Cox Internet
1.13/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

630 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

Cox is great. I pay $117 for 300/30 speed. I test and I always get over 300 on my MacBook Pro (paid $2400 for). My tests show I get 334/35. Yippie. To all you people complaining about slow internet we’ll hook your devices up to the fast short distance 5g WiFi signal. Not the slow far signal 2g. Also don’t be poor. Internet costs over a $100 and a medium computer costs over $2000.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent -- high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We have been having issues with 4 technicians coming to our home and not resolving our internet and cable issues. When Felipi arrived I said, "not another one" but with confidence said he will take care of us. In minutes he fixed the problem. And knew exactly what he was doing. Never had we had someone like Felipi. Thank you so much. We are very pleased with your work from Cox. Definitely requesting him again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I recently had my services installed and I'm thinking of cancelling already. I have had nothing but trouble with this company since before I even got installed. Their customer service people don't know what they are talking about, I signed up for a certain bundle online and ended up getting signed up for something else from the people over the phone, one person says something and someone says something else, I was referred to the service from a friend and they do the refer a friend program. They told us that once I got my services that we would get the discount. Well after I got installed I get a call saying that because I got installed already we don't qualify.

No one is on the same page, not to mention when I signed up online for what I wanted I told the lady that I don't have a modem or router, the guy that comes and installs my services asks for my router. I told him I don't have one so guess what? Now I have to pay more money to get the services because now I have to rent a router. My services online said I'd have to pay 114, then I speak to the lady over the phone to say with all the equipment supposed to be including the router everything I was supposed to be 137. Well that was a lie because now I'm at 149. This is ridiculous. I truly hate Cox and if it was the only place I had to choose from I'd definitely wouldn't have chosen them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I'm completely frustrated with Cox. I had connection troubles for 6 months and called several times trying to resolve it. I was typically met with "try unplugging your router". They also told me to reset it from their app, which didn't work. The main thing that annoyed me was that after a year I happened to check my bill (despite it being on autopay) and I saw that they were charging me $100/month. It had previously been $70/month. Apparently I'd signed up at a "promotional rate". They never told me the price changed, just tried to get away with trying to screw me. I can't stand when businesses try to hit you with hidden fees and don't tell you. I'd recommend looking elsewhere and hopefully you have a better experience than I did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Every time I contact Cox Cable with a complaint they kick off my connection to the internet and I have to reboot my Win 10 pc. I am getting tired of their ability to control my connection. I can't wait for competition like Spectrum or another company to break the monopoly on my neighborhood.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've had Cox since I moved into my home over 6 years ago. I'm loathe to change providers since I think they all basically are the same and it's a pain to switch. However, after years of poor customer service, never being able to get continuous service despite being on their top level Panoramic plan, and every time I call about my outages being told there is nothing they can do, I'm done. I had two horrible exchanges with service team at Cox today telling me their service is great after I explained what I've been going through with service being up and down multiple times per day for the past few weeks.

They would not send a technician our or even book one as they said there is an outage in my area (again - they say this every time I call) yet I pay a monthly fee for technical service insurance. They refunded me $9 which covers 5 days of internet service "for my trouble" -- which is a slap in the face when I don't have consistent service and work from home. Oh, but according to Cox, if I want priority service and continuous up time, I need to become a BUSINESS account. Really Cox? Is that the best you can do? I cancelled my service today and switched to CenturyLink.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I contacted Cox about new cable and wanted to verify a new line was not needed. I was informed it was not the case. The day of installation I'm told a line is required. I am too far along the process to get a new provider at this point in time. It is now 10 days after installation with an exposed cable line and I just contacted Cox and was told they have an in order, but no idea when a the line will be buried. How after 10 days do you not bury, let alone have a scheduled date. My line is simple and is completely through yard and dirt, not under driveways or concrete.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

We currently subscribe to Cox Internet and phone service. A few months ago Cox moved their phone service to digital. We do pay for the premium internet service which is $111. We often have internet outages. Now that the phones are digital we also lose phone service. This happens at least every 2 weeks. Techs have come out to replace equipment multiple times. It does not fix the problem. I work from home so every time the internet goes down I am unable to work. Customer Service is no help. They also usually cannot get techs out until 48 hours after we call. So we can go 2 full days without internet or phone. Why are we paying for premium service if this is all Cox has to offer? We are currently trying to find out if Fios is in our area as we want to cancel Cox. I would not recommend their services to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I am paying approximately $250 for internet and cable (no premium channels). I have called numerous times about the Charter on Demand Guide freezing without correction and finally gave up. Also have intermittent problems being without internet. I have to call Cox and have the modem reset which usually works but don't feel I should have to do this (it should work properly always). Recently called and was told by technical support that my modem was outdated & problem may be it is having difficulty running the current internet speeds. He said that a tech would come out & install a new modem free of charge since I pay for home tech support. I rushed home from work and when the tech called (he was on his way) he said that Cox told him that he could not give me a new modem. The ticket just said he was troubleshooting internet problems.

Tech stated they would charge me $75 for the new modem. I called Customer Support and was told that this must be a mistake but the person did not offer to send another person out with a new modem. Explained to her that the problem is intermittent but not a problem at this time. Still no offer to resolve the issue. Just want everyone to be aware of the poor service for a lot of money. If I didn't live in a apartment and had to use Cox, I would have cancelled my service last night.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs