1.6/5 (118 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Resolution response: May 25, 2022

The final director I spoke to was apologetic for the experience. The supervisor before didn’t take the time that he did to look at the full history on the account.

Original review: May 23, 2022

100% DO NOT RECOMMEND especially military moves. We moved last summer. They missed the pick up of our empty unit, no contact… Got pushed back a few days with no follow up from their end. Ended up costing us extra $$ with our local storage unit because we couldn’t unload with the empty unit in the way before they charged our next month here. I called and at that time was promised a refund of $337.50. Well this negative balance has been sitting on our account since August. The person who promised this didn’t make proper notes and they are still holding my money. How a negative balance isn’t a credit is beyond me but the “supervisor” says that’s not the case. RUN FAR AWAY and find another way to move your items.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Amy, we apologize for the difficulties experienced with your billing and with the delays you encountered. Our goal is to deliver only the best customer service, particularly for our military families, and we missed the mark. Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you and resolve the matter. Your feedback matters and we will continually strive to improve.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I first contacted a Business Development Specialist (salesperson) in mid-February two months before I required a container. She was very nice and provided a prompt quote for my needs by the next day. Issue #1: Immediately after receiving the email quote I started receiving text messages and calls to my phone to call an 800 number about my quote.

Not just one, but up to five every 24 hr. period. Thinking something was wrong I called and was put through to the regular sales line where a random salesperson picked up. I explained I’m getting all these urgent text messages about my quote and they said “yea they’re just reminders”. I emailed the salesperson back and said this is a good way to “lose” customers rather than gaining. Who came up with “this” system? Badgering after a quote is agreed on? She offered to take my phone number off the system and this stopped the spamming.

Issue #2: Near the end of March, now one month before the move, I checked in again by trying to call her as she said to contact her directly in her previous email. Her email signature closing includes her number and extension. When I call I get “this extension is no longer in use”. Ok, not a big deal but it just adds to the growing list. We speak through email and I find out that quotes are only good for 7 days. Ok, I will call and place the order within 7 days of my requirement. In the meantime, I’m offered a “My PackRat account” with a login ID and password. I try logging in and the “copy and pasted” password is rejected.

It’s now the last week of April, five days before I require the container. I waited so the quote would remain valid through the 7-day limit. I call and get a random sales associate and put my order in referring to all the details I’d gone through over the past two months. We agreed on the Friday of this week I would receive a 16 ft container by 10 AM.

I gave her my Credit card and received a confirmation email. Two days later I noticed while reviewing the confirmation that the destination address didn’t have a name, instead the street address was repeated on two lines. Not wanting to have a problem with the delivery I called back to get this corrected. Once again a random sales associate (no way to talk to the same person) checked it and it was correct in the “system” but for some reason not in my email confirmation.

Issue #3: When I said I was looking forward to receiving the container this Friday the salesperson said “I don’t see that your order is in”, What???? “Yes there’s a quote but there's no order to deliver”. I said, “You've got to be kidding!" She entered the order and I said, “I’m sure glad I called”. It’s now Friday morning 8 AM, I’m on site waiting for the container that’s scheduled to be delivered before 10 AM. I have to leave for the airport by 2 pm to fly out of state so time is critical. 10:00 comes and goes and no container, I’m not surprised at this point the way everything else has gone so far. My phone has been on and there’s been no calls from the driver. I don’t have my computer but only a smartphone now so I bring up the website and see a chatbox.

Issue #4: “I hope you’re ready for this one.” I put my name in and a person comes back right away. I typed my order number and explained that the container is late and I’ve heard nothing from the local company. The person types back that the order reads “anytime delivery”. What???? I typed back “you've got to be kidding!" (This phrase is starting to take on a life of its own). In the middle of this an apparent automated response comes up that reads “We haven’t heard from you in a while, do you want to continue this chat?” I look at the previous message timestamp and it's only 1 minute old. This deserves an issue of its own so we’ll make this #5.

The person types back that they will try to find out what the schedule looks like for the driver that’s supposed to be delivering. As I’m typing back my issue with time today, a message comes over the top that says “We haven’t heard from you in a while, would you like to start a new chat session?” And with that, I’m cut off, literally 60 seconds since the last message! Who would put a stopwatch function on a customer service chat window? Especially when you’re trying to type each word on a phone. I want to talk to “THAT” person! It’s now 11:30 and I get on the phone, a random salesperson picks up and once again I go through my whole story.

Issue #6 (wait for it… here it comes.) He explains that there’s three time windows you can choose from; morning, afternoon or late afternoon/evening. There’s a $50 charge to make a selection, otherwise to save the $50 you can choose “anytime”. “I don’t care about the $50.” I said, “Why did three previous salespeople not tell me about this?” “Why am I only hearing this today after it's too late? Why did the last person select “anytime” when I clearly said 10 AM or earlier? The salesperson had no good reasons for any of this and I think he sympathized with me. So on top of not knowing about a preferred time of delivery that I could have chosen, and not receiving a call from the person who’s supposed to be delivering today even just to tell me “anything” about a possible time, the salesperson now gives me the grand finale; issue #6.

He says it appears there’s a problem with the dispatch yard that services this area and no containers are available today, perhaps next week. There’s a long silence on the phone, I’m thinking to myself “I’ve been dealing with this company for two months setting this up, they know it's not a simple house move across town that could be done “anytime” but instead a cross-country move that requires coordination between the pickup location and drop off and it's now come down to this… No container and I have to leave the location where my stuff is in just two hours”. At least there wasn’t a 60 sec. timer this time because it was probably a whole minute before I composed myself to came back with a response. “So what am I supposed to do?” I said.

He again stated perhaps next week they can get one here. I said I would have to put my things in storage but with only two hours even that’s going to be a challenge because my parcel is over 2000 lbs. He offered to cancel the order and there would be no charge (Oh that’s nice to know). Ultimately I was able to arrange alternate shipping that same day and confirmed with Pack-Rat over another call that I wished to cancel the order. The salesperson confirmed that it was cancelled and asked for a reason for the cancellation. “Wow, where do I begin” I said. I tried my best to do a 60 sec. synopsis of this whole mess and when finished she had the nerve to say “So the company did not meet your expectations”.

I couldn’t believe it, she tried to make this sound like it was “my” fault. That “my” expectations were too high to expect not even one out of three salespeople could tell me that I have an option to select a time of day if I need a specific time even though I said I did. And I’m expecting too much for my order to be placed into the system even after I pay with a credit card and we both agree to a drop-off time and location. And I’m expecting too much to receive a phone call when no container is available on the day of delivery, instead, I have to call. All I can say is “WOW”. This company completely dropped the ball and lost a $2700 sale for what should have been a very simple transaction. Buyer beware.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so sorry to hear that you encountered so many problems, Wayne. This is not the type of service that we work hard to provide our customers, and we apologize that you did not have a good experience. We do appreciate you speaking with a member of our Resolution Team to go over the situation and to allow us to get a better understanding of what happened. Thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback as we work to improve in these areas.

Original review: April 7, 2022

1-800-Pack Rat billed our credit card $700 over the quoted price of the move. I went online to look at the billing on my account however they do not post any detailed billing in your account info. So I contacted an agent by phone and I was informed that it was an error, and they would credit my account with the $700. Not seeing the credit after a couple weeks, I called back 2 more times and was told the same thing by different agents. After another 2 weeks I contacted the company via on line chat. I was told there would not be any refund because the $700 was for an expedited delivery (which I did not request). They said the agents were confused...?

Then I was told I was not actually charged for an expedited delivery but there would be no refund because the charges were for the fuel surcharge. I was well aware of this possibility but was not informed in any way that my card would be automatically charged for any amount. Nor was I provided an itemized breakdown of the additional costs before my card was charged. I have been told I need to wait a couple of business days to see the itemized receipt. At this time, I waiting to see that itemized bill to understand how it totals $700.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the confusion with billing and the frustration this caused our customer. A member of our Resolution Team was able to speak with Louis to discuss our billing policies and provide an itemized receipt. We appreciate the feedback as we are always striving to provide the best possible experience for our customers.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Updated on 3/2/2022: Someone did call... and offered to help get the container delivered. All I wanted was the costs so I can make a decision that's best for my son. The options seem to be to pay for the "long-distance" delivery or drive a truck to the facility and empty the container. We are exploring the options. That your customer service people can't tell you what a particular warehouse's delivery area is is a bad thing. This should be known and should be published to customers BEFORE they lease a container. You guys are not making this easy.

Original review: I rented from PackRat for my son when moving out of college. He wasn't sure where he would go next (same city or different city). Not a problem says PackRat... They lie. It's a big huge expensive problem. If you want the container delivered to a different city, you would expect them to quote you some changes, but have the ability to make it happen. No, they do not. You have to get the container delivered to the "service area" of the warehouse storing the container. Now, ask them to tell you what that "service area" is, what zip codes, and THEY CAN'T TELL YOU. So you never know if moving across town, to a new town, or across the street if you will be able to get your stuff. So now the only resource is to hire a truck and go to their warehouse to get the stuff and drive away. For this, you are still paying HUNDREDS of dollars in fees.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are truly sorry for the lack of clarity regarding our delivery zones during the ordering process and for the additional stress this has caused Mr. Mark and his son. We appreciate him communicating with us in order to go over all the options and find a solution. We hope the rest of the move goes smoothly.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Our experience with Pack Rat was a nightmare. They misled us and it ended up costing us $700.00 more for a move we explained to them was happening once we purchased a home. They informed us that the call was recorded so they could go back and check. They did that; confirmed we mentioned the move, but still said we waited too long and that we would have to pay additional $. These folks are crooks - stay away

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Charged a similar price to a full moving company ($6500 vs. $8000) to go 452 miles, but still lost track of the 16' container so took 9 extra days to get it. They only offered a small $50/day refund BUT, except for one unfriendly driver, they were all friendly to deal with. Bring the logistical side up to the level of the customer service side and this would be a great company IF you can afford them.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the delays that our customer experienced and the issues this caused. A member of our Resolution Team has looked into the situation and has processed compensation for the appropriate amount. We greatly appreciate the helpful feedback that was provided as we are always working to improve our services.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

We recently hired ZippyShell (1-800 PackRAT) to move our goods from Denver, CO to South Lake Tahoe, CA. To saw we've been disappointed is an absolute understatement... we hired ZippyShell to pack and pick up our goods in Denver, CO as it was a rental and our tenant was moving out. We filled out the bill of materials to pickup and the sales individual was very helpful.

We then got a call from our tenant the day of moving that the mover did not show up with any moving blankets (which we have a recording of the sales individual saying that they would show up with packing material ie tape, boxes, etc). Our real estate agent helped us in a big way and ran to Home Depot to supply zippy shell with all of those items. Later, we got a call from our tenant stating that the mover forgot ALL of our porch furniture and a TV hanging on the wall (all of which were signed off on by the movers that they had packed). I called ZippyShell and they said they'd send the movers out the next day to grab the TV & the porch furniture as the shell was still in Denver... This pickup never happened either- we had to end up giving the buyers of the home the porch furniture ($700) and TV ($650).

Things got worse.... When I met ZippyShell to unload the shell in October, I was met by very friendly (3rd party) movers. As they were unloading, they mentioned our $1600 Dining Room Table had a bunch of scratches and was chipped based on the way it was poorly packaged into the ZippyShell... They said take pictures ASAP and send in to 1-800-packrat. Upon unboxing everything else, we noticed that they Scratched/cracked our 85" TV ($2000) and completely scraped a mattress to the point that it tore. (We have photos from our tenant the day of loading showing that these items were in pristine condition so that he received his damage deposit back.)

We submitted the claim to ZippyShell on Oct 19th, 2021 and they claimed it would take 90 DAYS!!! No one ever came to look at the items for the claim or contacted us. Keep in mind we PAID for their moving insurance as well... Following this, we received an email from their claims dept on Dec 31, 2021 stating that they wished to offer us $575.15 vs the claimed amount of $5,534.34. When we said we want to appeal their claim decision, we received the below email: "The 1-800-Pack-Rat Zippy Shell claims department has received notice of your desire to file an appeal regarding the determination provided on your claim. The claim will be re-evaluated by our leadership team and a final determination will be provided within 7-10 business days." Since then, we have received no correspondence from Zippyshell and it's been over a MONTH!!!

We are going to spend the $$ to make sure that this company makes this right for us. We want to make sure we leave this review EVERYWHERE we possibly can to warn individuals from using Zippyshell (AKA PackRat). We are in discussions with attorneys and will be approaching ZippyShell ASAP with legal action should we not hear back from them in 48hrs of our last email. BEWARE!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

The claims team advised due to the circumstances surrounding the incident, 1-800-Pack-Rat could not accept full liability for the damages sustained to the property. We apologize for the damages incurred and will take the feedback into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience going forward. Despite the initial determination made on the claim, our team is currently in the process of working with the claimant to arrive at an agreeable resolution concerning this matter

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Buyer Beware. We booked a container on 1/21/22 for 1/28/22. I got a confirming email that the container would be delivered on 1/28 22. I confirmed the delivery of the container on 1/27/22 (no problems). On 1/28/22 I reconfirmed in the morning. (No Problem). I was told the container could be delivered up until 11PM and that I would be notified an Hour before. By 2PM was getting nervous so I called again to reconfirm. I was told that the delivery date was moved to 1/31/22. I went ballistic. Mind you no one called me with this information. 1/31/22 was worthless to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor who proceeded to tell me she didn't know what happened. I was beside myself at this point but I know this is not her fault so I tempered my response.

This is a management issue and we cannot take this out on employees of a badly run company. The supervisor told me she needed to find out what happened. I told her I would stay on the line. She informed me that she is required to email the facility to get an answer. Do you believe this? In the end no one called me back. I advise you to look elsewhere for this service. You don't know if they will ever show up. Now I know what kind of response this review will get. Owner: "I'm sorry this happened to you...Blah...Blah...Blah." Again, Buyer beware.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Ray, unfortunately, due to severe inclement weather, we were unable to deliver the container on your original date. We are deeply sorry for the problems and hardship this caused you. We regret that we were unable to provide you with a seamless move. Thank you for sharing your feedback as we are always working to improve.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

We had a complicated move from a house in OR to an apartment in AZ and finally a house in AZ. So that meant multiple containers that went to different locations (smaller one went to apartment, then 6 months later the 16 ft went to the house). We were in the apt looking for a house, so needed some things not everything. The 16 ft remained in storage. We were able to go to the PHX warehouse (drive inside where it was cool in August), consolidate what we didn't need in the apt into the 16 ft (because who packs perfectly the first time) and then go on our way. The 16 ft was delivered last week and picked up on time. The containers must be handled carefully because after 7 mos., our belongings were in perfect shape the way we packed them. The price was reasonable, customer service was great - I couldn't be happier.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Alex, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

1800 Packrat is the worst company that I have conducted business with. First, the company's prices are not competitive as PODS has lower prices, and they refuse to price match. Second, they are crooks and only care about money. I rented one of their storage containers and held it in their storage facility. I paid $422 monthly for this service. I began storing my items on July 1, 2021. On December 30, 2021, I asked that the company deliver my container to my new community. I was unsure whether I would empty the container but paid the fee to temporarily deliver it to my property. We had a snowstorm and bad weather that delayed the company's pick-up. Ultimately, I emptied out the container and asked them to pick it up from my property on 01/05/2022. I also asked for a partial refund of the storage fees since I had stored my container/items for 01/2022, but they refused.

My container was on my property since 12/30/2021. 1800 Packrat was closed from 12/31/2021 - 01/03/2021, so they could not pick up my container. Additionally, the bad snowstorms caused the delay in them picking up the container timely. The packrat customer service team is rude and unprofessional. They are also heartless and money-hungry and only cared about charging me for a full month of storage that I had not used. They refused to refund even a partial amount of the fees. I hate this company and will never do business with them again. They are unscrupulous and greedy. Fast forward to yesterday and they charged me another $87, for which I am not sure about. They are criminals and should be sued out of oblivion. They siphoned over $500 in fees from me for January for a container they have in their possession, which I am sure they will rent it out if someone needed it. They are corrupt and have no conscience. Very unethical company.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for any billing miscommunications and for any added stress this has caused. A member of our billing team has discussed the billing process with the customer and due to the scheduling of the final pickup being after the rental date, we were unable to waive the charge in this situation.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

DO NOT USE this company's service under any circumstance. I wish I could rate in negative. Even one star is way too high for the service they deliver (better say not deliver). I wish I had checked the reviews other than they provided on their website and never made this mistake of choosing them. Don't waste your time and money. JUST find any other moving/storage company out there to save you from all the trouble they can cause and they never hold themselves responsible for any word they promised. I needed storage for a month and moving was local < 20 mile in MA. Date finalized a quote: Nov 3rd, 2021

1) Getting quote/scheduling --> pretty straightforward, I have to admit they were very pleasant and responsive till the end of this part. Once you shared your credit card information and booked then it will take forever to reach out to them over the phone and I have a screenshot of my cell phone for how long they keep me waiting on hold till someone respond, still the representatives are not very helpful at all, they keep sending you from service to billing back and forth and funny while they are doing it they are asking if there is anything else they can help me with, well- you didn't help at all in the first place for one thing you are responsible to do, why keep asking this Q!

-- I was initially told by (Zack) the driver's working time is between 7 am till 5 pm. I was told the drop off is between 7 am to 1 pm on the scheduled date for my address (if there is a delay, it won't be past 5 pm). This time frame was working well for me, so I didn't pay extra 50$ to fix it a AM or PM delivery.

-- Emails with the details of the plan and charges sent over me and asked me to create an account, for any possible changes I can do it myself (it never worked, so I had to call them over and over and after long holds, they can find other available time for you.

It is a delivery day and no show up, all my unit stuff moved to the front of the complex and we kept waiting, after 1 pm when they didn't show up and didn't even care to communicate that on Saturday Nov 27, I called and was told the driver will be there between 3:45 -7:45pm and they send a message to the facility to let them know that we are waiting. It was cold and we were tired and had to ask the mover to leave as it was passed their time. Called them at 7:30, I was told there is no delivery for that day and they actually working from 7 am till 10 pm so no other driver can do it for that day! Shocked by the way they respond and never apologize for all inconveniences- After complaining this issue with the manager "Carlos"- he said he will send an email and try to see if they can deliver it tomorrow but no definite time frame provided. I had to leave my stuff in front of the complex overnight hoping nothing will happen!

In the morning I called 5 times to make sure they will have the delivery for that day as my lease ended and I couldn't stay longer in there. Now I scheduled the drop off the container that they stored in their facility for a month to the new address. While we are waiting in the new apartment, after we were told that it's on schedule for today they didn't show up and once we called them again- they said their facility is not working that day.

I had to extend my stay in the hotel as I don't have access to my stuff to stay in the new apartment. And Of course they don't try to make it up for the next day delivery, they told us they don't have access to the facility plan and had to schedule it to MONDAY! Another 3 nights added to my bill staying in the hotel plus forgetting that I paid the mover to unload my container in advance and have to pay them again for rescheduling it for another day! So RUN from this company!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are deeply sorry for the delay in delivering the container and for the hardships this caused. We can confirm that a member of our Resolution Team is now in direct contact and is working to get this resolved as soon as possible. The container has now been delivered and a team member will be working with Sara to provide the appropriate amount of compensation. We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to make this right.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

We had arranged a long-distance move from California to Georgia on 12/18/2021. The agreed upon pick up of the container was for 12/24/2021. First, the person who assisted us originally forgot to add the 10% discount, the total before the discount was $298.86 for delivery of the container, $6,182.50 for the transport & insurance totaling $6,481.36, before ending the call I asked about the discount and he said he will add it on which now made the total $288.86 for delivery of the container, & $5,564.25 totaling $5,853.11. We paid for the delivery of the container at $288.86 that day.

Next, the pick up of the container for transport to Georgia was scheduled for 12/24/2021. On that day the driver texted well past 9:00 PM (which we missed the text because it was late & the house was asleep) saying he was on his way. Then received another text saying he was rescheduling the pick-up due to a car parked in front of the container. Mind you it was past 9:00 PM & were we not even given the chance to get the car moved for the pickup. The next day I called, with no answer, & text the driver to ask when they would arrive to pick up the container. He texted back it would be sometime that day. He never showed. I again called, with no answer, & text the driver to ask when they would arrive to pick up the container. He texted back it would have to be the next day (that would be 12/27/2021, 3 days after the agreed-upon pick-up date).

On 12/27/2021 I again called, with no answer, & text the driver to ask when they would arrive to pick up the container. I never even received a response. On 12/28/2021 I called 1-800-PACK-RAT, & spoke to a woman who was very rude but said she would email the local location to see what was going on & the location manager would call me back. Never received a call back just an email stating that the pick up would happen 1/3/2022 & our agreed delivery date of 1/17/2022 in Georgia would be 1/22/2022.

Today, we were charged an additional $628.25! So upon contacting customer service we were told that the discount was applied & the additional cost was for fuel. Which was never disclosed or agreed upon. We asked to speak with a manager where he stated that we have to wait for the container to be delivered to request a refund for the late delivery but we should have been told about the fuel so there is nothing he can do. So now we are stuck paying for an additional $628.25 because they can keep our belongings if we dispute the charge. This manner of business is unacceptable & we are now going to contact an attorney to see if this is even legal.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are very sorry to hear about the issues that occurred with pickup and for the miscommunications with pricing. We are happy to know that a member of our Resolution Team was able to reach out to go over all the problems Brandy encountered and to provide compensation for those issues. We appreciate the honest feedback and will continue to work on improving those areas in the future.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Went will this company due to numerous reviews. The purchasing process was easy however; the first unit did not arrive on day scheduled. Received a call the night before confirming and was told that we were the 2nd drop off the following day. The scheduled date came and no unit, made multiple calls with the assurance that we would hear from someone and never did. Were also told that the unit would be delivered the following day. The representative kept telling us that they had to email someone and wait for a response. Finally reached them the following day and we were told that they did not deliver on Sunday.

When we initially booked we were told that we needed to call a couple of days in advance when we were ready to move, reached out today as soon as we got our closing date and they cannot pick them up until 10 days later. Again we were told that someone would contact us and we did not hear from them. They allow the booking to take place acting as if it would be an easy transition and that misrepresentation cost us time off from work and no resolutions. We are now sitting with two full 16' containers and no way to move them. We are heading into a holiday weekend and we are older, leaving us stressed and still waiting for a call and a resolution.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Thank you for reaching out with additional information, Marybeth. We apologize for the continued issues you have experienced. After looking into your account, it appears that the units have now been picked up with no outstanding balanced on your accounts. The compensation we discussed on our previous call has been applied.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I ordered a container for the 21st of December and I get a text the next day saying you will not receive a container until the 27th. Bruce told me to cancel my order because of no guarantee by the 27th plus they hit me for 500.00 dollars? This is not my fault that your trucks are broke down. Pretty sorry excuse!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Jeff, We apologize for the delay and the frustration this caused. A member of our Resolution Team has made multiple attempts to reach out and has been unable to reach you. We can confirm that a refund was processed in the full amount and there were no further charges. We appreciate the feedback as we are always working to create a better customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Ordered container. As per quote TOTAL MOVE one price but oh storage rental etcetera not in quote total. Says small print further down monthly storage rental. Great hide Packrat. The rep and its recorded says to me they don't put rental fee in with destination quote. Why not? It's part of the charge for the month. Then added a month charge and fuel surcharge. So much for total move price. The month charge is for certain states but they know what state I'm in. TELL ME ABOUT THE CHARGE. I was under impression from sales rep no hidden fees total in my quote. Do yourself a favor. Don't use. Rent a truck. Those pods don't hold a lot.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I just got done using 1-800-PackRat for a local move/storage of a container for 6 weeks. They ended up overcharging me $700 in undisclosed fees as well as charging for storage when the container was not in their facility. This is an absolute scam by the company and when questioned about it they dismissed it and refused to refund. I've disputed the overages with my credit card company and will never use this company again!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the billing issues Mr. Nico encountered and the frustration this caused. We can confirm that a member of our Resolution Team has been in contact with Mr. Nico and they were able to communicate our policies, as well as compensate for discrepancies found in the final statement. We appreciate him following up with us with additional information.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Charged cancellation fees after they had recommended an early delivery. That disrupted my schedule, so I wanted to reschedule for next year. Very disappointed. Will never use or recommend. Shame on me for trusting others reviews that seemed genuine. I think that this company has poor service. They do have outrageous prices. But in our time that was the market. They are not recommended as a viable preferred company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

We packed our Pack Rat storage containers/units, three of them, and had no problem with them picking them up in Larkspur, CO. We told them we would be storing our stuff at least a year, probably more, while we travel the nation; then we'd be relocating to the Pacific Northwest sometime in 2021. We were not warned that they had limited delivery in the PNW. Here we are in Eugene, Oregon 22 months after leaving Colorado, and we called to get our three storage containers delivered only to be told they don't deliver here, but we can go unpack the units 130 miles away.

Eugene is Oregon's third largest metropolitan area. It is not unreasonable to expect them delivered to our home. We paid $6700 to them for moving and delivering them. That's in addition to the over $22,000 we paid for them to store our units for the last 22 months. That's a lot of money they've gotten from us. They are willing to reimburse us $100 per container for lack of home delivery, seemingly a whole $300 makes up for their lack of service. So wrong. Now we have to pay even more to try and get our stuff home. To say we are disappointed, frustrated and angry feels like understating our experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the stressful and difficult situation our customer is in. While we do provide services in every state, unfortunately, we are unable to provide delivery services in certain areas. We are deeply sorry for the problems this has caused. We appreciate our customer providing a detailed account of their experience. The feedback is vital as we are working to improve our communications and customer service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Had to call them at 9pm on the day I was supposed to receive my pod, wait on hold for 45mins, just to be told they had to move my delivery back by 4 days. Don't trust these people to keep their word. Terrible business.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the problems that were caused by delays on our end. A member of our Resolution Team has confirmed the cancellation. We appreciate the feedback as we work to improve our services.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

DO NOT USE... under any circumstance. I would give 0 stars if possible. Scheduled delivery of my items weeks in advance. Was called by a driver that morning to advise he was on the way then never showed. That evening PACK-RAT sent a text saying my delivery had been rescheduled for the next day and that was CONFIRMED. No delivery happened. Got another text message two days later saying that delivery was now CONFIRMED for that day. Again, no delivery happened. I counted on 1800-Pack-Rat to help facilitate my local move and they have been such a let down. There are large items in the container that cannot be picked up at the local facility that my family has been without for almost a week now... washer & dryer, my daughter's bed, toys. My family NEEDS these things today! Order #**.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are deeply sorry for the delays and the difficulty this has caused our customer. Our Team has confirmed that the billing department has adjusted the fees due to the delays and issues that have occurred during our customer's experience.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Don't use this company!!! They didn't deliver the date they promised and there were multiple phone calls to their "customer service" department waiting a minimum of 45 minutes. When someone finally answered the phone they had no idea why it didn't deliver and thought it would deliver the next day. Well the next day came and by noon there was still no call or sight of them. Called in again and they had no idea when it might deliver and couldn't manage to get in touch with the local warehouse to find out when it would. They answer the sales call real quick though!!! Someone picks up the sales calls in about 5 seconds, they just can't deliver on what they sell. In the end, we never got a moving pod and due to how late it is, we will have to move ourselves in a U-Haul because there is no time to find a good provider. Save your money and the hassle, they are terrible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

You are on constant hold and then they do not really provide help. I ordered a pod from them and it was to be delivered on a Wednesday and it was not till Thursday and late. They said they sent me a text telling me that, what is with that, call the person not a text. Then it was to be picked up on Friday and then found out it was rescheduled again to Saturday. You keep calling them to find out what is going on and you're on hold over 1 hr or longer, and when a call back comes in, you're still on hold for over 30 mins or more. When you mention a lawyer they say they have to end the conversation. They are scared. Do not use them at all. You will be sorry.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

We placed an order for a POD while our home was being built. Unfortunately our builder ran into the POD and damaged it. Luckily we had insurance. We called to replace the damaged POD and that was as easy as it could be. However when they arrived to replace the POD, they were unable to help open the damaged door so we could move our belongings into the new POD. We were instructed to keep the damaged POD until we could find a way to open it and pull out our belongings. Fast forward and our builder helped open the damaged POD so we could move the items into the replacement POD. We contacted PackRat to come pick up the damaged POD. First, they couldn’t even locate my account and the POD number. Eventually they scheduled the pick up date and then we were informed there would be a pickup fee.

The gentleman on the call immediately thought that couldn’t be correct and stated he would try to remove the fee. However he came back on the call with a different and horrible attitude. He stated that the fee would remain. I informed him that this was not a “pickup” as the replacement POD was still onsite. At no point when we called in about the damaged POD did anyone mention a fee for a pickup. And nobody charged us to have the replacement POD delivered in the first place. It’s not our fault they were unable to pick up the POD at the time of replacement. However now we’re being charged because they are treating this as a pickup. The gentleman continued to state that we would be charged for another month rent, which is ridiculous since this is a damaged POD they were unable to remove originally. He refused to allow me to speak to anyone else, claiming he was already the supervisor.

I asked who he 'spoke to when he first tried to remove the fee" and he couldn't answer. He continued to state that I could talk to whomever as there has to be a charge for pickup. Again, this makes no sense as the policy is to replace and remove a damaged POD at no cost. It just happened that they were unable to remove the damaged POD at that time...so why is this now becoming a returned POD? And why am I being told I'll have to pay for another month for it? This is complete insanity and I honestly regret that we also used them to store our belongings when we sold our house (but before this new home was completed). Your company started with wonderful service and now has lost a customer and I'll forever tell everyone to NEVER use 1-800-Pack-Rat.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

The drop off in AZ for a long distance move arrived on time. All seemed good. I had ordered the delivery of the container for October 22nd and I am still waiting for the drop off. Every time I call I am told by customer service they will call the facility in Puyallup WA. and find out where my container is and every time I am told that they could not speak with anyone at the facility but my delivery should arrive that day...yet here I sit, another day of sticking around the house all day for a delivery that does not happen and no answer on where my container is at the end of the day! Beyond frustrating!!!! No one will call me back and no one seems to know where my container is with all my household items!!!! I also had movers scheduled that I will have to cancel. I will also have to reschedule the pick up if and when the container arrives. Do yourself a favor and do not use Pack Rat!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I signed an agreement with 1-800-Pack-Rat for a long distance move. I was to be charged an initial storage fee once the container was stored in the local warehouse and the transportation fee once the container was in transit. My card was charged on 9/25 for the storage fee and 9/27 for the transportation fee, which was in direct breach of contract as the container was not yet in transit. My delivery date was scheduled for 10/15/21 and I had called customer service at minimum 6 times from 9/29/21 and 10/15/21 to ensure my container was in transit. I was assured that the container was in transit and on time for delivery, including the day prior on 10/14/21.

On 10/15/21, I called once again to find out a delivery window and was told the container never left the origin facility. At that point, I was transferred to a manager Brandon who gave me a series of excuses, including "we misread information," and there was "some kind of issue trying to get dispatched." Apart from that, he offered no additional information, explanation or reassurance. A new delivery date of 10/26/21 was scheduled, as this was the best he could offer, and promised me that the container would be shipped from the origin facility that day (10/15/21). I requested that the storage fee to be charged for the upcoming month of November be waived.

I contacted the origin facility warehouse manager on 10/19/21 as I had not received any updates and was told the container had still not shipped. Upon speaking to another "manager" I was told that he had to email the warehouse to verify that I was not lying. I demanded additional remediation and to be escalated to a Director, but according to Dennis, he is "too busy." The final offering was a $50/day reimbursement, but not including Sundays. This has been the most stressful and upsetting experience I have had with a company, and this is not my first long distance move. My husband, 10 month old and I have been living out of suitcases for the past 3 weeks with no real assurance from the company holding all of our belongings hostage. 1-800-Pack-Rat has the most abhorrent business practices and need to be held accountable for their complete disregard for their customers along with the breach of our contract.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are truly sorry for the delays and the hardship this has caused our customer and their family. It is always our goal to provide a smooth and stress-free move, and we regret that we missed the opportunity in this case. Our Resolution Team is reviewing the situation and working to get this resolved.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The Pack-Rat located in Issaquah Washington is worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Started out on Sept 8th with a order to deliver to my home on September 24th. They were very helpful. We set up the dates to remove it from my old house to my new one on October 10. Then remove it from my new house back to Issaquah Pack-Rat storage area, on Oct 13th.

Everything was good the quote was all in writing all good to go. That is when Pack-Rat made their mistakes. When I called the Pack-Rat and like anyone would double Check on the time for delivery to our new home which we paid extra for early pick up to our new house. They said, "I’m sorry. We do not deliver on weekends." I have it in my paperwork invoice that they would pick it up on the Weekend.

In the meantime we have the 16 ft van loaded and 12 people planning to-come over and unloading the van. Everyone coming over work working people and that was the only date available. Pack-Rat said “They said they see where the dates were made for the weekend and the employee must of had a glitch in the computer system”. They apologized but said we would have to bill you for the delivery to our old house. I told them it was their mistake not mine. So I had my daughter come over with her friends and unload the Pack-Rat. All my friends came over on the10 as it was scheduled and took the stuff from the van and moved it over with trucks and cars.

Pack-Rat did offer to move everything on Monday but between me in a wheelchair and my wife with hand problems we could of never got it done at all. Remembered this was a scheduled date and paid for time. We told Rat-Pack to come pick up their Pod on October 11th. They can not remember if they picked it up or not, finally on October 13 they came up and took it to the Pod Storage area In Issaquah. They took almost $500.00 from my card. Then after that they took off $150.00. How could you honestly ask for any money and not fill the responsibilities that were written in writing?

They told me that they were sorry and they were wrong, someone should of caught this, but still needed to charge me. I have asked for managers until I’m blue in the face. So the lesson learned do not Trust Pack-Rat in the state of Washington. Order number **. Also contacted the BBB. This Pod sat empty since Sept 10th because Pack-Rat after signing the contract could not fulfill their written requirement.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Their motto - TOTAL CUSTOMER SATISFACTION...NOT... Just like Democrats, they say one thing and do another. They do not prorate monthly rent of the containers, so plan your job accordingly or you will be billed for the entire month. Their sales reps are great at hooking you up, but then the stress started for me. They were two days late delivering containers after I paid extra money to get the time, and did this months in advance. Perturbation of crew to load the thing and time spent by me to reschedule. I confirmed two days in advance and their reps assured me they would deliver on-time, even at night cause they have lights on their trucks, which the local office said they never do nights, thus they LIED.

They were three days late picking up the container for the long distance move. This is totally unacceptable and is not the way to satisfy customers. In fact it is deplorable to LIE. They have people looking at screens in one state and the actual physical movers are in another and not connected very well. After a day of delay they claimed truck breakdowns, not before the scheduled delivery, not good customer communication. I had to call to get my money refunded, otherwise they would have kept it. When I inquired about rental costs, the rep hung up on me midstream in a sentence, after blurting out "Read your contract". It will be an easy decision to use someone else next time.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I used 1-800-PACK-RAT to ship a pod long distance. I did so as I had used them for local storage and locally the service was good. The same group delivered and picked up the pod to ship it out. From there, nothing. Pod was supposed to be delivered 10/6/2021. A week later, no pod. No call, text, or email reaching out to explain the delay. Since then I have made four calls, spending hours, finding out nothing of value. They shipped it to the wrong place, it’s now allegedly in Florida but their Richmond facility is down so they can’t ship it here. What’s wrong, when will it be fixed, when can my property be here, no answers.

Read the other negative reviews, many have the same problem. Bottom line, if you need your property sent in a timely manner, and expect a company to provide answers, then please, please, please, use somebody else. If however you never want your property again, or perhaps your mother in law is inside (just kidding on the mom in law part), then this is without doubt the best company to use.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We booked a container that was picked up from our home over 3 weeks ago for a move from Evanston, IL to Oakland, CA. It was supposed to arrive 10/7, we got a call a few days prior saying that the container was still in Chicago with no driver. They promised that we would get it Saturday 10/9. Oakland requires obstruction permits for containers, I had already gotten them for the 7th, then I had to pay the City of Oakland again to issue new permits/signs for the 9th.

On Friday the 8th, we called to verify that the container would be delivered on the 9th like they promised and they said yes. Three hours later while I’m on the way to the City of Oakland to get the new permits, they called to say that the container had not left Chicago, and now we aren’t expected to get it until Saturday the 15th. We also had to pay them the total amount upfront and we don’t know when we will get our stuff, this is a very stressful feeling situation to be in because there is nothing we can do except hope that our stuff shows up one day.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the delays and the frustration this has caused our customer. Our Resolution Team is investigating and working to get this resolved.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! This company is extremely profit centered. They put corporate interests in front of customer needs and concerns. Not only was my pod not delivered when scheduled, but the terms of only offering prorated rates for rental storage for 7 days from when term began was not communicated clearly. Our date was on the second of every month and they refused to offer us the prorated rate even though we are having container picked up on the 11th—only 2 days more than the 7 day grace period. We have no choice but to have it picked up this date because we don’t close on our home till 10/09 and earliest pick up is 10/11…it’s outside our control.

We are a family who has experienced financial hardship and challenges from COVID, a move, caring for our 10 month old son, and having to live in an extended stay hotel for months. I discussed my concerns with three agents and a manager who appeared apathetic and stoic when I expressed said concerns. This company and its employees were not empathetic to these extenuating circumstances and did not show compassion or care to consider offering the prorated rate. We have paid over $2500 plus $900 in storage fees…The $298 a month storage fee is quite high and if it were prorated we’d only pay 1/3 of that amount which is a life saver for us. Yet, this company is clearly focused on only serving corporate interests and putting those said interests above customer welfare.

I will never use this company again for any move in the future as I do not wish to support a company whose tenets rest on greed and uncaring, apathetic attitudes towards their customers who rightly need to be treated with more gratitude, care, and compassion depending on their individual situations and circumstances. PLEASE STEER CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY and put your business in one whose tenets take the customers concerns seriously and with empathy, care, and compassion.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information