Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We used to have Cox for TV but switched a while back due to the fact that if it rained at all the signal was always lost. I just found out a week ago (my husband told me after he had found out by accident since no one informed us of this) that Cox was going to discontinue any email accounts that were not associated with TV or internet or other services. I did not have sufficient time to transfer important emails saved in files or go through and look up all the email accounts that needed to be changed. I am very disappointed and frustrated with the lack of information from Cox that they were planning on destroying my email account. I will never use them again. They have horrible service across the board.

I have been a Cox customer for almost 10 years and it is obviously that they don't want any more businesses or no longer care about their customer. They raise their cost every year without any notice. When you call in, they just asked you to drop your internet speed for a cheaper price. I talked to the Loyalty department and they gave me the discounted price for 12 months starting in February 2017. It's only good until May 2017, which is 3 months after they raise their price again.

When I called in the guy in Loyalty department said "Oh well, we let you know that the price will go up in your last statement, why didn't you read it?" I said I signed up for paperless statement and set up an EasyPay to charge to my CC every month and there were no more emails telling me about the price will be increased in May. He said, "it is in your statement as a consumer, you have to download your bill every month and read it." RIDICULOUS, I signed up for paperless statement, that does not mean I have to download my bill and look at my bill every month when my payment should stay the same like what they promised.

This is a HORRIBLE company, they never value their customers, their customer service is rated NEGATIVE 10 stars. Representatives are terrible and when I talked to the supervisor, she had no way to find out who representative was talking to me earlier. Please don't do business with this terrible company if you want to have a peace of mind.

The following are my opinions: I feel this company has lied to me numerous times. I ordered Essential Internet Service under a PRICE PROTECTION GUARANTEE for two years. After the first year they raised my rate. Then only after complaining to numerous regulatory authorities they reduced it by five dollars, but not nearly by the amount they were supposed to. If there are any other alternatives when my two year agreement with them is up, I will pursue some. I already anticipate them to reduce my rate every year until it becomes prohibitive. This is by far the worst and most deceptive company I have dealt with in my life.

I've had Cox for years, only because I have no other choice. The service cost goes up every year and the quality goes down. I pay $60 a month just for internet, and lose my internet connection every night. I can barely stream anything consistently on my Samsung Smart TV. When I call COX they always blame something else. Sure, I'll get the connection speeds they advertise, for a moment, then the next moment it drops down to nothing. It's unreliable and frustrating. I pray for better options, or for better service.

Treating for breast cancer. Got a new laptop for X-mas but my dial up service w/ EarthLink not compatible, so I need new service. Cancer bills high and mounting. Need internet service to hopefully make extra money by working overtime (I am a paralegal) - spoke to a Cherene ** @ COX ** who said to me after I told her my story that she knows two (2) executives who she will have call me to set something up for me. She said these two executives handle these matters and she lead me to believe that COX was there for me.

Two weeks passed and no call from anyone. For two weeks after that I left 12 phone messages for Cherene and she never returned one call. Since my 12th call to her, I have had one sales person after another call me stating that Cherene asked them to call me, that they understood I was having difficulty with my COX service, or that I was unhappy with my service, etc. This woman is a **! You guys are right, RUN FAST AND RUN HARD FROM COX. What a crappy thing to do to me. She still to this day will not return one of my calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Consumer Increased Rating!

We are long time customers, it will be 11 yrs. in June and we are not satisfied with our service. Every month our bill goes up, it started low and now it's up to $208/mo. I call and they say, "lets decrease your internet speed and you can pay $190/mo." We do not have HBO or any other premium channel. We have internet, cable and just local phone service. Cable and internet goes out about twice a week. People cable jump all the time, "I don't like my service, so I cancel and go somewhere else, then I come back and get a better deal." We never left, never get any deals, and our bill continually climbs every month. We need to find someone else. I'm shopping around because I seriously sick of it. Just throwing money away. They have no customer loyalty to people who pay their bills on time and have been there from the beginning. I'm tired of them reaching in our pockets and robbing us.

Some people complain about fees and charges and taxes. What about the service? Was it reliable or not? As an ISP, Cox Communications is garbage! Just go to downdetector.com, to see what I mean. They provide internet, phone, and TV for customers all across the country (USA), and they have terrible service everywhere they exist. I have the Ultimate internet option. My speeds are 300/30. While the download speeds are decent, the upload speeds are so slow (100kbps-1mbps). The internet is unusable.

I got Cox because I needed a fast connection to play video games and stream my activities. I cannot even stream due to an error from Dailymotion, YouTube, and Twitch, saying my "internet is not sufficient to stream". When I contact tech support they run me through the annoying procedures that do nothing. Once in a while, my internet goes back "up to" the advertised speeds. The problem is, in a couple days the same problem returns and my speeds drop down to =<1mbps. I really wish Verizon offered Fios in my area.

I have had Cox for 26 years. I live on a very limited income so I have begged to get my bill lowered every year for the last few years. I have called more times than I can count. The Loyalty Dept promised me on 12/27/16 that my bill would be $95.62 for all of 2017 and of course it jumped $7.38 the following month and I contacted the Loyalty Dept. again and was promised $95.63 monthly for all of 2017 and then the following month the bill jumped another $109.32. Called again today was told discounts dropped in April... so much for the promises for the entire year 2017. Now they will give me $60 off for the year/$10 a month. I am a senior living on a very limited income and even less than last year because RX plan doubled monthly payment. I am so sick of calling Cox constantly, so much time wasted on hold forever and for very little help. I am going to have to give up on Cox and move on to maybe just Hulu.

For the first year we had Cox internet - it worked well enough. There were, of course brief, spotty outages and we knew not to use it during high traffic hours such as Sunday nights due to incredible slowdown. I could accept that. The past few weeks, since end of March, Cox has been miserable. Pages won't load, things time out, and often - we can't even get online. Forget Netflix or streaming media - no longer an option. To do work, etc. I have to resort to my long forgotten Verizon Jet Pack. It's nearly impossible to reach Cox 'customer service'. Obviously can't use online chat, and calling in, holding, etc. isn't doable. Gives me heartburn that we pay over 100.00 a month for fast, unlimited service - when we can't even log on. This has been going on weeks now. Come on, Cox - Care a little. ConsumerAffairs team... can't upload a receipt and btw - each time I try to submit this review... I time out. Will have to return to jet pack. :)

The internet randomly doesn't work. This doesn't happen once in a while, it happens ALL THE TIME. I didn't really notice until I checked my phone bill and saw that I was using 3 times the amount of data. So the internet was cutting out and I wasn't even aware, which makes it even more frustrating. We called them several times and they never fixed the problem, instead they said that it was because our internet wasn't fast enough to support all our devices, so they suggested sending a piece to put on the router to help. Well that didn't work whatsoever and they charged us $20 for us without even notifying us of the price. All together, our experience with them was terrible, and that is why we just switched to DirecTV.

There is no way to provide negative rating here so let me describe it. Cox qualifies for minus five stars for their customer services, how they conduct their business and how they address the issues. If you get a chance to get an alternative provider of these services do not even check their offers. They are unreliable, they raise prices without notification and without any viable reason. Their customer support is nonexistent. Their sales representatives have little knowledge of the products. Cox representatives are unfriendly and cocky. We have been cheated on almost every deal they offered. If you get a chance NEVER sign up for any service with Cox!!!

Cox randomly raised my plain vanilla internet fee from $49.99 to $100.50 a couple of months ago -- this is an INSANE price for the service I'm getting. As AT&T was offering me a much better price ($35 for my speed), I called Cox to cancel. I was put on hold for 40 minutes waiting for the agent. And then I was told that I would be charged $80 for a "contract cancellation fee"!!! If I'm under contract, why did you raise my fees by 100% with no warning? Did I volunteer to be fleeced? I don't think so. They told me my "promotional price" expired, and then they raised the "retail price" 2x in the past year... So I was locked into an incredibly bad contract. What the heck???!!! I canceled anyway, and as soon as I got home, I realized that my internet performance has deteriorated significantly. According to internet speed tests, my 50Mbs download speed has been reduced to 2Mbs. Wow. These are spiteful b___ards.

Cox has horrible service, the number for help on my TV is for internet. I haven't had TV in 2 days and they aren't going to do a damn thing about it until Sunday. I will be amazed if they show up, because they did not show up last time. I went up to the attic and there are cable cords everywhere and an amp that is hooked up to nothing. We're having storms with tornado watches but so what, they don't care. TV is 24/7 and they should have service out here 24/7. DON'T get COX.

I have been a long loyal customer of Cox for years & canceled my services before moving. I returned all equipment except the modem I purchased. When I moved into our home I was told I owed almost $1000.00, which I disputed. They tried to lie & say I did not return DVR, modem etc. Just to get services I paid approx 282.00 in what they "said" I owed. Over the next 2 years around tax season they send me a bill of over 900.00 saying I owe the same crap. Last month I made an in store payment of regular bill which they associate did not post and they interrupted my services. I keep my receipts so I was able to prove. So they said they would give me a 30.00 credit for their mistake. For the next 2 years they have been doubling my bills, adding charges, etc. So I am terminating my services immediately and going with a local agency.

I've been a Cox customer for over 30 years and they have been ripping me off for that many years! I finally changed my TV but unfortunately they are the only "high speed" internet provider in my area. I have been paying for their 150Mbps internet connection for the past year or so, but test after test shows I am not even getting 50Mbps! They reset and clear the cache but the speed is the same! I know there are many customers complaining about the same thing. Are there any attorneys who would like to start a class action lawsuit against these thieves?

After trying out Cox and getting uneven speeds (3-16 Mbps), we switched to CenturyLink - the only "competition" Cox has in our area. CenturyLink gave us mere 6Mbps but at least it was constant. However, CenturyLink kept raising our bills - at $80 a month, we decided enough was enough and decided to give Cox one more chance.

Cox technician came to set us up, which he did but he never checked our internet speed. As soon as he left, I was frustrated with how sluggish and slow the internet was. I did the whole shebang of swapping out cables, disconnecting the modem and router, reconnecting. I messed around with it for 2 days, trying one cable outlet in the living room, then the other in the bedroom, etc. Nothing - the average speed was 2 Mbps. I called Cox Tech Support - they ran me through "have you checked the cables, did you disconnect, reconnect"... they finally rebooted my modem from my end. Nothing. They said they would send someone out. Great.

Another tech comes out - he does everything I already did, alone and with tech support people over the phone. Nothing. He finally goes out onto the street, climbs the pole with his tool box, spends about 45 mins out there. Comes back and says he "changed some rusty connector, let's see if it makes a difference." We run the speedtest - 17Mbps. Still way below the promised 35, but I will take it. The tech leaves. I am happy.

Two weeks later I see that I am getting charged $75 for the tech service call. I give them a call seeking explanation why I am getting charged for this - why I AM PAYING FOR THE UPDATE OF THEIR CRUMBLING INFRASTRUCTURE, ie. WHY ARE THEY PASSING THE COST OFF ONTO ME AS A CONSUMER AND A CUSTOMER. The equivalent would be me ordering a steak in a restaurant only to discover that I also have to pay for the cast iron pan which they needed in order to cook it.

They responded that the tech guy wrote that he "changed a bad cable from the modem to the router"!!! I said that the guy was lying and that it makes no sense - 1) I am not that tech unsavvy 2) I called their tech support and we tried all of it - switching cables, etc. I also asked them if it is customary for them to make service call, not leave any paperwork, no signature for services rendered, and then have the liberty to basically say whatever they feel like making me a liar and a whiner. In other words, it would be like me dropping off my car at a car service and then they just charge me for whatever they want - they know better.

Cox said they would "investigate" and call me back with the verdict - I also spoke to the tech's supervisor. He agreed that the charge indeed doesn't make any sense. No one from Cox Billing called me though. I called back the Billing Dept - I couldn't speak to a supervisor (busy, of course) but was assured I would be called and everything would be taken care of. 4 days later, no call and I still owe $75 for a bad $0.25 cent router cable. $75 is not a lot of money but I will not pay it out of principle. It is extortion - I realize Cox is getting killed from dwindling cable revenue and there is a push to recoup profits anywhere they can. I also understand their techs get quarterly bonuses. I get it - things are tough all over.

On top of this - when I first called to dispute this charge, my speeds are being throttled. I am back to sometimes 2Mbps, sometimes 6, very rarely do I break 10. There are constant interruptions and drops - I have to restart the modem at least twice a day. At this point I am convinced I am purposefully being messed with. First two weeks were awesome - I was constantly at 16-17 Mbps, steady as steady can be. The day after I called them - bam! I was down to being on a roller coaster. These guys need to be driven out of business by honest competition. Unfortunately, they made sure they don't have any real one so they get to do whatever they want. The best way to describe their business model is "slumlord-like".

I am a new customer with Cox (3 months as a subscriber). I tried to set up the online payment when I first enrolled but I couldn't because the system was not functioning properly (or I didn't know how to work it properly). In any case, after 2 months I receive a bill with a late fee. I called them and explained to them the situation, and at that time the lady successfully helped me to set up my online automatic pay, I paid my entire bill at the time, and the lady even waived the late fee. So in February we are a big, happy family.

Then the following month (now) I receive a new in which I'm charged a late fee. I called back and they say that when I paid at that time, I didn't pay the full amount. I explained to them that I did (based on what the Cox person told me, which coincided with what the computer told me to pay as well), and despite speaking to three different people, the late fee was kept. According to them, they can only waive one late fee every 12 months, even when it wasn't my fault. I have no problem paying a late fee if it's my fault, but it's extremely unfair to charge me after I had taken care of the entire bill the previous month and had set up automatic pay. So unfair!!!

For 20 years I have been a Cox communications client - I have been satisfied. My opinion has changed. For 19 years, I used my bank bill pay to pay my bills. I paid my bills ahead of time - meaning I was always 1 month ahead - meaning I always had a positive balance not a negative/not a balance due. I wanted to become more efficient, so I signed up for Cox Comms' automated bill pay service. Their system is not programmed to understand an awesome customer. Their instructions were to stop other payments which I did. They did not explain that I should not have a positive balance, just that I shouldn't continue to pay. When their system tried to debit my account, I didn't own a dime, I had a positive balance.

Their system is only programmed to debit an account, not credit, and the bank is expecting a debit for an amount due, not an amount payable. They attempted to debit my financial institution's with an amount payable which was, of course, rejected. Instead of recognizing I didn't owe money and instead of recognizing I'm a good customer, they locked my payment account out as delinquent and labeled me as a bad customer (even though at this point, I still don't owe a dime and have a positive balance). The next bill comes due, I think I'm on automated payments, unbeknownst to me, my payment account is locked out, I still have a positive balance, but not enough to cover the entire amount. Cox doesn't debit my account for the legitimate amount due because they've labeled me, their loyal, in-good-standing for 20 years customer, a delinquent and have locked my payment account out. SURPRISE!!

The next month rolls around and I get a delinquency notice. It takes me hours and hours on the phone to get it all straightened out. It's clear the CS people are nice and gave me the benefit of the doubt, but they did not really get it... To cut this short, they never really straightened things out - we got me paid up and credits for late payments, but it all happened a second time because my account was not deactivated. After speaking to 9 people over 7 hours, it got straightened out, but they still think they are doing me a favor rather than saying they are sorry and really, really, really understanding what happened and fixing the issue. I needed to speak to a much more senior person who had access across multiple systems which I was told by the CS teams I worked with did not exist.

Everyone was super nice, but it was still a horrible, horrible experience. They still treated me as a delinquent customer rather than a wronged customer. Yet again, I see late fees and reactivation fees on my bill which are foundationless. I've lost all faith in Cox and yes, plan to cancel. I've made arrangements to leave them next month. I live in a metropolitan area with multiple choices. I can get faster service with another major provider for less per month for the like mix of services. The Cox CS teams do not have the training nor the access to tools to effectively serve the needs of the unique situations that arise. I would have welcomed being assigned to a special situations expert or to a manager or anyone who had the capacity to really assist and fix the issue. I'm severely disappointed and would not recommend them.

So I am satisfied with the customer service I receive, however, they are not able to lower my bill either. I verbally agreed to a contract for a bundle package of phone, cable, and internet service of 2 years. I didn't realize that was what happened, but that's neither here nor there. But I called to just have it downgraded to internet services since I do not use a house phone or cable at all. I was told that I had entered a 2 year contract when I began services and that it was be like $380 to cancel. So I told them it's was fine. I will keep the service I have and just wait till my contract was up. I paid like 132 dollars a month. January's bill was the regular price, February's bill was $170 dollars and I saw for March it was going to be 170 again! So I decided to call and figure out what was going on, and the rep told me that it is now 175 dollars.

Within 3 monthly bill has risen nearly 45 dollars!! No new equipment, no new services, nothing. So needless to say I am going to pay and cancel this contract. If they were an apartment lease I would take them to court since I have a contract and have been a loyal customer since January 2016 and for some reason do not have a protected rate? And they said that I was saving 55 dollars with the bundle... What that's only 10 more dollars to go up on my bill just about now. And that's probably only 10 dollars I'm saving until next month when they throw another 10 dollar increase in. I would not go with this company and I would not recommend at all. Sweet sympathetic representatives (who don't even use the service from everyone I've spoken to) but that is all.

Just found out that I have been paying for Preferred service when my cable modem was only capable of operating at 1/2 the speed. Of course Cox has been quite happy to collect $17 a month extra, for God knows how long, rather than let me know that I should be subscribed to the cheaper Essential service. I suggest everyone check they are getting the Internet speed they are paying for.

I have paid for Cox to send someone out three times, had my internet rewired $150 charge, bought a brand new cable/wireless modem and router, had my internet wired from the box to my house, and the guy said the neighborhood probably had 40 to 50 year old copper and had never been replaced (my house was built in the 80's). They said they sent a "box truck" and looked at the issue.

My internet stops and starts working almost 50 to a 100 maybe more times a day. I pay for 150mgb, but even plugged in directly, I usually only get from 10 to 70. I hate Cox and their corrupt lobbying, which won't allow for any competition in the Phoenix metro area. DSL can't compete and sucks, so most people are basically ** by Cox because they are a corrupt monopolized corporation. I hope they get broken down with enough outrage from people who understand the system is rigged and needs to be unrigged. Terrible monopoly, horrible service, and frustrating internet!

I've been having continual but intermittent problems with sending email through the Cox server, my primary email server. This usually happens when sending to other people with Cox email addresses. Several days later, the messages bounce back saying that the SMTP server timed out or that the server was "unreachable for too long."

I called Cox Customer Service today. The first person told me to update my settings from POP to IMAP and to change the port number, which I did. After we hung up, I couldn't send any email. I called back and was told that my original email was set up using POP and that I needed to revert to that, as well as the previous port number. That worked, but it did not resolve my problem with emails not going through the Cox server.

I called again and after some time on the phone with another clueless Level 1 representative, who kept telling me he was "sorry" I felt that way, every time I told him that my problem still wasn't resolved, I asked for a Level 2 rep and waited some time before I was with a Level 2 rep. That rep was just as clueless as the Level 1 person. She kept looking up information in her instructions to read to me. I asked about sufficient server capacity, and she claimed it's just fine but that the servers can handle only so many emails at once, and if people are spamming, which I am not, it takes too long for some emails to go through. I again said that sounded like insufficient server capacity to me, and she then said it sounded like a Mac problem to her! All over my neighborhood in AZ folks are having identical problems with Cox, and they're sure not all on Macs. Cox service is abominable.

Never ever choose auto/easy payment option with Cox Communications. I am suffering from last 3-4 months. Every time they put unnecessary charges on my bill due to their system issues (that they won't fix, it's their very unique payment system not similar to any other auto payment system in the world). Once you come into this trap, then every 2-3 weeks you need to spend at least 1-2 hours talking to their customer care representatives/supervisors, and believe me every time you get new information, every time their customer care representatives will blame the guy whom you talked last time saying that guy gave you wrong information. There is no way they allow you to trace/track any issue with them. Worst customer service I have seen so far in USA. God bless Cox Communications and their customers.

Run as far and as fast from this inept excuse for a joke of a company as you can. I signed up to have internet and the most basic tv installed online. They missed the installation date so we rescheduled for the next day. The bill was 59.99 with internet, 58.99 for internet and basic tv. They waived the $150.00 installation fee because of missing the installation date. They said I could buy the modem but when the installer came he said I needed to pay $9.99 per month to lease it. They were fresh out of the ones you could buy. Bait and switch all the way.

I got my first bill today for $421 and change. Called them and asked about the installation fee. They waived it. Asked about the lease vs purchase of the modem. Today I could buy it for $150, imagine that. I then asked what my total bill would be, knowing I was going to buy the modem. He said $93 a month. I asked how $58.99 turned into 93? Taxes and fees were $34? He then said $77. That still was $19 for taxes and fees. I said I would drop the tv and take the internet for $59.99 a month. Mind you we were only with them for 4 days. He took 10 minutes to tell me my new bill without tv would be $74.99. $2.01 less than if I kept the tv. I said "this is why I left the company I had been with for 17+ years."

Also I never missed a payment or was late with a payment. The old bait and switch. 58.99 turned into 77 and then they said you cancelled the tv and they could not honor the bundle price. Hello the bundle price was less not more??? I said I wanted to cancel and I was in my 30 day cancelation period. 30 seconds later my tv went dead. What a customer service minded terrible company. I should have heeded the warning... do not drink the Kool-aid. This company is crazy stupid.

Do NOT listen to any Cox retail employees who try to upsell you or tell you they want to have you try something free, particularly a TV service for a month. I was told it would be completely free and that I would be able to take it off my Internet service which was all I wanted in the first place but that is not the case. I just initiated services with them and should have been paying $54.99 but because I agreed to try HBO Go free for my first month with them, my promo has been nullified and am being forced to pay $74.99 or go up to over $90 if I cancel the TV service that I was pressured into trying. If anyone tries to upsell you or add anything for "free" just say no or at least ask LOTS of questions. Failing to do so is going to cost me much more money than I anticipated and I just canceled with AT&T thinking that Cox was a better deal. I am NOT off to a good start and no one seems to be able to change that.

Two weeks ago I went into the store located at 51st Avenue and Olive in Glendale, Arizona. I wanted to see if it was possible to wifi a nearby 4-plex that I own. I occupy 2 units out of 4, so I was looking at the possibility of getting a package deal. Customer Service Rep Tyler stated that I could get the Bronze Bundle and that it should be sufficient to cover 2 units (for both internet and tv) if not more units. I agreed to that and the installation was scheduled for 4 days later. The guy charged with installation showed up but stated that the order was not set up correctly, that he couldn't do it, that what I was told was incorrect, and that I needed to set up a bulk account.

When I asked how much that would cost, he said that he would have his supervisor give me a call back within 48 hours (supervisor never called me). He said that he's been encountering the same problem for quite some time with other clients, but that he has nothing to do with sales. I asked him if he could call the store so they could all be on the same page. He said he was prohibited from contacting the store. The next day, Tuesday 2/21/17, I proceeded to visit the above-referenced store. I spoke to a lady (didn't get a name). When I told her what had happened. She curtly said that I should come back to the store in 2 days, on Wednesday 2/22, because Tyler was not working that day and he had been the one to make the order.

I asked her if she or anyone else could help me because it was burdensome for her to ask me to come back when I had already taken time out of my busy schedule to visit the store to clarify the situation. She rolled up her eyes. I then asked to talk to a supervisor. She said the supervisor (who was in the store) couldn't/wouldn't talk to me. I explained what had happened and she immediately became defensive. I assured her that I didn't have a problem with her and that I was merely explaining what happened so they could take steps to correct the matter via communications or training. She said she was not interested in any of my feedback.

She then called Tyler on his cell phone. She came back and said she couldn't honor what Tyler had ordered. She seemed frustrated and said that I could go commercial bulk or not do business with Cox. She said that she was trying to help me, but seemed extremely annoyed by me. I asked how much the bulk deal she mentioned would cost me, and she said that she didn't have that information. I then asked how was I supposed to make a determination to something she was suggesting if she didn't have the pricing. Very annoyed, she said that she was trying to help me that she could have someone give me a call with the prices for a bulk account.

Because she was visibly upset at dealing with me, I told her that she shouldn't be defensive, that I was merely trying to straighten the situation. She then yelled at me by saying that she was trying to help me. I reminded her that it was her job to help me, and asked her what else she needed from me. She asked me to jot down my phone number and assured me that someone would be calling me with bulk pricing within 48 hours. I said ok. 6 days later and no one called me. So I went back to the office. This time I spoke with a lady with short hair who claimed she was an assistant manager and with Michael, another Assistant Manager. I told them that I still had not received a call back with pricing for bulk. I asked if they had passed on my number to the appropriate party.

I reiterated to both of these Assistant Managers what had happened. Michael said Tyler was in the back. Michael said he would go get Tyler, but came back saying that he was busy and couldn't help me. I tried to explain to the Assistant Manager with short hair my frustration that I hadn't received a call back. She said: "I don't want to talk about it." Michael came back and said that Tyler was busy in the back. I tried to provide some feedback to Michael as to what I had gone through. He said he couldn't help me. He wrote down a number I could call for information about bulk pricing. I told him that I was being treated with a lot of attitude, like I had done something wrong. I asked him if I had raised my voice or offended anyone at any point, and he said that I hadn't.

I then said, thank you for the number, and left the store. I went home and called the number Michael had given me. It turned out that bulk was too expensive. The next day, I went back to the store to see if I could modify my order. This time I spoke with Ryan, who initially seemed very friendly. I asked him if I could still go with the Bronze bundle but have a tv in one unit and the internet in another. He said he would look into it. He looked up my account on the computer and then said he had to excuse himself for a few minutes. He went to the back and, I assumed, he talked to Assistant Manager girl (with short hair) and Assistant Manager Michael (short guy with glasses).

Ryan came back saying that he couldn't help me, that I was asking the store to commit fraud and threatened to personally call the police if I didn't leave. I asked him at what point I had asked the store to commit fraud, and he didn't answer. He got close to me, he was pale and nervous, and reiterated that there was nothing he could do and that he would call the police if I didn't leave. I asked him what I had done to merit such treatment, given that I hadn't even raised my voice. Assistant Manager Michael was nearby and I asked Michael if I had behaved inappropriately, and he said that I had not. Ryan said that my account had been blocked because I had dealt with various Cox agents and because "my issue" had gone up to the highest levels.

I told Ryan and Michael that I came into the store to find a solution, that I was offered a solution, that I understood and accepted that what I was offered was no going to work, and that I was prepared to accept the Bronze bundle for just one unit. They both said it could not be done. Ryan said he would call the authorities. Puzzled by the threat, I again asked what I had done. I told them I already had an account with Cox and that, at this point, I was merely seeking to upgrade, and to treat me like they would any other customer seeking a bundle upgrade. They said they had blocked my account and no transaction would be performed on my behalf. I then told them their actions and attitude smacked of retaliation. Assistant Manager Michael said he was sorry I felt that way.

I asked how else I could interpret their behavior and actions. I received no response. I then asked if I had done anything wrong, I told them to put themselves in my shoes. Michael finally offered to call the number from the store and allow me to place my order that way. He said he would dial from the store and that I could talk to a Cox rep on the phone. I agreed to that. I was so puzzled with the treatment and the threats to call the police, so I reiterated to Michael that I was willing to modify my request, that there was no need to treat me that way, that it had not been my mistake but Tyler's, all this while Ryan called the line. Michael then said he no longer wanted to talk about the matter, that he no longer wanted to talk to me, that I could talk to a rep on the phone.

I proceeded to call a lady on the phone, who was rather courteous. I then upgraded to a Bronze bundle over the phone. As I was leaving, I said "thank you" to Ryan who didn't look up to me or say anything in response. I then went over to Michael and touched in in the arm and said "thank you." he said: "Have a good one." I then left the store still confused and flustered. Got home wondering if I had make the right decision to still place my order with Cox give the extremely bad treatment I had just received.

Needless to say, there is a dire need for training and customer service at this office. Listening to your customers would go a long way. The red tape is worse than what you see in government. I have never before been threatening with calling the police simply because I was trying to find the best solution or gave feedback to a company. Please do something Cox! I still have my account with you, but I'm seriously considering jumping ship if this kind of treatment/incompetence continues.

I ordered the service through the area representative and he assured me that the basic service will be sufficient to do homework online, which is not true. Sometimes, I have to wait up to 10 minutes before I get connection again, I called the company and their answer was, "It is, what it is." I was in total shock about their customer service skills and answers. I had basic services before back in California but never in my entire life, I had to struggle so much of internet connection like I am currently struggling with Cox Internet service. Unfortunately, I don't have any other choice since this area is monopolized by Cox communications. I need the internet to study, that is all, is it too much to ask to just be reliable? Wow, this service sucks!!! I would never recommend this service to anybody, there is no such thing as ZERO STARS, because if there would be, that would be my rating for Cox Communications.

I was quite happy with Cox for many years. But for quite some time now - a couple of months now, I am experiencing problems with Cox internet dropping internet connections every night. It always recovers a few minutes later. Every attempt to resolve it with Cox - they blame it on customer's equipment, and you must arrange a visit of technician to troubleshoot. In many cases technicians are not even skilled properly and all they can do - swap out splitters, touch wires here and there - but the problem is on Cox's side - fix your network! I can give you all the technical details over the phone - power level, SNR etc. No need to send your poorly trained technicians and charge me for their visit. I already cancelled most of my TV programming and the moment I would find suitable replacement for internet provider - I will get rid of all Cox services.

If you are considering Cox Communications in Wichita KS area for Internet reliability - expect significant downtime. Personal experience as a customer I get uptime at 96.3%. In computer networking reliability terms this is extremely poor. Most businesses rely and maintain 99% or better. This is more than 12 days of downtime annually. If your revenue is $5000 daily and relies on Internet network connection this is a loss of $60K annually. Can you afford this loss?

COX email is the absolute worst service on the planet. It's down more than it's up, suffers from slow service, and spotty and inconsistent message delivery. As a retired Chief Information Officer, I would have lost my job long ago if I ran such a poor, slipshod service. It's time for the senior business leadership at COX to step up, and make the right decision to dump the CIO and replace he/she with someone that is competent enough to run a highly reliable email service. Reputational harm to a business is hard to restore!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.
  • Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.
  • Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.
  • Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.
  • Best for Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Compare Internet Service Providers