1.14/5

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

606 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

Cox is great. I pay $117 for 300/30 speed. I test and I always get over 300 on my MacBook Pro (paid $2400 for). My tests show I get 334/35. Yippie. To all you people complaining about slow internet we’ll hook your devices up to the fast short distance 5g WiFi signal. Not the slow far signal 2g. Also don’t be poor. Internet costs over a $100 and a medium computer costs over $2000.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent -- high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We have been having issues with 4 technicians coming to our home and not resolving our internet and cable issues. When Felipi arrived I said, "not another one" but with confidence said he will take care of us. In minutes he fixed the problem. And knew exactly what he was doing. Never had we had someone like Felipi. Thank you so much. We are very pleased with your work from Cox. Definitely requesting him again.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I was charged by this company for a piece of equipment I never had. I spent over 3 hours on the phone over 3 weeks explaining my story and being transferred around. Multiple people told me the issue was being resolved, but nothing was ever done. Eventually I was told there was nothing they could do and had to pay for equipment I never had in my possession. Will never use or recommend this company again. Terrible customer service and was treated with disrespect from almost all representatives.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Feb 2018, I initiated service with Cox for one of my residences. I completed my order online and designated that I would provide my own internet equipment. I purchased an Arris modem from OfferUp 1/2018 to be used when I initiated my service. I can contact the seller to attest to this. The only equipment that I needed from COX was a contour box and mini box for TV. The technician came in March to install the boxes. Never did he install any phone as I didn't have a phone nor have I ever used a phone on this account. The only equipment that was delivered by this technician was the TV equipment. I have two other people who were present during installation that can attest to this. I kept service through COX for over a year and was never charged for any equipment other than the Contour box and mini box that they provided. According to Cox website, their Wifi modem carries a monthly rental charge of $9.99/month.

Fast forward to now that I have canceled my account, I returned the TV boxes that belong to COX, that I paid the rental charge for every month. Now COX is charging me $122 for the modem that they didn't provide. At no time, did a technician bring any phone nor internet equipment to my home. I already had my equipment which I noted when I placed my initial order. Over the year I had the service, I never paid for any modem rental from COX. I questioned this at the physical COX store in Hampton, VA and I was met with very rude and abrasive employees. One was a floor person and the other was actually the manager of the store. I attempted to educate them on the situation and they were not open to listening and would not provide me any documentation regarding the alleged equipment that they "provided." They also would not give me contact information for superiors. I had to leave the store without any answers.

I was just told to call CS, which I have several times. Twice I've been told they would investigate and twice no one has called med back. The only communication has been a past due notice I got for the $122, although it was supposed to be being investigated. The young lady I spoke with 6/29/19 stated she would push the bill date back to July 15,2019 so they could look into the matter.

Now I'm being threatened to be sent to collections for $122 for equipment that I purchased from a third party. I've asked on various occasions for the technician notes and documentation stating that I was provided with this equipment from COX. The only thing they can say is that it shows installed- it doesn't show who provided what. I called again today, to the local COX number 757-224-1111 at 9:36 a.m., to follow-up on the matter. Again, no one can assist me. I was told by a supervisor to take my documentation to the physical location that I've already gone to where they refused to assist me. I was subsequently disconnected with no assistance provided.

At this point, even though I have documentation showing that I've never been charged for a rental, I initiated the order with my own equipment and I purchased the equipment third party, COX refuses to fully investigate or provide any resolution besides telling me I will either have to give them to equipment I paid for through a third party or pay $122 or they will send me to collections. I have no reason to steal from COX as I don't have service through them any longer and never will use them again at this point.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: July 17, 2019

I moved to Vegas for lower rent thinking I can be a streamer from everywhere but this is obviously not the case. My internet has cut out everyday. I’ve been here 10 months paying $99.99 for nothing. This week the net has been in outtage with no plans on when it will return to normal service which never worked here to begin with. I’ll be canceling today. I’ll take my chances using mobile internet until it’s time for me to move back to California where there’s options. You’ve put major dents in my income. I’ve never been so disappointed with a service in my life.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Man, where to begin... much like every other review if I could give negative score I would in a heart beat. Ask yourself a question. Do you want to pay a crap ton of money for slow unreliable service? If you do then Cox is just the place for you. Now, I am sure you are wondering why does this guy have Cox if he resents them so much? I'll tell you why, because Cox has a monopoly on my area. As a father of two and my wife and I being online College students I don't really have any other option. Trash service, trash customer service, and unreliable service plans. I pay way too much for just internet and half the time there is an "outage" and the other half I can't even watch Netflix without it buffering.

Don't even get me started on the packages. I have just internet and based off their pricing it should be 60 bucks a month. Well even though I don't have any added services or add-ons I pay double that amount. The number on the packages 150 mbps is just a number, prepare yourself to receive (if your lucky) half that speed. Please if you are reading this trying to figure out if you should get Cox as a provider, do yourself a favor and don't. You are better off with an antenna or hand cranked WiFi. I mean if it was an option for me, I would of ditched Cox years ago.

Original review: July 10, 2019

We cannot access the internet on our laptops at home. We can only access it on our phones if WiFi is turned off. When we contacted Cox, a tech came out and said it was a modem problem so we bought a new one. Then they said it was a router problem so we bought a new one. The router company says they can’t help because we have no IP address. Cox can’t help there either. We spent about 5 hours on the phone, plus communicating through Facebook Messenger, still have no internet/WiFi access. Scheduled a service call - they claim it was a different date - still nobody came out. Bought a service plan which may or may not help. Cox is a BIG JOKE.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I'd like to start by saying the internet itself is fine. My father passed away recently, unfortunately, and I had to fly out to Phoenix to his old house and clean it out and change the locks. I set up internet for a month while I worked on the house. At first they said I could have gigablast internet. This I was doing from Charlotte, NC, over the phone. That took about 30 minutes just to give them my info and set up the service. Then they called me back and said they weren't sure why I was told I could have Gigablast, because it wasn't available in my area yet. Ooookay. Then they said it was, then it wasn't. Finally, after 3 hours, we reduced the bill and they said I could get regular 300mb down internet. Whatever that's called. I flew out to Phoenix and picked up my modem. Took another 30 minutes just to get the modem (no one was in line at the store, they're just horrible at everything). Service was just fine.

Now it's 1 month later, I'm back in Charlotte, and I have to turn things off so I can put the house on the market. I call them and it's a really long hold, like 30 minutes. I wait... and wait... and wait... Finally someone answers and tells me they have to transfer me to their special account retention department. I quickly tell them, "No thank you, I'm selling the house and I just want to cancel." They of course can't do it, and have to transfer me. 20 more minutes on hold.

Finally a super happy young man answers the phone and says that the cancellation will be no problem, after they put me on hold for 3 minutes to "place the work order." Right. This isn't a regular hold. This is a dead silent, please hang up, please give up and just leave it connected kind of hold. 10 minutes go by. So I think we're real close to an hour of holding. Just to cancel. He gets back and on says some nonsense about how "had some trouble with the cancellation order." I laughed out loud at this point. Then he tells me it's suddenly fine and has been canceled. They really do have the shadiest business practices. I can't imagine what collections or billing is like for anyone that falls on hard times. These folks should be locked up. Do NOT use Cox for anything if you can avoid it.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our apartment complex was paying for cable. They stopped on 6-21-19. Cox automatically started charging me for it without my consent. They also lied about the internet special I had and now say that it was tied to the cable TV that the complex was paying for and they broke the 1 year special and raised the price. This company changes your service without the consent of the customer. They are dishonest, sneaky and greedy! Avoid them at all cost!

Original review: June 27, 2019

Cox Cable upon hearing that my mom wasn't happy with her phone service, tried to double down on offering her MORE EXPENSIVE phone service and then roping her into a 2 YEAR CONTRACT. Be careful when dealing with this company, they are hawks. I am cancelling my entire service, they are over-charging my mom and I can get a much better deal at another company.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Cox automatically restarted my cable services I had on seasonal hold and charged me $360 a month for 7 months before I noticed that they were charging me this amount on my credit card. They never notified me that my bill had increased 200% and they were rude on the phone when I called to complain. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS IF YOU CAN!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I was purchasing a new modem and router for my client so they could stop renting the garbage products that COX rents. I was sitting next to the office manager when she called Cox Business support to add me as an authorized user so that I could come in after hours to install the new hardware and call to get the modem activated. She explained all of this to the support representative, and was informed that I was now added as an authorized account contact. I went up at midnight and spent a couple of hours removing the old equipment, rewiring and installing and setting up the new modem and router. I called to activate the new modem and the representative said that I was not an authorized account contact to make any changes, only for troubleshooting purposes.

I informed him that I was sitting right next the office manager and even knew her name which he has on file. He said that I would need the PIN. She already explained earlier in the day when she was adding me to the account that she nor anybody in the company had the PIN # and that the bill was auto drafted and they did not have a paper bill with a PIN. The representative told her that I was added and that the PIN would not be necessary. At 2:30 am. I called in to activate the modem and was denied all help or service. I had to undo everything I spent an hour driving in at midnight for, hook up all of the old ** and then come back the following day to finish the job up on a Friday night after hours. ** YOU ** SUCKERS for being dumb ** and wasting my time and my and your client's money!

The whole point of calling and verbatim explaining to them that I was going to be installing a new modem and router after hours and would need to call in to register it fell on dumb deaf ears, or maybe all of the COX employees have rubber ** stuffed in their ears and they can't understand what is going on. Regardless, I am beyond pissed off and will be cancelling my personal COX account and will do my best to convince all of my clients to leave COX if there is a better solution available. AT&T sucks also, so that will not be a recommendation either. Best, Matthew ** Proud owner of **.

Original review: June 13, 2019

After 13 years I finally dropped Cox cable. When my internet service suddenly went out I did not think much about it because it happens so often. When it was out 4hrs I finally gave them a call. The steps to get to support service is endless. You go through countless keypad prompts and when you get finally get to a person, he can speak very little English and when they get frustrated, they just hang up and you have to start all over again. Even after giving the last 4 digits of your SS #, your address and 4 digit PIN they still come up with the wrong account and say you are showing up as somebody else. The first person you talk to only knows to tell you to turn off your router and restart your machine. The next step is to transfer you to the next level of support where your call is dropped again and you have to start all over. Just when you get to the 2nd level of support again, they say their machine went off and they have to start over again.

The higher the level of support they transfer you to, the worse their English is. My latest call was just to find out if there was an outage in my area or was it my machine. They could not say for sure. Tech support is useless and over the past two years I have bought 2 new modems and routers on their suggestion only to have a person come out and they get it working again but have no idea what the problem was. If you are a Cox customer you know exactly what I have been through. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and use ANYBODY besides COX. I called AT&T and they will have somebody here in two days and I will not be sharing internet service as it was explained to me but will have a dedicated line which will prevent decreased speed at peak times. It was $30 less a month, can use existing lines and the package came with a TV option.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Be careful when they promise you GIFT CARDS. When I started service with Cox the guy gave me a gift card for $150 that would take 3 months to be issued. I had to enter the reference gift card number on the website to register and wait for the 3 months. The COX guy on the phone made it seem that would be very easy to receive the $150 without a problem. Few days ago I got an email saying that my account wasn't qualified for it. RIGHT!! And when I call Cox they didn't care at all. Worst customer service!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Cox wants your money. It has been my experience that they care nothing about their customers. They had faulty equipment, came and picked it up, then charged me a sky high early termination fee. The relationship with the company ended due to their breach of contract for delivering faulty equipment. Yet, they want to charge me for their error. I have been back and forth with them for over two years. Now this amount I don’t owe is nearly $1000. Ridiculous. They are in the SCAM business. They left out of the notes essential information about how their equipment did not work, it was a breach of contract on their part, and I would not be held liable for any early termination fees.

Now uncooperative “supervisors” rally together to do NOTHING to assist in this fiasco on the part of Cox. They admit no error, fault, or liability. They try to turn things around, misrepresent the truth, and charge trusting customers exorbitant fees that they do not owe. Their behavior is nothing short of disgusting. AVOID Cox Communications. They are dishonest, shady, and have become too large to care a bit about their customers. Money is their focus... even money they have not earned, and are not entitled to.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have had Cox for 5 years, and I'm paying more for 10mbps now than I was for 50mbps 4 years ago. They used to give you a deal if you were a good long-term customer and you called in at the end of your year to sign back up, but no more. They've eliminated all the intermediary plans that used to be cheap and now the 10mbps plan is more than I originally paid for 25mbps. Also, if you only have the lowest tier (starter) plan, the will not help you with a discount. This plan is going up to $69.99 when my year is out, and I refuse to pay that for this speed. I don't know what I'm going to do, because our only other option in this area is AT&T DSL at 18mbps, which is almost as expensive and has horrible service. I'm seriously thinking of moving to another city just to get back on Verizon.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Wish there were ZERO star because this is what I would rate Cox. We have been with Cox for 3 years for TV and Internet bundle. They keep raising the price is one thing but the Internet has been on and off all the time and they gave us all different kinds of excuses for the first 6 months - asking us to upgrade, buy a new modem, sending out technicians and billed us. In the last 5 months, we have to refresh the modem at least once a week. Finally, I called it quit and they were rushing to close my account without any try because they saw how often we have to refresh. Worst experience we have ever experienced.

Original review: May 31, 2019

We have been a loyal customer of Cox for over 10 years. We call to dc service due to family issues and them upcharging us. The lady we spoke to was very rude. I am disgusted and disappointed and that she made me dc on the spot. I asked her to schedule a dc date in which she got mad that I was dcing so she told me to just dc on the spot. Kept threatening me to do it which I did. I ask to speak to Supervisor which she said there wasnt one available. So disgusted that I dc right there and then. Cox please teach your workers better customer service skills. Sad day that they lost us as customers and I will be spreading the word to family and friends.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Cox has monopolized the Omaha, NE area and they know it. They offer the most expensive internet, tv, phone, etc. They offer “bundles” that expire yearly, so once a year you get to call and try to find the next way you can keep your bill from skyrocketing up. For example wanting $100 for the same speed internet CenturyLink supplies for $60. So solution should be easy switch to CenturyLink, well not easy as CenturyLink doesn’t service the entire area. You look at local maps to see what providers are in NE and you will see a big blank white circle covering the Omaha and surrounding areas with the exception of CenturyLink which once again isn’t available everywhere.

All sorts of shady business practices including having their staff deny the ability to buy your own modems instead telling customers they HAVE to use one of theirs. Until you call them out on it and suddenly they do have modems available to buy and not rent though of course those too are at outrageous prices. Still better than the modem they offer for you to “rent” for $10 a month, so yea they went to spending an extra $120 a year on top of their expensive service. Generally don’t write reviews especially if they aren’t flattering but I am over it and tired of the constant fight and having to sigh and accept what they offer since there literally is no other option for an internet service provider.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've used Cox for five years, not by choice. It was the only provider in my area. When I set up my services, the company demanded a security deposit (something about them not being able to pull my credit history, even though my FICO score is above 800). Fine. Years later, they *refuse* to refund the deposit, first claiming they can't find it and then claiming it was non-refundable. If you want the services of a company who has no shame about lying to your face, please do get Cox. If you want internet service that goes out for no reason once every few months, even better. This is truly the most terrible internet service provider I had to deal with. Way worse than Comcast (which, mind you, is not great either).

Original review: May 25, 2019

So I moved out my townhouse on 04/20/2019 and scheduled with Cox, spoke with Adrian to set up our internet at the house rental for 04/23/2019. The tech came out and gave us news that there was no fiber optic installation that ran to this house and we’d have to schedule the service. Spoke to tech support and each time I speak to any representative they’d transfer me giving me the runaround. The first agent I spoke to told me this would be 2-3 weeks wait. I’m like what? Didn’t tell me they had to get permits from the city to do all this work. Communication from these representatives is nothing but lacking. Honestly how do you call yourself a communication company?

At the beginning of May I called again. Finally, I got so fed up I asked for a supervisor. I got Itanza on May 1st. She wasn’t empathetic or apologetic, but just said, "Yup it’s a 2-3 wk process because the permits through this city can take a long time." What else can I do as a customer but accept it. My phone number used to be associated with my old address. Now because I don’t reside there anymore my phone number isn’t attached to any account because I have no service. Again, I updated this with the supervisor in the last conversation. Did she fix this? Obviously not! Now grant it this my fourth or fifth call to these people. May 8, I asked tech support about the status of my ticket, now he says “oh, it says this is a 3-5 week wait!" I am now past pissed and frustrated. I explained him that’s not what the supervisor told me, so I’m like okay I’ll call back in a week or so.

Now it is May 24th, I get a status of the ticket once again. The young lady from tech support was the most helpful this time. Said she’ll contact dispatch to find out why the ticket says they were going to drop the line on May 3rd but never got done. She explained to me that their dispatch was not helpful (big surprise there) and could not fill in the lack of notation from why nothing got done! I asked her if I can talk to dispatch, she gave me a 623-594-1000. She said press option “7.” Guess what? I called it. It’s the same number as 800-234-3993 and by the way there is no option 7 to speak to dispatch. I had to just hit new service. What the hell. This company does not train any of their agents! Going on a month waiting for internet because supposedly this is the city of phone fault.

Original review: May 24, 2019

9 years ago I started with the bundle cable, internet and phone but kept getting so many harassing calls from unknown numbers and requested my number be non published. Cox kept trying to push service for call intercept. I said "no Change my number" three times. All of which immediately placed on do not call list and non published number and still received anonymous harassing calls. I finally requested to get rid of the phone but just to have internet and cable was so outrageous. I said screw the cable and only kept internet because I work from home.

I was paying $40 initially a month then it went up to $50. They have tried to go up to $70 but I threatened to cut service and negotiated $50 and the internet has been unstopped problem. Planned outages with no notification to the customer and no estimation of when service will be back up, unscheduled or unforeseen outages same thing. Down wire in the middle of the street, told a tech would come out after 4 hours. No tech and call back told no tech is coming.

This forced me to call the police because the down wire is in the middle of the street. The police calls the fire department who makes Cox come out just to move the wire not to fix it, meanwhile no internet. This company is the worst company ever and they don’t strive to improve because our screwed up government allows them to monopolize the area that we can’t choose another company. Forget writing to corporate because they never even acknowledge any letters and customer service will tell you that I hate this company.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I recently moved to an area where DirecTV service was not available. Therefore, I had to get Cox. I started my service with them April the 27th, so far my internet and cable stopped working twice. When I called customer service they did set up an appointment for a technician to come but they made sure to informed me that it might cost me 75 dollars if they find that the issue is within the house. It's very frustrating when you work from home and literally you depend on the internet. Please do your due diligence before you get service with Cox. I also worked for a big corporation and I have an idea how companies make their money but this company should not be providing a service if they are not able to meet their customers' expectations. For the last two days, I had not have internet nor cable.

Original review: May 15, 2019

If you can manage, never make Cox your internet provider. They constantly have internet outages that last 12 to 24 hours. There is nothing you can do to speed up the fix. If you work from home you are stuck without internet. They provide text messages to give you updates on the outages but those get pushed back hours as well. All COX has been able to do to remedy this is provide a refund for the amount of time the internet was out. They have terrible customer service if you are able to get a hold of them. Terrible provider, terrible service.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had Cox since I moved to Arizona, (12 years) at one time had phone, TV, internet. After learning ways to save money started dropping services first the phone, then the TV. And began using a streaming service. I was shocked my tv color came alive on Cox. The color was muted and limited stations and spent most of my time watching commercials. Seemed every year I would get a price increase. Lost the use of the tv in the bedroom, and still had the same poor picture quality.

I had many issues with the signal and had a tech out several times. Finally wanted to charge me a $75.00 fee to find out what was causing the problem. End result was a cable they supplied and still charged me. Keep in mind I have been streaming for closed to a year now. Get a bill again wanting addition $40.00 for over data use. Out of the blue not changing a thing. Enough is enough. I will be installing CenturyLink just as soon as they make a connection about 1 month away. Have heard bad about that service but worth a try just to boot Cox out completely. After losing a long time customer and with hope many more to follow they will wake up to serve the customer not lining their pocket with outdated tech.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My bill for Cox internet and cable has gone up over $65 in the past 3 months. I was told to call and they'd reduce my bill. When I called, visited the store twice and chatted online, I was told nothing could be done. I was actually advised by a Cox worker to cancel my service, wait 30 days and come back as a new customer. That is what I'm doing. I've been a customer since 1997. Apparently, Cox is only interested in getting new customers, not retaining old ones. If my bill was going up and I was receiving better service or additional services, I'd be okay with that. Instead it's the same old service with a higher price tag. When I asked why friends and family could call and get reduced pricing, I was told that not everyone gets the same offers. Really?

Original review: May 10, 2019

The latest straightup program has a hidden fee. The straight up has a 3GB limit. So if there is a limit like on phone plans what happens when you hit the limit? Maybe not fee's but overages. Is there a difference if I did not expect it to be there? The ad they give does not make this clear which can make consumers make bad decisions.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My roommate recently moved out and we decided to swap the COX service to my name. First, we were told that we had to "upgrade" to a new modem, provided by COX, otherwise service would be ended. We made the trip to swap modems, which wasn't that big of a deal. Fast forward 2 weeks when I get the first bill in my name. I look at the "one time charges and credits" section and see a wonderful 100 dollar charge.

The breakdown was 20 dollars for the "TV Self Activation Kit", 20 dollars for the "Internet Self Activation Kit" and another 50 dollars for the "Equipment Deposit". The deposit I can kind of understand, even though we were FORCED to upgrade otherwise service would be terminated. The "self activation" charges are bogus as we had service set up for 15 months prior to him moving out. It's not surprising that a Telecommunications company finds any which way to screw over their customers as they are in bed with the FCC and our wonderful politicians in Washington. P.S. I never got any credit for returning the previous modem that I KNOW FOR A FACT HAD A DEPOSIT PAID ON IT.

Original review: May 2, 2019

In an effort to maintain higher speeds I purchased my own router/modem, following all their rules I returned their leased equipment to their office where I received a receipt. Fast forward 2 1/2 years later, I'm moving across the country, cancel Cox service and now they want to be paid for their equipment. My fault for not keeping the receipt for 2 1/2 years but customer service rep can clearly see when the lease of their equipment dropped off my bill, something that was handled when I turned in the equipment. I have no choice but to pay for this equipment, I just want everyone to know what type of company you are dealing with.... Poor processes, procedures, execution, etc. Lesson learned.... Keep every single note, scrap of paper, receipt with this company.... You will most likely need it! What a POS way to generate additional revenue!!!!

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs