Cox Internet

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

466 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

I had nothing but trouble with Cox. In 4 month that I got my service from Cox, I had nothing but trouble, they say they will send a technician to the house but tech is working as individual contractor and charge you $75.00 for coming over and when you complain about it Cox say it would reflect your credit. Never get service from this company. They never help you or service your needs.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Let me tell you this and you had better get this, and get this good. I have had your "techs" in my apartment and every single one of them are worthless. I am not paying another dime for absolutely no service, and furthermore I can to your "techs" jobs in my sleep, why I am just that damn good. I have been lied to, I have been ripped off by your company but untold thousands of dollars, I have invested thousands in my own equipment, thousands in my own maintenance and repair work. If I did not have a drop amplifier in line to my digital cable box I would not get hardly anything.

One other thing, you still have not removed the bogus and illicit charges off my account, and I am being billed one bogus late fee after another. This war has gone on since January 2017 if not before then. I will continue to speak out on every platform I can find and let people know how horrible of a company you truly are. You cannot silence me, I will go to the FTC if you do not remove the bogus charges immediately if not sooner.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 8, 2018

After a recent move, we were left with Cox as the only internet provider solution, and if there were ANYTHING else available, I would switch in a heartbeat. We lose connectivity at least 2 times a week. Just today, we lost connectivity twice. Service is sporadic and slow, and customer service is lackluster, at best. We pay quite a bit for the service bundle we have selected, yet Cox can't seem to keep us connected for any meaningful amount of time.

Original review: April 1, 2018

For years I had cable and internet with Cox. We moved into a new house in 2010 and transferred that service and added phone service also. When that bill went to $220 a month, we cancelled the cable and phone keeping only the high speed upgraded internet service. For almost a year now, our internet service goes out every single day, and some days multiple times. Cox SUCKS, but unfortunately there is nothing else here as far as internet providers. They need to either reduce their prices or actually provide the service you pay for. Hate them!!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Cox is absolutely the worst. They charge you unbelievable fees for EVERYTHING ranging from $100-$200. And they tack on fee after fee. After paying $393, I was told that I still had a balance of $284, after paying that they’re saying that my new bill is $732 for just WiFi and Homelife. RIDICULOUS! How can my bill be $732 after paying them almost $600 in a week. Customer service isn’t any help, they try to explain all these extra fees and it just doesn’t make any sense.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have Cox internet 300/30 speed I pay $115. On my three year old MacBook Pro the speed test states 334/32. That's nice since I only pay for 300/30. On my wife's Dell I7 three years old also, the speed test is 65/12. So what I am saying is you will not get the high speed unless your equipment can handle the high speed. I see so many reviews stating you do not get the speed you pay for. Look at my situation. It probably is your equipment. Do not pay or complain about high speed internet unless your equipment can handle the speed. NOT ALL COMPUTERS ARE EQUAL. Her Dell was a little over 800. My MacBook Pro was 2450. Also Google neighbors affecting my wifi.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been a loyal Cox customer for about 20 years; right now I have bundled service with them. My lukewarm 3 stars is because in spite of the fact that they give me a loyalty discount every year (you have to call and ask for this), I still feel I am paying too much. I've had problems with streaming to my television; at least every two weeks there's a message on the screen saying I'm not connected to the internet, when the WiFi (which they installed) is connected just fine and I'm receiving internet on my plugged-in computer in the other room. I usually have to "goose" it by unplugging the set-up for several minutes, which seems to work.

I also have my internet go out at least every two weeks, then have to call and work through their automated system to get them to refresh the modem. And last week there were problems with their voicemail system not working in this area. Their customer service is mostly very pleasant and helpful, but I don't think I should be having to call for these issues in the first place. I get the feeling the wheels are falling off this provider, and things will only get worse. And the price keeps going up.

Original review: March 21, 2018

8 years ago I had Cox as my Internet and cable provider. I had problems with my cable box every single month for four months. I had to bring the box in and exchange it for new one so I lost all my recorded shows every month. They never even apologized or gave me a discount for their crappy service. Not to mention I got a different excuse every single time (lies & more lies). I moved into a big house with my roommate who already had Cox and complained about it. The Internet dropped roughly 5 to 10 times a day (this is not an exaggeration). I told her about my previous problems so we switched to another provider.

Seven years later I signed up with AT&T U-verse but they failed to show up for two appointments so I reluctantly got Cox communications again. They told me that their equipment has improved dramatically and that I probably won’t have any problems. The first two months I didn’t notice any problems but then again I wasn’t home very often. After that the Internet started dropping three or four times a day! I think if a business is going to offer a product or service it should work. Dear Cox - NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Spoke to too many representatives telling me my services were up and running during a 3 hour increment. First, I spoke to a sales rep who had indicated I could install myself or have a tech come by. She also let me know how much each would cost in difference. Of course I said self install. What I wasn’t aware of was that it depended on the previous installation of the previous house owner, especially if I had a preference for which room! Making it that it did all depend on the tech coming out to install where “I” wanted it.

Aside from that, like I mentioned, I spoke to too many reps and I told them something wasn’t right with the services. I couldn’t hook up my internet, again still not aware of anything that could interfere and me getting internet all day. Each time, each rep only verified the serial # of the modem and said to give it 5-10 mins. That my services were active. Mind you, it’s my day off so I’m trying to figure out the next 7 hours more why it’s not working while trying to move from my third storey apartment into my new home. In depth, I’m doing this by activating an online account, getting familiar with it, checking my computer, my cellphone for WiFi, etc...

Once I got a chance to “call” again the line doesn’t let me through. Says it doesn’t recognize my PIN! I end up bypassing some prompts and getting a live person, her name is Latoya. By this time it’s 12am. She ends up indicating that my services were NOT actually activated and this is why I don’t see on my Cox Account the services I signed up for! She also asked if I knew if the previous owners had internet there installed, I said, "I assume so." This is now, out of all the reps I’ve spoken to, the one to ask if perhaps I’m installing in a room that doesn’t have a coaxial cable working. That I’ll have to find a room that does. Which pinpoints to my previous indication. That apparently no matter what I didn’t have the option to self install after all being that I had a preference to which room, and that room had an unavailable coaxial that worked for them!

So I had no active service all day! Spoke to too many reps who all said everything was hooked up and ready to go!!! I never had this problem with CenturyLink. No problem about a coaxial plug in and preference. And I find it funny that they couldn’t fix such awful experience for a first time customer or a corporate number to call. Let alone a place to put a review!!! Such a scam. Who’s going to pay the self-installers for fiddling with connections all day and being told by all their reps that on their end everything is good to go... yet we have to pay $75 for a tech to come by! I had to make so many phone calls until midnight, when I was able to get someone who verified services were not actually active.

My last conversation was with supervisor, Melanie, who repeated many times, “Well we can send a tech out there but you need to understand there’s still a service charge of “up to” $75, depending on the discretion of the tech.” Plain ridiculous!!! Going to do my research and get it elsewhere. Don’t recommend that AT ALL!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

20 year customer with Cox and bill continues to increase as service decreases. Have had 150mbps high speed Internet for 2 years and not once have seen speeds over 75 wired or wireless. Have had multiple service techs out and Internet has declined. Average speed is 10mbps download. Constant crashes and no answer or resolution from Cox. Just higher bill every year!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I had to cut my service with them since they keep increasing their rates. They don’t even honor their contact. They charge me 112.54 for 17 Min call to international country, Even I had contract package for all my calls. Their answer is, this particular country is not in the list. Never go back to them.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was a loyal customer to Cox. Even when my bills continued to climb. I called one day and had my services lowered to another package due to the increase in my bill. They continued to still charge me the same. I called again to see why no changes had been made. They had on record that I had called. When I requested them credit the extra money I had paid them. They denied it. Then I moved and changed internet providers because the other was way cheaper. I returned my equipment like I was told. 2 years later, guess what?? I owe them 800 in equipment fees. I told them that this was returned 2 years ago when someone picked up it from my home. They have no record of this. I need proof from a receipt. I will take responsibility for not keeping a receipt from 2 years ago. But they are ripping people off if this is a common thing! I am in the process of purchasing a home and had no choice but to pay it!! I'm infuriated!!!

Original review: March 3, 2018

After a period of intermittent internet service we do deed to cancel our plan and try a different provider. After calling to confirm we were not on a contract period we canceled our service. To our shock we received more bills. Then our service (according to them) was turned back on? We were then credited back our last payment and charged field delivery/pick up fees and then late and missed payment fees. Totaling $700. Giving Cox a 1 Star is way more generous than they deserve. Should be reported to the BBB.

Original review: March 2, 2018

When by some miracle their service is actually working, it moves slower than a one legged dog on **. Apparently prices were raised without any notice. When I called regarding the price hike, I was treated with zero respect, which I am used to from calling them several times a week to complain about their horrible speeds and constant outages. When I asked for a copy of my original agreement and copies of the alleged letters they sent regarding the upcoming price change, they told me it would be $5 per page. I wish I could give 0 stars, I hate this company more than anything.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

As stated, CA asks for accurate reviews or in essence honest reviews. Here goes: I moved to an area that Xfinity does not service and had a choice Cox or Dish(s)? I have done the Saturday before and while they worked it was great but one storm and...well you know! Always during the bug game it goes out! I was first impressed by the prices of the packages with Cox and thought these out of state customers with 1* reviews...must be the areas, not GA, not my area! Then the old saying "you get what ya pay for" creeped in and made me do some recon in the neighborhood. Is my neighborhood on the take or are they all related to Cox employees, because get what ya pay for is true to be the case here with Cox.

I ordered Silver with 2 DVR Boxes, one DVR box records six shows at a time the other only two and a mini box. The prices are all different! Note* Cox make one DVR box and simplify your lives and ours! Now, I get a quote and have to lay out a deposit that I never had to put out for any other cable provider. Is this Sears, Fingerhut or Cox for crying out loud. Cost $225! Options: You can pick up and self install, or have installed. I chose to pick up! Cox calls me and says "a guy needs to come out and check the outside wires because they have not been used in a while, good news Mr. ** it's a free service and the tech will install your equipment too. Wow! Zero-Personality tech shows up! Ready for this... He changes no cable wire outside that needs to be replaced. Damaged from elements, he says, "Nahhh. You're good!"

He does not say anything or ask where I would like the, remember the DVR's, equipment setup? He plugs the modem and one box into the wall under my smart the and the other box in our bedroom. WITHOUT ASKING! I say to him, "Sir do you have the "6 show DVR on the big TV?" His reply: "Ehhh! You don't need those DVR Boxes. They cost money and most shows are available the next day." "Really? Great, thanks for the information. So you have me standard non DVR Boxes and don't have the mini, that's ok we will get by!" Politely show him the door asap. 3 weeks later $20 charge for the visit. Now if the tech installed wire and tacks I would have paid it but he left a birds nest of wires in both rooms and remember never asked and decided to install non DVR Boxes. That's day one! There is more since I have 50,000 characters why not!

My game system, for my nephew not hooked back up or touched the wrong speed for DSL was programmed and my smart TV settings not setup neither. Xfinity does this for free! Within one week I finally get unpacked to set up our home offices. Go by the clips and wire to run and self-install the modem and boxes with tie straps so no more birds nest of cable and wires can be seen. BTW took me 10 minutes to make it look nice! Since then the up/download speeds on Ookla are nowhere near the high range with the 300 Mbps speed. (40-75) per wifi computer actual (10-25) after only 2 weeks. The cable boxes both surge or freeze all the time. Call tech support or chat and the ultra security questions to answer take longer than the phone call.

Please hold! Checking! Rebooting! Checking! Now hold please!! What was that code again, Sir? Ok all fixed. Thanks for being a loyal customer, (only a customer for a month) take care click! "Not" is the answer to every tech issue, in the Cox CSR book, unplug box!! I am beginning to believe it is. Next, do even think about asking them to adjust the due date. I budget. I want to pay all my bills in the same week. Cox "can't do it or you lose the promotion price!" So, the company would rather lose a customer than adjust a due date? Hmmm. And the CSRs I have spoke to were like I was speaking to a band of ADHD patients. One guy "no problem we will move that date to the next one" who is Mad at the world and you can just read and sense the how dare you ask for another due date.

Yours is the 25th, period! If I change it you won't pay $150 a month your bill will be $460 'cause you lose the promotion. Sorry! It costs $310 to move the due date from the 25th to the 30th? Huh? Lastly, the local office is a trip. The manager is great. I met him once. He takes care of things. Why do I say that you ask, well I have called that local one 8 times in five weeks and stopped by after work 4 times. No manager! Haha. And of course, Billy, he's 16. It's his first job ever and he knows technology but can't make any changes. Only sales so still hunting that guy. I finally said to myself, "Self, you need their service for internet. The reviews are the reviews. Make a decision!" I did.

If the tech that comes out to my place tomorrow does not do what I want them to do I am going back to Dish and then the Fire stick. If you are reading this Cox here is some advice, "The apple don't fall too far from the tree". If this many people are giving you 1* then wouldn't you want to fix it? I saw greedy money, hungry monopoly, poor management, bad etiquette, no CS, poor CS, misinformed CS, bad techs, no refunds all of these are signs of a damaged infrastructure that is outdated. This is 2018 and people don't want excuses or unpleasantries when dealing with cable and internet. Tighten it up. Soon you will be competing with online tv in real time full scale and you will lose all those older folks you rip off due to time and end up with a worse moral in that workplace. Raise the pay for your workers to keep quality CSR on the phone and whatever you do don't outsource to 3rd world. I despise that!

Final thoughts. If you are old school then Cox is good. The promo price is good then discard and look for cheaper promo or hope by then that the World wide web creates it's on free internet and TV. I would have went with Dish, which is super cheap, but the weather here always knocks it out. God forbid the kids lose the signal. Also get rid of the remote and copy Xfinity. Yours is too much and half the buttons don't work or need unless you want to start your car set the alarm and make a cup of coffee from your couch. All of this way "my experience" it's true and I wish it wasn't. My country and the last few American companies are slowly getting bought out by overseas.

I have never had to write a review like this for cable/internet ever. I hope the company does read this because Cox has some really good bundles when things work. When I was young I always blamed someone or an employee but over the years I have learned that employees are only as good as the employer. Fix it up Cox for longevity's sake. I will drop you like a hot sweet potato if the shenanigans continue and go to ATT. "We get what we pay for". Oh PS Xfinity would compensate customers for any troubles. Say late tech appointment or inconvenience things! They smartened up and this is the difference between a winner and a shower. Xfinity gave me premium channels for 6 months because a tech did a poor job, all of them. Brilliant move because at the end of six months.

That's right I upgraded to the premium channels that started a new contract. Cox abandon the 'no contract" clause and offer 6-9-13-18-24 and so what if someone has to break it and does not pay the break fee you will get um back again. If Xfinity was in my town you would never have read this. Market by mistake! I call it! Get with it Cox or you will be swallowed up! Pros Cox No contract, decent prices. Cons Heavy deposit, poor CSR, outdated infrastructure. Happy Trails.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Yesterday morning I woke up to find my email not working which I receive from Cox Communications. I chatted with Cox's tech help. The first tech said Cox was not working on the system overnight and started the lengthy canned "help" sequence like checking all my settings. Ridiculous -- why would my settings need to be checked 12 hours after they worked? In this process I was cut off from the first chat tech. I signed in again. The second Cox chat tech was unable to connect me to the first tech, so I had to start over, same script, same advice BUT this guy told me I didn't have a username on my account and my pin number was wrong and the last 4 digits of my ss number were wrong so he couldn't verify I was who I was or that it was my account. I disconnected and called customer service.

The first thing at the call was an electronic message that Cox HAD been working on the system and there were possible email interruptions. The phone tech verified that things were awry with my account information and restored them and arranged for a live tech to visit my place later the same afternoon -- that was a welcome surprise! The live tech guy determined that something or someone had changed the modem identification number on my account at Cox's records. He was able to correct that. He also confirmed that my account was suddenly missing those key pieces of information and helped get it corrected but since it required a new password I had to change THAT in several places on my computer to have my Cox mail bounce to my Apple mail on my iMAC. Dominoes, like dominoes.

Point: Cox never alerts you ahead of time to whether they are doing something that will crash your account, their customer service survey is limited to your appreciation of individual tech people who are not responsible for the problems only for fixing them thus sheltering any aggregated report of customer dissatisfaction about the Company and shifting it to its workers. AND the second chat tech before he fixed the problem changed hats and tried to sell me more Cox services "because I would save money." What crap!

I use to have TV, Phone, and Internet with Cox but cut the cord except for Internet because they are about the only game in town [why is that?] because my TV and Phone service went down all the time and when I lived in another city served by Cox, it took them more than a year to replace a cable known to be faulty because it ran under a busy street. Maddening. The main problem with Cox Customer Service is that it takes them too long to find problems, never own the problem and focus on solving problems in a not-intuitive, canned way. If it isn't in the script they use say at chat you will NEVER reach a solution. LAST: Cox jobs out repair techs where I live. Every tech changes something or complains about the way the previous tech did things, wired things, etc. The whole thing is maddening. Can anyone suggest a different internet provider? Why are there so few?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I've had Cox phone, Internet and TV since I moved here in October 2017. I have had 6 appointments with technicians to fix problems. Three appointments were cancelled without even telling me, so I just sat here all day waiting for nobody to show up. The other three appointments, they showed up, but left here leaving the same problems. The LAST visit they did something different, and now my "up to 100mbps speed" that I pay for is down to 13.7 download and 6.32 upload... nowhere near 100mbps. I'm trying to cancel my services, but they won't shut it off. I have made more than 20 demands for them to cancel.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have been a Cox customer (er, living beta tester, over-charged sucker) for 21 years. Why: I don't have great options where I live and much of my personal and business correspondence has been tied to my Cox email account, which I've been reluctant to change. Unbeknownst to many customers like me, Cox has been undergoing a painful back-end email conversion for at least a year. I have been caught up in their technical hell, in a place called "Dual Provisioning," where my email is somewhat stuck between the old system and the new one.

For two months, I have not been able to access my email through my computer or smartphone. They seem satisfied that I can use their pathetic webmail system, which won't even allow you to adjust line spaces, let alone add a graphic business signature. After 21 years, and two months of hell in this madness, they've basically told me to pound sand, that their email is a "courtesy" offering connected to the internet service I pay for. They are trying to protect themselves legally, nothing more. After 21 years, I will be leaving them for good soon. I can't wait to part ways and I will never, ever, ever, ever spend another penny, as long as I live, on Cox Communications. I hope they go bankrupt and bet they will!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The later it gets at night, the worst the internet gets... I try to play my games, not far away from my router at all, 5 bars, but it takes about 5-10 seconds for the game to respond to my actions because of the internet. I had been on a more expensive, "better" plan when I had thought I was on the worst plan EVER. I cannot play any games without not being able to see actions of other players for as long as 20 seconds until I finally get disconnected. And guess what? Still 5 bars. ARE YOU SURE? Because it sure doesn't seem like it. AT ALL.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have Cox Internet and email, phone and cable bundle. I use Apple Mail as a client so I don't have to look at ads and I can have my stored files set up how I want them. Recently, Cox sent out new port settings. Somehow, this port change caused all my Cox accounts to fail. I called Cox to try to help me get back my email accounts. There service people know practically nothing. They had me delete one of my accounts saying it would come right back with the new settings. It didn't and all the changes they made caused the other accounts to fail. To make matters worse, I was hung up on twice and the third person said that they just didn't know how to deal with mail clients. I suggest everyone take their business elsewhere until they can get some people trained to deal with this. I am going to cancel my account with them even though I have had them for 20 years.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If I could put less than one star, I would! COX internet is incredibly unreliable and their customer service seems to have forgotten they’re supposed to SERVE THE CUSTOMER! Our internet went out yesterday for no apparent reason, so after spending a frustrating afternoon trying to deal with them, we finally were able to schedule an appointment for the following day for between three and 5 o’clock. Because they were trying to call the wrong number, and couldn’t get a hold of us, they canceled the appointment. We were sitting around waiting all day for the technician to come and fix the Internet, and now they canceled the appointment.

We called to check on why they hadn’t come and they told us, "Oh it was canceled". They then told us that they don’t schedule same day appointments and so we’d have to schedule it for the next day for between three and 5 o’clock. We’ll see if they show up! Cox is a terrible company and if we had any viable options in our town we would definitely be going with them! A VERY FRUSTRATED CUSTOMER!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Unable to send or received email for days in Omaha. Had urgent, time sensitive documents that needed to be sent. Called Cox and got the usual inexperienced rep. You can hear them on the phone turning pages of a manual in order to figure out what to do. No help. Then I called again and got someone else. They could not help either but revealed that "we are in the process of moving emails from one server to another." Turns out they weren't supposed to mention this to their customers. They never even had the decency to inform us about this. Email accounts were not showing up, etc. Finally contacted Apple Support and had to set up email accounts again! COX SUCKS.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Lessons learned the hard way. We just closed our store, and canceled all utilities/services. We had Cox Communications for our phone/internet service. Apparently when they contacted us last year and said we needed to sign an updated contract to maintain our current rates, there was a clause that included an early cancellation fee equal to the entire contract! Add to the "final" bill. $6,600 for the remaining 28 months. The business closed. Out of Business! What do they think?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My husband and I have experiencing internet problems for the past 2+ months. The service is spotty when we watch movies on Netflix, when we use FaceTime and when we are using our computers. Technicians have been out to fix, but they said there is no problem. In fact, one tech just came this week and advised that all was working fine! Today, I contacted COX on the customer service chat line to complain again... And now I am told the modem needs to be replaced??? Argh! Do they not understand that we had to spend personal time WAITING for the tech to come... The problem was not fixed... Now they want to replace the modem??? So frustrating that we are paying such a high fee every month for a service that is not being delivered! I really wish there were alternatives to COX!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Overpriced trash service. 90/mo for internet. 90/mo for phone. Cancel and somehow internet magically costs 140/mo and phone that you no longer have now costs 129/mo. I will definitely be cancelling at the end of my contract and adamantly steering people away from Cox. COX = THIEFS!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I (over)pay a price of $70 for 100 megabits download/second speed. After purchasing a new Surfboard modem and NetGear router, which are both fantastic products, I paired them with this lousy Cox internet package. The internet worked alright, being consistent most of the time, but still dropping out for about 5 minutes at a time. This happened at least once a month, and usually it would happen during a match of a video game for my son, or while I was watching a live stream on YouTube. This was incredibly inconvenient, causing us to lose progress or sit with a buffering logo for minutes. This was the routine up until about a week ago. I noticed vastly slower internet speeds, with constant buffering on YouTube videos, and my son's video games lagging to the point of unplayable. I ran a speed test (speedtest.net) and was only getting 20 megabits/second, only 1/5 of what I'm paying for.

I called Cox support to figure out what was going on, whether it was on my end or theirs. After sitting on hold for 30 minutes, yes, 30 minutes, the customer service representative was rude and unhelpful. I know this couldn't possibly be a trouble on my end, since both of my products are relatively new (3 months old now) and this issue happened overnight and totally randomly, much like a Cox outage would be. Some of my neighbors on the same internet square as I made chatter about slower internet as well.

After insisting it was on my end and they had to send out a technician to figure out what's wrong, the supervisor cleared the cache on my modem and reset it, which effectively did nothing at all. Cox is a horrible company full of the scammer mindset, and really don't care about their customers. Their prices are outrageous, and their service is complete junk. Do not recommend anyone get service with Cox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I currently have Xfinity/Comcast at my home in Minnesota and DirecTV before that. I never had any billing issues with them. However, I have misled more than one by Cox. I have gotten to the point of only using their chat feature so I have documentation. They have misled my more than once on their billing. I don't trust them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We have been experiencing internet problems for the past 5 months. Our service is intermittent. I replaced all equipment and still experienced problems. I have contacted Cox and they have since set out 2 technicians. The first technician replaced all wires coming in from the street box, checked my equipment and said that the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, we continued to have the same dropped internet for extended periods of time. We contacted Cox again and was told by tech support that we still have a failed signal, and that the previous technician did not complete the job. We were also told that we would not be charged for service for the time that we have not been receiving service.

The second technician came out, he also checked the wiring, replaced some wires that the previous technician replaced and then told us that the problem was with Cox's box by the sidewalk and that he would be putting in a work order for work to be completed within a few days. That day came and went and no one was out to fix the internet. A $55 dollar charge was also placed on our bill from this technician after he filed his job as complete and that the service provided was a faulty self install.

Another call to Cox was made, the charge was supposed to be removed and tech support put in yet another work order. We are still waiting for a follow up for that call and for a technician to repair the box. We decided to go through chat support since the $55 dollar charge was not removed and our service was still not working. Another work order was put in for the next day, and we have still yet to see Cox arrive and fix the box. This ongoing communication has been going on for a month. Cox clearly does not care if their customers are receiving service for what they are paying for. I am not quite sure who to contact next since every customer service representative spins the same tale and the problem is never solved. Cox is good for providing poor customer service, lack of problem solving skills.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have to live with Cox for quite some time because there is no other service providers in the area. With time their prices went up extremely high and I continued to downgrades as I cannot afford it. They say because of regulations no one can compete in our area and Cox Communications continue to rip people off. How can customers be protected from the monopoly and rip off from them. Hope someone will look into these...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I am not a huge fan of Cox Internet. It seems we pay for high-speed internet; but get "low" speed service at our residence. They're expensive; but we don't have a lot of choices where we live. When I called to have someone come out (the router & modem got hit by lightning), the service person came out in a timely manner, was very courteous & had us back online in no time.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs