4.0/5 (731 ratings)

About Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling offers modeling, acting and personal development coaching and classes for teens and preteens. The company also leverages its industry connections to help graduates with representation and placement. Barbizon works to build positive self-confidence in students in all of its programs.

Pros

• Designed to build self-confidence
  • 75 years of industry experience
  • More than 200 locations
  • Network of industry pros

Cons

• Does not accept all applicants
  • Does not guarantee jobs

Bottom Line

Barbizon Modeling offers personal development, modeling and acting courses that focus on self-confidence and life skills. Barbizon has 75 years of experience and an established network of industry connections.

Top Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Verified

My daughter saw them in the mall and filled out a form, and then they reached out to us. They were very pleasant and helpful, and very supportive. Since doing the program, my daug...

Verified

Barbizon was very well-rounded and very appealing to us. They were looking for a wide range of kids. It wasn't like they were just there to pick out certain kids and move on. They...

What is Barbizon Modeling?

Barbizon’s personal development classes help young people develop basic personal skills and self-confidence. Enrollees learn career-building basics such as resume development and interview skills. Voice and dictation, poise and posture, nutrition and exercise and etiquette skills are also part of the curriculum.

Barbizon’s mission is to help young people gain confidence and develop life skills that can be used in any career, not just acting or modeling. Barbizon also teaches its students the art of self-promotion.

Its modeling development curriculum includes:

• Runway techniques
  • Grooming skills
  • Model etiquette
  • Self-confidence training

Barbizon acting courses

Barbizon acting development alumni have appeared on Nickelodeon, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, Disney, HBO, movies, commercials, local theatres and other productions.

Its acting development curriculum includes:

• Audition practice
  • Commercial acting
  • Art of self-promotion
  • Improvisation
  • Self-confidence development

How does Barbizon Modeling work?

Barbizon Modeling has more than 200 locations in the U.S. Parents of teens and preteens interested in Barbizon programs can make an appointment with a talent director in their area. Fill out the form on the website to have a Barbizon representative contact you.

When you meet one-on-one with the talent director, you discuss your child’s goals and find out if Barbizon is the right place to help you and your teen get started. After that, the company conducts a personal interview and evaluation to determine if the applicant has the qualities and dedication Barbizon is looking for.

Once your teen or preteen is accepted to a program, they can attend classes. Instructors include industry professionals with extensive experience in acting and modeling.

Barbizon also holds auditions and talent searches frequently at local Barbizon centers. Contact your local Barbizon to find out how to attend an event. You can also enter contests sponsored by Barbizon, which include prizes such as shopping sprees, photoshoots and college scholarships. Check the Barbizon website for contest details.

Barbizon Modeling cost

Barbizon's tuition cost varies based on the location where you attend and the classes you take. Some Barbizon centers offer scholarships or payment plans. To find out more about Barbizon prices, contact a local talent director to set up an interview.

Barbizon Modeling FAQ

Is Barbizon a scam?
No. Barbizon is a modeling, acting and personal development company that has been in business for more than 80 years, offering training and placement services.
Does Barbizon get you jobs?
Many Barbizon graduates have gone on to acting or modeling careers. The company has industry connections and can help you make your own connections by assisting you with agency or placement services. Taking courses with Barbizon does not guarantee jobs in modeling or acting.
Do you have to pay for Barbizon Modeling?
Barbizon Modeling has tuition costs that you must pay to enroll and take classes.
Does Barbizon accept everyone?
Barbizon does not accept everyone. Applicants must go through a personal interview to determine if they will be accepted to the program.
Does Barbizon Modeling pay you?
Barbizon Modeling does not pay its students.
Where is Barbizon?
Barbizon has more than 200 locations in the U.S.

Is Barbizon worth it?

Barbizon Modeling has 75 years of experience in the talent industry. The company focuses on building self-confidence for young people while teaching them modeling and acting industry basics and knowledge. Enrollment in a Barbizon program can help students build a foundation for a career in acting or modeling, but the company does not guarantee jobs or representation with a talent agency.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I signed up and I was, “This is not for real. It’s not gonna be what I think it is.” After that, my life changed. A couple of weeks later, I got a call. They talked to us, “Oh, you have an audition with us.” And they wanted to get to know me. I panicked because I thought it wasn’t for real, and I was worried. But at the same time, I got excited. So, I talked to my mom. She was iffy about it because she said no at first, before the auditions. But I convinced her. I said, “How are we gonna know what happens if I don’t try? I got the opportunity for it, so I might as well try it.” So, I did. After I tried it, I almost quit. But if I didn’t do Barbizon, a lot of things in my life wouldn’t have happened. I was happy.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Barbizon was the best decision this family could’ve made. We enrolled my daughter last fall and she went to her classes faithfully each month. It was such a memorable experience for her. She had so much fun while learning and also gaining the experience that she need. I was so excited to hear about her class after each meet. Her self confidence and self esteem skyrocketed, she learned how to apply makeup, model, walk the runway, perform, write and execute her commercial. She learn so many great things in class.

After class end this year she would go on to audition to participate in Barbizon 13 annual competition and there she would be selected to receive her first honorable mention doing her first competition. This is an all around company. Everyone we have met or spoken to have been so nice, polite, friendly, helpful and very supportive. If we had the chance to do this all over we will still pick Barbizon. Keep up the amazing work!

Original review: June 9, 2022

Barbizon helped my daughter with confidence building. They learned how to walk the runway. The teachers were super upbeat. There were lots of positive energy and constructive criticism. They learned facial care, hygiene and makeup. The only negative thing I have about it is that they want you to keep spending money. She always gets accepted to everything and it's always going to cost thousands of dollars. She was chosen to go to the Orlando event they had, but that was gonna be $3,500. We declined moving forward. The class itself was only six one-hour classes and it was $2,000. We were under the impression that there would be more connections but there weren't. I think they just choose everybody and it's the money for them. I don't think that they're overly selective. If my daughter was someone that people would be interested in, she would have a sponsor. But no, it's totally the opposite.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I was a student at Barbizon when I was younger. I talked to my granddaughter about going to modeling class and I told her about my experience. She was interested so I signed her up for Barbizon and she was accepted into the program. She really liked the program. Every time I picked her up, all of her instructors said how proud they were of her and how much progress she was making during every class. My granddaughter got confidence in herself. We didn't get the overall score until after she was done with the program. But we didn't let her know that they scored her there on all levels of her training because I didn't feel that that was right and we don't do anything to bring down her confidence or make her not feel that she accomplished her goals. Her goal is to model as well as go into the military.

I would recommend Barbizon with a suggestion to discuss with the child where their weaknesses are and where their positives are so that they can improve on them. My grandaughter never said that anyone has told her anything like that. I never got a bad record about her. Barbizon seemed so busy. They had a lot of children coming in and out and they didn't want a lot of contact because of COVID. I only wish they have more instructors and keep the same number of children. Overall, they do a good job.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I thought that modeling would be a fun thing to do. I looked it up and found Barbizon then I took all the little quizzes that they had just to get information. I put in my information because it was required to do it then they sent me a text one day and they were trying to promote Barbizon classes. I replied to the text and then they responded and asked if I could come in one day and we set up an appointment. Going through the program, I liked it a lot and I learned how to present myself better, talk to people, and do better in the street. The people there were nice too. They've definitely improved and done really well as teachers. Overall, it's definitely worth it and to just become confident in yourself. I've noticed that a lot of people would go over what they needed to have done for the next class and my advice is to do that because being prepared is also really important.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

The Barbizon program was good and educational. It was pricey as far as the financial obligations to it but their staff was pretty good.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I had a really good experience with them. The staff is super nice. I'm still waiting for my certificate though.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My daughter loved Barbizon. Her confidence is really high. It's a great program. Watching my daughter grow and develop her passion has been a joy.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

The program was really fun and it was a very eye-opening experience. I loved meeting new people and getting my social skills up. The staff was always very supportive. I'm super happy I chose Barbizon.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

My daughter has completed her classes and she has a competition coming up in a couple of months, which will be her first one. She loved the Barbizon program. She learned a lot and now, she knows how to walk like a model, and she does it all the time. The staff were very nice and flexible. I will recommend Barbizon.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Information