Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet
Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

PROS

• Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available

CONS

• Prices may increase over time

Top Cox Internet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 adults, I went to preferred. Worked fine except occasional slow loading while all 4 of us were streaming/gaming.

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet Shop on FYI

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
  • Cox Internet Essential 50
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150
  • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
  • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
Is Cox internet available in my area?
Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Are Cox bundles available in my area?
Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
Does Cox require a long-term contract?
Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

Cox Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I have been calling Cox 2 weeks before moving into my home so I can have service for my job. I have gotten a date going into October 2020! I'm in August and I move into my home in September! This means I will lose my job! I just bought a home to lose my job and lose the home I JUST PURCHASED! They do nothing to get me a sooner one. I have 3 kids and I'm so stressed out that I will be losing my only income to support my kids and provide a roof over their heads. All because COX will not find any way to help me out here. I had them previously for 3 years before moving and this is their thanks to me for coming back. And to make matters worst they are the only ones who services my area. This is my experience as of today 9/7/2020 still no internet calling into work every day and still no help from COX.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I could call or chat with Cox nearly every day if I had the time or patience. Nearly every day down speeds are less than 100mbps which continues for several hours if not all day. Some days the speed is back up above 700mbps down... which is acceptable to me. Tech support is basically useless. I hear “everything checks out fine. Your modem is fine. We detect no issues. Run speed test at this link.” I run a speed test from their site and get the same slow result. If there was another provider I would drop Cox in a second.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I signed up for $49 a month and my bills were at that number for e months and then I was seeing Cox charging my bank account $93 a month without letting me know. So I don’t recommend to you to set up automatic payment with Cox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I used Cox for the last year and their service and product has been great until they jacked up my monthly bill. I called and called until finally getting to the Loyalty Team (844-227-3943). I politely asked if they could honor my original service agreement and they refused and said it's not possible and instead tried to up-sell me on more products. I asked again if there was any way they could help me and was hung up on. I am very surprised at this lack of respect. I will be cancelling my service immediately.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I closed 7/23. Due to having work done in the house, I didn’t bother calling Cox till 8/7. The technician came out the following week only to find out the house needs a cable line installed. Due to this, it is out of Cox control to give you updates. Cox needed permit to dig to install. It’s been 3 weeks since the request has been put in. Just told 8/27 that in 2 weeks they will install cable line. Then I’ll have to schedule appointment for someone to install the actual modem etc. So looking like 6/7 weeks to get internet from Cox is ridiculous since new customers aren’t a priority and they have no control over the company that works for them. Very irritating. If buying a new place find out prior to closing if they ever had internet because if you don’t... could be 5 weeks just for them to come install a cable line eye roll.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

We have had their infamous Gigablast for over a year. In a home that is 1100 sq ft. We even have extenders to ensure everything is on point. 3.1 Docsis modem and router. The internet hardly works, when it does, it drops service all the time and then it's a huge hassle to get it back up and running. I now had my side of the home (unit b) set up with its own internet service. I've purchased a 3.1 Docsis modem and an ax router. It's all setup and lo and behold! No internet! Same exact BS issues that we experienced on the other side.

After days and days and months of back and forth we got an option for a tech to come out to check it out. Of course, out of our pockets. They had one option for an appointment which is a day where we are not home because we are with our business starting at 3am. Their next available appointment? One month away!!! What kind of BS company is this. This is the reason why I left Cox cable years ago. I haven't dealt with them in 13 years and now that I have to deal with them, it's the same story over and over again. Cox is an absolute horrible nightmare to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Please take my word for it, save yourself the time and energy and DO NOT use Cox for your internet/cable services. I was scheduled for a tech to come out to set up my services, they were 2 hours late, never called to let me know and I still am waiting for my internet to work all while they charge my credit card. Spend a little more and save yourself the trouble. They don’t care about customer service or helping. They just want to get whatever money they can out of you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Every summer the internet goes out from 10:30 AM to 3: PM. I've had people here several times. They say the problem is outside my house----nothing gets fixed. Local TV channels go out around 4:PM till the sun goes down. It's not just me, my neighbors have the same problems. I finally have gotten a number for an area manager, because I wrote a complaint letter to a local TV station. Cox is supposed to be sending out someone to fix things. Apparently COX does not want to be on the evening news explaining why their service is so poor. Still I wonder if anything will get fixed.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

The service problems that have persisted for ~5-months remain. These failures make my Internet services (contracted for 150Mbps) essentially unavailable to me for a majority of the time. Tech support insisted I had to upgrade to Gigablast without any real testing of my problem. I complained to corporate office in Georgia and a Service technician was dispatched. He replaced wiring from street to my house although he expressed doubt that this would solve my problems. He said that his testing showed good service signals.

Within a few hours, the connectivity problems resumed. Since, in the past ~5 months, I have not received anywhere near the service levels I contracted for and the constant interruptions (sometimes > 100 per day) make use extremely problematic for school, meetings, etc. I conducted very technical monitoring of my service levels for about 2 weeks. Two IP addresses were monitored testing both internal wifi and external connectivity. All service interruptions (failures) were up-stream of the Gateway. At no time did the home WiFi or connection to the gateway fail and internal connectivity worked 100% of the time. There were 2 days in between where service was steady with very few failures. Obviously, decent service is possible.

The pattern of the failures clearly point to a failure outside of the home, i.e. Cox interrupted service either willfully or by hw/sw failures. WiFi service was flawless throughout the monitored periods and internal use (not dependent on internet) worked without failures. The Gateway WiFi system works fine and loads/number of devices connected had no impact on service. It is worth noting that when I called Tech Support (including 2nd tier) other than rebooting my gateway, the only solution offered was that I had "to upgrade my service to Gigablast" purportedly because I had too many WiFi connected devices.

Any competent tech knows that the number of devices is essentially irrelevant to performance. Only bandwidth utilization is important; certainly well within the numbers we're talking about here. PS: most of my "Wifi connected devices" are passive (e.g. printers, sensors, cameras) except on those infrequent and rare occasions when directly accessed. This is a failure of Cox to provide the services contracted for.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Tried to replace Cox rental modem with retail vendor modem which is compatible with Cox ISP. Cox said it was unable to activate the retail modem because of the home wiring. Home wiring is coax cable. Cox stated that only their modem will work with existing wiring. This is a monopoly on the equipment connecting to their service which is in direct violation of FCC ruling.

Cox Internet Company Information