3.18/5

MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

190 MetLife Long Term Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2018

My 87 Year old mother has been approved to receive her LTC since September 2017. After filing countless papers, medical records, Assisted Living Care Plans, and EVERTHING ELSE LTC asked for they still haven't sent any $$$ for reimbursement. To add insult to injury they still send a quarterly bill since they haven't "put in the paperwork" to "waive premiums like stated in the policy." When you call in you get someone different person every time and you are told a supervisor will call you back, which never happens. When you ask why they haven't processed reimbursement payment in 10 days "like the policy states" they say for the amount owed it will take longer for this to be processed. It's 10's of $1000 because they are dragging their feet to pay!!!

The lame excuses, lack of customer service, and run around is borderline fraud. It's bad enough to try to take care of a loved one's needs but to fight with OUR OWN INSURANCE company is just terrible. MetLife should be heavily fined so they don't do this to other people. MetLife should be made to pay interest for the money owed. MetLife should be made to pay punitive damages to our family for the mental worries and stress they have put us through. I HIGHLY do not trust MetLife and I will be switching our Life Insurance, and every other type of insurance we have with them. No family should have to go through this run around as well as being out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH METLIFE LTC. I've reported their actions or lack of action to the BBB as well as to the Insurance Board.

Original review: June 15, 2018

They say they'll call you back in one business day. NOT TRUE! It took them 4 months to approve claims... Had to call the executive secretary to finally get going. I just called and they said they had a lot of calls and to call back in 2-3 hours. What kind of company does that? You have to use their approved agencies. I don't think that sounds ethically right.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been working since May 1977 to get payments for my sister who is in assisted living. I am a co guardian of her estate and well being and my daughter is co guardian. MetLife is extremely difficult. All we get is excuses and delays with no check. Yes, we have filled out all the documents and are still waiting for the first check. Their service is deplorable and they don,t pay what my sister is entitled to receive. I strongly recommend that the company be avoided. It appears that we will have to take legal action to get what my sister is entitled to receive.

Original review: March 25, 2018

After paying in for 20 years my mother at 93 needs the long term care. Once the claim was started it took not only 90 days waiting but 135 days before we got a payment. The payments get later and later each month. I have to follow up each month to get a payment and each time for the past year get a phone message that the agent will call you in 24 hours and if they don’t you are to call their supervisor. Then when you call the supervisor you get a message that if they don’t get back in 24 hours call their supervisor.

Each month when I finally reach them there is a new reason why they haven’t paid. I have been bawled out for writing on an invoice, to calling an agent who is no longer handling my mother’s account. I just know that each month I will spend 3-5 phone calls getting my mother's payment. I can’t believe this company is allowed to prey on seniors. As I read the reviews the positive ones are those who have purchased the policy. They have no idea as to the treatment they will get when they try to collect.

Original review: March 24, 2018

After looking at all reviews I noticed that the individuals giving this company high ratings are the ones that have purchased the policy. Believe me if you ever have to use your LTC policy it is a nightmare. My father has had this policy for over 20 years and due to illness had to start using his plan. EVERY month I have to contact customer service about his reimbursement not being paid within the time frame the policy states. They always different excuses and I feel horrible for the elder that have this policy and do not have any family members helping.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had this insurance for over 18 years without claims. During this serious health crisis we have found that receiving payment for a claim is a very slow tedious process. After dealing with this process for months MetLife, though they had a copy of our bank check to confirm electronic deposit, entered the information in error. I have been checking with them for a week without any satisfaction. They told me it was my bank's fault and to contact them. I did and found that the payment had been entered erroneously and returned the same day. 5 days later they have still not rectified the issue and sent a new payment to my bank.

We're senior citizens on a limited budget. This company needs to be more responsive when they make errors and timely in rectifying them. I was told it would be at least 3 days longer before anything could be done. Original check sent out on Feb. 13 by bank and returned as there was no account for the number they sent it to. It is now Feb 21 nothing has been done.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I bought my policy in 2002 at the monthly cost of $69.30. The cost now is $163.81 which is very dismaying and makes me wonder if this cost is prohibitive because I could hire someone to help me with my house cleaning for less than that a month.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My husband and I have had paid into this insurance program for 15 years. When I tried to use the insurance they gave me a runaround. 1. It would take 8 days for me to receive benefit forms through the US postal service. Park Plaza Long-term Hospital insisted that they send the form through e-mail, the hospital faxed the completed forms back to them. They gave us a tag by phone runaround for 4 days. We call them and our call was not returned until the next day when they claimed they need more forms filled out. My husband died 4 days later. We received nothing from this insurance. It is a big fraud. They accept money from people and do not pay up when you need the service. After 15 years of payments I think we should have received better service. Think of all the people that are members of AARP that fell for this fraud insurance.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My parents purchased LT care insurance policies from MetLife through AARP about 20 years ago. My father passed away and never had a claim. Now my 83 yo mother who needs in-home assistance for bathing, eating, getting dressed, housework, etc. I started the claim process early October and it's now early December and my mom still hasn't been approved. There's always some excuse from MetLife ranging from they need more documentation from medical providers or they never received it. I am so disgusted by MetLife's treatment of my mom. Do NOT purchase a LT care insurance policy from MetLife! I truly feel they are just waiting for my mom to die so they don't have to pay anything. Shame on AARP for endorsing this policy to unsuspecting senior citizens.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have been dealing with MetLife Long Term Care for the last five months. We got word of a verbal denial today after five months of waiting. The caseworker we dealt with did not return calls and always had an excuse. It has been a horrible experience. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I plan to appeal and fight them.

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information