Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 18, 2020

HealthNet gave me a random Primary Care physician for my daughter, even though I selected her regular Dr during enrollment who is listed as in Network. Fast forward and I realize the error when it’s time to get my Daughter seen for a knee injury and I can’t get into to her regular Dr. No problem, I change her Primary Care Dr online and then call the next day to follow up. The customer service rep tells me 10-14days, the following month before the change takes effect. After an hour over the phone, he then tells me they will backdate for the current month, but they need approval and they will call me back. I never get a call back.

In the meantime I try and make an appointment with the Dr. I did not select and no return calls after 3 attempts. I call HealthNet again to check on the status of the approval to correct the error on her Primary care physician and after 2 hours on the phone, I’m back to the same situation - they tell me the same thing, they are back dating the change and will call me when it’s approved. I’ve escalated the problem 2x to supervisors and still have no resolution, there is no change of Primary care Dr and my daughter can’t get seen and is in pain. The inadequacy is causing delays in accessing needed healthcare and subjecting customers to exceedingly long wait times, lasting several hours to address these problems.

Health Net response

We want to help, Corinne. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 27, 2020

1.5 years after a claim was processed and paid by Healthnet, Healthnet retroactively took back the money from the medical provider and the medical provider billed me in full in the amount of over $1,000. Healthnet claimed they were not the primary insurance provider, when in fact they were, which I've proven on multiple occasions and at least one rep has admitted to.

Healthnet did not notify me of that they were recouping claim money already paid, nor did they engage in a conversation with the provider. They simply made an incorrect assessment and now as a result I'm saddled with over $1,000 in charges that should not be my responsibility. I've spent over 15 hours on the phone with Healthnet alone trying to rectify this and have been told by the medical office I need to submit a payment or risk being sent to collections. Healthnet representatives have repeatedly put me on extended holds of over 20 minutes, have told me they will call me back to follow up and never have, and have told me they have sent the claims back to be reprocessed, which also never happened.

In short, there has been near total dysfunction at every level except the swift and unjust action of taking back payment for services rendered. All the while the medical provider has grown more agitated, and I'm forced to decide between paying a claim that was already paid then recouped, or continuing to spend hours on the phone with Healthnet, starting over each conversation with their representatives and receiving the same false promises of resolution.

Health Net response

We want to help, Justin. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2020

HealthNet changed out insurance and we were sent a new plan with a different primary physician. We were under the assumption we weren't able to have who we had chosen. I called them to confirm the details on my health insurance card. I went to the dr on my card to get a referral to a specialist. I received a bill from them with ridiculous charges, like a strep throat test which was NEVER administered etc. I called to advise that I have active insurance and they advised they had changed my primary card dr to whom we initially requested. I advised we were not notified nor sent a card with new insurance details, a letter, a notification and I had even been advised by a representative to go to who was on my card. It was in the same group (Canopy Health anyway) so was advised I should file a complaint to have this covered and it should be paid.

I was assigned someone to "Assist" who never responded to emails, wouldn't return my phone calls, didn't acknowledge that my card was received with those details and I could not get a hold of. Today I received a letter saying they wont pay for my dr/specialist visit. A bill which together is $500, and after paying insurance for 16 years and can count on one hand the time it has been used, the healthcare would not pay for the dr visit. We are taking to BBB and changing insurance companies now but BEWARE to anyone considering Healthnet. They will deny paying every way they can, their customer service is terrible and they are an awful company to deal with. The stress it will cause you will not worth looking elsewhere for insurance at all costs.

Health Net response

We want to help, Mareesa. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My dad passed away in June 2019 and Health Net was still debiting his account. In December 2019 I called to have the debit stopped and a refund of $2,332.40 sent to my Mom. I am still waiting for the check and have contacted Health Net each month since to be told the check was on the way, however, no one could ever give me a check number and the date of mailing. I was given Louis name and ** telephone number and assured I would receive the check in 7-10 business days. He no longer returns my calls and the check has not been received. This is April and I am still waiting for the check for my Mom who is 86 years old. This is elder abuse holding on to funds for this long.

Each phone call is a run around always with assurance that the check will be mailed. Not sure where I can turn to get this resolved. If it was only my Mom 86 years old and my not being her advocate (daughter) we would have never gotten the debit to stop and we still do not have the funds rightly due her. Please stop this ELDER ABUSE.

Irene **

Health Net response

We want to help, Irene. Please check your private messages.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have an underlying condition that requires surgical treatments. Despite knowing this, I've been denied these surgeries. On my hand which is virtually unusable I was told to go to 6 weeks if OT. I went once, and the OT provider said she could do nothing and surgery was required. It has still not been approved. For my full knee replacement, the first was denied and PT ordered despite bone on bone arthritis. I've not even tried for the second full knee replacements.

Health Net response

We want to help, Noelle. Please check your private messages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: March 23, 2020

Updated on 5/25/2020: Don't go with Health Net even if their prices much better, you will end up paying everything from your pocket!!! I wrote my previous review on 23rd March after loss of hope that I could get my situation resolved. Health Net contacted me urgently. However, it was the most useless month of conversations. They wanted me to persuade Covered California to Cancel my Health Insurance (which is not related to my concern at all) for the past 2 months and only after that I can get my payment refund. Just the money I have paid for services I was not able to receive.

I still don't understand how Health Net negligence, lack of information, and updates in their system and irresponsibleness related to CC. How their failure of providing services and providing wrong information can relate to another provider? Even the payments were going directly to Health Net. They should find the best way to solve the situation they created, not trying to put all on my shoulders and gave unreal solutions. Just take your responsibility!

Original review: I am absolutely frustrated with HealthNet CA service, it is the worst service I have ever experienced. I got my new insurance with HealthNet CA and happened to caught the influenza the following week. I was extremely sick with 5 days of temperature. I didn't want to go to the hospital because of the waiting time. Unfortunately, the doctor's address in my ID was different from my doctor's clinic and they refused to take me as I wasn't in their system.

I was in a call with HealthNet for many times and they promised to fix it, but it never been fixed and I had to go through the procedure of "calling HealthNet -> Checking with my doctor -> calling HealthNet" again and again. Nothing changed. They just kept promised or was sending me to a hospital or Urgent care. For weeks I was in contact with insurance and my doctor's office and it was a ridiculous circle with me in a very bad health condition in the middle.

Finally, by the end of month I called my insurance to cancel it and submit refund. However, I have been charged for another month and nothing have been cancelled. I had to call Covered CA directly to cancel it (the information I found by myself, HealthNet did not provide it) and also call HealthNet to take off my autopay. I am still sick because I was so delayed with treatment and It turned into a chronic condition and bothering me a lot. I still have no respond on my refund and it is already long time passed. This is the most unhelpful organization. (And now they will have an another excuse of not replying - COVID).

Health Net response

We want to help, Alesia. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I have never experienced such difficulties with a representative (and I am one myself). I have been trying to receive coverage on a daily basis I have been charged for twice, but the representative takes days to respond and says there is no proof that I have applied. Therefore, I have been charged by a company without receiving the service (getting robbed). I have sent her countless pieces of proof that I have applied correctly (excluding the payment, which in itself is a proof). If you want a headache, join Health Net. :)

Health Net response

We want to help, Yusuf. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

As a provider for over 2 decades, I have never had to deal with a more horrible manager. Besides significantly cutting provider payments to laughable rates, they actually billed us for "over-payments" along with interest we allegedly owed them for clients on our caseloads prior to the unannounced cuts. There's no speaking with them. They clearly couldn't care less if providers leave. Feel very sad for our vets, but apparently the Pentagon "awards" to the lowest bidder.

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Healthnet, I usually like your service. However, this is not the first time I had this experience with an insurance company, but I am calling you guys out on it. First this poses a threat of 2 laws is what I believe. The first is subscription to a service without my consent and the second is my HIPAA law. I had called in @ 12/18/2020 because I had a bill from you guys that had automatically signed me up for 2020 without my knowledge and charged for me. Called @ 12/18/2020 and cancelled with my credit arriving 5 business days back. I got a bill back on Jan 18. Charged again except for 2 months now. Called again, refer to interaction code of **, of your business. Employee indicated that it was not cancelled because I had not provided proof that I was insured for that time and that I am still subscribed to the service.

There is no law to my knowledge that indicates that I have to provide proof of anything to cancel but your company policy indicates that I do. I can only infer that this policy is to make additional money for your company from healthy individuals like me but it is a clear infringement of my HIPAA rights and possibly others. I have sent an email of my other policy information, but not because of my consent, rather because I would rather not have this inflicted upon my credit history. By the time you give me a callback, I hope you have changes your company policy.

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

My insurance was cancelled and Healthnet wants to charge me for months that my insurance was cancelled. The last bill I received said I owed nothing and now they want to charge me. I have called numerous times, each time helped by a different person who knows nothing about what is going on. Being placed on hold for hours and after being on hold for an hour and a half, they hung up on me. If I were in better condition financially I would look for a better provider,

Health Net response

We want to help Cary. Please check your private messages.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information