Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company

3.8/5 (248 ratings)

About Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

This company is a complete joke and loaded with clowns! They are all trained to deny everything and make you jump through hoops to get anything from them. I wouldn’t suggest giving this company any money for anything at any time! You will not get paid for anything. They will run you around enough so that you just give up. It’s a sad, sad world having to deal with creeps like this. They have paid millions and millions of dollars in fines for falsely denying claims (I wonder who got that money?!). I will continue my mission of getting them to pay more fines until whoever is running the company realizes how stupid they are ruining their reputation instead of building a great company. They say it starts at the top.. Clowns at the top, clowns at the bottom..

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I paid premiums for years, and when I truly needed to claim disability, they found every reason not to grant it. In my opinion, it would have taken a lawsuit to get a reversal and I simply was not willing to put myself through that stress. So, I canceled the policy. I had paid my premium on June 1st, and canceled the policy on June 8th. To add injury to insult, they have yet to refund me the pro-rated amount for the month of June (they owe me for 22 days that were paid for, before my cancelation), and we're now in the month of November. I went on to file a complaint with the Tennessee Insurance Commission. I regret throwing away my hard earned money on years of premiums. What a waste. BUYER BEWARE.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

In 1999 I purchased a long term care insurance policy that would now pay benefits of $10,000 per month for my lifetime. I am looking into entering a continuum of care facility and wanted UNUM to send them a copy of my policy. UNUM keeps sending them (and me) a different policy. Despite protestations, they ignore me and send it again. Their substitution contains language about "critical illness/critically ill" as a determiner of benefits while my policy only requires that I be disabled in 2 or more ADL. I think I am being victimized by a ruse to decrease my benefits through an attempt to substitute a different, more restrictive policy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Filed a STD claim 36 days ago. Supplied all requested info and docs. Physicians did the same. Redundant information was requested and supplied. There was sporadic contact with the agent handling the claim. Via telephone. No email available. Now I'm leaving voice mails with no response. A true example of the insurance industry. Collect premiums, withhold benefits. 3rd experience with an STD carrier over 20yrs. By FAR the worst. Good luck.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Awful experience! They take forever to get a claim to get approved and require sooo much medical information to the point where it feels like an invasion of personal health information. Once a claim is approved it is only good for 1 week and then you have to do the process all over again, making it difficult while seeking therapy. Please find a different short term disability insurance company.

Original review: July 9, 2021

They are making it impossible to get your claim going by asking for soooo much information, and now they are asking your physician for a detailed letter why you should be off work for a week. Like they don't know what they're talking about. I have an enlarged aorta and a fib. I've been to So many doctors, who the hell should I ask to sit down for 15-20 min. and write a ** letter.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Quit my job, wanted to keep my same life insurance. Submitted all the paperwork, sent it in, they said I didn't submit a blank check, which we did, did it again. Months later we noticed that they didn't take from our bank account so the phone calls started. Hung up on, all members of the office are in a meeting all day, etc. Over a week later I get someone to help. Nobody can find my policy based on name, SS#, DOB, or company. I dug through paperwork, got the policy number, call back, nobody can find it based on that. They go to transfer you, hang up. Call back, get the number they trying to transfer to in case, they try to transfer, hung up. Call that new number, on hold for over 30m, even try on my wife's phone number, seemingly get better results, hung up on again!

Finally get an answer on the my phone, get attitude from the start, no answers as to why nobody can find my account, tell her to stop auto debit, more attitude, won't even answer my questions, just dead silence. Find out you can't access your account online or login to see payments or even view your account with them. All you can do is call and harass them! We find out how to terminate with them, I end the call. I called my bank and stopped future payments, they tell me that the company might try to use a different name to get around the block. Lovely. I don't think I've ever had this bad of customer service! Ever!

Original review: May 22, 2021

My experience with Unum Dental has been horrible. I have periodontal disease and switched to a new dentist. The dentist was very reasonable and performed perio-maintenance. I have great teeth but lousy gums. The dentist Tom ** did a great job, and the insurance company has made his office submit and resubmit multiple times. I am a teacher in Texas, and Advanced Financial Group in Lufkin, TX picked this insurance company. I might be getting dental through a private company if I can when the benefits become available again. I tried to get their fax number for the requested documentation, and they refused. I believe that the ones who said that this company will do anything to avoid payment are accurate.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I purchased LTC insurance through my employer with Unum in 2012 for both myself and my husband. We purchased a specific dollar amount and time frame recommended by my financial adviser for an average of what most people would need. I just recently filed a claim for my husband whom at age 69 has early onset Alzheimer's and needs 7/10 help with his daily needs and is now in memory care. My experience with Unum has been excellent. They have been kind, extremely responsive and quick to approve our claim. Our monthly payments are being received on time as expected. Each time I have called customer service my concerns were handled professionally and quickly. This has been so comforting at this critical time of need for us!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

My mom purchased a long term care policy thru her employer 20 years ago. I have the original policy as well as all her payments and correspondence. In September of 2020 she was placed into a Memory Care facility due to dementia. I started the claim process in September and it is February 13, 2021 and Unum has still not honored the contract. I submitted all paperwork plus my DPA. They lost my DPA twice, needed Dr’s orders plus clinical notes twice. Set up Direct Deposit - still not getting correct payments. Her policy is to pay $1000 for 24 months. First payment in January was $560. When asked why, the Benefit Specialist said they didn’t know what licensing her Memory Care had so they were paying a lower rate. After 4 months they didn’t think about that?

About a week later, I received a call stating the full rate was approved. I asked what is the full rate and he reluctantly said $1000. I asked to confirm the length of time and he said, “I don’t have that information “. He calls back a week later and says yes, 24 months. I just got her check for January - it’s for $620. UNUM is a scam. The longer they avoid paying, the greater likelihood she will die and they can keep her benefit. I have never dealt with a more corrupt company. At first I just thought they were incompetent, but I have realized it is a time delay process for them. My mom would have been better off putting her money into a minimum yield investment vehicle. I have spent unknown hours dealing with the company and it is still not honoring its contract! Shame UNUM. You should not be in the marketplace. Preying on the elderly, when they can’t help themselves and need the benefit at the most costly time of their life ($6,600 a month).

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor