1.4/5 (25 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Hagerty

Hagerty sells insurance policies for classic and collector’s cars. Its highly customizable auto coverage is available nationwide, and the company offers a replacement value guarantee on all qualifying vehicles. Hagerty has no fixed mileage requirements and employs in-house parts specialists.

Pros

• No fixed mileage limits
  • In-house parts specialists
  • Guaranteed replacement value

Cons

• Doesn’t cover everyday driving
  • Classic/collectible policy required

Bottom Line

Hagerty provides specialized and customizable insurance for classic and collectible vehicles. Its coverage isn’t available for daily-use cars, but Hagerty has a wide range of premiums at rates lower than standard insurance averages.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Hagerty?

Hagerty is a classic and collectible vehicle insurer. Its premiums are lower than most standard auto insurance because most collector’s cars are rarely out on the road. Hagerty offers guaranteed replacement value, low annual premiums and flexible usage. Its specialized coverage includes instant new purchase, spare parts, motorcycle safety equipment and auto show medical reimbursement insurance.

Hagerty covers collectible and classic cars from 1979 and older, collector trucks and SUVs from 1996 and older, limited-edition vehicles, supercars and exotics from 1980 and after, rods and replicas, motorsports, military vehicles, retired commercial vehicles 25+ years old and classic tractors and motorcycles. Hagerty Drivers Club provides 24/7 full-service roadside assistance for collector's cars.

Hagerty also offers protection for automobilia like posters, signs, hood ornaments and license plates, as well as track day insurance with time trial, towing, storage and pollutant removal options.

How does Hagerty insurance work?

Hagerty’s agents and industry tools determine the value of your collectible car and create an agreed-value policy to guarantee you get the full value without depreciation in case of a total loss. It customizes coverage based on travel, restoration, automobilia and valuable parts and tools. You must meet specific storage requirements in order to qualify. Hagerty allows flexible usage with no fixed mileage limits.

Hagerty’s new purchase insurance provides 30 days of coverage for up to $50,000 of the value of new collectible cars. Its auto show medical coverage applies up to $10,000 if you or a family member is injured during an auto show or related function. The company covers spare parts up to $750, and if your car needs repairs or restoration, you can choose the facility — or Hagerty will pay for you to perform repairs yourself.

Hagerty auto insurance quotes and rates

Hagerty doesn’t disclose specific pricing information on its website, but it claims its insurance premiums are, on average, 36% lower than daily-driver auto insurance, with an average savings of $264. Contact a customer service representative for a customized quote.

Hagerty FAQ

How much does Hagerty track day insurance cost?
Hagerty track day insurance offers two deductible options: 10% with a $2,000 minimum and $12,000 maximum or 15% with a $3,000 minimum and $18,000 maximum. Call for a specialized quote.
Does Hagerty have classic car insurance quotes on its website?
Hagerty’s website has a very in-depth quote form that gathers details about your classic car. Once you submit the form, the company will contact you with a quote.
What’s Hagerty’s insurance cancellation policy like?
Hagerty provides cancellation options on a case-by-case basis; call a representative for more info.
Where is Hagerty car insurance available?
Hagerty’s coverage is available in all 50 states, the U.K. and Canada. Some services might be limited in some areas.

Is Hagerty insurance good?

Hagerty insures a wide range of collectible vehicles and provides highly customizable coverage. The company does have specific storage requirements, and its coverage doesn’t apply when you drive to work, school or other daily activities. Collectors might like its spare parts and automobilia coverage, as well as its in-house parts specialists. If you’re a supercar driver, Hagerty also offers flexible track day coverage to keep you protected during track events.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 10, 2022

To best summarize it, I will post unresponsed emails to Hagerty. Hagerty has preferred or approved body shops. Unfortunately they either don't do the old stuff or only do restorations which will be from 40 to 50k that Hagerty won't pay for. So to take to one's own shop and it took 3 months of my own time searching I have a lowball appraisal from Hagerty adjuster that is 10k less than the body shop just starting amount. My numbers matching 1971 GTO I had to forego parts needed just to cover the paint and body and will still owe 7 grand I'm counting on Hagerty will honor.

Three months, countless calls to Hagerty shops in 150 mile radius, calls and emails not returned, I even started work on the car to try and make a shop find it less labor intensive. I was at a point of seriously considering MAACO. My car will never be the same having to use donor parts, not apply the vinyl top, the bumper on the back and more. I really feel Hagerty will make this situation whole. It's in their best interest financially. Less of a payout than the other shops. 2 weeks every day I contact, no reply. Email no reply. The part that is the worst is I was seriously in a situation this car would never be repaired! A true 1971 GTO numbers matching inside kept survivor!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 25, 2022

I was so excited to complete my car, but wanted to wait until it was insured to drive it, In April the agent quoted me a price, but I never received anything in the mail- I expected to get something like a hard copy in my mail- not just email. In May I went back to the website and figured I'd have to make a payment even though I did not receive a written quote or policy in the mail, so I paid the full amount. They wrote the policy starting in April and not yesterday in May, about a month later, but they wanted more money. If my insurance is paid in May I should not be charged for April. What kind of a scam are they running? Using their logic, if something had happened to it in April, then I could file a claim for that time even though I didn't have a policy. What kind of insurance company does that? Not for me. I'm not stupid.

Hagerty response

Hi Don, thank you for your message. We are having a hard time finding your file with the information provided. We will send a direct message to gather more information.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Made an error on my application, so even though I've been driving for 20 years and have had no accidents, have had this vehicle insured for 12 years with no incidents, it appears that because of an application error I am too high risk for Hagerty to insure. I asked for some kind of guidelines or information on if/when I could be eligible again and she didn't want to discuss it, just told me they wouldn't be interested in providing coverage at this time. As though I was speaking to a robot. Not the customer experience I would expect from a highly regarded company.

Hagerty response

Hi Jesse, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We are having a hard time finding your file to review, we will direct message you to get more information.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Staci, one of the adjusters has tons of attitude for no reason, and also never picks up her phone. Anytime I've ever called I always get her voicemail. And after two weeks of trying to reach her, she then went on vacation. They also took a month and a half to still not pay me my payment for a small fender bender that ate up so much of my time at work since I work a 9 to 5. I've spent 20 of my lunches trying to figure this out, and why my payment email wasn't being sent to me. I got 5 different agents to try to help me, and they & their managers said I should've been paid by now but the time keeps ticking and I still have not got the direct deposit email. Absolutely the WORST CLAIMS DEPARTMENT EVER. I work at State Farm, and people would be fired right, and left for this kind of nonsense! #BewareofHagertyOwners

Hagerty response

Hi James, we appreciate your feedback and we always strive for great service. We are looking into the situation and will get back to you soon.

Original review: May 13, 2022

My car was stolen. The details of my claim are within Hagerty's guidelines for total loss. I am starting to consider hiring a lawyer and pursuing a bad faith claim against Hagerty, because they are clearly trying to find any way possible to deny my valid claim.

Hagerty response

Original review: March 28, 2022

I started a claim on 3/3/22. I am rapidly approaching 1 month and they still have not finished claim. I have spoken to M** who escalated me to investigation and then C** senior supervisor and then D** her manager and I also reached out to J** which none made any attempt to fast forward and make this horrible experience better. Over a month ago left a voicemail to J** in which her voicemail was per dated Feb as out the office (nobody does work). I asked for her direct number. Was told her information can’t be given as if she doesn’t work for the company. It was no call back, no response. Just empty promises and investigation adjuster that will not return a call or answer the phone.

I call the main claim number and they just leave a msg for the adjuster. "No real help there." I have called the adjuster's immediate supervisor over and over for a month and he will not return a phone call either. I guess you really know what kind of insurance company you have until you have to use it. I wish I would have come to the tons of bad reviews about this company. If anyone could help with a phone number to someone who can hold this Company accountable.

Hagerty response

Hi Jerome, thank you for reaching out. Due to privacy we cannot speak on the claim specifics but we are finalizing items and a claims adjuster will be reaching out.

Original review: March 14, 2022

First off, I had Hagerty in the first half of the 2010s and had no issues. Returned a few years later and frankly these few years back have been like night and day-it is hard to believe how company wide I’ve had issues with quotes, claims, 3rd party tow companies as part of my roadside service (their timing was off and I missed an important medical appointment and had to reschedule), changes to my policy/profile (aka-a divorce yet my wife not removed from my policies), actually getting my driver’s license # correct in their system, them mailing items to an address I told them not to mail to, etc. It’s been a steady comedy of errors that have cost me dozens of hours of my free time over the past few years as well as on Hagerty’s side and has made me miserable over time.

I think the problem is where Hagerty currently stands in their business world. In short, they are in a niche market where they are the king of the hill in a sort of monopoly for the serious car collector. So they act like a Big Kahuna but they are actually kind of a mom and pop operation particularly when it comes to their IT Dept. and payments, payouts and claims processing in general. And I am seeing consumer feedback here and elsewhere online that validates my issues and claims.

For example, I was going to be out of the country for a while. They wanted to send me a check for a claim. I asked them to do it via an ETF to my bank account. They said they aren’t set up for that. Snail mail only, written physical check only. WTH? All insurance and financial companies do this that I have ever interacted with in the last 5-10 years. They say they are working on being able to do this soon. Sure.

Even worse is the analog claims process. They e-mailed me an incident report for an accident that I had to: (1) download, (2) print, (3) fill out by hand, (4) scan and (5) snail mail back. It was incredibly long AND I had to actually draw by hand pictures of the intersection. This all needs to be automated to be done online. These are not Luddite times.

During my claim, I was always having to help the adjuster-for example, I gave her the address of the tow lot where the car was but it sat there for weeks and she asked again and I told her again so they eventually got it I guess. Talk about being proactive about business costs. This was just one of a plethora of issues with her.

During all of these issues I tried to work with management but no one would call my overseas local # or even try through Whatsapp since I was told that Hagerty doesn’t use Whatsapp and I naturally had no US based cell service to use my local US #.. However, a quote manager did see my pleas for help via an e-mail and he did reach out to me via his personal WA account, Tom **. That was quite unlike the actual claims manager, Jeff **, who was rude instead and was threatening me in a subsequent e-mail.

At this point, I’ve run out of things to say. Well, I would say that Hagerty is not alone in crony faux capitalism America these days.. Over the past 5-10 especially, I have seen an erosion of any decent level of customer service by the new stakeholder corporations and how they deal w/their customers. Regardless, I am mentally done with Hagerty. Good riddance.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

A little background on me. I have been a pilot for American Airlines for 22 years. My FICO score is 4 numbers away from perfect at 846. I had Hagerty for over 20 years, with many cars covered. Several BMW convertibles, 69 GTO convertible, 67 Bronco, etc. In summer 2018 I moved my operation to West Virginia in anticipation of retirement, bought a 195 acre farm with a house and four barns, and another house on the Greenbrier River, right next to Snowshoe Ski resort. I had no claims with Hagerty, they paid nothing for about 20 years, then, I became familiar with West Virginia deer, hitting about three deer on my Geico covered cars. Still nothing with Hagerty.

This past summer on a beautiful Sunday afternoon I drove my classic the 10 miles to Snowshoe for lunch, and on the way back, another deer incident. This time with the Hagerty car. They gave no indication there was a problem until I tried to add a car, so a couple weeks ago I bought an almost new Land Cruiser, and an old Land Cruiser and called Hagerty to add it to the 6 other vehicles they are covering (and I have 3 under Geico) and I was told that they were cancelling my policy in March because I had too many claims. These were mainly with Geico, and were windshield claims, but if the windshield is over $500, Hagerty counts you as a high risk even if they don't pay out and it has nothing to do with them.

So....after all these years of loyal accident free ownership, after sending at least 5 people to them, they have left me stranded to fend for myself with my 6 cars, plus my latest acquisition. So....I feel I owe it to the public (since I spoke so highly of Hagerty for so many years, and convinced so many people to go with them while I was ignorant of the way they treat a person when the Deer strike) to inform you of the fact that if you have Hagerty, you had better never have a problem; on your Hagerty covered car or any other car, or they will give you the boot (unless my experience is a one off case of discrimination,) I felt as though I had been treated like a pariah; they showed me no mercy. A horrible feeling.

My opinion of them now? Well....I feel, based on my personal experience that they were brutally ruthless to me. I suppose I am a high risk danger to society in their eyes, having flown hundreds of thousands of passengers safely, flying in middle eastern conflicts for 12 years, driving a School Bus in college, a taxi; a lifetime of transporting people for hire without incident. Better hope no rocks hit your windshield. Ever. And do not cross the border into West Virginia, the most dangerous state for deer strikes.

Hagerty response

Hi Frank, we appreciate your message. Many factors are used to determine renewals for insurance. We're sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I started a claim on the 30th of December. I am rapidly approaching 1 month and they still have not finished claim. I have only spoken to adjuster once and that was two days ago. They will not return a call or answer the phone. I call the main claim number and they just leave a msg for the adjuster. "No real help there." I have called the adjusters immediate supervisor and he will not return a phone call either. I guess you really know what kind of insurance company you have until you have to use it. ):

Hagerty response

Hi Lawrence, thank you for reaching out and expressing your concerns. We have spoken to one of our Claims Managers and an adjuster will be reaching out.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I was perfecting my Rolls- Royce Silver Shadow since 2016 or so, Just had new leather and got caught in worse rain storm I have ever seen in Central Florida in early September, Stressed out but no big deal I'm covered. Called Hagerty Inspector, spent 10 minutes looking over my car and despite me telling him, fuse box was buzzing and smoke from behind dash and cluster, he wrote up an estimate for "wet carpet" in September 2021. Once I took car apart damage was extensive and several local shops said it was a total, but I am keeping my car period, so took it apart, documented all the damage, called Hagerty back and as of today. Not only have I not been paid even for the nonsense "wet carpet" damage I have not even heard back from them at all, other than to shuffle me around to two different claims agent.

You have no insurance with Hagerty, I'm lucky I never had an accident where I was at fault since 2016 as I would have found out the hard way, I have been driving my cherished classic with absolutely no insurance. Today, Dec 13, 2021 I filed a claim with Florida Dept of insurance regulation against Hagerty and Essentia Insurance. Filed a court case against Hagerty in Florida. But according to my research thus far, Hagerty is selling classic car insurance in State of Florida without reserves of any kind, it appears Essentia which underwrites Hagerty policies do not show any funds/reserves for Hagerty. Rather than wait for them to file bankruptcy and not pay for the coverage I had, I'm going after the owners as they appear to be in violation of Florida law so the corporate protection can and will be pierced. Corporate protection is available when a company is operating within the law. Hagerty is operating completely outside the law.

I will get paid, but it will consume funds I should be using to repair my Rolls, but they will pay. I gave them plenty of time. 90 days plus while I did not move forward with compliance and legal action, but criminals rarely voluntarily end their criminal enterprise. Hagerty will be forced to stop taking our money without providing coverage. Pissed off in Central Florida.

Hagerty response

Thank you for reaching out, Tim. For privacy reasons, we can't share specifics about your claim here. We see we contacted you today. If you have additional questions about your claim please contact your adjuster for assistance.

Hagerty Company Information