Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.7/5 (203 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Health Net

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Beware: I've experienced too many providers who have problems getting paid by Health Net. I have been told by my next provider, If we don't get paid for the first 2 hours of your treatment, your insurance has left us no choice but to discontinue servicing you. There is all I care to share.

Health Net response

We want to help, Cynthia. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website makes no sense and is poorly built and riddled with errors and sloppy coding. The service people can't seem to keep records straight. It was the cheapest plan my employer offered so I went with it, but do yourself a favor and stay away from these guys.

Health Net response

Hi Lukas, we want to help. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Health Net is a scam. Worst health insurance I ever had!! One star is too strong a rating. I have been waiting for authorization for a surgery I need, since February 2018. The doctor's office has been trying to get the precertification pushed through since then, as well as myself calling repeatedly to get information. I am never, ever able to speak to someone that seems to know anything about my case, even though they certainly must have the information on file and have been contacted by myself and the doctor's office dozens of times since then. I believe this type of service borders on criminal.

Health Net response

Hi Lorrie, we want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 25, 2021

This is hands down the great scam artist company I have ever encountered. My work switched me to this “health plan” and it is absolutely awful. I purchased their Platinum PPO plan and they have denied absolutely every single claim, doctors request and prescription I have attempted. $800 per month and they cover NOTHING! They should all be in prison! Here’s to praying the earth opens up and their headquarters are swallowed up whole! Every senior management member of this company should be indicted for fraud.

Health Net response

We want to help, Tyler. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Health Net sent a letter to its customers explaining that a Health Net vendor had been hacked and that hackers got customers' personal information. They are careless with customer's data and need to take more IT precautions. I cannot recommend Health Net.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Having dealt with the healthcare system since I was 14, I am not stranger to how awful of an experience it can be. However, Health net's lack of compassion, and constant arguing with my doctors is unique. They are limiting my use of a medication is previously used 3 times a day down to 1 AGAINST THE MEDICAL ADVICE OF MY PRIMARY DOC AND SPECIALIST. These people do not know kindness or reason for that matter, I encourage anyone/any family with consistent medical problems to steer far clear of them.

Health Net response

We want to help, Eli. Please check your private messages.

Original review: March 1, 2021

The worker said I wasn't found in the system. All rude and argued with me instead of listening to me before I could even get a word out. I was trying to ask a question about my membership. Because I saw I was ENROLLED on your website but instead she was rude and hung up in my face. I will be calling corporate.

Health Net response

We want to help, Ajike. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Referrals are usually denied. What you have access to are terrible, unavailable doctors. Most care is denied, the clinics you can get referrals to go to are horrible walk-in style places that won’t make appointments and have limited availability. It’s virtually impossible to get an appointment anywhere even with your PCP. Had to pay out of pocket for emergency dental care I desperately needed because Health Net decided that it was unnecessary. This insurance is the absolute worst. I have a serious condition I haven’t been able to get help with for months even after finally qualifying for Medi-cal because it has been an absolute nightmare trying to get the care I need because this insurance puts up walls between me and providers that can help at every possible opportunity. I cannot state enough how awful this insurance is. It’s like having none at all but your life is twice as frustrating and difficult. Don’t choose this plan please.

Health Net response

We want to help, Marcella. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I was seen by my dentist who was not the network of Health Net. She wrote me a referral to see oral surgeon including TM joint problem. I called Healthnet member services which waited over half an hour and got answer of asking my PCP for referral for my TM joint. I called Healthnet dental member services and informed me there was orosurgeon network for healthnet. I booked appointment of the same orosurgeon who is both TM joint specialist and orosurgeon. But they said the referrals were not right and told me to call Healthnet again who told me to ask my doctor and dentist to call for pre authorized referrals. I called my PCP who said he was busy and couldn't have time for preauthorized referral...and didn't make sense to ask for authorization of referral..

I was stuck and couldn't ask both dentist and medical who had my referrals sent to the orosurgeon and my tooth was hurt with pain and luckily was seen by ENT doctor who said my tooth infection causing me sore throat, gum infection with forehead and earache too... I was on antibiotic for 2 weeks but my problem was stuck due to the insurance bad policy.. The problem was not resolved and if the infected tooth was not resolved, it might go to my brain and elsewhere... This insurance policy is making me death sooner or later.

Health Net response

We want to help, Vickie. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Do not use Health Net, pay more if you have to, read reviews. Call member services all you want, issues which you will surely have will not be resolved. This company is your typical "we are experiencing high call volumes" company. Service is non existent. A disaster in every sense of the word, from billing to pharmacy to getting medical cards to getting on member portal. A "customer is an inconvenience attitude" is the norm.

Health Net response

We want to help, Richard. Please check your private messages.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information