Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.11/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

MetLife Long Term Care Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My mother paid $224 monthly after rate increases, for long term care policy, with cash out if never used. June 2018 I called to make claim for help. I was told up to 15 days for forms. They never came. Mom died July 1st. I faxed death certificate and forms for premium refund $30,000. I've faxed and called and emailed everything they asked for... This is the most UNPROFESSIONAL, CONFUSED company I've had to deal with. It's now January 2019 and I'm still trying to get this straighten out. Next step will be attorney. Very upset. I wonder if this is how they profit!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Where do I begin! My 95 year old WWII vet has been paying into this policy for more than 30 years and now he needs it more than ever. This is the most inefficient, poorly run, joke of a company. Every time I call, I get a different answer. There is little to no follow up. I have to calendar myself to follow up on everything. They can't find my emailed claims, when they can, they can't read the scan of the email.

Finally I received a note that my father's start date for service was in Oct 2016 and that he could retrieve benefits after the 90 calendar waiting period. I have since been told that the waiting period only counts when he receives 2 days/week of treatment which pushes us out over a year to March 2018!!! It seems at every turn there is an excuse or a loophole holding my father's benefits hostage. Between the year of premium payments and now the immense amount of time it is taking me to squeeze funds from this company, it is not worth it. Considering getting an attorney involved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When I was first diagnosed with ESRD 3 years ago I changed my address with them. I called several times and no changes. I WENT IN HOSPITAL, came out and answer rep Stephanie questions to wait on the claim forms. Keep calling. No form but every rep gives me an old incorrect address. I can't get the service I need. I really want my money I invested into this insurance back. I called for a supervisor at 2 pm EST and inform no supervisor is available today. I just want my money back!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

In 2003, I signed a contract with AARP MetLife Life Insurance. I elected a policy with a fixed premium and coverage that would increase with inflation. The contract stipulated that my contribution would never increase due to my age or health. That was the Custom Program. Yesterday I received a letter saying, due to actuarial calculations, my premium will increase 15% in 2019 and more in subsequent years. There was an envelope enclose for me to opt out of MetLife Long Term Care Insurance or greatly reduce my benefit. What!!! After 15 years and $16,000 of premiums paid, MetLife is going to welch on the deal. Does someone out there have the same experience? Who knows what I should do? HELP!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For nine months now I have been calling MetLife LTC about claims for September through December 2017 for my wife's mother who passed away in December. The claims were not fully reimbursed - trying to make the customer service rep understand what is going on is next to possible. Every time I call I have to go over the situation but nobody seems to make notes in the profile/file for my mother in law. The past week I have called five times, one call seemed to have resolved the issue but today it turns out that no notes were made of the conversation, no action undertaken. I have left messages for three coordinators/ supervisors but have not received the promised call back within one business day.

This is so beyond any professional service but then again I have to remind myself of conversations with insurance executives who stated that they are in the business of denying claims. MetLife is terrific in that respect. They should be complimented. Their automatic reply of 'your business is important to us' is such a lie they should be ashamed to have that play every time I call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My parents faithfully paid monthly premiums to MetLife LTC for over 20 yrs. They were both satisfied with the insurance until they needed it. In the Spring of 2018, my mother entered a nursing home due to permanent health issues she was having. My father contacted the company to initiate benefits. His experience was similar to others: every time he called, either his rep was out of the office, or would call him back (which never happened), after completing a mountain of complicated paperwork & submitting it, his customer service experience did not improve.

It simply changed from it being frustratingly hard to even be able to contact someone to receiving paperwork from the company indicating they were "researching" his claim. Unfortunately, after two months in a nursing home, my mother died. MetLife LTC is still "researching" my father's claim. Even worse, he has now received written notification that MetLife LTC is increasing the monthly premium ON MY MOTHER, WHO HAS BEEN DEAD FOR A MONTH! My elderly father must continue to pay the increased premiums. If he cancels the LTC coverage on my deceased mother while the company is "researching" his claim, he gets nothing.

As of this date, all my father has received from this company is excuses & delaying tactics. Also, after reviewing the 5 star ratings on this site, most of them were submitted over a 4 week period and the information associated with each, indicating what a great company MetLife LTC is all contain general statements, such as "My long term coverage is nice." I saw only one that actually had to use the insurance & it had no specific details, only generalities. Very suspicious to me. I used to think MetLife was a reputable company. Not anymore.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My 87 Year old mother has been approved to receive her LTC since September 2017. After filing countless papers, medical records, Assisted Living Care Plans, and EVERTHING ELSE LTC asked for they still haven't sent any $$$ for reimbursement. To add insult to injury they still send a quarterly bill since they haven't "put in the paperwork" to "waive premiums like stated in the policy." When you call in you get someone different person every time and you are told a supervisor will call you back, which never happens. When you ask why they haven't processed reimbursement payment in 10 days "like the policy states" they say for the amount owed it will take longer for this to be processed. It's 10's of $1000 because they are dragging their feet to pay!!!

The lame excuses, lack of customer service, and run around is borderline fraud. It's bad enough to try to take care of a loved one's needs but to fight with OUR OWN INSURANCE company is just terrible. MetLife should be heavily fined so they don't do this to other people. MetLife should be made to pay interest for the money owed. MetLife should be made to pay punitive damages to our family for the mental worries and stress they have put us through. I HIGHLY do not trust MetLife and I will be switching our Life Insurance, and every other type of insurance we have with them. No family should have to go through this run around as well as being out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH METLIFE LTC. I've reported their actions or lack of action to the BBB as well as to the Insurance Board.

Original review: June 15, 2018

They say they'll call you back in one business day. NOT TRUE! It took them 4 months to approve claims... Had to call the executive secretary to finally get going. I just called and they said they had a lot of calls and to call back in 2-3 hours. What kind of company does that? You have to use their approved agencies. I don't think that sounds ethically right.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been working since May 1977 to get payments for my sister who is in assisted living. I am a co guardian of her estate and well being and my daughter is co guardian. MetLife is extremely difficult. All we get is excuses and delays with no check. Yes, we have filled out all the documents and are still waiting for the first check. Their service is deplorable and they don,t pay what my sister is entitled to receive. I strongly recommend that the company be avoided. It appears that we will have to take legal action to get what my sister is entitled to receive.

Original review: March 25, 2018

After paying in for 20 years my mother at 93 needs the long term care. Once the claim was started it took not only 90 days waiting but 135 days before we got a payment. The payments get later and later each month. I have to follow up each month to get a payment and each time for the past year get a phone message that the agent will call you in 24 hours and if they don’t you are to call their supervisor. Then when you call the supervisor you get a message that if they don’t get back in 24 hours call their supervisor.

Each month when I finally reach them there is a new reason why they haven’t paid. I have been bawled out for writing on an invoice, to calling an agent who is no longer handling my mother’s account. I just know that each month I will spend 3-5 phone calls getting my mother's payment. I can’t believe this company is allowed to prey on seniors. As I read the reviews the positive ones are those who have purchased the policy. They have no idea as to the treatment they will get when they try to collect.

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information