Unum Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My husband had a massive stroke in 2014 and for 3 days they didn't know if he was going to live or die. He was in intensive care for a week, rehab for 2 months. He had brain damage, rendering him disabled for life. Social Security deemed him disabled immediately and he began receiving benefits immediately. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT didn't balk at the doctors' reports. He can't feel his right side from the top of his head to the bottom of his toes. He is dominant right but now does everything left handed. I have to cut his food for him. I have to button his buttons. I had to buy him an electric shaver and sonic toothbrush because he cuts himself to pieces with a blade razor and cannot maneuver the toothbrush to brush his teeth the traditional way. His shoes are slip ons. I bought him a long handle shoe horn.

He can't carry on a conversation and simple instructions are lost and confuse him. He reads very slowly and can't comprehend what he reads so he's quit reading. He went from a decent salary as a pastor to minimum wage pay cleaning the dining room of a fast food restaurant 8 hours a week. He stays home and "cares" for our daughter who was in an automobile accident 11+ years ago, rendering her a quadriplegic. He sleeps a lot and watches TV practically nonstop. He can't do much of anything else.

His friends don't know how to interact with him anymore so they have stopped checking in. They're not bad people. They just don't know how to talk with someone who was once the smartest man they knew, their pastor, their Shepherd, their mentor, their rock, to someone who gets words mixed up, past tense mixed up with present, she where he should be used, stuttering because his brain gets stuck on how to get one word out, and just plain "checking out" in the middle of idle chat. His focus is nearly nonexistent and he walks like a 90 year old from constant neurological pain and the fact he can't feel his entire right side.

For nearly 2 decades he put in money into his disability insurance without quibble and faithfully. He didn't require a whole bunch of forms, fully answered questionnaires, insurance commissioner letters, or anything to make Unum prove they were actually a worthy insurance company he could trust sending money to every month. He didn't feel the need to send a private investigators out to drill the company execs to see if they were legit. They said they were a disability insurance provider, had valid credentials and all the right licensing to prove it so. Well now that it's time to tap into what he's invested in for so many years he's being treated like a criminal! Yes, a PI was sent out to take pictures and we sat down for nearly 3 hours and answered an unbelievably long questionnaire. They paid a private investigator to drive 2 hours to lay eyes on my husband who is lucky to be alive and functioning!

Hundreds of dollars on paperwork, PI, phone calls to doctors, therapists, and who knows who else to pay my husband $70.02 per month! I have spent countless hours putting together paperwork to send to them. Not to mention copying costs. My husband has signed so many releases which he has done willingly! We've got nothing to hide! He LOVED being a pastor and would give anything to be able to return to his former profession. Or to do anything other than minimal wage jobs that don't require training or computing or more than 2 step instructions! Now they want tax returns, pay stubs, W2s, 1099s, releases for speech therapy notes. Every 2 months it's something else! They are the WORST company and everyone needs to BE AWARE! I'm sure there's some people who are out there that rip off insurance companies but c'mon! It's been 3 years.

My husband is not going to get better. His BRAIN suffered massive damage. He put in $60 a month for nearly 2 decades. He's only getting $70 back and I don't know if he will for the next 2 decades. He'll be over 80! Yeah. I'll send the package of information. I'll copy my sensitive tax returns and send them to you (at MY cost) through US mail and PRAY it doesn't get lost or stolen! I mean, it's just our full names, social security numbers, address, W2s, employment history, signatures. You know. Everything a thief needs to steal one's identity. For our $70 per month. But I will not be silent about it.

EVERYONE is going great to know what a horrible company this is and I am advising everyone not to put their money and hopes and trust in any company associated with Unum. By the way, I've called Mallory back twice and she hasn't called me so if she's going to deny my husband's claim for no communication, I have proof I've called so don't even go there!

When they sold me this Unum critical heart and cancer insurance if I had cancer or if I had a heart attack or needed heart it would pay so I could use it for out of pocket expenses. Don't waste your money on them. I had a rare surgery repositioning an artery which is found in about 5 percent of people. I had to have open heart to fix. Didn't get a dime from them. Couldn't even get their doctor to look at. Denied, denied. Don't waste your money on them. You will be denied too.

If I had NO disability insurance I would have been better off by far! They paid me 11,196.74/16/payments@$963.34/ea. Then took back 9,496.74 as an overpayment Because they said that payments should have been only $100.00/mo -- And demanded in a very threatening letter all the payback immediately. Why and Who would overpay you 863.34 a month for 16 months without some kind of backhanded deal going on. You could never get a real answers to questions. I won a disability case, I had a minor child, a retired husband and nowhere did I see "credits" for any of this or for the attorney's fees either---It was a terrible time to be harassed and to be so very ill.

My former employer, Gateway Mortgage Group, offered short and long-term disability insurance with our benefits in 2016. After trying chiropractic care and physical therapy, my surgeon advised in July that I would need to have spinal fusion surgery on L5-S1 and I would also need to have metal rods inserted to stabilize the spine. Gateway advised me that there was nothing to worry about and I had the surgery in November. I knew that the first two weeks were unpaid and that the short-term disability would kick in at 60% of my pay thereafter.

From the first moment that I dealt with Unum, they were rude, dismissive, and disrespectful toward me. "What was I doing on my time off?" and "Your job is not that stressful, why can't you work from home?" This started four weeks after surgery. It took them six weeks after my surgery to finally pay for four weeks of benefits. The following week, I received a letter from Unum stating that my claim would be denied unless I could provide further documentation stating that I was disabled. They took my doctor visit on December 12th and stated that since I was off of pain pills, there was nothing stopping me from going back to work. Being off of addictive painkillers was my choice but it does not mean that I was not in pain.

On January 4th, I told Unum that I would be seeking an attorney for an appeal to my case. I had my surgeon release me to go back (against his wishes) part-time from home on January 11th until my next visit with his office on February 6th. The attorney is still working on the case and I truly believe that Unum is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with. Later in January, I found a job with a better company. In my resignation letter to Gateway, I told them that they are ultimately responsible for their actions, the actions of their employees, and their third-party providers (Unum).

On November 9th of 2016 I went in for my 3rd Acl surgery. These were not work related. At that time Unum was ok with the short term, constant phone calls and paperwork to get them to do their job, but it got done. I am a 50 year old woman working in a factory job where I need to be lifting metal from a range of 20 lbs to 150 lbs. I have work there for 13 plus years. For 13 plus years I have paid for out of my own pocket for long term, just in case. Will, on Tuesday my doctor would only let me go back to work (this is after my 90 days of short term) at light duty. My work place, which I knew this beforehand, after 90 days if I can't make medium restrictions, cannot hold my job and at that time, let me go and issued long term.

Today I get a phone call from a Unum representative, questioning me on my recovery and why I could not go back to work. I told her that it is not me, it is my doctor and my work, if they have nothing for me to do at light duty, so I cannot go back to work. So this very rude woman started to question me, she said, "Well we were checking out your Facebook and see that you are a very active person, and we seen you posted a picture of you zip lining on vacation." I laughed and said, "Why yes, you did and if you are so smart to check out my pictures on Facebook you should of checked out the date and seen that that picture was taken 4 years ago."

Then she goes, "That I seen you took a vacation in January, and I seen that you were swimming." First I said, "Well yes I did, it was a cruise, and if you look at the pictures you say you did, you will see a doctor issued brace that I wore, you also need to know it was not me so called SWIMMING, take a better look, it is my daughter, daughter in law, son's girlfriend, my sister in law and a close friend, who do you think took the pictures of them swimming?" She also questions hunting pictures that I had posted in my memories, from 2 to 3 years ago. She also question that I go to work out and questioned why I am not going to PT 3 times a week. I said that, "#1 my insurance reset at the first of the year and now it is out of pocket, so I cut it down to 1 time a week so I can afford it. #2, I go to work out because of me not doing PT 3 times a week, I need an Elliptical and a bike to use to get the strength back in my leg."

She was rude and downright demeaning, I told her before I ended the call that, "It is NOT me, NOT wanting to go back to work, it's work not having anything to fit my restrictions." Maybe she needs to be calling them and asking them why? I am a very active person and life does not stop. I knew that this would be happening and was proactive and have job interviews for jobs that I can do with my restrictions. I am just amazed at how they treat people, not everyone in this world is out to screw them. It makes me wonder, because there are people worse off than me, with worse health conditions and this is how they treat people. Wow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

After reading all of these reviews I am not shocked at all about my claimed being denied. Do not waste your money whether it's through a group or individual policy. I had two doctors put me out on FMLA but apparently Uclaimdeniedum knows more about my condition than the two doctors treating me and refuses to pay for the time I was out on FMLA. They will run you in circles with requests, hoping you will give up, after complying with their requests and giving them authorization to get any information they need they will then turn to legalese of your policy to deny it. Appeal filed and nothing new was done by appeal specialist at UClaimdeniedum. Complaint filed with insurance commissioner in state and to mediation it is.

I was forced to sign-up for an individual disability policy with UNUM when I started my job in June 1999. I became disabled for a short time in 2005-2006. I let them know approximately 4 months later. I had no problems getting paid (minus the mandatory 90 day wait period). I was able to go back to work and I kept my policy. In 2007, I became permanently disabled. Again, after the 90 day waiting period, I have had no problems with UNUM. I did have to see a physician of their choosing (2007) along with my own physicians. What I have found with UNUM is as Follows: They like you to see specialists that are top of their field, like at a large university training facility. There is no disputing a physician who is top in their field. They like very detailed information. If you can't fill out your portion of the claim form similar to how a physician would, get help from someone (NOT an attorney!!!).

Make certain the physician fills out every single area on their form. If possible, review the form with them if at all possible. If you have several physicians (which is best), pick the one that is the most sympathetic and knows ALL of your medical issues. Most importantly, UNUM is a business. Their job is to keep their policy holders off of disability. They are running a "for profit" business. Make certain you have all of your paperwork completed and together before you submit your claim. Good luck and to everyone, hopefully better health in the future.

Unum is the worst company I've ever dealt with. I paid for policy in good faith for years, when I needed them most, they failed. I have chronic kidney disease stage 4. Left my employment in May of 2015, received a few payments, then all of a sudden they send a questionnaire to a doctor I hadn't seen in awhile. Long story short, doctor wasn't aware of everything that was going on, sends in form, they didn't like the way it was written so denied me payments even though my main doctor submitted time and again what my illness was. So now until I hear from Social Security, I have no money at all. Stay far away from this company. They should be put out of business. Wish I had taken Aflac instead.

I handed in all of my paperwork a month early. I called often to see if I had made sure all paperwork was handed in. They said everything was all set and all you need to do is call the last day of work. I did all of this then come to find out the day I go into surgery they are missing documentation even though I had called and been proactive numerous times to make sure all paperwork was all set. They were rude and not helpful and continue to be. Very disappointed in the service I received with Unum.

I had an 18-month policy with UNUM paid for through employee deductions. Before I became ill I knew nothing about this company or their practices. My illness was of a mental nature so my policy was limited to 18 months (something HR forgets to tell you). Most policies are limited to 24 months and that is when they want you gone!

The claim represented harassed me on a weekly basis, spending 30 mins or more asking questions like: How do I spend my day, do I watch television, who cleans my house and so one. I take a lot of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds so I could not even think straight. They not only harassed me but sent my therapist and psychiatrist weekly questions. The rep even faxed my one doctor a form saying, "Sign this so your patient can go back to work!" The physician phoned me at home asking if I told UNUM that I was going back to work. I told him no, he said it was very sneaky of UNUM to fax this form as he is a very busy doctor and does not have time to look over every single insurance form. My therapist old me she has never ever been sent so many forms to complete and she has been in practice for over 35 years!

Yesterday, after 24 months of disability I logged on the UNUM website, apparently my claim is closed with no denial letter or explanation. I called UNUM Carrie out of the ME office but she was not available, how convenient. I asked why I could not access my documentation online and a customer service rep said he did not know and that it was just a coincidence, really.

I am quite relieved about being denied, even though I have never received a formal denial. No more phone calls from Carrie, no more harassment, no more added anxiety. I am absolutely positive they receive incentive bonuses on how many cases they can deny. How do I know? I was a no-fault adjuster for 34 years... the only difference is I never harassed claimants to the point that UNUM does. No point in getting an attorney as I think it would cost more than UNUM pays me. I will however make an Insurance Department complaint about UNUM's practices as it borders on BAD FAITH.

After suffering severe sciatica for years, I finally convinced myself that it was time to go for back surgery as my situation has gotten worse over the summer of 2016. I could not stand or walk for more than "10 sec". I couldn't sit and lay down in any position desired. It was true living hell. MRI showed Disc herniation with impingement on Sciatic nerve root. In Oct of 2016, I went for the microdiscectomy and laminectomy, during which it was found out that there were disc (L5-S1) fragments in the nerve canal causing significant narrowing of nerve canal, hence the pain and numbness in the leg. Surgery was successful. I could walk without limp, and my leg started gaining strength although there was pain from the surgery itself. It was ordered recovery for 8-12 weeks.

Ten days after the surgery, I got a call from UNUM if I could return to work. I was caught with surprise as my short term disability and medical leave were approved through the end of the year (11 weeks) and my surgeon recommended 8-12 weeks of recovery depending on how quickly I recover. I made a call to my UNUM case representative and she tried to explain to me that note from my prior doctor's visit (a week after the surgery) said I had no pain, hence I should be able to go back to work. Politely I explained to her that I was still on narcotic painkillers and no way I was in a position to sit and work and that I have not recovered.

A few days later, I get another mail that my claim was extended for 2 more weeks, and that I need to prove why I can't go back to work. After making several calls (she would never answer her direct line) and number of voice mails, I talked to someone on the Main line to have her contact me. Then she called me telling that Doctor's office didn't send them restrictions. I asked her if she has requested the same, apparently they sent number of pages for the doctor's office to fill and never made it clear what exactly they needed. I was extremely furious because I was in pain, disabled, and then these people made me feel insignificant and I had to convince them that I need time to recover after an illness and doctor's order is not enough. They needed restrictions as to what was keeping me off work. Obviously "being in pain after surgery" didn't count as a valid reason to them. What kind of insurance company is that?

I firmly told her that I was not to return to work till I had my follow-up with my surgeon in Dec. Then another mail that my claim was extended till the date of my follow-up appointment. In the meantime, I contacted my employer and HR and I explained them the harassment I had to go through at the time when I expected some empathy from UNUM. Reading from elsewhere, they do that to cancer patients too! Repeatedly asking them what is stopping them from returning to work while they go through the cancer treatment.

Finally it was day of my follow-up with surgeon. I asked my surgeon if I could go back to work, he said I could if I can. This was on a Thursday. Then I called UNUM the next morning (Friday). Again multiple calls with no response to the same agent. Left a voicemail and reached someone over the main line to tell them that I was going back to work on Monday. They asked me a series of questions, and there was the end of it. My disability claim was going to end and I was returning to work. Keep in mind that I was still recovering, just well enough to be returning to work. I was glad that I was done with UNUM. A week or so later, I receive another mail asking for documentation from Nov to Dec, proving why I had to stay off work. I ignored as I had already been working for over a week. A few days later, another mail asking for documentation, ignored again.

Then last week, another mail saying that my claim has been closed and was approved only till Dec 8 (Thursday) as last doctor's visit note had indicated no complications and that I was doing well and that they received a return to work note on Dec 15 but they only approved till Dec 8. Dec 8 is Thursday, Dec 9 is Friday, the day of the call. Dec 10, 11 - Weekend. Dec 12 - return to work. But they only approved till Dec 8th.

It's amazing how they think they can decide how long a person should recover post-op better than a medical provider. The vocabulary made me rethink what is "well" and what is "ability". "Your job requires only sedentary physical ability hence, we are closing the claim." Is pain hindrance to physical ability or mental ability? I obviously need mental ability with higher IQ and specific skills to perform my job, not just sedentary physical ability to be able to sit at desk all day long.

If you expect someone to go back to work 2 weeks post-op while on pain meds just because your job only requires sedentary physical ability, that is lame. I have no doubt someone would sue them because of their obstruction in post-op recovery and harassment they put them through.

Worst company and service for life and accident insurance. This company overcharged me $430.72 for the policy and issued a refund check that was overdue for cashing. I called in 4 times for it over the past 4. Every time, I was told that the check would be re-issued and the manager would call me back if any question. I never see the check issued and Nobody ever called me from UNUM. This company just simply hold my money there and not give me back. DO NOT EXPECT THIS COMPANY WILL PAY YOUR BENEFIT WHEN YOU NEED.

The worst company to deal with, they try to make you jump through hoops to keep "your own earned check." I am a above knee amputee on my left leg. I am awake sometimes 24hrs straight suffering from Residual Limb Syndrome, that leaves me completely worn out for days, on top of a severely malaligned right leg, with bone on bone in the knee as my medial plateau has disintegrated, plates and screws holding it all together. Neuropathy in my leg, foot and hands, Arthritis in my hands, leg and back/neck. An insulin dependent diabetic (5shots a day), Hypothyroidism and Gerd. I use a powerchair the majority of the time, yet Unum feels the need to make me recertify several times a year, these people are paid to knock as many people off their payout system as possible.

Know your rights people and don't let these heartless, no compassion crooks, push you around and cause you more stress!! As if being physically or mentally challenged isn't enough to deal with, lawyer up! I know how you all feel, as I just had to go to the Dr on 11/9/2016 to quote "re-certify"!! Then yesterday on 12/12/2016 I received a call from a new representative to say he is calling because I need to recertify! After explaining I was already forced to do that twice this year, (this is the 3rd). He said he wasn't going to argue with me? I said I feel I'm being harrassed for my disability and will be contacting an attorney. Call your disability advocate and your Attorney General for your state. I have enough trying to get through each day without them holding me hostage with what I've already earned and paid into! I have had enough. SPEAK UP PEOPLE and EXPOSE this ACTIVE HARASSMENT.

Updated on 12/27/2016: Right after I posted my review, they have stepped up my harassment, asking me for tax returns from 2011-13. I haven't made a dime. I tried a small home business as an independent distributor for a supplement company and never made a dime and if they checked on my order status they would see it was non-existent, as it didn't sell and I ended up getting stuck with the little I ordered. This company is a total joke and people should look elsewhere for their insurance needs of any kind.

They are known to troll people and try to get them so tired of trying to jump through hoops by making them recertify multiple times each year to keep their own earned benefits. Some get sick of it and say piss off and that is exactly what they are hoping for, to cause people to walk away from the aggravating, unneeded stress to people who already have enough challenges just dealing with their disabilities. Unum, YOU DISGUST ME and should be ashamed of your treatment of already hurting people. I see all the reviews of those who are feeling this Rotten Companies GREED. Get a Lawyer people... I Am.

We had "Unum" as our Dental Benefit work provider, which was previously known as NDP which they took over from Capita in the UK. Every single claim was a hassle. If you had two dental appointments close together (I hate dentist so like to get the pain done and dusted quickly) for 2 separate teeth, they would class this a single course of treatment. Every claim was a quibble. Even though the dentist had filled in the form detailing that is was a separate filling and/or other treatment it was quibbled over, wasting the dentist's time and my time. I would never sign up to Unum again as part of a corporate dental plan. Everything is the bottom line, no empathy, so feeling or understanding, just questioning every time every claim. Don't bother with them, go elsewhere.

November 1 2016 I had a stroke and while I was in the hospital my wife filed my claim for me, so when I got out to find the hospital and I was going online to check the status of my claim Unum was send out a letter stating they needed more paperwork (Proof) that I had a stroke. So on November 16 I had went to follow up with my doctor since being discharged from the hospital and my doctor was telling me that the TPA shot saved my life because we caught it on time thank god. So that same day I called Unum and I was told that my paperwork work basically have to say I was diagnosed with a stroke which it did state that from my doctor and my medical records from the hospital.

November 18 the paperwork was uploaded to the site and I gave them time to review them so on the 23rd I called them around 3 o'clock and I was told that they received them but they was not looked over yet and was told that they will be closed for the holiday and that Friday so I was like I'll call them Monday to follow up. Well Thanksgiving day something told me to check my claim and when I did they denied me and closed it out and gave me a reason saying they denied me cause I didn't send them my documents showing my CT test... now in the beginning they asked for paperwork showing I was diagnosed now they on so other crap so yes it's like that for them and I'm waiting to for my letter so I can fight this. It's sad you pay them but when it's time for them to kick out they come up with some bull so me and my lawyer bout to jump all on top of this!!!!

These folks at UNUM are trained to get rid of you. I have been reading all of your reviews. There is not one review I have read here that isn't true. I am 43 today and at 40 I had 4 heart attacks in 72 hours. Needless to say 2 days later I was on a cold table getting stents in my heart (widow maker 98% blockage and another was 75% blockage and so on). Went back to work a week later and worked 122 hours (bi-weekly). Yes the first heart attack took place at work on the clock.

1.5 yrs later I had a serious fall at work again on the clock and the week I was at my 68th hr (7 days) and haven't worked a day sense. Learned that I blew L1-S1 completely! NO RECOVERY. I out my std claim in for the fall and was denied for my heart attacks... HUM? Ok fine I'll wait the 90 days... pppdffttt... 5 months later I get approved for long term for L1-S1 and that was only after 3 doctors said wrote "can't not work" and 3 days a week of PT.

As my pain grew and grew more scans were done and learned that T-7-8-9 were also bulged and ready for rupture. Still no answer from UNUM. NONETHELESS a severely injured back doesn't rebuild discs or fix it's self it only gets worse... RIGHT? They finally agree that "ok you're hurt" after a med-tronics stem system implant was placed for lumbar drop foot and several other nerve issues were showing up that "ok we will pay for now"... the very day after my surgery a field visit was scheduled and I was forced to engage because UNUM SAID SO...

I got my every 6 week medical review via phone calls for 2 yrs. They paid yes but the work I had to do over the phone in between migraines wetting myself and just staying half alive... wait??? I don't work for them, they work for me... RIGHT??? WRONG ANSWER. You become a mouse and do their dirty work for them because you are responsible for all the paperwork they need... isn't that why I updated them with doc #'s and fax #'s and signed THE MILLION RELEASES was for them to get those with out me doing it?

Now to present day 12-3-16. I have learned my case manager Tracy S** is not my friend and is very VERY trained in her job. She had lies and lies and lies false statements and documents etc... once she was caught up with and I put her on the spot... I now get the old field visit from a rep that truly wants to help better understand my disabilities... pppdffttt... I call BS they are PI's hired by UNUM TO get you off of plan. My field visit was set up by UNUM long before I ever was told anything... they should give 30 days advanced notice... people who are sick have doc appts and don't feel good A LOT let alone the back pain and so forth. He has demanded I allow him in my home to take PI's of my home and me and my script bottles and I am to have a report ready of all my docs address # complete with fax # s... they have all that already... it's a scam to get you to do something that they say you can do... don't fall for it...

I will be recording the ENTIRE INTERVIEW and if he gets pushy and demands one DAMN thing from me he will be asked to leave... they already have all of your info... otherwise how would they know what to ask and do at the INTERVIEW... UNUM is not your friend. Thieves and liars... IF YOUR DOC SAYS NO WORK THEN NO WORK... STAND UP TO THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE RIPPING OFF PEOPLE FOR MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS... based on lie and false reports.. Look it up. Read up on it. Please I beg you don't let them get to you... today I was so worked up over it all I had to drop nitro to get calmed down and the chest pain to stop... they are coming here to get in my face and get rid of me... please people know UNUM is no good...

I enrolled in a Unum accident insurance plan through my employee benefits because I was told it would cover nearly 100% of an off the work accident. When I had to file a claim, I called Unum for filling instructions and was told the same thing by the representative who answered the phone: "Just send us documentation for all the expenses you pay and we will reimburse it all." When the check came it was for less than 1/5th of our actual expenses that we submitted. It didn't even cover my yearly premiums. This policy is terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to my mother-in-law!!! Happily my employer allowed me to cancel it along with every other Unum policy that I was paying for.

Unum has been a pain in the ** to work with. We call to open a claim, the doctor doesn't get information sent back quick enough then they deny the claim! My husband was involved in a very bad car accident - NO fault of his. He was hit by a drunk driver going 70 mph while parked waiting for our son to finish his saxophone lesson. I wouldn't go through Unum, but we have to or he will lose his job if he gets too many unexcused absences. I spend more time on the phone with the jerks at Unum than you could imagine.

I highly recommend this fine Insurance Company. I am now 63 years old, and I have been on claim since 2008. They are paying me $2,500.00 each and every month, and will continue these payments to me for the rest of my life. When I purchased my Disability Income Policy back in the 1990's, I knew exactly what I was purchasing, because I read the policy, and I made sure I understood everything they were contractually obligated to provide. I knew the options included on my policy. Unum has stuck to the policy provisions strictly per the contract wording. I thank God that I purchased this policy, and I thank God that I bought it from

Unum- Provident!!!

Unum has taken care of my wife and I'd like to thank them for that. It's not often that you see large corporations doing the right thing and treating people with respect and courtesy. My family thanks you much.

I purchased a life insurance policy for me, my husband and our children through Unum via payroll deduct. We were told we could take it with us if we ever decided to leave and that we needed to buy it right then (when they first came to our company) so that we wouldn't need to have medical tests, etc. I paid into it faithfully for 2 years. Today my employer notified us that due to Unum not paying claims for our hourly workers disability claims, we were switching to Aflac. All our policies would be guaranteed there. Well, no. Aflac wouldn't offer life insurance for my husband since in August of this year he was diagnosed with colon cancer. While I HOPE we don't need to use it, we now NEED desperately to have that policy.

I contacted Unum to set up a way to keep the policy and pay them as if I had left the company... You know, keep my policy and they told me that we aren't allowed to keep our policies unless we were with them 5 years and I was only with them 2! Wait?! So you sold it to us saying we could take it with us if we quit etc. but now refuse to let me keep it? So now I paid 2 years into a policy I can't keep (which was a lie) and Aflac who is taking over won't let me buy a policy because he has a preexisting condition now! I tried contacting another company and was told he will have to be cancer free for 5 years before they will even consider giving him a policy at a very high rate. (Colon cancer). He's only 45. I'm already beat up enough over the fact he's sick, trying to make sure he gets all the treatment he needs to get well and now the only insurance we had on him is gone? How can they do this?

This company is terrible; it's scam. They do not pay or they slow pay. I was out six weeks from work, never got a form to fill out until I got back to work. Never received a payment the entire time I was out on medical leave. Extremely disappointed with this company. Of course, it says a lot about the company that I work for having this company as a disability provider.

I have read the other complaints on Unum and feel they probably aren't getting a fair review. Of course people report when they are upset but how many don't even think to share when they are satisfied? My husband had spinal fusion surgery last month and got his initial 5 weeks paid (1st week is unpaid per their policy and we were aware of it because we read before we signed). He is an electrician and does very physically demanding labor. His doctor wants him off for another 3 months to properly heal. I understand Unum can't just automatically approve his 90 days without continuing to follow his progress. Our specialist has already extended it once and immediately went into review status instead of dropping us once that second extension period ended.

We have a wonderful Disability Specialist, Keillor **, who is basically holding our hand and guiding us through the whole process. He returns any calls we make and he answers all of our questions. He lets us know upfront what is required in order to continue to receive benefits. We are not finished with this medical leave yet but so far in the 8 weeks he's been off we have not had to worry about caring for our 2 daughters (both autistic special needs) since I know we are in GREAT hands!

Unum only paid 5 weeks of short term disability for pregnancy (coverage did not begin until 7 days after delivery). I had a cesarean section delivery and was expecting the 8 weeks of disability recommended in the state of Florida but Unum denied payment after 5 weeks and denied an appeal after providing additional documentation. I had an upper respiratory infection prior to delivery and while hospitalized for the delivery I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I was discharged on time but required continued care under a pulmonologist. It complicated my recovery but it didn't matter to Unum. Given what I paid into the policy, it would have been wiser and more cost effective to put the money into a savings account.

When I tried to cancel my policy upon my return to work I was told to call back because the system was down. I called back and was told my policy was canceled and that a letter was sent. I followed up a week later because I had not received a letter and found out that the policy was not canceled and canceled it again. I received an email confirmation when signing up and received an email when I filed an online claim, but they could not send me an email to confirm cancellation. I am disgusted with this company and will never purchase a policy through them again. It is a scam.

Unum is a ripoff, they don't help with claims when they are submitted. You get nothing for paying your premiums. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. They don't have direct deposit if you do get a claim. You pay them your money and they give you nothing. They deny every claim you put in, if you don't stay overnight in the hospital you get nothing if you file a claim. THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!! YOU WILL GET NOTHING!!!

Aug. 19, 2016 I had abdominal surgery for the 6th time. We knew, and the doctor knew this was going to be a lengthy recovery. The process started out great, people on the phone were delightful and helpful. Things spiraled down from there. On 8/26 I received my normal paycheck for working up to 8/18. Unum stated given the nature of my surgery, I should return to work 8/30. I received a letter stating that following the 7 day waiting period I would receive a check for 3 days at 60% of my rate. I contacted my doctor to submit the necessary paperwork, to which they complied. 3 days later I called to check the status and I was informed the paperwork was insufficient. No one called me, they said I would receive a letter.

Long story short, the doctor's office re-sent paperwork 4 times with a tentative return to work date of Oct. 1. 3 weeks later I was paid a portion of what Unum owed me. For an insurance company, they "lose" paperwork a lot! People at the call center are hopeless, and my account specialist is a joke. The best part so far is the letter I received stating I was released from my doctor to return to work on 9/22/16. They have yet to produce documentation to prove that. They are FRAUDS. Short term disability is free through my employer, and good thing, because I will NEVER give this company a penny of my money... I am ready to seek legal counsel.

My employer uses Unum as our short term disability vendor. I have been with my employer for over a decade and after many bouts of stress/anxiety/panic and depression, I decided with the advice of my doctors and the support of my boss to take some time off to deal with these issues. I love my job but it is stressful and my work/life balance is compromised. I wanted to take time off to get in a better mental place so I can be an efficient and clear minded employee.

I opened my claim for STD in mid August with all the appropriate paperwork from my doctor. It took a thousand calls from me (none from them) and 6 weeks of pure aggravation in the end to only have my claim be denied on grounds of it being work related! UMMM... isn't that what I stated from day one? Shouldn't have someone at Unum communicated this 'work related' exclusion clause to me? It would have saved me weeks of aggravation and hence, deeming my leave useless as I was still stressed out and suffering from anxiety attacks due to being in disability limbo. The worst experience ever!

I've been an RN Case Manager at Hahnemann Hospital, part of Tenet Healthcare, since September 2003. I have had to use the Unum disability insurance (the only option we're provided with) for any medical leave since being hired, and have had many more negative interactions than positive ones. I have had chronic back pain since an MVA in 1991, which I was desperate enough to make go away that I agreed to a 2-level spinal fusion in 1/2003 (even though I knew there was a really good chance that it wouldn't help!). I was right, it didn't help, and when I tried to get my employer (Horizon Blue Cross of NJ) to set me up to work from home (which other nurses doing my same job were already doing! ), she instead fired me for being absent! I started working at Hahnemann a few months later.

Since 2006, I've had to misfortune of having to use Unum multiple times for short-term disability, and I've had problems with my payments for more half of those periods of disability. Since I returned to work after all but present episode, I was eventually able to start bringing in money again by returning to my job. This time, however, I'm in a different position. I've been getting treated for osteoarthritis in my knees, hands, wrists & fingers for years. At this point, I'm no longer able to tolerate hours of computer, mouse, charting & writing anymore, and & meds I've been taking all these years make me a little drowsy, leaving me in danger of being fired for sleeping on the job!

I didn't receive the check for the initial 6 weeks I was out (which included a 2-week elimination period that I was paying extra to reduce from 4 weeks) until AFTER I was initially scheduled to have returned to work! I was the one who put the paperwork into the fax machine at the doctor's office for the first 6-week extension of my leave. I gave them a few days to work on the records, and then discovered on the website that they had closed the claim! I called them, and went back to the doctor's office to resubmit everything to them through the end of July, and waited again for something to happen. Nothing did, so again I called, and uploaded the chart info myself to ensure they couldn't deny receiving them.

The day after the records were uploaded, Unum generated another letter again asking my doctor for his records. When I called to tell them that both the office & I had submitted the requested information. I was then assured that the information was received & was being reviewed. Today, I dropped off my prescription for my pain meds and found out that my health insurance, which I sent almost $1,300 to Tenet to keep intact just after receiving the payment from Unum for June, 2016 (that I didn't receive until the last week of AUGUST!). I have to now deal with the Tenet benefits department to see if there is anything that I can do to get this mess fixed.

My doctor wonders why my normally average blood pressure has gone into the stroke (200/100) range! The people at Unum have no conscience; they've received specific notes from my doctor noting that my blood pressure has been too high for him to give me steroid injections in the joints in my fingers, which has not happened to me before this summer.

I had major stomach surgery 2 months ago and under my doctor's orders was scheduled to be out for 6 weeks. Unum paid my claim for 4 weeks and decided that they were not going to pay for my additional 2 weeks because I was able to go back to work. Who the hell do they think they are?? If my doctor says I need to be out, an insurance company, who does not know me or my circumstances has no right to deny my claim!!! I have just filed an appeal and I am waiting to hear back. If the claim is denied again, I am calling my attorney. Unum is an insurance company, not a team of surgeons who know what a patient needs. My company and I pay money into the insurance company for my STD... It's not their money!!

I have it for short term and as a supplemental insurance! I pay 86.00 a pay for supplemental and they deny to pay claims and they take 2 weeks plus to pay. Please please do not purchase this insurance, you will have nothing but heartache! I had bilateral hand surgery, they refuse to pay for the second surgery. Lucky before I had them done I called and they told me they would pay for both hands, so since the phone call was recorded they had to pay!! Then my last week off work they would not pay me cause (even though the doctor said I wasn't able to return to work) they refused to pay my last week off!!!

Compare Disability Insurance