Modeling and talent agencies are companies that represent models and actors and help them obtain jobs. Modeling and talent agents are connected with professionals like producers, casting agents, and publishers in various industries, and they use these connections to help place clients in the right roles and get them the best financial deals. Agents take a percentage of clients' incomes in exchange for finding jobs and negotiating contract details. They also often help shape the career trajectory of talent looking to make a living or become known in a specific industry.
Top 10 Best Rated Modeling & Talent Agencies
Barbizon has been helping models and actors find work since 1939. It specializes in preteen and teen talent and provides an online quiz users can take to determine whether a career in modeling or acting is right for them.
|Read 380 Reviews|
IT Factor Productions has placed over 7,000 models in jobs since its founding in 2007. It acts as a middleman to connect models, actors and musicians with producers and directors for specific projects and long-term relationships.
|Read 110 Reviews|
Ad Kids works within the commercial industry to place child actors in television commercials, magazine photo shoots and other advertisements. It screens parents to find the right parent-kid combination for acting success.
|Read 14 Reviews|
John Casablancas has been helping young people improve self-esteem through modeling for more than 30 years. The company places models throughout South America, Europe, Asia and the U.S. and has a strict screening process.
|Read 92 Reviews|
John Robert Powers has been offering modelings services since 1963. It operates out of the Philadelphia area and provides acting and modelings classes as well as placements in New York and L.A. for both kids and adults.
|Read 38 Reviews|
New Faces is a talent agency that first introduced online portfolios for talent in 1995. The company represents adult, teen and kid models and actors. It also allows casting agents and potential talent to connect online.
|Read 40 Reviews|
The Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television is a unique organization for talent that was founded in 1979 for Canadian television and film actors. The company offers development programs, awards and helpful publications.
|Read 9 Reviews|
Hollywood Auditions offers users the ability to search online for modeling, acting and photography opportunities. Users can search for calls to audition and apply directly for positions through this company's website.
|Read 10 Reviews|
Maultsby Model and Talent Agency is a company that represents clients in North Carolina, New York and Los Angeles. The company helps develop new talent, and it also helps transition beginning level talent to more advanced careers.
The Youth Film Academy is a school designed to teach teens the art of film and production in the entertainment world. There is a selection process to attend, requirements include photos, an audition, age restrictions and more.
What features matter most?
Types of clients
Talent and modeling agencies represent actors and models across a huge range of talents.
- Actors: Agencies representing actors help them get roles in movies, television, films, commercials and more.
- Models: Modeling agencies represent clients who want modeling jobs, including catalog photos, fashion shows and commercials.
- Talent variety: Many agencies represent a wide variety of clients, including models, actors, athletes, chefs and comedians.
Number of agents
Agents are the professionals who work with clients and producers to place talent in jobs.
- One-agent company: A one-agent company has a single agent who represents and works with a number of clients.
- Small agency: A small agency has a couple of agents to serve clients.
- Large agency: Large talent and modeling agencies may have more than 100 agents to help clients get jobs.
Additional services offered
Agencies don't only help talent find jobs, they can also provide additional services to help boost the careers of clients.
- Industry education: Some talent and modeling agencies offer clients courses in the industry they work in to better their careers. Some examples of industry classes include audition training, acting classes, and runway walking lessons.
- Personal guidance: There are some talent agencies that offer courses and enrichment to help shape the lives of their clients. These services include things like self-esteem and confidence boosting sessions, public speaking lessons, and more.
- Management services: Talent agencies that have managers on-staff often help guide the trajectory of a client's career in a more hands-on fashion. Managers also provide more assistance to a client for everyday needs, like booking flights, finding hotel rooms and more.
Clients and casting agents can access the information from talent agencies in a variety of ways to match clients with open roles.
- Online access: Many agencies offer clients and production companies access to information like head shots and resumes online.
- Paper-only agencies: Many traditional talent agencies only use printed headshots and resumes to submit to projects.
- Multi-platform access: Some talent and modeling agencies submit hard-copy headshots and also have a platform for digital access.
Agents take commissions from the payments actors earn for jobs the agent assisted them in getting.
- Low commission: Low-commission agents usually charge clients around 10 percent.
- Standard commission: A standard amount of commission for a job is usually about 15 to 20 percent of a client's pay.
- High commission: About 25 percent is considered to be at the high end of commissions.
There are a variety of ways that talent and modeling agents find the clients they represent.
- Scouting agents: Some talent and modeling agencies scout for potential clients in the general population and sign people with no experience in the industry.
- Agents who accept mail-in resumes: Some agents accept resumes and head shots by mail, and they meet with and sign people who are looking for an agent.
- Agents who sign experienced clients: Some high-level talent and modeling agents only sign actors and models who have lots of professional experience, and they often poach these clients from lower-level agents.
What are different types of talent and modeling agencies?
Modeling agencies have agents who represent models. They work with casting directors and fashion houses to place models in advertisements, runway shows and ad campaigns.
Full-service agencies represent a wide variety of clients, from television actors to film actors to singers.
Entertainment agencies focus on placing actors in roles in television and film, in addition to helping musical acts arrange gigs and set up bookings.
Sports agencies represent professional athletes. They can help negotiate contracts with teams and place athletes in advertisements and endorsement deals.
Who's it for?
Aspiring actors can take advantage of talent and modeling agencies to get their careers started. Talent agents can help place them in their first jobs and guide their reputation and image in the industry.
Children who are models and actors often need agents to manage their careers. Talent and modeling agents can protect children in the industry and ensure they continue to build a career as they grow.
Experienced entertainers, like models and musicians, still need talent and modeling agents to help with their careers. Talent agents can help entertainers negotiate contracts and get the best deal for their work.
Fashion models need agents to get them modeling jobs. Agents can place models in print ads, fashion shows, commercials and more.
The It Factor Productions is an agency that represents models, actors and musicians. The company was founded in 2007, and it has placed clients in more than 7,000 projects and jobs.
- Best for Aspiring actors, child talent, experienced entertainers and fashion models.
Barbizon is a modeling agency that has been representing young fashion and print models for more than 75 years. The company, which was founded in 1939, has offices in more than 200 locations around the world.
- Training and instruction programs: The company does not just get actors and models jobs, it also helps develop talent. Barbizon offers acting courses, such as improvisation and audition practice, as well as modeling training, such as makeup application and runway modeling techniques.
- Contests and scholarships: Barbizon focuses on representing young talent from preteens to teens, because of this it also helps clients win contests and scholarships to fund their education and careers.
- Convenient locations: Barbizon has more than 200 locations worldwide, so it is convenient for people who live all across the United States.
- Simple audition scheduling: People who are interested in representation can schedule an audition with the company. Barbizon offers Barbsimple online scheduling to make the audition process as easy as possible for potential clients.
- Life development: Barbizon works on personal development with its young talent. The company offers services such as interview skills classes, self-confidence development and etiquette lessons.
- Best for Child talent.
Ad Kids is an agency that specializes in representing child models. The company has many years of experience placing children in a wide range of commercial modeling jobs.
- Best for Child talent.
John Casablancas founded his self-named modeling agency more than 25 years ago. The company currently has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Milan, Tokyo and is present in other various cities. The company focuses solely on representing models and actors, and it provides training and instruction.
- Best for Aspiring actors and fashion models.
John Robert Powers started his agency in New York City in 1923. Considered to be the first modeling agency, John Robert Powers both educates and helps aspiring and working models book jobs.
- Best for Aspiring actors and fashion models.
Hollywood Auditions specializes in helping actors prepare for and land auditions and roles in productions. The company provides a database of available jobs and auditions for working talent to browse through.
- Best for Aspiring actors.
Marilyn Agency is a modeling agency with locations in New York and Paris. The company represents a roster of superstar models, and it was founded by Marilyn Gauthier in 1985.
- Best for Fashion models and experienced entertainers.
Storm Model Management was founded by Sarah Doukas, business partner of Richard Branson, in 1987. Based in the United Kingdom, the Storm Agency finds and develops new modeling talent, and the agency also represents established models.
- Best for Aspiring actors, experienced entertainers and fashion models.
NEXT Model Management is one of the world's leading modeling agencies, with offices in London, Paris, Milan, Los Angeles and Miami. The company was founded in 1989, and it has worked with a roster of some of the world's most successful fashion models.
- Best for Experienced entertainers and fashion models.
Creative Artist Agency is often considered the most elite of all talent and modeling agencies. With offices around the world, the company represents many successful artists, models and personalities.
- Best for Experienced entertainers.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
11 – 16 Best Rated Modeling & Talent Agencies
Storm offers representation to models, artists and those who work in the television broadcast industry. When it was founded in 1987, it was run out of founder Sarah Doukas' home, and today is best known for representing Kate Moss.
|Read Expert Review|
NEXT Model Management provides modeling services around the world from cities such as London, Paris, Miami and New York City. The company specializes in finding top fashion models and prospective models can apply online.
Creative Artists Agency represents sports figures as well as models and actors throughout the world. It was founded in 1975 and places talent in projects such as video games and TV shows as well as movies and magazines.
|Read Expert Review|
|Out of Business||Read Reviews|
|Out of Business||Read 12 Reviews|