3.22/5

347 Unum Insurance Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Unum insurance agency was very thorough and processed my claim quickly. I submitted all the necessary insurance paperwork and I was paid for Short Term Disability, Hospital Indemnity and Accident Coverage within 2 weeks. Will definitely recommend to others at my job. Thanks to Unum for making this so easy during a difficult time!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Most of my claims get denied! They find any excuse to deny your claim! There’s times that they will take up to a month just to get a response. I had an umbilical hernia repair from an accident, so I’ve been out of work going on a month. I submitted everything the day after surgery and 2 weeks later I get a letter that they need a physician statement. They sent the statement straight from surgeon’s office and a week later I decided to call UNUM to find out that they haven’t received it. I call surgeon’s office and they said that they got a confirmation that they did received it. Well going on 4 weeks and they said that as soon as they get that letter it takes 24 hr to process it, and up to 5 days to review it! It’s just horrible! They take out money from my check every week, and when you need them they take their sweet time!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

This is the second time I've had to use this company for short term disability due to pregnancy. They were condescending and rude 3 1/2 years ago and they are exactly the same now. I have to stand 8-9 hours a day to do my job. The first time I had round ligament pain so bad at 30 weeks pregnant that I literally could not stand for 1 week while I healed.

After that my MD took me off due to the fact that I could not perform my job duties any longer. They constantly harassed me and made me feel like I was not a hard worker and that I was taking advantage of them. They called me every couple of days to insinuate that I was lying and that I could return to work. It got to the point where I had to tell them that I felt like I was being harassed and that they needed to stop calling me. It was a terrible experience. This time around I wore a support belt so I could work until 36 weeks (which is the normal time to go on mat. leave). I called to initiate the leave and of course the woman had to mention that my MD is taking me "off early". Great.... Here we go again.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My doctor and I have NEVER seen anything like the debacle that is UNUM (short for YOU NUMBSKULL). THEY sure think their savvy talk is fooling us, but they're not. I've caught them in lies, changing dates around to make the Dr and I look like idiots, they're crude, rude and purposefully confusing. They make any blood boil. In my 62 years, I've never seen such a crock of crap company. They are a huge conglomerate and need to go under... WAY under!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Paid premiums for 7 years and had no claims within this period of time. Then signed off work after falling off ladder... Consultant carried out x-rays, MRI scans and highlighted need for corrective surgery on damaged foot and ankle. Throughout this period barely able to walk. Clyde at UNUM requested various documents which were sent promptly... He took his time to investigate and then decided I was fit for work! I'm still awaiting the surgery!!!

Amazing is Clyde... He is able to diagnose a patient's ability to work from behind his desk in Dorking... He is also a super HR Advisor & Occupational Consultant who not only diagnoses me, he knows how I can be integrated back into the workplace and also which specific tasks I can manage... Clyde you are wasted at UNUM, you should be the CEO of the NHS. Avoid this company, it is parasitic... Get your money the totally ignore qualified medical advice. The employees of this company, Clyde included I'm afraid, have no conscience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am at the end of the appeals process, or at least I was hoping I was. Every couple of days it's a request for another document "that would make a big difference in my appeal". My doctor's office hates me, the last thing was a letter from my doctor who I had to beg for 2 weeks to get. Got the letter, good letter, thought I was done. Now need some kind of office notes that appear in my file but I can' access through my patient portal.

I had written my Unum contact an email last week saying that I thought they were looking for any "t" that wasn't crossed so they could deny me and he told me today (which is why I am writing this) that everyone is different. A professional basketball player could have my conditions and still play. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis with bone spurs, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease throughout my entire spine and just discovered that my discs in my neck are so bad they are compressing my spinal cord and I am in severe pain 24/7. Pass me the ball...

Original review: March 12, 2019

After paying into Unum long term disability for 22 years I was in an accident. Six months after making my first claim, they denied me. Apparently a sprained neck and a TBI do not qualify. So...the doctor can't release me back to work, work can't let me come back without doctor approval, yet Unum thinks I am ready to go back. If you are a company searching for this type of insurance for your employees or an individual seeking extra insurance DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER UNUM!! I'm joining the class action suit that has been filed against them for denying claims or discontinuing existing claims. HORRIBLE COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. RUN...

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Long Term Disability - During open enrollment in 2018, on October 30th, I applied for long term disability coverage. The same day I faxed the completed eligibility of insurance forms and received a confirmation that the fax was received. In December I received an email stating that they needed my eligibility of insurance forms, I called and spoke with them and was told that they had the completed form but hadn’t reviewed them yet. In January, I again received an email stating that they needed my eligibility of insurance forms. I phoned them again and was informed that they did have the forms but hadn’t reviewed them yet.

On February 26, 2019 I logged into my employers benefit site and found a notice in red that the long term disability coverage was waived. I then contacted our benefit administrator. She looked into the issue and said she was informed that I hadn’t sent in my eligibility of insurance forms. I still had the forms as well as the original fax confirmation. That same evening (Feb. 26) I faxed all of that to Unum again including the original fax confirmation.

On the morning of February 27, 2019 I received an email from the benefits administrator stating that she was informed that I had been declined for medical reasons. Funny, that I could be denied when they supposedly had not received my eligibility of insurance forms. I then contacted Unum to ask why I was denied. The representative said she could not tell me, I was then put on hold to see if an underwriter could speak with me. An underwriter was available so I was transferred but had to leave a voice mail.

Short Term Disability - A claim was started as I was scheduled for hip replacement surgery on January 7, 2019. The claim was approved and I had no problems with receiving the weekly payments. On either January 29th or 30th I received a phone call from my assigned case manager. She wanted to know why I hadn’t returned to work and stated that they felt I should be back at work from their review of my job description. I found this interesting since I thought my doctor was in charge of my care and the determination of when I should return to work. In informed her that I was to see the doctor again on February 20th and that I anticipated he would release me to return to work on Monday February 25th. She informed me that was unacceptable and if I saw him on the 20th I needed to be back to work on the 21st.

During this entire conversation it is an understatement to say that she was snippy and condescending to me. I feel that since this is a service paid for by my employer, as the employee I am the customer by default and I shouldn’t have had to be disrespected on the phone by her. I did have my doctor appointment on the 20th and as anticipated he released me to return to work on Monday February 25th. I had been instructed by the case manager to call her after I saw the doctor to update her. Since I didn’t want to deal with her again after the way she behaved during our previous conversation I made it a point to call at lunch time in hopes that I would get her voice mail which it did. I also uploaded the return to work notice online.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have been waiting three months for a determination on my long term disability policy. Each time something else is requested or I am shuffled to another specialist. Still recovering from spine surgery. This is adding unnecessary stress to boot.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I got this life ins. from company I worked at 15 years ago for myself and my husband. Premiums went up every five years. I called Unum about the premium going up. I was not told it was only worth half. So my husband died 1-25-19 and I planned his funeral on the 10,000.00 but surprise I get a call on my voicemail in a soft voice that Unum is only paying 5,000.00 so I am so embarrassed. I had no idea so now I owe the funeral home and I have no money for his marker/stone and my policy is also only worth half. This has been so very disturbing. Not only did my husband die after being married 55 years. Grieving in Philadelphia.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My job uses Unum for short term disability! I have a claim on file since October due maternity. Now that I am on leave and have been since January 21 I am still waiting for payment! Talk to the case manager about my money being direct deposited. She keeps saying “that’s the plan” to release my payments this week! No yes or no. They hold on to your money as long as they can then when you get upset they hang up on you! This company is horrible. They hold on to your money and when you ask for it they hang up! I’ve been talking to someone from there almost every day for the last 3 weeks and every time it’s something different.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I've never written a negative review like this before... But this company deserves this, and you deserve to be warned. My mom passed away 5 months ago. I submitted the claim form and additional documentation as directed. After months of calling them and being redirected back to my mom's company's HR department, we just received a check for half of the amount that is listed in the employee handbook. Friend, these other people who have complained on this site are not telling stories. Beware of Unum.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

During my medical leave from a spinal fusion, I had to call into them several times in order to get my claim moving. They will only approve you to next Dr. appt. Which then required ME to call them, call Dr. etc. I shouldn't have to be constantly following up in order to get paid while I'm in recover for a very invasive surgery.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

There are not enough words to explain my horrible experience with UNUM Insurance Company. They were apathetic, incompetent, disorganized, unprofessional, disrespectful, and intolerable. As a medical professional who suffered a life threatening accident, I was treated with such disdain that I had to fight for services that I was entitled to. As the injured customer I had to facilitate every aspect of my benefits or I wasn’t going to receive proper compensation while I was out of work. I was ridiculed, questioned, at times belittled to prove that I had a serious injury and was unable to walk! Yes you heard right. I was immobile and these SOB’s gave me such a hard time. I hope to never use their services ever again! They are absolutely horrible!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Do not purchase any sort of coverage from this company. I have been fighting with them for almost 90 days now regarding two open claims I have. Each time I call, they request a document that my doctor already sent them. Each time I call, they claim that they reached out to me and did not get a response. I do not get any help from their customer service, they redirect you to their customer portal, which doesn't explain what you need to do. They owe me $8,000 in disability plus another $800 in hospital stay.

They look for any reason not to pay you. I know that all insurance companies may do similar practices; however when I had MetLife coverage (and paid less monthly for it), I did not have these issues. I am in my mid-thirties, have now had 3 hospital stays and one surgery. I work for a commission-based company so if I don't work, I don't get paid. I have had to take out loans against my 401k - all because this company will NOT PAY OUT what is owed to me. I cannot stress this enough - STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMERS.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I am sorry, however, personal details are omitted for security purposes. Consumer Affairs attorney is accepted. I was seriously ill for one year while employed in PA. UNUM apparently routinely takes back all disability dollars they pay out to company employees who get ill while employed. Oddly enough, they insist on knowing the initial amount that SSD pays the ill employee at the time they are declared disabled. Then they demand the amount from the employee adjusted by a few dollars. All legal, according to them. One needs a strong lawyer to challenge them and question the employee's company as to STD and LTD coverage agreements and understandings. With Unum's collection practice of almost all they have paid out to the employee, it begs the question - do they do this only to companies' employees in which the coverage is solely provided for by the companies?! And then, do companies get a return from them?!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am nine months pregnant. About 6 weeks ago, I began to have issues with my right hand. My job is all typing so this was a problem. The pain was constant. The ER said a sprain, my PCP just said keep it in the brace for 10 days. After 10 days, it was significantly worse. Went to Urgent Care and they diagnosed pregnancy induced carpal tunnel.

Later on the same week, I found out I have gestational diabetes on top of it. This is actually more of a cause and effect type thing just backwards as GD can cause the carpal tunnel. Few days later, losing the use of my right arm for helping me out of bed gets me in hospital with a bleed from straining to get up. All the while, I am in dire pain. I can only take ** and it doesn't touch the pain. I see a surgeon and tell him about my wrist and an unrelated lump under my arm. He cannot do the wrist. Lump needs surgery after my daughter is born. Carpal gets referred to orthopedic surgeon... at the earliest date of a month later.

Two more hospital visits, OB appointments are now monitoring me an hour every week. Working on my therapy for my perinatal depression. Now, I have carpal in both hands, which was a 50/50 shot anyways. Doc puts me on light bed rest for slightly elevated BP and the fact that my diet has to be very monitored and regulated. I also have informed UNUM of every thing that has put me in and out of the hospital. Today, they denied my short term disability. I haven't had money in almost 2 months. I am going to be homeless and car-less thanks to them. I have no one to borrow the money from.

I paid them to protect me well before this was ever an issue. Now, 3 weeks from being induced because of my GD, I have this to cope with. There is no help in the picture and all of this for what will be lucky to be 600 a month. I hope they like lawyers because not only did I insure against unplanned health problems but I insured against law problems too. I am an insurance agent. Not stupid.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My husband had a heart even a couple months ago which resulted in him having a coronary artery bypass graft. I was told each of the 5 times I called to inquires about the paperwork and ask questions that due to him having this surgery he would receive a lump sum of 15k. A few weeks later, we received a check for 5G with a letter stating there had to be the specific diagnosis of a heart attack which was never told to me any of the 5 times I called. We were also told his employer chose that he would receive 100% of his pay for his short term disability when in reality, he isn't getting half of what one of his paychecks were and we have to pay in more than what we are getting for his insurance, etc. I have called numerous times and each time I was given incorrect information to which they refuse to make right with anyone.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have paid into this long term disability insurance for about 20 years. Now that I need it, I am having to still hassle with getting paid. I have given them everything that they have requested and yet I have not received anything. Another issue is that apparently they do not pay the 60% as first said they would, now they are telling me that they have to take into consideration other payments that I may be receiving (ie: state disability) and they will then decide how much I am entitled to. If I had known this I would have shopped for another insurance coverage that is reliable. AFLAC is a great choice, my peers that I work with have NOT had any problems getting paid from AFLAC. Do NOT subscribe to UNUM.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Their STD calculations are just plain wrong. Their formulation is set to pay the least amount they can get away with. They use your monthly salary times 12 months divided by 52 weeks and then take 70% of that amount (per the contract we are paid 70% of our monthly salary). I am salaried so I get the same amount each month regardless of how many weeks in a month there are. I calculated it at my monthly times the 70% and divided that by 4 weeks. The difference was a few hundred dollars.

On top of that they said they calculated it wrong. They based it on the same formulation I calculated it at (so even they know they're scamming people) and now I owe back most of the money I received because I was overpaid the weekly amount AND paid for 4 weeks when I should have been paid for 2 (there is a 30 day ineligibility wait period they conveniently forgot about). I received the money AFTER I returned to work after 6 weeks of STD (FMLA leave). This was my first claim ever and I have been with this company for years through my employer. Not even worth the headache for the few cents they do pay IF they pay.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My experience with Unum has been mixed. About 20 years ago, I had disability insurance that paid a sum for in hospital days. I was at MD Anderson for 31 days. The company paid my claim with no problem. Fast forward to 3 years ago. I filed disability because of complications from radiation damage for cancer treatment. For the past 2 years, my offset specialist has been bullying me to retire so Unum can reduce their monthly payment. I kept telling him that I was not eligible because of the Rule of 80, age plus years of service have to equal 80. He even went so far as to take money from my account as a way of forcing me to file!

Please understand that I could NOT file because not eligible. Once again money was taken even though I was just eligible on my birthday **. I did file on September 20th in Austin. Now he refuses to pay back the money they took in August even though I won't get my first check until November! I am overdrawn by $200 and have no gas and only $15 in cash. But they don’t care. Who bullies a 64 disabled school teacher? UNUM! This has caused so much stress and depression. I was hospitalized this weekend due to bleeding because of stress on my body. Shame on Unum! Learn the requirements of your various states retirement rules before you start messing with people’s money. Do your homework!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was rear-ended at red lights 3 times in a one-week period, leaving me with spinal injuries that made me scarcely capable of doing Anything other than lying down for 2 months straight! I qualify for their long-term Disability payments but only requested 3 months worth because I can figure out a way to work now and only need to lie down in the middle of the day for about 30 minutes usually, glory to God! UNUM, however, made up false excuses to deny my claim and appeal. I could have bought my daughter braces with the money I wasted on monthly premiums! UNUM plays an immoral game. Don't sign up!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I got this insurance thru work at WellStar Health System. I'm a very athletic person and play tennis and badminton 3-4 times a week. For the past few months my right knee is bothering me so I decided to see an orthopedic surgeon. He ordered an MRI and found out I have torn lateral meniscus. Last July 7th, I had right meniscectomy at the hospital where I work. After the surgery I filed a claim for accidental insurance but UNUM declined my claim saying that is not caused by an accident. I'm am very sure that I torn my meniscus from playing and not by just sleeping. I submitted all the documents related to my injury like MD chart records, MRI, bills and etc but still it was declined again. Now they told me to file an appeal which is very frustrating. The only thing I can say is that PLEASEEEE don't sign up on this company. I heard Allstate is way better than them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchased the LTC policy when I was 57. I am now 80 so I have paid many, many premiums since its inception. It was the best option, I was told, for a widow. The policy was $1900 per year. Three years ago, the policy increased and I now pay $3400 per year. This coming year it will increase to $4000. I was told that the cost would never increase. However, the cost can increase if the "class of insurance was allowed to increase by the state." I bought the policy in New York State. My experience is the same as Doris of Easthampton, MD. and, yes, that state had allowed the "class" to increase. That clause is in the written policy but was never mentioned by the representative. I now have my Series 6 & 7 license and understand these things better but that does not help with the much higher premium! I am just hoping that I will receive the benefits that are promised in the LTC policy.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and after repeated discussions with my family and dr I decided to take continuous leave from work. I have been enrolled in a Unum short term disability policy through my employer for a while and immediately filed a claim. I found the process to be super easy with Unum's app and my CSR interactions on the phone were pleasant and accurate. I received my first payment today. I read some of the reviews on this site and was a little worried, but I wanted to share my experience to help give someone else hope during a trying time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

In February my Dr put me on medical leave for nerve damage in my arm. My employer paid me the 12 weeks of short-term and in April before my short term ran out I had filed for long term. While waiting for a check they informed me in mid June that they had no record of me filing for long term. Finally after an hour on the phone I was told it would be reviewed and I should receive something within 45 days.

When I called back a month later I was told my Dr wasn't responding to information requests. I called the Dr and was advised that they never received any requests for information. Unum then called me stating that my authorization form had expired and they overlooked it. I signed new forms and returned them. I received a letter stating I was approved and as soon as they received my payroll information from my employer I would be getting a check. My employer sent in that information quite some time ago and I have yet to receive a dime after 3 months.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

If you value the reasons for disability ins. Do not use this co. History of illegal claim dismissal. Willful misrepresentation of court procedures. Total disregard for client, facts, medical precedent. This behavior spans decades, repeated violations. Documented. The only value a client has, is how much they can gain from you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had taken out a life insurance policy on my husband during open enrollment at my then employer. I was advised that his coverage was guaranteed for $50,000 with no medical questions asked. He unfortunately died from a heart attack. Initially Unum wanted me to open a bank account in New York so they could deposit the payment. I advised them I already had a bank account and they could deposit into that or send me a cashiers check. They responded that was not their policy. I then received a phone call from them asking all kinds of questions. One being was my husband receiving a disability check. When I told them he had been they responded that they don't pay for someone on disability until they are no longer disabled. I hired an attorney and Unum would never respond to his calls. Don't get scammed the way I did.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had an accident the first week in June. I have UNUM through my work benefits that I pay a significant amount for every pay period. My claim has been approved for over 2 weeks but I have to receive any money. Every day the rep will call me & say it will be direct deposited today. And every day he has another excuse as to why it hasn’t been paid. I have been out 7 weeks so far & have to receive any payment despite my claim being approved. They take forever to pay you so you have to go back to work sooner than your Dr ordered. That is their business. Yesterday I talked to 3 different reps & I heard 3 different stories as to yet why my claim hasn’t been paid anything. Do yourself a favor & instead of electing a short term disability company, put that money aside & use that for your time. Because you will never receive any payment from UNUM. At this point I think contacting an attorney is my only option. UNUM stands for yoU will Never get yoUr Money.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I obtained STD July 2017 as part of benefit package with my job. A standard selection STD, LTD, etc. In early 2018 a doctor discovered that my hernia needed to be repaired. A surgery I had in 2013 during another unexpected major surgery. Over 4 years later, the doctor discovers that my hernia has ruptured. The previous surgery was an elective so, I was planning to use vacation and involuntary "change over", but found out the hernia needed to be repaired, which would be a 6 week recovery. Had the surgery 06/21/2018. I went back to work 07/09/2018 because the claim was still pending from June. It is 07/23/2018 they have been contacting physicians to obtain information to confirm that I had not been treated in the prior 12 months before securing STD benefits.

Did I mention the benefit selection was for a new job? Still nothing to concerning because I had not received any treatment. The issue is that they have not paid me, although it was a 7 day elimination period, since I filed the claim. I am back to work and lost money that is needed for my household. Unum's has not made a decision and asked that I contact the doctors to let them know they need to return the forms. Well, Unum, the doctors are not my primary physicians. These are the doctors I have seen when there was a medical issue, other than a hernia, i.e. cold, women issues, etc. All of which were related to something entirely different than concerning a hernia.

Stay away from Unum or strategically schedule surgeries because had I waited to have the surgery in July, 2018 the 12 month pre-existing research may have been avoided. However, I am not too sure because the practice to scrutinize a hernia repair that was as much as surprise to me, has become a reason not to pay because it ruptured after 4 years and only one doctor caught it. The saddest part is that I contacted Unum a couple months before to ask about my STD for electing to take care of the hernia because I knew the recovery time was longer than the procedure I was initially going to have done at my own opportunity cost of vacation time. To date, still nothing. "Pending" I have been back to work longer than I took off to have the procedure.

UnumProvident Insurance Company expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky