Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My mother (who passed away in September) had Cox TV, phone & internet. I cancelled the service and returned the modem and cable box to the Cox store. I was told there might be a final payment due and I told them to send me the bill and I’d take care of it. Weeks go by... Then over two months, and no bill. I figured there was nothing more due after all. Then yesterday I got a notice forwarded to me from the new tenant in Mom’s house. It’s an invoice from a collection agency demanding payment for the bill plus additional collection fee. I returned to the Cox store and demanded an explanation. I wanted an apology, any false derogatory info removed from my credit report immediately, and I told them I would pay the bill only if they would give me a statement of what was actually due.

The guy at the store referred to his computer and claimed they had sent me three bills already. I repeated that I had NOT received any bill from them and they had made no attempt to contact me before sending the bill to a collection agency. The jerk basically called me a liar, jabbed his finger toward the collection agency’s notice and said, “That’s your bill.” I crumpled the collection agency notice and dropped it on the counter. I told them I was NOT going to pay any collection fees and demanded they give me a bill with just the actual charges if they wanted to be paid. Again they refused and ordered me to leave the store, threatening to call the cops on me if I didn’t.

I was able to find out later that Cox had - without notifying me - arbitrarily decided to switch the account to electronic billing and then proceeded to send email bills to the former email address at my mom’s house which no longer existed. [Gee, you would think that Cox would have sense enough to realize that after they disconnect service, they can’t still send email to it and expect it to be seen by anyone.]

I’ve been fighting with them via email and Facebook for several days now. They still refuse to agree to withdraw the bill from collections and undo any false reports they might have made against my credit record. I’ve filed a complaint against them with the FCC. Cox made a stupid mistake. Then instead of apologizing and fixing it, they chose to be arrogant jerks and turn a good customer into a lifetime sworn enemy. If they had to do business in an open market with actual competition, they would never stay in business with that kind of stupidity.

Very poor customer service. In fact it's a joke. I've called many many times in the past and have pleaded to please make my internet usable. I am a single father and it's a crime to make day long periods of virtually usable internet. I pay for the expensive 150mbps. I originally had 50mbps but after being coaxed by customer service to upgrade I feel lied to. I have purchased 3 different routers and the last time I purchased my 80$ capable router I was laughed at by a customer rep saying "clearly my router was defective" when I changed it literally hours ago with a brand new cox one.

You people are a joke! I have to go to the library and use their internet sometimes because it's so bad. I hate cox with all my heart. I've tried being nice but it is a company that bullies you and does not care. With my "luxury 150mbps" internet I was supposedly able to watch high quality videos. There are days I can watch a youtube video in 4k and other days I have to watch in 240p.

Today, 11/24/2016, our wifi is off and on all morning. This is the 10th time this month we have had problems. We are in A 2 YEAR CONTRACT, yet Cox raised our bill last month. Now we get poor service. This cable company has the worst service. I have had a retention rep and a survey feedback rep both argue with me and call me a liar. I can't wait to move and get rid of this worthless company.

About three weeks ago, email from my colleague who has a Gmail account started getting returned... undelivered to me. They were told Cox wasn't accepting Gmail emails because they were SPAM. After much investigation by my colleague and myself, we understand that COX has decided to unilaterally not deliver all Gmail emails to Cox customers. Cox says there is no work around or fix for this. They have placed this restriction on their server because Gmail was sending loads of spam to Cox. To protect themselves they are limiting incoming mail from Gmail, on occasion one or two may go through when the server recognizes very little email is going through.

Is it mail or isn't it? Does a company decide which emails I can receive each day... and I have no idea which emails are getting through and which aren't. The Gmail customer gets three days of notification telling them there is a DELAY in sending the Gmail email. DELAY... it is never going through. I can only imagine the nuisance all the SPAM is to the entire digital world but I haven't heard of Comcast or Verizon deciding which emails from Gmail they will deliver and which they won't. This is a terrible inconvenience. Email is a form of communication and my communication is being controlled by Cox and not in a good way. The fact they don't care and have stated "this is the way it is," is a travesty.

We had Cox Communications as our cable/internet provider for over 9 years. We recently moved to the Kansas City area and had our service disconnected on September 19, 2016. Our address was updated with a payment sent to customer service at the end of September. We did not receive a final bill in October. Yesterday, received an invoice for $94.09 from a bill collector. It is impossible to talk to customer service agent - all phone calls are routed through a call system. I was finally able to talk to a customer service agent this morning and was told that they 'probably' informed the bill collector that it was going to be turned over for collection (keep in mind, we hadn't received a final bill from Cox), who in turn recreated a bill. If this is how you treat a 9 year customer, I would not recommend their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

I had Cox for internet services ONLY. My account was set up with paperless auto pay had no problems. I recently moved so I moved my service to the new place with same plans "only Internet" which I was paying "$64.99". All of sudden after my third statements after moving I found out that my Cox bill jumped like crazy in 3 statements from "$144" to $232, finally to $157, a total of "$535". So I called customer service to check what happened. They said it's because I add cable to my service "which I don't have" and I told them "do you see any cable box from your company registered under my name." After they investigate they found out there's no box registered under my name and agreed to refund my money to my bank.

After a week I check my bank account was nothing refunded. So I call I again Cox to find out that my Cox account was credited only $146 after charging for 3 months. So I asked how come and her answer was that "all we credited you was after removing all the cable charges"??? I told her even if I got changed for 4 months of service I should have more credit and I asked her to do the math "$64.99*4=$259.96". They changed me "$535-$259.96=$275.04" which supposed be credited back to my account. After going back and forth and her telling me "we moved all cable charges" and me telling I don't care about removing the charges I care about how much I'm supposed to pay which is $64.99 charged for 3 statements. The rest should be credited to my account and I even asked to change me for the 4th month.

After she said that all what we are refunding I asked if I can talk to any supervisor. She said "I'm the supervisor" and I asked to talk to someone else. She said no one can do anything for me, Once I start getting mad and I asked her to cancel my service with Cox she said she can't do that?? I have to call tomorrow morning and ask for cancellation department. I Hate THE STUPID CUSTOMER SERVICE. One person say something. Another person say different. Total mess... If anyone out there read this help. I just need my money.

I am fed up with Cox Communications. I have been a Cox customers for last 16 years. They have been increasing my rate steadily over the years. 10 to 20% every year since 2000. Today I talked top Royalty department a Rep named Zee. Cox do not know how to value their long-term customers. They think long term customers are fool. They can continue to increase the rates. And we will continue to pay whatever increase they will charge us.

Last night without my authorization, one of their (Cox) representative reduce my quality of Internet service from Preferred Internet to just Essential. That is unacceptable. That is very unacceptable. They even did not apologize for it. On the contrary they told me the only way they are willing to give me back Preferred service, if I accept their increase rate/price of $72.99 just for my Home Internet connection. Why? What did I do wrong keeping Cox for last 16 Years?

Actually they do not care for their CUSTOMERS. That is the Bare FACT. I cannot take this type of rude behavior from Cox anymore. No one talks like what Cox did to me. You should also not accept such rude talk & behavior, I propose. I have decided to raise the issues further. I am reporting the "abrupt rate increase" matter to this Forum so that you all are aware of what is going on with Cox.

I like every one of you, who has been victimized by abrupt rate increase, to raise the issues to your local Congressman and local government officials. This is unacceptable. We need better government oversight regulations and controls on Internet Rates Increase. I do not like what Cox is doing -- screwing their royal customers like what they are doing to me (having 16 years with Cox). I am going to find out who are the other Internet providers in my area. I am definitely switching.

This company is by far one of the worst I've EVER had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with... I signed up online when I started my service & somehow got locked into a 2 yr contract, I contacted Cox to see if I could lower my cable "package" as I don't watch tv that much & I was told no due to this contract. Not only that, but right after I hung up with them, I looked in my bank account & it was just debited for my "current balance owed" & I did NOT authorize that... Well instead of them keeping as a customer at a lower rate, they will now have 1 less!!

If I could give a - 0 I would. This company is a joke. For months been having problems make an appointment. No one shows, say they are going to mail a new router. Nothing comes. Go to the store to pick it up, get home, bad router. So call them and 1/2 of being on the phone am told they are having problems with that brand. Go back to the store and they only carry one kind - that ones that are having problems with. Gives me the same one, I just returned. There is such a lack of communication with this company. Looking for a new internet company. Been with them for 14 months, no loyalty to old customers. Greedy company. DON'T GO WITH COX!!!

COX is doing deceiving advertising promising service and prices that are never honored. It is the most expensive internet service provider, charging 70$ a month for a lousy internet service at half the speed of TWC. Also they treat old customers like crap taking advantage of their almost monopoly status in some cities of Southern California and charging prices that are out of control, with the complicity of the state regulators that let them get away with any increase in price.

My reason for the review is that I'm a returning customers that been with Cox for 4 years and 6 months and still experiencing the same problem that caused me to leave - a high Bill that my budget can't afford and lies about my package prices and other things - and I'm tired of it.

This has to be hands down the worst WIFI service and phone service I have ever had!!! Every couple of hours either the phone or wifi is losing the signal. EVERY FREAKIN MONTH the BILL RISES!!! I'm so sick of this company. When this hostage contract expires, Cox can kiss where the sun doesn't shine. A company that continually rapes their customers. Unbelievable how uninformed the techs are when you call with a explanation as to why the damn wifi keeps going out. I getting rid of cable, use my cell phone only and look for a hot spot when I'm desperate for wifi. I will not continue to be taken advantage of. They want a rating, ZERO!!!

I have the 40mb internet service and it's always at 15 or 18. When you call them it goes back to 40 till the next day. The service is not reliable... they do overcharge you just so you can go there or call them so they can take the charges off so they can look good that way.

Save yourself the hassle and frustration and DO NOT USE COX COMMUNICATIONS AS YOUR PROVIDER. I have been a COX Communication customer for only 3 months and have had several faulty internet connection encounters with them - about 8 or 9 times the internet goes out for hours. They have had 3 outages that take 10+ hours to "fix". When calling to get help with internet loss issues, their employees have no clue how to resolve your issue and cannot seem to find any solutions. They usually just transfer you to another person who has no idea how to do their job either. I am a reasonable person and understand it is not the customer service employees fault, but COX should hire employees with knowledge of how their company works. DO NOT USE COX COMMUNICATION FOR YOUR PROVIDER. (Especially when you need internet connection for school/work.)

I just got off the phone with Jessica and she did a phenomenal job! When we installed the service they told us they wouldn't charge for a certain aspect, then the bill came a month later with the charge on it. So I called in to correct it. She apologized for the miscommunication and credited our account for the discrepancy. To me that is the sign of a great company taking responsibility. I recommend them so far!

Just unfortunate that there isn't a zero stars. I've been a longstanding Cox customer for phone and internet. Mainly because for internet there just isn't any service quite as fast as theirs. I pretty much knew I was making a mistake when I cancelled my DirecTV to upgrade to a bundle with Cox. My issue in the past has been with the frequent price increases. The issue prompting this review is customer service. I reluctantly decided to bundle with Cox. I went online and added Contour TV and upgraded my internet. I accepted the price increase and booked a scheduled installation day on the following Monday which I took off from work to be available.

I decided to call on Sunday to confirm time range of install and was informed my order had been auto cancelled. After about 20 minutes of them trying to figure out what went wrong they stated that they tried to call and confirm installation (on a order I just booked the day before). I had not one call from Cox on my caller ID nor an email regarding confirmation or cancellation. Cox customer service was useless as always. Their offer was basically they would help me rebook for a later date. I'll just go back to DirecTV where they at least made an effort to help me out. Bottom line is as soon as there is a competitive internet service adios Cox!!!

It's a second day I'm waiting for E-mail message from Cox with instructions on how to get this 1 hour free trial. Don't think I'll need it if ever I'll get it. It's all after having filled all required forms, registration and so on.

I don't recommend them, especially for Internet service. I used them for years, gave U-verse a shot, then switched back. It's been an overcharged nightmare since. I pay for the 100 mbps and I'm lucky if I get 60. Streaming cuts out and the WiFi is so slow. It's always something interfering according to the 5 techs that I've had here in just the past month. Bad wires. Ok, run a new wire. Still not fixed. They can't deliver what they advertise, but are more than happy to charge a ton for it. The techs don't call before, and sometimes just don't show up. When I call, they give me attitude. They schedule appointments that I didn't even make. Always promise a supervisor, never get one. Biggest rip off.

We have been having constant issues with the internet dropping at our apartment and we have had two techs out to our apartment and, they have still not fixed the issue. We called Tech Support and they always give us the runaround. They always says, "It's an outage," or that we need to "swap out the modem" (the usual lazy and quick fix), and our modem isn't even a year old. One of the tech never test the modem or even tried to see if the line inside the house were working properly. This issue has been going on for months. And no luck.

Get CenturyLink instead!!! Don't bother with this privately owned unscrupulous company. They kept charging me a one time activation fee every month... They told me my bill would be at a less expensive rate than the bill showed each month. The final straw was when I was thinking of signing up again after letting my service go completely for two months... The customer service workers Rochele then Kian... Then the so-called "supervisor" called Jolanda if that was even her name said she would credit my account to reinstate for the following week.

I almost fell for it until the end of the call when she had just said she would adjust the initial reinstatement to more than half the cost less than the former balance. I was very happy with this so I said goodbye and started getting my modem ready as directed. I left my phone just a few feet away when I came back to hang up after she thought I hung up, she said referring to my balance... "I'll just add it back in. I'll fix her..." Cox has lost my business because of their poor relationship with me. I was with them over 5 years. They lost my confidence thanks to their greedy practices. That trickles down to their low class customer service department.

They have become too big. They can't provide satisfactory service anymore. Their internet is slower than it was when they first started. I was told to get the faster service. I see no difference but charged more money. Their telephone service is so bad. I gave up trying to hunt down bad wiring in my attic, that they DID years ago. Now I just use a wireless throughout my house. The worst of their bundle is the tv. These new mini boxes are pieces of **. I have replaced 3 in the last 6 months. They take 5-10 sometimes to start up. Now all my tvs are helpless without a good functioning minibox. I spend more time watching tv online, and not with their website, that's terrible also. I am in the process of dropping them. I just can't wait for the day I am through with them.

Their commercials are so bad, full of lies. They seem to think they can magically float things in the air. And everything is so futuristic. What a bunch of **. It's false advertising. Everybody seems so happy, having Cox as their service provider. In the real world their stores are always overcrowded. I walk in one the other day. Over 50 people were waiting, about an hour and half just trade out a minibox. I feel stupid to be a customer of theirs. They are trying now to take as much money from people as they can. It is only a matter of time before their monopoly is broken up. Unfortunately the two other providers in my area stink also. Not as bad but, for what they're charging is not worth it anymore. Pretty soon everything will be online and they will have no control, to rip people off. Prices will come down to earth, and I hope they fold.

Potential customers beware - Cox is horrible. Internet performance is unreliable and slow no matter what supposed package they sell you. Add voice and you can count on being dropped in the middle of calls all the time. Don't try calling for help - it is their network although they will constantly say they need to come to your house to see if they can fix it. They will waste your time making you swap out modems too. It is their poor network, you will never get promised speeds and they are not upgrading the network. Do not waste your money and time.

I have been in my house a year now and Cox has been here almost every month sometimes more than once or I have spoke to them on the phone, internet connection and tv are the problems I deal with every month and they cannot get it working correctly and I have missed out on my 2nd job income because of this and it doesn't matter to them but to me it does because it is affecting my pocket/money.

Making this as concise as possible. I was quoted one price. Billed incorrectly. Called, explained dilemma, apology and got a higher bill. Called again, big smile big promise. Nothing again... And this is why I didn't or wouldn't sign a contract. And never received the signup bonus either. People said they were much worse than Verizon. I guess they were right. Looking to go to Verizon next I guess... Sad how these companies operate.

This is the second attempt to write this review due to dropped service. First of all, the service drops all the time, but the speed was great for the first six months. Then, it slowed down so drastically that we can't do anything anymore online. Is it a coincidence that today I get an email from them to upgrade to a faster package for a fee? Don't try to call customer service. Our cashier at Walmart told Miranda she was gorgeous unless you have the patience to wait on hold only for the call to drop over and over. Their service is so bad, they can't keep their own phone lines working!!! Then, the person at the other end is useless. I will NEVER order service from this company again!!!

I want to put out a warning to all potential internet customers to STAY AWAY FROM COX INTERNET! Even AT&T U-verse (which isn't the greatest technology-wise) is miles ahead of Cox in terms of service and competency. My experience started with an installation appointment. Easy enough you think? Think again. They completely missed the Saturday morning appointment, and didn't even bother to call. I called them to explain the situation, and the representative acted arrogant and didn't even bother to apologize or give an explanation, as if this is something that was expected to happen.

Anyway, I let it go, and after some convincing I got them to reschedule my appointment to the afternoon. They ended up ALSO missed this rescheduled appointment, and again, they didn't bother to call. I had to call them instead, and this time they gave an excuse that they tried to call, but since no one picked up, they didn't bother coming to the house! It turned out they called the wrong number, so I made it clear to them to call the correct number (my cell). I then had the appointment moved to Sunday.

Sunday comes along, and the technician finally shows up at my house. Guess what? He didn't have any equipment with him! I cannot comprehend why. What were you going to do at my house, have tea and chat? He ends up driving back to the store to pick up the modem and tries to install it. My previous set up was disassembled, and he set up the new Cox modem in my control panel. It was then that I discovered that the modem didn't have WiFi support; it's just a basic modem with single port, and I would only be able to get internet if I Sat in my closet (where the control panel was located) and plugged my laptop directly into the modem. Completely unacceptable.

There were a whole host of other issues, like NO ONE from Cox knowing what modem model I was supposed to be given, or whether I was supposed to be able to buy it even though their website clearly advertised this, and I even have an order confirmation with the details to prove it. The technician ended up leaving without fixing the problems because he had another appointment. I ended up having to call Cox again to schedule a follow-up appointment, and discovered that the only other time that worked for a follow-up appointment was the next Saturday, SIX days later. I was finally told after demanding to talk to the manager that the modem that the technician left at my house was the wrong model, and didn't even support the speeds that I ordered. He said he would take care of things. Ok fine, I'll give it one last shot.

Next Saturday comes around, and guess what? NO SHOW. What a surprise. Not even a call. I called them again, and guess what? They said they tried calling me, but no one answered, so the technician didn't bother to come. WOW, AGAIN. Not only that, they were still calling the WRONG NUMBER. The incompetency. So, for the FOURTH time, I rescheduled to later in the afternoon. Guess what? Just guess. Yup. NO SHOW AGAIN. I'm crying my eyes out with disbelief. I call them and guess what they said? Well, they didn't have an excuse. None. My call then got disconnected, and when I called back the service hours JUST ended in my time zone so I couldn't talk to a representative.

I end up going online to chat with a service rep. She said that she sees that there is note saying that the technician was on the way, but that she was confused. It's not confusing really, even I know what had happened - the service hours for the day were done, and the technician decided to end the day without servicing my house, and didn't bother notifying me trough any means. She had no excuse to provide that wouldn't put her own company Cox to shame. So the day ended with another 5 hours gone waiting around for nothing. I had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow from 3-5 pm. Let's see what happens. I will be calling Cox every 15 minutes starting 3 pm to make sure someone shows up. In the mean time, there is one thing that Cox HAS managed to do - send me a bill even before completing their initial installation! Can you believe it?

Well, there are a couple of other things they have done: disrupted my previous service, failed to provide the correct modem, failed to provide any wireless capabilities (e.g. gateway or wireless router), which was clearly stated as included, wasted 10 hours of my time over 2 weekend, promised to give a discount on my bill twice, which is not yet reflected in my account, flooded my e-mail with false appointment confirmations from do_not_reply_prod@cox.com, displayed blatant disregard for any kind of curtesy, competency, or customer service. Great job Cox, if you're in the business of losing customers, you win gold. I conclude by making my first recommendation on Yelp after using it for almost a decade: take your valuable time and dollars elsewhere... anywhere but Cox.

Cox keeps running ads about how I'll be able to get a gig one day and great digital food or some such garbage. In the meantime, even though I have their highest speed, I can't even get through a YouTube video without it freezing and I have to reboot the channel. So it is bad enough that you have to endure crappy, unreliable service, but then you call for customer service and the fun really begins.

It takes over two minutes of button pushing and menus to even get inline for a CS rep, then they are in some god forsaken place that is closing soon because they are in a different time zone and because they don't live in San Diego, they don't care about San Diegans. Before Cox closed their San Diego call center you were talking to someone who was a neighbor and understood you when you talked. They were genuinely interested in helping you. The out of state call centers people are completely indifferent to your issues and have zero interest in actually helping you. If there was any other provider who was a viable option I'd switch, but I am trapped like a rat in a maze and they know it. Sam Attisha should be embarrassed about how bad his company is now.

Hackers seemed to have hijacked the epic fail's Postmaster@cox.net email addy. It took me several days to fix the mess of spam that was landing in my Inbox, which Cox did positively ZERO to assist. Instead, this piece of manure ISP has started to reject MY emails from going out, using their "cox against spam" useless landing page as my only solution. I hate this company and am definitely looking for a replacement. Suggestions are welcome.

20+ years with these clowns. They deceptively raised my bill by over $30 a month and after several conversations each person tells me "sorry about your luck". I hope to be able to say the same to them ONE DAY SOON.

This is what you get from a company that does not have to compete for your business. I blame this on our local and state government agencies (like Trump or not, he is right about the lobbyists and government officials). They charge you for their blazing speeds of 150 Mbps, but at the most I can only get 70-80. Whether this is fast enough for my needs or not is not the issue. They are charging you for these speeds and brag about them on their website. The technician came out, rummaged through my house, took out some equipment and left with the following statements. Of course this is after I spent $100, upon their recommendations for the increased speed, on a new modem. "It is your wireless router. Maybe you need to upgrade the firmware." Not only is this insulting, but is completely ignorant to the fact they are not providing those speeds.

He also said "you cannot expect that speed from your wireless router. You need to be hardwired to the system." I asked him to show me how to hardwire my iPad, iPhone, MacAir and Apple TV's. Oh I also asked him to show me, since I am the odd ball of the world with my equipment, to hardwire his phone to the system and show me 150 Mbps downloads, or even close to it. This is false advertising, overcharging, and a complete disregard for providing what they offer. I bet most people to not even check their internet speeds and just rely on the corporate giant to be honest. Where is our next level of complaint? I am sick of the monopoly.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.
  • Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.
  • Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.
  • Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.
  • Best for Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Compare Internet Service Providers