Cox Internet

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

2.6/5 (39 ratings)

About Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

Pros

• Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available

Cons

• Prices may increase over time

Bottom Line

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

Top Cox Internet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 ...

Verified

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal suppo...

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
  • Cox Internet Essential 50
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150
  • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
  • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
Is Cox internet available in my area?
Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Are Cox bundles available in my area?
Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
Does Cox require a long-term contract?
Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I love that my internet provider is Cox now. When I had century link it was always so slow and never provided me with the coverage amount of upload and download I paid for. Now that I have Cox I am able to work from home and be connected at 100 percent rate. Having this service provider helps me feel safe and secure that all of my home smart devices and electronics will be connected always.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Usually works but at peak hours it can be slowed. Bandwidth is almost 1/2 what they brag about but it still the fastest in the area. I prefer to use my own modem and router and have improved upon their equipment. Buying it myself has paid off 3X over. No really is no other choice in my area.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Their customer service reps lie for no reason at all, damn shame. I don't have any problems with my service though which is a very good thing for my money. I have been with Cox since 2017 and I have only once asked or requested to speak with someone in the locality dept. Cox Cable is good but very expensive.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

We are a streaming household with 4 people who are home all day long. Our internet is hardwired and dependable. We never have outages or traffic issues with Cox Unlimited. My grandson does live gaming on his Xbox, my daughter watches YouTube or reads on Kindle, I watch reality TV, and my husband watches his History Channel. Usually all at the same time. Or we have movie night on HBO Max as a family.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I've been using Cox WiFi for my internet needs for about a year now, I had some problems in the beginning, but that is all fixed now, and I've had nothing but great service, and nothing wrong with the router since the beginning of when I first got the router, it was a splitter that needed replacing, I had the plan where it didn't cost me anything to have the tech come and fix it, and I believe that Cox had pretty good customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2022

The internet goes out daily, usually a dozen or so times during the course of the day. When we called to find out what was wrong, we were not even offered a service visit. We were, instead, told that too many people are using the service and sporadic outages were to be expected. To me, this seems like overbooking an airline flight, bait and switch, and fraud, but I could be wrong. What I DO know, is that my mobile hotspot from my cellphone NEVER has the level of outages that Cox Internet's hard wired service has on the daily (not to mention during storms) and with a better quality picture. Do yourself a favor. Keep Cox out of your home.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I needed to edit my router settings. The settings page said they were being "automatically managed" and wouldn't allow me to edit the settings I needed to connect an older device I had that wasn't compatible with the new configurations. I could literally see the thing I needed to change right there on the page in a drop-down menu that was grayed out. So I called customer service and was treated horribly. The first person I talked to transferred me to tier 2 quickly, and the tier 2 tech support guy was nice but couldn't get me what I needed. He said he would transfer me to an engineer in tier 3, but then hung up on me. I waited a little bit for a callback, but never got one.

So I called again. I got stuck with a guy who was polite, but clearly didn't know what he was doing. He would repeat back to me what he thought my issue was, but it was a totally different thing. I would clarify and he would keep saying "oh so you need help with [completely wrong thing that has nothing to do with my issue]." Then he said I needed to pay $10 a month for more help. I have to pay extra to get support for a service I am already billed a high amount for?? That's ridiculous!

Eventually I convinced him to pass me onto a tier 2 agent, hoping I would be able to talk to the man who had hung up on me before (probably accidentally). Then I spoke with a woman who was very rude and lied to me, saying there was no tier 3, she was the highest it went, and that there was no way anyone could change that setting I needed changed. She also tried to say I needed to pay $10 a month to receive more help. How can Cox claim to be a good business when they won't even help you when their product is faulty?

I don't recommend Cox because they lie to you, are overly complicated on purpose in hopes of selling you more stuff you don't need, and refuse to give you full control over your own account even if you are a paying customer. I am the administrator for my account, I should be able to change my own settings. No one should have to pay extra for competent tech support. Honestly, what I needed wasn't even tech support. I just needed to change one setting that was already on the page. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Had for 4 years. Never was able to get the advertised download speeds even when living in a big city, Phoenix. Was paying for 300Mbps and only got about 200. Any time tried downloading games off Steam it would be about 40MB/s download for 2 minutes then tank to 3MB/s for a few hours. Tried calling to see what I could do to help get the advertised speeds and they did not help at all. Tried buying a top tier router instead of using their router, didn’t help at all. I was paying 167$ a month for the 300Mbps, unlimited internet, and apparently Cox’s tech service. Such a waste of money when they claim to be such a good company and they’re ripping everyone off. Verizon 5G home internet has proved god-tier. 350-400Mbps and unlimited internet for 35$ a month. Not the fastest speeds in the market but the internet is far more consistent than Cox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Cox is HORRIBLE and when you have a problem they will say they are sorry but cannot fix it. I am on 4th Tech visit.... Internet is so slow it affects RV. I have to reboot at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

From the first day I got this service it has been a terrible experience. I had to change routers three times because they kept giving me broken ones. The Wi-Fi would constantly cut out and stop working. I moved and explained that I needed to have wiring installed in my apartment and needed some one to come out to do it. I set up an appointment and Cox didn’t show up. I set up another appointment and had to wait a month for them to come out. They sent out the wrong person so he couldn’t perform the job that the appointment was for. I called cox and had to wait 5 hours for them to tell me that I have to wait another 2 weeks to get my Wi-Fi. By then I would have waited two months for Wi-Fi because they can’t keep their appointments and send the right people out for the job. Cox is a terrible service and if I could find another Wi-Fi service in Norfolk I would have switched four months ago when I first got cox.

Cox Internet Company Information