2. Modeling and Talent Agencies

4.3/5 (45 ratings)

About Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling offers modeling, acting and personal development coaching and classes for teens and preteens. The company also leverages its industry connections to help graduates with representation and placement. Barbizon works to build positive self-confidence in students in all of its programs.

Pros

• Designed to build self-confidence
  • 75 years of industry experience
  • More than 200 locations
  • Network of industry pros

Cons

• Does not accept all applicants
  • Does not guarantee jobs

Bottom Line

Barbizon Modeling offers personal development, modeling and acting courses that focus on self-confidence and life skills. Barbizon has 75 years of experience and an established network of industry connections.

Top Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Verified

My daughter saw them in the mall and filled out a form, and then they reached out to us. They were very pleasant and helpful, and very supportive. Since doing the program, my daug...

Verified

Barbizon was very well-rounded and very appealing to us. They were looking for a wide range of kids. It wasn't like they were just there to pick out certain kids and move on. They...

What is Barbizon Modeling?

Barbizon’s personal development classes help young people develop basic personal skills and self-confidence. Enrollees learn career-building basics such as resume development and interview skills. Voice and dictation, poise and posture, nutrition and exercise and etiquette skills are also part of the curriculum.

Barbizon’s mission is to help young people gain confidence and develop life skills that can be used in any career, not just acting or modeling. Barbizon also teaches its students the art of self-promotion.

Its modeling development curriculum includes:

• Runway techniques
  • Grooming skills
  • Model etiquette
  • Self-confidence training

Barbizon acting courses

Barbizon acting development alumni have appeared on Nickelodeon, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, Disney, HBO, movies, commercials, local theatres and other productions.

Its acting development curriculum includes:

• Audition practice
  • Commercial acting
  • Art of self-promotion
  • Improvisation
  • Self-confidence development

How does Barbizon Modeling work?

Barbizon Modeling has more than 200 locations in the U.S. Parents of teens and preteens interested in Barbizon programs can make an appointment with a talent director in their area. Fill out the form on the website to have a Barbizon representative contact you.

When you meet one-on-one with the talent director, you discuss your child’s goals and find out if Barbizon is the right place to help you and your teen get started. After that, the company conducts a personal interview and evaluation to determine if the applicant has the qualities and dedication Barbizon is looking for.

Once your teen or preteen is accepted to a program, they can attend classes. Instructors include industry professionals with extensive experience in acting and modeling.

Barbizon also holds auditions and talent searches frequently at local Barbizon centers. Contact your local Barbizon to find out how to attend an event. You can also enter contests sponsored by Barbizon, which include prizes such as shopping sprees, photoshoots and college scholarships. Check the Barbizon website for contest details.

Barbizon Modeling cost

Barbizon's tuition cost varies based on the location where you attend and the classes you take. Some Barbizon centers offer scholarships or payment plans. To find out more about Barbizon prices, contact a local talent director to set up an interview.

Barbizon Modeling FAQ

Is Barbizon a scam?
No. Barbizon is a modeling, acting and personal development company that has been in business for more than 80 years, offering training and placement services.
Does Barbizon get you jobs?
Many Barbizon graduates have gone on to acting or modeling careers. The company has industry connections and can help you make your own connections by assisting you with agency or placement services. Taking courses with Barbizon does not guarantee jobs in modeling or acting.
Do you have to pay for Barbizon Modeling?
Barbizon Modeling has tuition costs that you must pay to enroll and take classes.
Does Barbizon accept everyone?
Barbizon does not accept everyone. Applicants must go through a personal interview to determine if they will be accepted to the program.
Does Barbizon Modeling pay you?
Barbizon Modeling does not pay its students.
Where is Barbizon?
Barbizon has more than 200 locations in the U.S.

Is Barbizon worth it?

Barbizon Modeling has 75 years of experience in the talent industry. The company focuses on building self-confidence for young people while teaching them modeling and acting industry basics and knowledge. Enrollment in a Barbizon program can help students build a foundation for a career in acting or modeling, but the company does not guarantee jobs or representation with a talent agency.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: March 27, 2021

The first time I heard of Barbizon was in Puerto Rico because back in the '80s, it was a very renowned agency there and I am from there. And then I received a call and we went through the audition through Zoom. That was how Angela started attending the six-month classes last year. The only thing that I was a little upset about was that Angela missed a class last year. It was a December one. I was sick. I had the virus so I didn't send her. I sent an email and left a message saying the reason why. And then for the next class, I forgot to go to the email and answer the questions and reserve, and I didn't know that I had to actually reserve her space.

I only saw that the email emphasized the fact that to make sure that the child has not been exposed or has the virus. But Barbizon was able to accommodate her because six kids did not show up. But I was upset, and they know. The guys here know that I was not happy with that because if I am paying them in advance, they already have my money, why are they telling me that there might not be a space for my daughter for the next class?

Also, they should let the parents know ahead of time, not at the end of the audition, "If you are doing this and your daughter is going to participate in this, if she is selected, then in order to be selected to the Passport to Discovery or this other event in Atlanta, there is a cost involved." Because that is what happened with the Passport to Discovery in August. I didn't know. In the back of my mind, “I'm assuming there's got to be a cost in that.” And then obviously at the end, yes, there's a cost and the payments. I tried but then I realized it's such a short period of time for me to disburse of all of that money, so I couldn't do it.

Then we went to another audition and it was for Atlanta. And I said, “Okay. Well, it's a little bit further away. I have a little bit more time.” I had four months to make the payments. I was already committed. I said, “Well, Angela, I'm gonna do my best to make it happen.” This time was a bit less money, but still, it would be nice to let us know ahead of time. “This is an audition. But if she's selected and you'd like to do it, this involves a cost.” Because I don't want a child to be all excited and be selected. And then a parent would say, “Oh, sorry. You can’t do it because we cannot afford that.” Also, I told my sister about Barbizon for my niece, but her point of view was that it was a lot of money for a short amount of time. And they wanted the courses to be every Saturday for a year.

Everything else was great. I am very happy with the interactions with the teacher and I wish that it was a time when we didn't have the COVID so there will be more things and a bit more interaction than what they have been able to do. But even with that, Angela has learned a lot, which I'm very happy. We couldn't attend the one in August because of budget and also the situation, but we are going to Atlanta in December. Angela seems excited. She has made a lot of improvement. And we continue to practice at home.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My daughter started participating in the Barbizon program over the summer of 2020. She found out about the program and wanted to participate, so we started the monthly Saturday meetings. After a couple of them, COVID hit and they were very good about communicating with us changes that were happening. We were on a pause for a little while. They picked it back up when they could appropriately with face-to-face meetings and communicated to us about now we need to register and the seating availability because of social distancing. I never felt like, "What's going on?" I've had various people calling us. "This is the ambassador, this is the person in charge." I felt like they really were aware of us and I had a phone number that I could call if I ever had a question.

My daughter is very interested in and ready to have local opportunities prior to this summer. She thinks she's all set now. She's done what she needs to do, and now, she's going to become a star. She's 17, so it's a lot different than telling a 10-year old, "You're going to be on Disney Channel." She has some stuff under her belt, so she's definitely been chomping at the bit to do all the things we need to do to make that happen. She is participating in Passport to Discovery over the summer and we've requested a placement card as well. She got some headshots done and we're getting ready to put that in the mail.

We've been very in the loop with everything up until I had to contact the main office to request a placement card. The flyer that I had said, "Contact the main number." I called three times during business hours and got a recording. I said, "I'm requesting a placement card per this flyer," but I never got a callback. I then emailed one of the people that we have information for, and then found out the card had been sent in the mail. We had it and I didn't know.

When you call the main office, there should be systems in place for that. This is a standard thing. If a person could not have answered the phone during business hours, it would have been great to get a callback or even an email saying, "We received your call and it's in the mail." After I made that call, ironically, I got a text saying, "Would you be willing to rate your experience with Barbizon?", and I did. That took me to the Facebook page. I started looking at all the other comments and all the ones that were really low had to do with communication via the main office, specifically. As I was reading the negative comments, I feel like Barbizon is not set up to make every single child a famous movie star. People have to have your expectations realistic when they go into it. For my kid, it was good timing for her and her self-confidence. Whether she gets a single job or not, she's excited about the industry.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I want to get my son into acting and I was having problems finding somebody reputable so my friend told me about Barbizon. I put my son's application in and then didn’t hear from them. But then they came to Salt Lake and they wanted to talk to me and my son. They talked to us and then they decided that they really liked him. They thought he could do some work. They acted really, really frankly, and above and beyond friendly. It was beyond nice and kinda eerie in a way. But it's been great.

They invited my son to Atlanta to do one of their competitions. He did really well and he got a whole bunch of callbacks from a lot of different people. But I'm a little disappointed because it seemed like it was mostly people from that area and not all over the United States. Everybody that wanted to talk to us were all from the southeast area. Also, when they invited us to Atlanta, they said that if I wanted my son to go, I have to put down X amount of dollars, and then X amount every month. I didn't like that. It was really, really, really hard to come up with that money on my budget. I'm on disability. But overall, they are a great company.

I haven't explored everything that Barbizon can do because right at this point, I expect to just gain knowledge about the industry and what they're looking for. I would like to know more before I throw my son in there because I don't want to stress him out. He’s only nine and if he gets stressed out, then I get stressed out. So right now, we're seeing what he can do to better his acting ability or his modeling and then when we get comfortable, I'll start looking into the other extras that Barbizon has to offer.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

My daughter had nine classes, one each month, with Barbizon and I'd go over whatever the papers they give us where it said that for that month, they were going to show her how to do this and that. Every time she went to class, I'd ask her if they showed her what they said in the papers and she'd say no. She said they just talked or modeled, and that was it.

Then after she graduated, we never had anything from Barbizon. For example, I've seen that all the kids got calls from agencies but my daughter continued applying. They sent her placement cards, so she subscribed in some agencies, but nothing happened. Barbizon would call to say that there'd be a casting and if she was interested, she needed to pay them some amount of money for them to register her. But they were not asking us if we needed help on signing up something from the agency or if they thought it was a good agency that she could go to and that we didn't have to pay them for their help.

She's going to have a runway now in December, so let's see how it goes. We received an email from Barbizon saying that if we have any question, we should call whoever's in charge of the runway, instead of the mentor. We also didn't get any call from a mentor at Barbizon who could motivate her since she's the only one who's going to be rehearsing in the runway. But I wanted her to at least to have somebody who's going to be with her as a teacher. At least that way, she won't feel nervous. I know that if I go there with her she’s not going to feel nervous. But we cannot be there because of the virus thing. We only have to stay in the room or see it online.

Despite that, Barbizon helped my daughter a lot and she had fun going to their classes. She liked going to her lessons and that was the more important thing. There was one class where they did that little runway at the end and they did a video of them doing the runway. They taught them how to perfect their posture and my daughter thought it was cool. They also taught them how to do their makeup, which my daughter wasn't really good at, at first. And they taught the whole class how to do their eyebrows, which were some of the things that she never thought of doing, so she really liked that. She also gained strength in her confidence, knowing that she can be successful in certain things. We'd tell others to try them out, not give up, and that they can learn a lot of things if they go to the classes.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I was on Facebook when I ran across Barbizon Modeling and I asked my son if he wanted to do it because he and his friend had been taking pictures of each other outside, modeling and being goofy with the camera. I was like, “Well, I think you could do pretty good in modeling, if you want to try it.” We went from there and it went good. I was very surprised. He picked up a lot of things like how to express himself when he is taking his pictures. Before, he did not want to smile because he thought his teeth weren't perfect enough. I was like, “If you have a beautiful smile, you just have a beautiful smile. It has nothing to do with your teeth. It’s your personality.” He learned to embrace that, but he’s getting his teeth fixed as well.

The last visit was good too. My son wished that there was something where the parents could go and they could see their kids do more or see what they've learned, like a runway show. With all the COVID stuff going around though, it wasn't going to be able to happen. Other than that, the staff was great. They helped me out a lot when I needed help or I was asking any type of question. They had everything together and it was a pleasure working with them. He graduated September 5th. For his next step, we talked to different agencies and he got signed with a modeling agency here in San Antonio, Texas (Condra Artista).

We had to pay a processing fee for my son's information and then the agency gave us websites that we could go to. Everything is free for us. We go on there and we can sign up for different acting jobs if we want to do acting or if he wants to do a modeling gig somewhere or something that he gets picked for, then that'll be great. They also look out for him for different modeling jobs around San Antonio, and they’re also located in Austin, Texas. I told my son to tell his friends to go and apply with them and go and get the experience if they ever choose to go that route.

Resolution response: July 19, 2021

I am only the mother of a student. My opinion should not negatively affect this company or the students. I have talked to Mrs. ** and she is pleased with my child as much as I am. This helped my child to understand she can do this and go to school. I think my child will love this competition now that she understands this will not affect her school. Things are working out for my daughter. As a mother I look for the best things in life for my children. I am glad Barbizon picked my child as one of their students.

I would like to think Barbizon for working with me through my misunderstanding. I look forward to my child continuing her experience with the Barbizon staff and representing the company. I wanted to delete. Since I could not delete. I wanted everyone to know that if you have a problem the staff is more than ready to work with you.

Original review: July 10, 2021

At the first casting my daughter got in. I thought my child was special. It was very expensive. From classes to casting every time she made it to the next step. With every step there was money involved. My child is obligated to two competitions. Which both is pay for. Now my daughter is in her last year of high school and working at fast food. She is not interested in modeling. She plans on college after graduation.

Well now we find out no refunds. Not even partial refund. Thousands of dollars wasted because they refuse to give refunds after 3 days. I didn't receive this information until I complained. If 2 years later and my child still haven't completed or made any money. I think they should offer me some kind of settlement knowing my child will never go to these competitions. They refuse to let me pass to my niece. Saying it is not fair but my child doesn't want to go to any competition. I am frustrated trying to get these people to understand my child doesn't want to model anymore. Any advice or help please.

Original review: June 24, 2021

We've had really good experiences. My daughter did the classes that we had to go to in Tallahassee and all her teachers are good. Also, her confidence has gotten a bit better. She used to get shy when she first starts talking to people.

Original review: June 8, 2021

The people were very helpful during the enrollment. They were checking all the time making sure that I understood everything. Amanda loves everything about what she had learned. She didn't know about a lot of the stuff that she should learn in there like walking and makeup. It's really made impact with her.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I did have a little bit of hiccups in the early stages. For instance, I was getting charged fees and I didn't understand the fees, initially. I had my identity stolen so I had to get a new ID, bank information and so on. I didn't realize that I forgot to change it with Barbizon. In my mind, everything's been paid up. When I tried to pay it, there was a hiccup to where I got charged a fee because I didn't pay it on time. A few months after that, I got charged another fee because I didn't pay it in time but at the time, I wasn't working.

The girls over the phone are in Florida and because of the time difference, we were kinda playing phone tag. When I finally spoke to somebody, she was nice. It was just that they couldn't remove some of the fees that they should have removed due to the situation at the time. Another thing was when my daughter had one of the auditions inside a DoubleTree, the lady that helped there told us since we didn't pay, my daughter couldn't do it that day but what we could do was to fill out a paper. She said it loud to where people around me could hear. She wasn't really discreet with it. My daughter ended up going into class because I ended up going outside, getting the card and doing a whole bunch of other stuff.

The other big was the last payment that I made to pay it in full, the lady I ended up talking to when I was explaining to her kind of what was going on financially said, "We have a fund that we can help pay for the remaining balance. You just have to pay 165.” I was sitting there thinking to myself this whole time, trying to figure out how to make the payments because if I didn't pay, my daughter was going to be dropped. It was weird to me how finally for the last payment, I was offered that, when in actuality, I was dealing with something a little bit more serious like covid and losing my job. I still came up with 200 and some dollars to pay to make sure I paid for that month. That took food off my table. If there was a fund out there, it should have been offered to me in the beginning, not the last payment.

My daughter graduated about a month ago but I haven't received the diploma or the certification that she's supposed to get. I only received one phone call in regards to a placement or an audition and that was it. There hasn't been any type of communication between Barbizon and I since my daughter's last class or since the last offers for an audition. I wouldn't recommend Barbizon at all. I'm not necessarily very dissatisfied but there were things throughout the time frame that I felt that should have been addressed a little bit more in detail.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

We are sorry to hear there were hiccups in the early stages of your payment plan. In reaching out to the local school, it looks like they were not informed that you were having an issue with your credit card until late September 2020. They were able to provide instructions on how to change your credit card in the system. When the next scheduled payment ran in late October, their customer service team noticed the same card you were having an issue with had been charged. In an effort of customer service, they called to let you know and provided you with information on how to fix the issue as well as waive that fee.

While an account does need to be in current standing for a student to continue in the program and attend the class, our team is required to be professional, discreet and caring to ensure all of our families are able to receive the best customer service. If you believe this did not happen during one of your interactions, we apologize for the experience and would like to assure you that this is not in line with our company values. We would appreciate it if you would email additional information about the date you attended (or the program class number) so that we can investigate further with the local school and ensure every member of our team provides the same level of customer service.

Regarding the partial scholarship available for your family, in effort of customer service and in light of the challenges your family had, the local Barbizon waived a portion of the program cost to ensure your daughter was able to complete the program and have the experience she worked so hard for as well as access to the free graduate support services.

Regarding the graduate support services, it looks like no one has called yet to request a placement package following your daughter’s graduation from the program in mid-April. We will reach out to the local Barbizon and ask that they send you one, however students are told that if they are interested in pursuing modeling and acting opportunities beyond the training program, they need to call and request their placement packet once they have received their certificate of completion. This packet is available to your daughter at no cost and will provide you with a list of reputable agents and managers in your area that your daughter should send submissions to in order to gain representation in the industry. This placement packet will also include instructions for how to enroll in free notifications of modeling and acting opportunities in your area which your daughter is a good fit for. You will need to fill out the placement model card and mail it back to the placement office along with one or two marketable, current photos in order to complete your enrollment. Additionally, as a graduate your daughter is able to return and retake all or part of the training program at any time.

Original review: May 20, 2021

My child took six classes at Barbizon and she was in there with a bunch of kids way younger than her. So, that had a little bit of effect on what I thought about it. But it boosted her confidence. It was a bit pricey for what she brought out of it but other than that, it was good.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Information