3.7/5 (139 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Health Net

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 6, 2022

I’ve already reported this to CID, which I recommend everybody else does right now because I’m going to tell you, no representative is any help, they will continue to offer you assistance rather than forwarding you to a supervisor/manager, but their way of helping is putting you on hold for 1-2 hours in order to delay the issue, it what this company is known for. I simply just wanted a cancellation and I was also informed by representative Diana and Shawna that I have 1200 in compensation.

To this day, I haven’t gotten my refund NOR have I gotten a simple cancellation, which is causing me to still automatically pay for their policy. This issue is so simple, yet it is taking them over a month to “resolve” it. I now wonder how they’re still in business, I will forever tell everyone that I know to stay away from this company as much as possible. The worst company I’ve ever cooperated with— not that they even ever cooperated with me.

Health Net response

We want to help, Alexandra. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 14, 2022

This insurance company is built to piss off the customers. I am confident that Health Net is the WORST insurance company in the world regarding customer services. Every time I call the customer service to make a payment, I realize what a worst phone response I have ever experienced. I don't know why the recipient is talking like a ** while she is receiving salary with the money I pay.

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2022

My domestic partner has been trying to cancel her policy since October 2021 and she is still getting charged. She has insurance through her employer and no longer needs this policy yet she is getting charged for a policy she does not need or want. Every time she calls the attendant can see all of her attempts since that time and they assure her that it will be corrected but it never gets corrected. She has asked to speak with a supervisor and they always say that their supervisor is in a meeting. How convenient. It is clear to me that Health Net is not a good company.

Health Net response

We want to help, Scott. Please check your private messages.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I purchased covid19 self-test kits, they are covered for reimbursement by Federal Law. I called Health Net to know the procedure to have the covid19 test kits reimbursed, the customer service representative on the line made me wait for over 2 hours on the line to tell me the correct form, he wasn't educated on the issue. I filled out the form and put the receipts, and mailed them out to the address on the form. The form was received within 2 days. I called Health Net to have a payment date, since it has been over 15 days that they received my claim form and I've been in the line with Supervisor Jed L. for over 2 hours, they are saying that they didn't receive the claim form. In 2 hours that I have been on the phone, the supervisor above is going in circle and is making me wait for over 30 minutes at a time for me to give up and hang up the phone. Very frustrating and stressful situation without a resolution.

Health Net response

We have forwarded your message to our team. A Health Net team member will be reaching out to provide assistance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I have 4 root canal needs, when the doctor sent request to Health Net to apply authorization, I was denied 3 of them, It took me a lot of time to appeal with healthnet, they finally Deny my APPEAL, eventually I have to change my medi-cal insurance to strict Medi-cal, and another dentist who applied to Medi-cal directly and got approved all the teeth root canal authorization immediately. I was so angry and confused about Health-net, I want to let everybody know that never choose health net dental, they are not really want to help people in need, never choose healthnet, terrible experience for me, my teeth have had pain for a few month only because of their irresponsible deny decision. It's really a nightmare for my dental experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Healthnet is by far the worst insurance I ever had. I experienced discrimination, billing, and neglect issues.

1. Discrimination issue: Healthnet does not cover screening benefits for women with dense breast. Women who are born with dense tissue are discriminated against by Healthnet. Unlike other women who pay $0, women with dense tissue are required to pay thousands of dollars for their routine breast imaging services. These surprise bills are not prevented by Healthnet as they refuse to communicate quotes. They do not warn their members about the discriminating policy. Healthnet is a discriminating insurance, they don't cover members equally. They should not be part of CoveredCA program.

2. Billing issue: Healthnet actively referred me to a provider who has a history of billing fraud practice. The billing fraud scheme benefits Healthnet because the provider bills preventive services as diagnostic to maximize profit. The provider collected nearly 200 complaints of billing fraud and Healthnet continues to refer their members to this provider.

3. Neglect issue: The grievance & appeal department is neglectful. The case coordinator made up her decision without investigating. She provided a phone number that was not in service, and she declined to call back. The 2nd case coordinator also declined to collect material evidences to support the investigation, and he closed the case without investigation. The 3rd case coordinator hung up on me after yelling in the phone that he had no intention of investigating my claim, because he can't override the conclusion from 1st case coordinator. This means that members of Healthnet are denied the right to file an appeal.

Health Net response

We want to help, Emma. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

By far the worst insurance experience I have ever had. I never write reviews but I hope this might help future prospective customers. The only claims were for Covid-19 tests, which were incorrectly processed. The customer service calls are wired to a remote call center and the service is abysmal. I was told claims would be resolved and they were not reprocessed on multiple occasions.

Health Net response

We want to help, Zack. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

RUN, dear God RUN, and do NOT think about using this ripoff "insurance" company. They stole $895.16 out of my autopay, with NO explanation at all. REPEATED calls to them got me hung up on 5 times, disconnected 8 times and then a blithering blathering "so sorry this happened to you - NO REFUNDS!" My Medicare kicked in and CALCOV stopped. With NO WARNING, they took ALL that money from my account and WONT REFUND IT. It is for coverage in January. this account was ended a week earlier, with the help of my CAL covered REP. Health Net is a RISK they don't pay on time and you cant talk to reps without being hung up on. My DOG had better health coverage, 20 years ago, than these lying stinking weasels can provide

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I have been searching for Supplemental insurance to cover IVF treatments. I paid $645 to get started with it with Health Net on a multiplayer with Valiant and Aspire 500. The conversation was recorded, I provided all the codes for all the procedures, and I was assured by a "licensed insurance rep" that every code was covered 70% and in addition up to $2000 per occurrence for surgery, including egg extractions. I Also confirmed with the insurance rep that the clinic that I was going to Participated with the insurance plan.

The clinic emailed me today and said that they spoke to a rep who told them that nothing is covered. The insurance rep 110% knew that I already had insurance insurance through the federal government, and that I was just looking for supplemental insurance through an individual plan to cover fertility treatments specifically with no underlying illness. I've called several numbers to try and figure this out, and either every link goes to a page not found or every person I speak with can't help me. So here I am paying 6000 out of pocket for medications And about $6000 for surgery in 2 weeks. And apparently I've just wasted another $645. Where's all this insurance that does nothing for me.

The worst part is, I got really excited and I shared this information with every military page I could find because so many people look for insurance companies that will cover ivf that we can pay out a pocket for. Since TRICARE does not cover these costs for us. Many of us put having children aside because of our careers and hold the moves and By the time we slow down or retire, we're 40 and it's too late for us to have babies on our own. Please help and spread the word that this company is a scam. Thanks. - Heartbroken in California (Shaleena).

Health Net response

We want to help, Shaleena. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

The registration process is a complete joke. I signed up for insurance in May but it is December and I still do not have access to my account to search for a provider BUT HealthNet has no problem taking my money for services I fully able to access. It took several months MONTHS to receive my ID and get entered into the system. Then, I tried to access my account and my birthdate was wrong which required hours of waiting on hold, filling out forms, and waiting for the system to be corrected. Now, I am trying to register my account but my account number and DOB is not recognized by the system.

It has been 1.5 hour and I am online with 3 different customer service representatives (the first told me I need to speak to group member services, the second hung up on me, and the one I am currently on hold with is not sure she can help me but is not willing to elevate my phone call to channel of help). The system is absolutely awful! The employees are clearly not being adequately trained to respond to these issues properly. If you are able to use a different service, I recommend avoiding HealthNet.

Health Net response

We want to help, Angie. Please check your private messages.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information