Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: April 1, 2021

Health Net sent a letter to its customers explaining that a Health Net vendor had been hacked and that hackers got customers' personal information. They are careless with customer's data and need to take more IT precautions. I cannot recommend Health Net.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 29, 2021

Having dealt with the healthcare system since I was 14, I am not stranger to how awful of an experience it can be. However, Health net's lack of compassion, and constant arguing with my doctors is unique. They are limiting my use of a medication is previously used 3 times a day down to 1 AGAINST THE MEDICAL ADVICE OF MY PRIMARY DOC AND SPECIALIST. These people do not know kindness or reason for that matter, I encourage anyone/any family with consistent medical problems to steer far clear of them.

Health Net response

We want to help, Eli. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

The worker said I wasn't found in the system. All rude and argued with me instead of listening to me before I could even get a word out. I was trying to ask a question about my membership. Because I saw I was ENROLLED on your website but instead she was rude and hung up in my face. I will be calling corporate.

Health Net response

We want to help, Ajike. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Referrals are usually denied. What you have access to are terrible, unavailable doctors. Most care is denied, the clinics you can get referrals to go to are horrible walk-in style places that won’t make appointments and have limited availability. It’s virtually impossible to get an appointment anywhere even with your PCP. Had to pay out of pocket for emergency dental care I desperately needed because Health Net decided that it was unnecessary. This insurance is the absolute worst. I have a serious condition I haven’t been able to get help with for months even after finally qualifying for Medi-cal because it has been an absolute nightmare trying to get the care I need because this insurance puts up walls between me and providers that can help at every possible opportunity. I cannot state enough how awful this insurance is. It’s like having none at all but your life is twice as frustrating and difficult. Don’t choose this plan please.

Health Net response

We want to help, Marcella. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I was seen by my dentist who was not the network of Health Net. She wrote me a referral to see oral surgeon including TM joint problem. I called Healthnet member services which waited over half an hour and got answer of asking my PCP for referral for my TM joint. I called Healthnet dental member services and informed me there was orosurgeon network for healthnet. I booked appointment of the same orosurgeon who is both TM joint specialist and orosurgeon. But they said the referrals were not right and told me to call Healthnet again who told me to ask my doctor and dentist to call for pre authorized referrals. I called my PCP who said he was busy and couldn't have time for preauthorized referral...and didn't make sense to ask for authorization of referral..

I was stuck and couldn't ask both dentist and medical who had my referrals sent to the orosurgeon and my tooth was hurt with pain and luckily was seen by ENT doctor who said my tooth infection causing me sore throat, gum infection with forehead and earache too... I was on antibiotic for 2 weeks but my problem was stuck due to the insurance bad policy.. The problem was not resolved and if the infected tooth was not resolved, it might go to my brain and elsewhere... This insurance policy is making me death sooner or later.

Health Net response

We want to help, Vickie. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Do not use Health Net, pay more if you have to, read reviews. Call member services all you want, issues which you will surely have will not be resolved. This company is your typical "we are experiencing high call volumes" company. Service is non existent. A disaster in every sense of the word, from billing to pharmacy to getting medical cards to getting on member portal. A "customer is an inconvenience attitude" is the norm.

Health Net response

We want to help, Richard. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

As of beginning of this year I changed my plan from Blue Shield to Health Net. What a big mistake. Even the primary dr that they assigned me Doctor ** didn't accept my insurance. I called three times. Every time they give me new doctor something went wrong. Thank god I have still chance till March 15 to change them.

Health Net response

We want to help, Sam. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This company is extremely hard to get a hold of! My 18-year-old son who lives in California had a Foley catheter placed through his back and into his bladder because he has a very large kidney stone blocking his urinary tract. Then he was released and sent him because he went to a hospital that health net did not cover and they would not authorize and out of network surgery. They then sent him to his provider which he couldn't get an appointment into until 4 days later. Now it has been seven days since the appointment with his PCP. We have been calling all week to find out what is going on but could not get through to anybody at the PCP. Finally, yesterday, we did get through and they said the authorization had not been processed for the urologist. Today I decided to call HealthNet to find out what was taking so long and when I did call I only got sent to a real human being because it would not accept his identification information on the automated system. The lady who answered was very kind but let me know that their computers have been down since 8:00 that morning and that that happens quite often but they should have it back up and running in a couple of hours. My son called a couple of hours later (because he is 18 after all) and they told him that they would get back to him about the authorization and nine business days but maybe sooner. This is an 18 year old boy who has had a a hole cut into him and a bag hanging from his side for almost 2 weeks now and they are dragging their feet on the procedure that could help him. I don't understand how this is acceptable in any way shape or form in the health insurance industry.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I got a letter with a charge of over $500 saying "the services received were not authorized by your primary care physician". It was an appointment with my PCP!! Turns out Healthnet accidentally changed it on me last year. They will not admit this is an expensive clerical mistake on their part. My PCP is still in the network And of course they will not pay for the doctor's visit now.

Health Net response

We want to help, Robin. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Updated on 12/08/2020: It has been over three months now trying to get our refund. They responded to our review on this site saying they want to help, spoke with two supervisors and still nothing. Even left a voicemail for Lori ** and she never called back. We were emailing with Irene who told us we were denied the refund after three months of doing exactly what they told us to do, and they promised if we did what they asked which was basically doing their jobs for them, we would have our refund. Now it’s denied. They say we are with covered California yet we are only with Health Net and called covered California four times and they told us we are not in their system. They are blaming them so they don’t have to send our refund. I am disgusted with this company and will continue posting reviews with their names and speaking with attorneys. So sad what this world has come to.

Original Review: I purchased medical insurance for my husband in August of 2020. At the time we knew we would eventually be moving to TN in the future and I was told we could use this insurance there as well. After I made our first payment on September 1st I asked once again if we could use in TN and was told no. I canceled our policy immediately and was told we would receive a refund in 3 to 5 business days. Never received anything.

I have called every other week for three months now and I am told every time we will receive our refund via our debit card in 7 to 10 business days. The worst part is every employee has a different story for what went wrong and why we have not received our refund and we were continuing to be billed even when it was supposed to be cancelled. When I call I always ask what has been done to complete the refund since our last call and the agent says nothing so basically as soon as we hang up the ball is dropped and my account is ignored.

The last call I made was a week and a half ago and I finally was able to speak to a manager. Most other agents told me it was impossible to do transfers because they work from home which was a lie. I spoke with London who said she was the billing manager, she apologized for the mess and headache we had been through and promised us an expedited refund. She said we would not have to call again and for sure the money would be in our account as soon as 3 business days. Still nothing!!

I can not believe how unprofessional this company is and now after reading all their reviews I see they do this often to customers. This makes me sick, times are hard and we need this money to get new insurance for my husband and they could care less. I have told several agents this and still nothing. I am ready to take legal action if I have to because I am so tired of having to call and beg for our money only to be lied to every time. Do not use this Insurance company!! They don’t care about their customers only money!!

Health Net response

Hi Jodie, we are sorry to hear that. Please contact us at the email provided. Once we have your information we will have our team reach out to you directly.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information