Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

My mom purchased a long term care policy thru her employer 20 years ago. I have the original policy as well as all her payments and correspondence. In September of 2020 she was placed into a Memory Care facility due to dementia. I started the claim process in September and it is February 13, 2021 and Unum has still not honored the contract. I submitted all paperwork plus my DPA. They lost my DPA twice, needed Dr’s orders plus clinical notes twice. Set up Direct Deposit - still not getting correct payments. Her policy is to pay $1000 for 24 months. First payment in January was $560. When asked why, the Benefit Specialist said they didn’t know what licensing her Memory Care had so they were paying a lower rate. After 4 months they didn’t think about that?

About a week later, I received a call stating the full rate was approved. I asked what is the full rate and he reluctantly said $1000. I asked to confirm the length of time and he said, “I don’t have that information “. He calls back a week later and says yes, 24 months. I just got her check for January - it’s for $620. UNUM is a scam. The longer they avoid paying, the greater likelihood she will die and they can keep her benefit. I have never dealt with a more corrupt company. At first I just thought they were incompetent, but I have realized it is a time delay process for them. My mom would have been better off putting her money into a minimum yield investment vehicle. I have spent unknown hours dealing with the company and it is still not honoring its contract! Shame UNUM. You should not be in the marketplace. Preying on the elderly, when they can’t help themselves and need the benefit at the most costly time of their life ($6,600 a month).

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

It literally only pays for the cleaning/check up. It's not worth it. That is fairly inexpensive, anyway, and not worth having insurance for. I had a cracked molar and required a crown. It was the first time I've needed anything more than a filling.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

After years of paying my premium bi-weekly... for over ten years. Then receiving long term benefits after a series of spine surgeries and was determined to be disabled by the surgeons. This company has now decided to ask me for the benefit money back after I began receiving SSDI. They calculated what SS would pay me then adjusted my benefit to under livable wages a month. My calculations have shown that I paid them over a ten year span tens of thousands in premiums and now they are asking that I pay them 10% or four years of what they paid since going out on long term. I have paid them more than twice over in premiums during my employment before retiring with this disability. It’s not fair and I am gonna fight them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I had a total hysterectomy 8 weeks ago & was approved for 3 weeks STD. I called UNUM to ask about claim extension process and what needed to be done. First it was a questionnaire that needed to be filled out by the doctor’s office. Then it was medical records and now it’s a narrative from the doctor. It’s now 8 weeks post op and still have not been made any progress on my claim.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I had an accident that has cost me 1000s. Unum promised reimbursement. They sent me $75 and closed my case. They NEVER responded to my message. The CEO makes over $2 million a year. Not happy with this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I was stuck in limbo because no one reached out to me about needing information. My online account also didn't state that I needed any more paperwork. I was lucky to finally get a hold of someone. You have to keep calling to get answers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

2 STD claims for my back surgeries. After dealing with countless record requests, requests going to the wrong doctor MANY times, VERY late payments such as 8-12 weeks late, sending literally HUNDREDS of pages of records just for them to “need more information”, flooding my doctors office with the physicians statement form DOZENS of times for the same surgery saying they needed more information. Unum is directly responsible for destroying me financially, EVERY payment I received was so late that it set me behind on my bills so bad I’m still trying to get caught back up, months later. Their delays have destroyed my credit scores, my car got repossessed twice because of Unum's late checks. Luckily my bank understood the situation after I told them about my surgeries and dealing with Unum.

I burned all of my savings just to try to keep from losing my house while I waited for a check from them. All the while dealing with customer service reps making “notes” about the urgency of the situation, which they were causing in the first place, and them saying, “Oh I’m sorry”. I would rather go through both back surgeries over again, without anesthesia, than deal with Unum again. Stay very far away from this company, they will bury you in record request, tell you they don’t have enough information, and force you to wait for months to get a payment. You’d be better of begging for change on the corner.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I am a person who has had two STD claims this year. For the first my employer used Cigna and the experience was great. Good service. Accurate accounting and prompt payments. Then my employer switched to UNUM and the experience is 100% the opposite on all counts . My claim rep is one step above moron. Payments are very slow. It is now 12/24 and my last payment was for pay period ending 12/2 even though my claim status is approved thru 12/15. Of the four payments I have received two have been incorrect and needed supplemental payments. Each time requiring me to spend time explaining the error to the claims rep. In frustration I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I could not.

This is the poorest service I have ever received. The kicker is that there is no question about the claim. I had major surgery that required a two week hospital stay. I have given up on them and turned it over to my employers HR staff. I don't know what the savings was for switching but the wasted time trying to deal with claims will clearly off set any savings. Stay away from UNUM!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Customer service is very terrible. Representative doesn’t call back to inform you what’s going on with your claim. Doesn’t care about your needs or concerns. Very poor communication. Been going through with this since 7/29/2020.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I started paying for long term care insurance in 2007 thru my employer. Back then I think it was about $100 per month which covered me and my wife. Well about 6 years ago we got a price increase which amounted to doubling the monthly premium to $200 per month. When questioned they said this was a new insurance market for them and they were starting to realize higher costs now that some folks were using the benefits they paid for much like the current letter with excuses why the increase. Don’t they have actuarial people that know what they are doing? Of course cost will go up as the boomers start needing long term care.

Today 11/01/2020 I got another price increase notice which is another 52% increase to $ 400 per month. I am retired so these increase affect my monthly finances. They stated that because I had the inflation coverage option that is why I was getting the increase because their costs out of pocket are increasing because more people are now using what they paid for. With actuarial numbers they should have expected this kind of activity. This appears to me to be a bait (low ball starting price) and switch (get you hooked like a drug user and invested) so it becomes a more difficult decision to end it. I have over $30,000 invested in this program so it becomes more difficult to walk away from. Had I invested these monthly premiums in the stock market I would have around $100k so that may be a better option for all that are reading this and considering long term care insurance.

So at this rate I guess I can expect and increase (compounding) every three to five years of about 50 %? I see this as get “them hooked early with low rates,” keep increasing the rates until the insured gives up and forfeits all the money they have paid in or forfeit the inflation portion of the policy to not get the increase. Unfortunately my monthly payment without inflation clause would be $4000 to a nursing home which in today’s world averages about $7500 per month so the balance would eat up my hard earned savings over time should I last for a long time in a nursing home. That money needs to go to my kids not the nursing home which is why I bought the policy in the first place.

This company is very disreputable in my opinion. They should be investigated by the insurance bureau of New Jersey for these kinds of increases. They also should hire some professional actuaries so the projections would be more timely and realistic and rates would be more real world...but then they would be so high no one could afford them so this company would not be able to sell anything. See where I am going. I will call them tomorrow to voice my displeasure and find out what my options are. It is no fun being 74 years old. The way we are treated is a crime. Money is truly the root of all evil!!!

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor