1.4/5 (27 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Hagerty

Hagerty sells insurance policies for classic and collector’s cars. Its highly customizable auto coverage is available nationwide, and the company offers a replacement value guarantee on all qualifying vehicles. Hagerty has no fixed mileage requirements and employs in-house parts specialists.

Pros

• No fixed mileage limits
  • In-house parts specialists
  • Guaranteed replacement value

Cons

• Doesn’t cover everyday driving
  • Classic/collectible policy required

Bottom Line

Hagerty provides specialized and customizable insurance for classic and collectible vehicles. Its coverage isn’t available for daily-use cars, but Hagerty has a wide range of premiums at rates lower than standard insurance averages.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Hagerty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hagerty?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I started a claim on the 30th of December. I am rapidly approaching 1 month and they still have not finished claim. I have only spoken to adjuster once and that was two days ago. They will not return a call or answer the phone. I call the main claim number and they just leave a msg for the adjuster. "No real help there." I have called the adjusters immediate supervisor and he will not return a phone call either. I guess you really know what kind of insurance company you have until you have to use it. ):

Hagerty response

Hi Lawrence, thank you for reaching out and expressing your concerns. We have spoken to one of our Claims Managers and an adjuster will be reaching out.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I was perfecting my Rolls- Royce Silver Shadow since 2016 or so, Just had new leather and got caught in worse rain storm I have ever seen in Central Florida in early September, Stressed out but no big deal I'm covered. Called Hagerty Inspector, spent 10 minutes looking over my car and despite me telling him, fuse box was buzzing and smoke from behind dash and cluster, he wrote up an estimate for "wet carpet" in September 2021. Once I took car apart damage was extensive and several local shops said it was a total, but I am keeping my car period, so took it apart, documented all the damage, called Hagerty back and as of today. Not only have I not been paid even for the nonsense "wet carpet" damage I have not even heard back from them at all, other than to shuffle me around to two different claims agent.

You have no insurance with Hagerty, I'm lucky I never had an accident where I was at fault since 2016 as I would have found out the hard way, I have been driving my cherished classic with absolutely no insurance. Today, Dec 13, 2021 I filed a claim with Florida Dept of insurance regulation against Hagerty and Essentia Insurance. Filed a court case against Hagerty in Florida. But according to my research thus far, Hagerty is selling classic car insurance in State of Florida without reserves of any kind, it appears Essentia which underwrites Hagerty policies do not show any funds/reserves for Hagerty. Rather than wait for them to file bankruptcy and not pay for the coverage I had, I'm going after the owners as they appear to be in violation of Florida law so the corporate protection can and will be pierced. Corporate protection is available when a company is operating within the law. Hagerty is operating completely outside the law.

I will get paid, but it will consume funds I should be using to repair my Rolls, but they will pay. I gave them plenty of time. 90 days plus while I did not move forward with compliance and legal action, but criminals rarely voluntarily end their criminal enterprise. Hagerty will be forced to stop taking our money without providing coverage. Pissed off in Central Florida.

Hagerty response

Thank you for reaching out, Tim. For privacy reasons, we can't share specifics about your claim here. We see we contacted you today. If you have additional questions about your claim please contact your adjuster for assistance.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Have contacted attorney general of the state of NJ due to Hagerty NOT paying me the total value of the car. AND they will get an adjuster to come and give you a lower ball value of the car and tell you it's in poor shape even if it's MINT! They are dishonest! The adjuster company will come and gouge their prices and inflate the costs of repairs so they give you a lower price of the car....FRAUD!!! BEWARE. They will NOT make a payout on the car of the insurance you have it for. YOU will lose!

Hagerty response

We pride ourselves on excellent service and this doesn't sound consistent with our practices. We'd like to help. Will you please contact by phone to give a little more information so we can look into your claim?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

On 6/24/2021 My 1968 Chevelle Malibu SS Was Scratched down both sides from front to back on the transport on the way to the Colorado street rod nationals. Today is OCT 12th 2021. Hagerty still has not done anything to resolve this loss. This insurance company is the worst classic car insurer on the planet. Small Claims seem to be no problem for them but if you have a serous issues you are clearly on your own as I have discovered with my experience with them. I guess we will see what happens in court now.

Hagerty response

Hello Printis. Sorry for the late response. We're just jumping in on this platform. It looks like your claim was paid and this was resolved.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I guess they have made their money. My policy was up for renewal and it had jumped to around $1,000. Seemed really high, so I shopped around and ended up with American Collectors for $600 with greater agreed values and better comprehensive options. I called Hagerty to see if they could do any better, after all I have been a customer with them for close to 10 years w/out a single claim. No can do was their response.

Hagerty response

Hi, Paul. We're just jumping in on this platform and saw your review. We appreciate your message. Many factors are used to determine the cost of an insurance policy, and we're sorry we couldn't meet your needs at this time. We hope you'll try back again, as we continuously work to improve our program and bring our members the best value.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Have had classic car insurance with Hagerty for over 21 years. In all that time I have filed two claims, ironically for roughly the same issue. 10 years ago had an electrical fire in my TR6, Hagerty handled minus the deductible, no questions. 3 months ago I had similar issue with my 1971 Porsche 911, submitted claim, repair shop determined front wiring harness needed to be replaced. Hagerty sent adjuster, he took pictures and I tried for several months to get straight answer from my claims agent Chris. I explained my confusion since Hagerty handled same issue 10 years ago, Chris response was "well I guess you got one over on us".

Claim # is **, I just received a certified letter from Hagerty advising claim denied. Guys 21 years and not even a phone call to say, "Sorry we just can't pay this time." Totally unprofessional, I am also sure Chris has a supervisor yet no call from him either. This above all is an insurance mkt that caters to folks who care a lot about their cars and expect customer service to be a step above, I am so disappointed. I am currently getting quotes from other companies. Hagerty you totally missed the ball on this one, shame on you, Robb **.

Hagerty response

Hello, Robert. Sorry for the delayed response, as we've just picked up monitoring this platform. If there's something further you'd like us to review, please let us know.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Strange experience with Hagerty Insurance. I’m 41 with an absolute clean driving record and they would not insure me. I’ve had 1 million dollar commercial truck insurance policies and have owned two performance vehicles in the past but they determined I wasn’t experienced enough to be insured by them. They made this determination after I wasted an hour filling out the application with payment and uploaded proof of regular insurance. The site actually locked me out and I had to find an agent who tried to finish setting up the policy. The agent was then given the decision not to insure me.

Hagerty response

Hi, Paul. We're just jumping in on this platform and saw your review. We appreciate your message. We are always looking for ways to improve our program and offerings to keep driving alive. Feedback like yours is how we learn and improve, and we hope you’ll check back with us in the future.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Was a great company... Now I do not know think anyone works here... Tried in the morning... During day...Night...Emails...Texts... Live chat... Never once got a person... Been 12 days as of today... Been on hold over 10 hours this week alone...Nothing is worth this... Huge mistake...

Hagerty response

Hi John - We're sorry to hear you had this issue. We did experience some phone problems earlier in the year. If you still require assistance please call our licensed sales agents at 800-922-4050 and we’ll be able to take care of you with minimal to zero hold times. Thank you for reaching out.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Back in 2012, two weeks after purchasing my classic car, a deer ran in front of me. The ensuing collision caused extensive damage. I live in New Brunswick, Canada. After contacting Hagerty, I was transferred over to an adjuster at Aviva in Ontario. I was a little distraught and she was very sympathetic and helpful. Asked me to get several estimates and send by email. Within days they gave me the go ahead to pick the shop that I was most comfortable having do the work. The one I picked wasn't the cheapest by any means but they never batted an eye, just cut the check. I'm on my third classic car and they have all been covered by Hagerty.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had 10 cars insured with their Private Cars Collection, and it was miserable. They work East Coast hours, always in meetings and you have to speak to them and there is only a few of them. They removed drivers from my policy without notifying me and when I called their response was, "Well it is, what it is." I would NOT use them if you can find any other companies to work with. Maybe if you aren't in the private collection it would be better as we didn't have complaints, as we had them for 5 years no problems and as soon as we went to the private collection it's BEEN AWFUL!!!! THE WORST!!!! WORST TEAM EVER!!!! Just to be specific.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

On Dec 8th I make a claim on my covered Windshield. It's now Dec 30th and they are still dealing with my Windshield guy. The car is a 1968 and they spit out a $600 check and closed the claim. The Windshield is $1200!!! No communication with me at all, I have to call them for the disposition of the claim. Bad Faith!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I reached out to Hagerty for a quote. They ask for premium deposits without even approving your car. I waited to speak with someone who can help. After 4 days I got someone on the line to approve my car. But you can't actually talk with underwriting. Only a csr can text message them via intranet. So you can try to convey messages through the phone and have them transcribed to someone that is interpreting your lifetime investment via text in a 60 second decision by someone gathering info via a few sentences on intranet servers.

I was told to move on down the road because of 700ho by a company that sells track insurance. They offered comp only so.... undrivable car without liability from a classic car company who thrives on driving your car without regard to mileage or risk. Absolutely disappointed. Poor service. No interest in talking to a client. No interest in more information about a car. 700ho, my the vehicle uses mostly all stock gm parts. No issue insuring a zl1. But a zl1 powered car is unacceptable. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Hagerty is the best insurance company in the industry. Customer service is top notch, pricing is cheaper than any other company and is the one I recommend if you have classic or expensive super cars that require coverage.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Hagerty in Quebec Canada is non-existent. They sell you a policy with the Hagerty name on it but it is a basic Aviva policy. If you have a claim, no one at aviva knows anything about classic cars, and when you contact Hagerty in the US they refuse to help. DO NOT use Hagerty insurance for classic cars in Canada. It is a complete scam. Don't find out the hard way like I did when I has to make a claim.

Original review: May 23, 2019

1935 Auburn caught fire burnt hood and cowl. They wanted try match it when painted 40yrs ago. All 5 bodyshops plus adjuster even said whole car need to be repainted. Adjuster said up to Hagerty. They wanted to paint only hood and cowl. Said could paint more if doesnt work which stop and start painting doesnt work. So estimate was around $20k. I got $2600 after $2500 deductible! So I cancel 5 collector car and 1 collector Motorcycle Policy! Check your policy and good look if you have a claim!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

We own a classic car for which we were paying a much higher amount with a better-known company. The quote from Hagerty was far less expensive for more comprehensive coverage. When we needed road service, Hagerty dispatched a tow truck that arrived in record time. Hagerty's dispatcher was honestly courteous (not nice-because-I-am-paid-to-be-nice) and the tow truck operator was incredibly careful, knowledgeable and gregarious. Hagerty is the gold standard for insurance companies. They have competitive pricing and terrific customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I bought a 'Vehicle Under Construction' policy to cover a truck that I was restoring. It was damaged in the process and I was told that Hagerty would basically only cover damages caused by fire or natural disaster. Collision coverage was not made available to me on the policy options that were presented to me since it was in pieces at the time you insured my truck. I thought that by this one being more expensive would cover more not less.

Hagerty Company Information