Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Cox Internet
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Cox Internet Reviews

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Cox communications made a mistake on my service transfer from one house to next. They lost my old phone number. And the person taking the new order sold me channels and services I did not ask for. After a year of being on that contract, when I call them to change it, they tell me there is another year on the contract.

Since, I have called nearly 5 times, each time nearly 30 to 40 minutes, there is no case number to follow up on. Each time I have to tell them a long story to hear at the end, "Let us call you back," and they never do. What a drag to deal with these idiots.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Cox is the worst company I have ever experienced. This company needs to be shut down. Our house is located near the Phoenix Biltmore area and we are without internet for 2 weeks now. They sent 4 subcontractors so far and each one told us that they cannot repair our issue because we are receiving a weak signal and only Cox can repair it. Finally yesterday they sent a Cox technician who cut through the internet cable and told us that the surrounding businesses claimed about the bad reception and therefore our house needs to be cut off because our bad signal is interfering with the business lines.

We are paying $104 a month for the ultimate internet (their Gigablast did not work in our house) and only have a residential service so we are not important as the other customers. We do not know how to get internet back to our house. It is an incredible bad situation to give one company the monopoly over a whole city so the customers have no choices. This needs to change.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I experience two or more outages with my internet service every week. Outages happen during peak times. The service is overpriced and not even fiber. Unfortunately, they are the only provider in my area which allows them to raise their rates periodically as well as overcharge for their services.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I was initially given a 2 year rate of $89 per month for high speed internet. This was much more than I've paid for the same service in other areas, but they are the only ISP in my area of Northern Virginia. After a year, it went up to $110 a month. After another several months, it went up again to $129 a month. This company charges extortionate rates where there is no competition. Their customer service is also terrible. So glad I moved and don't have to deal with them any more.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

How do they sleep at night knowing they scam every customer? I have only had Cox for 4 months and I think there hasn't been one month where something is wrong with my bill. If they say "We can extend your bill for a week after its due" you better call them every day after that. These people have memory loss or they're just stupid. Cant wait for my year contract to be up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

This company is the only ISP available in my area so I am forced to use their terrible service. I pay for "up to" 30 Mbps and it costs me nearly $100 as they keep increasing my bill steadily with no explanation. (Never missed a payment, often pay early, no outstanding issues to note, excellent credit history not that it should matter.) They start you with special discounts which expire (that is expected). But even after that my bill somehow has increased over double what I expected when my promotional offer expired. I rarely get speeds above 15 Mbps and it is often in the single digits, today I am at 8 Mbps download and 1.3 uploads. I literally can't even stream basic media services like Hulu and Netflix.

After nearly an hour with customer service today, it's now ABOVE 30 Mbps which means everything is set up and functioning. Every time I contact customer service they try to upsell me a better plan or make excuses about the cause. I am almost certain they are throttling us because the speeds are magically in the 20's and 30's after I am done talking to them. No troubleshooting is performed when I speak with them. I do the usual troubleshooting (restart, update, disconnect extra devices, etc.) before I even contact them. I have already had several technicians out and they pretty much replaced everything outside and in and told me I was good to go.

Maybe the customer service agents are doing something on their side that I am unaware of but whatever it is, it should be done regularly and automatically - I should not have to argue with customer service and waste half my day trying to get the basic services to function as intended. This has been a battle I've dealt with for YEARS. I literally contact them a few times a year to have them "fix" my slow speeds. The customer service agents are always great to work with and quick to get in touch with but they work for a scummy company and I hope something is done about this soon. It takes a village of these tiny complaints to make an impact, please continue to speak up about this!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I've had service with Cox for 10 year now. Outages happen a few times per week. If you call about extremely slow speeds they will tell you to upgrade your modem or to have a tech come out (I did that once, cost me $80 for him to tell me they had a weak signal and needed to install a signal booster.) Also, I did buy a new modem, I can change them freely and the speed stays the same. Just did a speed test, 7 MBPS down and 12 UP. I pay for 150MBPS down. I work from home and require a reliable internet connection. Sadly they have the market cornered where I live and my only option is to move.

As far as price goes, I had a promotional offer when I first signed up, it was $40/month. Every year I have to call and negotiate the "best" price. Last month they billed me for $95. After speaking with them they only took it down to $83/month. Absolutely horrible business practice. I honestly believe the majority of their infrastructure must be from the 90s. It's that bad. If you have other options, don't even think about going with Cox. They'll disappoint you every time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

This is the worst internet experience so far. I have lived in remote places and had no internet issue. I am in a big city now and these people have not been able to setup my internet for a week. The customer service is a joke. They are super nice on the phone but have no idea what they are doing. Calling them is like wasting an entire day. I got stuck with this due to my apartment complex. Will wait for another day. If things don't work out, will try to report them to BBB and find a different company. How is this company staying in business? Feel ashamed that I have to work with this company.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Have had Cox for 30 years and have to keep up with the billing since it seems to change (another promotion) every bill that comes. I have bundled phone, internet and tv for the last several years. This month it was 24.00 higher than last month and is now up to 223.00 a month. After a phone call I was fed some baloney that Connecticut taxes are higher, etc.. They were higher last month too and have been for years but we have never had a rate increase this high. No way to change it,, they just try to sell you new products. I either cough up the new charge or try another carrier. I am a senior citizen and don't really want to go thru all that so will probably stick with Cox but would never recommend them to anyone especially after this last experience and rate hike. It's price gouging at it's worst and I am totally fed up with them.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Just looked at my bill for just internet $197. $100 for a few days of over data usage. Don't know how they can stay in business. Going to CenturyLink ultimate data for $49 a month and for TV sling TV is a fraction of what Cox cost.

Not sure about Cox Internet?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.

• Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.

• Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.

• Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.

• Best for: Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team