Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

3.7/5 (108 ratings)

About Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

Transamerica sells term and permanent life insurance, including whole and universal policies. Coverage for its term life insurance is up to $10 million, and permanent life insurance coverage is up to $2 million. Transamerica accepts applications from anyone between 18 and 80, with term coverage extending up to 90 years old. Consumers can add multiple riders to their policies, including accidental death or disability coverage.

Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

TransAmerica does not pay out for long term assisted living. Read the reviews and talk to people that are receiving payments from TransAmerica for assisted living costs – if you can find anyone who is actually getting paid. Before spending tens of thousands of dollars, thinking the money you paid into Long Term Care Insurance will ease the high cost of assisted living expenses, do your research. Don’t put yourself in my mom's position. She paid her premiums, year after year, thinking when she can’t live by herself anymore, she could go into assisted living and use the money she paid into the policy to help support her care during her last years with us. My mom is 96 and paid $67,000 into her long term care policy.

When my mom moved into an assisted living facility, costing $5300/month, we followed all the requests given by TransAmerica to meet the policy requirements for claim approval. Today the claim remains rejected, after an appeal, because the inadequate assessment and opinion of the TransAmerica nurse that visited my mom trumps the doctor's assessment as well as the assessment given by the assisted living facility that spent months monitoring my mom.

Part of the TransAmerica claim process is to send a nurse to do a physical and mental assessment. During that assessment, the nurse noted that my mom needed help bathing because she could not reach her feet. She went on to explain that she had patients that could not properly wash their feet and had serious problems involving hospitalization. The assessment also involved assessing my mom’s ability to get dressed and her memory. The nurse asked my mom questions about getting dressed but did not watch her perform those tasks. She also asked my mom to remember a few words over a couple minute time span, which my mom, at the time, was able to do.

In response to the TransAmerica assessment, along with the assessments done by her primary care physician and the assisted living facility nursing staff, it was obvious my 96 year old mom does not have the flexibility to properly care for her feet. With that, we started paying the assisted living facility to help my mom shower and get dressed – mainly putting on socks, pants and shoes of to avoid a fall. The need for this type of help clearly meets her policy requirements. TransAmerica, however, claims that although their nurse said she needs assistance showering, the nurse did not say she needed help getting dressed, even though she was adamant that my mom could not reach her feet.

Apparently, the nurse does not realize the need for socks and shoes, or putting on a pair of pants. And the metal assessment did not show the nurse that my mom gets easily confused and forgets things that happened less than 30 minutes prior – yet the nurse felt my mom's mind is fine. And that inadequate assessment cost my 96 year old mom $67,000 and is leaving her with the responsibility of paying $5300 every month of her remaining years – or until our money runs out.

My goal here is to educate. If you read this far and still have doubts about my story, email me at **. I can send you my mom's policy contract, the letters sent by me and TransAmerica and the Doctor's assessment. This is real, and the time to prepare for end of life is not at the end of life, because there is no recourse. The money is theirs, no matter where you have to go when the rest of your money runs out.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

My 90 & 92 year old parents have been paying top premiums to Transamerica Long Term Health Care insurance for around 40 years. When they purchased this policy they assured us that they would be completely covered when they needed it. We are now being put through the ringing spending all of our time trying to jump through their ridiculous loops to procure payment.

Long waits on hold, long senseless conversations with phone puppets, promises to send needed paperwork by snail mail, requesting faxes and mailed forms, saying they haven’t received proper forms, sometimes they email, but say they don’t, caregiver timesheets that are unbelievably difficult to navigate and impossible for most caregiver educations, seriously elder abusive for the 90 + year old trying to get reimbursed for there crystal clear need to be cared for. We have tried to start this process a few times to only be driven into discontinuing the exorbitant amount of forms and lies because of the stress it causes. Next stop is an elder law attorney. Anyone have a suggestion or experience suing this dirt ball company to get deserved funds paid? We are in contact with the California Insurance Commission fraud department. Their response is slow but they are researching complaint. HELP!

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Any supplemental insurance policy that you have with TransAmerica is junk. I had three policies and when I was really really sick, they came up with every excuse under the sun to not cover me. All three policies are junk.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I know it's been said by other reviewers but this company is truly dreadful. They clearly do not want to pay benefits to elderly and sick patients. It's a joke how bad they are. You will spend hours on hold on the phone on hold trying to collect from them. When a patient has to go to the hospital from a long term care facility, they will drop the benefits and you have to start all over again. No way to contact them other than by phone and they like it that way of course. They want you to give up. I don't understand how they can have so many stars - must be people who work there who were paid to rate them. Waste of money!

Original review: June 24, 2022

My mom purchased her policy 27 years ago from Bankers Life and Transamerica acquired it years later. Transamerica has, unfortunately, not embraced technology and still only relies on phone calls, fax, and letters to communicate to policyholders and the authorized representatives. Faxes don't always work due to "volume", letters to the policyholder & POA are intentionally vague, and you will wait on hold for hours at a time only to be disconnected IF you reach a live representative. I have made over 20+ phones calls (waited on hold and most not returned), wrote letters, only to arrive at a conclusion that could have been reached over 10 months ago. I would NEVER recommend this company.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Where to begin? There are no words! This company is not going to be there when it's time to collect. Please know that as of March 2021, Transamerica has even discontinued offering their long term insurance product. Things have gone "that" well!!! Transamerica will strategically wear you down, shift the documentation you need to produce, lose them, and bounce you around on a never-ending trail of phone calls. It is deliberate and pervasive. And they will deny your claim and you have absolutely no recourse but to wait 3 whole months before appealing! We have not been denied yet because our claim has not been able to be determined. A full time job for this caretaker daughter, from the end of March 2022 through mid June 2022. Just look for the multitude of complaints written about them on Retirement Living.com. We need to begin a class action suit to this fraudulent company!!! The evidence is overwhelming!! Read our frustration!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My mother was moved into Memory Care from Assisted Living on August 23, 2021 in the SAME facility. I have called multiple times always getting a representative that seems to not be able to connect me with their supervisor regarding her monthly check that she has received for over 7 years and is now being told she must pay premiums or her policy may lapse if we as the family don't pay the fees! We have only received her check through August 22.

Due to her "change in condition" and her move to a new room, I was initially told that a "new" claim would need to be filed and APPROVED by the eligibility department. Documentation was also required by the facility. Then an assessment was required which took nearly a month to have someone come in to see Mom. The individual had MANY papers to fill out detailing out Mom's medical history (which they already have!) My mother has dementia and could not remember details of past surgeries much less the town she lives in. The assessment even included a "test" of memory that has been done by her neurologist. Her memory is failing! Therefore, her move to Memory Care.

I was told by one representative that once they had the assessment they could expedite the claim. The next representative told me they could not. We are still waiting on the check. I have spoken with Thomas, Adrian, Matthew, Omartalia and Nessa over the past 2 months. One told me that Transamerica has to make sure the facility is an approved one. It is the SAME facility!!

The latest news was from Thomas who said on 11/18 that the assessment has been received and is now being reviewed. It could take up to 10 business days BEFORE approval. He then asked me why it was taking so long? Did we not tell them? He was putting the blame back on us. We had no idea that we had to let Transamerica know that she was moving rooms within the same facility. I called when we only received a partial check for the month of August and was told a letter had been sent to us notifying us to start paying her premium again while the policy was under review. Thomas did finally agree to send an email to the eligibility department to ask if they can speed the process up for us.

The original letter from Transamerica stating their need for documentation from the facility was supposedly mailed on September 29. However, the letter we received was actually dated October 11. We now have a new letter saying the premiums must be paid up to date by January. We are still waiting. Meanwhile, the burden lays on the family to pay her monthly bill for memory care. Mom paid for YEARS on her policy assuming she would be financially able to receive the care she needs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

This department has been sold several times since I started the policy and now Transamerica holds my account. Their internal policy makes it impossible for a customer to speak to anyone who has the authority to make a decisions. They cannot transfer the customer to the corporate offices or to any manager. The standard answer is, "We will forward this up the line and someone will call you back," which never happens. The average hold time to speak to an agent is 30 minutes which includes the time to run through their list of possible solutions.

While on hold they offer many times the solution to call back later which only adds to total time on hold. A caring company who will hot hire enough people to handle the phone traffic would add the "we will call you back option, you will not lose you place in line" service. It is totally apparent that this company does NOT CARE about its clients. I am sure they have never visited this site and read the reviews here. I have never seen so many one * star responses from clients as are recorded here. If you are considering any LONG CARE POLICIES I would avoid at all cost this UNCARING company.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I am curious why this site gives a 3.8 star rating when down the line the reviews are one star. I am adding another one-star review. My experience with TransAmerica is quite possibly the worst I've ever had with any company. My mother has dementia and is receiving care at an assisted living care center. There is no way she could safely live on her own at this point. She legitimately needs long-term care. We have been trying to collect on her long-term care policy since May 2020. It is now July 2021. After writing letter upon letter, being put on hold for hours upon hours this last year, and obtaining stacks of required documentation, I have gotten nowhere. They have denied my mother twice. We are now submitting the claim all over again.

My mother is supposed to get another assessment before they make a determination on her eligibility. I had to take a break for a few months because they had worn me down and I had to take a break. In fact, I'm sure many do give up and never receive coverage. If an elderly person did not have an advocate, it would be impossible to navigate the frustrating process of getting coverage. I do draw some comfort in reading the other reviews on this site, knowing I am not alone. I have had the same frustrations of not being able to use e-mail and having to communicate by snail mail. Otherwise, I am put on hold for hours with their automated phone line system. If my mother is denied a third time, the next letter will be from my mother's attorney.

Original review: June 27, 2021

It's time for Transamerica (TA) and Long Term Care Group (LTCG) to be investigated by the government and the media. Something is terribly off with this company. The stories are all the same, as is my parents experience trying to collect benefits. Denials/reversals of long standing claims/benefits and increased difficulty in communicating with a company that doesn't want to be communicated with. Delaying tactics, no website, no email, never receive faxes, never sign their letters, extensive wait times on the phone - all obstructive tactics to deny claims. After five years of receiving benefits my mother was denied by LTCG as if she was miraculously healed of her dementia and spinal issues that we both getting progressively worse and required full time care.

I'd like to offer some advice:

-FAX & USPS don't work - they deny receiving it. SEND ALL MAIL "PRIORITY MAIL" REQUESTING A SIGNATURE. This is the only way you can track on your computer they received it and they can't deny it.
    -Want to talk to a person whose name you have? CALL 972-881-6000

-contact Mark W. Mullin, Chairman of the Board

Unfortunately, my mother has passed and never did receive all the benefits she was contractually entitled to. Shame on you Transamerica and LTCG for your elder abuse!

Transamerica author review by Matthew Brodsky

Transamerica offers a variety of life insurance and products for retirement solutions, mutual funds, annuities and employee benefits.

• Long-term care coverage: The company’s plans cover in-home care, assisted living/adult day care, nursing home, respite, hospice and medical help systems.

• Supplemental insurance: Select from a variety of plans to cover costs associated with nursing home facilities and home health care. Get coverage at any age with a three-year automatic rate guarantee.

• Learning center: Transamerica offers a learning center on its website to provide consumers with resources about insurance and the other services the business offers.

• Cost calculator: Transamerica provides free tools to project the cost of care over your lifetime.

• Transamerica app: Through the app, you can track your retirement account and manage your financial wellness.

• Nationwide services: Transamerica writes policies in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor