3.8/5 (262 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Health Net

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Health Net Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Health Net?

Resolution response: May 16, 2022

After weeks and weeks of violently complaining to anyone and everyone, they DID finally come through and refund the money. The time, energy and FRUSTRATION of this matter will never be rectified but it was cleared up. Dealing with them was a nightmare however and it took the perseverance of a pitbull to resolve!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

RUN, dear God RUN, and do NOT think about using this ripoff "insurance" company. They stole $895.16 out of my autopay, with NO explanation at all. REPEATED calls to them got me hung up on 5 times, disconnected 8 times and then a blithering blathering "so sorry this happened to you - NO REFUNDS!" My Medicare kicked in and CALCOV stopped. With NO WARNING, they took ALL that money from my account and WONT REFUND IT. It is for coverage in January. this account was ended a week earlier, with the help of my CAL covered REP. Health Net is a RISK they don't pay on time and you cant talk to reps without being hung up on. My DOG had better health coverage, 20 years ago, than these lying stinking weasels can provide

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I have been searching for Supplemental insurance to cover IVF treatments. I paid $645 to get started with it with Health Net on a multiplayer with Valiant and Aspire 500. The conversation was recorded, I provided all the codes for all the procedures, and I was assured by a "licensed insurance rep" that every code was covered 70% and in addition up to $2000 per occurrence for surgery, including egg extractions. I Also confirmed with the insurance rep that the clinic that I was going to Participated with the insurance plan.

The clinic emailed me today and said that they spoke to a rep who told them that nothing is covered. The insurance rep 110% knew that I already had insurance insurance through the federal government, and that I was just looking for supplemental insurance through an individual plan to cover fertility treatments specifically with no underlying illness. I've called several numbers to try and figure this out, and either every link goes to a page not found or every person I speak with can't help me. So here I am paying 6000 out of pocket for medications And about $6000 for surgery in 2 weeks. And apparently I've just wasted another $645. Where's all this insurance that does nothing for me.

The worst part is, I got really excited and I shared this information with every military page I could find because so many people look for insurance companies that will cover ivf that we can pay out a pocket for. Since TRICARE does not cover these costs for us. Many of us put having children aside because of our careers and hold the moves and By the time we slow down or retire, we're 40 and it's too late for us to have babies on our own. Please help and spread the word that this company is a scam. Thanks. - Heartbroken in California (Shaleena).

Health Net response

We want to help, Shaleena. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

The registration process is a complete joke. I signed up for insurance in May but it is December and I still do not have access to my account to search for a provider BUT HealthNet has no problem taking my money for services I fully able to access. It took several months MONTHS to receive my ID and get entered into the system. Then, I tried to access my account and my birthdate was wrong which required hours of waiting on hold, filling out forms, and waiting for the system to be corrected. Now, I am trying to register my account but my account number and DOB is not recognized by the system.

It has been 1.5 hour and I am online with 3 different customer service representatives (the first told me I need to speak to group member services, the second hung up on me, and the one I am currently on hold with is not sure she can help me but is not willing to elevate my phone call to channel of help). The system is absolutely awful! The employees are clearly not being adequately trained to respond to these issues properly. If you are able to use a different service, I recommend avoiding HealthNet.

Health Net response

We want to help, Angie. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

This insurance company is a pure scam. They are taking people's money and providing nothing. None of their online/app interfaces work, the people on their 1 800 number gave no clue what they're doing. If you call a Dr and mention Health Net you'll get hostile responses, I guess no one wants to deal with them. My husband broke his arm, Health Net told my husband to get a referral from Urgent Care to see an Orthopedic Dr.

The pace they sent him to had a lunatic Dr who yelled at him and threw his paperwork at him because "how the hell am I supposed to make money like this!?". Got the referral, called the list of Orthopedic Dr. Health Net gave us, all of them except one wouldn't accept Health Net and the one that did wouldn't accept the referral from the Dr. Health Net sent us too. So my husband has a broken arm and no one will help him. We may as well be living in a third-world country.

Health Net response

We want to help, Sharon. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

They took big government pp loans but take money and do not treat the community. It's a scam. Leave while you can. I will try my best to expose this place. It takes funds but no one sees a doctor for several years if you still alive. Trust me, it's a scam.

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I need to have a very serious surgery and Healthnet is dragging its feet. In about a month or two I'm going to need a blood transfusion if my surgery is not authorized. My Dr's office is appalled that Health net is dragging their feet on an URGENT AUTHORIZATION because I'm slowly bleeding out due to abnormal sized fibroids and an enlarged uterus. It also doesn't help that I suffer from MS. Last Dr visit to my primary was extremely scary. She made it clear that I'm not producing blood properly. My Dr already had to cancel my scheduled Sept 28th surgery. Still no word and I had to go through another period that had me bedridden. Dealing with this company has become a detriment to my health.

Health Net response

We want to help, Sheena. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Do not get Health Net as your health insurance provider. They lie about the PPO, I called in advance and spoke to a very rude person who told me that I can go to any doctor since it is a PPO, she said that it is out of network I will just have to pay the co-pay. I scheduled the appointment with the Dr. and when I checked in they told me that I have to pay cash because Health Net does not pay them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I have Tricare Prime insurance, which is linked to Healthnet, which changed from United Health Care. This company has continually denied my claims to get my vascular surgeries done, even though I desperately need it. I have nine leaky veins, causing blood to flow away from my heart, causing pooling in my lower extremities. They still consider my issue to be cosmetic. I’m at a potentially serious risk for blood clots, and nobody, including anyone at my doctor’s office, or even at Tricare is willing to help me. I was told that it’s not a covered benefit, so I may have to go out of pocket.

Nobody ever calls me back either. I’m the only one attempting to get this situation resolved, but with zero success. I was told I could file an appeal, but that will probably be a long drawn out process. My husband is retired military, but since he retired, medical care for us both has gone drastically downhill. It’s very frustrating because we pay for insurance every month, yet can’t receive care when it’s necessary. I don’t think Healthnet realizes the repercussions of what could happen if I develop blood clots. I’m high risk, and if this happens they’re looking at a lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

If you’d like a health insurance company that loves to make you work hard to overturn for errors THEY made, steal your money, time and sanity then this health insurance company is right for you! Dealing with a medical claim for the past 5 months for a medical coverage I was recently denied only to be told it was actually covered after the procedure. They then denied me my refunds, make it absolutely HELL to go through the strict reimbursement process and called customer service numerous times for help only to be told “sorry can’t help you”. Not to mention their plans are denied to me at almost every medical facility. I’m getting out of this crap of insurance provider and taking my business elsewhere. Health Net needs to be shut down for GOOD.

We want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Beware: I've experienced too many providers who have problems getting paid by Health Net. I have been told by my next provider, If we don't get paid for the first 2 hours of your treatment, your insurance has left us no choice but to discontinue servicing you. There is all I care to share.

Health Net response

We want to help, Cynthia. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The website makes no sense and is poorly built and riddled with errors and sloppy coding. The service people can't seem to keep records straight. It was the cheapest plan my employer offered so I went with it, but do yourself a favor and stay away from these guys.

Health Net response

Hi Lukas, we want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Health Net is a scam. Worst health insurance I ever had!! One star is too strong a rating. I have been waiting for authorization for a surgery I need, since February 2018. The doctor's office has been trying to get the precertification pushed through since then, as well as myself calling repeatedly to get information. I am never, ever able to speak to someone that seems to know anything about my case, even though they certainly must have the information on file and have been contacted by myself and the doctor's office dozens of times since then. I believe this type of service borders on criminal.

Health Net response

Hi Lorrie, we want to help. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 25, 2021

This is hands down the great scam artist company I have ever encountered. My work switched me to this “health plan” and it is absolutely awful. I purchased their Platinum PPO plan and they have denied absolutely every single claim, doctors request and prescription I have attempted. $800 per month and they cover NOTHING! They should all be in prison! Here’s to praying the earth opens up and their headquarters are swallowed up whole! Every senior management member of this company should be indicted for fraud.

Health Net response

We want to help, Tyler. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Health Net sent a letter to its customers explaining that a Health Net vendor had been hacked and that hackers got customers' personal information. They are careless with customer's data and need to take more IT precautions. I cannot recommend Health Net.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Having dealt with the healthcare system since I was 14, I am not stranger to how awful of an experience it can be. However, Health net's lack of compassion, and constant arguing with my doctors is unique. They are limiting my use of a medication is previously used 3 times a day down to 1 AGAINST THE MEDICAL ADVICE OF MY PRIMARY DOC AND SPECIALIST. These people do not know kindness or reason for that matter, I encourage anyone/any family with consistent medical problems to steer far clear of them.

Health Net response

We want to help, Eli. Please check your private messages.

Original review: March 1, 2021

The worker said I wasn't found in the system. All rude and argued with me instead of listening to me before I could even get a word out. I was trying to ask a question about my membership. Because I saw I was ENROLLED on your website but instead she was rude and hung up in my face. I will be calling corporate.

Health Net response

We want to help, Ajike. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Referrals are usually denied. What you have access to are terrible, unavailable doctors. Most care is denied, the clinics you can get referrals to go to are horrible walk-in style places that won’t make appointments and have limited availability. It’s virtually impossible to get an appointment anywhere even with your PCP. Had to pay out of pocket for emergency dental care I desperately needed because Health Net decided that it was unnecessary. This insurance is the absolute worst. I have a serious condition I haven’t been able to get help with for months even after finally qualifying for Medi-cal because it has been an absolute nightmare trying to get the care I need because this insurance puts up walls between me and providers that can help at every possible opportunity. I cannot state enough how awful this insurance is. It’s like having none at all but your life is twice as frustrating and difficult. Don’t choose this plan please.

Health Net response

We want to help, Marcella. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I was seen by my dentist who was not the network of Health Net. She wrote me a referral to see oral surgeon including TM joint problem. I called Healthnet member services which waited over half an hour and got answer of asking my PCP for referral for my TM joint. I called Healthnet dental member services and informed me there was orosurgeon network for healthnet. I booked appointment of the same orosurgeon who is both TM joint specialist and orosurgeon. But they said the referrals were not right and told me to call Healthnet again who told me to ask my doctor and dentist to call for pre authorized referrals. I called my PCP who said he was busy and couldn't have time for preauthorized referral...and didn't make sense to ask for authorization of referral..

I was stuck and couldn't ask both dentist and medical who had my referrals sent to the orosurgeon and my tooth was hurt with pain and luckily was seen by ENT doctor who said my tooth infection causing me sore throat, gum infection with forehead and earache too... I was on antibiotic for 2 weeks but my problem was stuck due to the insurance bad policy.. The problem was not resolved and if the infected tooth was not resolved, it might go to my brain and elsewhere... This insurance policy is making me death sooner or later.

Health Net response

We want to help, Vickie. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Do not use Health Net, pay more if you have to, read reviews. Call member services all you want, issues which you will surely have will not be resolved. This company is your typical "we are experiencing high call volumes" company. Service is non existent. A disaster in every sense of the word, from billing to pharmacy to getting medical cards to getting on member portal. A "customer is an inconvenience attitude" is the norm.

Health Net response

We want to help, Richard. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

As of beginning of this year I changed my plan from Blue Shield to Health Net. What a big mistake. Even the primary dr that they assigned me Doctor ** didn't accept my insurance. I called three times. Every time they give me new doctor something went wrong. Thank god I have still chance till March 15 to change them.

Health Net response

We want to help, Sam. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This company is extremely hard to get a hold of! My 18-year-old son who lives in California had a Foley catheter placed through his back and into his bladder because he has a very large kidney stone blocking his urinary tract. Then he was released and sent him because he went to a hospital that health net did not cover and they would not authorize and out of network surgery. They then sent him to his provider which he couldn't get an appointment into until 4 days later. Now it has been seven days since the appointment with his PCP. We have been calling all week to find out what is going on but could not get through to anybody at the PCP. Finally, yesterday, we did get through and they said the authorization had not been processed for the urologist. Today I decided to call HealthNet to find out what was taking so long and when I did call I only got sent to a real human being because it would not accept his identification information on the automated system. The lady who answered was very kind but let me know that their computers have been down since 8:00 that morning and that that happens quite often but they should have it back up and running in a couple of hours. My son called a couple of hours later (because he is 18 after all) and they told him that they would get back to him about the authorization and nine business days but maybe sooner. This is an 18 year old boy who has had a a hole cut into him and a bag hanging from his side for almost 2 weeks now and they are dragging their feet on the procedure that could help him. I don't understand how this is acceptable in any way shape or form in the health insurance industry.

Resolution response: July 1, 2021

I was contacted by a representative for Healthnet because of this review, and although it took over a month of back and forth and escalating the issue through customer service, they did (FINALLY!) resolve the issue in my favor. It was still a PIA, but I am staying with Healthnet because they still are less $$ than the other PPO options and I like my primary care physician. Meanwhile, I give ConsumerAffairs five stars all the way! :)

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I got a letter with a charge of over $500 saying "the services received were not authorized by your primary care physician". It was an appointment with my PCP!! Turns out Healthnet accidentally changed it on me last year. They will not admit this is an expensive clerical mistake on their part. My PCP is still in the network And of course they will not pay for the doctor's visit now.

Health Net response

We want to help, Robin. Please check your private messages.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Updated on 12/08/2020: It has been over three months now trying to get our refund. They responded to our review on this site saying they want to help, spoke with two supervisors and still nothing. Even left a voicemail for Lori ** and she never called back. We were emailing with Irene who told us we were denied the refund after three months of doing exactly what they told us to do, and they promised if we did what they asked which was basically doing their jobs for them, we would have our refund. Now it’s denied. They say we are with covered California yet we are only with Health Net and called covered California four times and they told us we are not in their system. They are blaming them so they don’t have to send our refund. I am disgusted with this company and will continue posting reviews with their names and speaking with attorneys. So sad what this world has come to.

Original Review: I purchased medical insurance for my husband in August of 2020. At the time we knew we would eventually be moving to TN in the future and I was told we could use this insurance there as well. After I made our first payment on September 1st I asked once again if we could use in TN and was told no. I canceled our policy immediately and was told we would receive a refund in 3 to 5 business days. Never received anything.

I have called every other week for three months now and I am told every time we will receive our refund via our debit card in 7 to 10 business days. The worst part is every employee has a different story for what went wrong and why we have not received our refund and we were continuing to be billed even when it was supposed to be cancelled. When I call I always ask what has been done to complete the refund since our last call and the agent says nothing so basically as soon as we hang up the ball is dropped and my account is ignored.

The last call I made was a week and a half ago and I finally was able to speak to a manager. Most other agents told me it was impossible to do transfers because they work from home which was a lie. I spoke with London who said she was the billing manager, she apologized for the mess and headache we had been through and promised us an expedited refund. She said we would not have to call again and for sure the money would be in our account as soon as 3 business days. Still nothing!!

I can not believe how unprofessional this company is and now after reading all their reviews I see they do this often to customers. This makes me sick, times are hard and we need this money to get new insurance for my husband and they could care less. I have told several agents this and still nothing. I am ready to take legal action if I have to because I am so tired of having to call and beg for our money only to be lied to every time. Do not use this Insurance company!! They don’t care about their customers only money!!

Health Net response

Hi Jodie, we are sorry to hear that. Please contact us at the email provided. Once we have your information we will have our team reach out to you directly.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Healthnet/Centene takes contracts for lower income Americans in billions of dollars, but they deny care. They will never give you a referral. I had to go the ER 9 times in the last 4 years because they wouldn't send me to a specialist and my health got worst to a point where I almost died. They will try to delay Important things like MRIs, Specialist appointment's etc, to expand their profits. I am shocked how State officials are still giving these greedy people contracts. There's reports of people dying. One man who died of colon cancer because he could not see an specialist for years, another woman died of kidney disease. But guess what. Centene's stock went up and the CEO just took gave himself an extra 25 million dollars in compensation. I am shocked that human life has no value to these people on money.

Health Net response

We want to help, Jasi. Please check your private messages.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I spent 5 days trying to determine my dental insurance coverage. Spoke with several agents in the process and received several varied responses regarding my coverage. Finally contacted them with my agent (which recommended them) on the line and although they had differing opinions about what the contract stated at the start of the year, it seemed that the coverage changed during the course of the year. I wouldn't recommend Health Net to anyone. It's too bad I didn't do my research and read through the reviews listed. Stay far far away from Health Net.

Health Net response

We want to help, David. Please check your private messages.

Original review: June 23, 2020

1- Unfriendly customer service representative, and not helpful at all.

2- Wanted to change Doctor, which name was pulled from their website after research, and kept claiming that this Dr. is not in our network... despite me repeating to her that I was logged in to health net online and the information is in front of my eyes.

3- When asked to speak to a manager or supervisor, I was asked is a "lead" okay, then was put on hold and got disconnected.

Health Net response

We want to help, Shahriar. Please check your private messages.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I owe the hospital over $13,000 dollars due to an emergency room visit that was apparently not covered. My credit score is currently over 700, but now I will have a HUGE hit and flag on my record because of a mistake make by their unqualified representatives. Every year the provider changes to some random doctor after you re-apply. So it’s a scramble to keep anything and everything going on, medically.

I was in the middle of back injections and I all-of-a-sudden had bills and was told I can’t continue treatment because I am not covered. In attempting to get my previous provider and doctors, the customer service representative says “OOPS” on the phone after clicking something he was NOT supposed to. Which left me without coverage for 5 weeks. But he told me I would be fine if anything happens and I need to see the hospital.

I had to go to ER with several lower abdomen and back pain, vomiting, fever, I had to go! Well.. I was NOT covered, filed a grievance, it was denied. I had call reference numbers, dates, name it. I hadn’t heard anything in about a year. I thought it was cleared up. I get slapped with a final notice bill of $13,510.00 to be paid in full by 6/26/20, today is 6/10/20. I’m on my last check of unemployment and my job hasn’t given me notice to come back after covid-19. Not to mention I’m in California slowly coming to a start. I have bills like everyone else does with a car payment and a roof over their head and a family to care for. Whatever you do... I highly advise you to NEVER go through HealthNet.

Health Net response

We want to help, Justin. Please check your private messages.

Original review: May 18, 2020

HealthNet gave me a random Primary Care physician for my daughter, even though I selected her regular Dr during enrollment who is listed as in Network. Fast forward and I realize the error when it’s time to get my Daughter seen for a knee injury and I can’t get into to her regular Dr. No problem, I change her Primary Care Dr online and then call the next day to follow up. The customer service rep tells me 10-14days, the following month before the change takes effect. After an hour over the phone, he then tells me they will backdate for the current month, but they need approval and they will call me back. I never get a call back.

In the meantime I try and make an appointment with the Dr. I did not select and no return calls after 3 attempts. I call HealthNet again to check on the status of the approval to correct the error on her Primary care physician and after 2 hours on the phone, I’m back to the same situation - they tell me the same thing, they are back dating the change and will call me when it’s approved. I’ve escalated the problem 2x to supervisors and still have no resolution, there is no change of Primary care Dr and my daughter can’t get seen and is in pain. The inadequacy is causing delays in accessing needed healthcare and subjecting customers to exceedingly long wait times, lasting several hours to address these problems.

Health Net response

We want to help, Corinne. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 27, 2020

1.5 years after a claim was processed and paid by Healthnet, Healthnet retroactively took back the money from the medical provider and the medical provider billed me in full in the amount of over $1,000. Healthnet claimed they were not the primary insurance provider, when in fact they were, which I've proven on multiple occasions and at least one rep has admitted to.

Healthnet did not notify me of that they were recouping claim money already paid, nor did they engage in a conversation with the provider. They simply made an incorrect assessment and now as a result I'm saddled with over $1,000 in charges that should not be my responsibility. I've spent over 15 hours on the phone with Healthnet alone trying to rectify this and have been told by the medical office I need to submit a payment or risk being sent to collections. Healthnet representatives have repeatedly put me on extended holds of over 20 minutes, have told me they will call me back to follow up and never have, and have told me they have sent the claims back to be reprocessed, which also never happened.

In short, there has been near total dysfunction at every level except the swift and unjust action of taking back payment for services rendered. All the while the medical provider has grown more agitated, and I'm forced to decide between paying a claim that was already paid then recouped, or continuing to spend hours on the phone with Healthnet, starting over each conversation with their representatives and receiving the same false promises of resolution.

Health Net response

We want to help, Justin. Please check your private messages.

Original review: April 21, 2020

HealthNet changed out insurance and we were sent a new plan with a different primary physician. We were under the assumption we weren't able to have who we had chosen. I called them to confirm the details on my health insurance card. I went to the dr on my card to get a referral to a specialist. I received a bill from them with ridiculous charges, like a strep throat test which was NEVER administered etc. I called to advise that I have active insurance and they advised they had changed my primary card dr to whom we initially requested. I advised we were not notified nor sent a card with new insurance details, a letter, a notification and I had even been advised by a representative to go to who was on my card. It was in the same group (Canopy Health anyway) so was advised I should file a complaint to have this covered and it should be paid.

I was assigned someone to "Assist" who never responded to emails, wouldn't return my phone calls, didn't acknowledge that my card was received with those details and I could not get a hold of. Today I received a letter saying they wont pay for my dr/specialist visit. A bill which together is $500, and after paying insurance for 16 years and can count on one hand the time it has been used, the healthcare would not pay for the dr visit. We are taking to BBB and changing insurance companies now but BEWARE to anyone considering Healthnet. They will deny paying every way they can, their customer service is terrible and they are an awful company to deal with. The stress it will cause you will not worth looking elsewhere for insurance at all costs.

Health Net response

We want to help, Mareesa. Please check your private messages.

Health Net Company Information