2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

3.2/5 (54 ratings)

About Travel Insured

Travel Insured Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Insured?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Insured?

Original review: June 21, 2021

Below is part of my recent email to the company. They responded that they understood my frustration, but that what they require is “standard” for all insurance companies. I have not attempted to verify this, but it is clear to me that they were truly interested in discouraging valid claims, rather than preventing fraud. They were asking for a long list of documents from various sources, many of which were not relevant or necessary to our case because it was a COVID cancellation beyond our control. Not worth the money and definitely not worth the hassle!

Your company has made this into such an unnecessary hassle by requiring so much documentation. This school trip was cancelled due to COVID. There is no way anyone could have gone, and some of the paperwork you are asking for we never had in the first place, such as an itinerary, because the trip was cancelled before we got it. I don’t even know how an itinerary would be relevant when the entire trip was cancelled for everyone at the school. We purchased this policy directly through the travel website, so we were not expecting to have to work so hard to get our money back. This may have been company policy and fairly typical of an insurance company, but it was an incredibly poor way to treat your customers during COVID.

In your email you ask for extra time for claims due to higher volume due to COVID. A year and three months later seems like a long time to still be milking that excuse—but do you not realize that things were also harder and more complicated for the families who needed to file those claims? It was a terribly stressful time for us, and we just couldn’t handle the paperwork scavenger hunt you sent us on. The ethical, kind choice would have been for your company to consider the incredible stress almost everyone was under, and take steps to NOT overwhelm your customers with excessive paperwork that you must have known was going to be difficult to gather. You obviously decided to go a different direction.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I'm giving one star for this review because the site did not give me the option to give no stars. I paid almost $800 for a Travel Insured (out of Glastonbury, CT) for a trip to Europe. I filed my claim (relating to COVID of course) in April 2020 and I am still waiting for resolution. If I had only looked here before engaging them... Like most of the other reviews I've read about Travel Insured, they have asked for the same documentation over and over I assume in the hope I will go away. And they were always going to "escalate it" for me to another level but that resulted in no movement on the claim.

I have never been able to speak to "Tara" the analyst assigned to my case but I have no reason to believe Tara has any interest in processing this claim and cutting me a check as I deserve. Also, Like a few other mentioned in their reviews, I bought this through Insuremytrip.com and they also bear responsibility for working with this company. Let's be clear, pandemic or not (because that's the excuse some companies are using right now), in my opinion, this is either complete incompetence by Travel Insured or a concerted effort to drag the process on for everyone so that many of us will just go away out of frustration.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2021

My policy clearly states under trip cancellation coverage A "Benefits will be paid up to maximum benefit for non refundable prepaid payments you made for travel arrangements.'' The policy further goes on to state that other covered reasons include quarantine (see page 10 section a). On March 26, 2020 the Canadian government invoked the Quarantine Act shutting down the border between the United States and Canada to unnecessary traffic quarantining us from entering their country. This resulted in a loss of our pre paid non refundable payments we made to the travel company and the airline. The company refused to pay for my loss.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I purchased travel insurance from Travel Insured International for a trip that was cancelled due to COVID-19. I filed the claim within days of the cancellation, and in fact filed it 3 times after being told it hadn't been received. Receipt was only acknowledged once I pointed out that their online system indicated it had been received! I spent HOURS and HOURS on hold on the phone trying to talk with a representative. I was repeatedly told someone would call me back, the matter would be elevated to a supervisor, denied direct access to the person handling the claim, and the ultimate insult was when I was YELLED at by someone answering their phone who told me they had thousands of claims to deal with. Overall experience was insulting, inefficient, and only finally resolved about 5 months later once we contacted our State Insurance Board to intervene. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: March 16, 2021

Filed a claim for trip cancelled because of military restrictions on travel during COVID pandemic in March 2020. Submitted the required documents in June 2020 and have not been paid for my losses in the 9 months since then. At this point, I demand full payment of my claim as well as a partial refund of my policy due to their gross negligence.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

We bought 2 policies from Travel Insured International in 2019 for cruises in 2020. All cruises were canceled by the cruise lines & our cruise money returned by the cruise company. Travel Insured International would not return any of the cost of the most expensive policy which was $1312. I sent emails & letters explaining the situation. I received 1 email in return saying they don't cover a pandemic or cancelation by the cruise line. We cost them nothing & yet they will refund nothing. We even offered to get them a letter from our doctor stating we can not travel because we are over 70 with underlying health conditions. They said no. Horrible company with horrible customer service! I'd give them no stars if I could!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Travel Insured International out of Glastonbury, CT, after requesting and getting info from me three times took 7 months to deny my refund. The trip was cancelled due to Coronavirus, we had no control. They have ignored my phone messages and emails. I strongly urge others with the same to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the governing insurance board that oversees them.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I purchased travel insurance from Travel Insured International, Inc. I had to cancel my trip to Germany due to COVID-19. It took them 8 months to decline payment, since traveling to a foreign country during a global pandemic is not in their list of acceptable cancellation reasons. I can understand why they denied my claim. What I don't understand is why it took them 8 months to decline the claim. Why, after 4 months of filing my claim, did they request that I send them invoices, credit card statements, proof of cancellation, and more for a claim they knew they wouldn't pay? During the process they did not respond to emails or answer phone calls. The only way I got response from Travel Insured International, Inc. was by contacting the Department of Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

In January we purchased "cancel for any reason" policy for trip to Switzerland in June (which ended up being cancelled by airlines). Submitted a claim in June and have been calling and emailing repeatedly. Trying to get our non-refundable portion of expenses ($500) paid to Untours. All we get is a run around. Nobody is interested in doing anything for us -- just say they'll get someone to look into it and blame Covid! Never use this company. I don't ever expect to get my money back. Does anyone know if there is a class action suit against them?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Everything about this company appeared in order from the reviews I read, but their claim processing appears to be a disaster. I submitted a claim in May for travel originally scheduled for March. Since submitting the form there has not been a single contact initiated by the company. All I have had is an automated email confirming receipt and then boilerplate emails in September and October apologizing for processing delays. I have made multiple calls to customer service, one of which resulted in a 'case' being opened on their side. But no signs of action, no queries about the contents of the claim, no evidence that any action was being taken. So am sitting here over 6 months after the claim was submitted with no indication that the claim will be honored, or that it is being actioned in any way.

Travel Insured author review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1994, and formerly a part of the Travelers Insurance Group, Travel Insured works with more than 1,500 travel agencies to offer quality travel insurance products.

• Shop by state: Since every state has different regulations about the types of travel insurance available, Travel Insured only shows the plans available in your state of residence.

• Tiered plans available: See plans that cover everything from a low-cost guarantee on airfare to comprehensive medical and trip protection.

• Up to 5-day delay coverage: With a daily limit of $200 and a plan maximum of $1,000, you are covered for up to five days in the event that your travel is delayed.

• Business concierge services: When traveling for work, you may need to find a place to print documents, make copies or send shipments, all of which the business concierge service can help you with.

• Online claim filing: File a claim online, without spending any time on hold or dealing with spotty phone reception.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor