Call toll free
4.21/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Barbizon was founded in 1939 and expanded from a single location on 5th Avenue in New York City to over 200 markets worldwide. Our program provides instruction in acting, modeling as well as personal development. At Barbizon, it is our goal to nurture the dreams of every client that enters our offices and help each them discover what makes them special. Let us help you develop your one-of-a-kind “star” quality and give you the tools to help you shine!

Barbizon Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

581 Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

My child wanted to do modeling and acting. When she was at the local mall with her father, Barbizon provided them information. Also, they had an open session where we went and got more information. Signing up with them was simple. However, you really don't get to meet their staff members that much. Parents are not invited to sit in or view in the classes. There's just a small area where we wait for them to enter and exit our child. Although, if you have a question, they're there to answer.

So far, my daughter has participated in the regional competition. She was also given an open audition for their discovery thing, but we weren't able to do that because of conflict in our schedule. I hope, though, they have a little more information on the other talent agencies that they may be associated with. Other than that, my daughter really seems to enjoy being with Barbizon. It really is our first experience into the whole world of modeling, acting and commercials, and she got a lot of information out of it. She continues to practice some of the regimens as far as facials. She also seems to understand nutrition better.

Get expert buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We did the modeling training with Barbizon and the sign-up was easy. I wanted help with putting myself more out there and not being shy. Their staff very thoroughly explained everything and whenever we had any other questions, we were able to contact them. Barbizon has helped me a little.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My child expressed an interest in modeling. She did the research on Barbizon and they looked pretty good to her. The sign-up was super easy and their staff has always been professional and kind. They answered all of our questions and I’ve never had a problem. My child has done the classes and she has done representing Barbizon in the mall. She has improved so much. Barbizon is an amazing company and their people are wonderful.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We heard about Barbizon at a kiosk in the mall. Whenever they reached out to us through the pamphlet that we filled out and we were invited to hear more information about it, we considered looking into acting and modeling for my daughter. Also, she's always been acting and modeling but never really goes into it. So, it seemed like a good fit.

Signing up with them was pretty simple. The casting itself was very detailed and I really plan using it to coach her. It's been a good experience with their staff too. They have followed up to see if we have any questions in regards to the talents and agencies that have reached out to her. We get periodic emails and communications through Facebook also.

So far, being with Barbizon built up my daughter's confidence and made her come out of her shyness. She did a competition in Amelia Island and two other local competitions. Through that, she was signed with five talent agencies since the event. She exceeded more so than what her dad and I thought she was. So, she's enjoyed the experience.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Every so often, we'd go to the mall and Barbizon Modeling would be there. My daughter has always wanted to be a part of that and I’ve promised her that when I could afford it, then I'd sign her up. So I did and it wasn’t difficult. We went to the meeting, got all the information, and then we found out the next day. I was always able to reach someone at Barbizon, so I didn't have any issues. The program enhanced my daughter's confidence. She finished July last year but no one has ever reached out until the past Sunday and I got a little bit of reassurance. She has something to go to next week, but for all that money that I paid, I would expect that something would have happened before now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My daughter pretty well had her personal development down as she’d done public speaking all the time. She just wanted to get into modeling. She went to a thing where one could go and sit and listen to it then she asked if she could do it. I told her yes and I paid the money for it. Getting started was easy. We just had to take her, like an hour and a half on a Saturday, to get to where we were going and then an hour and a half back. I’ve talked to people down at the Barbizon Clearwater, Florida branch and I had no trouble with them. They helped us when my daughter was sick one morning and we couldn't go, so they got her signed up for another one to finish her six classes out and she got her certificate. Now, it’s just waiting on my daughter, ‘cause they’ll give the modeling name that they’re hooked in with and who is 100% legit. I’m just waiting for her to give me two pictures.

My daughter's modeling skills are good. She’s only 19 so she’s got her teenage way. If I could change her little attitude, that’d be all right but it’s just that teenage stage that we’re going through. She’s put in seven applications to different colleges and she’s pursued a lot. She’s got a job plus she’s taking up a personal trainer. She wanted to be a doctor, but I think she’s pursuing other things too. She did National American Miss and a couple of pageants. She’s now trying to get hooked into somebody that does modeling. We're in Western Virginia and we're two hours away from there. I told her that I could take there if she could get somebody up that way but I wanted somebody that would be good and somebody who wouldn't tell her to pay this much money and then they were no good. Overall, Barbizon is good for kids that need personal development.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My daughter filled out something when she was at the North Star Mall in San Antonio. She was trying to pursue modeling or acting career. And Barbizon was more of a finishing school for her to teach her how to be a little more proper in regards to being a woman. It’s also an introduction to that business from a modeling perspective if that’s something she may wanna pursue. I’m always a little skeptical any time you sign up for these things because you never know what you’re getting into. I’ve read enough good reviews to where there weren’t too many people saying that the experience was bad. There were people saying that because they went to Barbizon, it should land them jobs, but that expectation wasn’t with me. And just like with everything, you take it with a grain of salt and try to determine whether or not this is something you wanna try to take on.

The people at Barbizon were great and very respectful. They were also very informative in the questions that we had to ask. My daughter had a lot of fun while she was there and it gave her a perspective on the whole modeling career field. Nowadays, when she takes pictures, she does a little of that photogenic type of stuff and she even teaches my wife how to get in and out of a car in a dress.

The whole industry is extremely expensive, because one thing leads to the next, and there’s always money associated with that. When my daughter had opportunities to go and audition at some events that Barbizon had, I got the feeling the events were just to get her in front of other people that were in the industry. Then that connection with other people in the industry would lead to cost me more money. So I was a little standoffish to it. But there have been some follow-up calls from them with some of the events that they had. And I’m glad that they still try to connect through sending emails or calling for her every time there’s an opportunity.

What I paid for the class was worth every penny. At least it taught my daughter some skills on how to be a woman, how to take care of herself, and how to present herself. If she was 100% all in to say that modeling is really what she wanna do then I’d jump all over it. If she's not sure, then I’d have a hard time investing any more money on it. But overall, I totally got everything that I wanted to get out of the program for my daughter and she got what she needed to get out of it in regards to trying to help her determine if modeling was something she would want to pursue.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My daughter wanna become a model. She saw a flyer from Barbizon in the mall and that was something she was interested in. I have learned about Barbizon for many years and I know that Barbizon is an accredited agency. It was very easy to sign up with them. Everybody there seems to be very nice and outgoing. She went to Southeast in 2018. She just started into the program and it boosted her confidence a lot. But, I thought their setup was something different and I didn't realize that you have to go to each event, which was a little misleading.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Jordan signed up for something at the mall and Barbizon called us, and she decided she was gonna do it. The staff were all very nice and working with them gave her a little confidence. She even made a friend who goes to another school in the area, and she's still friends with her. Barbizon got her to go to the mall and have people sign up for a raffle, and they paid her which was great. It was definitely a good experience for her.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My child had been interested in modeling and acting for a couple of years, and since she was super persistent about it, I went ahead and looked into it. We have a cousin in New York who went to Barbizon many years ago and she spoke highly of it, and we trusted her judgment. Everything was self-explanatory in getting started, so it was really easy. It also didn't take very long. Someone was always available, whether it be her instructors, the actor who came out to came out to Dallas or the lady we met at the audition in Florida. They also gave us some insiders on what to look for as far as scams and different things of that nature.

My child went to Barbizon's full personal development class for six months. She participated in those classes and she learned a lot, and she's been in fashion shows since then. She is able to speak for herself now. I just take her to an audition, sign her in and sit there. A lot of people that she comes in contact with thinks that she's been doing it since she was much younger, and she has to tell them that she hasn’t. We're super appreciative.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We saw Barbizon in the mall which made us stop and check them out. My daughter was interested in their services and I didn’t have any difficulties getting her into the program. She went for six months but she didn’t really care for it because she said some of the stuff that they did was extra and some people can do the stuff from YouTube. I asked her after the class was over and she said that the make-up stuff was too much. The program should’ve been a little more realistic. It was not what I thought it was gonna be at all. My daughter didn’t have any fun and she didn’t like it, but I had already paid my money and I forced her to go.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Signing up with Barbizon was easy. My child did modeling and singing. She was shy and it was very good for her. She got two modeling jobs and signed with two agencies in Los Angeles. I recommend Barbizon.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My sister used to model for Barbizon way back in the days. I used to have little gigs here and there, and then, I met a photographer that I met through my sister that worked at Barbizon. So I decided to come in. I went for an interview and I was chosen. I started taking classes and I started my training process. It was great. Everybody was so energetic, polite, hopeful, and everyone was willing to work with you. No one felt overwhelmed with any questions that they had. I really had a great time there and I loved all the instructors and coaches. They were really great.

Working with Barbizon has helped me build a lot of self-esteem for myself. They’ve made me feel more competent. Also, I used to wear makeup and they even encouraged me not to wear makeup. That’s my only look now and it just makes me feel way much more confident instead of hiding behind closed doors and sulking about what my image may look like. I’ve also gotten noticed and gotten a few jobs to do and some background work. I got actual industry privileges. And it was great to be out there and get a good look at what the industry is like.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

A friend of a coworker told me about Barbizon. Her granddaughter was going and I learned about it. Since my daughter was small, everybody always told me, “Why don't you do?” And then, one day, she said to me, “Mommy, I wanna be rich.” So, I just decided to do business with Barbizon. We were excited. My daughter learned a lot. She did acting, dancing and modeling.

The staff of Barbizon have been very understanding when dealing with questions. They cooperate with us and are able to see us to get to the best. Since Barbizon my daughter has a more classier attitude about herself. She always wanted, “Hey, mommy, can I put on this?” “Can I dress in heels?” So, that personality just pushed. It made her blossom a little bit more. They’re a great company trying to instill a good personality in people. I will recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We were in a local mall, and there was a table with some young ladies that had been through Barbizon and my daughter was talking to them. My daughter hadn't really expressed any interest. And when we were there, Barbizon caught her eye. She said, "You know Mom, I'm really interested in this," so we went and when she had her interview, they accepted her into the program. Every single person that we've dealt with has been the ultimate of a professional. They really care about the kids and the families. They helped me along the way. Anytime I had a question, they responded right away with an email or a phone call.

My daughter learned a ton in the program. She has competed just twice so far and already has two contracts with talent agencies. She did everything she was supposed to do, and she has done very well. She got an excellent education and foundation in a lot of different areas. She was sent on an audition for a feature film already. She also got interested in modeling and she won an award when she went into her second competition this fall and is gonna walk in the New York City Fashion Week fashion show. I've already had some friends that have asked, and my daughter had some friends that have gone ahead and applied. I've told friends that as long as their kid is interested and they wanna do the work, and they don't just expect Barbizon to do everything for them, it's great.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Barbizon Modeling has been one of the greatest things we have ever done. My daughter was walking down the mall a couple of years ago and Barbizon reps walked up to her and said she should be a model, which she was never thinking about doing. She didn't even tell me and she didn't call back for about a year or more. And then she said those people kept calling her so we checked it out. I felt like we should be optimistically cautious and not trust anybody. But now, my daughter is doing amazingly in the modeling world, and I owe it all to them. They prepared my daughter for her acting and modeling. They have been amazing and super supportive. They help us through every step of the process, from the beginning, to training and competing, to in the job market, and who to sign with like with Passport to Discovery and the Indianapolis Barbizon tour.

The staff taught her everything. And then, we went to some of the interviews like Passport to Discovery, the cruise, and for the Indianapolis thing, and they have scholarshipped her because we have 15 children. Then, she won some of the scholarships and paid her way and my way on the cruise. And when we were on the cruise, one of the people who was not her ambassador gave her ideas on her hair and some coaching for her next competition. My daughter did exactly what they said and she did great. We have met with Barbizon one time since then to go to one of their seminars and speak on their behalf because it has been such a success for my daughter.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Barbizon has been a very good organization to work with. We were most familiar with them and joining was something that my daughter was interested in. Signing up was very easy. She's done pretty much all of the events and we've been very happy with the staff. She is currently in college for acting.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Somebody from Barbizon approached me and my daughter at a mall. Then somebody gave us a call, we went to an audition and we just took it from there. We love Barbizon. They’ve done a whole lot for my daughter as far as bringing her out of her shell, showing her her potential and making her feel great about herself. We also love the way their reps communicate with us. The way they talk, the way they make us feel like family. We've been working with them for two years now and so far, we’ve had four competitions. Barbizon is a little pricey but we get what we pay for so I’m happy. I’d tell others that Barbizon is definitely worth it and that they should go for it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

It was really easy to sign up my son with Barbizon. Any time I ever needed anything, their staff helped. Barbizon definitely helped my son. He has more confidence in himself now.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was in this mall in Little Rock with my friend and one of the workers from Barbizon stopped and asked me if I have ever been interested in modeling. They gave me a card to fill out and two years ago, they called my mother and asked me if I was still interested. I got set up to do six months of training with them and I graduated in 2016. Ever since I graduated, they've been sending me emails and calls about whatever work opportunities they had in my area.

Working with them has helped me a whole lot, like if I want to do this, to go back to it. I sent an email out telling them that I can work full-time, so they sent me the website that I could go to if anyone needed models in my area. And so, whenever they need models, they always call me if there's somebody close to where I live. Barbizon's staff help me whenever I have questions or don't know how to email any agencies that I might wanna work with. They always give me guidance and tell me what I should do.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Barbizon Modeling called us first and then we went to the first meeting to see what it was all about. Then it seemed like my boys were interested, so we started trying little by little and ended up doing the courses. They had a class with six sessions and my first son only had one left to graduate but he went off to college and Barbizon didn’t have any courses over there, so he couldn’t finish it. My other son has basketball, so he’s been busy and couldn’t finish it too. The timing was really bad but he still has some classes to go to. The program is more geared for girls though. There weren’t too many guys there and a lot of it was putting on make-up, so my sons got bored and they left. They learned a little bit on how to walk but that was it. But for someone who really wants to put their foot in the door, Barbizon is a good thing. Plus, everyone there was really friendly and helpful.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I always wanted to try modeling out and I ended up really liking it. Barbizon was a recommendation from one of my friends and the experience was very helpful throughout those months that I was there. My self-esteem grew and I was more confident. I learned a lot of good things. Up until now, we're also still talking here and there, and they send me emails for jobs sometimes. I recently did a fashion show. Then I should also be having an internship in January with them. So I'm happy about that.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I got a call from Barbizon Modeling over the phone. I had filled something out at the mall with my information, and that’s how they had my number. They asked me if I was interested in classes. I thought the program was cool to do and it was something different compared to what I’ve already done so I went with it. The staff at Barbizon were all nice and it was interesting meeting everybody. It’s so different compared to everybody that I met before, so it was a cool experience. The program has helped me a lot. I was in my shell and I didn’t go out and talk to many people. I wasn’t confident. And because of the classes, I can see a difference in how I was acting and even in my posture. I am glad that Barbizon helped me get to where I am today.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We sent a picture of my daughter to Barbizon in Phoenix. They called us within a week and set up a one on one meeting. When scheduling this appointment I made sure to ask that there were no costs of any kind with their company. The scheduler assured me that was correct and told me that they were very selective with who they choose to represent their company. We arrived for her one on one interview and there were over 50 people or so called want to be models there that had been told the same thing. These 50 "models" came in all shapes, sizes and looks. It was very clear that Barbizon took anyone and everyone that showed an interest in their company. I thought I would give it a few minutes and see if my thoughts were correct.

A very obnoxious woman dressed in a ridiculous prom like dress with 3 inch heels came to the stage to address us. I immediately got another bad feeling, but she went on to say that their company never charges for a portfolio and they are not one of those "scam" companies. She loudly stated that modeling has nothing to do with looks and that is why you see people of all looks within the room. Really, modeling has nothing to do with looks? After about 30 very long minutes she told us if they do decide to sign you in their 2 minute one on one interview you have to be trained. That was the moment in which she let us know there were four months of training before they would really decide if they were going to sign you or not.

YES, you have to pay for those four months of training too (around $3000.00)! I immediately knew my thoughts were correct and this was a definite bait and switch company. My 14 year old daughter and I sitting in the second row stood up and walked out immediately! As we were leaving the parking lot another mother and her daughter came walking out with my exact same thoughts. I was thoroughly disgusted with this company and feel bad that they got my daughter's hopes up for no other reason than to prey/profit upon her. SHAME on this company!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was looking through a newspaper and my daughter saw a little thing that said Barbizon, so we called. We looked into personal development since she’s outgoing and she needed some self-confidence. She also wanted to try something. Signing up at Barbizon was a great experience. There were a lot of nice people and the teachers were awesome. After the class, they sent a certificate but they didn’t give any information on what we were supposed to do. They should send emails or keep in touch like they used to about upcoming events that they could put my child in the right direction to what she does afterwards. Nevertheless, my daughter is not much of a tomboy now. She keeps up on her appearance and the latest of fashions.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My daughter wanted to do modeling and we went to a Barbizon Modeling audition. They told us a little bit about what they do there, how long it takes and it was something my daughter was very excited about doing, so we decided to enroll. My daughter wasn't really sure she wanted to continue it, with her school and everything else, but she was so proud of herself for finishing it and that made a big difference in her social life and in a lot of other areas. She's actually applying herself in school more and she's not as shy as she used to be. The program boosted her confidence and it did a lot for her. The fact that she's so young and she got to complete something, it's something that's pretty neat. Not everybody can say they've been trained to be a model at 16 years old. It's great for anybody that has self-esteem issues. In fact, I've referred plenty of people to Barbizon.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My twin sister told me about Barbizon Modeling. At the time, we were into acting and modeling and Barbizon was like a girls’ school. They gave us some information about it and I was really interested to see if I can tighten up on some of the skills on filming and modeling. The signing in process was super easy. They had us come in and there was an audition process, but it was very fair and super simple for everybody to catch on to. The staffs that I dealt with were super amazing. They were very personable where everybody could enjoy the experience. Working with Barbizon was definitely a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Barbizon was at the right place and the right time. They seemed to have a really great program once my dad and I looked into it. The enrollment process was easy and the staff was really nice and always well put together. They set a great example as far as presentation. We did classes on runway, posing, hair and make-up, or how to present ourselves in the professional world. We also did classes on how to do a table setting and hosting events, and hosting television or whatever the case may be. The classes definitely made me more confident in myself, have the knowledge of everything possible and have the wherewithal to handle myself in various situations.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My daughter is really into acting so we went ahead and signed her up with Barbizon. She got a phone call and we went out to the school. We listened to what their rep had to say. They wanted the applicants to do a short monologue and my daughter did her monologue. She got a callback and started from there. My daughter loves it and she's really good. A lot of their staff enjoyed her company. My daughter goes to school now in California and she went to Barbizon in Florida. Everything that she has to do, she’s gonna do it only coming out of Tampa, which is not a problem. I know there is a Barbizon out in California, and she tried to get with them, but they do not return phone calls. Other than that, I've had several coworkers with their kids asking about Barbizon and I told them it's really worth it once you get through everything.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Macy is 15 and she's 6'9. So, she's got a very unique look about her. She's got really long and beautiful red hair. Everywhere she goes, people are like, "You should be a model." So, she went home and got herself set up on getting information from Barbizon. When Barbizon had a casting thing in Austin, she went to see if she got picked, and she did. We decided to go ahead and do it because it was something she's been wanting to do for the last three years.

We've had a good interaction with the staff at Barbizon. They kept us very informed in the beginning, and Macy is doing some marketing for them, which is great. I'm glad they called for her to do that. The Barbizon rep Macy was under said she did a really good job. I was happy to hear that 'cause Macy is super quiet and timid, so the fact that she put herself out there and talked to strangers was very encouraging for me to hear. Barbizon has definitely allowed Macy to get herself out there in ways that she probably never would have done, so it was good.

So far, it has been a fairly good experience with Barbizon. When we call in, the people are really nice, so that's been a good part of it as well. Nothing big has happened yet, but we felt that Barbizon helped with her self-esteem, and with the way she carries herself. I'm hoping that Macy starts to see some work from them, but part of that has been that she hasn't actually sent back the necessary steps. They have reached out to us and Macy still needs to give her pictures back into them to try to get on more lists, but we are also working with somebody in California as well, to try to get her some work. So, it has opened some doors.

Barbizon is a good program for girls that are needing a little help with self-confidence and what-not. A lot of different things have been going on with Macy since she finished the program, so we're trying to get through all that right now. And then hopefully, start pursuing some different things a bit more vigorously especially once the holidays get through.

Barbizon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Barbizon is a modeling agency that has been representing young fashion and print models for more than 75 years. The company, which was founded in 1939, has offices in more than 200 locations around the world.

• Training and instruction programs: The company does not just get actors and models jobs, it also helps develop talent. Barbizon offers acting courses, such as improvisation and audition practice, as well as modeling training, such as makeup application and runway modeling techniques.

• Contests and scholarships: Barbizon focuses on representing young talent from preteens to teens, because of this it also helps clients win contests and scholarships to fund their education and careers.

• Convenient locations: Barbizon has more than 200 locations worldwide, so it is convenient for people who live all across the United States.

• Simple audition scheduling: People who are interested in representation can schedule an audition with the company. Barbizon offers Barbsimple online scheduling to make the audition process as easy as possible for potential clients.

• Life development: Barbizon works on personal development with its young talent. The company offers services such as interview skills classes, self-confidence development and etiquette lessons.

• Best for: Child talent.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs