Medical Care Alert

Outstanding customer service, with a 96% Customer Satisfaction score, sets Medical Care Alert apart. The Michigan-based company offers medical alert systems for every lifestyle and budget, and is one of the only companies to offer a 30-day risk free trial, with no long term commitments. See why Medical Care Alert continues to win awards and high ratings for its life-saving service and attention to detail.

Compare Medical Alert Systems

Research top Medical Alert Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have the Home & Away Elite system with fall detection. My family and friends are all very relieved that I chose this system because I am often away from home by myself, and am now alone at home. While my history of falling includes some while away from home, the majority and the most physically damaging have occurred at home and during the night. I have Narcolepsy (including sleep-walking), Sleep Apnea and other medical conditions that can increase the likelihood of falling. Add my elderly age of 74, a "bad" knee and "bad" ankle. Stumbling has become part of my "normal" routine.

It can be challenging to find four reasonably "safe" hours to charge the pendant. I wish I could have the wrist band to use when at home during the day, while the pendant is charging, then wear the pendant the rest of the 24 hours. (I found the lanyard too uncomfortable to use. Instead, I use the belt clip to fasten it to the front center of my nightgown, and to my bra the rest of the time.) All-in-all I feel more comfortable and confident to have the pendant with fall detection. The reduction in my fear and that of friends and family is wonderful.

Thanks for your outstanding, detailed review. We're glad you like your system.

We have just added a new separate button feature to the system, so that you can have a button on while the system is charging. Our customer service team will be in touch to get this sent out to you.

We appreciate your business and thanks again for the review!

It is uncomfortable wearing around the neck. If I attach it to my jeans pocket, anytime I bump into anything it sends off a signal. If I wear it inside my bra strap it works better but I am afraid I am getting too much radiation into my body!

Can you please call our customer service team at 1-877-913-3680? We have options for you to wear the pendant so that it is more comfortable for you. Also, the device has been tested and meets applicable Specific Absorption Rate for RF energy for devices used by the general public. Use the lanyard or belt clip provided to keep the device at least 10mm distance away from either your head or body to ensure compliance with FCC RF Exposure levels. Thanks

It became necessary for my father to live alone and we were concerned for his safety -- after reading about the many medical alert systems available, we chose Medical Care Alert. I like the fact that with Medical Care Alert, the voice of the assister can be heard not only through the base unit, but also through the pendant so the wearer can also be covered while out in the yard. We've received low battery alerts from the company, greatly appreciated, and help with replacing the batteries; we've also done periodic system checks with them, which they recommend, to make sure everything is working properly.

We found out one night when my father accidentally engaged the pendant in his sleep just how well the system works in an emergency -- after three attempts by MCA to speak with my father via the base unit failed, EMTs were called, I was notified by phone; the EMTs and police entered Dad's house using the MCA lockbox; and since it was an accidental alert, by the time I arrived it was all safely over. But the response was immediate, according to plan, and showed us all just how well the system operates, and how well their personnel respond. Customer service has always been prompt and courteous both by phone and e-mail. I highly recommend Medical Care Alert.

We are so happy that your father is wearing his pendant - that's fantastic!

Please let us know if you ever need anything - our customer service team is here for you and your dad!

Thanks for the great feedback - it helps us to get better, and helps other families to make good, informed decisions!

My 94-yr old mother had her Medical Care Alert bracelet on the bedside table, and the pendant hanging from her walker. She was sound asleep and was awakened by a policeman and rescue squad in her bedroom! I called Medical Care Alert the next day and was assured that it was a button push and NOT a malfunction. My mother insists she did NOT hit the button. I had neglected to program in the Medical Care # so when I got the 800 "unknown" call at midnight, I did not answer it. So it was a comedy of errors. However, my mother now wants to cancel the system saying she doesn't trust it.

Seems like it took a little long before I got a response. After I hung up, I got a constant loud beeping. Finally pushed the red button to stop it. Called customer service. Wish there was a volume control.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Care Alert ?

Our experience was very positive. The medical professionals were extremely kind and caring with every aspect of the event. They were very supportive reminding the whole family they are here for us anytime they are needed. They were very special individuals. We were left feeling my husband would be treated very well and most importantly, with kindness. I appreciate the fast response and wonderful personnel. Thank you!!

We are so glad you got help fast when you needed it...that's the whole reason we are here!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experience...it really helps us to know how we can serve you better, and helps other families as they make their decisions.

This is my 3rd alert company. I have been singing your praises. The response time is so good. With another company, I waited 20 minutes for a response and was told that they were busy. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words...we really appreciate it!

Remember to test your button weekly, and please let customer service know if you EVER have any questions or need help!

My mom has early dementia. She chose the necklace instead of the wrist. She wears it all the time. (We weren't sure if she would.) She has set it off accidentally a couple of times. They have called and talked to her each time and made sure she was ok before hanging up. I think it's a great device.

Hi - we are so glad your mom is wearing her necklace all the time...it is so important to wear your button so it can be there when/if you need it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - we really appreciate it!

Mom was very please with the service... Thanks.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Medical Care Alert provides medical alert systems for seniors and high-risk individuals nationwide. With multiple awards from Angie's List and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, Medical Care Alert is renowned for delivering a high level of customer service through its EMT-certified agents.

• 24/7 monitoring: Medical Care Alert provides 24/7 monitoring 365 days a year through its monitoring centers in New York and California.
  • Nationwide, on-the-go coverage is available: Medical Care Alert uses the AT&T Wireless cellular network for 50 state coverage.
  • No equipment to buy: Customers receive free, hospital-grade Bosch medical alert equipment.
  • No long-term contracts: There are no long-term commitments and customers can cancel their subscription at any time.
  • No activation or installation fees: Medical Care Alert requires no activation or installation fees for their monthly, quarterly or annual pricing options.
  • Price guarantee: Medical Care Alert allows customers to lock-in the cost of their medical alert subscription and avoid future price increases.
  • 30-day risk free trial: Customers can try the system for 30 days and if, for any reason, they are not satisfied, they can return it within the trial period for a free refund.
  • Best for Seniors who live alone or are left alone for prolonged periods, persons with medical conditions that could potentially become life-threatening, persons with limited mobility and caregivers requiring peace of mind.

Question and Answers - Medical Care Alert

Bryan Stapp
President

What problem is Medical Care Alert trying to solve?

For families who worry about elderly family members living alone, Medical Care Alert provides a life-saving monitoring service to summon help at the push of a button. Studies show that 1/3 of adults over 65 will fall in their own homes each year, and falls are the leading cause of death among senior citizens. A medical alert button allows the wearer to get help immediately, providing peace of mind and independence for all family members.

What sets Medical Care Alert apart from the competition?

Medical Care Alert has three distinct advantages over other companies in our field. First is that we have award-winning customer service, 96 percent of our clients say they would recommend us to friends and family. Second is that we have USA based, EMT-certified operators to answer the call for help, they know how to work with seniors and with emergency dispatchers. Third is that our choice of systems can fit every lifestyle, including mobile systems with GPS, fall detection and cellular based systems. We are also one of the ONLY companies to offer a 30-day risk free trial.

What needs does your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Most senior citizens want to live independently in their own homes as they age. Assisted living and nursing home facilities are expensive and diminish the quality of life. But many seniors and their care-giving family members are afraid of what might happen in an emergency like a fall, intruder or any other health emergency. A medical alert button allows the wearer to summon help at the press of a button. They can press the button for any reason: a fall, break in, fire, stuck in a chair or any other situation. Our customers tell us that compared to our competition our systems are easier to set up and use, and that our Customer Service is far more friendly and responsive.

How does Medical Care Alert measure success?

Medical Care Alert measures success through the eyes of our customers. We constantly monitor feedback from our customers through surveys and third party review sites like ConsumerAffairs and Angie's List. Angie's List readers have consistently given us their highest "A" rating, and we have won their "Super Service Award" three years in a row. In our annual survey of all customers, 96% have said they would refer us to friends and family. Using the NPS Customer Satisfaction methodology, our customer satisfaction ranks favorably with USAA, Costco, Nordstrom and Apple.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

The biggest misconception folks have is that their regular phone or their cell phone is sufficient in an emergency. It's not. Here is why. First, you don't wear it. The medical button must be on your person and available to signal for help in an emergency. If the cell phone is not on your person and easily accessed, you can't make the call. We have had folks say the phone was just inches away from their mom when she fell and laid on the floor for hours. Second, it's hard to do. In an emergency, will your loved one really have the presence of mind to open a phone, dial 911 (using small keys on the keypad), raise it to their mouth and be able to give their name, location and condition? Third, cell phones need to be charged. Will your loved one have it charged and on them, accessible during an emergency? What about at night while they are sleeping and have an emergency? Medical alert buttons are always on and have batteries that last three years. Fourth, 911 won't know who or where you are. Cell phones do not provide your name or location, the cell phone will provide 911 the location of the nearest cellular tower, and possibly GPS coordinates within 300 meters of your location. Fifth, 911 is not always local. Some municipalities route 911 calls to a county or other authority. This can add time to getting help when you need it most. As part of our medical alert service, we verify in advance which services dispatch to your exact address, saving important time in an emergency.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Over the past few years we have seen big advances in mobile technology, and in automatic fall detection. The old Fall Detection buttons used to trigger a lot of false alarms. They were nothing more than "Man Down" buttons that could detect a drop, but couldn't tell the difference between a drop and a fall. Today's systems use multiple sensors, and compare the fall pattern to a database of ten's of thousands of actual falls, virtually eliminating false alarms. Mobile medical alert systems with GPS are enabling seniors to travel, work, golf and in general just go about their business. This has opened up the service to younger seniors wanting protection, and allowing older seniors to feel comfortable leaving their homes.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Medical Care Alert?

I'd like every person looking for a system to know how much our company truly cares about our customers, and we focus on so many "little things" that make their lives easier. We have aging parents too, and we want our clients to have a really great experience our company and our service.

Has Medical Care Alert received any awards or recognition for its products or services?

We have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, and have won the Angie's List "Super Service Award" for outstanding customer service the past three years in a row.

How has Medical Care Alert grown or evolved?

We recently expanded our home office headquarters in Michigan to accommodate our growth, and added a second monitoring center in California. We've embraced several new technologies (including GPS tracking and automatic fall detection) to give our customers more options.

Compare Medical Alert Systems