3.5/5 (132 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About National Van Lines

National Van Lines excels at providing stress-reducing residential/commercial relocation and storage solutions. Whether your move is big or small, we handle it all with nationally recognized customer service, award-winning drivers and unparalleled attention to detail. Named a Super Van Operator of the Year by the American Moving & Storage Association, our cross country moving company holds a Better Business Bureau A+ rating. We’ll get you moving!

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Handles every type of move
    • Full-service packages available
    • Service in all 50 states

Cons

• May not guarantee delivery date

Bottom Line

National Van Lines is a moving company that performs every type of relocation. The company is an expert in specialty moves and offers additional services, such as storage and auto transport.

National Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

With National Van Lines, everything is taken care of. From the minute the movers arrive (on time, even early) to the minute they leave, the process is seamless and totally stress-free. Cannot recommend them enough. I especially loved how thoughtful they were when it came to wrapping valuables and antiques.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Outstanding from the minute they arrived to the minute they finished. Every detail was taken care of and not one scratch on anything. We actually had fun with the guys. They have great personalities and they made a very stressful time into an easy time.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The team arrived on time. Used them for the second time to move my kitchen accessories and 2 living room. They wrapped every item with care. Loaded and unloaded my items very quickly without wasting a single second. Also helped me to put all my items at their place, very helpful and cooperative staff.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

They are unreliable and undependable and have zero customer service. I am a widow and they lied to me and took my furniture, 56 years of belongings, and memories. It has now been 17 days and I still get nowhere in finding my things. I have called At least 20 times and they hung up on me, say this is not their department, or they have no information on my job number. They didn't bring the right size truck in the first place and had to come back, offload it and transfer it again 3 times. There is no telling where my things are.

It's a shell game, it's a scam. Three different times they raised my price, now it is double the price it was when they took photos and bid the job to get my deposit. My furnishings and move was held me hostage to pay up or they wouldn't finish the move. I'm devastated. I had both of my adult children there trying to work with them. But once they have the trucks gone is lost.

Original review: July 9, 2021

The team showed up exactly on time and called prior to arriving. They were very efficient and polite. They went straight to work, coordinating with the driver and following his direction. I could not have asked for a better team of movers to show up at my door. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Everything seemed fine before the move process, but the troubles began when the movers showed up. The driver's helper had no concern whether our items were damaged or not. We saw him punching and kicking boxes of ours to "make them fit". He dropped one glass yard art piece that cracked and he was dropping boxes marked FRAGILE from several feet - sometimes onto the ground from the truck. When we asked him to take better care of our things - he snapped at us that if anything is damaged - file a claim.

Well, we did file a claim for nearly $3,500.00 in damages, which included some of those boxes we saw the driver's loader punching. But the big ticket item that was damaged was a unique piece of furniture we brought back with us from the country of Panama. We designed it and a unique stain was applied to it. This matched several other items of ours with that we brought back with us.

After filing a claim, NVL sent an adjuster to look at things and of course, they disputed that big ticket item. The large crack on the top of the piece of furniture was caused by climate conditions according to that adjustor. A furniture repair guy in our town looked at it days later and said there was no way that climate conditions could cause that type of crack. Was this mishandled by the driver's loader like other things were? Probably! NVL refused to make good on it and we are now stuck with a $2,500.00 piece of furniture with a large crack in it.

They can't be trusted to provide a driver and loader who will take care of one's possessions and then use an adjuster (who was more interested in promoting his furniture repair business to us than looking at damaged items) to make false claims. The only reason we wouldn't give NVL a minus rating (if possible) is that at least our possessions didn't end up in a ditch or river. If we ever make a long-distance move again - we will definitely NOT be using NVL.

Original review: June 15, 2021

The three guys at First National Van Lines were fast, careful and courteous. They were very polite, on time, and took excellent care of my furniture. They went over and above what I expected. We had a 3/2 local move that required going from a condo on a third floor to townhouse. Nothing was broken or damaged in the move from their actions. They came prepared with a 26 foot truck with lots of furniture pads!. We are so grateful to them and will DEFINITELY recommend this company and if we need any more moving needs they are our first choice.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Absolutely fantastic moving experience with First National Van Lines! The movers were quick efficient and seemed very relaxed which is a perfect indication of a seasoned professional. They made an incredible showing all the way. Exceptionally expert and brief persevering team. We evaluated different movers, we had an incredible ordeal. This company surpassed all of my expectations. Upon arrival at the starting location The movers jumped out introduced themselves and were ready to get a head start as I proceeded to inform them of the items being moved. There's nothing real major to note during the onload other than they did a great job!

Original review: May 20, 2021

I had a 5 star experience using this company. From start to finish the team were efficient, clean, and fast. I did a local move but they really took the worry out of the day of move. I also dealt with someone in the main office and he was fantastic to help coordinate everything!

Original review: May 20, 2021

National Van Lines agent, Aaron ** and packing Driver Tommy ** made the cross country move a very smooth process. Communication was seamless and helpful. A very professional team gave me great results. I highly recommend National Van Lines.

Original review: May 20, 2021

We are completely satisfied with National Van Lines. We moved from Colorado to California. Our first contact was Aaron **. He was able to set up the move and provide an estimate by email since we are not always able to answer the phone; this was very convenient. Aaron always responded promptly and answered all of our questions. The move went very well. Our mover Nate called to let us know that he'd be there on a Wednesday morning, and he was-as promised. The guys were very friendly and respectful. They took special care with all of our furniture. We were impressed with how much they wrapped everything. We were the only family on the truck, which meant that they were going to be in San Diego in a couple days, so we high-tailed it out of town. We beat them to our new home, but Nate kept us in the loop about where he was and his status.

Just as when they packed all of our stuff up, they took special care unwrapping it, and offered several times to put our bed together and help with organizing the furniture. On a personal note, all of the guys were very personable and we had some great conversations. After not really talking with strangers for over a year, it was nice to just talk with people and joke around. Whenever we move again, we'll definitely contact Aaron and request mover Nate. They made a stressful situation into a seamless and easy one.

Original review: May 15, 2021

They had so much patience with having to move their truck to let people get by on a narrow Brooklyn street. Fast, gentle with older furniture and just so kind! Was the least stressful move I have ever had! I would recommend this moving company and these guys to anyone in a heartbeat! Thank you for making this so easy!!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Excellent, convenient process and professional movers! We had a wonderful experience with the National Van lines, from arranging our move within a week to having it completed in 2.5 hours with Frank and his extremely efficient team. Highly recommend!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Great guys, very professional and had good teamwork from our experience. They showed up right on time and helped make our move so much easier. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! especially if you want as little stress as possible added to your move. Thank you guys so much! And I will definitely recommend/hire you guys in the future.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

We used National as referred by an acquaintance who is in the moving business. We bought insurance and were led to believe it was to cover our belongings enroute from Washington state to New Hampshire should something catastrophic happen. When the truck arrived, the driver said he was still trying to round up help to unload our things. He went on to say he doesn't like to come to our area as it's hard to find help and if he can't find anyone he will have to take our things and come back with help.

Three hours later two exhausted men who had been working all night showed up. They were careless with our boxes even joking that FRAGILE meant to throw it around! I watched boxes stacked high fall to the floor of the moving truck. I packed all of my boxes extremely well before we moved but after I finally had everything unpacked, there were several broken items including antiques. The truck even broke my sidewalk when it rolled in. So, I filed a claim for $600.00. I received an email from Patty ** saying they owe me nothing because of my deductible but could contact her with questions anytime. I called and left a message to discuss how my belongings were handled but my call was never returned.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I had two separate moves in two days with National. The first, from Berkeley, CA to Portland, OR, was managed by Robert ** and his crew, They were fantastic...very efficient and friendly. Everything arrived in perfect condition. The second move was from Berkeley, CA to Brookline, MA. Lars **, who was the boss of this one, and his crew were terrific...also very efficient and friendly. Again everything arrived in perfect condition.

Aaron ** at National was the one who organized these moves. He was a pleasure to work with and was very pleasant about all the emails I sent him adding and subtracting items from both moves. Each move involved deliveries to two households; they were flawless. I highly recommend National and would certainly use them again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We moved recently across the country from Illinois to Oregon - a daunting prospect at first even to think about. Aaron **, the National coordinator for us, took charge immediately, got us "down off the ledge," so to speak, offering sound and helpful advice throughout on what to expect and how to get the weight of the move down. (Of course, the move cost is based on weight when it is long-haul.) Aaron was always reachable and able to be consulted at any time. He handled all the questions we had and was quite straightforward; his updates were timely. Although there was some elasticity involving the moving date, it wasn't unreasonable and when the movers showed up at the Illinois house, they were on time, worked really diligently, carefully and speedily - and were very good natured into the bargain. That was a tremendous crew, that Illinois crew: they loaded a four-bedroom house in six hours.

The van driver from Illinois to Oregon, Robert, was friendly, thorough and very professional. He called ahead for pickup and delivery a day in advance and was on time as he said he would be. Although there was again some elasticity in the delivery date, when he and the crew arrived to unload, they worked hard. The cost of the move was fair because fairly calculated. We have only two complaints: although we asked explicitly for the crews to wear masks, neither did. Then again the Oregon crew was a bit less careful than the Illinois one: some dings, damage, and loss occurred at the unloading end. But the damage was minimal and such things occur in any move.

All in all, National did a good job and we rate it a good move especially by comparison with other moves we've made. We did a lot of homework before committing to National for this move and it proved out: the company did what it said it would. (From other reviews, it looks like who your coordinator and driver are really matters. We recommend Aaron and Robert.) Rating should really be understood as 4 1/2 stars.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

The initial call started out fine, friendly, etc. However, when you are just getting an estimate - obviously not guaranteed - and giving personal information about your home and belongings to a moving company you have never used before, in this day and age, it does not feel safe to give out your address. Of course, if we decided to go with this company, they would need our address, and maybe that might change the estimate. Fine, I don't have a problem with that. But the agent would not proceed with an estimate unless he had our address to check out trailer access on Google maps. Even our general block #, ie. 8100 block of *** would not do. None of the other companies required this to give an estimate. Perhaps this company has some limitations that the other companies do not. So we chose not to use them.

National Van Lines response

We can’t speak to the practices of our competition, but National Van Lines insists on being thorough and accurate with our quotes from the beginning of the process. We apologize if our methods created an uncomfortable situation. That certainly was not our intention.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

National Van Lines has helped me on a number of occasions moving business equipment between projects without any problem. Jacob and his crew are courteous, prompt and keep my moves within budget. I highly recommend them for your next move.

National Van Lines response

Thanks for your 5-star review. National Van Lines agents, team members and drivers work to ensure every move is stress-free. We’re glad your move was fantastic. Best wishes for many years of enjoyment in your new home.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

The prices are competitive and they were super efficient! Would recommend to anyone. Thanks again guys! They made moving so smooth and took great care wrapping any furniture that was breakable. They were extremely speedy and efficient. They paid close attention to not damage any furniture and had a plan for the heavy boxes.

National Van Lines response

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The six man crew did an excellent job moving my family today. They were careful with our belongings and were efficient, hard-working. and professional. They finished the job in less time than expected. They’ve all taken the time to make sure that everything was to my satisfaction and it continues to be this way as they unload and set up the furniture to my liking at my new home.

Hi Amenda,

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

The two guys that came showed up right on time for the window that they had given me, they moved fast and didn't waste any time. They moved everything very quickly and carefully. They were also very friendly, personable and professional. Professional. Thanks guys, for a great moving experience!

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for your absolutely glowing review. National Van Lines agents, team members and drivers work to ensure every move is stress-free. We’re glad you had a “great moving experience.” Best wishes for many years of enjoyment in your new home.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

National Van Lines is fantastic. I had a bit of a shock when the moving company I had originally booked fell through five days before my move. I called National Van Lines and they were brilliant and helped me out immensely. They were very kind, provided me with all of the information I needed and contacted me nearer to my moving date to confirm my booking. On moving day the guys did a great job and made my long day much easier. I highly recommend National Van Lines.

Hi Jendelia,

Thanks for your absolutely glowing review. National Van Lines agents, team members and drivers work to ensure every move is stress-free. Best wishes for many years of enjoyment in your new home.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Had such a great experience with National Van Lines. They came right on time, called beforehand, and were in and out of my first apartment within an hour and I had a LOT of stuff. They packed everything up very nicely so everything was in great condition when moved. Definitely the quickest, easiest move I've had thus far in NYC! Would definitely recommend National Van Lines.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your glowing review. National Van Lines agents, team members and drivers work to ensure every move is stress-free. We’re glad your move was fantastic. Best wishes for many years of enjoyment in your new home.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I had a few problems with the service but they repaid it in their excellent service. I wasn't expecting a moving company to be as courteous. They ended up giving me a really good discount which I wasn't expecting at all. I've been really pleased with what they've provided me.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I would say that they're a great moving company to work with... Although not the ideal one, but still pretty great. Particularly, I was happy with the quick service. They're also pretty personal when you come to think about it so I'm pretty pleased with these guys.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

These guys were great. Nothing broken, came on time, rolled with the punches when the storage unit we were taking things to was temporarily closed. Reasonably/competitively priced compared to other companies.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

The team was prompt and professional. I was thoroughly impressed with how quickly they were able to load and unload our office. They were respectful, hardworking and did everything we asked. It was super hot and they didn’t complain once.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

While this company wasn't the most expensive, it also was not the cheapest. I selected them because they were pretty much in the middle and had what I thought was a good reputation. The problems arose almost immediately after unloading was done. I discovered several nicks and damage to furniture, which I never claimed but rather fixed myself. However, as more unpacking was done, I then discovered that several items were just never delivered. One was a portable Olympic typewriter that was in a case and in pristine condition. It never showed up.

Two 30 lb. dumbbells (I am a former weightlifter) also came up missing, as did an electric saw in a case. The blades shipped separately arrived, but never did the saw they belonged to. Since then, several smaller items of less value, but still sentimental, also came up missing. My two phone calls to the company were never answered and I simply wrote these items off to experience. I might also also add that I have made three previous moves due to promotions in my job, and had never had even close to the same experience.

Ronald,

We're sorry to hear about this situation. National Van Lines, however, is unable to find a record of your transaction in our systems using only your first name and last-name. Would you please provide us with the bill of lading number (a six-digit numeral) for this move? This information will permit us to investigate the matter. If you're unable to locate this number, please tell us the name of the local National Van Line agent(s) who helped you move.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

They were respectful to me and with my items. They moved an 800 pound safe like it was light and put it exactly where I wanted without scratching or damaging anything. These guys were on time, actually 10 minutes early and were very respectful and professional. I highly recommend!

National Van Lines Company Information

1929
    2800 W. Roosevelt Road
    Broadview
    IL
    www.nationalvanlines.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: