Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5
Based on 1,124 ratings submitted in the last year

AOL Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Frontier took over Verizon Services here in 2016 with AOL as their Email Server. I had issues with my Outlook Email. Was finally able to get Tech Support who set me up a new Outlook Email account. In doing so wiped out ALL my previous Emails. Was informed to contact AOL to recover these, no phone number. Just Email capable. They HEE HAWED around telling me after the 7th day that they can no longer recover Emails after the 7th day. The absolute WORST Email provider services anyone could dream of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I'm not sure how long I have had AOL, maybe ten years or more. I had it when it was a dial up over a landline phone connection. More recently they introduced AOL GOLD and at least in our area (Ga) you had to sign up for that at $4.99 a month. So I signed up, I stay with it as I am familiar with it and learning a new setup at my age is not what I want to do. I have had to have it restored 6 times. I use their provided phone number and talk to their tech people in India. They are pretty sharp and have so far gotten it restored. For some odd reason I find that I now do not have just the 7 email addresses you get with AOL but I have 18! 11 of my old addresses are now back and working. These are addresses I did have in past years and deleted them in favor of newer ones I wanted. No idea why they have suddenly appeared.

When talking to the tech folks in India they ask if you want to get 'free' this or that add on. One time I made the mistake of saying YES. I learned the hard way that it was only free the first month and would be 4.99 a month after that. So when they go into their spiel about this or that nice add on that is free just butt in and tell them you are not interested. I'm sure they have their instructions to upsell these add-ons so they will drone on at length about this. Just say NO right off the bat and don't fall for this free crap.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

AOL published an article about a tourist dying in an auto accident in Belize, but displayed a picture of a Carnival cruise ship. One has nothing to do with another, but it is a blatant act of sensationalism. Since the cause of the accidental death was a tire blowing out and causing a wreck, they could have published a story about the tire manufacturer who made the tire. Publishing a picture of the cruise ship implies that the Cruise Line had something to do with the death. FOUL, FOUL, FOUL.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Don't even think of using this service. News story's are terrible. Mail service is constantly broken and doesn't work and it is so full of commercials each and every step to do anything. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I've had AOL for years. One day I get kicked out. Can't sign in. So I try to reset my password. Doesn't work so I find a phone number. Then they tell you that you need to pay to talk to customer service!!! I will no longer use aol. Recommend you don't either! #NATIONWIDEBOYCOTT

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have tried for over two years to close out a compromised account and no success! I have emailed AOL, called aol and no go. What can be done? My info is on the dark web because of this. I'm sorry I ever signed up for free aol account.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

They make you pay money to get technical support and then they do not deliver on promised email recovery. 3 requests, 8 phone calls, 0 results. I have been with AOL since 1988 and I will now look for a provider that is more secure and better customer service. MOVE YOUR EMAIL AWAY FROM AOL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. They also have liberal leaning news feeds, the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Microsoft or Google is a much better option. Make sure you backup your emails in outlook or something. I cancelled my subscription. I don't believe the customer service is even in America. American Online?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

My regular AOL desktop started looping at sign-in (sign-in, click for new mail, get pop-up that says "are you sure you want to sign-out" instead of ever getting mail (Chrome). I am a premium member and searched this problem and saw where there is this new platform and I begin an email in this ridiculous computer font is appearing. There is no selection bar on the "write mail" to select font, or font color, or bold, etc... Nothing there. How is this remotely possible that AOL would make an "improved" version that does a complete turn into the realm of a non-developed platform?

Then look to Help, and it says 'go to Write mail, and select "drop down menu". There is not a drop-down menu in site. Going to Mail Settings, nothing there about Fonts, Colors, nothing. So Platform itself is inexcusably terrible. Help is of no avail, were even the Help steps in some way correct, there is not even any screen-shots like any other basic user would know to add, let alone the great AOL.

Enough so that myself and other persons here - who have much better things to do with our time - and who are so upset as to click on Consumer Affairs instead, will I hope continue to complain this unacceptable "service" which AOL is not providing in any way. Honestly, as well, I am going to back up all of my years of emails - again - and on flash, etc, since there is no way to trust that AOL can stay in business as clearly they are not able to staff entry level developers, nor manage the product satisfaction, etc etc... I do not trust my data any longer on their system! Take note folks & back-up (which in all cases is good to do!) to AOL - read these - 30-year AOL customer.. (admittedly since Dial-Up!) Thank you Consumer Affairs!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

When I read the news on AOL, I go to the posting section. The last few months 1/3 of my comments are deleted even though they are decent/no vulgarities. I am sick of it. Will cancel my subscription. There should be freedom of speech, but AOL personnel who think they're God just do whatever they want to when no one is watching. People complain constantly. It is not fair because these AOL individuals allow others to swear and talk dirty, while those of us who just want to post

are not allowed to. AOL is very political, and they favor whomever they want by letting them write anything. Those who want to respond have their posts deleted, or are not allowed to post at all. That happened to me four times this morning. If you're having the same problem, cancel AOL. We don't have to take this.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have forgotten my old Library Card number. I have 4 other security questions on my email account. I click 'I can't answer this question', and it just says well tough luck. No way to recover my account. Called and told them, I can't get it to ask me my other security questions, I know all of them, but just can't remember my decade old Library card info. I have all the log in info, I know my password, I know all my questions but the most outdated that I should have removed years ago. Have to cancel every account attached to this email because it is unusable. AOL is pretty useless overall these days.

Not sure about AOL?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

AOL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This is the company with the most Internet experience, going all the way back to the 1980s -- 10 years before the World Wide Web was created. Over the years, AOL has been at the center of many of the most important developments in Internet technology. It merged with Time Warner in 2000, then split off again in 2009. In 2015, Verizon purchased the company.

• Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high.

• Experts in security: Security is among its strongest suits, making this a preferred choice for businesses. Through their partnership with McAffee they can provide a wide range of defenses, including AOL Tech Fortress to catch non-traditional viruses and SuperAntiSpyware to weed out malware.

• Online backups: Agreements with cloud services and Microsoft give customers the benefit of keeping backups of important documents and pictures online.

• Best for: Businesses who are concerned about online security and storing their documents in the cloud.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team