3.5/5 (565 ratings)

About AOL

AOL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AOL?

Original review: March 31, 2018

One of the biggest problems that most people aren't aware of is AOL Gold, in order to run properly, really needs your computer to have 8 Gigs of RAM (Random Access Memory ) to run properly. The majority of Gold users probably have 4 Gigs or less. That's a big problem there. The other thing is whoever designed Gold modeled it after Wire Chat...they're identical. No NOTIFY AOL, chats with over 100 people in it. Yes, there are still mail problems with Gold, and I have had it since June 2017.

Another turn off is now having to pay for AOL. When something's free for so long, then you start to charge for it, it's going to piss off your customer base. Less than 1/10 of members that had the old AOL 9.8 have updated to get Gold. Now, the average age of an AOL Member is in the 60's. In the 90's, it was 31 yrs of age. Back to RAM. If you want to keep Gold, you're going to need 8 Gigs for things to go smoothly. Some computers can be upgraded, some won't be able to, and you'll need to buy a computer updating it with 8 Gigs. Hope this helps.

Original review: March 15, 2018

AOL Desktop Gold - This forced "release" is the worst email software I ever was forced to use! It fails to load or present email many time telling me to wait 5 minutes. It is unreliable. It crashes. The "so called news" cannot be tailored to my preference and most of it is "snowflake garbage". Who cares! The default save format (.pdf or .txt) makes subsequent use of emailed information more difficult. Overall rating is NO STARS but you won't process a rating of absolute "0".

Original review: March 14, 2018

I'm not a techie, and have had LOTS of problems with AOL in the past. When I was forced to change to AOL Gold, I assumed that it meant an improvement in their service. NOT! Today, I noticed that there are almost two years worth of emails missing from each of my "new" and "old" files (this, along with entire files have been lost before). In order to get all of my records back, I am now forced to go through a browser, and the AOL format is not familiar to me or as convenient.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Last year Verizon (FiOS) discontinued the email we have had for over 10 years. We were given "free" accounts at AOL (owned by Verizon), retaining the 'verizon.net' domain name. Those statements earned the 1-star. Those accounts have been nothing but ever increasing trouble ever since. AOL is ad-driven (read TONS OF) so we use Outlook to access the accounts several times an hour. AOL has never been reliable. We started by logging in manually to check on what AOL (in their very finite intelligence) had deemed SPAM. Then, to log out, AOL dumps ads on you (generally offers to "clean" my PC - probably from something AOL put there).

Just sending or receiving email (their only function) has become harder and harder over the last few months. Constant error messages. Example: "Task **age, contact your server administration or Internet service provider (ISP)." Or "** Receiving reported error (OX800CCC92): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your username & password in your account properties. Under Tools, Click E-mail accounts. The server responded: ERR[sys/temp] Server error Please try again later." Or requests: "Enter Network Password. Please type your user name password. Server: pop.verizon.net Save this password in your password list."

I've made changes to the accounts per AOL, Verizon, and third-parties to no avail. Funny how many years we got along with these setting and had no problems. There appears to be no way to contact AOL unless you have a paid subscription. This includes their Customer Service (sic) email option. Oh... maybe I've stumbled on the real problem. Maybe a paid subscription will suddenly correct their failings. Our answer is to dump AOL/Verizon for other email (e.g. gmail). Oh... there does not appear to be any way to delete/cancel these free accounts. The best we can do is abandon them. Side note: I now have a bad taste about Verizon and am seriously considering dumping FiOS Digital Voice.

Original review: March 6, 2018

How to ruin an business. Get rid of all the users by fouling up their folders. Came to AOL in the late 90's as I recall, had little to no computer experience, still don't. What little I have learned can be tucked away in an Aspirin sized vial. Paying them $40.00 to $50.00 an month with the assist by AOL. Over the years I have amassed about two to three hundred sites that were decent. About half my sites were for Saltwater fishing, mostly pier and surf fishing. My file used to be huge, now it may have fifteen sites in it. Now in my contacts I have to be very careful, if I am lucky and remember (I am in my mid seventies and forget easily) to get all the names in an "email to" or "Send to" box then I have won half the battle. If I forget or just omit one name from the list, I am better off sending them an copy of the email. This is because if I try so little as to add an comma to the list It will erase or omit the email in total.

Therefore this old man is going fishing for an new home after spending twenty years backpedaling on AOL. I think I made an error when I said I had learned nothing, thats wrong, I have learned that AOL is an well that you throw your money into. I have to wonder, if I am paying out fifty bucks an month with just an 1/4 of the benefits, how many people are doling out an hundred or more per month?

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was mostly indifferent to the forced conversion to AOL Gold. Portal about the same. Liked the old and new e-mail sort of the inbox. Back to the original sort of thing. I found and still find it useful. Verizon bought AOL mostly because of their penetration into competing organizations. About an hour off the cuff. Combination of tech, business structure, patient and copyright... few other items. I gather. My current problem with not being able to reinstall AOL after doing a restore (wipe clean) haven't been able to do a 'foaming bubbles' or 'sterilization' for some years. I gather. E-Warfare. In repairing the battle damage to Windows 10 everyone is taking the opportunity to eliminate AOL. Last download try. I do have a contract in good standing with Frontier for my DSL service Internet. Involves speeds. I'm going to try once more tomorrow and then scratch you off my list as a bad try.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Can't open up my email mail and cant delete it, sites open very slow, support is no good. Stories on AOL is very anti-Trump. Their AOL GOLD opens very slow. Support is very nasty, you need to get another email mail site, this is a very bad site for mail and news.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

AOL Gold is useless to me! - I can’t even get my email to list now. I HATE this new version! They threw the baby away with the bath water by building it from scratch and disabling the one that WORKED! The main purpose of this program is email and now it won’t even let me read, much less SEND email from my desktop version. I have to use the mobile app on my iPhone. Not a happy *paying* customer!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

AOL made such a big deal out of the new Gold AOL. It is a piece of... The only thing that has changed is that I have had to make numerous phone calls to AOL to enable me to use it since the change. I cannot see my e-mail today, 2/21/18. Everything keeps freezing. When AOL Gold was installed, I was virtually not able to see my e-mail for over a month. I made so many phone calls. Then it would work for a few days, then gone again. Finally, I thought they fixed the problem, but today it's all starting over again. Someone needs to look into this company. I'm paying for this junk, only because other e-mail options seem to be lackluster. But I am reconsidering switching my e-mail over. I can't not be able to see e-mails from doctors, retailers, etc.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Denying subscriber privileges: In "Conversation" section of news stories I post a comment, but while it appears on the page when I post it, it never actually is posted. If I log off and back on again, it's not there. All the others are. AOL would only say my account is "flagged". Why? They don't know. When? They can't say. Why wasn't I informed of this? They don't know. Fraudulent, unprofessional, unreliable, untruthful.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

If I could I would give negative stars. I've used AOL since early 1990's. Always the desktop. Recently they forced us all onto AOL Gold, which is a piece of **. Absolutely the stupidest crap I have ever experienced. I still use AOL for my email (now I use the online browser version - aol.com), but mainly because I have had my email for 25 years. Now that I am forced onto internet mail (I really liked the desktop version of email) I will most likely eventually migrate away from AOL altogether. I blame Verizon. I will boycott Verizon until the day I die due to this screwup. If they can mangle something this bad by purchasing and changing it - then I can only assume all other Verizon products suck too.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have been with AOL since the mid 90's. While its layout is easy to read the pages don't open quick enough at home or on my phone. Recently I have been getting the wrong emails. And mine are not going where they are not supposed to go. Very slow and going downhill each day.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Almost every week, the AOL app on my phone, their own custom app, can't load messages. I try on the computer next and today got an error message again. I've complained to AOL and they make the customary mistakes. In comparison with two other email services I use, AOL has the worst day by day reliability of any by far. The only reason I keep it is because it's the email address I have had for over 20 years and all my old friends know it. They don't care that the service is unreliable and do nothing to improve that anyone can identify from the outside. Zero improvement.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

S-L-O-W. When I called, to inquire, soon after the switch to GOLD, the rep said they were still working on the kinks. That was Nov.!! The advertising is annoying. And as I recall if you want to omit it you have to pay! Disgruntled to put it mildly. Plan to quit the service. And I see I am not the only customer (since the 90's) dissatisfied. If there was a "zero" star I would click on that!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My 80 year old mother could not remember her email password. She was unable to reset it on her AOL account. So I told her to call AOL helpline to reset. Later that day, when we spoke, she informed me that she got her email back after an hour on the phone...and, also, AOL helped her "clean up" her computer...FOR ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE DOLLARS! WHAT? AOL took advantage of a little sweet old lady. She has NO clue about these things. She JUST needed a password reset. AOL STOLE her money.

The new AOL (known as Oath) will now share all of their customer's browsing data for their benefit and take old people's money because Yahoo and AOL are defunct. Please be aware that if you contact them or click on any of their advertising, THIS is their aim...to take your money. If you have an elderly family member on AOL, please set them up with something else or monitor their moves. AOL will, shamelessly, take everything they've got. Human decency is no longer a thought. It's money and greed that is the new policy.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have called AOL 5 times for days. They agreed that I have free account. They have been charging my American Express twice each month for years. I gave them my account number. They said had no record of my charge or account. Told me to call American Express. I have already call American Express to get right account number. I got the account Number that American Express gave me. I gave AOL the account. Said the number was not right. "I already call them," I told AOL THAT. THEY WOULD NOT HELP ME GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND. I need some help. This is not right. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Good God, AOL tech./executive staff didn't care about migrating your favorites from an old version of AOL 9.** desktop software. I was forced to migrate to AOL Shield because I have Windows VISTA (yes, I know it's old). It took years to build up my favorites. I called AOL to see if there is a way to recover my favorites (bookmarks) and they told me "No". Irritating! Talk about P.O. Inexcusable AOL. My contacts and e-mail migrated from AOL 9.** to AOL shield fine. To not have come up with a way to migrate our favorites is inexcusable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I've had AOL since it's inception. It's been free - the desktop version, for years! Now, They are charging for this "supposed NEW, BETTER, desktop version", - The old one worked just FINE! The new version is a complete and total failure! Emails take FOREVER to open, IF they ever do! The ads all over the place, cover content and are a complete nuisance! If I were a lawyer, I'd file a class action suit! Actually, surprised there isn't one as of yet! If I wasn't so computer challenged, I would have already changed over to Gmail, but after having an email account for 23 years... it's a bigger pain!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have used AOL since they started and this gold version should be called anything but gold. I can't even review my e-mails. It hangs up all the time and I have to go to task manager just to shut it down. I am an idiot and have been paying 9.99 a month. NO more, you are finished. I sent numerous e-mails to the helpdesk and nothing. Phone calls, nothing.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

AOL Gold Desktop is more like fool's gold and boy do I feel foolish paying for this. Others have said - it won't do any good to complain. And it won't. AOL and YAHOO were bought by VERIZON earlier this year. We were warned by a techie friend who asked... "Do you think Verizon wants to be in the email business? Or information/news? Don't be surprised if AOL and YAHOO are suddenly gone one day". Those words haunted me to open a Gmail account where I've moved all my business work already.

This GOLD Desktop is one move closer to extinction - as we customers are all in agreement...the software is SLOOOW - even slow by dial-up modem terms. Renders AOL useless for the most part. Seriously, when it takes 2:13 just to logon and open your mailbox, you have to ask WHAT HAPPENED? Response time is about 50% slower than V9.8 And I'm still paying $6.99/month for much less service and dependability? Given the extent of complaints...is anyone going to challenge or even question AOL/VERIZON about it? Sure would be nice to get some sort of an explanation...thru my mailbox. I feel like I've been taken...paying Same price for less...much less. Sorry AOL. Your days are numbered, and that may be just what Verizon wants. Hmmm?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Don't think it will do any good to complain. I see no one has a good thing to say about AOL gold... Everything is delayed when you hit it, I have 5 mails but only see one. It takes 4 min, for AOL gold to open from my desktop... I lost my name when it say you got mail. No more icons or background in mail like before, I can't find one thing good about it, Should of left it the way it was before telling us to get aol gold. Fix all these problems before you make us get this garbage.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Me: AOL Since Sept 1995 (with a master's work INTERFACE DESIGN and user-centered usability of web sites or other digital sources). GOLD is browser-based NOT a standalone software program as before. 1) Personal Filing Cabinet (PFC) used to hold any saved mail, allow for folders to be made such as a folder named Bills, or Friends, Medical-Related, or Stores & Restaurants. a) Cannot access any PDF files for past mail so whatever you saved to have as a reference or matter of record (like an email from Social Security) is no longer available in saved “pfc” files. b) What you saved as a pdf file can NEVER be seen again.

2) SAVE FOLDER AS/Save Folder is available but you can click on it 1,000 times and NO INDICATION pops up to save the folder. a) YOU CAN NEVER save the folder as a back up in case your computer/device fails and you need that saved email folder as a backup. I have saved PFCs on CDs that go back to the 2000’s from family or friends that have passed away and I can NEVER READ them again, because GOLD will not open a saved PDF folder.

3) If you were not logged in you USED to be able to open AOL, write a letter and save it as “Mail Waiting to be Sent” so when you did log in you could send that mail. NO MORE writing an email then saving for later to send. (Sending later means you can re-read before sending, double check for wording errors and so on.) 4) ANY MAIL folders you did have when you install GOLD will either be empty (1.5 hours on aol help phone) AND they are alphabetized. So a folder that says Crucial MEDICAL emails (like from my doctor or health plan) is in the Cs and not at the TOP because it WAS CRITICAL. And no trying can arrange mail folder as YOU WANT, only as the techies that designed this spawn of "bad emails past" want you to see it.

5) Ungodly BOLDED and HUGE windows that take up most of a 21" screen. Cannot drag a corner of a window to make it a size. No resizing means having a GIANT WINDOW that takes up space and requires MAXIMIZING the program so you cannot use other programs at the same time (MS Word, Adobe, or ANY other program) because making AOL GOLD means you can see THEIR windows but not your own.

6) Often, the GOLD BROWSER KEEPS making itself your "default" browser. If you use IE, Firefox, or Opera forget it. All icons in your files will be GOLD unless you change your default browser BACK to what you had. I DO BROWSER SUPPORT so I don't want to hear it is my system, choice of browser, or what have you. 7) I used to tell all my GRADUATE-level students (people 35 to 67 years old) USE AOL because you can save folders and see past emails from others that you need to access for university work. NO MORE. I will not advise using AOL anymore because GOLD is an antiquated version of email. Why step backward? AOL GOLD has gone back to primordial times when the development of email programs was still an ongoing thing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Well, they haven't raised the price (yet), but that seems to be the only good thing about AOL Gold. First of all, AOL is now slower than ever. The new format for emails is almost impossible. When I start to type in the address bar, the letters skip down to the body of the email. The email window is way too small: every time I use it, I have to enlarge it. The AOL celebrity voices are gone, and now I am forced to listen to that annoying little man say,"Welcome" and "You've got mail."

When I sign off that dreadfully annoying little man says, "Goodbye" as if his dog just died. AOL has reduced the number of email fonts to just 11 and one of them appears to be Greek. Like I'm going to use that anytime soon??? I have written to AOL about these issues and more, and all I get from them is corporate psychobabble. When I call them for help with a problem, they are rude and condescending. Less service, frustrating service (rather DIS-service) and all for the same price. Atta way to go AOL. Keep this up and you're gonna lose customers, including me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Forced to upgrade to AOL Gold. Product is slow. Runs constant ads slowing down email loading, writing, sending. Am going to abandon AOL platforms if not rectified soon. I have been a user since almost founding. (Hence my name as an email address.) Works slower every time I use it. Takes forever to delete old mail.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

AOL Gold is nothing they claim it to be. It is slow, full of bugs, appears to be an untested beta version and gone are many features that were very useful with the older 9.8. You no longer get a "Coming Soon" when want to change icons. Now you can only edit the name of the favorite you placed on the top bar. Gone are most of the settings. No desktop settings and colors and your own sounds are not an option. My favorites list looks different every time I open it. You no longer can look at your screen names to see if you have mail in any other screen name. You must log on to each one to see if you have mail. News items don't show up, only the audio is present. You must close it and re-select it. Ads are now everywhere and it slows down the loading more than ever. Very disappointed and may move on.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

AOL Desktop Gold requires users to resize windows every time when opening emails. Program hangs up requiring users to end the program and relaunching it. As of 12/19/2017 AOL emails cannot be accessed on my iPad. I have written to the CEO of AOL: Mr. Tim Armstrong. President AOL. 770 Broadway #4 New York, NY 10003. Suggest you do so as well.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I should have my head examined if I continue paying a monthly subscription fee for AOL. I first started using AOL in the 1990s and I was happy with it. There were times when I even defended AOL against anyone who complained about it. But I've been banging my head against the wall ever since AOL Gold was released. I didn't "upgrade" to Gold until it was absolutely necessary when they ended the previous version. I was hearing too many complaints from others. Ever since I "upgraded" I haven't been able to even use AOL Gold except for maybe 2 times, if that. And even then I had problems.

So I'd just send one email and log off AOL and go back to the Google browser in the 2nd window. For months now that's all I've been using is the Google browser. I have to laugh when I see AOL's ads when I'm using Google to read my AOL email vs. using AOL's own template. The ads tell me about how I can stop seeing the ads if I subscribe...pay another fee to use AOL.com to read my email. Why should I have to pay another fee when I'm already paying AOL? I'm forced to use AOL.com only because of AOL Gold, which is not worth a plug nickel to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

AOL Gold - Unbelievably bad. After the first few problems, I emailed their support team. Their response? They blamed my computer, they blamed my internet provider, they blamed me, they asked if I'd tried turning the computer off and back on (seriously!) In short, they blamed everyone except their own dismal program. Tonight I decided to clean out my email inbox, which had gotten backed up to almost 500 old emails. In the old AOL, I would have highlighted the top email I wanted to save to my computer, hit ctrl/shift/end, which would have highlighted all the rest to the end, then clicked "Save To My PC" and the folder, and hit Enter. It might have taken a couple of minutes if there were a lot, but it got there. Then I could click the Delete key on my keyboard and delete them from my current inbox.

Now? Ctrl/shift/end doesn't work. You can only highlight the emails that actually show up on the screen, about 23 at a time. The "Save To My PC" button works sometimes. Frequently it doesn't. The Delete key on the keyboard no longer works. The entire program freezes after one action. To pare down my inbox from 497 to about 25 took an hour and twenty minutes. It froze constantly and I had to use Ctrl/alt/del to escape. I estimate that I used ctrl/alt/del an average of twice a minute for the entire duration, which comes out to about 150 times.

There were no other programs running. I had rebooted the computer just before I started. It's a new computer with plenty of HD space. All programs are up to date. (This is in case AOL Support actually reads this and is trying to find a way to make the problem my fault.) This is simply an appallingly bad program, and the fact that it has been rammed down our throats with no options except to use it seems like a warning signal. I wouldn't be surprised if AOL didn't suddenly announce that it was ceasing operations as of X-date, and simply fold out from under us.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been an AOL customer since dial-up days of the '90s, have been moderately happy with it, but am now a most unhappy customer. Does AOL care about its users? No. Who in the world thought that AOL Desktop Gold would be an improvement? No one will own up to it. Who in the world thought up the new email situation? Why does it take a while for the new emails to drop into the "NEW" slot. What's with the "OLD" slot? Why, when a photo, etc., is attached it is not accessed separately by the reader instead of the new way of showing the attachments right after the text so that a one page email text turns into a six page email when printed because the attachments are blown up giant size. What happened to the "Insert in Email" icon for the news articles? Who in the world decided to put all Favorites folder content in alphabetical order? Who in the world decided to make AOL Gold run so slowly?  And why?

Who in the world decided to make AOL Gold load slowly even on broadband? It takes me four or more times to click on the icon and hope that the program will load. Who in the world has written or called AOL to complain and received a response? No one. Why do my AOL alerts, from the AOL Calendar, not always show up in my mailbox? On the other hand, there have been days when I received a double dose of my alerts. Three plus years of dealing with the exec techs and the problem still exists. Is AOL Gold worth the monthly fee? No. Am I preparing to move from AOL to another server? You bet. Consumer Affairs says about AOL: "Still going strong: Positive associations and nostalgia for the AOL brand over the decades tend to keep customer engagement high." Anyone believe that?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Horrible -- See other negative reviews and add the fact a very unprofessional person from a 3rd world country claims he must have 20 min remote access to my computer to "fix the problem". No way am I providing 20 min remote access. Ever heard of stealth access? Once he is in you have the false confidence that you can see what they are doing, meanwhile someone else has downloaded all your files then infects your computer with future access codes.

The guys could hardly speak English and there is constant chatter in the background. It sounds as though he is in a kitchen. I called, got a recording and was told "less than 25 min wait", then - HE CALLS ME within 2 minutes from the time I hung up, demanding remote access. The virus known as AOL strikes again - for years it has bogged down my computer, now they want to charge $60 a year for even worse service. Do yourself a favor and transfer your files and emails to Outlook, Gmail or whatever while you can!!!

AOL Company Information