4.3/5 (40 ratings)

About Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling offers modeling, acting and personal development coaching and classes for teens and preteens. The company also leverages its industry connections to help graduates with representation and placement. Barbizon works to build positive self-confidence in students in all of its programs.

Pros

• Designed to build self-confidence
  • 75 years of industry experience
  • More than 200 locations
  • Network of industry pros

Cons

• Does not accept all applicants
  • Does not guarantee jobs

Bottom Line

Barbizon Modeling offers personal development, modeling and acting courses that focus on self-confidence and life skills. Barbizon has 75 years of experience and an established network of industry connections.

Top Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Verified

My daughter saw them in the mall and filled out a form, and then they reached out to us. They were very pleasant and helpful, and very supportive. Since doing the program, my daug...

Verified

Barbizon was very well-rounded and very appealing to us. They were looking for a wide range of kids. It wasn't like they were just there to pick out certain kids and move on. They...

What is Barbizon Modeling?

Barbizon’s personal development classes help young people develop basic personal skills and self-confidence. Enrollees learn career-building basics such as resume development and interview skills. Voice and dictation, poise and posture, nutrition and exercise and etiquette skills are also part of the curriculum.

Barbizon’s mission is to help young people gain confidence and develop life skills that can be used in any career, not just acting or modeling. Barbizon also teaches its students the art of self-promotion.

Its modeling development curriculum includes:

• Runway techniques
  • Grooming skills
  • Model etiquette
  • Self-confidence training

Barbizon acting courses

Barbizon acting development alumni have appeared on Nickelodeon, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, Disney, HBO, movies, commercials, local theatres and other productions.

Its acting development curriculum includes:

• Audition practice
  • Commercial acting
  • Art of self-promotion
  • Improvisation
  • Self-confidence development

How does Barbizon Modeling work?

Barbizon Modeling has more than 200 locations in the U.S. Parents of teens and preteens interested in Barbizon programs can make an appointment with a talent director in their area. Fill out the form on the website to have a Barbizon representative contact you.

When you meet one-on-one with the talent director, you discuss your child’s goals and find out if Barbizon is the right place to help you and your teen get started. After that, the company conducts a personal interview and evaluation to determine if the applicant has the qualities and dedication Barbizon is looking for.

Once your teen or preteen is accepted to a program, they can attend classes. Instructors include industry professionals with extensive experience in acting and modeling.

Barbizon also holds auditions and talent searches frequently at local Barbizon centers. Contact your local Barbizon to find out how to attend an event. You can also enter contests sponsored by Barbizon, which include prizes such as shopping sprees, photoshoots and college scholarships. Check the Barbizon website for contest details.

Barbizon Modeling cost

Barbizon's tuition cost varies based on the location where you attend and the classes you take. Some Barbizon centers offer scholarships or payment plans. To find out more about Barbizon prices, contact a local talent director to set up an interview.

Barbizon Modeling FAQ

Is Barbizon a scam?
No. Barbizon is a modeling, acting and personal development company that has been in business for more than 80 years, offering training and placement services.
Does Barbizon get you jobs?
Many Barbizon graduates have gone on to acting or modeling careers. The company has industry connections and can help you make your own connections by assisting you with agency or placement services. Taking courses with Barbizon does not guarantee jobs in modeling or acting.
Do you have to pay for Barbizon Modeling?
Barbizon Modeling has tuition costs that you must pay to enroll and take classes.
Does Barbizon accept everyone?
Barbizon does not accept everyone. Applicants must go through a personal interview to determine if they will be accepted to the program.
Does Barbizon Modeling pay you?
Barbizon Modeling does not pay its students.
Where is Barbizon?
Barbizon has more than 200 locations in the U.S.

Is Barbizon worth it?

Barbizon Modeling has 75 years of experience in the talent industry. The company focuses on building self-confidence for young people while teaching them modeling and acting industry basics and knowledge. Enrollment in a Barbizon program can help students build a foundation for a career in acting or modeling, but the company does not guarantee jobs or representation with a talent agency.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I thought that modeling would be a fun thing to do. I looked it up and found Barbizon then I took all the little quizzes that they had just to get information. I put in my information because it was required to do it then they sent me a text one day and they were trying to promote Barbizon classes. I replied to the text and then they responded and asked if I could come in one day and we set up an appointment. Going through the program, I liked it a lot and I learned how to present myself better, talk to people, and do better in the street. The people there were nice too. They've definitely improved and done really well as teachers. Overall, it's definitely worth it and to just become confident in yourself. I've noticed that a lot of people would go over what they needed to have done for the next class and my advice is to do that because being prepared is also really important.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

My daughter enjoyed working with Barbizon and I liked how they boosted up her confidence. When she started, her confidence level was about a 5, and now she's about a 20. She made tons of friends there and stuff that she's still connected with, and how they still want to help even after she's graduated from the class. She has an agent now. She went and did a few modeling for pictures to be put on her website, but no jobs yet. We're still in the process of trying to get everything set up for that.

When we went to one place for her pictures, she shot with a guy that used to work with the Rolling Stones. She was telling him some of the things, but he was telling her to pose. She said that in school, they were not supposed to pose. But then he said that with fashion, she had to do it. Barbizon might be a little behind in the posing, like how the guy was having my daughter do motion moves for pictures and bringing her hands up to her face, because of hand models sometimes, you still put your face into it as well. She was nervous because the people were always telling her, "You don't do this. You don't do that." Then the guy was telling her, "You just keep moving while you're doing your pictures. The movement is where it's at." She was struggling. Barbizon could improve on helping the girls get more in tune with the different types of modeling. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Barbizon made sense as they offered our daughter something that she wanted in terms of training to be able to move forward in the modeling world. Enrolling our daughter into the program would have been easier had it not been for the Coronavirus. That made our process of getting into the program a little lengthy from the moment we first reached out. I also had a few issues but customer service was great.

Families pay all this money to have their children go to this level of training. It would be nice if the children could at least have a portfolio once the program is over. We have nothing. It would be nice if they can have that where the children could at least start to sell themselves to agencies. It will be nice if they left with a list of local agents that the families could potentially reach out to or have some appointments to sit down in front of or at least have a mock or a legitimate gig in the real world. That would be most beneficial for families.

In the end, the only person who really gained anything are our children but at the same time, we don't know what they learned per se because there's no real tangible product. Once the program is over, my daughter goes to school. When she's in school, is she a model? No. There hasn't been a climbing step for her to get into the modeling world. She's still at square one even though she may know how to walk. Families are wanting their children to break out in that world. Overall, Barbizon is beneficial but you're still going to have to do the dirty work. For what it was, it was good and we would make the same decision again. I just wish there was something else. Once that part is over, what's next?

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Latasha, We are so happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your experience with the program. Regarding a portfolio, a professional modeling portfolio is collection of work done not just a collection of pictures taken. Should your daughter choose to pursue modeling opportunities, she will be able to build her book over time showcasing many different looks and styles for projects she has worked on and that will help her market herself in the industry. There is an opportunity available to your daughter that students are told about during the last day of their program called Placement. Once your daughter had received her certificate of completion, she is eligible to request her placement enrollment information. This is a free service which will provide her with a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that she should send submissions to in order to try and gain representation. Additionally, she will receive a model card to fill out and send back. Once this is complete, she will begin receiving notifications of upcoming modeling and acting opportunities in your area that she is a good fit for. She will need to call the Barbizon she attended to request her placement enrollment information if she decides she is ready to pursue industry opportunities. As students take our program for many different reasons, Placement is a service that requires the initiative of enrollment to begin branching into the professional aspects of the industry and we are here to help during that process.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The sign-up for the class with Barbizon was easy. But towards the ending of the class, they give more feedback to the child as they're going through the classes. I really didn't have any communication and it would have been a little bit better just to know how my daughter did. It would have been nice if one of the instructors either sent a quick email saying, "This is what I thought about her. This is what she can do." This is because the child is not always gonna come back to the parents and tell them things, especially if they are teenagers.

Also, Passport to Discovery was right after she ended her class. That was great. I enjoyed that and my daughter did as well. As a child, she needs to put a little bit more effort into it because there's only so much that an ambassador can do. We had Mercedes and she was really great in getting some feedback. My daughter is not her only client. But whenever I emailed her, she always responded to everything. The drawback for me and what I didn't do well, is making sure that my daughter stays in constant communication with them. This is her first year. At Passport to Discovery, the better you become at it, the better chances you have at winning those scholarships. It's unfortunate that the classes only last for six months and it was once a month. It was eight hours a day but did they really cover everything that could help her?

Another thing is we're still waiting on the placement card, which they told us would be out. That is a little disappointing. My daughter really can't do anything without those cards. Other than that, we will be signing up for Passport to Discovery again next year. You actually have to go through a virtual call again and be selected. My daughter did get called for a virtual audition but she keeps getting calls while she's at work. When she gets off, Barbizon is already closed, so we don't have the information.

Overall Barbizon is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You can do it for however long that you want and you can constantly still sign up for it. We would tell others to do it because they would be able to meet so many people. It's networking and you constantly receive help, which is good to help perfect what you need to work on. Barbizon gave my daughter an opportunity to come out of her shell a little bit, which is one of the goals of Barbizon. They get people that are interested in acting and modeling because they have to be a little outgoing in order to do that. You have to be able to get out there in order to talk to people and experience the best experience that you can.

As a consumer, I like the payment plan. But I hope it can be extended out. Everyone likes a little bit more time to make the payment. Being that it was in Orlando, the hotel in itself was expensive so I can understand the pricing of it. But by stretching the payment, somebody would be more inclined to do it. Overall, my daughter liked Barbizon and really enjoyed it. She would continue with it. The modeling is good.

Original review: March 27, 2021

The first time I heard of Barbizon was in Puerto Rico because back in the '80s, it was a very renowned agency there and I am from there. And then I received a call and we went through the audition through Zoom. That was how Angela started attending the six-month classes last year. The only thing that I was a little upset about was that Angela missed a class last year. It was a December one. I was sick. I had the virus so I didn't send her. I sent an email and left a message saying the reason why. And then for the next class, I forgot to go to the email and answer the questions and reserve, and I didn't know that I had to actually reserve her space.

I only saw that the email emphasized the fact that to make sure that the child has not been exposed or has the virus. But Barbizon was able to accommodate her because six kids did not show up. But I was upset, and they know. The guys here know that I was not happy with that because if I am paying them in advance, they already have my money, why are they telling me that there might not be a space for my daughter for the next class?

Also, they should let the parents know ahead of time, not at the end of the audition, "If you are doing this and your daughter is going to participate in this, if she is selected, then in order to be selected to the Passport to Discovery or this other event in Atlanta, there is a cost involved." Because that is what happened with the Passport to Discovery in August. I didn't know. In the back of my mind, “I'm assuming there's got to be a cost in that.” And then obviously at the end, yes, there's a cost and the payments. I tried but then I realized it's such a short period of time for me to disburse of all of that money, so I couldn't do it.

Then we went to another audition and it was for Atlanta. And I said, “Okay. Well, it's a little bit further away. I have a little bit more time.” I had four months to make the payments. I was already committed. I said, “Well, Angela, I'm gonna do my best to make it happen.” This time was a bit less money, but still, it would be nice to let us know ahead of time. “This is an audition. But if she's selected and you'd like to do it, this involves a cost.” Because I don't want a child to be all excited and be selected. And then a parent would say, “Oh, sorry. You can’t do it because we cannot afford that.” Also, I told my sister about Barbizon for my niece, but her point of view was that it was a lot of money for a short amount of time. And they wanted the courses to be every Saturday for a year.

Everything else was great. I am very happy with the interactions with the teacher and I wish that it was a time when we didn't have the COVID so there will be more things and a bit more interaction than what they have been able to do. But even with that, Angela has learned a lot, which I'm very happy. We couldn't attend the one in August because of budget and also the situation, but we are going to Atlanta in December. Angela seems excited. She has made a lot of improvement. And we continue to practice at home.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Having the payment plan with Barbizon was really helpful. My daughter loved teachers there. When they did some picture taking in class, they sent it to her and it was nice to see those. The only thing was the time was short. Other than that, my daughter can socialize now. Before, she only limits her socialization with her friends. When we go to a party now, she's not shy anymore and she can socialize with almost everyone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

My daughter participated in Greensboro and she finished and got her certificate. As a matter of fact, she's going to Atlants in about two more weeks with Barbizon to do a runway. It's a good experience for children, especially young girls if they want to get into modeling.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

My child loves every second of Barbizon. He's kind of withdrawn and self-conscious of his appearance. He has special needs. Through Barbizon, he said he has made a lot of friends. Also, everyone there was very nice and understanding. You could tell they cared about the people in there. It was just a great experience for my child.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Barbizon connected with me with regard to my 16-year-old son, Gabriel. A couple of times, I had to wait for customer service and they answered no matter what. But they really didn't communicate a whole lot with the parents. It was the minimum and it would be a little overwhelming. There would be so much information all at once. I tried calling a few times and they had random different numbers. I tried calling the coordinator and I would get somebody else when they told us from the very beginning at the orientation that this person is the person to be in contact with.

I also still wish that my son would have an actual agent. That was my impression from the very beginning. I hoped to have someone who would be mentoring Gabriel, even if it was over the phone, via Zoom, or whatever the case may be after graduation. But he was left to fend for himself. A lady called about two weeks ago stating that there was an opportunity for him to audition for modeling. I told her when to call us as I would have to be with him because he's underage. But no one has really bothered to call back. Gabriel really wants to continue this and he wants this to be part of his career. But there's really no opportunity. Even though they had one class every month for the last seven months or so, everything was sprung onto them all in one day once a month.

I was able to connect with one of the coordinators at one point in early September and I asked them what the next step was. The lady said Gabriel would have to do a resume and make sure he puts Barbizon down. That was something that they should have done with him while he was there. They should also give a list of places or agents. But there was none of that. Barbizon needs more work. But overall, I would still recommend them no matter what. We had a good experience and I am happy.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Jessie – Thank you for your review and we’re so happy to hear that Gabriel enjoyed the program! It seems like there may have been a miscommunication at some point regarding the graduate support services. If you have received the certificate of completion, your son is eligible for free placement services through your location. This includes a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that you should consider sending submissions to in order to try and gain representation. The Placement Director at your location would be able to assist with any questions you might come across regarding the process. Additionally, if you send back the model card that is part of the placement enrollment, he will be registered to receive notifications of upcoming modeling and acting opportunities in your area that he may be a good fit for. This service is available to graduates and during the last day of class, students are told they need to call and request access should they decide to pursue industry opportunities. As these jobs in a professional industry, aspiring models and actors best succeed when they are able to take the initiative to pursue these opportunities and we are here to help guide this process. We will have someone reach out to you that can answer any questions you may have regarding the placement program as well as what is needed in order to enroll.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Well I thought for the money this would be a great experience for my daughter, mind you this is a $3000 dollar classes! Well the classes that were offered turned out to be really great for her. Fast forward to completion. She completed July 23 2021 and it is now October 9, 2021 we have yet to receive her placement card or certificate! Reached out via email and numerous calls which clarified correct address still no placement card or certificate! Now still no response to calls!

Now this card is something “they” says helps them with auditions and other things. Well you would think they would make sure you received it and for the cost of it they should have their education department little more prompt about this and as fast as they swipe your money out of the account! Receiving that placement card and certificate should be just as fast once completed! Now great experience but overpriced and especially for them not to even do what they say after completion! Oh and if you are expecting any type of interaction after completion, nope think again! Once classes are over they're on their own! With a certificate or placement card which we have yet to receive!

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Nicole, Typically certificates are sent in the mail following graduation and should arrive within a few weeks. During their last class, students are encouraged to reach out to request their placement card to enroll in the free placement services as soon as they receive their certificate. Students come to Barbizon for many different reasons and not everyone is interested in pursuing the local placement opportunities. For those that are, the act of enrolling is a great first step to treating the modeling and acting opportunities from industry professionals in a professional, responsible manner. We asked the Placement Director from your location to reach out to see how they can assist to make sure your daughter is able to take advantage of all of the services available to her as quickly as possible. Please feel free to connect with local Barbizon for information or questions about their placement services and your daughter's status. If you have any issues connecting with your local Barbizon, our corporate office is always happy to assist and can be reached at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Information