4.77/5
Based on 288 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Rocket Lawyer

Rocket Lawyer provides affordable legal needs and advice for individuals and businesses. Their qualified attorneys and secure portal make it easy to create customized documents with step-by-step instruction, ask for advice, research and collaborate. Rocket Lawyer has helped over 20 million people access legal services free from expensive fees with discounted representation.

A+BBB Rating
    Read More Read More
    Last updated: March 29, 2018

298 Rocket Lawyer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 29, 2018

I purchased a Power of Attorney document for my elderly mother. When I took it to her bank so I could be added to her account to help with her finances, Bank of America wouldn’t accept it because there was no declaration language on the witness signature page. This should have been an easy fix for Rocket Lawyer, but they refused to fix the flawed document since I had made a one time purchase and not a membership. I thought I was purchasing a complete and legally sufficient document. Instead Rocket Lawyer sold me a document that did not meet minimum requirements under state law. They did not stand behind their product.

Hi Dana,

We first want to apologize for this situation, and we are more than happy to work with you in getting this resolved to the best of our ability. We have sent you a private message on Consumer Affairs, please respond accordingly so we can assist you with this matter. Thanks so much for your feedback and again, we're very sorry for this situation.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 21, 2018

Rough draft needs tweaking. Needed to go back and change a few things and add a name. Could not figure out how to do that without having to start a new document for a new fee. The amend process did not allow for what I was trying to do.

Hi Robert,

We're sorry to hear about your experience and would like to make things right. We've sent you a direct message here on Consumer Affairs to get some information from you, so we can locate your account and come to a resolution. We look forward to hearing from you and again, we're sorry for this matter.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 17, 2018

Binding legal forms at my disposal. I have already recommended this to friends when searching for forms to submit. I simply looked up the type of form needed, printed it out and later had it notarized. It provided me with the legal and binding paperwork needed for my situation. Thank you Rocket Lawyer.

Hey Robyn,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and we're pleased to know that our product was able to help you out! Feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We needed a quick and simple Service Contract. I was planning on typing one myself by compiling info from a web search. Rocket Lawyer came up and it seemed easy to use. It was. We got an awesome easy to read straightforward contract that was comprehensive & quick to customize.

Hey Leslie,

We greatly appreciate your review and we're so glad that you've enjoyed our product! Please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Using Rocket Lawyer for doing property transfer that is a simple one, (no liens, or mortgage) will save buyer/seller $1000's of dollars on this type transaction!! Do the form, print it, go to your local notary with photo ID's for both parties, have him verify/stamps the forms, then take all this paperwork to the courthouse recorder of deeds and the new owner will have a new deed within a week!! Done deal, it is that simple, no expensive lawyer fees!!

Hi Mark,

We're so glad that our services were able to assist you and we hope that you'll return in the future if you ever need us again! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks, Mark!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Lawyer?

Original review: March 16, 2018

I didn't really need the service. It was easy to cancel thanks, I found the process to use easy and was quick to find on the web so I could use the service right away. It was ironclad to be specific and procession and legal so that made it an easy choice.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and we greatly appreciate it! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Thank you for the most practical service. Need it when one is in need of legal documents. It was easy to download, very easy to edit and twice as easy to copy it. I appreciate wholeheartedly for the great service Rocket Lawyer's website provides.

Hi Mary,

We want to thank you for leaving us a review and we're so glad that you've enjoyed what we have to offer here at Rocket Lawyer! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was just sent a bill from the state for $520 for a 2017 Certificate of Annual Registration, even though the business did not start until 2018. Here's the full story: I wanted to start a business in PA beginning 1/1/2018. Once you apply to have the LLC formed, then you are able to apply for a TIN, insurance, etc. So on 12/21/2017, I filled out all requested info on the Rocket Lawyer site to start the LLC and was never asked when the start date of the business would be. I even rechecked today on the RL website and that question is never asked!

Apparently, that question IS asked on Question 4 of the State Certificate of Organization Form DSCB-15-8821 which RL fills out, and RL checked off a box that started the company immediately, not the other box which could have started the company on 1/1/2018 but never asked me! I did not expect RL to provide legal advice, but I did not expect them to NOT ask me a question on a form that they must fill out. Especially since it was 10 days before the end of the year! I will have this fee annually, but obviously, I should not have it for 2017. After hours on the phone, I have learned there is no process for reversing this fee with the Department of State, the Dept. of Revenue, etc. which RL had directed me to do.

Rocket Lawyer claims that, even though the process is usually completed online, it was MY responsibility to CALL to let them know the start date! But that is precisely why I used them, to make it easier to fill out all the forms, etc. I did not know there was a place on the form to provide that information, or that it mattered if it was not asked. Other questions arose where I spoke to a RL representative, but this topic never came up because I did not know it was even an issue! RL refuses to be held accountable because the taped calls never brought up the start date of the company!

This obviously is not the first time dealing with this problem, but their response appears to embody the legal fear of once you agree to be held responsible, others will expect the same thing, so don't ever admit fault. RL works with all states, each of which have different forms, and I am sure PA is not the only one to ask for the start date of the company. Once I had indicated the state at the beginning of the process, I put my trust in RL that they would ask me all pertinent questions to be able to fill out the form for me. What a mistake!

They are trying to put the onus on ME for their ASSUMING the answer to a question asked on a form. After they flatly refused to acknowledge any responsibility three times (I kept hearing a monotone voice say, "I understand your frustration, but there is nothing we can do."), I called RL back to propose that they pay half of the fee, even though I truly believe they are fully responsible. After the typical "they are in a meeting and cannot speak with you", they jumped on this offer, but only if I were to write them a letter stating my offer, as if that means I am somehow accepting responsibility and this is the last they will hear from me.

So although they are paying only half, I think it would have been a wiser business decision, as well as ethical decision, for RL to have paid the entire thing and then fix the website to actually ask the question. A mere $260 more would have generated positive feelings, and saved me all the time it took to challenge this. Apparently this narrow thinking attitude is in line with the meager $12/hour paid to many of their employees. Next time I will try Legal Zoom, which immediately asks when the company will be formed!

Hello Anita,

We greatly apologize for the misunderstanding regarding this matter and have fully refunded all charges, in hopes of rectifying your less than ideal customer experience that we strive to provide customers with as much as we're able to. We will take your feedback and do our best to improve.Thank you for being a Rocket Lawyer customer and best of luck to your new business in the coming years.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Will and My Affidavit of Small Estate - Easy enough to fill out. Appreciate the checklist. Just found out my husband did not make anyone a beneficiary on two checking accounts he had that totaled $2000. Did some calling and it was going to cost almost a fourth of that to hire a lawyer to handle this for me. I will know how good this is after I get it notarized and file it.

Hey Judi,

We just wanted to thank you for leaving us a review and we appreciate it! If you need any assistance, please email us at customerouteach@rocketlawyer.com or give us a call at 877-881-0947 (M-F, 6am-6pm PT).

Original review: March 7, 2018

Had to get a receipt from some manual labor done at my home and this was the solution, Thanks! I will definitely use Rocket Lawyer again for all other needs. I would recommend this and every service they offer to everyone!

Hi Marco,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about us and we hope that you'll come back if you ever need our services in the future! Please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks!

Original review: March 7, 2018

The representative that assisted me was very concise and informative. He was very knowledgeable and explained things very well. He also walked me through some steps of navigating the web page. Very professional.This is my first time utilizing this service and so far I have been well pleased. If in the future I need legal assistance I will utilize this service.

Hi Reginald,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We work hard to make our customers feel satisfied with our products/services and we're happy to see that you feel you were in good hands. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help by emailing us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again, Reginald!

Original review: March 6, 2018

This was a very easy experience and while there were some concerns with the format once you are able to fully modify the document without the questionnaire, it alleviates all of those issues. I will definitely be a customer that uses this product again, just not right now as it is not cost effective for my business.

Hi Keith,

We're glad that you've enjoyed our service and we greatly appreciate your review! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please don't hesitate to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com for assistance. Thanks!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Documents were easy to access, payment with PayPal was not so easy. Did not need the documents after all, so canceled my free trial yesterday. Overall a good experience. Will certainly consider using again if I need legal documents in the future.

Hey Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we're glad that you've enjoyed our service, but we're sorry that there were issues via Paypal. If you have any questions or concerns, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again, Linda.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I needed help doing some forms... like a letter of resignation, which I did receive. Paid the $20.00... Was hoping to get assistance on a resume, but not sure what the money I paid for covered?? Sent one email but have had no response. Would really appreciate clarification.

Hey Penny,

We're so sorry for any confusion, but one of our representatives has reached out to you in hopes of clarifying anything that you need help with. Please respond to the email, or feel free to give our customer service a call for immediate assistance at 877-881-0947 (M-F, 6AM-6PM).

Original review: March 2, 2018

I need to download a document and it was very easy and informative as well. Also the electronic signature made my life a lot easier. Good experience. If you need a quick assistant finding legal documents etc please give them a try. I recommend. Thank you!

Hi Helmus,

Thanks for sharing your experience and we're pleased to know that your experience with us was such a positive one! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Rocket provided me with information during my trial and they communicated with me and allowed me to cancel my trial for the fact that I discovered but I did not need the documents. I will definitely use them if I need any legal documents going forward.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for leaving us a review and we're delighted to know that you've enjoyed your experience with us! If you have general questions or concerns at this time, please feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Very useful! The Rocket Lawyer tool just asked some key questions that allowed the basic details to be filled in (similar to TurboTax). Then the product provided the boilerplate language for a basic contract. And the contract was editable if advanced language is needed. Then it allows for printing in Word or PDF Format! Or it can be signed online.

Hey Rick,

We're pleased to hear that your experience with our product was such a positive one and we appreciate your feedback! Please feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I needed a one time rental agreement. Rocket Lawyer provided exactly what I needed. It was very convenient and easy to complete. I took advantage of the free trial period so it did not cost me anything. Thanks Rocket Lawyer Very Much.

Rocket Lawyer response

We greatly appreciate you sharing your experience and we're so glad that you've enjoyed our service! Please feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns. Thanks!

Original review: March 1, 2018

The site was easy to use and I had a Bill of Sale created in minutes. Would be nice if you could try the service out without adding a credit card. I will definitely use this service again and would be willing to pay if I had legal questions.

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we're really glad that you've enjoyed our product. We do require card information to being the 7-Day Free Trial, but so long as the membership is cancelled within the Trial period, there is charge whatsoever. If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I made a will with you in 2013. Things change so I made a new one in Feb 2018. I have told a bunch of people about this site. Because you have more than just wills. POA, and bill of sale. People are very interested.

Hey Linda,

Thanks for spreading the word regarding Rocket Lawyer and we sincerely appreciate you sharing your experience with us! Feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns. Thanks again, Linda!

Original review: March 1, 2018

Although I needed an Annulment document, the divorce document was good information. I would need to go to a real lawyer to get what I needed. But I learned a lot from your site so thank you for the trial membership. If there is anything else I need to do to cancel, please let me know. I went through the recommended procedure on this site to cancel.

Hey Deborah,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate it! We checked on the status of your account, and it looks like it has been successfully downgraded (cancelled) already. A downgrade confirmation email has been sent just for you to keep for your records, but please feel free to respond to it with any questions or concerns. Thanks again for your review, Deborah!

Original review: March 1, 2018

It took awhile to figure out what I needed. It was easy to follow and was helpful as this is my first-ever business adventure. I was not aware of even how to start let alone what to include in the agreement. Was very surprised it was so easy. Thank you for being there.

Hey Nancy,

We greatly appreciate your review and we're so glad that you've enjoyed our service! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I am 88 years old, and needed a form to give my son control over my finances and physical space without being responsible for my debts. Your durable Power of Attorney and the questions to personalize it will do that. I am grateful for the help and have already recommended you to others. My son promised he would not sell all my furniture while I was off shopping.

Hey Diane,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and we're so glad that you've enjoyed our product! If you have general questions or concerns at this time, please feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again, Diane.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

The last will and testament document was just as it should be. I am very satisfied. Thanks. If I ever need help again I will call on you again. If anyone I know needs help I will recommend you. Thank you again.

Hey Archie,

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and we're pleased to know that you've enjoyed our product! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks, Archie!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Should have a place for tenants full address. When asking for payment schedule ie: annual, semi annual it should come up with the scenario automatically that you choose such as 200 on the date then 200 on a date. Otherwise happy with it. Please cancel free offer and all others as of today. Requested already in print.

Hi Deborah,

We greatly appreciate your feedback and our records indicate that your Rocket Lawyer Free Trial membership was already downgraded (cancelled), but we've sent you a confirmation email to keep for your records! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please feel free to respond to that email. Thanks, Deborah!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Able to find the correct contract need for my service. Used template for independent contractor. Thoroughly guided me through important questions, consideration, timing and duration. Able to make adjustments as needed. Directions and Guidance made it understandable. Will use it again when needed.

Hi Charles,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're so glad that your experience with our product was such a positive one! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks, Charles!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Had a great experience filling out and purchasing my parenting plan. I will use this site again if I need additional forms filled out. I was pleased with the ease of the pages and the cost of the forms. I will recommend this site to anyone who is going through court.

Hi Katy,

We're pleased to know that you've enjoyed your experience with our product and we hope that you'll return in the future if you ever need our services again! Feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My experience was great while it lasted. I wish I could afford the membership so I can continue my service with you guys. I will be back... I enjoy how you guys made everything with simplicity and to the point. I wanted to say thank you again, for your service.

Hi Kerry,

We greatly appreciate you sharing your experience and thanks for trying out our service! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com for assistance. Thanks, Kerry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Samples and Formats available gave me answers to questions I could not have found without paying outrageous legal fees. I am heading up a very small operation and want to stay legal without going bankrupt! Thank you so much for this service on the web!!

Hi Judy,

We're so glad to know that our services were able to assist you with your legal needs and we sincerely appreciate your review! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I found your website easy to use and the document easy to produce. I also appreciated being able to store and retrieve it until I was satisfied with it being complete and correctly filled out. An attorney reviewed for me and said it was ready to file.

Hi Zane,

We appreciate your review and we're pleased to know that you've enjoyed your experience with us! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Rocket Lawyer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Online platform Rocket Lawyer helps consumers create legal documents and/or find an attorney. Consumers can sign up for a monthly membership or purchase some services on an a la carte basis. The company was founded in 2008, is headquartered in California and has technical and financial backing from tech giants like Google.

• Free trial: Interested consumers can sign up for a free one-week trial. They can use the services during that week and then cancel if the service does not meet their needs.

• Legal documents: Both members and non-members can create a wide variety of legal documents on the Rocket Lawyer website. Members receive these documents for free, and non-members can purchase them for a small free. All documents are specifically designed for the consumer’s state of residence.

• Consumer education: All consumers can access the Legal Help and Information section of Rocket Lawyer’s website for free. The articles on this section of the website provide detailed yet easy to understand information on topics like estate planning, divorce and debt collection, just to name a few.

• Online legal assistance: Members with legal questions can ask a questions on the company’s website and then be matched with a Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney who will quickly answer their question.

• Discounted rates: Members with more complicated questions that cannot be answered online can work with a designated Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney for 40 percent less than their standard hourly rate or 10 percent off a flat fee service.

• Best for: Rocket Lawyer is best for those looking for a quick and convenient way to create binding legal documents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs