Highmark

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Highmark?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Highmark?
    Price

Reviewed July 10, 2024

Upcharging $50 for the power charger for hearing aids. Like getting the hearing aids without the charger Is an option. Kind of piggy being at the CEO keeps bumping up their pay raise is $10 million and that was of 2022.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupCoverageSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed June 25, 2024

STAY WAY FROM HIGHMARK, PERIOD!!! AT ALL COSTS.

1- I chose top of the line coverage. For FEBRUARY Highmark changed my plan for the year to a more expensive lesser quality plan with double the OOP, a higher copay, and higher premium. And now is refusing to allow/pay for services under my plan as outlined in the summary of coverages and benefits PPO GOLD 0.

2- I injured my knee May 30, 24. After waiting well over a week to get in to a doctor's office. Dr said I needed an MRI then the see a Surgeon. Highmark refused to authorize an MRI stating the DR’s office did not state I was “injured, cannot walk or bend knee, or that I was in severe pain”. Of course Dr’s office said they did, so after 2 more weeks and a “dr to pier review” received authorization for MRI. My plan in-network copay for MRI $350. 1st phone call to HIGHMARK for a MRI facility was 2hrs. She said $600 MRI ded under the Gold 1500 plan. (Which I do not have after checking plan coverage outline).

2nd phone call to HIGHMARK 1hr 30 min WITH MY SELLING AGENCY on the line, Highmark verified I do have a $350 In-network ded for IMAGING (CT, PET, MRI’s) and emailed me a list of In-network radiology facilities to call. Finally made MRI appointment that was not 3 weeks away. HIGHMARK listed under the new authorization a $600 deductible. Appointment was then cancelled by facility. 3rd phone call to HIGHMARK was 2hr 57min and HIGHMARK rep refused to give me a facility for an MRI under my $350 ded in network plan. They played scam games by putting me on hold, then CHEL of HIGHMARK gave me Cardionet LLC for an MRI (which is a Biotel Heart Monitor facility not an IMAGING facility) then after confronting her with that, she gave me Quest Diagnostics (which again is a laboratory facility not an IMAGING facility). And Chell said she was a supervisor.

I then asked for her supervisor after her games and several hours, she sent me to a Supervisor Analyst of the Executive office and she said I would get a return call and I am still waiting for that call. Meanwhile I am in extreme pain, cannot walk or bend my knee since May 30th. How can a doctor and SPECIFICALLY AN INSURANCE COMPANY GET AWAY WITH LEAVING A PERSON IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN DELAYING TREATMENT for a month. This is INSURANCE FRAUD!! FYI they are still cashing my premiums monthly.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed June 10, 2024

I would have given it a 0, if there was an option. My daughter had been trying to get her claims paid for a whole year. They have been denied because they think there is another primary insurance. We have proved to them there is any other insurance, many many times and they still refuse to address it. Now the debt collector is after us. The amount of time we have spent on phone calls and the stress is crazy!

Reviewed May 9, 2024

If you ever need a prior authorization for an emergency medication that your doctor prescribes, prepare for it to be denied. Not sure why I pay an arm and a leg every month for insurance when someone sitting behind at a desk more than likely with no medical knowledge, can just deny a medication that my child’s doctor says she needs based on a few key words and certain requirements. Ridiculous.

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Have wasted more of my time than I would like to admit with trying to receive reimbursement for covered expenses from this company. I am starting to think they deny claims that are legit for bogus reasons to see if they can get out of, or delay, paying claims. When I have called to question the reason the claim was denied, I have had the customer service representative, after looking over the claim, tell me that they don’t know why the claim was denied. (This has happened to me more than once for two different claims.)

Since, I am a stubborn person, I keep calling and I have eventually received a reimbursement check MANY months later. (This has happened twice). Unfortunately, I am working on my third claim that hasn’t been reimbursed even 4 months later. A Highmark representative has told me that it usually takes 30-45 days for claim reimbursement. There should be a law that the insurance company must pays interest (maybe after 45 days) on the money they withhold from their client.

Staff

Reviewed April 16, 2024

Classic case of an insurance company who never sees you but tells you what your doctor prescribes is just not needed even though they are a specialist that you were referred to due to severe symptoms that the regular primary care could not solve. Rx denied so I had to pay out of pocket but at least the Rx solved the problem. Highmark is all about paying as little as possible and their consistent 1-star rating reflects this.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed April 6, 2024

I enrolled in a premium plan which costs a substantial amount annually (more than $33,000 a year - both my share and and my employer's) for a family coverage. Despite the high cost, the plan often complicates covering even small prescriptions, like a $40 medication. If you pay out-of-pocket and file for reimbursement, the process is exceedingly inefficient and cumbersome, seemingly designed to dissuade people from pursuing small reimbursements, considering the extensive time investment needed for multiple mailings and follow-ups. It appears that no action is taken on claims for months unless you repeatedly contact them to prompt a response.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed March 27, 2024

After having CIGNA for years my company switched to Highmark. One week after my routine yearly physical and bloodwork I received a bill for $800 because Highmark only covered half of the blood work tests done. This was very upsetting since it was just a yearly physical, I called member services but they said there’s nothing they can do. Highmark only covers a handful of the bloodwork tests. This makes me not want to have any physicals in the future. Sad.

Online & App

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2023

They need to make their app easier to use. It is very poorly done. Every time I try to select a doctor it sends me to another site that doesn't load. It is very confusing and discouraging. I wish it ran like Kaiser's patient portal.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

Have had work covered health insurance for 50 years and most of that time have had no issues (MVP). I'm retired and my former employer canceled our previous insurance and offered this mess stating it was comparable to our MVP. Well I had to contribute to my premium for my last 10 months before going on medicare. To say the least it was my worst experience with insurance in my working career. My first appointment involved bloodwork with a scheduled office visit. Well I get a bill on my portal saying I owed $585 out of pocket wth? Never in my life has this happened.

Called customer service and I kid you not was on hold for 2 freaking hrs. and when I did get to talk they said this couldn't be handled by that rep. Had to call the broker who actually sold the insurance to the municipality I had worked for. She did get it resolved but I ran into the same problems with 2 following Dr. visits. Worst experience I have ever had in my career with insurance, actually I would rate it 0 instead of 1 star. I knew there was trouble with it when you are put on hold for 2 hrs. That's telling me numerous customers were having trouble actually made me nauseous and then to get denied action after 2 hrs. Of listening to repetitive on hold music that will test anybody's fortitude! Avoid this insurance or you'll probably end up on blood pressure meds.

Highmark Company Information