2. Finance

Hartford Life Insurance

3.9/5 (91 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Hartford Life Insurance

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Hartford Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Thank goodness have not had to use! But feel reassured with knowing we are covered for all upcoming expenses. Liked that it was laid out with different options to choose from and easy and affordable.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

There is a lot of hassle. There are better companies that have better or same benefits for less. The claims process is very troublesome. Customer service is hard to get ahold of and the wait on the phone is fifteen minutes at the minimum. They are yet to be desired.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

My mother had Hartford Life Insurance for many years and when she passed away I was the person handling her estate. Hartford Insurance paid her policy quickly and without a lot of paperwork. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: June 23, 2020

The claims analysts at The Hartford have a collective goal of denying claims. They use "peer" reviews from doctors all over the country to discredit your own doctor's choice of treatments. Of course the peer doctor will find they should close your file and deny any more benefits. Most probably give up, but fight, fight, fight - I won my appeal for my LTD pay, but like someone else mentioned they cancelled my life insurance. Don't give up, but beware they will try to scare you with calls from corporate security - it's all a big joke.

Original review: May 21, 2020

An attorney for Hartford Insurance served a comprehensive forensic psychiatric report on my employer in violation of Right to Privacy. I was also served with a copy against the specific medical recommendations of the forensic psychiatrist.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I went out on a disability through my employer years ago due to devastating ailments that run in my family. Every year, I have to submit paperwork that proves that I am still disabled. I submitted my paperwork but my doctors office made a mistake on their part of the paperwork. My doctor indicated that I could work which was a mistake. Once I brought it to my doctors attention, she changed the paperwork immediately saying I could not work. Well, this company came after me full force based on the mistake and even after my doctor made the correction that I could not work. At the time, my doctor had trainees working in the office and you know the rest!

This company cancelled my Life Insurance once they received the paperwork that was in error. I did appeal the decision and they still would not reinstate my Life Insurance that I have had for many many years. They informed me that their decision was based strictly on what my doctor stated in her portion of the paperwork. When my doctor corrected the paperwork, they still denied my claim based on lies and deceit.

This company cannot be trusted! I would advise not getting any type of insurance with them. They make up things that are not true, they assume things about your condition that they know nothing about. How can you only go on doctor notes to determine if a patient is truly disabled? Well, that’s what they did in my case. Their doctors assumed a lot but never met or examined me in person. I can prove without a doubt that I am Totally and Permanently Disabled. This company does not care about anyone. They are only concerned about their bottom line by not having to pay out insurance claims. Which is so sad because folks have worked years for these benefits!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

This company is devious and will cheat you out of your claim!!! I purchased a disability policy through my employer and the Hartford has fought my several doctors findings. I have been disabled for 14 years and because a copy company had not sent in my files for recent visits, I received a letter saying they were terminating my policy. They have the right to know every personal thing about me but I don’t have the right to any peace. I have to pay and pay doctors to send and fill out forms. Is there no end? I’ve had 13 surgeries in the last 14 years but they want me to justify it each year. What do I have to have wrong with me to prevent this constant harassment? At this point I don’t think they’ll ever leave me alone. I hate the way they do business.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We had Life Insurance on my hubby which was taken out automatically for almost 24 years before they started bothering us to double/triple our payments then to finally Terminate the Policy all together without any reimbursement? Hope they enjoy the tens of thousands that we gave them for NOTHING! CROOKS!!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

My mother worked for Burberry for 15 years. She went on LTD due to Ovarian cancer. Despite her continuous employment Hartford denied the life insurance claim after she passed. My research shows they are the worst. Ironically she had another policy with a no name company who paid out, no questions asked. Hartford has no problem collecting premiums but it ends there. I only gave them one star because I had to.

Original review: June 14, 2018

No one should trust The Hartford. The Hartford claims to provide insurance but my personal experience was the opposite of insurance: 5 years of delay and harassment by The Hartford's attorneys instead of insurance payments. I am not a litigious person but after five years, I had to get an attorney just to close my claim so I could take care of myself independently (not allowed to do that with an open claim). This is a vicious, sadistic company full of psychopaths who delight in harming people desperate for insurance they have been promised in a crisis. My extended family has decided to never purchase any Hartford insurance products because there is no insurance. It's a fraudulent claim. One star is generous.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Hartford Life Insurance Company Information