Cox Internet
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

421 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Cox is the absolute worst internet provider I have experienced. If you enjoy slow internet (below said amount of mbps given), random disconnections and wasting a good amount of money connect to Cox. Please note that if they say for example they're gonna give you 50mbps; you will probably get 15-25. I advise you very strongly not to use this network. Overall 1/10.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I wish I could give them a negative rating instead of one star... No wonder the reviews score is so low! We’ve been charged for equipment that we’ve never had in our home and if we refused to pay it, they were going to turn us into collections! When we called to ask what the equipment was since we turned everything in, their story changed 4 times! Our service was horrible, went down at least once a day and we are now saving $60 a month since we left them and went to another carrier... I wish we did that sooner! Never again will we EVER do business with this shady company... Total scam!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have 4 phone lines, Internet Service, and Cable TV with Cox Communications. I have CAT5 wiring in my house with 6 termination points and 3 Apple Router devices. Up until a few months ago, I would have stated that I was a very, very happy Cox customer. But a series of problems has meant questioning not only their competence but their focus on the customer. Given that as an industry, they are losing landline business, they are losing cable TV business, you would think they would want to take good care of existing customers paying $400 a month. I had one of the two Cox cable modems fail in my garage--one that was handling 2 phone lines + data.

When they replaced that box, they did so without ANY consideration for how my network is setup and what impact a different box might have on my network. They didn't simply replace the failed box with the same box. They instead installed a box which was both a modem and a router (which I never asked for) and the result immediately required me to turn off my Apple Routers functioning as routers, which then had a cascading impact on my network of making my Sharp Commercial Copier in my home office no longer be seen on the network and my Ring doorbell system say it couldn't find the wireless network.

While any router can be put into bridge mode which would solve the problem, Cox refuses to put the device into bridge mode. It's as if they have installed a trojan horse trying to take over my home wireless network. I just want a cable modem; I don't want a Cox router; I want my Apple routers. I'm still trying to solve the problem. The latest phone call from a young man Friday was to tell me that "no they can't put their device in bridge mode". However, I was told by a local network person that Cox Business does that for their clients all the time because of course businesses have complex networks already running and don't expect Cox to come in and mess them up. As a Cox residential user, I don't expect Cox to come in and mess up my existing network either.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Charging extra for bandwidth speed and imposing data caps is ridiculous. They say that data caps only affect a small amount of Cox subscribers, but how is that even an argument? So basically it's ok to be slimy to a small amount of people for now. It's simply a matter of time before everyone will have to deal with these data caps and they are just getting in early because they know cable tv is dying. Before you know it, your internet bill will be about the same as a combined internet and cable tv bill.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I've been using Cox Communication for years. I have their fastest internet service for playing games and for watching TV with my computer or smart tv. This month they've raised my bill by around $150 per month. They are saying that I download too much, which I guess means that I watch too much tv. If I'm able to stream services how can Cox bill me for what I use from Netflix or Hulu? What in the heck is going on?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have the premium internet package 300Mb down 50Mb up, cannot watch a 30 minute program on DirecTV Now without constant buffering or just disconnects from my Prime TV box/DirecTV Now app. I had U-verse at 75Mb down and 5Mb up before I moved into an area that U-verse doesn't cover and never had these issues. I have a Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem which was the only one they had listed on their website and my data is great but for some reason I can't watch streaming television on their network. Going to change to another provider as soon as I can.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I moved to Nevada from Colorado and was not familiar with Cox Communications, so I figured I'd give them a try. I am working from home and my children also homeschool, so we needed internet right away. I called Cox, and as a given, was told of all these fancy promotions. I advised the girl on the phone that I was only looking for internet. She refused to take this as an answer from me and tried to convince me many times that I needed all these extra services. I told her all I need is internet and I need it quickly so if she couldnt handle pricing it for me, that she needed to get me over to someone that could, or I would resort to calling CenturyLink. Then all of a sudden, she says she is having computer issues (magically!) and will get me over to a supervisor. So I tell this lady the same thing and so she tells me that she can get me a special deal - a bundle package of TV, internet, and phone for $99/mo.

Considering the pricing I saw for this before I called, that was a screaming deal and although l didnt WANT all the extra crap, I signed up for it anyways. "Normal" pricing for this is supposedly $268.00. She promised free installation, an additional free cable box, and the price guaranteed for 1 year, under no contract. Fast forward to getting my bill. THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED. So I call and complain about the price and was told there was nothing they could do and that they do not have any packages for that price.

The lowest they could quote me was $149.99/mo and thats after I took additional fees they charge off that they automatically put on all accounts like Anonymous Call Rejecting and number Non-Publishing... Which totaled $4.49. REALLY?! No discounts, credits, or monetary reversals, no APOLOGIES, no reprimand to the representative that LIED and made FALSE PROMISES, utterly zero compensation to me as a consumer. It’s bad enough that wherever you go, there are internet monopolies to deal with... But this just has me in an outrage as a consumer. Way to be there for your customers Cox… NOT!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

So they have upped their prices by about 25 bucks over the last 3 or 4 years for Ultimate speed. Now it's 104.99. Time to cancel with them. Service was horrible for months with upstream dropping out constantly for about 3 months recently. But sending me a payment confirmation that's totally someone else's is a COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE SECURITY ISSUE. If I was a hacker I could take that information and move that party's service just to be malicious, it displays their full name and their full account number. UNFORGIVABLE. And because I did not receive my own notification, I have to assume they sent my account information to someone else. Dump Cox as quick as you can.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I wanted to send this to express my feelings about my service for over 3 weeks. I've been having trouble with my residential service for over 3 weeks now. I've had 3 different techs to my home and the problem is still not fixed. The last tech was at my home last week and I thought things were ok now. Today an error message is now coming up again. I have a bill due and it has to be paid timely or I get late fees. Well I feel the same about a service I'm paying for and not getting service. I was told there's a outing in the area, well no it wasn't because my mom stays 4 doors down and no issues.

The first tech said he saw no issues, unplugged wires plugged them up and left, the 2nd tech went outside took pictures and said he was sending another tech out to look at the line and no appointment is needed, well that didn't happen, I called customer service and I asked for a supervisor. Well the supervisor didn't want to get on the phone, I overheard the supervisor names Christopher being very ugly in the background. Once the supervisor did get on the line he was very rude, very ugly, would not allow me to speak, he was only concerned with the fact that I may have to pay $75. My only concern is my services. I also have a business line with Cox through my employer. The residential service is causing problems with my business lines which is interfering with my job.

Another tech came last week he changed the box and a cable due to hearing static. Now today not even a few days later I'm having the same issues again!! I am to the point of canceling my service to get another provider because I've been shown that Cox only cares about payment they get and has no care for their customers. I've done all the resetting boxes, unplugging and still no help. But I have a bill due in a few days but service has not been regular in over 3 weeks so what am I really paying for!? I'm very disappointed, very upset that this is the way I've been treated as a customer and even referred others to your service. Due to all the issues and being passed from one rep to another, one department to another and even contacting corporate, I don't even see a point to call customer service anymore because I always get the same nonchalant responses or literally lies about callbacks or follow-ups! I'm very disappointed and unsatisfied!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Continued issue with inconsistent internet service. Internet constantly dropping. Calls to COX result in the static response that I need a new modem and if that does not work they will send someone to our home - for money of course. I have no other option in my area but COX. Their service has been an issue off and on for over the 3 years I have used their service. Customer service does not know what they are doing - they are trained to give the same answer. They have terrible service with connection dropping repeatedly. If you have another internet option in your area I would try them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Cox Ultimate subscriber. Cable internet connection frequently drops out every 3-5 minutes for up to 30 seconds making things like multiplayer gaming impossible. Ongoing issue for 3 years. Cox fails to fix issue with multiple technician visits and different cable modems. Unable to switch providers because of Cox monopoly on service. Fed up.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Because I live in an area where I have no choice of Internet providers, I am stuck with Cox. I have made multiple requests for paper bills to no avail and also enrolled in the so-called autopay option multiple times. Despite my personal and time consuming efforts, I keep receiving past due notices. When I call to complain and ask why this keeps occurring, there are no explanations. Just a statement that I must have not done something despite my receiving written notices that the autopay was set up and that I would be receiving paper bills. I hope that anyone who has a choice will not choose Cox - they are a terrible company with no customer service at all.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Have been fairly happy with Cox for years. They recently put a cap on bandwidth. My only guess is as payback for users cutting the Cable TV usage in exchange for online services. Every speed package limited to 1024GB of data. So even if you have ultimate package... still limited to 1024GB. If you want more data, pay up! lowest data upgrade $30!!! Insane! Hate Cox now.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I signed up for Cox Communications Wireless Service in January 2017 and have had numerous connection and Internet Speed problems since. I work a lot from home and rely on the Internet (my classroom is online). They advertise high speed Internet and at $54 a month they should deliver. I have had them come in to service issues and they say my modem is running hot. The techs have done something and typically that solves the issue for about a month.

Each time, however, they suggest a new modem and their rental service "Amy, I see that you have your own modem, in this case, you can purchase a new modem in order to solve the issue or you can rent a modem from us". I purchased a modem that they recommended on their website so it should not be an issue. When I explained that I have tested it with another provider without issue the tune changed to "Oh, I understand... In this case, I can schedule a technician in order to solve this issue the best way possible, sounds good?" Then after I said yes the issue changed to a temporary outage in the area. I questioned that as there always is a "temporary outage" according to this company and how was I able to use my wireless connection to communicate with him if there was an outage?

My friend, one building away, said his was working fine the other day when the same thing occurred. Then the service guy said he would send a technician; then he said he couldn't until the outage issue was resolved. Every time I visit the Cox page there is a supposed outage and the Internet is running slow - trouble on their end. I have included a screen capture of this exchange and the screenshot of my Internet speed using the device on their website!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We have been COX clients since 2012, but due to the recent limit on data usage, with option for paying for over usage, we decided to move with another internet service provider, that still allows unlimited data. My wife called on September 11th, for canceling the service, and the first time she just got hanged up on the phone, the second time, they said the systems was really slow, bla bla bla, she decided to still wait and cancel, and finally they said that service was cancelled, and a prorated check for the unused services will arrive on the mail.

Well it is September 28th, no check has arrived, I have just been charged for another month of service, we called customer support again, and they said that the system is slow (again), and just asked for a number to call back, whenever they get the system functioning. Funny thing is that, if I go to MyCox profile, and try to access data meter, to take a screen shot where no data has been used since September 11, I have no longer access to that tool, and it just says that I don't have high speed service, which I do, because I am still being charged for Cox Premiere @ 150Mbps. This is a very bad way to end a 5 years business relationship.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Cox is not reliable in Buckeye. I know they are a good company that works everywhere. They suck in Buckeye. We loose connection. My apps freeze it's always searching. I call them still for help.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I like Cox's innovation with the BLUE button that goes where you ask. She sometimes can't understand you, but it is not more than other voice activated controls. Cox once scheduled a service for me when a technician was at my development. I got charged for it, even though the problem was intermittent, and didn't show up when the next technician reviewed the issue. My service has gone out 3 times in the past six months, but Cox always gets a repairman here in good time.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My internet cuts out up to 20-40 times a day and I have to reset my router. I think it is my broke neighbors stealing my signal or something but it gets annoying. I have to wait for whole thing to reload and it takes forever. I complained to Cox about this and nothing was done. Also tv shows the same shows over and over until I could recite the whole show myself. Very disappointed. Plus I pay my bill on the first of every month yet they call at the end of every month and threaten to cut my service for nonpayment, yet they know I pay every month. Plus the prices are insane.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Internet continuously lags and we are paying for the supposedly fastest speed. Cable too high and now charging just to be able to watch your tv with these $3.99 mini boxes. We pay almost $350/mo minimum for Our "bundle savings" and I switched to where it was going to start being paid automatically from credit card instead of bank and started the setup right after my bill was paid to give it a full cycle to take hold and it took longer than a billing cycle so they charged $6.61 fees for late charge and we have been customers for about 20 years or so and you would think they might have waived the fee... But nooo! All about the money and not the customer satisfaction! Rates are super high!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Pretty good service so far and the rates aren't bad either. But for the first month I received no bill and then got hit with a late charge for not paying on time.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have been a customer of Phoenix Cox Communications for 10 years which means nothing to this company. In August 2017 I contacted the company because my bill kept increasing and I no longer wanted to pay such a high price for what they had to offer. I was guaranteed a new rate for a year by one of their reps. As of the second billing that rate disappeared and my bill is even higher than when I first called. I called again and was on the phone for over an hour and now my new rate is closer to what I was given in August but higher. This company has more tricks and plays more games than any other company I have dealt with. They are now up there with car salespeople. I kept asking what happened to the "guaranteed" rate I was given in August and the answer was that the previous rep didn't look into my account package. This is nonsense and I have to find another solution. I have had it with Cox. I didn't want to give any stars but am forced to give them 1.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I gave Cox some low marks as they can be very slow at downloading my e-mail, and at times so slow that I lose connection. Other times I receive the message "Forbidden". It is particularly bad on my iPad, and I have been so annoyed that I have considered changing providers. I cannot recommend them for e-mail, but that is part of my bundle.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

When I moved locally Cox rep told me that there would be no charge for transfer. I was skeptical about using them but I okayed the move. A month later they charged $75 for the transfer. When I called to disconnect the rep told me he'd waive the charge but not if I disconnected. He was very flippant. I said go ahead and disconnect. He refused to transfer me to a supervisor then hung up. The second rep hung up as soon as I verified my information and told her I wanted to disconnect. Their wait time is 10 minutes or so and refused to negotiate it by chat. I've never had this much trouble disconnecting from any service. The third rep told me she'd have me disconnected. My complaint is regarding their refusal to refund my transfer fee. I would never have transferred for a fee. I'm switching to ATT. Cox will Never get a dime of my money again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Internet has been going in and out all morning. Finally got up and did the reset dance on the modem router. Then on the extender. And that worked but I shouldn't have to do that 3 times a week. They were suppose to come out and change a box for an updated one, but that never happened. So I call and they have all these criteria to wade through... Press 1 if your problem is... Press 2 if your problem is...

But if you want to purchase something you'll be talking to someone in nothing flat. And then there's the attitude they present to you. And that is that. You, yeah me, are expendable!!! People like me made your business. I've been with you guys for twenty years!!! I know that if someone were loyal to me for twenty years I'd go way out of my way to keep them happy. Not Cox. What they do is tell you it's all your fault. Something is wrong with your system. But then you think, well how come when I reset the modem router it works fine for a limited time? The signal is being manipulate by Cox. Stronger and weaker according to their motives. I expect that this company's practice and procedures border on criminal. And they will at some point go down because of these shoddy practices.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Cox in a word STINKS. There have been numerous occasions that I have waited awhile for my email to connect, and have contacted them to rectify the situation only to get the royal runaround. More than once their representative insisted it was the modem, found it suspicious since my wife's computer had absolutely no problem in connecting. The majority of their representatives have not a lick nor prayer on how to help resolve any easy problem. I have also been laced on IGNORE when they are searching an answer to my problem.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Cox Internet is OK, But the price for the speed, + service is too high and they don't offer free help if have viruses such as malware, adware, spyware etc. I pay $75.00 a month.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Email changed and it is very difficult to use now. I have had other trouble with transferring service. They overcharged me and their bill is so complex that it would take some kind of code to decipher. My phone and TV didn't work and required additional service calls.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have had it with COX. I am not sure how this company be in business with the service that they provide. I have filed a BBB complaint today. Hopefully they will have a response for me. Anyway, I had a two year contract with them. After paying through the nose, I was ready to cancel, except they promised me a deal that I could not refuse. Alas, the bill came, and the deal was not to be found. In the meantime, I am with them on the phone at least a dozen times, getting literally kicked on my teeth by their so called customer service group etc. I have very little hope, after reading all the awful comments about this company in ConsumerAffairs, I am not sure, if anything can be done to this company? This company needs to close down - PERIOD!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I will be as short and sweet as possible. Since we started with the service last year August 2016 it has been one thing after another. Mostly service related. After installation they had to come out several times because the system would shut down and we couldn't reboot. Once that was "fixed" we are constantly have to reset the system as it freezes up, the wifi disconnects. It's horrible having to spend time to have to deal with this.

The last straw was today getting our bill that was 40 dollars higher because "The contract you signed clearly states you are in a 24-month contract but that only protects you for a short while against retail rates. This is a promotional rate." Meaning they can increase your rates whenever. I was also told to read my statement more clearly because it states the same thing. We were told our rates lock in for 2 years. I am aware of the promotions that change after a year of service but they don't write nor say that clearly. They don't care. The rep, Sherri was very flippant on the phone. I told her. Would let anyone and everyone I know how underhanded Cox works and will never do business with them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

9-07-2017 Most people do not check their download speed to see if they are getting what they pay for every month, but I do, on a regular basis!! Cox cable in Ocala FL is a very corrupt company. I am paying for 15 mbs download speed. They turned off my DOCSIS 2 modem, so I bought an Arris 3.0 modem. When I first had it activated, I check my speed and it was a little over 15 mbs download. The next day, my speed dropped to around 2 mbs. I thought the modem was bad, so I sent back the Arris and I bought a Netgear CM700. I had it activated and checked my download speed and it was a little over 15 mbs. Now, it’s the next day and my download speed is again down to 2 mbs download. I believe Cox is doing this on purpose, because they are trying to force people to pay money every month, to rent their modem. You will notice that the only time I get 15 meg, is the first time I test. I wonder what the FCC would think about this practice.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs