3.06/5
Based on 1,145 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

AOL

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

AOL Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

When I met my husband we used chat rooms, not apps. I think in today's current world I would be a little more hesitant to advertise my personal information since so many people can easily fake their profiles. However, with people becoming more elusive in person, dating apps may necessary evil.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have forgotten my old Library Card number. I have 4 other security questions on my email account. I click 'I can't answer this question', and it just says well tough luck. No way to recover my account. Called and told them, I can't get it to ask me my other security questions, I know all of them, but just can't remember my decade old Library card info. I have all the log in info, I know my password, I know all my questions but the most outdated that I should have removed years ago. Have to cancel every account attached to this email because it is unusable. AOL is pretty useless overall these days.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Headlines more often than not are false, distorted, biased and politically inspired. Today headlines says Warren to tax billionaires to increase social security payments. As often the case and correctly reported in the body of the article she would double social security payments of employees and employers for all those making $250000 or more. Aol news is a disgrace and is costing Verizon customers as they own Aol and condone this. Far more people should drop Verizon.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

When will social media learn the value of being un-biased??? I have been on AOL from the beginning back when you used to get their CDs in the mail to use on your dial-up network. Now why they would change their time proven success of remaining un-biased when it comes to politics and religion. Whether your for the right or for the left, you automatically alienate half of your fan base by expressing your opinion. It has been the destruction and downfall of CNN, MSNBC and many of the now labeled Lamestream media...

When I see Hollywood, singers, comedians, etc coming out with usually quite outlandish and usually insulting political statements, it makes me wonder, did they even consider the fan base that put them where there are today? Do they still not realize that the same fans that put them there can also disappear and make you a has-been? I truly hope AOL sees the light and refrains from continuing to take sides in their political reporting, especially when it is the wrong side!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I set up a free 30 day account on my mother's computer for a AOL Desktop Gold. Prior to 30 days I cancelled the account and the AOL icon disappeared from my mother's desktop. For a year I have been disputing the credit card charge of 4.99 that appears monthly. I called AOL and they can not find the account or the charge. There is no supervisor to speak with and no corporate telephone number was given when I requested it. I ended up having to cancel my credit card just to STOP AOL from charging the monthly fee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I've been trying to forward email from an AOL mail account to a Gmail account for a week. I finally got someone on the line from AOL and it was the billing department. They said I could not speak to technical support unless I paid them a monthly fee! It's clearly an issue on their server as I am not the only one who's been dealing with this issue. They were completely unhelpful, rude and offered downright terrible customer service. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I need a help with how to install AOL Desktop Gold, as I want help from the official team of the software, but their calls are so much busy so I decided to contact a third-party website and took help from http://www.aolhelp247.com/install-aol-desktop-gold/ by calling on +1 (866) 257-5356. As they provide me all the proper solutions and tips on chats as well as on-call.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have been with AOL since 2003. Annual automatic billing. I use it for email, Lifelock, and tech support (last used 2 years ago). Within the last year my credit card number changed. I got an email saying I needed to renew my subscription- couldn't auto bill. I got to thinking about all the services I do not use and decided $257/ year was too much. There are 20 services (AARP, Sprint discounts, Verizon discounts, Hotel discounts) that I am paying for and do not use. I called to see if I could get a cheaper plan. The second and third customer support people told me I owed them for a year- they bill in arrears- my bill was for the last year used and not the upcoming year. I know that to not be the case. I cannot believe they would lie and steal like that. TOTALLY AMAZED. I ended up getting my same plan for $167/ year. But I had no idea that AOL used very unreputable people. May go to the State Attorney General. Very disgusted with the company.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had just contacted customer support in regards to an account recovery I was trying to have. Admittedly and stupidly, I had interconnected two of my accounts to recover one or the other. I know the password for one but not the other. I had made it clear to Mr. Dennis that all I really need is access to my account after providing legal information and even confirmed my recovery email name.

Apparently, by Dennis’ words, “There we no way anyone in this company can recover your account if you cannot access your recovery email.” I have not been on AOL for over one to two years, to have the option to recover an account through the support line and then you can’t even work on doing just that. What access does AOL really offer to their employees for the “service” that is supposedly provided to the customers. Not worth coming back to I guess.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been getting a lot of spam. I think AOL is a part of the scam in order to sell more products and services, i.e. McAffee recently downloaded to desktop with the last software update. AOL is probably the only email provider still charging for services. With that said, I expect better protections without the extra cost. I think AOL practices need to be investigated by the regulators.

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs