Unum Insurance Company
3.44/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Unum Insurance Company

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

365 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I get 1 tooth implant and I'm told since they review my entire dental history I'm not covered for anything. I'm 65 yrs old, she asked me if I have any crowns? How many teeth are missing, how many cavities I've had my entire life. What do crowns, cavities or missing teeth have to do with an implant? Beyond believable, hands down worst coverage I've ever had. Not to mention it took 5 months to deny my claim, said they were busy, well who isn't busy. Truth was they are too busy denying claims and giving dental professionals the run around asking question that they already have documentation on. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I will write this about me but I am only one person in thousands or maybe millions. Millions is more likely since this includes people from all over the world. I have always been a hard working person and picking a career as an auto technician and working hard to advance thru the years to the highest level as a Toyota Technician should prove this fact. I want you all to know this because I am a taxpayer, voter, father, husband, brother, and law abiding citizen. Here is my story. Seven years ago while I was at work, I fell down. I started dropping things from my hands. I noticed that I was gradually losing strength. I wasn't myself anymore, and slowly losing the ability to do my job. I was paid on a commission type basis. So if I couldn't work as hard and fast as usual then my pay amount dropped. I fault for a few more years as I struggled to continue.

Of course I had medical insurance, short term disability, long-term, and death insurance. I have paid for these policies for over 30 years. About four years ago, I had to leave my job due to illness and it was really becoming unsafe for myself to even be in a shop. During these years I have seen a handful of Doctors that struggled with diagnosing my issues. A clear diagnosis was uncertain and Unum insurance company demanded one. But what these doctors did agree on was that I was disabled and continuing to get worse. I was unable to continue to perform a mechanic’s job by far and the doctors noted this in their records. I was eventually Diagnosed after years and multiple doctor visits, I even took a plane to Rochester, Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion. I am now considered a patient there also.

I hope you are still reading along and I'm not boring you so far. Well, I find this very hard to say, but I have ALS disease. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease. As you most likely know, My days are numbered and there's No sunshine at the end of my rainbow. But this is not a pity party about me. My whole life was about providing for my loved ones. I am so saddened that I feel that I let everyone down because now they provide for me. This was not in my game plan. I had UNUM insurance whom has worked overtime on denying my claim. They ignored my doctors’ opinions and records, they went way low on my estimated yearly salary, and they prolonged any judgment about me collecting any funds. Which also cost me my savings. They flooded my doctors’ offices with letters and ringing phone calls for info that they could use against me.

I had one doctor out of about 7 that I have seen in the very early stages of this disease that I had seen while I was still working that told UNUM that she didn't feel that I was disabled. I wasn't far enough along to confirm any diagnosis. She also didn't care to research my illness. So I fired her. Unum used her records as their source to refuse my situation. I had to sue UNUM. My attorney told me that I couldn't sue for damages because Congress passed a law that prevented these types of lawsuits. Unum caused me so much stress that my health was really taking a hit. The attorney said that due to a bill that Congress passed stated that I can only sue Unum to force them to honor the policy that they sold me. This means that Unum has no recoil to deny claimant claims. So they Steal and rob from their customers constantly everyday.

This attorney was going to take benefit money's from me that was rightfully mine. This attorney recently dropped my case. He said that there's just not enough money in it to fight them any further. Unum gets to deny me, keep their money. I get NOTHING.... My family gets NOTHING. When I die and I will, There's NO insurance money to help them that I paid for for so many years. I now live on my wife's income. She works over-time everyday. My mother died about nine years ago and left me about 100k dollars that I put in saving, it's all gone now, spent on bills. We have been searching our home for stuff to sell. I live in Spring Texas in a nice 250k house that we have called home for so many years that is now going up for sale. I was denied Social Security benefits also as a normal thing that I have been told.

My attorney has dropped appealing this also. I guess what I am trying to tell you is that, I understand that people shouldn't be able to sue insurance companies for millions of dollars or for profit. But if there's a law that states that a person can sue an insurance company for POOR FAITH (If Proven) for five times the benefit amount, then these insurance companies wouldn't mess us over so badly. Just maybe they would be forced to take care of all the others that are legitimately disabled like they promise to do so in their policies that they sell us. I have read so many other people's comments about what Unum has done to them. I even read one about an ex-employee of Unum getting messed over by them. This is a crime or should be.

I wish you all good health now and in the future. And I pray to GOD that you never get sick or have Unum insurance or any other insurance company that is in business to steal from us. Don't ever put yourselves in our positions. Thank You for reading my story. My wishes is for everyone to take notice of this and copy and paste it. then send it to anyone and everyone on the internet, Government offices, State Reps, etc. We the people need help Badly. I hope that I'm still around to see change in this. Thanks Again, Wade.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

They did have me examine. Did look at any test or blood work and created a narrative that they say trumps all actual medical evidence! They bully. Don't call back and change agents without notification and then are then off on vacation and cannot be reached! No ethics at this place!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I had a heart attack in September 2018 and was released and readmitted a few days later into intensive care for what my Doctor said that she believed was a stroke that took my hearing and I was in ICU for 2 weeks and when they took me out of the ICU I could not hear anything and to this day I am Deaf so we filed the claims with Unum for Heart Attack and a stroke which both was declined so I appealed it and started dealing with Teresa ** Lead Appeals Specialist and she had me going back and forth to the Dr.Office and faxing paperwork to her and my Primary care Dr. filled out all the paperwork and wrote a letter saying that she believed I had suffered a stroke that left me Deaf and they declined that one again and the Heart Attack so she told me when I get the denial letter to take it to the Cardiologist and they would give me the documents needed to support the heart attack so I did and faxed them over to her and 3 days later I called her to follow up and she informed me we still didn't have the supportive documents that was needed so I went back to my Cardiologist and told them she says we didn't have enough supportive documents to prove a heart attack.

Well by this time they were getting fed up also so she told me to have the Dr office call her and she would tell them what she needed so I did and I contacted Mrs.** a few days later and was talking with her and she said it clearly shows that I had the heart attack but we still did not have enough supportive documents so the Dr called her again and I followed up again today to find out that I was declined again and she mailed the letters yesterday and when I received them to take them back to the Cardiologist and maybe they could figure out what supportive documents she needed to pay my claim but the funniest part about this was when my Dr. made the comment you must be dealing with Unum and he said we have went around and around with them every time a patient tries to claim the benefits.

Now this is something I had not even opened the page on Unum until today and sure enough I started reading the reviews and everyone had went around and around with them but you know I never complained when they were removing the money out of each of my paychecks but it seems like when you need them it's impossible. I asked Mrs.** today if I needed to get an attorney to help me get what they owe me and she said that was up to me and when I get the letter to take it down to my Cardiologist and let them read it because my EKG numbers didn't support a heart attack and that's when I told her my aunt went to the ER and they ran the EKG and said nothing was showing and the next day she was having triple bypass.

This is just a way to get out of paying what they owe the insured. I could understand if I was just laying around drawing SSI and Disability but that's not the case. I want to go back to work because I like my job and fellow employees which before this I always highly recommended that the employees look at the coverages and to remember you can never have too much insurance but after dealing with this I promise I will share my experience with all the other managers when it's time to decide who we will be spending our money on. Just Beware of UNUM. They don't want to pay and they will run you around until you get fed up and quit. That's what they want you to do so make sure you read the reviews before signing your name to anything.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I am currently approved with Unum long-term disability. However, it was not easy. I currently have multiple sclerosis and while many people are able to work for many years after diagnosis, I ended up with multiple problems and diagnoses concurrently. I had a fall that resulted in a spinal cord injury and neck surgery that was critical. A few months later I ended up in the hospital with autoimmune pancreatitis and Crohn’s disease. I have now had many rheumatology positive testing which could possibly be lupus or something else but either way is definitely rheumatology. Unfortunately, all this runs in the family and I just happened to get all of it not just one or the other. Because I am 38 years old and I look very well and healthy they constantly bother me.

I have had surveillance multiple times and caught them. I have already been approved by the state for Social Security disability. But either way my disability insurance with Unum is for my own occupation which they refuse to release me to because I was a nurse practitioner and they say that I am a liability in danger to others meaning I could hurt a patient more than take care of them. Just for your information that was devastating to me and I was not expecting that to ever happen. I expected to work part time or maybe be told I couldn’t work night shift but never that they would never release me to work again as a nurse practitioner. I find it in saying that these people will do anything to make you feel like you’re doing something wrong and you actually don’t want to work.

I was living the high life with my family and had just bought my 5000 square-foot home moved my family to an upscale neighborhood and school system for all this to happen. I had nine months worth of living saved up which doesn’t matter at all if you lose it all while waiting for insurance and making a hell of a lot less than what you’re used to. However I will continue to fight them just because they are so shady. One of the surveillance tactics was a friend posted a picture of us at a restaurant when I had lunch with her and he found me that way and hung out of his truck at a stoplight to take a picture of me driving for some strange reason. I never said I couldn’t drive.

Another one was a white small car that had letters or decal letters with three numbers a-in the word news acted like they were a news company who followed me all the way from my neighborhood all the way to my son's football game. I am very thankful that I have a consultant name Linda and her last name is ** Who helps me deal with this horrible company and gives me a lot of comfort. You should look up her blog. The bottom line is you either hope to make it long enough that it won’t matter when they find A way to terminate your claim or they finally give you a settlement which I have been praying every day for so I can get rid of them. If you look her up she will help manage your claim and give you peace of mind.

Disability means if you were to work would it put you down where you couldn’t function in life? It does not mean that you can’t function at all or live a life. My last relapse was the entire month of March and April almost in. There is not a single job in this world that would be understanding and not fire me had I been working. Don’t give into this company. Pay the money and get the consultant that I recommended and do everything you can to fight for your life because that’s what I do for myself because of my husband and my three children that are my world and I can guarantee you that my future of being in a wheelchair which I’ve already been told is not something I asked for so I couldn’t work.

I would much rather be working than knowing that my future is doomed to being in a wheelchair and losing sensation and doing all the things I thought I would do when I retired. I will not let this company get me down and I will do everything I can to enjoy the life I can while I can with my husband and my children and hope that we can make it as long as we can with this horrible company that only wants to destroy. I will not let this company get me down and I will do everything I can to enjoy life I can while I can with my husband and my children and hope that we can make it as long as we can with this horrible company that only wants to destroy people and families. People and families.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: July 31, 2019

I was involved in a automobile accident in 2015 which resulted in me having a broke neck. Filed my claim through my employer short term disability company which happened to be Unum. After weeks of going back and forth sending them Every form they needed or I thought so they always needed something else. What a miserable process. I finally got to the point of total frustration and told them just to forget it. I was tired of constantly faxing everything they already had twice. I told them by the time they approved the claim my neck would be Healed and they would not have to pay a thing. Which I think was their goal anyway but after a long, long, long wait I got a check. This lasted to the end of January 2016. I went back to work in February.

Now it July 2019 and I receive a letter from unum stating they overpaid me 3,142 dollars. Really it took them over three years to figure this out or they are in need of money. They state they must receive this money back or they will take legal action. Well, well I guess they think I am just going to cave and pay them something I do not owe them. They are dead wrong. I will be suing them for harassment.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My mother has a long term care policy through Unum and has terminal brain cancer. We thought it might be time to use the policy that my mother has been paying on for 13 years. We have filed the claim 60 days ago and have still not received approval on the claim. They have received doctors' notes and then told we need to get them some more doctor notes. I have contacted doctors to get the information Unum says they need. I'm not sure what part of incurable brain cancer might need more explanation. Very frustrated with this company and would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Injured at work in December. Go to the doctor the next day then several follow up visits. Determined it was a torn rotator cuff and sent to a specialist. Turn in the paperwork for Unum to say they only pay for 2 follow up visits even though it was 2 totally different doctors. Orthopedic doctor does injections. When they don’t deliver results he sent me to physical therapy. So I call and ask if they are going to pay off anything else. Was told to send in the paperwork which I did. Then it gets reject due to the physical therapy did not start within 90 days of the injury.

I as the patient did not determine the treatment to be used or the timeframe. Called and was told to file an appeal. I ask if it would be an independent company reviewing the appeal. Was told no. They do that internally which we all know they would never find in the patient's favor. When I ask if they would prefer to have an attorney involved was blown off like they could care less. If you have this insurance just take the premium money and put it in an account. You’ll be much better off.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Had foot surgery on April 29th. Doctor sent over appropriate UNUM paperwork stating that I would have to be off my foot for 10-12 weeks. Which getting to this point was a challenge in its own right. It has been a total struggle to say the least. They only approved me for the first 4 weeks and from that point the struggle gets worse. Had to jump through hoops every week to get approved week by week. And the 3rd to last week I only received a small portion of my funds. Which happened again on the 2nd to last payment. Which the remaining funds at this time are up in the air. At the end of the day this company will definitely make you work endlessly to get the funds you’ve been paying for out of your check every week. Customer service is lacking and the UNUM portal lacks up to date info. I’m hoping my employer will be looking for another secondary insurance company after this is all said and done....

Original review: June 23, 2019

I've had Unum for years through my job. They approved me for STD for my neck and back problems. I need surgery in my neck and back. I'm in severe pain everyday. I've been diagnosed as permanent stationary with my injuries. I've been instructed to not lift anything! After my STD ended, I attempted 2x to apply for LTD. My Doctor's support my 110%. But Unum has denied me twice stating I have nothing wrong with me and I can go lift 50lbs and go back to work. MRI's don't lie! But Unum does. My orthopedist is disgusted that Unum claims nothing is wrong with me. Unum has changed my diagnosis. Unum has never met me or have done their own exam on me. I have severe spinal stenosis, Degenerative disc disease from neck to lower back, herniated disc with 2 MRI's showing it has gotten bigger, nerve displacement.

Unum are crooks! I'm in appeal but expect it to get denied again. This has been going on for 6 months. I already consulted with an attorney who has already sued Unum and won. I requested my file from Unum. After reading it I want to vomit. They assume everyone is liars. I have to wait for my appeal decision, if denied my attorney is going after them. BEWARE of this company. They are not on your side!!!

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky