Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Cox Internet Reviews

Original review: March 23, 2020

I moved into my apartment near my university and I had trouble connecting my router. I called for help, they sent someone out and told me I would not be charged. The guy was unable to fix the issue and he said I shouldn't get billed since he didn't fix anything. I got a $75 charge on my account day 1 of service. I ended up having to also buy a whole new router and modem for $129 day 1 too. I cancelled my service before the month was up, and I still owed them money even though their website lists that you'll pay a pro-rated rate if you cancel before the end of the month (I understand paying a cancellation fee since it was under a contract, but I shouldn't have paid any extra money toward my bill since I cancelled with more than a week left in the month). This company SUCKS and I had internet connectivity problems with Cox.

Original review: March 19, 2020

The store manager Brianna ** (had to get her name off her nametag) is extremely rude and disrespectful. Their hours are supposedly 10am-4pm and they closed earlier than 4pm. I asked her for her name and she told me I didnt need to know her name. I'm sitting here 9 months pregnant and due at anytime!! And have been getting the runaround about returning this $200 modem since the weekend!! I finally find the place and they close early but yet keep telling people they close at 4pm. This rude lady does not need to run a store and maybe needs further training on customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2020

First and foremost, I had received a letter on February 12, 2020 from the Paralegal Department stating that Cox will no longer apply credits to my account. I have no problem with that. However, I have a problem with Cox not changing my billing cycle to a prepaid billing cycle, as I am not able to keep up with my monthly payments. If they decided to change it, then I wouldn't be complaining about any late fees whatsoever.

Now what I find most troubling, is when Brandon had told me that, "I am not here to answer your religious questions, that I am here to help you with your account." Amir from Cox had told me yesterday that he was going to call me today to see if my billing structure could be changed by the Billing Department. Let me just state for the record, I have given Cox plenty of chances to get this right. They decided to not work with me, which is why I sent a legal demand letter. They continually send me letters every month threatening to shut my service off, knowing that I still had time to pay my bill. So they try to bully me by sending threatening letters, they don't want to change my billing cycle to a prepaid billing cycle, which is going to cost me more money on top of what I already owe them.

Cox is well aware that I am considered low income. I even told Cox that the prepaid internet they offer is considered discrimination to any minority. They charge 50 dollars for their prepaid internet, which would give you 25Mbps for download speed. My download speed is 940Mbps. By the way, Toni from Retention had told me yesterday that the pledge from the FCC will only be a case by case basis. Then Titus tells me that the pledge applies to everyone for 60 days. He tells me that I was misinformed. Just so everyone is well aware, the FCC is requiring all telecom companies to waive late fees for the next 60 days. If my concerns aren't taken seriously, then I will go public and expose the paralegal's name and email address.

Original review: March 3, 2020

The internet is fast but at an extremely high price. Sadly here in Oklahoma it is pretty much the only option. The real issue with Cox is the strict data limits they put on their customers and the outrageous prices that they have for additional data. If you are a cord cutter, I would suggest you look elsewhere but there really is nowhere else to look. They are the only company that services most areas which is why they can charge these prices. I called to cancel and was given a quote for a reduced price on additional data but when I attempted to take them up on their offer the system would not allow the discount. Hopefully competition will finally come to my area so I can switch. All I really want is reliable internet that my large family can use without constantly having to worry about overage fees. Cox does not offer this experience. If you are lucky enough to have options where you live, I highly recommend stay far away from Cox Internet.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I had Cox installed in May 2019 so it’s now Feb 2020 and 11 techs have had to come here for WIFI, phone, alarm, camera, cable, etc. I make the appointments for all 11 techs and only the last 5 have explained that fiber optic wires are being destroyed by water?? That's the reason why my cable, etc. won't last but a few hours after each visit... Now I have asked for credits so many times I feel if I’m begging! 18 other homes in this development have the same huge issues! Cox has refuses to place this address as unserviceable and keep charging me close to 280 a month! Don't ever get this company. They’re blood suckers and don't care about their issues....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My father's retirement home required us to use Cox, but it has not been easy. The staff have been friendly, but my multiple attempts to fix his cable, and provide special needs remote is so frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

If I could give Cox a fraction of a star I would and even that is a little generous. I paid to have the 940 Mbps internet plan which was a $50 Security deposit and then $70 a month. However the fastest speed I am able to get with my internet is 250-300 Mbps and sometimes ONLY 26 Mbps! I was only able to get 2 reasoning's behind this from Cox. 1 - There was a damaged fiber line that needed to be fixed down the road from my house, however there was NO work being done down the road from my house. 2- I have to be hooked up through an Ethernet cable to get what I paid for, WHICH WAS NOT MENTIONED TO ME WHEN I SIGNED UP.

I have had AT&T and Spectrum internet before and was able to get a great signal with great speeds through a wireless connection. Also the router that was installed in my house has Medium signal at best and not a single person can tell me why I don't have a stronger signal. All these problems and they expect me to pay when I wasn't able to once get what I paid for and now charge me to have someone come and get the router and cancel my service. I don't understand how they have business. The way they do business is horrible and overall a crappy company to go through. I will NOT pay my bill and will not pay for the tech to come and get the router and I will NEVER use Cox again as well as let everyone I personally know to stay away from this company as well. Save your time and sanity and go with AT&T. COX clearly doesn't value their customers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

They have a limit on the amount of gigabytes you receive! This is not said when you talk to them and is “noted on your first bill” is their answer after the fact. This is a horrible way to do business! They charge you $100 to cancel the contract that they trap you in. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I pay $109 mo. for Cox's reliably unreliable high speed cable internet. I've learned to have a good book handy for the times (can run a couple of days at worse) when they can't deliver speeds fast enough for watching 1 HD video streaming. This "service" is what automatically comes to mind when I think of Cox internet. This I've endured for years as they are the only internet in my area. At least they're consistent at being reliably unreliable, I can almost set my watch by it. I would advise researching another option if you have one.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I was charged at least $10 extra each month for going over my data, but that's impossible that I went over 1TB a month. One month I was charged $30 extra for going over 150gb, but there's no way I went over. Then when I go to cancel, the lady says I'll have a $60 early termination fee, but I never signed a contract, so I don't see how I owe an early termination fee. This company is shady and will purposefully overcharge. Nobody wants to help and Cox feels like they can do what they want since there's few options here other than Windstream and they're not reliable either.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team