3.82/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Gerber Life Insurance

The Gerber Life Insurance Company has a mission to help families achieve financial protection and security. Gerber Life offers quality and affordable life insurance for children and adults. We offer a variety of insurance products for every stage of life and budget. Depend on Gerber Life, so your family can depend on you.

47 Gerber Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2018

I purchased the Gerber policies for both of my grandson when they were born. For the past 23 years for one and 19 years for the other I have paid the premium annually. Both grandsons have asked to have the policies surrendered. I called, and waited and waited, to speak with a person about the process...paperwork would be sent to me and I was to return the completed paperwork and a copy of my driver's license, a check would be issued in 7-10 business days. NO CHECK has been received. Again I call and wait and wait--- I am told the check was written on the 7th of March...and it would take 7-10 business days. AS of today March 28th there is still NO check.

OK--- so the other grandson wants to surrender his policy and he is over 21 so he needs to call. He tries and tries on his breaks at work and can't get through as he waits and waits. I call for him and of course I wait and wait also. Finally a person and yes we will send the paperwork to you to give to him... You got it nothing. The kicker today I receive the annual bill for the first grandson's policy that is due in JULY but the statement says due 3/01/2018 - postmarked 3/12/2018. This is the most screwed up company, mismanaged, understaffed and over advertised company I have ever dealt with. I would recommend that NO ONE purchases insurance from them.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I had a whole life insurance on my mom that was suppose to kick in after two years. I put my payment on auto pay quarterly. About 5 months to when the coverage would kick in, they suddenly said that the payment did not go through and I had no knowledge of it and my credit card denied declining it. I agreed to make the payment ASAP and they agreed but later refused and said I have to apply for reinstatement. I answered all the unending applications and sent 4 months payment in addition to the payment that I missed. They would not still reinstate it and stop picking my calls unless I call with a strange number then they would pick.

I contacted Dept of Insurance and the process was not progressing as I would want and decided to forget the policy. All the money that I paid before the two years was wasted cos they said it lost cash value because of the missed payment. Life Insurance policy is out for me; I will never go for it anymore; especially with Gerber. Maybe they are good with kid insurance but with adult insurance, Please do not have anything to do with Gerber.

Gerber Life Insurance response

We have received the concerns shared about the life insurance policy with our company and want to take this opportunity to respond.

We appreciate bringing these concerns to our attention. Our review has been completed and the case with the DOI has been closed at this time.

When premium payments presented for payment are not honored, notifications are sent to the address on file. There were three notices sent for this policy. When a policy has lapsed past the specified period, reinstatement forms are required with proof of insurability. When the forms are received, they are reviewed and processed with notification of results being sent back to the policy holder.

Gerber Life strives to provide excellent service and we are truly sorry if that was not your recent experience with us.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company does not seem to be very reliable. They make it look pretty and nice while they convince you to buy the policy. Then after that they won't answer the phone for information, and if they answer you they don't really know the answer to your questions. They leave you on hold and never answer back again. What a joke. First of all a good and serious company would never ever do such a disrespectful thing to their customers and second if they are that good they should have more workers to success the quality of customer service.

I started my policy in February 2016 the college plan for my Daughter. This policy is suppose to be paid in a period of 12 years so that means that I still have to do payments for 10 more years, but today Feb 22 of 2018 they sent me a piece of mail letting me know that I still have to pay for 11 more years? how come? Scammers. Gerber is stealing me a whole year of payments made and if I cancel the policy all I get is 1 thousand back, so that means they will keep more than half of the payments made. :) Be careful and do not make the same mistake.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

What a crock! Automated services can be such a load of horse **! When I have an issue that I want to discuss with a representative outside of the scope of the Automated services I should be able to get a real person. It's like the company is hiding something... Make a payment; NO. Change you policy; NO. Make a claim; NO. Talk to a real person; SORRY NOBODY WORKS THERE! Push seven to return back to the automated service menu to better serve you????

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My mother died June 2017 and I contacted the agent that issued my mom's life insurance policy. He stated he started a claim on my behalf. The agent provided the wrong name and address when filing the claim. I contact Gerber to correct the issue and I was told they had corrected their records. I am still receiving mail from Gerber stating they are unable to process my claim and it still has the incorrect name on the correspondence. When you call the wait time is 22 minutes. I have never experienced such incompetence with a business ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have Gerber Life’s Grow-Up plan for my daughter, which I’ve had for 21 years, and a life insurance for myself. And the value’s great considering the cost. With the one for my daughter though, after she reached 18, we’d go from $10,000 to $20,000, and it hasn’t done that. They advertised that on TV and things that I received in the mail.

When my daughter needed money for school, we were able to borrow against the policy and then pay it back, and it worked out well. We’ve done that twice, and the process is simple, there’s no delaying getting the check. It can either be paid back in full or monthly depending on what your circumstances are. And that’s a very good option. Everybody should have life insurance and I would recommend Gerber Life Insurance to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My grandmother had all of her grandchildren on an insurance policy until we made a certain age. She waited for us to graduate out of high school then she cashed them out and gave us the money to do what we had to do for graduation. I also started to apply with Gerber Life a month or two after I had my daughter. I signed up then they sent me back the paperwork to let me know what was available and what did I qualify for. I got the Grow-Up Plan and picked the $5000 to start it all off with. It was all done through mail and I didn't talk to anyone when I set it up. After a year or two, I upped it to the $10,000 value policy. I kept paying on it, making sure everything is correct, while her policy matures. I want to make sure that she can go and have money when she's ready to go to college.

I also got an Accidental Plan for myself and when I set that up, I talked to someone about everything that I needed to have and what part of my policy money will be distributed. They also told me how to set up the beneficiaries since my daughter was under the age of 18 and they were very knowledgeable about that. I love this company. Every time I have anything wrong, if I can't get it on the internet at home, they get everything I need done right then and there.

I tell my friends all the time, even my brothers, to go ahead and purchase from Gerber Life. I had one friend who just had a baby about three months ago and I told her, $3 a month is nothing for an insurance policy that her child can grow up into. By the time he graduates out of high school or need the money for college, or anything happens to her, he got something to fall back on. I also told her that she can pay for three or four months at a time and she doesn't have to pay Gerber until they are sending her a message telling her that she got a payment coming up.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

A policy is the best something that grandparents could leave behind for the kids or their grandkids. They don’t have to work as hard as I do to get a head start in life. There's no harm, hassle or medical. I have two Gerber Life policies for my grandkids and setting it up was very easy. I did the application Gerber Life sent me, sent it in then I got an email. They informed me and I started paying. I pay yearly and it's been five years now. Also, if I don’t get their reps through an email, I can always call them on the phone because they’re always available. Besides the Gerber Life Insurance, I buy everything in Gerber for my grandchildren.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I thought that getting a Grow Up plan from Gerber Life Insurance for my grandson was a good idea as the money doubles and he can collect that money if he wants when he turns 18. The application took a month and I did mostly everything online so it was easy. I've had it for four years now and I wish they would stop sending me mail asking me to enroll. They waste a lot of paper for nothing and I've already told them that.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was going to be a grandmother then and people said that Gerber Life was a good insurance plan to get, so I bought the Grow-Up plan for my grandson. He just turned seven, so I've had that policy for seven years now. I applied online for the insurance plan and I received it within a couple of weeks. You can't beat the cost of the premium and I'm perfectly satisfied. I've recommended Gerber Life to every grandmother and parent that I know.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have two Grow-Up plans from Gerber Life plans for my granddaughters. It seemed like a good investment for them. Once they are of age, it will be very beneficial to them. I trust the Gerber name, and I liked what I read when I was researching the policy and it was worth it. Also, applying for it online was fairly easy.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I am very happy to have Gerber Life. They allowed me to reinstate my grandkids. I purchased Grow Up plans for my grandkids so that if something happens to them I'd be able to bury them. The oldest policy I have with them was nearly 12 years now, while the other two was added when my other grandkids came into the world. I used to have a burial plan plus a life insurance, but I realized that I don’t need the burial plan. I’m glad to have the life insurance, so I’d keep up with the payments for security and the cost is good as well. The only thing that I regret is with my insurance on my two children. They're now in their 30's and when they were younger I didn't increase it. I should have increased theirs by the time they’re teenagers because now it costs an arm and a leg to have insurance for older people. I would recommend Gerber Life to anybody. I’ve also told my lady friends who I work with to join Gerber Life or AARP for their grandbabies.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Gerber Life's college plan looked like something to get within reason so I got one. Their application process was easy and their representatives were knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

At the time I couldn't get a regular life insurance policy but I was qualified for the Gerber accident policy plan where it’s $10 a month and $100,000 in the case of death and I took that. It was nice to know at least if it was an accident I would be taken care of. So, if I lose a hand or a foot, they'll make some payment to me. I had been thinking of getting life insurance but that was the closest. I didn't want to spend a lot and the application and payment weren't too bad. It's an automatic withdrawal of $9.59 from my account and they've been very nice because if I know I'm not going to have the funds I call a week or so in advance and they change the date for me.

However, I spend nearly $120 a year on something that never really materially helps me. I live by myself and I just wanted a little protection. Nonetheless, the policy will help to finalize my affairs, pay my debts, get me cremated if I get into an accident, which I hope I won’t. If I died by a disease, I'd have to find some other way. It's a valuable plan to have if you're concerned that you might be hurt and need the money or want to cover debt.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

A lot of times, parents don’t think until the last minute to start preparing their children's college fund and sometimes the kids can’t go to the specific college that they want to go to because the parents can’t afford it. So it's a great idea to start now when they're younger and it will be less stress on the parents as the child begins to enter college. We got the college plan for our six-year-old from Gerber and their application process was easy. Every time I call or if I have questions, somebody was always helpful and went over the application with me. They answered all the questions to their best ability and if they couldn’t help me with that sort of question, they will get me to another representative. Everyone seemed to be really nice, polite and patient.

I like Gerber's college plan. It’s a good thing to invest in and I have told all my friends that got younger kids about it. I’ve also told my cousins that they should start the plan and when they asked me what they have to do to start theirs, I gave them Gerber's number. I also like the fact that I can borrow from it when I have an emergency. I have borrowed some money and taken my son to Disney, and it was convenient to do that. I’ll pay it back when I get my taxes.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I needed a policy that would pay for my funeral and the application process with Gerber Life was fairly straightforward. I understand it doesn't pay within two years, but when I get the money back, plus 10% after two years, it'll pay the $6,000. However, I hesitated because if they ever paid $6,000, I would have already given them $2,000, but it makes sense for a funeral policy.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Gerber Life is a great insurance company to be with versus all the other ones out there. I have the Adult term for myself and the Grow-Up plan for my son for when he has to go to college. My son's insurance was the easiest to get but mine took a little longer than expected. They were checking on my background and were looking to see if I have any more policies. But, it's a great value. I can afford it and it's not over $100 each month. Plus, I've got the accidental plan with that. I will recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I was a single mom and I wanted to be sure that if something were to happen to me in my son's formative years, there would be some start for him so I bought the Gerber Grow-Up Plan. However, one thing I wasn't made aware of was that shortly before the child's 21st birthday, he will then be the owner of the policy, but not necessarily the payor. He then gets complete control over who the beneficiary is. It was not clearly explained to me in the beginning, nor did I bother to ask. But when the child turns 21, parents like myself, who have had the program for so long, forget easily what’s really going on.

I found out the hard way, through making several phone calls, that I’m no longer the policy owner even though I am paying for it. It would have been nice to have advance notice on that and if I wanted to change it, they could have advised on the necessary steps to take, which I did have to do. As it turned out, my son had turned it all back over to me. I sent in a form with my son’s and my driver’s licenses and signatures saying that he was releasing his interest and was giving it back to me. I made myself beneficiary because, obviously, I still am his mother.

Plus I was able to borrow a little bit against the whole life policy. I didn’t even know it was a whole life, I thought it was a term life so that’s how long it’s been. So now I’m back in the driver’s seat of being the owner, payor, and beneficiary but once my son gets married, I’ll change on that. I would say good things about Gerber Life to others but I would also tell them to be aware of what’s going on as far as what kind of program they're being involved in.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Gerber Life Insurance was offered to me at the hospital and I thought it was a good deal so I got their Grow-Up plan. I’ve had it for three years now. The application was easy and it didn’t take too long to process. The minimum payment for the plan was okay although I just changed it, but it was a good deal. Overall, I had a good experience.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I purchased the Adult Term policy for me and Whole Life for the kids. During the application process, I didn’t understand some of the questions when I got the forms. So, I just called and their customer service representatives helped me with them. Overall, everything’s fine.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have three Grow-Up policies with Gerber Life for my three kids. One of my kids is 18 now and I had his policy for 16 years. My daughter is about to turn 16 and I had hers since she was born and it's the same for my other daughter who just turned 12. A person came to my home and it was easy setting up the policy. He was like one, two, three, and it was it. We've owned the polices all those years and it's a great value. The price of the premium hasn't changed and I got a good deal. It’s the best thing I ever did. Thank you for a great service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I took some life insurance out for my grandchildren from Gerber Life. The advertisements were good and I could start them out. And then as they get older, if they want to, I could increase their insurance policy. The application process was simple and easy. It was also quick. So far, Gerber Life has been competent and fair with me and I would tell friends that they are a good company to use.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I got a Grow-Up plan from Gerber for my goddaughter so that I can afford and help her out when she gets older. Their application process was excellent. They talked with me and let me know what it was all about. It was wonderful because other insurance companies will give you the runaround but Gerber didn't. I also liked their pricing. I paid $11.32 a month and I can afford that. I loved my experience and I’ve been telling people about Gerber. I was talking to a girl friend of mine yesterday and she’s going to get her grandkids on it too. She also said she used to have it years ago when her kids were younger.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I got the Grow Up Plan and the College Plan from Gerber. Then recently, I got a Full Term Life policy from them and I've had it for a year now. My daughter has that kind of plan and I wanted to keep it all together. I used to have that policy with another insurance company but I left them and went to Gerber Life. I had a bit more coverage with the other company but their insurance man was harassing me with texts when I got behind for a month. Gerber's customer service reps were also more professional and their application process was real nice. The cost is a little high which is $66 a month but the lady told me that it was a good plan. Gerber's been around a long time and they got good coverage. I would recommend them, especially to people who have kids since they ought to get a plan for their child's college. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My kids got an insurance with Gerber Life and I also had Term life insurance which was purchased many years ago. I've been paying on it but I haven't heard anything and I don't know whether or not my year is up. But the application process went smoothly 'cause I've been with them for a while. I ended the service for a minute and then I reopened it so it's been easy. The reps have been able to assist me with all of my questions and answered to the best of their ability. But when I tried to get a loan on the insurance policy, the cost was high and the stipulation for me to borrow the money was very expensive. It was crazy. I didn't agree with that and that's the reason why I didn't go through with it. Other than that, it's okay. It's a good policy to start the kids having it.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

You never know what’s going to happen to your children so I purchased The Grow-Up Plan from Gerber Life. It’s nice to have when you have money saved. Filling out the application was good. I did everything when it was offered at the hospital. Now, my daughter is 20 and my son is 14. Overall, my experience with Gerber Life Insurance was good and I’ve told everybody about them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My sister passed away on August 6, 2017. She has a policy with Gerber Life Insurance Company. The family filed a claim with a original copy of the death certificate within days of her passing. We were told that a check had been sent to us on August 30th. We received no check, and then we were told that they were mailing a lost check form, so they could send a new check overnight.

Needless to say we haven't received the lost check form either. This is after verifying the mailing address on multiple occasions. Then today we are told that the check came back to them, and they resent it by overnight mail by UPS. Suspiciously they didn't have a tracking number which doesn't happen with UPS. I believe this company is running a scam on people, especially when family needs them. I am filling a complaint with the State Attorney General office in the state of Michigan. Stay away from Gerber Life Insurance Company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The name Gerber is very well respected. I've dealt with them not only in baby food, but they're in plumbing parts and toilets too. I also have a small term life policy with Gerber Life because it’s not that expensive and it fit my needs. I’ve had the life insurance close to 10 years and I'm very pleased with Gerber. The application process was really easy and they're very pleasant to deal with. I even made a loan against the policy and they made it lickety-split. I got the check in two and a half days. The value exceeds the cost which makes it well worth it. I’ll give Gerber's phone number to a friend who would ask about their life insurance.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My mom and dad wanted the $10,000 Gerber Life Plan, for the burial, so we got that. We went with Gerber since my dad loves them, he’s the one who saw that plan. The application process has been very easy and it didn’t take very long before we received the insurance plan. And it's of very good value. We just love the Gerber, it's there when you need it. I would recommend it. I wish I had kids, so I could get Gerber for them too.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Gerber has been a company that I've known and have been buying my baby food from for years. It's a good company so I decided to get the Accident Protection Insurance for me. I have had Gerber Life for so long with my grands and my great grands. I figured it will cover for when it would be needed. I always tell people to get Gerber Life Insurance. I've been recommending it for over 20 years.

Gerber Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

Gerber Life Insurance is an affiliate of the Gerber baby food company, although the two are financially independent from one another. Gerber has been providing life insurance since 1967 with a focus on children and young parents. They currently sell policies throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

• Insurance for children: They are best known for their Gerber Life Grow-Up Plan, which provides whole life insurance coverage for children. Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may apply for this policy on behalf of children between 14 days and 14 years of age.

• College savings plan: They also offer an endowment life insurance policy, which acts like a savings plan to pay for your child's college tuition while protecting you with coverage. You do not have to use it toward college expenses.

• Web-based account management: They provide access to your account and allow you to manage your policy through Gerber Life eService from any Internet-enabled device.

• Automatic payment discounts: They give up to a 10 percent discount to policyholders who set up automatic monthly payment deductions to be taken out of their bank account.

• Accident protection: They guarantee approval for applicants to their Accident Protection Insurance offering with no physical exam or medical questions. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 and 69.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Information