Fast Free Quotes

Hanover Auto Insurance
1.92/5

Hanover Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Hanover Auto Insurance sells auto insurance policies through local, independent agents. The company is a verified InsuraMatch carrier, so you can get a quote from Hanover and compare it to other companies by calling InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Hanover Auto Insurance offers standard and specialized car insurance coverages to residents in 28 states. It operates through a network of independent agents and brokers. Happy customers appreciate the company’s friendly customer service representatives.

PROS

• Competitive prices
  • Personalized service by local agents
  • Online access to policy details, claims processing and guides
  • Second point with more text.
  • Lifetime warranty on repairs done by their accredited repair shops

CONS

• Customer service wait times can vary
  • Some customers experience a delay in payment and billing

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Hanover Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2019

I have requested my coverage Agency respond to my inquiry regarding the outrageous premium that I am being charged. I requested/received a copy of my LexisNexis report which contained 3 entries. (1) 5 mph over speeding ticket in 2017, (2) A comprehensive claim for $282 dated 8/19/16 which I would not have made had my agent not told me that it didn't count against you, and (3) An accident (I was not the driver) from Jan 2014-over 5 years old. After speaking with LexisNexis regarding this report I inquired 3 x's if they did the scoring and was told no...these calls are recorded so I must assume that this is the truth. I have made repeated requests to my Agent for "the insurance score" and have been given the runaround and no information.

I finally found a CSR number for Hanover and made the same inquiry, but was told she can only discuss what is on my bill "not that," and "besides we don't create the insurance scores - LexisNexis does." When I requested an updated report due to my improved credit rating and 4.5 year perfect 100% payment history, my insurance rate was raised. Interesting in that this is exactly the same report as the old one. My rate was just arbitrarily raised because I asked questions? I sent an inquiry to Legacy relaying what LexisNexis said..." they don't score," and asked for information on who is scoring it then, or the phone number of someone I can discuss this situation with. No response.

I am of the opinion the insurance company is receiving unfair financial gain and basing it on some shadowy thing called an insurance score, which no one will tell me what it is and what particular information they are utilizing. For all I know it may be some information that has been reported totally in error. I have a right to know this information, and I am continuing to file a complaint with the insurance commissioner over this matter. This is legalized theft and someone should be looking over these insurance companies shoulder.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

First of all, I don't usually write reviews, but this is beyond the pale. DO NOT use this company. I have never had such a bad experience doing something as simple as cancelling an insurance policy. It seems the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing in billing department vs the other departments. Even though I clearly stated I was cancelling the policy, etc they continued to bill me for months after the date, I would get random amounts on bills in the mail-- it just basically felt like they were just making numbers up and sending out bills expecting you to pay them.

It has taken me nearly 7 months to get something as simple as a policy cancellation finalized, and I finally just paid them an amount to make them go away, as I just couldn't deal with it any more and it was not worth the headache. I never even had a claim, etc with them. I can't even imagine what kind of experience it would be with that, given something this simple was so awful. STAY AWAY!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Every year I perform a thorough search to find a more comprehensive policy and/or a better overall rate. I've had Hanover Auto Insurance for about 5 years now. By combining truck, homeowners, and umbrella policies, no other company has been able to scratch the surface of the rate or the coverage that I receive from Hanover. I save several hundred dollars annually and feel that I am well covered. Additionally, they value loyalty in their customers. This past year there was a glitch with my online bank payment for my policy causing it not to be renewed unbeknownst to me. My agent did not catch this but Hanover sent me a letter directly and allowed me to still renew my policy without interrupted coverage AND even better, they waived a late fee as a courtesy for my being a loyal customer. I would highly recommend this company (at least for someone who is claim-free with an excellent credit score!).

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Flooded basement on Friday night. Noticed it Saturday and called Hanover Insurance Company. Was called back later in the day. They left a message. I followed up Sunday morning and claim representative asked some questions and said adjuster would call Monday. Monday it was 11:30 still no call. I called adjuster and he said they don’t come onsite and local remediation company would be onsite. Later Monday remediation company came out and just did a walk around. No suggestion to immediately start a outright cleanup to prevent mold, mildew or bacteria not even dehumidifiers. Heard nothing back that day. Called Adjuster Tuesday and he has the day off.

I call claims advocate and they were helpful and at 12:30 an adjuster walked around and took pictures and said, "You don’t have sump pump." He is not sure it’s covered. He has to talk to his manager. Many phone calls later I called again and told my claim is denied. Why I was given a policy for a sump pump when I don’t have one is beyond me or why they sell it not asking if you have one. French drains and curtain drain backups are not covered. Why it took until the 4th day to tell me claim was denied is beyond me. I could have had ServPro out when I called them when I normative the flood. I will be switching insurance next month.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

They made changes to my policy, without asking, just to raise my rates. When I asked my agent to change them I was told Hanover wouldn't allow it. I tried to call Hanover myself and that is not allowed either. They will direct you back to the agent without answering any of your questions. I'm not allowed to speak to the insurance company I pay? That makes no sense. I'm done with them. Beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hanover?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My vehicle was totaled by Hanover Ins. I had the worst experience with them between them not returning phone calls and getting a reasonable settlement with them. Took me 4 months to get a check out of them and it was for less than what my vehicle was worth. I talk to three other insurance company appraisers and they all said I should have received 1000.00 more dollars. My vehicle was an older vehicle. I have a newer vehicle also insured with them so I asked them if the newer vehicle got totaled what would they offer me, they said they could tell me any amount unless it was totaled. I am not with them anymore because I think if my newer vehicle was totaled it would have been many thousands of dollars less than what book value is. This insurance company doesn't want to pay for any claims. I would have not giving any stars.

Original review: May 14, 2018

A Hanover Insurance customer hit me when I was stopped in traffic, pushing me into another car pushing that car into another car. Today has been 3 weeks! Police report and all driver accounts are consistent. Their driver admitted on scene he was the only one moving! One driver at fault. Meg/Margaret ** still has not admitted liability except for the back of my van which totaled it. Jeremy ** our car adjuster offered me over a thousand less than we could ever hope to replace our car with and I was devastated. I spent all weekend sending current cars for sale with the closest example 1400 more than they offered me. Jeremy ** then offered 400 more which just seemed terrible that he was willing to raise it after I fussed... why not before because it is the right thing to do? I told him I needed more.

I told Jeremy if he has for sale ads of my old vehicle for what he was offering that I would jump all over buying the same car w his money. What he did next blew my mind. Jeremy showed me their system of finding the value. He has to find ONE single car for sale (which they never show you the actual car) to use as the example and then rip your car's condition apart lowering the amount. They deducted for soiled carpet but never told us they were checking any of it. They took over 200 off for a rust spot. The truth is even without any deductions they were 1400 less than we deserved.

We begged for a rental just to work. Meg would NOT agree to an upgrade with enough seats for our needs/job. She made us wait until Enterprise scoured their locations and found us an 8 passenger minivan. They showed us the professionalism and respect we should have gotten from Hanover. We DO NOT want to get an attorney but every day it seems more likely. We met w an attorney who estimated 1500 more in just our car value going through him. We just wanted to replace our car that was hit by their client. No one was asking for spending money and a trip to Mexico.

I have no idea why I believe this can be settled without fighting w lawyers! Is it so hard to give back what we had? Other victims in the wreck say that Hanover had the rudest people they had ever met talking with them. They also said they were offered much less than their vehicles were worth. And to top it all off, the young guy who hit us and walked around saying how sorry he was? He had a brand new car 5 days after the accident and posted it on Facebook. We didn't even get a rental until after 2 weeks. Why is this allowed? We pay insurance so much money and yet they can treat hardworking families this way! We have traveled 240 plus miles looking for another van, missed photography jobs and work because of the fault on ONE person and Hanover doesn't care. When will something change??? If anyone had any advice we would love to hear it!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I like my agent at Hanover Auto Insurance a lot, they are in town and easy to get to. Also partnered with local banks and have friendly staff members and they are a common name that most people recognize in the community. They are quick too about getting coverage set up and cards sent out. However, their pricing could always be better - as with anything in business. Also, they could improve their contact procedures, the amount of info they mail and the amount of paper they use - lots of trees could be saved. But they are fine overall. Not perfect by any means but still a good company with competitive rates. Great as a one stop shop for all insurance needs.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've had Hanover Auto Insurance since I was 18. It was a very small company at the beginning and they have been very friendly since then. Also, they know us all. I have never had a car accident... but every time I have a question they are more than happy to answer. I wish was cheaper... but since I've had this insurance for so long I don't know any better. I'm afraid of changing base on the good service we always get. I keep renewing... Everyone in my family has this company. It started with my In laws and then they have passed to their kids... now me. I guarantee you that my kids are going to use the same insurance.

Original review: April 28, 2018

They are the best company I have ever used. Purchasing my insurance was super easy. I looked at several price comparisons through multiple websites. I was recommended to my insurance agent by my dad. I contacted my agent and I was able to get a quote for everything by email while at work. It was super fast, convenient, and affordable. Also, he was able to bundle my auto and homeowners for a substantial discount while still having some of the best coverage available. On the other hand, I dislike that they rarely contact me to check in.

Hanover Auto Insurance Company Information