1.17/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

320 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had taken out a life insurance policy on my husband during open enrollment at my then employer. I was advised that his coverage was guaranteed for $50,000 with no medical questions asked. He unfortunately died from a heart attack. Initially Unum wanted me to open a bank account in New York so they could deposit the payment. I advised them I already had a bank account and they could deposit into that or send me a cashiers check. They responded that was not their policy. I then received a phone call from them asking all kinds of questions. One being was my husband receiving a disability check. When I told them he had been they responded that they don't pay for someone on disability until they are no longer disabled. I hired an attorney and Unum would never respond to his calls. Don't get scammed the way I did.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had an accident the first week in June. I have UNUM through my work benefits that I pay a significant amount for every pay period. My claim has been approved for over 2 weeks but I have to receive any money. Every day the rep will call me & say it will be direct deposited today. And every day he has another excuse as to why it hasn’t been paid. I have been out 7 weeks so far & have to receive any payment despite my claim being approved. They take forever to pay you so you have to go back to work sooner than your Dr ordered. That is their business. Yesterday I talked to 3 different reps & I heard 3 different stories as to yet why my claim hasn’t been paid anything. Do yourself a favor & instead of electing a short term disability company, put that money aside & use that for your time. Because you will never receive any payment from UNUM. At this point I think contacting an attorney is my only option. UNUM stands for yoU will Never get yoUr Money.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I obtained STD July 2017 as part of benefit package with my job. A standard selection STD, LTD, etc. In early 2018 a doctor discovered that my hernia needed to be repaired. A surgery I had in 2013 during another unexpected major surgery. Over 4 years later, the doctor discovers that my hernia has ruptured. The previous surgery was an elective so, I was planning to use vacation and involuntary "change over", but found out the hernia needed to be repaired, which would be a 6 week recovery. Had the surgery 06/21/2018. I went back to work 07/09/2018 because the claim was still pending from June. It is 07/23/2018 they have been contacting physicians to obtain information to confirm that I had not been treated in the prior 12 months before securing STD benefits.

Did I mention the benefit selection was for a new job? Still nothing to concerning because I had not received any treatment. The issue is that they have not paid me, although it was a 7 day elimination period, since I filed the claim. I am back to work and lost money that is needed for my household. Unum's has not made a decision and asked that I contact the doctors to let them know they need to return the forms. Well, Unum, the doctors are not my primary physicians. These are the doctors I have seen when there was a medical issue, other than a hernia, i.e. cold, women issues, etc. All of which were related to something entirely different than concerning a hernia.

Stay away from Unum or strategically schedule surgeries because had I waited to have the surgery in July, 2018 the 12 month pre-existing research may have been avoided. However, I am not too sure because the practice to scrutinize a hernia repair that was as much as surprise to me, has become a reason not to pay because it ruptured after 4 years and only one doctor caught it. The saddest part is that I contacted Unum a couple months before to ask about my STD for electing to take care of the hernia because I knew the recovery time was longer than the procedure I was initially going to have done at my own opportunity cost of vacation time. To date, still nothing. "Pending" I have been back to work longer than I took off to have the procedure.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Where do I start? Unum is by far the worst outsourced company I have ever experienced. I've been out of work since June 8th 2018 and have yet to receive my first paycheck. Between the hundreds of documents that they need sent in to each Customer Service Rep telling you something different each time you call. Is it a training issue or what? But they don't even care about one's livelihood.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I went out to my mailbox today and there was a plain envelope there from Tennessee. So I opened it to find this check Dated July 2, 2018. In reading the computer printout, it stated: California Teachers Assn. dated October 2, 2000. That is the date of my Mother’s death. Why does it take 18 years to pay off a life insurance Claim??? I think these are corrupt pigs who stole most of this life insurance from me. No way to prove that because Mom's files have long since been dumped (what the insurance company was counting on!) DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE RATS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: June 30, 2018

My husband and I were in an auto accident and we were rushed to the hospital by ambulance, due to severe back pain and other injuries sustained, we were treated, I had to have an X Ray and CT scan and the same with my husband as well. Because of the airbag, my eyes were swollen shut. I had lacerations on my forearms and we were bruised badly. They gave us such a runaround about getting to them a physician's statement and proof of treatment, bills mounted to thousands of dollars, my health insurance paid some but not all, and found that they are only approved me for $350 and my husband only $150... That doesn't even cover anything at all. What a rip off this is. I would recommend anyone NOT to get this accident insurance, next time, I will try AFLAC and see if they are somewhat better.

Original review: June 16, 2018

After a recent heart attack I decided to use the Critical Illness Policy I have been paying for through my employer. After reading reviews on this site, I was skeptical of ever receiving any benefits, but applied anyway. The Unum reps I called and spoke to for information, were very helpful and assisted me through the entire process, especially with submitting the required documentation. Yesterday (less than 30 days after I applied) I received the critical illness payment as promised on my policy along with other payments for treatments received during my emergency room stay. This payment helped me to pay off my annual insurance deductible and also helped with co-pays for follow up care. Thank you Unum for delivering the product I have been paying for.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I've been on disability since May 3rd. As of June 9th I'm still waiting for a payment. They sent my first checks to the wrong address. When I called and complained I got the runaround about talking to my case manager who if actually does exist leaves work early and doesn't answer calls after 10 A.M. Finally got ahold of their manager and was instantly hung up on 'cause I have no right to be upset. I've waiting so long for a payment that I can't buy groceries or pay my rent. One of the most unprofessional companies I've ever dealt with. E-mail scammers are more organized and professional than these people.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Run for your life. Seriously. So I needed a deep cleaning to prevent gum disease. My gums were clearly receding, my teeth clearly needed more than just a regular cleaning. Frankly, I've finally found a great dentist who cares about the long term health of my teeth. Wish I could say the same about the insurance. I had UNUM through my employer (yes, had, because they dropped that nightmare of insurance this year and switched to something else). My dentist estimated the expense of the procedure, and I paid my part. Everything was great, my gums and teeth looked and felt fantastic. But then UNUM decided that based on the X-Rays my tooth decay wasn't sufficient enough for a deep cleaning. Literally. So they declined to pay their part. My dentist has to re-submit everything over and over, but still the result was the same: "not enough of decay". Really? What is "enough"? Teeth falling out? Deep cleaning is supposed to prevent that.

This is not only frustrating, but also plain stupid: I've prevented a way larger claim. Would you rather have a claim for gum disease treatment or root canal work? I don't think so. Today I received that final bill. They refused to pay what they were supposed to... it has been 2 years of negotiations between UNUM and my dental office (by the way, all IN NETWORK). If you are looking for a personal coverage - don't consider UNUM. If you are an employer, please do your employees a favor and look for a better insurance provider. As I mentioned, my employer dropped them this year. Best decision ever.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I was originally on FMLA due to a medical condition and was scheduled to return to work on May 13th. My doctor subsequently extended my return to work by 6 weeks. Unum was very difficult to work with and took over three weeks to issue payment on the first part of my absence. Despite providing the necessary information for my extension prior to May 13th they have not issued a payment for the second portion of my absence. I have repeatedly been told they have 5 days to do this and 5 days to do that. Despite having received the last information they requested 5 days ago I was just told they need more time to evaluate my situation. I purchased this insurance through my employer. Unfortunately this is the only choice I have.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My daughter was in MICU for a week. My granddaughter has been in NICU for 3 weeks. I requested 1 week off. In order for me to get back to work I need the FMLA application approved. When I filed the application, Unum told me it would take a couple days and that I would be back to work the next Monday. It's been 3 weeks. Today I finally hear from them. They asked me if I started back work on the 7th. I reminded them I was waiting on the application to get approved. Then they acted like they remembered and told me that they were waiting on information from the hospital and for me to send them the paperwork back that they sent.

I never received a call or paperwork so I asked what address they had. They had the street address but forgot to put down the unit number. There's 420 units. Now I have to do their job, contact the doctor, gather information and wait for them to resend the paperwork. My family depends on my income. 3 weeks so far without pay and counting. I checked other reviews and it's really disappointing that my company would hire Unum to do anything especially when it's something so important.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am on STD due to an accident and worsening health because of it. My company has been supportive about approving my leave, however UNUM is a nightmare to work with. I have been faithful in providing documentation to them on a regular basis, as have my doctors. I have even done more than asked several times in order to give them warm and fuzzies. Yet, they bother my doctors non-stop to get every single piece of documentation there is. They also make me jump through hoops--with various evaluations even though they have plenty of evidence from doctors. Once I jump through one hoop -- they ask for the next hoop. Here is the deal with UNUM. They seem to be an organizational mess. Their website is rudimentary and sloppily designed. You put information out there (e.g., doctor names/addresses) and they seem to ignore it and dredge up old addresses from ten years ago.

They don't seem to read what I send them and have no inclination or ability to understand the big picture. When we do send too much medical evidence--they complain and need more time. They don't seem to have real clinical knowledge about medical conditions--so they have unrealistic expectations for recovery and ask dumb questions (like why aren't you all better after six months of treatment). The worst part is they continuously HOLD UP PAYMENTS. They chop the STD into small durations and STOP COVERING you until they get the next set of documents and leisurely make their decisions to continue your disability payments. Meanwhile they create a perfect financial storm for their beneficiaries. I hate to say it but I believe all disability programs including the federal government are intentionally this way.

There is no time to heal when you are on disability. You are too busy jumping through expensive hoops, convincing them you are not lying, and convincing your providers to fill out their prolific, poorly designed forms and providing them with volumes of information. I hired an attorney because I can read the writing on the wall about how they will make my life hell during LTD. Disability (and workman's comp) insurers and administrators like this are ruining the healthcare system. Because they are sloppy, inefficient and insincere if their efforts to pay for benefits, doctors don't want to participate in any sort of case that may involve disability, beneficiaries are financially ruined, and this is becoming a system that can't operate without attorneys. One can only hope ALL of them have to experience disability at some point and reap what they sow.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I am an Accounts Payable Administrator and am responsible for scheduling payment for our disability invoices that we receive from UNUM. These invoices always arrive late compared to our other insurance companies, calls are barely returned and come days later. Their e-mail system is extremely user unfriendly. I have spoken to two representatives and in both situations have found them to be rude and unprofessional. Our subscribers have complained of poor treatment and wait time for claims. Thank goodness there are many more options for employers to choose alternative disability insurance with a company that will provide better customer service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have paid into UNUM disability insurance for 11 years, first time filing a claim has been the worst experience ever. The assigned claim manager never calls back, have been fighting my claim for payment for almost a month when there is documentation on file. Had to call for a manager, took a week to get a call back after I called twice and left messages complaining. I will be canceling my policy with them, not recommending this company. They do not have your best interest at heart, they just want your money, and have no desire to help when you need it the most.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’ve never taken off from work under FMLA until my mother was placed into hospice care after fighting Stage IV metastatic cancer for over 5 years. I was immobilized with grief and anxiety throughout the entire process of helplessly waiting for her to die. Unum is still “processing” my claim! I’m about to return to work next week and they still haven’t decided to pay me or not. No one should be expected to go through all of this at a time when they’re unable to cope with anything. Even getting out of bed has been a struggle. My employer has been 100% supportive but this insurance company is ridiculous!

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is the worst insurance company I’ve dealt with my entire life. I had emergency surgery and filed my claim (short term disability) a week before, they still haven’t fixed their mess! My surgery was 2/19, they placed me “back to work” 3/2. I am not cleared until 4/2 and they keep giving me the runaround! Just because you can’t work, doesn’t mean your bills stop!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have paid for Unum long term disability insurance for 6 years. I recently filed benefits. Was denied because they have a 180 day limit of which you have to file in. This was not in place when policy was purchased. They suck.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My rep on my insurance claim never calls me back. Cannot find out anything about my claim. Cannot get on to the website. The website is so poorly done I could not even register to find out about my claim. I'm so frustrated with this whole company is unreal. You can't even get ahold of the operator 'cause she's always busy and you get cut off. You cannot get ahold of this company. It's horrible. And when you're sick and, or recovering from a major surgery who wants to deal with this.

Original review: March 1, 2018 They are very hostile if you extend the FMLA. In the beginning they were quite cordial however once I had to extend the FMLA per doctor's orders, I received a quite hostile phone call. I was asked in a stern and accusatory voice: "What is the hold up for going to work?" "What is wrong?' "Has your doctor changed your medication then since you are incapable of going to work?" "But you are able to take care of your child, clean around the home and go to the grocery store right?"

I felt accused and accosted in a corner. I felt like I had done something wrong. I have worked 20 years and have never taken FMLA. I was taken aback and disgusted by the UNUM customer service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This client was employed with a company for over 10 years working many days sick. I’m typing this review for her because she has poor vision. However, UNUM finally awarded her benefits for 6 months, after 3, of her physicians signed off declaring her disabled to continue her benefits. This client went 2 years going to neurologist and other doctors being misdiagnosed. After a near death experience and vision loss and increased intracranial hypertension diagnosis that causes daily headaches. The headaches intensifies so badly that the client is unable to participate in daily activities because leaning forward, lying in bed, are a few of the things that makes the headache pain intensify. She has to have help with bathing because of frequent falls.

The client's vision is so bad she is unable to drive. She is unable to watch TV, interact with her kids. Her mom and other family members help with her activities of daily living and she has 2 small kids. She has applied for state level disability. Unum has notified her that a nonmedical representative will come to her home to interview her before further decisions and payments can be made. How can nonmedical personnel decide on medical decisions. An attorney will be present. This is ridiculous. She has always worked as a nurse and would love to return to work now but her condition is not going to allow it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I bought this Hospital Indemnity Insurance through my company. Total waste of money. My child went in for Brain surgery for 3 days and they refused to pay. They said that her surgery was due to a pre-existing illness because she has Epilepsy, so for that reason they refused to pay. This set me back quite a bit because I had to take off of work to take care of her. They told me that I had to be with them for a year before they would consider paying. Actually they are just a ripoff but they continue to take my payments but no service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

On Dec 10th I had a very bad case of vertigo which caused me to have an anxiety attack. I called my husband home from work to take me to the ER. I couldn't walk without help because of everything spinning. I was fine for a few days and went back to work and had another attack on Dec 20th, I was at work and called my doctor to see if I could come in. I go in and I tell him I have vertigo and everything is spinning, he tells me that I can't go to work like that, so he took me off work until Jan 18th.

I was still having the vertigo about every other day or so. I went back to my doctor on the 16th of Jan and told him that I was still having the vertigo and the anxiety attacks so he said he wanted to get to the bottom of this and took me off work until March 13th. I haven't received a check since I've been off from Unum, so I called and they said that they don't pay on mental disorders. I told the guy that vertigo is not a mental disorder and that I had never had panic attacks or anxiety attacks unroll I started having vertigo. He told me I could appeal it. I will appeal it once I get my letter.

I just think this is a way for them not to pay me. Vertigo is a condition that comes on without warning and it can cause panic attacks because you're so dizzy and can't control it. I need my money, I pay into this and it's not right. I didn't tell the doctor to take me off, he said he wanted to make sure there wasn't underlying problems, so I have to go to a cardiologist and wear a heart monitor and pray that it has nothing to do with my heart, but all this stress is uncalled for. I don't have a mental illness, I have VERTIGO that can cause anxiety and panicky attacks. There is a big difference.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been trying to receive my benefits due to injury. On 3 Sept. 2017 I was injured in my spinal column and have been out of work for over 4 months. My employer sent appropriate paperwork to get benefits started and Unum sent me forms. It took my employer several days to get me in to see their clinic although ER stated no return to work but needed to see ortho and MRI and follow up. The doctor said I could return to light duty without MRI then I had my MRI results came back with several herniated discs. I returned to ask doctor about treatment and made him knowledgeable that insurance company had no scheduled ortho and neither did they and was in severe pain. He decided upon reading results to take me out of work till ortho can see me for further review...

I'm still waiting till 29th of month to finally see doc in pain and barely mobile without mass assistance of extremely strong prescription meds. I sent all paperwork to Unum and I hadn't heard anything. Several weeks go by and next thing I know I get another paper packet so I call. They say, "Never received" so I faxed this time.

In this time frame I had spoke to several people whom said I would get paid usually within 5 days after papers received. I called to ask if they were received and told yes and as we were reviewing papers received I told rep about doctor at clinic refuse to fill out statement but had sent copy of last visit removing me till further review and I was told that should be plenty... She said she would have case manager call me back to discuss if they needed anything else when the case manager called me back.

She was reviewing the forms with me and then states, "Oh you were here at work. Well we don't cover that. That your insurance would only cover if you were hurt anywhere else basically." I said, "Excuse me ma'am. My company sent everything over who the insurance is through and deducted through my paychecks to you and I was told several times over the phone as soon as the paperwork was fully filled out that the claim would be processed" and I would be receiving payment pretty fast and then now I'm being told that my claim is being denied because it happened at work and my workman's comp is responsible for paying my money and they are not do anything.

So I asked to speak to her supervisor and her supervisor calls me claiming the same thing that the policy doesn't cover if you were hurt at work yet my employer themselves who is head of the workman's comp sent the paperwork over to them and had also told me that it would cover most likely only be additional one-third pay to go to at the 2/3 pay of workman's comp. Apparently the supervisor had claimed that she have spoke with my employer's office saying that I was upset my payout was only supposed to be for up to 13 weeks.

I have been out of work for over 18 weeks. They are due the full payout. I have met plenty of medical proof and have paid my benefit every week and was told that everything would be fine as soon as I receive the paperwork and then as soon as they receive the paperwork told me they were denying my claim and that I can appeal it but they weren't going to do anything about it. I told them I was going to let everybody I know that I work with the same thing about all this that I have been reading and I will make sure that everybody that I can pulls their benefits from them as well as I will be posting this all over social media. When I told the lady on the phone about that she said that she will be getting in touch with their Communications expert. Apparently going to try to block me from letting people know what this company has been doing to people.

I will be calling that state head insurance. I'm going to be calling an attorney and I could care less if I see a penny out of this and the attorney gets every bit of it. Unum needs to be shut down. They need to pay back the people they owe money for and CEOs need to go to jail actually. I actually read on another site on Facebook where the company was found to have a denial quota and that they were found guilty and fined millions of dollars and are still doing it today. They were told to review over 200,000 cases and go back and pay people back and have done not even 10% of that. The government continues to let them operate even though they know that this company is a total fraud. There will be media. There will be repercussions.

I may be only one person but through all these other post I see there are many and I have read places that there are class action suits against Unum. I encourage everybody on here to look up those class action suit and find your Justice. Let's shut them down people. This company should not exist any longer messing with the small man. It's total thievery.

We know that insurance companies ain't in the habit of wanting to pay most of the time but when people have every bit of their paperwork and have done everything they're supposed to do and have proof that they have been hurt and were sold a policy that insurance company should pay. That's what your insurance company is there for to have your back and any company that is selling insurance to their employees that they know is this bad and have such a bad rating might be a company you want to take a second look at keeping a career with because they obviously don't care if you were to get hurt you would be of no use to them any further.

My advice spread the word through any social media and through any internet site you can. I will be doing the same and I will be making as many phone calls as I can because I have nothing but time on my hands due to the fact I'm sitting here waiting to even start healing. I will try to do what I can for the rest of you that have been wronged.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I am 67 and according to UNUM my policy is up and they consider me no longer disabled. (even though I am still with the same disability). UNUM informed me the $180 a month long term disability payments from UNUM have stopped as of my last birthday. These payments were not given to me, instead were held by them to pay back the workers comp monies I received upon losing my job. They explained Unum no longer owes me any more money that can be applied to the "debt I owe".

There is a $19,000 + amount due and they are requesting payment in full. The State of Florida still considers me disabled, but Social Security does not. Unum never placed a lien on me when I received my Social Security back benefits, they just sent me a collection letter. I writing this review because this kind of policy situation puts an insurance company in full control of my life... very scary and there should be a better way to handle disability claims. I still can't work and the little money I do have is crucial to my well being, certainly need it more than UNUM.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I see the same complaints here over and over about UNUM claiming not to receive doctor notes. I can assure you I have followed up over and over again throughout my experience so far with UNUM and they make this claim even when you have proof that records were sent. Throughout the short-term process I would go 4-5 weeks at times without pay while they claimed to not receive documents. I follow up with the doctor's offices and they have dates and times documents were sent via fax and then we find out they now want them faxed to a different number. This was a game that happened over and over again. I honestly believe they do this to try to run out the clock on your claim so they can justify denying it.

Now I am about 9 weeks without pay again, transitioning over to long-term and AGAIN they are claiming to be missing documents even though I called in to speak with representatives about the transition from short to long-term and was assured they had all my medical records and it should not be an issue. Well they came back and have re-requested ALL of the same documents over and over again with my doctors... One of them even giving up faxing them and instead sent them overnight through UPS with a signature confirmation for proof that they were received. No wonder our medical costs are so high when you have insurance companies being so horrible at their jobs or blatantly doing these things on purpose! I do not know about most of you but not many people have a 4-6 month nest egg sitting there to cover all your bills and such when these companies play these games with our lives.

My automobile has already been repossessed now and my home is in jeopardy next! I had to make tough choices, keep my lights on, get groceries, fill medications and pay for doctor visits or keep my car. And now this month, NO Christmas here at our house and literally no food next month it seems! Go over to the UNUM Facebook page and share your stories, I have more friends/followers than they do and the only posts on their page are mostly negative... I had to do a lot of searching to find this page and I feel we all need to get our stories/experiences out there in social media to expose these kinds of practices!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

When my spouse bought long term care insurance nearly 20 years ago, she was guaranteed that rates would "never" increase. Her annual premium in 1999 was $1,963. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has allowed them to increase rates so that the annual premium is $2,799. Now they are allowing another 40% increase to $3,912 per year. My spouse is now 75 years old. This 40% increase is unconscionable given the number of years she has paid into the insurance plan. Social Security certainly isn't going to go up 40%. I simply do not understand why this is not treated as a legal breach of contract. Another case of Massachusetts failing to protect consumers and the elderly against predatory business practices.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a very rare disease called desmoid tumor. It’s like cancer but does not spread throughout the body but reoccurs aggressively. I have had 2 surgeries since 8/21/17. Just had my last one Dec 11/17. I was off for 7 wks and did not receive a pay check. I call everyday. They always have a different story. I was in Hospital and just got out 12/13/17. I called them because still no money. After being admitted and drainage tubes and my spine being operated on still no money. My pcp fills everything out numerous times. I told chole ** that and no sooner I hung up the phone I looked at my app for Unum and she closed my claim. I’m stuck with this disease and my child gets nothing for Xmas not to mention I’m backed up on bills and don’t get me started on my medical bills. WORSE COMPANY EVER!!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

By NOT allowing individuals to cancel the policy during open enrollment, via online enrollment sites (like Benetrac), and forcing subscribers to "call" Unum (so no documentation exists) - you're trying to scam individuals into not being able to cancel their policies. I'm cancelling because the customer service was DIFFICULT at best - making it extremely hard to file a 'valid' claim - this is NOT an insurance company I want to deal with on ANY policy. AIG, State Farm & Amica are all SUPERIOR at customer service, therefore, they will get my life insurance, accident insurance and anything else I can eliminate from Unum. Sad Company...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I bought Unum short-term disability insurance through my company 2 years ago. I needed my breast implants removed due to capsular contraction/scar formation (which is eligible for insurance coverage). After my application was processed, I went online to see that my case has been closed with a $6000 benefit, I was on disability for a total of 6 weeks with a 14-day eligibility period. I called to ask when the benefits will be mailed. The agent stated, yes, I qualified for benefits but no $ will be issued to me. They are 'actually managing my disability leave with my company'. How can a monetary amount be assigned to my case and no $ sent to me?

If they really assisted with managing my disability leave with my company, I was being paid by my own company with my OWN SICK DAYS. My 110 hour sick time ran out, despite my 220 hours of PTO, I only got paid 4 weeks of pay, I received NO paycheck by weeks 5 and 6. This caused my mortgage payment to be short, I was penalized, in addition to my $600 worth of NSF nonsufficient fund fees at $30 per transaction on all my autobill pays due the rest of my sick days.

To say that they're not sending me my benefits due to them managing my disability is plain BOGUS. Where's my benefits? That could have easily gotten me out of this financial mess! That was Unum's selling point! That they are in business to 'take care of what matters most' when you are disabled. Unum, just close shop! This company is run by crooks! I am due to renew my insurance plans next month and I will cancel my coverage with them. Their business is a joke! People need to know not to waste their hard earned money with them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a long time customer of Unum Life Insurance. I purchased a term life insurance policy when I left my employer in 2001. It started out as a 57K Life insurance policy, and the rates have gone up exponentially every 5 years. This year because I am turning 65 my rates went up $350.00. When I turn 70 my benefits are cut in half. What kind of business is this? That forces people to pay an enormous amount for life insurance and then turns around and cuts your benefits in half. I wish I had stock in this company or was a CEO, I would be a millionaire. Don't get sucked into their life insurance policies - not worth it in the long run.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Chattanooga
TN
www.unum.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business