Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had a long-term care policy from John Hancock for myself and my wife for many years -- I have just received a second appeal from john hancock concerning a rate increase on these policies -- the first increase was several years ago and the second one is now -- I have found in doing business with john hancock (both life insurance and long-term care) that they are a sorry bunch of non-caring money-hungry corporate pricks - their only interest is their bottom line --they try every method possible to get you to drop your policy (be it life insurance or long-term care) as you get older so they can weasel out of paying you any benefits -- I have never had such a sorry experience with such a sorry company -- I would never ever do any further business with them -- They should not be allowed to do business as they are a total scam.

Original review: April 11, 2020

My grandfather had paid over $60,000 in premiums and when he wanted to get home assistance while he's on chemotherapy and my grandmother is incapacitated, and this company has just continually delayed by saying they don't have enough information, or they need this person's license, or the name of that facility, etc. Each time you get closer it's like a new thing that they need pops up. Like they're just waiting for you to apply to tell you these requirements exist so they can draw out the process. He has needed help on multiple occasions due to my grandmother's falls and vertebral compression fractures and him being on chemotherapy getting blood transfusions for the past year, and never managed to get them to cover a dime of the home care he needed. He had to pay it all out of pocket.

If that wasn't enough, they made a "clerical error" in which they contacted the distributor of his federal retirement pension claiming that he owed them $3,000. They were successful and they actually managed to finagle that money right out of his retirement check. It took many phone calls to get that money returned to him, after which John Hancock claimed it was a "mistake".

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I bought 2 long term care policies to protect me and my wife when I retired 20 years ago. The financial analyst told me the company had never raised premiums on this type of policy in the past. Now that we are reaching the age that we may need coverage, the company is raising premiums every other year. This is why people hate insurance companies. I believe that a company that does this type of unscrupulous practices should be put out of business. I think that I should have the ability to get a refund on all my premiums. These are not honest policies. John Hancock is a scam!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

John Hancock LTC Insurance is one of the biggest scams and has been ripping off so many elderlies in times of desperate needs. My father who is almost 90 years old purchased LTC insurance back in 1998 for my mom who is 85 and suffers from Parkinson and other illnesses. The Rep./Agent (John **) who sold the LTC life insurance to my father blatantly lied about the policy coverage, no price increases, etc. Beside the fact that there were many premium increases for which my father paid, they have made it very difficult to say the least to get my mom the needed help. My father has been paying out of his pocket the Home Health Care for my mom. Since 2016, John Hancock is no longer providing LTC insurance and are making it very difficult for the existing policy holders to submit a claim.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

John Hancock Long Term Care is unethical and irresponsible in their treatment of Senior Citizens. After paying for 22 years, at age 95 my mom was denied services. The appeal process is long and designed to delay payment of benefits as long as possible. The company sends letters from employees that you cannot call directly. The service is very poor. Concern for their premiums not for their elderly clients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Please beware of this company that preys on the elderly! My parents have been paying into their JH long term care plan since 1997. This last year, while tending to my father as he was dying, my 83 year old mother became eligible to start her long term care payments. But because during this time of stress she lost track of her account and missed 4 payments, the account was reduced so she can only recoup 20% of what she paid into it.

So she paid $42,000 into the account over 21 years, and now that she is in assisted living and needs the income she has been paying for, the most she can receive back is $8400, which covers about 2 months. Please read the fine print and make sure someone is managing your account if you go with this company. But better not to take on John Hancock because if you slip up one time, you will lose. My parents trusted this company with their hard earned savings and now my widowed mother has nothing to show for their "investment".

Original review: July 19, 2019

I just got off the phone with John Hancock. Specifically the supervisor Redd. She stated she is the only Redd that works there. I am my husband's agent. I have power of attorney. He is unable to speak and care for himself. Rather than ask for a written copy of the power of attorney Redd told me and my husband that he had to give the address and birth date before she would be able to speak with me and he did struggle to try to speak with them during the almost hour communication that we had with them. Furthermore Redd said she'd had no idea where my husband's money is. She also said that she had no idea beforehand what company my husband worked for. She didn't see it at all and he had to repeat it at least five times. He just had throat surgery. He just had major surgery.

I am pissed. And not only is Redd incompetent and has no idea what company my husband works for or where his money is. She's also extremely rude and butts into my personal conversation I'm having with my husband stating that John Hancock's customer service is horrible and we are pulling our money out. I told her it was none of her ** business and that he is my husband. She is not. I definitely do not recommend John Hancock to anyone anytime. This is happened to our Union here many times already from what I understand and also our union representative has been talked down to as well. Not happy John Hancock.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I am surprise anyone finds John Hancock to be a reputable company. My husband was a federal employee and signed up for extended care after a federal seminar in 2002 explaining his benefits. John Hancock was one of several vendors invited to promote their services during this seminar. Our premiums were always paid in full and on time. When he became disabled our nightmare began. In short, we have been passed around like a sack of trash from one voice on the phone to another. This is the situation as I see it: WE PAY for excellent health coverage. Our health insurance paid expenses for his initial extended care.

They were reimbursed by Medicare which WE ALSO PAID FOR. WE ALSO PAY JOHN HANCOCK FOR THE SAME CARE. So, essential we have overlapping coverage. Imagine that I had overlapping homeowners insurance and our house burnt down. One company steps up, pays our loses and we build a new house. Now the other company, that I can compare with JOHN HANCOCK, sits back and waits until it is built and settled, then says,"You don't need a new house. You already have one. We're not paying you, and there is nothing you can do about it." That is where we are. NEVER TRUST JOHN HANCOCK.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My mother and father took out a JHLTC policy over 30 years ago and always made the payments on time. Two years ago dad goes in and out of nursing care facilities and in home care due to falls, memory loss, and dementia issues. Twelve months ago he was admitted full time to long term care. So Mom starts calling and emailing John Hancock repeatedly in an attempt to file a claim. No one from JHLTC responded. Recently she ask for help and I filed a claim several months ago on the JHLTC website which ask for lots of details. Weeks pass with no information, then a JHLTC nurse visit to assess dad. Then a month passes, no info so I call JHLTC and they tell me they don't have the info needed to proceed which was the exact same info I submitted on their website.

Now they are claiming they don't know this provider and need an application and license. Well the administrators at the facility tell me they have dozens of patients using JHLTC. All this is BS is simple delaying tactics to avoid payments. Looking for a lawyer now as I can see this is headed to court as I expect huge issues from JHLTC with the effective date and trying to recover past payments. Service is everything, especially when you need it most. Trying to screw elderly people out of money they need for care is a special sin.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Did you buy Long Term Care Insurance from John Hancock? In 2003 my husband and I enrolled in the John Hancock Long Term Care Insurance. What was particularly appealing to this policy is that it partnered with New York State. About five years ago they increased our premium: mine increased 100% - it doubled! My husband’s increased 60%. Last year we got another notice of premium increase, this time of 15% with definitely more to follow in the near future. I see this as a clear example of “bait and switch”. We are in a no-win situation. We have paid them thousands of dollars over the past sixteen years. If we drop out now we have really lost this money! If we stay in we can’t afford the increases as both of us are retired and live on Social Security.

I appealed to the New York State Department of Financial Services. They were not helpful, saying that John Hancock legally can do this. While this may be legal, I see it as unethical and situations like this need to be addressed legally. I also appealed to Senator Gillibrand’s office and a staff member got back to me saying nothing could be done. I think all of us in this situation need some form of re-dress. Contact your State Senators and your representative in Congress. Maybe if enough complaints pour in something positive may happen. If John to S Hancock made a mistake in setting their original premium amounts then they should be responsible for their mistake, not us. Ask John Hancock be refrained from any further premium increases and/or return the thousands of dollars people have paid in useless premiums over the years. Act Now!

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

John Hancock insures more than 3.5 million policyholders, paying out $2.3 billion each year in claims. The company currently only accepts new policies for federal employees.

• Compare insurance options: Select from long-term life insurance, permanent life insurance and vitality programs. There is a comprehensive overview of the different packages available and an explanation of the coverage for different tiers.

• Lifestyle benefits adjustments: A long-term care insurance policy change doesn't mean you need a new policy. Instead, John Hancock works with your existing policy to adjust coverage levels and long-term care premiums to meet your current needs.

• Flexible payments: Decide if you want to make payments annually, semiannually or monthly with direct bill or automatic bank withdrawals.

• Easy online tools: John Hancock provides an online estimator that gives you a ballpark figure based on age, gender and state of residence. Filing a claim is streamlined when you do it online.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor