1.29/5

331 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am nine months pregnant. About 6 weeks ago, I began to have issues with my right hand. My job is all typing so this was a problem. The pain was constant. The ER said a sprain, my PCP just said keep it in the brace for 10 days. After 10 days, it was significantly worse. Went to Urgent Care and they diagnosed pregnancy induced carpal tunnel.

Later on the same week, I found out I have gestational diabetes on top of it. This is actually more of a cause and effect type thing just backwards as GD can cause the carpal tunnel. Few days later, losing the use of my right arm for helping me out of bed gets me in hospital with a bleed from straining to get up. All the while, I am in dire pain. I can only take ** and it doesn't touch the pain. I see a surgeon and tell him about my wrist and an unrelated lump under my arm. He cannot do the wrist. Lump needs surgery after my daughter is born. Carpal gets referred to orthopedic surgeon... at the earliest date of a month later.

Two more hospital visits, OB appointments are now monitoring me an hour every week. Working on my therapy for my perinatal depression. Now, I have carpal in both hands, which was a 50/50 shot anyways. Doc puts me on light bed rest for slightly elevated BP and the fact that my diet has to be very monitored and regulated. I also have informed UNUM of every thing that has put me in and out of the hospital. Today, they denied my short term disability. I haven't had money in almost 2 months. I am going to be homeless and car-less thanks to them. I have no one to borrow the money from.

I paid them to protect me well before this was ever an issue. Now, 3 weeks from being induced because of my GD, I have this to cope with. There is no help in the picture and all of this for what will be lucky to be 600 a month. I hope they like lawyers because not only did I insure against unplanned health problems but I insured against law problems too. I am an insurance agent. Not stupid.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My husband had a heart even a couple months ago which resulted in him having a coronary artery bypass graft. I was told each of the 5 times I called to inquires about the paperwork and ask questions that due to him having this surgery he would receive a lump sum of 15k. A few weeks later, we received a check for 5G with a letter stating there had to be the specific diagnosis of a heart attack which was never told to me any of the 5 times I called. We were also told his employer chose that he would receive 100% of his pay for his short term disability when in reality, he isn't getting half of what one of his paychecks were and we have to pay in more than what we are getting for his insurance, etc. I have called numerous times and each time I was given incorrect information to which they refuse to make right with anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have paid into this long term disability insurance for about 20 years. Now that I need it, I am having to still hassle with getting paid. I have given them everything that they have requested and yet I have not received anything. Another issue is that apparently they do not pay the 60% as first said they would, now they are telling me that they have to take into consideration other payments that I may be receiving (ie: state disability) and they will then decide how much I am entitled to. If I had known this I would have shopped for another insurance coverage that is reliable. AFLAC is a great choice, my peers that I work with have NOT had any problems getting paid from AFLAC. Do NOT subscribe to UNUM.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Their STD calculations are just plain wrong. Their formulation is set to pay the least amount they can get away with. They use your monthly salary times 12 months divided by 52 weeks and then take 70% of that amount (per the contract we are paid 70% of our monthly salary). I am salaried so I get the same amount each month regardless of how many weeks in a month there are. I calculated it at my monthly times the 70% and divided that by 4 weeks. The difference was a few hundred dollars.

On top of that they said they calculated it wrong. They based it on the same formulation I calculated it at (so even they know they're scamming people) and now I owe back most of the money I received because I was overpaid the weekly amount AND paid for 4 weeks when I should have been paid for 2 (there is a 30 day ineligibility wait period they conveniently forgot about). I received the money AFTER I returned to work after 6 weeks of STD (FMLA leave). This was my first claim ever and I have been with this company for years through my employer. Not even worth the headache for the few cents they do pay IF they pay.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My experience with Unum has been mixed. About 20 years ago, I had disability insurance that paid a sum for in hospital days. I was at MD Anderson for 31 days. The company paid my claim with no problem. Fast forward to 3 years ago. I filed disability because of complications from radiation damage for cancer treatment. For the past 2 years, my offset specialist has been bullying me to retire so Unum can reduce their monthly payment. I kept telling him that I was not eligible because of the Rule of 80, age plus years of service have to equal 80. He even went so far as to take money from my account as a way of forcing me to file!

Please understand that I could NOT file because not eligible. Once again money was taken even though I was just eligible on my birthday **. I did file on September 20th in Austin. Now he refuses to pay back the money they took in August even though I won't get my first check until November! I am overdrawn by $200 and have no gas and only $15 in cash. But they don’t care. Who bullies a 64 disabled school teacher? UNUM! This has caused so much stress and depression. I was hospitalized this weekend due to bleeding because of stress on my body. Shame on Unum! Learn the requirements of your various states retirement rules before you start messing with people’s money. Do your homework!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was rear-ended at red lights 3 times in a one-week period, leaving me with spinal injuries that made me scarcely capable of doing Anything other than lying down for 2 months straight! I qualify for their long-term Disability payments but only requested 3 months worth because I can figure out a way to work now and only need to lie down in the middle of the day for about 30 minutes usually, glory to God! UNUM, however, made up false excuses to deny my claim and appeal. I could have bought my daughter braces with the money I wasted on monthly premiums! UNUM plays an immoral game. Don't sign up!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I got this insurance thru work at WellStar Health System. I'm a very athletic person and play tennis and badminton 3-4 times a week. For the past few months my right knee is bothering me so I decided to see an orthopedic surgeon. He ordered an MRI and found out I have torn lateral meniscus. Last July 7th, I had right meniscectomy at the hospital where I work. After the surgery I filed a claim for accidental insurance but UNUM declined my claim saying that is not caused by an accident. I'm am very sure that I torn my meniscus from playing and not by just sleeping. I submitted all the documents related to my injury like MD chart records, MRI, bills and etc but still it was declined again. Now they told me to file an appeal which is very frustrating. The only thing I can say is that PLEASEEEE don't sign up on this company. I heard Allstate is way better than them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchased the LTC policy when I was 57. I am now 80 so I have paid many, many premiums since its inception. It was the best option, I was told, for a widow. The policy was $1900 per year. Three years ago, the policy increased and I now pay $3400 per year. This coming year it will increase to $4000. I was told that the cost would never increase. However, the cost can increase if the "class of insurance was allowed to increase by the state." I bought the policy in New York State. My experience is the same as Doris of Easthampton, MD. and, yes, that state had allowed the "class" to increase. That clause is in the written policy but was never mentioned by the representative. I now have my Series 6 & 7 license and understand these things better but that does not help with the much higher premium! I am just hoping that I will receive the benefits that are promised in the LTC policy.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and after repeated discussions with my family and dr I decided to take continuous leave from work. I have been enrolled in a Unum short term disability policy through my employer for a while and immediately filed a claim. I found the process to be super easy with Unum's app and my CSR interactions on the phone were pleasant and accurate. I received my first payment today. I read some of the reviews on this site and was a little worried, but I wanted to share my experience to help give someone else hope during a trying time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

In February my Dr put me on medical leave for nerve damage in my arm. My employer paid me the 12 weeks of short-term and in April before my short term ran out I had filed for long term. While waiting for a check they informed me in mid June that they had no record of me filing for long term. Finally after an hour on the phone I was told it would be reviewed and I should receive something within 45 days.

When I called back a month later I was told my Dr wasn't responding to information requests. I called the Dr and was advised that they never received any requests for information. Unum then called me stating that my authorization form had expired and they overlooked it. I signed new forms and returned them. I received a letter stating I was approved and as soon as they received my payroll information from my employer I would be getting a check. My employer sent in that information quite some time ago and I have yet to receive a dime after 3 months.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

If you value the reasons for disability ins. Do not use this co. History of illegal claim dismissal. Willful misrepresentation of court procedures. Total disregard for client, facts, medical precedent. This behavior spans decades, repeated violations. Documented. The only value a client has, is how much they can gain from you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had taken out a life insurance policy on my husband during open enrollment at my then employer. I was advised that his coverage was guaranteed for $50,000 with no medical questions asked. He unfortunately died from a heart attack. Initially Unum wanted me to open a bank account in New York so they could deposit the payment. I advised them I already had a bank account and they could deposit into that or send me a cashiers check. They responded that was not their policy. I then received a phone call from them asking all kinds of questions. One being was my husband receiving a disability check. When I told them he had been they responded that they don't pay for someone on disability until they are no longer disabled. I hired an attorney and Unum would never respond to his calls. Don't get scammed the way I did.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had an accident the first week in June. I have UNUM through my work benefits that I pay a significant amount for every pay period. My claim has been approved for over 2 weeks but I have to receive any money. Every day the rep will call me & say it will be direct deposited today. And every day he has another excuse as to why it hasn’t been paid. I have been out 7 weeks so far & have to receive any payment despite my claim being approved. They take forever to pay you so you have to go back to work sooner than your Dr ordered. That is their business. Yesterday I talked to 3 different reps & I heard 3 different stories as to yet why my claim hasn’t been paid anything. Do yourself a favor & instead of electing a short term disability company, put that money aside & use that for your time. Because you will never receive any payment from UNUM. At this point I think contacting an attorney is my only option. UNUM stands for yoU will Never get yoUr Money.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I obtained STD July 2017 as part of benefit package with my job. A standard selection STD, LTD, etc. In early 2018 a doctor discovered that my hernia needed to be repaired. A surgery I had in 2013 during another unexpected major surgery. Over 4 years later, the doctor discovers that my hernia has ruptured. The previous surgery was an elective so, I was planning to use vacation and involuntary "change over", but found out the hernia needed to be repaired, which would be a 6 week recovery. Had the surgery 06/21/2018. I went back to work 07/09/2018 because the claim was still pending from June. It is 07/23/2018 they have been contacting physicians to obtain information to confirm that I had not been treated in the prior 12 months before securing STD benefits.

Did I mention the benefit selection was for a new job? Still nothing to concerning because I had not received any treatment. The issue is that they have not paid me, although it was a 7 day elimination period, since I filed the claim. I am back to work and lost money that is needed for my household. Unum's has not made a decision and asked that I contact the doctors to let them know they need to return the forms. Well, Unum, the doctors are not my primary physicians. These are the doctors I have seen when there was a medical issue, other than a hernia, i.e. cold, women issues, etc. All of which were related to something entirely different than concerning a hernia.

Stay away from Unum or strategically schedule surgeries because had I waited to have the surgery in July, 2018 the 12 month pre-existing research may have been avoided. However, I am not too sure because the practice to scrutinize a hernia repair that was as much as surprise to me, has become a reason not to pay because it ruptured after 4 years and only one doctor caught it. The saddest part is that I contacted Unum a couple months before to ask about my STD for electing to take care of the hernia because I knew the recovery time was longer than the procedure I was initially going to have done at my own opportunity cost of vacation time. To date, still nothing. "Pending" I have been back to work longer than I took off to have the procedure.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Where do I start? Unum is by far the worst outsourced company I have ever experienced. I've been out of work since June 8th 2018 and have yet to receive my first paycheck. Between the hundreds of documents that they need sent in to each Customer Service Rep telling you something different each time you call. Is it a training issue or what? But they don't even care about one's livelihood.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I went out to my mailbox today and there was a plain envelope there from Tennessee. So I opened it to find this check Dated July 2, 2018. In reading the computer printout, it stated: California Teachers Assn. dated October 2, 2000. That is the date of my Mother’s death. Why does it take 18 years to pay off a life insurance Claim??? I think these are corrupt pigs who stole most of this life insurance from me. No way to prove that because Mom's files have long since been dumped (what the insurance company was counting on!) DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE RATS!

Original review: June 30, 2018

My husband and I were in an auto accident and we were rushed to the hospital by ambulance, due to severe back pain and other injuries sustained, we were treated, I had to have an X Ray and CT scan and the same with my husband as well. Because of the airbag, my eyes were swollen shut. I had lacerations on my forearms and we were bruised badly. They gave us such a runaround about getting to them a physician's statement and proof of treatment, bills mounted to thousands of dollars, my health insurance paid some but not all, and found that they are only approved me for $350 and my husband only $150... That doesn't even cover anything at all. What a rip off this is. I would recommend anyone NOT to get this accident insurance, next time, I will try AFLAC and see if they are somewhat better.

Original review: June 16, 2018

After a recent heart attack I decided to use the Critical Illness Policy I have been paying for through my employer. After reading reviews on this site, I was skeptical of ever receiving any benefits, but applied anyway. The Unum reps I called and spoke to for information, were very helpful and assisted me through the entire process, especially with submitting the required documentation. Yesterday (less than 30 days after I applied) I received the critical illness payment as promised on my policy along with other payments for treatments received during my emergency room stay. This payment helped me to pay off my annual insurance deductible and also helped with co-pays for follow up care. Thank you Unum for delivering the product I have been paying for.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I've been on disability since May 3rd. As of June 9th I'm still waiting for a payment. They sent my first checks to the wrong address. When I called and complained I got the runaround about talking to my case manager who if actually does exist leaves work early and doesn't answer calls after 10 A.M. Finally got ahold of their manager and was instantly hung up on 'cause I have no right to be upset. I've waiting so long for a payment that I can't buy groceries or pay my rent. One of the most unprofessional companies I've ever dealt with. E-mail scammers are more organized and professional than these people.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Run for your life. Seriously. So I needed a deep cleaning to prevent gum disease. My gums were clearly receding, my teeth clearly needed more than just a regular cleaning. Frankly, I've finally found a great dentist who cares about the long term health of my teeth. Wish I could say the same about the insurance. I had UNUM through my employer (yes, had, because they dropped that nightmare of insurance this year and switched to something else). My dentist estimated the expense of the procedure, and I paid my part. Everything was great, my gums and teeth looked and felt fantastic. But then UNUM decided that based on the X-Rays my tooth decay wasn't sufficient enough for a deep cleaning. Literally. So they declined to pay their part. My dentist has to re-submit everything over and over, but still the result was the same: "not enough of decay". Really? What is "enough"? Teeth falling out? Deep cleaning is supposed to prevent that.

This is not only frustrating, but also plain stupid: I've prevented a way larger claim. Would you rather have a claim for gum disease treatment or root canal work? I don't think so. Today I received that final bill. They refused to pay what they were supposed to... it has been 2 years of negotiations between UNUM and my dental office (by the way, all IN NETWORK). If you are looking for a personal coverage - don't consider UNUM. If you are an employer, please do your employees a favor and look for a better insurance provider. As I mentioned, my employer dropped them this year. Best decision ever.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I was originally on FMLA due to a medical condition and was scheduled to return to work on May 13th. My doctor subsequently extended my return to work by 6 weeks. Unum was very difficult to work with and took over three weeks to issue payment on the first part of my absence. Despite providing the necessary information for my extension prior to May 13th they have not issued a payment for the second portion of my absence. I have repeatedly been told they have 5 days to do this and 5 days to do that. Despite having received the last information they requested 5 days ago I was just told they need more time to evaluate my situation. I purchased this insurance through my employer. Unfortunately this is the only choice I have.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My daughter was in MICU for a week. My granddaughter has been in NICU for 3 weeks. I requested 1 week off. In order for me to get back to work I need the FMLA application approved. When I filed the application, Unum told me it would take a couple days and that I would be back to work the next Monday. It's been 3 weeks. Today I finally hear from them. They asked me if I started back work on the 7th. I reminded them I was waiting on the application to get approved. Then they acted like they remembered and told me that they were waiting on information from the hospital and for me to send them the paperwork back that they sent.

I never received a call or paperwork so I asked what address they had. They had the street address but forgot to put down the unit number. There's 420 units. Now I have to do their job, contact the doctor, gather information and wait for them to resend the paperwork. My family depends on my income. 3 weeks so far without pay and counting. I checked other reviews and it's really disappointing that my company would hire Unum to do anything especially when it's something so important.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am on STD due to an accident and worsening health because of it. My company has been supportive about approving my leave, however UNUM is a nightmare to work with. I have been faithful in providing documentation to them on a regular basis, as have my doctors. I have even done more than asked several times in order to give them warm and fuzzies. Yet, they bother my doctors non-stop to get every single piece of documentation there is. They also make me jump through hoops--with various evaluations even though they have plenty of evidence from doctors. Once I jump through one hoop -- they ask for the next hoop. Here is the deal with UNUM. They seem to be an organizational mess. Their website is rudimentary and sloppily designed. You put information out there (e.g., doctor names/addresses) and they seem to ignore it and dredge up old addresses from ten years ago.

They don't seem to read what I send them and have no inclination or ability to understand the big picture. When we do send too much medical evidence--they complain and need more time. They don't seem to have real clinical knowledge about medical conditions--so they have unrealistic expectations for recovery and ask dumb questions (like why aren't you all better after six months of treatment). The worst part is they continuously HOLD UP PAYMENTS. They chop the STD into small durations and STOP COVERING you until they get the next set of documents and leisurely make their decisions to continue your disability payments. Meanwhile they create a perfect financial storm for their beneficiaries. I hate to say it but I believe all disability programs including the federal government are intentionally this way.

There is no time to heal when you are on disability. You are too busy jumping through expensive hoops, convincing them you are not lying, and convincing your providers to fill out their prolific, poorly designed forms and providing them with volumes of information. I hired an attorney because I can read the writing on the wall about how they will make my life hell during LTD. Disability (and workman's comp) insurers and administrators like this are ruining the healthcare system. Because they are sloppy, inefficient and insincere if their efforts to pay for benefits, doctors don't want to participate in any sort of case that may involve disability, beneficiaries are financially ruined, and this is becoming a system that can't operate without attorneys. One can only hope ALL of them have to experience disability at some point and reap what they sow.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I am an Accounts Payable Administrator and am responsible for scheduling payment for our disability invoices that we receive from UNUM. These invoices always arrive late compared to our other insurance companies, calls are barely returned and come days later. Their e-mail system is extremely user unfriendly. I have spoken to two representatives and in both situations have found them to be rude and unprofessional. Our subscribers have complained of poor treatment and wait time for claims. Thank goodness there are many more options for employers to choose alternative disability insurance with a company that will provide better customer service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have paid into UNUM disability insurance for 11 years, first time filing a claim has been the worst experience ever. The assigned claim manager never calls back, have been fighting my claim for payment for almost a month when there is documentation on file. Had to call for a manager, took a week to get a call back after I called twice and left messages complaining. I will be canceling my policy with them, not recommending this company. They do not have your best interest at heart, they just want your money, and have no desire to help when you need it the most.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’ve never taken off from work under FMLA until my mother was placed into hospice care after fighting Stage IV metastatic cancer for over 5 years. I was immobilized with grief and anxiety throughout the entire process of helplessly waiting for her to die. Unum is still “processing” my claim! I’m about to return to work next week and they still haven’t decided to pay me or not. No one should be expected to go through all of this at a time when they’re unable to cope with anything. Even getting out of bed has been a struggle. My employer has been 100% supportive but this insurance company is ridiculous!

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is the worst insurance company I’ve dealt with my entire life. I had emergency surgery and filed my claim (short term disability) a week before, they still haven’t fixed their mess! My surgery was 2/19, they placed me “back to work” 3/2. I am not cleared until 4/2 and they keep giving me the runaround! Just because you can’t work, doesn’t mean your bills stop!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have paid for Unum long term disability insurance for 6 years. I recently filed benefits. Was denied because they have a 180 day limit of which you have to file in. This was not in place when policy was purchased. They suck.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My rep on my insurance claim never calls me back. Cannot find out anything about my claim. Cannot get on to the website. The website is so poorly done I could not even register to find out about my claim. I'm so frustrated with this whole company is unreal. You can't even get ahold of the operator 'cause she's always busy and you get cut off. You cannot get ahold of this company. It's horrible. And when you're sick and, or recovering from a major surgery who wants to deal with this.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They are very hostile if you extend the FMLA. In the beginning they were quite cordial however once I had to extend the FMLA per doctor's orders, I received a quite hostile phone call. I was asked in a stern and accusatory voice: "What is the hold up for going to work?" "What is wrong?' "Has your doctor changed your medication then since you are incapable of going to work?" "But you are able to take care of your child, clean around the home and go to the grocery store right?"

I felt accused and accosted in a corner. I felt like I had done something wrong. I have worked 20 years and have never taken FMLA. I was taken aback and disgusted by the UNUM customer service.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky