Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Email changed and it is very difficult to use now. I have had other trouble with transferring service. They overcharged me and their bill is so complex that it would take some kind of code to decipher. My phone and TV didn't work and required additional service calls.

I have had it with COX. I am not sure how this company be in business with the service that they provide. I have filed a BBB complaint today. Hopefully they will have a response for me. Anyway, I had a two year contract with them. After paying through the nose, I was ready to cancel, except they promised me a deal that I could not refuse. Alas, the bill came, and the deal was not to be found. In the meantime, I am with them on the phone at least a dozen times, getting literally kicked on my teeth by their so called customer service group etc. I have very little hope, after reading all the awful comments about this company in ConsumerAffairs, I am not sure, if anything can be done to this company? This company needs to close down - PERIOD!

I will be as short and sweet as possible. Since we started with the service last year August 2016 it has been one thing after another. Mostly service related. After installation they had to come out several times because the system would shut down and we couldn't reboot. Once that was "fixed" we are constantly have to reset the system as it freezes up, the wifi disconnects. It's horrible having to spend time to have to deal with this.

The last straw was today getting our bill that was 40 dollars higher because "The contract you signed clearly states you are in a 24-month contract but that only protects you for a short while against retail rates. This is a promotional rate." Meaning they can increase your rates whenever. I was also told to read my statement more clearly because it states the same thing. We were told our rates lock in for 2 years. I am aware of the promotions that change after a year of service but they don't write nor say that clearly. They don't care. The rep, Sherri was very flippant on the phone. I told her. Would let anyone and everyone I know how underhanded Cox works and will never do business with them.

9-07-2017 Most people do not check their download speed to see if they are getting what they pay for every month, but I do, on a regular basis!! Cox cable in Ocala FL is a very corrupt company. I am paying for 15 mbs download speed. They turned off my DOCSIS 2 modem, so I bought an Arris 3.0 modem. When I first had it activated, I check my speed and it was a little over 15 mbs download. The next day, my speed dropped to around 2 mbs. I thought the modem was bad, so I sent back the Arris and I bought a Netgear CM700. I had it activated and checked my download speed and it was a little over 15 mbs. Now, it’s the next day and my download speed is again down to 2 mbs download. I believe Cox is doing this on purpose, because they are trying to force people to pay money every month, to rent their modem. You will notice that the only time I get 15 meg, is the first time I test. I wonder what the FCC would think about this practice.

We are have been a satisfied COX customer for more than 25 years. Their internet and customer service have been superb, until recently. Lately, COX seems to be more interested in making a quick profit than serving its customers. 1) We were persuaded to sign on to digital cable and given a box so we could watch shows on our older TV. At the end of the year we discontinued the service because the price went up (bait and switch) and we don't watch the regular shows. We were shocked when charged with a large monthly bill. It was for two cable boxes that we had received two years ago. We understand we need to return one.

The second was sent as a replacement when first cable box malfunctions. As I recall, the technician said to throw the bad one away which we did. We only have one TV. When calling COX to complain about the double charge, they said that we owe them for two boxes and that none of their employees would ever have told us to discard it. Of course we have a difference of opinion. We only have one TV and were never told to return the malfunctioning box at the time. 2) Lately, internet service has been slow, especially during peak hours. We pay for premium service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

So when I first got internet service I was told I was gonna pay 54 a month for 50kps internet speed. Few months later my bill went up to 75 a month for 50kps without notification. I contact them to find out and they told me when I first got the service I got an offer that has expired, so I tried to lower to 54 my bill for simple 50kps internet. So they came up with the new offers again, like if you get TV and internet service for 85$ I can give a discount of 10$ or if you upgrade to 100kps your bill will be 74$ but you will have faster internet and more data and stuff. I told them I just want to lower my bill. I don't need this other stuff, the answer I got was just "Kevin the only way I can lower your bill 10$ is if you upgrade your service." So I can pay 75$ for 100kps if I upgrade but if you don't upgrade your service you will have to pay 75 for 50kps anyways. So whats next? 200 dollar bill if I don't upgrade. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE PEOPLE.

We have a subscription with Cox for 100MB up/10 down. 6 months ago it was a real disaster. After many complaints they finally fixed it. FYI, be prepared to hear, that if your connection is slow, it's because you have a virus, nothing wrong on their side. For the last 2 weeks, I see my speed went down again. So today I took 5 measures (20 minutes apart) from Ookla, xfinity, At&t, fast.com and Google. They all gave me a 33Mb up/1Mb down (more or less). When talking with COX tech support (Aug 14, @12:36 PST), this is his answer: He saw on my modem a speed of 180Mbs. All readings from internet test sites are wrong because my modem is too old (it was replaced 6 months ago by COX), and therefore all the tests on internet are "confused" and give a incorrect result.

Then I stated that I am a software engineer - and asked specifically to confirm the previous affirmation. He did - with strong conviction - confirm "all the speed tests on internet give a wrong reading" and added that the tests can't show speed above 100Mb. So if the reading was 33Mb it's probably because I have 133Mb :) lol. After lunch (20 minutes later) I did a new speed test: all the "internet tests" are showing speed in the range 150Mb to 180Mb. Magic? What do you think? Are COX tech support incompetent? Are they trained by COX to lie to the customers? Why suddenly my speed increase 6x times, when 5 minutes earlier a tech was telling me "it not their fault, it's because I have a old modem" - which again is incorrect. So deceiving.

I have had the worst experience today that I have ever had with any company. I contacted Cox because I am a new customer just signed up 9 days ago. I was unsatisfactory with their service. So I wanted to cancel and when contacting Cox. Immediately I am treated as a criminal and being interrogated as why I don't like service. I expressed my concerns. The two representatives stated I had to pay over 600+ of termination fees. Although online it says 30 day back guarantee. I just to warn all customers about Cox. They are not trustworthy and they do not value their customers. Just be alert when doing any business with them.

I have been with Cox for over six years. We lost our internet connection on Saturday 7/22/2017. I called Cox on Sunday morning regarding the issue and got the same generic help of restarting the modem. After that didn't work the representative offered to send a technician on Tuesday 7/25/2016 between 8 am - 10 am. Which is BS for a business that big. I received a call today around 9:30 saying the technician got into a car accident and they would have reschedule for later in the day between 1 pm- 3 pm. I agreed to that understanding the situation.

At 3:30 still no one so I called the support department and got in contact with the supervisor and all he gave me was a generic apology and told me that a technician will be there within an hour. After hour and a half I receive a call from Cox saying the technician is busy right now so he is going to come later in the day. So I wasted my whole damn work day waiting for this technician and all I'm getting is a "sorry." Cox has the worst customer care. This is absurd to deal with this.

Complete idiots who contradict themselves! Cannot fathom how anyone would actually want to lower their rate. Funny when I moved and needed to transfer services they stuck me with someone who BARELY spoke English, then when I want to lower my 200$ bill there is nothing they can do! Scam fraud idiots... spread the word!!

I have been a loyal Cox customer for years, on and off depending on if it was available where we moved. We've has Cox now for just over 4 years and I have had nothing but problems with them, from installation to service to now billing. The other alternative is AT&T which only offers dial up speed and double the price, for our area. From day one they didn't install the correct equipment each time, which I found out from the multiple techs that came to my house; each tech had a different opinion on how the previous tech installed to fix my "problem". For 2 years I wasn't getting the download speed that I was paying for and for those two years the price kept creeping up. So I was sitting at $97 for 150 download speeds, internet and lifeline phone.

They finally got me the right equipment which I now pay for as well (the last year and a half) and now they are implementing that 1 TB limit. I remember previously looking at our notices about usage and we would sit anywhere from 600 to 800 GB. Well now we are apparently using anywhere from 1600 to 1800 GB. I have monitors on our electronics that records the GB usage and we are nowhere near that, still around the 800 GB. The GB isn't offered in our area, but 10 miles south it is; how is that possible? So to cut back on our usage of data I signed up for Contour with HBO and Showtime, plus the 150 download, and phone; with 1 DVR and 1 box and free install.

The plan was supposed to run me $112, throw in tax including the boxes no more than $140; high end. I just received my bill $500! They are trying to charge me for 2 boxes on top of the dvr, install ($150), I can see the half usage ($58), full price for the movie stations, and an additional $97 for internet. What's worse is that I can't find the internet price of the package that was supposed to be $75. The plan now goes for $140 with the slower internet speed, the faster internet (what we have) is $160.

The contour still messes up with audio and video, the internet is slow most of the time, and their data meter is still off. Plus their app is constantly down or under maintenance, making it difficult to check my bill and data usage. It is a royal headache and now I have to constantly monitor them; because I'm not busy enough with working full time, homeschooling three, maintaining a household, and outside activities. It is a monopoly around here and unfair how they treat their customers. Cox is the lesser of two evils and I'm looking into a 3rd option, which won't be ideal but won't cost us this wasted time and money.

I was told I would get the bundle for $124 guaranteed but when my bill came it was actually $194. I called numerous times and was told multiple things about credits, more sales etc etc. After being quoted a better deal I took only for the wrong modem to arrive. Two more attempts for the techs and I find they cut my DirecTV line, literally! It was the biggest hassle ever. Since then my bill is supposed to be $84 total but every month there's something added and my bill is added. When I call I'm told it was a "computer glitch." My question to them is, they get over on so many people who do not look at their bill.

At one point my bill was approx. $1000. When I called they said it was equipment charges. But then I noticed a fee for the techs coming out which should be free for me because I have the coverage. When I called to ask about the charges on equipment and they tried to deny it happening. So two things are true with this module. They try to charge you for equipment even though it's turned in. They also inflate ghost fees and say there will be credits and never place the credits.

I set up internet services with COX for a short-term relocation for my job. My internet quality was great and I wasn't misled about pricing or anything. However, at the end of my 6 month stay I canceled service with COX and I was instructed to return my rented modem to the nearest COX location. I needed to keep my internet set up until the last day of my stay, the day I would be moving away to a city some 2.5 hours outside of COX's network. Because of this, I was scheduled to return the modem on my move-out day.

With all the hustle and bustle of packing boxes, loading, and general moving procedures in addition to crappy traffic, I finally arrived at the COX location just after it closed. I was very distraught because I just wanted to wrap all these things up and I was frustrated that I had just missed their open hours. I immediately called COX services, waited on hold for 20 minutes or so, and told an employee my situation. I asked how I could return the modem since I was leaving the city and wouldn't be anywhere close to a COX facility. The representative said she would have a return box and label mailed to my new address and that I could mail the modem back at that point. I gave her my new address, a PO box, and thanked her for her help.

I waited two weeks for the box to arrive. Nothing ever came to my post office, so I called COX again and sat on hold until I got a representative. I let them know and they said they would have a new box mailed to me. I confirmed my mailing address and I waited another two weeks. No box came. I was pretty frustrated at this point with having this modem take up space in my dwelling and at having to spend so much of my time on the phone with this company.

Next, I get a letter in the mail saying my account with COX will soon be sent to a debt collector since I hadn't returned the equipment. I called the company AGAIN and asked that the situation be fixed! The representative I spoke to was extremely rude, unlike the other employees. I told him of my concern and he was extremely condescending and repeated over and over again that it was my fault I didn't return the box before I left the city. I weathered his insults and asked him if there was ANY way to return their equipment other than waiting for this mythical "box and label" to be sent to me. He told me I could just take my modem to any FEDEX or UPS and that they could print my label and take care of things. I did as he said and FEDEX laughed at me, they said COX needs to supply the label.

At this point, I was pretty irate at all the time wasted, the way I'd been treated, and the threat to my credit. I called COX for literally the fifth time and asked to speak to a manager. I told him my situation and he saw the problem immediately. COX can't send these shipping boxes and labels to PO boxes, in fact, it says so right on their screen for the shipment. How frustrating! I finally got the box a week later and mailed it at my local FEDEX. I kept getting calls from the debt collector trying to get me to pay for the equipment which I had already returned. At this point, it had been two weeks since the FEDEX tracking number indicated that the modem had been delivered, I couldn't believe COX was still trying to process the return.

I called COX twice more, being routed around and around and around before I finally asked to speak to a manager. I explained to him my whole situation and gave him the tracking number from FEDEX. He figured that COX had lost my package/modem and he did some paperwork to get it sorted out. He even gave me his personal number so I could call if I had any more fuss. I called back a week later and confirmed that COX had processed the return. I called the debt collector to confirm that everything was settled there. I was able to get everything handled before this incident was reported on my credit thankfully.

At the end of the day, I cannot believe how incompetent COX as a company is. Three different employees all made the same mistake of trying to mail me the return box to a PO Box. I spent probably 8 hours of my life trying to fix COX's incompetence. I made at least 7 or 8 calls and waited on hold during each of them. Plus, I have never had a late payment in my life! I hold my credit in the highest regard and the fact that COX threatened it and took no responsibility causes me untold amounts of stress. I loathe this company and I would counsel all other consumers to steer clear of this nightmare. Transitioning customers out of service is equally as important as transitioning them in.

My husband has not once, not twice, not even three times but several times have contacted this company in order to make sure that the automatic payment is taken out on the FIRST of each month. I don't know who they hire but these VERY unintelligent people have screwed it up each time and we have been stuck with this company for three years while living in Virginia Beach, VA since they are the only company that is sadly out here. Well yet again we were told that our account had insufficient funds and the money couldn't be taken out so we will have to pay a return fee. HOW IS THAT FAIR? We shouldn't be penalized for their stupidity and their lack of listening skills!

It's a CONSTANT battle with this company for our bills as well as service. They turn off our internet without letting us know. And they say "Oh check their website." Well how can we if the internet is turned off? And with all of the customer services how hard is it to send out an email or phone call to let people know? Cox is THE WORSE company EVER! And we just sue them for our Internet. Cannot wait to get out of this area so that we can use a REAL company for our services. Hubby and I are SO DONE with this company it's not even funny!

I would just like to say that I have been an unwilling Cox consumer for the past 2.5 years (only because there are no viable alternatives where I live). Tried to scam me and steal from me on multiple occasions. Over the past 2.5 years Cox has I have had multiple issues with Cox with the most recent being double charging me for my monthly internet services and refusing to issue a refund.

Since beginning services with Cox I have been on auto pay so as to avoid even the possibility of late payments. On March 21, 2017 Cox took a $63 payment from my account (my monthly bill is $39.99) and refused to rectify the issue by providing a refund for the extra amount. On April 21st, 2017 they took a payment of $42.99 (still over the $39.99 amount I owed), on June 5th they took a $39.99 payment (finally correct but no refund for previous overages), then on July 2nd 2017 they took $83.

After speaking with multiple Cox representative I received a host of excuses from "We just took what you owed" indicating outstanding payments when there none, to "They just took the payment for July 21st" an amount they were not yet owed and certainly not authorized to remove from my account. Despite speaking to multiple representatives I was refused my money back and my account shows I have an upcoming payment of $39.99 due this month... again. Seriously if you don't already have Cox, or have ANY other options please for the sake of your sanity and wallets DO NOT GET COX. Trust me, not wasting your time and energy dealing with this corrupt company will be the best decision you could ever make in life.

As of today Cox has sent out a notification to residential customers in the Phoenix metro area. The cap is a 1TB cap, and their overage's based on how much data you use over the 1 TB cap. The internet service has become a monopoly where larger corporations are free to set whatever rules they deem worthy, and suck customers dry. If you have the ability to avoid Cox, I suggest doing so at any cost.

I have been with Cox Cable for 35+ years. I am a senior citizen living in senior housing and have a fixed income. Lately Cox bill is getting out of hand. They took my modem which I had paid for and put in a new modem which I am told is better for upcoming services and now are charging me more money a month for this one. Every time I call, I get someone different who tells me it will be taken care of. I want to know how they get away with doing these things and you do not have any say in the matter. I was also told to call every 6 months and complain about my bill and they would give me $10.00 off. Why can't they offer something for seniors.

I have been a Cox customer for over 20 years. I recently moved. They told me I could get the new package for $159 a month. I agreed, and I asked, "are there any extra charges?" The woman on the phone said no, I got everything for $159. Today I find out my bill is $225. I understand taxes but come to find out I was outright lied to. I specifically asked if there were extra charges or anything extra. I do not like surprises. Before now I never had a problem with Cox. Now, I would say DO NOT GET THIS service or agree to anything unless you have it all in writing ahead of time. I have a tech coming out tomorrow to fix the internet because it only works sometimes. I have to reset the modem daily.

I had an account with Cox for a year and a half. During that time, we had countless issues with our internet and our bill seemed to just keep rising. I paid the bill on time EVERY month. Well, today I checked my credit and saw a collection account with Cox Communications for $74. I dropped them months ago and made sure my account was paid in full. FURIOUS that these crooks apparently sent me to collections, I called and learned that when they replaced my modem in 2016 (an attempt to fix months and months of terrible internet service), they apparently didn't mark it as "paid" even though I paid for the modem up front. So, not only does the service suck and cost a fortune, but apparently they'll ding your credit even if you're a perfect customer who pays on time every single month for a year and a half. Now I get to wait for that to get removed before I can get my next car. Stupid.

Consumer Increased Rating!

It seems that Cox has a monopoly in my area for internet access. We pay for 150 mbps but I get less than that speed when using Ethernet. Several times a day the internet goes out. I am so sick of this horrible internet service provider.

Congress should regulate the cable companies, especially the top 5!!! Cox is allowed to charge any amount they can! My internet is now costing me $67.00 a month as a package deal! I never once have my permission to increase the speed! They never ask! This is why!

I mistakenly kept an EMAIL account from Cox when I moved. It's been a nightmare trying to cancel that account. Their customer service is the worst I've ever encountered in my entire life. Essentially, if you lose your pin number after you move to a place where their service is not offered, you are stuck in their system forever with no recourse. Even bills that they send after you cancel their service will, as in my case, pop up one day 11 years later and be sent to a collection agency. They also threaten to cancel your non-existent service that they don't even offer in your area. These people are the worst kinds of humans I've ever encountered.

Because of "planned outages" my internet was out for 3 evenings in a row. I work on call, and that connection is my livelihood. When I decided to make the change, I called to cancel my service renewal. I waited for about 20 minutes on hold until I spoke with a person, whose sole purpose in life is to strong arm you into staying. I get that Cox needs to make a counter offer in order to retain some users. But honestly it got to the point where he was name calling me on the phone like we were breaking up!

After about 10 minutes, I had to get mean (hard for me) on the phone before he would cancel the renewal of my service. This consisted of getting hung up on and getting an email a little later. After I get home, they went ahead and turned off my service prematurely. Needless to say I will never go back after such an experience, and being the techie friend for customers and co-workers I will no longer recommend Cox based on this phone call and the results thereafter. Thank you for the lesson on customer service 'Kyle'.

Recently, I paid my Cox bill online. It said I owed $26.00. I paid it. 2 days later, my internet was shut off. I called and asked why. They told me that I didn't pay my internet. They said I only paid for my "stupid phone that they make me have that I never use". The rep said that Cox has changed their billing so the phone and internet are separate. So when you check your bill online, it shows one or the other. So you think you pay your bill, then your service is interrupted and you pay the $30 reconnect fee. This is so infuriating. They make you have the phone service that may never be used, they show you one bill and not the other, they change their rates and packages arbitrarily so your bill skyrockets overnight. And they charge you fees if you don't understand their already confusing billing. They should spend more time on customer satisfaction than on "account recovery". If I had another option, I'd take it but right now, they have me by the jugular.

Over the past six or eight months we've noticed slowing internet download speeds. Googled 'Cox Speed Check' and it verified that our account (that we have had for 19 years) is 'internet premier' at 150 mbps but only receive 26 mbps. So we called - they kept 'taking us higher' in the tech department until we were talking to some rude jackass who never gave his name and informed us that we were not 'premier' but 'preferred' at 50 mbps (still only getting 26 mbps). We are paying $219 per month at present and they have lowered our subscription to what they desire. The last rep that we talked to sounded like a man but we're quite sure there was no man there - but a company boy wimp who was rude and accused me of cursing at him... NOT.

Cox is a monopoly with too much power and needs to be broken up. They bought out a company called Continental Cable 19 years ago and have never upgraded our area but continue to raise their rates and now degrade the service without notification or lowering the monthly fee. They are basically thieves now considering their underhanded and greedy ways of doing business. This 'bundle' business is another way Cox Communication will skin you alive. You can't lower the bill by dropping a service - it will actually cost you MORE! Cox Communication must be stopped and awaken to the fact that they are not GOD.

Individual at the Solutions Center was not helpful at all. He acted more like a salesman try to sell me a service or product. I explain the email problem to him and the first thing out of his mouth was that my acct had been suspended and ask for a reason, since I have been paying on time for the services being rendered in a timely fashion. He told me he did not know why. I explained to him that my email system was not allowing me to receive or send mail. Right off he states he cannot help me, and proceeded to tell about paying for some service to fix the problem or to go to Best Buy and that they could solve my problem. And looked at him at stated, "You are suppose to help me, not send me off to someone else." He further stated he could not the fix for me or provide me with further info, and again told me the cost of some service that they could provide to fix my problem, never explained why.

I have signed up with Cox for their highest tier internet access: 1 Gbps up and down. Frequently (as recently as last night) I measure download speeds of less than 20 Mbps!!! When you call them, or when they send a tech to investigate, they measure the speed to Cox's facilities, which is internal to them, and always close to 1 Gbps. And they claim they are not responsible for the actual internet pipe speed and often blame the hosting sites. This is borderline fraudulent. I have little doubt they are aware of the issue and have decided to take the path of denial.

Today, May 15, 2015 I had a scheduled appointment for a 3 hour install. I wanted until 10;00 the time the text was suppose to be here, and the tech told the dispatch that he could not access my home. I have video cameras all around my house and there is no actual evidence that any person came to my house. When I called, the sales person tried hard who is in Las Vegas to get the tech back, but since he is a liar I don't want him at my home. In San Diego, we are forced to deal with contractors and they don't care if they show up or not. Cox has already a horrible reputation. Why don't they try to fix. The frustration is that we are bound to Cox as they are the provider for my City. I will have to change to Dish Network.

I have had Cox tv and internet service for most of the last 32 years. The service has never been better than fair. If I called every time the tv service, including Contour and dvr, didn't work properly, I would spend hours on the phone every week. The tv and internet service is not working at the moment. Cox says it will be resolved by 6 a.m. It's now 12:05 a.m. They also force you to have a landline phone otherwise it's a lot more for service without it. I'm thinking it's $30 more a month (more or less) to NOT have the landline phone. Ridiculous. I did call in the middle of the night and complained, and the young lady I was talking with gave me a $50 credit. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, why do I continue to use Cox. I almost switched to DirecTV because my friend had great service and pricing from them, but they don't offer internet service. They also require a contract. Cox is month to month if you choose. The other services available either don't offer both tv and internet service, or their service is worse, believe or not. The other companies also will not allow month to month contracts. Anyway, it's now 1:10 (I'm slow at typing) and the tv service just started working. I'm done complaining. Life is great otherwise???

We used to have Cox for TV but switched a while back due to the fact that if it rained at all the signal was always lost. I just found out a week ago (my husband told me after he had found out by accident since no one informed us of this) that Cox was going to discontinue any email accounts that were not associated with TV or internet or other services. I did not have sufficient time to transfer important emails saved in files or go through and look up all the email accounts that needed to be changed. I am very disappointed and frustrated with the lack of information from Cox that they were planning on destroying my email account. I will never use them again. They have horrible service across the board.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.
  • Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.
  • Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.
  • Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.
  • Best for Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Compare Internet Service Providers