Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance?

Original review: April 30, 2019

My husband died on Jan 18, 2019. In the last 14 weeks my agent & I have sent 2 official copies of his DC as requested, 1 photocopy & one obituary. JH been called by two agents explaining that the requested official DC has been sent twice. In today's mail was yet a third request for an official DC. I only ordered 10 copies of my husband's DC. I refuse to send a third copy. These people are either totally inept or they enjoy tormenting people. I would not recommend them to anybody and certainly plan to lodge a complaint with the BBB and the insurance commission.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My husband and I paid faithfully into our Long Term Care Policies. Now we live in Assisted Living and husband is using his policy. Every month is stressful when trying to be reimbursed. One staff person will say that John Hancock never received the invoice. The next person will say that the invoice was late. They are dishonest. No one says the same. They will not permit anyone to talk to a supervisor/manager. Gave the wrong phone no. I am sorry we bought from John Hancock. I thought the name meant a reputable Company, but not so.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My mom has had a Long Term Care Policy since 1993. Now that she needs it, we can't get the reimbursement. Have met all requirements and deductibles. Have submitted claims. No answer. We call and there is always some sort of excuse. Going on my third call now. I have seen a few stories on this site that mirror my story. In my opinion this is financial exploitation of the elderly. If I get another excuse, then I will have to get a hold of the Insurance Commissioner of Washington, or possible an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

John Hancock is a large company with a generally good reputation, but I would advise staying away from them. In my case, they have not honored their commitment on a long-term care policy. I purchased two long-term care policies from John Hancock eleven years ago when my wife and I were 54 years old. We have made the premium payments without fail. However, because John Hancock underestimated the cost of delivering the promised benefits, they have come back to us three separate times in eleven years to reduce coverage and change the payment terms.

What would happen if the situation was reversed and they overestimated the price of premiums? I am guessing that they would not send me a check! Imagine what would happen if you bought life insurance or an annuity and they changed the coverage because they had underestimated the cost. Each person must make their own choice, of course, but there will be no more John Hancock insurance in our house. You may contact me if you want details.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Policy states product ceases when all monies used up OR for the life of the policy holder. Numerous calls and emails to no avail. JH denies their language in the policy. Any class actions suits I can join?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I purchased John Hancock LTC insurance 16 years ago when I was 52. I purchased the inflation and lifetime riders. Four years ago, before John Hancock was sold to a Canadian company, premium increases (as reported by the news on most LTC insurers) were sent to me. I was given options: Keep the benefits and increase the premium, keep the premium but reduce the benefits by either dropping the inflation rate and/or length of the lifetime term to 10 or less years. Since both of these riders are no longer offered and YOUR health and longevity determine the odds of your needing the benefits, I looked at my own case and determined that I would keep both benefits but reduce the annual inflation increase from 5% to 2.5%.

My mother is currently using her John Hancock LTC benefits at an assisted-living home. After the 90 days elimination period, my sister worked with my mother's John Hancock LTC agent (as is instructed by John Hancock) and set up an account for John Hancock to automatically deposit the monthly reimbursement invoiced by the home. Yes, it took about 3 months to get all the paperwork filed and processed but the payments were retroactive. The John Hancock LTC website has instructions on how to file claims. You should work through your agent to be sure the claims are processed effectively and efficiently. There are rules that John Hancock LTC needs to follow so you, too, should follow the rules.

Original review: May 1, 2018

John Hancock is the Absolute worst company I have EVER dealt with when it comes to customer service! We have been paying premiums with them since 2010. The current premium they charged for my mother is almost $14,000 per year. I submitted a claim in August 2017, which was subsequently "approved" in November 2017. Since then they have continued to ask for premium payments (even though no additional premium payments should be due once a claim is approved). Additionally they keep stalling and asking for additional information which has now been presented to them 2 and 3 times.

It seems that they continue to lose faxed documents in their interoffice mail system. It has now been 9 months since the claim was initiated, and 6 months since it was "approved." I have even recently gotten in touch with the State Attorney General's office to investigate this claim, and the company's business ethics in general. I am hopeful to be given some relief, but it is too early to tell. Even after informing a supervisor from John Hancock of my opening a case with the state attorney general, they still have lacked any urgency in returning any of my calls, faxes or emails. I am not suggesting that long term care is not a beneficial and even at times necessary insurance, but I would look for any other option besides John Hancock.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I am the adult daughter of a policyholder. My mother complained about the premium increase but she continued to pay each year from age 60 to 81. She died suddenly 6 months ago leaving my father who is 87 and has dementia. All of her benefits were assigned to him. I came to this site and read these reviews which was very troubling. I also read the policy. At first we kept my dad at home with home health agency. After getting through the 90-day elimination period, the checks started coming. This policy has provided us with much peace of mind about how we will take care of my dad. I am so thankful that my mom gave us this gift. We have asked the home health agency and an assisted living residence about their experience working with John Hancock, the response has been very positive. They do what they say they will do and they pay what they promised.

Each month they pay more for Dad's care than an entire year's premium. Our experience with their customer service has also been positive. Because of our experience with John Hancock we looked into buying a policy from them only to find they no longer sell them. As many of the other reviewers, I do not really trust insurance companies. They have raised your premiums and they are hoping you will drop the policy. If you really want to get back, keep paying the premiums.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Too pissed to go into detail. I'm cancelling my policy TODAY!! I found out that in order for them to honor my policy, they're increasing my monthly payment. And, this is just the 1st price increase, there will be several more in the future. After "donating" $23,550, I feel conned.

John Hancock Long-Term Care Insurance Company Information