Unum Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For 4 month UNUM has stalled and given both us and our dentist the run around. They referred us to this dentist as being in network and confirmed our coverage before procedure but have "lost", "never received" "lost again" info they requested. Our dentist office has literally pages or notes on the runaround they have given her. We even scheduled a conference call between UNUM the dental office and ourselves and were assured they had everything and a month later still nothing. When we called was told it had just sat for another month but they would get it done. 2 weeks later still nothing. Now we have been placed for collection and are turning it over to our attorney because now they have damaged our credit as well. Dental office turning them over to the state of Georgia. Never have had service this bad. Whatever it takes our company will not be using ANY of their insurance service next year. After reading reviews, seems this is a company wide practice.

I suffered brain damage and a "failed back" (pain despite 2 surgeries) and am disabled. My job was being an emergency physician. I can't do that with brain damage. Unum put me "on claim" without hesitation and is sending me payments very regularly. I would like them to direct deposit, and they won't do that, which is annoying and I took off one star for it. I read some of the other reviews, and honestly, as board-certified MD with 38 years of experience, many of these people are whining that their claim was denied, and then they identify their problems in their complaint, and they are truly and honestly NOT disabled, and I can see why Unum denied them, and I think Unum was right.

I established Unum Insurance through my employer in 2008-2011 and the both of them are very unethical. I enrolled in short-term disability insurance as well as long term disability insurance paying into the program for numerous of years and suffered an injury that I still have until this day. I was injured at work and this company gave me the run around about my insurance until the day I was wrongfully terminated. I asked for reimbursement and they refused. They are deceitful and in the business of making money off their consumers.

They have every reason under the Sun to not pay for my claim, I have received the run around. They are heartless. They do not want to pay no matter what. My surgeon and my PCP sent in all documentation to support my absence for a month, with it being an emergency surgery. No preexisting condition or anything that my policy wouldn't cover and Unum still keeps coming up with ridiculous reasons not to pay when it's obvious I could not work which was most certain clear. No food on the table, had every reason to receive money from a company I have paid into every week. They do not care.

When dealing with Unum get an attorney pronto. They will try every trick in the book not to pay you. Other people I know who have dealt with them have experienced their special brand of "customer service". You have a legitimate claim. You have paid the premiums for years and they still try to deny, deny, deny. I spoke with a Dr today that said she has to word a claim "just so" or it will be denied. How these people sleep at night I don't know. I couldn't believe the review here that said an Unum rep will call them every week and ask them if they are watching TV? WTH. How dare you, Unum. Pay your bills. And shame on the company you work for-- for not doing their research and hiring a reputable company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Unum yet again has wrongfully deprived another sick/injured person of their disability insurance. I have 3 specialist physicians ALL stating my need for disability and yet Unum has wrongfully denied this based on their part time primary care doctors evaluation. On top of this, there have been 3 employees including a supervisor and contracted physician that have blatantly lied (on a recorded line) about physicians letters claiming my ability to return to work when in fact none exist. The contracted physician created a written statement claiming that one of my specialist physicians stated that "pt is ready to return to occupation at full time." This never happened and infuriated my physician so much that he wrote a strongly worded letter back to Unum and the contracted physician correcting their lies. In my opinion, never trust anything an Unum employee tells you and NEVER pay for any services that Unum has to offer.

My doctor put me off work for 3 weeks because of heart palpitations and the stress of my job. I was also put on blood pressure medication but we could not get it down. The claims expert informed me that I was not sick enough to stay off work. I asked him, "should I have ignored my doctor's request and gone to work?" He could not answer, but he did say that everyone gets stressed at work, but it should not have kept me off work. REALLY!!? Why am I paying into this plan?!! THIS IS CRAZY! I was waiting on this money to pay my bills. REALLY!??

Unum is by far the worst. I have for my short term disability, I pay for the 1100.00 every two weeks. I have been off work for little over a month due to a surgery. They keep giving me the run around game, I don't have time for that. I a single mom. Because of them stating they haven't got stuff after I have faced it multiple times doctors have faced it multiple time I am now unable to pay any of my bill or lot rent. I can't even put food on the table. They get paid so they don't care about anyone but themselves. I will not recommend them to anyone. They are useless.

While paying into the short term disability program for about six years I unfortunately had a tonic clonic seizure for the first time in my life due to stress. I was on bed rest for 3 weeks, could not move a muscle, was in pain medication (which makes it impossible to communicate with my staff or customers when it's strong and makes you sleep all day, had to be supervised 24:7 by family, supervised showers and my mother had to do regular bedside assistance for me to ensure I don't harm myself nor anyone else before my doctors put me on proper medication to figuring out what causes it.

The last week of April I was adjusting to the new medication due to its side effects making it impossible for me to work. I was looking for one month of pay from UNUM since that's what I have been paying into and they originally send me one week worth's pay. When I called in to check in the woman told me that she originally approved it but her manager went in to the system and ended up denying my claim stating I could have worked from home.

I immediately sent in an appeal with additional information from my doctor stating that working from home was revoked due to the amount of stress I encounter in my position. My neuro and regular doctor wanted to make sure I was not adding any other factors into my rehabilitation and wanted to make sure I was on proper medication before I returned to my job. Even after spelling it out for them and for them to disagree with a professional doctor is beyond disbelief! I have electroisa in my frontal lobe that are misfiring causing the seizure. Sounds like a disability to me but apparently UNUM thinks it was perfectly fine for me to go back to work the next day. Waste of money! This company is simply heartless. BTW they are also requesting that I pay back the original weeks worth of pay they sent me.

When I call on behalf of my mom - it's because she is pretty much not capable of speaking to you on the phone, considering that she has tubes down her nose etc. Making her be the one to call you is (you can fill in the word here)! I looked all over the place for an email or something that I can complain to. Why? Because trust me when I say, you do not want me calling you.

I worked for CVS health starting 4/4/2016. In July of 2016 my benefits kicked in along with the short-term disability which was taken out each pay period twice a month. Well I had surgery 3/22/2017. I was on leave of absence for 5 weeks starting 3/22/2017 and returning to work on 4/26/2017. I expected to get pay from my PTO/vacation time from CVS that I had accumulated during my leave. I did not receive any communication from Unum so I was not aware of the short-term disability kicked in 7 days after my surgery until 4/13/2017 that evening. I called Unum on 4/13/2017 but it was after hours. I received a call back on 4/17/2017 from Kayla whom was the specialist handling my claim. She told me my claim was approved through 4/19/2017.

When she told me the amount, I was like I did not receive anything for direct deposit or the Tax Form W-4. She said I could go online and submit the information. So, I did that. I called on 5/1/2017 inquiring direct deposit and the Tax Form W-4. An agent said she would put stop payment and have Kayla call me back. Kayla or no other rep called me back. I received a check anyway but taxes were still taken out and my direct deposit was not utilized. My W-4 clearly states EXEMPT. When I called today 5/9/2017 to ask about my taxes taken out, she said she will only reimburse for the last check and not first check since I didn't get that information in before she approved the first check.

Well the first check was approved 4/20/2017 which is the day of initial contact with UNUM. I told her this is bad business practice. She told me I can do whatever I need to do. So, therefore I am writing this complaint to get retro pay back for the taxes from the first check. I wrote the BBB and UNUM did respond admitting their negligence still refusing. Be warned!

I had hand surgery on 4/25, and optimistically requested a return to work of 5/17 (3 weeks). I am still in a cast (Cannot grip steering wheel since my thumb is casted in an unstable position. Plus, I have not had any OT/PT. The doctor requested the leave be extended to 6/8, making the total time off work 6 weeks and one day. I am a secretary who not only types for a living (Full-time with one of the largest employers in this field), as well as perform other tasks - ALL of which require my thumb. If I need to come back earlier, one day, in order to make the total time off 6 weeks, I will do that. My cast will be taken off & a custom splint will be put 5/25. We set 6/8 as the VERY latest, and would see how the PT/OT progressed. If doing well, I would return sooner than 6/8.

THE PROBLEM is the requirements for medical records, which has gone to my doctor, who sent them, but Unum "Says" they still have not received them. The request and receipt of records has been the issue. My policy clearly states that, "If we have not received the additional information by June 30, 2017, your claim will remain closed." ARE THEY PURPOSELY DELAYING THE PROCESS IN ORDER TO KEEP THE CLAIM CLOSED? I BELIEVE SO.

I was hit by a drunk driver 9/3/2015 and am just now trying to go back to work and this group of hateful people still have paid me less than 2% of what my policy provides. I have sold my car, my personal belongings and have gone up to five days in a row with no food because they do everything they can to not pay what they owe you. I have begged them for a check and they just don't care. And in case you didn't know, there is a secret website they use to upload your claim and communicate to anyone in the industry ANYTHING they want to without any regard to the truth or not.

My claim made it to that website and some person who has never met me, not spoke to me directly, attached his opinion to my claim that I was probably lying and the case was a fraud. So now I'm only a few weeks away from losing my home. Do they care I'm about to be homeless? No. Do they still think I'm lying? Probably. For your own sake, do not give these crooks one dollar of your money. And if you can, switch to any other company.

My husband is chronically ill. We don't have a diagnosis. Unum is no longer paying his benefit because a Specialist is not completing his paperwork. His health insurance premium is due in a few weeks. I cannot afford his health insurance premium, house payment, car, etc. After reading others' experiences I am planning on filing grievances with his employer and UNUM. The employer needs a new disability insurance company. He was a valued employee and I am now motivated to inform them about UNUM and their practices. The employer needs to read these reviews on consumer reports.

We are going through the same thing as everyone else. This is a nightmare and any family that is dealing with an unknown illness should not have to go through this fear or anxiety. Form after form is being sent to doctors and have been completed by the primary doctor several times. A doctor said, "don't give up because that's how changes are made". I hope she's right.

My husband had a massive stroke in 2014 and for 3 days they didn't know if he was going to live or die. He was in intensive care for a week, rehab for 2 months. He had brain damage, rendering him disabled for life. Social Security deemed him disabled immediately and he began receiving benefits immediately. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT didn't balk at the doctors' reports. He can't feel his right side from the top of his head to the bottom of his toes. He is dominant right but now does everything left handed. I have to cut his food for him. I have to button his buttons. I had to buy him an electric shaver and sonic toothbrush because he cuts himself to pieces with a blade razor and cannot maneuver the toothbrush to brush his teeth the traditional way. His shoes are slip ons. I bought him a long handle shoe horn.

He can't carry on a conversation and simple instructions are lost and confuse him. He reads very slowly and can't comprehend what he reads so he's quit reading. He went from a decent salary as a pastor to minimum wage pay cleaning the dining room of a fast food restaurant 8 hours a week. He stays home and "cares" for our daughter who was in an automobile accident 11+ years ago, rendering her a quadriplegic. He sleeps a lot and watches TV practically nonstop. He can't do much of anything else.

His friends don't know how to interact with him anymore so they have stopped checking in. They're not bad people. They just don't know how to talk with someone who was once the smartest man they knew, their pastor, their Shepherd, their mentor, their rock, to someone who gets words mixed up, past tense mixed up with present, she where he should be used, stuttering because his brain gets stuck on how to get one word out, and just plain "checking out" in the middle of idle chat. His focus is nearly nonexistent and he walks like a 90 year old from constant neurological pain and the fact he can't feel his entire right side.

For nearly 2 decades he put in money into his disability insurance without quibble and faithfully. He didn't require a whole bunch of forms, fully answered questionnaires, insurance commissioner letters, or anything to make Unum prove they were actually a worthy insurance company he could trust sending money to every month. He didn't feel the need to send a private investigators out to drill the company execs to see if they were legit. They said they were a disability insurance provider, had valid credentials and all the right licensing to prove it so. Well now that it's time to tap into what he's invested in for so many years he's being treated like a criminal! Yes, a PI was sent out to take pictures and we sat down for nearly 3 hours and answered an unbelievably long questionnaire. They paid a private investigator to drive 2 hours to lay eyes on my husband who is lucky to be alive and functioning!

Hundreds of dollars on paperwork, PI, phone calls to doctors, therapists, and who knows who else to pay my husband $70.02 per month! I have spent countless hours putting together paperwork to send to them. Not to mention copying costs. My husband has signed so many releases which he has done willingly! We've got nothing to hide! He LOVED being a pastor and would give anything to be able to return to his former profession. Or to do anything other than minimal wage jobs that don't require training or computing or more than 2 step instructions! Now they want tax returns, pay stubs, W2s, 1099s, releases for speech therapy notes. Every 2 months it's something else! They are the WORST company and everyone needs to BE AWARE! I'm sure there's some people who are out there that rip off insurance companies but c'mon! It's been 3 years.

My husband is not going to get better. His BRAIN suffered massive damage. He put in $60 a month for nearly 2 decades. He's only getting $70 back and I don't know if he will for the next 2 decades. He'll be over 80! Yeah. I'll send the package of information. I'll copy my sensitive tax returns and send them to you (at MY cost) through US mail and PRAY it doesn't get lost or stolen! I mean, it's just our full names, social security numbers, address, W2s, employment history, signatures. You know. Everything a thief needs to steal one's identity. For our $70 per month. But I will not be silent about it.

EVERYONE is going great to know what a horrible company this is and I am advising everyone not to put their money and hopes and trust in any company associated with Unum. By the way, I've called Mallory back twice and she hasn't called me so if she's going to deny my husband's claim for no communication, I have proof I've called so don't even go there!

When they sold me this Unum critical heart and cancer insurance if I had cancer or if I had a heart attack or needed heart it would pay so I could use it for out of pocket expenses. Don't waste your money on them. I had a rare surgery repositioning an artery which is found in about 5 percent of people. I had to have open heart to fix. Didn't get a dime from them. Couldn't even get their doctor to look at. Denied, denied. Don't waste your money on them. You will be denied too.

If I had NO disability insurance I would have been better off by far! They paid me 11,196.74/16/payments@$963.34/ea. Then took back 9,496.74 as an overpayment Because they said that payments should have been only $100.00/mo -- And demanded in a very threatening letter all the payback immediately. Why and Who would overpay you 863.34 a month for 16 months without some kind of backhanded deal going on. You could never get a real answers to questions. I won a disability case, I had a minor child, a retired husband and nowhere did I see "credits" for any of this or for the attorney's fees either---It was a terrible time to be harassed and to be so very ill.

My former employer, Gateway Mortgage Group, offered short and long-term disability insurance with our benefits in 2016. After trying chiropractic care and physical therapy, my surgeon advised in July that I would need to have spinal fusion surgery on L5-S1 and I would also need to have metal rods inserted to stabilize the spine. Gateway advised me that there was nothing to worry about and I had the surgery in November. I knew that the first two weeks were unpaid and that the short-term disability would kick in at 60% of my pay thereafter.

From the first moment that I dealt with Unum, they were rude, dismissive, and disrespectful toward me. "What was I doing on my time off?" and "Your job is not that stressful, why can't you work from home?" This started four weeks after surgery. It took them six weeks after my surgery to finally pay for four weeks of benefits. The following week, I received a letter from Unum stating that my claim would be denied unless I could provide further documentation stating that I was disabled. They took my doctor visit on December 12th and stated that since I was off of pain pills, there was nothing stopping me from going back to work. Being off of addictive painkillers was my choice but it does not mean that I was not in pain.

On January 4th, I told Unum that I would be seeking an attorney for an appeal to my case. I had my surgeon release me to go back (against his wishes) part-time from home on January 11th until my next visit with his office on February 6th. The attorney is still working on the case and I truly believe that Unum is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with. Later in January, I found a job with a better company. In my resignation letter to Gateway, I told them that they are ultimately responsible for their actions, the actions of their employees, and their third-party providers (Unum).

On November 9th of 2016 I went in for my 3rd Acl surgery. These were not work related. At that time Unum was ok with the short term, constant phone calls and paperwork to get them to do their job, but it got done. I am a 50 year old woman working in a factory job where I need to be lifting metal from a range of 20 lbs to 150 lbs. I have work there for 13 plus years. For 13 plus years I have paid for out of my own pocket for long term, just in case. Will, on Tuesday my doctor would only let me go back to work (this is after my 90 days of short term) at light duty. My work place, which I knew this beforehand, after 90 days if I can't make medium restrictions, cannot hold my job and at that time, let me go and issued long term.

Today I get a phone call from a Unum representative, questioning me on my recovery and why I could not go back to work. I told her that it is not me, it is my doctor and my work, if they have nothing for me to do at light duty, so I cannot go back to work. So this very rude woman started to question me, she said, "Well we were checking out your Facebook and see that you are a very active person, and we seen you posted a picture of you zip lining on vacation." I laughed and said, "Why yes, you did and if you are so smart to check out my pictures on Facebook you should of checked out the date and seen that that picture was taken 4 years ago."

Then she goes, "That I seen you took a vacation in January, and I seen that you were swimming." First I said, "Well yes I did, it was a cruise, and if you look at the pictures you say you did, you will see a doctor issued brace that I wore, you also need to know it was not me so called SWIMMING, take a better look, it is my daughter, daughter in law, son's girlfriend, my sister in law and a close friend, who do you think took the pictures of them swimming?" She also questions hunting pictures that I had posted in my memories, from 2 to 3 years ago. She also question that I go to work out and questioned why I am not going to PT 3 times a week. I said that, "#1 my insurance reset at the first of the year and now it is out of pocket, so I cut it down to 1 time a week so I can afford it. #2, I go to work out because of me not doing PT 3 times a week, I need an Elliptical and a bike to use to get the strength back in my leg."

She was rude and downright demeaning, I told her before I ended the call that, "It is NOT me, NOT wanting to go back to work, it's work not having anything to fit my restrictions." Maybe she needs to be calling them and asking them why? I am a very active person and life does not stop. I knew that this would be happening and was proactive and have job interviews for jobs that I can do with my restrictions. I am just amazed at how they treat people, not everyone in this world is out to screw them. It makes me wonder, because there are people worse off than me, with worse health conditions and this is how they treat people. Wow.

After reading all of these reviews I am not shocked at all about my claimed being denied. Do not waste your money whether it's through a group or individual policy. I had two doctors put me out on FMLA but apparently Uclaimdeniedum knows more about my condition than the two doctors treating me and refuses to pay for the time I was out on FMLA. They will run you in circles with requests, hoping you will give up, after complying with their requests and giving them authorization to get any information they need they will then turn to legalese of your policy to deny it. Appeal filed and nothing new was done by appeal specialist at UClaimdeniedum. Complaint filed with insurance commissioner in state and to mediation it is.

I was forced to sign-up for an individual disability policy with UNUM when I started my job in June 1999. I became disabled for a short time in 2005-2006. I let them know approximately 4 months later. I had no problems getting paid (minus the mandatory 90 day wait period). I was able to go back to work and I kept my policy. In 2007, I became permanently disabled. Again, after the 90 day waiting period, I have had no problems with UNUM. I did have to see a physician of their choosing (2007) along with my own physicians. What I have found with UNUM is as Follows: They like you to see specialists that are top of their field, like at a large university training facility. There is no disputing a physician who is top in their field. They like very detailed information. If you can't fill out your portion of the claim form similar to how a physician would, get help from someone (NOT an attorney!!!).

Make certain the physician fills out every single area on their form. If possible, review the form with them if at all possible. If you have several physicians (which is best), pick the one that is the most sympathetic and knows ALL of your medical issues. Most importantly, UNUM is a business. Their job is to keep their policy holders off of disability. They are running a "for profit" business. Make certain you have all of your paperwork completed and together before you submit your claim. Good luck and to everyone, hopefully better health in the future.

Unum is the worst company I've ever dealt with. I paid for policy in good faith for years, when I needed them most, they failed. I have chronic kidney disease stage 4. Left my employment in May of 2015, received a few payments, then all of a sudden they send a questionnaire to a doctor I hadn't seen in awhile. Long story short, doctor wasn't aware of everything that was going on, sends in form, they didn't like the way it was written so denied me payments even though my main doctor submitted time and again what my illness was. So now until I hear from Social Security, I have no money at all. Stay far away from this company. They should be put out of business. Wish I had taken Aflac instead.

I handed in all of my paperwork a month early. I called often to see if I had made sure all paperwork was handed in. They said everything was all set and all you need to do is call the last day of work. I did all of this then come to find out the day I go into surgery they are missing documentation even though I had called and been proactive numerous times to make sure all paperwork was all set. They were rude and not helpful and continue to be. Very disappointed in the service I received with Unum.

I had an 18-month policy with UNUM paid for through employee deductions. Before I became ill I knew nothing about this company or their practices. My illness was of a mental nature so my policy was limited to 18 months (something HR forgets to tell you). Most policies are limited to 24 months and that is when they want you gone!

The claim representative harassed me on a weekly basis, spending 30 mins or more asking questions like: How do I spend my day, do I watch television, who cleans my house and so on. I take a lot of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds so I could not even think straight. They not only harassed me but sent my therapist and psychiatrist weekly questions. The rep even faxed my one doctor a form saying, "Sign this so your patient can go back to work!" The physician phoned me at home asking if I told UNUM that I was going back to work. I told him no, he said it was very sneaky of UNUM to fax this form as he is a very busy doctor and does not have time to look over every single insurance form. My therapist told me she has never ever been sent so many forms to complete and she has been in practice for over 35 years!

Yesterday, after 24 months of disability I logged on the UNUM website, apparently my claim is closed with no denial letter or explanation. I called UNUM Carrie out of the ME office but she was not available, how convenient. I asked why I could not access my documentation online and a customer service rep said he did not know and that it was just a coincidence, really.

I am quite relieved about being denied, even though I have never received a formal denial. No more phone calls from Carrie, no more harassment, no more added anxiety. I am absolutely positive they receive incentive bonuses on how many cases they can deny. How do I know? I was a no-fault adjuster for 34 years... the only difference is I never harassed claimants to the point that UNUM does. No point in getting an attorney as I think it would cost more than UNUM pays me. I will however make an Insurance Department complaint about UNUM's practices as it borders on BAD FAITH.

After suffering severe sciatica for years, I finally convinced myself that it was time to go for back surgery as my situation has gotten worse over the summer of 2016. I could not stand or walk for more than "10 sec". I couldn't sit and lay down in any position desired. It was true living hell. MRI showed Disc herniation with impingement on Sciatic nerve root. In Oct of 2016, I went for the microdiscectomy and laminectomy, during which it was found out that there were disc (L5-S1) fragments in the nerve canal causing significant narrowing of nerve canal, hence the pain and numbness in the leg. Surgery was successful. I could walk without limp, and my leg started gaining strength although there was pain from the surgery itself. It was ordered recovery for 8-12 weeks.

Ten days after the surgery, I got a call from UNUM if I could return to work. I was caught with surprise as my short term disability and medical leave were approved through the end of the year (11 weeks) and my surgeon recommended 8-12 weeks of recovery depending on how quickly I recover. I made a call to my UNUM case representative and she tried to explain to me that note from my prior doctor's visit (a week after the surgery) said I had no pain, hence I should be able to go back to work. Politely I explained to her that I was still on narcotic painkillers and no way I was in a position to sit and work and that I have not recovered.

A few days later, I get another mail that my claim was extended for 2 more weeks, and that I need to prove why I can't go back to work. After making several calls (she would never answer her direct line) and number of voice mails, I talked to someone on the Main line to have her contact me. Then she called me telling that Doctor's office didn't send them restrictions. I asked her if she has requested the same, apparently they sent number of pages for the doctor's office to fill and never made it clear what exactly they needed. I was extremely furious because I was in pain, disabled, and then these people made me feel insignificant and I had to convince them that I need time to recover after an illness and doctor's order is not enough. They needed restrictions as to what was keeping me off work. Obviously "being in pain after surgery" didn't count as a valid reason to them. What kind of insurance company is that?

I firmly told her that I was not to return to work till I had my follow-up with my surgeon in Dec. Then another mail that my claim was extended till the date of my follow-up appointment. In the meantime, I contacted my employer and HR and I explained them the harassment I had to go through at the time when I expected some empathy from UNUM. Reading from elsewhere, they do that to cancer patients too! Repeatedly asking them what is stopping them from returning to work while they go through the cancer treatment.

Finally it was day of my follow-up with surgeon. I asked my surgeon if I could go back to work, he said I could if I can. This was on a Thursday. Then I called UNUM the next morning (Friday). Again multiple calls with no response to the same agent. Left a voicemail and reached someone over the main line to tell them that I was going back to work on Monday. They asked me a series of questions, and there was the end of it. My disability claim was going to end and I was returning to work. Keep in mind that I was still recovering, just well enough to be returning to work. I was glad that I was done with UNUM. A week or so later, I receive another mail asking for documentation from Nov to Dec, proving why I had to stay off work. I ignored as I had already been working for over a week. A few days later, another mail asking for documentation, ignored again.

Then last week, another mail saying that my claim has been closed and was approved only till Dec 8 (Thursday) as last doctor's visit note had indicated no complications and that I was doing well and that they received a return to work note on Dec 15 but they only approved till Dec 8. Dec 8 is Thursday, Dec 9 is Friday, the day of the call. Dec 10, 11 - Weekend. Dec 12 - return to work. But they only approved till Dec 8th.

It's amazing how they think they can decide how long a person should recover post-op better than a medical provider. The vocabulary made me rethink what is "well" and what is "ability". "Your job requires only sedentary physical ability hence, we are closing the claim." Is pain hindrance to physical ability or mental ability? I obviously need mental ability with higher IQ and specific skills to perform my job, not just sedentary physical ability to be able to sit at desk all day long.

If you expect someone to go back to work 2 weeks post-op while on pain meds just because your job only requires sedentary physical ability, that is lame. I have no doubt someone would sue them because of their obstruction in post-op recovery and harassment they put them through.

Worst company and service for life and accident insurance. This company overcharged me $430.72 for the policy and issued a refund check that was overdue for cashing. I called in 4 times for it over the past 4. Every time, I was told that the check would be re-issued and the manager would call me back if any question. I never see the check issued and Nobody ever called me from UNUM. This company just simply hold my money there and not give me back. DO NOT EXPECT THIS COMPANY WILL PAY YOUR BENEFIT WHEN YOU NEED.

The worst company to deal with, they try to make you jump through hoops to keep "your own earned check." I am a above knee amputee on my left leg. I am awake sometimes 24hrs straight suffering from Residual Limb Syndrome, that leaves me completely worn out for days, on top of a severely malaligned right leg, with bone on bone in the knee as my medial plateau has disintegrated, plates and screws holding it all together. Neuropathy in my leg, foot and hands, Arthritis in my hands, leg and back/neck. An insulin dependent diabetic (5shots a day), Hypothyroidism and Gerd. I use a powerchair the majority of the time, yet Unum feels the need to make me recertify several times a year, these people are paid to knock as many people off their payout system as possible.

Know your rights people and don't let these heartless, no compassion crooks, push you around and cause you more stress!! As if being physically or mentally challenged isn't enough to deal with, lawyer up! I know how you all feel, as I just had to go to the Dr on 11/9/2016 to quote "re-certify"!! Then yesterday on 12/12/2016 I received a call from a new representative to say he is calling because I need to recertify! After explaining I was already forced to do that twice this year, (this is the 3rd). He said he wasn't going to argue with me? I said I feel I'm being harrassed for my disability and will be contacting an attorney. Call your disability advocate and your Attorney General for your state. I have enough trying to get through each day without them holding me hostage with what I've already earned and paid into! I have had enough. SPEAK UP PEOPLE and EXPOSE this ACTIVE HARASSMENT.

Updated on 12/27/2016: Right after I posted my review, they have stepped up my harassment, asking me for tax returns from 2011-13. I haven't made a dime. I tried a small home business as an independent distributor for a supplement company and never made a dime and if they checked on my order status they would see it was non-existent, as it didn't sell and I ended up getting stuck with the little I ordered. This company is a total joke and people should look elsewhere for their insurance needs of any kind.

They are known to troll people and try to get them so tired of trying to jump through hoops by making them recertify multiple times each year to keep their own earned benefits. Some get sick of it and say piss off and that is exactly what they are hoping for, to cause people to walk away from the aggravating, unneeded stress to people who already have enough challenges just dealing with their disabilities. Unum, YOU DISGUST ME and should be ashamed of your treatment of already hurting people. I see all the reviews of those who are feeling this Rotten Companies GREED. Get a Lawyer people... I Am.

We had "Unum" as our Dental Benefit work provider, which was previously known as NDP which they took over from Capita in the UK. Every single claim was a hassle. If you had two dental appointments close together (I hate dentist so like to get the pain done and dusted quickly) for 2 separate teeth, they would class this a single course of treatment. Every claim was a quibble. Even though the dentist had filled in the form detailing that is was a separate filling and/or other treatment it was quibbled over, wasting the dentist's time and my time. I would never sign up to Unum again as part of a corporate dental plan. Everything is the bottom line, no empathy, so feeling or understanding, just questioning every time every claim. Don't bother with them, go elsewhere.

November 1 2016 I had a stroke and while I was in the hospital my wife filed my claim for me, so when I got out to find the hospital and I was going online to check the status of my claim Unum was send out a letter stating they needed more paperwork (Proof) that I had a stroke. So on November 16 I had went to follow up with my doctor since being discharged from the hospital and my doctor was telling me that the TPA shot saved my life because we caught it on time thank god. So that same day I called Unum and I was told that my paperwork work basically have to say I was diagnosed with a stroke which it did state that from my doctor and my medical records from the hospital.

November 18 the paperwork was uploaded to the site and I gave them time to review them so on the 23rd I called them around 3 o'clock and I was told that they received them but they was not looked over yet and was told that they will be closed for the holiday and that Friday so I was like I'll call them Monday to follow up. Well Thanksgiving day something told me to check my claim and when I did they denied me and closed it out and gave me a reason saying they denied me cause I didn't send them my documents showing my CT test... now in the beginning they asked for paperwork showing I was diagnosed now they on so other crap so yes it's like that for them and I'm waiting to for my letter so I can fight this. It's sad you pay them but when it's time for them to kick out they come up with some bull so me and my lawyer bout to jump all on top of this!!!!

These folks at UNUM are trained to get rid of you. I have been reading all of your reviews. There is not one review I have read here that isn't true. I am 43 today and at 40 I had 4 heart attacks in 72 hours. Needless to say 2 days later I was on a cold table getting stents in my heart (widow maker 98% blockage and another was 75% blockage and so on). Went back to work a week later and worked 122 hours (bi-weekly). Yes the first heart attack took place at work on the clock.

1.5 yrs later I had a serious fall at work again on the clock and the week I was at my 68th hr (7 days) and haven't worked a day sense. Learned that I blew L1-S1 completely! NO RECOVERY. I out my std claim in for the fall and was denied for my heart attacks... HUM? Ok fine I'll wait the 90 days... pppdffttt... 5 months later I get approved for long term for L1-S1 and that was only after 3 doctors said wrote "can't not work" and 3 days a week of PT.

As my pain grew and grew more scans were done and learned that T-7-8-9 were also bulged and ready for rupture. Still no answer from UNUM. NONETHELESS a severely injured back doesn't rebuild discs or fix it's self it only gets worse... RIGHT? They finally agree that "ok you're hurt" after a med-tronics stem system implant was placed for lumbar drop foot and several other nerve issues were showing up that "ok we will pay for now"... the very day after my surgery a field visit was scheduled and I was forced to engage because UNUM SAID SO...

I got my every 6 week medical review via phone calls for 2 yrs. They paid yes but the work I had to do over the phone in between migraines wetting myself and just staying half alive... wait??? I don't work for them, they work for me... RIGHT??? WRONG ANSWER. You become a mouse and do their dirty work for them because you are responsible for all the paperwork they need... isn't that why I updated them with doc #'s and fax #'s and signed THE MILLION RELEASES was for them to get those with out me doing it?

Now to present day 12-3-16. I have learned my case manager Tracy S** is not my friend and is very VERY trained in her job. She had lies and lies and lies false statements and documents etc... once she was caught up with and I put her on the spot... I now get the old field visit from a rep that truly wants to help better understand my disabilities... pppdffttt... I call BS they are PI's hired by UNUM TO get you off of plan. My field visit was set up by UNUM long before I ever was told anything... they should give 30 days advanced notice... people who are sick have doc appts and don't feel good A LOT let alone the back pain and so forth. He has demanded I allow him in my home to take PI's of my home and me and my script bottles and I am to have a report ready of all my docs address # complete with fax # s... they have all that already... it's a scam to get you to do something that they say you can do... don't fall for it...

I will be recording the ENTIRE INTERVIEW and if he gets pushy and demands one DAMN thing from me he will be asked to leave... they already have all of your info... otherwise how would they know what to ask and do at the INTERVIEW... UNUM is not your friend. Thieves and liars... IF YOUR DOC SAYS NO WORK THEN NO WORK... STAND UP TO THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE RIPPING OFF PEOPLE FOR MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS... based on lie and false reports.. Look it up. Read up on it. Please I beg you don't let them get to you... today I was so worked up over it all I had to drop nitro to get calmed down and the chest pain to stop... they are coming here to get in my face and get rid of me... please people know UNUM is no good...

Compare Disability Insurance