John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance

Compare Long Term Care Insurance Providers

Research top Long Term Care Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Please find enclosed in your form envelope 145-362 (rev 1/11). A void check which you request, Also find includes a void deposit slip, which I sent via fax to show the deposit slip, has the exact same information as the canceled check. The point being, that when I talked to one of your support staff last week, I was informed that a deposit slip was acceptable, which leads me to believe that your support unit is not knowledgeable about your procedures. I spent several hours dealing with your robotic phone system trying to get thru to a human only to be put on hold several time and transferred to different department only to get a nebulous answer that turned out to be worthless, and a complete wast of my time, when all I wanted was to transfer banking accounts, from one already set up to a new one.

Fact of the matter is, I am very disappointed in your company. Well really upset is more like it. In fact if I could cancel my long term care insurance policy without losing all the money I have put into premiums, I would do just that. If the agent that sold me the LTC policy had given me more information about the plan, and the fact there is no fundamental or intrinsic value to the policy and I would never be able to get the premiums back, I never would have purchased the policy and thrown 15,000 dollar worth of premiums down the toilet. Especially when I get notices years later that my premium rate has been raised and the benefits have been decreased to the point that the amount of time I would be covered and the amount of assistance I will receive is basically worthless considering the restriction put in place for what you will and will not cover.

A 90 year old insured with John Hancock has had multiple claims that apparently are denied. The insured has not received any explanation of benefits from John Hancock. A customer service rep is relaying the message when I called them. Initially we were told the providers were not their approved providers but they allowed us to apply to be approved; we were told later that they had approved the provider but two months later tell us that the provider was not approved. They lied, misled, deceived this insured. Does this website investigate issues or is this just a sounding board?

As most of the reviews I read indicate, JH long term care is difficult at best to deal with in a time of need. And yes, I also feel the same and I am a policy holder. We have endured price increases as others, and believe the selling agent (20 years ago) blatantly lied to us about the policy coverage, no price increases, etc. I am going to contact our state insurance division to see how many complaints have filed against JH before I need to file a claim in the future. At least now I know I'm not the only one with really negative feelings. Unfortunately most of the others were in immediate need of coverage. I'm going to compile every single piece of information, correspondence I have ever received from them and a copy of all payments I have made over the years to them. Maybe I will be prepared. It would great to know if anyone ever heard back from JH!

I'm 52 years old and been paying into LTC for 14 years. I just received another premium rate increase. I started LTC at an early age -- age 38 -- so that I would have a lower premium for life. Since enrolled, I have several price increases and a policy change. I'm not happy. I wish that I could get my money back; I feel as if I have been taken. I may have to drop the policy and lose my money. It is getting too expensive. John Hancock should be audited and sued. I was under the impression at 38 that my premium would stay low because I started the policy at a young age. Wrong! I am so piqued at this scam.

I have been paying into the LTC program for 12 years (about 32,000). A few years ago I had to drop the inflation coverage to 4% to keep the premium the same. NOW to keep my policy the same... they raised the rate to 566.00 a month from 250.00 a month. It feels like I am getting robbed. My premiums went up over two time what they were last years... Beware OPM and John Hancock's long term care policies. Perhaps... there is an agency who can look into this... It sure sounds like a fraudulent move. By the way, OPM had to approve the increase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Long-term health insurance payments are fully eligible for Health Savings Account (HSA) payments. John Hancock does not accept HSA debit or credit card payments, but will only accept checks. No HSA accounts that I've found issue checks. All HSA accounts that I've found only issue cards for payment. So essentially John Hancock refuses to accept HSA payments. I believe this little conundrum is their way of refusing to accept HSA account payments for long-term insurance.

My 86-year-old father has been paying premiums for over 20 years. Last fall, at his doctor's instruction, he moved into a nursing home and later, into an assisted living facility. (The local assisted living facility did not have space available initially.) After the 90-day exclusion period, I applied for benefits. It was like pulling teeth. John Hancock sent a nurse out to evaluate Dad, but the focus was clearly on physical abilities, not cognitive abilities. The claim was denied. After my mother passed away, my dad moved into a different assisted living facility that had more experience dealing with long-term care carriers, and they provided more documentation to support the claim. I filed my own complaint with the state insurance commissioner. Shortly thereafter, the claim was approved, and we have received payments since.

Dealing with the customer service is frustrating and extremely time-consuming. The representatives are very friendly, but the information provided is inconsistent and often just wrong. I was told many times that there would be a decision on the claim by a certain date. When I called on that date, I was told something completely different. If you were persistent in dealing with these folks, I think it would be quite easy to just give up. After going through this process with my father, I am disinclined to look into long-term care coverage for myself. The policy covers only about half of the cost of his assisted living facility, and it lasts for only three years. It certainly helps pay the bills, but it is not The Answer to ensuring a comfortable existence during old age.

Always helpful when I call in to talk with a representative. My questions were answered promptly and they make sure you get what you need. They give me what I need to feel secure and confident about the future. If I had to go with another provider I am not sure I could get the same coverage at the price. The coverage is great. I no longer have to worry about the future because all my needs will be met. I'm a happy panda bear. Hear me rawr. They provide a great value at an affordable price. I can't say the same for some of the other providers I have used in the past.

The customer service has been satisfactory and well worth the money. Friendly employees and very helpful when I've needed to talk to them. They have a good range of policy options uses to meet many wide ranges of people and options. They are tailored to meet the needs of the one applying. My long term care coverage is great and covers a lot. It meets my needs and I'm often updated on new options to add to my coverage as they appear. The value of my coverage is well worth what I pay since it covers a lot of low coverage and was compared to other company's values side by side.

Applying for long term care insurance is a nightmare with John Hancock. They denied both myself & my husband, yet issued a fictitious, worthless policy to one of us & drafted our bank account for it. They say they will refund our money. We'll see about that. Their underwriting department is evidently grossly inept. They denied me for a disease I have never suffered in my entire life. It was like pulling teeth, to get their denial letter only to find the reason I was denied was because of a disease I never suffered. They gave me a chance to challenge their decision via corrected health information from my doctor. I declined to go any further in the process. It was a long, tedious and totally frustrating experience. I would never buy any product from them. If I had this much trouble applying for the product, imagine how many problems I would encounter in ever submitting a claim!

The agents are very knowledgeable and friendly. They are eager to assist and always willing to go the extra mile to help and make sure that all questions have been answered. They provide a wide range of coverage and plans which make it easy to choose the plan which best fits your personal budget and goals and ensure that you get the best plan for your needs. I'm happy to have the knowledge and ability to know that no matter what happens I am secure and am able to face whatever comes at me ahead in my life. It makes me feel comforted that my family has the security of knowing that if anything happens that they are not going to adversely affected and that security is worth the world to me.

The customer service was good. They were helpful mostly. The customer service wait time was reasonable and they were patient with me and tried to answer all of my questions. The policy options were plentiful and reasonable. I looked and found things that I needed and looked for. I am satisfied with the policy options that were given to me. I am satisfied with the long term care insurance coverage given to me. The long term care insurance coverage covers what I need for a reasonable price. The perceived value is satisfactory for me. The coverage of the insurance is good and the price I pay for it seems worthwhile for what it costs.

John Hancock now pays for home care and the issue is resolved.

Ki Kta CHa Lo Wan Un of Scappoose, Oregon, OR on

Original Review

I have been paying for John Hancock LTC since 1989, as a benefit of working for IBM. My wife has had Alzheimer's since about 2000 but did not qualify for LTC Home assistance until 2015 when a full psych eval, in 2014, demonstrated, conclusively, that she could no longer perform the ordinary functions of daily living. I applied for reimbursement from John Hancock and got a large packet of information, much of it arcane. I had found a caregiver (Thanski) and had to have her apply for certification for John Hancock and they insisted I have a Registered Nurse supervise her.

Thanski was philosophically ideal and skilled for the job and has a Masters in this and like fields, but not medicine. I am a Native American, Lakotan, and live a traditional life within the bounds of suburban society, I expect my wife to be treated as our people would treat her. After arguing and being given specious reasons for not covering my wife, I applied to the Oregon Department of Consumers' Affairs, Insurance Division. This got the reimbursement to start and it has continued and is paying, direct deposit, now.

The Oregon website on caregivers has a section on caregiving for Native Americans and this was of great use in making our case. We expect something unique to our culture and this is explained there. Further, a member of the government staff made getting John Hancock to pay her crusade and she was very effective. John Hancock referred to her, in their contacts with me as being just super to work with, and to make my case. She had the power to recommend that John Hancock not be allowed to do business in Oregon, if that was needed.

Finally, I told John Hancock that I assumed, when I got the policy, that I could direct the LTC as our people see that sort of thing, not in any arbitrary way John Hancock wished to direct. If they would not honor this, then they owed me all the years of payments I made at the average 12% per year compounded because we had not, without a meeting of minds, entered into a contract. This is what I was faced with; this is what it took and this is how I now get reimbursement for Thanski as she works with my wife. Thanski is very effective and her program is extremely effective. We no longer have arguments with John Hancock and all is well.

Purchased our long term care insurance several years ago. So far we have paid over $20000 premiums. When we purchased the insurance we were told it would never go up, never told of the monthly limitations & we were not told of the first 90 days not being covered. The premiums have gone up drastically so we are dropping the policy because it probably will keep going up. The company is horrible!

We just finished the task of getting my 84 year old mother’s LTC policy "reinstated". J Hancock's Manila based answering center had ANOTHER POLICY HOLDER change her billing address so we never received an invoice for her March portion. They canceled her policy for "non payment". They NEVER contacted us or her agent. They claimed she changed her address when we found out it was a woman in VW that changed her address. We even caught this error in March and they never corrected it. Worst overseas call center ever. No call backs. Never get anything. Sent POA three times. They violated HIPAA laws and we never got any real action from them until we refused to get off the phone and just kept asking for supervisors.

The Manila folks will never call/email you back. The people in Boston will never ever call you back and you have to just tell them you won't get off the phone until you see an email reply. Ignore the fake 4 star reviews and read all the real ones as they are one star. NEVER EVER do business with this company. They will sell you a policy that you'll never be able to use or get paid on. Customer Service is a joke.

My mother-in-law has been paying for her policy for over 20 years. She was diagnosed in 2009 with Alzheimer's and this year became too confused to remain living alone. Her doctor revoked her license after she repeatedly got lost while driving and eventually caused an accident. We moved her into an assisted living facility and filed for her long term benefits. John Hancock denies her claim, stating she is not cognitively impaired. She was evaluated twice by the medical staff of the approved facility and they found her to be impaired using the SAME mental status evaluation instrument specified in the long term care policy.

This woman cannot remember how to work a coffee pot, stove, microwave or other appliances. She can't remember if she has taken her blood pressure or thyroid medications. She can't remember her house alarm code or how to operate the alarm system. However, John Hancock claims she does not qualify for assisted living benefits she has paid more than $50,000 in premiums for. She is going bankrupt very quickly while this company refuses to honor their promise made to her that they would provide care for her if she became unable to care for herself.

My mother has been paying a significant payment for her long-term care for 19 years. She is now 95 and had to move into assisted living. The process to get all her claim information in and the process started was long and arduous. Given I had the time to sit on hold to get questions answered, the representative I finally reached had virtually NO knowledge of my question... Finally, I was able to get the claim off the ground and approved. After sending in bills for 4 months, I cannot get a response. I get the note which says that the email was received, and nothing further. Once again today, I called. It took a full hour of sitting on hold to be told that payment on my claim was being escalated and that I should call back if I heard nothing within 5 days. Infinite loop??

Last year, my mother entered hospice care. Initially, Long Term Care Partners (a wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock Life & Health Insurance Company) told my sister that it would take months before my mother's benefits would kick in, but my sister did a little research and informed Long Term Care that hospice benefits were supposed to start immediately. My mother soon passed away. Long Term Care refused to pay the hospice care providers.

After many weeks and many calls, I finally convinced Long Term Care to put in writing what they needed in order to pay the hospice bill. Their subsequent email stated they would not accept a valid will or death certificate. Long Term Care demanded the estate executors fill out an Authorization to Use & Disclose Health Information about Me form and probate paperwork. The cost for probate is more than the $600+ bill that we received for hospice care, so my sister and I just paid our mother's hospice care providers.

While handling a claim for my mother in Hospice care I routinely submit qualifying documents via email. Within minutes an email is sent out confirming receipt. Then another and another the next day for the same submission. Do NOT believe it! Recently I waited 45 days for payment. When it was not received I called only to be told (by someone not in the U.S. with the fake name Mike) "we never got your email." And never mind you have proof, those confirmations mean nothing. Not only that we are entitled 30 more days to process your payment. Word to the wise. Submit your paperwork, wait 48 hrs then call and make sure they see the document on the file while you are on the call. And whatever you do not buy "we will call you back." Won't happen.

Once again, we see large business getting the freedom to make bad business decisions and then increase their customers' rates beyond belief. It really feels like a bait and switch. They tell us we have a choice: Pay more for the same benefits we originally signed up for or keep our premiums the same and reduce our benefits. Brings back all of the nightmares from the banks. We're again experiencing that lawmakers are scared to death of losing their financial support from the lobbyists. They're too big to fail! And we consumers have no choice other than to pay or lose all that we've put in. If the insurance companies want to save $s they should simply support all states to approve "Death With Dignity." It would certainly be a lot cheaper, of course, they would make any money!!

My husband had dementia. We bought our JH policy when we were in our seventies. We opted for the shared plan. When he was home I occasionally paid a sitter. My former agent told me to fill out their form for contracting outside help. The policy wouldn't pay for it but it counted toward the ninety day delay in starting the claims. Later my husband went into the Mississippi State Home for Veterans. During his time there JH paid each claim without question. When he died the balance on his policy was passed to me. When the policy increased I agreed to a lower increase by agreeing to a lower covered inflation. The policy clearly states that there might be an increase in costs, I do agree that customer service is terrible. My heart sinks whenever I receive a letter from John Hancock. It means another long frustrating phone conversation. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Manulife now owns JH it seems. Maybe that is the reason.

My experience with John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance has been uniformly superb. In recovery from several heart surgeries, I activated my long-term care insurance with minimal delay. I would recommend John Hancock to anyone and everyone who needs efficient management of care and related payments.

I just received not one but two bills for long term care insurance policies for people that I have no idea who they are. I don't know how John Hancock Long Term Care got my information as I do not deal with them, do not have policies with them and certainly do not have long term care through them. If they are this incompetent to send me policy bills for not one but two people that have never resided at my house are not members of my family, I certainly would not feel comfortable ever doing business with them. I had to put one star rating but certainly I give something like this is zero.

My Mom & Dad have been paying LTC premiums to John Hancock through Bell Atlantic for 23yrs. The amount exceeds $50,000. Now that my Dad needs to apply for medicaid being in a nursing home for 3 months, for over 1 month we have been trying to get a letter from customer svc. to state that their policy is a reimbursement format. The lawyer my parents have needs this letter to apply for medicaid. My sister and myself have been dealing with this process well over 30 days.

First they said they could e-mail the letter to my parents lawyer. They said there was a password involved to bring up the e-mail. Using the password no one in the office could retrieve it. We had them send it to myself and my sister at her job. We could not bring the e-mail up. My sisters computer svc. tech also could not bring it up. Then they said they would mail the letter. For over 3 wks. we have been waiting.

Called back on 5/20/2015, talked to cust. svc. No letter had been mailed yet. This is going to cost my Mom another $8,000 for the nursing home care because the letter will not get to medicaid in time for a May payment. John Hancock LTC is a circus act. They are rated 1 star because that's as low as you can give them. They are in the business of taking advantage of the elderly and making the easiest request almost impossible! What happens when it's time for them to start actually paying out. What do we have to deal with then?

The policy is in the name ** when you need to check to see that he and my mom are enrolled for over 23yrs. Can anyone tell me what State or Federal consumer affairs organization to write to, to lodge a complaint against j.h.? How do they get away with doing business like this? PLEASE help me so my Mom doesn't go bankrupt because of their flagrant incompetence. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Very distraught!!

Just research this Company, there are hundreds & hundreds of negative testimonials. They are game players. They will let you know they can do whatever they want, tie your hands & you're at their mercy. Forget the hiring of an attorney thing, they will blow off your attorney completely as they did mine after I was rendered helpless & had to try anything. "Missing faxes", "missing pages" (when faxes are received). US mail "never received" different customer service reps each time, starts from square every time, more than cooperated with Cust serve faxed, certified mailed documents they requested, tons of long distance calls, kept in constant contact, if they wanted a fax I sent 5 over days, mailed several copies over days & yet, they got none. I was cool, jumped through hoops, cooperated beyond any reason.

Payments backed up 4 months, causing ripple effect mortgage missed, automated payments failed, late fees, ISF fees, lawyer costs all at my expense. Everything was squared away (I gave up on a couple requests) got the payments started up again months later with so much damage all at my expense. I'm caregiver for my fixed low-income sick parent who is the victim here & now they're starting it all over again 1 year later, paperwork they already have. Many times over, not there, pages missing, they send time-sensitive forms dated & you have one day to get it to them by the time you get it. I could keep going… forget getting past Cust serve, huge wall around any kind of management. Why listen to me?? Don't. Read about John Hancock, research it, class actions, all of it.

The place my mother wants to move is unlicensed but the healthcare is licensed. JH has approved the healthcare but not the apartment/ food / doctor trips and cleaning. Healthcare is approved for everything, which she does use. HELP, I've had numerous conversations and gotten different answers etc.

My mom has a JH LTC policy and has been involved in the claims process for a few years now. 89 and in a nursing home. I handle all her "business". Although her policy is as good one, and they have not attempted to refuse payments, dealing with their Customer Service is ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC. They do NOTHING to be customer friendly. I've wasted tons of time attempting to get them to do the most simple customer friendly things. And it only gets worse, never improves. The ONLY way to learn anything about a claim is to call, sometimes talking to incompetent representatives (always ask for a supervisor!!!). They send emails saying my scanned & emailed bill was received and then don't pay and say they never got it. They NEVER call if/when there is a problem. Their phone system asks for all the info (policy number, etc) and then the instant someone answers they ask all the questions all over again - EVERY SINGLE TIME.

For over 5 years payments for my LTC policy have been automatically withdrawn from my checking account every month. Then the withdrawals stopped after January 2015. Since I no longer get a snail mail bill, I did not notice this until I got a bill in the mail for past due payments. When I called JH Customer Service, I was told that my account was not set up for automatic payments but rather for direct billing. I told them that this was a mistake, because they had been withdrawing funds from my account for over 5 years. The so called customer service agent told me that I was wrong because my account was set up for direct billing. I once again told him that there was obviously something wrong with their system, because up until February a payment had been withdrawn automatically every month. He insisted that I was wrong, because his screen said that my account was not set up that way.

After several rounds of this nonsense I got quite heated, and he said that he would send an inquiry to the billing department and would call me back in 2 or 3 days. Needless to say, he never did. So, after a week elapsed with no word, I called again and got the same run around. I insisted, rather heatedly, on talking to a supervisor. Guess what, that jerk gave me the same run around and told me that I would have to submit a written request for the establishment of automatic payments.

Now I know why there are so many complaints about the JH Customer Service department. They clearly have no idea what customer service means. Instead of "The Customer Is Always Right," their motto seems to be "The Customer Is Always Wrong." Instead of starting an inquiry about what had gone wrong with their system, because this might be happening to other customers, they insisted that this was all my fault. Even the much maligned Comcast has a better customer service department in my experience.

My mother fell in Sept. 2014 and needed home care when she came home from a nursing home. When I initiated a claim with John Hancock, we were told my mother needed to satisfy a 60-day elimination period before they would cover costs of her care. She had been in a home in 2010 for a previous fall and I was told that her stay in that facility would count toward her elimination days. I was told over and over that this would not be a problem. I had the forms from the nursing home submitted and heard nothing from John Hancock. Meanwhile, my mother has been getting home care services and John Hancock has been using those bills to satisfy the 60 days, which means my mother would have to pay out of pocket for this in the amount of about $2000.00. About a month ago, I received a note saying they would not consider any days before Sept. 2014 for the elimination period.

When I called to ask about this, I have been told several stories. One said that when the nurse visited my mother for an initial evaluation, no one mentioned the first nursing home. Then I was told that they would send the request to use these days to specialists to review. Today I was told that it is their policy not to review anything before 360 days prior to a claim being made. This information is not in the policy, it's an internal rule. When I asked the supervisor why after all the phone calls, no one ever told me this until now, she couldn't answer me. When I asked why I was told specialists would review these bills when in fact this wasn't true because she was telling me about this internal rule, she could not answer that either. When I asked why after months of phone calls, I was first hearing about this internal rule, she went to find a manager and left me on hold for fifteen minutes only to return to tell me no one was available.

If the company has an internal rule, why would they not say anything? We could have left her in the nursing home and had Medicare cover this for many more days, but we felt it was better for her to be home and we had insurance after all. They are either criminals or the most incompetent company around. Stay away from them if you can.

Simply, John Hancock Insurance avoids paying on the long-term policies that they sell. JHI has created more loopholes and appeals and followups than is realistic for anyone to manage, let alone someone in need of the long-term care that they have paid for in full years ago! John Hancock Insurance is horrible to deal with.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

John Hancock insures more than 3.5 million policyholders, paying out $2.3 billion each year in claims. The company's A+ rating from A.M. Best lets consumers buy with confidence, as it shows John Hancock's ability to meet its financial obligations.

• Easy online premium estimator: Although other companies make you call to find out any information about costs, John Hancock uses an online estimator that can give you a ballpark figure based on age, sex and state of residence.
  • Compare different options: There is a comprehensive overview of the different packages available and an explanation of the coverage for different tiers.
  • Lifestyle benefits adjustments available: A policy change doesn't mean you need a new policy. Instead, John Hancock works with your existing policy to adjust coverage levels and premiums to meet your current needs.
  • Step-by-step online instructions: Buying a policy or filing a claim are easy through John Hancock. They put the instructions right on their website to make the process streamlined for policyholders and new customers.
  • Solid financial ratings: John Hancock has been rated A+ by A.M. Best, demonstrating their financial health and ability to meet their obligations to policyholders.
  • Best for Employers, parents, retirees and the elderly.

Compare Long Term Care Insurance