Rocket Lawyer

Compare Legal Services

Research top Legal Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Rocket Lawyer preys on those who aren't careful. I was making a "free" really basic form, when I went to print they demanded a credit card and 10 day free trial. The form generator was messed up and took a lot longer than it should have, so I was running late and didn't have time to retype the whole form, so I did the trial. I didn't need the service and I was leaving town for a week so I immediately did the online downgrade to a free membership. The "downgrade" didn't go through. I never got the confirmation email, so I can't prove I did it. I can't prove I used the downgrade function, but I did. I didn't notice the first bank charge so they charged me twice before I caught it.

It gets worse. About 3 years ago I used a legal form service, to research some documents for a business that fell through. I didn't remember the name, but I did remember being frustrated that they charged me for months after I cancelled online. I blamed myself last time. I thought maybe I screwed up the cancel 3 years ago. When I called today to complain and make sure I was "downgraded", I discovered that Rocket Lawyer was the same company that charged me after I cancelled last time. So they did it twice! There is some shady stuff happening. They stole a lot of money from me.

Rocket Lawyer doesn't allow you to enter more than 500 letters (not words, letters!) in your question to them. This limits the information that an attorney has available, which automatically sets you and the attorney that answers your question up for failure. When you get your response back from attorney, and you can clearly see that they don't have enough information to correctly respond, you can follow up with another question. Unfortunately, there is a 500 LETTER limit to your response. GRRR! I will not be using this service again because of their idiotic 500 letter limit.

The information about the "free" 1 week trial probably escapes many people seeking temporary legal help. Once you sign-up for a "free" trial and enter your credit card. If you do not cancel, then you will pay forever. The idea of a receipt for your billing does not exist so you will not be informed that your account is being charged. You have a lot of items on you credit card, it is easy to miss. The value of Rocket Lawyer for the money spent is close to zero.

The customer service was great, no worries. They were friendly and helpful, answer all my questions in a timely manner, and helped me resolve all my issues. This service was very reliable and I would be more then happy to recommend this service anytime and use it again if I needed. It was definitely worth what I paid. Thank you.

Agents were very thorough and efficiently walked me through your the process. I was very pleased with the results and have lower payments now. Speed was fine, but quality didn't match. I was debating between this and Legal Zoom and I wish I would have gone with Legal Zoom, but this was slightly cheaper. Didn't seem that reliable to me, based on my experience. The service I received definitely failed to meet my expectations and when I called in about it, I was treated poorly. The service is cheap for a reason. I selected it because of the cost, but I had never heard of this company, so was a little weary on it. I wish I had trusted my gut and went with a more reputable service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Lawyer?

They are a very competent and reliable organization that ensure customers needs are met in a timely and efficient manner. The overall customer service experience is well worth the money. With regards to speed, I think that they are very effective in the sense that they make sure your needs/wants are being addressed carefully and in a timely manner. I think the company is very reliable as they seek their best to be transparent in all aspects of the business. They are also very competent and dependable most if not all the time. The value you receive for their service is well worth it compare to other business in the same field. They ensure that you get your full money worth in all aspects.

Well I enjoy talking to them. They are very nice and very courteous, not disrespectful at all, not mean or rude, very helpful and gives lots of information, and I would highly recommend. Very fast. I would tell all my friends. They are very understanding. They are not rude, very nice and they do good things to help people. They are very reliable. They do all they can to get the help you need. Makes sure you are satisfied with the service. They are not rude and makes very good decisions. They are very much valuable. Give you good information and they make sure you are very satisfied and don't make decisions without letting you know.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Online platform Rocket Lawyer helps consumers create legal documents and/or find an attorney. Consumers can sign up for a monthly membership or purchase some services on an a la carte basis. The company was founded in 2008, is headquartered in California and has technical and financial backing from tech giants like Google.

• Free trial: Interested consumers can sign up for a free one-week trial. They can use the services during that week and then cancel if the service does not meet their needs.
  • Legal documents: Both members and non-members can create a wide variety of legal documents on the Rocket Lawyer website. Members receive these documents for free, and non-members can purchase them for a small free. All documents are specifically designed for the consumer’s state of residence.
  • Consumer education: All consumers can access the Legal Help and Information section of Rocket Lawyer’s website for free. The articles on this section of the website provide detailed yet easy to understand information on topics like estate planning, divorce and debt collection, just to name a few.
  • Online legal assistance: Members with legal questions can ask a questions on the company’s website and then be matched with a Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney who will quickly answer their question.
  • Discounted rates: Members with more complicated questions that cannot be answered online can work with a designated Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney for 40 percent less than their standard hourly rate or 10 percent off a flat fee service.
  • Best for Rocket Lawyer is best for those looking for a quick and convenient way to create binding legal documents.

Compare Legal Services