3.6/5 (142 ratings)

About Travel Insured

Travel Insured Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Insured?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Insured?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I filed two claims with them in July. It's two months later and they are stonewalling me: After waiting on hold for an hour, their call center just reads me what the website tells me--that my claim was received. Emails to open a support ticket are ignored. I have been buying their trip insurance for years, and this is the first time I tried to make a claim. There are other companies out there that have better reviews, and I'll use them in the future. I recommend avoiding this company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

After seeing positive reviews, I elected to purchase a policy from Travel Insured for our upcoming cruise. I called to discuss coverage options and was pleased with the information received. I made a second call to verify that “missed port” coverage was included, this was confirmed. During our cruise, an Apple Watch was stolen, and a Security Report was filed. We also had one of our ports canceled, a document from the Cruise Company was provided for insurance purposes. I opened the claim on 7/5/22 and went through the process of attaching the documentation.

After 10 days nothing had been done, I attempted to call their “Claims” department w\out success. 3 hours on hold and I simply was unable to wait longer. I sent an email to address the issue and received no reply. I called again the following day and was on hold for another 3 hours. I left the call connected and went to lunch. My call counter showed the call ended after 3 hours and 45 minutes. I am now experiencing the same issues as others, no progress on my claim, no contact or updates. My 3rd call was finally answered, the CSR said that they had everything they needed and she would request the claim to be reviewed. Two weeks went by without contact. I’m currently on-hold again for 45 minutes without answer. STAY AWAY!!! Purchase insurance from a “reputable” company.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

They give you a proof of insurance but when something really happens they keep asking for documents they already have to ride out the 12 months and not pay a dime. We had 100% legitimate claim and they managed to ride out. Do not use them. Get a real insurance.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I purchased a travel policy from this company for a cruise in May of 2020. The cruise was canceled because of COVID-19. I contacted the company and they said no refunds that I would be issued a voucher for future use. I never received a voucher. In 2022 I planned another cruise and filed a claim online to get my voucher. After 3 months they responded by email and said they would apply my voucher to my new trip. After several email exchanges asking questions regarding the new trip, they stopped communicating. They now will not answer emails or their phone. I was on hold for over 1.5 hours and no one ever answered. I continue to try to contact them but now I am within weeks of the new trip so I will have to buy another policy, but definitely not from this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I had to cancel a cruise that was scheduled for February 2022. I had purchased CANCEL FOR ANY REASON coverage this trip. Travel Insured acknowledged receiving all of the needed information on April 13. Four months later, just received an email stating that they are still working to complete the claim. Really?! This is cancel for any reason coverage and it has taken four months to do absolutely nothing. In my opinion, there is no reason whatsoever that anyone should do business with this company, and travel agents that recommend it should no better, as I am sure I am not the only one that is experiencing this.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Don't waste your money. They will not fairly return your money. You'll be out their fees and the amount for the trip you are supposed to be able to get a refund thru this company. Please do your research!

Original review: April 26, 2022

Prior to trip, I wanted to modify my trip dates for this travel insurance... On hold x one hour, once they answered, they stated I had the wrong department and was transferred again. I held for another hour -- fixed my dates - took 2 seconds but was on hold for 2 hours. I also can not log in to website and have not received any links in my emails to reset my password. I tried but no emails come and when I asked they said it take up to 24 hours. Well, still no email. Here I am again, on the phone with the company on hold for one hour - no answer. I do not recommend this company. I hope I do not have to file a claim.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Below is part of my recent email to the company. They responded that they understood my frustration, but that what they require is “standard” for all insurance companies. I have not attempted to verify this, but it is clear to me that they were truly interested in discouraging valid claims, rather than preventing fraud. They were asking for a long list of documents from various sources, many of which were not relevant or necessary to our case because it was a COVID cancellation beyond our control. Not worth the money and definitely not worth the hassle!

Your company has made this into such an unnecessary hassle by requiring so much documentation. This school trip was cancelled due to COVID. There is no way anyone could have gone, and some of the paperwork you are asking for we never had in the first place, such as an itinerary, because the trip was cancelled before we got it. I don’t even know how an itinerary would be relevant when the entire trip was cancelled for everyone at the school. We purchased this policy directly through the travel website, so we were not expecting to have to work so hard to get our money back. This may have been company policy and fairly typical of an insurance company, but it was an incredibly poor way to treat your customers during COVID.

In your email you ask for extra time for claims due to higher volume due to COVID. A year and three months later seems like a long time to still be milking that excuse—but do you not realize that things were also harder and more complicated for the families who needed to file those claims? It was a terribly stressful time for us, and we just couldn’t handle the paperwork scavenger hunt you sent us on. The ethical, kind choice would have been for your company to consider the incredible stress almost everyone was under, and take steps to NOT overwhelm your customers with excessive paperwork that you must have known was going to be difficult to gather. You obviously decided to go a different direction.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I'm giving one star for this review because the site did not give me the option to give no stars. I paid almost $800 for a Travel Insured (out of Glastonbury, CT) for a trip to Europe. I filed my claim (relating to COVID of course) in April 2020 and I am still waiting for resolution. If I had only looked here before engaging them... Like most of the other reviews I've read about Travel Insured, they have asked for the same documentation over and over I assume in the hope I will go away. And they were always going to "escalate it" for me to another level but that resulted in no movement on the claim.

I have never been able to speak to "Tara" the analyst assigned to my case but I have no reason to believe Tara has any interest in processing this claim and cutting me a check as I deserve. Also, Like a few other mentioned in their reviews, I bought this through Insuremytrip.com and they also bear responsibility for working with this company. Let's be clear, pandemic or not (because that's the excuse some companies are using right now), in my opinion, this is either complete incompetence by Travel Insured or a concerted effort to drag the process on for everyone so that many of us will just go away out of frustration.

Original review: April 2, 2021

My policy clearly states under trip cancellation coverage A "Benefits will be paid up to maximum benefit for non refundable prepaid payments you made for travel arrangements.'' The policy further goes on to state that other covered reasons include quarantine (see page 10 section a). On March 26, 2020 the Canadian government invoked the Quarantine Act shutting down the border between the United States and Canada to unnecessary traffic quarantining us from entering their country. This resulted in a loss of our pre paid non refundable payments we made to the travel company and the airline. The company refused to pay for my loss.

Travel Insured author review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1994, and formerly a part of the Travelers Insurance Group, Travel Insured works with more than 1,500 travel agencies to offer quality travel insurance products.

• Shop by state: Since every state has different regulations about the types of travel insurance available, Travel Insured only shows the plans available in your state of residence.

• Tiered plans available: See plans that cover everything from a low-cost guarantee on airfare to comprehensive medical and trip protection.

• Up to 5-day delay coverage: With a daily limit of $200 and a plan maximum of $1,000, you are covered for up to five days in the event that your travel is delayed.

• Business concierge services: When traveling for work, you may need to find a place to print documents, make copies or send shipments, all of which the business concierge service can help you with.

• Online claim filing: File a claim online, without spending any time on hold or dealing with spotty phone reception.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor