Cox Communications High-Speed Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was told I would get the bundle for $124 guaranteed but when my bill came it was actually $194. I called numerous times and was told multiple things about credits, more sales etc etc. After being quoted a better deal I took only for the wrong modem to arrive. Two more attempts for the techs and I find they cut my DirecTV line, literally! It was the biggest hassle ever. Since then my bill is supposed to be $84 total but every month there's something added and my bill is added. When I call I'm told it was a "computer glitch." My question to them is, they get over on so many people who do not look at their bill.

At one point my bill was approx. $1000. When I called they said it was equipment charges. But then I noticed a fee for the techs coming out which should be free for me because I have the coverage. When I called to ask about the charges on equipment and they tried to deny it happening. So two things are true with this module. They try to charge you for equipment even though it's turned in. They also inflate ghost fees and say there will be credits and never place the credits.

I set up internet services with COX for a short-term relocation for my job. My internet quality was great and I wasn't misled about pricing or anything. However, at the end of my 6 month stay I canceled service with COX and I was instructed to return my rented modem to the nearest COX location. I needed to keep my internet set up until the last day of my stay, the day I would be moving away to a city some 2.5 hours outside of COX's network. Because of this, I was scheduled to return the modem on my move-out day.

With all the hustle and bustle of packing boxes, loading, and general moving procedures in addition to crappy traffic, I finally arrived at the COX location just after it closed. I was very distraught because I just wanted to wrap all these things up and I was frustrated that I had just missed their open hours. I immediately called COX services, waited on hold for 20 minutes or so, and told an employee my situation. I asked how I could return the modem since I was leaving the city and wouldn't be anywhere close to a COX facility. The representative said she would have a return box and label mailed to my new address and that I could mail the modem back at that point. I gave her my new address, a PO box, and thanked her for her help.

I waited two weeks for the box to arrive. Nothing ever came to my post office, so I called COX again and sat on hold until I got a representative. I let them know and they said they would have a new box mailed to me. I confirmed my mailing address and I waited another two weeks. No box came. I was pretty frustrated at this point with having this modem take up space in my dwelling and at having to spend so much of my time on the phone with this company.

Next, I get a letter in the mail saying my account with COX will soon be sent to a debt collector since I hadn't returned the equipment. I called the company AGAIN and asked that the situation be fixed! The representative I spoke to was extremely rude, unlike the other employees. I told him of my concern and he was extremely condescending and repeated over and over again that it was my fault I didn't return the box before I left the city. I weathered his insults and asked him if there was ANY way to return their equipment other than waiting for this mythical "box and label" to be sent to me. He told me I could just take my modem to any FEDEX or UPS and that they could print my label and take care of things. I did as he said and FEDEX laughed at me, they said COX needs to supply the label.

At this point, I was pretty irate at all the time wasted, the way I'd been treated, and the threat to my credit. I called COX for literally the fifth time and asked to speak to a manager. I told him my situation and he saw the problem immediately. COX can't send these shipping boxes and labels to PO boxes, in fact, it says so right on their screen for the shipment. How frustrating! I finally got the box a week later and mailed it at my local FEDEX. I kept getting calls from the debt collector trying to get me to pay for the equipment which I had already returned. At this point, it had been two weeks since the FEDEX tracking number indicated that the modem had been delivered, I couldn't believe COX was still trying to process the return.

I called COX twice more, being routed around and around and around before I finally asked to speak to a manager. I explained to him my whole situation and gave him the tracking number from FEDEX. He figured that COX had lost my package/modem and he did some paperwork to get it sorted out. He even gave me his personal number so I could call if I had any more fuss. I called back a week later and confirmed that COX had processed the return. I called the debt collector to confirm that everything was settled there. I was able to get everything handled before this incident was reported on my credit thankfully.

At the end of the day, I cannot believe how incompetent COX as a company is. Three different employees all made the same mistake of trying to mail me the return box to a PO Box. I spent probably 8 hours of my life trying to fix COX's incompetence. I made at least 7 or 8 calls and waited on hold during each of them. Plus, I have never had a late payment in my life! I hold my credit in the highest regard and the fact that COX threatened it and took no responsibility causes me untold amounts of stress. I loathe this company and I would counsel all other consumers to steer clear of this nightmare. Transitioning customers out of service is equally as important as transitioning them in.

My husband has not once, not twice, not even three times but several times have contacted this company in order to make sure that the automatic payment is taken out on the FIRST of each month. I don't know who they hire but these VERY unintelligent people have screwed it up each time and we have been stuck with this company for three years while living in Virginia Beach, VA since they are the only company that is sadly out here. Well yet again we were told that our account had insufficient funds and the money couldn't be taken out so we will have to pay a return fee. HOW IS THAT FAIR? We shouldn't be penalized for their stupidity and their lack of listening skills!

It's a CONSTANT battle with this company for our bills as well as service. They turn off our internet without letting us know. And they say "Oh check their website." Well how can we if the internet is turned off? And with all of the customer services how hard is it to send out an email or phone call to let people know? Cox is THE WORSE company EVER! And we just sue them for our Internet. Cannot wait to get out of this area so that we can use a REAL company for our services. Hubby and I are SO DONE with this company it's not even funny!

I would just like to say that I have been an unwilling Cox consumer for the past 2.5 years (only because there are no viable alternatives where I live). Tried to scam me and steal from me on multiple occasions. Over the past 2.5 years Cox has I have had multiple issues with Cox with the most recent being double charging me for my monthly internet services and refusing to issue a refund.

Since beginning services with Cox I have been on auto pay so as to avoid even the possibility of late payments. On March 21, 2017 Cox took a $63 payment from my account (my monthly bill is $39.99) and refused to rectify the issue by providing a refund for the extra amount. On April 21st, 2017 they took a payment of $42.99 (still over the $39.99 amount I owed), on June 5th they took a $39.99 payment (finally correct but no refund for previous overages), then on July 2nd 2017 they took $83.

After speaking with multiple Cox representative I received a host of excuses from "We just took what you owed" indicating outstanding payments when there none, to "They just took the payment for July 21st" an amount they were not yet owed and certainly not authorized to remove from my account. Despite speaking to multiple representatives I was refused my money back and my account shows I have an upcoming payment of $39.99 due this month... again. Seriously if you don't already have Cox, or have ANY other options please for the sake of your sanity and wallets DO NOT GET COX. Trust me, not wasting your time and energy dealing with this corrupt company will be the best decision you could ever make in life.

As of today Cox has sent out a notification to residential customers in the Phoenix metro area. The cap is a 1TB cap, and their overage's based on how much data you use over the 1 TB cap. The internet service has become a monopoly where larger corporations are free to set whatever rules they deem worthy, and suck customers dry. If you have the ability to avoid Cox, I suggest doing so at any cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

I have been with Cox Cable for 35+ years. I am a senior citizen living in senior housing and have a fixed income. Lately Cox bill is getting out of hand. They took my modem which I had paid for and put in a new modem which I am told is better for upcoming services and now are charging me more money a month for this one. Every time I call, I get someone different who tells me it will be taken care of. I want to know how they get away with doing these things and you do not have any say in the matter. I was also told to call every 6 months and complain about my bill and they would give me $10.00 off. Why can't they offer something for seniors.

I have been a Cox customer for over 20 years. I recently moved. They told me I could get the new package for $159 a month. I agreed, and I asked, "are there any extra charges?" The woman on the phone said no, I got everything for $159. Today I find out my bill is $225. I understand taxes but come to find out I was outright lied to. I specifically asked if there were extra charges or anything extra. I do not like surprises. Before now I never had a problem with Cox. Now, I would say DO NOT GET THIS service or agree to anything unless you have it all in writing ahead of time. I have a tech coming out tomorrow to fix the internet because it only works sometimes. I have to reset the modem daily.

I had an account with Cox for a year and a half. During that time, we had countless issues with our internet and our bill seemed to just keep rising. I paid the bill on time EVERY month. Well, today I checked my credit and saw a collection account with Cox Communications for $74. I dropped them months ago and made sure my account was paid in full. FURIOUS that these crooks apparently sent me to collections, I called and learned that when they replaced my modem in 2016 (an attempt to fix months and months of terrible internet service), they apparently didn't mark it as "paid" even though I paid for the modem up front. So, not only does the service suck and cost a fortune, but apparently they'll ding your credit even if you're a perfect customer who pays on time every single month for a year and a half. Now I get to wait for that to get removed before I can get my next car. Stupid.

It seems that Cox has a monopoly in my area for internet access. We pay for 150 mbps but I get less than that speed when using Ethernet. Several times a day the internet goes out. I am so sick of this horrible internet service provider.

Congress should regulate the cable companies, especially the top 5!!! Cox is allowed to charge any amount they can! My internet is now costing me $67.00 a month as a package deal! I never once have my permission to increase the speed! They never ask! This is why!

I mistakenly kept an EMAIL account from Cox when I moved. It's been a nightmare trying to cancel that account. Their customer service is the worst I've ever encountered in my entire life. Essentially, if you lose your pin number after you move to a place where their service is not offered, you are stuck in their system forever with no recourse. Even bills that they send after you cancel their service will, as in my case, pop up one day 11 years later and be sent to a collection agency. They also threaten to cancel your non-existent service that they don't even offer in your area. These people are the worst kinds of humans I've ever encountered.

Because of "planned outages" my internet was out for 3 evenings in a row. I work on call, and that connection is my livelihood. When I decided to make the change, I called to cancel my service renewal. I waited for about 20 minutes on hold until I spoke with a person, whose sole purpose in life is to strong arm you into staying. I get that Cox needs to make a counter offer in order to retain some users. But honestly it got to the point where he was name calling me on the phone like we were breaking up!

After about 10 minutes, I had to get mean (hard for me) on the phone before he would cancel the renewal of my service. This consisted of getting hung up on and getting an email a little later. After I get home, they went ahead and turned off my service prematurely. Needless to say I will never go back after such an experience, and being the techie friend for customers and co-workers I will no longer recommend Cox based on this phone call and the results thereafter. Thank you for the lesson on customer service 'Kyle'.

Recently, I paid my Cox bill online. It said I owed $26.00. I paid it. 2 days later, my internet was shut off. I called and asked why. They told me that I didn't pay my internet. They said I only paid for my "stupid phone that they make me have that I never use". The rep said that Cox has changed their billing so the phone and internet are separate. So when you check your bill online, it shows one or the other. So you think you pay your bill, then your service is interrupted and you pay the $30 reconnect fee. This is so infuriating. They make you have the phone service that may never be used, they show you one bill and not the other, they change their rates and packages arbitrarily so your bill skyrockets overnight. And they charge you fees if you don't understand their already confusing billing. They should spend more time on customer satisfaction than on "account recovery". If I had another option, I'd take it but right now, they have me by the jugular.

Over the past six or eight months we've noticed slowing internet download speeds. Googled 'Cox Speed Check' and it verified that our account (that we have had for 19 years) is 'internet premier' at 150 mbps but only receive 26 mbps. So we called - they kept 'taking us higher' in the tech department until we were talking to some rude jackass who never gave his name and informed us that we were not 'premier' but 'preferred' at 50 mbps (still only getting 26 mbps). We are paying $219 per month at present and they have lowered our subscription to what they desire. The last rep that we talked to sounded like a man but we're quite sure there was no man there - but a company boy wimp who was rude and accused me of cursing at him... NOT.

Cox is a monopoly with too much power and needs to be broken up. They bought out a company called Continental Cable 19 years ago and have never upgraded our area but continue to raise their rates and now degrade the service without notification or lowering the monthly fee. They are basically thieves now considering their underhanded and greedy ways of doing business. This 'bundle' business is another way Cox Communication will skin you alive. You can't lower the bill by dropping a service - it will actually cost you MORE! Cox Communication must be stopped and awaken to the fact that they are not GOD.

Individual at the Solutions Center was not helpful at all. He acted more like a salesman try to sell me a service or product. I explain the email problem to him and the first thing out of his mouth was that my acct had been suspended and ask for a reason, since I have been paying on time for the services being rendered in a timely fashion. He told me he did not know why. I explained to him that my email system was not allowing me to receive or send mail. Right off he states he cannot help me, and proceeded to tell about paying for some service to fix the problem or to go to Best Buy and that they could solve my problem. And looked at him at stated, "You are suppose to help me, not send me off to someone else." He further stated he could not the fix for me or provide me with further info, and again told me the cost of some service that they could provide to fix my problem, never explained why.

I have signed up with Cox for their highest tier internet access: 1 Gbps up and down. Frequently (as recently as last night) I measure download speeds of less than 20 Mbps!!! When you call them, or when they send a tech to investigate, they measure the speed to Cox's facilities, which is internal to them, and always close to 1 Gbps. And they claim they are not responsible for the actual internet pipe speed and often blame the hosting sites. This is borderline fraudulent. I have little doubt they are aware of the issue and have decided to take the path of denial.

Today, May 15, 2015 I had a scheduled appointment for a 3 hour install. I wanted until 10;00 the time the text was suppose to be here, and the tech told the dispatch that he could not access my home. I have video cameras all around my house and there is no actual evidence that any person came to my house. When I called, the sales person tried hard who is in Las Vegas to get the tech back, but since he is a liar I don't want him at my home. In San Diego, we are forced to deal with contractors and they don't care if they show up or not. Cox has already a horrible reputation. Why don't they try to fix. The frustration is that we are bound to Cox as they are the provider for my City. I will have to change to Dish Network.

I have had Cox tv and internet service for most of the last 32 years. The service has never been better than fair. If I called every time the tv service, including Contour and dvr, didn't work properly, I would spend hours on the phone every week. The tv and internet service is not working at the moment. Cox says it will be resolved by 6 a.m. It's now 12:05 a.m. They also force you to have a landline phone otherwise it's a lot more for service without it. I'm thinking it's $30 more a month (more or less) to NOT have the landline phone. Ridiculous. I did call in the middle of the night and complained, and the young lady I was talking with gave me a $50 credit. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, why do I continue to use Cox. I almost switched to DirecTV because my friend had great service and pricing from them, but they don't offer internet service. They also require a contract. Cox is month to month if you choose. The other services available either don't offer both tv and internet service, or their service is worse, believe or not. The other companies also will not allow month to month contracts. Anyway, it's now 1:10 (I'm slow at typing) and the tv service just started working. I'm done complaining. Life is great otherwise???

We used to have Cox for TV but switched a while back due to the fact that if it rained at all the signal was always lost. I just found out a week ago (my husband told me after he had found out by accident since no one informed us of this) that Cox was going to discontinue any email accounts that were not associated with TV or internet or other services. I did not have sufficient time to transfer important emails saved in files or go through and look up all the email accounts that needed to be changed. I am very disappointed and frustrated with the lack of information from Cox that they were planning on destroying my email account. I will never use them again. They have horrible service across the board.

I have been a Cox customer for almost 10 years and it is obviously that they don't want any more businesses or no longer care about their customer. They raise their cost every year without any notice. When you call in, they just asked you to drop your internet speed for a cheaper price. I talked to the Loyalty department and they gave me the discounted price for 12 months starting in February 2017. It's only good until May 2017, which is 3 months after they raise their price again.

When I called in the guy in Loyalty department said "Oh well, we let you know that the price will go up in your last statement, why didn't you read it?" I said I signed up for paperless statement and set up an EasyPay to charge to my CC every month and there were no more emails telling me about the price will be increased in May. He said, "it is in your statement as a consumer, you have to download your bill every month and read it." RIDICULOUS, I signed up for paperless statement, that does not mean I have to download my bill and look at my bill every month when my payment should stay the same like what they promised.

This is a HORRIBLE company, they never value their customers, their customer service is rated NEGATIVE 10 stars. Representatives are terrible and when I talked to the supervisor, she had no way to find out who representative was talking to me earlier. Please don't do business with this terrible company if you want to have a peace of mind.

The following are my opinions: I feel this company has lied to me numerous times. I ordered Essential Internet Service under a PRICE PROTECTION GUARANTEE for two years. After the first year they raised my rate. Then only after complaining to numerous regulatory authorities they reduced it by five dollars, but not nearly by the amount they were supposed to. If there are any other alternatives when my two year agreement with them is up, I will pursue some. I already anticipate them to reduce my rate every year until it becomes prohibitive. This is by far the worst and most deceptive company I have dealt with in my life.

I've had Cox for years, only because I have no other choice. The service cost goes up every year and the quality goes down. I pay $60 a month just for internet, and lose my internet connection every night. I can barely stream anything consistently on my Samsung Smart TV. When I call COX they always blame something else. Sure, I'll get the connection speeds they advertise, for a moment, then the next moment it drops down to nothing. It's unreliable and frustrating. I pray for better options, or for better service.

Treating for breast cancer. Got a new laptop for X-mas but my dial up service w/ EarthLink not compatible, so I need new service. Cancer bills high and mounting. Need internet service to hopefully make extra money by working overtime (I am a paralegal) - spoke to a Cherene ** @ COX ** who said to me after I told her my story that she knows two (2) executives who she will have call me to set something up for me. She said these two executives handle these matters and she lead me to believe that COX was there for me.

Two weeks passed and no call from anyone. For two weeks after that I left 12 phone messages for Cherene and she never returned one call. Since my 12th call to her, I have had one sales person after another call me stating that Cherene asked them to call me, that they understood I was having difficulty with my COX service, or that I was unhappy with my service, etc. This woman is a **! You guys are right, RUN FAST AND RUN HARD FROM COX. What a crappy thing to do to me. She still to this day will not return one of my calls.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We are long time customers, it will be 11 yrs. in June and we are not satisfied with our service. Every month our bill goes up, it started low and now it's up to $208/mo. I call and they say, "lets decrease your internet speed and you can pay $190/mo." We do not have HBO or any other premium channel. We have internet, cable and just local phone service. Cable and internet goes out about twice a week. People cable jump all the time, "I don't like my service, so I cancel and go somewhere else, then I come back and get a better deal." We never left, never get any deals, and our bill continually climbs every month. We need to find someone else. I'm shopping around because I seriously sick of it. Just throwing money away. They have no customer loyalty to people who pay their bills on time and have been there from the beginning. I'm tired of them reaching in our pockets and robbing us.

Some people complain about fees and charges and taxes. What about the service? Was it reliable or not? As an ISP, Cox Communications is garbage! Just go to downdetector.com, to see what I mean. They provide internet, phone, and TV for customers all across the country (USA), and they have terrible service everywhere they exist. I have the Ultimate internet option. My speeds are 300/30. While the download speeds are decent, the upload speeds are so slow (100kbps-1mbps). The internet is unusable.

I got Cox because I needed a fast connection to play video games and stream my activities. I cannot even stream due to an error from Dailymotion, YouTube, and Twitch, saying my "internet is not sufficient to stream". When I contact tech support they run me through the annoying procedures that do nothing. Once in a while, my internet goes back "up to" the advertised speeds. The problem is, in a couple days the same problem returns and my speeds drop down to =<1mbps. I really wish Verizon offered Fios in my area.

I have had Cox for 26 years. I live on a very limited income so I have begged to get my bill lowered every year for the last few years. I have called more times than I can count. The Loyalty Dept promised me on 12/27/16 that my bill would be $95.62 for all of 2017 and of course it jumped $7.38 the following month and I contacted the Loyalty Dept. again and was promised $95.63 monthly for all of 2017 and then the following month the bill jumped another $109.32. Called again today was told discounts dropped in April... so much for the promises for the entire year 2017. Now they will give me $60 off for the year/$10 a month. I am a senior living on a very limited income and even less than last year because RX plan doubled monthly payment. I am so sick of calling Cox constantly, so much time wasted on hold forever and for very little help. I am going to have to give up on Cox and move on to maybe just Hulu.

For the first year we had Cox internet - it worked well enough. There were, of course brief, spotty outages and we knew not to use it during high traffic hours such as Sunday nights due to incredible slowdown. I could accept that. The past few weeks, since end of March, Cox has been miserable. Pages won't load, things time out, and often - we can't even get online. Forget Netflix or streaming media - no longer an option. To do work, etc. I have to resort to my long forgotten Verizon Jet Pack. It's nearly impossible to reach Cox 'customer service'. Obviously can't use online chat, and calling in, holding, etc. isn't doable. Gives me heartburn that we pay over 100.00 a month for fast, unlimited service - when we can't even log on. This has been going on weeks now. Come on, Cox - Care a little. ConsumerAffairs team... can't upload a receipt and btw - each time I try to submit this review... I time out. Will have to return to jet pack. :)

The internet randomly doesn't work. This doesn't happen once in a while, it happens ALL THE TIME. I didn't really notice until I checked my phone bill and saw that I was using 3 times the amount of data. So the internet was cutting out and I wasn't even aware, which makes it even more frustrating. We called them several times and they never fixed the problem, instead they said that it was because our internet wasn't fast enough to support all our devices, so they suggested sending a piece to put on the router to help. Well that didn't work whatsoever and they charged us $20 for us without even notifying us of the price. All together, our experience with them was terrible, and that is why we just switched to DirecTV.

There is no way to provide negative rating here so let me describe it. Cox qualifies for minus five stars for their customer services, how they conduct their business and how they address the issues. If you get a chance to get an alternative provider of these services do not even check their offers. They are unreliable, they raise prices without notification and without any viable reason. Their customer support is nonexistent. Their sales representatives have little knowledge of the products. Cox representatives are unfriendly and cocky. We have been cheated on almost every deal they offered. If you get a chance NEVER sign up for any service with Cox!!!

Cox randomly raised my plain vanilla internet fee from $49.99 to $100.50 a couple of months ago -- this is an INSANE price for the service I'm getting. As AT&T was offering me a much better price ($35 for my speed), I called Cox to cancel. I was put on hold for 40 minutes waiting for the agent. And then I was told that I would be charged $80 for a "contract cancellation fee"!!! If I'm under contract, why did you raise my fees by 100% with no warning? Did I volunteer to be fleeced? I don't think so. They told me my "promotional price" expired, and then they raised the "retail price" 2x in the past year... So I was locked into an incredibly bad contract. What the heck???!!! I canceled anyway, and as soon as I got home, I realized that my internet performance has deteriorated significantly. According to internet speed tests, my 50Mbs download speed has been reduced to 2Mbs. Wow. These are spiteful b___ards.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Among the largest ISPs in the United States, Cox covers 18 states, with its primary coverage areas in Arizona, California, Nevada and Virginia. Cox is one of the longest-operating ISPs, having started operation in 1996. It often wins PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Awards for its high-speed service.

• Advanced tech: The smaller coverage area means Cox can devote more resources to speed for its customers. It is introducing 1 gigabit-per-second speeds in many markets by the end of 2016.
  • Rapid growth: Cox is aggressively trying to enter new markets in Arizona, California and Nevada while rolling out Gigabit service and expand its coverage area.
  • Bundle designer: Instead of a limited number of bundles to choose from, Cox allows customers to create the ideal Internet, TV and phone bundle for their needs.
  • Some services are free: There are no initial setup fees with Cox, and it offers free cloud storage services that vary based on the selected package.
  • Best for Consumers in the 18 selected states who want the fastest Internet service for high data usage.

Compare Internet Service Providers