2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

Hagerty sells insurance policies for classic and collector’s cars. Its highly customizable auto coverage is available nationwide, and the company offers a replacement value guarantee on all qualifying vehicles. Hagerty has no fixed mileage requirements and employs in-house parts specialists.

BOTTOM LINE

Hagerty provides specialized and customizable insurance for classic and collectible vehicles. Its coverage isn’t available for daily-use cars, but Hagerty has a wide range of premiums at rates lower than standard insurance averages.

PROS
  • No fixed mileage limits
  • In-house parts specialists
  • Guaranteed replacement value
CONS
  • Doesn’t cover everyday driving
  • Classic/collectible policy required

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Hagerty?

Hagerty is a classic and collectible vehicle insurer. Its premiums are lower than most standard auto insurance because most collector’s cars are rarely out on the road. Hagerty offers guaranteed replacement value, low annual premiums and flexible usage. Its specialized coverage includes instant new purchase, spare parts, motorcycle safety equipment and auto show medical reimbursement insurance.

Hagerty covers collectible and classic cars from 1979 and older, collector trucks and SUVs from 1996 and older, limited-edition vehicles, supercars and exotics from 1980 and after, rods and replicas, motorsports, military vehicles, retired commercial vehicles 25+ years old and classic tractors and motorcycles. Hagerty Drivers Club provides 24/7 full-service roadside assistance for collector's cars.

Hagerty also offers protection for automobilia like posters, signs, hood ornaments and license plates, as well as track day insurance with time trial, towing, storage and pollutant removal options.

How does Hagerty insurance work?

Hagerty’s agents and industry tools determine the value of your collectible car and create an agreed-value policy to guarantee you get the full value without depreciation in case of a total loss. It customizes coverage based on travel, restoration, automobilia and valuable parts and tools. You must meet specific storage requirements in order to qualify. Hagerty allows flexible usage with no fixed mileage limits.

Hagerty’s new purchase insurance provides 30 days of coverage for up to $50,000 of the value of new collectible cars. Its auto show medical coverage applies up to $10,000 if you or a family member is injured during an auto show or related function. The company covers spare parts up to $750, and if your car needs repairs or restoration, you can choose the facility — or Hagerty will pay for you to perform repairs yourself.

Hagerty auto insurance quotes and rates

Hagerty doesn’t disclose specific pricing information on its website, but it claims its insurance premiums are, on average, 36% lower than daily-driver auto insurance, with an average savings of $264. Contact a customer service representative for a customized quote.

Hagerty FAQ

How much does Hagerty track day insurance cost?
Hagerty track day insurance offers two deductible options: 10% with a $2,000 minimum and $12,000 maximum or 15% with a $3,000 minimum and $18,000 maximum. Call for a specialized quote.
Does Hagerty have classic car insurance quotes on its website?
Hagerty’s website has a very in-depth quote form that gathers details about your classic car. Once you submit the form, the company will contact you with a quote.
What’s Hagerty’s insurance cancellation policy like?
Hagerty provides cancellation options on a case-by-case basis; call a representative for more info.
Where is Hagerty car insurance available?
Hagerty’s coverage is available in all 50 states, the U.K. and Canada. Some services might be limited in some areas.

Is Hagerty insurance good?

Hagerty insures a wide range of collectible vehicles and provides highly customizable coverage. The company does have specific storage requirements, and its coverage doesn’t apply when you drive to work, school or other daily activities. Collectors might like its spare parts and automobilia coverage, as well as its in-house parts specialists. If you’re a supercar driver, Hagerty also offers flexible track day coverage to keep you protected during track events.

Hagerty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?

Original review: April 11, 2021

Back in 2012, two weeks after purchasing my classic car, a deer ran in front of me. The ensuing collision caused extensive damage. I live in New Brunswick, Canada. After contacting Hagerty, I was transferred over to an adjuster at Aviva in Ontario. I was a little distraught and she was very sympathetic and helpful. Asked me to get several estimates and send by email. Within days they gave me the go ahead to pick the shop that I was most comfortable having do the work. The one I picked wasn't the cheapest by any means but they never batted an eye, just cut the check. I'm on my third classic car and they have all been covered by Hagerty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

On Dec 8th I make a claim on my covered Windshield. It's now Dec 30th and they are still dealing with my Windshield guy. The car is a 1968 and they spit out a $600 check and closed the claim. The Windshield is $1200!!! No communication with me at all, I have to call them for the disposition of the claim. Bad Faith!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I reached out to Hagerty for a quote. They ask for premium deposits without even approving your car. I waited to speak with someone who can help. After 4 days I got someone on the line to approve my car. But you can't actually talk with underwriting. Only a csr can text message them via intranet. So you can try to convey messages through the phone and have them transcribed to someone that is interpreting your lifetime investment via text in a 60 second decision by someone gathering info via a few sentences on intranet servers.

I was told to move on down the road because of 700ho by a company that sells track insurance. They offered comp only so.... undrivable car without liability from a classic car company who thrives on driving your car without regard to mileage or risk. Absolutely disappointed. Poor service. No interest in talking to a client. No interest in more information about a car. 700ho, my the vehicle uses mostly all stock gm parts. No issue insuring a zl1. But a zl1 powered car is unacceptable. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Hagerty is the best insurance company in the industry. Customer service is top notch, pricing is cheaper than any other company and is the one I recommend if you have classic or expensive super cars that require coverage.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Hagerty in Quebec Canada is non-existent. They sell you a policy with the Hagerty name on it but it is a basic Aviva policy. If you have a claim, no one at aviva knows anything about classic cars, and when you contact Hagerty in the US they refuse to help. DO NOT use Hagerty insurance for classic cars in Canada. It is a complete scam. Don't find out the hard way like I did when I has to make a claim.

Original review: May 23, 2019

1935 Auburn caught fire burnt hood and cowl. They wanted try match it when painted 40yrs ago. All 5 bodyshops plus adjuster even said whole car need to be repainted. Adjuster said up to Hagerty. They wanted to paint only hood and cowl. Said could paint more if doesnt work which stop and start painting doesnt work. So estimate was around $20k. I got $2600 after $2500 deductible! So I cancel 5 collector car and 1 collector Motorcycle Policy! Check your policy and good look if you have a claim!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

We own a classic car for which we were paying a much higher amount with a better-known company. The quote from Hagerty was far less expensive for more comprehensive coverage. When we needed road service, Hagerty dispatched a tow truck that arrived in record time. Hagerty's dispatcher was honestly courteous (not nice-because-I-am-paid-to-be-nice) and the tow truck operator was incredibly careful, knowledgeable and gregarious. Hagerty is the gold standard for insurance companies. They have competitive pricing and terrific customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I bought a 'Vehicle Under Construction' policy to cover a truck that I was restoring. It was damaged in the process and I was told that Hagerty would basically only cover damages caused by fire or natural disaster. Collision coverage was not made available to me on the policy options that were presented to me since it was in pieces at the time you insured my truck. I thought that by this one being more expensive would cover more not less.

Hagerty Company Information