Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Cox Internet services allow you to sign up online in minutes and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Cox offers multiple internet plans with prices starting at $39.99 a month. Cox’s internet services are ideal for business and residential needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Cox offers high-speed internet across several different packages. Prices are prone to increase over time, but speeds are fast and users can bundle with cable or home phone to save money.

PROS
  • Multiple plan options
  • Bundle with cable and phone
  • High speeds available
CONS
  • Prices may increase over time

Top Cox Internet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

I've had Cox Internet for years. Prices have gone up once or twice by maybe $6. I've only had it go out once for a few [hours]. I started out with basic but with 2 teenagers, & 2 adults, I went to preferred. Worked fine except occasional slow loading while all 4 of us were streaming/gaming.

Cox provides excellent service here, fast, consistent speeds with minimal down time. Customer service isn't great but it's decent — high praise when compared with the dismal support from many other organizations.

Cox Internet plans

Cox offers five internet plans and multiple bundle plans. If you’re just looking for internet service, you can choose from the following plans:

• Cox Internet Starter 10
    • Cox Internet Essential 50
    • Cox Internet Preferred 150
    • Cox Internet Ultimate 500
    • Cox Internet Gigablast

Cox internet speed ranges from 10 Mbps to 940 Mbps. For an average family with a few TVs and mobile phones interested in light browsing and streaming movies and TV, the 150 Mpbs provided by the Internet Preferred plan is often sufficient. For gamers and others who require high speeds, Cox offers the 940 Mbps Gigablast plan.

Cox Internet prices

Cox internet cost starts at $29.99 per month. Introductory rates for internet service from Cox range between $29.99 and $99.99 per month, but prices are subject to increase after the introductory period is over, which is generally 12 months. With internet service, you pay for speed — the higher speed you select, the more you pay each month.

SpeedStarting cost
    Cox Internet Starter 10Up to 10 Mbps$29.99 a month
    Cox Internet Essential 50Up to 50 Mbps$39.99 a month
    Cox Internet Preferred 150Up to 150 Mbps$59.99 a month
    Cox Internet Ultimate 500Up to 500 Mbps$79.99 a month
    Cox Internet GigablastUp to 940 Mbps$99.99 a month

Cox Internet FAQ

How fast is Cox internet?
    Cox offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps. Additional plans are available at 10, 50, 150 and 500 Mbps.
    Is Cox internet available in my area?
    Cox currently serves 19 states, including Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
    Are Cox bundles available in my area?
    Most likely, yes. The Cox website provides a tool that lets you enter your home address and generate a list of plan options available in your area.
    Does Cox require a long-term contract?
    Many of Cox’s introductory rates require a 12-month service agreement to receive a lower rate. However, Cox does state you can opt-out of having a long-term service agreement in exchange for an additional $10 charge each month. Not having a service agreement may also make you vulnerable to more frequent rate increases.

Is Cox Internet good?

Speed and cost are your top priorities when selecting an internet service provider. Cox provides five internet plans in a variety of speeds sure to suit most people and has attractive starting costs on several internet plans and bundles. We recommend getting and comparing quotes from all the service providers available in your area to make an informed decision. Cox is likely to be a good choice for most people.

Cox Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Internet?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I have had Cox internet for the past 22 years. Nathaniel T has been very reliable. With the appearance of Covid-19 this past spring the nation has reverted to the internet for all things. This put a drain on the internet causing me to first increase my capacity to “unlimited” and then shortly after to gigablast. This seems to be satisfactory with 5 TVs, 5 cell phones and 3 iPads. I continue to be satisfied with my service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Cox is what I have and I do appreciate their services except that Cox should have special rates for Retired Seniors who only relies on Monthly Social Security Pension. The prices for tv should be reviewed including WIFI charges. They do have their Loyalty Department however it does depend on the charges done for Seniors including some Veterans.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

So far I have found that Cox doesn't have as many problems streaming as other providers. Their internet seems to run good as long as you have the high speed. A drawback is that you will pay dearly for this service, but if you're tired of spinning and not connecting to a device and slow downloads, then cox is your answer.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Easy and convienient service. Panoramic Wi-Fi works with my 3 devices. If the service lags your modem can be remotely reset. If you need to speak to customer service you have the option to text support but there is a considerable wait time for voice or text response. Prices are consistent with other services but I wish there was an option to lower bills due to limited income. Introductory offers fly by and the rates increase every few months.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I recently switched to Cox Communications for my internet-only service. My previous provider had extremely poor customer service and connectivity (sometimes it would take up to 5-10 minutes to successfully get on a zoom seminar...worse than dial-up!). Although I've only had Cox Communications for about 2 weeks, I am pleased so far with their service. Why, you ask? The first reason is that internet set up was a breeze. I received my modem the next day and was hooked up and online in under 10 minutes with no issue whatsoever. I've had real no issues with connectivity or delayed download speeds. Super nice! I do pay a little bit more ($15) for monthly Cox internet service, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

In addition, the original customer service rep misspelled my last name, but all it took was a single online chat from a rep to correct the problem the first time around. No repeated phone calls or back-n-forth to the company was needed. Also, I received in my inbox on several occasions, feedback survey, order receipt information, and today, a note regarding tips and other information the company thought might be useful -- this is indicative of good customer follow-up after the initial sell. Follow-ups make a customer feel like they mean something to the company, and it's an excellent customer service strategy for businesses that want to "stay" in business long-term while retaining their current customer base.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Well internet works fine but they installed it on one side of the house, so the other side doesn't get internet. I asked them to add another line to the middle of the house so we all get internet all throughout. Well they won't do it and told us we would have to find a third party contractor to do the work. I feel like they should redo the work since they were the ones who put it on a bad location.

Original review: March 3, 2021

The internet Cox provides is horrible. They only give the good WiFi to people who spend a lot of money. If they need money, they scam people. The WiFi routers they provide only encompasses one floor so when I do online school, I always get disconnected. Also, if you have more than 3 devices using the internet, everyone gets bad connection. There are so many other better internet providers than Cox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I have had Cox for 2 weeks now, switched over from AT&T and it has been an absolute disaster. Since they have a monopoly on the area there is also no other option. When the internet is "up" it barely functions. Continually disconnects and is about 1/4 of what speed I am paying for. There are also constant network outages where the service is completely down in the middle of the day.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Cox is the only cable internet provider in our area and there's no fiber option; we would otherwise "cut the cable" and move entirely to internet. I'd give them one star, but in fairness when Cox internet works it's quick. That's the extent of the good news. We have a Cox internet-TV-phone package that costs over $200/month, yet our internet access is frequently slow or unavailable. I have to reboot the Cox cable modem at least once a week and it completely failed after less than two years of service. Its built-in router was unreliable and totally inadequate so we had to purchase mesh wifi routers.

My spouse and I both work from home and our two children attend school remotely due to COVID-19 (like so many other families), so our unreliable internet connection is a big problem. And of course, Cox's solution to their poor service is to force us into a more expensive premium plan. I can't wait for competition to reach our neighborhood so I can dump this terrible company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I was paying 83 dollars originally when the pandemic hit. I work from home even before the pandemic and my internet worked very wonky. But it at least worked. Around June or July of last year (2020) my internet started slowing. My LAN line was connected to my work computer and PS4 and I have about 4 devices on Wi-Fi. I called them because it was messing with my work and my partner's school work and they told me that I had too many devices on my internet. I asked how many I could have on there before it starts slowing down.

They told me 7 was the max for my plan. I only had 6. So when we debunked that he offered to reset my modem. I agree and they did just that. It started working for my computer but the rest of my devices were not. I have been using my phone on data for the last half year because my Wi-Fi doesn't work. Of course, I called them again and they said "due to the pandemic we are having slow downs for everyone". I completely understood but I needed my internet to work. They said if I upgrade my service they will "prioritize" me. Due to it being needed, I took the offer and now am pay 130 for my services. My internet still didn't work.

I called again and they stated exactly what they stated before. I told them it was ridiculous that they want me to pay over 200 dollars for a service I already pay for and should be at minimum receiving. They offer to get me a new modem, which would be rented and cost me more than my other modem. Overall, Cox has been really bad at customer service and when you need them most, like during a pandemic, they make excuses and try to gouge more money out of you to put you on a special list. So I will finish off with stating what internet, cause I don't have any.

Cox Internet Company Information