3.9/5 (539 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Health Net

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I moved from Oregon in June 2020. I called and cancelled my insurance and sent a letter. There should be no reason to have insurance with this company. They have re-signed me up without notice twice, and who are they billing?? This has messed with my coverage here. They have cancelled important doctor appointments because my SS shows coverage in Oregon. This is a huge problem!! I have health issues that cannot be addressed because they keep do this.

This has gone on for 3 years!!!! Really bad business practice!!! They do not contact you (the insured). They need to cancel and require a signature before being able to re-insure!! And who are they billing!!! The state of Oregon paid my premium??

Health Net response

We want to help, Rhonda. Please check your private messages.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Say no to Hnet. I have had every referral, every procedure denied, sent 30 miles from my residence. Most recent mental health referral approved for provider who does not even take Hnet. Being killed by healthcare.

Health Net response

We want to help, Cheryl. Please check your private messages.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2022

They put every possible barrier in your way to receive help, hold times are ridiculous. In their defense the entire country has a EXTREMELY WARPED view about health care! When are we going to fix it? It’s absolutely insane that we as American citizens have to STRUGGLE and pay obscene amounts of money to get basic health care!

Health Net response

We want to help, Micah. Please check your private messages.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have never had such a terrible experience with a health insurance provider. I opted for the UC Blue & Gold HMO plan, thinking I'd have access to great physicians. Instead, I have been trying desperately (and ultimately unsuccessfully) to find a neurologist to address nerve pains for the past three months. Health Net's provider list is out-of-date, some physicians there have left the region years ago. In other cases, I found specialists that were listed as "accepting new patients," but as soon as I got my referral to them, they disappeared from the provider list. Other times, the phone numbers do not correspond to the current workplaces of doctors. Customer service has tried to help, but everyone has access to the same outdated and pretty useless database.

I contacted Health Net's staff several times and, each time, was promised help, but no competent help ever arrived. In the end, my coverage ended without me having seen a much needed neurologist. (So, please do not reply to this by stating that you want to help.)

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Health Net is by far the worst insurance I ever had. Comically bad. The company is a scam. It's taken me a year to try and get a single COVID test reimbursed. They make multiple mistakes, customer service gives conflicting and incorrect information, they LOST my documents and claim forms TWICE already. They also made a mistake by reimbursing completely unrelated and incorrect hospitals/clinics...ALSO TWICE! Dealing with this unreliable company is an unbelievable headache. I literally have never had such a bad experience with any company, ever, in any industry. Unbelievable.

Health Net response

We want to help, Reid. Please check your private messages.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I’ve already reported this to CID, which I recommend everybody else does right now because I’m going to tell you, no representative is any help, they will continue to offer you assistance rather than forwarding you to a supervisor/manager, but their way of helping is putting you on hold for 1-2 hours in order to delay the issue, it what this company is known for. I simply just wanted a cancellation and I was also informed by representative Diana and Shawna that I have 1200 in compensation.

To this day, I haven’t gotten my refund NOR have I gotten a simple cancellation, which is causing me to still automatically pay for their policy. This issue is so simple, yet it is taking them over a month to “resolve” it. I now wonder how they’re still in business, I will forever tell everyone that I know to stay away from this company as much as possible. The worst company I’ve ever cooperated with— not that they even ever cooperated with me.

Health Net response

We want to help, Alexandra. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 14, 2022

This insurance company is built to piss off the customers. I am confident that Health Net is the WORST insurance company in the world regarding customer services. Every time I call the customer service to make a payment, I realize what a worst phone response I have ever experienced. I don't know why the recipient is talking like a ** while she is receiving salary with the money I pay.

Health Net response

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: March 6, 2022

My domestic partner has been trying to cancel her policy since October 2021 and she is still getting charged. She has insurance through her employer and no longer needs this policy yet she is getting charged for a policy she does not need or want. Every time she calls the attendant can see all of her attempts since that time and they assure her that it will be corrected but it never gets corrected. She has asked to speak with a supervisor and they always say that their supervisor is in a meeting. How convenient. It is clear to me that Health Net is not a good company.

Health Net response

We want to help, Scott. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I purchased covid19 self-test kits, they are covered for reimbursement by Federal Law. I called Health Net to know the procedure to have the covid19 test kits reimbursed, the customer service representative on the line made me wait for over 2 hours on the line to tell me the correct form, he wasn't educated on the issue. I filled out the form and put the receipts, and mailed them out to the address on the form. The form was received within 2 days. I called Health Net to have a payment date, since it has been over 15 days that they received my claim form and I've been in the line with Supervisor Jed L. for over 2 hours, they are saying that they didn't receive the claim form. In 2 hours that I have been on the phone, the supervisor above is going in circle and is making me wait for over 30 minutes at a time for me to give up and hang up the phone. Very frustrating and stressful situation without a resolution.

Health Net response

We have forwarded your message to our team. A Health Net team member will be reaching out to provide assistance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I have 4 root canal needs, when the doctor sent request to Health Net to apply authorization, I was denied 3 of them, It took me a lot of time to appeal with healthnet, they finally Deny my APPEAL, eventually I have to change my medi-cal insurance to strict Medi-cal, and another dentist who applied to Medi-cal directly and got approved all the teeth root canal authorization immediately. I was so angry and confused about Health-net, I want to let everybody know that never choose health net dental, they are not really want to help people in need, never choose healthnet, terrible experience for me, my teeth have had pain for a few month only because of their irresponsible deny decision. It's really a nightmare for my dental experience.

Health Net author review by Joseph Burns

Health Net offers coverage to people in Arizona, California and Colorado. It is a California Market Plan associate, which means that low-income patients in California can get discounted insurance via Health Net under ACA rules.

• Choice between HMO and PPO plans: Consumers have the ability to decide whether they want an HMO plan, which offers a limited amount of in-network doctors, or a PPO plan that gives them access to more doctors.

• An ACA Health Insurance Marketplace company: Under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, every state must offer low-cost health insurance through either its own Health Insurance Marketplace or the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Health Net is affiliated with the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, which means consumers can expect lower costs and the ability to use tax credits to cover part or all of their premiums.

• Large variety of plans: There are lots of plans available, including Medicare coverage and coverage for students.

• Customer service: Although Health Net offers round-the-clock customer service, the sheer number of people calling in may lead to long wait times.

• Deductibles: Health Net’s low premium rates often mean high deductibles.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Health Net Company Information