Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My daughter was trying to build her confidence and get into doing some modeling. She likes that. She was happy with the teachers that she had at Barbizon, and everyone that I've had to deal with was nice and helped us out a lot. The program made a big difference. She's more outgoing, not as shy, and she's happier with herself. I was generally pleased with the outcome. It was a very good experience, and I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

My daughter always wanted to do modeling and acting, so when the opportunity with Barbizon came up, we pursued it and everything seemed to play out accordingly. She's a little actress and it was a good fit for her. I couldn’t pass up this opportunity for her. Signing up was very easy. With regard to the payment, you could pay a lump sum or do it over time, so it's very convenient if somebody’s strapped financially. I didn’t encounter any issues.

My daughter has always been outgoing. When she puts her mind to something, she can do it. During graduation, there's a little fashion show and she was very happy with the number of agents that were interested in her. She's been on several auditions and she got to sing in one of the Conan Shows over Christmas. Seeing that, it makes her want to work harder when it becomes a reality.

I'm on the dance team at my school and we were doing a competition. I went to the mall at Nashville, and I decided to sign up with Barbizon and see where that takes me. I used to watch Shirley Temple when I was little and I always wanted to be an actress or model. Then I got a call from them a couple of months later. I looked through the magazines that they gave me and wanted to make sure that their program was not like one of those fake ones. But I saw some people there that I recognized, so I was like, "Okay, that's good."

I went to the Barbizon modeling and acting class in Chattanooga, and then they changed to Georgia, but that was way too far for me, so they transferred me to Nashville and that's the one I took. I'm from a small town, so signing up with Barbizon was very out of my comfort zone. At first, they interviewed us and everything went really fast. The staff made me feel a lot comfortable. My experience with Barbizon definitely made me feel more confident about myself. Doing the Barbizon class once every month was like being a different person for one time a month. I'm very satisfied and I really like the experience that I had with them. It has quite improved me a lot.

It was Olivia's second time to go out with something like a personal development. I told her once she got a little older that we would try it. I looked and read some reviews online and we decided to give Barbizon a try. So far, it’s working out good. She learned a lot and met new people and friends. She really has shown growth in her personality so it was a great experience. Also, the staff there was always very respectful and helpful and their communication was very well.

For the most part, my daughter enjoyed the experience with Barbizon. It has opened her up in regards to the way she looks at life although she's young. Also, I've seen her confidence level go up. The classes have opened her up to be more outspoken, not in a bad way but to be able to voice her opinion, not feel threatened by it and voice it in a way that she is not offensive to others. She's also being more inclusive of others and other people. I've seen the growth in her over the course of the classes that she's taken in the last six months. She completed her classes in December, but even at school, she volunteers more for public speaking. Now she's still enjoying the opportunities that she's hopefully able to participate in. She's doing the audition for Passport to Discovery and she's also doing the audition for the Capital District that's coming up in May. The one for the Capital District, I appreciate Barbizon inviting her to that.

The Director of buffalo go by the name Michelle has a very bad attitude and very unprofessional to be working with kids. My daughter was attend her 2 day of class and I owe .50 cent and she wouldn't let my daughter go into the classroom until I pay the .50 cent and I told Michelle when I came to get my daughter I would bring it back and she told me no because she can lose her job over .50 cent. Then a situation happen in class and Michelle the Director of the school told my daughter if they kick her out she will not receive none of her money back that her parents put in. Very unprofessional to say to a child that didn't know her parents was paying for her to attend them class.

Also I call the corporate office to let them know my daughter was not comfortable attend their school and ask them to refund me my money and on my contract it say 50 dollars of the money is nonrefundable and 150 was nonrefundable and she only attend 33% of the class and they got 820 dollars from us and they don't want to refund none of the money back.

Barbizon called me but I wasn’t positive it was something I wanted to do. Then they called me back again and I thought it would be good for my child, to help instill confidence and learn how to conduct herself around others and in interviews, to put on makeup. It's been a very positive experience so far. My daughter's doing something nobody else or her friends are doing, and it's building confidence knowing that she can do what Barbizon is asking her to do.

However, Barbizon doesn't tell you up front it's gonna cost you money. They get you in there, talk to you for an hour and a half, try to sell you on their product and then tell you how much it costs. They put you on the spot and you have to make a quick decision for a lot of money. I understand why they do it, but from a consumer standpoint, it catches you off guard. That was something I wish I would've been a little more prepared for going into it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barbizon?

One of the reps from Barbizon was at the International Mall. My daughter got a sheet and signed up, and we got a call from them. We enrolled her because that made her happy. Barbizon taught them how to behave in public, as well as manners so it wasn't that bad. Then we got a call from Passport to Discovery, and in my opinion, that's a total scam because I pay almost $4,000 for a Carnival cruise, which is the cheapest cruise. But other than that, my daughter got lots of confidence and that was why we supported her. This is something that made my child happy and I don't regret doing it for her. That was a very, very positive thing but it was very expensive to gain this positive feedback. The only reason I won't recommend it to anyone is the fee.

My parents got a phone call. They told me that I was a selected to audition, and we found out about Barbizon through that. Barbizon sounded very promising. I needed confidence and skills, so my parents thought it would be a very good investment. I have the want and the drive to finish, and I felt Barbizon was going to improve my acting and modeling skills.

The classes were very fun. My family did not have enough money to pay for it all at once, and I like how Barbizon let us split up the payments. That was very helpful. I was very sad because our director had to leave our second month of class. So it took a little while for us to get used to our new director, but she was very nice and very sweet to us. And I love my teacher. I am very thankful because I wouldn't be who I am today without Barbizon. I've built up my confidence and my acting skills for auditions and I can do my runway walk with no problem. I'm getting ready for Passport to Discovery and I'm very excited about that.

My daughter was approached at the mall, along with a bunch of her friends, and was asked to fill in some information if she was ever interested in modeling. It was a right time, right place kind of situation. She had been interested in it for a while, so she put the information in. Signing up was very easy for her. She’s a happy-go-lucky kid and she's lucky enough to be tall, skinny and pretty. So she just showed her own personality and I think that's what attracted them to her.

It had been a while and then we got contacted by them to see if she still wanted to come in and see if they could find a fit for her. It's not just about being pretty. There was a lot of education, little steps they needs to take and little nuances within the industry, and Barbizon prep them for it. There's a series of classes that they offered, so she went to those and had a lot of great experiences and takeaways from them. Every time she would go, she’d come back with something else. We've noticed a physical and a mental change on her. She stopped dressing sloppily. Her attitude was always good and she always had a good outlook. It just seemed like the outside was matching the inside more.

She loved the classes and we've competed twice. We also did the Passport to Discovery competition and she got accepted, but unfortunately, financially, we couldn't do it. But she just got accepted again for the one that’s coming up in Washington, D.C., and we're looking forward to going to that and what comes from it.

It was a great experience with Barbizon. Everything's been good with their staff. Any time I've had to call or talk to anybody, they’ve always been very pleasant. We also like that they’re willing to talk with her, and if she needs to take refresher classes, she can. We’re getting ready to sign up for the extension so that’s going to be a different aspect that we’re running into. That's coming down the road and we're just hoping to get her working more because she's already working here locally.

My daughter was at the mall and got a brochure from Barbizon. They were a little more affordable so we went with them. She took the class where they went once a month for six Saturdays, which was best to have a little of everything. Signing up was easy but financially a burden. Every time there's something to be offered, there has to be money to be shelled out. Right now they got the D.C. thing that they're talking about, and just to do that costs $795, which doesn't include the hotel stay. I'm still struggling to figure out how I'm going to pay for the cruise because they highly recommend getting sought out by agents. They tell you, “Your daughter is this, your daughter is that.” But then when you're talking to the other girls, they all have the same critique.

My husband feels like it’s a scam, especially with wanting $4000 for a cruise when the average cruise to where we’re going is only $1100 round trip. We’re looking at almost $7000 because my husband doesn't want our daughter to go alone. In the meantime, we don't know if we're going to have it at the deadline, and then we’ll look like the bad guys because it's something she really wants to do. Then the reps at Barbizon are like, “If you go to the D.C. thing, you might be able to get a scholarship and that could pay for the whole thing or 50% or 30%.” If we want to stay at the hotel for the low price of $1300, we can take the gamble of maybe getting the scholarship on the cruise or not. Just so that she can have the exposure to agents, to know if this is what she's really gonna do in life. Overall Barbizon has done everything that they said they would do, but right now my photographer is giving my daughter more exposure than they have.

My daughter was 10 years old when she first wanted to go to Barbizon. She attempted the first time and she missed a call to do it. At 16 she made it and she went through the entire program. The worst part of signing up was the financial aspect of it because it's really high, but Barbizon wanted her so badly that they were willing to give her a partial scholarship, which really helped. She paid her way through Barbizon and I did not pay a dime for her.

One time in school, a problem arose when a gentleman was harassing my daughter, and she brought it up to the attention of the faculty there. The following day, the faculty staff called to make sure that everything was okay. Thanks to Barbizon, she now smiles more. She's already photogenic, but she loves to take photos and she knows the angles in which she should pose now. She holds her head higher when she goes out in public and with friends, and she takes great pride in the way she looks more so than before. Overall it's a great program and every child should do it and build their well-being.

The Barbizon staff has been very nice. Signing up my daughter with them was fine but they could do better about explaining ahead of time before you get there into the big room. Also, once you get to a certain level, you think you're coming in just for an audition but you're gonna need to pay a lot more money for it. That could be explained a lot better too. I also had questions on some of the classes that my daughter went through as to why they did them. Then after they graduate, it would take six weeks to get the paperwork. I called them after the six weeks and they told me that it was going to take anywhere from four to six weeks for me to either get an email or a package in the mail. So I asked the lady to let me talk to someone above her and then she said that I'd have that email in the next couple of hours.

I was walking through the mall and Barbizon had a table set up. They have been around for a long time and for fun, I filled out a card for my daughter who had talked about wanting to try modelling. The process of signing her up was easy. We came down to Tampa to meet them. It was like an audition and it's a no-brainer because my daughter is 6-foot-1. She then took the classes, but was a little too old because she's 20. She was hoping it would open up more doors for modelling. She has been hired as a paid intern for Barbizon. She would work maybe one week in a month but would work more if offered. She likes working with the kids, loves everybody very much, and is enjoying it, which is awesome.

My daughter has always expressed that interest in personal development. Since Barbizon Modeling was what we had available at the time we were looking, we signed up with them. The whole signing up process was easy. They started with a presentation and they walked us through the process. So far, it has boosted her confidence and created additional interest in modelling and acting. However, the website and their method of communication when they send letters by email, the quality is not there. Sometimes, the documents that we receive is very low quality and when we print it off or enlarge it, it's difficult to read.

My daughter was walking in the mall when Barbizon stopped her and asked if she was interested. She filled out an info card and they called and said that if she was interested, she should call back some talent person. When we called that person, we were told that there's a big meeting where they were interviewing possible Barbizon people. My daughter went to it and 400 people showed up. They claimed only 50 was chosen and she was one of the 50.

Personal development wise, it gave her a lot more self-confidence and poise. She's already very lady-like but it educated her that she's doing the right stuff with skin care, hair and makeup. But I don't know if it's really been helpful getting her into a modeling career. Like in the packet that they sent, they expect her to create her own slate, video and curriculum vitae that she has no experience to put on there. That's been the disappointing part. The biggest thing to us was that they said they know most people aren't gonna become runway models but they could do catalog modeling. That was a very interesting prospect for us but I don't know if that's gonna turn out now.

My daughter, Brianna, went through the Barbizon modeling and acting class. We received a call from a scout who told her that they wanted her to come through on a plan. They gave the information to let me know what it was all about, and it sounded like it was something good to get her in to give it a shot because she wants to model and do acting.

When I first got the call and the email, I was like, "Okay. Here we go. There's some company wanting money and to waste time." But it was very nice. We went and we sat through the orientation and they told us all about the class. Then we waited while she talked with the scouting agent in the next room, and it went from there. They told us to come back and we were interested. The staff at Barbizon were all friendly. If I had a question, they responded immediately, and that was nice. It was easy to sign Brianna up for the class, and so far we've been sticking with it.

My daughter has become more outspoken and outgoing since she got started with the Barbizon program. She was very excited about everything she learned. She would come home and share it with us. When I went in there, I was thinking, "Okay, this will be all that I would hear from them - the list of what I have to pay." But she has auditioned, and thus far they're real.

My daughter's friend at school told her about Barbizon. Signing her up went well. Their staff were courteous and able to answer my questions. She took modeling and acting, and now, she's got more confidence though we're still kind of in the beginning stages of dealing out her cards.

When my daughter met Barbizon when she was about 12 years old. She was in the mall with my older daughter and they signed her up somehow. They called me a month later but I didn't and couldn't do anything to get her in because I wasn't able to go to the appointment. Three years later, they asked me and said, "Well, she's 15 now.” And I said, "We'll give it a shot. We'll go to the appointment and all that." We did and ended up loving it. Everything was very smooth and quick and everybody was very oriented and seemed very happy. They guided us through everything. She went through her classes and graduated so we're all done on that. Now, she just got the paperwork she was waiting for. She's definitely filling those out and waiting on the agent. She's very thrilled about it.

We were at the mall then and a young lady came up to us and asked about signing up with Barbizon Modeling. Since my daughter really wanted to pursue modeling and acting, I thought it was a great opportunity for her. So, when we received a call about classes that were going to start here in Atlanta, my husband and I talked about it and we decided that we'd go ahead and let her take a shot at it to see what it was all about. So far, my interactions with their staff went well. She had a great instructor and she really liked her a lot. Their program really gave her some self-confidence to help her come out of her shell a little more. She’s very focused now that she’s signed with an agency, which was not going as well as we thought it would go. But, otherwise, it’s been an awesome experience, overall.

My daughter has always wanted to be in that industry of modeling and acting and always participates in pageants. Barbizon's reputation is pretty well known and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt it had to be a reputable company. We got a flyer through the mail, filled out the paperwork, and then they sent the information. Signing her up wasn't difficult as they pretty much already had everything in place. They had the packets with the different plans we could choose from, the different payment options, and things they had available to all the parents going through the lifestyle. They would also call me, and sometimes send me information via the post or mail. My daughter attended their six-month program and she said it had given her a sense of confidence and a lot more information as far as runways, the turns, what to do, and what not to do. It was a great experience for her and I would recommend it to a friend.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Hi Sonya, Thanks so much for taking the time to review your daughter's experience. We are happy to hear that she enjoyed her classes and that they were able to help her build on her natural leadership skills. We apologize that there were some issues during your original registration and would like to let the local school know about the challenges you faced registering. Please send any additional information or comments to us at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com. Thank you again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

My daughter was at the mall and there was a Barbizon kiosk, and she filled out information for their classes. Then they called us the first time and I didn't believe them because I didn't have a clue, and I'm like, "Oh my gosh, who is she giving my number to?" So, it went rather badly and we didn't attend the audition the first time around. The second time around, I spoke to a person who was very charismatic on the phone and made me feel quite at ease. We went and did the audition, and they said that they would love to take and train my daughter.

We initially didn't do the sign-up. We had a week to agree, but I took a bit longer. There was a lot of my daughter's begging that she wanted to do this, so I agreed to it. However, they did not give me all the information and paperwork, and we had planned a family trip, so she missed her first class. Nonetheless, they told us not to worry and that she can make that class up the following month. So, she went to the second class, which would have been her first class, even though it's the second class in the program, but they didn't have her booked. They had her on the list, but they had to call somebody to verify. It was a mess. She ended up making her first class up for her third class.

I let her take a lot of the initiatives. She is 15 and that's something that she really wanted. She's already driven and a leader, but this course was great for her because it gave her more skills that allowed her to be more comfortable, and it gave her the opportunity to show off some of her skills. She ended winning Diva twice because she went to the class that had that Diva award two times, where two different classes were make-up classes. All in all, it was her initiative and she took all the ownership of the classes. It wasn't something that we parents pushed our daughter into. It was something that she wanted, and she graduated and did very well at it, and I'm really proud of her. This course, though, isn't for everybody.

My daughter was in the mall and she signed up in the Barbizon Modeling kiosk. With their modeling program, she got the audition to go the cruise. Everything is just great and easy.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Hi Alice, We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would appreciate any specific feedback you had regarding the curriculum at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com. Our local schools are always evolving and improving the way the courses are taught to ensure that regardless of whether the student is interested in modeling, acting or personal development they are able to find success in the program. Regarding job opportunities, did your daughter ever call to request her placement package following graduation? During the program, students are informed that this is a necessary, no cost step to receive notifications of local job opportunities for which they are a good match. If you call the local school, they will be able to assist in providing you with specific information of what is included with placement. While the cruise audition is not required, it is a great additional opportunity for graduates looking to have access to many agents and managers that travel from all over the world for this event. We hope this helps answer some of your questions. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email if you would like any additional information.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

My daughter was approached in the mall about modeling with Barbizon. We attended the tryouts where they determined whether or not they qualified. The next day they pressure you into committing or you are out. We committed and attended training about once a month. There was a final showcase the last day where the girls showed off their ability. It was pretty bad watching some of the girls run down the runway. It appeared they were not trained by a professional as they said they would supply. At the end, they invite you to try out for a cruise.

I think all the girls made the cut because I saw them all the next day where they try to get you to pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise in which there are no guarantees of jobs. We got 0 job opportunities through Barbizon. Only opportunities were me reaching in my back pocket. We have since moved onto another company and for much less money we are getting modeling opportunities. Barbizon will sell you on "you must pay money to get returns". This is hogwash. You must pay the money so they can live more eloquently.

Lina joined Barbizon's modeling and acting classes. I called in for a packet and haven't received it yet when she graduated. It's been a couple of days, but I got her certificate.

My daughter wanted to do modeling and acting, and we went with Barbizon since they seemed very enthusiastic for the kids that they were working with. Signing her up with Barbizon was very easy. The Barbizon staff has been like family. My daughter went to the audition for Passport to Discovery, and she got accepted. Barbizon's Modeling program helped her achieve obstacles that she used to not know how to achieve before.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Hi Bridgitte, Thank you so much for sharing your daughter's experience with Barbizon. We are happy to hear that it was a positive environment to nurture her personal development. In reviewing her file, it does not look like we have received the model card provided with her placement package. This is necessary to enroll her for placement notifications so that she will receive updates when modeling and acting jobs become available in your area. If you have any questions about the placement program and what is needed to complete her registration, please don't hesitate to contact the local school she attended directly. Thank you again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

My daughter signed herself up with Barbizon and she said it was easy. She still has some work to do when it comes to her shyness, but Barbizon is more personal versus a large-group training session that she had done before. She had smaller-group training sessions so it worked out a little bit better. The biggest disappointment was that she hasn't had any acting or modeling jobs to come through from it. When you join these programs, you want more than just the personal development.

My wife and daughter went to the mall a while back and my daughter filled out a card, then I got a phone call one day where I was briefed about Barbizon. It was a good opportunity and the right thing to do at the right time to put our daughter in Barbizon and it was the right place. Their staff were very knowledgeable and were always nice and the ladies were great from the times that I had drop my daughter off.

Amazingly enough, Barbizon's modeling program has made my daughter more confident and has gotten her out of her shell. She's really a shy person and takes a long time for her to get to know people so the program really forced her to become her own person and do her own thing. Now, she's even in a dual credit speech class at school and she says that it's not a problem because a lot of the things she learned in Barbizon is what she can use in the class. It's awesome and definitely worth the money. My wife and I really appreciate it and hope that she can gain some more. I hope that she has opportunities down the road to really utilize the things she's learned even though she's already got some and we'd love to see how that expands.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the Barbizon modeling and acting program! We see that you returned your model card to enroll in the placement program which is really great place to start if you are interested in pursuing modeling and acting opportunities. Have you had a chance to submit to any of the agencies on the list provided with your placement package yet? Additionally, you can contact your local school directly to make sure that your placement status includes all of the modeling and acting opportunities in the major cities near you. Opportunities will be submitted to you but are dependent on client requirements and the availability of jobs in your specific region. Hope this helps and please do reach out to your school directly for further information.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I got signed up with Barbizon in the mall and I told my mom about it when I got home. We were worried at first but my parents came up to me and asked if it was something I was interested in. It seemed fun to me so we went in to Barbizon inside the mall and my parents heard in the meeting that all of them in Barbizon are nice. It was easy for my mom to sign me up but it was hard on the budget. I had the modeling class and we talked about everything. My interactions with the staff were good and I felt really close and comfortable with them. My mom was told how easy it was going to be for me to get jobs and that Barbizon will help out with jobs really quick after graduating but she doesn't see results that much.

We signed up with Barbizon for the fun of it. It was an opportunity to see where they can go. Signing up with them was pretty easy. Everything was pretty smooth and the staff was wonderful. The only problem I had was trying to get my daughter into the business. Everywhere she's been to or wherever they sent her to, people like her right off the bat. But sometimes it's costly trying to get her into other areas and getting her be recognized by someone. My husband is on a fixed income right now and it's kind of hard.

They wanted my daughter to go to a trip sometime this year. They came back and told me they've given her another 20% off discount and that they really want her to go. But 20% discount is not enough. If I'm going to go with her, we're still talking about $5000 or $6000 for the whole package and that is where things need to be put to the head office. There is opportunity but there's not enough opportunity where low income people can be given a chance. Barbizon should have a scholarship where they can help them. That's my only problem and everything else was great.

My daughter saw a Barbizon stand in the mall and she signed up for it. It was an easy process although I was a bit worried having to spend the money and not knowing where it would take her but we went through with it. She went to the classes that were held in Hebron, Kentucky. She was leaning towards acting but I guess she did wind up modeling. My daughter now wears cologne and make up which she never did before. Their staff was real nice. Anytime I needed something I could call them and they would always make sure to answer our questions. Now I'm waiting for her placement packet.

Signing up with Barbizon was fairly easy. The staff were all very friendly and were able to answer any questions I had. I would recommend Barbizon Modeling to other people.

Barbizon Modeling & Acting Centers Company Profile