Unum Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I highly recommend this fine Insurance Company. I am now 63 years old, and I have been on claim since 2008. They are paying me $2,500.00 each and every month, and will continue these payments to me for the rest of my life. When I purchased my Disability Income Policy back in the 1990's, I knew exactly what I was purchasing, because I read the policy, and I made sure I understood everything they were contractually obligated to provide. I knew the options included on my policy. Unum has stuck to the policy provisions strictly per the contract wording. I thank God that I purchased this policy, and I thank God that I bought it from

Unum- Provident!!!

Unum has taken care of my wife and I'd like to thank them for that. It's not often that you see large corporations doing the right thing and treating people with respect and courtesy. My family thanks you much.

I purchased a life insurance policy for me, my husband and our children through Unum via payroll deduct. We were told we could take it with us if we ever decided to leave and that we needed to buy it right then (when they first came to our company) so that we wouldn't need to have medical tests, etc. I paid into it faithfully for 2 years. Today my employer notified us that due to Unum not paying claims for our hourly workers disability claims, we were switching to Aflac. All our policies would be guaranteed there. Well, no. Aflac wouldn't offer life insurance for my husband since in August of this year he was diagnosed with colon cancer. While I HOPE we don't need to use it, we now NEED desperately to have that policy.

I contacted Unum to set up a way to keep the policy and pay them as if I had left the company... You know, keep my policy and they told me that we aren't allowed to keep our policies unless we were with them 5 years and I was only with them 2! Wait?! So you sold it to us saying we could take it with us if we quit etc. but now refuse to let me keep it? So now I paid 2 years into a policy I can't keep (which was a lie) and Aflac who is taking over won't let me buy a policy because he has a preexisting condition now! I tried contacting another company and was told he will have to be cancer free for 5 years before they will even consider giving him a policy at a very high rate. (Colon cancer). He's only 45. I'm already beat up enough over the fact he's sick, trying to make sure he gets all the treatment he needs to get well and now the only insurance we had on him is gone? How can they do this?

This company is terrible; it's scam. They do not pay or they slow pay. I was out six weeks from work, never got a form to fill out until I got back to work. Never received a payment the entire time I was out on medical leave. Extremely disappointed with this company. Of course, it says a lot about the company that I work for having this company as a disability provider.

I have read the other complaints on Unum and feel they probably aren't getting a fair review. Of course people report when they are upset but how many don't even think to share when they are satisfied? My husband had spinal fusion surgery last month and got his initial 5 weeks paid (1st week is unpaid per their policy and we were aware of it because we read before we signed). He is an electrician and does very physically demanding labor. His doctor wants him off for another 3 months to properly heal. I understand Unum can't just automatically approve his 90 days without continuing to follow his progress. Our specialist has already extended it once and immediately went into review status instead of dropping us once that second extension period ended.

We have a wonderful Disability Specialist, Keillor **, who is basically holding our hand and guiding us through the whole process. He returns any calls we make and he answers all of our questions. He lets us know upfront what is required in order to continue to receive benefits. We are not finished with this medical leave yet but so far in the 8 weeks he's been off we have not had to worry about caring for our 2 daughters (both autistic special needs) since I know we are in GREAT hands!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Unum only paid 5 weeks of short term disability for pregnancy (coverage did not begin until 7 days after delivery). I had a cesarean section delivery and was expecting the 8 weeks of disability recommended in the state of Florida but Unum denied payment after 5 weeks and denied an appeal after providing additional documentation. I had an upper respiratory infection prior to delivery and while hospitalized for the delivery I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I was discharged on time but required continued care under a pulmonologist. It complicated my recovery but it didn't matter to Unum. Given what I paid into the policy, it would have been wiser and more cost effective to put the money into a savings account.

When I tried to cancel my policy upon my return to work I was told to call back because the system was down. I called back and was told my policy was canceled and that a letter was sent. I followed up a week later because I had not received a letter and found out that the policy was not canceled and canceled it again. I received an email confirmation when signing up and received an email when I filed an online claim, but they could not send me an email to confirm cancellation. I am disgusted with this company and will never purchase a policy through them again. It is a scam.

Unum is a ripoff, they don't help with claims when they are submitted. You get nothing for paying your premiums. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. They don't have direct deposit if you do get a claim. You pay them your money and they give you nothing. They deny every claim you put in, if you don't stay overnight in the hospital you get nothing if you file a claim. THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!! YOU WILL GET NOTHING!!!

Aug. 19, 2016 I had abdominal surgery for the 6th time. We knew, and the doctor knew this was going to be a lengthy recovery. The process started out great, people on the phone were delightful and helpful. Things spiraled down from there. On 8/26 I received my normal paycheck for working up to 8/18. Unum stated given the nature of my surgery, I should return to work 8/30. I received a letter stating that following the 7 day waiting period I would receive a check for 3 days at 60% of my rate. I contacted my doctor to submit the necessary paperwork, to which they complied. 3 days later I called to check the status and I was informed the paperwork was insufficient. No one called me, they said I would receive a letter.

Long story short, the doctor's office re-sent paperwork 4 times with a tentative return to work date of Oct. 1. 3 weeks later I was paid a portion of what Unum owed me. For an insurance company, they "lose" paperwork a lot! People at the call center are hopeless, and my account specialist is a joke. The best part so far is the letter I received stating I was released from my doctor to return to work on 9/22/16. They have yet to produce documentation to prove that. They are FRAUDS. Short term disability is free through my employer, and good thing, because I will NEVER give this company a penny of my money... I am ready to seek legal counsel.

My employer uses Unum as our short term disability vendor. I have been with my employer for over a decade and after many bouts of stress/anxiety/panic and depression, I decided with the advice of my doctors and the support of my boss to take some time off to deal with these issues. I love my job but it is stressful and my work/life balance is compromised. I wanted to take time off to get in a better mental place so I can be an efficient and clear minded employee.

I opened my claim for STD in mid August with all the appropriate paperwork from my doctor. It took a thousand calls from me (none from them) and 6 weeks of pure aggravation in the end to only have my claim be denied on grounds of it being work related! UMMM... isn't that what I stated from day one? Shouldn't have someone at Unum communicated this 'work related' exclusion clause to me? It would have saved me weeks of aggravation and hence, deeming my leave useless as I was still stressed out and suffering from anxiety attacks due to being in disability limbo. The worst experience ever!

I've been an RN Case Manager at Hahnemann Hospital, part of Tenet Healthcare, since September 2003. I have had to use the Unum disability insurance (the only option we're provided with) for any medical leave since being hired, and have had many more negative interactions than positive ones. I have had chronic back pain since an MVA in 1991, which I was desperate enough to make go away that I agreed to a 2-level spinal fusion in 1/2003 (even though I knew there was a really good chance that it wouldn't help!). I was right, it didn't help, and when I tried to get my employer (Horizon Blue Cross of NJ) to set me up to work from home (which other nurses doing my same job were already doing! ), she instead fired me for being absent! I started working at Hahnemann a few months later.

Since 2006, I've had to misfortune of having to use Unum multiple times for short-term disability, and I've had problems with my payments for more half of those periods of disability. Since I returned to work after all but present episode, I was eventually able to start bringing in money again by returning to my job. This time, however, I'm in a different position. I've been getting treated for osteoarthritis in my knees, hands, wrists & fingers for years. At this point, I'm no longer able to tolerate hours of computer, mouse, charting & writing anymore, and & meds I've been taking all these years make me a little drowsy, leaving me in danger of being fired for sleeping on the job!

I didn't receive the check for the initial 6 weeks I was out (which included a 2-week elimination period that I was paying extra to reduce from 4 weeks) until AFTER I was initially scheduled to have returned to work! I was the one who put the paperwork into the fax machine at the doctor's office for the first 6-week extension of my leave. I gave them a few days to work on the records, and then discovered on the website that they had closed the claim! I called them, and went back to the doctor's office to resubmit everything to them through the end of July, and waited again for something to happen. Nothing did, so again I called, and uploaded the chart info myself to ensure they couldn't deny receiving them.

The day after the records were uploaded, Unum generated another letter again asking my doctor for his records. When I called to tell them that both the office & I had submitted the requested information. I was then assured that the information was received & was being reviewed. Today, I dropped off my prescription for my pain meds and found out that my health insurance, which I sent almost $1,300 to Tenet to keep intact just after receiving the payment from Unum for June, 2016 (that I didn't receive until the last week of AUGUST!). I have to now deal with the Tenet benefits department to see if there is anything that I can do to get this mess fixed.

My doctor wonders why my normally average blood pressure has gone into the stroke (200/100) range! The people at Unum have no conscience; they've received specific notes from my doctor noting that my blood pressure has been too high for him to give me steroid injections in the joints in my fingers, which has not happened to me before this summer.

I had major stomach surgery 2 months ago and under my doctor's orders was scheduled to be out for 6 weeks. Unum paid my claim for 4 weeks and decided that they were not going to pay for my additional 2 weeks because I was able to go back to work. Who the hell do they think they are?? If my doctor says I need to be out, an insurance company, who does not know me or my circumstances has no right to deny my claim!!! I have just filed an appeal and I am waiting to hear back. If the claim is denied again, I am calling my attorney. Unum is an insurance company, not a team of surgeons who know what a patient needs. My company and I pay money into the insurance company for my STD... It's not their money!!

I have it for short term and as a supplemental insurance! I pay 86.00 a pay for supplemental and they deny to pay claims and they take 2 weeks plus to pay. Please please do not purchase this insurance, you will have nothing but heartache! I had bilateral hand surgery, they refuse to pay for the second surgery. Lucky before I had them done I called and they told me they would pay for both hands, so since the phone call was recorded they had to pay!! Then my last week off work they would not pay me cause (even though the doctor said I wasn't able to return to work) they refused to pay my last week off!!!

I had an accident which caused head trauma. At the start Unum paid the claim. My doctors and specialists all said that I was unable to work in letters to Unum. About 3 months in, Unum stopped paying claims. They stated it was under review by their doctors (who never saw me). After 90 days, they ruled against all doctors that were treating me and said I could work. Which was funny because I had to have help doing just about everything. So I appealed; 90 more days, then they said they needed another 90 days. Appealed denied. Hire an attorney before 2nd appeal. The story quickly will change from Unum.

I had to go out for a major surgery and my company uses UNUM for their short term disability. I have never had such a horrible experience with a company. This is my first time ever going out on STD in my life and this company has badgered me, harassed me and made my recovery stressful. The doctor has specifically stated that the "full" recovery for this procedure is 6 weeks. The doctor has provided them with every document they need to support my claim.

Now, according to their "chart" my recovery is only allowed for 4 weeks and they just sprung thus surprise on me today, now I have less than a week left before I go back to work. My representative, Tracy is horrible. I can never get on touch with her, and when I opt out to a Tissot speak with someone, nobody knows what is going on. Thus company is deceitful and under no circumstances does your representative try to help you. I'm still on pain meds and cannot drive. Not only that but, since my surgery was on my stomach, it's still swollen and I cannot wear anything with a waistband for longer than 2 hours. But, according to their chart, I'm recovered and need to report back to work.

I'm not trying to work any system or take advantage in any way, but I do feel like they are trying to screw me and I have to "prove" that I'm not able to work. This company and every associate I have dealt with is horrible... Especially Tracy put of Portland,ME. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she says she wasn't allowed to give put her information but I can call the 800 number and ask for Sheryl. Why would the supervisors isolate themselves like that? Or, why would Tracy lie? If you need rest in order to recover from anything, don't expect it when you deal with UNUM.

I bought Unum's Long Term Care Insurance in 2001. It provided the best benefits for a single person and had an affordable premium. Both the broker and the company guaranteed that the premium would never increase. Only 2096 of these policies were sold in the State of New York. Hardly enough sales to bankrupt Unum. Fast forward to 2015, when, tearfully, Unum contacted me and said the premium just had to go up 10%. It was disappointing, but I paid it. This was just a portent. This year, 2016, the premium went up again: 66%!!! I called the company who was very understanding, and, then, in the next breath informed me that it would increase another 48%. However, their literature says the second increase will not take effect for 3 years. Remains to be seen. They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth.

I bought LTC insurance because, as an early widow, I watched all of our assets eaten away by medical costs after my husband died. We had medical insurance but the patient's responsibility totaled over six figures. After retiring all of that debt and raising a family, I managed to buy a small home and start a savings account. I didn't want to lose it all again and die in penury. It's surprising to see how easily one can lose everything. LTC gave me some peace of mind, until now. Beware of 'no-increase' premiums. Seems Unum can break its promise to us but we can't stop paying their inflated premiums.

I've been with Unum for 13 years. Paid premiums promptly. Was told when I enrolled if I paid a higher premium I would not face a rate increase. BIG LIE. 2 years ago rate increase of 18%. Unum has been sued so often I suppose they have to pay their fines. In addition, trying to communicate with Unum is impossible. All ltc seems problematic, but Unum is the absolute worse.

Dealing with Unum has been one of the worst experience in my life. Why do they have to do phone interviews every 2 months about your recovery when a doctor doesn't even know how to answer? My benefits was canceled last week by Unum with no contact to me letting me know there was a problem. My FMLA was received by HR Department by my Dr's office, but my Dr. s office didn't note that the FMLA was faxed in my chart. Rep with Unum never called me of the issue until she stopped my benefits.

I am a single women with zero income and out of work since 9/18/2015 with double brain surgery. All this Unum rep has tried to do from the beginning is stop my benefits. Unum acts like this is their money when this money was taken out of my check every month. Rep with Unum said I would need to file an appeal along with a Dr's office visit that has a co-pay. Just wonder where I can get money to pay co-pays with no income. I started to file a complaint on the rep, but I see no reason because looking at the reviews the supervisors are which like the rep's. I feel thru all the complaints that legal should've resolved all these problems with Unum. I have request legal advice.

I was denied my long term disability after receiving it for about 7 months. I was diagnosed with MS and paralysis as long as a lot of other conditions that I will not go into. They sent someone to observe me and saw me cleaning up dog poop with a pooper scooper and carrying my granddaughter to the car. They say that I am able to go back to work even though I lie in bed most days. They had two neurologist evaluate my claim and even though my doctor has me off on restrictions and I will eventually getting permanent disability they still declined it. Just terrible.

Received a refill in the mail for something I never signed up for mail order. They insisted we'd been receiving it since January, which we hadn't. Rep insisted upon it. Then I asked to speak to Supervisor (someone named Debra) who again insisted we have been receiving it then basically accused me of lying that the post office is never wrong, but we are. They would not process a refund or take the medication back and basically said "file a grievance and good luck with that". I can see why they have such a horrible reputation. Incompetence is astounding coupled with poor customer service skills reading from a horrible script. My company is shopping for a new health care provider and this just sealed the deal for me.

My case worker Lynn ** is unprofessional and unhelpful. I was in an accident 12/07/2015. My neck was injured had major surgery on c1 to c7 vertebrata and she wants to know my restrictions. My doctor and I have given them everything they want and it still not enough. I am getting a lawyer to help me. I have paid for temporary disability just in case something like this happened and when it did they give you a harder time and more stress than the actual accident itself.

I bought long term care insurance since 2008 for me and my wife as $360/year (Long term care coverage: Monthly max.facility = $2000, Assisted living Facility = $1200, Total Home care = $1000), by 2014 increased to $456/year, by Jan. 2015 to $570, by Jul. 2016 to $686/yr. Below is copied exactly statement from insurance letter for understanding why increase and how it trick.

Q. "I thought my rates were guaranteed never to increase. Am I being single out for this rate increase because of my age or health?" A. "No. As a guaranteed renewable insurance product, your rates for long term care insurance will never increase based on changes in your age or health, however, the rates for an entire class of customers can increase if necessary to ensure future claims obligations can be met." A change in pricing on a class basis must be actually justified.

I did not know this tricky answer until now. Make decision carefully before going to buy this kind of insurance. I decided to drop this insurance after nearly 8 years staying with this insurance because it is not guarantee increasing. The long term care coverage is not increase by the year. That is so terrible for coverage not increasing but the payment insurance will increasing.

DX with late stage lyme disease after a cardiac arrest in 2014. Sought short term aid due to cognitive defects and pain. Denied STD after appealing. Now on SSD and Unum LTD but Unum is trying very hard to stop payments due to no progress to return to work. My symptoms are ongoing and likely to worsen. MD are stopping to communicate with them and I am expected to retrieve progress notes for them. I sign releases but records are no longer sent. I am on the verge of being denied any LTD.

Shadiest most unreasonable Insurance company you will ever deal with. Try to work with them. Make every effort to get them all the info they say they need and DOCUMENT everything. An insurance company MUST act reasonably. When they continue to be unreasonable, file a complaint with your state's Department of Insurance. Let them handle it from there. They will decide if Unum handled your claim in accordance with strict federal and state laws and regulations. Unum preys on the ignorance of the their insureds. It's a disgusting business practice that needs to be stopped immediately!!! Shame on you Unum!

I've been having issues receiving payments from Unum Insurance Company. Since 2007 they have been recouping income from me in regards to 3 payment of 1739.52 which Unum had sent. They had refused to remove the family disability, when I no longer had dependents for social security family in 2012 (Unum finally removed the 18-yr-old as receiving family income on their budget calculation). In 2009 I had lost workers comp payments. Appeal was put into the comp board and I won back payments in 2012 so comp gave me back payments for that time to 2014. I still was not receiving any payment from Unum due to a recoup, yet again Unum added an additional recoup amount to what they were already being recouping In 2007. I received the max in Social Security disability and workers comp from 2012-2014 and Unum was paying me the minimum balance of $173 which they had been recouping since 2007.

2014 Unum sent me a settlement offer and I declined the $16,000 minus $6000 overpayment they claimed I had owed, but in the same token they sent me a check for under $2000 a few days later because they claimed I was underpaid by them. So I cashed the check after I called Unum to make sure that it was not going to be an issue if the checked was cashed. I was told by Unum representative that it was my money owed to me from an underpayment by Unum and for me to go on and cash the check. Representative stated it was ok to cash the check (biggest mistake ever on my part because they used that as a reason to recoup). In 2014 I decided to settle. I decided to take the lump sum instead of the bi-weekly payments from workers comp. Unum sent me a letter stating that there was an overpaid by them. Mind you Unum is still only paying me the minimum amount $173. But the recoup payment was close to $10,000.

Today I received a call from Unum,. I was told by them that my settlement offer from workers comp which was a one-time payment of me forfeiting all future payments from workers comp and will never receive another payment from worker comp. Well Unum says that my settlement amount in 2014 was backpay from workers comp from 2012-2014. I asked the Unum representative how could my settlement be a backpayment, when I was getting a bi-weekly workers comp check from 2012-2014 and had not received any money from comp since 2014 to current. And how do I owe back several thousands of dollars when your company has only been paying me the minimum of $173 and has been recouping since 2007. In my case Unum has been recouping on a recoup so they don't have to pay me any benefits I'm entitled to.

Unum also told me today they are going to contact workers comp and they may have to go back 2012-2015 and I may owe them money. How is that possible? When In 2012 reinstatement of my works comp claim they gave me a 1-time backpay in 2012 to cover income lost and thereafter workers comp bi-weekly check until 2014 settlement. Unum has received all income verification documents in a timely manner of any changes in income from all parties, workers comp & myself included.

This is my third short term disability claim. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with chronic back pain, shoulder pain. Stressed with doctors bills. They are not consistent. Don't pay them.

I had a herniated disc in my neck and needed surgery in August 2015. I spoke with Unum weeks before my surgery, got all the paperwork needed, and had the claim filed before I even went out of work. When my 14-day waiting period was over, I immediately started receiving direct deposits. When my return date changed, it wasn't a problem at all and no delay in getting my deposits. They made an event that could have been very stressful, very simple and stress-free. I am so thankful that I opted into this extra coverage through my employer.

Unum is the company that my employer utilized for long/short term disability. I have been sick since July 2015 and expected to return to work. When my condition failed the thought of it a month later I called Unum. A Unum representative guaranteed me that she will be working to assist me in every way possible. I have never had an experience this horrible in my life. Every rep that I spoken with had a different way of doing things as if they don't have policies. I have spoken to Jan, Laura, Wendy and many more names that I can't remember at the moment and now as of today a supervisor named Craig. Unum is full of misleading reps who all blame everyone but themselves.

The sad thing is for this to be a big company they never return calls or meet the deadlines that they give you when gathering your information. My doctor has willing sent Unum every document that they have requested and even have spoken with them on the phone. Everything I sent them isn't enough no matter what it is. Wendy ** called me on a day that I was very sick and I stated that to her and she still kept me on the phone for 45 mins answering question after question. Wendy never followed up with me until I finally called her. Wendy can never answer the questions that I ask but instead ask me to read letters that she supposedly has sent me.

Craig ** is the supervisor I spoke to today. Craig ignored everything that I informed him of prior to him taking the card from Wendy. When asked for Corporate's number Craig threatening to hang up on me and cut me off when I was speaking. Craig then provided me a complaint line and hung up on me. All I have asked for Unum to do is their jobs. All I wanted is for Unum to treat me as a human being and provide me with the correct information to assist me. I'm sure Unum has guidelines, policies and procedures to better assist their clients.

I had major back surgery in 2014 and still can't work. I had to retire early and now I get SS disability. I have had this insurance for about 30 years, and this is my only claim. I had to jump through hoops to get SS but this is stupid. The DR's and hospital have sent them everything they asked for and it's STILL not good enough! I called and asked them just what EXACTLY do they want?! Everything from 10/13/2014 to 12/2015. What really, OK! They are going to get about 300 pages and I'm leaving some out. I'm done. I'm also getting a Lawyer. This is nuts! I only get $1248 a month! I WILL NOT GET TAKEN! And neither should anyone else!

After chemo and radiation, I was feeling too sick to work and filed a claim. The representative was rude and condescending. She told me that I was just "tired" and that is not a disability. My claim was denied, but the process was so onerous that I didn't pursue it. I paid into my policy for 14 years and claimed next to nothing when I had a life-threatening illness. This is a terrible company and I suppose businesses purchase this for employees because of the low cost.

This has been the worst experience I have ever encountered from an short term disability company. I was injured in a car accident December 2015. UNUM short term disability has made it very difficult during this process. The amount of paper trail and communication is unbelievable causing so much stress. This has not helped with my recovery at all because of the burden of never knowing if I will have income on a weekly basis. As a single parent this is horrible thinking. I paid into an insurance as such to protect me and my son should some things like this ever happen, only to feel like a victim from the company that was supposed to protect us. The employee agents are so rude making me feel powerless. They expect me the physical injured to fax doctors records pertaining to my injury even after my doctors office has tried to comply with their requirements.

If I recover from my injuries after surgery I will never use this company again. I will seek out another insurance provider like AFLAC. I am so upset emotionally because of the constant hassle UNUM causes on a weekly basis. I have had three doctors say I am disabled and unable to work, however UNUM ask repeatedly when will I return even though I say I don't know. I am not a doctor nor is UNUM agents but they deny benefits against my doctors’ restriction and disability certificates. I just want to give up and I believe that is their goal to have me to do so. I wouldn't wish this treatment for anyone.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.
  • Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.
  • Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.
  • Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.
  • Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.
  • Best for People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Compare Disability Insurance