Call toll free
4.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General RV Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

80 National General RV Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I had a Good Sam membership before, so I had National General for a brief period of time when I had my first RV. It was an older RV and I didn’t keep it. Then, I got this new RV and went with Geico for insurance and then Progressive was cheaper, so we went with them. Progressive then started being crazy wanting me to pay the whole payment upfront, so I went back to National General. They had better coverage for RVs anyway. Also, if Good Sam recommends them, they should be a decent company since Good Sam is an RV place. I was able to sign up with online, which is a plus. I don’t like to have to call if I don’t need to because I’ve got so much other stuff going on, so I was happy with it. Everything has been fine. They’re a little more expensive than my Progressive policy. But I’m not a multi-car and they’re not trying to make me pay all of it upfront.

Go get a quote from National General. It’s quick and you see everything. It’s not somebody on the other line just telling you you're covered. You’re actually choosing your coverages and that’s good because it has a lot of things that you may not have with another company that covers the RV like the travel reimbursement. It has got RV towing on there too.

Get expert buying tips about RV Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Our auto insurance company, Century-National, was a National General company. They offer multi-vehicle discounts but, surprisingly, their RV rates were a lot lower than what I was paying before, but their auto insurance rates were not. We went from 1,800 a year to 1,200 a year. The girl that sold me the policy was very well-informed about the product she was selling. She either had years of experience selling RV insurance or had some good training. She knew the right things to ask and the right things to tell me. I had just come off of five different phone calls with Auto Club who we had our previous insurance with. Literally, over three different days, they kept calling me back with different information as they got together and talked about it. I wanted to tell them they were really nice people but they need better training. It was really noticeable how well-informed the National General agent was compared to the Auto Club people I was dealing with.

The coverage is better than what we had before. All the basic coverage is the same but then they have zero deductible on windshield replacement. National General’s RV policy is really written for RVs. It’s not an auto policy template that they took and sold RV insurance off of. They also have diminishing deductibles, which Auto Club didn't have. Every year, your deductible goes down 25% if you have no claims and after four years, you have zero deductible. If you file a claim, it goes back to what your original deductible was. It was a last-minute thing because I wasn’t expecting much, but I was really surprised and I’m glad I called National General.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

According to the internet, National General is one of the insurance companies in North America that offers RV insurance for converted school buses, so we went with them and got an RV insurance. The reps got the work done quickly and well, and the interactions that we've had with them were very straight to the point. For a personalized vehicle like ours, the amount of coverage that was provided in our insurance plan worked out and was totally acceptable.

At first, I thought that National General had an online insurance like Freeway insurance that people get because they see it on TV, but it turned out that they are legit. Going into it, I was a little skeptical since they're not one of those major insurance brands with big names like AAA or Progressive. But so far, I've had a good experience with them and the coverage that they provided was adequate. I have yet to be in an accident to test out a few things, but let’s hope it never comes to that. All the same, I’ve recommended them to other people already. Anybody with a converted school bus should go with National General.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I have auto and RV insurance through National General and I’ve had them for five to seven years. I chose them for their price and the amount of coverage that’s provided on my plan right now is adequate. I have interacted with their customer service reps a few times when I’ve added a car or something and the experience was good. The first time we called, they were great. They answered my questions and took care of me well. I also had another interaction when I got a pamphlet in the mail saying that a homeowners combined all together would be a good discount so I tried to get a quote. But with the fact that I had a dog, they denied me instantly. I was perturbed about it. They judged me like everybody else which is unfair. So as long as you don’t have a dog, National General is a decent company.

Original review: June 8, 2018

National General had good reviews and another reason that I went with them was the coverage. I especially like the towing capability and with that added on, I don't have to pay for towing. It's also nice knowing that things are protected. But I've had both very positive and very negative experiences with their customer service representatives. When I first called, I had a bill for $2,000 that I wasn't expecting and it was apparently because of some paperwork I didn't send in. The original man I talked to on the phone was very condescending. He talked down to me as if I was always delinquent with paperwork.

But I would have never intentionally not handed that in. There could have been correspondence if there was something that I missed. Usually, they make you sign onto the website but I wish it could be sent in an email, although that probably infringes on confidentiality. Nonetheless, the last few people I have talked to on the phone have been so kind, helpful and patient in going through step-by-step everything that I needed to hand in so that the situation that happened originally wouldn't happen again. That made me stay with the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General RV Insurance?

Original review: May 15, 2019

So far, working with National General's reps has been good. However, I didn't check all the way with my primary insurance after I got my policy with them. I could have gotten the same policy with total replacement coverage for a little cheaper. Also, National General checks all the boxes. They offer coverages if you wanna pay more for extra packages. It'd be nicer if they had one that was just standard roadside service and towing instead of having much add-ons. Still, we're really excited as it'll be our first trip out with our vehicle and we're ready.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I got a plan from National General RV Insurance, and I paid my bill. My insurance plan's coverage is great, and it is super affordable too.

Original review: May 11, 2019

When I asked National General for a quote online, it was way high, so I didn’t like it. Then they contacted me and their rep set up a new quote. I liked it so I went ahead and purchased the warranty for my RV. They had a good price and coverage.

Original review: May 4, 2019

My experience with National General has been wonderful. I have a car and an RV insurance with them, and the amount of coverage provided is what was expected. I got what I paid for. When I get pulled over, I don’t feel like I’m gonna go to jail. And I have it on my phone, so if I can’t find the paperwork in my car, I can show it to them on my phone. So, that’s another plus. Also, my interactions with the customer service representatives has been great. The latest saleslady that I talked to on the phone was amazing. They need to give her a raise. We were laughing, and she’s a hoot.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We obtained insurance for our RV through National General Insurance. Other providers were extremely expensive, while National General had the best rates. The amount of coverage provided to us was comparable to everything else that we quoted and was a cheaper plan that covered the exact same thing. Everything was very similar to Progressive or any of the other insurance companies that we quoted. Our experience with National General has been good so far. It was really easy to get somebody on the line. Anytime we've called them with any questions or needed some information during our initial process, they were more than happy to give it. And anytime we had a question, we called them and we were directed to the correct person and could get our question answered.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Enrolling with National General was great and this is my first month with them. They're also the first insurance provider that I worked with for my RV and so far, my experience with them has been great. The amount of coverage of the insurance plan is good and It's what I needed.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've set up with National General RV Insurance online, and it was easy to navigate. Their rates were a tad lower than other insurance providers and the coverage that they provide is what we needed. And setting up with them didn't take long at all, maybe 20 minutes.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I went online and got National General Insurance for my RV. Their website was very nice and the amount I paid was reasonable. I've been with National General before but this time around, I'm not going through Good Sam Club. Everything I've experienced so far is good and I'm happy.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was with Allstate and I had a claim with the RV, but they wouldn’t insure it so I had to find another insurance company. I had great and fantastic interactions with the reps at National General so I switched to them. I haven’t used the insurance plan yet, but the coverage is good, so far.

Original review: March 8, 2019

The National General insurance is a little more expensive compared to my previous provider. But I like the concept of being able to put it on hold while you’re not using your RV. I had very good interactions with their reps and the amount of coverage provided in my insurance plan is very acceptable. I’m satisfied with them.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Based on the online reviews, I decided to go with National General RV Insurance. The amount of coverage provided in my plan is fine. I’ve dealt with strictly one person and she was fantastic. The details that she gave me was very thorough.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I love writing good reviews for people or companies that deserve it but today this is unfortunately not the case. My situation is that I fired National General Ins. for not responding to my inquiries also because they raised my rates without clearing it up with me. They claimed that they did but could not supply any evidence of such i.e. a signed agreement. It is normal that contracts and/or agreements are signed. National General feels that they can charge me $54 for firing them. They are calling it a cancellation fee.

Note: A cancellation fee is normally charged when damages to the company occurred i.e. if you cancel a reserved hotel room too late and the hotel can no longer rent the room out to somebody else then damages did occur. An ins. co. suffers no damages when you cancel a policy and even if they did if they were incompetent then their damages are a result of their own doings thus any fees to a customer are not justified. Needless to say be aware of this before you choose National General.

Furthermore if you are here reading because Good Sam Ins. Agency looking for RV insurance then be aware of the following… First let it be known that I was once an agent myself therefore I know what the job of an agent is. This is not an agency…they only sell! If you put your trust in them as an "Agent" you will be making a mistake in my opinion. They do not stand behind their sales! A real Agency investigates problems and pushes for correctness and fair trade. An Agency is a filter, they filter the good from the bad for their customers and if one of the companies they are selling does not treat a customer correctly then they assist their customer with massive pressure on the company not acting accordingly.

In my Agency I would review the customer’s case then after seeing that the customer is in fact being treated unfairly I would contact the company my agency has been selling and make it clear that if they do not correct the issue immediately then I would stop selling them to my customers. Cases were generally cleared up quickly… My pressure as an agent almost never failed, they got on the ball quick and corrected the issue. Why? Because conning a little customer works, the pros often outweigh the cons but when such companies try to con the customers of a good & serious agent then they are going to hurt because a good & serious agent is going to stop selling that company and that really hurts.

A good agent is worth his weight in gold because he has the power of many! I just found out the hard way that Good Sams Ins. "Agency(?)" does not stand behind their customers when a company they are selling is not acting accordingly. As a professional agent I do not recommend Good Sams' "so-called" agency. In my opinion it is an insult to the profession.

Original review: March 4, 2019

We canceled our policy on the 22nd of the month when we learned they would be doubling our policy cost because of a crack windshield. On the first of the next month they took out another month's payment even though they knew the policy was canceled. I asked for a refund and was told I wouldn't get it. That is unjust enrichment and these people need to go to jail for theft. I wouldn't touch this company again for anything. Beware, they will cheat you.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would definitely recommend National General RV Insurance. I am happy with the coverage provided on my insurance plan and I have had great interactions with their people.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I used to be with Nationwide and then I switched to National General and it's a little better. They helped me out with everything. The RV insurance of National General was very excellent.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

National General RV Insurance was pretty awesome. They were quick and they were the only company that would insure my RV in the whole country. Their rep followed up, got me the quote, and got me insured. It was at a great rate and they did a great job.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I shopped around for RV insurance and decided to go with National General for their price. The reps I spoke with were knowledgeable. We've had them for four years now, ever since we've had an RV. There was only one person who I dealt with that was laissez-faire, but for the most part, they were very helpful. I had to deal with them a lot lately because we traded in our old trailer and got a new trailer. And one thing that I found that was really odd was when I went to update our insurance through them, it was cheaper to initiate a whole new policy instead of just updating it. That was a pain but it was doable and I feel good about the coverage. Since all the insurance companies are pretty much along the line the same, people should do their homework and pick what’s usable for them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I can't believe Good Sam uses this company as third underwriter. My travel trailer was damaged in August of 2018 by hail. The hail storm was so bad that nearly every RV repair place was back up for months. I took it to a repair shop who could take care of it in a month. I talked with National General. They never told me about a preferred repair person or a max allowed hourly rate. Perhaps I am spoiled but I have never even heard of such a thing. After a month, I found out that my RV was still just sitting in the lot, untouched. Neither the shop nor National General decided to tell they could not agree on a labor rate. I called 4 other shops in the area. Parts were still not ordered. Other shops still had no space for me and third rate was the same as the shop it was in.

It's been almost three months and parts have finally arrived (not National General's fault). National General's rep handling case never contacts me. Does not respond to emails (she says she does not get them... But I reply to the one email she sent me). I am paying 150 dollars in labor fees out of pocket because I am done arguing. Apparently, I was supposed to take the expense quote (which I was never given) to all the shops in town and get in writing they could not do the job for that amount. Worst of all, I missed the entire fall RV season. Use USAA. I have them for auto insurance and have never had an hourly rate issue or major communication issues. I have successfully convinced two other RV users not to use National General (or Good Sam). I am writing Good Sam to explain why they are losing a customer (in all products).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I got an RV insurance from National General and so far, my interactions with them had been good. The amount of coverage has been good as well and I've been happy with my experience.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Had our RV stolen in Feb 2018 and was found 40 days later. National General had it taken to their preferred shop for an estimate of repair. Shop one sent a partial estimate for 20k which National General sent right away and marked claim closed. Made several calls to National General claims and the shop to find out claims don’t follow up and the shop took the money but never worked in repairs. So National General moved RV to shop number 2 where we had asked them to take originally but they would not pay for the additional miles.

Now they had to pay for it since shop 1 went out of business. It is now 9 months later and we still don’t have our RV. When contacting National General they have advised it is our responsibility to see that the repairs are done and get our RV back. In our opinion we think National General should follow thru with the repairs until their customer is satisfied and not just leave it up to insurer. They're quick to collect their money but no personal interaction when it comes to a claim. Hope they handle their Homeowner's policy better especially for those who have lost their homes.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I acquired a new motor home and I just wanted to get it insured for the winter. I got an RV insurance from National General. I didn't look into it a whole lot but just went on the price. I did everything online and their website worked just fine. So far, I've been happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I called the National General number and the rep gave me the details on what the coverage would be for my RV. It was adequate and we did it. He took my card through the phone and issued a policy.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

March 19 2018 we got caught in a hail storm in Cullman Alabama. This storm was so big it was declared natural disaster by federal authorities. The result from storm to our motorhome was at least 147 holes in roof, broken windshield, rained for 3 days so therefore rain soaked interior of RV. We had zero help from NG. They gave us no direction on how to handle damage or what to do next. After 3 days of nothing we had to drive over 600 miles home in damaged motorhome. Here it is almost October and we are neither repaired or salvaged. The only thing that has changed is big hole in ceiling where adjuster thought he could repair roof/ceiling. He claimed the TPO roof was no longer made however we proved to him it is being made.

This motorhome was made in 2016. Our premium for insurance has also gone up $200. The fair market value NG came up with is $7000 higher than what we had originally paid for it a year ago??? How can that be. No depreciation. Due to no progress at first repair shop we moved RV to manufacturer. The adjuster had estimate at first repair shop at $18000 for total repair. At this point and at no point yet has he even seen damages. The manufacturer has done estimate and there’s is a hands on estimate. Theirs is at $68,000. Nothing but frustration. 7 months and nothing has changed.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I got a new RV and obtained an insurance policy through National General. Their price for the coverage is good. I also had them for my old one following a referral from the dealership where I got my first RV. I've done all my interaction with them online except when we had the hurricane here in Southeastern Virginia. I got a couple of emails and a phone call from them with some tips and stuff about coverage to check out. All in all, the coverage was cool.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I just got an RV insurance from National General. I liked that I could suspend my insurance whenever I wanted to, so I went with them. I did everything online and the online process was great. They should have an auto-pay feature set up though. But other than that, the amount of coverage that was provided in my plan was good.

National General RV Insurance Company Information