3.04/5
Based on 1,135 ratings submitted in the last year

AOL Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I've had AOL for years. One day I get kicked out. Can't sign in. So I try to reset my password. Doesn't work so I find a phone number. Then they tell you that you need to pay to talk to customer service!!! I will no longer use aol. Recommend you don't either! #NATIONWIDEBOYCOTT

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have tried for over two years to close out a compromised account and no success! I have emailed AOL, called aol and no go. What can be done? My info is on the dark web because of this. I'm sorry I ever signed up for free aol account.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

They make you pay money to get technical support and then they do not deliver on promised email recovery. 3 requests, 8 phone calls, 0 results. I have been with AOL since 1988 and I will now look for a provider that is more secure and better customer service. MOVE YOUR EMAIL AWAY FROM AOL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. They also have liberal leaning news feeds, the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Microsoft or Google is a much better option. Make sure you backup your emails in outlook or something. I cancelled my subscription. I don't believe the customer service is even in America. American Online?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

My regular AOL desktop started looping at sign-in (sign-in, click for new mail, get pop-up that says "are you sure you want to sign-out" instead of ever getting mail (Chrome). I am a premium member and searched this problem and saw where there is this new platform and I begin an email in this ridiculous computer font is appearing. There is no selection bar on the "write mail" to select font, or font color, or bold, etc... Nothing there. How is this remotely possible that AOL would make an "improved" version that does a complete turn into the realm of a non-developed platform?

Then look to Help, and it says 'go to Write mail, and select "drop down menu". There is not a drop-down menu in site. Going to Mail Settings, nothing there about Fonts, Colors, nothing. So Platform itself is inexcusably terrible. Help is of no avail, were even the Help steps in some way correct, there is not even any screen-shots like any other basic user would know to add, let alone the great AOL.

Enough so that myself and other persons here - who have much better things to do with our time - and who are so upset as to click on Consumer Affairs instead, will I hope continue to complain this unacceptable "service" which AOL is not providing in any way. Honestly, as well, I am going to back up all of my years of emails - again - and on flash, etc, since there is no way to trust that AOL can stay in business as clearly they are not able to staff entry level developers, nor manage the product satisfaction, etc etc... I do not trust my data any longer on their system! Take note folks & back-up (which in all cases is good to do!) to AOL - read these - 30-year AOL customer.. (admittedly since Dial-Up!) Thank you Consumer Affairs!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

When I read the news on AOL, I go to the posting section. The last few months 1/3 of my comments are deleted even though they are decent/no vulgarities. I am sick of it. Will cancel my subscription. There should be freedom of speech, but AOL personnel who think they're God just do whatever they want to when no one is watching. People complain constantly. It is not fair because these AOL individuals allow others to swear and talk dirty, while those of us who just want to post

are not allowed to. AOL is very political, and they favor whomever they want by letting them write anything. Those who want to respond have their posts deleted, or are not allowed to post at all. That happened to me four times this morning. If you're having the same problem, cancel AOL. We don't have to take this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have forgotten my old Library Card number. I have 4 other security questions on my email account. I click 'I can't answer this question', and it just says well tough luck. No way to recover my account. Called and told them, I can't get it to ask me my other security questions, I know all of them, but just can't remember my decade old Library card info. I have all the log in info, I know my password, I know all my questions but the most outdated that I should have removed years ago. Have to cancel every account attached to this email because it is unusable. AOL is pretty useless overall these days.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Headlines more often than not are false, distorted, biased and politically inspired. Today headlines says Warren to tax billionaires to increase social security payments. As often the case and correctly reported in the body of the article she would double social security payments of employees and employers for all those making $250000 or more. Aol news is a disgrace and is costing Verizon customers as they own Aol and condone this. Far more people should drop Verizon.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

When will social media learn the value of being un-biased??? I have been on AOL from the beginning back when you used to get their CDs in the mail to use on your dial-up network. Now why they would change their time proven success of remaining un-biased when it comes to politics and religion. Whether your for the right or for the left, you automatically alienate half of your fan base by expressing your opinion. It has been the destruction and downfall of CNN, MSNBC and many of the now labeled Lamestream media...

When I see Hollywood, singers, comedians, etc coming out with usually quite outlandish and usually insulting political statements, it makes me wonder, did they even consider the fan base that put them where there are today? Do they still not realize that the same fans that put them there can also disappear and make you a has-been? I truly hope AOL sees the light and refrains from continuing to take sides in their political reporting, especially when it is the wrong side!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I set up a free 30 day account on my mother's computer for a AOL Desktop Gold. Prior to 30 days I cancelled the account and the AOL icon disappeared from my mother's desktop. For a year I have been disputing the credit card charge of 4.99 that appears monthly. I called AOL and they can not find the account or the charge. There is no supervisor to speak with and no corporate telephone number was given when I requested it. I ended up having to cancel my credit card just to STOP AOL from charging the monthly fee.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I've been trying to forward email from an AOL mail account to a Gmail account for a week. I finally got someone on the line from AOL and it was the billing department. They said I could not speak to technical support unless I paid them a monthly fee! It's clearly an issue on their server as I am not the only one who's been dealing with this issue. They were completely unhelpful, rude and offered downright terrible customer service. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs