4.07/5
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Barbizon was founded in 1939 and expanded from a single location on 5th Avenue in New York City to over 200 markets worldwide. Our program provides instruction in acting, modeling as well as personal development. At Barbizon, it is our goal to nurture the dreams of every client that enters our offices and help each them discover what makes them special. Let us help you develop your one-of-a-kind “star” quality and give you the tools to help you shine!

Barbizon Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

488 Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I took my daughter to a counselor at the time because she is shy, quiet, not confident, all that stuff that teenagers go through. So, her counselor mentioned Barbizon Modeling. She said her granddaughter did that. She went through Barbizon and it helped her. I started checking into it and got involved with Barbizon. It was a good experience. Their process was easy and the people were very cordial. We had one session with them and then they started the classes. The limited interaction that I had with them was pleasant. The program was okay and very expensive but we wanted to invest this money to hopefully get my daughter out of her shell a little bit. However, my husband and I don't see a whole lot of difference. She's the same kind of person that she was before Barbizon. But she said she liked it and she feels that the program is a little better. So, we'll take her word for it.

Get expert buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Mia has been wanting to try personal development and modeling for a long time already, and it was her decision to look into it. A long time ago, I've heard of Barbizon's commercials and I thought it would be a good idea to start it off with them because they have been around for a while. Sign up process was pretty easy. They were friendly and helpful. Still, they've been very helpful lately. This is just the start for her. However, getting information sometimes is slow from them. The placement information was gonna take about four to six weeks. How can we can't submit that online? That's how information is transmitted nowadays. We no longer use mail. We're not living in the 1800s anymore.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My daughter was in the mall and she saw a booth, and she signed up for it and Barbizon called back. It was an easy process. I talked with someone and he answered my questions. My daughter does modeling because it's part of the program, but she's mostly into acting as it's her passion. She took all of Barbizon's classes and graduated. She’s auditioned for Simone, the Passport to Discovery and for a competition in Dallas. I recommend Barbizon.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am a mother of twin daughters who was targeted by Barbizon a model school. They target ** and ** in urban communities with false advertisement of how to succeed in show business and life. The education part is good but this agency has no credibility and charge thousands of dollars for unnecessary classes. When I attended their seminar I realized no other race besides ** and ** was in the room. It was a lot of young kids under 14 years old some without parents. When I enter the agent room she started to ask 3 times what was my kids' nationality. She touched their hair to confirm texture to see if they was considered ** or ** in my opinion. She played it off by asking if they went to the hair salon giving a complimenting. I gave $1000 for both kids holding a spot under the assumption I have 3 days to cancel but that was a lie. I was targeted because I was ** and young. This was a scam as per the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My daughter got a phone call from somebody at Barbizon telling her that they were going to be in the area and that she should come and audition. Signing up was good and easy. The staff have all been great. If I had a question, they got back to me right away and were very pleasant. Victoria has a little bit of anxiety, has always been shy and lacked a lot of confidence, and we were hoping that going to the classes would make her a little more confident. She enjoyed the classes, made a lot of friends and now has a lot more confidence. She’s done a couple of auditions for Passport to Discovery and I’ve seen so much growth in her during everything. I definitely see a big difference in her modeling skills. She carries herself much better and I see a bit more maturity in her. Barbizon is well worth the time and money as what the students get out of it is just amazing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: April 8, 2018

My daughter was talking about stuff like modeling and she was interested in it. My husband came across Barbizon and asked her if she would like to try it. She went through her classes okay and seemed to learn a lot. Everything seemed pretty fine to us. They’re really good with the knowledge and helping her. They answer any questions you have and are really helpful if you have any problems. And they're cooperative and informative. She’s still going through some things with them now. They're really good with the kids and I would recommend them.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I’ve known about Barbizon since I was a young girl and I’m almost 50 now. My daughter already has an agent but we felt that she needed additional training, and Barbizon offered the best in that venue. Signing up was very easy. The Barbizon reps are very good and they answer very quickly. My daughter did the whole program in Pensacola and she learned a lot of real world applications that she wouldn’t necessarily listen to mom about. We have recommended Barbizon.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My daughter is interested in performing music and acting, and while Barbizon represents that they can get you in touch with the right people, all we saw were opportunities to pay $2,000 - $6,000 for a promise of an interview/introduction. First, we spent about $2000 for my daughter to take the class. I was not impressed with the people I dealt with. Nobody was aware of the "deals" we made with our phone representatives, or of payments we had made.

The headquarters is in Florida, and I wondered if they hired a person in our medium-sized town on the West Coast just to set up an operation to collect more people's fees. The class itself was...marginal. The kids did their makeup (with some very cheap makeup provided by Barbizon) and learned to set a table. They might have done a "commercial." I saw some horrible pictures that were taken of my daughter. She missed one of the classes over the summer, and since we don't live in a big city, "there are no make-up classes scheduled at this time." There probably never will be. Daughter can't be recommended for any auditions without having finished all of the classes!

We were called in to "audition" for a chance to go on a Barbizon cruise in the Caribbean, which was to be a huge chance to get in front of talent scouts from all over the globe. Maybe, just maybe my daughter could get picked to go live in South Africa and model for 6 months. (She is in the 9th grade--who would want that??) It turns out that for this opportunity (I would need to go with my daughter, because it's a cruise off Florida), I would need to come up with another $6,000 or more! I still have seen no return on the $2000 from the first class, not to mention buying high heels & clothes, and getting her to all-day-Saturday classes once a month for 6+ months.

The high-pressure sales tactics were astonishing! "We need to know today or you are coming on the cruise with us, or there won't be a spot". The "audition" and the hard-sell phone call occurred over a 2-day period. It was crazy! Then we found out that one of our friends was offered the cruise for 40% of what we were being asked to pay, so we just bagged it. It just doesn't feel like an authentic opportunity. Save your money. If you want your kid to model, just research auditions. You don't have to go through a "talent agency" to get an audition. This is not a creative confidence-building course. It's cheesy.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Our experience today March 11th 2018 was something else, my daughter was walking in the mall with my mother the day before and was approached by someone about Barbizon and to come in early on a Sunday morning, I found out late at night about the whole thing, so I didnt even get a chance to look up any information about the company off hand, and as a parent you want to know what you about to walk into, my mother wasnt aware of things like that and this hasn't been our first time being asked for one of my children to model. Anyhow, we get there to the New York office and it was nice to see a professional place of business and see how well set up everything was, gave me a better feeling than the last few places we have been to in the past, so I had hope after being there for a few hours and I found that each child in there would be a client no matter what, as long as their parent had the money to make it happen that day.

I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case because I didn't want my daughter to feel bad about it if we had to leave. We met with our Agent Jessica. She was nice, better yet she was the Sun, moons and Stars when you meet her, she tells you all you need to hear, want to hear, and makes sure your child is feeling her energy. Then of course the blow, I had to break it to her that I did not have any money down that day but could try and work something out within the week and the Sun went down on that light she had and she was no longer eager as she once was. I pay attention to body language cause of the job I do and it was disappointing to see, when I told her not now she informed me well my daughter would be dropped from her class and she won't work with her, and will not be a priority.

My next question is so if on Tuesday I had the money and I mean the whole $1000 down she asked for on a Sunday out of the $4700 program, without me even getting a chance to look up a company info to make sure it's real, without giving me a chance to think about how to move bills and life around and don't worry about your other kids, or the fact that there is little to no guarantee that my child will even get booked, just more like, "Trust me. Give me the money or your kid will be just another number to me after you walk out the door." It gave me that feeling again that this can't be good. Even after telling her my son had spine surgery which is really why I was tight with money (It was a good thing I was. She would have got me for it) because I was out of work for 3 months caring for him and my other kids.

She didn't even flinch at any remorse of the situation, and even if you don't have kids as a women you care just a little when you hear something like that, nope she's like, "Well do you have a credit card on you." It was funny to me that she stated that she would text me on a Tuesday cause she doesn't like to talk on the phone, now I am supposed to give you my money and I don't get to talk to you, I will get a text from you and if I was to come up with this money someone if not her would let me know who I would be dealing with but it won't be her. Now tell me why again should I be eager to get this money to her when she is no longer interested in my child because I don't have money in her hand today? That left a Bad taste in my mouth if you ask me. Where would it be going and who will my child be working with if we had the money? She said she didn't know. They would tell me if I decided to come back with money.

At the end, my 11 year old daughter caught what I saw at the end of our meeting, she said, "Mommy she didn't even get up and walk us to the door." I said, "I know." She stated, "I guess if you gave her the money she asked for she would have at least walked us to the elevator." Yeah I know. Thanks Barbizon. I hope this was not an overall way things are done but I really wanted to believe that we would be working with you guys with my kids. Today was not a best example of that. Maybe a different approach when it comes to the details of the money. That way nobody waste time in the whole ordeal, and people want to know they can trust you cause I can't tell what make you different from the other out there.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My daughter had signed up for some make-up. The girls really liked her and they passed it along because they were actually from Barbizon. They convinced me that she’d be really good at it, so we went ahead and went forth with the classes, and she really liked it. She’s really interested. She took all of her classes, and we went to the Orlando competition. It was an easy sign-up process and the staff is friendly.

But we just went through a difficult time on papers being sent and we didn’t receive some stuff. We’ve been playing phone tag this past couple of days. The people are great. It’s just that we're not getting a call back from certain people. I paid for the trip and we’ve already invested a lot of money. Now, I’m not hearing back from anybody. It was in October. And we haven't heard anything from them until now. We’ve done everything we were told do to. We sent our thank you's. I’m not a professional in this at all. This is all new to me as well. I asked other parents how this should go or that should go, and everybody else would turn back.

The program was absolutely wonderful. My child finished her classes and had done everything she needed to do. She is more confident and she learned a lot. She’s very happy with it. I am as well. I’d recommend them to anybody. It’s a great thing for the child to do. It’s just the miscommunication or lack of communication right now.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My daughter, since she was two years old, wanted to do either modeling or acting. Before she got involved with Barbizon, she entered into her first pageant, and she came first runner-up for the state of North Carolina and South Carolina for Top Model, and she never had any prior experience. She did that first in 2016, and then in 2017, she went to all six classes for Barbizon and enjoyed them. She learned a lot and honed in on her skills with things like the runway, speaking and doing commercials. She has more self-confidence. It’s been good for us, overall.

My wife found out about Barbizon in the mall here in Greensborough. There was some literature at the mall. Barbizon took the time to talk to us. Everybody was very nice and courteous. They answered all of our questions. It went well. And the instructors were very good and knew what they were talking about on the subject matter. The program is an investment for the child. It's a little expensive and one has to invest money as well as time.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

My daughter was interested and found more information about Barbizon. Then, she presented it to us, asked me if she can fill for it and I told her, “Yes”. The staff was good. Her sponsor let us know if she was prepared to the class and if she had any questions and reminded her about her next class and what she needed to prepare for. She has finished her classes and has learned a lot but we haven't been able to look for more things about modeling and acts because she has been doing a lot of stuff. But we went to one interviewer in New York where they gave her a small paragraph that she has to learn real fast and act like any type of actress that they prefer. They ended up choosing somebody else but it was a nice experience and it was fun for us. She could see how that industry moved.

I liked the program because she’s more confident with her personality. Whenever she has to do a presentation at school, that’s really good. And she knows much better to take care of her makeup and her hair. I would have liked that they could have interacted more with her because it was just a one-month thing. But they were really clear with us about it if she can go ahead and retake one class. It was a really amazing experience. And I think it’s a good experience for any type of teenager to go through with so they can get more confident and comfortable with who they are.

It helps them a lot in different aspects, especially to look for their inner person and what they want. Kids are always looking to be someone else and if they are going through these classes, they get to know their own person and classic things that you don’t teach your kids every day. Whoever asks me, I always tell them it was an amazing experience and if they have the budget to do it, why not.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My daughter, Arielle, always expressed interest into personal development and we hadn't found a good avenue to plug into. So, when she found out about Barbizon and I did my research, I thought it was a good thing to do. And because of the reviews about them, we went with them. Signing her up was very easy. I did appreciate the customer friendliness. That meant a lot to me. We’ve had to call in a few times for questions here and there and everything has been professional and on point. They're very prompt and punctual. Arielle participated a year ago. She was with a different class, but I think it was six weeks. She has a lot more confidence. She walks with her shoulders back and with her head up, and I’m loving it. If I have a friend who has a child with the same interests as Arielle, I would definitely recommend Barbizon and tell them to do some research, plug into it and it’s a go.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My granddaughter is happy. She's learning tremendous confidence and the little techniques, that’s all part of the confidence. I just don't know what direction she’s going to go yet, but she has the interest and she’s doing well with it. She was taught how to move her body when picking something up. It sounds like she had a good all round approach to modeling. And I think she needs to go further. She was selected to go to the Discovery in September and she’s looking forward to that. That’s going to be a cruise and it’s going to be 110 people who work with models. She could be selected. It’s all been a positive experience. I researched Barbizon before. We took the big plunge, and they're the number one modeling agency.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I grew up modeling. I was in Atlanta, and I started at 7 when I was placed in several magazines. I wanted my child to go through the program. I didn’t know of any programs around here. We got a call to go and listen to the presentation that Barbizon had. After they talked to me about the program, it was like, “This is great. We’ll just do this.” The class was once a month in Birmingham. And so, we went up there, and I think it was 9:00 to 5:00 learning how to do makeup and doing runways. It was more of the etiquette. It definitely helps and it’s great, especially for beginners. We don’t know how far it will take us, but hopefully, we’ll get something out of it. Sarah is very mature for 11. And I guess it exposed her. She has never done runway, and she didn’t know how to apply some of them, so it did give her some application.

Signing up was easy. It was online, and then I did have some problems, but I called Barbizon and they got it worked out. The staff were always available too. If we needed any help or we could reach out to someone. I would highly recommend them. It’s definitely a beginner’s program, so it would be very good for other people’s kids to do.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I wanted my granddaughter to build her self-esteem. I’ve heard of Barbizon the longest and I signed her up for their classes. I had no problems with the process and so far it's been a good experience for me. I had to let their staff know that we were missing a couple of classes and we rescheduled. They seemed pretty good. Barbizon taught my granddaughter how to put her makeup on and they did modeling and walking. They were also able to do acting. The program did what it was supposed to. My granddaughter was very pleased and she had a great time. She did a recruiting session for future people which she enjoyed.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My daughter likes modeling and acting. And then somebody called my cell phone and told me that there’s a lot of agencies in Dallas that might be looking for someone with her height, her hair, her skin color, and everything. And since we live in Dallas, we signed out for her to take the classes at Barbizon. This person said that when she graduates, some agencies will be calling her.

The people at Barbizon are very organized. They know what they’re doing. In addition, if we leave a message, they called us back and made follow-ups. My daughter went to school for six months. She was there every Saturday of each month. And while she has improved, we're concerned because she hasn’t had any calls yet. No placement has been done for her after she graduated last October. So right now, I'm still waiting to get the package they would send us once she graduated from her classes. But still, if a friend would ask about Barbizon, I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I felt my child has the qualification to be an actor or a model so I decided to look into personal development. We went to the audition when Barbizon went to his school and they chose him. We got Barbizon since it was convenient. It was local too. My child had acting classes and it was an eight-hour class for six months. After we paid for it, we were on a waiting list. They talked to him one time and offered him a job and getting other people to sign up. Then, that’s when they called for my daughter. I took my daughter and she just had a class but they required us to make a down payment. I picked up a class, credential and a qualification and they did. There was some type of discount for my daughter when I told them that my son was a graduate of Barbizon but there wasn’t a discount applied. That was only for a hundred dollars and it’s $2,700.

My son just exhausted off what he got from Barbizon and he didn't have a chance to use it. It was a good thing learning how to walk but I didn’t think they taught him that. We went to another audition but they wanted some more money and I couldn’t afford that. Now, I want to take my daughter to the same classes and it’s the same scenario but it’s a costly experience. I have invested a lot of money into it but out of the $2,700, we just received a certificate. We didn’t even receive a portfolio. Barbizon said something about filling out some type of form for us so they can call one at a time like claiming a placement thing.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My child has been wanting to do modeling and acting for a while. Her grandmother felt like the name Barbizon Modeling meant something. My daughter participated acting classes and classes on how to draw makeup, how to handle an interview and how to pose. She enjoyed the classes that she had and the program helped with her confidence. She also made a lot of good friends. But I haven’t heard back from Barbizon since the classes ended and my daughter hasn’t gotten any work stuff yet so I feel like I wasted money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Barbizon has been our first dabble in the performing arts and the signup experience was good. It was encouraging and very positive. It gave us a lot of hope. My daughter Natalie is a little more on the curvy side and I wanted her to feel good about herself. I was trying to give her self-confidence but the program had the opposite effect. It became very much a comparison of herself to other girls and it wasn’t so evident up to the class.

She took the entire six months’ training with them and that was great. Then she participated in the Eighth Annual Bella’s Competition. She came back with two callbacks and I thought it was great. Somebody noticed her. But she looked at it from another perspective, “Yes. But look at the skinny, tall girl next to me. She got 20.” In the end, for her, it was almost like, “This isn't for me because I’m not the tall, skinny girl.”

It’s a good program but they need to be a little bit more grounded in setting the expectations. They say anybody can make it and show a picture of a curvy girl who is making it as a plus model. But that’s 1% of the business. It’s more about understanding what the industry is really about and who has that higher chance of success. They’re all super nice women but my daughter is not a fit for the program and I really wish they were more honest about that. It’s also a lot of money to be spending and then we spent it and realized the chances are slim.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Barbizon had people in the mall and my daughter signed up with them there. They were helpful but we didn’t talk to them that much and when they were in the classes, they didn't want us there. My daughter has graduated and so, I am in the process of filling out her paperwork so she can do vocal. We wanted to boost my daughter’s confidence. But she said she did not like the program. That may just be part of her teenage thing though. Other than that, my experience with them was pleasant but I would wait until we find something that she can do local.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My daughter was in one of the pageants and after doing that, she had a choice between doing that again or looking at modeling, which was something that she wanted to do. She got an invitation to go to one of Barbizon’s orientations and our interaction with the staff was all good. Signing her up was pretty easy. The only frustrating experience was that she wasn’t able to start right away. So she ended up having to finish that class later, which then somehow confused the folks that were getting us all set up for our stuff. She had already graduated but somehow we all got invited back to the initial orientation. We thought it was something different because we didn’t think they would send us back to that. And of course, we couldn’t say anything until the end. So that was a little frustrating. But otherwise, everything else has gone rather smoothly. Barbizon’s modeling program made my daughter a lot more confident.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have another daughter whom I wanted to do some personal development work with because she seemed to need it. She’s grown up now, and partially due to the family circumstances and divorce, she could have used some other kind of help. She’s gone about her own way of getting some of that information that we would have gotten from classes at Barbizon. Due to that experience, maybe it would be beneficial for my other daughter for her to get it. She was looking into doing some sort of modeling like runway work. She’s interested in doing that for money, for her college. She likes the classes at Barbizon Modeling although she was a bit critical of the classes because she didn't feel she was really learning anything.

Barbizon have models in the class. I’m assuming there’s some sort of information my daughter could have gained from listening to them. But I haven't seen much more than that. They mentioned something about getting people positions after the classes. The work aspect that my daughter was most interested in is going to the malls and advocating for Barbizon and whatever partner organization they team with, and putting people in the malls to stimulate more business for them. I haven’t seen anything like “Modeling, Modeling”.

The staff at Barbizon are very nice people and very respectful, and they treated us fairly. The only difficult thing about Barbizon was they found my daughter’s house way too distant from any city and it was difficult to get to them. The only modeling jobs that are available are located in malls. One was too far for her to drive to make it worth the cost. The job is advocating modeling, which they need to do, but that’s the only job they ever have called us on. They also said they'll send out a package from modeling.

After you finish the modeling school, there’s a free option to get you on to the mix of going to modeling and send you the package, and you can sign up. If they see a job that comes up available that your daughter fits, they’ll send you some information to see if they want to take advantage of it. But the only thing to take advantage that they mentioned to us or have done through the program was to go to the mall and sit there, and talk to people about modeling and try to get them to sign up. There hasn’t been any sort of runway and magazine.

I would expect something more other than, "We need someone to sit in a chair at the mall." It’s a minimum wage and it is an experience. I’ve done models before and their positions were more than just sitting in a mall and trying to get people to go to this school. The program cost $2,600 and I haven’t seen any products from the class that helped her create something or helped her learn something, although there are some benefits.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My Beautiful 13 year old daughter was approached by Barbizon at a mall. We attended the presentation, which was an hour of a Korean American corporate spokeswoman telling us irrelevant personal information about herself. When she finally cut to the chase she revealed that it would cost $2500 to attend modeling school. If that wasn't bad enough once I read the requirements for this "education" I told my daughter we were leaving. It is truly shameful to impose archaic gender roles on our children. Girls are expected to wear dresses and high heels, boys slacks and dress shirts. It's 2018 for heaven's sake!!! Kids should be encouraged to be themselves, and not forced to abide by what society thinks a girl should look like. My daughter has short hair and my son has hair to his waist. Barbizon is the same "charm" school it was back in the 80's.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Hi Glenda, We are sorry to hear that you were not able to speak with a talent director at the audition you attended so they could address some of your concerns regarding the curriculum. In addition to modeling and acting, Barbizon's core focus remains on personal development and confidence building. While some locations do implement a dress code, all Barbizon locations encourage students and graduates to be the best version of themselves so that they will be better equipped to find success in modeling, acting or any other professional field. If you have specific questions about the program in your area, your local school would be happy to address any concerns you may have.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My daughter was out at a mall and Barbizon Modeling saw her. I went with what my daughter was looking for and some of the things that she wanted to accomplish. We were supporting her dream. My daughter's very quiet but she's always been bold. If she was in a room, you would not know she was there. But when it comes to speaking or doing things, it's like she turns into somebody else. I felt like if she had the training to give her that extra confidence, she would be great. This program did that for her. It boosted her confidence and gave her an idea of what she wants to do.

We had a couple of tragic things happen. My daughter lost her grandfather while she was going to school and I appreciated how they supported her and us as a whole. They were truly concerned about her and took the time outside of class to make sure that she was okay, as well as to work with her on anything that she missed. It was like she never skipped a beat. They did a good job though I wish that some of the information at the end came a little quicker. Other than that, it was a really good opportunity and I'd recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Our experience with Barbizon Modeling was okay. We were walking through some mall and our child saw it on the kiosk. Signing up was very easy and as long as you have the money, you’re in. She filled out some sort of form at the mall and mailed it in, and surprisingly enough, they called and responded to it and we decided to give it a try. The staff was very pleasant and very personable. Our child went through the classes and she enjoyed it. She no longer works with Barbizon. We decided not to continue because after paying a few times, it was just a never-ending bank. But she felt very confident at that time in terms of personal development skills. We found out later Barbizon Modeling had been in business for a very long time and they’re very reputable. They’re good and I would recommend it to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We received a letter and we also saw Barbizon Modeling at an affair so my daughter filled up some things there and then we got a call or an e-mail to come and try out. Signing up was easy and the staff did really well at answering the questions and everything that we had. They were very friendly and helpful and as far as customer service, everything was good. They did a lot however it cost a lot of money and the price could be improved.

We signed up for the modeling and acting program. We did the January, six-month classes that they had here in Atlanta. We went to one of those from January to June and now my daughter’s going to be a part of the Atlanta competition this December. She has always been a child that’s not shy so I hear a lot of people say, “Oh, well, it helped her come out of her shyness.” She’s never been shy but it has fine-tuned her skills as far as being more together and more organized because we’ve worked to put several things together as she's been selected for mixed media in Girl Scouts here where she’ll be a representative for Girl Scouts. They’ll be doing television ads so it helped her to memorize things and come out and be a little more confident in those abilities. It’s been a learning experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Our daughter did summer classes at Barbizon Modeling twice a month for over a five-month period. Their reps were good and my daughter really enjoyed the classes and the instructors. With her acting and modeling skills, she has been going out more for participation and plays stuff at school. She looks at her appearance a lot more, especially with the makeup. She has a sister who’s heavy into makeup and they talk all the time. She got invited to an event but couldn’t make it, though, and she hasn’t been called for anything else afterward. So, if there’s something that we need to do, somebody should initiate the opportunities that may come up, whether it’s acting or modeling or whatever the case may be. We’d still recommend it to a friend but we want to see the opportunity given to my daughter to be able to advance on what she's learned.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

We found Barbizon one day and my daughter had an interest in modeling and acting so we thought that it was an opportunity for her to explore a little bit. We were invited out to a general session that talked about the company itself and they were very informative. They told us what to expect from each student and what to expect financially. They also told us about the classes that were coming up and where they will be held. The system was well oiled and everything was smoothly done.

We presented a profile photo and my daughter went to the personal development classes for six months. The classes were once a month and the follow-up before every class was great. Someone contacted us through email and sent an alert that the next class was coming and what that class would hold. We also did the Barbizon show that was in Dallas last August. It was her first experience and she did really well and enjoyed her time there. She was part of one of the younger groups so she still has a lot of development to do. But overall, it was good for her to get a glimpse of what it would take for that industry. The personal development in the area of things like makeup and taking care of their skin, are not really just for modeling but for everyday life and those skills were very good for her.

The process and the model that Barbizon has is really good. But during the events where they have the shows and the agents come in to look, they should not have so many students attending because although we get callbacks, there were so many and afterwards the lines were so long. So after being there all day starting at 7:30 that morning, the parents and the kids were exhausted. They should also provide more time for the agents to get a chance to meet the students one on one.

Aside from that, in the introduction, they said they needed models for all sizes so they don't look at the size but at helping the individual. However, they should make sure that it is someone who is marketable and can work in the industry because individuals are investing in that and they want to have a positive outcome. When they accept everyone coming, it's like they were there for the money and not for the personal development and the idea that this person has at least a shot at it. In a conversation I had with another parent, they got invited to the event even though the closest modeling agency to them, among those that were there that day, may have been two states away. So it's unlikely that the child would get into any agency other than picking up and moving. I would recommend Barbizon but I would also provide advice because I know that everything is a business.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We got a packet from Barbizon in the mail and my granddaughter told us that it was what she wanted to do. She chose both the modeling and acting parts. My daughter did the signup and it was not a difficult process. The staff was very helpful. I would recommend them to a friend because my granddaughter enjoyed it though it was a challenge. I don’t even know how to put on makeup and she showed me how to put it on.

Barbizon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Barbizon is a modeling agency that has been representing young fashion and print models for more than 75 years. The company, which was founded in 1939, has offices in more than 200 locations around the world.

• Training and instruction programs: The company does not just get actors and models jobs, it also helps develop talent. Barbizon offers acting courses, such as improvisation and audition practice, as well as modeling training, such as makeup application and runway modeling techniques.

• Contests and scholarships: Barbizon focuses on representing young talent from preteens to teens, because of this it also helps clients win contests and scholarships to fund their education and careers.

• Convenient locations: Barbizon has more than 200 locations worldwide, so it is convenient for people who live all across the United States.

• Simple audition scheduling: People who are interested in representation can schedule an audition with the company. Barbizon offers Barbsimple online scheduling to make the audition process as easy as possible for potential clients.

• Life development: Barbizon works on personal development with its young talent. The company offers services such as interview skills classes, self-confidence development and etiquette lessons.

• Best for: Child talent.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs