4.7/5 (30 ratings)

About Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling offers modeling, acting and personal development coaching and classes for teens and preteens. The company also leverages its industry connections to help graduates with representation and placement. Barbizon works to build positive self-confidence in students in all of its programs.

Pros

• Designed to build self-confidence
  • 75 years of industry experience
  • More than 200 locations
  • Network of industry pros

Cons

• Does not accept all applicants
  • Does not guarantee jobs

Bottom Line

Barbizon Modeling offers personal development, modeling and acting courses that focus on self-confidence and life skills. Barbizon has 75 years of experience and an established network of industry connections.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: April 11, 2022

We're so glad we made the decision to join the Barbizon family. It is a very well-organized organization that my daughter and I and my husband, along with her siblings have enjoyed her being a part of. She is ecstatic about it. With them, her vocabulary and self-esteem have gotten better. Her fashion aspect has gotten bigger as well. She dresses nice and carries herself nicely.

Things are a little different for my husband and I financially because he is the only one working outside of home. I have been battling some health issues. Barbizon worked with us to make sure that our daughter can stay in her classes. They accommodated us. This is one of the best experiences my daughter can have as a pre-teen and she's loving it. We're loving the experience and her venturing out and meeting people from all aspects.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

My son and daughter are Barbizon graduates. They participated in classes one weekend a month for six months and they did different things. They did a little routine in their classes, which kind of built their confidence. I can remember my son doing something where they passed index cards around and everybody had to say something about the person in the group and they told the participants that this is how they should see themselves. I've recommended it to some people and most said that it's too expensive but it's an investment.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My daugther participated in the modeling classes. It helped more with her confidence.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

My daughter went to classes every Sunday for six weeks and the development of the skills that she learned there is awesome. And she can always come back to their school and freshen up. It's a lifetime guarantee and I trust it. Parents who are considering a similar program should do it because it's awesome.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

My daughter had a good time with Barbizon. For me, it was about the personal development and helping her come out of her shell a little bit. For her, it was something new. She had told me she didn't think she would be that excited about it but she's really grown from it. We had amazing teachers up until the last two classes. They had a bad experience with whoever Barbizon brought in.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

We completed everything. Everybody was fair with my daughter. She is supposed to be in placement. She got invited to Passport, but it was too pricey for me. I couldn't do it. But she liked the program. It taught her a lot. She got selected. They taught her how to walk well in the heels. She knows about a lot of the lingo. And her confidence went up. When she goes on the audition, they could tell that she has some type of training somewhere. So they would ask her if she goes to any school? We told them, "Yes, Barbizon." The school is very good and reputable. They have been around for a long time.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

They did what they said they were gonna do. All of the classes started on time. The classes were once a month for a six-month span. Each day we showed up to drop our kids off, they were very professional. It was always the same person greeting us each time. So that was impressive. You didn't feel like you were just thrown into something. I felt like they have their act together. The program gives your child a wonderful experience. It boosts their confidence and self-esteem. My son has met some wonderful people that he will probably be friends with for a long time. He's made those connections. It's always good to meet people and have that experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

My son completed the program back in October and he received a certificate. He auditioned and got accepted to attend Passport to Discovery in August. We worked with Mercedes and she was really good, as well as everyone else that I spoke with at Barbizon. Whenever we had a question or issue, I would reach out, and they would respond within 12 to 24 hours via email or they would call and clarify anything.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Having the payment plan with Barbizon was really helpful. My daughter loved teachers there. When they did some picture taking in class, they sent it to her and it was nice to see those. The only thing was the time was short. Other than that, my daughter can socialize now. Before, she only limits her socialization with her friends. When we go to a party now, she's not shy anymore and she can socialize with almost everyone.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I thought that modeling would be a fun thing to do. I looked it up and found Barbizon then I took all the little quizzes that they had just to get information. I put in my information because it was required to do it then they sent me a text one day and they were trying to promote Barbizon classes. I replied to the text and then they responded and asked if I could come in one day and we set up an appointment. Going through the program, I liked it a lot and I learned how to present myself better, talk to people, and do better in the street. The people there were nice too. They've definitely improved and done really well as teachers. Overall, it's definitely worth it and to just become confident in yourself. I've noticed that a lot of people would go over what they needed to have done for the next class and my advice is to do that because being prepared is also really important.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

My daughter participated in Greensboro and she finished and got her certificate. As a matter of fact, she's going to Atlants in about two more weeks with Barbizon to do a runway. It's a good experience for children, especially young girls if they want to get into modeling.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

My daughter enjoyed working with Barbizon and I liked how they boosted up her confidence. When she started, her confidence level was about a 5, and now she's about a 20. She made tons of friends there and stuff that she's still connected with, and how they still want to help even after she's graduated from the class. She has an agent now. She went and did a few modeling for pictures to be put on her website, but no jobs yet. We're still in the process of trying to get everything set up for that.

When we went to one place for her pictures, she shot with a guy that used to work with the Rolling Stones. She was telling him some of the things, but he was telling her to pose. She said that in school, they were not supposed to pose. But then he said that with fashion, she had to do it. Barbizon might be a little behind in the posing, like how the guy was having my daughter do motion moves for pictures and bringing her hands up to her face, because of hand models sometimes, you still put your face into it as well. She was nervous because the people were always telling her, "You don't do this. You don't do that." Then the guy was telling her, "You just keep moving while you're doing your pictures. The movement is where it's at." She was struggling. Barbizon could improve on helping the girls get more in tune with the different types of modeling. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

My child loves every second of Barbizon. He's kind of withdrawn and self-conscious of his appearance. He has special needs. Through Barbizon, he said he has made a lot of friends. Also, everyone there was very nice and understanding. You could tell they cared about the people in there. It was just a great experience for my child.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Barbizon made sense as they offered our daughter something that she wanted in terms of training to be able to move forward in the modeling world. Enrolling our daughter into the program would have been easier had it not been for the Coronavirus. That made our process of getting into the program a little lengthy from the moment we first reached out. I also had a few issues but customer service was great.

Families pay all this money to have their children go to this level of training. It would be nice if the children could at least have a portfolio once the program is over. We have nothing. It would be nice if they can have that where the children could at least start to sell themselves to agencies. It will be nice if they left with a list of local agents that the families could potentially reach out to or have some appointments to sit down in front of or at least have a mock or a legitimate gig in the real world. That would be most beneficial for families.

In the end, the only person who really gained anything are our children but at the same time, we don't know what they learned per se because there's no real tangible product. Once the program is over, my daughter goes to school. When she's in school, is she a model? No. There hasn't been a climbing step for her to get into the modeling world. She's still at square one even though she may know how to walk. Families are wanting their children to break out in that world. Overall, Barbizon is beneficial but you're still going to have to do the dirty work. For what it was, it was good and we would make the same decision again. I just wish there was something else. Once that part is over, what's next?

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Latasha, We are so happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your experience with the program. Regarding a portfolio, a professional modeling portfolio is collection of work done not just a collection of pictures taken. Should your daughter choose to pursue modeling opportunities, she will be able to build her book over time showcasing many different looks and styles for projects she has worked on and that will help her market herself in the industry. There is an opportunity available to your daughter that students are told about during the last day of their program called Placement. Once your daughter had received her certificate of completion, she is eligible to request her placement enrollment information. This is a free service which will provide her with a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that she should send submissions to in order to try and gain representation. Additionally, she will receive a model card to fill out and send back. Once this is complete, she will begin receiving notifications of upcoming modeling and acting opportunities in your area that she is a good fit for. She will need to call the Barbizon she attended to request her placement enrollment information if she decides she is ready to pursue industry opportunities. As students take our program for many different reasons, Placement is a service that requires the initiative of enrollment to begin branching into the professional aspects of the industry and we are here to help during that process.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The sign-up for the class with Barbizon was easy. But towards the ending of the class, they give more feedback to the child as they're going through the classes. I really didn't have any communication and it would have been a little bit better just to know how my daughter did. It would have been nice if one of the instructors either sent a quick email saying, "This is what I thought about her. This is what she can do." This is because the child is not always gonna come back to the parents and tell them things, especially if they are teenagers.

Also, Passport to Discovery was right after she ended her class. That was great. I enjoyed that and my daughter did as well. As a child, she needs to put a little bit more effort into it because there's only so much that an ambassador can do. We had Mercedes and she was really great in getting some feedback. My daughter is not her only client. But whenever I emailed her, she always responded to everything. The drawback for me and what I didn't do well, is making sure that my daughter stays in constant communication with them. This is her first year. At Passport to Discovery, the better you become at it, the better chances you have at winning those scholarships. It's unfortunate that the classes only last for six months and it was once a month. It was eight hours a day but did they really cover everything that could help her?

Another thing is we're still waiting on the placement card, which they told us would be out. That is a little disappointing. My daughter really can't do anything without those cards. Other than that, we will be signing up for Passport to Discovery again next year. You actually have to go through a virtual call again and be selected. My daughter did get called for a virtual audition but she keeps getting calls while she's at work. When she gets off, Barbizon is already closed, so we don't have the information.

Overall Barbizon is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You can do it for however long that you want and you can constantly still sign up for it. We would tell others to do it because they would be able to meet so many people. It's networking and you constantly receive help, which is good to help perfect what you need to work on. Barbizon gave my daughter an opportunity to come out of her shell a little bit, which is one of the goals of Barbizon. They get people that are interested in acting and modeling because they have to be a little outgoing in order to do that. You have to be able to get out there in order to talk to people and experience the best experience that you can.

As a consumer, I like the payment plan. But I hope it can be extended out. Everyone likes a little bit more time to make the payment. Being that it was in Orlando, the hotel in itself was expensive so I can understand the pricing of it. But by stretching the payment, somebody would be more inclined to do it. Overall, my daughter liked Barbizon and really enjoyed it. She would continue with it. The modeling is good.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Barbizon connected with me with regard to my 16-year-old son, Gabriel. A couple of times, I had to wait for customer service and they answered no matter what. But they really didn't communicate a whole lot with the parents. It was the minimum and it would be a little overwhelming. There would be so much information all at once. I tried calling a few times and they had random different numbers. I tried calling the coordinator and I would get somebody else when they told us from the very beginning at the orientation that this person is the person to be in contact with.

I also still wish that my son would have an actual agent. That was my impression from the very beginning. I hoped to have someone who would be mentoring Gabriel, even if it was over the phone, via Zoom, or whatever the case may be after graduation. But he was left to fend for himself. A lady called about two weeks ago stating that there was an opportunity for him to audition for modeling. I told her when to call us as I would have to be with him because he's underage. But no one has really bothered to call back. Gabriel really wants to continue this and he wants this to be part of his career. But there's really no opportunity. Even though they had one class every month for the last seven months or so, everything was sprung onto them all in one day once a month.

I was able to connect with one of the coordinators at one point in early September and I asked them what the next step was. The lady said Gabriel would have to do a resume and make sure he puts Barbizon down. That was something that they should have done with him while he was there. They should also give a list of places or agents. But there was none of that. Barbizon needs more work. But overall, I would still recommend them no matter what. We had a good experience and I am happy.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Jessie – Thank you for your review and we’re so happy to hear that Gabriel enjoyed the program! It seems like there may have been a miscommunication at some point regarding the graduate support services. If you have received the certificate of completion, your son is eligible for free placement services through your location. This includes a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that you should consider sending submissions to in order to try and gain representation. The Placement Director at your location would be able to assist with any questions you might come across regarding the process. Additionally, if you send back the model card that is part of the placement enrollment, he will be registered to receive notifications of upcoming modeling and acting opportunities in your area that he may be a good fit for. This service is available to graduates and during the last day of class, students are told they need to call and request access should they decide to pursue industry opportunities. As these jobs in a professional industry, aspiring models and actors best succeed when they are able to take the initiative to pursue these opportunities and we are here to help guide this process. We will have someone reach out to you that can answer any questions you may have regarding the placement program as well as what is needed in order to enroll.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Well I thought for the money this would be a great experience for my daughter, mind you this is a $3000 dollar classes! Well the classes that were offered turned out to be really great for her. Fast forward to completion. She completed July 23 2021 and it is now October 9, 2021 we have yet to receive her placement card or certificate! Reached out via email and numerous calls which clarified correct address still no placement card or certificate! Now still no response to calls!

Now this card is something “they” says helps them with auditions and other things. Well you would think they would make sure you received it and for the cost of it they should have their education department little more prompt about this and as fast as they swipe your money out of the account! Receiving that placement card and certificate should be just as fast once completed! Now great experience but overpriced and especially for them not to even do what they say after completion! Oh and if you are expecting any type of interaction after completion, nope think again! Once classes are over they're on their own! With a certificate or placement card which we have yet to receive!

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Nicole, Typically certificates are sent in the mail following graduation and should arrive within a few weeks. During their last class, students are encouraged to reach out to request their placement card to enroll in the free placement services as soon as they receive their certificate. Students come to Barbizon for many different reasons and not everyone is interested in pursuing the local placement opportunities. For those that are, the act of enrolling is a great first step to treating the modeling and acting opportunities from industry professionals in a professional, responsible manner. We asked the Placement Director from your location to reach out to see how they can assist to make sure your daughter is able to take advantage of all of the services available to her as quickly as possible. Please feel free to connect with local Barbizon for information or questions about their placement services and your daughter's status. If you have any issues connecting with your local Barbizon, our corporate office is always happy to assist and can be reached at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We love the staff at Barbizon. They were amazing. Miss Kim at the Tampa location was very knowledgeable and still, to this day, has been encouraging. My daughter signed up for some big thing in Atlanta, some showcase. So, we're looking forward to that and to see what else lies on the horizon. Barbizon follows up. Because my daughter's finished the program, she has to send a placement card in to possibly get connected with potential agents. Barbizon is a bit pricey, but the training and everything they provide are really valuable.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

The classes were very educational to my son, Caleb, because he is planning on pursuing his performing arts career. It was a wonderful experience and we loved it. Fortunately, my son placed first runner-up in his division when we went to the Dallas competition. He needs the experience for what he plans on doing after graduation. Also, the staff was wonderful and they even offered me a job. They loved Caleb.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

My daughter loves the program at Barbizon. She would come home and tell me, "Mom, I had so much fun." Everything went well. Everyone was nice and good, too.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I love the classes. They were so much fun and they taught me a lot too. I got to meet a lot of people and I even have some new closer friends from the program from my classes. I just haven't gotten many calls from agents. But otherwise, Barbizon has been really good for me. They have been clear with communication.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Tayi - We are so happy to hear that you loved your classes! Did you already sign up for Placement? If not, give your local Barbizon a call and make sure to request your Placement Pack. This will give you a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that you should definitely take the time to send submissions to. Additionally, if you send back the model card that comes with the Placement Pack, you'll be enrolled for notifications whenever there are modeling or acting opportunities in your market that you are a good fit for. If you have any additional questions or need specific guidance regarding Placement, please feel free to reach out to us at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com and we would be happy to connect you with the Placement Director at your location who can help guide you on next steps.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My daughter has done different classes. So, because we know Barbizon is well-known, when she received the call we kept saying, "Get on with it." She did a six-month program, and at the end of it, she was selected to be in the competition that took place in July 2021 in Baltimore, Maryland. I appreciate that they offer the free refresher courses with the amount of money that we had to pay for it. So, it is a great thing that the participants can come back to freshen up on things whenever they want.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

My daughter did some classes with Barbizon for a few months. At first she was scared, but after a while, she loosened up. She wasn't shy anymore. Then she went to Disney for a modeling competition. She did modeling and commercial. Everybody was nice, and everything was nicely planned out. There was a lot of people. Barbizon was a bit pricey. But it was good for my daughter. She liked it. She made some good friends while she was there, down in Florida, so it was good. Also, she has another modeling competition that she has to attend in December.

Resolution response: July 19, 2021

I am only the mother of a student. My opinion should not negatively affect this company or the students. I have talked to Mrs. ** and she is pleased with my child as much as I am. This helped my child to understand she can do this and go to school. I think my child will love this competition now that she understands this will not affect her school. Things are working out for my daughter. As a mother I look for the best things in life for my children. I am glad Barbizon picked my child as one of their students.

I would like to think Barbizon for working with me through my misunderstanding. I look forward to my child continuing her experience with the Barbizon staff and representing the company. I wanted to delete. Since I could not delete. I wanted everyone to know that if you have a problem the staff is more than ready to work with you.

Original review: July 10, 2021

At the first casting my daughter got in. I thought my child was special. It was very expensive. From classes to casting every time she made it to the next step. With every step there was money involved. My child is obligated to two competitions. Which both is pay for. Now my daughter is in her last year of high school and working at fast food. She is not interested in modeling. She plans on college after graduation.

Well now we find out no refunds. Not even partial refund. Thousands of dollars wasted because they refuse to give refunds after 3 days. I didn't receive this information until I complained. If 2 years later and my child still haven't completed or made any money. I think they should offer me some kind of settlement knowing my child will never go to these competitions. They refuse to let me pass to my niece. Saying it is not fair but my child doesn't want to go to any competition. I am frustrated trying to get these people to understand my child doesn't want to model anymore. Any advice or help please.

Original review: June 24, 2021

We've had really good experiences. My daughter did the classes that we had to go to in Tallahassee and all her teachers are good. Also, her confidence has gotten a bit better. She used to get shy when she first starts talking to people.

Original review: June 8, 2021

The people were very helpful during the enrollment. They were checking all the time making sure that I understood everything. Amanda loves everything about what she had learned. She didn't know about a lot of the stuff that she should learn in there like walking and makeup. It's really made impact with her.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I did have a little bit of hiccups in the early stages. For instance, I was getting charged fees and I didn't understand the fees, initially. I had my identity stolen so I had to get a new ID, bank information and so on. I didn't realize that I forgot to change it with Barbizon. In my mind, everything's been paid up. When I tried to pay it, there was a hiccup to where I got charged a fee because I didn't pay it on time. A few months after that, I got charged another fee because I didn't pay it in time but at the time, I wasn't working.

The girls over the phone are in Florida and because of the time difference, we were kinda playing phone tag. When I finally spoke to somebody, she was nice. It was just that they couldn't remove some of the fees that they should have removed due to the situation at the time. Another thing was when my daughter had one of the auditions inside a DoubleTree, the lady that helped there told us since we didn't pay, my daughter couldn't do it that day but what we could do was to fill out a paper. She said it loud to where people around me could hear. She wasn't really discreet with it. My daughter ended up going into class because I ended up going outside, getting the card and doing a whole bunch of other stuff.

The other big was the last payment that I made to pay it in full, the lady I ended up talking to when I was explaining to her kind of what was going on financially said, "We have a fund that we can help pay for the remaining balance. You just have to pay 165.” I was sitting there thinking to myself this whole time, trying to figure out how to make the payments because if I didn't pay, my daughter was going to be dropped. It was weird to me how finally for the last payment, I was offered that, when in actuality, I was dealing with something a little bit more serious like covid and losing my job. I still came up with 200 and some dollars to pay to make sure I paid for that month. That took food off my table. If there was a fund out there, it should have been offered to me in the beginning, not the last payment.

My daughter graduated about a month ago but I haven't received the diploma or the certification that she's supposed to get. I only received one phone call in regards to a placement or an audition and that was it. There hasn't been any type of communication between Barbizon and I since my daughter's last class or since the last offers for an audition. I wouldn't recommend Barbizon at all. I'm not necessarily very dissatisfied but there were things throughout the time frame that I felt that should have been addressed a little bit more in detail.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

We are sorry to hear there were hiccups in the early stages of your payment plan. In reaching out to the local school, it looks like they were not informed that you were having an issue with your credit card until late September 2020. They were able to provide instructions on how to change your credit card in the system. When the next scheduled payment ran in late October, their customer service team noticed the same card you were having an issue with had been charged. In an effort of customer service, they called to let you know and provided you with information on how to fix the issue as well as waive that fee.

While an account does need to be in current standing for a student to continue in the program and attend the class, our team is required to be professional, discreet and caring to ensure all of our families are able to receive the best customer service. If you believe this did not happen during one of your interactions, we apologize for the experience and would like to assure you that this is not in line with our company values. We would appreciate it if you would email additional information about the date you attended (or the program class number) so that we can investigate further with the local school and ensure every member of our team provides the same level of customer service.

Regarding the partial scholarship available for your family, in effort of customer service and in light of the challenges your family had, the local Barbizon waived a portion of the program cost to ensure your daughter was able to complete the program and have the experience she worked so hard for as well as access to the free graduate support services.

Regarding the graduate support services, it looks like no one has called yet to request a placement package following your daughter’s graduation from the program in mid-April. We will reach out to the local Barbizon and ask that they send you one, however students are told that if they are interested in pursuing modeling and acting opportunities beyond the training program, they need to call and request their placement packet once they have received their certificate of completion. This packet is available to your daughter at no cost and will provide you with a list of reputable agents and managers in your area that your daughter should send submissions to in order to gain representation in the industry. This placement packet will also include instructions for how to enroll in free notifications of modeling and acting opportunities in your area which your daughter is a good fit for. You will need to fill out the placement model card and mail it back to the placement office along with one or two marketable, current photos in order to complete your enrollment. Additionally, as a graduate your daughter is able to return and retake all or part of the training program at any time.

Original review: May 20, 2021

My child took six classes at Barbizon and she was in there with a bunch of kids way younger than her. So, that had a little bit of effect on what I thought about it. But it boosted her confidence. It was a bit pricey for what she brought out of it but other than that, it was good.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I have two children who participate in the Barbizon program and each person's development is different. My oldest seems to have thrived very well. She went to the local camp here once a month and she will be going to the Texas competition in a couple of weeks. She has enjoyed herself and had some good experiences. But I didn’t see much of a difference with my second oldest doing it. She was just there and mostly wanted to play in the makeup. Her walk is still terrible and she’s extremely shy. So, the program will work depending on your kid's personality. The staff has been positive although at times, it was difficult to get in contact or get the exact information I was looking for. But ultimately, whatever issues I had were resolved. Sometimes, there are inconsistencies but overall, Barbizon seems to have been alright.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I took the classes with Barbizon and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like learning how to do runway and how to take photos. While trying to get ready for Passport to Discovery, I had some issues with my advisor. She is not answering very well. Other than that, it's all been good. Everyone there has been very helpful.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Information