Cox Internet
1.37/5

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

553 Cox Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Cox Internet is a fraud and I am very displeased with them. They flat out lied to me about the promotional upgrade and told me that it wasn't contingent on the (almost) expired deal I had with them. I realized this after my monthly bill doubled in price. What a joke. Then, they couldn't even give me a deal at the price I had prior. Now, I'm paying 50% more than what I was told I'd be paying and they have no intention of fixing this issue. I've been a customer with them for over a year and this is how they treat me. If there was another service provider, I'd seith in a heartbeat. Even if I ended up paying more, it's worth it in the long run to not do business with companies like that.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

After more than 20 years with Cox, my monthly bill suddenly went up $50.00. I practically had to jump through hoops to find someone at Cox who could give me a straight answer as to why my rate increased. Long story short, I received two totally different answers that ranged from "some promotion expiring" to "the rates just increased." After a few phone calls, I came to realize that Cox no longer values customer loyalty and so I requested that my cable tv be disconnected.

It took them seconds to disconnect my cable tv service but for some reason they can't seem to figure out how to send a box to me that was promised in order to return my cable box, remote and cables. I've inquired about the box twice and they keep insisting that they sent the box. Today, I get a notice that they want to charge me over $400 because they never received my equipment back. If this is the way Cox wants to treat their customers, they are going to continue to lose business!!! I am currently looking for another internet and phone service provider because Cox does not deserve my business.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Cox Communications is a horrible company who does not care about customer service. They don't need to in most cases since they are usually your only choice. My issues have been so many. The last 2 months our internet goes down at least 3 to 4 times a week for sometimes hours. We have made several attempts to get them to fix the problem to no avail. All they do is offer to send someone out to look at your modem and charge you not to fix the real issue which lies in their old worn out data lines. I hope soon someone provides a much better alternative to Cox and runs them into the ground. I'd honestly pay double to see that.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I recently canceled my Cox services as I moved out of state. When I asked about returning all of the equipment I was instructed to return everything except the modem because it was so old. I did as instructed and disposed of the equipment and now I am receiving bills for $122 for the missing equipment. Despite talking to customer service they continue to tell me that I have to either return the equipment or pay the $122. I regret not getting the instruction to dispose off the equipment in writing but never thought it would be a problem. After all, why would I return everything except the modem? Clearly Cox's local agent need a lesson in the return policies and honesty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Cox tv, not good for senior citizens or disable, as screen goes blank often, and difficult to take action as advised. Cox had a breach of info and access, so they advised us all to change passwords. It took hours to finalize process, after I "finally" found someone that knew what to do. But today, I contacted Live chat and merely wasted my time. The problems I described of emails getting stuck, only happened after the problem they supposedly fixed. No priority given to retain customers because they know we have few options. All the complaints, no remedy, no goodwill benefit or discount for time services were unavailable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Cancelling Cox seems impossible. They made it impossible to cancel service unless you call in. I tried online chat and got a pop-up message when I clicked on cancel my service that said, "For assistance with this request, please contact Customer Loyalty (and provides a different #)." I connected with an online chat agent anyway just to see and she gave canned responses and deflected and ultimately would not help me at all and continued to send me back to the number I had been calling. No telephone # do they provide can I get ANYONE to answer. I have called the main Support # and the Customer Loyalty # waiting for someone to pick up for 30 minutes each time. I then called the Support line again but did not choose cancel my service to see if I could get someone to pick up, I gave up after 30 minutes. Waiting 90 minutes to even talk to someone is outrageous and shows how little they care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Terrible company set a rate, and just change it at will. Look at TOS: e. Changes to the Agreement or Service: Cox reserves the right to modify any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement including any aspect of the Services in its sole discretion at any time with or without notice. They doubled my service for internet to 100$ a month (from 50$) without notice or cause, because they "can" without competition and this as their service agreement I'm offered little or no recourse or action. It almost seems like they wrote this so they could bait and switch people have a nice 50$ internet with data caps, now I'm going to double that and hit you for data caps that I can't monitor without my own router. For all I know they are inflating my family of 2's data to above the cap so they can charge me more. This is a terrible company and terrible practices. I'm looking at local CLECS and praying that someone else can service my house, but so far no one can.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I hate Cox. But they are the only game in town. Just feel like they are ripping me (and everyone else) off. There are little fees on top of little fees. Rental costs for every little thing. Charging me for movies which we never ordered and never watched. Charged me over $100 for a professional fight in Las Vegas which we never ordered and didn't even know about until we got the bill. Our bill has climbed to nearly $300 a month for TV, Phone and Internet. They charge for things we don't want, don't need, but can't be removed from our service. I'm ready to cut the cable. I hate government involvement, but this is a case where the government needs to step in and regulate this rogue company. Cox SUCKS.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

A little background here, we have been Cox subscribers off and on over the past decade. I have NEVER had a problem with them in the past until this... mostly because I just ordered my service and had very little dealings with them except to pay my bill. Recently, my wife and I had decided to separate so I put in a move order to move my existing services to my new address. My wife called in to inquire about services to replace the services being moved that could be activated once the move was complete and told the representative to NOT touch or modify anything on my account, she would be establishing her own account and should be considered separate accounts.

My account ended in 03, the rep that she talked to incremented her account number to 04... instead of establishing a completely separate account number. She then decided to not purchase from Cox as it was going to be too expensive for her and ordered CenturyLink service. Fast Forward a week or so and we are talking things through and are working on our personal issues and we decide to move back in under the same roof. I cancel EVERYTHING else with no issue, the new apartment, electric, change of address, movers... EVERYTHING. Then I called Cox to cancel the transfer of service.

I was told that they could not cancel the transfer since the account and been incremented by 1 and I would have to cancel my existing contract (5 year locked in Early Gigablast adopter on a very good rate) and take one of their new packages. Well they had to run my credit again (hard inquiry), wiped out my existing contract as I was told it could no longer be offered and set up a NEW account, and incremented the account number to 05. They then proceeded to tell me that the lowest package they could offer was $20 more than my previous package per month and wiped out an Premium Channels. Well we don't really watch the TV anymore, we stream most everything but Gigablast alone was going to be only $10 cheaper than my previous contract with the bundle.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told essentially the same thing. I was overly frustrated at this time and needed to get back to work so I agreed and would call them back later to discuss further. I called back that afternoon and was connected to the Loyalty Center. I explained what had happened and what I wanted, i.e. re-instate my previous contract that they violated and just give me the services I had been paying for on contract for the past 2 years. The rep informed me that since the previous rep and incorrectly voided my contract and forced me into this new contract there was essentially nothing she could do at that point. She actually said it was done incorrectly and was their fault... but couldn't do anything to correct it.

So I informed her that I would be canceling the service... since we were within the first 30 days of service and going with CenturyLink, who my wife has coming out to install on Friday. Icing on the cake: With this switch in service that had nothing to do with the hardware, we sat down that evening to see if anything new had recorded on the DVR only to find out that since it was a "new" service, it wiped the DVR and cancelled any of our future recordings. Thank God for Hulu and Amazon Prime. See ya Cox. Never again!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Cox tech was out (only knew because neighbor saw) to repair lines due to "squirrel damage". Knocked out all services - TV, internet and phone. Their repair caused the outage but I need an appointment to get it fixed. Hopefully Congress deregulates broadband so we can get other choices.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

If I could give negative stars about Cox I would! Their wifi service is the worst I've ever had with unreliable wifi at best, at worst no service or spotty service with download/upload like sludge. Don't waste your time upgrading your router or modem, the issue isn't with that, it's with Cox itself. To make things worse, their new policy of data caps, obviously and outrageously aimed at customers who have finally decided to "cut the cord" from Cox's appallingly high cable prices, price-gauge customers who have dared to thwart Cox and stop cable.

They claim that the data provided is more than enough for the regular user, but that is absolutely untrue - either because streaming services use just "slightly" more than the max Cox offers should you decide to record anything at all, or because Cox's data usage monitor is completely inaccurate and you are not able to do a thing about it!! "There is no way I'm using that much data" is the commonly heard complaint. But... too bad! If you're in one of those areas with a choice, AVOID AVOID AVOID Cox. If you're one of the unfortunate ones where Cox has an unethical and (so I thought) illegal monopoly of wifi service, you're stuck. All you can do is complain to your congressperson, continue writing reviews, and wait for a new service who has not been bought off by Cox and who dares to compete then do a mass exit. Cox cable... one day this behavior will come back to bite you big time and your greed will lose you everything.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve called 4 times in 1 week for the same problem with my TV. Also, I’ve had multiple issues with internet service; ran a cable (like in the DSL/dialup days) and still have horrible service. Paid for computer clean up and still so slow it times out. I’m willing to move because of Cox horrible service since I'm unable to work from home!! So please do not get sucked into their false promises!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I transferred my internet to Cox maybe a year ago, from a different internet provider. I chose to pay for up to 100 mbps for $49.99 per month. I live with only my son, 100 mbps should be enough for 1 PC, smart TV and 2 phones. It isn't. Because my internet speed is consistently between 9-20 mbps. I called so many times, they rebooted my system and I really complain only when I start to have a problem with downloading a single page. I noticed, that another service is 30 mbs for $29.99. I decide to switch to that one, but I wanted to get my $20 per month overcharge back.

I was told, that in the fine print, they say that it is UP TO 100 mbs. I know, I noticed it. But I didn't expect the service to be that far off!! What it means is, that I can happily order 300 mbs for $70 and have speed of 9 mbs as I have now. Why I have a feeling, that this shouldn't be legal? Are they covered, because they say "up to 100"? Why can't I sell my stuff, saying, that it is up to 99% discounted? Changing service and if you read this and would like to join me in class action lawsuit, please contact me at **. By the way, I found on internet information, that in Barrington RI, where I live, Cox speed doesn't get higher than 50 mbs. They are happily selling 100 and 300.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I have gotten to the point where I *hate* this company. I've been a customer for 15 years. Most of the time the service was sufficient if not seriously overpriced - started at $99, now I pay $190/month with zero extras. No premium channels, basic internet, no DVR, etc. For at least 4 months of this last year my internet (and thus my phone) only operated a few hours a day. It was CONSTANTLY out. I have spoken to a minimum of a dozen different people on a dozen different occasions and got zero resolution. They blamed my router - sorry not the issue. Then they blamed their modem - made me drive over and get a new one (how much did I pay for this last one that you can't have a tech drop one at my house?)... Nope, not the modem either.

So finally they send a tech out (claiming they were going to charge me). Tech says it's "signal leakage" and that it's THEIR equipment causing the problem. He replaces equipment. He leaves my furniture moved, and his garbage on the floor when he leaves. Spent most of his time scrolling through his phone while I tried to explain the problem. No surprise that an hour after he left my service was down AGAIN. They refused to send someone else out and told me to "call them" when it's down so maybe they can figure out why (mind you they continued to bill me) - you mean call you on the phone that isn't working because my ** service is down??

Long story short, I spent almost 4 months without consistent internet/phone and was repeatedly told I would get credits to my account by nearly all 12 of their useless employees. Do you think a single dollar has been credited to my account? Of course not, their non-American support staff can't be bothered because they will never have to answer for it. So I'm in the process of switching to another provider and have no plans to pay my last bill as they owe me at least that much in credits. What they need to understand is that they are the Sears of entertainment providers... as in, they'll be laying people off and filing for bankruptcy before they know it - and everyone but them can see it coming. Every year we get additional and better service providers - Cox is slitting their own throat with their garbage employees and garbage service and I will smile with my entire heart when I see the layoffs starting.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Unfortunately, Cox has a monopoly in my neighborhood on cable internet. Their service has been slow and subject to major outages that last for hours at a time without warning and no attempt to text or otherwise proactively contact customers. I tried to upgrade to a faster connection, but because I bought my own modem from their certified list, and did not “rent” the same modem for $17/month for eternity, they would not help troubleshoot the issue unless I signed up for a $10/month service for IT support, or paid them $75/visit. Their tech came out, found an old filter on our house’s line that he said they should have removed years ago, then utterly failed to get the new modem working.

So Cox will charge you money so that you can upgrade to a more expensive service that makes them more money! Also, the $10/month is supposed to be for a personal home networking support service. Not so. If the tech can’t figure out the problem with their own network, he will bail and leave with a shrug of his shoulders. No apology. Just reached the limit of his apparently dimm understand of Cox’s own system. Tonight, the service failed while I was working from home. I called and they first said it was a planned outage for 90 minutes. Then they said it was not planned and would take all night until 8:00 am the next day to resolve. Save yourself if you can. If not, good luck and my condolences.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have had Cox Internet for over 10 years and up until the last 8 weeks or so have been very pleased with it. The service was fast and reliable and I've told many people that. However, starting about 8 weeks ago we have been experiencing extended power outages with it happening in the middle of the day. I work from home so this is a killer. I called today and several people were trying to be helpful but then referred me to another individual who clearly didn't have information about why it was happening and basically told me such a thing was unknowable...meaning, they really didn't care. Normally, it's not a big deal but I have to find a solution and am now looking at DSL in my area as I can't know if Cox will ever be able to fix the problem.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have Cox for my business internet. Horrible company. The business was down for 2 days and still down. Called 10000 time to tech support. But they don’t respond. Each rep say something different. DO NOT GET IT. HORRIBLE COMPANY. AT&T IS THE BEST.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Fountain Hills - My bill went from $39.99 to $65. They were just thinking I would bundle since I was already paying $65. Threatened to cancel and magically they offered me a $39.99 rate again. Avoid them at all cost, but you may not have a second provider. They spend so much money on advertising that could be going to customer service or cheaper service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When I logged into my COX account today, there was a promotion deal to upgrade my internet service for $5.00 more per month. I took the bait and then after I confirmed the order, they sprung a new price on me, tripling what I am paying now!!! A chat session with a sales associate got me no relief; she explained to me that I was on a promotional rate already and that I lost the present promotional rate to get the $5.00 off of the regularly priced internet service. Cox knows what plan I am on and they should not have lured me into this false promotion knowing that in fact, they would be tripling what they charge me now. The $5.00 a month increase was a FRAUD!!! I also had a bad experience with a customer support agent who terminated our chat session before we could conclude my business with COX. All in all, it was 3 strikes for COX in 1 afternoon! Beware of false advertising by COX!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

When I purchased my home the previous owner left a modem (among other things). I used this modem after signing up for Cox internet. After the first billing cycle I was charged a modem rental fee. Cox explained that the modem was theirs and that I had to pay a fee to use it. I told them I didn’t rent it from them that it was in the house I purchased. Their response was that the previous owner rented it from Cox and left it there instead of returning it and that if I used it I had to pay them a rental fee. Then when I went to cancel my internet they told me I had to return the modem or be charged a purchase fee.

I told them, "Why would I have to purchase a modem that was already purchased by the previous homeowner?" (If he rented and did not return he must purchase it by their policy standards.) And they told me the modem was only ever associated with my account and when I agreed to pay rental fees I agreed to return the modem based upon their policy. When I asked for them to show me proof of me obtaining the modem from Cox they said there was none, but I “could have picked it up from their store”. When I asked to speak to a manager the associate returned saying the manager was busy but after hearing the story had no different option: pay to purchase the modem or return it. I would love to be able to charge people twice for the same service at my job. Wait, no I wouldn’t. I have standards.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Cox raised my monthly without informing me, so when I called and asked for an explanation for the increase in my monthly I was told that they always increase price and that they do not need to inform customers. Not to mention any time you call for any changes in service your calls gets bounced around being forwarded to another person/dept to another person/dept having to provide your name and pin and explaining over and over each time. It's exhausting trying to work with Cox. But since there is a monopoly on cable internet you have no choice but to bend over and take it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I recently cancel my service through Cox. About a month later I received a notification through my bank that I've been charged $130 for the service in which I canceled already. I called to get a refund and they said that my account has been canceled but there was still automatic payment setup. So after days of getting ahold of them and them telling me that they would refund it to my account within 3 days. I get emails from corporate saying that they need me to provide them with documentation of before and after the transaction went into my account.

Now after the struggle of getting all the documentation for them because whatever I provided they would send a reply saying it was not what they wanted even though it showed everything that they wanted. I sent it a few more times as is and then they accepted it. Now it's saying that within a week a check will be sent to my house and then it'll take about 7 to 10 business days for to arrived at my house. Just Corporation has so much money and they will continue to try to take every last dime from the working person. With all that that happened with my bank account I was overdrafted and now I do not have the money to pay a bill that I have due on the 1st. I will never ever get Cox internet even if it was the only service available within my region.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this company. I signed up for their overpriced $60 for 50Mbps internet package, and I have my own equipment. First they charge me a $75 start up fee... This involved me calling them and giving them the MAC address on my router. Next month a squirrel chewed through the line coming from the road. They added a $10 fee per month to my account without asking as insurance against any equipment in my house. I only have internet and I have my own router... I called to cancel this and the next month I have an $85 cancellation fee for the insurance.

The next month they charge me $75 for having to repair their own line from the squirrel chewing it. So now I have to add the $10/month insurance to remove the repair charge even though it wasn't my house or equipment. I can't cancel this insurance for 90 days or they will charge me the $75 fee again. I don't have any other options in my area, so I am stuck dealing with their **.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I subscribed to their internet package of which they have a monopoly in Irvine of. I was told the install fee would be $75 or $0 if I could install it myself. I am tech savvy so I figured I could install it myself. After installing it I was finally able to get it working but connection was slow and unsteady constantly disrupting. I called in tech support and they said they would send over someone to resolve and check issue. I asked if there would be a charge and they say said I would only be charged if issue was on my install mistake. The tech came out and said line outside house was loose and he fixed line and added an amp or booster to help connectivity issues. The line used in our complex is about 20-30 years old as these units are old. They use the same line built back in the days for TV only. They are now replacing lines around the neighborhood with modern cable lines and ours have not been replaced yet.

This month I got a bill in the mail and they charged me $55 for tech service to my address. I called to ask why and they said that it was in the contract that if they have to come out within 1 month to your address to help with any issues that it would be a $55 service charge. That is plain outright dirty and dishonest. They basically want either $55 or $75 from you. They are ripping customers off this way.

When one pays for service they must be insured that they are getting a connectivity line for what they are paying. They have to make sure that each address has a proper connection for the service that they pay. The customer should not have to pay a service charge fee for installation service when mainline outside house address has connectivity issues due to it being loose or some other issue. The only way to resolve this issue would be to take them to court. The supervisor says that this is in their contract. I am not sure that a jury would rule in their favor over a lawsuit like this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I pay for top tier internet service, but I may as well have dial up from 1998. Inconsistent, choppy, slow internet service is what I have. I've called to troubleshoot and the best they can tell me is to reset my modems and devices. Or charge me to send out a technician to troubleshoot the service. Tech comes out, the service works fine for the ten minutes he's here (which I am inclined to think is not a coincidence), and then it's back to shoddy. I'm not a technician, or an internet specialist. I pay for service so that I can open my devices and enjoy the service that I pay for, at the speed I pay for.

I shouldn't have to constantly interrupt my work or reset my devices (which often doesn't even fix the speed issues) just to get what I pay for. This, and the fact that they don't really care to address the issues, I remember now, is why I left Cox years ago, and why I will be leaving them again as soon as I get out from under the contract they use to hold their customer's hostage.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent -- high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Avoid this company at all costs. I have been having connection issues since April, it is now October 17th. I can't even maintain a 6Mbps upload, only hitting about 3-4 Mbps. I'm paying for 30Mbps upload speed. I have had 16 technician visits, 2 FCC complaints, and ZERO bill credits. Cox representatives have told me they cannot issue a bill credit until the problem is resolved. However, every time I call they start the process over with a brand-new trouble ticket. So every tech that shows up says "the problem isn't in your house" and leaves. On Cox's recommendation, I have now purchase THREE new modems and replaced all of the wiring in my house. Still no resolution.

I'm paying for the fastest bandwidth package, WITH unlimited data, WITH the "Complete Care Plan". $130/month for a connection that doesn't function properly. If you live in an area that ONLY offers Cox Internet (like I do) -- Move. Find a city with an ISP that cares about their products and customers. Go with a Fiber connection! I will never live somewhere that only has Cox again. This connection issue directly affects my home business and side job, and the internet problems have eaten into my business as well as equipment costs.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Their service is horrible, they continually want more money every year as their service gets worse and worse... Their internet and Cable TV take turns going out during prime time hours when you're home and want to enjoy the service you're paying for... Truly not a well oiled machine but a rust bucket of junk... I DO NOT RECOMMEND them to anyone...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I really recommend not going with Cox. Their support service is crap. I just got off the phone arguing with one of them. All I wanted to do was get rid of what I have and get an internet plan but she kept saying that this crap I'm paying for $160 for is the better plan. It has a phone service I don't even use and really no channels. Cox you really need to upgrade your support service. I should not be fighting trying to fix my own plan. Never again will I go back to this crap company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The service is spotty at best, and their prices are ridiculous. Internet was down most of Jun, Jul & half of Aug. No email! There is NO OTHER BROADBAND COMPANY IN MY AREA, SO I AM STUCK WITH THESE CROOKS! I PAY FOR SERVICES THAT I DON'T GET! Please take some action! Someone start a class action suit, and sue these **! The email is down again, and I cannot communicate until I fax everyone a brand new email address, and that is a lot of people. If this affects my credit score, I shall seek legal action against Cox.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs