Cox Internet

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

4.0/5 (699 ratings)

About Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

Pros

• Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available

Cons

• Prices may increase over time

Bottom Line

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

Top Cox Internet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 ...

Verified

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal suppo...

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
  • Cox Internet Essential 50
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150
  • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
  • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
Is Cox internet available in my area?
Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Are Cox bundles available in my area?
Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
Does Cox require a long-term contract?
Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

Cox Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I had service from 2019 through 2022 in Oklahoma, and had used my own modem and router through the entire time. After terminating service when I moved, Cox attempted to charge me for a wifi gateway that I did not have and they claim had to be returned. After getting nowhere with their customer service I opened an FCC complaint that is still in progress. I have spent hours on the phone with their representatives with no progress, and their initial response to the FCC claimed that my concerns were addressed despite having made it very clear that I did not agree with the charge and confirming with the representative that I had been on customer provided equipment. The false charges after several years of constant service outages and degradations leads me to strongly recommend trying to sign up with any other provider than Cox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I had Cox account opened fraudulently in my name on January of 2011. I disputed the charges. Cox determined the charges are valid. I informed Cox that my house had internet under my brothers from 2010 - 2016. There would have to be a specific reason for someone to have two internets open at the same time. The person talking to me asked if I have had an experience before where did not recall doing something. The was not appropriate. Memory is not an issue. I remember clearly I was not making money steady from 2011 - 2016.

It would be impossible for me to open any kind of account. I still acted cordial with the representative because I needed information. All of my devices were connected to my brother's internet. Once his internet got shut off we got Cox. How could Cox let people easily use your information to create an account? It’s very strange that someone open the account under my address. It’s not like they could use the internet. I know someone corporation’s will read reviews that you post. This is my second bad review for Cox. They do not reach out to people that leave reviews.

From my experience. The everyday citizens gives their money to Cox and helps fund the corporate board pockets so they can survive. But in return, some of us get a false account or extra money on their bill as a thank you. The individual person does not matter to Cox. History shown many time the individual can change everything. As long as Cox can keep enough people happy, they can let some people dissipate from their view. I did pay the money that was not owed to them because I am in the process of building my credit. I was doing that successfully until this Cox bill came out of nowhere. I will obtain the evidence that I did not have an account open then. They say my email was used. But I do not have any past emails from those periods. I have no bills with my name on it from the mail from them. If I had service for so long why did I not receive in bills by email or mail for those years. I would like a zero star option for Cox.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

HORRIBLE! I only chose one star because I can't give it a negative star. If you have any type of billing issue they will NOT help or try to resolve. We were moving and were instructed BY Cox to leave the modem for the next homeowner, which we did. Now we are being billed $200 for not returning it. Even though we have the documentation that shows THEIR representative instructed us to leave the modem and they they agree that it's not our fault they refuse to credit us stating they are not allowed.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I am an online student at U of A and the constant outages have been a nightmare. Most instructors do not accept technology issues as a valid excuse to not turn in work. I'm expected to magically find childcare and head across town to a local library or business... If I had another option I would never use COX again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I was using COX internet connection for past 2 year. Recently we moved to a new location in Mesa AZ which is just half an hour from my previous house. After moving here we changed a new mode from COX. I am doing work from home. After moving to our new location I am not able to connect to my office server through Microsoft product like SQL Server and Visual studio.

I called COX customer service on Sep 5th 2022. They got the details and they told me that they have opened a ticket about this issue and they said it will take 24 to 48 hrs to resolve it. They also said that they will get back to me after resolving the ticket. I called them on 7th Sep and asked for the status. They said that the ticket has been assigned to someone and they didn't update anything about the progress in that ticket. Again I called them on 8th (more than 48 hrs after raising the ticket) still they told me the status as assigned but they didn't update me about any progress in that ticket.

The lady who talked to me asked for the IP address of the server to which I was not able to connect. I was literally shocked because I don't know how they could have worked on that connectivity issue without the IP address to which I was not able to connect. On 8th Sep they said they need 24 to 72 hrs to resolve the issue. I called them after 72 hrs on 14th Sep. Again they said the status of the ticket is assigned and they didn't update me about any progress in that ticket. It's totally 48+72 hrs of business days without Saturday and Sunday. I raised the issue on Sep 5th 2022. It's Sep 14th 2022. More than a week now. I am not able to work from home for past one week.

Cox network provider didn't take any effort to resolve this issue other than rebooting my modem which didn't fix this problem and saying sorry. They didn't even call me once, which they told they will to update me about the ticket. The ticket was always on assigned status when I called them but they never said a single word about what they did to solve it. I even asked them about the progress in that ticket many time but I didn't get an answer for their end. Very much frustrated because of their service and irresponsible, negligent behavior. One week of my work is pending now because of this problem.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Hard to think of a worse customer service! Ordered the StraightUp Internet service online. They got me the Essential internet service instead, and sent the "wrong" equipment. After about 3 hrs on and off on the phone with customer service, they cancelled the Essential and ordered the StraightUp one for me, including the shipping of the "correct" modem (with a $15 expedite fee which I did not request). Got an email confirmation for the new order, then 3hrs later another email stating that the order is completed and I had picked up the equipment! That would be the fastest package delivery in my experience.

According to 3 reps, I need a different modem. According to other 2 (including a supervisor in Sales), I do not. They charged $50 as equipment deposit, whereas their website says "No Deposit" for this service. Then cannot find the charge. They transfer you from department to department. Every time you need to authenticate yourself and half the time they drop the call. They never call back although they check that they have the correct number. All customer support is absolutely clueless, don't share the same information, contradict themselves and the email communication that you get, etc. A complete nightmare, choose another Internet provider if you can and save your sanity.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I had an internet subscription with Cox for 5 years at $83/month via their cable network. Decent speed and service. But suddenly I started getting emails some 4 months ago that I was getting close to the max. allowed data per month. Looking in details, sure enough there is a 1.25TB/month cap. There’s just 2 of us in the house, been working from home for 2 years, no change in internet habits. I checked connections and there’s no suspicious activity on the network. Little by little, I got that email earlier and earlier in the month to the point where it went over by 0.5TB at once. They billed me $100 penalty!! So I decided to shop around. I switched to what has been a cheaper, faster, no data cap service (for the last two weeks), and cancelled Cox.

Cancellation was easy enough at first. However, without notice, Cox deactivated autopay (good that I checked!) and makes it impossible to issue the final payment (links send me to service re-activation pages), bombarded me with emails and text messages so that I re-activate my account. They called me to offer a 40% discount. Sorry but too little too late. What genius at Cox thought that they can slap $100 penalties for excess data when the plan is “just” $83 to start with? So now I have to wait until they have live agents for a dreaded phone call (only weekdays) or drive to their closest service center, some 15 miles away… And hopefully be able to finish this cancellation…

Original review: July 27, 2022

If I knew ahead of time that is this is the only server in the area; I will literally choose to move away simply because of them. Constant blackouts because "Too many people are working from home.." You would think after 2 years they would adjust their systems. My wife and work from home, and I've lost thousands of dollars because of this horrible company. Run if it's not too late for you.

Original review: May 6, 2022

The internet goes out daily, usually a dozen or so times during the course of the day. When we called to find out what was wrong, we were not even offered a service visit. We were, instead, told that too many people are using the service and sporadic outages were to be expected. To me, this seems like overbooking an airline flight, bait and switch, and fraud, but I could be wrong. What I DO know, is that my mobile hotspot from my cellphone NEVER has the level of outages that Cox Internet's hard wired service has on the daily (not to mention during storms) and with a better quality picture. Do yourself a favor. Keep Cox out of your home.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I needed to edit my router settings. The settings page said they were being "automatically managed" and wouldn't allow me to edit the settings I needed to connect an older device I had that wasn't compatible with the new configurations. I could literally see the thing I needed to change right there on the page in a drop-down menu that was grayed out. So I called customer service and was treated horribly. The first person I talked to transferred me to tier 2 quickly, and the tier 2 tech support guy was nice but couldn't get me what I needed. He said he would transfer me to an engineer in tier 3, but then hung up on me. I waited a little bit for a callback, but never got one.

So I called again. I got stuck with a guy who was polite, but clearly didn't know what he was doing. He would repeat back to me what he thought my issue was, but it was a totally different thing. I would clarify and he would keep saying "oh so you need help with [completely wrong thing that has nothing to do with my issue]." Then he said I needed to pay $10 a month for more help. I have to pay extra to get support for a service I am already billed a high amount for?? That's ridiculous!

Eventually I convinced him to pass me onto a tier 2 agent, hoping I would be able to talk to the man who had hung up on me before (probably accidentally). Then I spoke with a woman who was very rude and lied to me, saying there was no tier 3, she was the highest it went, and that there was no way anyone could change that setting I needed changed. She also tried to say I needed to pay $10 a month to receive more help. How can Cox claim to be a good business when they won't even help you when their product is faulty?

I don't recommend Cox because they lie to you, are overly complicated on purpose in hopes of selling you more stuff you don't need, and refuse to give you full control over your own account even if you are a paying customer. I am the administrator for my account, I should be able to change my own settings. No one should have to pay extra for competent tech support. Honestly, what I needed wasn't even tech support. I just needed to change one setting that was already on the page. This is ridiculous.

Cox Internet Company Information