4.67/5
Based on 205 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Do you want to see your invention come to life? It's easier than you think! At For Sale by Inventor, we know how important your time, and money is. That's why we have one of the quickest and cheapest methods in the industry to start the process of getting your invention patented and sold. Working with retail partners such as Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sears and more gets you the type of exposure to be truly successful. Our clients love us, and you will too. Call or visit us online today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

218 For Sale by Inventor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

For Sale by Inventor is doing research for me. Maurice is awesome and I'm pleased with him. I'm comfortable with the way he explained the procedure and what's going on, and that they're about small people like me. So far, my experience has been good.

Get expert buying tips about Invention and Patent Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

When I went online, For Sale by Inventor was one of the websites that caught my eye and they were the first one to get back to me. The fellow who got back to me, Dale, was amazing. He was very competent, very friendly and really nice to work with. I've never done this before, so he made it seem that they basically take care of everything and he was good at explaining. Their service has been amazing. They've been keeping me in the loop and they follow up. It has been reasonable. When people don't know what they're doing, it's nice to have somebody take their hands and show them what to do. Dale walked me through the future stuff and he raised my confidence in this whole process, so we're doing good.

Original review: April 17, 2018

For Sale by Inventor seemed to have the most information when I logged on to the site. They were close to the top of the list. Initially, the site said that it was free patenting. As we went along, the prices came up. It wasn't really extreme, but I just needed to have it right away and I thought I could break it down into payments. And it's still in the front of my mind and I still wanna do it, but I just don't have the money yet. Other than that, For Sale by Inventor seems to be interested in the idea and they have the faith that there's nothing else like it out there. The representatives were very informative, supportive, and persistent.

Original review: April 8, 2018

For Sale by Inventor has been on top of everything. I've been waiting for them to give me the results on everything. But it just takes a few weeks, so I'm being patient. I was doing my research online to see the best company to go with. I looked at the reviews and what other people experienced with certain companies, and I went with For Sale. Their rep has been active. He's been giving me calls and letting me know how things are going. I called about a week ago and got in touch with the voicemail, but then they called me back. And they said they were gonna send me an email, but I never received it for some reason. But I'm satisfied, so far.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had all these ideas and I've had them since I was small, and I never knew what to do. I searched for someone that could help me out since I don't have an engineering degree and a marketing degree. And I'm not that knowledgeable in a lot of those areas. I found For Sale by Inventor online and they had good ratings. Their reps were great and they've been able to answer all my questions, so far. The guy I dealt with extremely helped and he seems to be knowledgeable in his job, and I appreciate that. If people have a project or an idea to pursue, I would recommend For Sale by Inventor highly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about For Sale by Inventor?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had a great experience with For Sale by Inventor. They had an extra protection advertisement since there are scammers out there that seem more legit. They are very high oriented as far as making sure you understand it versus just getting it out there. They make sure you build a trust. Also, their representative made us feel very comfortable. He made me aware of the security with them, and their confidentiality. He also wanted to know how far I had gotten with the idea because he was telling me about the different steps for patenting, which are several before they actually start it.

We also discussed trademarks and then he gave some examples of products that have been out for a while, like the holding case for the back of the truck. That speaks a lot when something you see every day that we use actually is with their company. Moreover, he wanted to make sure that my husband knew I was thinking about this idea. And although I'm still waiting for extra finances or an alternative route because there are a lot of ways to get things patented, For Sale by Inventor still want to teach you of what’s needed. Other companies that I went with didn’t even email me back.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was looking for a patent on the internet and I found For Sale by Inventor’s site. Kurt called me after that and he has really helped me. I’m really excited about For Sale by Inventor. I’ve also corresponded with Neil, the owner, and I really liked the treatment I got.

Original review: March 23, 2018

For Sale by Inventor haven’t pushed me to buy something but they gave me the option to buy. And they have done follow-ups. Donnie and the people at the attorney's office who are handling the patent application are doing a good job. And my experience has been good.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I didn't agree with InventHelp's policies. I then came across For Sale by Inventor and I contacted them and sent them pictures as well as the rough draft of what my idea was and they got a hold of me within a couple of days. The rep asked me a bunch of questions about what my idea was, how I think it should be marketed and what kind of places should be targeted with the marketing. He also gave me a lot of different options on what I could do and how to go about it. He was always the same guy I talked to and he was decent as far as keeping in contact and calling and seeing where I wanted to go with my idea and stuff like that. But I decided not to pursue it because I didn't have the money to invest. But if someone would invest I'd go with them. They're better than InventHelp.

Original review: March 12, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's rep was very helpful in telling me about how my invention was going to get marketed, about the investors, and the lawyer doing the research on it to make sure nobody had the piece, so we wouldn’t copy anybody's invention. He calls me up all the time and keeps me informed. My experience was great and I love it. I'd tell others to go to For Sale by Inventor because they’re very capable of getting their product out there. And they would keep them informed, if not daily, every other day, to let them know what’s going on. I’m very satisfied.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The For Sale by Inventor rep had a good personality, and I like the way she explained everything to me simply. She took her time, explained her thing nicely and asked me if I had any questions or if I understood. I figured I was jumping into something I wasn't ready for, but the rep was nice and everything went well.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have a friend who invented a couple things, including the touch light, and has worked with For Sale by Inventor before. The guy working with me is a 100% and has helped with all the answers I needed help with, but I had to put everything on hold. I'm so busy and I have a bunch of stuff I want to hand them right now.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had an invention so I wanted to secure a patent. Donnie, my rep from For Sale by Inventor has been very good. He's personable, honest, and responsive to my calls. I just submitted the $14,000 to get the patent into approval and the service has been good so far. You go into it and you’re scared and they try to reassure you if they think it’s a good idea. It’s definitely a lot of money and an investment, so they do the best they can to help you.

Original review: March 1, 2018

When I was browsing online, a lot of different companies popped up as far as for people that try to reach out to individuals or companies to help them get their invention off the ground. I looked at the Better Business Bureau and matched up some of that information. For Sale by Inventor had some good overall reviews and I didn’t see too many alerting reviews on them versus some other companies that I saw and made a decision based on that. Their reps seemed thorough and well known, and their patent attorneys seemed successful so they’re a pretty strong company. They also had a good background of people that were successful and used them as a reference so it was a clear shot.

Also, if patents or inventions were under my name and I go about it the right way, I can walk away whenever I want to, represent that correctly and not be bound to them. We’re at the beginning stage of the prototypes and so far, it’s been steady. I’d tell others to contact For Sale by Inventor but take the right steps to protect themselves and not just give it to For Sale by Inventor right away. They do a nondisclosure agreement right away if you want to talk to them about something and get a quote.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Interactions with the representatives have been very favorable. The For Sale by Inventor rep answered my questions the best he could and made me feel at ease. It's sort of a crapshoot when doing this, so the main thing a rep can do is answer the most of your questions and try to put himself in your place, and he did. It has been a really good experience. I'm really satisfied and I would recommend them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I had an idea and my wife had this idea for a while and I gave For Sale by Inventor a call. I sent my idea in and they were pretty good about what we were talking about and they accepted it. This was my first experience with anything like it. Their rep called me the other day saying everything was going along all right. He has kept in contact with me. He originally told me that it is about $900 to start this process. Then he said he was going to give me a $200 rebate to use back in January when we first started talking about it. We all take that risk but their rep led me to believe that my idea was great and he has somebody working on it. I got a couple of other ideas but I’m just going to try this and see how it works and go from there.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had a lot of experience before I dealt with For Sale by Inventor and interacting with their reps has been wonderful. Usually when I talk to somebody, they say they'll call me back, and they don't call me back, but the lady I've been dealing with has been nice, has been calling me back, checking in on me and making sure that we're all on the same page. They're waiting on me to come up with some money so I can get started on my patent.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Our overall experience with For Sale by Inventor has been fine. My husband had questions and when no longer I couldn't answer he was referred to somebody else, who called and answered the questions for my husband.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's reps have been doing great. However, I expected the process to work faster but that ain't the case. There were different holds on the communication as expected and they've dealt with an attorney.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

The representative explained everything, encouraged me, and answered all the questions that I needed to have answered to help me make a logical evaluation of what I wanted to do at the time. Also he told me to just give them a call if I decided to go pursue it and they would be willing to help me. He was very kind, knowledgeable, informative, and helpful to me, and I would highly recommend For Sale by Inventor.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Please share with others a shortcoming I experienced with this company. In 2016 I entered into an agreement with For Sale by Inventor where they would complete a research report and make recommendations on my idea's patent-ability based on their research and patent search. The price was $638 and seemed fair for the work they said they would provide.

The report came back very positive and they were very excited for me to go to the next level. They were asking for $7000 to $15000 and sign their contract giving them control of the business surrounding the patent. After my attempt to change some terms, I said no and used a local patent attorney for Patent application who required no such terms. (About $2000) Some 12 months later the US Patent Office rejected my application based on another patent they discovered from 2007. Also in my opinion it is nearly identical. After reading it I decided not to pursue my idea. However I dodged more expensive financial bullet not getting sold into For Sale by Inventor's next level of commitment. Had they discovered and I read this similar patent even after the $638 report, I would not have moved forward with any further expense.

The For Sale by Inventor search included 8 faucet related patents for my search all having the words faucet or valve in their title as mine. The patent not found, I wish they had, used all the words as my patent title except for Lever vs. Handle. So buyer beware that when provided a patent search, don't make decisions based on the failure of that search to find all applicable patents and even one that may appear identical to yours.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I tried to get a patent on the project that I got going and I got For Sale by Inventor off the internet. Their salesman was professional and courteous. He followed up right on time and he's doing what he said he's going to do to get my patent going. Everything was great although I had to have a certain amount of money and I was nearly short right now to get it started. But he made me come down 20 percent on the initial fee. My experience was all good. I didn't get bad vibe at all.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

For Sale by Inventor had the best reviews so I contacted them and the rep, Larry, was easy to talk, professional and polite. He was very helpful and he gave me some good information. He said that he was going to put together a packet to point me in the right direction of how to patent the product. He also did a basic online search to see if it was patentable. Then he said that the teams didn't find anything in existence and he wanted to know if I wanted to go forward with patenting it.

At that time, I was in the process of making some revisions to my idea so I told him I would get back to him. That was when I found that there had been a couple of different similar things that were already invented and patented 20 years ago so that was the end of it. They didn’t inform me after doing their search that it was already around and I had to find it on my own without even really looking. They could have done a little more legwork and I felt like they were just trying to sell me something as opposed to trying to help me. Other than that, it was a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was inquiring at For Sale by Inventor and I got some emails. And I received little snippets of inventors, and how well they’ve done. And I also got an email that said, "Now is the time and if you need help, we’re here." It spammed me, but not too bad. For Sale by Inventor was an option, and I ended up going with a different company that did far more for less.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

The folks over at For Sale by Inventor were very nice, amicable, polite and responsive. And the service was flawless. I will meet a few friends to recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I reached out to For Sale by Inventor for guidance on taking my idea to the next level and I'm still working with one of their representatives. He is professional. He has kept me in the loop and followed up with me. I got him some information he has been waiting for over the weekend so I need to actually touch base with him and see what was going on. But everything has been very good so far.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

For Sale by Inventor is a place where you go to have a product get a patent. The rep that I'm working with has been very informative and professional. I keep missing him, but so far, so good. I got a lot of information and I haven't figured out how much I got to pay yet. I'm waiting for an email from him before I can move forward. We'll be able to work something out. But so far, it's very informative and it helped me out.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Larry from For Sale by Inventor did a great job. I had the perfect experience with him. He was super friendly, very knowledgeable, and answered all my questions. He went above and beyond to help me along with whatever I was asking or talking about. He was wonderful and very professional. I talked to him about an invention idea and we chatted about what all we would need to do and how to go about doing that. But when it came to the price, we didn't have the $800 to start the patent search. So we haven't gone further with it just yet. But everything was perfect.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's rep was professional, courteous, and really personable. He did a great job explaining what parts of the patent stuff were. He's also good about calling back and he was timely. I've dealt with one person the entire time which is nice. However, it wasn't really explained what the company does and the cost breakdown that I should be looking at before I start to see anything happening. Nonetheless, it's understandable to me now and I'll most likely be using the services that they helped facilitate in getting the patent. I did the application and I submitted some drawings but I haven't been able to move forward on it. I've been a little tight on money and time. Other than that, it's been a hundred percent great dealings. I just have to pull my end.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's representatives were good except there was no mention of money at first. And I realized that it was too expensive for me to put my ideas in motion. Other than that, my experience with them was positive, and if a friend asks me about them, I’ll tell them that nothing was free so they have to be prepared to spend some money.

For Sale by Inventor expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For Sale by Inventor helps inventors, new and established, get on the fast-track to launching their products. They work with both inventors wanting to market their inventions and companies looking for the right inventions to sponsor for sale. With a fully licensed legal team and an extensive combined background in marketing and sales, For Sale by Inventor delivers excellent service to both sides of the coin.

• New inventor guidance: From start to finish, even those with no background in marketing, sales, or legal principles can be guided to product launch in record time.

• Legal advice: Their fully licensed legal time holds an impressive combined background and can help new inventors dodge the rough legal expectations that can come alongside new products.

• Inventions accessible by businesses: Successful inventions will be placed on the website, which is easily accessed by companies and other entities for investment and sponsorship.

• Guides companies to the right products: New companies simply have to enter in the budget and details of products they are looking for and For Sale by Inventor will do the leg work of finding the right products for them.

• Premium marketing packages: The offered marketing packages are well worth the money spent, thanks to the combined knowledge of their marketing and sales team.

• Best for: people looking to bring their invention to a larger market.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

For Sale by Inventor questions and answers

What problem is your company trying to solve?
For Sale by Inventor assists individual inventors with bringing an invention idea to the marketplace with coordinated legal, engineering & marketing services.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
We provide coordinated, in-house legal, engineering & marketing services to clients unlike other firms who outsource the work to independent 3rd party contractors.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We work with inventors all the way through the process until their patent ISSUES unlike other firms who simply file applications and become abandoned at the patent office.
How does your company measure success?
We measure success by how many products we can successfully get through the complicated legal process to an issued patent and by how many ultimately make it to selling on the marketplace.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
Many inventors have the perception that all patents are the same regardless of who files them, how much they cost and what type of patent that was filed. Unfortunately, many companies take advantage of this and sell patent application filings with questionable quality by non-licensed practitioners.

Our company has had the misconception from inventors that our cost for patent related services are high when on average they are lower than typical patent firms. Some inventors compare our services to DIY related websites or companies that don’t use licensed patent practitioners to file patents.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
There are companies who advertise aggressively that appear to be misleading inventors into purchasing patent services from non-licensed patent practitioners or patent practitioners based in another country. The services are marked up significantly and don’t appear to be disclosed prominently which gives the appearance of taking advantage of ill-informed consumers.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about your company?
We are a family-owned business with employees who care deeply about the quality of the service we provide inventors.
Has your business received any awards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
We are an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating with over 1,000 ISSUED patents obtained for clients through the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
How has your company grown or evolved?
We continue to grow and evolve daily to provide better quality service and faster turnaround times for our clients demonstrated by our new multi-device friendly, responsive websites with cutting edge 3D virtual prototypes and graphics.

For Sale by Inventor Company Information