Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.65/5

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

AOL Reviews

Original review: April 18, 2020

Every time I post a comment on any AOL news in the matter of seconds they delete it. I have contacted AOL several times and even posted my complaint and their monitors continue to delete any/all of my comments. Seems they don't like my comments on Trump and other Republicans! If I post where a person can find a copy of the U.S. Constitution, or where a person can find an actual video of Trump stating his lies, etc... AOL will delete it. I've been a paid member of AOL for 25 years.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Trying to post comments on AOL news articles. Today 3/3/2020 It seems I have been BLOCKED from posting comments. I have had this account for YEARS and today is the FIRST time I have had issues. It indicated I had to sign in, which I did and still could NOT post. HAVE CHANGES BEEN MADE TODAY or WHAT IS GOING ON?

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I have had AOL for over 15 years. I do not want it any longer and have tried numerous times over the last year to cancel the account. I have gotten the run around and told I had to cancel sub accounts, which I did. Two accounts still show up but when you try to log in to them they do not exist. It feels as if you are being held prisoner to AOL. Do not pay for the services. They continue to raise the cost and do nothing to assist you when needed. Nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Frontier took over Verizon Services here in 2016 with AOL as their Email Server. I had issues with my Outlook Email. Was finally able to get Tech Support who set me up a new Outlook Email account. In doing so wiped out ALL my previous Emails. Was informed to contact AOL to recover these, no phone number. Just Email capable. They HEE HAWED around telling me after the 7th day that they can no longer recover Emails after the 7th day. The absolute WORST Email provider services anyone could dream of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I'm not sure how long I have had AOL, maybe ten years or more. I had it when it was a dial up over a landline phone connection. More recently they introduced AOL GOLD and at least in our area (Ga) you had to sign up for that at $4.99 a month. So I signed up, I stay with it as I am familiar with it and learning a new setup at my age is not what I want to do. I have had to have it restored 6 times. I use their provided phone number and talk to their tech people in India. They are pretty sharp and have so far gotten it restored. For some odd reason I find that I now do not have just the 7 email addresses you get with AOL but I have 18! 11 of my old addresses are now back and working. These are addresses I did have in past years and deleted them in favor of newer ones I wanted. No idea why they have suddenly appeared.

When talking to the tech folks in India they ask if you want to get 'free' this or that add on. One time I made the mistake of saying YES. I learned the hard way that it was only free the first month and would be 4.99 a month after that. So when they go into their spiel about this or that nice add on that is free just butt in and tell them you are not interested. I'm sure they have their instructions to upsell these add-ons so they will drone on at length about this. Just say NO right off the bat and don't fall for this free crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

AOL published an article about a tourist dying in an auto accident in Belize, but displayed a picture of a Carnival cruise ship. One has nothing to do with another, but it is a blatant act of sensationalism. Since the cause of the accidental death was a tire blowing out and causing a wreck, they could have published a story about the tire manufacturer who made the tire. Publishing a picture of the cruise ship implies that the Cruise Line had something to do with the death. FOUL, FOUL, FOUL.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Don't even think of using this service. News story's are terrible. Mail service is constantly broken and doesn't work and it is so full of commercials each and every step to do anything. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I've had AOL for years. One day I get kicked out. Can't sign in. So I try to reset my password. Doesn't work so I find a phone number. Then they tell you that you need to pay to talk to customer service!!! I will no longer use aol. Recommend you don't either! #NATIONWIDEBOYCOTT

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have tried for over two years to close out a compromised account and no success! I have emailed AOL, called aol and no go. What can be done? My info is on the dark web because of this. I'm sorry I ever signed up for free aol account.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

They make you pay money to get technical support and then they do not deliver on promised email recovery. 3 requests, 8 phone calls, 0 results. I have been with AOL since 1988 and I will now look for a provider that is more secure and better customer service. MOVE YOUR EMAIL AWAY FROM AOL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. They also have liberal leaning news feeds, the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Microsoft or Google is a much better option. Make sure you backup your emails in outlook or something. I cancelled my subscription. I don't believe the customer service is even in America. American Online?

AOL author review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team