Hanover Auto Insurance
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Hanover Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Hanover Auto Insurance sells auto insurance policies through local, independent agents. The company is a verified InsuraMatch carrier, so you can get a quote from Hanover and compare it to other companies by calling InsuraMatch.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

39 Hanover Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

After being in the May 20th tornado, then getting our car totaled, the worst experience wasn't the tornado or the wreck. It was dealing with this company. Super slow on everything, never there to talk to. Made up so many excuses it was unbelievable. Apparently anyone can just become an agent at this company. It's been months since our claim and nothing. It's awful and we are so tired of it. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

We are having the worst time ever in having our claim settled. To replace the 2004 Scion xB we have been offered a sum of 4896.00 and checking all the available 2004 Scion xB vehicles within our area and extending to a 75 mile radius we were unable to find that vehicle for less than 6500 and the average price was over 7500.00. We have been without this vehicle since June 30, 2013. Today is August 18, 2013. Hanover Insurance has created a hardship situation for our family and they have not negotiated with fairness. We all have insurance so this would never happen. We are very upset.

Original review: April 15, 2012

Feb. 29, 2012, I received a letter stating my premium had been increased from $1500.00 a year for 2 cars to almost $5200.00 for a year. Thinking it must be a mistake, I contacted my agent who informed me that I was in a major accident in Oct 2011 while driving someone else's car and the Merit Board had added points to my license. I explained to her that it was not me, so she told me to call the insurance company that informed the Merit Board about the accident. I called Safety Insurance and told them I know nothing of this accident and they said they would look into It. A week later, I called Safety Insurance back and they informed me they were unable to reach the owner of the car and that I should call the Merit Board and apply for an appeal, which will cost me $50.00.

I did but in the meantime, I must continue to pay $522.00 a month. Now I found out the appeal process can take 6 to 9 months just to get a hearing date. At this point, I am so frustrated. How can an insurance company just go without your knowledge, charge you for an accident and why won't they do more to try and contact this person who has made this claim that I was driving their truck? I have my own truck and car.

Original review: March 19, 2012

My stationary vehicle was a victim of a hit and run by a Hanover client. I filed a police report and they tracked down the responsible party. Initially, I was told by Hanover that they would handle my claim directly, no need to make a claim with my insurer. Two months later, they are saying I have shared responsibility based upon a discussion with their client. The police report states that the client had no recollection of any accident taking place, despite some fresh car damage. I believe this is just a criminal negotiating ploy to avoid responsibility and pay less.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2012

I paid my yearly fee but 2 months later, they sent me a bill for $69. When I called them to ask why, they said something was listed wrong on my application and if I did not pay, my insurance would be canceled. A couple of months later, I cancelled my auto insurance with them. They were supposed to refund me $171.80. It has been 2 months and still no check. Every time I call them, it's a different story. I have called them 8 times so far, each time getting another story. JB **, my broker, has been of no help at all. Needless to say, when my insurance comes due again, they shall not be my broker.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hanover?

Original review: April 16, 2011

Hanover Insurance company received my monthly payment in full and cashed my check. I have a confirmation number stating that my bill was paid accordingly. Two weeks later, when I got back into town, I found out that my policy was cancelled. Along with this was a refund of $228.00. My check to them was $257.00 and somehow, they are billing me for another $28.00. According to Hanover agent that I spoke with, she said that although the payment had been received on time, it did not clear until Monday, the 28th. My policy was cancelled on Sunday, the 27th.

Something is very unethical about this. I am currently filing complaints with the Louisiana Department of Insurance and the State Attorney General. Not only was I cancelled, but they would also not reinstate my policy that has no claims and just one ticket in five years. When I tried to get an insurance with a new company, my premium went up to $1,100.00. Over ten years, that is $11,000.00 because of what could be a computer glitch and unethical business.

This is absolutely unacceptable. This company is stealing money and practicing unethical business. Why was my check cashed on Monday after my policy was cancelled? Apparently, the computer can cancel me after I receive a confirmation number, but it doesn't know how to process a check after there is no policy in existence. I have spoken to everyone that I know, who is insured through this deadbeat company, in order to advise them on how this company does business. I have two policy holders of Hanover--I am already changing over to USAA.

Original review: April 27, 2010

I sent mail from the government building on April 5th. I made payment with money order amount $200.00 with statement. I discovered that the MoneyGram said that they did not receive my bill cashed yet last Thursday. I paid another payment of $243.00 from MoneyGram electronic last Friday. I need to find the $200’s whereabouts’ if it’s lost or stolen by mail boxes; location from Federal building Main Street, Hartford CT 06103. We were upset and shocked because they did not receive my bill yet.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2009

I sent in a payment to Hanover to renew my policy. According to their letter, my policy will be canceled on 8/3/09 If no payment is received. I believe that they received the payment on time but was not posted, so in turn, they canceled my policy and refused to reinstate it. According to their customer service rep, it takes three days to post the payment. However, they accepted and cashed my check, stating that there will be no problem and that they will send me a refund.

I believe that since they accepted my check, my policy should be reinstated. The reason I believe they do not want to reinstate my policy is because I had two no-fault claims and the new quote I got from them is more than double my original premium - they want more money. I think that this is wrong because I believe that they received my check on time. It was an internal delay on their part why my check was not posted in time. I think that this is a wrong and unacceptable practice on the part of insurance companies in trying to gouge customers. At this moment, they have my money that they possibly will refund to me a week from now. I am in need of securing other insurance but I do not have the money to do so. I would greatly appreciate someone contacting me today to assist me with this matter.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2008 CLAIM# 14-00080784

Hanover Auto Insurance Company Information

Hanover
www.hanover.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use