Call toll free
4.68/5
Based on 218 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Do you want to see your invention come to life? It's easier than you think! At For Sale by Inventor, we know how important your time, and money is. That's why we have one of the quickest and cheapest methods in the industry to start the process of getting your invention patented and sold. Working with retail partners such as Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sears and more gets you the type of exposure to be truly successful. Our clients love us, and you will too. Call or visit us online today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

231 For Sale by Inventor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2018

I already knew to look for a trademark and all then a friend of mine just got a job at For Sale by Inventor so that was how it all worked out. I’ve done copyright but I didn’t have to talk to anybody so that was different and with For Sale by Inventor, it seemed like everything went fine. My friend was new and knew was he was doing. He did a great job. My overall experience with For Sale by Inventor was very good.

Get expert buying tips about Invention and Patent Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My experience with For Sale by Inventor has been excellent. I’ve been in the hospital and my left foot was removed and my right foot is beginning the process. One of their employees, John, has been a big help and he stayed in contact with me. He didn’t call me back, but he called me frequently when I’m not in the hospital. He didn’t wanna bother me and I appreciate that. I felt they were genuinely concerned and excited to help. The dealings I had with their reps were all very relatively really good. They explained to me exactly what I needed to do, how to do it, and gave me feedback on how I might improve and bring out my inventions, which was really my investment bank. It was a professional, very interested and participated experience. It was very nice to have them.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My interactions with For Sale by Inventor's reps went well. We talked over the invention plan and when I’ll be able to make my first payment so that I can try my invention and look forward getting it patented. Whenever I have a question, their rep was available for me to answer and all my questions have been answered. So far, my experience with For Sale by Inventor has been good. I just can’t wait ‘til I can move forward with my invention.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've had a good overall experience with For Sale by Inventor. I've been talking to a guy from Ohio and he has been really good. I told him my invention and he had seen it in his head but he wanted me to draw a picture. I can then meet with his team and they can go over it with me. But I told him I don't know how to draw and that it would be kind of difficult for me. I have no prototype but I would like to get my idea made. I don’t know too much more about the business like where we would go from here once he had an idea of what I wanted to do. What was the process? But he helped walk me through my invention and he even helped me with ideas. I had a basic idea of my invention in my head and he didn't try to tell me how to do it. Instead, his idea helped me to add on to make my invention even better. Now, I'm making sure the addition is the right one.

The staff there were really good and their guy got straight to the point about my idea compared to the guy I talked with from another place. The guy there told me to watch videos and that the owner has been on NBC. But I didn't wanna hear all that. Towards the end, he told me that they were gonna do things for $685. I didn't have that then but he said we could make a payment arrangement. I understand that you should give the best on whatever you're doing, but I didn't even know the guy. I didn't want to put my money out there and nothing happens.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The guy that was helping me at For Sale by Inventor seems to be fair, friendly, soft-spoken and kind. Plus he's not the pushy type of guy. He’s just praising me for my idea and seems to be laid back. He really cares and wants me to get this done. Although I’ve never had heard of them before until then, I think they are a legit company. I don’t have any hindrance or hesitation about them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about For Sale by Inventor?

Original review: May 19, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's rep, Donnie, reached out to me and followed up with me after talking with him for a few days. I decided to go ahead and see what they could do for me and we got the initial process rolling. So far, the service has been great. Donnie’s been really good at getting back to me as far as any thoughts or questions that I have. He’s called me multiple times and responded to some emails. I really appreciate the swift approach that he’s taken. For Sale by Inventor seems to be good, so far. I haven’t caught any signs that anything sketchy is going on. But I’m definitely on the edge a bit about it just because of the initial investment and everything that goes with it. Nevertheless, For Sale by Inventor is fast and friendly.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When I was randomly searching for some place on the internet involving inventing products, For Sale by Inventor was one of the first things that popped up. Their rep, Garvin, was amazing. He was very friendly and personable on the phone. He was helpful as well if I had any questions and called me back to follow-up on the product that I want to invent. To me, that said that he was interested. So far, I haven’t used the service because I’m waiting for extra funds to be able to go through with it. But in conversation, my experience with them has been very good and I’m very appreciative of all the help that Gavin has done for me. He took the time to communicate with me and it was a pleasurable experience to have someone interested in what you have to say. I would tell my friends to give it a go with For Sale by Inventor and see what happens.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have an idea that I believe could be patented. I went online and got For Sale by Inventor's phone number. I also emailed them then about half an hour, somebody called me. After that, the guy kept calling me. He was good and really sharp. When he said that he would do something or he would call a certain time, he was already at point. He got some information and I sent him some information and drawings. He also said that they have some ideas and that it could be a good opportunity. He told me that they will do a research and will present me 50 pages which would be a report on researches and things like that to see the availability of the project and if it could be done and would be something that we could go ahead with. He also told me that it’s gonna be in four weeks. Overall, I feel good about For Sale by Inventor's service. They give people the opportunity to work with. I paid some money, but it’s worth it.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I’ve had several interactions with people from For Sale by Inventor and they’ve all been positive. The reps have been receptive too. The first guy I talked to was kind of a salesman type of person. They were not a hard-sell and were not pushing me, though. I talked with Neil, the CEO, and he explained the process. I also talked to Aaron and as I went further down the line, it’s been more business-like. Every time I would call or have a question, they get back to me right away as well.

I’m at the phase right now where I just paid up all the money I owe and I’m waiting for the first page of drawings for my inventions. But, they never asked to look at my invention physically and the dimensions that might be helpful for their drawings. I’m kind of predicting that I’m gonna have to modify some of the sizes and stuff once I get the first page of drawings. But if they wanna look at what I’ve got, I am willing to ship it to them. Other than that, everything has been good. I’d tell people to give it a try.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've had an idea in my head for a while and I had no idea how to do it. I typed in on the internet, “How to patent an idea” or, "How to patent an item, product." There were a couple of suggestions that were provided to me by Google which I had followed. I had reached out to them and For Sale by Inventor was the first one to get back with me.

I very much enjoyed their phone etiquette. What I wanted to do was a mega project that was very large in scope. After we have taken care of our non-disclosure agreements and we were beneficially talking about my product, they told me what they were going to do and what their recommendation was. They were gonna have a whole team because of the different areas that my project was going to encompass. They also said that having these many people on the research aspect of thing would make the project done much sooner. They would talk with industry professionals as well.

I asked them how much all these would be because I was thinking it was going to be around $10,000. But for $1,000 for them to do some research and the other services that are being offered along with their platinum package, that was a good idea and a good bang-for-my-buck kind of deal. Then afterwards, we would go forth with how much the official patent is going to be. And if there is anybody that already has a patent on my project, that won’t mean that we couldn't use my project, nonetheless.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience with For Sale. The people I've talked to have been great. They’ve been very helpful in talking to me about the legalities of things and they were very good in making sure that my understanding and comprehension of how this works would be as much as they know. Also, the services that For Sale offers are great because they take out a lot of the hard work and just make things much easier. I’m going to continue using them after my personal affairs are all taken care of and my funds are then freed up to continue to pursue what I wanna do so that way I could stop truck driving. I would also highly recommend them to my other cousins. I have a cousin who's always coming up with ideas and I've told him about them.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I was doing some research online and the very next day, For Sale by Inventor called me. It was amazing. I didn't believe it in the beginning. And they are with the Better Business Bureau, my bank lady checked them out, and they got good reviews. So, I felt comfortable. I didn't check any other company besides them. Also, it's a family-based company so I like it.

The reps were good. When I called, they always called me back. They were very explanatory about the company and what they were gonna offer. I dealt with Donny for about a month and he was amazing. He called me every day. I'm still dealing with Bobby and I'm working with him to try to get the invention on the market. I'm ready to go through the next step and they've been helping me.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I had a nice interaction with Donnie. He was the one I spoke to who works in For Sale by Inventor. He is a very nice man and kind. He’s a good front piece to represent the company. Dealing with Donnie was how far I went thus far and not with the company, but overall, I had a good experience with their service.

Original review: April 20, 2018

For Sale by Inventor is doing research for me. Maurice is awesome and I'm pleased with him. I'm comfortable with the way he explained the procedure and what's going on, and that they're about small people like me. So far, my experience has been good.

Original review: April 18, 2018

When I went online, For Sale by Inventor was one of the websites that caught my eye and they were the first one to get back to me. The fellow who got back to me, Dale, was amazing. He was very competent, very friendly and really nice to work with. I've never done this before, so he made it seem that they basically take care of everything and he was good at explaining. Their service has been amazing. They've been keeping me in the loop and they follow up. It has been reasonable. When people don't know what they're doing, it's nice to have somebody take their hands and show them what to do. Dale walked me through the future stuff and he raised my confidence in this whole process, so we're doing good.

Original review: April 17, 2018

For Sale by Inventor seemed to have the most information when I logged on to the site. They were close to the top of the list. Initially, the site said that it was free patenting. As we went along, the prices came up. It wasn't really extreme, but I just needed to have it right away and I thought I could break it down into payments. And it's still in the front of my mind and I still wanna do it, but I just don't have the money yet. Other than that, For Sale by Inventor seems to be interested in the idea and they have the faith that there's nothing else like it out there. The representatives were very informative, supportive, and persistent.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My wife has this chair and we've been having it made in Mexico. The For Sale by Inventor rep answered well every question I had. I don’t like to be pressured if I'm inquiring about something and she hasn’t done any of that. I was very pleased with how far I've gone so far. I've been corresponding with them over the phone for a month because I was very concerned about what it was gonna cost and what it was gonna do. I’m still not through and I still haven’t made 100% but I’m 90% sure that I’m gonna do it as far as seeing if it’s patentable, and the rep gave me a price of what it will cost to find out if I'm able to patent it, then a ballpark figure on what it will cost to actually get the patent.

Original review: April 8, 2018

For Sale by Inventor has been on top of everything. I've been waiting for them to give me the results on everything. But it just takes a few weeks, so I'm being patient. I was doing my research online to see the best company to go with. I looked at the reviews and what other people experienced with certain companies, and I went with For Sale. Their rep has been active. He's been giving me calls and letting me know how things are going. I called about a week ago and got in touch with the voicemail, but then they called me back. And they said they were gonna send me an email, but I never received it for some reason. But I'm satisfied, so far.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had all these ideas and I've had them since I was small, and I never knew what to do. I searched for someone that could help me out since I don't have an engineering degree and a marketing degree. And I'm not that knowledgeable in a lot of those areas. I found For Sale by Inventor online and they had good ratings. Their reps were great and they've been able to answer all my questions, so far. The guy I dealt with extremely helped and he seems to be knowledgeable in his job, and I appreciate that. If people have a project or an idea to pursue, I would recommend For Sale by Inventor highly.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had a great experience with For Sale by Inventor. They had an extra protection advertisement since there are scammers out there that seem more legit. They are very high oriented as far as making sure you understand it versus just getting it out there. They make sure you build a trust. Also, their representative made us feel very comfortable. He made me aware of the security with them, and their confidentiality. He also wanted to know how far I had gotten with the idea because he was telling me about the different steps for patenting, which are several before they actually start it.

We also discussed trademarks and then he gave some examples of products that have been out for a while, like the holding case for the back of the truck. That speaks a lot when something you see every day that we use actually is with their company. Moreover, he wanted to make sure that my husband knew I was thinking about this idea. And although I'm still waiting for extra finances or an alternative route because there are a lot of ways to get things patented, For Sale by Inventor still want to teach you of what’s needed. Other companies that I went with didn’t even email me back.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was looking for a patent on the internet and I found For Sale by Inventor’s site. Kurt called me after that and he has really helped me. I’m really excited about For Sale by Inventor. I’ve also corresponded with Neil, the owner, and I really liked the treatment I got.

Original review: March 23, 2018

For Sale by Inventor haven’t pushed me to buy something but they gave me the option to buy. And they have done follow-ups. Donnie and the people at the attorney's office who are handling the patent application are doing a good job. And my experience has been good.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I didn't agree with InventHelp's policies. I then came across For Sale by Inventor and I contacted them and sent them pictures as well as the rough draft of what my idea was and they got a hold of me within a couple of days. The rep asked me a bunch of questions about what my idea was, how I think it should be marketed and what kind of places should be targeted with the marketing. He also gave me a lot of different options on what I could do and how to go about it. He was always the same guy I talked to and he was decent as far as keeping in contact and calling and seeing where I wanted to go with my idea and stuff like that. But I decided not to pursue it because I didn't have the money to invest. But if someone would invest I'd go with them. They're better than InventHelp.

Original review: March 12, 2018

For Sale by Inventor's rep was very helpful in telling me about how my invention was going to get marketed, about the investors, and the lawyer doing the research on it to make sure nobody had the piece, so we wouldn’t copy anybody's invention. He calls me up all the time and keeps me informed. My experience was great and I love it. I'd tell others to go to For Sale by Inventor because they’re very capable of getting their product out there. And they would keep them informed, if not daily, every other day, to let them know what’s going on. I’m very satisfied.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The For Sale by Inventor rep had a good personality, and I like the way she explained everything to me simply. She took her time, explained her thing nicely and asked me if I had any questions or if I understood. I figured I was jumping into something I wasn't ready for, but the rep was nice and everything went well.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have a friend who invented a couple things, including the touch light, and has worked with For Sale by Inventor before. The guy working with me is a 100% and has helped with all the answers I needed help with, but I had to put everything on hold. I'm so busy and I have a bunch of stuff I want to hand them right now.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had an invention so I wanted to secure a patent. Donnie, my rep from For Sale by Inventor has been very good. He's personable, honest, and responsive to my calls. I just submitted the $14,000 to get the patent into approval and the service has been good so far. You go into it and you’re scared and they try to reassure you if they think it’s a good idea. It’s definitely a lot of money and an investment, so they do the best they can to help you.

Original review: March 1, 2018

When I was browsing online, a lot of different companies popped up as far as for people that try to reach out to individuals or companies to help them get their invention off the ground. I looked at the Better Business Bureau and matched up some of that information. For Sale by Inventor had some good overall reviews and I didn’t see too many alerting reviews on them versus some other companies that I saw and made a decision based on that. Their reps seemed thorough and well known, and their patent attorneys seemed successful so they’re a pretty strong company. They also had a good background of people that were successful and used them as a reference so it was a clear shot.

Also, if patents or inventions were under my name and I go about it the right way, I can walk away whenever I want to, represent that correctly and not be bound to them. We’re at the beginning stage of the prototypes and so far, it’s been steady. I’d tell others to contact For Sale by Inventor but take the right steps to protect themselves and not just give it to For Sale by Inventor right away. They do a nondisclosure agreement right away if you want to talk to them about something and get a quote.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Interactions with the representatives have been very favorable. The For Sale by Inventor rep answered my questions the best he could and made me feel at ease. It's sort of a crapshoot when doing this, so the main thing a rep can do is answer the most of your questions and try to put himself in your place, and he did. It has been a really good experience. I'm really satisfied and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I had an idea and my wife had this idea for a while and I gave For Sale by Inventor a call. I sent my idea in and they were pretty good about what we were talking about and they accepted it. This was my first experience with anything like it. Their rep called me the other day saying everything was going along all right. He has kept in contact with me. He originally told me that it is about $900 to start this process. Then he said he was going to give me a $200 rebate to use back in January when we first started talking about it. We all take that risk but their rep led me to believe that my idea was great and he has somebody working on it. I got a couple of other ideas but I’m just going to try this and see how it works and go from there.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had a lot of experience before I dealt with For Sale by Inventor and interacting with their reps has been wonderful. Usually when I talk to somebody, they say they'll call me back, and they don't call me back, but the lady I've been dealing with has been nice, has been calling me back, checking in on me and making sure that we're all on the same page. They're waiting on me to come up with some money so I can get started on my patent.

For Sale by Inventor expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For Sale by Inventor helps inventors, new and established, get on the fast-track to launching their products. They work with both inventors wanting to market their inventions and companies looking for the right inventions to sponsor for sale. With a fully licensed legal team and an extensive combined background in marketing and sales, For Sale by Inventor delivers excellent service to both sides of the coin.

• New inventor guidance: From start to finish, even those with no background in marketing, sales, or legal principles can be guided to product launch in record time.

• Legal advice: Their fully licensed legal time holds an impressive combined background and can help new inventors dodge the rough legal expectations that can come alongside new products.

• Inventions accessible by businesses: Successful inventions will be placed on the website, which is easily accessed by companies and other entities for investment and sponsorship.

• Guides companies to the right products: New companies simply have to enter in the budget and details of products they are looking for and For Sale by Inventor will do the leg work of finding the right products for them.

• Premium marketing packages: The offered marketing packages are well worth the money spent, thanks to the combined knowledge of their marketing and sales team.

• Best for: people looking to bring their invention to a larger market.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

For Sale by Inventor questions and answers

What problem is your company trying to solve?
For Sale by Inventor assists individual inventors with bringing an invention idea to the marketplace with coordinated legal, engineering & marketing services.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
We provide coordinated, in-house legal, engineering & marketing services to clients unlike other firms who outsource the work to independent 3rd party contractors.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We work with inventors all the way through the process until their patent ISSUES unlike other firms who simply file applications and become abandoned at the patent office.
How does your company measure success?
We measure success by how many products we can successfully get through the complicated legal process to an issued patent and by how many ultimately make it to selling on the marketplace.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
Many inventors have the perception that all patents are the same regardless of who files them, how much they cost and what type of patent that was filed. Unfortunately, many companies take advantage of this and sell patent application filings with questionable quality by non-licensed practitioners.

Our company has had the misconception from inventors that our cost for patent related services are high when on average they are lower than typical patent firms. Some inventors compare our services to DIY related websites or companies that don’t use licensed patent practitioners to file patents.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
There are companies who advertise aggressively that appear to be misleading inventors into purchasing patent services from non-licensed patent practitioners or patent practitioners based in another country. The services are marked up significantly and don’t appear to be disclosed prominently which gives the appearance of taking advantage of ill-informed consumers.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about your company?
We are a family-owned business with employees who care deeply about the quality of the service we provide inventors.
Has your business received any awards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
We are an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating with over 1,000 ISSUED patents obtained for clients through the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
How has your company grown or evolved?
We continue to grow and evolve daily to provide better quality service and faster turnaround times for our clients demonstrated by our new multi-device friendly, responsive websites with cutting edge 3D virtual prototypes and graphics.

For Sale by Inventor Company Information