Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company

2.7/5 (770 ratings)

About Unum Insurance Company

Unum Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unum Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnumProvident Insurance Company?

Original review: March 28, 2020

This is the worst company that can possibly exist. When I filed a claim I was jerked around for over 3 months. After the one hour initial phone interview I realized these people were not going to may my claim. They researched and researched for months sending thousands of forms to fill out. Numerous phone calls to the incompetent claim adjuster only to hear her stupid voice monotonously answer "Still waiting for documents". After 3 months to the day they found some some excuse to deny claim. Now it’s up to me to take it to arbitration, but the arbitration is their own company. I think a regulatory agency should investigate this company. It’s shameful that one's legal benefits are denied.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

When you see the Unum name run baby run. Worst company ever to deal with. My employer uses them to manage FMLA. Unum tries discourage you from using fmla by having doctors fill out the same form several times. I’m a union rep. Unum denied an employee's fmla because she couldn’t tell them how many days she would miss after chemo!!! We fought. Our employer had it reversed and approved. That’s just one example. If your employer uses them you don’t have a choice. But please don’t purchase on your own. I promise you’ll be sorry!!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My brother opened an insurance policy for his daughter when she was born. He was killed in a car wreck when she was 2 and I was listed on the policy as c/o on account. All thru the duration they would send statements and change of address forms for me to keep her address current in the file. When she turned 18 they had 5 different excuses as to why her money was not available. They are claiming the account is abandoned yet I have a letter confirming removal of block on account. These people are sleazy.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

This company is horrible, from short term to long term claims, it has been a nightmare. I have just been informed that my long term claim is now closed. After a review of my claim, it has been determined that I could do something, anything for work. I paid on this policy through my employer. And now, I've been told by the Vice President, that they have been supporting me for the last two years. No, I paid in, I have supported myself. Please if you see Unum anywhere on your employer's benefits, research before making any decisions. I did call my former employer to give feedback too as well.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Get a lawyer when dealing with this insurance company. They drag their feet, find anything to not pay claims, requires paperwork after paperwork each and every month, week and day. # 1 company in claims denial as per web research, don't recommend this company to be in our best interest.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Costco sent me out on short term disability, which turned into long-term disability. I continued to pay the portion for my health insurance, and then Costco canceled it telling me I could get COBRA. Yes, we all know how cheap that insurance is! It would have taken half my disability payment to cover the insurance! Because I no longer have insurance, I could no longer afford to go see the doctor or get physical therapy! So because I was no longer seeing a physician, UNUM canceled my disability payments! It took having to sue them, but because of the clause that they have in the Costco policy… They can screw people left and right with no repercussions!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

It's unfortunate to leave a negative review but medical records are not reviewed by medical staff. I have a pretty serious medical diagnosis involving my spine, I can not work. With zero support, zero insurance and no access to medical treatment I feel I've been left to die. Appeal after appeal, you wasted two years of my life.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Start off by saying they only get a 1 star because no stars wasn't an option. Now to start off I've worked for my company for 4yrs. All the while I have always had long term benefits and thought I had short term as well however I guess my company never offered it. Fast forward to Nov 2018 I went to a doctor for upper back pain. UPPER BACK. Seen him in Dec of same year too for another check up for same issue. Meanwhile my doc sent me to get full scans of my entire back. Jan of 2019 my work offers Short Term which I elect to get. Go see doc again about the scans who then tells me I do have upper back issues and, "Oh by the way your lower back looks to have problems as well." I continued to tell the docs it's mainly my upper back and only seldom my lower. Now the docs decide my back needs operated on before my upper back issues can be taken care of.

Nov 2019 I finally decide to let them fix my lower back just so they would get over it and try to help me with my upper back. Have surgery, send all my papers to Unum only for them to deny my claim and say it's pre-existing because the doc listed lower back issues in Nov and Dec of 2018 and short term didn't start until Jan 2019. All the while I've always had long term. It's these types of greedy horrible shady companies that screw people over that has a wife and 4 kids to support but had to have surgery and had to be off work. So now, just 5 weeks post op I'll probably be going back to work 2 months early just so I can provide for my family. Thank You Unum. My family and I greatly appreciate your loyalty and understanding people's needs that's going thru the roughest time of their life.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

It has been 5 1/2 weeks for a simple short term disability claim and I still don't have a resolution. In fact, a supervisor just lied to me claiming they haven't received the necessary medical records from the hospital to complete the claim. I then provided her with tracking information to show it was received. I also informed her that someone from her office called the hospital yesterday to get the password necessary to open the records provided on a CD. Furthermore, she couldn't even provide me with a proper timeline for resolution. What a completely WORTHLESS company. Nothing gets done unless you force them to do their job by babysitting them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I have had a Unum Critical Care Policy for over 10 years. I obtained the policy because of my spouse’s family history Of multiple cancers. My husband developed non alcoholic SteatoHepatitis that has turned into cirrhosis. He is now in MAJOR ORGAN FAILURE OF THE LIVER which is one of the organs covered on the policy. His condition has rapidly declined and they are refusing payment because he is too sick for transplant.

In the information I received, the paperwork said proof of organ failure, such as UNOS listing for transplant or in the event of his death from organ failure. I told the representative he has been denied transplant. The representative said we need proof that he is in organ failure. Our Hepatologist sent that proof along with the reason for denial of transplant. Now they are saying they only pay claims when patient was listed for transplant or dies while on the transplant list. They said I have a right to appeal the decision. I’m waiting on a copy of my policy to see what I’m actually appealing. Appeals can be faxed but not emailed. There is no access to policy online. Request for emailed copy of policy will take 3 business days. Workers call back but don’t leave messages if you're working. Asking for a priority callback means waiting a week.

Starting my FMLA claim through unum was a nightmare. Turned firm because he wasn’t sick enough, only approved after he was hospitalized in ICU. Online policy says I have 300+ hours available of FMLA, when I called for another item they said my FMLA claim had expired 2 weeks prior. The company is very fortunate to have heartless, ruthless, creative employees that I’m sure save the company a lot of money. Reading the reviews here in addition to my own experiences, I think the critical care Policy is a complete waste of money. I am contacting my attorney. I hope that helps.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Give me Denplan any day, they have a courteous, efficient, service team. I have purchased Unum through work, so, unfortunately, Denplan was not on offer, as my company uses Unum. Unum has got to be the slowest dental claim service EVER! I wish that they were more friendly and not so dismissive.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

UNUM and it manipulated relationship with doctors. Doctors don't have is (Extra Time) to deal with UNUM. At a work event Smashed my shoulder, tore my Ligaments clear of my AC joint, completely floating, collarbone, broke loose at joint and pushing skin up an inch above my shoulder. ER offered no surgery/ repair option. Four surgeons offered no solution or option, including Mayo clinic in Rochester, Mn. My GP kept sending me to therapy and pain clinics.

After a year I gave up on a realistic repair to shoulder. The opportunity had passed. It seems if you're above a certain age, or not working in the occupation of heavy labor, they don’t offer a surgery option at the ER. I was just a revolving cash cow for UnityPoint hospitals and clinics..UNUM is vigorous demanding from updates from doctors. Then UNUM wiggled me off my life insurance policy stating I was not getting enough doctor updates and canceled the policy...then came the MORE Demands and more pressure on my doctors. Requiring excessive time filling out uniforms and answering phone calls. Then Unum hires the IME (independent medical examiner) to make a report, a report based on reading UNUM's excessive 1200 page patient report.

IME does a cheap bone Xray (not proper test to show tissue damage), and a physical exam that is tainted by UNUM's 1200 page opinion report.. The IME has a cut and paste exam procedure and overlooks obvious pain and restrictions. In fact IME blamed me of being over sensitive and faking my inabilities. In the IME’s report my hands looked excellent and had fine working motor skills. In reality, I refused to offer the doctor hand as my right index finger was lacerated the week before, still full of sutures. I was also accused of being overweight and not cooperating. It was obvious I was judged as a healthy person trying to abuse UNUM benefits.

Unum had stopped/throttled payments off and on before, pressuring me for more documentation from doctors. Then they denied coverage completely and stooped payments. My GP relationship was compromised and GP didn’t want to do any more UNUM paperwork. Now I wasting time and money. Lost job and no income for over a year... The stress was insane. Then I had a widowmaker heart attack! Fire department brought me back with a defibrillator.I decided to look into the UNUM appeal process and called a few disability insurance lawyers. Lawyers were to receive 40-60 percent of continued unum payments if they win appeal.
Leftover payments Left me in federal poverty rate and unable to pay for medical insurance.
So I went through the UNUM 1200 pages myself and added discrepancies and bias situations and sent to file a UNUM appeal a few weeks ago.
At this point I just want the stress gone.
If by chance I win the appeal I still have to live with pain and dysfunctional shoulder.

I’ve completely lost trust in my GP, UNUM, and Doctors riding the shirt tails of insurance companies. I hope I live long enough to find help for others living this Hell..

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This is going to be short and sweet, I have been wait for benefits since 03/11/2019 and have received $0 to date. I had major left hip surgery and I’m going in for my right hip. It’s now November of 2019. I think I’ll be dead by the time I see any compensation. I think you need three signed affidavits by the Father, Son and Holy Ghost before they will pay up. How much more disabled do you need to be when you had a your hip reconstructed? Maybe if I detach my leg and bring it to the claims adjuster they will cut me a check cut me a check. Jesus Christ!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

While Driving a City Bus in Vancouver Washington State USA - in 2019- I developed an Occupational Disease - from Diesel Exhaust Fumes and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work - due to Defective Cummins 6.7 liter Engines, and the Lack of Maintenance -procedures at C-Tran; Because the Head Bolts would loosen up due to extreme heat, then the cylinder heads would warp, while spewing toxic gas mixed with ammonia head cleaner solutions, def fluid, then it would travel into the cab of the bus for all to inhale, while there are no carbon monoxide detectors in the bus then and even now after my permanent disability.) UNUM insurance company has made me wait over 75 Days for a yes or no decision, and I have already been off work almost eight months.)

Washington state Labor and industries has denied (4) emergency room claims and I have had to appeal all four claims while I tested above normal all (4) times for (Carbon Monoxide Blood Levels) - 1.9%, 6.1%, 2.5%, 2.8% and all four times (normal is 1.8 % for me) the Peace Health Emergency rooms have you wait 2-3 hours before they take the blood for the carbon monoxide tests. (the tests were all in a 3-week period in March) 2019 after work, for gases so by then the Levels go down - while benefiting the employer and Labor and industries to show lower than actual at work while driving Carbon Monoxide Levels, (so like the employer says get up you're not hurt), while appealing my Brain, Balance, speech, & headaches injuries twice in the last 8 months - with the Board of Industrial insurance in Washington state.

These Insurance companies, and State run workers compensation agencies, are all Poorly run Enterprises- they all sleep together and they all want some other agency to pay for your injuries, and since this was an on the job injury, no one is responsible and in Washington state you can't sue your employer for an (on the job injury) unless it is intentional - so the state inspectors (DOSH) did not fine C-Tran for poisoning the (2) Drivers including myself and other customers on the Defective buses. They just wrote them a ) zero dollar amount citation for not Training the bus drivers properly on what the side effects of breathing toxic fumes feels like LOL, or how it feels driving a bus and poisoning everyone in the bus and on the road with its toxic gases).

These Agencies and Insurance companies all wait as long as they can to see if you will forget how they injured you or see if you die and have no relatives who complain of your death or injuries, while all the poisoning, all the defective buses, and all the denied claims are paid by the tax payers in this country, and then the workers are injured due to horrible safety Practices, then swept under the carpet by our Beautiful - Elected Officials in the State Congress.

Then they appoint their friends to Agencies like the Board of industrial appeals, and Washington state workers compensation Agency, or the Washington State Human Rights Commission - and in turn those appointed People in those agencies to keep their jobs are Paid to Deny all Claims, and wait for the injured to die, or have another Agency, Insurance Company, or Family Member pay the bills all the while the Responsible Government Employers, Pay nothing to the Injured Workers then take your tax money and buy more Defective Buses, and Machinery from Businesses with Huge Government contracts, while UNUM is Sucking an Estimated $15,000.00 Thousand dollars a month from Clark County Public Transportation Benefit Area, while the Employees have to Beg for insurance benefits that have been paid for since 2002.

It's your money for the buses, the Cummins engines, the UNUM insurance payments to the employer, to the human rights commission, the Wa. state DOSH inspectors, and the WA. State Labor and Industries Agency. When will there be some good protection for our workers, without having to pay a $20,000 dollar retainer for someone to help? This is my opinion: and a (a factual story). If anyone needs more facts to back up my story call Washington State Labor and Industries - or UNUM Insurance company- or e mail me at **. Remember before you give anyone any money, ask yourself can I do more good with this Tax money than the Agency it is going to?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Hi, I've access to Unum through my company and have to chase multiple times to get a reimbursement. For the last one I did not any reimbursement even after chasing multiple times. Would recommend to avoid at all costs.

Kind regards

Alex

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Their web site is always down and I can never actually get anyone on the phone in a reasonable time.. I've been trying to apply for FMLA leave but can't even get it started. For being a Fortune 500 company they really need to fix their web site. It is down every single time, every single day I try to log it.. What a worthless company.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I was diagnosed with Stage 3C ovarian cancer last year. After completing chemotherapy I am having some serious long term side effects. Statistics say there is an 85% chance the cancer will return. I have a pending follow up CT to evaluate an enlarged lymph node. I paid on this long term disability for 20 years. After 3 or 4 payments they have been trying to close my case.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

If you have long term disability for a condition that they approved you on watch out. They will disapprove it fast. They get bonuses for dumping claims and lie on their charts making up fabricated lies as they go. I just attorney Up and am going to take them to federal court. Lawyer says open and shut case and they do this behavior to everyone. It’s their practice.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been out of work since 9/10/2019 due to chronic fibromyalgia, migraines, anxiety, disk degenerative disease, loose stools, spinal stenosis, spondylosis, scoliosis and a large mass that was found in chest. I am in constant pain and I work for Providence Northeast Columbia SC. So Unum has constantly strung me on, every time my physicians fill out or submit supporting detailed and accurate paperwork they would ask for something else to be done. They even had me to complete a questionnaire form as well as my physicians to verify that I had not been seen 4/2019-6/2019 however they tried to find out anything on me to prevent them from having to pay me while I am out of work. However I was told by Sabrina at Unum that if this was a previous diagnosis that they would only pay me for 4 weeks instead of for the entire time I would be out from work.

My physician I see for my fibromyalgia wrote me out and said with a return date of 10/30/2019 however that would depend on treatment plan as well as Endocrinologist that I will be seeing for the large chest mass that was an"accidental finding" because the MRI I had done was on my neck and back. I will also be seeing a Neurologist for the severe migraines I have. On 9/30/2019 Sabrina sent out another form (physician statement) needing to be completed by my physician (Rheumatologist) with a deadline of 11/9/2019.

On 10/2/2019 I was told by Sabrina (Claims Representative @Unum) that my claim had been denied and that she had 2 nurses and her boss to look at my paperwork but it was denied because the initial Dr. (neurologist Surgeon) that took me out of work said that I could return on 9/23/2019 however I explained to Sabrina I only saw him to rule out surgery wasn't what I needed. However my rheumatologist that I see for my fibromyalgia wrote me out from 9/24/2019 till 10/30/2019 depending upon treatment plan and two addt'l consults that I will be having. However if I went back to work she, (my dr) listed several restrictions such as no heavy lifting greater than 15lbs, no repetitive bending nor stooping, no standing greater than 3 hours per day.

Unum made an ignorant decision not to pay me for a benefit that I pay for out of my check when I was able to work. It's a shame to be ill and stressed due to no income and to know that you took out STD and LTD during open enrollment. Going thru what I have went thru with UNUM was terrible. Ever since I spoke with Sabrina on 10/2 @ 2:30p I can't stop thinking about my denial and to know I work for a hospital that doesn't care about their employees to invest in another company to take over STD and LTD saddens my heart. Providence and others hired a company (UNUM) that is ripping off employees and Unum I'm sure is happy because it's free money in their pockets and probably even getting kickbacks for the end of the year bonuses and etc because they are I'm quite sure of are under the amount of claims they process vs deny.

I hope that Unum gets exposed for what they are doing to people and when you are sick and going through being denied of your benefits is the last thing you want to here ESPECIALLY when you pay for your benefits and it isn't company paid. Forms after forms and some I had to pay to get filled out as well as go sit at the Dr's office until it was faxed in. Although I am sick I did everything I could responsibly to make this process smooth by making calls and going to the physician office until the fax were recv'd. Little did Unum know I had a copy of all my records even information they requested which is how I caught Sabrina in a lie that she tried to say about one of my physcians, now had I not had my records and copies of forms I may have believed her but I thank God he gave me common sense and that I had my copies for my own records.

Another thought. Why were nurses looking at my file at Unum to determine if I was disabled or not, and in what century is a nurse degree higher than a physician? My point is dr. to dr would have not denied my claim and the two nurses that work with Sabrina that decided on my denial along with her manager must be from or on another planet that their credentials is higher than my physician to determine what is disabling or not. The facts, the evidence were there but UNUM just didn't want to pay me for what I have paid on every paycheck. I would rate them -0.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have had a claim open since February for income protection which they continually refuse to payout against. I suffer from crippling anxiety and depression which they refuse to acknowledge despite tons of medical evidence. This company create more stress and upset. Horrible to deal with. Lousy company with no ethics whatsoever.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I get 1 tooth implant and I'm told since they review my entire dental history I'm not covered for anything. I'm 65 yrs old, she asked me if I have any crowns? How many teeth are missing, how many cavities I've had my entire life. What do crowns, cavities or missing teeth have to do with an implant? Beyond believable, hands down worst coverage I've ever had. Not to mention it took 5 months to deny my claim, said they were busy, well who isn't busy. Truth was they are too busy denying claims and giving dental professionals the run around asking question that they already have documentation on. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

They did have me examine. Did look at any test or blood work and created a narrative that they say trumps all actual medical evidence! They bully. Don't call back and change agents without notification and then are then off on vacation and cannot be reached! No ethics at this place!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I will write this about me but I am only one person in thousands or maybe millions. Millions is more likely since this includes people from all over the world. I have always been a hard working person and picking a career as an auto technician and working hard to advance thru the years to the highest level as a Toyota Technician should prove this fact. I want you all to know this because I am a taxpayer, voter, father, husband, brother, and law abiding citizen. Here is my story. Seven years ago while I was at work, I fell down. I started dropping things from my hands. I noticed that I was gradually losing strength. I wasn't myself anymore, and slowly losing the ability to do my job. I was paid on a commission type basis. So if I couldn't work as hard and fast as usual then my pay amount dropped. I fault for a few more years as I struggled to continue.

Of course I had medical insurance, short term disability, long-term, and death insurance. I have paid for these policies for over 30 years. About four years ago, I had to leave my job due to illness and it was really becoming unsafe for myself to even be in a shop. During these years I have seen a handful of Doctors that struggled with diagnosing my issues. A clear diagnosis was uncertain and Unum insurance company demanded one. But what these doctors did agree on was that I was disabled and continuing to get worse. I was unable to continue to perform a mechanic’s job by far and the doctors noted this in their records. I was eventually Diagnosed after years and multiple doctor visits, I even took a plane to Rochester, Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion. I am now considered a patient there also.

I hope you are still reading along and I'm not boring you so far. Well, I find this very hard to say, but I have ALS disease. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease. As you most likely know, My days are numbered and there's No sunshine at the end of my rainbow. But this is not a pity party about me. My whole life was about providing for my loved ones. I am so saddened that I feel that I let everyone down because now they provide for me. This was not in my game plan. I had UNUM insurance whom has worked overtime on denying my claim. They ignored my doctors’ opinions and records, they went way low on my estimated yearly salary, and they prolonged any judgment about me collecting any funds. Which also cost me my savings. They flooded my doctors’ offices with letters and ringing phone calls for info that they could use against me.

I had one doctor out of about 7 that I have seen in the very early stages of this disease that I had seen while I was still working that told UNUM that she didn't feel that I was disabled. I wasn't far enough along to confirm any diagnosis. She also didn't care to research my illness. So I fired her. Unum used her records as their source to refuse my situation. I had to sue UNUM. My attorney told me that I couldn't sue for damages because Congress passed a law that prevented these types of lawsuits. Unum caused me so much stress that my health was really taking a hit. The attorney said that due to a bill that Congress passed stated that I can only sue Unum to force them to honor the policy that they sold me. This means that Unum has no recoil to deny claimant claims. So they Steal and rob from their customers constantly everyday.

This attorney was going to take benefit money's from me that was rightfully mine. This attorney recently dropped my case. He said that there's just not enough money in it to fight them any further. Unum gets to deny me, keep their money. I get NOTHING.... My family gets NOTHING. When I die and I will, There's NO insurance money to help them that I paid for for so many years. I now live on my wife's income. She works over-time everyday. My mother died about nine years ago and left me about 100k dollars that I put in saving, it's all gone now, spent on bills. We have been searching our home for stuff to sell. I live in Spring Texas in a nice 250k house that we have called home for so many years that is now going up for sale. I was denied Social Security benefits also as a normal thing that I have been told.

My attorney has dropped appealing this also. I guess what I am trying to tell you is that, I understand that people shouldn't be able to sue insurance companies for millions of dollars or for profit. But if there's a law that states that a person can sue an insurance company for POOR FAITH (If Proven) for five times the benefit amount, then these insurance companies wouldn't mess us over so badly. Just maybe they would be forced to take care of all the others that are legitimately disabled like they promise to do so in their policies that they sell us. I have read so many other people's comments about what Unum has done to them. I even read one about an ex-employee of Unum getting messed over by them. This is a crime or should be.

I wish you all good health now and in the future. And I pray to GOD that you never get sick or have Unum insurance or any other insurance company that is in business to steal from us. Don't ever put yourselves in our positions. Thank You for reading my story. My wishes is for everyone to take notice of this and copy and paste it. then send it to anyone and everyone on the internet, Government offices, State Reps, etc. We the people need help Badly. I hope that I'm still around to see change in this. Thanks Again, Wade.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I had a heart attack in September 2018 and was released and readmitted a few days later into intensive care for what my Doctor said that she believed was a stroke that took my hearing and I was in ICU for 2 weeks and when they took me out of the ICU I could not hear anything and to this day I am Deaf so we filed the claims with Unum for Heart Attack and a stroke which both was declined so I appealed it and started dealing with Teresa ** Lead Appeals Specialist and she had me going back and forth to the Dr.Office and faxing paperwork to her and my Primary care Dr. filled out all the paperwork and wrote a letter saying that she believed I had suffered a stroke that left me Deaf and they declined that one again and the Heart Attack so she told me when I get the denial letter to take it to the Cardiologist and they would give me the documents needed to support the heart attack so I did and faxed them over to her and 3 days later I called her to follow up and she informed me we still didn't have the supportive documents that was needed so I went back to my Cardiologist and told them she says we didn't have enough supportive documents to prove a heart attack.

Well by this time they were getting fed up also so she told me to have the Dr office call her and she would tell them what she needed so I did and I contacted Mrs.** a few days later and was talking with her and she said it clearly shows that I had the heart attack but we still did not have enough supportive documents so the Dr called her again and I followed up again today to find out that I was declined again and she mailed the letters yesterday and when I received them to take them back to the Cardiologist and maybe they could figure out what supportive documents she needed to pay my claim but the funniest part about this was when my Dr. made the comment you must be dealing with Unum and he said we have went around and around with them every time a patient tries to claim the benefits.

Now this is something I had not even opened the page on Unum until today and sure enough I started reading the reviews and everyone had went around and around with them but you know I never complained when they were removing the money out of each of my paychecks but it seems like when you need them it's impossible. I asked Mrs.** today if I needed to get an attorney to help me get what they owe me and she said that was up to me and when I get the letter to take it down to my Cardiologist and let them read it because my EKG numbers didn't support a heart attack and that's when I told her my aunt went to the ER and they ran the EKG and said nothing was showing and the next day she was having triple bypass.

This is just a way to get out of paying what they owe the insured. I could understand if I was just laying around drawing SSI and Disability but that's not the case. I want to go back to work because I like my job and fellow employees which before this I always highly recommended that the employees look at the coverages and to remember you can never have too much insurance but after dealing with this I promise I will share my experience with all the other managers when it's time to decide who we will be spending our money on. Just Beware of UNUM. They don't want to pay and they will run you around until you get fed up and quit. That's what they want you to do so make sure you read the reviews before signing your name to anything.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I am currently approved with Unum long-term disability. However, it was not easy. I currently have multiple sclerosis and while many people are able to work for many years after diagnosis, I ended up with multiple problems and diagnoses concurrently. I had a fall that resulted in a spinal cord injury and neck surgery that was critical. A few months later I ended up in the hospital with autoimmune pancreatitis and Crohn’s disease. I have now had many rheumatology positive testing which could possibly be lupus or something else but either way is definitely rheumatology. Unfortunately, all this runs in the family and I just happened to get all of it not just one or the other. Because I am 38 years old and I look very well and healthy they constantly bother me.

I have had surveillance multiple times and caught them. I have already been approved by the state for Social Security disability. But either way my disability insurance with Unum is for my own occupation which they refuse to release me to because I was a nurse practitioner and they say that I am a liability in danger to others meaning I could hurt a patient more than take care of them. Just for your information that was devastating to me and I was not expecting that to ever happen. I expected to work part time or maybe be told I couldn’t work night shift but never that they would never release me to work again as a nurse practitioner. I find it in saying that these people will do anything to make you feel like you’re doing something wrong and you actually don’t want to work.

I was living the high life with my family and had just bought my 5000 square-foot home moved my family to an upscale neighborhood and school system for all this to happen. I had nine months worth of living saved up which doesn’t matter at all if you lose it all while waiting for insurance and making a hell of a lot less than what you’re used to. However I will continue to fight them just because they are so shady. One of the surveillance tactics was a friend posted a picture of us at a restaurant when I had lunch with her and he found me that way and hung out of his truck at a stoplight to take a picture of me driving for some strange reason. I never said I couldn’t drive.

Another one was a white small car that had letters or decal letters with three numbers a-in the word news acted like they were a news company who followed me all the way from my neighborhood all the way to my son's football game. I am very thankful that I have a consultant name Linda and her last name is ** Who helps me deal with this horrible company and gives me a lot of comfort. You should look up her blog. The bottom line is you either hope to make it long enough that it won’t matter when they find A way to terminate your claim or they finally give you a settlement which I have been praying every day for so I can get rid of them. If you look her up she will help manage your claim and give you peace of mind.

Disability means if you were to work would it put you down where you couldn’t function in life? It does not mean that you can’t function at all or live a life. My last relapse was the entire month of March and April almost in. There is not a single job in this world that would be understanding and not fire me had I been working. Don’t give into this company. Pay the money and get the consultant that I recommended and do everything you can to fight for your life because that’s what I do for myself because of my husband and my three children that are my world and I can guarantee you that my future of being in a wheelchair which I’ve already been told is not something I asked for so I couldn’t work.

I would much rather be working than knowing that my future is doomed to being in a wheelchair and losing sensation and doing all the things I thought I would do when I retired. I will not let this company get me down and I will do everything I can to enjoy the life I can while I can with my husband and my children and hope that we can make it as long as we can with this horrible company that only wants to destroy. I will not let this company get me down and I will do everything I can to enjoy life I can while I can with my husband and my children and hope that we can make it as long as we can with this horrible company that only wants to destroy people and families. People and families.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I was involved in a automobile accident in 2015 which resulted in me having a broke neck. Filed my claim through my employer short term disability company which happened to be Unum. After weeks of going back and forth sending them Every form they needed or I thought so they always needed something else. What a miserable process. I finally got to the point of total frustration and told them just to forget it. I was tired of constantly faxing everything they already had twice. I told them by the time they approved the claim my neck would be Healed and they would not have to pay a thing. Which I think was their goal anyway but after a long, long, long wait I got a check. This lasted to the end of January 2016. I went back to work in February.

Now it July 2019 and I receive a letter from unum stating they overpaid me 3,142 dollars. Really it took them over three years to figure this out or they are in need of money. They state they must receive this money back or they will take legal action. Well, well I guess they think I am just going to cave and pay them something I do not owe them. They are dead wrong. I will be suing them for harassment.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My mother has a long term care policy through Unum and has terminal brain cancer. We thought it might be time to use the policy that my mother has been paying on for 13 years. We have filed the claim 60 days ago and have still not received approval on the claim. They have received doctors' notes and then told we need to get them some more doctor notes. I have contacted doctors to get the information Unum says they need. I'm not sure what part of incurable brain cancer might need more explanation. Very frustrated with this company and would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Injured at work in December. Go to the doctor the next day then several follow up visits. Determined it was a torn rotator cuff and sent to a specialist. Turn in the paperwork for Unum to say they only pay for 2 follow up visits even though it was 2 totally different doctors. Orthopedic doctor does injections. When they don’t deliver results he sent me to physical therapy. So I call and ask if they are going to pay off anything else. Was told to send in the paperwork which I did. Then it gets reject due to the physical therapy did not start within 90 days of the injury.

I as the patient did not determine the treatment to be used or the timeframe. Called and was told to file an appeal. I ask if it would be an independent company reviewing the appeal. Was told no. They do that internally which we all know they would never find in the patient's favor. When I ask if they would prefer to have an attorney involved was blown off like they could care less. If you have this insurance just take the premium money and put it in an account. You’ll be much better off.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Had foot surgery on April 29th. Doctor sent over appropriate UNUM paperwork stating that I would have to be off my foot for 10-12 weeks. Which getting to this point was a challenge in its own right. It has been a total struggle to say the least. They only approved me for the first 4 weeks and from that point the struggle gets worse. Had to jump through hoops every week to get approved week by week. And the 3rd to last week I only received a small portion of my funds. Which happened again on the 2nd to last payment. Which the remaining funds at this time are up in the air. At the end of the day this company will definitely make you work endlessly to get the funds you’ve been paying for out of your check every week. Customer service is lacking and the UNUM portal lacks up to date info. I’m hoping my employer will be looking for another secondary insurance company after this is all said and done....

Original review: June 23, 2019

I've had Unum for years through my job. They approved me for STD for my neck and back problems. I need surgery in my neck and back. I'm in severe pain everyday. I've been diagnosed as permanent stationary with my injuries. I've been instructed to not lift anything! After my STD ended, I attempted 2x to apply for LTD. My Doctor's support my 110%. But Unum has denied me twice stating I have nothing wrong with me and I can go lift 50lbs and go back to work. MRI's don't lie! But Unum does. My orthopedist is disgusted that Unum claims nothing is wrong with me. Unum has changed my diagnosis. Unum has never met me or have done their own exam on me. I have severe spinal stenosis, Degenerative disc disease from neck to lower back, herniated disc with 2 MRI's showing it has gotten bigger, nerve displacement.

Unum are crooks! I'm in appeal but expect it to get denied again. This has been going on for 6 months. I already consulted with an attorney who has already sued Unum and won. I requested my file from Unum. After reading it I want to vomit. They assume everyone is liars. I have to wait for my appeal decision, if denied my attorney is going after them. BEWARE of this company. They are not on your side!!!

Unum Insurance Company Company Information