2.81/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 23, 2018

16 Progressive Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 23, 2018

They increased my rate during the same policy year without sending me any notification. The only update that I got that it changed was the notice my account was billed. Attempted to call to get more information and the automated system hung up on me twice, which just added to my frustration. It is a very bad sign when they do not want you to talk to a person. I think it is time to change providers since my policy is due for renewal soon.

Resolution response: March 1, 2018

The very day I wrote the scathing review of Homesite Insurance I received a call from my adjuster telling me that they were going to cover the whole job except the oil tank itself and its contents. Good news. The reason I gave Homesite 3 stars is the investigation could have gone lots faster. I feel that three weeks without use of the oil heat is a bit much. Beyond that everything is a go for the completion of the cleanup. Homesite is a good value but a bit slow.

Original review: March 1, 2018

On February 9th the heating oil tank in my basement sprang a leak. The leaking must have begun at about 9 PM but I didn't notice it until 10 when I smelled the oil. Upon inspection I found that there was nothing I could do to stop the remaining oil from leaking out. At the same time my sump pump had been pumping the oil out into the yard. I unplugged the pump immediately and called the fire department. When they arrived they checked the situation and said there was nothing they could do. I called the claim number and after registering my claim was advised to find my own cleanup company. The following morning (Saturday) the county health department came by and gave me the numbers for mitigation teams. I called the closest one to my home and they responded within an hour. It's been almost three weeks with no heating system other than my wood stove and the insurance co, Homesite of the Midwest is still dragging its feet.

I need to point out that about half of the job is done. The basement has been almost cleaned out and most of the contents removed (saved as evidence) but since the water that comes into the basement during the spring can't be pumped by the sump pump onto the lawn it has to be collected and disposed of in giant plastic tanks. These tanks are emptied by big vacuum trucks sometimes 4 times a week The bill from just this is around $10,000 so far and we're still waiting for Homesite to get done "investigating". So far an adjuster has yet to show up. The adjuster assigned to my case is never available on the phone either. I have homeowners insurance to cover catastrophic events like this and would like to think the insurance underwriter is on my side, naive as that is. Let the buyer beware.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Hurricane Matthew hit N.C. hard in Oct. 2016. Our yard was flooded up to our front steps (we had our house built up because of the potential of flooding in our area). Almost a week later, the water had subsided enough for us to check for any damage due to the wind and high waters. Other than a few shingles and outdoor items blown away or ruined we felt blessed. Then we checked our backyard! Our inground fiber glass pool was almost drained and had our lawn chairs and an anti mosquito bowl (about 20 pds.) were inside the pool. We immediately entered the pool and removed the items and were sick to see a crack in the bottom of the pool.

We filed a claim for the damage. To date we have received some 20+ letters from the insurance company, many were duplicates. We had an adjuster come out, a nice young man who almost immediately said "I don't know what to do about this, I've never worked with fiber glass pools this big". One would assume that he was very inexperienced after that remark. After another 7 letters or so just repeating the same thing "we are processing your claim", we were told to get a "professional" fiber glass company to come out and write out his/her findings. (at a cost of $100.00).

Their opinion was that the items in the pool had caused the crack and drained the pool, causing the pool to slant inward. A coverable offense. Within a week or so, we received word from the insurance company denying our claim. It seems their claims adjuster (remember the one who said he didn't know what to do?) felt that the problem wasn't weather related but was due to earth settlement/ground movement. We didn't have a tornado, it was announced by the weather channel as a hurricane!!

This has been all time most stressful experience I can ever remember. The staff all "seem" to have no knowledge of anything and getting any of them on the phone or call backs is nigh on to impossible. I found their attitudes to be lazy and hum drum. They refuse to let you speak to upper management (although that would probably be useless) by saying "all" management are in meetings. DO NOT BUY PROGRESSIVE HOMEOWNERS even if Flo is adorable.

Original review: July 29, 2017

To make a long story short, I was promised that my claim would be quickly handled several times. I was in a no fault accident, I provided everything they required and took extra steps to ensure things would be handled quickly. I was promised to my face 6 days after the accident that my check was in the mail, everything was settled, and I should be driving again no later than the weekend. Here I am, a month after everything, still paying for insurance while being ghosted by my claims agent, supervisors, even the agent who sold me my plan in the first place. Looks great on paper, but pray you never need them for anything but that.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I was with the company for renter's insurance for over 2 year, no problem. I called in March 2017 about something and the agent convinced me to add water damage coverage for ONLY $8.00 more a month. I remember this conversation because we talked for a while, just so I can make sure there were No Hidden costs. Well I got the email telling me the $8.00 was coming out my account AND then $128.00 taken out too! I didn't get an email about that! When I called, they tried to do a Jedi Mind Trick on me! When a policy is renewed we ask for a down payment amount yada yada. Wait what?!

Every year my policy was renewed they never asked me for more money to just renew a month payment. So I said just review the taped phone call and see I'm telling the truth about the agent saying all it will Cost me is $8.00! When they called me back, the rep. was like "Well that agent will go for retraining but our policy is to cancel the policy if you want to cancel something you added on at a later date!" Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face! Instead of admitting your employee messed up, and refund me my money; I was told the ONLY way to get my money back was to cancel my renter's policy! DONE! Now I'm going to Allstate to be in Better hands PLUS I will re-post this review everywhere so no one else will go through this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners?

Original review: April 21, 2017

Customer service is poor to mediocre. There appears to be no human involvement in the underwriting process. They create policies without accurate information (they didn't know what type of roof was even on my home, and I'd had the policy in place for nearly five years before I filed my first and only claim). They raise your rates every year and communicate this to you via letters in the mail that you're expected to comb through. You deal with three different companies if you have an issue with a claim - Progressive, Homesite and Wardlow. The term coverage is a stretch: I ended up spending $5,000 to have my roof replaced (and this was a 1,500 sq. ft. ranch-style home in Texas).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Rates sounded great when getting a quote, with 500 deductible. Then to find out that it don't cover drains, does cover storms, unless it's Hail damage. It covers it but your deductible changes from 500 to 5000.00. Insurance companies are coming sneakier by the day in ways to charge you and not cover anything. I guess If my house burns down I'll be in great shape though!?!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

We have had to make no claims, but so far we are pleased. Progressive was recommended to us by our son. It was a very reasonable amount for quite good coverage, and we are able to pay it online which is a big plus.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

New policy for me but they were very helpful when applying. Progressive insurance agent were very attentive to all of the questions I had as I setup the homeowner insurance policy.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

They are a good company to work with. I had a claim and was paid fairly quick for the necessary repairs that needed to be done. My only problem was that they took a while to pay the company that did the drying in our basement after a flood. The company called me several times because they weren't paid, so I was dissatisfied that it took Progressive so long to take care of their payment.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

They are a good company however when a Hurricane Sandy ripped thru my yard taking one of the largest trees on the block down, they did not inform me that since it fell into my neighbor’s yard that they needed to call and put a claim on their policy. I went ahead and had paid someone to remove and take tree away all to find out that my policy would not cover this. It's important for insurance companies to explain perils and what is and is not covered!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Haven't had to file a claim with Progressive. The premium is lower than most for similar coverage. Progressive has an easy website to navigate and provides digital insurance cards which are very convenient.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I never had to make a claim so I really don't know how their service would be other than the fact that I have and have used their auto insurance and they are wonderful.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I do like our insurance company. They are local and are always there when we need them. The only problem is how high the prices keep going up every year.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We had hail damage on our property and roof. They can put in a timely manner and compensated us for what we lost. They always have gotten back to us in a timely manner and I have never had to call them more than once for anything. Very informative when I needed them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

I also use Progressive for Auto insurance and it is easy to sign up, get a quote, and make my monthly payments. I have not ever had to file a claim, but feel like if I did, they would be helpful and easy to work with.

Progressive Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Homeowners is a company that provides insurance coverage for homeowners in the event of damage or theft. They tailor their coverage to the needs of the individual homeowner, and offer a variety of additional coverage options. They cover homes, condos and mobile homes, as well as offering coverage to renters.

• Tailored coverage: Progressive Homeowners offers coverage that comes standard with every policy as well as additional options that can be purchased so that the policy is tailored to the individual customer.

• Loss of use: They offer standard "loss of use" coverage so that if a policyholder can no longer live in his or her home due to damage, the homeowner's hotel and meal expenses will be covered while the home is being repaired.

• Inflation guard endorsement: One of their excellent coverage options is an inflation guard, which automatically adjusts the coverage on your policy by taking inflation into account.

• Liability: Their coverage ensures that the homeowner is covered in the event of a legal suit regarding the property.

• Easy online access: You can get quotes online, and also access your account online for convenience.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, renters and mobile home owners.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky