3.9/5 (579 ratings)

About AOL

AOL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

As soon as I figure out how to do without the AOL email that I have had for 30 years I will be relieved to be rid of their consistently biased and false news articles that I have to see before getting to my mail. Sheesh! Unbelievable crap.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

They are pure thieves. AOL out source the customer service and tech support to their people. When you call for help they want to charge you for what you for what is free and puts your credit card on file so they can rip you off and use your credit card and information. If you don't allow them they find ways to mess up your account and forward your emails to themselves so they have access to your information. They are the biggest thieves. The one I spoke with this evening was so nasty and crooked. After he changed my password, he refused to tell me what was my new password. He hung up after he changed my password so he can access my email.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

A week ago I started receiving over 50 new spams a day through AOL, and today AOL offers to sell me a spam filter product! What a fraudulent way of marketing! No wonder AOL just sold for half of what it was worth 5 years ago.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I have not had any problem in over 25 years with the internet service provided by AOL. What else can I say? I am very, very, very, very satisfied with AOL internet.

Original review: July 17, 2021

The news stories are getting more and more biased. More opinion than news. AOL seems to block people with different opinions. I am a paying customer and do not think they take that into consideration when denying certain components of their service. Once your comment is rejected, it appears they continually reject them, no matter the content. Not sure that I like my freedom of speech denied and will look for another service.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Every since over a year ago my account is ways has been blocked by AOL and they claim they can not see the issue. Then I see someone has been in the account and then my account and the problem is still an issue. I have gone to the site and wrote my issues and nothing is being done or even an email that they are or will be looking into! So I paid for service and now after paying for the case to be taken care hear every reason why they can not do anything and the site I have to leave comments at (Which have left 6 remarks in the past) and nothing is being done. So all AOL is wanting money for their service and take the DO NOTHING IN RETURN FOR PAYING CUSTOMER.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Recently had to open an email account with another provider. I've been with AOL forever but cannot handle their lying news articles. I've reached out to AOL with no luck and have even tried to respond to the articles themselves with zero success. I will not tolerate misinformation and happily leaving this platform. Good luck to AOL getting the younger crowd in that believe their lies.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Recently I have noticed a shift in how AOL operates their comment threads. I know others face this same issue and it is truly disgusting that they get away with doing this to people. I don't know how they target certain people, but they have targeted me and now it doesn't matter what I post. They reject it. I never thought I would ever have my voice silenced and shut down in this manner and for no good reason. They have community guidelines that they go by when choosing what to reject and my comments have never gone against them. I used to not have any problem posting and now my comments will show up at first, but literally seconds later they are flat out rejected.

They give you a certain number of chances and if your posts are rejected too many times you are flat out banned from commenting in that article all together. I have contacted AOL directly about this, I have made complaints with the BBB and the FTC and it appears that censorship is growing amongst the AOL community. The worst part is that I see so many posts dropping with nastiness and childish name calling and those people are able to continue posting. I post something that has no nasty names, no personal attacks and nothing going against the guidelines and I am immediately rejected. I just don't understand why this is happening. They don't offer any real reason other than to have you read the guidelines, which tell me nothing because my posts don't violate them.

I realize that AOL can choose to reject comments on a while, but when they have guidelines and are rejecting posts that don't violate those guidelines, it becomes baseless discrimination and that is not okay. There has to be somewhere that people can go to make legitimate complaints where their voices will actually be heard and something will be done. Otherwise they will continue to shut other voices down for absolutely no other reason than they just feel like it. If you value your voice and your right to speak freely, avoid AOL at all costs. You may eventually have your voice taken away for no reason and unfortunately you have no place to turn to to hold them accountable for their biased discrimination.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Every time I post a comment on any AOL news in the matter of seconds they delete it. I have contacted AOL several times and even posted my complaint and their monitors continue to delete any/all of my comments. Seems they don't like my comments on Trump and other Republicans! If I post where a person can find a copy of the U.S. Constitution, or where a person can find an actual video of Trump stating his lies, etc... AOL will delete it. I've been a paid member of AOL for 25 years.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Trying to post comments on AOL news articles. Today 3/3/2020 It seems I have been BLOCKED from posting comments. I have had this account for YEARS and today is the FIRST time I have had issues. It indicated I had to sign in, which I did and still could NOT post. HAVE CHANGES BEEN MADE TODAY or WHAT IS GOING ON?

AOL author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

AOL Company Information