4.41/5

Get matched with a recommended legal service provider now

Rocket Lawyer

Rocket Lawyer provides affordable legal needs and advice for individuals and businesses. Their qualified attorneys and secure portal make it easy to create customized documents with step-by-step instruction, ask for advice, research and collaborate. Rocket Lawyer has helped over 20 million people access legal services free from expensive fees with discounted representation.

318 Rocket Lawyer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I used the 'free' lease agreement. I entered my card information because I was assured of the ability to cancel my free account with no charges. I cancelled the account. All of the sudden I have three months worth of charges on my credit card (that all showed up at once). My bank has filed a dispute on my behalf. This post will serve as dated, written proof that I do not authorize Rocket Lawyer nor any of their affiliates to charge my account. Do not use this service.

Hi Renee,

We appreciate your feedback and we're so sorry to hear about this situation! We've sent you a direct message in order to get some more account information from you, so that we can look into this. We hope to hear back from you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

In December of 2017, just three months after my former spouse's serial infidelity was brought to light, I began preparing separation and divorce paperwork for a pro se divorce. I found the program to be easy to work with, easy to edit, easy to understand. Because my former spouse hesitated to sign in December, I remembered to cancel the service before the end of my seven day trial (which was easy, painless and CLEARLY EXPLAINED on the site).

Several months later, (March 2018) I had no problem accessing/retrieving my completed document and optioning for a paid membership, (which again was easy and painless) when all was said and done, I had a beautiful document that I was able to submit to the Court which was accepted and incorporated by order of the Court into the County/Court documents. I was able to export into Word and add specific language when necessary and print at will. I am now divorced, no attorney necessary. I believe if you have at least a high school diploma, you should be able to follow the prompts and use this service without any issues. Best of luck to all.

Hi R,

We're so glad that our services were able to assist you in your time of need and thanks so much for sharing your experience! If you have any questions or concerns, just send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks so much!

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Rocket Lawyer is horrible. At first it works great but there are a lot of glitches. Then 50% of the time you call customer service they give you attitude like you're stupid. I have a computer degree and am very experienced with different types of software. The problem is you have to call customer service for every little problem. And there are A LOT of problems. Waste of money and TIME!!!

Hi Carol,

So sorry to hear about your experience! We do our very best to provide our customers with the best customer service, so this is something that we take very seriously. We're so glad that we were able to get everything resolved with you and improved your experience with us! Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do either by emailing us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com or feel free to respond to the representatives email. Thanks so much!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I filled out a standard Rental Agreement form but was unable to download or print it so I used another online company instead. Now I've been charged a monthly fee and I can't get Rocket Lawyer on the phone so I can stop the withdrawals.

Hi Lynn,

So sorry to hear about your experience! We are closed on weekends and some major holidays, but we've sent you a private message to get some account information in order for us to be able to assist you with getting this resolved. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My guess is the good reviews are written by RL employees during their down time. I signed up for a simple automobile Bill of Sale for $4.99. A week later I was billed $40! No emails warning me or anything. RIP OFF!!!

Hey Mark,

We appreciate your feedback and very sorry to hear about your experience. We do offer a 7-Day Free Trial which does explain at the time of sign up that it will convert into a Premium Monthly Plan unless it's downgraded during the Trial. We've sent you a private message to get some account information from you so we can get this situation resolved, we hope to hear from you soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Lawyer?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I subscribed to the monthly subscription for asking questions to lawyers. In 2 months I had 2 questions. Both were handled by lawyers who offer free first time consultation. Since they publicly offer free first time consultation to any client, and receive quite a few through Rocket Lawyer, the lawyers are not motivated and overlook the consultation. They don't call, reschedule, forget, etc. Because they don't care. On our side we expect a service because we have paid. If I wanted to a free first time consultation why would I go through RL and pay a fee? Pure scam! I need the 2 months refund now. PS. I obviously canceled my subscription, but reading the reviews it looks like I should be prepared for another fight with them because apparently they will continue to charge my credit card. Wow!!!

Hey Dariush,

We greatly apologize that you've had this kind of experience with us! The way that our payment system is set up is to only bill when a membership is active, our system has no way of billing a customer when the membership is cancelled and we are truly more than happy to help out with whatever problems we're able to! We've sent you a private message to get some account information from you and hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I signed up of a free trial, a few months ago. I was looking for a template of a NDA for my new business, Rocket Lawyer do provide a very basic one. My problem with Rocket Lawyer is that the free trial became a paid membership without me knowing. I haven't logged in or used the service since I downloaded the NDA, which was months ago. However I've been charged for 3 months of paid membership. When I saw the charges in my bank account, I canceled my membership and told them it was a mistake. The customer feedback I received was quite rude, not helpful and very dismissive. Since I hadn't received an email notifying me that my account status was changed from "free" to "paid", or that my trial was about to expire, or that my "paid" membership was confirmed, it all feels very sneaky. Some sort of refund or condolence would have been sufficient.

Hi Will,

Thank you for your feedback regarding this matter, and we're so sorry that you've had this kind of experience with us! We've sent you a private message to get your account information from you in order to look into this and get this resolved as soon as possible, we hope to hear from you soon and again, we greatly apologize.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had the need to get a "quit or pay rent" form to serve some tenants. The problem is that RL's intellectual properties agreement sections 14 and 15 are specific about disallowing any copying the content of RL's forms. In other words, if I got the form from RL and signed it, I was not allowed to copy and archive the signed document. If I gave the original to the process server company, they are not allowed to copy the signed proof of delivery for their archives. Specifically page 14, the section "14. License Grant" says "you may not copy the content of Rocket Lawyer's forms or agreements for use... outside of Rocket Lawyer". So be careful if you copy and send.

Hey Jim,

We really appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for this situation. As a courtesy to you, we've refunded your document purchase, just give it 7-10 business days to process. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns by either responding to the refund issued email that you've received or you can email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I downloaded a mortgage release form in January and cancelled my account to any further activity. They have been charging me for the past 5 months and I have been unable to contact them to get resolution. I want a refund on all the charges and to have all my information removed from their system. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Hi Dale,

We appreciate your feedback and so sorry to hear about your experience! We're more than happy to help to get this resolved, please call our customer service line at your earliest convenience at 877-881-0947 (M-F, 6am-6pm PT) or respond to the private message that we've sent accordingly. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I used Rocket Lawyer once to see if they had a document I needed. I downloaded it and closed my account. Now I have been charged for the past two months. I want a refund on these charges. I am not a member nor do I want to be. I see a lot of people have this same problem.

Hello Tanya,

We're very sorry about this and we are more than happy to help! Please respond to the private message that we've sent you so we can look up your account to process those refunds.We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I downgraded my account on April 26th to the free account and TWICE since then I have been charged a membership fee. I have tried contacting them via email so I have a written record but I get either an automated response, or short email offering no proposed resolution. I have yet to receive a refund.

Hi K.H.,

We greatly apologize about this matter and we're more than happy to get this resolved as soon as possible! Please respond to the private message we've sent to your via Consumer Affairs, we hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had a very straightforward legal question that I asked. The site requires you to pay either a monthly subscription fee or a one time fee for a question. The one time fee was $49. The attorney assigned to my question responded with 4 words. Yes. No discussion or expanding on the answer. They are not allowed to give legal advice but they CAN discuss the law. This was a waste of money in my opinion and was better spent contributing to a full consult with a real Atty. Beware that you may be expecting a nice response to your question but you MAY received a curt, unhelpful response. I wonder if they are encouraged to do this to "force you" to ask a follow up question which you are charged for. Be aware. Sham (or should I say shame).

Hi Frank,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize greatly for this. The 'Ask a Lawyer' utility is more for general legal information, whereas in a membership customers are able to get unlimited consultations per legal issue. But we fully understand your frustration regarding this matter. Please respond to the private message so we can come to a resolution with you, we hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: June 20, 2018

I spent 20 minutes entering all kinds of information for my free rental lease. Rocket Lawyer did not say upfront that at the end of the process I would need to enter a credit card. They advertised that the lease was free, so I had no expectation I would need a credit card to get the lease. It was a pretty significant amount of time I spent entering all the information and it was for nothing!

Hey Heather,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and we're so sorry for this misunderstanding! We do our best to make it transparent that we offer a 7-day Free Trial for our services and we definitely do not intend to mislead our customers. Please respond to the private message that we've sent you via Consumer Affairs, we hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: June 13, 2018

On May 18 I submitted one question and was charged $49 which I agreed to. This was a one time fee to answer one question. It is now June 13th and I still have not received an answer. I have written multiple emails - most receive a response that shows the email was not read. The one person who did seem to read the email did not offer any solution. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Hi Marion,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback, but we're very sorry to hear about this situation! We've sent you a private message to get some account information from you so we can look into this and get it squared away as soon as we possibly can. We hope to hear from you and again, so sorry about this!

Original review: June 11, 2018

After much research, I decided to buy a premium membership with Rocket Lawyer. Under the section of their website that details what services you will receive for the price of your premium membership, in the frequently asked questions section, you will find the following information: "What can I do with my membership? You get free access to all of RocketLawyer's documents and legal Q&A. This means you can ask a lawyer all the questions you want."

After posing my question I wanted to know how long the response time usually is. I attempted to use the chat feature but it doesn't work, so I contacted them by phone. The first rep I spoke with seemed totally uninformed and said that I should get a response within 48 hrs then she mentioned that I am only allowed 2 questions per month, not counting any follow up questions I may have about my initial question. She informed me that although I can ask follow up questions, the attorneys may not respond after one or two questions. I ended the call and tried another rep to see if maybe I could get a more optimistic response.

The second rep, although very nice, had no idea where I was getting my information about asking unlimited questions, but after some navigating, she found the page and agreed that it was misleading and said she would bring it up to her superiors. She confirmed the 2 question limit. I asked where I could find the information about the limit on questions, and she had no idea stating that the website changes frequently and she couldn't find that information. My reasons for feeling mislead should be obvious to anyone who reads this. The rep did change my account to the free 7 day trial and refunded my purchase price. Not sure if I will use the service after the trial ends. This feels very much like an intentional "scam" to get peoples monies. So, buyer beware.

Hi Jake,

We appreciate your feedback and we're so sorry to hear about this matter! We have recently changed our policy on our Q&As and unfortunately didn't update our FAQ page, which is an error on our end. We definitely didn't intend to be misleading and will update it as soon as we are able to. In the mean time, feel free to utilize the Q&A as much as you'd like during your 7-day Free Trial as a courtesy for this situation. Feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com for help.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I needed help writing a Bill of Sale for a mobile home and had several question. Rocket Lawyer made this very easy. I simply typed in my questions and I had a reply in less than 12 hours. I included their answer in my sale document as instructed and completed the step by step format until the Bill of Sale was completed. I must admit I was a little skeptical of doing everything by email, but it worked great. I would use this service again and would recommend it to anyone needing a professional document.

Hi Gary,

So glad that you've enjoyed our product and we hope that you'll use us again in the future if you ever need services like ours again! Feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns. Thanks so much!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I used them in the past, only the first time was the lawyer attentive. The second and third time, it seems they in purpose give the minimal answer possible so you have to keep asking more questions to at least get an idea of what you need, they treat their knowledge as secret gems. They do not want to disclose unless you hand them your eyes. I paid $50 for two sentences, this guy did not have the courtesy to explain which form goes first, or if it can be done or not depending on the situation, if there are risks associated with it, absolutely nothing. Maybe I can work another 6 hours so they can use 2 minutes to answer a little bit more.

Hey Ana,

We really appreciate your feedback on this matter, but we're so sorry that you've had this kind of experience with our Attorney Services and would like to make things right! As of now, the payment you had made for the legal question has been refunded and you've been sent a confirmation email regarding this. Please let us know if we can do anything else to better your experience.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I paid 50 dollars to get a question answered. They said it was not specific enough, and tried to charge me another 50 to ask the same question since there is no way to revise your old question. Really disappointed.

Hey Alex,

We greatly apologize that you've had this kind of experience with us and we'd like to make things right. Please respond to the private message sent to you so we can refund your account. Thanks for providing us with this feedback and again, we're so sorry to hear about this!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Maybe I don't understand how this service works. I have a specific Iowa legal issue which I indicated both on the Ask a Lawyer request form, and clearly in my question. I was hoping to establish a relationship with an Iowa lawyer. However, instead, I got a response from a California lawyer who told me I needed to contact an Iowa lawyer. I mean, no kidding, Sherlock. $49.99 down the drain. Total waste of money.

Hey Maura,

Thanks so much for helping us resolve this matter and we appreciate your feedback on this! We will do our best to improve our explanation and we hope that you come back if you ever need services like ours in the future. Thanks again, Maura!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I used debit card for 1 week trial. Went to go back to it asked for debit card again. Well I look at online bank statement only to see I was charged twice in just a few weeks and I even emailed them asking them not to double bill me... WHAT A RIP OFF FOR A FEW DOCUMENTS.

Hey Marsha,

So sorry to hear about your experience! We'd like to get this resolved for you as soon as possible. One of our representatives has sent you a private message via Consumer Affairs to get some account information from you in order for us to look up your account. We look forward to hearing from you and again, we apologize for this matter!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I purchased a Power of Attorney document for my elderly mother. When I took it to her bank so I could be added to her account to help with her finances, Bank of America wouldn’t accept it because there was no declaration language on the witness signature page. This should have been an easy fix for Rocket Lawyer, but they refused to fix the flawed document since I had made a one time purchase and not a membership. I thought I was purchasing a complete and legally sufficient document. Instead Rocket Lawyer sold me a document that did not meet minimum requirements under state law. They did not stand behind their product.

Hi Dana,

We first want to apologize for this situation, and we are more than happy to work with you in getting this resolved to the best of our ability. We have sent you a private message on Consumer Affairs, please respond accordingly so we can assist you with this matter. Thanks so much for your feedback and again, we're very sorry for this situation.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Rough draft needs tweaking. Needed to go back and change a few things and add a name. Could not figure out how to do that without having to start a new document for a new fee. The amend process did not allow for what I was trying to do.

Hi Robert,

We're sorry to hear about your experience and would like to make things right. We've sent you a direct message here on Consumer Affairs to get some information from you, so we can locate your account and come to a resolution. We look forward to hearing from you and again, we're sorry for this matter.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Binding legal forms at my disposal. I have already recommended this to friends when searching for forms to submit. I simply looked up the type of form needed, printed it out and later had it notarized. It provided me with the legal and binding paperwork needed for my situation. Thank you Rocket Lawyer.

Hey Robyn,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and we're pleased to know that our product was able to help you out! Feel free to send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We needed a quick and simple Service Contract. I was planning on typing one myself by compiling info from a web search. Rocket Lawyer came up and it seemed easy to use. It was. We got an awesome easy to read straightforward contract that was comprehensive & quick to customize.

Hey Leslie,

We greatly appreciate your review and we're so glad that you've enjoyed our product! Please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Using Rocket Lawyer for doing property transfer that is a simple one, (no liens, or mortgage) will save buyer/seller $1000's of dollars on this type transaction!! Do the form, print it, go to your local notary with photo ID's for both parties, have him verify/stamps the forms, then take all this paperwork to the courthouse recorder of deeds and the new owner will have a new deed within a week!! Done deal, it is that simple, no expensive lawyer fees!!

Hi Mark,

We're so glad that our services were able to assist you and we hope that you'll return in the future if you ever need us again! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks, Mark!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I didn't really need the service. It was easy to cancel thanks, I found the process to use easy and was quick to find on the web so I could use the service right away. It was ironclad to be specific and procession and legal so that made it an easy choice.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and we greatly appreciate it! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please send an email to customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Thank you for the most practical service. Need it when one is in need of legal documents. It was easy to download, very easy to edit and twice as easy to copy it. I appreciate wholeheartedly for the great service Rocket Lawyer's website provides.

Hi Mary,

We want to thank you for leaving us a review and we're so glad that you've enjoyed what we have to offer here at Rocket Lawyer! If you have any questions or concerns at this time, please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com. Thanks again!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was just sent a bill from the state for $520 for a 2017 Certificate of Annual Registration, even though the business did not start until 2018. Here's the full story: I wanted to start a business in PA beginning 1/1/2018. Once you apply to have the LLC formed, then you are able to apply for a TIN, insurance, etc. So on 12/21/2017, I filled out all requested info on the Rocket Lawyer site to start the LLC and was never asked when the start date of the business would be. I even rechecked today on the RL website and that question is never asked!

Apparently, that question IS asked on Question 4 of the State Certificate of Organization Form DSCB-15-8821 which RL fills out, and RL checked off a box that started the company immediately, not the other box which could have started the company on 1/1/2018 but never asked me! I did not expect RL to provide legal advice, but I did not expect them to NOT ask me a question on a form that they must fill out. Especially since it was 10 days before the end of the year! I will have this fee annually, but obviously, I should not have it for 2017. After hours on the phone, I have learned there is no process for reversing this fee with the Department of State, the Dept. of Revenue, etc. which RL had directed me to do.

Rocket Lawyer claims that, even though the process is usually completed online, it was MY responsibility to CALL to let them know the start date! But that is precisely why I used them, to make it easier to fill out all the forms, etc. I did not know there was a place on the form to provide that information, or that it mattered if it was not asked. Other questions arose where I spoke to a RL representative, but this topic never came up because I did not know it was even an issue! RL refuses to be held accountable because the taped calls never brought up the start date of the company!

This obviously is not the first time dealing with this problem, but their response appears to embody the legal fear of once you agree to be held responsible, others will expect the same thing, so don't ever admit fault. RL works with all states, each of which have different forms, and I am sure PA is not the only one to ask for the start date of the company. Once I had indicated the state at the beginning of the process, I put my trust in RL that they would ask me all pertinent questions to be able to fill out the form for me. What a mistake!

They are trying to put the onus on ME for their ASSUMING the answer to a question asked on a form. After they flatly refused to acknowledge any responsibility three times (I kept hearing a monotone voice say, "I understand your frustration, but there is nothing we can do."), I called RL back to propose that they pay half of the fee, even though I truly believe they are fully responsible. After the typical "they are in a meeting and cannot speak with you", they jumped on this offer, but only if I were to write them a letter stating my offer, as if that means I am somehow accepting responsibility and this is the last they will hear from me.

So although they are paying only half, I think it would have been a wiser business decision, as well as ethical decision, for RL to have paid the entire thing and then fix the website to actually ask the question. A mere $260 more would have generated positive feelings, and saved me all the time it took to challenge this. Apparently this narrow thinking attitude is in line with the meager $12/hour paid to many of their employees. Next time I will try Legal Zoom, which immediately asks when the company will be formed!

Hello Anita,

We greatly apologize for the misunderstanding regarding this matter and have fully refunded all charges, in hopes of rectifying your less than ideal customer experience that we strive to provide customers with as much as we're able to. We will take your feedback and do our best to improve.Thank you for being a Rocket Lawyer customer and best of luck to your new business in the coming years.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Will and My Affidavit of Small Estate - Easy enough to fill out. Appreciate the checklist. Just found out my husband did not make anyone a beneficiary on two checking accounts he had that totaled $2000. Did some calling and it was going to cost almost a fourth of that to hire a lawyer to handle this for me. I will know how good this is after I get it notarized and file it.

Hey Judi,

We just wanted to thank you for leaving us a review and we appreciate it! If you need any assistance, please email us at customerouteach@rocketlawyer.com or give us a call at 877-881-0947 (M-F, 6am-6pm PT).

Original review: March 7, 2018

Had to get a receipt from some manual labor done at my home and this was the solution, Thanks! I will definitely use Rocket Lawyer again for all other needs. I would recommend this and every service they offer to everyone!

Hi Marco,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about us and we hope that you'll come back if you ever need our services in the future! Please feel free to email us at customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com with any questions or concerns, thanks!

Rocket Lawyer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Online platform Rocket Lawyer helps consumers create legal documents and/or find an attorney. Consumers can sign up for a monthly membership or purchase some services on an a la carte basis. The company was founded in 2008, is headquartered in California and has technical and financial backing from tech giants like Google.

• Free trial: Interested consumers can sign up for a free one-week trial. They can use the services during that week and then cancel if the service does not meet their needs.

• Legal documents: Both members and non-members can create a wide variety of legal documents on the Rocket Lawyer website. Members receive these documents for free, and non-members can purchase them for a small free. All documents are specifically designed for the consumer’s state of residence.

• Consumer education: All consumers can access the Legal Help and Information section of Rocket Lawyer’s website for free. The articles on this section of the website provide detailed yet easy to understand information on topics like estate planning, divorce and debt collection, just to name a few.

• Online legal assistance: Members with legal questions can ask a questions on the company’s website and then be matched with a Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney who will quickly answer their question.

• Discounted rates: Members with more complicated questions that cannot be answered online can work with a designated Rocket Lawyer On Call® attorney for 40 percent less than their standard hourly rate or 10 percent off a flat fee service.

• Best for: Rocket Lawyer is best for those looking for a quick and convenient way to create binding legal documents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs