Hanover Auto Insurance
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Hanover Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

39 Hanover Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have nothing good to say about Hanover Citizens insurance. I have had to beg to get my medical bills taken care of by Hanover. The car accident I was in was not my fault and yet I have been made to feel like a liar. I had surgery on my shoulder after many months of physical therapy. Hanover made me go to an appointment with a Dr. Casey **. He was not the nicest person to begin with then he wrote a report full of lies. Long story short they are refusing to pay. I'm stuck with less great credit because they took so long reviewing my claim (over three months!). These guys are just crooks. We have been with them for 15 years and this is how they treat their customers. Run and don't look back. They give insurance companies a bad name.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I was in an accident. The other party has Hanover Insurance. I was not at fault. Claims adjuster (Johnny **) claims I was fault that I didn't follow the rules of the road. According to their investigation that the other party’s not at fault, that I hit her, that they weren't going to pay for damages to my car. Had to get police report which states she was at fault for improper lane change. Still waiting a month later to get my car fixed and for them to re-reviewing the claim after sending the police report that clearly states who was at fault (not me). Very rude, ignorant adjuster. Worst insurance company to deal with and they don't return phone calls. Had to go through my insurance to deal with them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 21, 2017

In March 8,2017 I got a leak in my roof from a bad storm. I hired a licensed roofer to check it out and make the repairs needed and update anything that needs it. Come May we have 3 days of nonstop rain and I make a claim on the leak because the roofer found nothing when I called him back. I just didn't want to make the claim and had no choice. 3 weeks before anyone came out. Nice man spent 3 hours here and said he can't find where the leak is and was sending another adjuster. She came with disposition I did not care for. Here for 3 hours and said could not find the leak. Sending engineer out. 2 weeks he comes and is here 20 min and tells me I need a cricket in the valley and I insist that is not the problem. I hire the pay 4800.00 for this cricket and it rains a week later and the roof leaks again. I call my agent and he says just do another claim.

The new adjuster calls and tells me that he's not approving the claim before he even came out. The agent lets him know that I been a client for over 20 years and to come out. He comes looks and leaves and calls the next day to say he denied the claim because I never repaired the roof. He went up and saw the $4800.00 repair, I could not believe my ears. I insisted to have it writing. The upstairs of my home has ceiling falling and I continue to search for the leak.

Very rude adjusters and no matter what you tell them or what they see they are right. I even asked for a new whole team of adjusters and there are none. This used to be a great company. I don't know what happened. Everytime I asked "what do you want me to do" their reply was "I DON'T KNOW, CAN'T HELP YOU." Even though you do what they say it's not good enough. I pay $2500.00 a year for insurance. I have a beautiful home. The best part now it shows 2 claims on my report with 0 pay outs, now what do I do? Watch out everyone. Not nice people working for them.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I have now been trying to get a check from them to get my car fixed. Because their driver rear ended me. Finally after 2 weeks with no response I took the car to get fixed and paid for it myself. Now I'm struggling to get in touch with anyone without get a response. And when I do receive a response "We are still trying to verify details with our insured. Send a 10-day letter today giving them until 5/11/17 to respond. Thank you". Now I'm being told I have to wait "Another few weeks" because they are waiting on pictures from there person to see his damage. I asked them to be more precise. Because they have given me nothing but vague answers every time.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I was involved in an accident, and the driver has Hanover Insurance. Josh the Hanover rep told me if I wanted my car (2017 brand new) fixed I needed to file it on my insurance. A month later still waiting on a check; was told they would not pay for a rental car once my vehicle was repaired. I had to pay out of pocket for the repair to pick up my car from the collision center. Josh will not return my calls and when I have spoken with him he has been very rude.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hanover?

Original review: April 20, 2017

If you are a business owner and you have Hanover Insurance as your insurance company, fire them. Immediately. It's been 35 plus days since my break in. Thousands of $ worth of camera gear stolen and not one payment on my claim. And it doesn't look like it will be paid in the next 2 weeks either. Yet every day that goes by, I can't work and earn money because my gear has been stolen.

The guy has been caught and he is in jail. Yet here I am, without gear and without money to replace gear. I have filed a complaint with the State Insurance regulatory agency. They told me they still are not done investigating my claim. What is there to investigate? Guy has been caught, he's in jail and now I wait. You have also investigated me to so you know I have good credit, very little debt and now you still want to drag your feet? I am not sure what to do next... as I am at a loss. Shall I call my friends at the local news stations? Why have insurance if they refuse to pay? #Hanoverinsurance. Avoid them at ALL costs.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I've been with Hanover for several years both home and auto, never filed a claim, never had a ticket, and on one icy morning I hit ice and slid off into the ditch. Due to bumps in the ditch it caused some damage to my suv mostly cosmetic, but it was close to 4,000 worth of damage. Not even a week or two later we got a letter stating our auto insurance rates were going up 43 dollars per month, and our homeowners was going up an additional 6 dollars per month as well. Needless to say we will be switching as soon as possible.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Overcharged and no refund for overpayment! For over a year we questioned the rates from Hanover/citizens insurance. When we change things on policy the rates would go up! We were trying to save! We recently purchase a used car in 12/16 and a used in 2/17 so we gave our oldest car away and took off policy. Our rate went up $290.00? Even the representative was confused. We cover myself, my husband and our 18 yr old son. All good driving records was the first thing Geico said when I called them. Saved $1935.00 going to Geico. We also increased bodily injury. Hard to believe. Feeling stupid for not checking earlier.

So the second part of this is I paid my bill on 2/8/17 which wasn't even due til 2/24/17. 464.97 which 391.56 was for car ins. Geico so helpful on the phone switched everything on 2/24/17 and sent notice to Hanover. They agree on that date. I called to check on my refund on 3/4/17 and they tell me, we are even? I explained, that was March's payment that I no longer have! He said, "We recently had policy changes" and that was owed them now? I paid Geico my first premium in 2/24/17 for my March payment! I now will be going to the insurance commissioner! Not usually the one to make complaints but all of this is a huge injustice!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Great at charging for overpriced insurance and absolutely the worst at following through with claims. It took nearly 3 weeks for the adjuster to complete their work then they never called me and left the service provider waiting on my approval. After multiple calls to both and horrible treatment from citizens, I finally got the vehicle fixed 6 weeks later. Citizens told me I had been compensated with a rental CAR to replace my full size work pickup, so no work or boating from 1/2 the summer. 2.5 months later the 'repair' needed repairing again to the tune of $4000 and citizens refused to pay after giving the exact same level of service. Awful!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

After having $10000 in damage to my vehicle fixed, I picked it up and began to have numerous mechanical issues. I took it back in and it was diagnosed with several problems. The insurance adjuster said they would only pay for one of the several and that none of the other problems were from the accident. I had absolutely no problems with the vehicle before the accident. After stating that they would only pay for one of the several problems; he also said I would be responsible for the $240 in diagnostic fees. I was never informed of this in the beginning at all. He lied to the insurance company who believed him saying that he had told me this.

Original review: July 11, 2016

Absolute horrific claims process!!! Don't buy insurance from these guys ever! One of their insured drove through my large business sign. It's taken 6 months and the claim is still not closed!!! Stay away. Awful customer service. Horrible claims process!

Original review: June 22, 2016

I canceled my car insurance with them and replaced it with a much lower priced and better coverage with State Farm. Now after receiving all the policy canceled notices and receiving a refund of over payment I made, I'm getting "you owe us over 300 dollars from an Ohio based collections company". What!!! This company is nothing but a bunch of thieves. Looks like a letter of complaint needs to go to the Insurance commissioner regarding their interesting ways of trying to steal from people.

Original review: June 12, 2016

Hanover claims is a disaster. After an auto accident, they terminated my daughter's coverage & only paid for the cosmetic fix up & refused to pay for the damage to the mechanics of the car caused by the accident. My daughter had to pay $100 to replace cracked water pump & $1200 to repair a blown head gasket. All caused by the front end collision & the car overheating when driven to the body shop instead of being towed.

Original review: March 13, 2016

Eight months after I discontinued my auto & house policies (just because they raised my rates for absolutely no reason), I received a bill for $25.41, "to settle your outstanding balance". I responded immediately with a inquiry, noting that I'd ended my coverage last June & had - in fact - received a refund. The response was a statement of my last year's monthly payments with $25.41 added on the bottom. I (again right away) sent a response stating the statement with $25.41 simply added was NOT an adequate explanation & included my copy of their receipt of my discontinuation statement (from their office).

Within 4 days I received a demand for payment from a lawyer-owned collection agency. Are you KIDDING me? I pay them thousands of dollars over several years & they are going to ruin my credit over a $25.41 disputed (& highly questionable) charge? $25 may seem like no big deal, but to a 67 yr. old single woman, every dollar is important. Obviously, since my credit score is being threatened, I had no choice but to pay it. What a sweet racket they have, here. But, by God, I'm telling everyone I know what they did. And posting this shameful story everywhere, as well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

It seems that whoever runs the billing department at Hanover has never heard of customer service. In the past, I've been buried in premium revision notices, refused a refund of an overpayment and been double billed. The most recent action is the best example of how little Hanover thinks of its customers. I received a bill for my car insurance, I prepay the entire year and the premium is around $3,000. The payment was due on 12/31. I scheduled the electronic payment for 12/31 and could see it would arrive at Hanover on the next business day, granted, one day late.

One week later, I received a cancellation notice from Hanover demanding payment of a premium they had already received. Now I get to waste more of my time dealing with these buffoons but I have a better idea. Apparently Hanover doesn't know there are other insurance companies out there that value their customers and this type of "customer service" is all the encouragement I need to change insurers. As for customer service, there is none. To quote them, "Your agent is the best source of information about this notice." Amazing since the notice didn't come from my agent. Avoid these people like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Recommended by independent agent and so far, no problems. Billing is straightforward, monthly deductions from checking account. Discount for multiple cars and house insurance. Good supplemental insurance price.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

Overpriced. I have 2 cars and three drivers and they expect 490 a month! Just switched to Progressive and now I'm only playing 140! We haven't had an accident in over 5 years and shouldn't be treated so wrongfully. Who even pays that much for this?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

Have had for many years through the credit union to which I belong. Haven't had much interaction with them as they do not use agents & I have not had to file any claims. Have periodically checked for lower rates with different companies but find mine is in line with most other companies, if not cheaper.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

Never filed a claim so I really can't say as the only thing that is consistent is the quarterly bill -- so they bill quite well and the bill arrives promptly. I have no experience with them outside of paying their bill.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I just switched to them because they had much cheaper rates. I have not had any other contact with them so I can't speak about how good of a company they are. Review online's led me to believe that I would be satisfied with them if I needed their services

Resolution response: Oct. 18, 2015

I spoke with my agent who reached out to Hanover. A manager at Hanover contacted me later that day and I was able to make him understand the situation.

End result, if I end up paying any of the 1,200 paid in error I simply send the information to the claims adjuster and Hanover will pay it. Yay!

The rating I've given this now is because they acted fast once contacted by my agent and fully explained how it would be handled. I am still not happy with how the adjuster handled the claim but at least I feel better overall.

Hanover does need to train their adjusters to be clearer in their responses rather than basically saying it's too bad and it's my problem not theirs. It may have simply be the way it was worded and not meant the way it sounded but still they need to train them to communicate better so as not to lose long term clients.

I do NOT believe the customer is always right but by the same token, they are NOT always wrong.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I was rear ended and ended up at Urgent Care due to severe headache. The x-ray they did had them sending me by ambulance to the hospital. Long story short, everything was really okay... Mild concussion. At any rate, Hanover paid up to 2K of the bills and the ambulance and hospital billed BCBS directly who deducted and then applied the remaining to my deductible. My company has me pay the 1st 1000 and then they pay the next 2000. BCBS sends any claims that they do not pay to my company's rep who then pays the bill. Well, they ended up paying 1200 of what Hanover should have paid. I contacted the claims adjuster who took over 2 weeks to even review them and had to be reminded to do so. Bottom line... Not her/Hanover's problem. Bills were paid and they won't reimburse.

I've been with them over 16 years and only had 2 claims in that time (both not my fault). I also have homeowners with them. I know it's only 1200 in the big picture but after all of the money I have paid over the years and now they won't even work to resolve this? STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! I'm now looking for a company that cares. (I know probably not realistic but there's gotta be something way better than them!)

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

I'm going to sound like an echo here but here goes. Loyal customer for 20+ years, never had a claim, etc. My rates doubled, then tripled. I found another insurance agency that cut my rate back to a third of the Citizens' rates. My advice, run away from Citizens insurance. My husband and I noticed that Citizens Insurance was fine until Hanover took over the company. It seems that they are like a lot of 'take over' companies. Bleed all you can from the customers until there is nothing left and move on to the next take over. I'm just saying IMHO.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

Today I had to speak with a claim rep, her name was Katie **. Make a long story short, she was the worst public worker I have ever come in contact with. Rude, extremely disrespectful, very nasty, snappy attitude, yelling over the phone at me to the point I couldn't understand her that I had to hang up. I am still in shock a public worker acted like this. She really is giving the Hanover insurance company a bad name. It's too bad to have someone like that working in the public eye. Anyone dealing with Hanover insurance company, beware of the claim rep Katie **.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I was in an accident for the first time in 30 years and it was not my fault. I talked to my adjuster who did not inform me of much. He basically said to take my car where I wanted to get it fixed. Since the car is leased I chose to take it to the dealership. I was told to rent a car. I went to pick up my car from the dealership today and was informed that I needed to pay $500.00 deductible. The adjuster never told me and how would I know this especially since the accident was not my fault. The agent lied and said he gave me that information.

Seriously, why would I go to get my car without money if he gave me the information? He and his supervisor basically told me I was stupid because I didn't know that I had to pay. I sat outside the dealership looking at my car and couldn't drive it home. My agent ** didn't care. My home and auto insurance will go elsewhere now and I will tell EVERYONE about my horrible experience with HANOVER INSURANCE!!!

Original review: May 28, 2015

Scammers, they are trying to find an excuse to deny my claim. My car had the tires and rims stolen. First, the appraisal want to price as used and record rims, super difficult to deal with. DON'T GO EVER WITH THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER!!!

Original review: March 8, 2015

Car stolen in 2012. Still no payment. They are claiming fraud. So now it's insurance commission and BBB. This company is the worst.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Would not refund money or bank stop fee of 27.00. They were taking money out of my checking even though I told them to stop over 2 years ago.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

My friend totaled my vehicle and Hanover refused to pay my claim.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

No Hanover claims adjusters available on weekends, only Mon-Fri 8-5. 3rd party vendor cannot access your information so you cannot get rental vehicle on weekends without paying yourself. My vehicle was declared a total loss and first offer was insulting and used vehicles with less options as comparable, in fact deducted over 3000$ dollars off the comparable which was 3 models down from mine. This accident was 100% the fault of the other driver and accident report states this clearly. I pay for enhanced rental coverage up to 30 days and 1500 but since vehicles is totaled they are saying 7 days including Sundays when dealerships are closed is all I'm entitled to. When I spoke to voice my displeasure I was told 1 day is sufficient to find a replacement vehicle. Why do I pay for enhanced rental coverage?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

We have paid our insurance (always on time) for 30 years. I read a review which is exactly our experience. Our son left the keys in his car (yes not great), but it took a year while they ran down his character and we gave them everything they asked for (even phone records!). Finally, realized they weren't paying and got an attorney. They asked the same questions a year later, and of course our son had the phone records to figure out the timing of the evening. They now say he changed his story by minutes.

This experience has been a charade. They accused him of not being timely (he graduated and got a job that requires extensive travel), but expected him to be there on a dime, when they waited until he was out of college. He took unpaid time to be available to Hanover. He was forthright even claiming a minuscule ding on the car bumper in his claim report, when the car was totaled on all sides.

Our son paid $5,000 in fees to try and settle this with claims of Hanover saying in the deposition that, "Are you "remedial?"" He had some remediation in 2nd grade for dyslexia and this was an incredibly ignorant question designed to get under our son's skin, but he was a professional in answering. The car was buried in the ground, by a tree etc. from the report. We saw our son the next day. He had NONE of the powder or marks one would expect. Our daughter was hit by a drunk driver and it took weeks to get this off her. Not a scratch on our son as would happen had he been in the car. In addition, Hanover did NOTHING to help us recover her expenses and she had to replace a car with low mileage with a cheaper, older car with mileage - where were they then?

We were naive to think that they would pay, that we would be treated respectfully and should have had an attorney long ago. Our son paid the attorney fee in addition to paying off his car as he always does (third time and why he always gets a loan). They heard him say, "I don't like debt" and kept referring to that statement, and he kept being honest. He doesn't like debt and paid off the car and has his title, but no one asked.

What a sham this company is, and we cannot afford to continue to fight this wall of incompetence. They have won, and one wonders why people go uninsured? Finally, in the beginning the investigator in New York called me (I was out of town at a conference) and said, "If that was my son, I would stick my foot up his butt and kick him from one side to the other..." Wow, so unprofessional, and this should have been our first clue of the underhanded and shady company.

Hanover Auto Insurance Company Information