3.9/5 (237 ratings)

About John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

At first, we thought they were just incompetent. But now we truly believe they are purposely trying to scam people. They ask for documents to begin the process of paying out reimbursement for long term care. They have repeatedly said that they didn't receive the documents needed. So we call the nurse facility to resend. These docs have been resent so many time. So we drove to pick them up and sent ourselves. 2 separate companies have resent. We sent more than once. The nursing facility called and spoke to John hancock multiple times. We called. Everyone has called. The docs have been sent so many times.

This is now obvious that they are pretending not to receive so that they don't make any payments. This is on purpose. This is criminal. My 80 mother had tried to do this on her own for her 82 year old husband. Since she was unsuccessful. Both my brother and and I stepped in. The lady at the nursing facility stepped in.

We are all competent people including my mother. We know what they ask. We know how to send. This is 100 percent obvious avoidance of paying. This company is so scammy. DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THIS COMPANY.

My 80 year old mother has been taking care of her 82 year old husband on her own even though they paid thousands of dollars for this insurance the last 18 years. This seems like it is so 100 percent on purpose from John hancock. I can't believe they haven't gotten arrested or been on the news. I remember the news used to help people with these bad companies. I guess the news now is only about state propaganda.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

John Hancock LTC is terminating my 18 year lifetime policy signed in 2003 for medical conditions that occurred in 2010 and do not exist today. JH is violating the clause in my policy and NY Insurance Law Section 3203(a)(3) (McKinney2000) for refusing reinstatement after 2 years from the date of signed contract for medical reasons, which medical conditions didn’t occur until 2010. That is 7 years after the JH policy was signed. To date I do not have lung cancer, and did not require radiation or chemo therapy after thoracic surgery on October 12, 2010.

I consider JH actions as harassment and unscrupulous, as it expeditiously forwarded my file to Medical Underwriters to discover real time medical issues. When I signed the contract 12/9/2003 18 years ago, I was 60 years old and now 78. I even have doubts whether I want to continue with the Company, as online research informs me that JH is being sued many times for refusing to pay claimants disability payments on LTC policies. My Manhattan attorneys feel that I do have a legal case against JH for the premiums (approximately $90,000 to date) that it is fraudulently retaining, and probably does not intend to pay any disability claims to me that I might need in the future. I don’t consider the scenario beneficial to me and JH are actually insurance thieves.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

My former employer offered LTC thru JohnHancock in 1997. It was a great plan. I was in my mid 30's/single with two kids and no other family. My premium offer was $23/month for a lifetime benefit of $529,000 (or 5 years total in Nursing home) and payments would stop at age 65. JH offer included a statement - "rates will never go up". Well, I call **. Not only have the rates gone up, but they got away with the "payments stop at age 65". Again, I have all the old paperwork.

So far I had 3 increases, otherwise I would suffer lower maximum benefits. Paying $41/per month now - just got another letter, where they are "giving me the opportunity to purchase additional coverage". Premium increase to$76/mo with a benefit increase of 13%. I decided against the increase and keeping my current coverage. Putting the additional money that I would be paying into my IRA. I know I pay very little for this plan - I lucked out, but in any other world I would say it is illegal to make the changes they did. After all, I had it in black and white. JH's annuity teams made a huge error - JH should eat the costs. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order. I for one will get legal counsel, as well write up a letter to the MN Attorney General.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

My parents paid for LTC insurance and both ended up needing it. The problem came when my father moved from home health services (in my hometown) to a nursing facility where his reimbursement rate should have been double (as were his expenses). We retained home health services ON TOP of nursing care, having caregivers provide services IN the nursing facility to ensure adequate care. Even though John Hancock received invoices from the nursing facility, they also received home health invoices (that agency just kept sending them).

They knew he was in a nursing facility but chose to ignore the nursing home invoices and paid us for home care at the lower rate. I used their internal messaging system to straighten it out. I finally called and was told politely, "too bad." They refuse to pay the difference between the two, leaving us with over 6 months of under payments--roughly $20,000 in under payments. This is unfortunate, unethical, and otherwise just plain wrong.

Original review: July 20, 2021

We pay $3600 per person per year for long term. I thought it was a waste of money and surely, there would be some sort of catch. The catch is - the long term care pays you up to $9500 per month for five years. It ends in five years. That was the catch. Would we ever use it? Fast forward to 2015 when our dad reached age 75 and couldn't really walk so we moved him into a home. John Hancock paid the entire bill every single month. He died in 2020. John Hancock's five year expiration was two months away - so we never had to pay a cent out of pocket for retirement care. If you're on the fence, I would consider this a sign to signup and get prepared for if this happens.

Original review: June 23, 2021

My wife and I have had John Hancock long-term care insurance for about 10 years now. There have been numerous premium increases throughout the years. We now pay about $2000 a year for me and $1400 a year for her policy. Close to $30,000 over ten years. Just got a letter yesterday that our premiums will increase by 25%, phased in until the new optimal premium is reached for us old folks who may require LTC in the future. Based on their recent demographics, apparently just completed, they're anticipating raising rates by 30%. They claim they didn't anticipate people getting older and needing care. What a surprise.

They say they can't cancel the policies outright but nothing prevents them from raising premiums enough to drive existing policyholders out of the market. They like those young potential policyholders. Lots of premium income, lower risk. In my opinion this is just a way for JH to cancel policies of older policyholders without saying outright that they are cancelling policies. Especially of older policyholders that are more likely to need LTC. The insurance regulators are all thumbs up. Go for it! Based on our current premiums our new combined premium would increase (at 30%) from about $3400 per year to about $4400 per year. That's what they are admitting to now.

Next year when they find out that more people are getting old than they anticipated who knows? All I can say is congratulations to the current JH CEO (making $3,386,253 in compensation in 2020). You have outsmarted the insurance regulators and driven us out of the LTC market. Can't justify the expense anymore. Mission accomplished. I can see an increase in your compensation coming in the near future as you are obviously underpaid. I hope someone asks me about recommendations for JH. I can't say what I really think about JH but I think you get the drift.

Original review: June 2, 2021

My parents have paid into this policy for over twenty years. I guess the law allows JH to increase premiums which they have done over that period on a regular basis. Before my dad died, after extraordinary effort on our part, my family was able to begin receiving some reimbursement for some of his extra care. He died 3 years ago. Now my mom, 96, needs extra care. We are reliving the frustration of applying for reimbursement, running out the 100 days “elimination period” (this means they don’t pay any reimbursement for the first 100 days when you incur the expense), submitting invoices and calling them to find out what is going on. Maybe all these companies and policies try to take advantage of the insured. John Hancock is certainly among them.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I have paid into this policy for myself for the past 18 years. I am a Federal Annuitant, and the payment was automatically withdrawn from my bank account each month. My health deteriorated to the point where I needed to begin the claim process recently. I filed a claim, received a telephone call from a case worker who explained the process fully, filled out the required forms and within a couple of weeks was told by the same case worker that my claim had been approved.

There was a waiting period before I could be reimbursed for my caretaker's expenses, which I knew from having read the literature when I first signed up for the policy almost 20 years ago. Since then, I weekly email the insurance company the two required verification forms, and within less than a week, the company reimburses me directly into my bank account. I have read the other reviews about this company on your website, and find that my experience has been quite positive. While it is true that there is paperwork involved, I think that is only to be expected.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

My mother paid $1,600 a year for 15 years. Now that she needs help at home this company makes it so hard to make a claim. You get sent from one department to another with no help whatsoever. Then when I finally get to ask what her benefits pay for they tell me that there is a 20 day grace period before they will start to payout. Unfortunately we need help now and I do not believe my mother will even make the 20 days before it kicks in. They have failed my mother and my family in so many ways.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Tragically John Hancock is very far behind with technology and catering to members that have been with them for more than 20 years. There is no way to pay for their services except by snail mail or a automatic withdrawal out of your bank account which I disagree on both options. There should be pay over the phone or on their website. Their insurance is no different than paying for medical insurance or auto insurance hence it is insurance. It's not a security thing. It is a lack of organization thing sadly.

They said last year and they have said this year that they were going to have it in place and obviously the board that is in charge of John Hancock is simply sleeping at the wheel and doesn't care about their members. There is no other way to put it. You want people to pay for your services but you make it uncomfortable for people to do so. So two stars is too generous but you're just getting that anyways. I look forward to hearing from John Hancock on this issue to argue that they're behind the times. It would be a fun conversation.

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

John Hancock insures more than 3.5 million policyholders, paying out $2.3 billion each year in claims. The company currently only accepts new policies for federal employees.

• Compare insurance options: Select from long-term life insurance, permanent life insurance and vitality programs. There is a comprehensive overview of the different packages available and an explanation of the coverage for different tiers.

• Lifestyle benefits adjustments: A long-term care insurance policy change doesn't mean you need a new policy. Instead, John Hancock works with your existing policy to adjust coverage levels and long-term care premiums to meet your current needs.

• Flexible payments: Decide if you want to make payments annually, semiannually or monthly with direct bill or automatic bank withdrawals.

• Easy online tools: John Hancock provides an online estimator that gives you a ballpark figure based on age, gender and state of residence. Filing a claim is streamlined when you do it online.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor