1.30/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratings

Pacific Specialty Insurance

Pacific Specialty Insurance Company, the flagship of the McGraw Group of Affiliated Companies, is recognized as an industry leader in motorcycle and personal watercraft coverage. Pacific Specialty also offers automotive, homeowners, dwelling fire, boat, motor home, mobile home and commercial products, and has become the "one spot" independent brokers and agents can source all their clients' coverage needs.

For the third consecutive year (2011-2013), Pacific Specialty was listed as a Ward's 50 Top Performer. Each year, the Ward Group analyzes the financial performance of over 3,000 property-casualty insurance companies in the United States and identifies the Top 50 companies that have passed all of their safety and consistency performance tests for the preceding 5-year period. We are honored to be included in this select group of insurance companies.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

51 Pacific Specialty Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 6, 2014

I filed a claim on March 24, 2014 for a burst water heater that flooded my garage and part of my kitchen. It took me two days to get in contact with a real person about my claim. Then they assigned my claim to Karen who is disrespectful and unprofessional. She told me that I cannot claim any property that was not mine. I am married with two kids and she implied that their property was not covered and suggested I take it off the claim. When I confronted her about that she had no response. She then accused me of taking property out of my home and deliberately placing it into the flood area so that she can deny all of my personal property claim. I have never been so offended and disrespected in my life. Who purposely destroys perfectly good items to get the bare minim from a scam artist insurance company

Meanwhile my house has holes in the wall from the water damage and floors are destroyed as well. Tomorrow will be three weeks and I have no answer about my claim or when anything will be paid. I am sure they are trying to find a way to deny my claim. I pay a lot for my insurance each year and do not deserve to be treated this way. My children do not deserve to come home to a house with holes cut through the wall and floors destroyed. This is why we have insurance so that we can protect ourselves from these types of problems but it's clear that Pacific Specialty goal is to take people money and never pay anyone's claim. How is this company still afloat. I will do all I can to let people know what kind of company this is and to stay far away from them. I even called my producer and told her I was disappointed for the suggestion and to make sure she send no one else to this horrible company. Just pay me my money so I can get on with my life.

Original review: March 12, 2014

Worst Experience Ever. I filed a claim on 2/10/14 for a leak in the ceiling that was just noticed ( For a house in HB). Claim adjuster, Patrick, advised me to get a leak detection company at the house to know the cause and duration of the leak. I quickly scheduled for the leak detection company to come to the house. The leak detection company couldn't detect the source of the leak; however, they told me that the duration of the leak was for approximately one month. They also mentioned that there was a SMALL area of mold so it needs a mold specialist to open the wall so that they can know the source of the leak.

I next tried to contact Patrick again but after 2 weeks of multiple back-forth phone messages with Patrick, he finally told me that because of the mold he needs to check with a supervisor. During this 2 week period, I tried multiple times to phone Patrick but was unable to contact him. When he would finally call back it was after business hours (after 5:00 PM) and he would leave a message stating that he tried to contact me. I would quickly call back to only get an answering service that the company was closed. He did this multiple times making me unable to contact him or the company. It seems he merely called me back at the end of the work day because he did not want to deal with me. His messages always stated still working on it. I found this customer service absolutely and utterly unacceptable. A customer should not have to leave 5 messages just to get a phone call after business hours.

After one month (3/10/14), Patrick told me that the claim was denied by the supervisor because there was mold. I understood that they would not cover mold removal but my policy covers damage repair and leak detection so I quickly called the supervisor to ask why that part of the claim was denied. I reached his supervisor (Carl) and explained the situation to him. I told him that I have spent one month dealing with this claim and the leak has still not been detected. Meanwhile, damage was progressing in my house due to the leak and now they are telling me that they will not cover leak detection or damages because there was a SMALL mold. Carl responded by SHOUTING, SCREAMING, INTIMIDATING, PATRONIZING and telling me that they will not cover anything because there was mold and not to call them again. I told him most of the damage happened because I was waiting for the response of the claim that didn't even detect the leak. He SCREAMED AT ME, "WHO TOLD YOU NOT TO REPAIR YOUR HOUSE!" I have never had a customer service experience like this.

I found Supervisor CARL to be unprofessional, rude, and slightly racist (I have an accent). I can't believe it took them over one month to respond to my claim, they were unresponsive to my daily messages, and they were extremely rude!!! I advise anyone thinking of joining this insurance company to run away as fast as possible. I will be taking legal action to cover my claim; they can expect my lawyer to contact them shortly.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

Pacific specialty owes my mom and me over 60000 dollars from claim of burglary from 2009. They only have paid 2350 up to now. They keep playing games and delay tactics. I have provided receipts and pictures and owners manuals and boxes of things stolen but nothing is ever enough. They are racists and dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2014

July 2013, I moved from Sacto to LA. I hired 2 individuals to load my furniture into a Budget 26ft truck. Since I didn't pay theses individuals more money than agreed, during the load the "want a be" movers intentionally threw, dragged, scratched, you name it, they did it to my furniture while putting it into the truck. I had no idea this was going on. Boxes were crushed, items were damaged and two boxes of expensive items never made it to the LA residence. I called the Ins. company to report the theft and vandalism loss. I also reported the incident to the police and to my Allstate agent. After weeks of not answering my phone calls or responding to my emails, Pacific Specialty denied the claim. They determined it was not an act of vandalism (a covered peril) it was "accidental" due to a bad choose of moving help - you get what you pay for - I should have hired a professional company if I was really concerned about protecting my property.

Norma ** was the claim adjuster. She was vague, rude and short to answer any questions. She never knew what was going on only that it was in legal for coverage review. She also said and sent a letter indicating that I changed the loss from accidentally damage to vandalism - reaching for ways to get it covered. This was a lie. I asked for a copy of the original loss report to prove what I reported - she would not send me a copy. I also gave a recorded statement indicating vandalism by to individuals. When I tried to explain my concerns, I was rudely cut off. I appealed the denial in writing. The claim was then referred to the Claims Manager, Carl ** who sent a letter out indicating the claim was under review for vandalism. After 9 weeks and many ignored calls, I received a call from a man who Identified himself by first name only. He was extremely rude and unprofessional, said he was calling for Carl and that the claim remains denied.

I asked for the details of the investigation and he said said there is nothing more to discuss. I asked him what kind of fly by night, back alley, shady claims dept. is this. All they do is to look for ways/reasons to deny claims. All calls go directly to voice mail - his response was no response at all! Phone was silent. He said a letter for the denial was in the mail and that was the end of the conversation. This is the worst, most unprofessional company I have ever encountered. My Allstate agent said this was a preferred company he used for HO3 policies since Allstate didn't write Homeowner policies in California. This is my agent's fault for selling me a policy that provided him a commission and screwed me, the insured.

I also reported this to the Department of Insurance. Marion ** indicated there is a difference of opinion between me and the Ins. Co. and they are unable to help. This is more than a difference of opinion, it's a scam by Pacific Specialty Ins. and the Brokers that sell their policies. You pay your premium and they find ways to not pay or hold up payment for legitimate covered perils. The Department of Insurance needs to look into their claim practices.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

My agent write my home policy with Pacific Specialty Insurance Company. We paid in full for one year. As every consumer aware that you pay to insurance companies all your life, when you have a claim, most of them pay the damage cost and close the chapter. Pacific Specialty Insurance Company's adjuster whose name is Patrick ** send their company appraiser to have an estimate for the hot water pipe and other damages repair cost. He did not satisfy or ignore their own employee estimate, ask us to send an estimate from the plumber who will repair the damage. We send a copy of the estimate copy. Patrick did not satisfied.

In the meantime our tenant screaming every day that they can't live in the house because there is no hot water, and they moved to their cousin house. More than 20 days until we hired our plumber and paid to repair hot water pipe from leaking, there is more damages on the dry walls which yet not repaired since November 2013 until today January 14 2014 yet Patrick **, the company adjuster, fishing some excuse until you give up calling them.

Every time you call, he return your call after one week or later and give you some nonsense reasons or same question over and over again because he couldn't come up with new excuses. Please anyone can help me or advise me to report other site, call **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pacific Specialty Insurance Company?

Original review: July 15, 2013

Insurance representative sold me "replacement cost" insurance. Pacific Specialty does NOT HONOR that statement in the least. They discount everything in your claim and try to not cover some items at all. They can send you a 24-page document AFTER you have a claim in small print where they exclude some coverage but that is bait and switch at it's worst. They don't return phone calls after you have a claim, try to beat down your contractors on pricing and coverage and illegally pay claims LONG after prices for materials have risen and do not adjust. Get OUT before you have a claim and are crucified by this horribly dishonest company.

Original review: May 31, 2013

I have had two policies with Pacific Specialty Insurance for almost 20 years. January 2012, I had one claim for vandalism and they have cancelled my policy. Ridiculous, after 20 years and one claim. Plus, I spent over 1/2 hour trying to reach a live person on the phone all to no avail. They are totally unresponsive.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2012

I wish I had read these reviews before I signed up with Pacific Specialty Insurance. Stay away from these people, they will not cover you and they will find a way to deny your claim if remotely possible. I purchased a home in CA and a week after the closing, as a welcoming gift, my AC was chopped. I was totally shocked after I filed a claim with the Pacific Specialty Insurance to find out that they would not cover the theft of the AC because they said the house was vacant for more than 30 days before I closed on the property.

Remember, this was before I owned the house and before I had them as an insurance company. Mind you, this policy was sold as a seasonal. The agent I bought the policy from did not know about this item in the policy. I went through all my documents from them and nowhere could I find any mention of this. They do not communicate such an important fact to you. This must be illegal somewhere, but recouping $4K through litigation does not work; they probably know that. Don’t reward a dishonest company; stay away.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2012

Simple water leak had insurance with this so called company PSI for over a year. Mr. Charles ** gave me every excuse why he wouldn’t pay for my claim. I’m so glad it wasn’t anything major and now I am definitely going back to Farmers Insurance. And on another note, when everyone in the office doesn’t speak English, that should have been my 1st sign to run and run fast. Word to the wise, if you find yourself wanting to get insurance with this company, not a good idea!

Original review: July 10, 2012

Back in February of 2005, our home had a collapse due to a sewer pipe that had been leaking under our foundation, for what we found out to be about a 1 year period. We lived on a hillside and had neighbors on each side of us. We called in the claim two days later. We had been red tagged. It all happened so fast. Then, we called the insurance company. They instructed us to mitigate damages to our home and surrounding homes and they would send an adjuster out, which was two days after that. We were in the process of mitigating damages when the adjuster came out. He wrote in his report that there was no damage to the home, even though he had pictures of the damage and there were pictures in the newspaper. Don't know how much more black and white damage could have been.

We ended up spending about $500,000 to stabilize the structure and our neighbors. And PSIC never paid a dime. Our house was foreclosed upon. 7 1/2 years later, we finally had our day in court with a jury. We ended up losing the trial, the juror foreman said it wasn't the evidence, it was the fact that they thought we were rich and didn't deserve to be paid for our claim. Our life savings gone, our home gone and now divorced. PSIC and their team of attorneys are not even human. The lowest form of crooks. White collar thieves. When you purchase insurance, you expect to be taken care of, not walked away from and left with nothing.

Original review: June 27, 2012

I have never seen any system as inefficient as PSI and their agents. They live in the dark ages. I got assigned to a Charles **, who of course never calls me back as promised, is excellent at making excuses on everything, doesn't have a personal email of his own so he can’t communicate with his clients, and never gets the emails I send to him on the company email. However, they mysteriously always appear on his desk after I call to check in. He said it would take the police department months to get a report to them. I got it to him in minutes off the net.

Yet, till date he has not told me how much I am going to be compensated for, since I had a burglary and lost expensive electronics. He is always unavailable or too busy to work on my account. I so wish I had seen these remarks before and would have never signed up with this company. But guess it’s better late than never. I don’t have much hope now after reading other experiences. Can anyone advise as the best way to report them for inefficiency? Should the report go to BBB? Or, is there some place else where they take consumer complaints more seriously and act more responsibly? Please advise.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

I had a micro burst in my neighborhood. The insurance company first said that I needed to prove I have my roof repaired. I showed that proof. They then asked for a receipt of repair. I showed that. They then said the roof was over 25 years old, and I had to prove it had been replaced in the last 25 years. I obtained 2 letters from contractors stating it was not 25 years old. They then said I had to make a claim to get coverage, 1 and 1/2 years later, after going to the head of the company. They denied my claim, stating my roof was excluded, and none of the proof was good enough. Everyone else in the neighborhood got new roofs. From the $13,000 I filed for claim, they paid $2,500, depreciated everything else, or excluded from coverage.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2011

A microburst in my neighborhood did extensive damage to many homes knocking down power lines, trees and blowing off roofs. The roof from my neighbor’s house was blown off and landed on top of our block fence knocking half of it down. I called PSI and they took the claim report and sent an adjuster after a few days. The adjuster took pictures of the roof laying on top of our wall and the neighbor’s house and the damage caused. He stated that it was very obvious that the damage was caused by the roof and that we had a good claim. He promised to send in the report in 4-5 days to PSI, my neighbor’s insurance carrier, and he did. My claim was assigned to Larry ** who promised to handle this rapidly. Three weeks passed and he kept putting me off saying that it was being reviewed. I called him back a week later and he said it could be rejected because it wasn't my neighbor’s fault that the storm blew his roof into my property. I talked to my neighbor and he said PSI hasn't the hotel where he was staying and hasn't started fixing his house yet.

I received a letter from them 6 weeks later stating that the claim had been rejected because no grounds were established that there was negligence on behalf of my neighbor and that if I wasn't happy with their decision, I could file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. Better than that, I will file with the Arizona Department of Insurance and the Attorney General's Office. California has no jurisdiction in Arizona. I recommend all claimants file with their State ASAP.

Original review: April 12, 2011

I'm a contractor who has dealt with a a few claims thru PSIC. First, consumers beware if you signed a DP1 policy. This is the biggest scam since Bernard **. As typical with any type of claim, we met the adjuster from PSIC at the property where we measured and compared our views of the damage. At no point did the adjuster indicate this is a non-recoverable depreciation policy. So the claim is turned into our office and put into an industry standard program that calculates measurements and gives current market pricing based on the current petroleum rates. Once this is completed, usually the price is a little higher than the estimate given by the insurance. At this point we contact the insurance company and get approval for these numbers from a claims agent prior to starting any work. At no point did the agent indicate this is a non-recoverable depreciation policy. Once the work is completed, we have it inspected by the city and gather all info on the claim (permits,pics,receipts,notice of inspection,etc.) and forward this information to the claims agent so that they can release the recoverable depreciation to the home owner.

As sure as sin created the devil on a remaining $7,000 job, the home owner receives a check for $323.56. **! Excuse my language but seriously here folks not only do I have to pay the crew that worked the job but the initial check from PSIC barely covered materials and transportation. So after speaking with the home owner and picking up my enormous check, I had my office staff contact PSIC to find out when they would be releasing the remainder of the money. At this point (job totally completed for 3 weeks), the claims agent announces this is a non-recoverable depreciation policy! Huh?

I contacted the home owner who told me that this was the company his mortgage company made him sign up with when he purchased the home & that he had no idea what kind of policy he held. So again, I personally contacted PSIC and asked that the call be escalated to a manager or supervisor, a young lady by the name of Debbie although extremely pleasant, but firmly let me know that nothing can be done to recover this money and basically as a contractor, I should have gotten cheaper materials and hired cheaper labor because she is more than sure that another company could have made the first check work.

Wow! As a small business owner, $7k is a lot of money and to charge this amount back to the home owner would be unfair and ridiculous. I tried contacting DORA to make a complaint but as a contractor, they would not accept my complaint and asked that I have the home owner make the complaint. This is a tedious process that requires time and effort, so to ask my client to take away from their personal time to recover my money also seems unfair to the home owner.

My best advice is stay the hell away from PSIC if you value your belongings and home.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2010

My son Tony ** bought the insurance when he got the motorcycle. He was run off the road and was killed. Specific specialty then call, a William at that time, I sent he all information on the accident 05/28/2009. Claims finally got back to me on September 20th. They wanted me to sign a release form for the 25.000 and have notarized. I did that and faxed them the form. Then I receive the letter that the claim is resolved. I call them and no one will answer in clamed or call me back. Have not received any check.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2010

On June 6, 2010, I had plumbing pipe leading to the sewer backup in my basement. Sewage backed up through the pipe and spilled all over the basement floor. I contacted Pacific to determine my best course of action. They told me to call a plumber to resolve and Serv Pro for the clean up. The clean up company (Serv Pro) was to be paid directly. When submitting for reimbursement for the plumbing, I was careful to separate out the extra work done by the plumber, which was not a result of this event. The clearing of the pipe and clean up were completed within a few days. However, my claim continued to remain open for months.

I would call for a status and was told I would get a call back, but never would. My agent, Douglass ** was useless. Eventually, beginning of September, I reached Douglass and was told the claim was closed and Serv Pro was paid directly. However, I would not be reimbursed for the plumbing charges.

I asked when he was planning to tell me about this and was met with silence. He then said he would reopen the file and someone would get back to me soon. Nothing for about a month. I called back and left yet another message on Douglass' voicemail. Eventually, I received a phone call from one of Douglass' associates stating that my claim was denied because "water damage resulting from a backup was not covered".

I argued that the cleanup was covered and paid for and that we had a rider covering backup. After a half hour of discussion, this associate consulted with someone and returned to the phone stating that Douglass had not mentioned the rider and that we were, in fact, covered. She said Douglass would call me the next day to discuss the exact figures.

I made it a point to emphasize Douglass is not the most reliable when it comes to call backs and that I would appreciate it if she stressed to Douglass that I am awaiting his phone call. Again, nothing. Tonight (10/13), I called again and left a voicemail for Douglass.

He called back and stated we were not covered. This time, he quoted an exclusions section, which stated, "We do not insure the cost of tearing out, repair and/or replacing any pipes, including concrete slabs enclosing pipe.” He insisted that clearing a clog is excluded under the "repair" meaning. When asked if I can speak to an individual who made that determination, he refused to provide me with a name. When I asked if a phone number would be available on the claim rejection letter, he stated he thought so but he wasn't sure. Stay away from this company. They appear to do all they can to not cover a claim. Regardless of what their reasoning is, there does not appear to be recourse for dispute.

$526.43 is the consequence. My daughter starts college next year. We are trying to save money and every dollar makes a difference.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2010

I filed a claim in Feb. 9. It been bad since day one I got a draft I mailed it in to mortgage company. First the insurance company forgot to pay me for the damage to roof. So they had the adjuster come back out again redo the estimate. He blamed them. They blamed him. In the mean time, I have cancer. My kids had been back and forth to hospital with sore throats, sinus problems because mold was setting. My mortgage company adjuster read the paper wrong two times. They have only sent me half of one check $6000.

The insurance comp made another check. I mailed it to them mortgage company. I still haven't got anymore money. I owe contractor. Works done. I also got deducted again for deductible. The mortgage company adjuster keeps messing up. Well, it's June now but I didn't have two ceiling fixture outlets in which there was never none in the first place, outside patio which they have pic. I didn't have. They still have not released my funds to me. I owe people money. What should i do?

I haven't received any money on roof which I had to fix first. Okay update. They sent adjuster out three times. He has changed his report three times. They covered all damaged in the house and carpet, everything. Now they are saying the roof wasn't the cause of it. They gave me three different reports. They messed up on paying me for personal property twice. How can they pay for water damage in side if the wind lifted roof up first to cause damage? They aren't returning my calls. They said claim has been closed. On their last report, they put based on our inspection of the roof. There was no storm related damage to the roof that created an opening. Would account for any water intrusion in the interior. But they paid for damages inside. Don't make any sense. Well due to them not paying for the roof that cause the damage inside, mold came and my kids and I been to doctor more then 10 times each. Can't breathe.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2010

On January 8, 2010, we had a garage fire that spread to the roof, living room, dining room and it destroyed all of the contents in the garage. The adjuster came out that weekend to survey the damage. Since that weekend, there has been no re-construction to the house. PSIC has paid some of the personnel loss items, paid other small items, but still has not moved on the re-build of the house. It has now been 8 months and our living expense allowance is about to run out. Instead of providing what they should be doing, they would rather pay for us to stay in a rental home instead of repairing my home. They do not communicate with my public adjuster, return phone calls or e-mails. If they do not act soon, we will be on the street but still paying a mortgage on a house that has been red tagged and unlivable. If my living expense runs out, I can not afford to pay a mortgage on a burnt house and rent on another. For PSIC not to perform on my claim is unacceptable. I made my insurance payments every year and now they won't do what I paid for.

Original review: May 12, 2010

A claim was filed on March 19, 2010 for damage to our pool due to a heavy storm. The insurance company, Pacific Specialty Insurance Co., sent and adjuster out to look at the damage and he submitted his report. The insurance company said the report was unclear. The company sent out another person who is suppose to be an engineer, but the insurance company claims they have have not gotten the report from the engineer yet we are still waiting and at a loss. The first adjuster came out a week after the claim was filed, the second adjuster came out a whole month later.

It has been three weeks since the second adjuster came out. How long does it take? Now, the insurance company said they have to pay the second adjuster before he will release the report. Tim the examiner says, "Oh we just paid them," William says, "Oh, we paid them last week." They are giving us the runaround and we're sick and tired of it. We just want our pool fixed. We are now into the month of May and still they have not settled our claim. It is now May 12, 2010, almost two months since the claim was filed. The insurance company is very negligent on their part in taking care of our claim. There has been several calls made to the company, also letters of complaint, and still no settlement.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2009

I had a house fire on March 13, 2008 which started in the garage of new property. I had only been in the house 90 days. Now, the house is rebuilt and there were add-ons that were necessary by the city of Apple Valley our contractor, Thorpe Development, had to complete. Now, PSIC will not pay for the add-ons. We had $13,000 in checks sent to us to give to the contractor. Our mortgage company, IndyMac, is holding them until we get the new totals from PSIC. There were no return calls even if I paged April **. There are just no return calls. Customer service is just terrible.

Now, a lien is being placed on the house because of the amount owed to the contractor, Jeffrey Thorpe Development. It has been one year since we have been in the rebuilt house. I'm still dealing with PSIC for contractor monies and personal property is still unfinished. I can deal with no more. My father died suddenly on July 3, 2009. I can't mourn his death still dealing with PSIC 20 months after the fire. We want this resolved. I have contacted Department of Insurance for help also. Any help would be appreciated.

Original review: March 7, 2009

My home was robbed on January 12th. On the 23rd of February, I was told by April that a check was being cut for the claim. Nothing showed up. I called on Monday, March 2nd, and was told that she had to resubmit the claim for approval and that a check was being cut that day. I called on Friday, March 6th. I can't get a straight answer from them on what is going on and what to expect. I can't even talk to a supervisor. They don't return calls.

This has been mentally difficult on my family, especially my children. My daughter is a sophomore in high school and needs her laptop replaced for her schoolwork. My son can't sleep at night because of the robbery and is still upset losing his tv, electronics, play station and games. I would like to meet their needs with replacements, but can't do so until Pacific Specialty processes the claim.

Pacific Specialty Insurance Company Information