Cox Internet
1.57/5
Based on 113 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

502 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018 The worst, this company is responsible for stealing your money, install the service and with two days of service I have been calling them to fix all my problems.

I started with a service that cost $ 199 but went up to 206$ then 243$ and now is 398$ and without the channels that I like and order, I have panoramic wifi that does not work. I have to use the hotspot of my cell phone to use my computer or tablet, now my bill is $398 and it has not been a month. Whenever I call they tell me they will fix it, they will submit a form and I have to wait five days, I went to the store to see if I can get some help and I was told not to call customer service because they do not know what they are doing. Now I have to wait for the other form to be accepted so I do not have to pay the $398. I regret install their service.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Do not let the technician in your house! Never give your Social Security Number ever or have them do a background check on you ever. Do not rent their equipment or they will run a credit report on you. Once you have them run a credit report you will get third party advertisements like crazy. First I wanted to add after reading most of your one star comments that some of you need to grow a pair of balls when you’re talking to these companies. These companies are setup to sell, sell, sell! So do not blame them for pushing you to buy more! When they answered the phone I told them exactly what I want! No TV just Internet! They tried to say they have a package. I said, “Sorry I do not watch TV.” I do watch TV but not the way they want me to watch TV. I watch TV on my own time when I want to anywhere I want to. Do not let these companies dictate what you should have or what you should not have!

RESEARCH!!! The internet is at your fingertips so go research because if you don't yeah it’s going to cost you a lot of money in the long run for being ignorant. 2nd: Buy your own 300mbps (Mega Bytes Per Second) Modem, be careful in buying a 100mbps modem or you will not be able to upgrade to a higher internet, There is a 1000mbps aka 1gbps (Gigabytes per second) usually for small business or famous streamers that have a lot of followers but if that is the case move to California instead of paying a fortune in internet because all streamers get better connection on the West Coast.

Now the modem you buy might not have a all in one wifi, mine are two devices, I prefer to not have an all in one device because these are electronics and modems run hot so if you have the modem burning up with the wifi trying to communicate out with a signal you would imagine they would work from extensive testing. But unfortunately natural PHYSICS does not allow it because heat produces microwaves and when you have a microwave next to your phone guess what happens? Interference!

So I suggest you buy the 300mbps modem on Amazon with Amazon prime that way if you get a bad one you can freely return it. Third: Buy a WiFi Router or aka Wireless Router. I suggest NETGEAR since they have been leading the way in gaming routers lately, anything that is good for gaming is great for anything else because gaming requires 24 hour of productivity depending if your bread and butter is streaming to the masses. I currently have the triband Nighthawk (READ UP WHAT IS TRIBAND ROUTER AND SINGLE BAND) which costed me on Black Friday $75 but the original price was $230, Yeah you won’t see those prices anymore that was like 3 years ago.

Triband routers have three different managed connections, I have all the cell phones connected to the first, My laptop on the second and my son’s Xbox and the 4K TV on the third, meaning that you will not have internet lag called bottlenecking where the information is going slow due to too many devices connected at one time, even if your single and or only have one device I suggest to upgrade to a triband it will be your best purchase! If you have the money go for the latest nighthawk! You will not be disappointed. They have a wizard that sets up your whole network for you but if you’re like me a techy there are lots and lots of bells and whistles and even the latest VPN setup so you can remain anonymous to the world.

Fourth: Like the Realtor says LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! The higher the modem and WiFi router the more coverage but if you’re in a single story or a large house then you might need to use a "MESH" system which are additional small devices that plug into the wall outlets in dead zones of your house. For the sake of continuity I mentioned triband WiFi router so in this case I want to get the Netgear triband wireless extenders called "Nighthawk X4S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender" pretty much this will expand your WiFi coverage especially if your router is on one side and the kitchen is in the middle, remember what I said about microwave ovens and electronic or electrical boxes can all cause interference with your WIFI communication,

SMALL STORY: I worked as a electrician helper in my younger years and most of all of you have never seen the skeletal parts of a townhouse, apartments and how they wire these apartments or townhouse. Have you ever noticed only one thick power line goes to one end of the row of townhouse, house or apartment? You do not want your modem and router located next to your electrical box especially if all the electrical wires of everyone apartment is running through your apartment! You see sometimes it is not the internet provider that is to blame but yourself for moving in on the end where there is a lot of magnetic fields running through your living space, me I live in the middle thank God but I could never live near power lines because I am sensitive to electrical fields, I didn't choose to be. It is what it is and they are still trying to figure that science out.

Ok 5th and final: It is out of your control! DO NOT LET THE TECHNICIAN IN YOUR HOME! Once the technician enters your home you will be charged $50 to $60 even if he didn't do anything! I did get my money back but I had to fight them for it and then I thanked them for returning my money. The technician didn't do anything except criticize my modem and router and they are running in perfect condition, so don't let that technician in checking out your personal modem and router. Next do not rent their modems or anything! You do not need to give them your social security number ever! Do not give it to them ever! Hang up and talk to someone else.

Cox has said the customer is always right but if you do not stand your ground they are going to take advantage of you. Right now I only pay $69 a month for $300mbps and I am military so I might be getting a military discount in comparison to some here. Last but not least you must fight with your legislator and government to allow other cable companies to enter your area, the unfortunate truth is that only one cable company owns the lines, it would be redundant to have 3 cable companies running through your walls as three different cables.

So if your government does not have the knowledge on how this system works they will make bad laws and it will favor the monopoly and not the consumer. Sorry for the run on sentences but I wanted to consolidate everything everyone has complained about and easily produce a solution so you will be better equipped to handle them. With that said education is key to your cable experience survival!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. Made a huge mistake of switching to Cox from Verizon because they were offering a promotional deal for internet services. What followed is an absolute nightmare. They cancelled my order for installation last minute without even informing me and stated unless I showed two forms of id personally to the Cox store they would not put me on schedule. Desperately in need of internet, I had no choice but to go the Cox store where they proceeded to check my IDs and then gave me a date of installation. The harassment does not end there.

When I called the number that the Cox store manager himself had provided to confirm the new date of installation, I was told that there was no such order and I was to wait for at least a week more the installation. So now basically they have cancelled my order twice to accomodate other customers behind. No one has bothered to send a confirmation email for the installation let alone an apology for their screw up. They deducted a security deposit and then illegally did an audit then made dire demands to show my id to the Cox store which is far off from my apartment and finally, they pushed my installation without bothering to inform their customer. Disgusting, unethical, inhumane and discriminatory practices!

Original review: July 22, 2018

Cox Provided high rate at the beginning just for net. I have to get $39.99 for their net cheapest which is $19.99 at present. I changed to $29.99 for lower speed 6 months later and suddenly they send me bill for $52.22 saying promotion changed. There are many option out there with Free net to $19.99 Out there. I do not understand why and how suddenly rate can change to $52.99 with cable box for net only. And how Government can allow them to have monopoly business and pressure clients living in certain locations have to have certain cable connection when these cable company take advantage of consumer changing rate suddenly and pressure them to have bundle plan. I am disconnecting with Cox. Horrible service.

Original review: July 16, 2018

There are 3 of us living in a very small 3 bedroom apartment I can literally hear my housemates. I have been at this location for over 2 years now. Cox WiFi connection issues regularly, about daily, multiple times a day to weekly. And, this happens even when there is literally only one person using WiFi. Now, at one point it was actually resolved for about several months, but then the housemate that bought account moved out, so after reconnecting service all issues returned though we bought same plan. Of course we were then talked into getting panoramic WiFi stating that is why we had issue, so we upgraded to the Cox panoramic router. Then told by other support person that was not what we needed, so given a $2 off discount per month. The customer is always blamed, and the electrical wiring, and no resolution ever made from tech support, to customer service.

The account holder that has router in their room states she never has issues though, and it only affects myself & other housemate though one shares a wall with router, and there is only a small bathroom between my room & router. So, two of us get kicked off repeatedly, when we put in password it states incorrect when it is not, and we have set up account for multiple people & devices. Now, these issues happen to too many people paying for COX WiFi service to be anything other than a COX product issue though they are suppose to be the best & that is why we pay to have this service. Plus, since they have a monopoly what else are we all to do then? There really needs to be an investigation into this especially when rates go up but service goes down how is that even legal!

And, greater accountability & compensation should be given to customer until full resolution made. Any tech person could investigate what I say is true based on the history of our devices & what COX router & WiFi are doing I am sure of this! Someone please start a petition to have this company investigated cause I will sign it! And, service I LOL how is it legal to have a team of customer support that offers no technological sound advice or resolution! I mean really if issues are ongoing then why are they not being taken seriously!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Cox Internet Service is unreliable and Cox technicians and store employees are not given correct status information and therefore cannot be of any help. Internet access is up and down and the customer is always blamed (home wiring or modem) when it is Cox equipment that is at fault.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Cox Communications internet signal drops several times a day. When I called in last week, I was told that it was my modem. A "supervisor" arrived with a trainee, who told me that was nonsense, and that my modem was fine. Ultimately, there was no explanation for the internet interruption. Today while taking a paid for scheduled online class, there was an interruption. My call into Cox today was just as unfruitful as the last one. It's unbelievable to me that this virtual monopoly is allowed to have this level of service in 2018.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After high pressure tactics to buy a bunch of stuff I did not want I finally set an install date for internet... the installer shows up, doesn't wipe his feet, tracks dirt and leaves into the house, never uses the floor mats I have... leaves the outside cable on the lawn... says someone will be by to take care of it (I buried it myself two weeks later) that was a $200 bill. Now two month later and I have to (almost everyday) turn off my internet and restart it to get it to work right. Unreliable internet at a lousy price $97.00???

Original review: June 28, 2018

Today when logged into my Cox Communications account, reviewed current offers for my account and address to upgrade my internet. The offer was for 300 mbps for 85.99 per month. When I clicked on the offer to finalize the upgrade, the price changed in the offer to 94.00 per month. I initiated a chat to talk with a rep about getting the price that was offered of 85.99/ month. Erin, the Cox representative in the chat, said they will not honor the price shown because it was an "online error" then she copied and pasted some legal jargon into the chat about how they did not have to honor the price. I saved the offers.

Original review: June 22, 2018

When works it works but I routinely have to disconnect from it 2-3 times a day to get Apps to work or pages to load using my T-Mobile network. Basically Cox takes a siesta and a nap most days. Including my cable I pay about $150 a month for this crap.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Your internet sucks. I keep getting disconnected, I've had multiple Techs come out plus a supervisor. I was told that the problem isn't in my house. I'm in Chandler, AZ and what the hell is wrong with your internet. I get disconnected at random times, multiple times. This is absolute crap. My only other option is CenturyLink it seems and I'll most likely be changing soon.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Apparently the air is getting thicker or something, because the only fix to get a useful router signal to places that have been in use for years today, was to rent two additional boxes for another $10/month. Three weeks ago our service became unreliable, the repairman fed us a line of nonsense. Showed us his computer with 100mbps speeds while the actual computers in use have fallen from over 30mbps to frequently under 5. His only solution was two additional repeater boxes at $5/mo per. It would be better for the customer to get skilled service help, and a quality network than to keep adding hardware where none was required before. If America didn't allow monopolies, they'd be out of business tomorrow, and we all would be better served.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have been a Cox customer for 8 years and the price keeps increasing and they Charge me 9.99 for a Phone I Can only use 30 minutes a Month? If I do the price Increases, I think they are taking advantage of The Public. I am a Senior Citizen on a Fixed income. I will soon be changing to a better carrier. At least I will be able to use my phone and get a faster netload, I will also mention that they charge for every nook or granny and I get very few Channels. At least other providers give you way more channels. When I get My outdoor Antenna to get more channels I will drop Cox and You Know Where To Put the Cork!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Panoramic is a chip cable internet box you can buy in eBay. For 20.00 dollar you can purchase. The want you to paid 9.00 dollar rental every month and you never have what you paid for and paid for up to 300MB download and never have more than 40MB. Cable TV is ok.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Cox webmail is driving me to distraction. I absolutely hate it. I am in the middle of composing an email and the screen blinks and goes blank. When it refills, there is no draft, nothing for me to begin AGAIN where I left off. Not so with Outlook or Gmail which is why I am running as fast as I can to disengage all that I was connected to involving Cox webmail.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have been a Cox customer for over 10 years and my frustration continues to grow. I do not do anything differently than I did 10 years ago when my internet was $40/month yet they keep increasing my rate and insisting that I buy or rent new hardware. My internet works okay, but is nothing spectacular. A month ago I signed up for a new 12 month promotional contract for $73 to include average speed internet. They then started charging my bank account over $81 the next month. When I called they said there has been a rate increase with no explication or warning. I would switch to any other carrier if there was one in my area. They have a monopoly in my city and take advantage of their customers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I thought since I pay Cox almost $150.00 a month, that they would be willing to help me! Boy was I wrong! The first one says, I can't share your screen and help you, UNLESS you sign up for this service which is only $10.00 a month! So if you want my help, (they are basically saying) pay more and we will help you!!! What the hell is my money going towards anyway??? I hung up on the first person and called back, the second person helped me, although she said, she couldn't come on my screen and she never said why!!! So I disagree with the writer who said, they nickel and dime you to death! No, they $10.00 and $5.00 you to death! As if the rent isn't high enough, everyone else wants to charge me so much, I know now, why there are so many homeless people!!! No one tries to help anyone, just to help them! Everything costs money! I do not get paid enough for this!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

By far the worst service I have ever had! WiFi goes out a lot and all the customer service representatives say is “reboot your WiFi modem”. Some of the customer service representatives are very rude. I called disconnect my service after I moved and the representative was very rude, after she disconnected my service she did not give me a chance to ask any questions. She hung up without saying anything! I will NEVER purchase Cox service again!

Original review: May 16, 2018

My granddaughters accidentally unplugged router and we couldn’t get online which is immediate cause got temper flare ups in my home. I was leveled up to tier support 2 and Vernon was great. Took him about 10 seconds to have me look for the WiFi on button as I have a Netgear router.

Original review: May 13, 2018

The problem with Cox Cable is they nickel and dime you for everything. Everything is a package. I paid way more than I should have just to have a few channels that I wanted to watch. I really only care about the 3 local channels, the History Channel, TLC, OWN, the WC, and the Discovery Channel. To get those I had to pay for so much more. It wasn't worth it and I switched to Verizon.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cox has the monopoly in my area. There is no other to choose from or I would have changed long ago. The speed is average, the price is too high, and it is not reliable. The modem has to be rebooted often too.

Original review: May 11, 2018

As long as everything is working, Cox is great. However, if you have a problem, the customer service representatives are usually inadequately trained and try to charge you extra money and are slow to fix your problem. The good ones are absolutely great -- none better. It's the newbies that drive me nuts.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Whenever I have had an issue with service or my bill goes up - I contact Cox and we work it out together satisfactorily. Not perfect but way better than CenturyLink in so many ways!

Original review: May 9, 2018

They're too high in price, I pay just for internet $80.00 a month, plus tax, plus this, plus that and it seems to get slower and slower and then to increase your speed they want you to up it $5.00 a month, we stopped cable and phone because it was too high, and all they showed was repeats and commercials.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had my share of problems with Cox in the past, lost channels, pic freeze. Now all equipment has been updated to voice remote, I love it and no more problems. I'm very pleased with the new tech.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We get instruction on how to check out our own equipment or where to place modem. They are constantly upselling and can’t seem to keep the internet streaming. Repeated complaints from the neighbors as well as me get nowhere. Denial of service appears to be standard operating procedure.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The installation was improperly completed and they tried several times to correct it... It is still not correct. Speed is not constant and rebooting system happens way too often.

Original review: May 4, 2018

It started out great. Speed was excellent throughout the duration I was on the computer. But after about 3 weeks, I noticed that it was getting slower after an hour online. It's still like this today.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Cox uses an outdated platform and if there had been computers in the 1950s this would have been it. I used to have Comcast and I wish Cox could copy them. Cox also charges more than Comcast for less of everything.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Cox.net horrible in Las Vegas. We have had no phone and no internet for more than 48 hours. Cox has no idea when it will be fixed. People calling my home landline have reached only a fast busy signal for days. I have had zero dial tone for several days. My ISP is zero. We used to have intermittent outages for the past two months. When I asked for help they insisted it was my fault somehow.

My computer works fine off my mobile hotspot and my landline phone is plugged directly into their modem at the D-mark. They only want to send someone out and charge $75 to check my house wiring which is not even in use at the moment. We have had phone calls drop for 2 months. We have had internet dropping with a ping to Cox.net returning only a timeout for about 7 weeks. This is the single worst service I have ever had with any ISP provider. This is the worst landline service I have ever had with any phone provider. And they have the nerve to continuously increase their price every year. This is a total rip-off.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Atlanta
GA
www.cox.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business