Zurich North America Small Business Insurance

Compare Business Insurance

Research top Business Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Riding my motorcycle behind a car carrier, a piece of a car broke loose and fly up striking the front of the bike. I had no choice but to hang on and attempt to keep the bike upright. After getting the driver pulled over, a witness stopped and stated he was amazed I didn't go down at 70MPH. A police report was filed and I filed a claim. After a few days I get a letter that there didn't have the company as a policy holder. Called the company who had to file a claim. 18 days and no adjuster. They outright lied that he had been there. Then the putz had no clue what he was doing. After a few days later of contacting them, I get a call that they are totaling the bike and they will call back. Three days later and nothing. Phone calls go unanswered.

Black Friday Incident on I-275. On Black Friday morning around 10:00 am, me and my sister entered 275 northbound, headed home. Traveling between West Shore Blvd. and Dale Mabry Hwy. in the center lane, I saw something orange on I-275; the traffic was extremely heavy, everyone driving at a high rate of speed, trying to shop. I could not change lanes to move away from the object, I had no choice but to drive over the orange object and when I did, I heard a loud noise. When I arrived home, I glanced under my car and I could not see anything leaking so I assumed everything was okay. On Saturday when the young man who usually clean my car noticed that on the driver side behind the back seat, the floor had been lifted up, a big dent. Apparently it did more damage than I originally thought.

On Monday, I called the City of Tampa Risk Management and spoke with Pamela ** at 274-8211. I explained to her what happened and she informed me that I needed to contact the FDOT and explain the situation to them as they are the responsible one. I then called them and again explained the situation and they took my name and phone number and told me that someone would be calling me. A few days later, someone called me from FDOT and explained that it would be Skanska and that he would have the contractor give me a call, and if no one calls me within the week I was to call him back - he left his phone number.

A few days later Benjamin from Skanska at **, asked me go and get pictures and mail them to him. I agreed to do that and a day or so later, a young man, an insurance adjuster from Zurich Insurance Co. called and informed me that he was calling on their behalf and asked me to explain the situation to him and I did. He informed me that he understood my situation and asked if I were able to get the object or did I know what the object was. I told him I did not just stop in the middle of I-275 to try and get the object or to even get a better look at the object. As I stated to him the object was orange and I thought it was a cone. However, because of the dent under my car it couldn't have been a plastic cone. He informed me that he felt that the company was not liable because the object could have fallen off anyone's truck, and that I should take this issue up with my insurance company.

I told him that I didn't agree with him and if he could send me a letter stating that his company was not liable for the damage caused to my car on I-275. I just took my car to Lexus Collision and they recommended that I do not drive it, that I immediately go and get a rental car because of the danger to myself and to others on the road. I need to take my car for an estimate and I need to know what the next step is. I will get pictures also. Thank you for your help and cooperation.

After several weeks of waiting, suffering without transportation, borrowing and begging for rides to church and other places, I finally got an email from the FDOT that they were not responsible for my car and that they were referring my claim back to Skanska and Zurich, Phil ** for them to reconsider. After a few more weeks I had not heard anything, so I call Phil and he informed me that he had no information on my claim and referred me to Benjamin, whom I called and he stated that he had no information on my claim so I emailed him all that I had. But then later I realized that I had spoken to Benjamin originally and he did know about my case. Now I feel that I am getting the runaround from FDOT and Zurich Insurance Company.

I emailed Benjamin with no response and later on I got a phone call from Thomas ** saying that they were keeping their original stance that they would not cover my claim, because I could not prove that it was their fault. I called the FDOT and asked them for a letter from them and from Zurich - never received a paper letter from FDOT but was told that they had no money to pay my claim and I know that not to be true. So I had to finally submit a claim to my insurance company whom I appreciate them processing my claim, but I do think that Skanska and their construction and the FDOT is responsible and they need to pay for my claim in the amount of $596.00 to me and over $2,000 to my insurance company.

My wife slipped on a wet floor in our hotel room on our honeymoon. We asked 3 times for the leak to be addressed and the water cleaned up. The carpet was wet. My wife then stepped onto tile floor and slipped, injuring her back. Taken by ambulance to the hospital and upon return to the hotel, we were locked out of our room! My wife was in horrible pain, and all of our belongings were being held hostage! Got security to let us in to get personal items and then refused to relocate to another room until morning. My wife spent the remainder of our honeymoon in bed. Could not return early as She could not sit for any length of time.

The hotel claimed negligence. Referred us to Zurich for settlement. The trip we saved for a year to take was ruined. We get no customer service. Calls are not returned. The associates blatantly lie. The claims adjusters keep asking for information that has no bearing on the claim. They work hard to avoid their customers. They obviously have no intention of paying. But we will fight as long as we have to. They don't care about their customers or the injuries they sustained, even when the hotel admits they made a mistake! They want medical records from doctors BEFORE the incident happened! My private medical records are none of their concern! Stop jerking us around, Laura ** and Pay UP!!

Movers brought a refrigerator ordered from Sears. Gouged our newly-painted wall and dragged the fridge across newly-installed hardwood floor until I told them to stop. Got in touch with the insurance agent which was Zurich. They sent an adjuster. Showed him the floor and pictures of floor. Received a letter of rejection before the adjuster submitted his findings. Called manager, Dan **, and he told me I was rejected because the movers denied they did it. That's all it took - a denial by movers. What's the point of proof? Be careful. Never will order from Sears. Will always check if Zurich is the insurer.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Zurich North American provides commercial insurance for large and small businesses. The company has been in business for over 100 years and works with clients all over North America.

• Variety of plans: Zurich offers a range of coverages, including property, various liability coverages and workers’ comp in certain states.
  • Competitive pricing: Zurich can save your business money by providing low rates, quickly and efficiently through online, automated systems.
  • Online services: The company maintains a secure and up-to-date website to help customers connect with over 12,000 independent agents across the country. Since the company does not have brick-and-mortar captive agencies, the insurer makes it simpler for customers to access help online.
  • Payment options: Zurich makes it easy to pay for insurance by connecting their bank accounts online or by using a check or credit card.
  • Best for Companies that have specialty business insurance needs in addition to property and general liability, such as commercial vehicle insurance and builder risk.

Compare Business Insurance