3.53/5

358 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

I just experience possible the best customer service! I recently had a surgery and due to that, I am now dealing with my short term disability. I called the Contact Department at Unum multiple times. Since I was not getting the right answers/information to my question, I requested to speak with a manager. I was transferred to Mr. Eric **. The first impression was - his tone of voice. He was pleasant and answer all my questions and resolve the issues that I had in regards to my claims account. Mr. ** was very knowledgeable, professional and friendly. I am so impressed with his customer service! (This review could it been a bad review, but because of Mr. Eric, it turn out to be a good experience). ”Thank you Mr. Eric.”

Original review: April 24, 2019

Unum insurance agency was very thorough and processed my claim quickly. I submitted all the necessary insurance paperwork and I was paid for Short Term Disability, Hospital Indemnity and Accident Coverage within 2 weeks. Will definitely recommend to others at my job. Thanks to Unum for making this so easy during a difficult time!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and after repeated discussions with my family and dr I decided to take continuous leave from work. I have been enrolled in a Unum short term disability policy through my employer for a while and immediately filed a claim. I found the process to be super easy with Unum's app and my CSR interactions on the phone were pleasant and accurate. I received my first payment today. I read some of the reviews on this site and was a little worried, but I wanted to share my experience to help give someone else hope during a trying time.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Injured at work in December. Go to the doctor the next day then several follow up visits. Determined it was a torn rotator cuff and sent to a specialist. Turn in the paperwork for Unum to say they only pay for 2 follow up visits even though it was 2 totally different doctors. Orthopedic doctor does injections. When they don’t deliver results he sent me to physical therapy. So I call and ask if they are going to pay off anything else. Was told to send in the paperwork which I did. Then it gets reject due to the physical therapy did not start within 90 days of the injury.

I as the patient did not determine the treatment to be used or the timeframe. Called and was told to file an appeal. I ask if it would be an independent company reviewing the appeal. Was told no. They do that internally which we all know they would never find in the patient's favor. When I ask if they would prefer to have an attorney involved was blown off like they could care less. If you have this insurance just take the premium money and put it in an account. You’ll be much better off.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Had foot surgery on April 29th. Doctor sent over appropriate UNUM paperwork stating that I would have to be off my foot for 10-12 weeks. Which getting to this point was a challenge in its own right. It has been a total struggle to say the least. They only approved me for the first 4 weeks and from that point the struggle gets worse. Had to jump through hoops every week to get approved week by week. And the 3rd to last week I only received a small portion of my funds. Which happened again on the 2nd to last payment. Which the remaining funds at this time are up in the air. At the end of the day this company will definitely make you work endlessly to get the funds you’ve been paying for out of your check every week. Customer service is lacking and the UNUM portal lacks up to date info. I’m hoping my employer will be looking for another secondary insurance company after this is all said and done....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I've had Unum for years through my job. They approved me for STD for my neck and back problems. I need surgery in my neck and back. I'm in severe pain everyday. I've been diagnosed as permanent stationary with my injuries. I've been instructed to not lift anything! After my STD ended, I attempted 2x to apply for LTD. My Doctor's support my 110%. But Unum has denied me twice stating I have nothing wrong with me and I can go lift 50lbs and go back to work. MRI's don't lie! But Unum does. My orthopedist is disgusted that Unum claims nothing is wrong with me. Unum has changed my diagnosis. Unum has never met me or have done their own exam on me. I have severe spinal stenosis, Degenerative disc disease from neck to lower back, herniated disc with 2 MRI's showing it has gotten bigger, nerve displacement.

Unum are crooks! I'm in appeal but expect it to get denied again. This has been going on for 6 months. I already consulted with an attorney who has already sued Unum and won. I requested my file from Unum. After reading it I want to vomit. They assume everyone is liars. I have to wait for my appeal decision, if denied my attorney is going after them. BEWARE of this company. They are not on your side!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have had a claim open with UNUM for 3 months, this is how long it has taken for them now to say my claim has been declined. I have never in my life experienced a company like this. I have the income protection policy via my employer, am off work sick with mental health issues due to a family member being brutally murdered. I am also suffering with a prolapse disc, cervical neck where some days I can’t even move out the bed due to the disc pressing on a nerve which leaves me in agony, so how I sit in a office all day without pain is beyond me. On all kinds of medication which makes me drowsy as hell, I don’t know what illness UNUM expect you to have until there medical team decide to pay out.

They clearly think also you are fit for work after a family member is murdered. Sorry that’s effected me mentally. My GP has signed me off work understandably, UNUM have had all my medical reports. I have had occupational health reviews which have stated I need more time off. UNUM staff are rude with no empathy at all. They don’t even ask how you are when you ring. They talk over you and don’t listen. If anyone is thinking of taken out a policy with this company make sure you are on your last legs before you get a payout otherwise don’t go near this company. I work for a big company and cannot understand why they have UNUM covering their colleges with a company that can’t even show any sort of compassion, empathy when you call. STAY CLEAR ALL.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I was on a medical leave with The Hartford when my work transferred me over to UNUM. They’ve been the least bit helpful. They declined leaves without clear reasoning then opened two separate leave under FMLA without my acknowledgement, this company has added tremendous unnecessary stress while I am going through a hard time. Anytime I’ve called for clarification I've only left more confused. I’ve talked to countless representatives and leave managers who have all danced around questions I’ve asked. There has been time input on my behalf for absences that were invalid. They fail to explain the way they handle time management as well as absences. This company shouldn’t be used as most people needing any kind of medical leave are typically not doing alright and have enough strife. They do not need to have a third party company come in to only complicate it more. Very disappointed with the service I have received.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The company I work for use Unum for Short Term Disability coverage. I was denied because of my bipolar diagnosis. I have never in my 44 year work history missed a day of work because of it. I have no other chronic health issues, don't smoke, don't drink, work out at least 5 times a week and see a doctor regularly. My disease is managed with medication and I have never had issues. The first time I have felt what it is like to be discriminated against. Would not recommend using them. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: May 14, 2019

UNUM approved my FMLA and then months later denied it stating the paperwork was never received. This was incorrect, The MD office and I both faxed paperwork to them. I received fax confirmation they did receive. For them to deny claim months later is very frustrating and shows the level of carelessness and lack of promptness they treat cases. Upon speaking with Rachel (team lead) she advises me they have been "overwhelmed" Upon requesting expedited care of new case with prompt turn around time, I was told that I would need to speak with a supervisor "Lisa" who is too busy to speak with me at the current time (of course). I have called my Human Resource department and explained the lack of satisfaction and level of competency UNUM is currently providing. C

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have had this insurance for years. I’ve even used it before, when I had cataract surgery. Now I injured my ankle, and will be off for 5 weeks. Despite taking my payments for years, they are now saying I do not have coverage. I have documented proof of them taking my funds. I have notes from two doctors. I work full time and meet all requirements for a claim to be paid. None of that seems to matter. I spoke with two employees and both said I wasn’t covered due to not working at my place of employment?! I work 50+ hours a week when I’m well. I have been paying my premium monthly, direct from my paycheck. This is not acceptable. I have filed complaints with the Florida Attorney General, and they told me this is not all that rare from them over the last couple years. Be weary of any business with this company.

Original review: May 3, 2019

They refused to pay any maternity leave short term disability claim while I pay all my short term disability insurance on time. This is a horrible company that needs to be avoided at all cost. The policy is vague and ambiguous at the best to refuse your benefits.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I called for support after seeing a tragic event at work. When I explained what happened/the reason I was requesting help the lady screamed in the phone and got someone else for me to talk to. Then I was told they would have a referral within 24-48 hours. They never called back. PTSD is a serious thing. Seeing dead people everywhere because you can't get help is worse than pathetic. I've let my boss know. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Most of my claims get denied! They find any excuse to deny your claim! There’s times that they will take up to a month just to get a response. I had an umbilical hernia repair from an accident, so I’ve been out of work going on a month. I submitted everything the day after surgery and 2 weeks later I get a letter that they need a physician statement. They sent the statement straight from surgeon’s office and a week later I decided to call UNUM to find out that they haven’t received it. I call surgeon’s office and they said that they got a confirmation that they did received it. Well going on 4 weeks and they said that as soon as they get that letter it takes 24 hr to process it, and up to 5 days to review it! It’s just horrible! They take out money from my check every week, and when you need them they take their sweet time!

Original review: April 2, 2019

This is the second time I've had to use this company for short term disability due to pregnancy. They were condescending and rude 3 1/2 years ago and they are exactly the same now. I have to stand 8-9 hours a day to do my job. The first time I had round ligament pain so bad at 30 weeks pregnant that I literally could not stand for 1 week while I healed.

After that my MD took me off due to the fact that I could not perform my job duties any longer. They constantly harassed me and made me feel like I was not a hard worker and that I was taking advantage of them. They called me every couple of days to insinuate that I was lying and that I could return to work. It got to the point where I had to tell them that I felt like I was being harassed and that they needed to stop calling me. It was a terrible experience. This time around I wore a support belt so I could work until 36 weeks (which is the normal time to go on mat. leave). I called to initiate the leave and of course the woman had to mention that my MD is taking me "off early". Great.... Here we go again.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My doctor and I have NEVER seen anything like the debacle that is UNUM (short for YOU NUMBSKULL). THEY sure think their savvy talk is fooling us, but they're not. I've caught them in lies, changing dates around to make the Dr and I look like idiots, they're crude, rude and purposefully confusing. They make any blood boil. In my 62 years, I've never seen such a crock of crap company. They are a huge conglomerate and need to go under... WAY under!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Paid premiums for 7 years and had no claims within this period of time. Then signed off work after falling off ladder... Consultant carried out x-rays, MRI scans and highlighted need for corrective surgery on damaged foot and ankle. Throughout this period barely able to walk. Clyde at UNUM requested various documents which were sent promptly... He took his time to investigate and then decided I was fit for work! I'm still awaiting the surgery!!!

Amazing is Clyde... He is able to diagnose a patient's ability to work from behind his desk in Dorking... He is also a super HR Advisor & Occupational Consultant who not only diagnoses me, he knows how I can be integrated back into the workplace and also which specific tasks I can manage... Clyde you are wasted at UNUM, you should be the CEO of the NHS. Avoid this company, it is parasitic... Get your money the totally ignore qualified medical advice. The employees of this company, Clyde included I'm afraid, have no conscience.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am at the end of the appeals process, or at least I was hoping I was. Every couple of days it's a request for another document "that would make a big difference in my appeal". My doctor's office hates me, the last thing was a letter from my doctor who I had to beg for 2 weeks to get. Got the letter, good letter, thought I was done. Now need some kind of office notes that appear in my file but I can' access through my patient portal.

I had written my Unum contact an email last week saying that I thought they were looking for any "t" that wasn't crossed so they could deny me and he told me today (which is why I am writing this) that everyone is different. A professional basketball player could have my conditions and still play. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis with bone spurs, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease throughout my entire spine and just discovered that my discs in my neck are so bad they are compressing my spinal cord and I am in severe pain 24/7. Pass me the ball...

Original review: March 12, 2019

After paying into Unum long term disability for 22 years I was in an accident. Six months after making my first claim, they denied me. Apparently a sprained neck and a TBI do not qualify. So...the doctor can't release me back to work, work can't let me come back without doctor approval, yet Unum thinks I am ready to go back. If you are a company searching for this type of insurance for your employees or an individual seeking extra insurance DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER UNUM!! I'm joining the class action suit that has been filed against them for denying claims or discontinuing existing claims. HORRIBLE COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. RUN...

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Long Term Disability - During open enrollment in 2018, on October 30th, I applied for long term disability coverage. The same day I faxed the completed eligibility of insurance forms and received a confirmation that the fax was received. In December I received an email stating that they needed my eligibility of insurance forms, I called and spoke with them and was told that they had the completed form but hadn’t reviewed them yet. In January, I again received an email stating that they needed my eligibility of insurance forms. I phoned them again and was informed that they did have the forms but hadn’t reviewed them yet.

On February 26, 2019 I logged into my employers benefit site and found a notice in red that the long term disability coverage was waived. I then contacted our benefit administrator. She looked into the issue and said she was informed that I hadn’t sent in my eligibility of insurance forms. I still had the forms as well as the original fax confirmation. That same evening (Feb. 26) I faxed all of that to Unum again including the original fax confirmation.

On the morning of February 27, 2019 I received an email from the benefits administrator stating that she was informed that I had been declined for medical reasons. Funny, that I could be denied when they supposedly had not received my eligibility of insurance forms. I then contacted Unum to ask why I was denied. The representative said she could not tell me, I was then put on hold to see if an underwriter could speak with me. An underwriter was available so I was transferred but had to leave a voice mail.

Short Term Disability - A claim was started as I was scheduled for hip replacement surgery on January 7, 2019. The claim was approved and I had no problems with receiving the weekly payments. On either January 29th or 30th I received a phone call from my assigned case manager. She wanted to know why I hadn’t returned to work and stated that they felt I should be back at work from their review of my job description. I found this interesting since I thought my doctor was in charge of my care and the determination of when I should return to work. In informed her that I was to see the doctor again on February 20th and that I anticipated he would release me to return to work on Monday February 25th. She informed me that was unacceptable and if I saw him on the 20th I needed to be back to work on the 21st.

During this entire conversation it is an understatement to say that she was snippy and condescending to me. I feel that since this is a service paid for by my employer, as the employee I am the customer by default and I shouldn’t have had to be disrespected on the phone by her. I did have my doctor appointment on the 20th and as anticipated he released me to return to work on Monday February 25th. I had been instructed by the case manager to call her after I saw the doctor to update her. Since I didn’t want to deal with her again after the way she behaved during our previous conversation I made it a point to call at lunch time in hopes that I would get her voice mail which it did. I also uploaded the return to work notice online.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have been waiting three months for a determination on my long term disability policy. Each time something else is requested or I am shuffled to another specialist. Still recovering from spine surgery. This is adding unnecessary stress to boot.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I got this life ins. from company I worked at 15 years ago for myself and my husband. Premiums went up every five years. I called Unum about the premium going up. I was not told it was only worth half. So my husband died 1-25-19 and I planned his funeral on the 10,000.00 but surprise I get a call on my voicemail in a soft voice that Unum is only paying 5,000.00 so I am so embarrassed. I had no idea so now I owe the funeral home and I have no money for his marker/stone and my policy is also only worth half. This has been so very disturbing. Not only did my husband die after being married 55 years. Grieving in Philadelphia.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My job uses Unum for short term disability! I have a claim on file since October due maternity. Now that I am on leave and have been since January 21 I am still waiting for payment! Talk to the case manager about my money being direct deposited. She keeps saying “that’s the plan” to release my payments this week! No yes or no. They hold on to your money as long as they can then when you get upset they hang up on you! This company is horrible. They hold on to your money and when you ask for it they hang up! I’ve been talking to someone from there almost every day for the last 3 weeks and every time it’s something different.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I've never written a negative review like this before... But this company deserves this, and you deserve to be warned. My mom passed away 5 months ago. I submitted the claim form and additional documentation as directed. After months of calling them and being redirected back to my mom's company's HR department, we just received a check for half of the amount that is listed in the employee handbook. Friend, these other people who have complained on this site are not telling stories. Beware of Unum.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

During my medical leave from a spinal fusion, I had to call into them several times in order to get my claim moving. They will only approve you to next Dr. appt. Which then required ME to call them, call Dr. etc. I shouldn't have to be constantly following up in order to get paid while I'm in recover for a very invasive surgery.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

There are not enough words to explain my horrible experience with UNUM Insurance Company. They were apathetic, incompetent, disorganized, unprofessional, disrespectful, and intolerable. As a medical professional who suffered a life threatening accident, I was treated with such disdain that I had to fight for services that I was entitled to. As the injured customer I had to facilitate every aspect of my benefits or I wasn’t going to receive proper compensation while I was out of work. I was ridiculed, questioned, at times belittled to prove that I had a serious injury and was unable to walk! Yes you heard right. I was immobile and these SOB’s gave me such a hard time. I hope to never use their services ever again! They are absolutely horrible!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Do not purchase any sort of coverage from this company. I have been fighting with them for almost 90 days now regarding two open claims I have. Each time I call, they request a document that my doctor already sent them. Each time I call, they claim that they reached out to me and did not get a response. I do not get any help from their customer service, they redirect you to their customer portal, which doesn't explain what you need to do. They owe me $8,000 in disability plus another $800 in hospital stay.

They look for any reason not to pay you. I know that all insurance companies may do similar practices; however when I had MetLife coverage (and paid less monthly for it), I did not have these issues. I am in my mid-thirties, have now had 3 hospital stays and one surgery. I work for a commission-based company so if I don't work, I don't get paid. I have had to take out loans against my 401k - all because this company will NOT PAY OUT what is owed to me. I cannot stress this enough - STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMERS.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I am sorry, however, personal details are omitted for security purposes. Consumer Affairs attorney is accepted. I was seriously ill for one year while employed in PA. UNUM apparently routinely takes back all disability dollars they pay out to company employees who get ill while employed. Oddly enough, they insist on knowing the initial amount that SSD pays the ill employee at the time they are declared disabled. Then they demand the amount from the employee adjusted by a few dollars. All legal, according to them. One needs a strong lawyer to challenge them and question the employee's company as to STD and LTD coverage agreements and understandings. With Unum's collection practice of almost all they have paid out to the employee, it begs the question - do they do this only to companies' employees in which the coverage is solely provided for by the companies?! And then, do companies get a return from them?!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am nine months pregnant. About 6 weeks ago, I began to have issues with my right hand. My job is all typing so this was a problem. The pain was constant. The ER said a sprain, my PCP just said keep it in the brace for 10 days. After 10 days, it was significantly worse. Went to Urgent Care and they diagnosed pregnancy induced carpal tunnel.

Later on the same week, I found out I have gestational diabetes on top of it. This is actually more of a cause and effect type thing just backwards as GD can cause the carpal tunnel. Few days later, losing the use of my right arm for helping me out of bed gets me in hospital with a bleed from straining to get up. All the while, I am in dire pain. I can only take ** and it doesn't touch the pain. I see a surgeon and tell him about my wrist and an unrelated lump under my arm. He cannot do the wrist. Lump needs surgery after my daughter is born. Carpal gets referred to orthopedic surgeon... at the earliest date of a month later.

Two more hospital visits, OB appointments are now monitoring me an hour every week. Working on my therapy for my perinatal depression. Now, I have carpal in both hands, which was a 50/50 shot anyways. Doc puts me on light bed rest for slightly elevated BP and the fact that my diet has to be very monitored and regulated. I also have informed UNUM of every thing that has put me in and out of the hospital. Today, they denied my short term disability. I haven't had money in almost 2 months. I am going to be homeless and car-less thanks to them. I have no one to borrow the money from.

I paid them to protect me well before this was ever an issue. Now, 3 weeks from being induced because of my GD, I have this to cope with. There is no help in the picture and all of this for what will be lucky to be 600 a month. I hope they like lawyers because not only did I insure against unplanned health problems but I insured against law problems too. I am an insurance agent. Not stupid.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My husband had a heart even a couple months ago which resulted in him having a coronary artery bypass graft. I was told each of the 5 times I called to inquires about the paperwork and ask questions that due to him having this surgery he would receive a lump sum of 15k. A few weeks later, we received a check for 5G with a letter stating there had to be the specific diagnosis of a heart attack which was never told to me any of the 5 times I called. We were also told his employer chose that he would receive 100% of his pay for his short term disability when in reality, he isn't getting half of what one of his paychecks were and we have to pay in more than what we are getting for his insurance, etc. I have called numerous times and each time I was given incorrect information to which they refuse to make right with anyone.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky