Call toll free
4.05/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Barbizon was founded in 1939 and expanded from a single location on 5th Avenue in New York City to over 200 markets worldwide. Our program provides instruction in acting, modeling as well as personal development. At Barbizon, it is our goal to nurture the dreams of every client that enters our offices and help each them discover what makes them special. Let us help you develop your one-of-a-kind “star” quality and give you the tools to help you shine!

Barbizon Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

613 Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My daughter filled out something when she was at the North Star Mall in San Antonio. She was trying to pursue modeling or acting career. And Barbizon was more of a finishing school for her to teach her how to be a little more proper in regards to being a woman. It’s also an introduction to that business from a modeling perspective if that’s something she may wanna pursue. I’m always a little skeptical any time you sign up for these things because you never know what you’re getting into. I’ve read enough good reviews to where there weren’t too many people saying that the experience was bad. There were people saying that because they went to Barbizon, it should land them jobs, but that expectation wasn’t with me. And just like with everything, you take it with a grain of salt and try to determine whether or not this is something you wanna try to take on.

The people at Barbizon were great and very respectful. They were also very informative in the questions that we had to ask. My daughter had a lot of fun while she was there and it gave her a perspective on the whole modeling career field. Nowadays, when she takes pictures, she does a little of that photogenic type of stuff and she even teaches my wife how to get in and out of a car in a dress.

The whole industry is extremely expensive, because one thing leads to the next, and there’s always money associated with that. When my daughter had opportunities to go and audition at some events that Barbizon had, I got the feeling the events were just to get her in front of other people that were in the industry. Then that connection with other people in the industry would lead to cost me more money. So I was a little standoffish to it. But there have been some follow-up calls from them with some of the events that they had. And I’m glad that they still try to connect through sending emails or calling for her every time there’s an opportunity.

What I paid for the class was worth every penny. At least it taught my daughter some skills on how to be a woman, how to take care of herself, and how to present herself. If she was 100% all in to say that modeling is really what she wanna do then I’d jump all over it. If she's not sure, then I’d have a hard time investing any more money on it. But overall, I totally got everything that I wanted to get out of the program for my daughter and she got what she needed to get out of it in regards to trying to help her determine if modeling was something she would want to pursue.

Get expert buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My son always had a knack for acting. When he got on stage for performances at school, he grabbed the microphone and became the emcee of the program just naturally, even in kindergarten and first grade. Where all the other kids were crying and shy, my kid was up there. When he was small, we wanted to develop those talents, but he said no. We pushed him to take dance classes, acting classes and singing classes but he refused everything.

We went to Barbizon’s presentation and we were excited. We thought and talked about it, and we got accepted into it. It was nice that there was a process and it was a good one. There was a whole build-up and it was good for children to not get immediate gratification. They had to wait, think and get excited. After he took Barbizon, he said he needed dance and singing lessons. He also wanted to take some acting classes. I told him it sounded good and that we would arrange it. We love Barbizon and the team that they have, the follow-ups, the phone calls, the reminder, and the encouragement. It’s an amazing company. They have the top management and the top reputation. It could not be a better run company.

The staff is amazing and they are what makes it. The people they are putting up to the face of the customer is where it is all at. When you call, somebody will always get right with you. In some places, you call and it’s like, “This woman is overworked. She has 900 emails before me. She’ll get back with me in three weeks,” but never did I see all that at Barbizon. They have enough staff to handle the needs of their clients, and that was important to me.

My experience has been amazing with Barbizon and every child should go for it. Barbizon is raining down love on the kids and inspiring them to wanna do their best to take care of their health, to make dietary changes and to exercise. Barbizon has developed my child's modeling skills. He knew nothing before, but now, he has learned the right thing for a man. He has also become more confident. He had positive words and energy spoken over him in his life through Barbizon and he believed it. He’s taking it and using it to his full ability. We’re going to the competition and we plan to represent Barbizon forever. We hope that my child will be a good spokesperson/spokesmodel for Barbizon in the future. We’re very thankful to Barbizon for being there and developing my child into the amazing actor/model that he is becoming.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My younger daughter was 11 and she wanted to be a model, but her problem is that she has the cute little face of an 11-year-old and the height of a 15-year-old. I knew Barbizon's reputation because my sister didn't just model with them, but she also was an instructor for a few years. I saw them in the SouthPark Mall and I thought my daughter would be interested in something like this because I know that they are more of a wholesome reputation and it's not super bloodthirsty or questionable.

I filled out a card and I got a call. As part of the call, I texted a picture of my two daughters at the beach and the woman I talked to asked if my other daughter wanted to model. My older daughter said yes when I asked her so, we went to the audition with both of my daughters and they picked my older daughter, Grace. They said they can't put my younger daughter in child and they can't put her in grown-ups because she was right in the middle of there. So, we went ahead and we went through the training with Grace.

Everyone that I've talked to on the phone has been very polite, courteous, and kind of role modeling what they are expecting out of their models. A lot of them seemed like they are young, like Barbizon is kind of a starter but on to bigger and better things. But I kinda liked that about it because we were not into any serious cutthroat modeling stuff. We were just doing it because we thought it would be fun and she could make some money. About that time, my daughter was 14 years old and she was going through the awkward phase with acne and braces and middle school, but already, she was super confident and had a lot of friends. I was comfortable with her going through a program like Barbizon.

She was learning about modeling, and I had been looking for something to get her feet wet in it simply because I didn't want her going out and doing it on her own. Barbizon is a great way to get your feet wet and learn about modeling. It’s not a guarantee to a modeling career but it's a great way to learn poise and how to carry yourself and how to be confident. If you wanted to start into modeling, it is a good first step to learn how to do all that stuff and then, they kind of set you up nicely to meet other people if they think that you could be successful in modeling.

We finished the classes this summer. She graduated, she went to an open audition, and they picked her to go to their southeast competition. That's where she could meet some actual agencies. So, we're looking forward to doing that next month. It's expensive but if she was gonna jump off and try something like this, we wanted it to be done the right way. So, that's why we went ahead and spent the money. She's done some Barbizon promotable stuff at the mall and earned a little bit of money that way. The experience with Barbizon has been great.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I've known about Barbizon for 40 years. I know that they have been in business for a number of years and I felt that they have a good track record. We got involved with them when my daughter Elena signed up for more information at their booth at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield, Illinois. She took their base level modeling class and there were six different classes that were part of the class roster. So far, she has signed on with a modeling group out of Chicago and she is currently working with them on getting a portfolio put together. She's also working for Barbizon currently this summer. They also reached out to us to see if Elena would be interested in working with them or for them as an instructor.

I found my experience with Barbizon to be positive. Anytime that I've called with any questions or concerns they’ve always been able to answer my questions quickly and in a positive manner. I also very much appreciated them organizing the first open call that they did this past summer. I felt my daughter really gained a lot from that experience and she really enjoyed going to eight open calls. It was really cool. She did some online stuff like sent in photos and things like that but never really did much in the way of actually showing up in person to the open calls. So for Barbizon to organize that was a big service to the people who were graduating from their coursework. They also had an actual Barbizon rep that met the models, arranged the interview for them and escorted them into the modeling agency. That was great as well.

Recently, Barbizon has also been a lot better about getting information to us concerning different job opportunities. But they should do even more at promoting the open calls. I also feel that the actual course that the girls took could better prepare the girls who wanted to go into modeling more. There was information that should have been shared with the models to prepare them for open calls and for actually signing on with the modeling agency because I know there were things my daughter didn't know how to do when she went to meet with the agency and sign on with them.

Also, it was the simple things. For instance, the agency that my daughter signed on to wanted her to bring all of her clothes to her first photoshoot in a garment bag on hangers. But instead she had them packed in a duffel bag. The guy there told her that he wanted all of the stuff hung up in a garment bag and asked why didn't she do that and why didn't she know about that. It was her first time ever going in! That would be very easily talked about within a class.

The other thing too was that this modeling agency wants her to put together outfits and certain clothing items to bring to the shoot and that’s the kind of stuff that Barbizon should be a little bit more aggressive in dealing with. A whole class should have been done on how to prep yourself before going to a shoot. I kept asking her “Well, didn’t you study this in your classes?” She told me they did not. That should have been addressed in the classes that she took. Despite this, I would still definitely recommend Barbizon.

Original review: July 24, 2018

A couple of friends have heard about Barbizon Modeling and we saw some advertisements that they were gonna be in the area doing a six-month training. My daughter is 12 and is very active in the church and does the drama team. She sings and she pretends to be a model. I wanted to really get her into Barbizon Modeling and I knew that it would be a great opportunity for her to meet a lot of other people without it being with mom, so it's a socialization portion of it that I really enjoy. I modeled years ago, although I didn’t model with Barbizon, but I heard of their reputation back then and it was a great reputation. I had also heard that Barbizon has been doing way more than just modeling and I had heard some good reviews from mothers who had had their children in Barbizon, so we went with them.

Signing up with Barbizon was very easy and I enjoyed the process. Brooke was very instrumental and we fell in love with her. She was amazing and some of the other ladies were very hands-on and they ensured that we understood everything. We received phone calls back from them on a regular basis to make sure there were no questions. I also received emails on a regular basis so that if I forgot something, I can go right back to the emails. It had all of the information and it continued to remind us to give them a call if we have any additional questions, and we could do that at any time.

My daughter had blossomed even further than when we were doing it on our own or with her being in church. Her confidence is already high, but Barbizon boosted it significantly because getting on the catwalk, being in front of other people, and actually performing in where you're knowing you're being judged really relaxed her to the point where she doesn’t mind getting in front of people. The fear and the nervousness that come over all of us were really less stressful for her. Since then, she has done a lot of performing at church and singing. Also, she has really helped encourage other young ladies to get involved in something.

There was a major competition on the 8th of June that just happened in the Alexandria area and my daughter had an amazing time. They had some of our Barbizon representatives there that she remembered and knew, and the environment was wonderful. It was the two-day weekend big competition that we paid for and it was in preparation for the cruise that’s coming up. She enjoyed it.

Barbizon's program is extremely encouraging to the families. I have a church member whose son signed up with Barbizon and was in some commercials. The excellent part is this last competition, my daughter received five callbacks and this Sunday, she’s going to sit down with one of the agents who called her back. We're excited and we know that we can give a callback to Barbizon to make sure before we sign anything or before we do anything else, that we can get clear guidance. That’s the comfort that I have with Barbizon. They make sure that we understand that we don’t step out and do something that is not gonna be a wise decision. We are completely sold on the program and on the ladies that are involved in. We are really happy to be a part of the family. I would highly recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: June 10, 2019

My daughter found out about Barbizon through another friend at school and sent in her information, and she got contacted. So far, it's been okay. But there were some inconsistencies with their customer service process. There seems to be a communication issue internally, where some departments aren't talking to each other. For example, now that my daughter has graduated the institute, from time to time, they may call her back to do promotional work. We'll talk to one representative that initially contacts us and they're like, "Okay, we will feed your information to the back office, " but then the back office doesn't get the information, and there's just little inconsistencies with that.

They're a little bit inflexible with some of their payment programs, but for the most part, it is what it is. I would've prefer if they had a little bit more flexibility in terms of commitment time. So you make commitments to certain things, which is a financial commitment, and life happens and you're not able to go through, you lose that money. But their reps were very professional and very pleasant. They usually do their best to communicate better information in a reasonable manner. They're always very warm.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My daughter wanted to do personal development and so I paid her fee for the talent that she wants. Signing up was an easy process and the staff was good. I just wish that they would’ve had some presentation at the end of the class to show the parents what they learned there. I know they did a video but I've never seen a video on it. But my daughter learned a lot. The modeling program affected her self-esteem issues. She feels confident in herself and be more outgoing. She won the college scholarship from Barbizon and it covers her tuition. Overall, I recommended Barbizon to somebody else.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We had a personal family friend who had worked with Barbizon and had a great experience so we went to that direction. My daughter is a competition dancer and that's how she was noticed by Barbizon. I didn’t have to really do anything. Her agent took care of everything for me. My daughter a regional IMTA talent winner. So, whatever her agent recommend for her is the path that we take.

My daughter has always been a performer, but some more experience you have on stage, the better you're gonna become. So if you're looking for a place for your child to grow at their own pace and also be challenged by different opportunities, you should take a chance on it. I recommend Barbizon. Anything you do, there are challenges for the performer, but my daughter has done well and she's taking it on stride. She's improving and winning.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

This place has not refunded me my $600 that was promised to be sent in 10 days after signing a cancellation contract on 4/28/2019. I wish I would’ve have felt sorry for the lady who begged me to take my little girl to central studios. Don’t put yourself or your children through a horrible disgusting experience with these unprofessional people unless you’re really desperate and don’t care how anyone treats you. If you don’t value yourself or your children go ahead and deal with Barbizon. The customer service is pitiful! When you need help just know that all of the demons in there are the same so you won’t be properly helped. My God fights all my battles and JESUS has won my Victory and the devil is defeated. Amen????

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

We are so sorry for the delay. We did speak with the Barbizon location you were working with and they have confirmed that the check was sent in the mail this week. It should be to you within 10 days. If you have not received it, please reach out to us and we will look into it again for you. Also, if you could please alert us when you do receive it so we can ensure this has been taken care of. Thank you.

Original review: May 25, 2019

My daughter loves to dance, sing and act, and she loves modeling too. We decided to put her in the modeling class with Barbizon so she can experience new things and development. She was so excited to do it and the experience was very nice for her. The process was six months and she said it was okay. She’s doing a good time. The class helps a lot with her. She’s having a good manners right now and she’s walking a little bit better than before. She’s also doing better at school. My daughter definitely loves it. Also, the Barbizon staff are great. Every time I called and needed some help, customer service was so good.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Barbizon was something different for my daughter to try. They have classes right here in my area and so we didn’t have to go far for her classes. Signing up was very easy, and they’re very helpful in giving great tips on what she needs to do. My daughter has enjoyed it and she likes the competitions that she has participated in. It helped her when she had to interview for a job, and it has helped her boost her confidence in doing that.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My daughter has been in Barbizon's program since May of last year. As of now, she is enrolled in the Dallas competition for Barbizon and the Passport to Discovery for Barbizon. She did the classes where they kinda taught her different things as far as walking, taking pictures, and makeup. Her confidence is a little better, but as far as booking a job, that part never happened. She was invited with the placement program, but my hands are kinda tied as far as spending money in other places because I’m trying to finish one thing first. Her confidence could be better but it is more on my daughter's end. She has to break out of her own shell.

When you first come into this program, it sounds like it is awesome and it is something you want your children to be in. But when you start to look at the financial part of it, it is a lot. It is a lot just trying to get ready for this Passport to Discovery stuff. For me, it is overwhelming and very expensive. I enjoy my daughter being in the class. But if I knew it would’ve been this much financially, I don’t think I would’ve got into it. Also, any time I dealt with Barbizon, it was always like we were a group of people, aside from phone conversations where we may be enrolled in something. It was never like a personal one-on-one experience.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The people at Barbizon are helpful and really very nice. The downfall was that we had signed our daughter up on a cruise but when there was a life event that hit us that no one was expecting, the money that was taken out of my account to go towards the cruise was non-refundable and I didn't understand that. When I talked to Liz, she said it was in the contract. But I didn't see that in the contract and when they were talking about it, what my husband and I heard was that it would be refundable. They said the money is gonna sit in a pool on my daughter's account until there are other classes that would come up that would have to be paid for and the money would come out of that. But that doesn’t make sense to me. They’ve got x amount of money on her account that’s just sitting there.

Liz said that there was something coming up in August that costs like $1,000. It’s the same thing as the cruise, not as big, but she thought it was better. But I have heard nothing about it. It’s upsetting and just for that, that makes me not want to have my daughter participate in Barbizon. When you’re faithful in the payments then a life event happens but your money is not returnable – that’s the only part that I didn’t like. I’m dealing with my father right now and that extra money could help me.

On top of that, after my daughter's class, all she’s going through and all she’s learned, we would think that she would have at least a one callback, not to keep forking out money for this and for that and not get anywhere. My daughter is beautiful and has an interest in modeling. She’s done the six months of class and they gave her some really good feedback but after the classes, she hasn’t gotten a call or any jobs. Then when you go to these modeling agencies, they say you really don’t have to pay money for your child to model or to have jobs because there is talent in them and that’s it. That is nothing like Barbizon. You don’t pay but you do a commercial and then based off that, they’ll work with you or with the kids. That’s the direction that I’m leaning towards just because of all that’s happening. I paid $1,900 for a six-month class but we've got nothing from Barbizon.

Original review: May 7, 2019

My daughter has been in the entertainment world since the age of 12. Her cuteness can only get her so far. I enrolled her in the Barbizon classes to refine her skills, boost her knowledge and confidence. The entertainment industry is tough and building a support network is key. Once she completed her certificate program we made the decision to send her on the annual PTD (Passport To Discovery) Cruise. The cruise gives attendees the opportunity to showcase in front of many industry agents. Barbizon is clear in their objective to "prepare" and provide "showcase opportunities". They don't over promise and they do deliver well organized agents aplenty talent showcases. What you do with the connections you make via callbacks, email lists, invitations to audition is up you. Barbizon scores high for the quality of agents and a great positive environment where ALL talent can shine.

Original review: May 2, 2019

My kids have always had an interest in acting and modeling, and it seemed something they could both do together and enjoy. My daughter was shopping at the mall and she stopped and spoke to the people from Barbizon. My son was a walk-on and got into the program as well. Signing up with Barbizon was really easy and no pressure. They answered all of our questions, were very informative, and were helpful. It's a very positive environment and makes me wanna go work for them. They were also very thorough and they've been able to help us every step of the way.

We also considered a school here in Kansas City and their program is more expensive. I have a friend of a friend of mine whose daughter did that program and it wasn't as involved or as in depth as with Barbizon. Also, that other school's program was a lot longer, so the program with Barbizon worked out with our kids' school schedules. Another thing I like about the program is that they taught my kids some professional skills that they could use right around their future and their future jobs. My kids' confidence is honed and more professionalism developed in them because of going through the program. It's also rare that they both are going to the Passport to Discovery, and they're both going to the Midwest competitions. So, we're excited for the both of them.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My daughter was researching how to get into acting and modeling, and I told her to go online and look for some options. Barbizon popped up and we made some inquiries, and then we got phone calls on it. Barbizon communicated well and the reps were good to work with. They made sure that everyone was on point and knew what was going on through phone calls and emails. Barbizon is a financial commitment that not all families can afford, and we are thankful that we have made some adjustments in our budget to give my daughter this opportunity.

My daughter enjoyed the actual classes and she said that it was stuff that was not taught in school so it made it fun. She tried to use it in some other things in life. She also liked the instructors because they had experience in the industry. They talk from personal experience, not just from what the book said. She's a pretty confident young lady but the things that she learned from Barbizon has helped build her some more confidence. She likes acting so she has gotten more into that and has gone to some interviews already. In fact, she is booked for Discovery PTD this fall.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Barbizon was advertising in the mall and I decided to look into it since it's something that my child likes doing. He went to the one in Colombia and the process was easy. However, they wanted the money right away. Every time you looked around, they needed money for this or that and I didn't know what they needed so much money for. Aside from that, they seemed to be knowledgeable, which is good. They also seemed to know what they were doing.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My daughter was really interested in doing modeling and when we went to one of Barbizon's information sessions downtown, they told us how they would have to decide whether or not you're selected to do their school. We heard from this woman that my daughter is selected but we decided not to do it at that time and that woman said they would always have a place for her. But when I tried to call back a year later, they said we had to come to another info session. So that was a little frustrating. It was a significant time investment for us and they didn’t make good on their word.

I looked into another option in our area but it had a large upfront cost. Now, I realize that it was about the same as Barbizon but at that time, it seemed like a lot to me. So due to lack of awareness of other options, we went with Barbizon. My daughter did six months of modeling school, where she went one day a month for six months. But when I asked a woman if a parent could pop in and observe one of their classes during the day for a short time if she wanted to, the woman said no and I don’t really like that policy. But was the program good? Was it helpful? Yes. Was it $2,000 worth? No. But that’s from the standpoint of someone who hasn’t gotten any jobs yet.

I'm unhappy with the fact that it seemed like we could have probably paid the same amount of money and had a portfolio, which seemed like it would really help my daughter get started. But we paid the money and we don’t have a portfolio, and I don’t really have any money left to do a portfolio because we spent it on the modeling school. Even though we registered for their placement thing, I think that my daughter would have to go online and check their listings really regularly to see if there's anything she could audition for as opposed to them just calling and saying, “Hey, there's an opportunity to audition in your city.”

I expected a little more full service – that they're gonna help her get auditions, that they're gonna contact us and that they're gonna make sure she has everything physically she needs in hand, such as a portfolio. But she doesn’t have that at the end of six months and $2,000. We didn’t know enough about the industry to know that a portfolio is what we needed and I feel that Barbizon is taking advantage of parents who don’t have a lot of time to do all the research. We're trusting Barbizon because they make a big deal at their info session about how many years old they are and what a good reputation they have. But they don’t really follow through actually making sure you have what you need.

Also, I feel like they put the onus too much on the student. They make it sound like once you go through this school, you're gonna be in the pipelines for this work. But really, we have to do all the footwork. To other parents, check out modeling agencies in your town because you may be able to pay the same amount of money or even less and actually have your child audition-ready. Right now, I'm not convinced that my child is audition-ready because she didn't have a portfolio. So, in that sense, I don’t feel it was really money well-spent.

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your feedback. We do not provide a portfolio because a portfolio is a collection of work that you obtain while working in the industry. We do see where you daughter has submitted her information to our placement department and it looks like already been placed, congrats to her. As you mentioned, this industry does require an incredible amount of work, just like most jobs. Success in this industry is very much up to the amount of work you want to put in and while we do send opportunities to our graduates who choose to enter the placement department, the work and the ability to get the job has to fall on the student. We provide the training and opportunities but the rest is really up to you. We'd be happy to schedule a conference call with our Director of Placement for you and you daughter to answer an questions to have about the placement process or about this industry. We are here to be a guiding resource for you and very much want your daughter to succeed.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My son was looking to get into modeling, so I did a Google search and came up with Barbizon. Barbizon's name was very familiar to me. I knew it was a well-established organization. Signing up was fine. The staff have always been very helpful. They’re a little bit slow technologically speaking, but otherwise, very good. Like to get in the placement, you had to fill out a card, and it takes six weeks to get your certificate. The communications are a little bit antiquated. But the whole process with Barbizon has been really nice. They’ve been very upfront about everything. It does cost money, and I get that. I’ve read some things online where people think it’s a money-grubber but it makes sense. You have to get educated, and that cost money. It’s a very nice program, so I’d recommend it. Another comment I would say is that the organization is always very professional.

My son has more confidence. It has definitely helped. He’s 11 now and he started when he was 10. And he wants to look good, to be dressed, and so forth. He’s excited about it. He wants to do some work. We haven’t gotten to do any paid jobs yet, but he’s going to the Passport to Discovery. And I’m trying to get him into some little auditions here and there. So, I’m hoping within the next years that he’ll be doing something.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Natasha was interested in how to get into the liberal arts, acting, modeling and working with film. We went with Barbizon based on the things they said they would provide and what they expected to do to help children. We liked how they're family oriented and responsible to parents. We've been with them two years now and thus far, she has learned the poses and she has matured. Barbizon is a class act.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Modeling and acting are things my daughter has always wanted to do. When Barbizon scouted her, I did some research and decided on them. She did the six-month program and it had given her a lot more confidence in her skills. The program included acting classes, photo movement classes, and runway classes. They also had an etiquette class. Barbizon was very involved in communicating with us to keep us prepared and informed. They called very often, checked up on her and made sure we knew what we needed for the next class. However, it took me five months to get the placement card I requested when we got her certificate. I had to call four times to get it and nobody could tell me what the hold up was. Finally, they just sent me an email and I was able to get it online. I’m not sure why I had to wait on a card if I could just get it online. Though the experience was expensive, my daughter enjoyed it and she learned a lot.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My son was always interested in becoming an actor. My wife and my son were searching online for schools and actor system programs and they got into Barbizon Modeling through that. When we went there, the people at Barbizon were acting nice and professional because they wanted everybody to do the business for them. When they call you over for them to show you the kind of program they got and for them to have you pay for, they will do it in a very nice hotel. They will set up something beautiful, then they will show you videos. They treat you really good and they tell you a lot of stuff about actors who are out there and that they became famous because they started in Barbizon. They were trying for us to go ahead and pay for whatever they offer.

After my son finished up the classes, he was fine with it, but in the end, it was hard for us to get the certificate that he completed the program. A couple of times, they said it was lost on the mail. Not only that, there was never a call for the auditions. It is also hard to get in touch with them for auditions. I think they lied. My wife received a text message saying that there was gonna be an audition for my son and that she had to call a number they sent out. She called the number, but there was never an answer. There was never a person alive to talk to. She was very mad.

There was also a time when Barbizon requested for some papers from my son. My wife sent over all the paperwork and all the pictures, but they misplaced it. They are not organized at all. My son was expecting something else. We paid over $3,000 for a year on a class and he knows how much money we paid. He is realizing that everything was not a lie, but he knows it is hard to get in touch with them, so he is trying to change his mind now. I am dissatisfied with our experience with Barbizon.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My son wanted to get into modeling and acting and we searched around. We ended up liking Barbizon when we went in for the initial interview. The way that they presented everything aligned what we wanted for my son. My husband took the lead on most of the signing up process and he said it was a simple process. It wasn’t complicated. My son has done training classes and went on a couple of auditions. They’re supposed to go on a trip in August. He has improved, and he’s really excited.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Our son and his friend were at the mall and they signed up his brother, Elijah, for the modeling classes with Barbizon. They called us and we went over to a learn-what-it’s-about seminar and Elijah decided to take the modeling classes. Although the people at Barbizon were friendly, the experience did not benefit Elijah at all. We paid a lot of money and we have had nothing from it. It did not build any self-esteem and it did not help him with memorization as for his schooling. They promised much more than they delivered.

We have been called and invited to attend a modeling event where they would recruit him or audition him. When we went to those, the first time, we didn’t know what to expect. They offered a trip to go to Florida and pay them about $7,000 more money to go on a cruise for which I’m paying of course. I paid them more money and then be auditioned in front of all these people who may or may not call him back. Then we went to the second audition which was the same thing as the first. I paid more money. This one was in Texas, where people are supposed to be able to look at my son and audition him if they choose him. It just seemed like I was throwing more money after more and more money.

The very first time that he decided to go, we were told that afterward, they would probably be contacted from the local mall and have them do the back-to-school fashion show like at a Macy’s or Penny’s, but we never heard a word and that was never mentioned again. We felt that they just wanted not just a little bit of money but a lot of money. We saw absolutely no return. Barbizon knows how to present their company and make everything look good with a lot of promises but there’s no follow-through.

Hi Susan,

We are sorry you have not received follow through on placement opportunities. While there is not guarantee in this industry or any industry, we would be happy to schedule a meeting for you with our Placement Director to see what opportunities we might have that would suit Elijah. We can also review his file to make sure your information is correct in the placement database to receive notifications of opportunities. We will have someone follow up with you personally within the week. Thank for alerting us so we can make things better moving forward.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My girls were constantly asking me about something that maybe they wanna do for a secondary thing while they were in college. So when the opportunity came up, I said we would give Barbizon a try. We paid over $3000 for them to attend their six months training. They went once a month there and dressed up professionally. It was eight or nine hours. But my girls decided not to continue Barbizon ‘cause it was not working for them. They said they were not being taught correctly. They felt like they were wasting their time and money when it came to the training. It was just a lot of talking, a lot of videos. But they needed more guidance, more hands-on when it came to teaching them and demonstrating more. They didn't learn as much, or specific ways of walking, or just poses. They still need that one-on-one tutoring ‘cause they’re still learning.

The people there were very nice. One time when I needed the makeup stuff, I called in to see if they sell it, and they did, and I bought it. I didn't get to interact a lot with them because we were told just to drop the children. And in the first orientation, it was a lot of people. Then, they picked who they needed. And then, once we paid them, my girls started going to class. We were given a schedule of certain things that apparently, my girls were supposed to work on, and things that they were supposed to bring when it came to the walking and everything. But a lot of the girls didn't even get to use what they took.

I found out that one of the people that I knew went through the same thing, and she said to me it was just a waste of money and that the child didn't learn anything. But I already was in it. And we tried to do that tour, or bus thing, and we paid the first fee. They were like forcing you saying they needed an answer. So, when they called us, I said yeah and we gave them the card number. But they didn't give us enough time to really think about it before I wanted to continue. And when we finally said no, they took that first payment and they didn't reimburse it.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My daughter is currently a model signed with BEST Agency, and I wanted to get her some good training. I chose Barbizon because of the reputation. Barbizon’s service is something I’ve known about for several years. And there was a thing on Facebook that they were coming into Vegas. Signing up my daughter with them was very easy. They have an audition thing, a seminar, and if you choose to do it, then you just sign up. You go in, everybody sits in a big room, they show a video, they talk to you, and then, they give you the opportunity to sign up or not. They’re very friendly and helpful and are always with a smile on their faces. My daughter has done all the classes they offer, which is the makeup class, the runway class, and my daughter is participating in their passport to Discovery Cruise. She’s had a lot more confidence. It’s a great experience with the kid. She loves it.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My son’s friend referred him to Barbizon. He was the one that wanted to do commercials. So, he needed personal development. Signing up for it was easy. They would call every time to follow up and let me know when the last class will be and if I have questions. My son took a six-month course every Saturday. He did modeling and acting. He liked it and it really helped him a lot with his confidence. He used to bite his nails and because they told him that he needed to have nice hands and nails, he overcame it.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My daughter always wanted to act. In fact, she was already at the school's drama club. Signing her up with Barbizon was great. She was very, very excited, and everything did go well. The process was easy and the ones that I got to meet in person, they were very sweet and friendly. Since she got into the Barbizon Modeling Program, I'm seeing a difference with self-care and then socially, because she is a very quiet girl. The Barbizon program also helped her confidence a lot.

My daughter is already a graduate and while I would recommend Barbizon, I did not like the fact that I was gonna spend some more money just for her to get something to do with them like I was gonna spend six grand for a cruise. And every time, it’s like pay this, pay that. I don’t like that very well. I would like for her to go to something like that but not on the cruise. The school itself is fine though. It is great.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Enrolling my child at Barbizon was easy. The staff was friendly and they were like a family. My child participated in both modeling and acting classes, and the development has been better.

Original review: April 1, 2019

My son has always been interested in personal development. We were at the mall and Barbizon had people there. My son did a six-week course for the modeling and the enrollment was very easy. The Director of Education was very professional. She made sure her staff was doing what they were supposed to be doing and when they were supposed to be doing it. She made sure the kids got breaks on time. She really was on it and I enjoyed meeting her. My son volunteered to be a mime at church, so the course has helped him build his confidence, to be able to stand in front of the congregation to minister to them. It definitely built up his self-esteem.

Barbizon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Barbizon is a modeling agency that has been representing young fashion and print models for more than 75 years. The company, which was founded in 1939, has offices in more than 200 locations around the world.

• Training and instruction programs: The company does not just get actors and models jobs, it also helps develop talent. Barbizon offers acting courses, such as improvisation and audition practice, as well as modeling training, such as makeup application and runway modeling techniques.

• Contests and scholarships: Barbizon focuses on representing young talent from preteens to teens, because of this it also helps clients win contests and scholarships to fund their education and careers.

• Convenient locations: Barbizon has more than 200 locations worldwide, so it is convenient for people who live all across the United States.

• Simple audition scheduling: People who are interested in representation can schedule an audition with the company. Barbizon offers Barbsimple online scheduling to make the audition process as easy as possible for potential clients.

• Life development: Barbizon works on personal development with its young talent. The company offers services such as interview skills classes, self-confidence development and etiquette lessons.

• Best for: Child talent.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs