3.6/5 (563 ratings)

About AOL

AOL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: July 17, 2021

The news stories are getting more and more biased. More opinion than news. AOL seems to block people with different opinions. I am a paying customer and do not think they take that into consideration when denying certain components of their service. Once your comment is rejected, it appears they continually reject them, no matter the content. Not sure that I like my freedom of speech denied and will look for another service.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Every since over a year ago my account is ways has been blocked by AOL and they claim they can not see the issue. Then I see someone has been in the account and then my account and the problem is still an issue. I have gone to the site and wrote my issues and nothing is being done or even an email that they are or will be looking into! So I paid for service and now after paying for the case to be taken care hear every reason why they can not do anything and the site I have to leave comments at (Which have left 6 remarks in the past) and nothing is being done. So all AOL is wanting money for their service and take the DO NOTHING IN RETURN FOR PAYING CUSTOMER.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Recently had to open an email account with another provider. I've been with AOL forever but cannot handle their lying news articles. I've reached out to AOL with no luck and have even tried to respond to the articles themselves with zero success. I will not tolerate misinformation and happily leaving this platform. Good luck to AOL getting the younger crowd in that believe their lies.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Recently I have noticed a shift in how AOL operates their comment threads. I know others face this same issue and it is truly disgusting that they get away with doing this to people. I don't know how they target certain people, but they have targeted me and now it doesn't matter what I post. They reject it. I never thought I would ever have my voice silenced and shut down in this manner and for no good reason. They have community guidelines that they go by when choosing what to reject and my comments have never gone against them. I used to not have any problem posting and now my comments will show up at first, but literally seconds later they are flat out rejected.

They give you a certain number of chances and if your posts are rejected too many times you are flat out banned from commenting in that article all together. I have contacted AOL directly about this, I have made complaints with the BBB and the FTC and it appears that censorship is growing amongst the AOL community. The worst part is that I see so many posts dropping with nastiness and childish name calling and those people are able to continue posting. I post something that has no nasty names, no personal attacks and nothing going against the guidelines and I am immediately rejected. I just don't understand why this is happening. They don't offer any real reason other than to have you read the guidelines, which tell me nothing because my posts don't violate them.

I realize that AOL can choose to reject comments on a while, but when they have guidelines and are rejecting posts that don't violate those guidelines, it becomes baseless discrimination and that is not okay. There has to be somewhere that people can go to make legitimate complaints where their voices will actually be heard and something will be done. Otherwise they will continue to shut other voices down for absolutely no other reason than they just feel like it. If you value your voice and your right to speak freely, avoid AOL at all costs. You may eventually have your voice taken away for no reason and unfortunately you have no place to turn to to hold them accountable for their biased discrimination.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Every time I post a comment on any AOL news in the matter of seconds they delete it. I have contacted AOL several times and even posted my complaint and their monitors continue to delete any/all of my comments. Seems they don't like my comments on Trump and other Republicans! If I post where a person can find a copy of the U.S. Constitution, or where a person can find an actual video of Trump stating his lies, etc... AOL will delete it. I've been a paid member of AOL for 25 years.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Trying to post comments on AOL news articles. Today 3/3/2020 It seems I have been BLOCKED from posting comments. I have had this account for YEARS and today is the FIRST time I have had issues. It indicated I had to sign in, which I did and still could NOT post. HAVE CHANGES BEEN MADE TODAY or WHAT IS GOING ON?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I have had AOL for over 15 years. I do not want it any longer and have tried numerous times over the last year to cancel the account. I have gotten the run around and told I had to cancel sub accounts, which I did. Two accounts still show up but when you try to log in to them they do not exist. It feels as if you are being held prisoner to AOL. Do not pay for the services. They continue to raise the cost and do nothing to assist you when needed. Nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Frontier took over Verizon Services here in 2016 with AOL as their Email Server. I had issues with my Outlook Email. Was finally able to get Tech Support who set me up a new Outlook Email account. In doing so wiped out ALL my previous Emails. Was informed to contact AOL to recover these, no phone number. Just Email capable. They HEE HAWED around telling me after the 7th day that they can no longer recover Emails after the 7th day. The absolute WORST Email provider services anyone could dream of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I'm not sure how long I have had AOL, maybe ten years or more. I had it when it was a dial up over a landline phone connection. More recently they introduced AOL GOLD and at least in our area (Ga) you had to sign up for that at $4.99 a month. So I signed up, I stay with it as I am familiar with it and learning a new setup at my age is not what I want to do. I have had to have it restored 6 times. I use their provided phone number and talk to their tech people in India. They are pretty sharp and have so far gotten it restored. For some odd reason I find that I now do not have just the 7 email addresses you get with AOL but I have 18! 11 of my old addresses are now back and working. These are addresses I did have in past years and deleted them in favor of newer ones I wanted. No idea why they have suddenly appeared.

When talking to the tech folks in India they ask if you want to get 'free' this or that add on. One time I made the mistake of saying YES. I learned the hard way that it was only free the first month and would be 4.99 a month after that. So when they go into their spiel about this or that nice add on that is free just butt in and tell them you are not interested. I'm sure they have their instructions to upsell these add-ons so they will drone on at length about this. Just say NO right off the bat and don't fall for this free crap.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

AOL published an article about a tourist dying in an auto accident in Belize, but displayed a picture of a Carnival cruise ship. One has nothing to do with another, but it is a blatant act of sensationalism. Since the cause of the accidental death was a tire blowing out and causing a wreck, they could have published a story about the tire manufacturer who made the tire. Publishing a picture of the cruise ship implies that the Cruise Line had something to do with the death. FOUL, FOUL, FOUL.

AOL author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

AOL Company Information