4.17/5

National General RV Insurance

At National General RV Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

National General RV Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

Most of the other providers including USAA do every other month payment and I wanted a monthly payment so I went with National General. I had spoken to one gentleman on the phone a couple of months ago when I was still looking for an RV. When I tried to get back in touch with him, I was unable to so everything was done online at that point. I changed the RV that I was looking at to a different one, and I did it all online. The website is very easy to use. Even a dumb truck driver like me can do it.

National General also allows me to take time off and go into a storage situation like when the RV isn't home. A lot of times, it'll be in the barn at home. The payment schedule went from the normal payment to like 25% of the actual payment for that storage. Some of the other insurance agents don't have that. Since I work out of state and I'm gone most of the year, that is very beneficial for me. We'll see how it pans out as we go down the road but right now, I'm happy with National General.

Original review: May 15, 2019

So far, working with National General's reps has been good. However, I didn't check all the way with my primary insurance after I got my policy with them. I could have gotten the same policy with total replacement coverage for a little cheaper. Also, National General checks all the boxes. They offer coverages if you wanna pay more for extra packages. It'd be nicer if they had one that was just standard roadside service and towing instead of having much add-ons. Still, we're really excited as it'll be our first trip out with our vehicle and we're ready.

Get expert buying tips about RV Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 4, 2019

My experience with National General has been wonderful. I have a car and an RV insurance with them, and the amount of coverage provided is what was expected. I got what I paid for. When I get pulled over, I don’t feel like I’m gonna go to jail. And I have it on my phone, so if I can’t find the paperwork in my car, I can show it to them on my phone. So, that’s another plus. Also, my interactions with the customer service representatives has been great. The latest saleslady that I talked to on the phone was amazing. They need to give her a raise. We were laughing, and she’s a hoot.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We obtained insurance for our RV through National General Insurance. Other providers were extremely expensive, while National General had the best rates. The amount of coverage provided to us was comparable to everything else that we quoted and was a cheaper plan that covered the exact same thing. Everything was very similar to Progressive or any of the other insurance companies that we quoted. Our experience with National General has been good so far. It was really easy to get somebody on the line. Anytime we've called them with any questions or needed some information during our initial process, they were more than happy to give it. And anytime we had a question, we called them and we were directed to the correct person and could get our question answered.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I had a Good Sam membership before, so I had National General for a brief period of time when I had my first RV. It was an older RV and I didn’t keep it. Then, I got this new RV and went with Geico for insurance and then Progressive was cheaper, so we went with them. Progressive then started being crazy wanting me to pay the whole payment upfront, so I went back to National General. They had better coverage for RVs anyway. Also, if Good Sam recommends them, they should be a decent company since Good Sam is an RV place. I was able to sign up with online, which is a plus. I don’t like to have to call if I don’t need to because I’ve got so much other stuff going on, so I was happy with it. Everything has been fine. They’re a little more expensive than my Progressive policy. But I’m not a multi-car and they’re not trying to make me pay all of it upfront.

Go get a quote from National General. It’s quick and you see everything. It’s not somebody on the other line just telling you you're covered. You’re actually choosing your coverages and that’s good because it has a lot of things that you may not have with another company that covers the RV like the travel reimbursement. It has got RV towing on there too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General RV Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I had National Insurance for my motorhome for 2 years with no problems until it was time to file a claim. This summer dust devil hit our RV while traveling through the desert on I-10. It tore the driver wheel well fender off. They repeatedly refused the claim stating they didn't believe this could happen. Also, that I could not prove there was a windstorm therefore the damage was due to deterioration. They constantly placed the responsibility on me to prove the claim rather on them to disprove the claim. I will NEVER deal with this company again!

After six months they finally relented and issued a check. However, they changed the claim from comprehensive to collision. The final insult, ensuring our rates would increase from this incident. The customer service was terrible. They provided no explanations for their decisions or actions and I constantly had to reach out to them for information. Even then I could not get any explanations from them. They will put you off and wear you down hoping you will go away!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had a minor incident where I backed into a post with my RV causing minor damage. With no prior claims in 5 years, my $500 deductible was reduced to $200. But my rates increased by $292 for National General to recover the vanishing deductible. Nice. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

On June 14th, 2019, coming home to NC from CO, we were involved in an accident on I-70 in MO with a FedEx truck who's driver admittedly fell asleep at the wheel. My RV and towed car were both disabled. NGIC advised us it would be 2 weeks until an adjuster could come look at the vehicles, and then we'd have to get 3 estimates and then get in queue for repairs. FedEx blew us off repeatedly and said this happens all the time, and to collect from our insurance and have them come after FedEx. We were stranded in Columbia MO. FedEx wouldn't help. NGIC wouldn't help. They said to pay out of pocket and turn in receipts for hotels etc. AND that there is a $700 limit on stranded reimbursements. My son, a disabled 3 tour Army war vet, his wife, and their autistic son were traveling with me.

VW was fantastic, and immediately got to work on my car (had to pay out of pocket, NGIC said they would not do anything until adjuster could come out...in 2 weeks). Columbia MO Camping World was also fantastic, and set about trying to repair the massive damage to the tanks, and undercarriage enough to make it road-worthy (again had to pay out of pocket, and it took 2 weeks to get parts etc). American Express was amazing, as my cards were maxed from the vacation. I didn't even have my card with me, and they were able to work out an authorization process allowing me to get things fixed, even upped my limit for this emergency.

Still stranded in MO, I had to be back to work, and no transportation to get home. Had to fly us all home, last minute prices on tickets. My son agreed to stay until enough repairs were made so the vehicles could be road worthy to come home for complete repairs. Good news? We made it home, no one died. I am a Paramedic and ex-military, and my son also ex military, we had set to work on the scene of the wreck to warn traffic and clear debris from the road. Other vehicles (18 wheelers) were disabled, one had to be towed.

Bad news? It is now Oct 23rd, 2019. National General is still giving me the runaround. My RV is still not fixed, it is at Camping World in NC. I have submitted receipts, as instructed, and no reimbursements. Not even the emergency $700 for stranded motorists. The adjusters rarely (less than once a month) return my calls, and when they do, they don't know anything. Say they'll call back, and don't. I have submitted photos, copies on a thumb drive, kept all broken pieces for them.

Today I am told that because I payed out of pocket in MO, like I was told to do, where we were STRANDED!!!! That now I have to collect directly from FedEx. FedEx transfers me around, and says to call my Insurance company. I have talked to a few attorneys. Surprisingly there are many in MO who specialize in FedEx accidents. Because no one was killed or seriously injured (I have spinal injuries and have not been able to go back to work, therapy 3x a week, but am getting better) NO ATTORNEYS WILL HELP US!!! (*I am a farmer, volunteer fire-fighter, full time Paramedic, not a wuss or a cry baby, I can handle pain, but can't do my job again until cleared by Dr.)

SO, thanks to National General, I am about to have to file bankruptcy or lose my house. I am out of work, supporting 7 people, and the farm. Insurance won't pay. Credit cards that got us fixed up and home need payments every month. Camping World hooked me up with NGIC when I bought my Class A. Transferred all my cars to them for the discount. Turns out NGIC also slipped by that there is no medical on my auto policies now. So, 2 people with minor injuries, but months long rehab treatment, not covered. Camping World employees currently are telling me that National General is the worst insurance company that they work with, they often delay and refuse to pay until out of frustration the RV owners just pay it themselves. GMAC = NGIC same company different name now. RUN, don't walk. But it's up to each person to decide. Can't recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

We purchased a camper at Gander Mountain RV and the dealership had us get on the phone with this insurance company (a.k.a. Good Sam), same company the dealer offers membership to. We purchased the insurance policy to allow us to get the camper on the road. The quote was extremely high but especially because it was for the camper only and not to include the truck that pulls it which is with different insurance company. We cancelled this policy exactly 30 days to the date. Now this company wants an extra month premium as well as a bogus late fee. Please see all docs attached. I have never experienced this type of scam by an insurance company in my life. People need to be made aware of this because we were not told of the added charges prior to them charging our credit card. Our monthly payment was $71.86 and that’s exactly how long we had this insurance for. Now they want $96.46.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I got an RV insurance from National General Insurance and it was $20 cheaper than my previous provider. I did it all online when I submitted a claim and it was fairly easy but I had a hard time printing the documentation from my loan provider. Nevertheless, the amount of coverage provided by 2-10 was adequate. I went for what was required by my loan provider.

National General RV Insurance Company Information