3.16/5
  • 1 star
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 8, 2017

19 Rocket Lawyer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My credit card was charged three times in Sept, Oct and Nov with $39.99 fee per month without having bought anything from them or given any authorization to charge my account. I called them and Roxanne told me that my card was charged because they had the right card information and my right e-mail address and that I must have bought smth from them. I asked her why I was never informed via e-mail since they had my e-mail address about the purchase but she said it was not their business to do so and I had to dispute the transactions with the bank, which I did. This is a fraudulent company, fraudulently micro charging people. Hoping charges go under the radar. Undetected by its victims. I hope someone sues them and bans their fraudulent practices. Thieves!

Hi Sefer,

We're so sorry about your experience with us and usually we are able to refund our customers, but in this situation that couldn't be done due to the dispute having already been opened with your financial institution. We take great pride in our product and our ability to help our customers and if there's anything that we can do to better your experience at this time, please let us know. Feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2017

I would like to say that after receiving my review rocket lawyer was very swift in resolving my complaint. They refunded the fees I was charged and downgraded my membership to a free trial. I would definitely recommend them to others and hope to use them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I signed up for the 7 day free trial but here I am on day 6 unable to cancel my subscription, when I called to cancel I was transferred to the lawyer who handled my paperwork only to be told that I owe $149 and that there was a flat fee of $100 for the registered agent, neither of which was discussed upfront. Even though the lawyer was nice and completed my paperwork in a timely fashion I now feel like I owe him which is not what I signed up for. I would like to start a business and believed that I would use Rocket Lawyer more throughout the process of getting started. But now that I know the game I would rather not play. I wish all fees were discussed clearly from the beginning, a free 7 day trial should be just that.

Hi Sherry,

I'm so sorry about your experience and I'd like to see what I'm able to do to better it. I've sent you a private response, please respond to it when you're able to. Thank you and again, I apologize for this situation.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I check my account today 10/11/2017 @2:15 PM. I was charge $39.95 by Rocket Lawyer. I call to ask why I was charge on a free site for a month go run, she told me that it is not free on day 7. You are enroll without you knowing. Please stop this website from stealing from people looking for free documents.

Hey Samuel,

I greatly apologize for this and we've sent you a private message in hopes of getting this resolved. We'd be more than happy to improve your experience with us.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

When reviewing my bank account, I found Rocket Lawyer has been charging me monthly for the past 5 months. I went on the "free legal documents" section to review what should be in a rent to buy contract. Now I find they are charging me! Shady deal for sure!

Hey Nancy,

We apologize greatly for this situation and we have sent you a private message to get this matter resolved for you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Rocket Lawyer gives very fast and precise information, solved my questions and a fast and efficient means. I also like the flexibility of the whole program in itself. Being able to choose between calling or emailing was a great feature for me. I used phone although I would assume emailing is even simpler. The process was extremely simple. They also had plenty of information on the site alone! The only thing I disliked was how I didn't know about this service through ads. I had to search for a service directly to stumble across it when I needed assistance in the first place. Besides that everything was great. I would recommend this to any of my friends or family that needed legal advice.

Hey Jack,

Thank you for your review and we're so glad to know that you enjoy the services that we have to offer here at Rocket Lawyer. If you have any questions or concerns at this time, feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Lawyer?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I signed up for the free trial and I have been getting charged this entire time! It's been months. I have several emails stating they'd respond in 1-2 business days and they never did! This is a scam and I don't appreciate that they are supposed to be offering legal advice but they go about tricking us into signing up and continue to charge us even when we cancel the membership. This is not okay!

Hello Amy,

We are so sorry to hear that you've had this kind of experience with us. We have sent you a private message to get this resolved for you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

They took care of my problem with ease and it did not cost much. And they did a great job keeping me inform about everything. I like that I could talk to them whenever I needed to. I wrote and told them what I had going on. They sent me an appointment to talk to them on the phone and then they had me to send them my stuff. And then someone call me and talk to me about it and they help me from start to finish with it. But I wish I could have talk to them on the phone more. I had to stop and slow down and read it good so that I did not miss anything.

Hi Jerome,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Rocket Lawyer's website is very easy to use. It is easy to determine which form is the right one for the state you need and to properly fill out the real estate forms for the layman so it would be approved by the proper government agencies. It was pretty straight forward in the procedures. It was good that the initial 7-day price was free. However the subscription price was a little high.

Hey Paul,

Thanks so much for your review, we greatly appreciate it. Feel free to contact our sales department by phone if you would like to know about any promotions that we have going on for memberships. You can call our direct line at 877-881-0947 (M-F, 6am-6pm PT). If you need any further assistance, please email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Rocket Lawyer's online facilities are informative and 'do the job'. Good support is provided. Not for complex legal matters but their simple bill of sale, deeds, non-compete, etc. are affordable and work well for us. This site is too much trustworthy. You can easily sign up and manage it. We can use trial version and can buy easily after that. Trial version is very good to use. It take some time to understand it but you get a good understanding of it when finish the trial version.

Hello Vino,

We greatly appreciate the review and are happy to know that you've had such a wonderful experience with us! If you need anything else from us at this time, feel free to email customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I like the legal service Rocket Lawyer because it helps me get the information that I need to be smart in my legal cases in order to be successful winning them and learning the legal business more for me and my family. I just love this site and its services and how it works for people in need for help for the legal information that they need. It is a very simple service to use and it only took me about a week to accomplish what I needed to do with this great service and to take care any legal matters.

Hello Michael,

Thanks so much for your review, we appreciate it! If you need anything else at this time, please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I liked the ability to return to the site and make any necessary changes. Fill in the blanks makes it easy for anyone to complete. Simplicity brought me back for other legal documents. I completed the documents in less than an hour. It would have taken me longer on my own. Also, keeping the documents stored for future use helped in finding my documents. Instructions were informative and to the point. It covers laws across the country, not just locally. But it would be nice to have the ability to chose between different programs so they can interact with more devices. PDF files are fine though I tend to use Office on a regular basis.

Hey Dean,

We really appreciate your review and are so glad that your document worked out for what you needed! If you need anything else from us, feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Rocket Lawyer is a great and easy to use site to create a legal document, you can also find a lawyer and ask questions. They are very useful. You basically create an account and you select one of the service you want to use. It's very intuitive and easy to learn. But their legal advice isn't really as in-depth and it's not the same as having a lawyer.

Hey John,

Thanks so much for your review. We are happy to know that your experience with us was such a positive one! If you have any questions or concerns, you can email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Rocket Lawyer preys on those who aren't careful. I was making a "free" really basic form, when I went to print they demanded a credit card and 10 day free trial. The form generator was messed up and took a lot longer than it should have, so I was running late and didn't have time to retype the whole form, so I did the trial. I didn't need the service and I was leaving town for a week so I immediately did the online downgrade to a free membership. The "downgrade" didn't go through. I never got the confirmation email, so I can't prove I did it. I can't prove I used the downgrade function, but I did. I didn't notice the first bank charge so they charged me twice before I caught it.

It gets worse. About 3 years ago I used a legal form service, to research some documents for a business that fell through. I didn't remember the name, but I did remember being frustrated that they charged me for months after I cancelled online. I blamed myself last time. I thought maybe I screwed up the cancel 3 years ago. When I called today to complain and make sure I was "downgraded", I discovered that Rocket Lawyer was the same company that charged me after I cancelled last time. So they did it twice! There is some shady stuff happening. They stole a lot of money from me.

Hey Lucinda,

We are so sorry about this, but it looks as though we've already resolved this matter. If you need anything else, feel free to respond to the direct message that we have sent you.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Rocket Lawyer doesn't allow you to enter more than 500 letters (not words, letters!) in your question to them. This limits the information that an attorney has available, which automatically sets you and the attorney that answers your question up for failure. When you get your response back from attorney, and you can clearly see that they don't have enough information to correctly respond, you can follow up with another question. Unfortunately, there is a 500 LETTER limit to your response. GRRR! I will not be using this service again because of their idiotic 500 letter limit.

Hi Mike,

We apologize for this matter, but it looks as though we were able to get this resolved for you. If you need any further assistance, you're more than welcome to respond to the direct message that we have sent you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

The information about the "free" 1 week trial probably escapes many people seeking temporary legal help. Once you sign-up for a "free" trial and enter your credit card. If you do not cancel, then you will pay forever. The idea of a receipt for your billing does not exist so you will not be informed that your account is being charged. You have a lot of items on you credit card, it is easy to miss. The value of Rocket Lawyer for the money spent is close to zero.

Hey Richard,

We're very sorry to hear about this situation and would like to better your experience. Please respond to the direct message that we've sent, so that we can get this matter taken care of for you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

The customer service was great, no worries. They were friendly and helpful, answer all my questions in a timely manner, and helped me resolve all my issues. This service was very reliable and I would be more then happy to recommend this service anytime and use it again if I needed. It was definitely worth what I paid. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Agents were very thorough and efficiently walked me through your the process. I was very pleased with the results and have lower payments now. Speed was fine, but quality didn't match. I was debating between this and Legal Zoom and I wish I would have gone with Legal Zoom, but this was slightly cheaper. Didn't seem that reliable to me, based on my experience. The service I received definitely failed to meet my expectations and when I called in about it, I was treated poorly. The service is cheap for a reason. I selected it because of the cost, but I had never heard of this company, so was a little weary on it. I wish I had trusted my gut and went with a more reputable service.

Hi Greg,

We apologize that you've had this kind of experience with us. We have sent you a direct message to get this matter resolved for you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

They are a very competent and reliable organization that ensure customers needs are met in a timely and efficient manner. The overall customer service experience is well worth the money. With regards to speed, I think that they are very effective in the sense that they make sure your needs/wants are being addressed carefully and in a timely manner. I think the company is very reliable as they seek their best to be transparent in all aspects of the business. They are also very competent and dependable most if not all the time. The value you receive for their service is well worth it compare to other business in the same field. They ensure that you get your full money worth in all aspects.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Well I enjoy talking to them. They are very nice and very courteous, not disrespectful at all, not mean or rude, very helpful and gives lots of information, and I would highly recommend. Very fast. I would tell all my friends. They are very understanding. They are not rude, very nice and they do good things to help people. They are very reliable. They do all they can to get the help you need. Makes sure you are satisfied with the service. They are not rude and makes very good decisions. They are very much valuable. Give you good information and they make sure you are very satisfied and don't make decisions without letting you know.

Rocket Lawyer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Online platform Rocket Lawyer helps consumers create legal documents and/or find an attorney. Consumers can sign up for a monthly membership or purchase some services on an a la carte basis. The company was founded in 2008, is headquartered in California and has technical and financial backing from tech giants like Google.

• Free trial: Interested consumers can sign up for a free one-week trial. They can use the services during that week and then cancel if the service does not meet their needs.

• Legal documents: Both members and non-members can create a wide variety of legal documents on the Rocket Lawyer website. Members receive these documents for free, and non-members can purchase them for a small free. All documents are specifically designed for the consumer’s state of residence.

• Consumer education: All consumers can access the Legal Help and Information section of Rocket Lawyer’s website for free. The articles on this section of the website provide detailed yet easy to understand information on topics like estate planning, divorce and debt collection, just to name a few.

• Online legal assistance: Members with legal questions can ask a questions on the company’s website and then be matched with a Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney who will quickly answer their question.

• Discounted rates: Members with more complicated questions that cannot be answered online can work with a designated Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney for 40 percent less than their standard hourly rate or 10 percent off a flat fee service.

• Best for: Rocket Lawyer is best for those looking for a quick and convenient way to create binding legal documents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs