Cox Internet
1.54/5

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

529 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I pay for top tier internet service, but I may as well have dial up from 1998. Inconsistent, choppy, slow internet service is what I have. I've called to troubleshoot and the best they can tell me is to reset my modems and devices. Or charge me to send out a technician to troubleshoot the service. Tech comes out, the service works fine for the ten minutes he's here (which I am inclined to think is not a coincidence), and then it's back to shoddy. I'm not a technician, or an internet specialist. I pay for service so that I can open my devices and enjoy the service that I pay for, at the speed I pay for.

I shouldn't have to constantly interrupt my work or reset my devices (which often doesn't even fix the speed issues) just to get what I pay for. This, and the fact that they don't really care to address the issues, I remember now, is why I left Cox years ago, and why I will be leaving them again as soon as I get out from under the contract they use to hold their customer's hostage.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent -- high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Avoid this company at all costs. I have been having connection issues since April, it is now October 17th. I can't even maintain a 6Mbps upload, only hitting about 3-4 Mbps. I'm paying for 30Mbps upload speed. I have had 16 technician visits, 2 FCC complaints, and ZERO bill credits. Cox representatives have told me they cannot issue a bill credit until the problem is resolved. However, every time I call they start the process over with a brand-new trouble ticket. So every tech that shows up says "the problem isn't in your house" and leaves. On Cox's recommendation, I have now purchase THREE new modems and replaced all of the wiring in my house. Still no resolution.

I'm paying for the fastest bandwidth package, WITH unlimited data, WITH the "Complete Care Plan". $130/month for a connection that doesn't function properly. If you live in an area that ONLY offers Cox Internet (like I do) -- Move. Find a city with an ISP that cares about their products and customers. Go with a Fiber connection! I will never live somewhere that only has Cox again. This connection issue directly affects my home business and side job, and the internet problems have eaten into my business as well as equipment costs.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Their service is horrible, they continually want more money every year as their service gets worse and worse... Their internet and Cable TV take turns going out during prime time hours when you're home and want to enjoy the service you're paying for... Truly not a well oiled machine but a rust bucket of junk... I DO NOT RECOMMEND them to anyone...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I really recommend not going with Cox. Their support service is crap. I just got off the phone arguing with one of them. All I wanted to do was get rid of what I have and get an internet plan but she kept saying that this crap I'm paying for $160 for is the better plan. It has a phone service I don't even use and really no channels. Cox you really need to upgrade your support service. I should not be fighting trying to fix my own plan. Never again will I go back to this crap company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The service is spotty at best, and their prices are ridiculous. Internet was down most of Jun, Jul & half of Aug. No email! There is NO OTHER BROADBAND COMPANY IN MY AREA, SO I AM STUCK WITH THESE CROOKS! I PAY FOR SERVICES THAT I DON'T GET! Please take some action! Someone start a class action suit, and sue these **! The email is down again, and I cannot communicate until I fax everyone a brand new email address, and that is a lot of people. If this affects my credit score, I shall seek legal action against Cox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I pay for Cox Internet Ultimate. 300 download and 30 upload. I have never seen my download speed go over 180 and my upload speed is always in the very low 20s. Days with 15 are common. This is problematic to me as I stream online video games professionally 24/7. They get away with not having the speeds they advertise by putting “up to” and “speeds not guaranteed” in the fine print. The FCC rates their internet speeds at 80%. Comcast is 100% and Xfinity is 90%. With Cox you pay twice as much for what is advertised as half the speed but is actually much closer to 1/4 of the speed as you would with other companies. I have talked to a customer service person today named Joan ** on the app who really helped me. I got discounts for the outages since it interferes with my work. I would not recommend this service as you are overpaying for the speeds they advertise but don’t actually follow through on.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Long story short, I bought my house in 2004 in Santee CA, Cox cable was the only service available at that time, had the service with all channels except the movie ones (HBO, Showtime, etc) and standard internet. I started noticing connectivity issues were beginning to get more frequent about 5 yrs. or so ago. Last year a neighbor decided to try DirecTV that is connected with AT&T and said it was much better than Cox, so we decided to give them a try. The AT&T internet service was horrible and we ended up canceling that and going back to Cox with the upgraded Panoramic service of 300 mbps/30 mbps. After the initial installment we had outstanding performance from it.

After approximately 3 months or so, it started to have connectivity issues here and there and has gotten to a point of ridiculous! I started calling Cox in April to get the problem resolved. I think I am on call # 12 or 14, their tech support has been out here at least 5 times, as of today I am on the 3rd cable box and 3 hours after they came out today and replaced the box, the internet service dropped down to 7mbps/12mbps per the Cox speed test!!! This is the constant problem. They have replaced ALL CABLES from the street to my house and all cables within my house, each time the speed test is back up to (or within a few points) of what I am paying for 300mbps/30 mbps at the completion of the service call. Only to last for a few hours and at most a few days!!!

I called the Cox Cable desk that can make adjustments to the bill over $20 and explained the issues and said I wanted to be credited for the time my service has not worked to the "normal/expected" limit that I am being billed for, as I am paying for more service than I have been receiving. The "customer service"person 1st told me I haven't called enough to complain about it, then asked me to do a speed test while on phone with her, I told her it was 9.1 mbps/17 mbps immediately before I called and it was at 12mbps/20 mbps on the call. Her response was "oh, it's better now, that's great! And the service is UP TO THE 300/30, it's NOT A GUARANTEE! I got irritated with her and made a sarcastic comment in which she told me there was no need for. I asked her to look up my account and tell me how many calls were showing, she said April, July, Aug., 4 calls made in Sept., and 2 so far in Oct., apparently that is not excessive to her.

She then said that the comments did not say it was a COX issue, after I explained AGAIN what the techs had done, she then told me Cox would NOT give me a credit until the issue has been resolved. So I am to continue to pay for a service that I am not receiving until they decide the problem is resolved. Which by the way is resolved after each service call/visit. I do not understand how this is "customer service" and why I am not able to get a credit up to today? I have called a min. of 9 times with a min. 4 visits to my house in the last 6 months, and STILL HAVE ISSUES!!!

It is obvious to me that there is a problem with Cox connection. Is this normal? Maybe my expectations are above the standard to expect to get what you pay for. I am not getting any resolutions, only wasted time to both myself and the techs that come here and tell me they tested the equipment, lines to and from my house, the boxes on street, the pole, etc. replaced all the cables and then retests system after they complete the work while still in my house that reads service is up to the limit I am paying for, so they leave. But the connectivity at the correct level lasts less than 48 hrs. Each time I call, I go thru the exact same circle jerk. What has happened with the industry and the Cox Cable service across the board? I am so frustrated and disappointed with this, my only option is to cancel service and take them to court.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Alex Taylor has no empathy for people who are lower than the middle class, I feel he should sympathize for the disabled and retire from his throne or be overthrown from his position and get a real job. Get your hands dirty humankind! TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

When I was trying to obtain information about the total I had to pay the very first month, they specifically told me all I had to pay was $40.00 I asked and confirm if that was all. They affirmed. Now, they're charging me the double $80.00 because of some deposit, first time charges and taxes. My only issue is that they gave me a completely different information since the beginning. They are such a liars.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I live in San Tan Valley AZ, paying for 300 meg download /30 upload... Everything works fine at night, but soon as the sun come up and internet traffic get heavy my connection drops to nothing. 20 meg download, and only 1 meg upload if I am lucky. Have a brand new computer/new router/new modem... Every time I call to complain they try and upsell me a service or want to send a tech out, and if they say it's inside my house it 75 bucks.

At first 2 months ago it was the service just dropping off, and they claimed they were working on the repair and it would be 4 hours or more, but the last few weeks it has been an everyday thing... I call and complain... I knew it wasn't my modem, but out of frustration I bought a new one even better than I had and the exact same problem, agreed to have a tech come out, and voila my connection goes back to normal... I then call to cancel the tech, and within mins. the problem is back... I do NOT TRUST COX CABLE anymore.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We have been having issues with 4 technicians coming to our home and not resolving our internet and cable issues. When Felipi arrived I said, "not another one" but with confidence said he will take care of us. In minutes he fixed the problem. And knew exactly what he was doing. Never had we had someone like Felipi. Thank you so much. We are very pleased with your work from Cox. Definitely requesting him again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Cox internet is slower than AT&T lite on my phone. The download speed does not come close to what you pay for. You cannot watch YouTube or video from Amazon without endless interruptions and banners saying “not enough bandwidth”.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

So I have been a loyal COX customer for 4 years and this how they thank me. They just double the amount of my bill, trying to find out why and they tell me my offer expired. What offer??? Had no idea I was on any offer? My gym membership doesn't just double, my phone bill doesn't double, no other bill doubles but COX. Now I have call prove I am loyal and maybe they will, grant me a new offer. Not sure but seems like a backwards way to treat those who pay their bills on time and stay with a company. Just spoke to the loyalty dept. They were rude, gave me the only option is now $47 up from $39 and basically their attitude is, "Take it or leave it, we don't care."

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Cox Loyalty service is too scripted. They need to be all more flexibility to better retain customers who have a track record of paying on time. I cancelled immediately when they said they won't offer me any discount although I've been their customer for two plus years. This is especially poor given there's direct competition in Verizon Fios in my area. Just goes to show you that Cox would rather lose a customer than give a rate that's slightly more than their current promotional rate.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Cox Customer in Arizona. Love their internet. Super poor customer service. They say they have no notes on two different calls. I would recommend recording calls, if it is legal in your state. I spoke to a representative (Feb 2018) about adding phone service, I did not get a chance to add it. The call was interrupted and I decided I'd call back another day. A few months later (June 18) I noticed that I had phone service on my bill. No big deal, especially since it was on a promotion that caused no additional charge. I just didn't know my new phone number and had the service for a few months without utilizing it. So I tried hooking up a phone didn't work.

I called Cox, they couldn't successfully troubleshoot my issues remotely they said they send a tech and it would cost me $75. I tried to make my case that it should be free, with loyalty retention. They talked me into adding Cox Complete Care service. They did keep for 3 months and cancel it. It would be cheaper than the tech visit, which was "included" in the Cox Complete care. So they get phone set up. I'm happy

So lo and behold, my next bill has an installation fee under the category "one time Charges and Credits" I call, find out it is for the tech that was sent to my house and called it a service install not a technical support visit. So the manager says it is not covered under Cox Complete Care. I played parts of my recorded phone call from June to supervisor. He said they would pull the call from their system and listen and then see if it would warrant a credit. I told manager if I find any other service provider I would discontinue my business with Cox, the manager "Adam" said it was understandable. He offered no attempt to make the inconvenience right nor try to retain me as a customer. I guess they get enough business they don't really care if their customers are satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Cox Cable in southeast Louisiana - as in many places - is a monopoly, thanks to the Republicans (research it if you don't believe me). With a monopoly you get lousy service and high prices. Our latest experience - a week of internet outage, four tech visits (with their 2 or 3 our "windows" when you're compelled to wait at home), terrible attitude and incompetence and outright lying from several of the techs. One explained that Cox uses two service companies and some of the techs will do a cursory job on one like mine because they want to get to a "more lucrative" one elsewhere. Meanwhile, the hapless customer service types on the phone just go through their call list, which is infuriating when you have to recount the issue over and over and over on calls that go on, no exaggeration, for an hour or more.

When I asked to speak to someone senior about the saga, the customer care girl put onto "supervisor" who said she was called "Lindsay" (located in Idaho) but refused to give a last name (though they have mine) and said "we don't offer callbacks". Just crap. Don't even want to know how crap their service is. And we have no real alternative. Thanks to Republicans, who - don't be fooled - are corporatists not free traders and they care only about who pays them more not average citizens.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Internet was constantly going in and out. Called Cox and the recording suggested I use the NEW Texting services. After an hour and a half I was told to I needed to get a new modem. Drove 30 mins one way to get a new one. Was told when I picked it up I would have to call tech support to install it. Drove 30 mins home. Was on the phone with tech support for an additional hour and half for them to tell me that they would now have to schedule a tech to come out and it will be A $75 charge. I still don’t have internet services. Now I have an additional charge as well as wasted 4 hours of my day!! Worst customer service and worst company! Can’t believe they treat customers like this...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Our monthly bill is $100 and we pay it on time every month. But, the Panoramic Internet has outages every day from 4 to 8 hrs in intervals of 30 to 40 minutes. Streaming on Netflix for movies is so frustrating. The technicians (2) have told us several possible problems after both checked the box outside the apt. for loose cables. They also advised us to have it checked by the maintenance, which they did. They found nothing wrong. Still we have outages. Cox Cable once gave quality services. What happened? And we have also encountered the ballooning bill each month. We've had to go and complain numerous times. It's ridiculous. Once we were told by a representative at the store that our bill would be for $105.00 for basic cable and internet, then the email came & showed up for $126.00.

We again went to Cox store and got the same young lady which told us she could not change it. She just left it like that. We went to cancel it and they convinced us to continue and they let us have panoramic internet at $106 a month. Still we continue with outages. Please help us. We are on a fixed income. Pretty soon we will have to cancel all Cox services, since we are paying for outages. I cannot use my laptop or Netflix. What a shady company. Someone should investigate this matter. From other reviews it looks like every Cox customer is being robbed because of scammers that take advantage.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

In July 2018 my bill for internet and TV went up from 129.10 a month to over 189.00 a month. I called Cox Communications and a representative arranged to lower my bill to 133.00+ (some change) with a new twelve month agreement. I agreed but had to pay 147.73 in August due to the amount being prorated. Today August 31, 2018 I logged into my Cox account and saw that the bill was still 147.73. when I expected to see the new lower amount of 133.00.

I called Cox Communications and was told by a new representative that I had been "misinformed" by the previous representative. He also said he couldn't see what she and I had discussed and agreed to as the conversation was not logged on my account (Apparently they don't keep notes of "this type of conversation" with customers). He offered to give me a 5.00 discount but ONLY if I agreed to a TWO YEAR CONTRACT. I told him I had already agreed to a one year contract at the 133.00+ price but of course there's no record of THAT!

I told him I would pay this month but next month I would no longer be a customer of Cox Communications. They have done the same thing to my 90 year old mother whose bill has gone up to over 189.00 a month. She is forced to keep internet in her "bundle" when she's never used a computer or cell phone in her life but she's been told that if she dropped internet her bill would be over 200.00 a month (for less service!!).

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We live in an area where Cox has a monopoly on both internet and cable services. The only other company in our town is CenturyLink, and their service area is so small that it is only an option for very few people. We only have internet in our house to avoid breaking the bank. Our current contract is $80 a month for the highest internet speed, but as a family of four that uses our internet for gaming, Netflix, and college courses online, we usually end up over the data cap for the month and have to pay extra. Some months we end up paying over $100 JUST for internet service. The price is ridiculous, but since I am working toward a degree online and don't have other options for service, there is no way around this expense.

Personally, I would be fine paying a good amount for internet if the service was worth the cost. With Cox, this is not the case. We are constantly dealing with connection issues. Our modem disconnects multiple times a day, and resetting the modem doesn't seem to have any effect on this problem. Cox has told us the modem/router are the problem and they offer to replace them any time we call with an issue - for which they charge $20 for a service fee and $55 for installation, even though we install it ourselves. We have called to try to argue the installation fee, and were told it was non-negotiable. They have replaced our modem/router twice and our current modem is less than 6 months old, but Cox still insists that the equipment is the problem. I am guessing this is just a way to gouge us for more money since doing so obviously hasn't fixed any of our issues.

I will say that the internet speed is good, on the rare occasions when we can actually connect and stay connected to the internet for longer than 10 minutes.

I think Cox is just making so much money off of temporary fixes or non-fixes that they don't want to put any effort into providing a good service for their customers. If you can provide sub-par service and make a ton of money off customers having issues with it, why bother improving the service to actually benefit your customers, right?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I am not one to write negative reviews, but I spent two hours being transferred between different departments to help address my internet concerns. Most of the reps were pleasant, but lacked the knowledge to help me. Then, I got transferred to a woman who would not listen to what I had to say - despite the fact that I had been on the phone for two hours and perfectly understood that I needed a new Cable Contour box. After I relayed to her what the other representatives said I needed to do to complete my work order, she said, “You are ineligible to receive this equipment. I don’t know why.” and hung up the phone on me. Terrible phone service. I called back (thank god I received a different person) and she gave me the proper information to fix my internet connection within a few minutes. Constructive feedback: If a person is not being impatient and rude to you, you should not be impatient and rude to them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Internet keeps turning off. They called it high traffic, but I am paying for the speed that they don't provide. Serviceman came in said modem needs to be changed. My wife picked it up from store and I installed it. They charged me $20 for service and $55 for installation even I am the one who installed it. Have to call them wasting my time, they made me angry as they continue insisting on the charges. Finally they took the charges for the SERVICE THEY DIDN'T PROVIDE off. Had to argue a lot to get little credit. THIS COX MONOPOLY HAS TO STOP.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We don't have internet since noontime and now it's 8 pm. They keep delaying it, thanks to San Marcos, CA politicians that let only one cable company for each area without competition so they charge us more and don't give good service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Cox is fine for the first two years - but yes your bill continues to grow somehow... my first two bills were paid and never credited to my account which caused me to always be behind; and I never addressed it because I absolutely CANNOT stand dealing with any service providers. Plus, I had a newborn, so I really didnt give a flying two **... till I had time to actually be human again after that first year ---- so that too contributes to my stupid bill. Moving on, I thought that my bill was high at 200-400 depending on whatever damage I did on those days or nights when you just say, "...it," and rent that movie you'll never admit you wanted to see.

Nevertheless, The point is they are terrible for your pocket and customer service put it where the sun don't shine... if you want a real person to actually help you and not ** you over, ask for a tech support. They may not be able to fix your issue on the spot but they will get someone there without a service or tech charge because it's the right thing to do.

OH yeah. So for two years I have a landline that I never knew about and when I did finally buy a house phone and used it was the day I got my 600.00 cable bill plus phone charge... go ** figure - Yes I called and politic-ed my way all the way up to corp to fix my bill and bundle me back to reality. What a joke - 4 hrs and refunded 40.00 and my bill is now half my ** rent. I said, "Well hello, it's 109.00 sign up package for the exact same thing I have. Why don't I just say peace out and resign" -- rep replied, "We have a 4 month ban on customers who leave and reapply after they can't find a service provider out where you are or homeowners association rules on bulky dish devices are not to be visible and then are under to comeback will be turned away."

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

$10 extra a month is worth it to not have contract. Friends told me Cox was a terrible company to deal with but they are the only internet available for my zip code. I signed up for services 18hrs ago and have already had to deal with customer service twice. I marked for equipment to be mailed to me, then within 10 minutes received an email telling me my equipment was ready to be picked up. When I called customer service the representative kept confusing herself on whether I was going to pick the product up or if she could mail it to me. Luckily she did get it sent to me and I received it in the morning.

My equipment was a coax cable and instructions on self installation, because I have a compatible modem and elected for self-installation. I could not establish internet connection, so followed the instructions on my self-installation guided and went to www.cox.com/activate. The webpage told me I do not have access to self-install. So I again contacted customer service. The representative told me I need to register my equipment. Why was that not a listed step on my instructions then? Not even 24hr in so I can only imagine how poorly this company truly operates.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This company continues to get worse with customers. Two years ago, I signed up with Cox in Tucson, AZ. We moved to the East Coast two months ago. I cancelled service but still had their modem, for which they wanted to charge me $122.00. I called up billing and they told me to bring it to any Cox store. The rep knew I was in Virginia. "Great," he said. So, I went to the local store, waited an hour to be told they cannot take it back. I left the modem at the store. The store people were rude and short with me. They had not the slightest interest in helping me. Hell will freeze over before I ever do business with them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

The worst, this company is responsible for stealing your money, install the service and with two days of service I have been calling them to fix all my problems.

I started with a service that cost $ 199 but went up to 206$ then 243$ and now is 398$ and without the channels that I like and order, I have panoramic wifi that does not work. I have to use the hotspot of my cell phone to use my computer or tablet, now my bill is $398 and it has not been a month. Whenever I call they tell me they will fix it, they will submit a form and I have to wait five days, I went to the store to see if I can get some help and I was told not to call customer service because they do not know what they are doing. Now I have to wait for the other form to be accepted so I do not have to pay the $398. I regret install their service.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Do not let the technician in your house! Never give your Social Security Number ever or have them do a background check on you ever. Do not rent their equipment or they will run a credit report on you. Once you have them run a credit report you will get third party advertisements like crazy. First I wanted to add after reading most of your one star comments that some of you need to grow a pair of balls when you’re talking to these companies. These companies are setup to sell, sell, sell! So do not blame them for pushing you to buy more! When they answered the phone I told them exactly what I want! No TV just Internet! They tried to say they have a package. I said, “Sorry I do not watch TV.” I do watch TV but not the way they want me to watch TV. I watch TV on my own time when I want to anywhere I want to. Do not let these companies dictate what you should have or what you should not have!

RESEARCH!!! The internet is at your fingertips so go research because if you don't yeah it’s going to cost you a lot of money in the long run for being ignorant. 2nd: Buy your own 300mbps (Mega Bytes Per Second) Modem, be careful in buying a 100mbps modem or you will not be able to upgrade to a higher internet, There is a 1000mbps aka 1gbps (Gigabytes per second) usually for small business or famous streamers that have a lot of followers but if that is the case move to California instead of paying a fortune in internet because all streamers get better connection on the West Coast.

Now the modem you buy might not have a all in one wifi, mine are two devices, I prefer to not have an all in one device because these are electronics and modems run hot so if you have the modem burning up with the wifi trying to communicate out with a signal you would imagine they would work from extensive testing. But unfortunately natural PHYSICS does not allow it because heat produces microwaves and when you have a microwave next to your phone guess what happens? Interference!

So I suggest you buy the 300mbps modem on Amazon with Amazon prime that way if you get a bad one you can freely return it. Third: Buy a WiFi Router or aka Wireless Router. I suggest NETGEAR since they have been leading the way in gaming routers lately, anything that is good for gaming is great for anything else because gaming requires 24 hour of productivity depending if your bread and butter is streaming to the masses. I currently have the triband Nighthawk (READ UP WHAT IS TRIBAND ROUTER AND SINGLE BAND) which costed me on Black Friday $75 but the original price was $230, Yeah you won’t see those prices anymore that was like 3 years ago.

Triband routers have three different managed connections, I have all the cell phones connected to the first, My laptop on the second and my son’s Xbox and the 4K TV on the third, meaning that you will not have internet lag called bottlenecking where the information is going slow due to too many devices connected at one time, even if your single and or only have one device I suggest to upgrade to a triband it will be your best purchase! If you have the money go for the latest nighthawk! You will not be disappointed. They have a wizard that sets up your whole network for you but if you’re like me a techy there are lots and lots of bells and whistles and even the latest VPN setup so you can remain anonymous to the world.

Fourth: Like the Realtor says LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! The higher the modem and WiFi router the more coverage but if you’re in a single story or a large house then you might need to use a "MESH" system which are additional small devices that plug into the wall outlets in dead zones of your house. For the sake of continuity I mentioned triband WiFi router so in this case I want to get the Netgear triband wireless extenders called "Nighthawk X4S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender" pretty much this will expand your WiFi coverage especially if your router is on one side and the kitchen is in the middle, remember what I said about microwave ovens and electronic or electrical boxes can all cause interference with your WIFI communication,

SMALL STORY: I worked as a electrician helper in my younger years and most of all of you have never seen the skeletal parts of a townhouse, apartments and how they wire these apartments or townhouse. Have you ever noticed only one thick power line goes to one end of the row of townhouse, house or apartment? You do not want your modem and router located next to your electrical box especially if all the electrical wires of everyone apartment is running through your apartment! You see sometimes it is not the internet provider that is to blame but yourself for moving in on the end where there is a lot of magnetic fields running through your living space, me I live in the middle thank God but I could never live near power lines because I am sensitive to electrical fields, I didn't choose to be. It is what it is and they are still trying to figure that science out.

Ok 5th and final: It is out of your control! DO NOT LET THE TECHNICIAN IN YOUR HOME! Once the technician enters your home you will be charged $50 to $60 even if he didn't do anything! I did get my money back but I had to fight them for it and then I thanked them for returning my money. The technician didn't do anything except criticize my modem and router and they are running in perfect condition, so don't let that technician in checking out your personal modem and router. Next do not rent their modems or anything! You do not need to give them your social security number ever! Do not give it to them ever! Hang up and talk to someone else.

Cox has said the customer is always right but if you do not stand your ground they are going to take advantage of you. Right now I only pay $69 a month for $300mbps and I am military so I might be getting a military discount in comparison to some here. Last but not least you must fight with your legislator and government to allow other cable companies to enter your area, the unfortunate truth is that only one cable company owns the lines, it would be redundant to have 3 cable companies running through your walls as three different cables.

So if your government does not have the knowledge on how this system works they will make bad laws and it will favor the monopoly and not the consumer. Sorry for the run on sentences but I wanted to consolidate everything everyone has complained about and easily produce a solution so you will be better equipped to handle them. With that said education is key to your cable experience survival!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. Made a huge mistake of switching to Cox from Verizon because they were offering a promotional deal for internet services. What followed is an absolute nightmare. They cancelled my order for installation last minute without even informing me and stated unless I showed two forms of id personally to the Cox store they would not put me on schedule. Desperately in need of internet, I had no choice but to go the Cox store where they proceeded to check my IDs and then gave me a date of installation. The harassment does not end there.

When I called the number that the Cox store manager himself had provided to confirm the new date of installation, I was told that there was no such order and I was to wait for at least a week more the installation. So now basically they have cancelled my order twice to accomodate other customers behind. No one has bothered to send a confirmation email for the installation let alone an apology for their screw up. They deducted a security deposit and then illegally did an audit then made dire demands to show my id to the Cox store which is far off from my apartment and finally, they pushed my installation without bothering to inform their customer. Disgusting, unethical, inhumane and discriminatory practices!

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs