4.6/5 (30 ratings)

About Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling offers modeling, acting and personal development coaching and classes for teens and preteens. The company also leverages its industry connections to help graduates with representation and placement. Barbizon works to build positive self-confidence in students in all of its programs.

Pros

• Designed to build self-confidence
  • 75 years of industry experience
  • More than 200 locations
  • Network of industry pros

Cons

• Does not accept all applicants
  • Does not guarantee jobs

Bottom Line

Barbizon Modeling offers personal development, modeling and acting courses that focus on self-confidence and life skills. Barbizon has 75 years of experience and an established network of industry connections.

Top Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Verified

My daughter saw them in the mall and filled out a form, and then they reached out to us. They were very pleasant and helpful, and very supportive. Since doing the program, my daug...

Verified

Barbizon was very well-rounded and very appealing to us. They were looking for a wide range of kids. It wasn't like they were just there to pick out certain kids and move on. They...

What is Barbizon Modeling?

Barbizon’s personal development classes help young people develop basic personal skills and self-confidence. Enrollees learn career-building basics such as resume development and interview skills. Voice and dictation, poise and posture, nutrition and exercise and etiquette skills are also part of the curriculum.

Barbizon’s mission is to help young people gain confidence and develop life skills that can be used in any career, not just acting or modeling. Barbizon also teaches its students the art of self-promotion.

Its modeling development curriculum includes:

• Runway techniques
  • Grooming skills
  • Model etiquette
  • Self-confidence training

Barbizon acting courses

Barbizon acting development alumni have appeared on Nickelodeon, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, Disney, HBO, movies, commercials, local theatres and other productions.

Its acting development curriculum includes:

• Audition practice
  • Commercial acting
  • Art of self-promotion
  • Improvisation
  • Self-confidence development

How does Barbizon Modeling work?

Barbizon Modeling has more than 200 locations in the U.S. Parents of teens and preteens interested in Barbizon programs can make an appointment with a talent director in their area. Fill out the form on the website to have a Barbizon representative contact you.

When you meet one-on-one with the talent director, you discuss your child’s goals and find out if Barbizon is the right place to help you and your teen get started. After that, the company conducts a personal interview and evaluation to determine if the applicant has the qualities and dedication Barbizon is looking for.

Once your teen or preteen is accepted to a program, they can attend classes. Instructors include industry professionals with extensive experience in acting and modeling.

Barbizon also holds auditions and talent searches frequently at local Barbizon centers. Contact your local Barbizon to find out how to attend an event. You can also enter contests sponsored by Barbizon, which include prizes such as shopping sprees, photoshoots and college scholarships. Check the Barbizon website for contest details.

Barbizon Modeling cost

Barbizon's tuition cost varies based on the location where you attend and the classes you take. Some Barbizon centers offer scholarships or payment plans. To find out more about Barbizon prices, contact a local talent director to set up an interview.

Barbizon Modeling FAQ

Is Barbizon a scam?
No. Barbizon is a modeling, acting and personal development company that has been in business for more than 80 years, offering training and placement services.
Does Barbizon get you jobs?
Many Barbizon graduates have gone on to acting or modeling careers. The company has industry connections and can help you make your own connections by assisting you with agency or placement services. Taking courses with Barbizon does not guarantee jobs in modeling or acting.
Do you have to pay for Barbizon Modeling?
Barbizon Modeling has tuition costs that you must pay to enroll and take classes.
Does Barbizon accept everyone?
Barbizon does not accept everyone. Applicants must go through a personal interview to determine if they will be accepted to the program.
Does Barbizon Modeling pay you?
Barbizon Modeling does not pay its students.
Where is Barbizon?
Barbizon has more than 200 locations in the U.S.

Is Barbizon worth it?

Barbizon Modeling has 75 years of experience in the talent industry. The company focuses on building self-confidence for young people while teaching them modeling and acting industry basics and knowledge. Enrollment in a Barbizon program can help students build a foundation for a career in acting or modeling, but the company does not guarantee jobs or representation with a talent agency.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: April 26, 2022

I was a student at Barbizon when I was younger. I talked to my granddaughter about going to modeling class and I told her about my experience. She was interested so I signed her up for Barbizon and she was accepted into the program. She really liked the program. Every time I picked her up, all of her instructors said how proud they were of her and how much progress she was making during every class. My granddaughter got confidence in herself. We didn't get the overall score until after she was done with the program. But we didn't let her know that they scored her there on all levels of her training because I didn't feel that that was right and we don't do anything to bring down her confidence or make her not feel that she accomplished her goals. Her goal is to model as well as go into the military.

I would recommend Barbizon with a suggestion to discuss with the child where their weaknesses are and where their positives are so that they can improve on them. My grandaughter never said that anyone has told her anything like that. I never got a bad record about her. Barbizon seemed so busy. They had a lot of children coming in and out and they didn't want a lot of contact because of COVID. I only wish they have more instructors and keep the same number of children. Overall, they do a good job.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I thought that modeling would be a fun thing to do. I looked it up and found Barbizon then I took all the little quizzes that they had just to get information. I put in my information because it was required to do it then they sent me a text one day and they were trying to promote Barbizon classes. I replied to the text and then they responded and asked if I could come in one day and we set up an appointment. Going through the program, I liked it a lot and I learned how to present myself better, talk to people, and do better in the street. The people there were nice too. They've definitely improved and done really well as teachers. Overall, it's definitely worth it and to just become confident in yourself. I've noticed that a lot of people would go over what they needed to have done for the next class and my advice is to do that because being prepared is also really important.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

My daughter enjoyed working with Barbizon and I liked how they boosted up her confidence. When she started, her confidence level was about a 5, and now she's about a 20. She made tons of friends there and stuff that she's still connected with, and how they still want to help even after she's graduated from the class. She has an agent now. She went and did a few modeling for pictures to be put on her website, but no jobs yet. We're still in the process of trying to get everything set up for that.

When we went to one place for her pictures, she shot with a guy that used to work with the Rolling Stones. She was telling him some of the things, but he was telling her to pose. She said that in school, they were not supposed to pose. But then he said that with fashion, she had to do it. Barbizon might be a little behind in the posing, like how the guy was having my daughter do motion moves for pictures and bringing her hands up to her face, because of hand models sometimes, you still put your face into it as well. She was nervous because the people were always telling her, "You don't do this. You don't do that." Then the guy was telling her, "You just keep moving while you're doing your pictures. The movement is where it's at." She was struggling. Barbizon could improve on helping the girls get more in tune with the different types of modeling. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Barbizon made sense as they offered our daughter something that she wanted in terms of training to be able to move forward in the modeling world. Enrolling our daughter into the program would have been easier had it not been for the Coronavirus. That made our process of getting into the program a little lengthy from the moment we first reached out. I also had a few issues but customer service was great.

Families pay all this money to have their children go to this level of training. It would be nice if the children could at least have a portfolio once the program is over. We have nothing. It would be nice if they can have that where the children could at least start to sell themselves to agencies. It will be nice if they left with a list of local agents that the families could potentially reach out to or have some appointments to sit down in front of or at least have a mock or a legitimate gig in the real world. That would be most beneficial for families.

In the end, the only person who really gained anything are our children but at the same time, we don't know what they learned per se because there's no real tangible product. Once the program is over, my daughter goes to school. When she's in school, is she a model? No. There hasn't been a climbing step for her to get into the modeling world. She's still at square one even though she may know how to walk. Families are wanting their children to break out in that world. Overall, Barbizon is beneficial but you're still going to have to do the dirty work. For what it was, it was good and we would make the same decision again. I just wish there was something else. Once that part is over, what's next?

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Latasha, We are so happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your experience with the program. Regarding a portfolio, a professional modeling portfolio is collection of work done not just a collection of pictures taken. Should your daughter choose to pursue modeling opportunities, she will be able to build her book over time showcasing many different looks and styles for projects she has worked on and that will help her market herself in the industry. There is an opportunity available to your daughter that students are told about during the last day of their program called Placement. Once your daughter had received her certificate of completion, she is eligible to request her placement enrollment information. This is a free service which will provide her with a list of reputable agents and managers in your market that she should send submissions to in order to try and gain representation. Additionally, she will receive a model card to fill out and send back. Once this is complete, she will begin receiving notifications of upcoming modeling and acting opportunities in your area that she is a good fit for. She will need to call the Barbizon she attended to request her placement enrollment information if she decides she is ready to pursue industry opportunities. As students take our program for many different reasons, Placement is a service that requires the initiative of enrollment to begin branching into the professional aspects of the industry and we are here to help during that process.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The sign-up for the class with Barbizon was easy. But towards the ending of the class, they give more feedback to the child as they're going through the classes. I really didn't have any communication and it would have been a little bit better just to know how my daughter did. It would have been nice if one of the instructors either sent a quick email saying, "This is what I thought about her. This is what she can do." This is because the child is not always gonna come back to the parents and tell them things, especially if they are teenagers.

Also, Passport to Discovery was right after she ended her class. That was great. I enjoyed that and my daughter did as well. As a child, she needs to put a little bit more effort into it because there's only so much that an ambassador can do. We had Mercedes and she was really great in getting some feedback. My daughter is not her only client. But whenever I emailed her, she always responded to everything. The drawback for me and what I didn't do well, is making sure that my daughter stays in constant communication with them. This is her first year. At Passport to Discovery, the better you become at it, the better chances you have at winning those scholarships. It's unfortunate that the classes only last for six months and it was once a month. It was eight hours a day but did they really cover everything that could help her?

Another thing is we're still waiting on the placement card, which they told us would be out. That is a little disappointing. My daughter really can't do anything without those cards. Other than that, we will be signing up for Passport to Discovery again next year. You actually have to go through a virtual call again and be selected. My daughter did get called for a virtual audition but she keeps getting calls while she's at work. When she gets off, Barbizon is already closed, so we don't have the information.

Overall Barbizon is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You can do it for however long that you want and you can constantly still sign up for it. We would tell others to do it because they would be able to meet so many people. It's networking and you constantly receive help, which is good to help perfect what you need to work on. Barbizon gave my daughter an opportunity to come out of her shell a little bit, which is one of the goals of Barbizon. They get people that are interested in acting and modeling because they have to be a little outgoing in order to do that. You have to be able to get out there in order to talk to people and experience the best experience that you can.

As a consumer, I like the payment plan. But I hope it can be extended out. Everyone likes a little bit more time to make the payment. Being that it was in Orlando, the hotel in itself was expensive so I can understand the pricing of it. But by stretching the payment, somebody would be more inclined to do it. Overall, my daughter liked Barbizon and really enjoyed it. She would continue with it. The modeling is good.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Barbizon helped my daughter with confidence building. They learned how to walk the runway. The teachers were super upbeat. There were lots of positive energy and constructive criticism. They learned facial care, hygiene and makeup. The only negative thing I have about it is that they want you to keep spending money. She always gets accepted to everything and it's always going to cost thousands of dollars. She was chosen to go to the Orlando event they had, but that was gonna be $3,500. We declined moving forward. The class itself was only six one-hour classes and it was $2,000. We were under the impression that there would be more connections but there weren't. I think they just choose everybody and it's the money for them. I don't think that they're overly selective. If my daughter was someone that people would be interested in, she would have a sponsor. But no, it's totally the opposite.

Original review: May 20, 2022

My daughter enjoyed the course that she took with Barbizon. She would do a full day on a Sunday at the local college university. She enjoyed most of her classes though there was one of them that she didn't enjoy so much. Barbizon could be a real confidence booster but the only way that you'll get anywhere is through hard work as with anything.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My daughter, Madison, has been wanting to do modeling for a while and she loved the program at Barbizon. She really looked forward every month to go to all her classes. Now, she's trying to get her placement card and she just received her certificate in the mail last week. The Barbizon staff are all nice. Madison is a very antisocial person. So, this opened her up a little bit more. She really enjoyed the classes. She said she wants to get back into it again.

Original review: April 14, 2022

The program was better than I could have imagined. It was amazing. The staff was very open and helpful. They answered the questions. My expectations going in were high, but Barbizon completely exceeded them.

Original review: April 11, 2022

We're so glad we made the decision to join the Barbizon family. It is a very well-organized organization that my daughter and I and my husband, along with her siblings have enjoyed her being a part of. She is ecstatic about it. With them, her vocabulary and self-esteem have gotten better. Her fashion aspect has gotten bigger as well. She dresses nice and carries herself nicely.

Things are a little different for my husband and I financially because he is the only one working outside of home. I have been battling some health issues. Barbizon worked with us to make sure that our daughter can stay in her classes. They accommodated us. This is one of the best experiences my daughter can have as a pre-teen and she's loving it. We're loving the experience and her venturing out and meeting people from all aspects.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Information