toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I'm a retired insurance agent and I thought that Gerber had a fine product. I bought their Grow Up plan for the child because they're a very dependable company. The application process was very good. I would definitely recommend Gerber. It's a very good value.

My brother abruptly passed away in January without any insurance and we did not want to experience that. My mom needed a policy and she was denied by different insurance companies. But Gerber Life approved her because of her age and it was reasonable. They were meticulous and did too much medical background check but their application process was real easy and faster than others. Gerber asked general questions and I helped my mom with them. In just a couple of days, she qualified. We did a direct deposit so we wouldn't have to worry about the payments and the cost is big but other places were higher. With a fixed income, $80 a month is still hard and it would help if it were a little bit lower. Overall, it's good to have peace of mind and I would tell others to go with Gerber Life.

First I only had life insurance for my son through Gerber Life. They had been very persistent in quality and affordability over the past seven years since I signed my son up. After going through some tough financial times after the death of a close family member, I decided to do some research for my own policy. I didn't want to leave such a burden on my family. I have to admit, Gerber wasn't the first on my list, but I'm so glad that I gave them a chance! Depending on your age, you can get more than $100,000 in term life coverage for as little as $13.00 a month; no physical exam needed. Just fill out the application and answer a few questions, and that's it! Then you wait for your approval letter! It's that simple.

The customer service is great. They go into full description on details about the insurance plan. They give you plenty of time to catch up on your payment and they tell you what they have to offer on different policy like the accidental insurance policy that I have on myself which is very affordable life insurance plan. I also have a plan for my 3 sons as well.

They're very helpful and knowledgeable. I've always found them to be very friendly. My son has had a policy with them for the last 12 years. I figured since they offer adult coverage as well, I should give them a try. The application process is extremely simple, and I am very pleased with their rates. I've never had an issue with Gerber. I would recommend them to anyone.

The name Gerber is very well respected. I've dealt with them not only in baby food, but they're in plumbing parts and toilets too. I also have a small term life policy with Gerber Life because it’s not that expensive and it fit my needs. I’ve had the life insurance close to 10 years and I'm very pleased with Gerber. The application process was really easy and they're very pleasant to deal with. I even made a loan against the policy and they made it lickety-split. I got the check in two and a half days. The value exceeds the cost which makes it well worth it. I’ll give Gerber's phone number to a friend who would ask about their life insurance.

My mom and dad wanted the $10,000 Gerber Life Plan, for the burial, so we got that. We went with Gerber since my dad loves them, he’s the one who saw that plan. The application process has been very easy and it didn’t take very long before we received the insurance plan. And it's of very good value. We just love the Gerber, it's there when you need it. I would recommend it. I wish I had kids, so I could get Gerber for them too.

Gerber has been a company that I've known and buying my baby food from for years. It's a good company. I have had Gerber Life for so long with my grands and my great grands so I decided to get the Accident Protection Insurance for me. I figured it will cover for when it would be needed. I always tell people to get Gerber Life Insurance. I've been recommending it for over 20 years.

I've got a $10,000 plan with Gerber Life because of direct mail advertising. I've also got a $5,000 Grow-Up Plan on my great granddaughter which was a really good deal. Considering that I'm about to turn 81, I probably won't be here by the time she is ready for college. I wanted to make sure she's taken care of. The application process has been fine. Gerber is a well-known and well respected old company, and though my interactions with their reps have been occasional, they've all been very positive. I do appreciate occasionally when I had overlooked getting the payment in that they had called.

I purchased a Life Plan from Gerber 30 years ago. It was a $10,000 term life. When my niece was born my mom thought it'd be a good idea if I had insurance. So she's the one that signed me up for it. It was a good price. The application process went smoothly, then I pay the bill every year. Every now and then the premium goes up. It was a surprise but it doesn't really matter. I can't really do anything until I'm dead anyway. Other than that, it's been good so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Gerber Life is a good choice over other insurance providers. I got a plan for a kid with them. It's important and good for my kids when they grow up. I really like everything about Gerber because they always answer me.

I got the Grow Up Plan from Gerber Life for my grandsons because the premium stays the same even after the kids turn a certain age. I got it a little over a year ago as I wanted to make sure that they were secured on my behalf in case anything ever happened to them. I got the policy for a good price at $25 a month for both of them, so I'm pretty satisfied. The Gerber name itself sells the policy and I have not looked around and try to find a cheaper one. I’ve also had policies in the past and I’ve always looked at Gerber even for my children.

However, I lost my son two months ago and that was an ordeal in itself and an expense I still have to endure. I was not prepared to take care of his arrangements as I should have wanted to without worrying about them but I can be for my grandsons. So I inquired about increasing the amount on their policy and Gerber told me that there was a time that I could do that and that time had passed. But I didn’t know that.

They also told me that I could still increase the coverage by taking out multiple policies, but I’m not in favor of doing something like that. So the only thing I can do is to let the policy stay like it is or, at some point, cancel it and get another one to insure the kids at an increased amount. The length of time doesn't matter to me as long as the policy is in place at the time that it’s needed to be used. But even though I thought it was not right for Gerber to not allow me to add on to the policy, they’re a trusted name and I know I can’t go wrong with them when it comes to children. They stand behind their name and I stand with them.

I have had this policy for my son for 17 years. Financial times are tough, so I decided to take out a loan on the policy. They received my loan request form on 4/21. Supposedly they sent a check on 4/28. I never received it, yet I receive all of my other mail with no issues. I sent an affidavit of lost check and they received it on 5/30. Supposedly they sent another check on 6/6. Well it's the 15th and I still have no check! They are keeping my money. It has been almost 2 months to get MY money. Once this is resolved I will be canceling the policy and sharing my opinion of them with everyone that I know. You do not want anything to do with them!

I usually do not complain but THIS TIME I have to. My father died so I call Gerber Life since I purchased a policy on my Dad back when he was 60 years old (23 years ago). I called and waited 4 times to be called back. 27 min; 24 min; 32 min and finally 45 min and no callback. So I called and waited 18 min to speak to a person. They wouldn't tell me anything even though I'm the policy owner. Not to mention I paid them $10K ++ since 1993 for a measly $5K policy. That is sad in and of itself. First person said I have to have my father's death certificate, makes sense, my mother's death certificate... makes sense since I made her beneficiary in the application and a copy of the cremation certificate to prove he's really deceased and he is who he is. REALLY???

So I call back today and was told, "ohhh, you don't need that (cremation cert) - you need a letter stating you're the administrator of the estate." My father has no estate. He's indigent. Someone else has always helped to take care of him as he was not able to by himself. He died with nothing. Zero. They said, "Sorry. We cannot legally release the money to you." And NOW I have to pay the state of MD a fee to APPLY to be the administrator of an ESTATE that DOES NOT exist and a policy that will only partially reimburse me for the money it has cost me to take care of his final expenses!! REALLY?? Why didn't you tell me that LAST WEEK???

I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY OR THEIR PRODUCTS. IT'S A RIP-OFF SCAM. INVEST $38 a month in a mutual fund or gold for the next 25 years and see how much cash you have in hand. Trust me - it won't be $5K. That's what they made on MY money all these years. I was foolish to buy it. Admitted. SELF INSURE, SELF INSURE, SELF INSURE. Otherwise only buy TERM insurance.

This company is a joke!! Not only do they refuse to refund my money. They illegally charged my bank account on 2/17/2017. They double charged for policies. The Accounting Department lied yesterday, 2/272017 in a recorded phone conversation that they talked to my bank about my refund and had the nerve to send me today, 2/28/2017, a bill saying payment is due. They are a scam. Thieves. Liars. And overall PATHETIC! Stealing from a parent thinking of a child's future.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We filled out application for Gerber life insurance. We were approved. But we didn't want them. There was no communications between them and us ever. Until today a woman called and we said we weren't interested!!! 3 hours later we had to go to bank and found out they just took 138.00 out of our account. When we just said no interest wow. Never told us anything, never asked about a date, nothing - they just as well of stolen it. We had no clue that anything or any businesses would steal money and it took them a minute to steal it and they said we have to put a request in to get your money back (what!!!). They are worse than horrible. I could sue... crazy Gerber life money grubbers!!!

It was very easy to sign up. It is extremely affordable with several payment options. Great customer service. I have definitely recommended this company to several friends and family members.

My Grandma set it up for me when I was little and I still have it at age 25. And it is awesome and I love it. I really really recommend it because it's really good.

Gerber Life Insurance is excellent. Adds up over the years and pay little per month. Also excellent loan rates and payback as low as one dollar a month. Highly recommend.

I started this 20 yrs. ago and it is very affordable still. I also started 2, Two children. Great!! Locked them in for their future! They send offers every so often that you can increase your coverage and that of your kids too. Great product! Start your kids early for a great price!

Expert Review

Neal FrankleLife Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.    More about Neal→

Gerber Life Insurance is an affiliate of the Gerber baby food company, although the two are financially independent from one another. Gerber has been providing life insurance since 1967 with a focus on children and young parents. They currently sell policies throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

• Insurance for children: They are best known for their Gerber Life Grow-Up Plan, which provides whole life insurance coverage for children. Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may apply for this policy on behalf of children between 14 days and 14 years of age.
  • College savings plan: They also offer an endowment life insurance policy, which acts like a savings plan to pay for your child's college tuition while protecting you with coverage. You do not have to use it toward college expenses.
  • Web-based account management: They provide access to your account and allow you to manage your policy through Gerber Life eService from any Internet-enabled device.
  • Automatic payment discounts: They give up to a 10 percent discount to policyholders who set up automatic monthly payment deductions to be taken out of their bank account.
  • Accident protection: They guarantee approval for applicants to their Accident Protection Insurance offering with no physical exam or medical questions. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 and 69.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Profile