3.03/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

Get matched with a recommended annuity company

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

37 MassMutual Annuities Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have an annuity with MassMutual due to a previous employer ending their pensions and replacing them with annuities. My annuity was supposed to start Nov 1, 2018 and I have not received either the November or December payments. They have stated that they have all my paperwork and are still processing it and will not provide any guarantee of when I will receive my money. Note that I have been very responsive to provide the requested information and I have called many many times.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

UNABLE TO GET AN EMAIL ADDRESS: Unable to have funds rolled over as per my direction. Unable to locate plan document. MassMutual brokers unable to provide plan contact. Next step file complaints. Proof the next stock market crash is days away.

Get expert buying tips about Annuities delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

When I started the policy monthly direct debit was established. MassMutual never sent yearly statements, which should show any fee saved if the premium is paid in full. I realized that there must be savings if I pay full yearly amount in one go. I called and I was told by their rep that there are NO savings in paying full amount. Year later at the beginning of the policy period I called again, asked same question and told the date and details of the previous conversation. When the managers were listening to that recording they kept transferring me from one rep to another for over an hour. One lady said she will email me, after noticing their blunder. A rep called me thousands miles away from my home at my daughter's house (God knows where they got the phone # from). Their reps always call before replying emails. When I ask for the copy of their calls, they tell me it is MassMutual's property.

MassMutual have my original phone call (the proof) where I have asked for "login problems AND if I could save money if I pay the total premium in full rather than in monthly installments". On Dec 4, 2017, when an installment was taken automatically without MassMutual mailing me any statement, I insisted to pay in full,

I was told it is not possible because first installment is already taken. LOL. I paid up the full amount before even receiving my installment back. Yes, after saying savings will be only for 11 months MassMutual did let me take advantage for 12 months. I want at least 5 years fee refunded, when I could have easily afford to pay full amount.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Have a annuity with MassMutual. Payments were to start three years ago. To date 8/2018 have not received anything. I have called several times, each time I am told five days, ten days or shortly. All lies. Never sent anything. Keep in mind this is my money. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have contributed to MassMutual for several years now but will not ever do it again. The reason why is that my son that is 29 years old just found out he has cancer with no insurance. He has already had to major surgeries that total 202000 dollars. Now he needs chemo and radiation but doctors won't start without payment. So I sent all bills and info in to MassMutual to withdraw money thru hardship but all I have got from MassMutual for the last 2 weeks is the runaround. Seems like to me is they are trying to steal my money. I am very disappointed with them and will never send them another penny. If anybody is looking to start a retirement plan your best bet is to stay away from MassMutual.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MassMutual Annuities?

Original review: May 17, 2018

Unhappy with Rollover Process - MassMutual had to reissue my check three times. Three different representative said they would be mailing the check to my home address and would receive it in 10 business days. After 32 business days and 3 reissued checks I called in again. They said that they were actually mailed to my past employer. When I called my past employer they said that they did not receive any of the three checks. I finally got on a three way call with my new retirement account manager. MassMutual said they could once again reissue the check. It would go to my former employer.

If I wanted the 4th reissued check before 10 business days there would be a rush fee of $20 taken from my check. I asked for a manager each time I called in and they were either at lunch, on another call, or not there. By the end of the fifth call a representative was finally able to rush ship my check to my house with no added fee with a tracking number attached to the check. I should be receiving the check by Monday, and I am getting the tracking number tomorrow. I hope I am not writing this review too soon. I should also add that my account said $0 when logging in, eventually my email address was no longer associated with my online account and I could not access any of my files. Whatever money would have been invested in these past months is lost. I am wondering if any similar situations have happened to anyone else.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Do not use this company. I had a stable cash account they required me to move out of. I specifically asked if there would be any penalty or loss if I did so. They assured me there was not. I called three times to verify. They took $9,998,07 out of my account calling it a market adjustment. Stay away! They steal your hard earned money.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I have not received my December 2017 check and customer service has not been helpful, they have no explanation for why this occurred and claim electronic transfers were made on time yet their own message when you call their number states electronic transfers were also late. Is this company in financial difficulty? Are others receiving this kind of obfuscation?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This company keeps sending private confidential emails (which identifies clients by name, status of their insurance application etc.) to my company emails even after numerous attempts from me to advise them they are sending private information to the wrong company! The emails I responded to had real company email addresses to respond to and did not just have an automated mailer email. I did not receive a response nor can I detect any action from the company as I still get emails. Ask yourself, do you trust a company with your money and your future when they are so careless about keeping their client information confidential!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

DO NOT INVEST YOUR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY. They have a rule that the owner of the company must decide whether or not you can close out your account. You will not get your money unless the owner or rep for the company signs a paper and hopefully you can get them to sign it. I've reached out to the company numerous times and they could not help me. I've contacted the rep for the account and no answer. This is my money and they cannot give it to me. Do not sign up for this 401K! You would be better off with a Savings account. That way you can have access to your money. You have been warned!!!

Original review: April 8, 2017

MassMutual Annuities has wonderful customer service, you can actually reach a real person when you call them and they are very professional and friendly. I like that I can access the website first and call them if I need further assistance. I also like that I can withdraw the money anytime I want to and they are fast. They have a lot of different options and ways you can withdraw your money and the payout is quick. They pay you exactly what you are owed with no fuss and hassle, I've never had any problems with them before. They have a lot of different ways you can add money to your account as well.

Original review: April 2, 2017

MassMutual’s customer service was very nice and the lady was very professional. She helped me get what I needed done. There was many withdraw options, I looked over them and found the one I wanted to use and the best one for me. Once I did that the process became very simple and fast. If I put in a certain amount of dollars I would get a payout if I chose to. I had some funding options, after a little thought I decided on the one that best accommodated my needs.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I can only say positive things regarding my experience with MassMutual Annuities. Their customer service was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. The withdrawal and payout options were reasonable, well thought out, and easy to action upon. When questioned or approached for help, all representatives were well-versed in the details regarding my options. Also, the funding options were safe, yet diversified enough to fit the needs of a wide variety of consumers - myself included. I had no difficulties in any regard.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I have a 401K account with MassMutual. When I left my employer I wanted to have the money transferred to individual IRA. I and my husband together called up and customer care executive was nice; he took all our details. Also explained that since we have both traditional and Roth, they shall issue two checks and will charge $40 for each. He took the name of company we intend to transfer to so he can accordingly make the checks payable. He also explained that it should take 1 to 2 business days and gave us approximate amount for both the checks.

Since I didn't notice any change to my account on 3rd day (when the markets had started going down), I called up and to my amazement the customer care executive told that they have not received instruction from us about what we want to do with our Roth Account. Hence they didn't process any of our checks while the market is going down and so does our account balance. They should pay us according to market closing on 2nd business day. But these people are just outright crooks. It's people like these that normal regular people are so afraid of accountants and stay away from investing in stock markets. All these calls are recorded as per them, why don't they go and listen to them when they have doubt? I think because they don't want to. How shall they get to harass otherwise if you are leaving them. I also have a feeling that they delay such transactions to appropriately hedge in their favour.

Original review: March 3, 2017

As long as we deposited money, Mass Mutual was all about good customer service. When we took withdrawals, we were totally disappointed in the lack of communication and executing the withdrawals according to our wishes. Poor service. We'll be seriously considering a new fiduciary company when we retire.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Customer service was as expected. Any issue I may have had was solved in a quick and efficient fashion. I couldn't be happier with the way my issues were handled. The experience was great because of the number of option available. You have two choices: Fixed rate annuity and variable annuity. With a variable annuity you have more freedom, as you get to decide how to invest your money. The payout options were as follows: Life-only, Joint-only, Fixed period, Life with period certain, and a few others that I can't think of.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Very helpful and concise, thorough group of people to work with, giving new many options to consider, and review unlike others. Process are very reasonable and cheap with lots of options. Very quick and painless with enough thought and foresight to give one a comprehensive idea of what they are embarking on with regards to financial security. Patriot options are nice and bundled with telecom and internet and hybrid electricity and gas from natural disasters that reoccur throughout time and space.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

They have ways to contact as well as manage your accounts online or through call. If you need more face to face contact, they also have a way to not only look up a local office but to make an appointment. They have different ways to withdraw. You make a request through forms of different types: governmental withdrawal or hardship withdrawal. It's up to the customer to decide which way to get the money and handling the penalty. With an income annuity, the contract owner decides how often and when to receive income. Most important, income annuities can provide income that is guaranteed, no matter what happens in the financial market. They have ways to put money into annuity. It's helpful to the point that it's getting tougher for certain people to get certain types of annuities. Just make sure to pick the tight one to put your money into.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

Customer service at MassMutual has always been fine. I have dealt with MassMutual for a while and have always been happy with customer service. They are professional and very patient with me. I have heard this from other people as well. Withdrawal options at MassMutual are typical of the industry. I have not used the withdrawal options but I am aware of them. I have seen the forms. I believe when the time comes, withdrawal will go smoothly. Of course I have happy with the funding options or I would not have chosen MassMutual. There is a wide variety of choices and information about them is available. I am happy with my choice of MassMutual.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

This highly rated company has excellent customer service and will go out of their way to make sure you are happy with how your annuity needs are being met. This company provides options on how and when to withdraw your annuity and will make the transaction as smooth as possible. It is a great company that stands behind their name and policy. This company allows several payout options that allow the consumer to get their funds in a safe and reliable manner. The transactions will be handle discretely and calmly in a timely manner. The company of MassMutual provides many funding options to suit the needs of their consumers which allows for a good experience. Imo it was amazingly easy to understand and receive the desired results.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

The rep was very nice and helpful. I couldn't have been happier with the experience. They answered all my questions and made sure I knew all my options front and backwards. There are plenty of options for withdrawal. They are better than others that I have dealt with. Payout options are decent enough. They give you a personal as well as a business option. So it's really a matter of what you need the money to be paid out for. There are lots of great funding options offered here. Whether you're funding a team, an organization, a business, a campaign, anything... there are great options.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I only have to take a yearly payout which is mandatory until I retire. I don't have to worry about a monthly payout.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I had all my concerns and problems answered by customer service in the 2 times that I have called. Very helpful and always very speedy. The withdrawal options are numerous and varied. I have been satisfied with the options though I have not yet made any withdrawals. Despite this, I believe it looks very diverse and useful. There are a lot of payout options, but I have not yet done into very detailed analysis. Since the service is already quite good I'm not too worried about the payout options. From what I've seen there are a lot of funding options and I think it will overall help the life of this annuity. I believe I would be satisfied if I took a much deeper look at it.

Original review: June 15, 2016

The customer service was quick to get ahold of. Seemed concerned about my situation and were very helpful from application to approval. I'd recommend MassMutual to anyone who's interested in helpful financial services. IT was fast easy and painless and I received the cash I needed in a matter of a couple of days. We told them to send 2000 a month and we received it as told. I chose to get a monthly payout and it was very easy. I had options to receive money from diverse ways like stocks and bonds but I trusted the firm to do what was most beneficial.

Original review: June 11, 2016

The customer service seemed more better towards customers who had a larger amount invested, rather than a lower amount invested. Hence, more attention towards a higher portfolio, so the customer service does not seem equal. The options seem limited due to a penalty being applied for early withdrawals. The monetary penalty defeats the purpose of using the annuity for emergency funds, even though the main idea is to save money in an annuity. The payout options seem limited, due to that a penalty is incurred for early withdrawal. However, the payout options for direct deposit, ACH, or via check are all very good options. The funding options seem limited or not entirely a fast gain. However, where the funding comes from seems more of a stable conservative, and slow safe growth, which has far less risk than the opposite.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

When you sell with MassMutual they are very professional. They have excellent and knowledgeable individuals that work in all areas of their company whether I need to discuss changing plans or if I needed to make a withdrawal. They explained the information and documents I would need to sign and explained the tax implications. They are always courteous, helpful and professional and I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I was presented many options for an annuity based on the monthly outcome at retirement, one time investment or regular investments over time. The man helped me select the one that was most affordable for me and provided a good income at retirement. I was very pleased when I purchased it. I get regular statements and they show I am on target for what is expected at my retirement. I have recommended this investment to friends and coworkers. I am very pleased and have no regrets in my decision to purchase the annuity.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

Very low monthly payment so that it will stretch out over more years. Sounded good at the beginning then I needed more but cant restructure without losing more than I care too.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I found that MassMutual was very helpful in making my decisions. I was well guided through the process and the service was well above what I expected.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

It is my only experience and I did not know much. MassMutual was very patient and helped me learn all I need. Customer support is excellent. I have no other experience with other companies, but I will not leave.

MassMutual Annuities expert review by Jim Blankenship

MassMutual has been in business for over 160 years and is a mutual company. Members and policy owners have voting rights, and participating policy owners may share in dividends.

• Goal-based planning: Mass Mutual offers a goal-based approach to financial planning with annuities. Goals include protecting finances from the unexpected, planning for long-term care, and managing income in retirement.

• Most ethical company: In 2014, MassMutual was named the World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute.

• Network of advisors: MassMutual maintains a nationwide network of financial professionals who are continually trained, especially in a needs-based financial assessment technique.

• Enhanced customer portal: Through the MassMutual customer account site, customers can view account details, make fund allocation changes, and request forms.

• Service Center: Annuity holders can contact the Annuity Service Center via toll-free number, email, or by requesting a call-back.

• Best for: Savers, savers plus income generators, retirees and Social Security recipients.

Profile picture of Jim Blankenship
    Jim Blankenship Investments and Retirement Planning Expert

Jim Blankenship is a Certified Financial Planner with over 30 years of experience in the financial services industry. He is the founder and principal of Blankenship Financial Planning, Ltd., has earned the Enrolled Agent designation and is a NAPFA-registered financial advisor. Prior to establishing his independent firm, Jim operated a successful tax preparation service and managed information technology operations for a major financial services corporation. Jim is the author of three books and a contributor to the blog, Getting Your Financial Ducks in a Row.

MassMutual Annuities Company Information