1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

296 Health Net Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In 2018 I was in California, out-of-network, and broke a rib. Went to ER to be treated. Claim was sent to Arizona Priority Care as requested on the back of the insurance card. Turns out APC doesn't handle out-of-network so it should be sent to Health Net/Allwell for them to handle. Hospital had to search for the correct address and resubmit the claim. HealthNet denied it, no reason. Every time you call to get the reason you get another agent that only can take notes and forward them. Can never talk to a person that can give an answer. Now I'm afraid they will eventually deny it due to time limit exceeded. If you signed up with them for 2019 you have my sympathy. If you have to go out-of-network be sure to stay in close contact with the doctor/hospital to keep on top. No Star! One star because I have to.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Confusing website - didn't recognize my subscriber number. Created an account, didn't recognize my password - tried to change password, didn't recognize email or subscriber number. Way too frustrating and didn't even get into website yet.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had an emergency overseas. Plan says will reimburse up to $50,000. Submitted a claim in July 2018. No one can provide any information as to why the claim was not been processed. No one ever returns a call. They say they will return. Worst plan ever.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

This company doesn’t deserve to exist. It doesn’t respect the customer, and the doctors. Right now I’m trying to call them and for the second time it got disconnected. They simply didn’t process any of the claims correctly. Most of my EOBs were wrong, and mistakes are for example, I only go to providers and they send the EOB saying that the doctor is NON Network provider. It’s very irritating!!! I have to call them almost every other day to complain. Don’t buy their health insurance! I have a good PPO, I pay good money and have no respect whatsoever! ZERO STARS!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

This contractor is a disgrace to our veterans and families. Active duty service members go to military clinics so they may not be as affected by TRICARE Prime outside of the facilities. But our veterans and families are! Worst contractor yet. Provider directories are very inaccurate. Most doctors within the directory don’t exist or don’t even accept Tricare. Also, if you do happen to find a provider you realize that they are very incompetent and don’t even know how Tricare works. I haven’t had care in a long time, due to these issues. It’s almost like I don’t have insurance at all. I can’t even imagine how many other families are affected by this. I really hope something changes because having this type of substandard insurance for another 5 years is just inconceivable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We have Health Net Health Insurance through Covered California. The specific plan is called Hill Physicians Enhancedcare PPO. My husband severely injured his lower back on August 28, 2018. He went to his primary care physician who ordered an X-ray to determine extent of the cause. The X-ray showed severe damage to his lower spinal discs. The PCP referred him to 4 different spine specialists who ended up not taking our insurance. We found out that there is not a specialist in Sacramento who will take the type of insurance we have. There was one specialist who did see my husband and recommended an MRI, but could not see him anymore after it was determined that their practice does not take our insurance. That wasted 8 weeks of time that my husband was in severe pain and unable to work with no income.

Then 2 weeks later my husband's PCP ordered the MRI. The pre-authorization has been denied twice even though 2 doctors highly recommended it. Health Net uses an outside source to do their pre-authorization called National Imaging Associations who is not governed by any agency so they cannot be held accountable. When I contacted Health Net to appeal the decision, I was told that it had to be done through National Imaging Associations. When I contacted National Imaging Associations, I was told that I had to file the appeal through Health Net.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Wife & I live in Oregon and signed up Dec 2017 for Health Net Violet 2. Jan 2018 noticed that their medical claim dept in Calif had our mailing address wrong. The drug claim dept (at the same address in Calif) has our correct mailing address as does the billing dept who sends us our monthly statements so they get their premium payments! Numerous calls to their customer service over several months and even e-mail to their corporate office has resulted in no correction or even a callback.

Our insurance agent, who we signed through, has tried for months, even working with the Health Net representative who covers our area with no correction. Even asked for help from SHIBA (gov't. agency set up to help senior citizens with health ins problems). Still with no correction. We are concerned about what Health Net has covered or not covered. Our local Post Office has notified us that they are or will start returning the claim notices because of the wrong address.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

This is the worst Tricare provider yet. Just last month, they informed me that my insurance was canceled retroactive to Jan 1, despite me paying all the premiums. Health Net is insane! Terrible customer service, terrible billing department. They are incapable of solving the smallest issue, except taking your money. Good luck getting them to cover anything. Wife's pregnancy related bills have been resubmitted multiple times, Health Net refuses to pay. Getting ready to go to collections, this is the worst insurance in the world. Prepping a lawsuit, the only way to fix this.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

5 days and several hours on hold. Supervisors saying they will call back "within 24 hours" because the hold times are so long and then they never do! ESCALATE: Call corporate: 818.676.6000. They will send you to the executive response team. Good luck. HealthNET is pathetic.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

When Anthem/Blue Cross left the California Covered plans this year (2018) I was forced to choose another plan. Health Net was recommended to me and I was told that the EPO, a newer kind of insurance, would be good to have. Worst insurance mistake I have ever made. Doctors were running from them when I tried to make appointments! They would not ever cover a flu shot. I called in advance for doctor's visits to get approved and told what my co-pay would be. They repeatedly told me that doctor was contracted with them, and the doctor told me they were contracted with them, but the billing kept being returned to the doctor's office as unpayable.

Each time I called they admitted this was a mistake, but they never corrected it and I had to pay out of pocket the entire amount for my visits!!! I paid for 4 doctor visits this year out of pocket because they couldn't get their stuff together. They also wouldn't cover any portion of tests I needed. They paid out less than $300 this year when I paid them more than that each month!!! Horrible insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I am SHOCKED at the poor service and even worse customer service!! I was being referred after having chest pains to see a specialist. After two weeks of NOT hearing something to set up an appointment I checked online to see if anything was approved. It had been, so I called the Dr. they set the referral up for and was told I was not in the system as nothing had been received. In other words, no follow up with the provider!

I called TRICARE HNFS and was told they fax to the number the provider gives and that's it. NOTHING more. No follow up, no contacting the customer (me) to let me know it was approved and to expect a call (email would be fine!), nothing. I stated that since this is for a cardiac issue it is important I am seen or you know, I could have a heart attack and die. The response was "Yeap." So I asked to speak with a supervisor who told me very clear and I repeated it back a FEW times to make sure I got it right that they send the fax and then they are done.

I stated that they are concerned about approving and the paperwork NOT the patient and the reply was, "is there anything else I can help you with!!" I asked if this is how they want to support those who served their nation and I got the same reply. In the end I had to print out the approval form, find a fax machine and make contact with the provider to get information on fax number THEN wait to make the appointment once they get the fax. Looking for places to spread the word that they are terrible!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Have had Health Net Ruby for Four years. A good experience until this year. It started when we started receiving EOB’s that were not coded right. First, I tried their website without success. So I had to call them to get them to revise the claims. The customer reps that I spoke to were inexperienced and didn’t seem to be able to help me. Finally I called the local agent and after many conversations was able to get these claims revised. Since June we have not received one EOB but, apparently, our provider has because we getting statements that say we owe them money. We have paid all of our copays. Now, the local agent has not been able to resolve this problem. I would not recommend Health Net.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I signed up my family for the Health Net IFP Enhanced Care PPO plan in San Diego, California because our insurance broker advised us that Health Net had started this new PPO for Scripps Health, where all of our physicians are. We received our cards with our treating primary care doctors names and addresses on the cards (all Scripps doctors). We used these doctors for annual check ups, visits, labs. Then we started receiving EOB's for the provided services. Health Net is claiming all of our doctors are not in network and will not cover any of the charges. We appealed.

Health Net denied the appeal and stated that our doctors are not in network and never have been. Question as to why they sold us a policy claiming the Scripps network was in network and sending us cards confirming the same if in fact they never intended to cover our health care through Scripps? These insurance companies will take your money but when it comes to paying out...forget it. This is fraudulent and I fully intend to file a lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Policy cancelled on 8/23. Marketplace informed me that Ambetter has 30 days from that date to send letter. The letter is required to get new coverage. Have spoken to several employees. Was even told issue was escalated. As of 9/26 still no letter. My 5 year old and I are without coverage due to Ambetter's negligence. Rep from 9/25 stated the letter was sent on 9/11 and she would try to email a copy. Never heard back from Donna the rep. I will continue to press this issue and escalate until this is resolved and if something happens to my child due to this matter not being handled properly pursue legal action.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Ambetter from Health Net - The doctor I wanted to use didn't show up as in being in their network according to the search. So I went to cancel and see another doctor. While all along the doctor WAS in the network, but not listed. Then I went to make an appointment with a specialist who was on the list and when I called to make the appointment, the doctor's office said, "NO", we are not in their network. THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS: FIND ANOTHER INSURANCE COMPANY AND SAVE YOUR SANITY.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a bill of $1,287 that was Health Net's fault and they even admitted it. They said they would pay all of it but didn't. It's been 7 months now. I called 4 times before seeing my doctor and going to a lab to make sure everything was in-network and that I would not receive a bill. They confirmed that it would be fully covered. Surprise surprise, a month later I received a bill from Labcorp for $1,287. I called Healthnet and they said it was their mistake and that they made a mistake on their billing end. They said they would reprocess the claim and that it would be done in a month or so. It has been 7 months now. All they do is tell you lies so you would stop calling them. You can do everything right and still receive a bill that was not your fault.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I'm POA for my elderly father who has dementia. Coverage was canceled after they arbitrarily canceled his bank draft. Didn't find out about it until his MD sends a bill for $9000. Petitioned to have it reinstated and paid all back premiums. Finally get autodraft reinstated and they withdraw over $5700 from his bank account with no explanation. Can't get statements from them because they can't find the POA I faxed to them 3 times over the last 4 months. And they are happy to keep the $5700 if I want to pay upfront premiums for... the NEXT 2 YEARS!!!

No thanks, I would like the money back. "OK, we will send a check to the address on file (my dementia ridden father's address) in the next 30 days." How about you just send the money back the same way you took it? Through an autodraft that takes only seconds to post?? This company is horrible. And there's no out because my dad is almost 83 years old and would never get Medicare supplemental coverage from another company. My advice is to avoid them entirely.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Oh my what a racket! Enrolled in a plan for 1 particular Dr. His name was on this plan. Health Net changed our plan after we enrolled and told us to read disclosure. It states they CAN change your plan at any time! Paying 100.00 a week and still paying every time full price of Dr. THEY SUCK! Will be cancelling!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Ambetter commits fraud regularly. First, they decided that $8,900 is less money than our $3,000 deductible so we owe everything. They don't comply with federal regulations to provide breast pumps to mothers. They then reprocess your claims to put some money toward co-insurance instead of the deductible so you owe more money and they owe nothing. This isn't how insurance works. They work the Better Business Bureau automated system, saying they're looking into it and then because you don't respond BBB closes the complain. They claimed because my deductible changed after my son was born that his deductible wasn't met. This doesn't even make sense. Ambetter scams health care providers, too, so it's difficult to find one that even accepts Ambetter.

Original review: June 4, 2018

This company keeps calling multiple times a day even after we have told them to stop and block every number they call from. I have even called corporate to complain and got the whole I'll send a notice. Next step is a lawyer for harassment.

Original review: May 3, 2018

DO NOT use HEALTH NET. I enrolled in Health Net for the first of April and sent in the binder payment. On the first of May I read a letter from them saying they didn't get the binder payment and I was going to be cancelled. I paid a second time online, on the first, and called explaining the situation and asked to be reinstated. I called the person who signed me up. I got a 3 way.

I spent hours talking with them and they would not reinstate me. They did not refund my money and they did not offer solutions. I told them how my condo had been flooded and I've been overwhelmed for 2 weeks, I relayed how there was no way to pay when I signed up because they had to take a while to set someone up. Trying to get health insurance is now into its second month of agony because after I asked for an online quote I got 100s (no exaggeration) - almost literally - of calls non-stop from different brokers trying to sign people up.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I did not answer the dozens of Healthnet (caller ID) calls that I was receiving towards the end of 2017 because Healthnet had developed a nasty habit of having nonmedical employees calling to discuss personal and private medical issues. I got tired of telling them that my medical needs are between me and my doctor. I now realize that these were probably sales calls pitching some new "Allwell from Healthnet" $26 a month scam to 'provide transportation to and from the doctor, should I need it'. IOW, I never received any notification of ANY KIND, that, beginning Jan 2018, I would have to pay an extra $26 monthly premium to Allwell from Healthnet or face cancellation of my health insurance. After spending HOURS on the phone thru DOZENS of calls, I was told that my Healthnet coverage (of over 10 yrs) had been "migrated" to a new policy that has the stupid, unwanted and unnecessary "transportation to the Dr." service!!

This came from the top office of Healthnet, and they could not answer how I got signed up for such a plan, either. Whoever did this probably got a commission, and they made sure they signed me up for the largest annual deductible of $6700, too. It's all illegal, completely unauthorized, and I have no idea how to end it without losing needed medical coverage for 2018. They are also breaking AZ law by using an unregistered 'dropbox' (PO BOX 748654, LA, CA 90074-8654) to collect those monthly health insurance premiums, and they are incompetent beyond description: They keep sending Coverage Cancellation Threats when I have hard copies of every payment received and deposited by them.

My hope is that this will all come to light. Remember when Wells Fargo employees signed up millions for c cards and accts they did not authorize? Well, Allwell did that, too, and I am paying $26.00 every month because of it. I hope they are fined for this scam, and ordered to refund those premium payments. I do not recommend Allwell from Healthnet, run, do not walk, away.

Original review: April 22, 2018

As many other people on this Consumers Affairs site have expressed the various Health Net health care plans that specific doctors are supposed to accept are NOT and to make matters worse they are either knowingly being sold by Health Net via their website and their salespeople or just false information. After jumping through many hoops to change my plan via a "Special Enrollment Period" (SEP) from a Health Net "Enhanced Care" plan (should more honestly read as "Restricted Health care plan" not "Enhanced") that I enrolled in Starting Jan. 1st, 2018 I spent several weeks (taking time off my job) working with a Health Net sales specialist to make sure I found a health care plan that my doctor and Health Net accepted. Not too much to ask, right?

Well finally after spending over $3,500 on a fairly basic PPO insurance plan since January 2018 I went to my doctor for a check-up thinking for sure this time everything was in order, but boy was I mistaken. A few days after I had my annual checkup I received a call back from my doctor's office saying that they do not accept this NEW Health Net plan either (which at that point I nearly had a heart attack). Really, especially after spending weeks with the Health Net Sales representative to make sure this time my doctor would take my insurance plan, they were wrong again. To make matters worse this new plan I bought (being told for SURE that my doctor accepted it by a Health Net sales rep.) jumped from $883 to $1,050.

Now to make matters worse (yes now it's getting absurd) Health Net sent me double charge for the same month premium of over $1,100, in addition to being billed directly by my doctor for the one basic checkup I recently had (after spending over $3,500 just so I could see my only doctor of 25 years because I am comfortable with him). When I discussed this matter with both the Health Net Customer and Sales reps this week I felt like I was in the middle of a catfight with them telling each other that right now on the Health Net website it DOES state that my doctor DOES accepts my new PPO plan (but my doctor office emphatically states that they do NOT accept this plan) and that this mess was not really their problem and somehow either they or I needed to get it straightened out with my doctor.

They also said that this exact problem happens all the time with many of their customers (seems like the basis of a good class action lawsuit). So people I am back where I started almost 5 months later, after paying $3,500 without a standard PPO health plan that my doctor accepts (and more bills now coming to me personally for a basic check-up I recently had - thinking I was covered) in the middle of a fundamentally totally inept business operating as an major insurance provider.

Bottom line someone at the top is not doing their job! Whether they are in charge of customer service, sales, and/or billing at Health Net, at least in my case EVERYONE has dropped the ball consistently. Someone needs to be brought in to the company to ensure the health plans that they are selling ARE what they state - and not put its paying customers in such a tortuous and fundamentally irresponsible position. Health Net really needs to get its house in order or get out of the insurance business.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I was a member of Health Net insurance for 4 years. When I signed up, Health Net assigned me to a Dr. Carmel **, DBA Sierra Medical Group, Lancaster, CA. In the 4 years I've been a member, I went to this doctor's office 4 different times AND never saw a doctor!! Instead, I saw 4 different people and their identity is still a mystery since none of them identified themselves or their title! What they were is RUDE!!

I have been trying to change doctors since July 2017. I have called Health Net repeatedly to be told that I do not need a book, "it's all online, just register!!" Yeah right!! I have tried to register on Health Net's webpage. REPEATEDLY!! Each time I get an error message telling me I am not eligible to register at this time, contact Health Net. So I call Heath Net AGAIN!! To be told AGAIN, just register. Then I get this apology letter from Health Net saying that they have corrected the error and I can now register. Again, YEAH RIGHT!! Same error message. AGAIN, I call the Health Net, again to be told the same crap. This time Debbie, a Health Net Customer Service Rep., keeps asking if I was on Medicaid. I keep telling her NO, but like everyone else I've dealt with at Health Net, she keeps asking like if she asked enough times, my answer will change. I AM NOT ON MEDICAID!!

All I want is a list of doctors in my area!! AH!! Miss Debbie comes up with, I can help you pick a doctor. NO! Your company gave me Dr. **! I want to be able to see the names, read their reviews. Check them out myself before picking a new Dr. LOL. After being on the phone with 'Miss Debbie' for almost 30 minutes, Miss Debbie finally asked me for my member number. Hey, Health Net cancelled my membership! My number is no longer valid!! In the months I've been calling, NO ONE bothered to tell me. No notice was mailed! I still get benefit notices! I get calls about yearly exams that are offered! Not my doctor, not my insurance company!

Thank you Health Net! I am sooo glad I picked you as my insurance coverage! Thank you for your Helpful Customer Service Reps, they have been sooo helpful! Thank you for sending me the Physician's Directory in such a timely manner, I first asked July 2017, here it is April 2018 and I'm still waiting! Thank you for all the notices you sent me while I, apparently, was not covered by your insurance company!! Again, YEAH RIGHT!!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have never been mailed a Health Net ID card despite filling out their online form, contacting them by telephone, being hung up on four times, and being put on hold for more than 30 minutes (literally, not an exaggeration). It seems there is nothing I can do to get my ID card in the mail. I am paying too much for my prescriptions because I have no ID card to show. I shudder to think what will happen if I need hospitalization.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am thoroughly dismayed at the incompetency of Member Services, and Health Net Sales agents.1) I enrolled in an "enhanced care" PPO plan with a hidden "secondary" network (separate from the main PPO network). My doctors ended up not being "in network" despite reassurances they would be; I was unable to disenroll & reenroll in another plan. 2) The premium situation never gets straightened out: was assigned 2 different start dates!! How is that possible?? I am constantly "owing" premiums to them, despite being caught up. 3) There is no form for reporting any secondary insurance to Health Net, whereas every other insurer has one; thus, "coordination of benefits" is a tricky issue with Health Net. Overall, D minus for totally "dumbfounded". A bad policy.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Healthnet California PPO - family plan - I've had private health insurance for 30+ years and without a doubt Health Net has been the worst insurer ever. The year started badly enough - website crashes, member ID that didn't work for most providers (I've been told the member ID was changing, but still can't get a member card with the "new" member-ID). However, the biggest issue by far is that several of my doctors are apparently not on the plan, despite the fact that Health Net's website says they are and the doctors say that my plan is included.

The service is just horrible, every phone call takes a good hour because you are on hold forever, often they have to transfer you to someone else and the go to response is, "Yeah, that seems like a problem," they then resubmit the claim and it's 45 days until you end up in the same spot, have to escalate to a supervisor and they insist the doctor is not on the plan and "our website has a bunch of issues on who is covered", you can file a grievance or appeal and that takes 30 days. Emails I sent in January have not yet been answered. I could go on and on, my advice is avoid Health Net, they are clearly the worst choice among many mediocre choices.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I started an online application and before I even finished my phone began ringing like crazy. I received about 7 calls in 5 minutes after attempting an online quote. Most of them hung up quickly when I told them I just wanted to sign up online. I finally agreed to talk with the 6th caller and verify my information. She transferred me to a "manager" who gave me some proposed plan prices. As soon as I voiced some dissatisfaction with her quotes she said, "this isn't the 50's anymore" and got very rude. That's hilarious to me because I wasn't born until the 70's. Then she said, "Ok, OK , OK." And hung up on me. All that just because I asked some questions about the price. I had no raised voice, no cursing, no rudeness, on my part. She was just a young obnoxious salesperson who couldn't handle a few questions. Stay away from this company!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I signed up and paid the first installment with HN during the 2017 Open Enrollment period (Nov) and decided to cancel it soon after. Called CS to cancel and was told that my refund would arrive in 20-25 days. A month later, nothing. Long story short, it was ridiculous what we had to go through. It took 3.5 months of endless phone calls, being on hold for hours, conversations lasting up to four hours, having to repeat myself and our circumstances with each person we talked to, empty promises, endless and insincere apologies, and being told lies.

It seemed like we would never come to a resolution. Coincidentally, after we submitted a complaint to the BBB, we received a phone call from the Executive Response Unit. After a month of back and forth, we finally received our refund. However, it does not absolve Health Net from the unmitigated lack of customer service and incompetence. It's unconscionable how a company can operate in this manner to treat individuals with the highest callous disregard. They should be ashamed.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Medi-Cal Health Net is not an equal rights insurance company. In the state of California they claim your family land as repayment for medical services. This includes all of your genealogy to be left homeless, starving, tormented tortured and under direct distress from past State Medi-Cal precipitant. My own grandmother work for United Domestic Workers they had Union Insurance being the state Medi-Cal. Her last 3 months of life she needed hospice so the State of California chicks for three properties.

Health Net expert review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information