4.68/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Do you want to see your invention come to life? It's easier than you think! At For Sale by Inventor, we know how important your time, and money is. That's why we have one of the quickest and cheapest methods in the industry to start the process of getting your invention patented and sold. Working with retail partners such as Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sears and more gets you the type of exposure to be truly successful. Our clients love us, and you will too. Call or visit us online today!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 1, 2017

180 For Sale by Inventor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

For Sale by Inventor seemed to be doing a good job and they’ve been very professional.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I went in looking for one thing and For Sale by Inventor identified the solution for what I was looking for but then they went above and beyond to recommend something else which was awesome. They're also very nice and helpful with the way that they reach out and see what my needs are for the process that I’m working on. They provide great service and the complicated process was made simple.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My experience with For Sale By Inventor has been great so far. The best thing was that the rep that I dealt with told me how it works, followed up with me and understood the situation. They have great customer service and I definitely would be working with them once things straighten out.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was researching about patent laws and how to go about getting into patent when I found For Sale By Inventor. I was skeptical about some of these companies and there were things I needed to hold back as far as the need to feel there’s a confirmation that this was going to benefit me. But the whole experience with For Sale by Inventor was rather very good. Navigating through the website was cool and simple. I've also already spoken with somebody and I’m in the middle of working with them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I was trying to For Sale by Inventor's phone number so I could call them. I’ve got a product that I want them to get and try out and I was checking them up to make sure that I could get somebody that could help me out with it. I have been trying to get in touch with them but I’ve been really busy. I’d like to have them return my calls once in a while.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about For Sale by Inventor?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I did a search on the internet on what will be the best way to pursue my work. I was looking for a person who will partner me with the initial investment for a project. Besides the investment, I do not know what I need to do to pursue all the paperwork. I found For Sale by Inventor and I am now working with their rep Larry. I haven’t been able to use For Sale by Inventor yet but I am finishing this with Larry to make the deal work. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly and I would like it to go further.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I was searching online looking for a good invention company for help and found For Sale by Inventor. I spoke to a project manager named Jamie and she was great. She helped me out a lot. She keeps up with me to make sure that I’m still in the process. For Sale was did a good job. I like the system that they have. They do a lot to help people with the mechanical part of it and the prototypes. I'm at this stage where I need to pay to get the patent and it's kind of a problem coming up with enough money to pay for that process. But I definitely had a great experience with For Sale and I’ll look forward to creating more experiences along the way. I’ve also recommended them to several people already.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

For Sale by Inventor has great service. They worked at my pace and were very understanding. Their representative was also very personable and relatable.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I went online and found For Sale by Inventor. The rep was quite persistent at the beginning but also knowledgeable about what the next steps were. I was asked if I could think of any other little bells and whistles that might help promote the product. That was thinking about the basics and it's good. We're up to the point where the PDF document was given and the next step is for us to pay $1,000 to get them to research the patent. I'm satisfied so far.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My friend referred me to work with an invention company then I researched on the internet, and that’s what led me to For Sale by Inventor. Their reps were very timely and always gave me a window of time when to contact me, and I always got the soonest that they told me. Overall, they were professional and very efficient and so far, it's good.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I learned about For Sale by Inventor through a book that I found at a second-hand store. I’ve e-mailed something to somebody and from there, I just started getting them. I’ve also spoken with a guy over the phone and he seems honest. He’s very respectful, concerned and willing to help. They’re willing to give me the invitation that I need to learn about marketing. The guy wanted me to send money upfront and then the finances that’s being charged with it is supposed to cover all those bases for my next invention.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was on the internet and For Sale By Inventor had a five-star and ranked number. The callback from them came right away and they answered any of my questions. Their salesman was very professional and willing to work with me. I then drew up and sent them pictures of the prototype, and now I'm working with them to search for a patent and make sure nobody else has it. The person I talked to was positive and honest. It was a positive experience. The negative would be the prices. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

For Sale by Inventor have been helping us patent our invention, which would give us the right to make sure nobody will copy it and give us the opportunity to put it in Walmart or in the convenience stores. They seemed to be interested in how well our invention is going to go after we used the money. They're very polite, prompt and pleasant people. Their rep said that our invention was a smart idea and was really enthusiastic about it. He went through all the right channels to make sure that all of the things are done right so far.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I told For Sale by Inventor my great idea. I had two conversations with them and I got it consuming from the lady. They wanted me to pay $550 to start my idea. A lady called me back and she seemed nice, but still required me to pay. They wanted it all at once so I stopped the process with them over a month ago. Another patent attorney took the service for free and I’m going with him. For Sale by Inventor loved the idea, but they weren’t willing to work with me.

For Sale by Inventor response

We pride ourselves with providing unsurpassed education and resources for inventors to launch their ideas. In fact, we have created a Free Patent Search tool that is available to everyone who wants to start the pursuit of a patent on their own. Additionally, we provided Jody with a free invention review of his idea and a free eBook on inventing. All of these free services are provided to inventors with no obligation to purchase any services through our family of companies. These services are geared to help inventors decide whether it makes sense to continue on their journey and pursue patenting and marketing their invention or choose not to proceed any further on their idea. There does reach a point where, after reviewing the invention, we recommend services that we feel are appropriate for the invention. In this case, we recommended a Patent Search with Opinion of Patentability by a licensed patent practitioner and a graphic artist’s rendering of the invention. As Jody mentioned, there is a fee for this service. When comparing this service to the average price for these services in the country, our fees are highly discounted for the individual inventor. Instead of simply refusing our services and electing to go another route with his invention, he decided to rate us poorly on a public site because he felt that we should work for free forever on his invention. Other than Jody’s unnamed “Patent Attorney” who decided to work for “free” on his invention, we aren’t aware of any individuals or companies who choose to work for free forever on somebody else’s invention. We wish Jody the best of luck with his invention.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

It’s been a good experience so far with For Sale by Inventor but I had to stop because I got sick and a bunch of things started happening around us and messed up our center of gravity. Their representatives were easy to get a hold of. I called them back a number of times. I dealt primarily with Garvin and he was very congenial. He told me what I needed to do and before I can go any further with them, I needed to pay them about $800 monthly. And then I will have to make a decision if I want to go further with them in terms of the legalities. I have some kind of notion of what’s going on but I had to get back to Garvin to go through the monetary process. Overall, it seemed to be a whole lot more of a process than I anticipated and a lot more expensive than I thought it might be but their customer service was very present. And I haven’t been able to get back to it yet, but I’m still serious about it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

When you click on the advertisements on the cell phone by For Sale by Inventor, it gives you information including details and A plus BBB ratings. You then call and speak to an agent who requires you to submit some information if they think you have a possible product. Then you call and speak to an agent who requires you to submit some information if they think you have a possible product for them.

I faxed the agent a description of my product then I sent him a photograph of it and a full description of how it's to be used. He wants to know if my product is unheard of or if there's nothing on the market. He wants my product to be superior to anything else on the market. I gave them a ton of information, some designs, indications, and some information about assembling. They have engineers and manufacturers waiting to bite into something and get it going. They have to decide legally about the patent and protection. It's been two months and that's where we are at.

They're nice people at For Sale by Inventor, but I have to see the results. I delivered what they’ve asked for, my ideas, but I haven’t received anything outstanding back from them. They sent a little description of how they would proceed with the product but there wasn’t an honest vision. I need to have it showing that there is an equipment behind the user that would help prevent further injury to a damaged back. It may be the best diagram in the world, but if you were to look at it, you'd say it's a picture of a backpack. We're in the early stage so my anticipation is to get this settled and have the product on the shelves for the holiday shopping season. It's only August, but I have September, October, November, December to really make an impact on Christmas shopping.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I'm doing a lot of research online when I found For Sale by Inventor's website and I liked what I’ve read. I received very personable and great service from their rep. He broke down the process to me to where I can understand it and gave me very comprehensive information on what to expect. So far, I had a pretty good experience with For Sale by Inventor.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Sometimes I call the rep from For Sale by Inventor and he returned the calls right away. Sometimes he's very busy and can’t pick up the phone because he's on another line. But there’s nothing major than that and everything went well with him. It's a good service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I've been dealing with Kurt from For Sale by Inventor and everything that I've dealt with has been very positive. He knows his field, and that’s a good thing. Any questions I got were answered and if he doesn’t know, he finds out. I'm busy and don’t have much time, but he was very patient with me not returning phone calls and being late on emails. Overall, I'm satisfied with For Sale by Inventor's service and definitely pleased with my experience with them so far.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

For Sale by Inventor talks a good game, but after talking to you for 20 minutes, they lower the boom on you at the last two minutes. I'm an inventor and I invent all kinds of stuff. They told me that I have a good invention and they said, "We can get your invention and ideas into all of these different companies” and that I'm a person waiting on the money to come up. They said they'll do this and that, and they just irritated me more.

They weren't helpful. I needed to put a patent on my ideas, but they wanted me to pay $1,000, when I can go up to the courthouse and get the patent paperwork for $80, not $1,000. They're liars. I got their ad off the TV that said I can get free paperwork to have a copyright for my invention so nobody else can make it. This part was supposed to be free, but I can't get anything from them until I hand them the first bit of money, and I haven't got $1000 to give them. They said that the $1,000 fee would be paid on three easy installments, but I can't even come up with that when I’m on disability. By the time I paid them, I'd be broke.

They pissed me off pretty badly. After I've talked to some people about my ideas, somebody else that had the money to back them up got my invention made. Meanwhile, they were getting rich while I was sitting here scratching my head because I couldn’t do that. I guarantee that, within six months, somebody else is going to make my invention that I talked about with For Sale by Inventor. So, on the 3rd of next month, I'm going to go up to the courthouse and get the paperwork to put a patent on my invention, so that if somebody else makes it, I can sue them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I had a short conversation with a rep from For Sale by Inventors. I found that what I wanted to invent was already invented, but he said there are always other steps I could take to enhance it. But I said, “No. They even did better than I thought of.” He said that if I ever needed anything in the future or wanted to brainstorm, I'm more than welcome to work with them. They were great and very friendly.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

When getting down to the cost, I discovered that For Sale by Inventor only shares it one phase at a time. They have different phases for going through the patenting process and I figured that the first price they gave me was the price for the whole patent. Now, that I've paid and completed it, what I found out is a phase of their patent process. So, I just stopped working with them all together because after I completed what I thought would be the final costs involved with filing the patent, they sent me a $12,000. They don’t have a thorough ethic involved with throwing everything out there the way I do.

Also, whomever I interacted with was professional and courteous, but it appears to me that he’s focused on being one and the overall experience doesn’t seem like they're too concerned with it as long as they make $1,000 at a time and with people walking away. As far as being thorough, the CAD-generated copy of my diagram was also nowhere near complete or up to spec. I know CAD-generated artworks and when you show me something that was like it was drawn in a cartooning class and lacking all the details, it doesn’t show that they did a CAD-generated copy of the diagram at all. But one thing that’s for sure is that the reports they gave me as feedback could be helpful for my business plan. There were a lot of useful material that came from them, but I'm going through somewhere else to complete the process. I wouldn’t recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The For Sale by Inventor reps have been awesome and they answer anytime I call. The person I worked with was Donnie and I've even talked to him two hours before he got married. I had an invention about six years ago but I didn't get to go all the way with it. Now, I’m waiting on my patent pending and I’m finally going all the way.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

For Sale by Inventor people are great to work with. I had an item that I wanted them to sell by getting it patented. They've been knowledgeable about all the information if there’s something that I didn't know. I like them very much, and they keep me on my toes. They're not pushy if I need to get things done in the time I need to get things done. They explain things very well if I have questions. I'll get them again because they're very helpful.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

For Sale by Inventor is a great place to get started. But I didn't get too far in the process since they needed $700 and I didn't have that kind of money.

Original review: July 10, 2017

For Sale by Inventor was very good to deal with. They were very confidential about my idea and they wanted to get it done. As soon as I put my idea in, a rep called me every day which I didn't mind because I was involved in my idea and I was hoping it would work out. They were full of information and they let me know what steps I was going to take. They helped me as much as they could, but my money fell out and I couldn't get the cash. If I had come up with the money, I would have gone through with it. Overall, I had a very good experience with them.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I found For Sale by Inventor online and I spoke to Donnie on the phone and I trust him so far. I also reached out to a few companies and they tried to recruit me a little bit more by calling me. Every single company wanted to work with me and when I spoke to each and every one in detail, Donnie seemed a little bit more trustworthy. He was knowledgeable and experienced and every time I reach out to him, he responds. If he doesn't answer the phone, he’ll call right away. I also liked that For Sale by Inventor doesn't take a commission from me. Instead, they take a commission from the company that purchased the product. So that was huge, too. And every other company wanted 10% or in that range. It’s great to begin the process with For Sale by Inventor and so far, my experience has been good.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I read reviews about For Sale by Inventor and they stood out to me. They were the first ones I called and I liked what they had to say. I spoke with two different reps, and have received several emails from individuals even the CEOs too. I understood the process and they have been there for me. They're very pleasant people and are really inspiring.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Everything that For Sale By Inventor had to offer on was all written up, which was really good. When you read it, it’s not like you are reading something that's going to rip you off. We've had bad luck with the internet, so then we were hesitant. But it was incredible when we read their stuff and it was good talking with them. A lady phones us every now and then to see how things are going because she really wants to get everything going. It's like she’s just as excited about it as I am.

I felt that they're honest even before I read their paperwork. It's really neat talking to them because when I have an idea, I'll never know if it's going to work or if it's a good enough idea since lots of people have ideas too. And they were honest enough to tell me if it's a bad or good idea. They have been that way which is really good. We just have to gather everything up so that we could continue on with them. We got to come up with some money ourselves. And once we do that, then the next stage is how we need to do our part so then they can do their part.

Original review: July 5, 2017

We were looking for someone who was advance to help us out in making decisions on the idea in which we already had work going. We reached out to For Sale by Inventor. I didn't want a company that didn’t have any experience as to what we were doing. The representative was good. He's a superb guy, straight no chaser. He was knowledgeable enough to give the information we needed and explained to where our understanding was and what we're paying for. It was amazing trying to get a clear understanding of what gets us through the patent. That's what we would basically deal with was what it takes to get through the patent. We know that we can do a utility patent; we know that in a roundabout what the cost might be; and we know the advantages of working with the company.

For Sale by Inventor said they're going to get us in front of a marketplace that might be interested in collaborating or work cohesively with our invention, connect to the grid for us to somehow recoup some of the cost that it has taken to work with them. So far, the experience has been a learning one. We’re still in process and we’re still doing some paperwork in reference to working on patent and design. Maybe we needed to understand the pricing more, but as far as with problems what can be done, it remains to be seen.

For Sale by Inventor questions and answers

What problem is your company trying to solve?
For Sale by Inventor assists individual inventors with bringing an invention idea to the marketplace with coordinated legal, engineering & marketing services.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
We provide coordinated, in-house legal, engineering & marketing services to clients unlike other firms who outsource the work to independent 3rd party contractors.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We work with inventors all the way through the process until their patent ISSUES unlike other firms who simply file applications and become abandoned at the patent office.
How does your company measure success?
We measure success by how many products we can successfully get through the complicated legal process to an issued patent and by how many ultimately make it to selling on the marketplace.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
Many inventors have the perception that all patents are the same regardless of who files them, how much they cost and what type of patent that was filed. Unfortunately, many companies take advantage of this and sell patent application filings with questionable quality by non-licensed practitioners.

Our company has had the misconception from inventors that our cost for patent related services are high when on average they are lower than typical patent firms. Some inventors compare our services to DIY related websites or companies that don’t use licensed patent practitioners to file patents.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
There are companies who advertise aggressively that appear to be misleading inventors into purchasing patent services from non-licensed patent practitioners or patent practitioners based in another country. The services are marked up significantly and don’t appear to be disclosed prominently which gives the appearance of taking advantage of ill-informed consumers.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about your company?
We are a family-owned business with employees who care deeply about the quality of the service we provide inventors.
Has your business received any awards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
We are an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating with over 1,000 ISSUED patents obtained for clients through the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
How has your company grown or evolved?
We continue to grow and evolve daily to provide better quality service and faster turnaround times for our clients demonstrated by our new multi-device friendly, responsive websites with cutting edge 3D virtual prototypes and graphics.

For Sale by Inventor Company Information