1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1549 AOL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

One morning I woke up to 3000 spam emails delivered in a 2 hour period. In my shock and dismay I immediately deleted all the emails and in my panic deleted all my saved emails as well. I called AOL immediately and they told me not to worry all the emails can be retrieved within 7 days of deletion. That was two months ago. I called every day for two weeks and they always told me they were aware of the problem and I wasn't the only customer in the same situation. It was being addressed by senior techs and they will contact me ASAP. (They never did.) I called yesterday and am now being told I am S.O.L. My emails are gone and that's the end of that. I had online vouchers totaling over $500 which are completely dead now. AOL once the absolute leader in email and online presence is now just a sad and pathetic shell which is obviously heading fast down the highway to oblivion. After 17 years as a loyal subscriber all I can say is "Thanks for Nothing".

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had the misfortune to get involved with AOL Gold because I believed they were going to cut off my 9.7 version. I was the dope who fell for this as others I know still running 9.7 and paying nothing. It’s slow, hangs up, and issues every day. All efforts to revert back to 9.7 were blocked by AOL IT. I could not even reinstall AOL Gold with an experienced tech at my house. I kept it because of fav places. All efforts to import fav places into a browser, any browser not possible. Discussions with AOL indicated that all fav places were now part of their proprietary Gold software and no file available to import into ANY browser. This is beyond the pale and bad business practice. If anyone has found a solution to importing favorite places into IE or any other browser, let me know.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I've been with AOL for 20 years and it gets worse every day. Personnel aren't trained to figure out or help with anything. Their accounting dept has charged me for services I want discontinued. Their billings have caused me $$$ problems and service charges and are building up at my bank. I spent over 60 hours and 5 days with AOL and my problems have still not been resolved. I took out ASSIST and they're no help except they answer the phone faster. Their email program is very unreliable too. Everybody that uses them is very unsatisfied. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO AOL IF YOU WANT SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I can no longer get into any of my AOL emails that I have had for YEARS. I have received so many scams and phishing emails and AOL does NOTHING about it.

There is no customer service, there is no help for issues and I have now switched to another provider that is more secure and clear of scam. ** off AOL. You've fallen behind the times!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

AOL mail keeps going down daily. They make excuses on their FB and keep saying they are working hard which is not the case. Trying to call customer service is a joke. Their guy said there was no issue on AOL end but AOL posted on Facebook that it is an issue on their end. Stop lying and saying to be patient. When you use AOL for a business there is no patience anymore. With all the competitors, you would think they would be good, but they don't care about their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

AOL Customer service is a joke. Don't waste your time with people that either don't understand or don't care. GO ELSEWHERE. Any IP that provides a service has to be WILL be better than AOL. TRUST ME... Try it. Good Luck.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

AOL email was down 3 times in October 2018. Now it is down again November 5, 2018. AOL email reliability is terrible. Email service was much better before Verizon handed email over to AOL. I want to keep my Verizon email address, but AOL email service is intolerable.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Please stop with the shocking, sad, AOL human Freak show tabloid headlines. Often just awful, pain to another human being, in a most freakish way, and the worst in arrogance, bad taste. A disgrace. No interest in health issues, or broader, informative view - just constant Freak Show Headlines. Please Cease and Desist. It's a horror.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Ever since AOL took over Verizon’s email, the service has been unreliable. My account is periodically “offline” and attempts to log in via password are unsuccessful. Eventually and without explanation, the account will come “online” again. With so many service providers available, why have I lived with this? Answer: the effort to switch my email address on many accounts. Not anymore. I am DONE with AOL/Verizon. For those who choose to stick with them, no worries, as I doubt they will be around very long in our hyper-competitive world where winners are sharply focused on customer experience.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My email was hacked and I suddenly received literally thousands of emails a day. In my attempt to delete them all, I deleted 6 months (and more) of legitimate emails including one that is actually money. I immediately called AOL to retrieve the deleted emails as the retrieval function did not work. Two weeks later and countless calls I still do not have my emails back and I doubt I ever will. There is obviously a reason they used to have 27 million members and now less than 3 million. As soon as I can convert all my contact info to Gmail they will have one less and I have been with them for well over 20 years.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have been a member of America Online AKA AOL since 1996. I was a paid member throughout most of the time period. In January of 2016 I told AOL through a phone call that I no longer could afford the $23.95. And to cancel my account. They said they would but it was never cancelled and they were continuing to take the money from my Discover card for several more months before I discovered it.

I called them once again and got into an argument with the person at AOL who tried to hold me hostage by saying, "Just pay a one time fee of $600 and you can keep it." I said, "I did not want to keep it. I want to cancel it." He then said $300. I said, "No. Cancel my membership. I am not paying." He hung up on me period. For several more months I was being billed on AOL at $23.95. Finally I called Discover card to get it to stop. AOL is really an unethical unprofessional business. I'm very disgusted with them and wish I could get all of my money returns. If anyone else wants to fire all a class action suit against AOL let's do it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

About January of 2016 I told AOL to cancel my paid membership, they agreed they would but it continue to $24 per month. I called several more times and it one time even got into an argument with the representative who hung up on me by trying to tell me to pay 600 one-time deal to keep it. I told him, "I don't want to keep it. If you can't give me free AOL shut it down. I cannot afford it." The $24 per month continued actually 23.95. I called several times more and still got nowhere. I finally had Discover card cancel and put a block on it. They are the biggest rip-off of all time and should be fined by the feds.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

AOL use to be a good service but since the new version has come out it's been nothing but ads, pop-ups, system draining graphics, constant outages, slow or no email uploading and a very helpless service group. They con the public by offering free AOL Mail but continue to bill existing and loyal customers. What kind of company is this. I'm going over to my other email accounts and not coming back.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have a history of bad experiences with AOL. More than 20 years ago when I was in college and got my first Internet account, soon after they'd changed their pricing policy to the unlimited flat fee, resulting in many people signing up and it being almost impossible to get online via dial-up. They charged me over $200 stating that I'd chosen some other pricing plan twice, which had never happened. The support person I spoke to had an attitude. Long story short, had to get my state's attorney general involved to get rid of these fraudulent charges.

Now many years later, as a Verizon customer, last year I was forced onto AOL's mail servers when Verizon decided to team up with AOL and Yahoo. Before this I would have sporadic problems sending/receiving emails, but nothing noteworthy. Since this happened it's been a lot more often and is really tiresome. The first time it happened I called AOL's tech support (had to search quite a while to find the right number) and they told me it wasn't their problem, I should contact Verizon's support. Well, I'd contacted them beforehand and they told me to contact AOL support. I got a huge runaround and in the end the AOL tech decided to help. It involved tweaking my mail settings (I use an Outlook client for my mail) and then I was able to send/receive email.

However I've noticed the service has been very unreliable lately. At least once or twice a month, AOL Mail goes down. And it seems to happen almost all over the US and in other countries as well. I don't know if it's the fault of AOL, Verizon, Yahoo, or all three combined, but this is unacceptable. I use my mail account for business and it needs to be more reliable. (I do have a Gmail account, but I'd need to change over my email info on lots of different websites, plus set it up to work with my Outlook client, so I'd rather not do that just yet.) They insist they're sorry, they know how frustrated we are and they are working hard to fix the problem. It'll work for a little while and go down again. I wish they'd do something to make the system more stable.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This is the second time in as many days that it is out and no explanation or estimate of when it will be back. For a Verizon company totally unacceptable. I would really like to know why the service keeps going out and where to get reliable email since they don't seem able to provide it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Since Verizon moved emails to AOL, it sucks!! They recently added more ads to the email platform, and it is slower than ever, and gets a LOT of error messages, so mails do not load, come in or go out. I'd PAY to avoid this issue!! Verizon, you made a huge mistake using AOL. I have moved as many clients as possible to Gmail, which is smoother, faster and can manage larger files.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Some Russian hackers made their way into my AOL email account. I discovered this myself (AOL isn't sophisticated enough to advise anything's wrong) and then simply wanted to receive a copy of the access history (which vanishes from the screen once you reset your password). AOL PAID ($4.99/mo) technical support is completely inept and unable to provide the access history. Further, they can provide no timeline for an escalation response. I've waited one week already and am done waiting. Thank goodness they offered a free trial of their paid support because that's what it's worth: ZERO.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been contacting AOL for OVER 1 year (open ticket **). I have continually had every problem you can imagine. Slow email sending, cannot open mail, try again, email crashes. Template issues, etc, etc. Each time I call tech support, I must wait a minimum of 10-15 minutes, go through a lengthy id process, whereas I need a text sent to my phone with a code. THEN, I need to explain my TECH PROBLEM to billing, so they can then transfer me to tech support, who has another wait. If they cannot resolve the problem, they will say, "Are you there? Are you there?" and then they will hang-up, knowing all well they could hear you perfectly. You then have to call again and repeat the same insane process. What happened to wonderful AOL that I had for over 20 years.

The day I was MANDATED TO KEEP to purchase Desktop Gold, was the day I started hating AOL and their new tactics of charging for a SERVICE THEY DO NOT SUPPORT OR PROVIDE. I have contacted AOL customer service over 8 times within this year to request assistance, to involve a supervisor and to respectfully request a satisfactory refund. I am STILL WAITING. I called today, because my business email address has an extensive template I utilize for sending my emails to clients. The state of Texas requires that this template contain specific license info.

This morning I went to send an email and it has been mysteriously deleted from my account. I paid a web designer to install this information. When I called and waited over 31 minutes, I received a tech who was untrained in this area of expertise and pretended she could not hear me and released the call. What a freaking shame! I want to WHY THERE IS NO CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST AOL. I am willing to provide any documentation of my claim and refund request.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Last year, AOL contacted me, through email. I would not have my free AOL anymore. I had to buy AOL Gold. I spoke to someone at AOL, and was told, "That was correct. You had to pay." So, I paid. I called, and told them, "This sucks, why am I paying." They let me have 4 mos free. Then I just gave in, and continued to pay. My immediate friends kept telling me, why am I paying? I said that's the only way I can keep my e-mail. Well, last week I had an issue, with them. The agent said, "Why are you paying? AOL is free..." I have been with them for years. This is FRAUD. I cancelled the gold, and they will give me back $4.15. I want all monies back. How can they do this to people.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We have used AOL since 1998 for email. We originally paid for dialup (remember that?), went to free internet email, and because we couldn't get support went to paying plan again. Today we wanted to change the credit card for payment. Called their support line and get put on hold for 15 min, then it hangs up on us. We call again and after some more waiting get an agent that can't believe we want to give them a credit card to pay so they want some sort of verification to make sure that we aren't just paying for someone else's account and are only going to be paying for ours (yeah, we didn't understand that ourselves).

So we go find the information they want and when we get back they've hung up again. So we finally go into their clunky website and figure out how to do this online - in the process, we decide to scale back on what we're paying, so now only pay about half of what we were for a bunch of stuff we weren't using anyway. One of these days when we have time we'll dump them entirely - at least we won't have to look at their ultra liberal HuffPost propaganda opening page (although it is hilariously funny sometimes - hard to imagine anyone with a brain would believe what they are spouting).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have had FREE AOL my whole life with no problems. This new AOL GOLD is not FREE... you have to pay for it if you want to keep all your favorites and saved emails. Verizon bought AOL and there is nothing but problems reading/sending emails. You go to click on articles to post on Facebook... more problems. What happens is once you click to open, you get the "spinning blue circle of death". Nothing opens up immediately and you can wait minutes. Just ridiculous and to think I have to pay for this! Google and read all the complaints with AOL GOLD. Isn't there a government agency who can step in and make them fix this paid program? We are all being ripped off and held hostage. If I had a way of transferring all my favorites and folders to say GOOGLE... I would do it in a minute and QUIT AOL. To anyone thinking about getting AOL... RUN!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Called to try and get some of the money back which is around 7 thousand and I get a letter from Jeffery ** stating it wasn't their fault but will deposit 104 dollars back in my acct as a gesture of goodwill. I have filed affidavits and sent them all bank info and we had to close that bank acct and open new 1 after 31 years. So how do you get in touch with them to discuss this. I'm at point now where if I gotta get a lawyer and it cost me more than they stole I'm ready to do so. This big cooperation stealing (and that's exactly what they have did) the money we actually worked for is disgusting. Then their so called gesture of goodwill sent to an acct that's not open anymore because of them. This Jeffery ** guy won't answer me anymore so I'm at a lost.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

For many years I used an AOL spam filter that would only let emails from designated addresses into my inbox. All others emails went into the AOL spam file. This filter was removed without notification.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

AOL Search keeps popping up; I can't get rid of it!!! Tell AOL to fix the problem. I want to read my e-mails. Since I am paying for AOL Gold, it should work properly. If it isn't fixed soon, I will not pay for it. Make AOL Search stop opening!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I'm extremely mad at AOL. They just sent me a survey to fill out and they won't let me submit my comments and username I need to recover. When I attempted to recover it displays the official AOL customer service phone number to call which the lady was very rude to me and asked for lots of personal info including my social security number. ** You AOL. I hope your headquarters burns down!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I had used AOL for over thirty years as my main email client. I blocked everyone but friends and family, as I used another client for ordering, paying bills, etc. After AOL was purchased by Verizon/Yahoo it was ruined. My settings were changed and there were fewer choices for blocking unwanted things. After all those years I started getting spam. It was like pulling teeth to close the account, and it can't be done through AOL... It must be done through Yahoo! (Mine was a free account.)

I had to go here: **. (It will say you're terminating a Yahoo account. **As long as you use the aol.com URL above, only your AOL account will be deleted, NOT any Yahoo account that you might have!**) I followed the instructions and FINALLY closed the account. I am so glad that's done. From what I have learned, your emails are mined for advertising purposes, hence the privacy policy/settings changes. Bye bye, AOL. Glad to see you gone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My email was apparently hacked, after my iPad began to tell me that my IMAP, AOL username and password were incorrect. I went to reset the password and someone had changed the phone number. They were unable to do security checks, and told me "THIS IS A DEAD CASE, THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!" CLICK!!! Supervisors told me different stories, gave me different case numbers and no resolutions!!! They would not edit the account, and basically treated me like trash. I did the correct thing, called them and informed them of suspicious activity.

I still don't have access and need access to the account. It's an older account, so creating a new account isn't going to help. I will not have my address book. I will have NOTHING!! After reading the reviews on AOL Mail on Facebook, there are millions of people having this problem!!! EXACT PROBLEM!!! We are being told security settings... Very disappointed!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

AOL spam control is a failure. When I complain, the number of spam and marketing emails declines, then gradually returns to over 50 per day. I have strict controls that do not work. Outside of blocking all my emails, AOL's system is antiquated. I see AOL as a marketing agent for inferior companies.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Service goes down often. Features that were on the old AOL are now gone. Delete search history at sign off will not work. Can no longer pick icons for favorite places. Stored appointments on AOL calendar have disappear. These are just a few problems that we are now paying for that were not present on the old AOL.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was having issues with my AOL account on my iPhone. I called Apple and was conferenced to AOL. We were first informed the issue was indeed coming from AOL's end. I was then told that in order to correct this issue, I would have to become a premium member and pay a monthly fee. I had my AOL account for over 15 years. I refuse to pay for a error on part of AOL. I deleted my account and create an account with a reliable site. SHAME ON AOL FOR TREATING A LOYAL CUSTOMER LIKE THIS!!!

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs