Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company

2.7/5 (765 ratings)

About Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: April 27, 2022

My consulting company switched our dental insurance from Metlife Dental to Unum insurance at the beginning of 1/1/22. If your employer offers you this dental insurance be sure to not take it and get your own. It's not worth hassle of trying to get the services paid for. It has been almost 5 months since I submitted a claim, and they still have not paid my dentist for the services. I resubmitted the claim again, and the customer service representative said it would take 30 for them to respond. SMH... This by far a racket and the worst experience I have had with dental coverage.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I applied for my leave absence back in February due to accident with my dog. Each time I visited the doctor he would put me on three weeks extension. I would submit my forms via computer each time. Finally, Unum stated payment will be on this a certain date. Well, today I check my status and now it is pending again due to doctor stating extend another three weeks. I call a representative and she stated they will not start a payment until my next visit. Plus, I have to be disable for sixty days before my benefit even start. Well, I am out of all my sick and ETO time. Representative stated there no back pay. I have medical and personal bills I have to pay. How I am to pay my co-payment for doctor visit to even hope I be release. This not fair at all I was on the phone crying. I did not ask for this injury. I am sixty years old and have never broken a bone in my until now. Do not waste your earnings paying this company for your hardship.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I developed covid pneumonia, diagnosed with covid 1/4/22, ER 1/6/22, and "officially" admitted shortly after midnight 1/7/2022. I was critical ill in the hospital for 10 days. I have been dealing with the nightmare of recovering from it since then. I am still home and just got off oxygen last week (yay.). I tried to claim on my Unums short-term disability plan a few days ago. I turned in everything they requested and got a response from them today.

Unum denied my claim because I didn't stay in the hospital 4 more days. My release papers said I was in the hospital for 10 days. I missed this company helping me because I didn't stay in the hospital long enough!?! Sooooo I should of asked the doctor to left me admitted there in the hospital longer? Next time, I pray I never have a nightmare like this again, but if I do, I will tell the doctor I need to stay 14 days so my critical illness plan will cover my stay. I am so stressed. I thought I finally get some help in paying some of my medical bills since I was "critical ill." Nope. Unum is a horrible company to deal with. Their customer service phone system has long wait times. Monday I waited 40 minutes to talk to a live agent in their critical illness department. WHAT A JOKE UNUM IS. STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN!!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

This company is a complete joke and loaded with clowns! They are all trained to deny everything and make you jump through hoops to get anything from them. I wouldn’t suggest giving this company any money for anything at any time! You will not get paid for anything. They will run you around enough so that you just give up. It’s a sad, sad world having to deal with creeps like this. They have paid millions and millions of dollars in fines for falsely denying claims (I wonder who got that money?!). I will continue my mission of getting them to pay more fines until whoever is running the company realizes how stupid they are ruining their reputation instead of building a great company. They say it starts at the top.. Clowns at the top, clowns at the bottom..

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I paid premiums for years, and when I truly needed to claim disability, they found every reason not to grant it. In my opinion, it would have taken a lawsuit to get a reversal and I simply was not willing to put myself through that stress. So, I canceled the policy. I had paid my premium on June 1st, and canceled the policy on June 8th. To add injury to insult, they have yet to refund me the pro-rated amount for the month of June (they owe me for 22 days that were paid for, before my cancelation), and we're now in the month of November. I went on to file a complaint with the Tennessee Insurance Commission. I regret throwing away my hard earned money on years of premiums. What a waste. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

In 1999 I purchased a long term care insurance policy that would now pay benefits of $10,000 per month for my lifetime. I am looking into entering a continuum of care facility and wanted UNUM to send them a copy of my policy. UNUM keeps sending them (and me) a different policy. Despite protestations, they ignore me and send it again. Their substitution contains language about "critical illness/critically ill" as a determiner of benefits while my policy only requires that I be disabled in 2 or more ADL. I think I am being victimized by a ruse to decrease my benefits through an attempt to substitute a different, more restrictive policy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Filed a STD claim 36 days ago. Supplied all requested info and docs. Physicians did the same. Redundant information was requested and supplied. There was sporadic contact with the agent handling the claim. Via telephone. No email available. Now I'm leaving voice mails with no response. A true example of the insurance industry. Collect premiums, withhold benefits. 3rd experience with an STD carrier over 20yrs. By FAR the worst. Good luck.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Awful experience! They take forever to get a claim to get approved and require sooo much medical information to the point where it feels like an invasion of personal health information. Once a claim is approved it is only good for 1 week and then you have to do the process all over again, making it difficult while seeking therapy. Please find a different short term disability insurance company.

Original review: July 9, 2021

They are making it impossible to get your claim going by asking for soooo much information, and now they are asking your physician for a detailed letter why you should be off work for a week. Like they don't know what they're talking about. I have an enlarged aorta and a fib. I've been to So many doctors, who the hell should I ask to sit down for 15-20 min. and write a ** letter.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Quit my job, wanted to keep my same life insurance. Submitted all the paperwork, sent it in, they said I didn't submit a blank check, which we did, did it again. Months later we noticed that they didn't take from our bank account so the phone calls started. Hung up on, all members of the office are in a meeting all day, etc. Over a week later I get someone to help. Nobody can find my policy based on name, SS#, DOB, or company. I dug through paperwork, got the policy number, call back, nobody can find it based on that. They go to transfer you, hang up. Call back, get the number they trying to transfer to in case, they try to transfer, hung up. Call that new number, on hold for over 30m, even try on my wife's phone number, seemingly get better results, hung up on again!

Finally get an answer on the my phone, get attitude from the start, no answers as to why nobody can find my account, tell her to stop auto debit, more attitude, won't even answer my questions, just dead silence. Find out you can't access your account online or login to see payments or even view your account with them. All you can do is call and harass them! We find out how to terminate with them, I end the call. I called my bank and stopped future payments, they tell me that the company might try to use a different name to get around the block. Lovely. I don't think I've ever had this bad of customer service! Ever!

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor