3.9/5 (544 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Health Net

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

It's currently December 2022 and I've been trying to change my assigned healthcare office since August 2022. HealthNet has assigned me to one 50 miles from my home while my husband is 1 mile from our home. After being on the phone for HOURS (3 different calls), they STILL can't get it done. Not to mention that one of the supervisors by the name of "Jean" hung up on me after I waited on the line for about an hour. My strong suggestion, go with Kaiser or Blue Cross. They get any requests done at the first call. BEWARE HEALTH NET. They are horrific. At this point I'm sure Medical is better.

Health Net response

We want to help, Karina. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

This health insurance is awful. I'm a nurse myself and choose to pay out of pocket for insurance (I pay around 500 a month for insurance) because I want to work per diem. Their provider list is not updated online so when you call Health Net to ask for a provider/specialist, they give you providers that may not even be covered by your insurance. I just now called Healthnet for a retina specialist and the lady on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. She also transferred me to eye med even though I told her I didn't need an optometrist (I already have been on the phone for 45 mins) and eye med told me they do not cover eye specialists. So now I have to call back and potentially wait another 45 mins. This is just one of the many complaints I have about Healthnet.

They also do not have TMJ specialists close by (they had one but they were located in San Diego) and I live in LA. I had to pay out of pocket for my tmj specialist so I've spent thousands of dollars on tests/oral appliance/sleep study, etc just because Healthnet did not have a provider to treat me and they also do deny claims. Healthnet is corrupt. I would never recommend this insurance to anyone.

Health Net response

We want to help, Brittany. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to do business with this insurance company over the past 5 years. Although I was not contracted with this company they were under the umbrella of MHN for mental health services. They also unfortunately fall under a secondary insurance for Medicare and MediCal patients. FIRST: What I know about HealthNet is that if they want something on a patient, they know how to contact you by phone to obtain a patient's personal and protected information. Second: What I just discovered is the following and this is directed to providers. I have 20 claims since June 2022 that were submitted as secondary insurances for Medicare patients which have not been paid by HealthNet.

My billing person called them today (10-24-22) and asked why they had not been paid. Here is their response, they were paid but they had all been returned undelivered because they had been sent to a previous office location which has been closed for the past 4 years. Did they contact me regarding this undelivered mail. No. They were happy to keep the money that rightfully is owed to me for services rendered.

Anyone who knows anything about providers knows that insurance companies incessantly hound us almost monthly for our locations, and hours of service by mail, email and phone. We also report our addresses, phone numbers and hours to governing agencies to gather our information quarterly. Not to mention that as providers we all report our information to many different entities to make sure that we are located. These days anything can be found on the web just like my looking for reviews on HealthNet which is why I decided to post this. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

No matter what, Health Net will not approve a claim. I had a Covid test that was over $100 so submitted a claim. After 6 weeks went by I decided to call to check on it and they said they never received it. The 2nd time I sent it I sent it with proof of receipt so they could not say they did not receive it. That time they said I wrote in an incorrect member ID but after looking at the form I submitted, my member ID was correct, but they wrote down my member ID wrong. They eventually never approved it saying I needed a certain claim # that the tester did not provide. Recently I submitted another claim for an OTC covid test. Again they said they never received it. I asked if I can just submit a claim through email and they said no. I'm guessing this is to substantially reduce the amount of claims that they have to approve.

Health Net response

We want to help, Jonathan. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

****Health Net Will Deactivate and Activate Your Insurance Without Ever Notifying You**** I have had ongoing billing problems and didn’t have eligibility with a couple of doctors despite having paid the premiums. My monthly premium was $430.82/mo and was being billed automatically to my credit card. However, I was billed $1,173.12 in May. Called and they corrected the issue. Was later notified that my new premium amount would be $453.35/mo effective June 2022. In June they billed my credit card $906.70, 2 months worth of premiums. I did not make the July and August payments. I also called and said I would like to send a monthly check in lieu of having premiums overcharged to my credit card.

Sent a check for $453.35 to cover September 2022. On 09-06-22 my dermatologist told me I didn't have insurance. About 2 weeks later I drove 60 miles round trip to my primary care provider (pcp) only to be told my insurance was inactive. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and provided a list of all payments made and all credits received with the bank statements attached. On 09-26-22 I called the pharmacy and my pcp to verify I had eligibility and found out my insurance had been reinstated. I have spent hours with email exchanges and phone calls remedying their mistakes and it began to feel like a part time job.

Health Net response

We want to help, Cari. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I moved from Oregon in June 2020. I called and cancelled my insurance and sent a letter. There should be no reason to have insurance with this company. They have re-signed me up without notice twice, and who are they billing?? This has messed with my coverage here. They have cancelled important doctor appointments because my SS shows coverage in Oregon. This is a huge problem!! I have health issues that cannot be addressed because they keep do this.

This has gone on for 3 years!!!! Really bad business practice!!! They do not contact you (the insured). They need to cancel and require a signature before being able to re-insure!! And who are they billing!!! The state of Oregon paid my premium??

Health Net response

We want to help, Rhonda. Please check your private messages.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Say no to Hnet. I have had every referral, every procedure denied, sent 30 miles from my residence. Most recent mental health referral approved for provider who does not even take Hnet. Being killed by healthcare.

Health Net response

We want to help, Cheryl. Please check your private messages.

Original review: June 8, 2022

They put every possible barrier in your way to receive help, hold times are ridiculous. In their defense the entire country has a EXTREMELY WARPED view about health care! When are we going to fix it? It’s absolutely insane that we as American citizens have to STRUGGLE and pay obscene amounts of money to get basic health care!

Health Net response

We want to help, Micah. Please check your private messages.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have never had such a terrible experience with a health insurance provider. I opted for the UC Blue & Gold HMO plan, thinking I'd have access to great physicians. Instead, I have been trying desperately (and ultimately unsuccessfully) to find a neurologist to address nerve pains for the past three months. Health Net's provider list is out-of-date, some physicians there have left the region years ago. In other cases, I found specialists that were listed as "accepting new patients," but as soon as I got my referral to them, they disappeared from the provider list. Other times, the phone numbers do not correspond to the current workplaces of doctors. Customer service has tried to help, but everyone has access to the same outdated and pretty useless database.

I contacted Health Net's staff several times and, each time, was promised help, but no competent help ever arrived. In the end, my coverage ended without me having seen a much needed neurologist. (So, please do not reply to this by stating that you want to help.)

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Health Net is by far the worst insurance I ever had. Comically bad. The company is a scam. It's taken me a year to try and get a single COVID test reimbursed. They make multiple mistakes, customer service gives conflicting and incorrect information, they LOST my documents and claim forms TWICE already. They also made a mistake by reimbursing completely unrelated and incorrect hospitals/clinics...ALSO TWICE! Dealing with this unreliable company is an unbelievable headache. I literally have never had such a bad experience with any company, ever, in any industry. Unbelievable.

Health Net response

We want to help, Reid. Please check your private messages.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information