Cox Internet
1.67/5
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

489 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Panoramic is a chip cable internet box you can buy in eBay. For 20.00 dollar you can purchase. The want you to paid 9.00 dollar rental every month and you never have what you paid for and paid for up to 300MB download and never have more than 40MB. Cable TV is ok.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Cox webmail is driving me to distraction. I absolutely hate it. I am in the middle of composing an email and the screen blinks and goes blank. When it refills, there is no draft, nothing for me to begin AGAIN where I left off. Not so with Outlook or Gmail which is why I am running as fast as I can to disengage all that I was connected to involving Cox webmail.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have been a Cox customer for over 10 years and my frustration continues to grow. I do not do anything differently than I did 10 years ago when my internet was $40/month yet they keep increasing my rate and insisting that I buy or rent new hardware. My internet works okay, but is nothing spectacular. A month ago I signed up for a new 12 month promotional contract for $73 to include average speed internet. They then started charging my bank account over $81 the next month. When I called they said there has been a rate increase with no explication or warning. I would switch to any other carrier if there was one in my area. They have a monopoly in my city and take advantage of their customers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I thought since I pay Cox almost $150.00 a month, that they would be willing to help me! Boy was I wrong! The first one says, I can't share your screen and help you, UNLESS you sign up for this service which is only $10.00 a month! So if you want my help, (they are basically saying) pay more and we will help you!!! What the hell is my money going towards anyway??? I hung up on the first person and called back, the second person helped me, although she said, she couldn't come on my screen and she never said why!!! So I disagree with the writer who said, they nickel and dime you to death! No, they $10.00 and $5.00 you to death! As if the rent isn't high enough, everyone else wants to charge me so much, I know now, why there are so many homeless people!!! No one tries to help anyone, just to help them! Everything costs money! I do not get paid enough for this!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

By far the worst service I have ever had! WiFi goes out a lot and all the customer service representatives say is “reboot your WiFi modem”. Some of the customer service representatives are very rude. I called disconnect my service after I moved and the representative was very rude, after she disconnected my service she did not give me a chance to ask any questions. She hung up without saying anything! I will NEVER purchase Cox service again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: May 16, 2018

My granddaughters accidentally unplugged router and we couldn’t get online which is immediate cause got temper flare ups in my home. I was leveled up to tier support 2 and Vernon was great. Took him about 10 seconds to have me look for the WiFi on button as I have a Netgear router.

Original review: May 13, 2018

The problem with Cox Cable is they nickel and dime you for everything. Everything is a package. I paid way more than I should have just to have a few channels that I wanted to watch. I really only care about the 3 local channels, the History Channel, TLC, OWN, the WC, and the Discovery Channel. To get those I had to pay for so much more. It wasn't worth it and I switched to Verizon.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cox has the monopoly in my area. There is no other to choose from or I would have changed long ago. The speed is average, the price is too high, and it is not reliable. The modem has to be rebooted often too.

Original review: May 11, 2018

As long as everything is working, Cox is great. However, if you have a problem, the customer service representatives are usually inadequately trained and try to charge you extra money and are slow to fix your problem. The good ones are absolutely great -- none better. It's the newbies that drive me nuts.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Whenever I have had an issue with service or my bill goes up - I contact Cox and we work it out together satisfactorily. Not perfect but way better than CenturyLink in so many ways!

Original review: May 9, 2018

They're too high in price, I pay just for internet $80.00 a month, plus tax, plus this, plus that and it seems to get slower and slower and then to increase your speed they want you to up it $5.00 a month, we stopped cable and phone because it was too high, and all they showed was repeats and commercials.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had my share of problems with Cox in the past, lost channels, pic freeze. Now all equipment has been updated to voice remote, I love it and no more problems. I'm very pleased with the new tech.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We get instruction on how to check out our own equipment or where to place modem. They are constantly upselling and can’t seem to keep the internet streaming. Repeated complaints from the neighbors as well as me get nowhere. Denial of service appears to be standard operating procedure.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The installation was improperly completed and they tried several times to correct it... It is still not correct. Speed is not constant and rebooting system happens way too often.

Original review: May 4, 2018

It started out great. Speed was excellent throughout the duration I was on the computer. But after about 3 weeks, I noticed that it was getting slower after an hour online. It's still like this today.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Cox uses an outdated platform and if there had been computers in the 1950s this would have been it. I used to have Comcast and I wish Cox could copy them. Cox also charges more than Comcast for less of everything.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Cox.net horrible in Las Vegas. We have had no phone and no internet for more than 48 hours. Cox has no idea when it will be fixed. People calling my home landline have reached only a fast busy signal for days. I have had zero dial tone for several days. My ISP is zero. We used to have intermittent outages for the past two months. When I asked for help they insisted it was my fault somehow.

My computer works fine off my mobile hotspot and my landline phone is plugged directly into their modem at the D-mark. They only want to send someone out and charge $75 to check my house wiring which is not even in use at the moment. We have had phone calls drop for 2 months. We have had internet dropping with a ping to Cox.net returning only a timeout for about 7 weeks. This is the single worst service I have ever had with any ISP provider. This is the worst landline service I have ever had with any phone provider. And they have the nerve to continuously increase their price every year. This is a total rip-off.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Cancelled my service with them mid term still but charge me full and on top of that charge me more. When I asked why was that they set notice of increase payment but told them have cancelled my services with them. They refused to refund my money.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Lots of internet problems, drops often, very slow, etc. Tech support is quick to point the finger at your computer or device. I'm not all that tech savvy and I end up helping them. Even if the device is brand spanking new they still claim it's the device even when ALL the devices aren't able to connect etc. Very very annoying.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Cox Communications is by far the WORST company I have ever dealt with. I have been a customer with them since 2015, and have only seen one good thing come from them, which was a new technician, and I doubt he will stay with them for long. Cox ALWAYS has its problems: horrible customer service, expensive products and services, and their products and services hardly ever work! What really threw me over the edge was my most recent interaction with them. I only have internet through Cox, and the package I have is $60.00 a month for 100 mbps, which the only cheaper package is something like 5 mbps for $20 less. One day, the internet went down in my area, which wasn’t proposed to come back on till later that night. The next day my internet still wasn’t on, nor the day after that!

On the third day, I called Cox and they said a technician would need to come out as something was also wrong with my router, which I purchased from them back in 2015, and haven’t had any previous problems with it. The technician came out two days later, and informed me that the communication from my router was too high, so he had to place a piece on it that would solve the issue. Like I mentioned, this gentleman is the ONLY good thing to come from Cox. He finished up and left. About two weeks later, my bill came and they were trying to charge me for the technician’s work. I chatted online with someone and they were able to get the technician bill dropped by ADDING FUNDS TO MY ACCOUNT FOR THE FEE instead of waiving it.

I thought the problem was solved and I would have my regular bill come out. I planned my bills accordingly, and moved money to a different account for savings that takes days to get money from. The day my Cox bill was to come out, THEY STILL CHARGED ME for the technician’s fee!!! Not only was my account in the negative because I did not plan for the extra money coming out, but now I had an overcharge fee from my bank, and extra money in my Cox account. I contacted Cox that day about the issue, and the guy said that the only way they could refund my money was by a CHECK THAT WOULD TAKE TWO WEEKS TO GET TO ME! I told him no, that it was not acceptable, and that I had done everything to ensure that this wouldn’t happen.

He continues to tell me that is the only thing he can do as it was an echeck that the money came from, and could not take the debit card number that is attached to that account to direct route it back. I told him to go talk to his supervisor to straighten things out. A lady came on the line and said she would try to get the check expedited, which still would not solve the problem at hand. Needless to say, I am still waiting on the check from them and I will be looking to find another company, even if it costs me more money in the long run.

The ONLY time the supervisor seemed concerned is when I told her I would be reviewing the experience and placing it everywhere I could. I can NO LONGER stand to deal with such an awful company that doesn’t care about their customers, attempts to suck every dollar they can out of their customers, and lacks the communication that is necessary for their inner business. This company is a JOKE. To anyone whom is looking into Cox’s services, do yourself a favor and avoid the headache!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

If you are thinking of signing up with Cox, think again. WARNING. WARNING. I was with Cox on and off for about 30 years. The company has changed so much, it is no longer the trusting and honest company it used to be. Every time you call with a complaint, you get a different answer. I went on seasonal this year and they told me nothing would change on my bill. WELL LET ME TELL YOU, it changed alright, I was paying $167.00 for TV, internet, and phone. When I came back from my vacation, and had Cox take me off seasonal, my bill went up to $234.00. When I asked them why, they said by going on seasonal, it took me off the bundle I was on and I could no longer receive it. This is a company you cannot trust any more.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have been using Cox for years. So far I lose connectivity at least 4 times a week. Just today, I lost connectivity twice so far (from 10 am to 1 pm). When I called to the service, they told me because of my modem sending bad signal, which is I just changed the new one because they told me the old one has bad signal. And they offer me to buy their modem (which is more expensive and worthless than normal price), or to buy their Cox Care for $10/mo, and with $75 "Tech" visit. I asked for "Tech" several times with everything works good and just waste money. DO NOT get the Cox internet is the best choice for you. They just want your money but not provide good service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had nothing but trouble with Cox. In 4 month that I got my service from Cox, I had nothing but trouble, they say they will send a technician to the house but tech is working as individual contractor and charge you $75.00 for coming over and when you complain about it Cox say it would reflect your credit. Never get service from this company. They never help you or service your needs.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Let me tell you this and you had better get this, and get this good. I have had your "techs" in my apartment and every single one of them are worthless. I am not paying another dime for absolutely no service, and furthermore I can to your "techs" jobs in my sleep, why I am just that damn good. I have been lied to, I have been ripped off by your company but untold thousands of dollars, I have invested thousands in my own equipment, thousands in my own maintenance and repair work. If I did not have a drop amplifier in line to my digital cable box I would not get hardly anything.

One other thing, you still have not removed the bogus and illicit charges off my account, and I am being billed one bogus late fee after another. This war has gone on since January 2017 if not before then. I will continue to speak out on every platform I can find and let people know how horrible of a company you truly are. You cannot silence me, I will go to the FTC if you do not remove the bogus charges immediately if not sooner.

Original review: April 8, 2018

After a recent move, we were left with Cox as the only internet provider solution, and if there were ANYTHING else available, I would switch in a heartbeat. We lose connectivity at least 2 times a week. Just today, we lost connectivity twice. Service is sporadic and slow, and customer service is lackluster, at best. We pay quite a bit for the service bundle we have selected, yet Cox can't seem to keep us connected for any meaningful amount of time.

Original review: April 1, 2018

For years I had cable and internet with Cox. We moved into a new house in 2010 and transferred that service and added phone service also. When that bill went to $220 a month, we cancelled the cable and phone keeping only the high speed upgraded internet service. For almost a year now, our internet service goes out every single day, and some days multiple times. Cox SUCKS, but unfortunately there is nothing else here as far as internet providers. They need to either reduce their prices or actually provide the service you pay for. Hate them!!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Cox is absolutely the worst. They charge you unbelievable fees for EVERYTHING ranging from $100-$200. And they tack on fee after fee. After paying $393, I was told that I still had a balance of $284, after paying that they’re saying that my new bill is $732 for just WiFi and Homelife. RIDICULOUS! How can my bill be $732 after paying them almost $600 in a week. Customer service isn’t any help, they try to explain all these extra fees and it just doesn’t make any sense.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have Cox internet 300/30 speed I pay $115. On my three year old MacBook Pro the speed test states 334/32. That's nice since I only pay for 300/30. On my wife's Dell I7 three years old also, the speed test is 65/12. So what I am saying is you will not get the high speed unless your equipment can handle the high speed. I see so many reviews stating you do not get the speed you pay for. Look at my situation. It probably is your equipment. Do not pay or complain about high speed internet unless your equipment can handle the speed. NOT ALL COMPUTERS ARE EQUAL. Her Dell was a little over 800. My MacBook Pro was 2450. Also Google neighbors affecting my wifi.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been a loyal Cox customer for about 20 years; right now I have bundled service with them. My lukewarm 3 stars is because in spite of the fact that they give me a loyalty discount every year (you have to call and ask for this), I still feel I am paying too much. I've had problems with streaming to my television; at least every two weeks there's a message on the screen saying I'm not connected to the internet, when the WiFi (which they installed) is connected just fine and I'm receiving internet on my plugged-in computer in the other room. I usually have to "goose" it by unplugging the set-up for several minutes, which seems to work.

I also have my internet go out at least every two weeks, then have to call and work through their automated system to get them to refresh the modem. And last week there were problems with their voicemail system not working in this area. Their customer service is mostly very pleasant and helpful, but I don't think I should be having to call for these issues in the first place. I get the feeling the wheels are falling off this provider, and things will only get worse. And the price keeps going up.

Original review: March 21, 2018

8 years ago I had Cox as my Internet and cable provider. I had problems with my cable box every single month for four months. I had to bring the box in and exchange it for new one so I lost all my recorded shows every month. They never even apologized or gave me a discount for their crappy service. Not to mention I got a different excuse every single time (lies & more lies). I moved into a big house with my roommate who already had Cox and complained about it. The Internet dropped roughly 5 to 10 times a day (this is not an exaggeration). I told her about my previous problems so we switched to another provider.

Seven years later I signed up with AT&T U-verse but they failed to show up for two appointments so I reluctantly got Cox communications again. They told me that their equipment has improved dramatically and that I probably won’t have any problems. The first two months I didn’t notice any problems but then again I wasn’t home very often. After that the Internet started dropping three or four times a day! I think if a business is going to offer a product or service it should work. Dear Cox - NEVER AGAIN!

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs