Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I contacted Cox to downgrade the Internet service given that it typically wasn't delivering anywhere near the advertised speeds anyway. On my next bill I see that suddenly and inexplicably the cost of my TV service has jumped up $27! For the same exact service! My bill is now higher than it was before I downgraded the Internet service! Do they really expect people not to notice these shenanigans? Nice job Cox, I'll now be canceling my service entirely.

Last month I called Cox to complain about my bill, they adjusted it down to $196.00 and assured me that it would remain at that amount for another year. Received my bill due in January and it was at $216.00. At no time during my conversation with Cox agent did he tell me that my bill would increase in the next month. I have been a Cox customer on and off for over 20 years and now feel it is time to look around for another provider. Will discontinue my service as soon as my contract expires 11/17.

So for the past two business days 12/20 and 12/21/2016 the internet and television services provided by Cox Communications in my area has been really subpar. As of this posting any individual online can still go to downdetector.com and clearly see that Rhode Island and Southern Massachusetts both have a giant Orange almost Red blotch covering the outage map of my areas. Concerning. Not an issue until it is an issue right? So Tuesday 12/20 around 8:00 am I needed to get a presentation ready for work using my OneDrive (which requires internet access btw, it is a cloud storage service). Of course, no connection. This in all honesty started just before midnight on 12/19 when I purchased a video game for myself as an early Christmas present on the Xbox Dashboard as they were having an incredible sale on a title I had been yearning to play so I decided to indulge and pulled the trigger. That's when the problems start.

My purchase went through initially, about the only good part of this situation. Once it goes through the Download status bar is now stuck on "Pending". Awesome right. Spend $50 on a video game you were hesitant to get in the first place because of the download to own method of buying games has not always worked out so well in the past. I immediately blame Microsoft and Xbox LIVE for not being able to handle the amount of purchases that were most likely being made at that time. Call the Xbox customer support who has me run some quick basic diagnostic checks on my machine and everything seemed to check out except one. When I ran the Advanced Network Statistics test it was continually coming back with a message stating that I was receiving anywhere from 20-30% packet loss in my WIRED connection. Why wired connection?

From a Gaming and Video Streaming standpoint wired connections have always provided me with the most reliable connections so if I can wire it, I will and hide the wires somewhere later. :). So I call Cox. Oh yeah. It's time to let them know what's going on and why am I losing 30% of my data through their connection to my single family home. I mean this is is MY connection only, I am not good at sharing and I'm a data HOG, apologies to future roommates. They immediately shift the blame to Microsoft's Xbox One and claim, packet loss? Wait a minute, the funniest part was when I had explained my issue initially, the first Cox Customer Support Tech had no idea what "packet loss" or "data packets" were and asked me if they had something to do with tweets? Tweets? What? So I politely explained to her what they consisted of and then politely asked to be transferred to a Tier 2 agent.

This agent knows her stuff. She immediately understood my issue, but once again, decided to forward the blame unto others and not Cox themselves. I mean really why would the cable internet company have anything to do with the cable internet being poorly managed. Really guy? Well once she put me in my place and told me facts, I immediately was referred to downdetector.com not by myself mind you. By the Tier 2 agent who barked it at me to check to prove I was the one who was wrong. Did I mention she was most likely in a foreign land and had no idea where I was and surely she didn't have the motivation to type in my personal location into downdetector.com because that would be too easy. So I did it for her. I compiled a 2 day report from the site and took screenshots of the giant red blotch covering my area.

When you type Cox Communications into the website it recognizes the business immediately and puts you on the page. Right away it shows "Cox has problems" in a Big Red Box and individual reports and comments were flying into the site by the dozens as I read the consumer complaints. I demanded a 2 day credit and was refunded a whopping $5. They still have not addressed the issue as of this Consumer Affair review.

My entire neighborhood is out right now in Tiverton Rhode Island and the Holidays being just around the corner, not only is my business stifled and at a stand still because as a graphic designer I rely on my internet speed for my business and with the approaching festivities that means business for me but my deadlines can't be met because Cox Communications, the only high speed internet option in Bristol County Rhode Island is monopolizing the industry and I have no other choice but to pay these crooks an insane monthly bill for a service that rivals that of a communications company based in Aleppo, Syria with the continuous and repeated service blackouts and outages.

The Holiday Season is now a travesty in my house because we currently cannot get anything done. We hope you all have a better experience this holiday season sincerely and shame on Cox for not addressing this sooner, trying to save face and just pawning the isse onto a business that is based on the West Coast. Xbox isn't the problem Cox, you are.

Here in Fredericksburg Va. they may as well merge Verizon and Cox. Deregulation has done nothing to lower bundle rates. One raises and the other follows. We need to inform the press, elected leaders of this downright crime.

Their team is hit and miss. Their sales department has collection style tactics. They will use your own usage information to prove their sales pitch. "You use x amount of Internet, that is excessive for the package you have! You NEED this..." expensive rates because they know DARN well they are a monopoly! Take this away from them. I demand to have a say in my choice! I WANT Time Warner but these money hungry scammers have the city where I live which gives me no choice. What kind of bull crap is this!? I hope they get dismantled and TWC merging with AT&T bites them in the rear.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

I had been a long-standing Cox communications account holder with only internet provided to me. Although we have had a few hiccups on the way with service which they diligently try to fix I have never experienced such shadiness as when I had called and canceled my service in Oct 2016 only to find out they continued to bill me for the next two months thus totaling $140. They claimed they had no record of me canceling my service on file. I am so very upset and feel I have been scammed. They didn't even try to remedy the situation nor refund me any of the two months in which we clearly did not use their service. On top of that they had the gall to ask if they could promote me to another package deal! I told them not to bother as I would never use them again. If you can, get FIOS by Verizon - they are much cheaper and twice the mbs.

My mother (who passed away in September) had Cox TV, phone & internet. I cancelled the service and returned the modem and cable box to the Cox store. I was told there might be a final payment due and I told them to send me the bill and I’d take care of it. Weeks go by... Then over two months, and no bill. I figured there was nothing more due after all. Then yesterday I got a notice forwarded to me from the new tenant in Mom’s house. It’s an invoice from a collection agency demanding payment for the bill plus additional collection fee. I returned to the Cox store and demanded an explanation. I wanted an apology, any false derogatory info removed from my credit report immediately, and I told them I would pay the bill only if they would give me a statement of what was actually due.

The guy at the store referred to his computer and claimed they had sent me three bills already. I repeated that I had NOT received any bill from them and they had made no attempt to contact me before sending the bill to a collection agency. The jerk basically called me a liar, jabbed his finger toward the collection agency’s notice and said, “That’s your bill.” I crumpled the collection agency notice and dropped it on the counter. I told them I was NOT going to pay any collection fees and demanded they give me a bill with just the actual charges if they wanted to be paid. Again they refused and ordered me to leave the store, threatening to call the cops on me if I didn’t.

I was able to find out later that Cox had - without notifying me - arbitrarily decided to switch the account to electronic billing and then proceeded to send email bills to the former email address at my mom’s house which no longer existed. [Gee, you would think that Cox would have sense enough to realize that after they disconnect service, they can’t still send email to it and expect it to be seen by anyone.]

I’ve been fighting with them via email and Facebook for several days now. They still refuse to agree to withdraw the bill from collections and undo any false reports they might have made against my credit record. I’ve filed a complaint against them with the FCC. Cox made a stupid mistake. Then instead of apologizing and fixing it, they chose to be arrogant jerks and turn a good customer into a lifetime sworn enemy. If they had to do business in an open market with actual competition, they would never stay in business with that kind of stupidity.

Very poor customer service. In fact it's a joke. I've called many many times in the past and have pleaded to please make my internet usable. I am a single father and it's a crime to make day long periods of virtually usable internet. I pay for the expensive 150mbps. I originally had 50mbps but after being coaxed by customer service to upgrade I feel lied to. I have purchased 3 different routers and the last time I purchased my 80$ capable router I was laughed at by a customer rep saying "clearly my router was defective" when I changed it literally hours ago with a brand new cox one.

You people are a joke! I have to go to the library and use their internet sometimes because it's so bad. I hate cox with all my heart. I've tried being nice but it is a company that bullies you and does not care. With my "luxury 150mbps" internet I was supposedly able to watch high quality videos. There are days I can watch a youtube video in 4k and other days I have to watch in 240p.

Today, 11/24/2016, our wifi is off and on all morning. This is the 10th time this month we have had problems. We are in A 2 YEAR CONTRACT, yet Cox raised our bill last month. Now we get poor service. This cable company has the worst service. I have had a retention rep and a survey feedback rep both argue with me and call me a liar. I can't wait to move and get rid of this worthless company.

About three weeks ago, email from my colleague who has a Gmail account started getting returned... undelivered to me. They were told Cox wasn't accepting Gmail emails because they were SPAM. After much investigation by my colleague and myself, we understand that COX has decided to unilaterally not deliver all Gmail emails to Cox customers. Cox says there is no work around or fix for this. They have placed this restriction on their server because Gmail was sending loads of spam to Cox. To protect themselves they are limiting incoming mail from Gmail, on occasion one or two may go through when the server recognizes very little email is going through.

Is it mail or isn't it? Does a company decide which emails I can receive each day... and I have no idea which emails are getting through and which aren't. The Gmail customer gets three days of notification telling them there is a DELAY in sending the Gmail email. DELAY... it is never going through. I can only imagine the nuisance all the SPAM is to the entire digital world but I haven't heard of Comcast or Verizon deciding which emails from Gmail they will deliver and which they won't. This is a terrible inconvenience. Email is a form of communication and my communication is being controlled by Cox and not in a good way. The fact they don't care and have stated "this is the way it is," is a travesty.

We had Cox Communications as our cable/internet provider for over 9 years. We recently moved to the Kansas City area and had our service disconnected on September 19, 2016. Our address was updated with a payment sent to customer service at the end of September. We did not receive a final bill in October. Yesterday, received an invoice for $94.09 from a bill collector. It is impossible to talk to customer service agent - all phone calls are routed through a call system. I was finally able to talk to a customer service agent this morning and was told that they 'probably' informed the bill collector that it was going to be turned over for collection (keep in mind, we hadn't received a final bill from Cox), who in turn recreated a bill. If this is how you treat a 9 year customer, I would not recommend their service.

I had Cox for internet services ONLY. My account was set up with paperless auto pay had no problems. I recently moved so I moved my service to the new place with same plans "only Internet" which I was paying "$64.99". All of sudden after my third statements after moving I found out that my Cox bill jumped like crazy in 3 statements from "$144" to $232, finally to $157, a total of "$535". So I called customer service to check what happened. They said it's because I add cable to my service "which I don't have" and I told them "do you see any cable box from your company registered under my name." After they investigate they found out there's no box registered under my name and agreed to refund my money to my bank.

After a week I check my bank account was nothing refunded. So I call I again Cox to find out that my Cox account was credited only $146 after charging for 3 months. So I asked how come and her answer was that "all we credited you was after removing all the cable charges"??? I told her even if I got changed for 4 months of service I should have more credit and I asked her to do the math "$64.99*4=$259.96". They changed me "$535-$259.96=$275.04" which supposed be credited back to my account. After going back and forth and her telling me "we moved all cable charges" and me telling I don't care about removing the charges I care about how much I'm supposed to pay which is $64.99 charged for 3 statements. The rest should be credited to my account and I even asked to change me for the 4th month.

After she said that all what we are refunding I asked if I can talk to any supervisor. She said "I'm the supervisor" and I asked to talk to someone else. She said no one can do anything for me, Once I start getting mad and I asked her to cancel my service with Cox she said she can't do that?? I have to call tomorrow morning and ask for cancellation department. I Hate THE STUPID CUSTOMER SERVICE. One person say something. Another person say different. Total mess... If anyone out there read this help. I just need my money.

I am fed up with Cox Communications. I have been a Cox customers for last 16 years. They have been increasing my rate steadily over the years. 10 to 20% every year since 2000. Today I talked top Royalty department a Rep named Zee. Cox do not know how to value their long-term customers. They think long term customers are fool. They can continue to increase the rates. And we will continue to pay whatever increase they will charge us.

Last night without my authorization, one of their (Cox) representative reduce my quality of Internet service from Preferred Internet to just Essential. That is unacceptable. That is very unacceptable. They even did not apologize for it. On the contrary they told me the only way they are willing to give me back Preferred service, if I accept their increase rate/price of $72.99 just for my Home Internet connection. Why? What did I do wrong keeping Cox for last 16 Years?

Actually they do not care for their CUSTOMERS. That is the Bare FACT. I cannot take this type of rude behavior from Cox anymore. No one talks like what Cox did to me. You should also not accept such rude talk & behavior, I propose. I have decided to raise the issues further. I am reporting the "abrupt rate increase" matter to this Forum so that you all are aware of what is going on with Cox.

I like every one of you, who has been victimized by abrupt rate increase, to raise the issues to your local Congressman and local government officials. This is unacceptable. We need better government oversight regulations and controls on Internet Rates Increase. I do not like what Cox is doing -- screwing their royal customers like what they are doing to me (having 16 years with Cox). I am going to find out who are the other Internet providers in my area. I am definitely switching.

This company is by far one of the worst I've EVER had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with... I signed up online when I started my service & somehow got locked into a 2 yr contract, I contacted Cox to see if I could lower my cable "package" as I don't watch tv that much & I was told no due to this contract. Not only that, but right after I hung up with them, I looked in my bank account & it was just debited for my "current balance owed" & I did NOT authorize that... Well instead of them keeping as a customer at a lower rate, they will now have 1 less!!

If I could give a - 0 I would. This company is a joke. For months been having problems make an appointment. No one shows, say they are going to mail a new router. Nothing comes. Go to the store to pick it up, get home, bad router. So call them and 1/2 of being on the phone am told they are having problems with that brand. Go back to the store and they only carry one kind - that ones that are having problems with. Gives me the same one, I just returned. There is such a lack of communication with this company. Looking for a new internet company. Been with them for 14 months, no loyalty to old customers. Greedy company. DON'T GO WITH COX!!!

COX is doing deceiving advertising promising service and prices that are never honored. It is the most expensive internet service provider, charging 70$ a month for a lousy internet service at half the speed of TWC. Also they treat old customers like crap taking advantage of their almost monopoly status in some cities of Southern California and charging prices that are out of control, with the complicity of the state regulators that let them get away with any increase in price.

My reason for the review is that I'm a returning customers that been with Cox for 4 years and 6 months and still experiencing the same problem that caused me to leave - a high Bill that my budget can't afford and lies about my package prices and other things - and I'm tired of it.

This has to be hands down the worst WIFI service and phone service I have ever had!!! Every couple of hours either the phone or wifi is losing the signal. EVERY FREAKIN MONTH the BILL RISES!!! I'm so sick of this company. When this hostage contract expires, Cox can kiss where the sun doesn't shine. A company that continually rapes their customers. Unbelievable how uninformed the techs are when you call with a explanation as to why the damn wifi keeps going out. I getting rid of cable, use my cell phone only and look for a hot spot when I'm desperate for wifi. I will not continue to be taken advantage of. They want a rating, ZERO!!!

I have the 40mb internet service and it's always at 15 or 18. When you call them it goes back to 40 till the next day. The service is not reliable... they do overcharge you just so you can go there or call them so they can take the charges off so they can look good that way.

Save yourself the hassle and frustration and DO NOT USE COX COMMUNICATIONS AS YOUR PROVIDER. I have been a COX Communication customer for only 3 months and have had several faulty internet connection encounters with them - about 8 or 9 times the internet goes out for hours. They have had 3 outages that take 10+ hours to "fix". When calling to get help with internet loss issues, their employees have no clue how to resolve your issue and cannot seem to find any solutions. They usually just transfer you to another person who has no idea how to do their job either. I am a reasonable person and understand it is not the customer service employees fault, but COX should hire employees with knowledge of how their company works. DO NOT USE COX COMMUNICATION FOR YOUR PROVIDER. (Especially when you need internet connection for school/work.)

I just got off the phone with Jessica and she did a phenomenal job! When we installed the service they told us they wouldn't charge for a certain aspect, then the bill came a month later with the charge on it. So I called in to correct it. She apologized for the miscommunication and credited our account for the discrepancy. To me that is the sign of a great company taking responsibility. I recommend them so far!

Just unfortunate that there isn't a zero stars. I've been a longstanding Cox customer for phone and internet. Mainly because for internet there just isn't any service quite as fast as theirs. I pretty much knew I was making a mistake when I cancelled my DirecTV to upgrade to a bundle with Cox. My issue in the past has been with the frequent price increases. The issue prompting this review is customer service. I reluctantly decided to bundle with Cox. I went online and added Contour TV and upgraded my internet. I accepted the price increase and booked a scheduled installation day on the following Monday which I took off from work to be available.

I decided to call on Sunday to confirm time range of install and was informed my order had been auto cancelled. After about 20 minutes of them trying to figure out what went wrong they stated that they tried to call and confirm installation (on a order I just booked the day before). I had not one call from Cox on my caller ID nor an email regarding confirmation or cancellation. Cox customer service was useless as always. Their offer was basically they would help me rebook for a later date. I'll just go back to DirecTV where they at least made an effort to help me out. Bottom line is as soon as there is a competitive internet service adios Cox!!!

It's a second day I'm waiting for E-mail message from Cox with instructions on how to get this 1 hour free trial. Don't think I'll need it if ever I'll get it. It's all after having filled all required forms, registration and so on.

I don't recommend them, especially for Internet service. I used them for years, gave U-verse a shot, then switched back. It's been an overcharged nightmare since. I pay for the 100 mbps and I'm lucky if I get 60. Streaming cuts out and the WiFi is so slow. It's always something interfering according to the 5 techs that I've had here in just the past month. Bad wires. Ok, run a new wire. Still not fixed. They can't deliver what they advertise, but are more than happy to charge a ton for it. The techs don't call before, and sometimes just don't show up. When I call, they give me attitude. They schedule appointments that I didn't even make. Always promise a supervisor, never get one. Biggest rip off.

We have been having constant issues with the internet dropping at our apartment and we have had two techs out to our apartment and, they have still not fixed the issue. We called Tech Support and they always give us the runaround. They always says, "It's an outage," or that we need to "swap out the modem" (the usual lazy and quick fix), and our modem isn't even a year old. One of the tech never test the modem or even tried to see if the line inside the house were working properly. This issue has been going on for months. And no luck.

Get CenturyLink instead!!! Don't bother with this privately owned unscrupulous company. They kept charging me a one time activation fee every month... They told me my bill would be at a less expensive rate than the bill showed each month. The final straw was when I was thinking of signing up again after letting my service go completely for two months... The customer service workers Rochele then Kian... Then the so-called "supervisor" called Jolanda if that was even her name said she would credit my account to reinstate for the following week.

I almost fell for it until the end of the call when she had just said she would adjust the initial reinstatement to more than half the cost less than the former balance. I was very happy with this so I said goodbye and started getting my modem ready as directed. I left my phone just a few feet away when I came back to hang up after she thought I hung up, she said referring to my balance... "I'll just add it back in. I'll fix her..." Cox has lost my business because of their poor relationship with me. I was with them over 5 years. They lost my confidence thanks to their greedy practices. That trickles down to their low class customer service department.

They have become too big. They can't provide satisfactory service anymore. Their internet is slower than it was when they first started. I was told to get the faster service. I see no difference but charged more money. Their telephone service is so bad. I gave up trying to hunt down bad wiring in my attic, that they DID years ago. Now I just use a wireless throughout my house. The worst of their bundle is the tv. These new mini boxes are pieces of **. I have replaced 3 in the last 6 months. They take 5-10 sometimes to start up. Now all my tvs are helpless without a good functioning minibox. I spend more time watching tv online, and not with their website, that's terrible also. I am in the process of dropping them. I just can't wait for the day I am through with them.

Their commercials are so bad, full of lies. They seem to think they can magically float things in the air. And everything is so futuristic. What a bunch of **. It's false advertising. Everybody seems so happy, having Cox as their service provider. In the real world their stores are always overcrowded. I walk in one the other day. Over 50 people were waiting, about an hour and half just trade out a minibox. I feel stupid to be a customer of theirs. They are trying now to take as much money from people as they can. It is only a matter of time before their monopoly is broken up. Unfortunately the two other providers in my area stink also. Not as bad but, for what they're charging is not worth it anymore. Pretty soon everything will be online and they will have no control, to rip people off. Prices will come down to earth, and I hope they fold.

Potential customers beware - Cox is horrible. Internet performance is unreliable and slow no matter what supposed package they sell you. Add voice and you can count on being dropped in the middle of calls all the time. Don't try calling for help - it is their network although they will constantly say they need to come to your house to see if they can fix it. They will waste your time making you swap out modems too. It is their poor network, you will never get promised speeds and they are not upgrading the network. Do not waste your money and time.

I have been in my house a year now and Cox has been here almost every month sometimes more than once or I have spoke to them on the phone, internet connection and tv are the problems I deal with every month and they cannot get it working correctly and I have missed out on my 2nd job income because of this and it doesn't matter to them but to me it does because it is affecting my pocket/money.

Making this as concise as possible. I was quoted one price. Billed incorrectly. Called, explained dilemma, apology and got a higher bill. Called again, big smile big promise. Nothing again... And this is why I didn't or wouldn't sign a contract. And never received the signup bonus either. People said they were much worse than Verizon. I guess they were right. Looking to go to Verizon next I guess... Sad how these companies operate.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.
  • Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.
  • Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.
  • Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.
  • Best for Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Compare Internet Service Providers