Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet
Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

PROS

• Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available

CONS

• Prices may increase over time

Top Cox Internet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 adults, I went to preferred. Worked fine except occasional slow loading while all 4 of us were streaming/gaming.

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet Compare Offers

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
  • Cox Internet Essential 50
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150
  • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
  • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
Is Cox internet available in my area?
Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Are Cox bundles available in my area?
Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
Does Cox require a long-term contract?
Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

Cox Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

Original review: July 6, 2020

I'm currently 1hr 27 minutes and 8 seconds on hold. No end in sight. No way to have them call me back. So I'm listening to hold music loop for an hour and a half and counting. Need to make a change to my service move order. When I originally got a call back after filling out an internet form. The guy calling couldn't have been more vague or difficult to get information out of. He asked very open ended questions with no explanation of why he was asking, when I asked why he wanted to know he wouldn't explain. like "What is the latest date you can have service at your current address?" "Why? I'm, moving right now and want service at my new address." Then he said he was putting in disconnect for today.

I said, "WHY? Are you moving my service today." He said "no, but you said you wanted to move service today." "I DO BUT IF YOU CAN'T DO IT THEN DONT DISCONNECT WHAT I DO HAVE!!!" I work from home. Then, he said the new address required a professional install and he would have scheduling contact me to do the install. Then in the same breath told me that due to COVID they weren't doing professional installs but would call me to schedule it.

I asked, "Could I downgrade my service to what was available at the new place?" and he said no because my modem wasn't compatible. I asked if he could send a modem to downgrade service and he said no. So, now I'm waiting on hold for over an hour and a half with no end in sight to arrange a professional install that they apparently don't do. They may or may not be turning off my current service due to asking me questions that I have no idea why they asked. I couldn't give worse customer support if I tried.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I am not one to write reviews, but Cox internet has horrible customer service and crappy internet. They outsource their call centers out of the states, which makes it difficult to get anyone who can understand you. Our internet was down for over 24 hours despite having to work from home and they made us pay extra for basic tech support that the so called tech department was unable to do. We were hung up on multiple times and transferred to multiple departments. Some reps you could hear wind blowing as if they were outside, and other reps you could hear them talking to their coworkers. Cox is highly unprofessional. The only department that helps you is loyalty, but that is because they don't want you to cancel.

After finally figuring out it was the Cox modem that was the issue (which we had bought the day prior) we returned it to the Cox store and even the reps there were rude, disrespectful and had attitude with us. We had to go buy our own store bought modem. It is a horrible, corrupt company that does not care about its customers. If you can avoid Cox do it!!!! We are unable to because they basically have a monopoly over our city... Stupid government laws. We want AT&T in AZ!!!!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Cox communications services have been great overall, but the representatives they employ are the worst. There needs to be more customer service training! Barbara ** is one of the nastiest, Cox representatives that I have came across in a long time. I currently work in property management in Kansas, and Barbara goes around with this prejudice attitude inserting her nose into people’s business that do not concern her. She needs some ethical training, diversity training, and better communication skills. Cox needs to step up an do psychological evaluations on all their representatives, especially the ones that come in and out of other businesses. This is a time in our country where we will not stand for inequality no more!

Original review: June 5, 2020

For a simple change of service address, Cox agents have wasted countless hours of my time giving me the runaround over and over and OVER and OVER! My family (7 households) and I have been loyal Cox customers for an average of 5 years, some even longer. Despite that, I cannot get ANYONE to help me who is even remotely competent. I have spoken to every department they have available and they all either fail terribly at their jobs or they send me on another runaround to other departments. These people are all morons who do not have the skills or intelligence to be working any kind job requiring the ability to handle customers or problem solving.

Because THEIR agents are morons, they tell me I need to have a professional install that will cost me $50. I have a degree in IT, I don't need any of their moron drones in my house, I just need them to connect the outside line that they won't let me do. I have given them multiple chances to rectify all of their mistakes and to get me connected, but after a week and a half of nothing but stressful calls of repeating the same thing over and over to the next moron they send me to, I'm done. This is certainly one of the worst cases of failed customer service I've ever encountered, and they don't care at all that they have failed us on every level. Thanks for nothing Cox, I wish you the worst

Original review: May 29, 2020

We had a modem go bad and our internet kept dropping out. The process to get tech support is to text them because it is "faster response". First of all, they do respond right away, but once you get connected, there is often a 2 minute lag between your response and theirs. It is obvious the agents are working more than one customer at a time. But I could live with that if the service was effective. I tried for 2 days to convince three different techs that my modem needed to be replaced. One tried to upsell me with the Cox Panoramic modem/router. I declined. One tried to tell me that my ethernet wire was bad. After getting off the line with the third tech on the second day, I made a change to my TV service that required taking one of my pieces of equipment to the brick and mortar store.

When I get to the counter, the clerk says "are you here to pick up your modem?" Well, that was a surprise, since none of them had agreed that my modem was bad and needed to be replaced, but I was happy--until I learned that it was the Panoramic WiFi one with a 11.00/month upcharge. I declined, and asked for a standard modem, and took it home. Good, I thought. Then I get home and find a package at the front door.

Cox had sent ANOTHER Panoramic WiFi modem to me, again without my knowledge or permission, trying to get me to pay more for my service. I then installed the modem that I brought home from the store, with the help of a live person on the other end of the phone call. Internet fixed, BUT I forgot to check the land line (provided by Cox in same modem) until this morning. No phone. They had set up the modem incorrectly at the home office. Bottom line, a terrible experience with tech support. There are a few good agents, but it is sad that I had to deal with so many to finally get results.

Original review: May 26, 2020

5/26 Spoke to Diana in the Loyalty Department. She was argumentative, spoke over me, and refuted to credit the plan change and early termination fee (I never canceled their services). I was told when I initially changed my plan due to my low income and illness during COVID-19 that I would not be charged these fees due to the fact my high school student and 2 college students needed COX’s online services, as I am low income and quality for their low income plan for my students and myself. COX advertised $19 internet for low income families with students in San Marcos and refused to give me that plan. My bill is over $1000 in fees that they refuse to credit me. Pula Retentions Supervisor said they can’t credit over $200 and can only submit a request for any further fees, therefore I am responsible for all remaining fees.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Cox Comunications has been my provider since 1998. I have never experienced such horrible service or treatment during this pandemic. They are treating their business as a monopoly on high speed internet service, they are charging over double the amount for internet services and putting caps on customer data all because they have lost so many cable customers and their digital phone service is almost prehistoric; with the cellular era. What is really upsetting is that not everyone has been allowed to go back to work and Cox is just shutting off service without prior notice at the end of 60 day past due on just one month of service and forcing you to pay multiple months of service to get turned back on, This is a bullying technique of doing business and I am appalled at how they are programing their systems this way.

If customer service is not allowed to make any decisions, and they are only being run by the system, you don't human customer service representatives. Especially if they are unable to provide customer service without the system. It's flat out corporate greed being programmed into their systems at Cox Communications; which goes for internet, cable, and telephone. It's times like this when you what companies and or corporations are doing in reality to help their customers. It's more like where's my money? We are shutting you down after 20 plus years of loyal business until we have our money for a couple months of service during the pandemic. Just makes me sick.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Working from home during this pandemic, we rely heavily on our internet service. The first day our internet service was down, Cox kept promising several repair times, so we kept pushing our conferences up. On day 2, Cox continued to promise several repair times and we lost over $350 by day 3. We were promised $350 in credit by Cox (a recorded chat session proves this) which was never inputted into their system. Cox replies with, "We can give you a $41." It was explained to Cox that we are on the frontlines of this COVID epidemic and this is a severe blow to our potential acquisition of protective equipment for our hospitals. Cox responded with, "We understand and apologize, however we cannot provide any more than the $41 credit." At this time, we are boycotting Cox due to their careless attitude towards the healthcare industry.

Original review: May 3, 2020

Cox, given their technological limitations, is ok on delivery of their internet service. Everything else, takes me back 10 years when no one in their industry cared about their image. What does this mean? It means as long as you don't have a problem, you won't know anything is wrong, however there is definitely something rotten in Atlanta.

Had issues with speed and reliability. We pay for highest personal internet speed. Telephone agent recommended router swap (we rent from COX, so no cost). After our mode/router swap, sure enough problem fixed. BTW we pay for unlimited data too. Challenge came in returning 6 year old modem/router. Took to local COX store in Tempe AZ. (Was at beginning of Coronavirus, lines with spacing, out the door.) Got to counter, turned in old router and got new router, no receipt. Clerk says, 'don't worry, we are very busy, we'll make sure its recorded in our system'. Feeling generous, and stupid. I said OK. This month's bill, charged $150 for lost router and $100 for professional installation?! Texted via chat, no refund, not even for install. Have I learned nothing from the past 10 years? These are very, very bad and morally bankrupt people. What will we do? Nothing. There is no other solution. They are a monopoly.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I had to shut down my travel agency in Arizona due to COVID and when I called Cox to cancel their service, they told me I had to pay them close to $6,000 for a simple internet connection. Over a year ago, one of my employees complained about slow speed so I told them to call Cox to increase the speed. By doing so, they automatically said I renewed a contract, which I had never signed, for another 5 years. When I had to close my doors due to COVID, they sent me a bill saying I owed them nearly $6,000 in early termination fees. I've already lost my business, and now I have to deal with these crooks. They should be ashamed of themselves. Taking advantage of a small business closing due to COVID is just plain wrong.

Cox Internet Company Information