1.23/5

1533 AOL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Some Russian hackers made their way into my AOL email account. I discovered this myself (AOL isn't sophisticated enough to advise anything's wrong) and then simply wanted to receive a copy of the access history (which vanishes from the screen once you reset your password). AOL PAID ($4.99/mo) technical support is completely inept and unable to provide the access history. Further, they can provide no timeline for an escalation response. I've waited one week already and am done waiting. Thank goodness they offered a free trial of their paid support because that's what it's worth: ZERO.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been contacting AOL for OVER 1 year (open ticket **). I have continually had every problem you can imagine. Slow email sending, cannot open mail, try again, email crashes. Template issues, etc, etc. Each time I call tech support, I must wait a minimum of 10-15 minutes, go through a lengthy id process, whereas I need a text sent to my phone with a code. THEN, I need to explain my TECH PROBLEM to billing, so they can then transfer me to tech support, who has another wait. If they cannot resolve the problem, they will say, "Are you there? Are you there?" and then they will hang-up, knowing all well they could hear you perfectly. You then have to call again and repeat the same insane process. What happened to wonderful AOL that I had for over 20 years.

The day I was MANDATED TO KEEP to purchase Desktop Gold, was the day I started hating AOL and their new tactics of charging for a SERVICE THEY DO NOT SUPPORT OR PROVIDE. I have contacted AOL customer service over 8 times within this year to request assistance, to involve a supervisor and to respectfully request a satisfactory refund. I am STILL WAITING. I called today, because my business email address has an extensive template I utilize for sending my emails to clients. The state of Texas requires that this template contain specific license info.

This morning I went to send an email and it has been mysteriously deleted from my account. I paid a web designer to install this information. When I called and waited over 31 minutes, I received a tech who was untrained in this area of expertise and pretended she could not hear me and released the call. What a freaking shame! I want to WHY THERE IS NO CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST AOL. I am willing to provide any documentation of my claim and refund request.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Last year, AOL contacted me, through email. I would not have my free AOL anymore. I had to buy AOL Gold. I spoke to someone at AOL, and was told, "That was correct. You had to pay." So, I paid. I called, and told them, "This sucks, why am I paying." They let me have 4 mos free. Then I just gave in, and continued to pay. My immediate friends kept telling me, why am I paying? I said that's the only way I can keep my e-mail. Well, last week I had an issue, with them. The agent said, "Why are you paying? AOL is free..." I have been with them for years. This is FRAUD. I cancelled the gold, and they will give me back $4.15. I want all monies back. How can they do this to people.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We have used AOL since 1998 for email. We originally paid for dialup (remember that?), went to free internet email, and because we couldn't get support went to paying plan again. Today we wanted to change the credit card for payment. Called their support line and get put on hold for 15 min, then it hangs up on us. We call again and after some more waiting get an agent that can't believe we want to give them a credit card to pay so they want some sort of verification to make sure that we aren't just paying for someone else's account and are only going to be paying for ours (yeah, we didn't understand that ourselves).

So we go find the information they want and when we get back they've hung up again. So we finally go into their clunky website and figure out how to do this online - in the process, we decide to scale back on what we're paying, so now only pay about half of what we were for a bunch of stuff we weren't using anyway. One of these days when we have time we'll dump them entirely - at least we won't have to look at their ultra liberal HuffPost propaganda opening page (although it is hilariously funny sometimes - hard to imagine anyone with a brain would believe what they are spouting).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have had FREE AOL my whole life with no problems. This new AOL GOLD is not FREE... you have to pay for it if you want to keep all your favorites and saved emails. Verizon bought AOL and there is nothing but problems reading/sending emails. You go to click on articles to post on Facebook... more problems. What happens is once you click to open, you get the "spinning blue circle of death". Nothing opens up immediately and you can wait minutes. Just ridiculous and to think I have to pay for this! Google and read all the complaints with AOL GOLD. Isn't there a government agency who can step in and make them fix this paid program? We are all being ripped off and held hostage. If I had a way of transferring all my favorites and folders to say GOOGLE... I would do it in a minute and QUIT AOL. To anyone thinking about getting AOL... RUN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Called to try and get some of the money back which is around 7 thousand and I get a letter from Jeffery ** stating it wasn't their fault but will deposit 104 dollars back in my acct as a gesture of goodwill. I have filed affidavits and sent them all bank info and we had to close that bank acct and open new 1 after 31 years. So how do you get in touch with them to discuss this. I'm at point now where if I gotta get a lawyer and it cost me more than they stole I'm ready to do so. This big cooperation stealing (and that's exactly what they have did) the money we actually worked for is disgusting. Then their so called gesture of goodwill sent to an acct that's not open anymore because of them. This Jeffery ** guy won't answer me anymore so I'm at a lost.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

For many years I used an AOL spam filter that would only let emails from designated addresses into my inbox. All others emails went into the AOL spam file. This filter was removed without notification.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

AOL Search keeps popping up; I can't get rid of it!!! Tell AOL to fix the problem. I want to read my e-mails. Since I am paying for AOL Gold, it should work properly. If it isn't fixed soon, I will not pay for it. Make AOL Search stop opening!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I'm extremely mad at AOL. They just sent me a survey to fill out and they won't let me submit my comments and username I need to recover. When I attempted to recover it displays the official AOL customer service phone number to call which the lady was very rude to me and asked for lots of personal info including my social security number. ** You AOL. I hope your headquarters burns down!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I had used AOL for over thirty years as my main email client. I blocked everyone but friends and family, as I used another client for ordering, paying bills, etc. After AOL was purchased by Verizon/Yahoo it was ruined. My settings were changed and there were fewer choices for blocking unwanted things. After all those years I started getting spam. It was like pulling teeth to close the account, and it can't be done through AOL... It must be done through Yahoo! (Mine was a free account.)

I had to go here: **. (It will say you're terminating a Yahoo account. **As long as you use the aol.com URL above, only your AOL account will be deleted, NOT any Yahoo account that you might have!**) I followed the instructions and FINALLY closed the account. I am so glad that's done. From what I have learned, your emails are mined for advertising purposes, hence the privacy policy/settings changes. Bye bye, AOL. Glad to see you gone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My email was apparently hacked, after my iPad began to tell me that my IMAP, AOL username and password were incorrect. I went to reset the password and someone had changed the phone number. They were unable to do security checks, and told me "THIS IS A DEAD CASE, THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!" CLICK!!! Supervisors told me different stories, gave me different case numbers and no resolutions!!! They would not edit the account, and basically treated me like trash. I did the correct thing, called them and informed them of suspicious activity.

I still don't have access and need access to the account. It's an older account, so creating a new account isn't going to help. I will not have my address book. I will have NOTHING!! After reading the reviews on AOL Mail on Facebook, there are millions of people having this problem!!! EXACT PROBLEM!!! We are being told security settings... Very disappointed!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

AOL spam control is a failure. When I complain, the number of spam and marketing emails declines, then gradually returns to over 50 per day. I have strict controls that do not work. Outside of blocking all my emails, AOL's system is antiquated. I see AOL as a marketing agent for inferior companies.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Service goes down often. Features that were on the old AOL are now gone. Delete search history at sign off will not work. Can no longer pick icons for favorite places. Stored appointments on AOL calendar have disappear. These are just a few problems that we are now paying for that were not present on the old AOL.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was having issues with my AOL account on my iPhone. I called Apple and was conferenced to AOL. We were first informed the issue was indeed coming from AOL's end. I was then told that in order to correct this issue, I would have to become a premium member and pay a monthly fee. I had my AOL account for over 15 years. I refuse to pay for a error on part of AOL. I deleted my account and create an account with a reliable site. SHAME ON AOL FOR TREATING A LOYAL CUSTOMER LIKE THIS!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Ever since Verizon transferred all emails accounts to AOL, I have had unreliable email service. I tried everything. Finally, I called AOL tech support on August 2, 2018. Their tech support is based in both the Philippines and India, not in the U.S. The first problem was understanding the tech on the far end and making her understand my problem. She insisted she could not talk to me until I subscribed to AOL's monthly fee technical support service, which I did. She said my computer had a lot of problems and she needed to take control of it. I reluctantly agreed. Then she said I needed to subscribe to System Mechanic, for another monthly fee, so she could analyze the computer. Again, I reluctantly agreed, being desperate to get my email to work reliably.

She downloaded, installed, and ran System Mechanic. It claimed more than 587,000 errors on my computer. I told her to not do anything until I had a chance to look at some of the claimed errors but she went ahead and clicked Repair All. She said she had sent me an email requesting a survey, asked me to give her a good review, and hung up. When I went to my email, nothing worked. In fact, everything on my computer, with the exception of part of Windows 10, had been deleted. Multiple calls back to tech support in both the Philippines and India and four hours later, AOL said they could not help and to take it to a local technician to see if they could recover the data. However, AOL would not reimburse me for any costs. They were totally unconcerned and uncaring.

The bottom line is that AOL is dangerous, incompetent, and uncaring. They refused to provide any contact information so I could send my concerns and plea for help up the chain of command. System Mechanic is a guaranteed disaster and should not be used under any circumstances, regardless of the reviews you read elsewhere. I am having to rebuild my computer from backups and hope I didn't miss anything critical since my last backup. Finally, my email still works only sporadically, thanks to AOL.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have used AOL for approx 18yrs started off paying them around 23.95 per month. Years later it became free. AOL then started offering paid services which I did not require or want. About 5/6 yrs ago I was not able to log on. I called them and was told it was a virus though no other internet services were affected. AOL told me I needed to pay for their "protection services". I was forced to pay them. Within seconds of giving them my credit card my email account was magically restored. However I now had 100s of unsolicited offers. I cancelled that "protection service" when I volunteered to go to the Israeli/Syrian border to help with Syrian refugees as I had no idea how long I would not be off my computer. I was current with my payments as they charged me upfront. When I returned "no AOL MAIL" and found a bill for services. I called them and they agreed I had cancelled.

AOL TURNED ON MY MAIL. Monday same thing no AOL. I called them and spoke to someone in India who said I need you to answer a few questions. I responded then he demanded my credit card number. I told him my card number had changed in 5 yrs due to lost wallet. He insisted I go to the bank and get that card number I used 5 yrs ago. I told him as I owed them nothing I would not oblige. I asked for a supervisor. Waiting on the phone for 18 minutes a woman came on line. She made it very difficult speaking in a very low voice. I repeatedly asked her to speak up but she refused only to hear she wanted a credit card.

AOL TRIED TO EXTORT MONEY. THEY HOLD YOUR EMAIL SERVICE HOSTAGE. As a 77yr old ex military whose health is not great I used the mail service to communicate with Drs medical providers CVS for meds and family. I have been through this gangster type theft with AOL before and paid them. They do this to generate revenue. You don’t have to go far. Check online. There are many others that AOL uses. AOL stops recognizing/accepting your password forcing you to call them then they demand a credit card. This is EXTORTION and they need to pay for this.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Read this and if you are looking for an email service DON'T TOUCH AOL. THIS IS LOGIC??? "We apologize that the feature for enabling our users to cancel their user name and email address is currently unavailable. ​We are working diligently to have this feature functioning by July 2018. For more information, visit help.aol.com and search on the word "cancel"." You will end trying to cancel your account unsuccessfully. Thanks.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have been using AOL for 20 years - nonstop. The few problems I have encountered have never been with email. The AOL Gold had quite a few bugs but they have been working hard to fix them. Everyone seems to want something for nothing. If you want their help with issues you are having then pay them. It's really that simple. AOL is free. I remember the months (many years ago) when my monthly bill was always over $350. No more complaining from me now that it is free! I will never use another email service. Thanks AOL.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I had a problem getting my Verizon mail from AOL on my Mac. I spent 1 ½ hours on the phone with Apple Care and their final determination was for me to call AOL to see if there was a problem with my account and see if I was setting it up right. I called AOL only to find out that in order to get to Tech Support on the phone I had to pay for their service. I could register for their 30 day free trial but I had to give them my credit card information. With all the hacking happening right now, I don't want to put my card info out there just to create more of a possibility of getting it taken.

I was forced to move my mail to AOL from Verizon when they did away with the email service. I don't have problems with the day to day service but when you have a problem, expect to figure it out yourself, email tech support and wait 24 - 48 hours for a response or pay for one of their premium membership plans to talk to someone. They didn't care and wouldn't offer anything other than me sign up for their premium service for their 30 day free trial but I had to give them a credit card info.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Perhaps because of advent of Oath, AOL platform is now unstable and unusable. Oath does not stabilize and AOL is now unusable for me. I have two other emails and wish that there would be a way to redirect those using my AOL address away from AOL and to my Gmail account, which has no problems.

Original review: July 6, 2018

If I could give zero star I would. I been with AOL since dial-up, about 20 years. Never have one problem with any of my accounts. Not until Verizon and Yahoo took over. Now every day I get lock out of my account. I have to call just so they can unlock it. Right away they talk you into signing up for all of their protection, support, PC tune-up, and AOL's Computer Checkup. Is this their way to suck you into paying tons of money for your email accounts? It is so time consuming and on top of that any e-mails sent that day is lost. Verizon needs to fix their problems. Need to go to Gmail!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had some old email accounts with AOL. I had folders with saved photos etc. When I checked into the accounts all of my content had been deleted and I was not allowed to recover the email addresses either. I had them all linked to my current AOL email address and they never notified me that they were about to delete ALL of MY content. If they had told me I would have recovered the files. If I had known I had to check in within a certain amount of time I would have done so.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My email was transferred to AOL due to Verizon email dissolving. All was fine, I checked my email on a Friday, then Monday went to log in only to receive a message that my account has been deactivated due to inactivity. That is false because I wouldn't call 2 days inactive. I called Customer Service who offered to reactivate my account if I signed up for monthly tech support. No Thanks. I went from 20 years of Verizon email to AOL who is forcing subscribers to pay for services. I'll do without and create a Gmail account.

Resolution response: June 19, 2018

It took a long time to find out how to contact AOL. They offered me a tech package free for a month. Turned out to be my computer's security was changed by my anti-virus and windows update somewhere down the line. I confirmed it with Mircosoft it wasn't AOL causing the problem. I have to work on my security setting until I get it right again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Since Verizon transferred e-mail service to AOL, I've been having more Outlook e-mail problems. While I was on Verizon's e-mail servers which was almost 20 years I had about 4 to 6 times problems. Now since AOL took over the e-mail servers I have had counting this time 4 e-mail sending problems from Microsoft Outlook. That's in the few recent years I was forced to go to AOL I've had almost the same amount of e-mail problems as I previously had over 20 years. AOL is also difficult to contact. You have to do some searching before you find the correct help line number.

Original review: May 17, 2018

AOL is the worst email service ever! Verizon sold out its customers and I hope they are happy because I, for one, hate both AOL and Verizon right now. Emails stop coming in on an almost daily basis. You get the clip saying there’s an email and it pings but when you click on the AOL mail there are no emails to be found or read. AOL’s response to any problem is that they are secured. Good for them and us but I WANT TO RECEIVE AND READ MY EMAILS!!! AGAIN VERIZON THANKS FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS. But we should be used to it by now. You're all about profits.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I have been with AOL since I started with the Internet and I have resisted going with free service because I like the support and resources. I recently called and spoke to a Customer Service Rep about redundancy of extras and she was able to help me build a package of services customized to me at a lower and regular cost. I was very pleased and happy.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been paying a monthly subscription without my knowledge. I called in regards of and they just give a negative attitude. I been with AOL for more than 19 years. I didn't have knowledge that they were charging my account $26.99 monthly without my authorization. I asked why, they only said, "You should it call before." So disappointed.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Bad service and very little help. Purchased AOL gold. Paid but computer worked better before, Then purchased another fix it program from AOL to fix computer, still no better. One more 4.99 purchase and now lost AOL and my favorites and computer been trying to update for two days. Cannot get AOL GOLD period.

Original review: April 18, 2018

For right now I am not having AOL issues, except that 80% of my incoming mail goes right to the 'spam' folder where I always go to look for incoming mail. In looking through my planner in past 2 months I came up with 4 instances of 'issues'. The dates are: 1) too far back to find, didn't make an entry. 2) 3/25/18 AOL's Jason in CS. 3) 3/29/18 AOL's unknown woman CS. 4) 4/4/18 AOL's Brian CS.

The issue for these contracts were all for the AOL GOLD install, costing me $4.99 a month. After being logged off and trying to get back online the system seems to sign on and I get the "Welcome" from AOL, BUT all I get is a white screen. I go to 'Favorites' and while I can see the list I can't actually open any of them. I can go to another of the 7 AOL screen names and sign on there, only to get that white screen and 'Welcome" all over again.

So at this point I call AOL CS at 800 827 6364, press 5 for Tech Support and talk to an agent in the Philippines who walks you through their taking over your computer via tech.aol.com and reinstalls the GOLD program. I now have in my Programs section the link 'instal_AOL_Desktop' so when this happens again, and it has, I just go there and click on it and I don't need to call the Philippines, it fixes itself.

I have found that one way AOL is making $ is when your issue is finished with the CS rep they try to talk you into subscribing to this or that 30 day free trial for some nonsense that will be of some help for something. Obviously you will be signing up for the service, just getting the first 30 days free and probably most folks forget to go back and cancel the program. I also seem to recall reading on some site that to cancel is hard to do.

I see from various complaint sites that AOL these days is mostly comprised of older people (like me) who have used the system for years and don't want to go to the bother to learn a new system. People have been leaving for years as AOL has gotten worse. I have a friend in Wisconsin (I am in Atlanta) who has had AOL for a long time, there is no GOLD there, she pays zip for AOL, never heard of this GOLD nonsense. Maybe they put it out on a regional test basis, I wish they tested it elsewhere as it is very poor so far.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Said they would cancel account but they never did. Email is all junk mail. They let spammers and scammers rule their servers. The service is a total junk and should be totally shut down. Now I am not able to delete the username and email due to technical difficulties. Also, someone hacked my account and they didn't seem to care at all.

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs