Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

4.0/5 (231 ratings)

About Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance

Transamerica sells term and permanent life insurance, including whole and universal policies. Coverage for its term life insurance is up to $10 million, and permanent life insurance coverage is up to $2 million. Transamerica accepts applications from anyone between 18 and 80, with term coverage extending up to 90 years old. Consumers can add multiple riders to their policies, including accidental death or disability coverage.

Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica Long Term Care Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

Original review: June 24, 2022

My mom purchased her policy 27 years ago from Bankers Life and Transamerica acquired it years later. Transamerica has, unfortunately, not embraced technology and still only relies on phone calls, fax, and letters to communicate to policyholders and the authorized representatives. Faxes don't always work due to "volume", letters to the policyholder & POA are intentionally vague, and you will wait on hold for hours at a time only to be disconnected IF you reach a live representative. I have made over 20+ phones calls (waited on hold and most not returned), wrote letters, only to arrive at a conclusion that could have been reached over 10 months ago. I would NEVER recommend this company.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Where to begin? There are no words! This company is not going to be there when it's time to collect. Please know that as of March 2021, Transamerica has even discontinued offering their long term insurance product. Things have gone "that" well!!! Transamerica will strategically wear you down, shift the documentation you need to produce, lose them, and bounce you around on a never-ending trail of phone calls. It is deliberate and pervasive. And they will deny your claim and you have absolutely no recourse but to wait 3 whole months before appealing! We have not been denied yet because our claim has not been able to be determined. A full time job for this caretaker daughter, from the end of March 2022 through mid June 2022. Just look for the multitude of complaints written about them on Retirement Living.com. We need to begin a class action suit to this fraudulent company!!! The evidence is overwhelming!! Read our frustration!

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My mother was moved into Memory Care from Assisted Living on August 23, 2021 in the SAME facility. I have called multiple times always getting a representative that seems to not be able to connect me with their supervisor regarding her monthly check that she has received for over 7 years and is now being told she must pay premiums or her policy may lapse if we as the family don't pay the fees! We have only received her check through August 22.

Due to her "change in condition" and her move to a new room, I was initially told that a "new" claim would need to be filed and APPROVED by the eligibility department. Documentation was also required by the facility. Then an assessment was required which took nearly a month to have someone come in to see Mom. The individual had MANY papers to fill out detailing out Mom's medical history (which they already have!) My mother has dementia and could not remember details of past surgeries much less the town she lives in. The assessment even included a "test" of memory that has been done by her neurologist. Her memory is failing! Therefore, her move to Memory Care.

I was told by one representative that once they had the assessment they could expedite the claim. The next representative told me they could not. We are still waiting on the check. I have spoken with Thomas, Adrian, Matthew, Omartalia and Nessa over the past 2 months. One told me that Transamerica has to make sure the facility is an approved one. It is the SAME facility!!

The latest news was from Thomas who said on 11/18 that the assessment has been received and is now being reviewed. It could take up to 10 business days BEFORE approval. He then asked me why it was taking so long? Did we not tell them? He was putting the blame back on us. We had no idea that we had to let Transamerica know that she was moving rooms within the same facility. I called when we only received a partial check for the month of August and was told a letter had been sent to us notifying us to start paying her premium again while the policy was under review. Thomas did finally agree to send an email to the eligibility department to ask if they can speed the process up for us.

The original letter from Transamerica stating their need for documentation from the facility was supposedly mailed on September 29. However, the letter we received was actually dated October 11. We now have a new letter saying the premiums must be paid up to date by January. We are still waiting. Meanwhile, the burden lays on the family to pay her monthly bill for memory care. Mom paid for YEARS on her policy assuming she would be financially able to receive the care she needs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

This department has been sold several times since I started the policy and now Transamerica holds my account. Their internal policy makes it impossible for a customer to speak to anyone who has the authority to make a decisions. They cannot transfer the customer to the corporate offices or to any manager. The standard answer is, "We will forward this up the line and someone will call you back," which never happens. The average hold time to speak to an agent is 30 minutes which includes the time to run through their list of possible solutions.

While on hold they offer many times the solution to call back later which only adds to total time on hold. A caring company who will hot hire enough people to handle the phone traffic would add the "we will call you back option, you will not lose you place in line" service. It is totally apparent that this company does NOT CARE about its clients. I am sure they have never visited this site and read the reviews here. I have never seen so many one * star responses from clients as are recorded here. If you are considering any LONG CARE POLICIES I would avoid at all cost this UNCARING company.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I am curious why this site gives a 3.8 star rating when down the line the reviews are one star. I am adding another one-star review. My experience with TransAmerica is quite possibly the worst I've ever had with any company. My mother has dementia and is receiving care at an assisted living care center. There is no way she could safely live on her own at this point. She legitimately needs long-term care. We have been trying to collect on her long-term care policy since May 2020. It is now July 2021. After writing letter upon letter, being put on hold for hours upon hours this last year, and obtaining stacks of required documentation, I have gotten nowhere. They have denied my mother twice. We are now submitting the claim all over again.

My mother is supposed to get another assessment before they make a determination on her eligibility. I had to take a break for a few months because they had worn me down and I had to take a break. In fact, I'm sure many do give up and never receive coverage. If an elderly person did not have an advocate, it would be impossible to navigate the frustrating process of getting coverage. I do draw some comfort in reading the other reviews on this site, knowing I am not alone. I have had the same frustrations of not being able to use e-mail and having to communicate by snail mail. Otherwise, I am put on hold for hours with their automated phone line system. If my mother is denied a third time, the next letter will be from my mother's attorney.

Original review: June 27, 2021

It's time for Transamerica (TA) and Long Term Care Group (LTCG) to be investigated by the government and the media. Something is terribly off with this company. The stories are all the same, as is my parents experience trying to collect benefits. Denials/reversals of long standing claims/benefits and increased difficulty in communicating with a company that doesn't want to be communicated with. Delaying tactics, no website, no email, never receive faxes, never sign their letters, extensive wait times on the phone - all obstructive tactics to deny claims. After five years of receiving benefits my mother was denied by LTCG as if she was miraculously healed of her dementia and spinal issues that we both getting progressively worse and required full time care.

I'd like to offer some advice:

-FAX & USPS don't work - they deny receiving it. SEND ALL MAIL "PRIORITY MAIL" REQUESTING A SIGNATURE. This is the only way you can track on your computer they received it and they can't deny it.
    -Want to talk to a person whose name you have? CALL 972-881-6000

-contact Mark W. Mullin, Chairman of the Board

Unfortunately, my mother has passed and never did receive all the benefits she was contractually entitled to. Shame on you Transamerica and LTCG for your elder abuse!

Original review: May 22, 2021

I recently got the same letter that many received with the 4 choices to reduce coverage to prevent a 56% increase in rates on a policy held for the last 22 yrs with no claims. Since I have not received a bill for the updated rates after reducing coverage I started looking at the history of this company and I am appalled at the stories I have read on this site and one other about the rampant fraud and corruption that is evident in their apparent scams to avoid paying claims. Now, with my next payment due I am wondering WHY hasn't the FTC cracked down on this company after so many incredible stories that sound like fraud. AND, should I continue to pay my premiums to end up like all the others on this site. Frustrated, confused and gas lighted by this company???

Original review: March 10, 2021

Transamerica is antiquated and has horrible customer service. They require tons of paperwork to qualify a claim and insist the only means of delivery is mail or fax. Hello! It's 2021 the digital age. I call and their automated system can't find my policy number. I get a different story every time I call. "We don't have the documents you sent". "The docs have not been processed." "The file is under review. Check back in a week." "Your claim was approved, but we need more documents." They obviously make it as difficult as possible to delay and try and avoid paying claims. Not the kind of treatment anyone wants let alone when you're dealing with long term health care problems.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I am writing in January 2021. Transamerica Long Term Health Care Division only communicates through snail mail and FAX (again--in the year 2021!) They have ONE phone number for all policy holders. You cannot contact anyone--not even your case manager--directly. Therefore, if you just want to leave a message or have a simple question, you still have to go through a microscopic tunnel for which the wait time yesterday to speak to an agent was between 5-7 hours. I opted through their automated service to receive a call back, for which the soonest time was the next day. I took it. Upon answering the automated callback, I was put on hold for 30 minutes waiting for the next available agent.

I have been trying to get reimbursed for round the clock healthcare since last June and have yet to reach anyone about the hold up. This is obstructionist. Why on earth can't I have a direct phone number or an email? Once again, their policy is mail or fax as I am repeatedly told. Transamerica's outgoing communications are only by snail mail as well. No one ever calls to give you an update, or inform you of denied claims or missing information. When you receive the snail mail and call to address (or rant) you have to get through to the one telephone number and the wait time AGAIN. Having faxed all the information they need several times, and finally reaching an agent 36 hours after my call yesterday, I am told it will be 15-20 business days before my fax is processed. What is going on over there? This seems illegal.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Both my parents held long term care policies with this company. When the time came for my mom to use hers it was such a pain. She used it for 7 months and every month I had to call to ask where her reimbursement was? I got the feeling their policy was that they did not pay/release funds till the very last minute possible and often they had excuses or errors as to why the reimbursement had not been released. After we started using her policy she no longer was required to pay premiums but six weeks after informing them of her passing I received a bill to begin paying for her long-term care again! At first, I thought this was just an insensitive and unfortunate mistake but after calling them I was informed that this was a common occurrence and that their system automatically sends out a bill after a death. What?! In this day and age, how can that not be prevented? Unbelievable. Very disappointed. Would not recommend this company.

Transamerica author review by Matthew Brodsky

Transamerica offers a variety of life insurance and products for retirement solutions, mutual funds, annuities and employee benefits.

• Long-term care coverage: The company’s plans cover in-home care, assisted living/adult day care, nursing home, respite, hospice and medical help systems.

• Supplemental insurance: Select from a variety of plans to cover costs associated with nursing home facilities and home health care. Get coverage at any age with a three-year automatic rate guarantee.

• Learning center: Transamerica offers a learning center on its website to provide consumers with resources about insurance and the other services the business offers.

• Cost calculator: Transamerica provides free tools to project the cost of care over your lifetime.

• Transamerica app: Through the app, you can track your retirement account and manage your financial wellness.

• Nationwide services: Transamerica writes policies in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor