Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.68/5

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Tragically John Hancock is very far behind with technology and catering to members that have been with them for more than 20 years. There is no way to pay for their services except by snail mail or a automatic withdrawal out of your bank account which I disagree on both options. There should be pay over the phone or on their website. Their insurance is no different than paying for medical insurance or auto insurance hence it is insurance. It's not a security thing. It is a lack of organization thing sadly.

They said last year and they have said this year that they were going to have it in place and obviously the board that is in charge of John Hancock is simply sleeping at the wheel and doesn't care about their members. There is no other way to put it. You want people to pay for your services but you make it uncomfortable for people to do so. So two stars is too generous but you're just getting that anyways. I look forward to hearing from John Hancock on this issue to argue that they're behind the times. It would be a fun conversation.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I have been trying to resolve a claim for my deceased friend (I am the Executor of the Estate) for the last 6 months. After 11, yes 11 phone calls and endless paperwork being sent John Hancock finds one excuse after another of why they will not pay the claim. He has $20,000 he paid into this policy and the bill is for $4000. It has been the most appalling and frustrating experience....Please do not buy insurance from John Hancock....When you are at your most vulnerable after dealing with a death of a family member/friend John Hancock will not be supportive or helpful and will NEVER pay the claim. It’s a complete waste of money. They are not worthy of even one star!

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Just got off the phone for the 10th? time. We filed a claim on behalf of our father who has since passed. After filling out all the forms and having the Doctor fill out the forms and the Caretaker fill out forms, along with check stubs, daily logs etc. I was again just told they did not get a form from the Doctor. That another company handles that part yet since that happened the claim stopped. Not sure why it was not restarted she said, but they dropped the ball and now 6 months later will ask for the forms again. This is after "losing" the check stubs and other forms once already. It all seems that the whole process is to delay, delay delay and hope you go away.

My father paid for years thinking he had a policy that would help provide care for him if he needed it. That is the principle here as it turns out he just seems to have thrown his money away to a company that was happy to take it with the promise of helping with the care if it was needed, but does everything in its power and manipulates the truth to not pay on valid claims for reimbursement! What company tells you months later at the end of a claim when you have jumped through all the hoops, even sending mail certified now to prove they got it, and are waiting for payment that one for was missed by their sub company. That they dropped the ball and not sure why it was not addressed then... so now they have to go back to the Doctors to get a form to show that my father; with dementia and shriveling away overnight needed care. Care that the Doctor and we all knew he needed to stay alive.

We paid the Caretaker to care for our Father knowing that he had a policy without a thought of getting reimbursed as we had all the documentation to prove it. I at first could not believe that the mistakes or delaying measures were done on purpose, yet now the whole process has shown that the whole process with John Hancock Long Term Care Insurance is based on delaying and denying with this family till we go away and the claim is not paid. Never would have believed it, yet I have all the documents to make it plain that either they are incompetent and just lose documents and the mail never arrives or they are doing it all on purpose to not pay the claim.

All this on top of getting my Father to go from paying approx. 350.00 per year for 104.00 per day help... to paying 875.00 per year for 109.00 per day help... a 5 dollar a day increase for 525.00 per year more. Sadly I believe they did this knowing he was not as sharp as he was and literally took advantage of him to do the premium increase that makes no sense and one that he in his right mind would have never made. More details later but we were not aware of how bad his memory was; even then; until the bills weren't getting paid and we had to step in and get involved to keep him from getting ripped off by other companies.

The company could step in and easily address these issues yet if you read; like I did; the thousands of other complaints you will find they are all very similar and show that this appears to be John Hancock's Policy of how to not pay the claims to make more for the bottom line. Where we all thought they were there to pay the claims to help their clients and have found that is not the case at all. I am to file complaints wherever I can about the ripoff claims process and how I believe they knowingly got my ill father to pay for an increase on the policy that makes no since at all. John Hancock at this point was not there for him, rather they were there to take advantage of our ill DAD.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

John Hancock Long Term Healthcare in 2007 was one of the very best health care plans available. We had experience having to deal with a healthcare plan for my father in law. It was not a good experience and for that reason we looked at John Hancock and realized that their plan avoided most if not all of the pitfalls of my father in law's policy. We took out a policy for my and myself at $1016 per year for myself and $1204 per year for my wife. In 2012 my policy increased to $1250 per year. Again in 2019 my policy increased to $1370 per year. That is a combined premium of #2850 per year. Now with this obvious ploy to force us out of our long healthcare plan we have come to the realization that John Hancock was no better than all the other so called Healthcare companies on the market.

As of this date we have paid to John Hancock Long Term Healthcare a total of $28,689.15 and have received absolutely nothing in return for our investment. We are faced with a 30% increase in our premiums and are now having to decide whether or not to continue throwing good money after bad or not. My only alternative is to seek legal advice and see if there may be a pending class action lawsuit available.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My legacy blind mother was denied her policy after years of paying into it. Trying to appeal this claim, this company has given me the run around and has yet to provide an explanation as to the reasoning behind the denial of the claim. Perhaps a lawsuit is the next necessary step.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had a long-term care policy from John Hancock for myself and my wife for many years -- I have just received a second appeal from john hancock concerning a rate increase on these policies -- the first increase was several years ago and the second one is now -- I have found in doing business with john hancock (both life insurance and long-term care) that they are a sorry bunch of non-caring money-hungry corporate pricks - their only interest is their bottom line --they try every method possible to get you to drop your policy (be it life insurance or long-term care) as you get older so they can weasel out of paying you any benefits -- I have never had such a sorry experience with such a sorry company -- I would never ever do any further business with them -- They should not be allowed to do business as they are a total scam.

Original review: April 11, 2020

My grandfather had paid over $60,000 in premiums and when he wanted to get home assistance while he's on chemotherapy and my grandmother is incapacitated, and this company has just continually delayed by saying they don't have enough information, or they need this person's license, or the name of that facility, etc. Each time you get closer it's like a new thing that they need pops up. Like they're just waiting for you to apply to tell you these requirements exist so they can draw out the process. He has needed help on multiple occasions due to my grandmother's falls and vertebral compression fractures and him being on chemotherapy getting blood transfusions for the past year, and never managed to get them to cover a dime of the home care he needed. He had to pay it all out of pocket.

If that wasn't enough, they made a "clerical error" in which they contacted the distributor of his federal retirement pension claiming that he owed them $3,000. They were successful and they actually managed to finagle that money right out of his retirement check. It took many phone calls to get that money returned to him, after which John Hancock claimed it was a "mistake".

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I bought 2 long term care policies to protect me and my wife when I retired 20 years ago. The financial analyst told me the company had never raised premiums on this type of policy in the past. Now that we are reaching the age that we may need coverage, the company is raising premiums every other year. This is why people hate insurance companies. I believe that a company that does this type of unscrupulous practices should be put out of business. I think that I should have the ability to get a refund on all my premiums. These are not honest policies. John Hancock is a scam!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

John Hancock LTC Insurance is one of the biggest scams and has been ripping off so many elderlies in times of desperate needs. My father who is almost 90 years old purchased LTC insurance back in 1998 for my mom who is 85 and suffers from Parkinson and other illnesses. The Rep./Agent (John **) who sold the LTC life insurance to my father blatantly lied about the policy coverage, no price increases, etc. Beside the fact that there were many premium increases for which my father paid, they have made it very difficult to say the least to get my mom the needed help. My father has been paying out of his pocket the Home Health Care for my mom. Since 2016, John Hancock is no longer providing LTC insurance and are making it very difficult for the existing policy holders to submit a claim.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

John Hancock Long Term Care is unethical and irresponsible in their treatment of Senior Citizens. After paying for 22 years, at age 95 my mom was denied services. The appeal process is long and designed to delay payment of benefits as long as possible. The company sends letters from employees that you cannot call directly. The service is very poor. Concern for their premiums not for their elderly clients.

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

John Hancock insures more than 3.5 million policyholders, paying out $2.3 billion each year in claims. The company currently only accepts new policies for federal employees.

• Compare insurance options: Select from long-term life insurance, permanent life insurance and vitality programs. There is a comprehensive overview of the different packages available and an explanation of the coverage for different tiers.

• Lifestyle benefits adjustments: A long-term care insurance policy change doesn't mean you need a new policy. Instead, John Hancock works with your existing policy to adjust coverage levels and long-term care premiums to meet your current needs.

• Flexible payments: Decide if you want to make payments annually, semiannually or monthly with direct bill or automatic bank withdrawals.

• Easy online tools: John Hancock provides an online estimator that gives you a ballpark figure based on age, gender and state of residence. Filing a claim is streamlined when you do it online.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor