Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company

2.7/5 (769 ratings)

About Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Filed a STD claim 36 days ago. Supplied all requested info and docs. Physicians did the same. Redundant information was requested and supplied. There was sporadic contact with the agent handling the claim. Via telephone. No email available. Now I'm leaving voice mails with no response. A true example of the insurance industry. Collect premiums, withhold benefits. 3rd experience with an STD carrier over 20yrs. By FAR the worst. Good luck.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Awful experience! They take forever to get a claim to get approved and require sooo much medical information to the point where it feels like an invasion of personal health information. Once a claim is approved it is only good for 1 week and then you have to do the process all over again, making it difficult while seeking therapy. Please find a different short term disability insurance company.

Original review: July 9, 2021

They are making it impossible to get your claim going by asking for soooo much information, and now they are asking your physician for a detailed letter why you should be off work for a week. Like they don't know what they're talking about. I have an enlarged aorta and a fib. I've been to So many doctors, who the hell should I ask to sit down for 15-20 min. and write a ** letter.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Quit my job, wanted to keep my same life insurance. Submitted all the paperwork, sent it in, they said I didn't submit a blank check, which we did, did it again. Months later we noticed that they didn't take from our bank account so the phone calls started. Hung up on, all members of the office are in a meeting all day, etc. Over a week later I get someone to help. Nobody can find my policy based on name, SS#, DOB, or company. I dug through paperwork, got the policy number, call back, nobody can find it based on that. They go to transfer you, hang up. Call back, get the number they trying to transfer to in case, they try to transfer, hung up. Call that new number, on hold for over 30m, even try on my wife's phone number, seemingly get better results, hung up on again!

Finally get an answer on the my phone, get attitude from the start, no answers as to why nobody can find my account, tell her to stop auto debit, more attitude, won't even answer my questions, just dead silence. Find out you can't access your account online or login to see payments or even view your account with them. All you can do is call and harass them! We find out how to terminate with them, I end the call. I called my bank and stopped future payments, they tell me that the company might try to use a different name to get around the block. Lovely. I don't think I've ever had this bad of customer service! Ever!

Original review: May 22, 2021

My experience with Unum Dental has been horrible. I have periodontal disease and switched to a new dentist. The dentist was very reasonable and performed perio-maintenance. I have great teeth but lousy gums. The dentist Tom ** did a great job, and the insurance company has made his office submit and resubmit multiple times. I am a teacher in Texas, and Advanced Financial Group in Lufkin, TX picked this insurance company. I might be getting dental through a private company if I can when the benefits become available again. I tried to get their fax number for the requested documentation, and they refused. I believe that the ones who said that this company will do anything to avoid payment are accurate.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I purchased LTC insurance through my employer with Unum in 2012 for both myself and my husband. We purchased a specific dollar amount and time frame recommended by my financial adviser for an average of what most people would need. I just recently filed a claim for my husband whom at age 69 has early onset Alzheimer's and needs 7/10 help with his daily needs and is now in memory care. My experience with Unum has been excellent. They have been kind, extremely responsive and quick to approve our claim. Our monthly payments are being received on time as expected. Each time I have called customer service my concerns were handled professionally and quickly. This has been so comforting at this critical time of need for us!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

My mom purchased a long term care policy thru her employer 20 years ago. I have the original policy as well as all her payments and correspondence. In September of 2020 she was placed into a Memory Care facility due to dementia. I started the claim process in September and it is February 13, 2021 and Unum has still not honored the contract. I submitted all paperwork plus my DPA. They lost my DPA twice, needed Dr’s orders plus clinical notes twice. Set up Direct Deposit - still not getting correct payments. Her policy is to pay $1000 for 24 months. First payment in January was $560. When asked why, the Benefit Specialist said they didn’t know what licensing her Memory Care had so they were paying a lower rate. After 4 months they didn’t think about that?

About a week later, I received a call stating the full rate was approved. I asked what is the full rate and he reluctantly said $1000. I asked to confirm the length of time and he said, “I don’t have that information “. He calls back a week later and says yes, 24 months. I just got her check for January - it’s for $620. UNUM is a scam. The longer they avoid paying, the greater likelihood she will die and they can keep her benefit. I have never dealt with a more corrupt company. At first I just thought they were incompetent, but I have realized it is a time delay process for them. My mom would have been better off putting her money into a minimum yield investment vehicle. I have spent unknown hours dealing with the company and it is still not honoring its contract! Shame UNUM. You should not be in the marketplace. Preying on the elderly, when they can’t help themselves and need the benefit at the most costly time of their life ($6,600 a month).

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

It literally only pays for the cleaning/check up. It's not worth it. That is fairly inexpensive, anyway, and not worth having insurance for. I had a cracked molar and required a crown. It was the first time I've needed anything more than a filling.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

After years of paying my premium bi-weekly... for over ten years. Then receiving long term benefits after a series of spine surgeries and was determined to be disabled by the surgeons. This company has now decided to ask me for the benefit money back after I began receiving SSDI. They calculated what SS would pay me then adjusted my benefit to under livable wages a month. My calculations have shown that I paid them over a ten year span tens of thousands in premiums and now they are asking that I pay them 10% or four years of what they paid since going out on long term. I have paid them more than twice over in premiums during my employment before retiring with this disability. It’s not fair and I am gonna fight them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I had a total hysterectomy 8 weeks ago & was approved for 3 weeks STD. I called UNUM to ask about claim extension process and what needed to be done. First it was a questionnaire that needed to be filled out by the doctor’s office. Then it was medical records and now it’s a narrative from the doctor. It’s now 8 weeks post op and still have not been made any progress on my claim.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I had an accident that has cost me 1000s. Unum promised reimbursement. They sent me $75 and closed my case. They NEVER responded to my message. The CEO makes over $2 million a year. Not happy with this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I was stuck in limbo because no one reached out to me about needing information. My online account also didn't state that I needed any more paperwork. I was lucky to finally get a hold of someone. You have to keep calling to get answers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

2 STD claims for my back surgeries. After dealing with countless record requests, requests going to the wrong doctor MANY times, VERY late payments such as 8-12 weeks late, sending literally HUNDREDS of pages of records just for them to “need more information”, flooding my doctors office with the physicians statement form DOZENS of times for the same surgery saying they needed more information. Unum is directly responsible for destroying me financially, EVERY payment I received was so late that it set me behind on my bills so bad I’m still trying to get caught back up, months later. Their delays have destroyed my credit scores, my car got repossessed twice because of Unum's late checks. Luckily my bank understood the situation after I told them about my surgeries and dealing with Unum.

I burned all of my savings just to try to keep from losing my house while I waited for a check from them. All the while dealing with customer service reps making “notes” about the urgency of the situation, which they were causing in the first place, and them saying, “Oh I’m sorry”. I would rather go through both back surgeries over again, without anesthesia, than deal with Unum again. Stay very far away from this company, they will bury you in record request, tell you they don’t have enough information, and force you to wait for months to get a payment. You’d be better of begging for change on the corner.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I am a person who has had two STD claims this year. For the first my employer used Cigna and the experience was great. Good service. Accurate accounting and prompt payments. Then my employer switched to UNUM and the experience is 100% the opposite on all counts . My claim rep is one step above moron. Payments are very slow. It is now 12/24 and my last payment was for pay period ending 12/2 even though my claim status is approved thru 12/15. Of the four payments I have received two have been incorrect and needed supplemental payments. Each time requiring me to spend time explaining the error to the claims rep. In frustration I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I could not.

This is the poorest service I have ever received. The kicker is that there is no question about the claim. I had major surgery that required a two week hospital stay. I have given up on them and turned it over to my employers HR staff. I don't know what the savings was for switching but the wasted time trying to deal with claims will clearly off set any savings. Stay away from UNUM!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Customer service is very terrible. Representative doesn’t call back to inform you what’s going on with your claim. Doesn’t care about your needs or concerns. Very poor communication. Been going through with this since 7/29/2020.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I started paying for long term care insurance in 2007 thru my employer. Back then I think it was about $100 per month which covered me and my wife. Well about 6 years ago we got a price increase which amounted to doubling the monthly premium to $200 per month. When questioned they said this was a new insurance market for them and they were starting to realize higher costs now that some folks were using the benefits they paid for much like the current letter with excuses why the increase. Don’t they have actuarial people that know what they are doing? Of course cost will go up as the boomers start needing long term care.

Today 11/01/2020 I got another price increase notice which is another 52% increase to $ 400 per month. I am retired so these increase affect my monthly finances. They stated that because I had the inflation coverage option that is why I was getting the increase because their costs out of pocket are increasing because more people are now using what they paid for. With actuarial numbers they should have expected this kind of activity. This appears to me to be a bait (low ball starting price) and switch (get you hooked like a drug user and invested) so it becomes a more difficult decision to end it. I have over $30,000 invested in this program so it becomes more difficult to walk away from. Had I invested these monthly premiums in the stock market I would have around $100k so that may be a better option for all that are reading this and considering long term care insurance.

So at this rate I guess I can expect and increase (compounding) every three to five years of about 50 %? I see this as get “them hooked early with low rates,” keep increasing the rates until the insured gives up and forfeits all the money they have paid in or forfeit the inflation portion of the policy to not get the increase. Unfortunately my monthly payment without inflation clause would be $4000 to a nursing home which in today’s world averages about $7500 per month so the balance would eat up my hard earned savings over time should I last for a long time in a nursing home. That money needs to go to my kids not the nursing home which is why I bought the policy in the first place.

This company is very disreputable in my opinion. They should be investigated by the insurance bureau of New Jersey for these kinds of increases. They also should hire some professional actuaries so the projections would be more timely and realistic and rates would be more real world...but then they would be so high no one could afford them so this company would not be able to sell anything. See where I am going. I will call them tomorrow to voice my displeasure and find out what my options are. It is no fun being 74 years old. The way we are treated is a crime. Money is truly the root of all evil!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Unum Disability Insurance review. I was approved for LTD. After 5 months Unum reduced my monthly payment by what they estimate social security disability payments could be. This after daily harassment to get me to apply for SS. This policy as well as everybody else's is not worth the paper it is written on. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

My experience with UNUM started when I arranged Critical Illness through my company. 2 months ago I suffered 2 strokes, so when discharged from hospital, contacted my company to make a critical illness claim. The company was UNUM and the doc sent from work confirmed that I was covered for a stroke. I made the claim online. All seemed to be going well. I have now been informed that UNUM have refused my claim because I am a type 1 Diabetic.

I have been a diabetic over 30 years and although in the 1990s car insurance used to discriminate because of diabetes, the law changed and this discrimination was stopped. I only found the full details of the specific related condition exclusions through UNUM after making the claim and being subsequently rejected. It's hard enough living with a chronic medical condition for over 30 year to then suffer 2 strokes, thinking if anything happens my critical illness will help pay the mortgage.

Now I feel cheated, why can a company like UNUM take money from me and refuse to pay when I need them. It didn't state anywhere when joining that specific related condition exclusions would apply. It's worse than online theft, it's legal theft. I don't have a leg to stand on and the complaint to UNUM was not even answered. Please do yourself a favor and avoid UNUM at all cost. They are legitimate scammers. Go find a decent Insurer who doesn't bend the matrix code to cheat its customers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We submitted a claim to them in June and STILL do not have reimbursement. They are giving us such a run around, they are creating so much hassle for our orthodontist's office. They have said they approved the claim, yet we still don't have a check and we still can't get any answers. It takes sometimes weeks to get a response from them. This is so unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

This company has done whatever it takes to deny my claim just to save money. I know we all want to make money but when you do it at the expense of people and their families that makes you very bad people and it’s worse when we have this sickness going on.

Original review: July 31, 2020

We purchased a Long Term Care policy about 18 years ago, and since then Unum has stopped offering these policies. However, they have increased the premiums consistently over the years - about 15% each time. It was last increased 2 years ago, and yesterday we received another notification of a 15% increase. It seems they are trying to get elderly people who've paid thousands of dollars in premiums already, to drop the policies by these ongoing price increases. If First Unum did not plan sufficient reserves to cover the policy costs they should never have gotten into the business. What are actuaries for if not to plan for worst case scenarios and potential cost increases.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My husband was involved in motorcycle accident that had STD through UNUM through a company he has been working for, for 28years. He has never used this benefit unit his accident. He was out of work for 3.5 months and had to use his benefits. UNUM is now REQUIRING us to pay them back 11K from a settlement that we have not received, claiming that we were OVERPAID and we have one month to pay it back! How can we be overpaid when THEY have to approve the claims?!

He has paid into this benefit for many many years and now they want their money back?! How were we to live... How ARE we to live when we don't have the money. Forget that we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC! I would NEVER encourage anyone to use this company. You pay your dues but you will never reap the benefits! The lady that hit my husband did not have enough insurance to even cover the 78K in medical bills from the surgeries. We will never be out from under this accident. Unum is the WORST!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I’ve been paying in to my disability for seven years with the confidence it would be there if I needed it. But Unum practically asks for everything while in recovery. I was in a coma and in a hospital 3 hours from home and the agent was snippy about not filing when I was hospitalized—- I didn’t even know what month it was. I forgot an entire week of my life and went into multi organ failure. They want statements from every single doctor and want to know every test done. The test results alone are 500 pages. I know they aren’t being reviewed by a physician. I got out of the hospital a month ago and they act like I should have returned to work the day after I woke up from a coma when I was still intubated and couldn’t remember my mom’s phone number. Even my supervisors at work don’t expect me back right now.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have to quarantine for 3 weeks, due to Covid-19. I applied for Short-term disability and was told I don't qualify because I am not disabled. I have a letter from the clinic, I was tested at and a letter from the Health department stating I cannot work. This company is a joke.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I was in a car accident in March 13th, a big truck trailer cross the traffic, the driver didn’t see me. I am alive just because God is good and save me. So Unum insurance don’t care about people, they care how don’t pay you and send you quickly to work, I have problems with my low back, upper back, left eye and left leg after car accident, since the first day that they call me their questions it was, when you will start to work.

So they obligate the doctors to tell them when you should come back to work, but if the doctor give you a date to start, and after that you don’t start because you are still sick, you really nightmare start, because they stop paying you, and start to put excuses on you that the doctor said, or you said to does not pay you. And they said that they need reviews my case again, I am going with physical therapist, chiropractor, primary doctor, lawyer, they are asking to everyone if I could work, they receive all papers, then they said they need to review again the documents.

After 8 days, you call and ask why they don’t approve to pay you, and they said they need more about x or y reason, then tell you, oh we didn’t get information from someone, then you go and ask to the doctor, did you send this information the doctor said yes, you call back and state that he sent the information, and they give another excuse, totally that is the way how they work, they could pay you good 6 weeks, but after that get ready to get angry and fight or just stop talking to them because they will ignore anything from the doctor and they will seek for a fail from you or your doctor to don’t pay you.

So please if your company have this short term insurance run away, look and investigate for another kind of insurance that don’t make you live a nightmare, they stop paying me since May 11th, I could not walk very good, I am painfully to walk, lift something, I wish to go to work, because I pay child support, car payments and all the rest of my bills, even the money that they send me those weeks, it wasn’t enough to cover my spend but really if was helping me a little bit, but now I have to deal with all my bills by my own and with my health, it’s a really a nightmare that I am living with all my bills and Unum don’t care about. This my little testimony. So don’t believe what the website says about them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Got short term disability through my employer to have a CS. When I called Unum to find out what I was covered for. They explained I would be covered for 6 weeks with a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks with a CS. They also said there was no elimination period. I was doubtful about the elimination period so I called back a couple weeks later. They confirmed I would have a 2 week elim period but everything else was the same. I had my CS and received my payments after my elim period and thought everything was good. My payments stopped after 4 weeks. I called and the lady said that my policy didn't cover a CS. It just said any labor would cover 6 weeks. I then said, "OK but I've only received 4 payments". She said, "The elimination period counts as 2 payments and those are not paid out." WTF.

I called TWICE to make sure things were set so I'd be ready to be out of work. Now I will not be paid for 4 weeks of what I thought I would. Also, I have never received an email or paperwork outlining my benefits and when I go to my employer it says I have to contact Unum and when I go to their website and sign in the benefits that come up are the general ones 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for CS yet when I question that they say it depends on the employer and the coverage they offer. I will be taking this as high as I can go and possibly get a lawyer if I have to because I am tired of these insurance companies taking advantage of people. Especially when we are at our most vulnerable. Nothing but a bunch of vultures.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Me being on short term disability And this company being in charge of it. Does not do any type of follow up with the doctor when they send paperwork. Nor do they let the client know any information at all. It is asinine and ridiculous.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I filed a short-term disability claim. I have been off work for over a month. The woman who is my case worker or whatever you call her is rude and hateful. They have everything they need. Their allowed amount of days are over and still I haven't heard anything from them! When I call I'm told we have 5 to 7 days. Okay, it's been past that. I'm a single mother and I have bills to pay and food to buy. They never call back or answer emails. They always have some form of excuse as to why they haven't done their job. They haven't even updated my information showing they have my doctor's paperwork, which they have already stated they had. My doctor's office stated they sent it over two weeks ago as well. It is one huge game to these people. We pay in, yet, they do not want to pay us when we become ill or injured.

I have cancer and had to have a bone marrow biopsy last week. A spinal tap this week because my neurologist believes I have MS. I drive a forklift. I have been passing out, can't breathe, have lesions on my brain, and I'm always tired. But some how these people find it okay to play with my life. I have to have my health insurance because I'm very sick. How am I supposed to pay my premiums if they do not pay me. If they do not have my stuff completed today I will be having my lawyer take over from here. I refuse to lose everything due to a company taking my money but refusing to do their job!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Dealing with this company has been an absolute nightmare. I first filed our claim 7 months ago. They kept stalling by asking for more and more and more paperwork. Constant delays. It's now 7 months later and we have not seen one penny yet. The most recent game they played was mailing the first disability check by snail mail instead of direct depositing it like they were supposed to. And to add insult to injury, they debited our checking account for a premium this month that was not supposed to be taken! Ugh! Don't do business with them, unless you have a huge tolerance for BS!

Original review: March 28, 2020

This is the worst company that can possibly exist. When I filed a claim I was jerked around for over 3 months. After the one hour initial phone interview I realized these people were not going to may my claim. They researched and researched for months sending thousands of forms to fill out. Numerous phone calls to the incompetent claim adjuster only to hear her stupid voice monotonously answer "Still waiting for documents". After 3 months to the day they found some some excuse to deny claim. Now it’s up to me to take it to arbitration, but the arbitration is their own company. I think a regulatory agency should investigate this company. It’s shameful that one's legal benefits are denied.

Unum Insurance Company Company Information