3.9/5 (578 ratings)

About AOL

AOL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: March 3, 2020

Trying to post comments on AOL news articles. Today 3/3/2020 It seems I have been BLOCKED from posting comments. I have had this account for YEARS and today is the FIRST time I have had issues. It indicated I had to sign in, which I did and still could NOT post. HAVE CHANGES BEEN MADE TODAY or WHAT IS GOING ON?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I have had AOL for over 15 years. I do not want it any longer and have tried numerous times over the last year to cancel the account. I have gotten the run around and told I had to cancel sub accounts, which I did. Two accounts still show up but when you try to log in to them they do not exist. It feels as if you are being held prisoner to AOL. Do not pay for the services. They continue to raise the cost and do nothing to assist you when needed. Nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Frontier took over Verizon Services here in 2016 with AOL as their Email Server. I had issues with my Outlook Email. Was finally able to get Tech Support who set me up a new Outlook Email account. In doing so wiped out ALL my previous Emails. Was informed to contact AOL to recover these, no phone number. Just Email capable. They HEE HAWED around telling me after the 7th day that they can no longer recover Emails after the 7th day. The absolute WORST Email provider services anyone could dream of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I'm not sure how long I have had AOL, maybe ten years or more. I had it when it was a dial up over a landline phone connection. More recently they introduced AOL GOLD and at least in our area (Ga) you had to sign up for that at $4.99 a month. So I signed up, I stay with it as I am familiar with it and learning a new setup at my age is not what I want to do. I have had to have it restored 6 times. I use their provided phone number and talk to their tech people in India. They are pretty sharp and have so far gotten it restored. For some odd reason I find that I now do not have just the 7 email addresses you get with AOL but I have 18! 11 of my old addresses are now back and working. These are addresses I did have in past years and deleted them in favor of newer ones I wanted. No idea why they have suddenly appeared.

When talking to the tech folks in India they ask if you want to get 'free' this or that add on. One time I made the mistake of saying YES. I learned the hard way that it was only free the first month and would be 4.99 a month after that. So when they go into their spiel about this or that nice add on that is free just butt in and tell them you are not interested. I'm sure they have their instructions to upsell these add-ons so they will drone on at length about this. Just say NO right off the bat and don't fall for this free crap.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

AOL published an article about a tourist dying in an auto accident in Belize, but displayed a picture of a Carnival cruise ship. One has nothing to do with another, but it is a blatant act of sensationalism. Since the cause of the accidental death was a tire blowing out and causing a wreck, they could have published a story about the tire manufacturer who made the tire. Publishing a picture of the cruise ship implies that the Cruise Line had something to do with the death. FOUL, FOUL, FOUL.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Don't even think of using this service. News story's are terrible. Mail service is constantly broken and doesn't work and it is so full of commercials each and every step to do anything. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I've had AOL for years. One day I get kicked out. Can't sign in. So I try to reset my password. Doesn't work so I find a phone number. Then they tell you that you need to pay to talk to customer service!!! I will no longer use aol. Recommend you don't either! #NATIONWIDEBOYCOTT

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have tried for over two years to close out a compromised account and no success! I have emailed AOL, called aol and no go. What can be done? My info is on the dark web because of this. I'm sorry I ever signed up for free aol account.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

They make you pay money to get technical support and then they do not deliver on promised email recovery. 3 requests, 8 phone calls, 0 results. I have been with AOL since 1988 and I will now look for a provider that is more secure and better customer service. MOVE YOUR EMAIL AWAY FROM AOL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. They also have liberal leaning news feeds, the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Microsoft or Google is a much better option. Make sure you backup your emails in outlook or something. I cancelled my subscription. I don't believe the customer service is even in America. American Online?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

My regular AOL desktop started looping at sign-in (sign-in, click for new mail, get pop-up that says "are you sure you want to sign-out" instead of ever getting mail (Chrome). I am a premium member and searched this problem and saw where there is this new platform and I begin an email in this ridiculous computer font is appearing. There is no selection bar on the "write mail" to select font, or font color, or bold, etc... Nothing there. How is this remotely possible that AOL would make an "improved" version that does a complete turn into the realm of a non-developed platform?

Then look to Help, and it says 'go to Write mail, and select "drop down menu". There is not a drop-down menu in site. Going to Mail Settings, nothing there about Fonts, Colors, nothing. So Platform itself is inexcusably terrible. Help is of no avail, were even the Help steps in some way correct, there is not even any screen-shots like any other basic user would know to add, let alone the great AOL.

Enough so that myself and other persons here - who have much better things to do with our time - and who are so upset as to click on Consumer Affairs instead, will I hope continue to complain this unacceptable "service" which AOL is not providing in any way. Honestly, as well, I am going to back up all of my years of emails - again - and on flash, etc, since there is no way to trust that AOL can stay in business as clearly they are not able to staff entry level developers, nor manage the product satisfaction, etc etc... I do not trust my data any longer on their system! Take note folks & back-up (which in all cases is good to do!) to AOL - read these - 30-year AOL customer.. (admittedly since Dial-Up!) Thank you Consumer Affairs!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

When I read the news on AOL, I go to the posting section. The last few months 1/3 of my comments are deleted even though they are decent/no vulgarities. I am sick of it. Will cancel my subscription. There should be freedom of speech, but AOL personnel who think they're God just do whatever they want to when no one is watching. People complain constantly. It is not fair because these AOL individuals allow others to swear and talk dirty, while those of us who just want to post

are not allowed to. AOL is very political, and they favor whomever they want by letting them write anything. Those who want to respond have their posts deleted, or are not allowed to post at all. That happened to me four times this morning. If you're having the same problem, cancel AOL. We don't have to take this.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

AOL does not allow freedom of speech in their community. I speak professionally and courteously and with respect when countering an issue. BUT IF IT IS AGAINST AOL's AGENDA, IT WILL BE CENSORED!, OR, ghost posted. THAT is NOT a company to trust!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have forgotten my old Library Card number. I have 4 other security questions on my email account. I click 'I can't answer this question', and it just says well tough luck. No way to recover my account. Called and told them, I can't get it to ask me my other security questions, I know all of them, but just can't remember my decade old Library card info. I have all the log in info, I know my password, I know all my questions but the most outdated that I should have removed years ago. Have to cancel every account attached to this email because it is unusable. AOL is pretty useless overall these days.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

We have been using AOL for over 15 years. I'm so mad at how SLOW AOL MAKES MY COMPUTER. I will be more than happy to spend $100 a year for an email server that does not use memory to work on your computer. Every time I use AOL on my mac a little screen on the top comes and says "This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your mac." 1.45 gig!!! Can wait to never have to use AOL AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Headlines more often than not are false, distorted, biased and politically inspired. Today headlines says Warren to tax billionaires to increase social security payments. As often the case and correctly reported in the body of the article she would double social security payments of employees and employers for all those making $250000 or more. Aol news is a disgrace and is costing Verizon customers as they own Aol and condone this. Far more people should drop Verizon.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

When will social media learn the value of being un-biased??? I have been on AOL from the beginning back when you used to get their CDs in the mail to use on your dial-up network. Now why they would change their time proven success of remaining un-biased when it comes to politics and religion. Whether your for the right or for the left, you automatically alienate half of your fan base by expressing your opinion. It has been the destruction and downfall of CNN, MSNBC and many of the now labeled Lamestream media...

When I see Hollywood, singers, comedians, etc coming out with usually quite outlandish and usually insulting political statements, it makes me wonder, did they even consider the fan base that put them where there are today? Do they still not realize that the same fans that put them there can also disappear and make you a has-been? I truly hope AOL sees the light and refrains from continuing to take sides in their political reporting, especially when it is the wrong side!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I set up a free 30 day account on my mother's computer for a AOL Desktop Gold. Prior to 30 days I cancelled the account and the AOL icon disappeared from my mother's desktop. For a year I have been disputing the credit card charge of 4.99 that appears monthly. I called AOL and they can not find the account or the charge. There is no supervisor to speak with and no corporate telephone number was given when I requested it. I ended up having to cancel my credit card just to STOP AOL from charging the monthly fee.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I've been trying to forward email from an AOL mail account to a Gmail account for a week. I finally got someone on the line from AOL and it was the billing department. They said I could not speak to technical support unless I paid them a monthly fee! It's clearly an issue on their server as I am not the only one who's been dealing with this issue. They were completely unhelpful, rude and offered downright terrible customer service. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I need a help with how to install AOL Desktop Gold, as I want help from the official team of the software, but their calls are so much busy so I decided to contact a third-party website and took help from http://www.aolhelp247.com/install-aol-desktop-gold/ by calling on +1 (866) 257-5356. As they provide me all the proper solutions and tips on chats as well as on-call.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have been with AOL since 2003. Annual automatic billing. I use it for email, Lifelock, and tech support (last used 2 years ago). Within the last year my credit card number changed. I got an email saying I needed to renew my subscription- couldn't auto bill. I got to thinking about all the services I do not use and decided $257/ year was too much. There are 20 services (AARP, Sprint discounts, Verizon discounts, Hotel discounts) that I am paying for and do not use. I called to see if I could get a cheaper plan. The second and third customer support people told me I owed them for a year- they bill in arrears- my bill was for the last year used and not the upcoming year. I know that to not be the case. I cannot believe they would lie and steal like that. TOTALLY AMAZED. I ended up getting my same plan for $167/ year. But I had no idea that AOL used very unreputable people. May go to the State Attorney General. Very disgusted with the company.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had just contacted customer support in regards to an account recovery I was trying to have. Admittedly and stupidly, I had interconnected two of my accounts to recover one or the other. I know the password for one but not the other. I had made it clear to Mr. Dennis that all I really need is access to my account after providing legal information and even confirmed my recovery email name.

Apparently, by Dennis’ words, “There we no way anyone in this company can recover your account if you cannot access your recovery email.” I have not been on AOL for over one to two years, to have the option to recover an account through the support line and then you can’t even work on doing just that. What access does AOL really offer to their employees for the “service” that is supposedly provided to the customers. Not worth coming back to I guess.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been getting a lot of spam. I think AOL is a part of the scam in order to sell more products and services, i.e. McAffee recently downloaded to desktop with the last software update. AOL is probably the only email provider still charging for services. With that said, I expect better protections without the extra cost. I think AOL practices need to be investigated by the regulators.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I began having trouble logging in about a month ago. So I attempted to change the password. It wouldn't accept any new one and emails to their customer service people were a joke. A number of responses came from different staff, who after a while weren't even aware of my original reason for contacting them. So I could only sign in with a text code. Then I received an email from them saying they need my date of birth on the acct, though I gave it when I set up the acct. And mind you, no instructions as to where/how to input my DOB. Now they have outages in areas all over the US. I tried asking on FB just when this would be fixed and got a denial that there was any problem, they blamed my device. Even after I provided them with a link showing a map of the outages and reports from various cities. What an inept and slipshod company. I've never had these problems with any other server, either.

Original review: June 24, 2019

AOL has become Sour only because Verizon bought them out! However or wherever Verizon lurks MONEY???? WILL BE STOLEN!!! I've known this for years and now and for a long time never use their 'Scumbag Service! As everyone, I Loved all of AOL's SERVICES. But now it's gone. Not only do they SCREW AOL users, but they screw their own! (Verison Users) and blame it on something else or play dumb! I guess it's all legal 'cuz they're SCUMBAGGING UP A STORM! They have locked my email. All my email goes straight to Trash! I see the count, 175 or so and climbing but only see the count..

I've already switched all my affairs but they think I'm frustrated and or suffering! But it doesn't matter to me anymore. I'll keep my account with them just to observe and Hopefully they will crumble! The emails I receive and can see are only by them. They're trying to lure me into their monthly payments. Emails by them: Cybercriminals are trying to steal your information... Sign up for free - security... etc. What a joke they are!!! Not to mention pathetic!!! I don't even click on their emails.

My observation so far is : VERIZON = CYBER CRIMINALS. I feel bad for all the people that are lured into their DIRTY CLUTCHES. Sadly I saw all this coming when they bought AOL and knew it was soon to be over. Either way I guess nothing good lasts forever.. THANKS VERIZON! And then they bought Yahoo and I was like WHAT!!?? So I started transferring all my long time saved e-mails elsewhere. Then I felt relieved???? But still used their service until now.. Hope you all WAKE UP and don't allow them to trap you. GOOD LUCK.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I used my emails for business and last year they deleted my invoices and my folders. My passwords were changing every time I went to log in. When spoke to support nothing they can do. CHANGE MY PASSWORD THEY SAID.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have been getting an avalanche of spam from "email@myip" which ends with thousands of numerical combinations. AOL's spam setting deletes the addresses I save to prevent that. I believe AOL is getting paid to be complicit with this spammer.

Original review: May 15, 2019

There are emails that AOL will not block. Some of them are serious about getting your information, they used to have an email address so you could put a stop to some of these people. aol_phish^abuse, Guess what. They closed that email address down and now want you to pay to get protection for your account. I have been an AOL member since I first got a computer. I guess it is time to find a new service provider and tell AOL, they are worthless as they feel their customers are worthless unless you pay monthly fees for this service which they call "protection".

Original review: April 24, 2019

EVERYTHING IS WRONG ABOUT AOL CHARGING CUSTOMERS FOR SIMPLE SERVICES LIKE RESETTING SERVER NAMES. I was experiencing issues with receiving and sending emails because of server settings. I think it's HORRIBLE AOL wanted to charge me to resolve the issue. I contacted Apple and they helped me for free. Shame on AOL! I am planning to eventually move to another provider.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I called AOL customer service today to try to figure out why I cannot get my email on a regular basis. They were more than willing to connect me with technical support for my credit card number. I refused I am so very disappointed in the customer service. I have been with them for 12 years and this is the treatment I received. It’s a very sad situation.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have tried for over half a year to close my AOL account but after hours of trying and numerous phone calls to CS, am still unable to close it. This sb investigated by the FCC and state attorney generals.

AOL Company Information