Accredited Partner

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

Barbizon was founded in 1939 and expanded from a single location on 5th Avenue in New York City to over 200 markets worldwide. Our program provides instruction in acting, modeling as well as personal development. At Barbizon, it is our goal to nurture the dreams of every client that enters our offices and help each them discover what makes them special. Let us help you develop your one-of-a-kind “star” quality and give you the tools to help you shine!

Barbizon Video
Barbizon Gallery (6)
View More View More

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

My daughter mentioned something about modeling because we were trying to find out something that she likes to do. I didn't really think she was serious about it. But once we bumped into the Barbizon people at the mall, we just took it from there. We filled out one of the cards then someone from Barbizon reached out to us and we signed up with them. I had heard about Barbizon growing up but I learned much more as my daughter, Caira, went through the classes.

Caira did the modeling school which is a great program. I believe she learned so much as a result of participating in the program. When she would come home, I would have her tell me exactly what went on in the class and she would show me the different walks, different turns, and things that she had not known before taking the classes. It really made her confidence level get a lot better because she's a shy child. I can see from attending the classes that she's really coming through her own, which I'm so appreciative of.

I also had good interaction with the staff at Barbizon. If there was a concern, I talked to Caira's instructor. I talked to her one day about make-up because Caira has acne and I asked if she would be able to use the make-up that I purchased. It was no problem at all. My only concern was at the end of the session, I wish we could have had a session with the parents for maybe 10 or 15 minutes for them to tell us what to do next so we would know. It doesn't have to be a long drawn out session like they had.

But it was like once the classes were done, I didn't know like where do I go from here? What do I do next? By me not being into the modeling thing at all because I teach school, I really didn't know and I had to kinda find my way. But I received emails from Barbizon and I reached out to some of the agencies. Caira was able to meet with one of the agents there and we had the photos and everything done. But I had to do the research myself because I have never done this before.

Other than that, I'm happy about Caira's confidence level going up and that she's excited about modeling even though she hasn't done anything yet. She was excited about having her photos done. It's something I don't think she would have done had she not gone through Barbizon. Overall, I think the company is good.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

My daughter was at the mall and somebody from the Barbizon kiosk convinced her to sign up for a drawing because they thought she was pretty. A number of things made me decide they were right for her. I like that the classes were drawn out over a long period of time, which reinforced that over and over with her for several months as opposed to two weeks of intensive and you're done. I also like that they really stress school work. She's a high school student and they said she had to have a high-grade point average and if her grades flipped, she wouldn't be eligible.

I like that Barbizon is a wholesome brand and doesn't promote a whole lot of that sexier type things. What really made it work for us was the payment plan so we didn't have to come up with a big chunk at one time. However, after she graduated, there wasn't a whole of support. She went to the Midwest event that she was chosen for and to Indianapolis. She also received 12 callbacks, which was the second-highest amount in her category. However, they have not been able to work with her locally. As a modeling agency, they don't have anything for less populated areas so if she wanted to really be active, she would have to go to Saint Louis, Dallas, New York or Los Angeles.

The staff at Barbizon was always upbeat, very supportive and friendly. One of the reasons I signed her up was that she has been in counseling for a couple of years because she was bullied a lot by the girls in her school. Barbizon really built up her self confidence and it helped her. She has anxiety attacks and if she got nervous, they'd say, "It's okay, just step out of the room, get yourself together and then come back." They established this in the beginning and they never called her out on it or drew attention to it so she felt more comfortable with that as well.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Our interactions with people from Barbizon has been phenomenal. I love Lily and Mercedes. Both of them are amazing and work really well with my kid. When we did the Virginia thing, I had so much fun being a backstage mom in the dressing room. It was really awesome. But I don't quite understand the placement that they do. She's on the placement list, but I haven't heard anything. I would like is to be notified of auditions in the area so that I can try to check into that. She has had four callbacks and one was very promising, but most of them were in Virginia area. We drive back and forth, even though it's not that far, it's that far for us. We have something in Rochester or even in New York City, although that's still far. But there's gotta be some great opportunities out in Rochester and I've not heard anything from placement and I thought I would by now.

We also got an opportunity to do some recruiting. One of our friends worked for Barbizon and we didn’t even know it. She had an opportunity at the mall and we really got to shadow the opportunity, which was really cool. I like the way that Barbizon brings the kids in. I thought it was a hoax at the beginning. We did a lot of research and checked into it. But until you get into the middle of it, you don't know what's going on.

I wish that at the end of the classes, parents could be invited in for the jam at least one time. Parents put a ton of money and a lot of time into this and they don't get to see that final excitement on the kids' faces or hear any critiques. The kids hear them, but when you have a younger kid, it's really important. A lot of parents, don't do anything with it after all the time they put into the program. And part of the reason they don't anything with it is because they don't see the results. Like when we've been in dance and I go to an open house, I say, "That's what I'm paying for and that's why I do what I do."

Lily, my daughter, absolutely loves the Barbizon program and has gone through about 99 hours of training. We went to all the classes the first time through, then we went through them a second time, except for the last class. She was eight when she started and she has never complained. She has always been bold and Barbizon gave her poise and the tools she needs to look good along with being bold. Barbizon has taught her how to tame her boldness, not to squelch it, and how to use it for her benefit. It has been awesome to watch her grow.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My sister was prettier than me. So, I wanted to be a model and show all her friends that I could be a model, too. I signed my name on some Cleveland website that would send me emails and calls. And a lot of people called back, but I ignored them. Spontaneously, Barbizon called and I answered, and they said I got in. I felt really positive about it though I didn’t really know anything about Barbizon at all. I was so new to the whole model thing. But my mom said that my aunt did it and that it was really good. She said she thought I should do it. So, I agreed to do their program and I completed it. It was the best experience of my life.

It was awesome and it boosted my self-confidence. I was really down initially but the first day, we all were cheering for each other and it was the coolest experience ever. I would recommend it to all of my children and all of my friends. It was pretty cool. I had multiple teachers because the teachers kept leaving to do business. But they were all very nice and one of them was really polite. She was helping us with our self-confidence and telling us about how she struggled with her own self-confidence. And she just said, “You know, you’re a Barbizon model now. So, you should feel really good about yourself.” And that really stuck with me.

Now, I'm better in my acting and social skills. We were all new people there and we all didn’t know each other’s names. We all were self-conscious about ourselves, but we all helped each other out. We were like one big family and I looked forward to it every month that we were going to each session. It also helped my improv. I never did drama club but it was good interacting and practicing. I feel like I’ve gotten better at it. In fact, I got two scholarships from two acting schools in LA and New York. So, that was at the recent competition for Barbizon in Indianapolis.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

My son is interested in acting. I found Barbizon online through a Google search and filled out the information form and they got back to me fairly quickly. The agent arranged an appointment date, time, and location for my son. The agent also made follow up phone calls to remind us of what to bring and to see if we had any questions or concerns. It was absolutely FREE to attend the event.

The day arrived and we absorbed a lot of information about the agency, Barbizon, what it takes to be a part of the industry, and what they can do for my son. Now, whether you are already experienced in modeling or acting or not experienced everyone can always use a little extra training and a boost to be better. My son went through the audition process and as we were already well aware that he needs a lot of work, the agent remained professional and enjoyed my son's presentation of himself.

We received a call the following day with an offer to receive training at a cost that many have ridiculed as a bazaar amount that I find fair. Well, why would anyone want to give such quality training away for FREE? This is an agency that offers a service so we cannot say because there is a fee that you cannot afford or don't want to pay, suddenly this is a scam. When you go to a law office you get a free consultation but further services to handle your case cost money. An attorney asking you to pay for his/her services to handle your case does not make it a scam. This is a similar situation. If you can afford it, I say jump in.

Unfortunately, I could not afford the amount that was requested to get my son the training he needs to achieve his dream career as an actor. Those that oppose the cost must consider that you get what you pay for. If you want expert training, astonishing results in skill improvement and other areas to land jobs, and you want the best connections to hiring companies Barbizon is the best option. What do you have to lose? If you want to use YouTube as your guide to gain the skills you deem so serious to your future instead of the experts then you go ahead and take that chance. I hope YouTube gives you the latest valid information and connections to jobs too. I, on the other hand, will do everything I can to save for my son to start the training in December. Good Luck to you all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

Original review: April 1, 2020

I like being in Barbizon. The activities that we did and other people were really nice. They tell me a lot and we've been grateful.

Original review: March 27, 2020

My daughter learned some things out of the program. But I don't think that she felt that it was as helpful as she thought that it would be, mainly because she has a lot of experience already and she's been four years in her drama class. She did learn about some of the modeling things, but she's not really interested in modeling. She's very adept in her own makeup, poise and presentation because she's been in acting for so many years. So a lot of the things that Barbizon is good for for other children didn't benefit her very much.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Barbizon was the only one I heard on the radio and it wasn’t far from our house. My daughter took acting and modeling and the learning was okay. But they didn't get to do what they promised like they said that she would get jobs that would help her out. I never hear from them. Then every time I heard from them, I had to pay money for something so I didn’t like that.

Original review: March 3, 2020

My daughter was interested in Barbizon with very sporty things and there was dancing. They were having a class every week. The people there were outgoing and quite friendly. My daughter feels better and more confident after Barbizon.

Original review: March 1, 2020

My daughter was very interested in Barbizon Modeling and did the education class. She has also done one event, which was the Southeast Competition that occurred in December in Florida. The education part was okay, but sometimes they would not go over all of the material in the book. I wish that they had gone over everything and taught the students as much as possible because it’s an investment in my daughter. I want her to learn and get all the information and instruction that was there. In the end, that instructor wasn’t there during the last two classes.

My daughter said she learned more in those last two classes with Ms. Mary than she did from her own instructor. It was good that she got something out of it, but disappointing in that she could have gotten all that knowledge in all of the classes that she attended. Also, when it came to the part about the students doing makeup, Barbizon told the ** kids in the class to bring their own makeup. For a professional organization, that’s unacceptable. They should have makeup for all skin types. Going to Barbizon can’t be something the parent wants. It has to be something that the child is interested in. And because you’re investing in the child, it becomes a financial responsibility as well. So do your research and make sure it's something that that child is passionate about or really wanna do.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers response

Thank you for taking the time to review your daughter's experience. We apologize if the instructor she had at the time did not meet expectations and will certainly look into this for you. As a graduate though, she is a lifetime Barbizon girl and is welcome and encouraged to come back and retake any classes as part of her lifetime membership. Upon enrollment Barbizon students receive a makeup kit (or skincare kit for males when requested) with many of the items they will use in class. Unfortunately, at this time this does not include foundation type makeup that needs to match a person's skin tone.

Barbizon author review by ConsumerAffairs

Barbizon is a modeling, acting and personal development school that has been working with kids, teens and young adults for more than 80 years. The company, which was founded in 1939, has offices in more than 200 locations around the world.

• Training and instruction programs: Barbizon offers acting courses, including improvisation and audition practice, as well as modeling training, such as makeup application and runway modeling techniques. Many locations offer graduate support services to help aspiring models and actors get real work experience and break into the industry.

• Contests and scholarships: Barbizon focuses on representing young talent from preteens to teens, because of this it also helps clients win contests and scholarships to fund their education and careers.

• Convenient locations: Barbizon has more than 200 locations worldwide, so it is convenient for people who live all across the United States.

• Simple audition scheduling: People who are interested in representation can schedule an audition with the company. Barbizon offers Barbsimple online scheduling to make the audition process as easy as possible for potential clients.

• Life development: Barbizon works on personal development with its young talent. The company offers services such as interview skills classes, self-confidence development and etiquette lessons.

• Best for: Child talent.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team