EarthLink

EarthLink

3.8/5 (528 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I paid a bill on time in January. Because of an error on their end my services were disconnected as though I hadn’t made a payment. I then was charged a $200 early termination fee, which I also paid. I was assured this would be refunded once they got the account straightened out. Long story short: a month has gone by, no one will return my calls, I have been told it is impossible for me to reach the escalation department directly and I just have to keep waiting for their calls, and despite all of the notes on this issue in my account they have disconnected my services again.

Meanwhile my children have had to miss school because of this because is still partially remote learning. I have zero faith in this company, in their legitimacy or business practices, or their customer service. I would never recommend them to anyone. Over the years I’ve had AT&T as well as Comcast. While they weren’t always the easiest to deal with, either of those companies far exceed the customer service of EarthLink. This company is absolutely horrible.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Yall have got some of the dumbest customer service reps I have ever had to deal with. I have had service with Earthlink for over 2 years and these idiots want to collect my money for the bill and then turn my service off 2 weeks later and when I call they tell me, "Yes we got your money and it was our mistake and we will turn your service back on within 24 hours." Well 2 weeks later I call because they are not turning it on. "Oh we need to verify your address. The same address you have had for over 2 years." Well they give me a new install date. I have argued with these people for over a month now. I just told them to cancel. I only rate them a 1 star because they don't have a zero button.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I've had the email service only, for two accounts, since the 1980's. It started as my dialup internet provider, then evolved to email only as I switched to cable internet provider. Because we are lazy and the fee was small, we kept the email service for a long time (years). They finally increased the monthly subscription fee to a threshold that prompted me to close the account. Took 5 tries: 1st - system problems, call back later; 2, 3, 4 attempts put on long hold with disconnect at the end; 5 - success but I had to aggressively insist that I not be put on hold. Customer Service sucked. Email service ok.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Earthlink customer service is contracted to South Africa; making communication very difficult. Earthlink DOES NOT provide direct communication to its Georgia based corporate office. The corporate number on Earthlink's website directs you back to South Africa. Communication with Earthlink's customer service is extremely frustrating due to cultural communication problems & their use of false promises.

Main problem is when I signed up for Earthlink's Internet Service & I paid $79.95 to be able to schedule an installation date, I requested a internet service contract to ensure I had legal support for everything we agreed to on our phone calls; monthly cost of service, beginning/end date of service contract, early termination fees, the type of service & equipment Earthlink would be providing me, etc. The South African customer service seemed SURPRISED I was asking to receive & approve a legal contract. Four days passed & I was still getting the run-around about receiving a contract agreement from them.

After 4 days, I informed them I do not do financial business without a legal contract, & since they were unable to provide me with one, I was no longer wanted them as my internet provider. I requested that they send me an email confirming my cancellation & that my $79.95 installation payment would be refunded. South African customer service COULD NOT provide me with a confirmation cancellation email.

Earthlink's South African customer service assured me my account was cancelled & my refund of $79.95 would be credited back to my account. I have serious doubt they will give my $79.95 installation fee back. I have notified American Express & opened up a dispute against Earthlink's $79.95 charge to my account. Only time will tell if I ever get my money back. If you want to do business with Earthlink & their UNSCRUPULOUS & DECEPTIVE South African customer service/sales team, do so at your OWN RISK. Don't say I didn't warn you against doing business with Earthlink who appears to do business WITHOUT legal contracts & leave you legally exposed. BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

The apartments I was living in caught fire so how, so I tried to get the wifi switched to the other apartment, but same apartments. Earthlink didn't wanna hook it up at new place. They waved it, and took it back. So I went with someone else. Come to find out the following month, EarthLink took two-hundred and 12 dollars out of my account. And they don't wanna give my money back to me. So please if anyone is thinking about getting this wifi, don't. They will scam you!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

The sales rep did not mention that I need a LAN port in order to use the device. I assumed it had a coax connection, as most modems do. They wasted my time & money, paid an unrefundable $40 for expedited shipping for no reason. This company had potential to be very good, except for their sneaky sales reps trying to reach their quotas.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

After homelessness for about 10 months I relocated back to Jacksonville FL. As a Veteran it was difficult losing everything but not my faith. I had recently moved from another complex that offered their own internet service. I decided to try out EarthLink & it was the most horrific experience. It appears the reps aren’t US based & that’s a major issue. I moved into a bigger unit just before Christmas. EarthLink wasn’t able to complete my order prior to Christmas or the weekend. I had to use my mobile hotspot just to have some tv services. EarthLink had me scheduled that Monday to install the new service. I waited but no technician showed up.

I called their customer service only to get horrible customer service. I requested to cancel my service & reached out to customer service. I explained my issues to the agent but was advised if cancelled they would hit me for a $200 cancellation fee. I didn’t feel that was fair especially that it was their error. I will never use this service again!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have been an Earthlink user for years, even back when they were dial-up, Mindspring, Sprynet etc. After sharing their cable with Spectrum, they announced that they were severing that relationship, I elected to go with their "hyperlink" service. Installation was done by Frontier, and they supplied the modem. Now, I HAVE TO REBOOT THE MODEM EVERY DAY. Not happy with this frustration. This means that some time every night the service shuts down and automatic updates from Microsoft Windows have to wait until booting up. Not to mention the inconvenience.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I live out of state and wanted to start up DSL internet service at our new property in Vail AZ. Purchased a DSL modem from EarthLink for $200, which appears to be dead. It has a warranty... But they wouldn't replace it without attempting to do some trouble-shooting first (a reasonable request....). But despite spending multiple HOURS on-line listening to recordings saying how sorry they were that we were on hold for so long, and how much our business meant to them... we never could get anyone to talk to to set up the troubleshooting session that THEY requested (the one time we actually DID get a person to talk to). Enough is enough. Basically this outfit has no functional tech support, as near as I can tell.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

There is no "worst" for this company, they hired a huge customer support team from India and South Africa to so-called "support you". But in reality, they are just buying the internet bandwidth from AT&T, it's like a reseller branded as a "internet service provider". They don't own anything, any infrastructure except for customer support. The customer support also call AT&T technical support to support them. So if any problems, they can't solve it at all from the "EarthLink" end, horrible right?

No, not yet. The worst is their agents lie about speeds, when you sign up, they will tell you your speed is 50-1000 at least. but mine is 23MB max. not even close to 50. Bad enough? Not yet. They set up a contract of 12month to lure you in, so you'll find out they suck, of course they know they suck, so they will collect your $200 early cancelling fee. Worst enough? NOT YET. Their agents won't even bother to save you as a client. They will cancel for you immediately if you request because they know they'll collect the $200 fee anyway, plus, they don't really have a company company, it's just bunch of telephone marketers. Choose them, you'll either regret or regert more.

EarthLink Company Information