3.8/5 (581 ratings)

About AOL

AOL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I couldn't get into my AOL mail account because I using a different device other than my usual one and had to change my password. When I got back to my regular PC I naturally had to change it again because the other computer assigned me a password and I couldn't get back to it to read it. After a few attempts at changing my password, the web page stopped me from any chance of getting a password change online and forced me to call customer service. I jumped through all the hoops and dotted all the i's and then they tell me it will cost $4 to get access to my account. I told the that is ransomware and that I would post this review. Funny thing, as soon as I hung up I was able to get my password changed online. Whatyaknow!!!!

AOL uses techniques that feel a lot like ransomware under the guise of security to stop patrons from signing on and to charge you to get back online by shutting down all possible ways of accessing a legitimate password change unless you call their customer service number. AOL farms out their customer service to mumbling foreigners whose English is almost entirely intelligible. I intend to post this message everywhere I can. AOL makes enough money from the ads I have to suffer through when I check my mail. Shame on you AOL!! You used to be top-notch!! Not anymore!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

For several months, the usual number of SPAM has gone from a few to over 60 /day. Several times a day, I am forced to to delete dozens of SPAM. Of particular concern is the number of sexually explicit ones which are readily available to family members who have access to my email account. AOL seems to make this MY problem rather than theirs.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

My wife and I have been trying to get rid to AOL billing for several years. She called and cancelled multiple times and AOL charges still appear on my credit card. I finally wised up and had my credit card stop their charges. Today I got two letters from AOL. One stating we cancelled but charges for the month would still be applied (LOL). Second was a past due bill because I stopped the credit card charges. This company is garbage.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Aol email support used to be free, but now Apollo is charging for email support. https://www.apolloic.com/#home Aol sold to Verizon, which verizon sold to apollo. Apollo also never put up their new terms and condtions neither.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

As soon as I figure out how to do without the AOL email that I have had for 30 years I will be relieved to be rid of their consistently biased and false news articles that I have to see before getting to my mail. Sheesh! Unbelievable crap.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

They are pure thieves. AOL out source the customer service and tech support to their people. When you call for help they want to charge you for what you for what is free and puts your credit card on file so they can rip you off and use your credit card and information. If you don't allow them they find ways to mess up your account and forward your emails to themselves so they have access to your information. They are the biggest thieves. The one I spoke with this evening was so nasty and crooked. After he changed my password, he refused to tell me what was my new password. He hung up after he changed my password so he can access my email.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

A week ago I started receiving over 50 new spams a day through AOL, and today AOL offers to sell me a spam filter product! What a fraudulent way of marketing! No wonder AOL just sold for half of what it was worth 5 years ago.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I have not had any problem in over 25 years with the internet service provided by AOL. What else can I say? I am very, very, very, very satisfied with AOL internet.

Original review: July 17, 2021

The news stories are getting more and more biased. More opinion than news. AOL seems to block people with different opinions. I am a paying customer and do not think they take that into consideration when denying certain components of their service. Once your comment is rejected, it appears they continually reject them, no matter the content. Not sure that I like my freedom of speech denied and will look for another service.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Every since over a year ago my account is ways has been blocked by AOL and they claim they can not see the issue. Then I see someone has been in the account and then my account and the problem is still an issue. I have gone to the site and wrote my issues and nothing is being done or even an email that they are or will be looking into! So I paid for service and now after paying for the case to be taken care hear every reason why they can not do anything and the site I have to leave comments at (Which have left 6 remarks in the past) and nothing is being done. So all AOL is wanting money for their service and take the DO NOTHING IN RETURN FOR PAYING CUSTOMER.

AOL author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

AOL Company Information