Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance?

Original review: July 1, 2020

Customer service cordial and helpful. All good But then...you want to start claim process, request help reviewing what you are entitled to or get a response regarding Our benefits for durable equipments, home modifications and help in the home. Claims specialists have lack of knowledge, lack of empathy, lack of follow through. My husband has ALS. We spend so much time following up with them. They don’t return calls, drag their feet with answers and require unbelievable paperwork in our end.

At a time in life that you are at your lowest point Mutual of Omaha stone walls the Process. Opened claim in March 2020. July 1.... still no approval on ramp, life line, raised toilet or stair glide. All imperative for my husband’s safety. Please please stay clear of Mutual of Omaha. Paid 3000.00 a year for the past 12 years and this is how we are treated. Shame on you Mutual of Omaha.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Tina. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 29, 2020

My mother has a long term care policy that is supposed to cover assisted living expenses. I applied for her assisted living coverage in February 2020, and still no word on whether it is covered or not. I have called weekly for the past three weeks asking for the claims agent to call me back with an update. As of today, June 29th, I have yet to receive any kind of follow-up communication from the company. If you are shopping for LTC insurance, look elsewhere!

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Mark. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2020

We paid $201 premium for almost 3 years. Unfortunately, my husband got cancer, had tumor and some large and small intestines removed. He was very sick with chronic diarrhea, weakness, bloating, dizziness, headaches, incontinence, weight loss, leaking 9 inch incision. He required home care for 90 days. Help with bathing, dressing, movement, incontinence. He got out of hospital 3/15/20. I called Mutual of Omaha Claims the next day but didnt receive claims package for 2 weeks! They received our claim on 4/2/20, after many phone calls for information, we were denied our claim 6/24/20 based on comment of Primary Caregiver, not treating his cancer, but used to get referrals to cancer doctors treating my husband. I called many times to get information, was passed from customer service, to care coordinator, to cash benefit claim specialist with little information.

Even had care coordinator and care specialist both tell me to contact the other for information on my claim. During denial the phone call, I was told that medical records indicated my husband was "tolerating chemotherapy well" which was a shock because he NEVER had chemotherapy! He starts radiation in about 2 weeks which they didn't know yet. If he can't get approved for 90 day home care, I doubt anybody with this plan can. Don't waste your money in this so called insurance policy. It's a money maker for Mutual of Omaha, not peace of mind for policy holders. Tip: Make SURE your doctor documents in the medical records ALL applicable Activities of Daily Living located on page 1 of your policy. I feel like these claims people are looking for their buzz words and not using common sense to evaluate patients that are suffering through a horrible illness during this pandemic. God Bless to you and your ill loved ones...

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Yolanda. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Do not waste your time with this insurance. Every time I call to speak with a Claims Coordinator, the wait time is at least an hour. They are VERY slow to pay and say that it takes a 20 day processing time to cut a check once they receive all the information they need for that month "because they are short staffed". So the customer suffers because of their bad management or lack of knowledge on Customer Service. Again, do not waste your time with this company as you will be wasting A LOT more of your time on the phone trying to get assistance AND don't expect prompt payments!! So disappointed for my elderly parents having to go thru this.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Beth. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We were able to collect benefits for Dad while he could remain at home receiving needed assistance. It was paperwork intensive, but we were paid. He's passed. Now 88 year old Mom makes a claim for benefits at an Assisted Living Facility where she receives the same services Dad was getting at home, DENIED. Assisted Living Facilities didn't exist 30 years ago when the policies were purchased, and there's no more more cost involved at an Assisted Living Facility than a Nursing Care Facility. The same daily limits apply, neither covers all costs. The denial is arbitrary. Should we stop paying premiums now since Mutual of Omaha has found a loophole? Very disappointing. I feel the worst for those elderly that have no advocates! Thank You.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My parents purchased a long term care policy from Mutual of Omaha years and years ago. Mom passed away and never had a chance to use the benefits. Dad went into assisted living and knowing that they pay in arrears, I had prepared myself for that. So, here we are in February, 2019 and they have not paid the claim for DECEMBER. It has been consistently like this every month and I wear myself out calling them. They even go as far as to say they have the claim, but it is in "review". Every. Month. What a joke. If you want to be on the phone continually, I suppose the policy would be worth it, but I would never recommend them to anyone.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Al. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to get some more information so we can look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Mutual of Omaha has been pulling money out of my dad's checking account for 4 months for someone else's policy and they are refusing to research how it has happened and has refused to refund him his money. He does have a policy with you but it is paid from a different account. This is poor business ethics from the company when they refuse to try to correct their mistake. I am going to report them to the BBB and I will also be seeing what can be done legally as well for my dad.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Kay. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Mutual of Omaha is very polite when they sell you this policy. My mom paid $120 a month for 7 years. When we finally needed it, they stall you with paperwork and do not return calls and hopes you give up. We opened a claim before my mom passed in March of 2018. They never did return our calls or follow up on the claim at all. We continued to have to call them every time. We have been reassigned to multiple people over the past 6 months. They claim it's still under review. I seriously doubt we will get a Don out of this policy and sadly my mom is already passed away and was unable to exercise any of the care she needed when we open the claim. Very dishonest company and plan to report it to the Louisiana insurance commissioner.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance response

Hi, Charles. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

This review is lengthy so if you are considering their LTC and you are young please read to the end. You or your care givers may have difficulty getting your claims paid. My mom purchased LTC from another company in 1986 when she was 62. In 1991 Mutual of Omaha took over her policy and was suppose to pay claims on this policy. Fast forward 22 years and at 90 my mom fell and started the year long decline in health.

She paid $28 a month since 1986 without a missed payment. In those days insurance companies under priced LTC due to lack of experience with this product. Today I pay $250 a month from another company because they now know how costly senior care is. In January of 2015 mom fell and that started her frequent visits to the hospital and in all five skilled nursing homes. She passed in December of 2015.

From the very beginning in dealing with Mutual of Omaha we experienced nothing, but mistakes and stall tactics. I was told by my trust lawyer that it is typical for this to happen with some LTC companies and Mutual of Omaha because they don't want to pay claims. They figure if they make it hard enough for you to get paid you will just give up. If you have had a death in your family, you know the paperwork is tremendous. Some think to constantly deal with getting one company to live up to its promises is just not worth the hassle. Mom needed the money so I had to persist. And believe it or not after 30 months I still am dealing with Mutual of Omaha paying a claim.

I have had to do a lot of the claims analyst's work like get proof of her hospital stays and send her medical records to them because they didn't actually request them. These are all stall tactics to make you give up. After 30 months of dealing with Mutual of Omaha I have finally decided to take them to small claims court. I am waiting for my court date and have had several letters from their lawyer, but nothing has been decided yet.

If you choose to buy Mutual of Omaha Long Term Insurance expect to be greeted by very friendly sales people until you sign on the dotted line. If you need to make claims in the near future or many years down the line expect stall tactics like lengthy waits for your money and to do a lot of the leg work. I wish I had better things to say about Mutual of Omaha, unfortunately it is buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

They have great customer service. They want to make sure you and your loved ones have everything you will need. They go out of their way to satisfied you. In addition, the policy options are wonderful. You get so many choices and it is so amazing. I could not believe it until I seen it. Everyone should try it out. The coverage is very great. If you ask you can get coverage for it. Also, the perceived value is wonderful. Everyone should be able to afford it. You will get your money's worth. Give it a try. You will love it. No joke.

Mutual of Omaha Long Term Care Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha offers customizable insurance products, including life, long-term care, disability and Medicare supplements.

• Quick access to benefits: Mutual of Omaha counts calendar days instead of service days during the elimination period.

• Flexible insurance plans: Standard benefits include a waiver of premium and care coordination coverage. Choose from a variety of long-term care insurance plans with optional benefits like inflation protection and cash alternative payout. Individuals can buy coverage through their employer at a discounted rate.

• In-home care options: Mutual of Omaha helps seniors and those needing long-term care needs maintain as much independence as possible by including in-home care and assisted living options

• Additional products and services: Disability and accident insurance plans can help insure policyholders who are injured or disabled receive income during a long recovery period. Get insured against critical illness, cancer, heart attack and stroke. Mutual of Omaha also handles banking needs, life insurance, annuities and other financial planning.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor