2. Invention and Patent Services

4.2/5 (97 ratings)

About InventionHome

InventionHome is a product and marketing company that helps inventors through the patent, design, licensing and marketing processes. It offers a confidential idea submission process, and its services are available across North America. It has a large retailer network and takes 10% of product royalties.

Top InventionHome Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

Their representatives were able to answer my questions. I used their inventor services on patent searching and patent applications. So far, my overall experience with the service ...

What is InventionHome?

InventionHome provides patenting, licensing and marketing help for inventors in North America. You can submit your invention idea confidentially online, and the company will help you patent and sell your product through its large global network of retailers. InventionHome takes 10% of your royalties if your product is successful.

How does InventionHome work?

To patent or sell your invention with InventionHome, submit your idea confidentially online or call its toll-free number to speak with a specialist. If the company chooses to support your invention, it won’t charge for patenting and marketing the product; however, it does take 10% of the royalties. It sells inventions to major retailers like Walmart, Lowe’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Bed Bath & Beyond.

InventionHome fees

InventionHome doesn’t charge fees for marketing your invention, but it does take 10% of the royalties if your product is successful. It also offers some services with flat fees — you can ask about these costs during your consultation.

InventionHome FAQ

What kinds of inventions does InventionHome support?
InventionHome works with a wide variety of ideas and products; its successful inventions include home goods, pet products, toiletries and outdoor accessories. See its website for a comprehensive list.
Where is InventionHome available?
InventionHome is available across North America, though it helps sell products globally.
What’s the process like with InventionHome?
To get started, submit your idea online or call to speak with a specialist. If InventionHome approves your invention, it helps license, patent and sell the product. It can also assist with prototyping and other design services. InventionHome then takes 10% of any royalties.
Can you submit ideas on InventionHome’s website?
Yes, you can submit ideas online. The submission form on its website is 100% confidential.

Is InventionHome legit?

InventionHome is a legitimate invention company that works with thousands of creators to patent and sell new products. It has a large network of major retailers and doesn’t charge for its marketing services unless your product is successful, in which case it takes 10% of the royalties.

InventionHome Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InventionHome?

Original review: March 15, 2021

When I was communicating with Ron about submitting my product idea, I asked about confidentiality. To my surprise, his exact response was "Forgot it." When I questioned what he was referring to, he proceeded to state "It's been a month" since I first made contact with them, therefore I wasn't serious and he was closing my file. I would not trust a company with such sensitive data as a patent when they behave so unprofessional. They appear to be scammers. Please remember this behavior was in direct response to my question/concerns related to confidentiality.

Hi John,

Please accept my sincere apology on behalf of our company. I am very sorry to learn that your experience with one of our Product Development Managers was less than adequate. We value our customers and understand how important it is to offer exceptional service, and we take full responsibility that your experience did not meet those standards.

I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. It will help us improve our operations and services.

If there are any other issues that need to be addressed, now or in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me personally by phone or email.

Marcia Velette

Director, Customer Operations

Get buying tips about Invention and Patent Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Updated on 12/18/2020: So this is my update that I promised. It has been around year since starting the process with this company and since then there is a very long list of companies they have “submitted” or “suggested” to other companies, close to 200 supposedly. That is all I have seen. I haven’t heard one word from them since the patent pending was completed. I look on their website at least once a month hoping to see something different, or special, or even a note to me. Just to find that they have done almost the exact same thing every month with no exceptions and no word that there has even been a bite. The lawyer who did my patent told me I should’ve went elsewhere, and I just wish I would’ve gotten his advice way earlier. My patent will expire next month and all I got from this company will have been nothing but a temporary patent that I could’ve paid $800 dollars for, but instead somehow paid Invention Home $4200.

I highly recommend doing your research and working through a process like this on your own. Because everyone I have talked to says that the money you spend with this company, you could’ve gotten an actual prototype and started an actual marketing strategy. In my opinion companies like this shouldn’t be allowed to blind side you with a useless tactic that does nothing more than take your money and watch you leave empty handed.

The biggest problem of all is that you will have put your idea out there and after your patent expires them or anyone they showed it to can take it and run with it and there will be nothing you can do. The way the lawyer explained it to me I’d that they wait knowing you won’t pay the extra $1500-$2000 for and actual patent and they will snatch it up. Very, Very disturbing and upsetting! I’ve made stupid mistakes but this one tops them all. Now I’m sure they will put something along the lines of we have spoken to this client and resolved the issue.

Original Review: I found Invention Home online and paid them for the $4200 portfolio. My idea is going to be easily sold if marketed at all. At this point I’ve had had a rare experience with them as don’t know really how the process exactly works and didn’t realize that I wouldn’t be able to at least see who my potential investors would be. I was issued an art director but I’m assuming he’s not an artist lol, just the director and could have a good eye for things, maybe. Because they are using my initial drawing as the artwork to begin with. Then his drawing is very stick like lol.

Later I’m not sure it will get better. I will do an update for sure. I do not want to be swindled if some of these stories in this review are true. I do understand situations are different than others. This is my first invention but I do know it is a necessity for women, children, elderly, and even, every man will want to own it. So far they did the search and nothing even close to my idea has been patented and you can’t find them in stores. I look forward to making a lot of money with invention home if this is the case. I will get a five year patent and I will make this available to the public.

InventionHome response

We hope that once the process is completed you'll be extremely satisfied with the services!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

If your invention is an idea, be vary wary of Invention Home. Michael ** made very lofty promises to market my idea to top companies. Michael assured me my idea was novel and original and so powerful that he was certain Invention Home would easily market it to one of their many big time business partners. He even asked me if I knew of a company called U.L.? After spending over $4000.00 for patent search, portfolio development and provisional patent, my problems started with them. Cindy, my marketing rep was short and snappy and rude every time I called to inquire about my product. Michael refused to respond to my many calls and emails and texts (by the way some of the communication mysteriously disappeared from my devices). I eventually discovered that my idea was neatly packaged and paraded by a very renowned world company - U.L. All this whilst I was supposed to be covered by their Provisional Patent.

On July 2, 2018, I wrote to Integrity Patent Group and copied Michael about suspected infringement on my invention, Michael immediately called me (July 3rd, 2018 about 10:00 am) and acknowledged my concerns and promised to look into the issue immediately and call me back. Since then, I have not heard from Michael or Integrity Patent Group despite phone calls, emails and texts to Michael. Subsequently, some of my communications disappeared and mysteriously many others were added that weren't there. Surprise!!! I feel cheated and lied to. This is my experience with Invention Home.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I started with InventionHome for their assistance with doing a background search to see if my product was out there. Everything checked out good. There wasn't anything out there like this product. The next step was putting my idea in an animation format. Then a Patent Attorney contacted me where I filed my Provisional Patent in October 2016. Well the Summer of 2017 I saw my product all over the TV making millions of dollars. I contacted InventionHome and informed them of my concerns. The Manager of Marketing talked to me for 2 hours on the phone stating that I can still make my product because it was different from the one on the Market. She even gave an example how there was different Washing Machines on the market and how each one does something different. I asked My Patent Attorney and he said that I can still make my product. Needless to say that I did receive my Non-Provisional Patent (Utility) in January 2019.

I would advise anyone to look at Inventright videos by Steven Key on Youtube to get knowledge on how to get a Licensing Agreement on your Invention. I say this because you really don't know if they're really submitting your ideas to companies. They give you a monthly submission report but anyone can write that they're doing something and not really be doing it. There's no proof but their word. If you do it yourself you can keep track of the companies you contact yourself. I still wonder how the minute I file my provisional patent if InventionHome or a company they may have submitted my idea to stole my idea. I've put over $30,000.00 into this project.

I just received my physical Prototype last week from a company called Dirt Cheap Prototype. So I'm still pursuing getting my invention to market. It's just that I can't take InventionHome face value at their word because anyone can say anything. But what counts is what's documented on paper. I don't have much trust in them. But that's why I decided to share my experience with Consumers so that you can draw your own conclusions. They say no company is interested in giving me a Licensing Agreement but yet I look on TV and the internet and the product is making millions of dollars. You figure it out.

Deborah

Waldorf, MD

Original review: July 1, 2019

We went to InventionHome to help us on licensing our product. After being there for maybe eight months I find it hard to believe that they never even had one feedback from any of the feelers they put out and they refuse to tell you what companies they reached out to. So yes they made a nice info sheet about our product, I feel that was all they did and I certainly don’t think anyone ever saw it. I asked to change some stuff to make page more appealing and was told no not possible, it wouldn’t make a difference. So I feel it was just a waste of time, dreams and money using them. Would’ve been better off going to a casino and betting on red or black.

InventionHome response

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction.

After review of your account, we did a great deal of work on your product. We submitted to 145 companies, unfortunately none showed any interest. InventionHome cannot control company interest as many different factors are taken into account by companies when deciding whether or not they would like to pursue a product. Additionally, the documentation we provided you, and you approved, communicated that we would not disclose company names due to confidentiality reasons. We would definitely disclose company names if/when a company shows a level of interest in a product.

Original review: June 13, 2019

A little over a year ago I contacted InventionHome about an idea I had with a detailed description and artwork I had created. They paired me with a patent attorney and had him run a patent inquiry for any and all existing patents that may conflict with my invention. I was contacted when it was complete and informed over the phone that there were a couple of patents that were kind of like mine, but that there was nothing similar enough to conflict with my patent. I was ecstatic and wanted to get the ball rolling, so they sold me on their premium package that they offer. It was a total of $4,000 plus $200 for the patent search.

They created a visual video of my invention in motion to demonstrate the functionality and it looked great. They had a log on my account that displayed companies that they were "marketing" to but even after I signed the non-disclosure waiver, they eventually stopped contacting companies. After months of direct contact with my patent attorney and investigating companies that had essentially created and sold my idea, we realized that my search results were never actually sent to me. He immediately emailed me images from the original search results and there was a patent that was my exact idea that was dated back to 2013. My invention existed 5 years before it even popped into my mind.

InventionHome could not provide evidence of actually sending me the search results aside from an email stating that the search had been completed and was "sent", even though it never was. I took their word over the phone that my invention was a new idea and I was deceived. After the artwork was completed, I never heard from them again. Even after my patent attorney spoke with them multiple times, they still have not contacted me and told him they would not give me a refund. I feel deceived and regret ever giving them my business. If this is how they handle every client, they deserve to go out of business.

InventionHome response

*** InventionHome has resolved the issue with this customer.

We are sorry to hear the customer is dissatisfied. InventionHome has not heard from this customer directly since August 2018.

Our company policy requires patent search results be sent to all customers. In addition, the online questionnaire Mr. Young completed on 5/16/2018 specifically asks the customer to confirm review of the search results and provide additional information or details, if needed:

** After reviewing your patent search, if you feel that similar products were returned in the results, please provide us with details as to how your product may differ from those identified. If any changes or modifications were discussed in light of the patent search results, please provide details below.

Mr. Young completed this section on 5/16/2018 by providing the following information, "My invention in its description does not infringe upon any other similar products that are currently sold." Mr. Young's answer would indicate he reviewed his search results and chose to move forward.

We would be more than happy to have a discussion with Mr. Young.

Original review: May 29, 2019

InventionHome is just like all the rest, they take your money, display your product on their website but most of all give you false hope. Every new inventor has aspirations and dreams about their invention and get caught up in this political game. The only good thing that I received through this company is the recommendation or referral for writing my patent for submission in which I did receive back in 2012. I would highly recommend the consultants that wrote mine.

As far as InventionHome goes when I applied for my non-provisional patent all they did was take monthly payments from me and send me graphs that I am sure were created by someone on their staff that showed various interest in my product...a total scam. Inventors beware. I see all these inventions on here, I would ask to contact some of these to find out how much their initial investment was. I know inventors that are bankrupt.

Original review: May 28, 2019

So far, my experience with InventionHome has been an experience of hurry up and wait. This is not a bad thing as bringing these ideas to consumers under a formula of success takes time. The Good: My account manager, Amy, and art director, James have been very responsive to my needs and desires as a client. The communication and willingness to come to an understanding is very high.

The Average: I just discovered an audio commercial is included in my purchase. Not sure if this has been mentioned since we started the process. I'll inquire about it with my account manager though, now I wonder if there's other services purchased I should be asking for too! Could be Improved: There could be some graphic indicating what stage of the process we're in. There've been times as to when I've been confused about the order of operations of things and unsure as to about how much time is remaining. Giving some graphical info on the account portal can improve the experience for others after me.

InventionHome response

Thank you for the feedback on how we could improve the customer experience. We will definitely take into consideration.

Original review: May 28, 2019

If the company helps me sell the product without me having to pay for the patent then everything you guys said would do would be kept. I would like to sell the rights straight out that's why I don't want to pay for the patent.

Original review: May 25, 2019

My experience with InventionHome has been a great experience. Everything moved quicker than I had expected it to. Everyone is nice and helpful and are very good about keeping me in the loop with what's going on with the process.

InventionHome response

Thanks Antonia! We are pleased to hear the process was smooth and that our staff was helpful keeping you up-to-date.

InventionHome Company Information