Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

Compare Long Term Care Insurance Providers

Research top Long Term Care Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called to set up a reassessment for my husband (policy #**). I waited for about 10 minutes and then was given a message that they would call me back. I left my # (They said wait time would be approximately 45 minutes). They called back in about 35 minutes but then was given a message (hold for the next available person or call back at a later time. Why would I have to call back at a later time). After about 7 minutes I spoke to William and he said he would transfer me to the correct department. I asked how long I would have to wait. He told me "just seconds".

I proceeded to wait about another 10 minutes when a Steve came on the line and attempted to assist me. I doubt he knew what he was doing. I asked him how long he had been with the company. He didn't answer and after several minutes he figured out what he needed to do. I AGAIN asked him how long he had been with TransAmerica. Rather than answer he said "A little while". I said, "Does that mean 1 day or what". He finally said about a year (which I doubt) as he had to read the policy to figure out what was covered or what was not. He was very inept and I should have asked to speak to someone else who might know what they were doing.

I could hear a woman in the background helping someone and she seemed to know what she was doing. We have paid premiums for many, many years and when I call I get the run-around. I think someone should check on the customer service employees and have an extensive training program. I was on the phone for over a hour just to set up a simple appointment. The last time my husband had been assessed the appointment was set within minutes because I spoke to a person qualified to help.

I purchased this long term policy several years ago. My first and only claim was for a home monitor system after my doctor made the suggestion because of a stroke and living alone. The claim was filed in December 2016. It's now almost March. They found every excuse in the world to avoid paying. A copy of my receipt was not enough. They wanted a copy of my payment receipt. A prescription from my doctor was still not enough. They required a nurse to make a home visit. Still when I called after waiting on the phone for over 2 hours. I spoke to a very polite customer service representative. Finally they approved the claim and will send a letter. They will eventually sent a check. What a disappointment this company is They will try not to pay any way they can.

I broke my foot and ankle on December 20th. I had to miss work and filed a claim to Transamerica. They repeatedly denied that they received all the required faxes and gave me the run around. After threatening to file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner they sent my payment and admitted receiving the faxes 4 times. Now it's time for my second payment and around we go again! They claim a fax from my doctor was never received. I checked with the doctor's office and it was faxed. They treat me like an idiot when I call and I have had enough! I am going to file a complain with their state's insurance commissioner tomorrow. Please do not do business with this company!

My parents purchased a long term health insurance policy back in 1994. It subsequently got bought out by Transamerica. The benefits were supposed to include Home Health Care, Assisted Living, and Nursing Home. We moved both parents into an assisted living in September 2016. The Assisted Living Care Center bills the family and then we are to turn the bills into Transamerica to be reimbursed for. The first 3 bills came back as "Elimination Period not reached". When I called to ask TA about it they said there is a 90 day elimination period that is not covered - I cannot locate this in the policy. Now that the 90 day period is up they are still declining to pay for the bills stating they do not pay "rent, TV or phone", the majority of these bills are for rent, around $2000 - rent includes all the 24/7 hour care, med set up, med passes, food and meal preparation, help bathing, dressing, reminders. This part of the bill is getting declined.

They just keep stringing us along saying we have not sent in the right forms (which I have done 3 times now) or something else needs to be re-signed and dated. Their customer service is absolutely terrible, a 30 minute wait to talk to anyone and if they transfer you then another 30 to 45 minute wait to talk to the next person. Very frustrating. They say they are eligible for $98.00 a day for assisted living (and have been accepted, along with the Assisted Living Place) and around $200.00 a day for nursing home. We are taking all information to an attorney hoping to get some kind of response from TA. We are interested in filing a class action lawsuit against this company. It sounds like there are a lot of people out there that are having the same problem.

Transamerica had no problem taking money for $1500 month for 24 months for long term insurance. Now it's time for me to get the payment it becomes an issue. They find anything not to pay. I'm just sick of it. I've taken the papers to the doctor and when they receive it they send me the same papers again but keep adding and looking for ** just so they do not have to pay! Never ever again. Bills have to be paid and they withhold your money. No stars in my book. Just awful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

The payments from Sally's policy were being paid when the amount claimed was for a small amount. When I was providing about 90% of the care the policy paid for a sitter 12 hours a week, split among 3 days. I had my own health crisis and was in ER and ICU for several days, then transferred to standard hospital bed. During that episode Sally had 3 caregivers for round the clock care. I have just received notice that Transamerica will not pay 60% of the claim because the care received exceeds the amount of care approved. In reading the other reviews on this site I am struck by the division between good and bad reviews. The good reviews reference treatment during the purchase phase of doing business with the insurance company. The bad reviews are from people trying collect benefits due them from their policy. I wonder how well the company will fare in a jury trial over their denial of benefits practices.

Easy to contact and professional agents. Very willing to clearly explain benefits and answer questions for me. Also very good at helping me file the proper paperwork to start benefits administration. If and when I am disabled, they will pay 60 percent of my annual base salary for a period of one month up to 40 years until I die or live to social security. My insurance coverage is good for any and all accidental injuries that keep me from being able to perform my job. I must be off work for 30 days before my benefits begin. My monthly premiums are pretty low and are easily worth the protection that is afforded my family and myself. Additionally, the side benefits from the policy are a bonus to anything provided by other vendors.

These people are horrific. They have been paid tens of thousands in premiums over the years and now refuse to pay anything. They ask for the same paperwork over and over again. They try to confuse the issue by lying about what the policy covers. Frankly it reminds me of the Grisham book, Rainmaker. I suspect this is all policy within the company. That is primarily the elderly grieving spouse that has to deal with this, makes the company predators and low lives. Do not buy any policy from this company.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY!!! My husband got injured and had to be on light duty for 4 months. I submitted all the paperwork after he had surgery and they kept telling me my husband's injury was not covered. EVERYTIME I called, I got a different story on what was covered. They have been stalling like crazy and I have called customer service OVER 20 times!!! So far we have received $50 here, $50 there. They still owe us over $2,000. They are a joke!

Have been trying since late May to get a LTC claim established for my 92 year old father who is living in a skilled nursing care center. They sent a retired nurse to visit him, get signatures and complete forms only to send the same things in the mail for him to do again. It took two letters and a phone call to get his mailing address changed. We did have issues with the nursing home faxing his monthly statements to the Medical records fax number instead of the claims number. Obviously those two departments don't talk to each other. After getting confirmation via a form letter that the monthly statements were received he still hasn't received any money. I don't understand why I have to keep calling to try and get something to happen to no avail. I can't believe this company is on a list of top 11 companies. There must only be 11 selling long term care insurance. My next call is to the state insurance department.

I'm sure I could get very annoying with all my questions and concerns and everyone who's helped me is always so nice and patient with me. They're different. Took me some getting used to but now that I understand it I enjoy it quite theorly. I'm very satisfied with my service all around. Couldn't be any better. They are all about their clients and customers. I'm so pleased to have the honor in being a client. Never have I had an issue. Fantastic great customer service. Happy patient experience is valuable. Lovely. My type of money saver. My favorite product by far. I refer to everyone I know.

It feels like they actually care about me. They listen to my problems and help me the best they can. They are always patient and understanding with me. It's written in easy to understand phrases and words. It is fair and concise. And explains to me exactly what they do and do not do. Their help line is always willing to help me with any questions I have on it. I have had no problems that they do not cover. Their rates are fair and within my budget. I get a letter regularly telling me how much my part of the payment is, and how much it cost all together. Again, it fits well within my budget. It covers all my expenses and leaves me with peace of mind that I won't end up paying too much for my care.

Very helpful and fast customer service. Had several questions and they were very knowledgeable. I am now assured that I am in the best of hands. Many different policy options to get you the desired coverage you need. They have something for everyone out there whether you want a little or a lot. They have many different types of coverage that would be great for anyone and everyone, whether it be term life, long term, whole life, variable universal life, or even final expense life. The value of having any one of these plans are priceless. They have many different options to satisfy anyone's choice. Great choices and friendly customer service reps to get you there.

They were very helpful when I had questions. They made sure I understood everything they had to say. They didn't use any of their big words that no one understands. Their different policy options are explained to you in detail by the representative and they are super helpful in helping you figure out which one is right for you. Their coverage is amazing. It seems to cover just about anything and everything you can imagine. The representative is very helpful with walking you through what they do or do not cover. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone because they are so helpful and friendly. The representative is very knowledgeable and very friendly.

I found the customer service to be absolutely horrible. They are not helpful whatsoever. The specific "customer service representative" that I spoke with was lacking an education, patience, and general common sense. I was pulling my hair out dealing with them. The policy options are definitely a joke. There is what you call overpaying for the product which is the position I am in now. And what makes it harder is the lack of options I get. Coverage equals... Well nothing. Because that's basically what you are getting from them. Which is an absolute shame and rip off seeing all the money I am paying to them. The value is absolute crap. As I stated before there is nothing I like about this at all. Nothing at all. Period. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Customer service is great. They are so wonderful and helpful. They also have a 24-hour hotline to call anytime you have any questions or concerns. The policy is great for people of all ages. It's a great deal and isn't too much money. Covers most of what you might need it for too. Great insurance. Definitely will recommend. It takes care of my everyday needs. I'm uber satisfied with my choice in choosing this specific insurance. I love it. I'll recommend to anybody that asks about it or need insurance period. Definitely won't be disappointed and very well worth the money that you have to pay.

My wife got cancer two years ago. I was in really bad situation - just let you know Transamerica provided a good service and also as long as my plan was FFIOL I got about %6 in average for the money I paid in to the saving that is available mixed with Long Term Care in FFIOL.

My claim was taken care of very fast. It took less than a week and 2 phone calls and everything was taken care of. I've never had not 1 complaint about the customer service I have experienced. I had no problems with any of the policy details as such I've had with other insurance companies. Anytime I needed to use my insurance I haven't had been disappointed with not one instance. Very pleasant to deal with. I currently have the most coverage I could acquire due tomorrow on a previous medical condition... which a lot of other companies would not accept or cover me for. The coverage is invaluable. I couldn't be happier with my experiences with the company nor can I put a value on the service I've experienced.

The customer service was fantastic by far. The only thing I can say is that they were so helpful. Any questions I had they were there to answer and help. Overall I had such a wonderful and inviting experience. The policy options were so pleasant. I wouldn't change them for anything. Everything was very concise and thorough. It describe what was expected and was easy to follow. My coverage is fantastic. I would recommend to anyone. This is great and I feel like I have great coverage and can go anywhere with anything. The coverage is completely what I need. The value is completely worth the money. The only thing that was disappointing was that more people don't have it. The value is worth every penny. I am covered with everything and value is key.

My husband was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer almost 9 months ago. Transamerica has been asking us to submit forms EVERY month to determine his eligibility for disability in spite of the doctor's repeated information on the claim form that he can never return to work. He has been given 1-2 years to live and we would like to focus on keeping him alive for as long as possible, not fighting to pay bills. Like other people who have been complaining, my husband paid into this policy for years and now that he is trying to get paid it's been a real struggle.

MTA is no better. He has been an employee of New York City Transit for over 20 years and yet, we haven't received consistent disability payments from them. He submitted (for the 2nd or 3rd time, no less) a request for his 60% supplemental pay at the end of June and still no payment!! Then MTA has the nerve to send us a letter stating if he doesn't file for retirement within a year, they will terminate him with no benefits. I'm at my wits' end right now. Looking for legal recourse if this doesn't change soon. I'm tired.

I've been told housekeeping services weren't covered. I found out they are in my mother's policy then they told me the services had to be supplied by a licensed company but there weren't any in her area. My mother's policy covers unlicensed people. Now I've been waiting three weeks to hear back from them about the claim I opened. My parents paid tens of thousands of dollars in premiums and can't get a penny back when my mother needs it. After reading over my mother's policy and seeing how much they paid in premiums I will never get a long term policy. They are a big ripoff of older people and should be outlawed. It's a disgrace that companies prey on elderly people like my parents.

Decent customer service. Not the most friendly of customer service but not horrible. Sometimes difficult to get thru to a real person. Other than that it's ok. Simple and easy to understand - I didn't have any trouble finding exactly what fit me and my family needs were met easy. Wish it had a more affordable option. I would recommend this company to friends and family and have before because it's a company that I trust and believe has a good foundation of trust with all of its customers. The value is alright. I wish it was more affordable but like I said before sometimes you have to pay more for better and this is the best I have found so far.

Customer service is very helpful and I found them to generally be hassle free. Never had any issues in dealing with them over the phone unlike most other companies. I never had to hold for long periods of time or wait that long to get through to a representative. They offer a broad range of policy options to choose from that allows to customize to best suit your needs and preferences. They aren't as cheap as other companies but it is still affordable coverage. I am satisfied with the value of the coverage I am receiving. Their coverage options allowed me to choose the plan that I wanted based on my preferences, needs and budget.

The "long term care" products sold by this company are a total rip off. The company is all sales and marketing and no service or payments. Be sure you read beyond the fine print. After paying $15k a year for over 10 years, their product is basically worthless, and they will not pay.

Transamerica is the worse insurance provider I have ever dealt with. My parent paid into this policy for years. My mother is now in an assisted living facility. You literally have to call them every month at least once to get paid regardless how you well and timely you provide the information. It's amazing that every time I call they say "your check is being processed and it will mail the next business day" and when I remind them of what their commitment to me was last month they say "that was inaccurate information". The care facility is really good about faxing them the invoices when they need to be sent and it still doesn't help. My mom has been there going on 7 months and I have had to call every month at least once to get anything from them. It's as close to a scam as you can get.

Transamerica Long Term Care is the worst experience that I have ever had in my entire life. She has had a triple bypass, intestine polyps section removed, hip replacement, and hand surgery. It was my mother's policy that was sold to her by my brother years ago. She has wasted thousands of dollars in premiums. The final decision without question was to let the policy lapse. After four months of just submitting the claim, and the claim being denied, then resubmitting and no response. Do not purchase anything from these low life characters. You will also find that it is not worth having, even if they paid. Took brother out of her will, and I want to share. He still thinks it is great. He lost everything he put into his policy, and his wife. The company he had went broke, and just think of the countless people he has sold this to. Go State Insurance Commission.

I called a few weeks prior to stop having funds transferred into my 401k. I provided all the basic details name, date of birth, address and such. I was told that when I left my employer I could call in and cash out my savings account. Today when I called to withdrawal the 401k, I was told my birth date did not match and that my account would be put on a legal hold until I faxed a copy of my driver's license to them. When I asked about how I was able to make financially impacting decisions before, I was told they were unsure and that they could try to have the call pulled if, and it was a very big if, it had been recorded. I called a lawyer and made a formal complaint to the BBB.

Like everyone else, my family member needed medical help that she paid premiums for over twenty years. Transamerica does honor their policy agreements and the customer service reps are VERY nice and understanding. However, they delay paying claims as much as they can, and do not have enough staff to answer the phones. They used to allow you to leave your phone number and they would call you back. Now, it is not uncommon to wait, on hold, for almost two hours. That is inexcusable. What is this where they only pay claims one day a month? It is obvious that their administration does not care.

Trying to get my mother's claim for benefits approved was a nightmare. Every week I had to send more records, care notes, invoices, and documentation. Somehow a 90 day elimination period lasted 200 days sitting on hold for hours just to see if they received a fax! Just a nightmare. I waited 11 months just to receive a denial letter from them, stating that my mother with dementia had not validated her need for care! Insane! She has paid premiums for this policy for 23 years! I am GRATEFUL I called a company to appeal the denial and get my mother her owed benefits. If it wasn't for ClaimJockey dealing with the insurance company and getting an approval, I don't know what I would have done. Sold my house I guess!

After my father died in 2000 my mother opened a Long Term Care policy through her financial advisor with Transamerica. She has paid into this policy for 15 yrs and always paid the full amount of premium on time every year. Now, when she needs the policy reimbursement for a licensed, state approved Assisted Living facility, they make it impossible to get a reimbursement payment. We have completed ALL the requirements, approvals, interviews and observed their instructions (per their written letters) to date.

We paid the first 90 days out of pocket, when in all reality ends up to be 120 days out of pocket, due to their constant and neglectful documentation in letters. It's always after the fact. I have NEVER seen an organization so inept and blatantly ignorant to a senior citizen's needs. Their accounting dept and claims dept are all done manually, 10-15 days (as stated in their written documentation) processing time is actually 30 days.

For an insurance company of this size to be SO behind the times, deal with large sums of money, it's a battle to pay out every single month. Not to mention, there is never a resolution for the amount of time one waits to get a resolution, payment, or valid reasoning to the delay. I could not imagine any senior citizen trying to deal with this company. I find it to be highly disrespectful, EXTREMELY poor business ethics and downright despicable to their policy holders and family trying to help. I would NEVER recommend Transamerica to anyone, EVER, for ANY insurance policy. Shame on you, Transamerica!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Transamerica offers a range of services that go well beyond insurance products. The company is a leading financial services company and offers everything from investment advice to insurance.

• Nationwide services: Transamerica writes policies in every U.S. state.
  • Long-term care is a family discussion: They understand the need for family involvement in end-of-life care decisions and engage all members in the decision-making process.
  • Cost calculator: Before deciding on any insurance product, it's important to learn about cost vs. savings, which Transamerica provides using their cost of care and life expectancy calculators.
  • Learning center: Transamerica offers a learning center on its website to provide consumers with resources about insurance and the other services they offer.
  • All-in-one health insurer: In addition to their long-term care insurance products, Transamerica also offers a variety of life insurance products, Medicare solutions, accidental death insurance and even final expense coverage.
  • Best for Parents, retirees and the elderly.

Compare Long Term Care Insurance