Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Customer service is very terrible. Representative doesn’t call back to inform you what’s going on with your claim. Doesn’t care about your needs or concerns. Very poor communication. Been going through with this since 7/29/2020.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I started paying for long term care insurance in 2007 thru my employer. Back then I think it was about $100 per month which covered me and my wife. Well about 6 years ago we got a price increase which amounted to doubling the monthly premium to $200 per month. When questioned they said this was a new insurance market for them and they were starting to realize higher costs now that some folks were using the benefits they paid for much like the current letter with excuses why the increase. Don’t they have actuarial people that know what they are doing? Of course cost will go up as the boomers start needing long term care.

Today 11/01/2020 I got another price increase notice which is another 52% increase to $ 400 per month. I am retired so these increase affect my monthly finances. They stated that because I had the inflation coverage option that is why I was getting the increase because their costs out of pocket are increasing because more people are now using what they paid for. With actuarial numbers they should have expected this kind of activity. This appears to me to be a bait (low ball starting price) and switch (get you hooked like a drug user and invested) so it becomes a more difficult decision to end it. I have over $30,000 invested in this program so it becomes more difficult to walk away from. Had I invested these monthly premiums in the stock market I would have around $100k so that may be a better option for all that are reading this and considering long term care insurance.

So at this rate I guess I can expect and increase (compounding) every three to five years of about 50 %? I see this as get “them hooked early with low rates,” keep increasing the rates until the insured gives up and forfeits all the money they have paid in or forfeit the inflation portion of the policy to not get the increase. Unfortunately my monthly payment without inflation clause would be $4000 to a nursing home which in today’s world averages about $7500 per month so the balance would eat up my hard earned savings over time should I last for a long time in a nursing home. That money needs to go to my kids not the nursing home which is why I bought the policy in the first place.

This company is very disreputable in my opinion. They should be investigated by the insurance bureau of New Jersey for these kinds of increases. They also should hire some professional actuaries so the projections would be more timely and realistic and rates would be more real world...but then they would be so high no one could afford them so this company would not be able to sell anything. See where I am going. I will call them tomorrow to voice my displeasure and find out what my options are. It is no fun being 74 years old. The way we are treated is a crime. Money is truly the root of all evil!!!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Unum Disability Insurance review. I was approved for LTD. After 5 months Unum reduced my monthly payment by what they estimate social security disability payments could be. This after daily harassment to get me to apply for SS. This policy as well as everybody else's is not worth the paper it is written on. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

My experience with UNUM started when I arranged Critical Illness through my company. 2 months ago I suffered 2 strokes, so when discharged from hospital, contacted my company to make a critical illness claim. The company was UNUM and the doc sent from work confirmed that I was covered for a stroke. I made the claim online. All seemed to be going well. I have now been informed that UNUM have refused my claim because I am a type 1 Diabetic.

I have been a diabetic over 30 years and although in the 1990s car insurance used to discriminate because of diabetes, the law changed and this discrimination was stopped. I only found the full details of the specific related condition exclusions through UNUM after making the claim and being subsequently rejected. It's hard enough living with a chronic medical condition for over 30 year to then suffer 2 strokes, thinking if anything happens my critical illness will help pay the mortgage.

Now I feel cheated, why can a company like UNUM take money from me and refuse to pay when I need them. It didn't state anywhere when joining that specific related condition exclusions would apply. It's worse than online theft, it's legal theft. I don't have a leg to stand on and the complaint to UNUM was not even answered. Please do yourself a favor and avoid UNUM at all cost. They are legitimate scammers. Go find a decent Insurer who doesn't bend the matrix code to cheat its customers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We submitted a claim to them in June and STILL do not have reimbursement. They are giving us such a run around, they are creating so much hassle for our orthodontist's office. They have said they approved the claim, yet we still don't have a check and we still can't get any answers. It takes sometimes weeks to get a response from them. This is so unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

This company has done whatever it takes to deny my claim just to save money. I know we all want to make money but when you do it at the expense of people and their families that makes you very bad people and it’s worse when we have this sickness going on.

Original review: July 31, 2020

We purchased a Long Term Care policy about 18 years ago, and since then Unum has stopped offering these policies. However, they have increased the premiums consistently over the years - about 15% each time. It was last increased 2 years ago, and yesterday we received another notification of a 15% increase. It seems they are trying to get elderly people who've paid thousands of dollars in premiums already, to drop the policies by these ongoing price increases. If First Unum did not plan sufficient reserves to cover the policy costs they should never have gotten into the business. What are actuaries for if not to plan for worst case scenarios and potential cost increases.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My husband was involved in motorcycle accident that had STD through UNUM through a company he has been working for, for 28years. He has never used this benefit unit his accident. He was out of work for 3.5 months and had to use his benefits. UNUM is now REQUIRING us to pay them back 11K from a settlement that we have not received, claiming that we were OVERPAID and we have one month to pay it back! How can we be overpaid when THEY have to approve the claims?!

He has paid into this benefit for many many years and now they want their money back?! How were we to live... How ARE we to live when we don't have the money. Forget that we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC! I would NEVER encourage anyone to use this company. You pay your dues but you will never reap the benefits! The lady that hit my husband did not have enough insurance to even cover the 78K in medical bills from the surgeries. We will never be out from under this accident. Unum is the WORST!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I’ve been paying in to my disability for seven years with the confidence it would be there if I needed it. But Unum practically asks for everything while in recovery. I was in a coma and in a hospital 3 hours from home and the agent was snippy about not filing when I was hospitalized—- I didn’t even know what month it was. I forgot an entire week of my life and went into multi organ failure. They want statements from every single doctor and want to know every test done. The test results alone are 500 pages. I know they aren’t being reviewed by a physician. I got out of the hospital a month ago and they act like I should have returned to work the day after I woke up from a coma when I was still intubated and couldn’t remember my mom’s phone number. Even my supervisors at work don’t expect me back right now.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have to quarantine for 3 weeks, due to Covid-19. I applied for Short-term disability and was told I don't qualify because I am not disabled. I have a letter from the clinic, I was tested at and a letter from the Health department stating I cannot work. This company is a joke.

UnumProvident Insurance Company author review by Matthew Brodsky

Unum is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having first offered insurance prior to the Civil War. It became the first disability insurance provider in the United States in 1939.

• Online tools to help users choose the right policy: Users can answer questions online to find out which disability policy is right for them.

• Covers childbirth as well as short-term illnesses: People who cannot work while pregnant or due to complications of childbirth can take advantage of short-term disability benefits.

• Individual supplement available: Consumers who depend on commissions or bonuses at work can purchase supplemental insurance to protect them in the event of a disabling condition.

• Group plans for employers: Many users can purchase this insurance through their employers.

• Offers clear information online: Users can find out exactly what each policy covers by looking at the company's website.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor