1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

307 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

I have paid into UNUM disability insurance for 11 years, first time filing a claim has been the worst experience ever. The assigned claim manager never calls back, have been fighting my claim for payment for almost a month when there is documentation on file. Had to call for a manager, took a week to get a call back after I called twice and left messages complaining. I will be canceling my policy with them, not recommending this company. They do not have your best interest at heart, they just want your money, and have no desire to help when you need it the most.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’ve never taken off from work under FMLA until my mother was placed into hospice care after fighting Stage IV metastatic cancer for over 5 years. I was immobilized with grief and anxiety throughout the entire process of helplessly waiting for her to die. Unum is still “processing” my claim! I’m about to return to work next week and they still haven’t decided to pay me or not. No one should be expected to go through all of this at a time when they’re unable to cope with anything. Even getting out of bed has been a struggle. My employer has been 100% supportive but this insurance company is ridiculous!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is the worst insurance company I’ve dealt with my entire life. I had emergency surgery and filed my claim (short term disability) a week before, they still haven’t fixed their mess! My surgery was 2/19, they placed me “back to work” 3/2. I am not cleared until 4/2 and they keep giving me the runaround! Just because you can’t work, doesn’t mean your bills stop!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have paid for Unum long term disability insurance for 6 years. I recently filed benefits. Was denied because they have a 180 day limit of which you have to file in. This was not in place when policy was purchased. They suck.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My rep on my insurance claim never calls me back. Cannot find out anything about my claim. Cannot get on to the website. The website is so poorly done I could not even register to find out about my claim. I'm so frustrated with this whole company is unreal. You can't even get ahold of the operator 'cause she's always busy and you get cut off. You cannot get ahold of this company. It's horrible. And when you're sick and, or recovering from a major surgery who wants to deal with this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: March 1, 2018 They are very hostile if you extend the FMLA. In the beginning they were quite cordial however once I had to extend the FMLA per doctor's orders, I received a quite hostile phone call. I was asked in a stern and accusatory voice: "What is the hold up for going to work?" "What is wrong?' "Has your doctor changed your medication then since you are incapable of going to work?" "But you are able to take care of your child, clean around the home and go to the grocery store right?"

I felt accused and accosted in a corner. I felt like I had done something wrong. I have worked 20 years and have never taken FMLA. I was taken aback and disgusted by the UNUM customer service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This client was employed with a company for over 10 years working many days sick. I’m typing this review for her because she has poor vision. However, UNUM finally awarded her benefits for 6 months, after 3, of her physicians signed off declaring her disabled to continue her benefits. This client went 2 years going to neurologist and other doctors being misdiagnosed. After a near death experience and vision loss and increased intracranial hypertension diagnosis that causes daily headaches. The headaches intensifies so badly that the client is unable to participate in daily activities because leaning forward, lying in bed, are a few of the things that makes the headache pain intensify. She has to have help with bathing because of frequent falls.

The client's vision is so bad she is unable to drive. She is unable to watch TV, interact with her kids. Her mom and other family members help with her activities of daily living and she has 2 small kids. She has applied for state level disability. Unum has notified her that a nonmedical representative will come to her home to interview her before further decisions and payments can be made. How can nonmedical personnel decide on medical decisions. An attorney will be present. This is ridiculous. She has always worked as a nurse and would love to return to work now but her condition is not going to allow it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I bought this Hospital Indemnity Insurance through my company. Total waste of money. My child went in for Brain surgery for 3 days and they refused to pay. They said that her surgery was due to a pre-existing illness because she has Epilepsy, so for that reason they refused to pay. This set me back quite a bit because I had to take off of work to take care of her. They told me that I had to be with them for a year before they would consider paying. Actually they are just a ripoff but they continue to take my payments but no service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

On Dec 10th I had a very bad case of vertigo which caused me to have an anxiety attack. I called my husband home from work to take me to the ER. I couldn't walk without help because of everything spinning. I was fine for a few days and went back to work and had another attack on Dec 20th, I was at work and called my doctor to see if I could come in. I go in and I tell him I have vertigo and everything is spinning, he tells me that I can't go to work like that, so he took me off work until Jan 18th.

I was still having the vertigo about every other day or so. I went back to my doctor on the 16th of Jan and told him that I was still having the vertigo and the anxiety attacks so he said he wanted to get to the bottom of this and took me off work until March 13th. I haven't received a check since I've been off from Unum, so I called and they said that they don't pay on mental disorders. I told the guy that vertigo is not a mental disorder and that I had never had panic attacks or anxiety attacks unroll I started having vertigo. He told me I could appeal it. I will appeal it once I get my letter.

I just think this is a way for them not to pay me. Vertigo is a condition that comes on without warning and it can cause panic attacks because you're so dizzy and can't control it. I need my money, I pay into this and it's not right. I didn't tell the doctor to take me off, he said he wanted to make sure there wasn't underlying problems, so I have to go to a cardiologist and wear a heart monitor and pray that it has nothing to do with my heart, but all this stress is uncalled for. I don't have a mental illness, I have VERTIGO that can cause anxiety and panicky attacks. There is a big difference.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been trying to receive my benefits due to injury. On 3 Sept. 2017 I was injured in my spinal column and have been out of work for over 4 months. My employer sent appropriate paperwork to get benefits started and Unum sent me forms. It took my employer several days to get me in to see their clinic although ER stated no return to work but needed to see ortho and MRI and follow up. The doctor said I could return to light duty without MRI then I had my MRI results came back with several herniated discs. I returned to ask doctor about treatment and made him knowledgeable that insurance company had no scheduled ortho and neither did they and was in severe pain. He decided upon reading results to take me out of work till ortho can see me for further review...

I'm still waiting till 29th of month to finally see doc in pain and barely mobile without mass assistance of extremely strong prescription meds. I sent all paperwork to Unum and I hadn't heard anything. Several weeks go by and next thing I know I get another paper packet so I call. They say, "Never received" so I faxed this time.

In this time frame I had spoke to several people whom said I would get paid usually within 5 days after papers received. I called to ask if they were received and told yes and as we were reviewing papers received I told rep about doctor at clinic refuse to fill out statement but had sent copy of last visit removing me till further review and I was told that should be plenty... She said she would have case manager call me back to discuss if they needed anything else when the case manager called me back.

She was reviewing the forms with me and then states, "Oh you were here at work. Well we don't cover that. That your insurance would only cover if you were hurt anywhere else basically." I said, "Excuse me ma'am. My company sent everything over who the insurance is through and deducted through my paychecks to you and I was told several times over the phone as soon as the paperwork was fully filled out that the claim would be processed" and I would be receiving payment pretty fast and then now I'm being told that my claim is being denied because it happened at work and my workman's comp is responsible for paying my money and they are not do anything.

So I asked to speak to her supervisor and her supervisor calls me claiming the same thing that the policy doesn't cover if you were hurt at work yet my employer themselves who is head of the workman's comp sent the paperwork over to them and had also told me that it would cover most likely only be additional one-third pay to go to at the 2/3 pay of workman's comp. Apparently the supervisor had claimed that she have spoke with my employer's office saying that I was upset my payout was only supposed to be for up to 13 weeks.

I have been out of work for over 18 weeks. They are due the full payout. I have met plenty of medical proof and have paid my benefit every week and was told that everything would be fine as soon as I receive the paperwork and then as soon as they receive the paperwork told me they were denying my claim and that I can appeal it but they weren't going to do anything about it. I told them I was going to let everybody I know that I work with the same thing about all this that I have been reading and I will make sure that everybody that I can pulls their benefits from them as well as I will be posting this all over social media. When I told the lady on the phone about that she said that she will be getting in touch with their Communications expert. Apparently going to try to block me from letting people know what this company has been doing to people.

I will be calling that state head insurance. I'm going to be calling an attorney and I could care less if I see a penny out of this and the attorney gets every bit of it. Unum needs to be shut down. They need to pay back the people they owe money for and CEOs need to go to jail actually. I actually read on another site on Facebook where the company was found to have a denial quota and that they were found guilty and fined millions of dollars and are still doing it today. They were told to review over 200,000 cases and go back and pay people back and have done not even 10% of that. The government continues to let them operate even though they know that this company is a total fraud. There will be media. There will be repercussions.

I may be only one person but through all these other post I see there are many and I have read places that there are class action suits against Unum. I encourage everybody on here to look up those class action suit and find your Justice. Let's shut them down people. This company should not exist any longer messing with the small man. It's total thievery.

We know that insurance companies ain't in the habit of wanting to pay most of the time but when people have every bit of their paperwork and have done everything they're supposed to do and have proof that they have been hurt and were sold a policy that insurance company should pay. That's what your insurance company is there for to have your back and any company that is selling insurance to their employees that they know is this bad and have such a bad rating might be a company you want to take a second look at keeping a career with because they obviously don't care if you were to get hurt you would be of no use to them any further.

My advice spread the word through any social media and through any internet site you can. I will be doing the same and I will be making as many phone calls as I can because I have nothing but time on my hands due to the fact I'm sitting here waiting to even start healing. I will try to do what I can for the rest of you that have been wronged.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I am 67 and according to UNUM my policy is up and they consider me no longer disabled. (even though I am still with the same disability). UNUM informed me the $180 a month long term disability payments from UNUM have stopped as of my last birthday. These payments were not given to me, instead were held by them to pay back the workers comp monies I received upon losing my job. They explained Unum no longer owes me any more money that can be applied to the "debt I owe".

There is a $19,000 + amount due and they are requesting payment in full. The State of Florida still considers me disabled, but Social Security does not. Unum never placed a lien on me when I received my Social Security back benefits, they just sent me a collection letter. I writing this review because this kind of policy situation puts an insurance company in full control of my life... very scary and there should be a better way to handle disability claims. I still can't work and the little money I do have is crucial to my well being, certainly need it more than UNUM.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I see the same complaints here over and over about UNUM claiming not to receive doctor notes. I can assure you I have followed up over and over again throughout my experience so far with UNUM and they make this claim even when you have proof that records were sent. Throughout the short-term process I would go 4-5 weeks at times without pay while they claimed to not receive documents. I follow up with the doctor's offices and they have dates and times documents were sent via fax and then we find out they now want them faxed to a different number. This was a game that happened over and over again. I honestly believe they do this to try to run out the clock on your claim so they can justify denying it.

Now I am about 9 weeks without pay again, transitioning over to long-term and AGAIN they are claiming to be missing documents even though I called in to speak with representatives about the transition from short to long-term and was assured they had all my medical records and it should not be an issue. Well they came back and have re-requested ALL of the same documents over and over again with my doctors... One of them even giving up faxing them and instead sent them overnight through UPS with a signature confirmation for proof that they were received. No wonder our medical costs are so high when you have insurance companies being so horrible at their jobs or blatantly doing these things on purpose! I do not know about most of you but not many people have a 4-6 month nest egg sitting there to cover all your bills and such when these companies play these games with our lives.

My automobile has already been repossessed now and my home is in jeopardy next! I had to make tough choices, keep my lights on, get groceries, fill medications and pay for doctor visits or keep my car. And now this month, NO Christmas here at our house and literally no food next month it seems! Go over to the UNUM Facebook page and share your stories, I have more friends/followers than they do and the only posts on their page are mostly negative... I had to do a lot of searching to find this page and I feel we all need to get our stories/experiences out there in social media to expose these kinds of practices!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

When my spouse bought long term care insurance nearly 20 years ago, she was guaranteed that rates would "never" increase. Her annual premium in 1999 was $1,963. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has allowed them to increase rates so that the annual premium is $2,799. Now they are allowing another 40% increase to $3,912 per year. My spouse is now 75 years old. This 40% increase is unconscionable given the number of years she has paid into the insurance plan. Social Security certainly isn't going to go up 40%. I simply do not understand why this is not treated as a legal breach of contract. Another case of Massachusetts failing to protect consumers and the elderly against predatory business practices.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a very rare disease called desmoid tumor. It’s like cancer but does not spread throughout the body but reoccurs aggressively. I have had 2 surgeries since 8/21/17. Just had my last one Dec 11/17. I was off for 7 wks and did not receive a pay check. I call everyday. They always have a different story. I was in Hospital and just got out 12/13/17. I called them because still no money. After being admitted and drainage tubes and my spine being operated on still no money. My pcp fills everything out numerous times. I told chole ** that and no sooner I hung up the phone I looked at my app for Unum and she closed my claim. I’m stuck with this disease and my child gets nothing for Xmas not to mention I’m backed up on bills and don’t get me started on my medical bills. WORSE COMPANY EVER!!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

By NOT allowing individuals to cancel the policy during open enrollment, via online enrollment sites (like Benetrac), and forcing subscribers to "call" Unum (so no documentation exists) - you're trying to scam individuals into not being able to cancel their policies. I'm cancelling because the customer service was DIFFICULT at best - making it extremely hard to file a 'valid' claim - this is NOT an insurance company I want to deal with on ANY policy. AIG, State Farm & Amica are all SUPERIOR at customer service, therefore, they will get my life insurance, accident insurance and anything else I can eliminate from Unum. Sad Company...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I bought Unum short-term disability insurance through my company 2 years ago. I needed my breast implants removed due to capsular contraction/scar formation (which is eligible for insurance coverage). After my application was processed, I went online to see that my case has been closed with a $6000 benefit, I was on disability for a total of 6 weeks with a 14-day eligibility period. I called to ask when the benefits will be mailed. The agent stated, yes, I qualified for benefits but no $ will be issued to me. They are 'actually managing my disability leave with my company'. How can a monetary amount be assigned to my case and no $ sent to me?

If they really assisted with managing my disability leave with my company, I was being paid by my own company with my OWN SICK DAYS. My 110 hour sick time ran out, despite my 220 hours of PTO, I only got paid 4 weeks of pay, I received NO paycheck by weeks 5 and 6. This caused my mortgage payment to be short, I was penalized, in addition to my $600 worth of NSF nonsufficient fund fees at $30 per transaction on all my autobill pays due the rest of my sick days.

To say that they're not sending me my benefits due to them managing my disability is plain BOGUS. Where's my benefits? That could have easily gotten me out of this financial mess! That was Unum's selling point! That they are in business to 'take care of what matters most' when you are disabled. Unum, just close shop! This company is run by crooks! I am due to renew my insurance plans next month and I will cancel my coverage with them. Their business is a joke! People need to know not to waste their hard earned money with them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a long time customer of Unum Life Insurance. I purchased a term life insurance policy when I left my employer in 2001. It started out as a 57K Life insurance policy, and the rates have gone up exponentially every 5 years. This year because I am turning 65 my rates went up $350.00. When I turn 70 my benefits are cut in half. What kind of business is this? That forces people to pay an enormous amount for life insurance and then turns around and cuts your benefits in half. I wish I had stock in this company or was a CEO, I would be a millionaire. Don't get sucked into their life insurance policies - not worth it in the long run.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Don't get cancer and need treatment. I have paid for 4 years at my company and everything from the doctors, hospital, and everyone have been submitted. I started infusions last week and feel horrible. I would like to take my short term but they have denied my FMLA stating "I have only worked for the company for 7 months". REALLY!!! This company is a joke! No one ever responds or knows what is going on!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

After having hand surgery I applied for my temporary disability. After doing all the work for them in order to activate my claim, UNUM strung me out for 7 weeks saying they were processing my claim, they then took 2 more weeks reviewing my claim to verify if I was even eligible. Then they denied my claim saying it was a preexisting condition. Even my ortho specialist didn't consider it pre-existing. The customer service with UNUM was nonexistent. This is the WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with and they should be put out of business. They are comparable to white collar domestic terrorists.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Every time you call you get a different answer from whomever answers the phone. I called to file complaints and had to talk to two or three different people. Nothing got taking care of and I can't wait until open enrollment to cancel. They will never get another dime from me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I found out that I needed a spinal surgery and the company I worked for was playing around deciding whether or not I had short term disability even though I was paying for it and had been with the company long enough under the handbook guidelines. I called Unum and they swore I had coverage and wouldn't lose my coverage even if I got fired for having the surgery. So I had the surgery, and while I was laying in the hospital bed, the company I worked for fired me and Unum called me to say I wasn't going to be covered because I had a pre-existing condition. I had asked them that question specifically in my many phone calls to them leading up to the surgery and they denied having a pre-existing clause but apparently that was a lie.

A word to the wise, never buy insurance from Unum. They do not do anything but collect your premium and squirrel it away. They consider anything you've seen a dr for in the last six months, a pre-existing condition, so in other words, nothing is going to be covered... let me repeat myself, nothing is going to be covered under their antiquated rules. You might as well bury some money in a Mason jar in your backyard each week rather than give it to these sacks of dog poo! Stay away from Unum!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I applied for long term and short term disability. I filled out the questionnaire. I was honest and said I have anxiety and that was the reason for my last doctor visit. Meanwhile I have suffered from anxiety for decades and have never missed a day of work due to anxiety. I have never been hospitalized for anxiety. I am very healthy. I take zero daily medications. My last hospitalization was years ago and that was because of a bad gall bladder. I guarantee I have coworkers who have high blood pressure and are a hundred pounds overweight and were approved for coverage.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

For 4 month UNUM has stalled and given both us and our dentist the run around. They referred us to this dentist as being in network and confirmed our coverage before procedure but have "lost", "never received" "lost again" info they requested. Our dentist office has literally pages or notes on the runaround they have given her. We even scheduled a conference call between UNUM the dental office and ourselves and were assured they had everything and a month later still nothing. When we called was told it had just sat for another month but they would get it done. 2 weeks later still nothing. Now we have been placed for collection and are turning it over to our attorney because now they have damaged our credit as well. Dental office turning them over to the state of Georgia. Never have had service this bad. Whatever it takes our company will not be using ANY of their insurance service next year. After reading reviews, seems this is a company wide practice.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I suffered brain damage and a "failed back" (pain despite 2 surgeries) and am disabled. My job was being an emergency physician. I can't do that with brain damage. Unum put me "on claim" without hesitation and is sending me payments very regularly. I would like them to direct deposit, and they won't do that, which is annoying and I took off one star for it. I read some of the other reviews, and honestly, as board-certified MD with 38 years of experience, many of these people are whining that their claim was denied, and then they identify their problems in their complaint, and they are truly and honestly NOT disabled, and I can see why Unum denied them, and I think Unum was right.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I established Unum Insurance through my employer in 2008-2011 and the both of them are very unethical. I enrolled in short-term disability insurance as well as long term disability insurance paying into the program for numerous of years and suffered an injury that I still have until this day. I was injured at work and this company gave me the run around about my insurance until the day I was wrongfully terminated. I asked for reimbursement and they refused. They are deceitful and in the business of making money off their consumers.

Original review: July 19, 2017

They have every reason under the Sun to not pay for my claim, I have received the run around. They are heartless. They do not want to pay no matter what. My surgeon and my PCP sent in all documentation to support my absence for a month, with it being an emergency surgery. No preexisting condition or anything that my policy wouldn't cover and Unum still keeps coming up with ridiculous reasons not to pay when it's obvious I could not work which was most certain clear. No food on the table, had every reason to receive money from a company I have paid into every week. They do not care.

Original review: July 18, 2017

When dealing with Unum get an attorney pronto. They will try every trick in the book not to pay you. Other people I know who have dealt with them have experienced their special brand of "customer service". You have a legitimate claim. You have paid the premiums for years and they still try to deny, deny, deny. I spoke with a Dr today that said she has to word a claim "just so" or it will be denied. How these people sleep at night I don't know. I couldn't believe the review here that said an Unum rep will call them every week and ask them if they are watching TV? WTH. How dare you, Unum. Pay your bills. And shame on the company you work for-- for not doing their research and hiring a reputable company.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Unum yet again has wrongfully deprived another sick/injured person of their disability insurance. I have 3 specialist physicians ALL stating my need for disability and yet Unum has wrongfully denied this based on their part time primary care doctors evaluation. On top of this, there have been 3 employees including a supervisor and contracted physician that have blatantly lied (on a recorded line) about physicians letters claiming my ability to return to work when in fact none exist. The contracted physician created a written statement claiming that one of my specialist physicians stated that "pt is ready to return to occupation at full time." This never happened and infuriated my physician so much that he wrote a strongly worded letter back to Unum and the contracted physician correcting their lies. In my opinion, never trust anything an Unum employee tells you and NEVER pay for any services that Unum has to offer.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My doctor put me off work for 3 weeks because of heart palpitations and the stress of my job. I was also put on blood pressure medication but we could not get it down. The claims expert informed me that I was not sick enough to stay off work. I asked him, "should I have ignored my doctor's request and gone to work?" He could not answer, but he did say that everyone gets stressed at work, but it should not have kept me off work. REALLY!!? Why am I paying into this plan?!! THIS IS CRAZY! I was waiting on this money to pay my bills. REALLY!??

Original review: July 6, 2017

Unum is by far the worst. I have for my short term disability, I pay for the 1100.00 every two weeks. I have been off work for little over a month due to a surgery. They keep giving me the run around game, I don't have time for that. I a single mom. Because of them stating they haven't got stuff after I have faced it multiple times doctors have faced it multiple time I am now unable to pay any of my bill or lot rent. I can't even put food on the table. They get paid so they don't care about anyone but themselves. I will not recommend them to anyone. They are useless.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky