2.7/5 (206 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Like so many other reviewers on here the initial call went great. Then things just kept getting worse and worse. I called to get a quote. They were higher than PODs but they price matched PODS and the customer service rep (CSR) was amazing so just off of the way she was I decided to go with 1-800-Pack Rat. That’s where the awesomeness quit. I scheduled the initial delivery few weeks out. It arrived the day a scheduled but super late in the afternoon and I was given the impression it would be in the morning... and since someone has to be there on the initial drop off to sign paperwork there I was waiting...

Driver finally showed up and he was friendly enough. We figured out the best place to put pod and make level and went from there. I called and scheduled the pick up and honestly I don’t know when they got it but it was gone by when I came to sign paperwork to sell my home in Nashville TN. I was told whenever I wanted my belongings to be dropped off to call 10 days in advance. Two months later I called to schedule by drop off in Chattanooga area and they said it wasn’t 10 day window but rather 15 days. I said ok and pushed it two more days so it would be on a Friday and I could just unload my stuff on that weekend. The unit was dropped off late afternoon, it was not leveled like before. But at this point I was just wanting to unload my belongings to get into my new home.

First thing the following morning, Saturday, I called to schedule the pickup. They said it would be 14 days. I told them I had already discussed with my HOA that it would be there 10 days max but I would try to get it gone faster... They said they would send an email to the local supervisor to see about getting it scheduled sooner and someone would either call or email me Monday. Monday came and went. So I called again Monday evening to see what the status was. The CSR put me on hold and called over to the local facility. Said she spoke to supervisor and someone would call me to see if they could accommodate my HOA as they were very familiar and understood my predicament. No call Tuesday or Wednesday so I called back that Thursday to see what the status was. The CSR put me on hold and called over and once again told me someone from local site would call me.

At this point I figured whatever... guess it would be picked up the following Friday... 14 days from scheduled delivery. Well on day 12, Wednesday I receive a text saying they had a truck breakdown and my container would be picked up Sunday. So now it’s 16 days. I wait around all day Sunday and nothing. So I call a little after 6pm because customer service closes at 6:30pm. She informs me that I’m scheduled to get my unit picked up that night between 7:00-11:15pm. I didn’t have to be there but did have to answer the courtesy call. So I stayed awake until 11:30pm waiting on this call so that I didn’t accidentally sleep Thru it... and as one can guess. There was no call.

So at 8:15am on day 17 I call to see what’s up and the CSR says the driver timed out at 14hours. I completely understand that they don’t want their drivers driving and moving these containers past a certain amount of hours for safety. I then asked what I feel is an obvious answer but just wanted to confirm... “I’m moved to the top of the list for today to pick up the container correct?” The CSR had no idea. She once again called the supervisor. After being on hold she comes back and said “The supervisor will see what he can do about putting me back on the schedule” Are they serious? How did I ever get off the schedule? I would think that I would be at the top of the schedule.

I asked the CSR, so I’m definitely going to get a call from the supervisor about when it will be picked up. She replied “He should call you... but if he doesn’t then he won’t.” I literally got Forest Whitaker eye when she said that. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed resolution. I had a trailer scheduled to be dropped off at 6pm that I scheduled a while ago that gave plenty of buffer for them even tho there really should t be a buffer required. She said that she would email the supervisor and then she would call me back whenever she hears anything... 2 hours later and of course no call back...container still in my driveway.

The only reason I’m not giving them a 1 star rating is because the initial call and set up was that great. I swear she was the greatest CSR on the planet. And because after reading other reviews 1800 pack rats always ask... My customer order #**. My phone number is in my customer account.. At this point I just want the container out of my driveway!!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the delays and lack of communication the customer experienced during the move. It is never our intent to create more stress during an already stressful time. The Resolution Team has been working on the account and confirmed that the pickup is back on track and a refund has been processed for the issues.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

We have had the worst experience possible with this company. It started out fine, as our shipping crate was delivered and picked-up from our home in California, but the trouble started once we began to make plans to have it delivered in the DC area. We had to call several times in order to arrange drop off as they could not contact the facility on several attempts. On the day of delivery we got notification that our crate was on its way, but after an hour we got an additional call stating that the truck had broken down and that they would update us.

We didn't hear back from anyone after this point. Since then (over 24 hours ago) no one has been able to tell us where our crate is or when it will be delivered. At this point we've lost a ton of money and time not being able to stay at our new apartment, cook our own meals, etc. And for all we know, our shipping crate could be on the side of a highway. We will absolutely never be using this company again and will not be recommending that anyone else use it.

Hi Grace,

We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I ordered a storage pod from Packrat to be delivered on 7/28 and had booked movers to load the pod on 7/29. Packrat never delivered the pod and singled handedly delayed my moved - causing me hundreds of dollars of extra costs. They never even called to explain themselves/apologize. My recommendation to anyone is to pay up and use another company. My order number is ** but I have little faith in Packrat reaching out, acknowledging their mistake, and making me whole.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Ravi, We apologize for the difficulties and thank you for reaching out here. I have sent your order number to our team and one of them will reach out directly to you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Absolutely awful experience. I am in the middle of a move with 1-800-PACK-RAT and my container has been delayed by multiple days over and over again. If you are parking your container somewhere time sensitive, be warned, you absolutely cannot trust the drop off or pick up date to any container placement. My drop off date was delayed by 1 day which probably would have been more if I had not kept calling, but my pick up date was delayed so far by 9 days. Please do not use this service unless you can afford to have a container sitting in your area for weeks on end.

Patrick,

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

1-800 Pack Rat has been the number 1 worst company I've every had the displeasure of dealing with. I was a quoted a "Total Move Price" of $7,335 for a long distance move. This does not include the monthly rental cost for the containers which was made very clear from the start. When it was time to charge the remaining balance, 1-800 Pack Rat charged over $500 additional. After finally getting a customer service representative on the phone they explained it is a fuel surcharge and it was in the terms that I signed. Very shady practice - just know that the "Total Move Price" they provide is not the total amount. They could have very easily mentioned this and added an estimated amount during the initial quote process. I was able to get 1-800 Pack Rat to refund half of the fuel surcharge.

Don't be fooled by how quickly the sales department picks up. As soon as you are already customer and not a new potential customer, the wait times are in excess of 45 minutes to talk to customer service. Try the phone number and see for yourself before you commit to a large purchase. Classic bait and switch. The original dropoff and pick up of the containers went smoothly. I placed airtags inside the containers as cheap insurance to know where they were. They are at the destination facility within the quoted timeframe.

Today was dropoff day at the destination booked over two weeks in advance. My dates have been strategically laid out to stager my containers and get them unloaded and picked up before being charged for a second month rental. Beware, they will not prorate so if you go one day over they will charge you for a full month of renting. Around 2pm, I had not heard anything from Pack Rat. I called and after reaching a customer service representative after an hour on hold they told me I was on the list for delivery and they could deliver as late as 10pm. 4pm rolls around and I get a text (no phone call) that my container has been rescheduled for the next day. As a customer who paid over $8000, you would think a simple phone call would be appropriate as a courtesy to let me know they screwed up. Nope, absolutely no regard for you as a customer.

I'm glad I didn't book movers as so many others I've seen in the reviews do only to face the same delay. After waiting over an hour on hold to reach a customer service representative to reach some sort of resolution I gave up. I'll just have to hope it shows up tomorrow and unload everything in a day instead of two to keep my pickup date. If you try to move the dates at all you'll be stuck with moving them several days/weeks out to the next available date.

Separately, their web portal is pretty abysmal. Think late 2000's in terms of usability. No ability to edit or change billing information (a pretty critical feature IMO for a service billing you for so much money). Receipts for charges have no details on them - just the amount sent in an email. Payment history does not even exist under the View Payment History section of the portal. Bottom Line: Stay away. I wish I read the reviews before I placed an order with Pack Rat. I went with them because of the higher weight capacity and a slightly lower price than their competitor. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone with the competitor and sold off more stuff to reach the lower weight capacity. Compare reviews between 1-800 Pack Rat and their competitors and you'll see Pack Rat is the worst. I'm dreading having to deal with two more dropoffs and two more pickups. I'll update this review depending on how those go.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for all the problems our customer experienced during his move. Our Resolution Team has reviewed the situation and processed a refund for the issues. We appreciate the customer's detailed account of his experience as we continue to work on our customer service and moving processes.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I don’t usually leave reviews and think that people who leave negative reviews are salty outliers, but here we are. Get ready for another saga chronicling this painstakingly, ridiculously inept or just plain malicious company. And my story doesn't even seem as horrific as some of the others. IN BRIEF do not use this company if you want your stuff on time and do not like calling every single day to get it. 4/29: Reserved a pod. Initially my experience went well – they took $300 off my original quote by price matching. 6/10: I had to change my “moving to” address by 5 miles and the increased by quote by $500. 6/24: Empty pod arrives without difficulty. Received several reminder calls from Pack Rat the day before and driver day of delivery. 6/26: Full pod picked up with no difficulty. 6/28: Charged $400 more than the 2nd quote given earlier in June. Likely the extra gas charges noted in other reviews.

7/12: Pod delivery day. Was called at 8am by driver to say it would be there by 4pm. Does not arrive. Called driver x2, no answer. Called Pack Rat, they said driver has until 11pm. 7/13: Called driver, who said her route was changed and she was not my driver anymore. Called packrat several times and they eventual acknowledge they were not sure where the pod was (hadn’t been checked in to receiving facility). 7/14: Called Pack Rat, they continued to “send e-mails to the facility”. 7/15: Called Pack Rat, they called facility and my pod had been there the entire time just not marked entered. Planned for delivery on 7/17.

7/17: No calls from driver so called Pack Rat. First person says no one answered at facility, so they sent an email to confirm my container was there and a delivery date. Read reviews online with similar stories as my own so got fired up and called again. This time they stated the forklift was down and affected all the customers. They confirmed they thought my pod was there. Drove to this facility at 4:30 pm – no one there despite being open until 10 pm. Moving company to help move another customer’s stuff from the pod said a driver left at 4 and wouldn’t be back until Monday. Could not locate my or pick-up people’s pod in outdoor pods.

7/19: Drove to facility again. Supervisor there was actually super great and helpful - he allowed me to see my pod (too high to be accessed), confirmed the forklift was broken and they were being sent another. They were 3 days and approx. 70 deliveries behind. Provided me his number for further updates. 7/20: Still no forklift. 7/22: Called Pack Rat and was told I would be contacted with a new delivery date. 7/25: Charged another month of rent even though I was assured I would not be. 7/26: Called, they promised to refund my account for the rent in 3-5 business days (which they did) and scheduled pod drop off on 7/27. Scheduled a new empty pick up date for 8/7 because that was the earliest day (only really needed the pod for 12 hours).

7/27: Things arrived!!!! Remember, this is 14 days late. 8/3: Called for refund d/t delivery being late. They hadn’t actually scheduled a pick-up date. 8/4: Did actually get the $50/day refund which still left me paying several hundreds of dollars more than my original quote in addition to having to buy clothes/ housewares until my things showed up 2 weeks late. 8/7: Empty pod was picked up, and I was officially free of this company. In summary, don't use this service. It's that simple.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the lengthy delays our customer experienced due to the broken forklift. Our goal is always to make moving an easier and stress-free experience and we clearly missed the mark here. Our Resolution Team has reviewed the order and provided compensation for the delay. We greatly appreciate the customer taking the time to provide us with details from their move. The feedback is vital as we work to provide a better customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

This company laid out a schedule and timeline that was not followed. Nothing that was initially presented ever took place. Communications were not kept accurate in their web portal nor through phone conversation. We were charged for a rental service that did not occur. As of today our household possessions are still sitting in CA and they were supposed to be delivered to PA (our new home location) yesterday. When asked why our containers did not transport, it was mentioned that a "system error" happened. We are now having to wait another two weeks for our possessions in our new home. We are beyond dissatisfied with this company and will never use them again or recommend them to others. In hopes that someone from 1-800-PACK-RAT reads this note, our customer number is **. We do have an individual assigned to assist us, but frankly it is too little too late. The company lack of responsibility and incompetency is unacceptable.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the delivery delay and the billing error. Our Resolution Team has refunded the erroneous charge and is working to resolve the delivery issues.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Run! They happily pick up your pod, take full payment, and then NEVER deliver your pod. The phone number puts you on hold for an hour and then says it hasn't left your home state. It was supposed to be here over a MONTH ago. NO communication.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Chris, We are so sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you’d take a moment to message us your order number and best contact number, we will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Worst Company ever. Said they collect empty containers 8/2/21. 9 days later still no pick up and they won't commit to a day despite me calling them every day. Had their guys talk over me and tell me "listen". Going to hire a wrecker to move them. Done with these clowns. Worst "CUSTOMER" Service Ever... Do NOT use these people. Drivers have been awesome but the management are scammers and liars.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Mark, we are sorry to hear about your experience and we would like to investigate this further. Can you please provide your order number and best contact number, so we can follow up with you directly?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

They missed two delivery/drop-off dates in less than a week. Both times they did not bother to inform me they wouldn't arrive until late afternoon. This caused issues and expense with labor, travel, and downstream planning. Hopefully we can clear out our house before closing. Who knows what to expect when this is delivered at the other end.

Joe,

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you experienced and can assure the customer that this situation has been thoroughly reviewed. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information