1.29/5
Based on 74 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1522 AOL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

AOL spam control is a failure. When I complain, the number of spam and marketing emails declines, then gradually returns to over 50 per day. I have strict controls that do not work. Outside of blocking all my emails, AOL's system is antiquated. I see AOL as a marketing agent for inferior companies.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Service goes down often. Features that were on the old AOL are now gone. Delete search history at sign off will not work. Can no longer pick icons for favorite places. Stored appointments on AOL calendar have disappear. These are just a few problems that we are now paying for that were not present on the old AOL.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was having issues with my AOL account on my iPhone. I called Apple and was conferenced to AOL. We were first informed the issue was indeed coming from AOL's end. I was then told that in order to correct this issue, I would have to become a premium member and pay a monthly fee. I had my AOL account for over 15 years. I refuse to pay for a error on part of AOL. I deleted my account and create an account with a reliable site. SHAME ON AOL FOR TREATING A LOYAL CUSTOMER LIKE THIS!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Ever since Verizon transferred all emails accounts to AOL, I have had unreliable email service. I tried everything. Finally, I called AOL tech support on August 2, 2018. Their tech support is based in both the Philippines and India, not in the U.S. The first problem was understanding the tech on the far end and making her understand my problem. She insisted she could not talk to me until I subscribed to AOL's monthly fee technical support service, which I did. She said my computer had a lot of problems and she needed to take control of it. I reluctantly agreed. Then she said I needed to subscribe to System Mechanic, for another monthly fee, so she could analyze the computer. Again, I reluctantly agreed, being desperate to get my email to work reliably.

She downloaded, installed, and ran System Mechanic. It claimed more than 587,000 errors on my computer. I told her to not do anything until I had a chance to look at some of the claimed errors but she went ahead and clicked Repair All. She said she had sent me an email requesting a survey, asked me to give her a good review, and hung up. When I went to my email, nothing worked. In fact, everything on my computer, with the exception of part of Windows 10, had been deleted. Multiple calls back to tech support in both the Philippines and India and four hours later, AOL said they could not help and to take it to a local technician to see if they could recover the data. However, AOL would not reimburse me for any costs. They were totally unconcerned and uncaring.

The bottom line is that AOL is dangerous, incompetent, and uncaring. They refused to provide any contact information so I could send my concerns and plea for help up the chain of command. System Mechanic is a guaranteed disaster and should not be used under any circumstances, regardless of the reviews you read elsewhere. I am having to rebuild my computer from backups and hope I didn't miss anything critical since my last backup. Finally, my email still works only sporadically, thanks to AOL.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have used AOL for approx 18yrs started off paying them around 23.95 per month. Years later it became free. AOL then started offering paid services which I did not require or want. About 5/6 yrs ago I was not able to log on. I called them and was told it was a virus though no other internet services were affected. AOL told me I needed to pay for their "protection services". I was forced to pay them. Within seconds of giving them my credit card my email account was magically restored. However I now had 100s of unsolicited offers. I cancelled that "protection service" when I volunteered to go to the Israeli/Syrian border to help with Syrian refugees as I had no idea how long I would not be off my computer. I was current with my payments as they charged me upfront. When I returned "no AOL MAIL" and found a bill for services. I called them and they agreed I had cancelled.

AOL TURNED ON MY MAIL. Monday same thing no AOL. I called them and spoke to someone in India who said I need you to answer a few questions. I responded then he demanded my credit card number. I told him my card number had changed in 5 yrs due to lost wallet. He insisted I go to the bank and get that card number I used 5 yrs ago. I told him as I owed them nothing I would not oblige. I asked for a supervisor. Waiting on the phone for 18 minutes a woman came on line. She made it very difficult speaking in a very low voice. I repeatedly asked her to speak up but she refused only to hear she wanted a credit card.

AOL TRIED TO EXTORT MONEY. THEY HOLD YOUR EMAIL SERVICE HOSTAGE. As a 77yr old ex military whose health is not great I used the mail service to communicate with Drs medical providers CVS for meds and family. I have been through this gangster type theft with AOL before and paid them. They do this to generate revenue. You don’t have to go far. Check online. There are many others that AOL uses. AOL stops recognizing/accepting your password forcing you to call them then they demand a credit card. This is EXTORTION and they need to pay for this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: July 27, 2018

Read this and if you are looking for an email service DON'T TOUCH AOL. THIS IS LOGIC??? "We apologize that the feature for enabling our users to cancel their user name and email address is currently unavailable. ​We are working diligently to have this feature functioning by July 2018. For more information, visit help.aol.com and search on the word "cancel"." You will end trying to cancel your account unsuccessfully. Thanks.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have been using AOL for 20 years - nonstop. The few problems I have encountered have never been with email. The AOL Gold had quite a few bugs but they have been working hard to fix them. Everyone seems to want something for nothing. If you want their help with issues you are having then pay them. It's really that simple. AOL is free. I remember the months (many years ago) when my monthly bill was always over $350. No more complaining from me now that it is free! I will never use another email service. Thanks AOL.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I had a problem getting my Verizon mail from AOL on my Mac. I spent 1 ½ hours on the phone with Apple Care and their final determination was for me to call AOL to see if there was a problem with my account and see if I was setting it up right. I called AOL only to find out that in order to get to Tech Support on the phone I had to pay for their service. I could register for their 30 day free trial but I had to give them my credit card information. With all the hacking happening right now, I don't want to put my card info out there just to create more of a possibility of getting it taken.

I was forced to move my mail to AOL from Verizon when they did away with the email service. I don't have problems with the day to day service but when you have a problem, expect to figure it out yourself, email tech support and wait 24 - 48 hours for a response or pay for one of their premium membership plans to talk to someone. They didn't care and wouldn't offer anything other than me sign up for their premium service for their 30 day free trial but I had to give them a credit card info.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Perhaps because of advent of Oath, AOL platform is now unstable and unusable. Oath does not stabilize and AOL is now unusable for me. I have two other emails and wish that there would be a way to redirect those using my AOL address away from AOL and to my Gmail account, which has no problems.

Original review: July 6, 2018

If I could give zero star I would. I been with AOL since dial-up, about 20 years. Never have one problem with any of my accounts. Not until Verizon and Yahoo took over. Now every day I get lock out of my account. I have to call just so they can unlock it. Right away they talk you into signing up for all of their protection, support, PC tune-up, and AOL's Computer Checkup. Is this their way to suck you into paying tons of money for your email accounts? It is so time consuming and on top of that any e-mails sent that day is lost. Verizon needs to fix their problems. Need to go to Gmail!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had some old email accounts with AOL. I had folders with saved photos etc. When I checked into the accounts all of my content had been deleted and I was not allowed to recover the email addresses either. I had them all linked to my current AOL email address and they never notified me that they were about to delete ALL of MY content. If they had told me I would have recovered the files. If I had known I had to check in within a certain amount of time I would have done so.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My email was transferred to AOL due to Verizon email dissolving. All was fine, I checked my email on a Friday, then Monday went to log in only to receive a message that my account has been deactivated due to inactivity. That is false because I wouldn't call 2 days inactive. I called Customer Service who offered to reactivate my account if I signed up for monthly tech support. No Thanks. I went from 20 years of Verizon email to AOL who is forcing subscribers to pay for services. I'll do without and create a Gmail account.

Resolution response: June 19, 2018

It took a long time to find out how to contact AOL. They offered me a tech package free for a month. Turned out to be my computer's security was changed by my anti-virus and windows update somewhere down the line. I confirmed it with Mircosoft it wasn't AOL causing the problem. I have to work on my security setting until I get it right again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Since Verizon transferred e-mail service to AOL, I've been having more Outlook e-mail problems. While I was on Verizon's e-mail servers which was almost 20 years I had about 4 to 6 times problems. Now since AOL took over the e-mail servers I have had counting this time 4 e-mail sending problems from Microsoft Outlook. That's in the few recent years I was forced to go to AOL I've had almost the same amount of e-mail problems as I previously had over 20 years. AOL is also difficult to contact. You have to do some searching before you find the correct help line number.

Original review: May 17, 2018

AOL is the worst email service ever! Verizon sold out its customers and I hope they are happy because I, for one, hate both AOL and Verizon right now. Emails stop coming in on an almost daily basis. You get the clip saying there’s an email and it pings but when you click on the AOL mail there are no emails to be found or read. AOL’s response to any problem is that they are secured. Good for them and us but I WANT TO RECEIVE AND READ MY EMAILS!!! AGAIN VERIZON THANKS FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS. But we should be used to it by now. You're all about profits.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I have been with AOL since I started with the Internet and I have resisted going with free service because I like the support and resources. I recently called and spoke to a Customer Service Rep about redundancy of extras and she was able to help me build a package of services customized to me at a lower and regular cost. I was very pleased and happy.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been paying a monthly subscription without my knowledge. I called in regards of and they just give a negative attitude. I been with AOL for more than 19 years. I didn't have knowledge that they were charging my account $26.99 monthly without my authorization. I asked why, they only said, "You should it call before." So disappointed.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Bad service and very little help. Purchased AOL gold. Paid but computer worked better before, Then purchased another fix it program from AOL to fix computer, still no better. One more 4.99 purchase and now lost AOL and my favorites and computer been trying to update for two days. Cannot get AOL GOLD period.

Original review: April 18, 2018

For right now I am not having AOL issues, except that 80% of my incoming mail goes right to the 'spam' folder where I always go to look for incoming mail. In looking through my planner in past 2 months I came up with 4 instances of 'issues'. The dates are: 1) too far back to find, didn't make an entry. 2) 3/25/18 AOL's Jason in CS. 3) 3/29/18 AOL's unknown woman CS. 4) 4/4/18 AOL's Brian CS.

The issue for these contracts were all for the AOL GOLD install, costing me $4.99 a month. After being logged off and trying to get back online the system seems to sign on and I get the "Welcome" from AOL, BUT all I get is a white screen. I go to 'Favorites' and while I can see the list I can't actually open any of them. I can go to another of the 7 AOL screen names and sign on there, only to get that white screen and 'Welcome" all over again.

So at this point I call AOL CS at 800 827 6364, press 5 for Tech Support and talk to an agent in the Philippines who walks you through their taking over your computer via tech.aol.com and reinstalls the GOLD program. I now have in my Programs section the link 'instal_AOL_Desktop' so when this happens again, and it has, I just go there and click on it and I don't need to call the Philippines, it fixes itself.

I have found that one way AOL is making $ is when your issue is finished with the CS rep they try to talk you into subscribing to this or that 30 day free trial for some nonsense that will be of some help for something. Obviously you will be signing up for the service, just getting the first 30 days free and probably most folks forget to go back and cancel the program. I also seem to recall reading on some site that to cancel is hard to do.

I see from various complaint sites that AOL these days is mostly comprised of older people (like me) who have used the system for years and don't want to go to the bother to learn a new system. People have been leaving for years as AOL has gotten worse. I have a friend in Wisconsin (I am in Atlanta) who has had AOL for a long time, there is no GOLD there, she pays zip for AOL, never heard of this GOLD nonsense. Maybe they put it out on a regional test basis, I wish they tested it elsewhere as it is very poor so far.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Said they would cancel account but they never did. Email is all junk mail. They let spammers and scammers rule their servers. The service is a total junk and should be totally shut down. Now I am not able to delete the username and email due to technical difficulties. Also, someone hacked my account and they didn't seem to care at all.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Had AOL SINCE 1990s with little problems until they changed to AOL GOLD. I had nothing but problems. I had to buy my wife a new computer because they said it was too old for AOL GOLD, so I went ahead and spend $1300.00 for a new one. Put AOL GOLD on it and 3 weeks later it crashed. My computer man said it was because of AOL GOLD. Three weeks later it crashed again and this time it cost me $100.00. I got rid of AOL. Something is wrong with AOL GOLD.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I've taken notice especially the beginning of 2018 my searches on AOL like Stores or Products somehow stream on my Facebook account. It seems a bit strange and don't understand why? It seems like a new marketing strategy for some Company outlets? Can you tell me why or how to stop this? My AOL acct and Facebook account are not linked, the only similarity is my phone that I use for AOL and Facebook, passwords are different.

Original review: March 31, 2018

One of the biggest problems that most people aren't aware of is AOL Gold, in order to run properly, really needs your computer to have 8 Gigs of RAM (Random Access Memory ) to run properly. The majority of Gold users probably have 4 Gigs or less. That's a big problem there. The other thing is whoever designed Gold modeled it after Wire Chat...they're identical. No NOTIFY AOL, chats with over 100 people in it. Yes, there are still mail problems with Gold, and I have had it since June 2017.

Another turn off is now having to pay for AOL. When something's free for so long, then you start to charge for it, it's going to piss off your customer base. Less than 1/10 of members that had the old AOL 9.8 have updated to get Gold. Now, the average age of an AOL Member is in the 60's. In the 90's, it was 31 yrs of age. Back to RAM. If you want to keep Gold, you're going to need 8 Gigs for things to go smoothly. Some computers can be upgraded, some won't be able to, and you'll need to buy a computer updating it with 8 Gigs. Hope this helps.

Original review: March 15, 2018

AOL Desktop Gold - This forced "release" is the worst email software I ever was forced to use! It fails to load or present email many time telling me to wait 5 minutes. It is unreliable. It crashes. The "so called news" cannot be tailored to my preference and most of it is "snowflake garbage". Who cares! The default save format (.pdf or .txt) makes subsequent use of emailed information more difficult. Overall rating is NO STARS but you won't process a rating of absolute "0".

Original review: March 14, 2018

I'm not a techie, and have had LOTS of problems with AOL in the past. When I was forced to change to AOL Gold, I assumed that it meant an improvement in their service. NOT! Today, I noticed that there are almost two years worth of emails missing from each of my "new" and "old" files (this, along with entire files have been lost before). In order to get all of my records back, I am now forced to go through a browser, and the AOL format is not familiar to me or as convenient.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Last year Verizon (FiOS) discontinued the email we have had for over 10 years. We were given "free" accounts at AOL (owned by Verizon), retaining the 'verizon.net' domain name. Those statements earned the 1-star. Those accounts have been nothing but ever increasing trouble ever since. AOL is ad-driven (read TONS OF) so we use Outlook to access the accounts several times an hour. AOL has never been reliable. We started by logging in manually to check on what AOL (in their very finite intelligence) had deemed SPAM. Then, to log out, AOL dumps ads on you (generally offers to "clean" my PC - probably from something AOL put there).

Just sending or receiving email (their only function) has become harder and harder over the last few months. Constant error messages. Example: "Task **age, contact your server administration or Internet service provider (ISP)." Or "** Receiving reported error (OX800CCC92): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your username & password in your account properties. Under Tools, Click E-mail accounts. The server responded: ERR[sys/temp] Server error Please try again later." Or requests: "Enter Network Password. Please type your user name password. Server: pop.verizon.net Save this password in your password list."

I've made changes to the accounts per AOL, Verizon, and third-parties to no avail. Funny how many years we got along with these setting and had no problems. There appears to be no way to contact AOL unless you have a paid subscription. This includes their Customer Service (sic) email option. Oh... maybe I've stumbled on the real problem. Maybe a paid subscription will suddenly correct their failings. Our answer is to dump AOL/Verizon for other email (e.g. gmail). Oh... there does not appear to be any way to delete/cancel these free accounts. The best we can do is abandon them. Side note: I now have a bad taste about Verizon and am seriously considering dumping FiOS Digital Voice.

Original review: March 6, 2018

How to ruin an business. Get rid of all the users by fouling up their folders. Came to AOL in the late 90's as I recall, had little to no computer experience, still don't. What little I have learned can be tucked away in an Aspirin sized vial. Paying them $40.00 to $50.00 an month with the assist by AOL. Over the years I have amassed about two to three hundred sites that were decent. About half my sites were for Saltwater fishing, mostly pier and surf fishing. My file used to be huge, now it may have fifteen sites in it. Now in my contacts I have to be very careful, if I am lucky and remember (I am in my mid seventies and forget easily) to get all the names in an "email to" or "Send to" box then I have won half the battle. If I forget or just omit one name from the list, I am better off sending them an copy of the email. This is because if I try so little as to add an comma to the list It will erase or omit the email in total.

Therefore this old man is going fishing for an new home after spending twenty years backpedaling on AOL. I think I made an error when I said I had learned nothing, thats wrong, I have learned that AOL is an well that you throw your money into. I have to wonder, if I am paying out fifty bucks an month with just an 1/4 of the benefits, how many people are doling out an hundred or more per month?

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was mostly indifferent to the forced conversion to AOL Gold. Portal about the same. Liked the old and new e-mail sort of the inbox. Back to the original sort of thing. I found and still find it useful. Verizon bought AOL mostly because of their penetration into competing organizations. About an hour off the cuff. Combination of tech, business structure, patient and copyright... few other items. I gather. My current problem with not being able to reinstall AOL after doing a restore (wipe clean) haven't been able to do a 'foaming bubbles' or 'sterilization' for some years. I gather. E-Warfare. In repairing the battle damage to Windows 10 everyone is taking the opportunity to eliminate AOL. Last download try. I do have a contract in good standing with Frontier for my DSL service Internet. Involves speeds. I'm going to try once more tomorrow and then scratch you off my list as a bad try.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Can't open up my email mail and cant delete it, sites open very slow, support is no good. Stories on AOL is very anti-Trump. Their AOL GOLD opens very slow. Support is very nasty, you need to get another email mail site, this is a very bad site for mail and news.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

AOL Gold is useless to me! - I can’t even get my email to list now. I HATE this new version! They threw the baby away with the bath water by building it from scratch and disabling the one that WORKED! The main purpose of this program is email and now it won’t even let me read, much less SEND email from my desktop version. I have to use the mobile app on my iPhone. Not a happy *paying* customer!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

AOL made such a big deal out of the new Gold AOL. It is a piece of... The only thing that has changed is that I have had to make numerous phone calls to AOL to enable me to use it since the change. I cannot see my e-mail today, 2/21/18. Everything keeps freezing. When AOL Gold was installed, I was virtually not able to see my e-mail for over a month. I made so many phone calls. Then it would work for a few days, then gone again. Finally, I thought they fixed the problem, but today it's all starting over again. Someone needs to look into this company. I'm paying for this junk, only because other e-mail options seem to be lackluster. But I am reconsidering switching my e-mail over. I can't not be able to see e-mails from doctors, retailers, etc.

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

New York
NY
www.aol.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business