1.04/5

283 Health Net Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Policy cancelled on 8/23. Marketplace informed me that Ambetter has 30 days from that date to send letter. The letter is required to get new coverage. Have spoken to several employees. Was even told issue was escalated. As of 9/26 still no letter. My 5 year old and I are without coverage due to Ambetter's negligence. Rep from 9/25 stated the letter was sent on 9/11 and she would try to email a copy. Never heard back from Donna the rep. I will continue to press this issue and escalate until this is resolved and if something happens to my child due to this matter not being handled properly pursue legal action.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Ambetter from Health Net - The doctor I wanted to use didn't show up as in being in their network according to the search. So I went to cancel and see another doctor. While all along the doctor WAS in the network, but not listed. Then I went to make an appointment with a specialist who was on the list and when I called to make the appointment, the doctor's office said, "NO", we are not in their network. THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS: FIND ANOTHER INSURANCE COMPANY AND SAVE YOUR SANITY.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a bill of $1,287 that was Health Net's fault and they even admitted it. They said they would pay all of it but didn't. It's been 7 months now. I called 4 times before seeing my doctor and going to a lab to make sure everything was in-network and that I would not receive a bill. They confirmed that it would be fully covered. Surprise surprise, a month later I received a bill from Labcorp for $1,287. I called Healthnet and they said it was their mistake and that they made a mistake on their billing end. They said they would reprocess the claim and that it would be done in a month or so. It has been 7 months now. All they do is tell you lies so you would stop calling them. You can do everything right and still receive a bill that was not your fault.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I'm POA for my elderly father who has dementia. Coverage was canceled after they arbitrarily canceled his bank draft. Didn't find out about it until his MD sends a bill for $9000. Petitioned to have it reinstated and paid all back premiums. Finally get autodraft reinstated and they withdraw over $5700 from his bank account with no explanation. Can't get statements from them because they can't find the POA I faxed to them 3 times over the last 4 months. And they are happy to keep the $5700 if I want to pay upfront premiums for... the NEXT 2 YEARS!!!

No thanks, I would like the money back. "OK, we will send a check to the address on file (my dementia ridden father's address) in the next 30 days." How about you just send the money back the same way you took it? Through an autodraft that takes only seconds to post?? This company is horrible. And there's no out because my dad is almost 83 years old and would never get Medicare supplemental coverage from another company. My advice is to avoid them entirely.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Oh my what a racket! Enrolled in a plan for 1 particular Dr. His name was on this plan. Health Net changed our plan after we enrolled and told us to read disclosure. It states they CAN change your plan at any time! Paying 100.00 a week and still paying every time full price of Dr. THEY SUCK! Will be cancelling!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: June 6, 2018

Ambetter commits fraud regularly. First, they decided that $8,900 is less money than our $3,000 deductible so we owe everything. They don't comply with federal regulations to provide breast pumps to mothers. They then reprocess your claims to put some money toward co-insurance instead of the deductible so you owe more money and they owe nothing. This isn't how insurance works. They work the Better Business Bureau automated system, saying they're looking into it and then because you don't respond BBB closes the complain. They claimed because my deductible changed after my son was born that his deductible wasn't met. This doesn't even make sense. Ambetter scams health care providers, too, so it's difficult to find one that even accepts Ambetter.

Original review: June 4, 2018

This company keeps calling multiple times a day even after we have told them to stop and block every number they call from. I have even called corporate to complain and got the whole I'll send a notice. Next step is a lawyer for harassment.

Original review: May 3, 2018

DO NOT use HEALTH NET. I enrolled in Health Net for the first of April and sent in the binder payment. On the first of May I read a letter from them saying they didn't get the binder payment and I was going to be cancelled. I paid a second time online, on the first, and called explaining the situation and asked to be reinstated. I called the person who signed me up. I got a 3 way.

I spent hours talking with them and they would not reinstate me. They did not refund my money and they did not offer solutions. I told them how my condo had been flooded and I've been overwhelmed for 2 weeks, I relayed how there was no way to pay when I signed up because they had to take a while to set someone up. Trying to get health insurance is now into its second month of agony because after I asked for an online quote I got 100s (no exaggeration) - almost literally - of calls non-stop from different brokers trying to sign people up.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I did not answer the dozens of Healthnet (caller ID) calls that I was receiving towards the end of 2017 because Healthnet had developed a nasty habit of having nonmedical employees calling to discuss personal and private medical issues. I got tired of telling them that my medical needs are between me and my doctor. I now realize that these were probably sales calls pitching some new "Allwell from Healthnet" $26 a month scam to 'provide transportation to and from the doctor, should I need it'. IOW, I never received any notification of ANY KIND, that, beginning Jan 2018, I would have to pay an extra $26 monthly premium to Allwell from Healthnet or face cancellation of my health insurance. After spending HOURS on the phone thru DOZENS of calls, I was told that my Healthnet coverage (of over 10 yrs) had been "migrated" to a new policy that has the stupid, unwanted and unnecessary "transportation to the Dr." service!!

This came from the top office of Healthnet, and they could not answer how I got signed up for such a plan, either. Whoever did this probably got a commission, and they made sure they signed me up for the largest annual deductible of $6700, too. It's all illegal, completely unauthorized, and I have no idea how to end it without losing needed medical coverage for 2018. They are also breaking AZ law by using an unregistered 'dropbox' (PO BOX 748654, LA, CA 90074-8654) to collect those monthly health insurance premiums, and they are incompetent beyond description: They keep sending Coverage Cancellation Threats when I have hard copies of every payment received and deposited by them.

My hope is that this will all come to light. Remember when Wells Fargo employees signed up millions for c cards and accts they did not authorize? Well, Allwell did that, too, and I am paying $26.00 every month because of it. I hope they are fined for this scam, and ordered to refund those premium payments. I do not recommend Allwell from Healthnet, run, do not walk, away.

Original review: April 22, 2018

As many other people on this Consumers Affairs site have expressed the various Health Net health care plans that specific doctors are supposed to accept are NOT and to make matters worse they are either knowingly being sold by Health Net via their website and their salespeople or just false information. After jumping through many hoops to change my plan via a "Special Enrollment Period" (SEP) from a Health Net "Enhanced Care" plan (should more honestly read as "Restricted Health care plan" not "Enhanced") that I enrolled in Starting Jan. 1st, 2018 I spent several weeks (taking time off my job) working with a Health Net sales specialist to make sure I found a health care plan that my doctor and Health Net accepted. Not too much to ask, right?

Well finally after spending over $3,500 on a fairly basic PPO insurance plan since January 2018 I went to my doctor for a check-up thinking for sure this time everything was in order, but boy was I mistaken. A few days after I had my annual checkup I received a call back from my doctor's office saying that they do not accept this NEW Health Net plan either (which at that point I nearly had a heart attack). Really, especially after spending weeks with the Health Net Sales representative to make sure this time my doctor would take my insurance plan, they were wrong again. To make matters worse this new plan I bought (being told for SURE that my doctor accepted it by a Health Net sales rep.) jumped from $883 to $1,050.

Now to make matters worse (yes now it's getting absurd) Health Net sent me double charge for the same month premium of over $1,100, in addition to being billed directly by my doctor for the one basic checkup I recently had (after spending over $3,500 just so I could see my only doctor of 25 years because I am comfortable with him). When I discussed this matter with both the Health Net Customer and Sales reps this week I felt like I was in the middle of a catfight with them telling each other that right now on the Health Net website it DOES state that my doctor DOES accepts my new PPO plan (but my doctor office emphatically states that they do NOT accept this plan) and that this mess was not really their problem and somehow either they or I needed to get it straightened out with my doctor.

They also said that this exact problem happens all the time with many of their customers (seems like the basis of a good class action lawsuit). So people I am back where I started almost 5 months later, after paying $3,500 without a standard PPO health plan that my doctor accepts (and more bills now coming to me personally for a basic check-up I recently had - thinking I was covered) in the middle of a fundamentally totally inept business operating as an major insurance provider.

Bottom line someone at the top is not doing their job! Whether they are in charge of customer service, sales, and/or billing at Health Net, at least in my case EVERYONE has dropped the ball consistently. Someone needs to be brought in to the company to ensure the health plans that they are selling ARE what they state - and not put its paying customers in such a tortuous and fundamentally irresponsible position. Health Net really needs to get its house in order or get out of the insurance business.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I was a member of Health Net insurance for 4 years. When I signed up, Health Net assigned me to a Dr. Carmel **, DBA Sierra Medical Group, Lancaster, CA. In the 4 years I've been a member, I went to this doctor's office 4 different times AND never saw a doctor!! Instead, I saw 4 different people and their identity is still a mystery since none of them identified themselves or their title! What they were is RUDE!!

I have been trying to change doctors since July 2017. I have called Health Net repeatedly to be told that I do not need a book, "it's all online, just register!!" Yeah right!! I have tried to register on Health Net's webpage. REPEATEDLY!! Each time I get an error message telling me I am not eligible to register at this time, contact Health Net. So I call Heath Net AGAIN!! To be told AGAIN, just register. Then I get this apology letter from Health Net saying that they have corrected the error and I can now register. Again, YEAH RIGHT!! Same error message. AGAIN, I call the Health Net, again to be told the same crap. This time Debbie, a Health Net Customer Service Rep., keeps asking if I was on Medicaid. I keep telling her NO, but like everyone else I've dealt with at Health Net, she keeps asking like if she asked enough times, my answer will change. I AM NOT ON MEDICAID!!

All I want is a list of doctors in my area!! AH!! Miss Debbie comes up with, I can help you pick a doctor. NO! Your company gave me Dr. **! I want to be able to see the names, read their reviews. Check them out myself before picking a new Dr. LOL. After being on the phone with 'Miss Debbie' for almost 30 minutes, Miss Debbie finally asked me for my member number. Hey, Health Net cancelled my membership! My number is no longer valid!! In the months I've been calling, NO ONE bothered to tell me. No notice was mailed! I still get benefit notices! I get calls about yearly exams that are offered! Not my doctor, not my insurance company!

Thank you Health Net! I am sooo glad I picked you as my insurance coverage! Thank you for your Helpful Customer Service Reps, they have been sooo helpful! Thank you for sending me the Physician's Directory in such a timely manner, I first asked July 2017, here it is April 2018 and I'm still waiting! Thank you for all the notices you sent me while I, apparently, was not covered by your insurance company!! Again, YEAH RIGHT!!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have never been mailed a Health Net ID card despite filling out their online form, contacting them by telephone, being hung up on four times, and being put on hold for more than 30 minutes (literally, not an exaggeration). It seems there is nothing I can do to get my ID card in the mail. I am paying too much for my prescriptions because I have no ID card to show. I shudder to think what will happen if I need hospitalization.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am thoroughly dismayed at the incompetency of Member Services, and Health Net Sales agents.1) I enrolled in an "enhanced care" PPO plan with a hidden "secondary" network (separate from the main PPO network). My doctors ended up not being "in network" despite reassurances they would be; I was unable to disenroll & reenroll in another plan. 2) The premium situation never gets straightened out: was assigned 2 different start dates!! How is that possible?? I am constantly "owing" premiums to them, despite being caught up. 3) There is no form for reporting any secondary insurance to Health Net, whereas every other insurer has one; thus, "coordination of benefits" is a tricky issue with Health Net. Overall, D minus for totally "dumbfounded". A bad policy.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Healthnet California PPO - family plan - I've had private health insurance for 30+ years and without a doubt Health Net has been the worst insurer ever. The year started badly enough - website crashes, member ID that didn't work for most providers (I've been told the member ID was changing, but still can't get a member card with the "new" member-ID). However, the biggest issue by far is that several of my doctors are apparently not on the plan, despite the fact that Health Net's website says they are and the doctors say that my plan is included.

The service is just horrible, every phone call takes a good hour because you are on hold forever, often they have to transfer you to someone else and the go to response is, "Yeah, that seems like a problem," they then resubmit the claim and it's 45 days until you end up in the same spot, have to escalate to a supervisor and they insist the doctor is not on the plan and "our website has a bunch of issues on who is covered", you can file a grievance or appeal and that takes 30 days. Emails I sent in January have not yet been answered. I could go on and on, my advice is avoid Health Net, they are clearly the worst choice among many mediocre choices.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I started an online application and before I even finished my phone began ringing like crazy. I received about 7 calls in 5 minutes after attempting an online quote. Most of them hung up quickly when I told them I just wanted to sign up online. I finally agreed to talk with the 6th caller and verify my information. She transferred me to a "manager" who gave me some proposed plan prices. As soon as I voiced some dissatisfaction with her quotes she said, "this isn't the 50's anymore" and got very rude. That's hilarious to me because I wasn't born until the 70's. Then she said, "Ok, OK , OK." And hung up on me. All that just because I asked some questions about the price. I had no raised voice, no cursing, no rudeness, on my part. She was just a young obnoxious salesperson who couldn't handle a few questions. Stay away from this company!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I signed up and paid the first installment with HN during the 2017 Open Enrollment period (Nov) and decided to cancel it soon after. Called CS to cancel and was told that my refund would arrive in 20-25 days. A month later, nothing. Long story short, it was ridiculous what we had to go through. It took 3.5 months of endless phone calls, being on hold for hours, conversations lasting up to four hours, having to repeat myself and our circumstances with each person we talked to, empty promises, endless and insincere apologies, and being told lies.

It seemed like we would never come to a resolution. Coincidentally, after we submitted a complaint to the BBB, we received a phone call from the Executive Response Unit. After a month of back and forth, we finally received our refund. However, it does not absolve Health Net from the unmitigated lack of customer service and incompetence. It's unconscionable how a company can operate in this manner to treat individuals with the highest callous disregard. They should be ashamed.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Medi-Cal Health Net is not an equal rights insurance company. In the state of California they claim your family land as repayment for medical services. This includes all of your genealogy to be left homeless, starving, tormented tortured and under direct distress from past State Medi-Cal precipitant. My own grandmother work for United Domestic Workers they had Union Insurance being the state Medi-Cal. Her last 3 months of life she needed hospice so the State of California chicks for three properties.

Original review: March 14, 2018

With Tricare (military), and Health Net is the new contract (prior to '18; United Health). Prescription costs have risen; in one instance from $3 to $50. Co-pays have doubled at the hospital (learned this for an upcoming routine procedure). Dr visit co-pays have almost doubled. Since Jan; I've spent over 2 hours on hold for 3 different calls (before speaking to a live person). Still waiting for them (and United Health; who was the previous contractor) to "decide" who has a record of paid premiums for '17... United says all databases were sent to HN, HN says United has it.

In the meantime; I need something more than a credit card statement as proof of payment for my last employer (who I also retired from), to reimburse my 2017 premium payments. Deadline is another 10 days; and no waivers of extensions; either I get the necessary documentation (like United provided for '16) or, I'm out 4,200 in premium costs (mine, and my daughter under Tricare for Young Adults). A lot of finger pointing going on as to who has the information; and a lot of lies from HN when they have said on 3 occasions in the past week and a half, that they'd have it resolved in 24 hours. Each time it took me calling them back.

Earlier today, back to square one as HN basically has not been keeping records of the calls and is once again saying they have no information. Reading other complaints from those that have been with HN for a time now; I'm very concerned that the military has royally screwed up by not continuing the contract with United Health. A call back from HN (even if they were still committed to an answer of "We can't help", would have got them out of the 1 star "hole". The value and the coverage; well, costs have doubled and prescriptions have risen dramatically.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Health Net will do everything possible to avoid authorizing service and payment of claims. I have recurrent stage 4 ovarian cancer. I receive care at Stanford Women’s Cancer Center. In April 2017, I was prescribed **, a newly FDA approved drug. It took two months and threats of lawsuits before Health Net was forced to approve this medication. Stanford said that Health Net was the only company that engaged in such delaying tactics. This is an expensive drug. It seems to me that Health Net likes to play a waiting game, hoping that the consumer dies before they have to pay for the medication. In addition, they again engaged in delaying tactics in 2018 to pay for mental health/substance abuse care for my son. Thankfully, we now have a new insurance company and have not experienced these delaying tactics.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Worst administrative staff I have ever seen. Now the end of February 2018 and the website has still not been updated for 2018. The website still has the information for 2017, including my ID #, Doctor, and Coverage. Every time I have to see the Doctor it is a hassle. Every time I call Health Net I get the runaround and empty promises.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

RACISM TOWARDS ** MALES IS EVIDENT AND OBVIOUS AT HEALTH NET DENTAL GROUP AND ITS PROVIDERS and must be investigated by an impartial party who has power to prosecute this matter. This is an appeal of denial attached hereto. Appeal of denial for crown or any kind of restoration for tooth #31 after this same insurer approved a root canal for tooth #31 and that was performed a perilous 5 weeks ago! First, I have noticed many things about these places where my primary dental treatment is provided. There are no ** working there whatsoever. None at 1067 C street in Galt and none at 430 Pine street in Galt. The dentists and staff at 1067 were extremely rude and highly incompetent and have no compunction whatsoever about lying right to the patient’s face.

The X-ray tech took 10 to 15 pics of one tooth before she finally got it right. When I confronted them about their lack of skill and training they LIED RIGHT TO MY FACE, telling me they didn’t take that many x-rays. They said they could prove it by what they had archived. I guess they think I am an idiot. They deleted the ones that were worthless. So I moved on to Pine street dentist. He is no better. Again, no ** work in that office either, and his demeanor towards ** is surly. This dentist has no conversation with me about options and when I ask him to request something he says he will then he doesn’t or does it in a flawed manner.

To wit: The secretary who also handles requests for services from Health Net, CAROLINE, lectured me that it was taking so long to get approval because she needed to do several things and send x-rays. After weeks passed I once again knew something was up, and learned that she had given Health Net the wrong teeth to be worked on, and had failed to send Health Net the x-rays. THIS IS DOCUMENTED! I am appealing the denial of any kind of remedial work on tooth 31 based on the above racist attitudes and incompetence by all staff and both of these offices in Galt California.

My intelligence is high, far higher than average, therefore it is not me who is failing here, and there is a deliberate shutting down of lines of communication by all involved. I am not a dentist; I do not know the lexicon or what these codes actually mean therefore I have no way of knowing precisely what I should ask for. Moreover, had I known that the root canal would be done (I actually had 2 of them done and they both need attention of SOME KIND), but nothing further, I would NEVER have had this procedure done. The pain and suffering (the 430 Pine st doctor refused to write a second prescription for the pain post root canal NO.: 31 for example!) and time spent trying to communicate with people who have no passion whatsoever about what they do for a living, and obviously consider it a nuisance to communicate with ** males, and no compunction about lying to cover their ** is beyond frustrating.

These people come here from third world countries and turn it into a 3rd world country. They must learn that their low quality work habits are unacceptable in this country, or find a job where technical expertise is not necessary. This dentist at 430 Pine in Galt was also asked by me to put in a request to replace my Maryland Bridge which was drilled through where the other root canal was performed. He said he would, and just by his demeanor when he stated he would, I knew that he wouldn’t, and sure enough I was correct! So there is that too. I do not engage in appeals or grievances until the opponent has provided me sufficient ammunition to use against him. We are beyond that point.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Where can I begin? From day one, when after hours of trying to speak to a human, and being transferred and disconnected over and over, brothers and sisters I knew we were in trouble. I have been trying to figure out my co-pay costs and whatever else I owe since an epidural over a month ago. My doc said it may be months until Health Net figures it out. The Tricare contract with Health Net is a disgrace and betrayal for all of us who served.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Health Net is the most incompetent healthcare company I have ever dealt with. I have spent three hours during the past month trying to select my primary care provider. First they told me to set up an appointment with my doctor and that would automatically complete the process. My doctor is on vacation for a month, so that didn't work. Then they sent an email saying I need to select my PCP. So I got online to follow the instructions and the screens online don't match the directions.

I fuddled my way through, not knowing whether I actually selected my doctor. Then I called and the representative couldn't pull my file up by my account number. She found it using my name. But she couldn't tell whether I had selected a PCP, partly because the company hasn't yet allowed them the authority to see a customer's PCP. The worst part is that Health Net gets $13,000 a year from the government for my healthcare -- twice as much as it did two years ago. Taxpayers are getting ripped off. This country needs to go to a single-payer system. Vote Democrat in 2018 and 2020.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

If I could give no stars I would. I've spent 3 months trying to get this company to recognize their premium billing issue. I paid all of the monthly premium payments for 2017 (I have bank statements proving this). I then started to get bills in the mail for one of my 2017 premium amounts + the new premium amount for 2018. I called immediately to try and resolve their issue. I was told the issue was fixed and to pay my 2018 premium payment which I did. Fast forward to Feb 2018 and nothing is fixed. They pocketed one of last year's payments and applied the new higher premium amount for this year's premium to last December... I can't talk to anyone at this company who can do anything to fix the issue.

Everyone I speak to says they are "escalating this to their billing team" along with all of my account notes about the issue. Conveniently the billing escalation team doesn't have a number. I have evidence proving I paid and no one to look at it or hear me out. I am close to canceling service as currently I'm paying for healthcare that probably won't help me in an emergency because they say I'm behind on payments when I'm not!! I wish there was a local office where I could take my proof and get this fixed. Going to contact the Attorney General's office this week.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I don't know where to begin and I'm not going to spend more time here other than to list what I've learned from 3 years with this "health plan" and too many hours speaking with "customer support": (1) They are trying to rebuild their computer system and it's a mess. They have 3 different member IDs as they migrate to the new system yet the system does not always "know" about the legacy IDs -- worse yet, some cust support people are unaware. The result is you will often have no way to actually discuss your account with them. (2) Their online website is a total mess. Links are broken, data is incorrect, provider listings are out of date. They even changed their domain without telling members - or even providing a forwarding link. OMFG.

(3) The billing system is FUBAR. I received a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars (monthly premium!) and -- they will have difficulty just figuring your latest balance. They've actually sent me cancellation notices due to the fact that their system simply has no idea what your balance is -- or: has it mixed up with previous policies that you may have had with them. (4) The "provider directory" is insanely out of date. They claim it's updated but I've called so many of these doctors only to be told that they've left the plan months ago. When this is pointed out they will blame the doctors for not updating their own profiles in the system. It's a joke.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

This company is the worst!!! They keep sending me the wrong ID cards and every time I call they say the new card is "in the mail". Every card I've received in the mail has the old information from last year. In addition, the cards I've received only has my son listed and not me (I am the primary policy holder, he's only 4 years old). I have also had to call about questions I had regarding my schedule of benefits. Everyone I speak with gives a different answer. Some tell me I need a referral to see a Specialist, others say I don't need a referral as long as the doctor is in network. Which one is it??? I also find it incredibly irritating that there are only two Pediatricians on my plan and neither is close to where I live. WTF? I do not at all feel confident about this insurance plan and strongly dissuade others from signing up with this horrid company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Allwell was Health Net and we've been with them for years with no major issues on their end. That has changed with the switch to Allwell. Hours upon hours on hold, more hours trying to change PCPs and in the end, a PCP selected without our input. We've been told our new PCP was entered into the system - once we chose and cards would be arriving in a week to 10 days. That was three weeks ago. When the new PCP allowed us to come in without the cards, we were told by the office administrator the Allwell site has been down for the most part all year. Too late to change to a different Medicare plan now. Stay away from these bozos - they don't know which end is up or how to enroll new members and issue a ID card so you can visit your doctor.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

This company has one of the worst customer service in the country. I had to wait 45 minutes today before I could talk to a person today. My prescription did not go through at Walgreens and after talking to an agent I find out that they have issued us a new subscriber number beginning January 1 and it is almost the end of the month and we still have not received our new cards. She gave me the number over the phone. Another claim from October 2017 that is unresolved has disappeared from their system. In my line of work I have dealt with the IRS, FTB, Social Security Administration and other government agencies and even though they are underfunded and have lot more work I have received much, much better customer service from them. People blame government agencies for poor service and praise the private sector. Well this is exactly the opposite.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

2017 rates increased substantially for our family of 3 to $2250 for a mid-level PPO plan! Unfortunately, 2017 was also the year we needed to use our insurance. A family member's substance abuse disease required inpatient care and Health Net have rejected any and all claims for any reason they could. I have been working on these claims for over a year and now have the CA Dept of Insurance working on this as Health Nets tactics and negligence are in line with pending litigation brought on by many substance abuse providers (Google search this).

We have paid for all 2017 care "out of pocket" and are hoping to recoup some of the expense per our policy once we get resolution. It is unbelievable what Health Net has done to us and many others - it is CRIMINAL and am hopeful that the actions by victims will hold this company accountable. If you have someone being treated/needing treatment for substance abuse and Health Net is deploying tactics to avoid honoring the terms of its policy, I encourage you to reach out to your state agency and file a complaint!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have had my medical insurance with Health Net for several years, always paid on time, never missed a payment. In Dec. 2017 I did not receive a bill for Jan. 2018 coverage, so I called Health Net in early Jan. to find out why I did not receive a bill, and to pay. I was on hold for over an hour, after finally being connected to a representative I was able to pay over the phone using my credit card and was told as of Jan. 1 I had a new Health Net ID # and to go or pay online I now had to go to a new website. I never received any notice of this. But after paying over the phone I went online to print a temporary new Health Net ID card that would be needed to see my Dr. After entering all information, name, new ID#, SS#, etc. a message said I did not have coverage.

So I called Health Net again, this time waiting again over 1 hour to talk to a representative. They told me my payment that I had made only a week before had been refunded, but they could not tell me why. The Health Net rep said she would check into this and call me back at 9 am the following day. She never called. So I went online again and via Health Net's website emailed them explaining the situation. I received a confirmation email that I would receive a reply within 1 business day. It's been several days and never received anything from Health Net. I called again today and after waiting again a long time to talk to a representative, was told yes my payment had been refunded, but again they could not tell me why they did this. I was never informed by mail or email that my payment was refunded.

Bottom line is Health Net has terrible customer service, but unfortunately my insurance agent told me the other companies have even more restrictive Dr. networks, so if I switch I may not be able to continue with the Dr. I have had for years. I can't imagine any other type of business with such terrible customer service could keep their customers, except in the insurance industry where there aren't many choices. All this after Health Net raised my monthly premium about 20% for 2018, (now over $1500/month for only me, Silver plan, no dependents). Because I have a middle class income, I get no financial 'help' from Obamacare.

What I've seen since Obamacare was implemented is more than doubling of my monthly premium, with significantly higher deductibles, along with much poorer service. It's pretty bad when you have to wait up to 1.5 hours on the phone w/ Health Net to get information, and to pay your bill, and days later find out (only by calling again and waiting on hold another hour), that they refunded your payment and they can't begin to explain why.

Health Net expert review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information