Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

UnitedHealthcare Vision Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

This company is a joke - from the providers in the network to their claims process out of network. Good luck getting reimbursed - and if you do, it won't be anywhere near your QUALIFIED expenses. Hard to imagine how there are people left who haven't heard about this "insurance". Nothing insurance about them - they take your premiums and keep them, deny your claim, then make you write a letter (in 2020?) that they will ignore and deny your claim again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I have never experienced such poor customer service as I have with UHC Vision. I have been trying to receive a check from my claim since September 6th. Numerous phone calls, 2 checks, and almost 3 months later the only thing I'm being told is what "I" can do. Their process is their process and there is no deviating from it regardless of the issue with it. It's my money so it's my problem evidently and I will just need to figure something out.

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I was told by Spectera (United Health Care vision) that I could go to Kings Highway vision center to get full service. When I went there and got my exam I was then told that they were a General Vision Store and could not provide full service and would refund me the $10 copay I paid for the exam. I called Spectera regarding this issue and spoke to someone name Justin who I explained the issues and he provided me with another place to go and I had similar problems. I had the same issue again despite speaking to Justin a representative of Spectera who assured me that the 2nd vision center he recommended is in network and provides full service.

I then spoke to a woman name Susan and informed her as well regarding my issues. I also asked her to confirm that Kings Highway Vision did not charge me or refunded my account for the exam charge. I was assured that I was not charged and was told I was entitled to an exam and contact lens or glasses and should call Ultimate vision care to receive my exam and lenses. I am now being told that the Kings Highway Vision center billed Spectera later on despite saying they did not provide full service. Spectera then informed me that they would not cover the Ultimate Vision care exam that I received despite the fact that their employee informed me that I was entitled to an exam and lenses or glasses.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have this insurance through my company. I have spent over 2 hours, during business hours, trying on the website and making calls to get an annual eye exam. VSP was much better. Here is what the nearby providers have said when I called: never heard of those two doctors or UHC; not accepting new appointments, we sell glasses but don't perform exams. Other providers were not on Yelp or had terrible reviews. I might skip this year's exam and wait till my new insurance kicks in at my new company. My conclusion: UnitedHealthCare Vision is not worth the premiums.

Original review: July 6, 2019

They refuse to pay for eye exam until my medical denies the claim. My medical has a supplementary discount, but it's not the same as actual vision insurance. They should pay for my eye exam, otherwise, what am I paying them so much for? Now I have to fill out a direct reimbursement form to my medical and I even need the eye doctor's state license and signature so who knows how long that would take. It's completely ridiculous that they won't pay for my eye exam so I'm switching as soon as I can. Nobody should have to deal with this ridiculousness and amount of frustration.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UnitedHealthcare Vision Insurance?

Original review: March 13, 2019

Last year, I received an ad in the mail saying that United Health Care AARP Medicare Advantage was coming to Maui and Lanai. At the time I had Humana and was very unhappy with them, so I looked into the AARP plan and it seemed like a good deal. One of the highlights for me, since I am relatively healthy, was the vision coverage, which listed a dozen participating providers and a "0 copay on one pair of lenses and frames every two years."

Well, I made an appointment with one of the in-network doctors listed on the website for an eye exam. Waited two weeks for an appointment, and when I got there they told me they didn't contract with "Spectera." I told them I didn't have Spectera, I had AARP Medicare PPO. They said I was wrong. Long story short, three hours of phone calls later I discovered that I do have Spectera, and not one optometrist on the island of Maui contracts with them. The UHC rep did give me one name, located 40 minutes away. But when I called to schedule an appointment they told me they only accept Spectera for glasses or contacts... Not the exam. AND the "0 copay every two years" is total fiction. Spectera pays no more than $70 towards any and all eyewear. Even the UHC representative couldn't explain why the plan materials say that when it is patently untrue.

I think UHC should be held accountable for listing dozens of in-network providers on their website who actually do not accept their insurance. It's not just misleading... In my opinion it's fraud. Suppose I had gone ahead and gotten the exam? I would have been stuck with the bill because I relied on the information they provided. And I'm quite certain UHC's response would have been "too bad so sad." I've made an appointment at Costco for an eye exam and will pay out of pocket. Meanwhile, I will file a complaint with CMS about how UHC misled me and thousands of other Medicare recipients about their coverage.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

After five days of repeatedly calling UHC for an explanation on why no pharmacies within 50 miles of New York City were in network, I reached a man in the prescriptions department who refused to help me because I said the f-word after continuously being denied coverage for my medication. He then transferred me back to the department I’ve been dealing with for 5 days that refused to help me. I assume this guy goes by Chad and thinks mayonnaise is spicy. Don’t work in healthcare if people’s emotions and the words they use to convey them offend you, bro. This is my health and well being you’re dealing with, not me calling Neiman Marcus demanding another refund on an argyle cardigan.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

The Missouri Medicaid Director, in an effort to save money for the state, decided in 2017 to farm out vision services to three companies: Home State Health, UnitedHealthCare and March Vision. Although the patient's ID card clearly says UnitedHealthCare, they will deny the claim, saying it must first be sent to Aetna, who will then also deny it, then that EOB denial must be sent to March Vision in California to have any hope of paying (less the $2.00 charge for paper claims). March Vision will NOT send EOBs. You must call them and hope to get a supervisor to answer any questions on claim status and even then you may get a wrong answer. First claim took six months, four phone calls and three mailings to get paid $40. Second claim is going on four months so far, three phone calls and four mailings. I will never accept any of these insurance companies as payment again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Spoke to someone named Jean about conflicting coverage and wanted to verify the coverage I was using was still valid (issues with my company paying for it). When I input my subscriber ID number, the automated phone computer told me it wasn't found, so of course I asked the live rep if the account was still current. She gave me a snarky response and said she was able to pull it up but didn't specifically say yes or no. When I asked another question about calendar year coverage vs. employee fiscal year, her answer was still equally ambiguous, and when I asked to clarify, I was again given attitude again. I asked her to hang up so I can take the survey at the end, which is my right due to poor customer service, and she just stayed not the line for several minutes, refusing the hang up! I've encountered bad customer service, but this woman is a piece of work! Should be fired or at least reprimanded.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My provider discontinued using UHC/Spectera because of reimbursement problems & now use them as out-of-network. Sent bill/receipt for exam of $40 to PO Box 30549 & received reimbursement. Sent receipt for eyeglasses to same PO Box on 2/12/18; followed up on 3/15/18 w/ Alan & told could not find anything in the system, so just wait. On 3/23/18 w/ Nancy who couldn't find anything yet in system; asked what address it was sent to & was told I used the wrong PO Box. Gave me PO Box 30978; resent the info that day. Can't understand why there would have been response & a check for the first claim & the second claim would be the "wrong PO Box"???

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

UnitedHealthcare Vision Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare, a top insurer in the United States, offers stand-alone vision insurance or as a “rider” to a United Healthcare dental plan. (Not all vision plans are available in all states.)

• Plan options: UnitedHealthcare Vision offers a Plan A for glasses and contact lenses, or a Plan B for glasses and contact lenses.

• Providers: Consumers with UnitedHealthcare can choose from a national network of eye doctors and eyewear retailers.

• No waiting periods: Coverage kicks in within hours or days of premium payment.

• Vision Benefit Rider: For an additional premium payment, dental plan members can add vision coverage to boost the value of their dental plan.

• Best for: Individuals, families and employees in search of stand-alone vision coverage or looking to add vision coverage to an in-force United Healthcare dental policy.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

UnitedHealthcare Vision Insurance Company Information