Cox Internet

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

3.7/5 (496 ratings)

About Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

Pros

• Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available

Cons

• Prices may increase over time

Bottom Line

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

Top Cox Internet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 ...

Verified

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal suppo...

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
  • Cox Internet Essential 50
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150
  • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
  • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
Is Cox internet available in my area?
Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Are Cox bundles available in my area?
Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
Does Cox require a long-term contract?
Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

Cox Internet Reviews

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I love that my internet provider is Cox now. When I had century link it was always so slow and never provided me with the coverage amount of upload and download I paid for. Now that I have Cox I am able to work from home and be connected at 100 percent rate. Having this service provider helps me feel safe and secure that all of my home smart devices and electronics will be connected always.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Usually works but at peak hours it can be slowed. Bandwidth is almost 1/2 what they brag about but it still the fastest in the area. I prefer to use my own modem and router and have improved upon their equipment. Buying it myself has paid off 3X over. No really is no other choice in my area.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Their customer service reps lie for no reason at all, damn shame. I don't have any problems with my service though which is a very good thing for my money. I have been with Cox since 2017 and I have only once asked or requested to speak with someone in the locality dept. Cox Cable is good but very expensive.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

We are a streaming household with 4 people who are home all day long. Our internet is hardwired and dependable. We never have outages or traffic issues with Cox Unlimited. My grandson does live gaming on his Xbox, my daughter watches YouTube or reads on Kindle, I watch reality TV, and my husband watches his History Channel. Usually all at the same time. Or we have movie night on HBO Max as a family.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I've been using Cox WiFi for my internet needs for about a year now, I had some problems in the beginning, but that is all fixed now, and I've had nothing but great service, and nothing wrong with the router since the beginning of when I first got the router, it was a splitter that needed replacing, I had the plan where it didn't cost me anything to have the tech come and fix it, and I believe that Cox had pretty good customer service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

From the first day I got this service it has been a terrible experience. I had to change routers three times because they kept giving me broken ones. The Wi-Fi would constantly cut out and stop working. I moved and explained that I needed to have wiring installed in my apartment and needed some one to come out to do it. I set up an appointment and Cox didn’t show up. I set up another appointment and had to wait a month for them to come out. They sent out the wrong person so he couldn’t perform the job that the appointment was for. I called cox and had to wait 5 hours for them to tell me that I have to wait another 2 weeks to get my Wi-Fi. By then I would have waited two months for Wi-Fi because they can’t keep their appointments and send the right people out for the job. Cox is a terrible service and if I could find another Wi-Fi service in Norfolk I would have switched four months ago when I first got cox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

After being highly recommended Cox internet service we got rid of our previous provider to switch to Cox. After speaking to the service person I asked about HBO Max being included. He said it was and to ask the service technician for the information when he came out to connect the internet. Well, I asked the service technician and he said he had nothing to do with that department. I have since spoke to 3 different people and first time was unable to create an email, second call I was transferred to a department that was closed, and third time was told I had to have cable service to get HBO. Before I agreed via phone for the internet service I specifically asked if HBO Max would be included. This agreement should be honored. Voice calls are supposedly recorded. They can listen to that phone call and see that this agreement was made with their employee.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

If you are going to charge extra for faster speeds (500mbps) then you need to increase the data caps. The data cap of 1280 GB is arbitrary and pointless. I've been charged $100 extra for my data going over. Customer service does not give A ** and most of the reps are not even in the USA/Canada/Mexico. Cheap company that abuses their geographical monopoly.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Cox has a poor reputation in our small town. Unfortunately there is no other competition. We had one issue, where they had to come out three times in order to resolve it. Other than that, we haven't had too many complaints, personally. Except that they are quite expensive.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

We had to upgrade our internet speed because we stream movie and play games on our phones. So we upgraded to the second highest speed internet with COX. However we pay $83.00 a month for it. We feel that the price for high speed internet is high for what we get.

Cox Internet Company Information