Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 46 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

47 Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My mother and stepfather are having the same exact issues that all of you are having about trying to get claims reimbursed for money that our parents are paying out of their small saving because they thought they had Long Term Care but are having so much trouble getting their claims paid. We have been trying to work with Transamerica for 1 year now to get my mom reimbursed for all the money she has had to pay out to an assisted living facility for my stepfather. They say they never received the paperwork, or they received the paperwork but it was filled out wrong, or your request is being processed, or you should receive your check in about a week. The latest is now, "We believe the assisted living faculty you have your husband in is really a nursing home and those do not qualify!". It is not and they now have told my mother she would have to open a dispute case to challenge them and it is going to take about 3 months!

These people at Transamerica should be put in prison. My parents have never missed a payment for their two policies and it states that if they ever did their policies would be canceled! We should all get together and start a class action lawsuit. My Name is David ** and my email is **. I have filed an online report to Ken Paxton's office the attorney general for TX. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/contact-form/. Transamerica is financially taking advantage of the elderly. My mother has been calling my brother and I crying from frustration and stress because she doesn't know what to do. It really is criminal! Something needs to be done.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I have been paying for a long term care policy 17 years. Several years ago Transamerica bought the company I had. Little did I know about Transamerica... nor could I do anything about it. Now after17 years and I am now 71 years old, they have increased my premium 90%... doubling my monthly cost... and obviously doubling my yearly. I will be paying more for just myself than people I know who are my age & have had their policies the same amount of time or less... & in some instances more than 2 people combined. I took the policy out in California—but do not live there. Transamerica claims that I am bound by California laws & that The California Dept of Insurance actually approved a 90% increase! And guess what... they did. How outrageous is that too. After reading all these reviews... Now I am doubly scared if and when I need it, they will not be there for me. It’s unbelievable that an insurance company can get away with this.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

If I could give this company less stars, I would. If I could give them a negative 1000, I would. They are the worst company that I've ever had to deal with. My Mother purchased long term care insurance in 1992. She has paid on this continually over all these years, (over $35,000!) and now when she is living in an assisted living facility, they are denying her claim for the second time. She has met all their criteria, her doctor agreed that she can't live on her own. They sent out a "nurse" to evaluate her and give her a "test" to determine her mental state. She can't drive, can't fix her own meals, can't manage her finances at all, can't remember to take her medication, can't remember the date or day of the week, can't remember who the president of the United States is or even which county she lives in.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Even proving all this, they still say she doesn't qualify. We are now getting an attorney involved, contacting the Insurance Commissioner and I'm going to make sure I review this company in every place that I can to warn others not to be fooled into getting this insurance. They are crooks that steal money from the elderly that are just trying to keep their loved ones from having to pay for them as they get older. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY - TRANSAMERICA!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Customer service is terrible. No one has an answer or explanation on the claim that was filed in September. Two and a half months later, they denied the claim and we have been trying to resolve the issue ever since. They are SLOW to take ANY action regarding the appeal and dragging this out. Meanwhile, my father's care costs $7200 a month and we have stressed the financial urgency of getting the claim approved. We have jumped through hoops to provide every piece of documentation (stacks of paperwork!) for them, as requested, and I have had to call every week to stay on them. Hoping we don't have to get the insurance commissioner involved, but from the other reviews, I don't have much hope.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Over 14 months trying to get them to pay for long-term care insurance that our family has paid for over 20 years, denied twice. Hired an attorney, denied again, filed complaint with state and filed a lawsuit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

Original review: July 5, 2017

They just want your money! I was enrolled with payroll deductions for Long Term Care Insurance until I retired. I chose to continue my plan by paying, out of my meager pension, a year's premium to avoid the increased cost of breaking up payments. I soon received notice that only HALF of my $1400 payment would be applied to this year, to cover back payments from over 18 months, (that's right, a year and a half) ago, they claim my employer never paid. Now they want an additional $750 or they will cancel my coverage, and keep the $1400 I already sent them. Thieves!

Original review: May 3, 2017

My mother is 97 years old. Been paying for her LTC for 47 years. We should of taken that premium and put into a trust than using this LTC insurance company. I've called 4 times to get address change and never changed - now I've been on hold for 29 minutes and still waiting. Every time I called to find out information for the claim payments, I was always told something else. Today I called and now my mom has to pay out of pocket for 180 days and then they'll start paying. The claims person was rude. Called me rude - I wanted him to listen to me and he would just interrupt and no desire to listen to me. I would suggest to anyone looking for LTC to NOT sign up with Transamerica Insurance Company. GO to Mutual of Omaha or anyone else except these people.

Original review: April 30, 2017

We started my dad's claim in Dec 2016. Now April we still don't have a check. Not only is the wait time for each call unacceptable (over an hour) every time there is one more piece of paper they need. It takes over 3 weeks for them to process every piece of paper they get. They are doing everything possible to delay the payment. In the meantime they still are taking their premiums every month while my folks are paying the outlandish assisted living fees. They have been making premiums for many years and this is their first claim. I assume TRANSAMERICA is trying to delaying in hopes they die and then they can deny the claim. These delay tactics are inexcusable and cruel to elderly consumers. They are thrilled to take the money and promise to be there for you but hmmm where are they now?

Original review: April 19, 2017

My Parents have paid expensive premiums for 20 yrs and always paid the lump sum full amount of premium on time every year. Now, when my dad needs the policy reimbursement for a licensed, state approved Assisted Living facility, they make it impossible to get a reimbursement payment. We have completed ALL the requirements, approvals, interviews and observed their instructions (per their written letters) to date.

We paid the first 90 days out of pocket, when in all reality ends up to be 120 days (because you pay in advance and then get reimbursed 30 days later), due to their constant and neglectful documentation in letters that have little bearing on any timeline agreed to in the policy. They say their customer service department does not talk to the claims department or the billing (payment) department. The customer service people are friendly but seem to be ill trained as every time we speak to them we get a different story.

We have NEVER seen an organization so inept and blatantly ignorant to a senior citizen's needs. My father had a brain tumor, If he didn't have a family working on this issue for hours and hours a week he would never get his claim processed. They say they process their claims in 10-15 business days (as stated in their written documentation) processing time is actually 30 days. We have had only one and a half months of claims that have been reimbursed. We are still waiting for 2 months of payments.

I can only assume that their inefficiency in processing their claim and their incompetence in losing faxes and asking for forms multiple time is by plan to frustrate and delay payments. Not to mention, there is never a resolution for the amount of time one waits to get a resolution, payment, or valid reasoning to the delay. When you call you receive a message that they are experiencing heavy call volume and "your call is important to us" then you stay on hold for up to 2 hours. So your call isn't really that important to them! Once we did get a message after being on hold for an hour that they would call us back. They did but then you still wait on hold for another 15 minutes.

I could not imagine any senior citizen trying to deal with this company. I find it to be highly disrespectful, EXTREMELY poor business ethics and downright criminal to their policyholders and family trying to help. I would NEVER recommend Transamerica to anyone, EVER, for ANY insurance policy. Shame on you, Transamerica!

Original review: April 1, 2017

My mom bought a policy 30 years ago. It gave her comfort that she'd be taken care of in her old age. At 88, with advanced scoliosis, failure to thrive, periods of confusion and several falls they are denying her claim. They say she doesn't meet criteria of needing care and they don't want to reimburse me the close to $9000.00 I've paid out of pocket as they stall or to pay for future care even though we've never missed a payment and are currently still paying premiums. They have stalled for 3 month, constantly insisting they are not getting the 68 pages of faxed documentation sent countless times by fax attention different contacts on documented dates as had the facility. I've then followed with a phone call to verify they got it. I have to wait several days each time before they can report they didn't get it.

I finally overnighted it, certified mail from the facility and separately on the advice of council. And they were finally forced to admit they got it. They are understaffed so each of the calls trying to verify they got it required me to be on hold for 45 minutes to 6 hours. Each time I've moved mom to another facility we've had similar issues. My guess is they get out of countless claims by making it virtually impossible to collect. And making the appeals so difficult folks give up. If you are seeking a company to make your old age more comfortable and has your best interest at heart, I'd steer clear of this company because the legal council I've spoken with say they have a reputation for doing so repeatedly defrauding seniors out of what is rightly theirs.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

My mother paid every increasing LTC insurance premiums for ~15 years. Now at age 93 she just now entered into assisted living. Transamerica considers assisted living to be community care for which she is entitled to only 50% of the benefit that they would pay for total nursing care. Also, the rental portion is excluded. Okay, I understand all that... However, she is required to continue to pay 100% of the quarterly premiums. I would have thought the premium would have been reduced to cover insurance for nursing care since her claim was approved. Instead, at the same time that her claim was approved, she received notice that her premiums are going up: "This is the first of (three or four) rate increases that will be applied to your policy over the next (three or four) years." At the beginning of year three, her premiums will be 175% of her current premium. Unbelievable!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I called to set up a reassessment for my husband (policy #**). I waited for about 10 minutes and then was given a message that they would call me back. I left my # (They said wait time would be approximately 45 minutes). They called back in about 35 minutes but then was given a message (hold for the next available person or call back at a later time. Why would I have to call back at a later time). After about 7 minutes I spoke to William and he said he would transfer me to the correct department. I asked how long I would have to wait. He told me "just seconds".

I proceeded to wait about another 10 minutes when a Steve came on the line and attempted to assist me. I doubt he knew what he was doing. I asked him how long he had been with the company. He didn't answer and after several minutes he figured out what he needed to do. I AGAIN asked him how long he had been with TransAmerica. Rather than answer he said "A little while". I said, "Does that mean 1 day or what". He finally said about a year (which I doubt) as he had to read the policy to figure out what was covered or what was not. He was very inept and I should have asked to speak to someone else who might know what they were doing.

I could hear a woman in the background helping someone and she seemed to know what she was doing. We have paid premiums for many, many years and when I call I get the run-around. I think someone should check on the customer service employees and have an extensive training program. I was on the phone for over a hour just to set up a simple appointment. The last time my husband had been assessed the appointment was set within minutes because I spoke to a person qualified to help.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I purchased this long term policy several years ago. My first and only claim was for a home monitor system after my doctor made the suggestion because of a stroke and living alone. The claim was filed in December 2016. It's now almost March. They found every excuse in the world to avoid paying. A copy of my receipt was not enough. They wanted a copy of my payment receipt. A prescription from my doctor was still not enough. They required a nurse to make a home visit. Still when I called after waiting on the phone for over 2 hours. I spoke to a very polite customer service representative. Finally they approved the claim and will send a letter. They will eventually sent a check. What a disappointment this company is They will try not to pay any way they can.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I broke my foot and ankle on December 20th. I had to miss work and filed a claim to Transamerica. They repeatedly denied that they received all the required faxes and gave me the run around. After threatening to file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner they sent my payment and admitted receiving the faxes 4 times. Now it's time for my second payment and around we go again! They claim a fax from my doctor was never received. I checked with the doctor's office and it was faxed. They treat me like an idiot when I call and I have had enough! I am going to file a complain with their state's insurance commissioner tomorrow. Please do not do business with this company!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

My parents purchased a long term health insurance policy back in 1994. It subsequently got bought out by Transamerica. The benefits were supposed to include Home Health Care, Assisted Living, and Nursing Home. We moved both parents into an assisted living in September 2016. The Assisted Living Care Center bills the family and then we are to turn the bills into Transamerica to be reimbursed for. The first 3 bills came back as "Elimination Period not reached". When I called to ask TA about it they said there is a 90 day elimination period that is not covered - I cannot locate this in the policy. Now that the 90 day period is up they are still declining to pay for the bills stating they do not pay "rent, TV or phone", the majority of these bills are for rent, around $2000 - rent includes all the 24/7 hour care, med set up, med passes, food and meal preparation, help bathing, dressing, reminders. This part of the bill is getting declined.

They just keep stringing us along saying we have not sent in the right forms (which I have done 3 times now) or something else needs to be re-signed and dated. Their customer service is absolutely terrible, a 30 minute wait to talk to anyone and if they transfer you then another 30 to 45 minute wait to talk to the next person. Very frustrating. They say they are eligible for $98.00 a day for assisted living (and have been accepted, along with the Assisted Living Place) and around $200.00 a day for nursing home. We are taking all information to an attorney hoping to get some kind of response from TA. We are interested in filing a class action lawsuit against this company. It sounds like there are a lot of people out there that are having the same problem.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Transamerica had no problem taking money for $1500 month for 24 months for long term insurance. Now it's time for me to get the payment it becomes an issue. They find anything not to pay. I'm just sick of it. I've taken the papers to the doctor and when they receive it they send me the same papers again but keep adding and looking for ** just so they do not have to pay! Never ever again. Bills have to be paid and they withhold your money. No stars in my book. Just awful.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

The payments from Sally's policy were being paid when the amount claimed was for a small amount. When I was providing about 90% of the care the policy paid for a sitter 12 hours a week, split among 3 days. I had my own health crisis and was in ER and ICU for several days, then transferred to standard hospital bed. During that episode Sally had 3 caregivers for round the clock care. I have just received notice that Transamerica will not pay 60% of the claim because the care received exceeds the amount of care approved. In reading the other reviews on this site I am struck by the division between good and bad reviews. The good reviews reference treatment during the purchase phase of doing business with the insurance company. The bad reviews are from people trying collect benefits due them from their policy. I wonder how well the company will fare in a jury trial over their denial of benefits practices.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

Easy to contact and professional agents. Very willing to clearly explain benefits and answer questions for me. Also very good at helping me file the proper paperwork to start benefits administration. If and when I am disabled, they will pay 60 percent of my annual base salary for a period of one month up to 40 years until I die or live to social security. My insurance coverage is good for any and all accidental injuries that keep me from being able to perform my job. I must be off work for 30 days before my benefits begin. My monthly premiums are pretty low and are easily worth the protection that is afforded my family and myself. Additionally, the side benefits from the policy are a bonus to anything provided by other vendors.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

These people are horrific. They have been paid tens of thousands in premiums over the years and now refuse to pay anything. They ask for the same paperwork over and over again. They try to confuse the issue by lying about what the policy covers. Frankly it reminds me of the Grisham book, Rainmaker. I suspect this is all policy within the company. That is primarily the elderly grieving spouse that has to deal with this, makes the company predators and low lives. Do not buy any policy from this company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY!!! My husband got injured and had to be on light duty for 4 months. I submitted all the paperwork after he had surgery and they kept telling me my husband's injury was not covered. EVERYTIME I called, I got a different story on what was covered. They have been stalling like crazy and I have called customer service OVER 20 times!!! So far we have received $50 here, $50 there. They still owe us over $2,000. They are a joke!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Have been trying since late May to get a LTC claim established for my 92 year old father who is living in a skilled nursing care center. They sent a retired nurse to visit him, get signatures and complete forms only to send the same things in the mail for him to do again. It took two letters and a phone call to get his mailing address changed. We did have issues with the nursing home faxing his monthly statements to the Medical records fax number instead of the claims number. Obviously those two departments don't talk to each other. After getting confirmation via a form letter that the monthly statements were received he still hasn't received any money. I don't understand why I have to keep calling to try and get something to happen to no avail. I can't believe this company is on a list of top 11 companies. There must only be 11 selling long term care insurance. My next call is to the state insurance department.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I'm sure I could get very annoying with all my questions and concerns and everyone who's helped me is always so nice and patient with me. They're different. Took me some getting used to but now that I understand it I enjoy it quite theorly. I'm very satisfied with my service all around. Couldn't be any better. They are all about their clients and customers. I'm so pleased to have the honor in being a client. Never have I had an issue. Fantastic great customer service. Happy patient experience is valuable. Lovely. My type of money saver. My favorite product by far. I refer to everyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

It feels like they actually care about me. They listen to my problems and help me the best they can. They are always patient and understanding with me. It's written in easy to understand phrases and words. It is fair and concise. And explains to me exactly what they do and do not do. Their help line is always willing to help me with any questions I have on it. I have had no problems that they do not cover. Their rates are fair and within my budget. I get a letter regularly telling me how much my part of the payment is, and how much it cost all together. Again, it fits well within my budget. It covers all my expenses and leaves me with peace of mind that I won't end up paying too much for my care.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Very helpful and fast customer service. Had several questions and they were very knowledgeable. I am now assured that I am in the best of hands. Many different policy options to get you the desired coverage you need. They have something for everyone out there whether you want a little or a lot. They have many different types of coverage that would be great for anyone and everyone, whether it be term life, long term, whole life, variable universal life, or even final expense life. The value of having any one of these plans are priceless. They have many different options to satisfy anyone's choice. Great choices and friendly customer service reps to get you there.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

They were very helpful when I had questions. They made sure I understood everything they had to say. They didn't use any of their big words that no one understands. Their different policy options are explained to you in detail by the representative and they are super helpful in helping you figure out which one is right for you. Their coverage is amazing. It seems to cover just about anything and everything you can imagine. The representative is very helpful with walking you through what they do or do not cover. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone because they are so helpful and friendly. The representative is very knowledgeable and very friendly.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I found the customer service to be absolutely horrible. They are not helpful whatsoever. The specific "customer service representative" that I spoke with was lacking an education, patience, and general common sense. I was pulling my hair out dealing with them. The policy options are definitely a joke. There is what you call overpaying for the product which is the position I am in now. And what makes it harder is the lack of options I get. Coverage equals... Well nothing. Because that's basically what you are getting from them. Which is an absolute shame and rip off seeing all the money I am paying to them. The value is absolute crap. As I stated before there is nothing I like about this at all. Nothing at all. Period. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Customer service is great. They are so wonderful and helpful. They also have a 24-hour hotline to call anytime you have any questions or concerns. The policy is great for people of all ages. It's a great deal and isn't too much money. Covers most of what you might need it for too. Great insurance. Definitely will recommend. It takes care of my everyday needs. I'm uber satisfied with my choice in choosing this specific insurance. I love it. I'll recommend to anybody that asks about it or need insurance period. Definitely won't be disappointed and very well worth the money that you have to pay.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

My wife got cancer two years ago. I was in really bad situation - just let you know Transamerica provided a good service and also as long as my plan was FFIOL I got about %6 in average for the money I paid in to the saving that is available mixed with Long Term Care in FFIOL.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

My claim was taken care of very fast. It took less than a week and 2 phone calls and everything was taken care of. I've never had not 1 complaint about the customer service I have experienced. I had no problems with any of the policy details as such I've had with other insurance companies. Anytime I needed to use my insurance I haven't had been disappointed with not one instance. Very pleasant to deal with. I currently have the most coverage I could acquire due tomorrow on a previous medical condition... which a lot of other companies would not accept or cover me for. The coverage is invaluable. I couldn't be happier with my experiences with the company nor can I put a value on the service I've experienced.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

The customer service was fantastic by far. The only thing I can say is that they were so helpful. Any questions I had they were there to answer and help. Overall I had such a wonderful and inviting experience. The policy options were so pleasant. I wouldn't change them for anything. Everything was very concise and thorough. It describe what was expected and was easy to follow. My coverage is fantastic. I would recommend to anyone. This is great and I feel like I have great coverage and can go anywhere with anything. The coverage is completely what I need. The value is completely worth the money. The only thing that was disappointing was that more people don't have it. The value is worth every penny. I am covered with everything and value is key.

Transamerica expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Transamerica offers a range of services that go well beyond insurance products. The company is a leading financial services company and offers everything from investment advice to insurance.

• Nationwide services: Transamerica writes policies in every U.S. state.

• Long-term care is a family discussion: They understand the need for family involvement in end-of-life care decisions and engage all members in the decision-making process.

• Cost calculator: Before deciding on any insurance product, it's important to learn about cost vs. savings, which Transamerica provides using their cost of care and life expectancy calculators.

• Learning center: Transamerica offers a learning center on its website to provide consumers with resources about insurance and the other services they offer.

• All-in-one health insurer: In addition to their long-term care insurance products, Transamerica also offers a variety of life insurance products, Medicare solutions, accidental death insurance and even final expense coverage.

• Best for: Parents, retirees and the elderly.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky