4.66/5
Based on 186 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Do you want to see your invention come to life? It's easier than you think! At For Sale by Inventor, we know how important your time, and money is. That's why we have one of the quickest and cheapest methods in the industry to start the process of getting your invention patented and sold. Working with retail partners such as Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sears and more gets you the type of exposure to be truly successful. Our clients love us, and you will too. Call or visit us online today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 6, 2018

198 For Sale by Inventor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Please share with others a shortcoming I experienced with this company. In 2016 I entered into an agreement with For Sale by Inventor where they would complete a research report and make recommendations on my idea's patent-ability based on their research and patent search. The price was $638 and seemed fair for the work they said they would provide.

The report came back very positive and they were very excited for me to go to the next level. They were asking for $7000 to $15000 and sign their contract giving them control of the business surrounding the patent. After my attempt to change some terms, I said no and used a local patent attorney for Patent application who required no such terms. (About $2000) Some 12 months later the US Patent Office rejected my application based on another patent they discovered from 2007. Also in my opinion it is nearly identical. After reading it I decided not to pursue my idea. However I dodged more expensive financial bullet not getting sold into For Sale by Inventor's next level of commitment. Had they discovered and I read this similar patent even after the $638 report, I would not have moved forward with any further expense.

The For Sale by Inventor search included 8 faucet related patents for my search all having the words faucet or valve in their title as mine. The patent not found, I wish they had, used all the words as my patent title except for Lever vs. Handle. So buyer beware that when provided a patent search, don't make decisions based on the failure of that search to find all applicable patents and even one that may appear identical to yours.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I tried to get a patent on the project that I got going and I got For Sale by Inventor off the internet. Their salesman was professional and courteous. He followed up right on time and he's doing what he said he's going to do to get my patent going. Everything was great although I had to have a certain amount of money and I was nearly short right now to get it started. But he made me come down 20 percent on the initial fee. My experience was all good. I didn't get bad vibe at all.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

For Sale by Inventor had the best reviews so I contacted them and the rep, Larry, was easy to talk, professional and polite. He was very helpful and he gave me some good information. He said that he was going to put together a packet to point me in the right direction of how to patent the product. He also did a basic online search to see if it was patentable. Then he said that the teams didn't find anything in existence and he wanted to know if I wanted to go forward with patenting it.

At that time, I was in the process of making some revisions to my idea so I told him I would get back to him. That was when I found that there had been a couple of different similar things that were already invented and patented 20 years ago so that was the end of it. They didn’t inform me after doing their search that it was already around and I had to find it on my own without even really looking. They could have done a little more legwork and I felt like they were just trying to sell me something as opposed to trying to help me. Other than that, it was a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was inquiring at For Sale by Inventor and I got some emails. And I received little snippets of inventors, and how well they’ve done. And I also got an email that said, "Now is the time and if you need help, we’re here." It spammed me, but not too bad. For Sale by Inventor was an option, and I ended up going with a different company that did far more for less.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

The folks over at For Sale by Inventor were very nice, amicable, polite and responsive. And the service was flawless. I will meet a few friends to recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about For Sale by Inventor?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I reached out to For Sale by Inventor for guidance on taking my idea to the next level and I'm still working with one of their representatives. He is professional. He has kept me in the loop and followed up with me. I got him some information he has been waiting for over the weekend so I need to actually touch base with him and see what was going on. But everything has been very good so far.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

For Sale by Inventor is a place where you go to have a product get a patent. The rep that I'm working with has been very informative and professional. I keep missing him, but so far, so good. I got a lot of information and I haven't figured out how much I got to pay yet. I'm waiting for an email from him before I can move forward. We'll be able to work something out. But so far, it's very informative and it helped me out.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Larry from For Sale by Inventor did a great job. I had the perfect experience with him. He was super friendly, very knowledgeable, and answered all my questions. He went above and beyond to help me along with whatever I was asking or talking about. He was wonderful and very professional. I talked to him about an invention idea and we chatted about what all we would need to do and how to go about doing that. But when it came to the price, we didn't have the $800 to start the patent search. So we haven't gone further with it just yet. But everything was perfect.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's rep was professional, courteous, and really personable. He did a great job explaining what parts of the patent stuff were. He's also good about calling back and he was timely. I've dealt with one person the entire time which is nice. However, it wasn't really explained what the company does and the cost breakdown that I should be looking at before I start to see anything happening. Nonetheless, it's understandable to me now and I'll most likely be using the services that they helped facilitate in getting the patent. I did the application and I submitted some drawings but I haven't been able to move forward on it. I've been a little tight on money and time. Other than that, it's been a hundred percent great dealings. I just have to pull my end.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's representatives were good except there was no mention of money at first. And I realized that it was too expensive for me to put my ideas in motion. Other than that, my experience with them was positive, and if a friend asks me about them, I’ll tell them that nothing was free so they have to be prepared to spend some money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

For Sale by Inventor was nice and they get to people right away. However, they were not what I was looking for. I have a domain and they already took all of the good stuff. They bought $800 to do a patent search. And I can do that by myself if I'm without money.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Experience was frustrating as FSBI has too many people involved in process, they are slow to get work done. I paid for services not fully received, terrible experience cost me a lot of money. They care not if you are satisfied, pay up front and buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I went online trying to find a patent process, I posted on Craigslist and For Sale by Inventor picked it up offline. They reached out to me, explained what they do and said they had potential consumers on the product I have for sale. They told me they list everything across the United States where it gets out to a lot of people. I also talked to them about the process and they told me they have a wide staff of lawyers and production people, so it sounded good. They told me what to do, and I went in, paid the fee to have it done and sent some photographs. After that, they contacted me a couple of times. I recently paid a fee and we're still in the middle of the process. Before I could get a patent on my idea, I have to make sure there is nothing out there that I'm going to step on. I told the rep, Danny, that I want him to keep me up to date on things. He called me and wanted some more information, so I sent a lot of pictures.

I had a text saying there was an inquiry about my boat. I called for information on it and For Sale by Inventor gave me the guy's name and number. He saw the ad and he's from Wisconsin, while I'm in Missouri. I called him and he finally got back with me. I talked to him several times and he sounded interested enough. I hope it's legit and my boat sells. That was only one of the inquiries on the boat and I really want to sell it before the end of the year. The guy is supposed to drive to my place to buy my boat and it's 7 or 8 hours to get to Missouri.

This was an idea that I came up with on my job and it works well. There is going to be a market for it. Hopefully, I could either market it or sell the idea to someone else who would market it. I told For Sale by Inventor that I had a Harley Davis for sale and if this boat sells, I'll give them an ad for that. I also have other designs I want to do and run by them, but I want to see how this works. It's an ongoing process, but so far I'm happy with what I've received.

No response received
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

For Sale by Inventor called me. I told them I have an invention and that I already did the plum and copyright. I have a copy of it mailed in a sealed envelope. I just need some more information from the lawyers and patents about regular patents versus utility patents because I’ve seen it on the internet but I’m no lawyer. The rep goes off because I should send him some money for them to get the lawyers and all the cost stuff. I’m like, “Pay you guys for what?" I could research these stuff myself on the internet. I’m like, “Okay. The whole purpose of me inventing something was because I don’t have any money and I wasn’t making money.”

At first, they said they’re not going to charge me anything. I was like, “Oh they get their money from the manufacturer when we actually go to production then they get their part. Okay.” Then after the second call, they’d asked to send them some money, $500. I was like, “No way. It’s not going to happen.” I knew something was wrong with them. If they're an invention company or they help people, we reach out to them and they reach out to us. But he kept calling back if it’s a good time. I was like, “All right. I’m going to do this but I got to go find all my paperwork, describe exactly what the patent is, know what the device is and all that stuff.”

We had a debate on whether or not I want them to make it either like a toy or I just want to make it like an art. I don’t have to go through the whole safety stuff and he was not helpful. He could have told me they’re going to charge me and they would get their commission. He has nil customer service born out of his body at all. He was nice but he needs to be more tactful. He was like, “We’re not going to do nothing for you. You are to do all the work.” He sounded more like a used car salesman versus a customer service rep trying to get you to help.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was satisfied with For Sale by Inventor and I would recommend them to a friend too. They called me and I've sent them what the idea was. They asked me what was the concept behind it. They told me that I need to send money to get it going. So right now I'm trying to come up with the money to pay to get it patented and with the patent search. Somebody could have the greatest idea and not have the money so it would be nice if they would help in finding investors.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was looking and heard about For Sale by Inventor online. We got started three weeks ago and it has been good but limited so far. But, I would recommend For Sale by Inventor. I enjoy talking with their representative and each interaction has been good. They've been friendly and personable people.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I saw For Sale by Inventor when I was looking on the computer for someone to market my invention. The rep I talked to was a very nice person. He answered my question in the right way and I was able to understand the procedure on what they planned to do. The communication was good and they should continue communicating with their customers. They are a nice company.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

For Sale by Inventor seemed to be doing a good job and they’ve been very professional.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I went in looking for one thing and For Sale by Inventor identified the solution for what I was looking for but then they went above and beyond to recommend something else which was awesome. They're also very nice and helpful with the way that they reach out and see what my needs are for the process that I’m working on. They provide great service and the complicated process was made simple.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My experience with For Sale By Inventor has been great so far. The best thing was that the rep that I dealt with told me how it works, followed up with me and understood the situation. They have great customer service and I definitely would be working with them once things straighten out.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was researching about patent laws and how to go about getting into patent when I found For Sale By Inventor. I was skeptical about some of these companies and there were things I needed to hold back as far as the need to feel there’s a confirmation that this was going to benefit me. But the whole experience with For Sale by Inventor was rather very good. Navigating through the website was cool and simple. I've also already spoken with somebody and I’m in the middle of working with them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I was trying to For Sale by Inventor's phone number so I could call them. I’ve got a product that I want them to get and try out and I was checking them up to make sure that I could get somebody that could help me out with it. I have been trying to get in touch with them but I’ve been really busy. I’d like to have them return my calls once in a while.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I did a search on the internet on what will be the best way to pursue my work. I was looking for a person who will partner me with the initial investment for a project. Besides the investment, I do not know what I need to do to pursue all the paperwork. I found For Sale by Inventor and I am now working with their rep Larry. I haven’t been able to use For Sale by Inventor yet but I am finishing this with Larry to make the deal work. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly and I would like it to go further.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I was searching online looking for a good invention company for help and found For Sale by Inventor. I spoke to a project manager named Jamie and she was great. She helped me out a lot. She keeps up with me to make sure that I’m still in the process. For Sale was did a good job. I like the system that they have. They do a lot to help people with the mechanical part of it and the prototypes. I'm at this stage where I need to pay to get the patent and it's kind of a problem coming up with enough money to pay for that process. But I definitely had a great experience with For Sale and I’ll look forward to creating more experiences along the way. I’ve also recommended them to several people already.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

For Sale by Inventor has great service. They worked at my pace and were very understanding. Their representative was also very personable and relatable.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I went online and found For Sale by Inventor. The rep was quite persistent at the beginning but also knowledgeable about what the next steps were. I was asked if I could think of any other little bells and whistles that might help promote the product. That was thinking about the basics and it's good. We're up to the point where the PDF document was given and the next step is for us to pay $1,000 to get them to research the patent. I'm satisfied so far.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My friend referred me to work with an invention company then I researched on the internet, and that’s what led me to For Sale by Inventor. Their reps were very timely and always gave me a window of time when to contact me, and I always got the soonest that they told me. Overall, they were professional and very efficient and so far, it's good.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I learned about For Sale by Inventor through a book that I found at a second-hand store. I’ve e-mailed something to somebody and from there, I just started getting them. I’ve also spoken with a guy over the phone and he seems honest. He’s very respectful, concerned and willing to help. They’re willing to give me the invitation that I need to learn about marketing. The guy wanted me to send money upfront and then the finances that’s being charged with it is supposed to cover all those bases for my next invention.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was on the internet and For Sale By Inventor had a five-star and ranked number. The callback from them came right away and they answered any of my questions. Their salesman was very professional and willing to work with me. I then drew up and sent them pictures of the prototype, and now I'm working with them to search for a patent and make sure nobody else has it. The person I talked to was positive and honest. It was a positive experience. The negative would be the prices. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

For Sale by Inventor have been helping us patent our invention, which would give us the right to make sure nobody will copy it and give us the opportunity to put it in Walmart or in the convenience stores. They seemed to be interested in how well our invention is going to go after we used the money. They're very polite, prompt and pleasant people. Their rep said that our invention was a smart idea and was really enthusiastic about it. He went through all the right channels to make sure that all of the things are done right so far.

For Sale by Inventor questions and answers

What problem is your company trying to solve?
For Sale by Inventor assists individual inventors with bringing an invention idea to the marketplace with coordinated legal, engineering & marketing services.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
We provide coordinated, in-house legal, engineering & marketing services to clients unlike other firms who outsource the work to independent 3rd party contractors.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We work with inventors all the way through the process until their patent ISSUES unlike other firms who simply file applications and become abandoned at the patent office.
How does your company measure success?
We measure success by how many products we can successfully get through the complicated legal process to an issued patent and by how many ultimately make it to selling on the marketplace.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
Many inventors have the perception that all patents are the same regardless of who files them, how much they cost and what type of patent that was filed. Unfortunately, many companies take advantage of this and sell patent application filings with questionable quality by non-licensed practitioners.

Our company has had the misconception from inventors that our cost for patent related services are high when on average they are lower than typical patent firms. Some inventors compare our services to DIY related websites or companies that don’t use licensed patent practitioners to file patents.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
There are companies who advertise aggressively that appear to be misleading inventors into purchasing patent services from non-licensed patent practitioners or patent practitioners based in another country. The services are marked up significantly and don’t appear to be disclosed prominently which gives the appearance of taking advantage of ill-informed consumers.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about your company?
We are a family-owned business with employees who care deeply about the quality of the service we provide inventors.
Has your business received any awards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
We are an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating with over 1,000 ISSUED patents obtained for clients through the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
How has your company grown or evolved?
We continue to grow and evolve daily to provide better quality service and faster turnaround times for our clients demonstrated by our new multi-device friendly, responsive websites with cutting edge 3D virtual prototypes and graphics.

For Sale by Inventor Company Information

forsalebyinventor.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use