3.9/5 (130 ratings)

About John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Original review: July 20, 2021

We pay $3600 per person per year for long term. I thought it was a waste of money and surely, there would be some sort of catch. The catch is - the long term care pays you up to $9500 per month for five years. It ends in five years. That was the catch. Would we ever use it? Fast forward to 2015 when our dad reached age 75 and couldn't really walk so we moved him into a home. John Hancock paid the entire bill every single month. He died in 2020. John Hancock's five year expiration was two months away - so we never had to pay a cent out of pocket for retirement care. If you're on the fence, I would consider this a sign to signup and get prepared for if this happens.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I have paid into this policy for myself for the past 18 years. I am a Federal Annuitant, and the payment was automatically withdrawn from my bank account each month. My health deteriorated to the point where I needed to begin the claim process recently. I filed a claim, received a telephone call from a case worker who explained the process fully, filled out the required forms and within a couple of weeks was told by the same case worker that my claim had been approved.

There was a waiting period before I could be reimbursed for my caretaker's expenses, which I knew from having read the literature when I first signed up for the policy almost 20 years ago. Since then, I weekly email the insurance company the two required verification forms, and within less than a week, the company reimburses me directly into my bank account. I have read the other reviews about this company on your website, and find that my experience has been quite positive. While it is true that there is paperwork involved, I think that is only to be expected.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2021

My wife and I have had John Hancock long-term care insurance for about 10 years now. There have been numerous premium increases throughout the years. We now pay about $2000 a year for me and $1400 a year for her policy. Close to $30,000 over ten years. Just got a letter yesterday that our premiums will increase by 25%, phased in until the new optimal premium is reached for us old folks who may require LTC in the future. Based on their recent demographics, apparently just completed, they're anticipating raising rates by 30%. They claim they didn't anticipate people getting older and needing care. What a surprise.

They say they can't cancel the policies outright but nothing prevents them from raising premiums enough to drive existing policyholders out of the market. They like those young potential policyholders. Lots of premium income, lower risk. In my opinion this is just a way for JH to cancel policies of older policyholders without saying outright that they are cancelling policies. Especially of older policyholders that are more likely to need LTC. The insurance regulators are all thumbs up. Go for it! Based on our current premiums our new combined premium would increase (at 30%) from about $3400 per year to about $4400 per year. That's what they are admitting to now.

Next year when they find out that more people are getting old than they anticipated who knows? All I can say is congratulations to the current JH CEO (making $3,386,253 in compensation in 2020). You have outsmarted the insurance regulators and driven us out of the LTC market. Can't justify the expense anymore. Mission accomplished. I can see an increase in your compensation coming in the near future as you are obviously underpaid. I hope someone asks me about recommendations for JH. I can't say what I really think about JH but I think you get the drift.

Original review: June 2, 2021

My parents have paid into this policy for over twenty years. I guess the law allows JH to increase premiums which they have done over that period on a regular basis. Before my dad died, after extraordinary effort on our part, my family was able to begin receiving some reimbursement for some of his extra care. He died 3 years ago. Now my mom, 96, needs extra care. We are reliving the frustration of applying for reimbursement, running out the 100 days “elimination period” (this means they don’t pay any reimbursement for the first 100 days when you incur the expense), submitting invoices and calling them to find out what is going on. Maybe all these companies and policies try to take advantage of the insured. John Hancock is certainly among them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

My mother paid $1,600 a year for 15 years. Now that she needs help at home this company makes it so hard to make a claim. You get sent from one department to another with no help whatsoever. Then when I finally get to ask what her benefits pay for they tell me that there is a 20 day grace period before they will start to payout. Unfortunately we need help now and I do not believe my mother will even make the 20 days before it kicks in. They have failed my mother and my family in so many ways.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Tragically John Hancock is very far behind with technology and catering to members that have been with them for more than 20 years. There is no way to pay for their services except by snail mail or a automatic withdrawal out of your bank account which I disagree on both options. There should be pay over the phone or on their website. Their insurance is no different than paying for medical insurance or auto insurance hence it is insurance. It's not a security thing. It is a lack of organization thing sadly.

They said last year and they have said this year that they were going to have it in place and obviously the board that is in charge of John Hancock is simply sleeping at the wheel and doesn't care about their members. There is no other way to put it. You want people to pay for your services but you make it uncomfortable for people to do so. So two stars is too generous but you're just getting that anyways. I look forward to hearing from John Hancock on this issue to argue that they're behind the times. It would be a fun conversation.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I have been trying to resolve a claim for my deceased friend (I am the Executor of the Estate) for the last 6 months. After 11, yes 11 phone calls and endless paperwork being sent John Hancock finds one excuse after another of why they will not pay the claim. He has $20,000 he paid into this policy and the bill is for $4000. It has been the most appalling and frustrating experience....Please do not buy insurance from John Hancock....When you are at your most vulnerable after dealing with a death of a family member/friend John Hancock will not be supportive or helpful and will NEVER pay the claim. It’s a complete waste of money. They are not worthy of even one star!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Just got off the phone for the 10th? time. We filed a claim on behalf of our father who has since passed. After filling out all the forms and having the Doctor fill out the forms and the Caretaker fill out forms, along with check stubs, daily logs etc. I was again just told they did not get a form from the Doctor. That another company handles that part yet since that happened the claim stopped. Not sure why it was not restarted she said, but they dropped the ball and now 6 months later will ask for the forms again. This is after "losing" the check stubs and other forms once already. It all seems that the whole process is to delay, delay delay and hope you go away.

My father paid for years thinking he had a policy that would help provide care for him if he needed it. That is the principle here as it turns out he just seems to have thrown his money away to a company that was happy to take it with the promise of helping with the care if it was needed, but does everything in its power and manipulates the truth to not pay on valid claims for reimbursement! What company tells you months later at the end of a claim when you have jumped through all the hoops, even sending mail certified now to prove they got it, and are waiting for payment that one for was missed by their sub company. That they dropped the ball and not sure why it was not addressed then... so now they have to go back to the Doctors to get a form to show that my father; with dementia and shriveling away overnight needed care. Care that the Doctor and we all knew he needed to stay alive.

We paid the Caretaker to care for our Father knowing that he had a policy without a thought of getting reimbursed as we had all the documentation to prove it. I at first could not believe that the mistakes or delaying measures were done on purpose, yet now the whole process has shown that the whole process with John Hancock Long Term Care Insurance is based on delaying and denying with this family till we go away and the claim is not paid. Never would have believed it, yet I have all the documents to make it plain that either they are incompetent and just lose documents and the mail never arrives or they are doing it all on purpose to not pay the claim.

All this on top of getting my Father to go from paying approx. 350.00 per year for 104.00 per day help... to paying 875.00 per year for 109.00 per day help... a 5 dollar a day increase for 525.00 per year more. Sadly I believe they did this knowing he was not as sharp as he was and literally took advantage of him to do the premium increase that makes no sense and one that he in his right mind would have never made. More details later but we were not aware of how bad his memory was; even then; until the bills weren't getting paid and we had to step in and get involved to keep him from getting ripped off by other companies.

The company could step in and easily address these issues yet if you read; like I did; the thousands of other complaints you will find they are all very similar and show that this appears to be John Hancock's Policy of how to not pay the claims to make more for the bottom line. Where we all thought they were there to pay the claims to help their clients and have found that is not the case at all. I am to file complaints wherever I can about the ripoff claims process and how I believe they knowingly got my ill father to pay for an increase on the policy that makes no since at all. John Hancock at this point was not there for him, rather they were there to take advantage of our ill DAD.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

John Hancock Long Term Healthcare in 2007 was one of the very best health care plans available. We had experience having to deal with a healthcare plan for my father in law. It was not a good experience and for that reason we looked at John Hancock and realized that their plan avoided most if not all of the pitfalls of my father in law's policy. We took out a policy for my and myself at $1016 per year for myself and $1204 per year for my wife. In 2012 my policy increased to $1250 per year. Again in 2019 my policy increased to $1370 per year. That is a combined premium of #2850 per year. Now with this obvious ploy to force us out of our long healthcare plan we have come to the realization that John Hancock was no better than all the other so called Healthcare companies on the market.

As of this date we have paid to John Hancock Long Term Healthcare a total of $28,689.15 and have received absolutely nothing in return for our investment. We are faced with a 30% increase in our premiums and are now having to decide whether or not to continue throwing good money after bad or not. My only alternative is to seek legal advice and see if there may be a pending class action lawsuit available.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My legacy blind mother was denied her policy after years of paying into it. Trying to appeal this claim, this company has given me the run around and has yet to provide an explanation as to the reasoning behind the denial of the claim. Perhaps a lawsuit is the next necessary step.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had a long-term care policy from John Hancock for myself and my wife for many years -- I have just received a second appeal from john hancock concerning a rate increase on these policies -- the first increase was several years ago and the second one is now -- I have found in doing business with john hancock (both life insurance and long-term care) that they are a sorry bunch of non-caring money-hungry corporate pricks - their only interest is their bottom line --they try every method possible to get you to drop your policy (be it life insurance or long-term care) as you get older so they can weasel out of paying you any benefits -- I have never had such a sorry experience with such a sorry company -- I would never ever do any further business with them -- They should not be allowed to do business as they are a total scam.

Original review: April 11, 2020

My grandfather had paid over $60,000 in premiums and when he wanted to get home assistance while he's on chemotherapy and my grandmother is incapacitated, and this company has just continually delayed by saying they don't have enough information, or they need this person's license, or the name of that facility, etc. Each time you get closer it's like a new thing that they need pops up. Like they're just waiting for you to apply to tell you these requirements exist so they can draw out the process. He has needed help on multiple occasions due to my grandmother's falls and vertebral compression fractures and him being on chemotherapy getting blood transfusions for the past year, and never managed to get them to cover a dime of the home care he needed. He had to pay it all out of pocket.

If that wasn't enough, they made a "clerical error" in which they contacted the distributor of his federal retirement pension claiming that he owed them $3,000. They were successful and they actually managed to finagle that money right out of his retirement check. It took many phone calls to get that money returned to him, after which John Hancock claimed it was a "mistake".

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

John Hancock insures more than 3.5 million policyholders, paying out $2.3 billion each year in claims. The company currently only accepts new policies for federal employees.

• Compare insurance options: Select from long-term life insurance, permanent life insurance and vitality programs. There is a comprehensive overview of the different packages available and an explanation of the coverage for different tiers.

• Lifestyle benefits adjustments: A long-term care insurance policy change doesn't mean you need a new policy. Instead, John Hancock works with your existing policy to adjust coverage levels and long-term care premiums to meet your current needs.

• Flexible payments: Decide if you want to make payments annually, semiannually or monthly with direct bill or automatic bank withdrawals.

• Easy online tools: John Hancock provides an online estimator that gives you a ballpark figure based on age, gender and state of residence. Filing a claim is streamlined when you do it online.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor