Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company

2.7/5 (772 ratings)

About Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

These guys had a license to steal!! I don't think they sell LTC anymore & thank the lord they can't screw anybody else out of their money. My wife waited the 90 day period just to find out they were only making 1 payment, so I ordered a cancellation of the policy & was told just think you don't have to wait another 90 days on another claim. Her Dr. retired so she went to another & was told too bad we didn't hear back from her Dr. so we`re not paying. I thought about a Lawyer but figured they would get most of the money, another shyster. I hope Unum goes under & doesn't survive!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Unum denied my short term disability claim for no reason! My doctor supplied everything as requested! I will be pursuing legal action! Disgusting unethical company! They won’t get away with how they treat people.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I filed a short term disability claim which has been a waste of valuable time.. Information sent in is not updated accurately, Information given by representatives are false or inaccurate. The claim rep is useless and doesn't care about me as a customer nor human. This company is below poor. My physicians have sent in medical documentation. The claim rep claimed a clinical review was to be conducted on August 31, 2022 and a letter would be in the portal the next day. Nothing is there along with inaccurate Information.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Where can I possibly begin.... My employer started to utilize Unum for overseeing FMLA/disability claims. I have had NOTHING but grief and anxiety since the switch. They will outright REFUSE to contact you unless you send a note through their website which can be tracked. If you call them, don't make the mistake of telling any of the "customer service" (what a joke) representatives they are wrong about something because when you do, they will first try to talk over you. When you refuse to allow them to do that, they will practice call avoidance and put you on mute so that you have no way to fill the satisfaction survey or request an escalation. Today I immediately called back to try to get a supervisor, only to never have one pick up. Tried to call again.... Got the after hours message.

Besides their "customer service" issues:

- I have a legitimate, LIFELONG issue that will never go away. UNUM apparently refuses to allow my intermittent leave any longer than 6 months, and then further REFUSES TO ADVISE THAT RECERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED. They then lied about it to say that 6 months was the maximum time anyone could have....
    - They will always, ALWAYS refuse documents and try to find some sort of "Gotcha!" moment, claiming there is information they are "missing".
    - They can't keep ANYTHING straight. My paperwork has been filled out the exact same way two times now, and somehow they come to DIFFERENT conclusions about each.

- No matter how many times I tell them they will never receive permission to contact my doctor and have no legal right to do so, they continually insist and send my forms to fill out for it.

I'm to the point of reaching out to report their nonsense.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Back in February 2022 and today, I received a delinquent/termination letters without receiving any invoices from UNUM. "We sent out an invoice on blah blah blah date and our records show we sent out a delinquent/termination letters on blah...date and under provisions of the contract, this policy cannot be reinstated after it has been terminated." I have no issues receiving mail from anyone else but them....How convenient is this you can policies to lower the possibilities of claims..Claims you obviously don't pay looking at your other reviews!! I will take my business elsewhere. I'm not begging or dealing with this type of extreme substandard customer service!

Original review: July 25, 2022

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with UNUM Long Term Care Insurance. We are a family in crisis. I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, Trigeminal Neuralgia, and bladder cancer. These are just a few of my numerous debilitating conditions. Additionally, I am wheelchair bound and need assistance with all ADLs, including personal hygiene, grooming, dressing, toileting, transferring, ambulating, and eating. My primary care physician provided an Attending Physician’s Statement verifying that I need assistance with 6 out of 6 ADLS. A nurse, sent by UNUM to evaluate me, confirmed Dr. **’s evaluation that I need assistance with 6 out of 6 ADLS.

I have provided medical records from my primary care physician, oncologist, and surgeon verifying my multiple debilitating diagnoses. Furthermore, we have been sending in Weekly Caregiver Monthly Reports documenting the care I have needed dating back to February. My case manager at UNUM has proven discourteous, deceptive, and shown a total lack of compassion for myself and my family. Her supervisor failed to resolve any of our complaints or further the status of our claim, so that I may receive the benefits I am entitled to. We have patiently waited for 8 months and have seen no progress made. As a result of UNUM’s poor business practices, I have personally suffered numerous falls, extreme financial hardships, and undue stress on myself, my wife, and my 2 daughters, who have been forced to serve as my caregivers.

My wife has recently suffered a stroke, which her doctor indicated was likely stress induced. I have been paying the premium for long-term healthcare insurance from UNUM Insurance for over 20 years. I continue to pay the premium with little hope of receiving the federally mandated benefits I am entitled to. Numerous physicians submitted substantial documentation to UNUM stating that I need assistance and am entitled to federally mandated benefits. Yet, no matter what we provide, UNUM demands more. They will eagerly collect your premium, but fail to pay your benefits.

Original review: July 1, 2022

My Employer utilized UNUM and went into process feeling relief since I knew I would have to be off work a considerable amount of time when we initiated process for my Daughter’s Kidney Transplant. My experience has been terrible. First they continually denied the claim every time I was off work for the same claim. I completed all the paperwork and obtained Doctor’s completed paperwork and given green light. On the next intermittent FMLA claim, they denied for a heart transplant and all paperwork states Kidney Transplant. (Incompetence in review process)

They acknowledged error and apologized and escalated for resolution. But yet, no resolution. I am in tears at this whole process in addition to being exhausted from medical stays with daughter. The only word in their vocabulary is Deny. My employer has been so great to work with thus far in assisting to resolve but I will encourage them to drop UNUM for another provider. I am sure it won’t be difficult, since who wants to pay money to a provider who doesn’t deliver. If I could give this company a negative, I would. They insult my intelligence.

Original review: April 27, 2022

My consulting company switched our dental insurance from Metlife Dental to Unum insurance at the beginning of 1/1/22. If your employer offers you this dental insurance be sure to not take it and get your own. It's not worth hassle of trying to get the services paid for. It has been almost 5 months since I submitted a claim, and they still have not paid my dentist for the services. I resubmitted the claim again, and the customer service representative said it would take 30 for them to respond. SMH... This by far a racket and the worst experience I have had with dental coverage.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I applied for my leave absence back in February due to accident with my dog. Each time I visited the doctor he would put me on three weeks extension. I would submit my forms via computer each time. Finally, Unum stated payment will be on this a certain date. Well, today I check my status and now it is pending again due to doctor stating extend another three weeks. I call a representative and she stated they will not start a payment until my next visit. Plus, I have to be disable for sixty days before my benefit even start. Well, I am out of all my sick and ETO time. Representative stated there no back pay. I have medical and personal bills I have to pay. How I am to pay my co-payment for doctor visit to even hope I be release. This not fair at all I was on the phone crying. I did not ask for this injury. I am sixty years old and have never broken a bone in my until now. Do not waste your earnings paying this company for your hardship.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I developed covid pneumonia, diagnosed with covid 1/4/22, ER 1/6/22, and "officially" admitted shortly after midnight 1/7/2022. I was critical ill in the hospital for 10 days. I have been dealing with the nightmare of recovering from it since then. I am still home and just got off oxygen last week (yay.). I tried to claim on my Unums short-term disability plan a few days ago. I turned in everything they requested and got a response from them today.

Unum denied my claim because I didn't stay in the hospital 4 more days. My release papers said I was in the hospital for 10 days. I missed this company helping me because I didn't stay in the hospital long enough!?! Sooooo I should of asked the doctor to left me admitted there in the hospital longer? Next time, I pray I never have a nightmare like this again, but if I do, I will tell the doctor I need to stay 14 days so my critical illness plan will cover my stay. I am so stressed. I thought I finally get some help in paying some of my medical bills since I was "critical ill." Nope. Unum is a horrible company to deal with. Their customer service phone system has long wait times. Monday I waited 40 minutes to talk to a live agent in their critical illness department. WHAT A JOKE UNUM IS. STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN!!!!

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor