1.13/5

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been a customer with Cox for about 10 years. During that time, my bill has gone increasingly up every year from in the $40s to $70s now. Every year, I am required to call their loyalty department to get the best deal. Every year, they try to get me to sign up for a new bundle or deal which leaves me with more than I want or need and a higher or equal bill. In Tucson where I live, Cox has a geographical monopoly (how is that even legal?) and I have no other options for my ISP, so I am completely at the mercy of their profit-driven, corporate boardroom decisions to keep customers constantly clawing away at the system of yearly rate increases.

Their website promotes 1st year deals like "$29.99" for Essential 10 Mbps speeds, but this is so misleading given the incredibly steep rate hikes after the first 12 months. The other geographical monopoly in Tucson is CenturyLink, and while they are reported to have bad customer service, they at least offer guaranteed price for life. I am so tired of having to call every year and be hassled and have to fight my way up the chain to a better rate, just for 12 months.

In college I performed a business class project to partner with Cox to try and reach millennials and the Latino population in Southern AZ, because Cox was having trouble connecting with them. Now, I can totally see why! When a hard-working American worker with a family to feed and a mortgage to pay already sees rising cost of living and such, it is a massive disservice to customers to raise rates annually. Cox has no idea how this is perceived by the average consumer, and I hope I live to see the day where these awful ISPs are broken up by the government or better regulated or choose to put their customers first!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

DONT BUY THEIR SERVICE! We first thought that cox was a good service to save money, but it's A WASTE! A service member told us an Xbox and 2 phone devices would be a strong enough stream through a 40 $ package. So here we are speaking with a service member through chat after having to deal with resetting our internet multiple hours a day for grant it 3 months or so. As my s.o is chatting with the service member, he begins with saying that our package isnt good enough and offers an upgrade when we were looking for a solution. So we're sitting here thinking, your company sells lies just to get a sale?!

After persistently saying we dont want an upgrade, as the purpose is to save money, he finally has a suggestive solution then decides it's a good time for them to run a modem reset. It's ridiculous that you have to fight someone to get your internet in which you have already paid for. This is complete bs. Go spend your 40 for a company's internet that actually works and saves you the additional stress you dont need in your day.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

It refuses to forward certain emails. The GreenMedInfo Newsletter and NaturalNews are two but not all. I do not require big brother to screen my mail. I will be changing and do not recommend Cox. I have been with them over 20 years and have called and complained several times and have only received empty promises.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I signed up to the "promotional" $59.95 per month plan. When the installer came he said there was a data cap. I didn't have any idea how much data I would use so he said to upgrade to the $89.95 per month unlimited plan and if I didn't use a lot of data I could switch back to the $59.95 per month plan. I found I didn't use very much data. Needless to say, I cannot go back to $59.95 per month after I "changed" my plan! Bait and switch! And I did it! Argggggg! Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

These people should be out out of business. They don’t care about customers at all. Had service scheduled to be installed today for about a week. But for some reason last minute they decided to change it to a later date without a call or anything but an email with the date hidden. When I called they were extremely rude and said a refund would take 4-6 weeks. DO NOT GET SERVICE FROM THESE PEOPLE! Look elsewhere. All the bad reviews are right, I didn’t even get my service started before they started giving me issues, this company is a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Cox has no ability to service any rural areas in West Virginia but advertises it is available anywhere in the US. Cox is not the only liar touting service is available everywhere, when will BBB and the FCC stop this false advertisement?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We were told that the Panoramic WiFi at 300mb/s would work at 500 feet. When installed we only received 200mb/s standing within a foot of the modem. Once we were out of the room with the Modem the WiFi dropped to less than 20mb/s. The technician said that we had to buy the Cox "Pods" ($129 for a pack of 3) to extend the internet. The POD's only work if they are evenly spaced and within about 15 feet of each other so if you have a home where the modem is not in the center of your home and you don't want to start buying POD's for $47 each I would stay away from Cox as they claim 300mb/s within 500 feet but you will only get 200mb/s standing right next to the modem. Unless you pay an additional $129 (or more depending on your home layout) for the extra PODS. Sounds like false advertising to me.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Where should I start? From constant internet drops (at least 10 times a day) to the internet just killing itself. I have used many providers in my lifetime and I have never encountered an internet provider worse than COX. Now I know why their company is named COX because it is actually "**". The worse part of all of this is that I'm stuck with this COX up my anus because of the apartments I live in. Originally I thought Spectrum was bad but this experience had made me appreciate Spectrum so much more. Now I wish I had taken back the THINGS I said about Spectrum and not just Spectrum but literally any Internet provider period. I wouldn't use COX if it was free unless you want to punch your computer multiple times and punt every cat you see. So I will heavily advise anyone not to use COX not matter what the offer is. Trust me it will save you from doing horrible things.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

This is absolutely the worst company I have ever had to deal with regarding TV and internet. The streaming is terrible, there is buffering all the time, no matter what the time. Customer service is terrible, they don’t care anything about their customers, will not try to work out the problems. They are rude and state “take it or cancel it”. They are the highest charging company I have ever dealt with in regards to this type of service. If you have money to burn, sign up, but in this case you don’t get what you pay for. Worse experience in over 40 years.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Bad dealings. They didn't want to install our modem/router & 'cause they want us to rent their modem/router. They did not even inform us that they will charge us with the installation which we can do it by ourselves. Connecting the modem/router is just an easy to do but COX charging you for $75.00.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs