Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.8/5 (13 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Hagerty

Hagerty sells insurance policies for classic and collector’s cars. Its highly customizable auto coverage is available nationwide, and the company offers a replacement value guarantee on all qualifying vehicles. Hagerty has no fixed mileage requirements and employs in-house parts specialists.

Pros

• No fixed mileage limits
  • In-house parts specialists
  • Guaranteed replacement value

Cons

• Doesn’t cover everyday driving
  • Classic/collectible policy required

Bottom Line

Hagerty provides specialized and customizable insurance for classic and collectible vehicles. Its coverage isn’t available for daily-use cars, but Hagerty has a wide range of premiums at rates lower than standard insurance averages.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Hagerty?

Hagerty is a classic and collectible vehicle insurer. Its premiums are lower than most standard auto insurance because most collector’s cars are rarely out on the road. Hagerty offers guaranteed replacement value, low annual premiums and flexible usage. Its specialized coverage includes instant new purchase, spare parts, motorcycle safety equipment and auto show medical reimbursement insurance.

Hagerty covers collectible and classic cars from 1979 and older, collector trucks and SUVs from 1996 and older, limited-edition vehicles, supercars and exotics from 1980 and after, rods and replicas, motorsports, military vehicles, retired commercial vehicles 25+ years old and classic tractors and motorcycles. Hagerty Drivers Club provides 24/7 full-service roadside assistance for collector's cars.

Hagerty also offers protection for automobilia like posters, signs, hood ornaments and license plates, as well as track day insurance with time trial, towing, storage and pollutant removal options.

How does Hagerty insurance work?

Hagerty’s agents and industry tools determine the value of your collectible car and create an agreed-value policy to guarantee you get the full value without depreciation in case of a total loss. It customizes coverage based on travel, restoration, automobilia and valuable parts and tools. You must meet specific storage requirements in order to qualify. Hagerty allows flexible usage with no fixed mileage limits.

Hagerty’s new purchase insurance provides 30 days of coverage for up to $50,000 of the value of new collectible cars. Its auto show medical coverage applies up to $10,000 if you or a family member is injured during an auto show or related function. The company covers spare parts up to $750, and if your car needs repairs or restoration, you can choose the facility — or Hagerty will pay for you to perform repairs yourself.

Hagerty auto insurance quotes and rates

Hagerty doesn’t disclose specific pricing information on its website, but it claims its insurance premiums are, on average, 36% lower than daily-driver auto insurance, with an average savings of $264. Contact a customer service representative for a customized quote.

Hagerty FAQ

How much does Hagerty track day insurance cost?
Hagerty track day insurance offers two deductible options: 10% with a $2,000 minimum and $12,000 maximum or 15% with a $3,000 minimum and $18,000 maximum. Call for a specialized quote.
Does Hagerty have classic car insurance quotes on its website?
Hagerty’s website has a very in-depth quote form that gathers details about your classic car. Once you submit the form, the company will contact you with a quote.
What’s Hagerty’s insurance cancellation policy like?
Hagerty provides cancellation options on a case-by-case basis; call a representative for more info.
Where is Hagerty car insurance available?
Hagerty’s coverage is available in all 50 states, the U.K. and Canada. Some services might be limited in some areas.

Is Hagerty insurance good?

Hagerty insures a wide range of collectible vehicles and provides highly customizable coverage. The company does have specific storage requirements, and its coverage doesn’t apply when you drive to work, school or other daily activities. Collectors might like its spare parts and automobilia coverage, as well as its in-house parts specialists. If you’re a supercar driver, Hagerty also offers flexible track day coverage to keep you protected during track events.

Hagerty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

On 6/24/2021 My 1968 Chevelle Malibu SS Was Scratched down both sides from front to back on the transport on the way to the Colorado street rod nationals. Today is OCT 12th 2021. Hagerty still has not done anything to resolve this loss. This insurance company is the worst classic car insurer on the planet. Small Claims seem to be no problem for them but if you have a serous issues you are clearly on your own as I have discovered with my experience with them. I guess we will see what happens in court now.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I guess they have made their money. My policy was up for renewal and it had jumped to around $1,000. Seemed really high, so I shopped around and ended up with American Collectors for $600 with greater agreed values and better comprehensive options. I called Hagerty to see if they could do any better, after all I have been a customer with them for close to 10 years w/out a single claim. No can do was their response.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Have had classic car insurance with Hagerty for over 21 years. In all that time I have filed two claims, ironically for roughly the same issue. 10 years ago had an electrical fire in my TR6, Hagerty handled minus the deductible, no questions. 3 months ago I had similar issue with my 1971 Porsche 911, submitted claim, repair shop determined front wiring harness needed to be replaced. Hagerty sent adjuster, he took pictures and I tried for several months to get straight answer from my claims agent Chris. I explained my confusion since Hagerty handled same issue 10 years ago, Chris response was "well I guess you got one over on us".

Claim # is **, I just received a certified letter from Hagerty advising claim denied. Guys 21 years and not even a phone call to say, "Sorry we just can't pay this time." Totally unprofessional, I am also sure Chris has a supervisor yet no call from him either. This above all is an insurance mkt that caters to folks who care a lot about their cars and expect customer service to be a step above, I am so disappointed. I am currently getting quotes from other companies. Hagerty you totally missed the ball on this one, shame on you, Robb **.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Strange experience with Hagerty Insurance. I’m 41 with an absolute clean driving record and they would not insure me. I’ve had 1 million dollar commercial truck insurance policies and have owned two performance vehicles in the past but they determined I wasn’t experienced enough to be insured by them. They made this determination after I wasted an hour filling out the application with payment and uploaded proof of regular insurance. The site actually locked me out and I had to find an agent who tried to finish setting up the policy. The agent was then given the decision not to insure me.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Was a great company... Now I do not know think anyone works here... Tried in the morning... During day...Night...Emails...Texts... Live chat... Never once got a person... Been 12 days as of today... Been on hold over 10 hours this week alone...Nothing is worth this... Huge mistake...

Original review: April 11, 2021

Back in 2012, two weeks after purchasing my classic car, a deer ran in front of me. The ensuing collision caused extensive damage. I live in New Brunswick, Canada. After contacting Hagerty, I was transferred over to an adjuster at Aviva in Ontario. I was a little distraught and she was very sympathetic and helpful. Asked me to get several estimates and send by email. Within days they gave me the go ahead to pick the shop that I was most comfortable having do the work. The one I picked wasn't the cheapest by any means but they never batted an eye, just cut the check. I'm on my third classic car and they have all been covered by Hagerty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

On Dec 8th I make a claim on my covered Windshield. It's now Dec 30th and they are still dealing with my Windshield guy. The car is a 1968 and they spit out a $600 check and closed the claim. The Windshield is $1200!!! No communication with me at all, I have to call them for the disposition of the claim. Bad Faith!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I reached out to Hagerty for a quote. They ask for premium deposits without even approving your car. I waited to speak with someone who can help. After 4 days I got someone on the line to approve my car. But you can't actually talk with underwriting. Only a csr can text message them via intranet. So you can try to convey messages through the phone and have them transcribed to someone that is interpreting your lifetime investment via text in a 60 second decision by someone gathering info via a few sentences on intranet servers.

I was told to move on down the road because of 700ho by a company that sells track insurance. They offered comp only so.... undrivable car without liability from a classic car company who thrives on driving your car without regard to mileage or risk. Absolutely disappointed. Poor service. No interest in talking to a client. No interest in more information about a car. 700ho, my the vehicle uses mostly all stock gm parts. No issue insuring a zl1. But a zl1 powered car is unacceptable. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Hagerty is the best insurance company in the industry. Customer service is top notch, pricing is cheaper than any other company and is the one I recommend if you have classic or expensive super cars that require coverage.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Hagerty in Quebec Canada is non-existent. They sell you a policy with the Hagerty name on it but it is a basic Aviva policy. If you have a claim, no one at aviva knows anything about classic cars, and when you contact Hagerty in the US they refuse to help. DO NOT use Hagerty insurance for classic cars in Canada. It is a complete scam. Don't find out the hard way like I did when I has to make a claim.

Hagerty Company Information