Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: July 7, 2020

I’ve been paying in to my disability for seven years with the confidence it would be there if I needed it. But Unum practically asks for everything while in recovery. I was in a coma and in a hospital 3 hours from home and the agent was snippy about not filing when I was hospitalized—- I didn’t even know what month it was. I forgot an entire week of my life and went into multi organ failure. They want statements from every single doctor and want to know every test done. The test results alone are 500 pages. I know they aren’t being reviewed by a physician. I got out of the hospital a month ago and they act like I should have returned to work the day after I woke up from a coma when I was still intubated and couldn’t remember my mom’s phone number. Even my supervisors at work don’t expect me back right now.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have to quarantine for 3 weeks, due to Covid-19. I applied for Short-term disability and was told I don't qualify because I am not disabled. I have a letter from the clinic, I was tested at and a letter from the Health department stating I cannot work. This company is a joke.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I was in a car accident in March 13th, a big truck trailer cross the traffic, the driver didn’t see me. I am alive just because God is good and save me. So Unum insurance don’t care about people, they care how don’t pay you and send you quickly to work, I have problems with my low back, upper back, left eye and left leg after car accident, since the first day that they call me their questions it was, when you will start to work.

So they obligate the doctors to tell them when you should come back to work, but if the doctor give you a date to start, and after that you don’t start because you are still sick, you really nightmare start, because they stop paying you, and start to put excuses on you that the doctor said, or you said to does not pay you. And they said that they need reviews my case again, I am going with physical therapist, chiropractor, primary doctor, lawyer, they are asking to everyone if I could work, they receive all papers, then they said they need to review again the documents.

After 8 days, you call and ask why they don’t approve to pay you, and they said they need more about x or y reason, then tell you, oh we didn’t get information from someone, then you go and ask to the doctor, did you send this information the doctor said yes, you call back and state that he sent the information, and they give another excuse, totally that is the way how they work, they could pay you good 6 weeks, but after that get ready to get angry and fight or just stop talking to them because they will ignore anything from the doctor and they will seek for a fail from you or your doctor to don’t pay you.

So please if your company have this short term insurance run away, look and investigate for another kind of insurance that don’t make you live a nightmare, they stop paying me since May 11th, I could not walk very good, I am painfully to walk, lift something, I wish to go to work, because I pay child support, car payments and all the rest of my bills, even the money that they send me those weeks, it wasn’t enough to cover my spend but really if was helping me a little bit, but now I have to deal with all my bills by my own and with my health, it’s a really a nightmare that I am living with all my bills and Unum don’t care about. This my little testimony. So don’t believe what the website says about them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Got short term disability through my employer to have a CS. When I called Unum to find out what I was covered for. They explained I would be covered for 6 weeks with a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks with a CS. They also said there was no elimination period. I was doubtful about the elimination period so I called back a couple weeks later. They confirmed I would have a 2 week elim period but everything else was the same. I had my CS and received my payments after my elim period and thought everything was good. My payments stopped after 4 weeks. I called and the lady said that my policy didn't cover a CS. It just said any labor would cover 6 weeks. I then said, "OK but I've only received 4 payments". She said, "The elimination period counts as 2 payments and those are not paid out." WTF.

I called TWICE to make sure things were set so I'd be ready to be out of work. Now I will not be paid for 4 weeks of what I thought I would. Also, I have never received an email or paperwork outlining my benefits and when I go to my employer it says I have to contact Unum and when I go to their website and sign in the benefits that come up are the general ones 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for CS yet when I question that they say it depends on the employer and the coverage they offer. I will be taking this as high as I can go and possibly get a lawyer if I have to because I am tired of these insurance companies taking advantage of people. Especially when we are at our most vulnerable. Nothing but a bunch of vultures.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Me being on short term disability And this company being in charge of it. Does not do any type of follow up with the doctor when they send paperwork. Nor do they let the client know any information at all. It is asinine and ridiculous.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I filed a short-term disability claim. I have been off work for over a month. The woman who is my case worker or whatever you call her is rude and hateful. They have everything they need. Their allowed amount of days are over and still I haven't heard anything from them! When I call I'm told we have 5 to 7 days. Okay, it's been past that. I'm a single mother and I have bills to pay and food to buy. They never call back or answer emails. They always have some form of excuse as to why they haven't done their job. They haven't even updated my information showing they have my doctor's paperwork, which they have already stated they had. My doctor's office stated they sent it over two weeks ago as well. It is one huge game to these people. We pay in, yet, they do not want to pay us when we become ill or injured.

I have cancer and had to have a bone marrow biopsy last week. A spinal tap this week because my neurologist believes I have MS. I drive a forklift. I have been passing out, can't breathe, have lesions on my brain, and I'm always tired. But some how these people find it okay to play with my life. I have to have my health insurance because I'm very sick. How am I supposed to pay my premiums if they do not pay me. If they do not have my stuff completed today I will be having my lawyer take over from here. I refuse to lose everything due to a company taking my money but refusing to do their job!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Dealing with this company has been an absolute nightmare. I first filed our claim 7 months ago. They kept stalling by asking for more and more and more paperwork. Constant delays. It's now 7 months later and we have not seen one penny yet. The most recent game they played was mailing the first disability check by snail mail instead of direct depositing it like they were supposed to. And to add insult to injury, they debited our checking account for a premium this month that was not supposed to be taken! Ugh! Don't do business with them, unless you have a huge tolerance for BS!

Original review: March 28, 2020

This is the worst company that can possibly exist. When I filed a claim I was jerked around for over 3 months. After the one hour initial phone interview I realized these people were not going to may my claim. They researched and researched for months sending thousands of forms to fill out. Numerous phone calls to the incompetent claim adjuster only to hear her stupid voice monotonously answer "Still waiting for documents". After 3 months to the day they found some some excuse to deny claim. Now it’s up to me to take it to arbitration, but the arbitration is their own company. I think a regulatory agency should investigate this company. It’s shameful that one's legal benefits are denied.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

When you see the Unum name run baby run. Worst company ever to deal with. My employer uses them to manage FMLA. Unum tries discourage you from using fmla by having doctors fill out the same form several times. I’m a union rep. Unum denied an employee's fmla because she couldn’t tell them how many days she would miss after chemo!!! We fought. Our employer had it reversed and approved. That’s just one example. If your employer uses them you don’t have a choice. But please don’t purchase on your own. I promise you’ll be sorry!!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My brother opened an insurance policy for his daughter when she was born. He was killed in a car wreck when she was 2 and I was listed on the policy as c/o on account. All thru the duration they would send statements and change of address forms for me to keep her address current in the file. When she turned 18 they had 5 different excuses as to why her money was not available. They are claiming the account is abandoned yet I have a letter confirming removal of block on account. These people are sleazy.

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor