Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
3.28/5

Gerber Life Insurance

The Gerber Life Insurance Company has a mission to help families achieve financial protection and security. Gerber Life offers quality and affordable life insurance for children and adults. We offer a variety of insurance products for every stage of life and budget. Depend on Gerber Life, so your family can depend on you.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

62 Gerber Life Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

My daughter is now 20, when I bought the policy back when she was 6 months old I was understanding that it doubled and she could cash it out for 20,000. This part is part my fault. I misunderstood and didn't research enough I guess. The policy they told me today is worth 173.00. That is what she gets 173.00 on what I paid for over 20 years. I don't write reviews but for any parent trying to do something right for your child, don't do this. It does not pay and it's a waste. I lost thousands and have nothing to give my daughter. I feel like I have been ripped off and let her down.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I bought several policies of the Grow Up Plans for my grandkids when they were born. Have paid on them for all this time, now they are reaching majority age where the policy amount doubles, and they take control of them. The kids had planned on filing claims for them at this point - now Gerber says they are not worth but a few hundred dollars instead of the thousands they should be worth.

I will be calling to get answers in the morning and then canceling the policies I can; and filing complaints with the State of Michigan (Gerber home state) and the State of Nevada (my home state) Insurance Divisions; for fraud and deceptive business practices. And any other entity I can, such as the BBB, etc.... You need to use all your avenues as a consumer to make sure these companies are held accountable for these things that are just not right. That is why I am on this website, Yelp, and others. Knowledge is key. Such a shame, all that money we thought was going towards a good thing, wasted. What a ripoff. I could use that money for other important things.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

All a person has to do to change a life insurance beneficiary is request a form as though they are the person who owns the policy and fill it out. If they have access to a demented person's ID, no problem. Trace the signature from the ID and send a copy of the ID along with the forged form and Gerber Life will honor the change in beneficiary. Also, you can set up an new policy on the person and have the fee taken out of the person's account automatically. This is what happened to my Dad who had dementia. The non-family member is walking away with $7000+. Gerber Life could prevent this by requiring a witnessed signature or a notarized signature.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I’ve tried to submit this review multiple times, and it’s never been published. I’ll try again for the sake of future victims. My mother had a 20k life ins policy with Gerber which she paid on for over 20 yrs. She had a stroke at 57 and once she entered the nursing home she was not able to pay her policy. She contacted Gerber and was told she had a disability rider on her policy. All we would need to do was send in proof of disability. Although proper paper work was sent multiple times Gerber refused to Honor the rider. Dr paperwork and social security disability paperwork they requested somehow wasn’t good enough.

My poor mother stressed over this until her death a year ago. The policy was only meant to pay funeral costs. I don’t understand how Gerber Life insurance is getting away with these fraudulent practices. I see other complaints on consumeraffairs.com that should be addressed and Gerber hasn’t responded. What’s going on? My mother paid more into this policy than would have been paid out!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought my mother a life insurance policy and I had it for 8 months and she lost her battle from metastatic colon cancer that moved to her liver. When myself and my 5 brothers and sisters went to the funeral home to make the arrangements the director/manager asked me if I wanted him to file the claim or if I wanted to do it myself and with everything I was dealing with I told him to do it. It was 2 weeks later and I called the funeral home to see if they had heard from Gerber Life yet and he said, "No. I haven't got anything in the mail yet from them." I gave it another week and called back to funeral home and again I was told the same thing. So I called Gerber Life and asked them what was going on they said they had sent papers on 3 different days and they haven't heard back.

The representative gave me the dates they sent the forms out and told me everything they needed like death certificate etc...so I got the funeral home's address and asked them to repeat to me the address they had on file and they did indeed have the funeral home home's correct address. I was aware that since the policy had not matured I would only be getting what I paid in so I ended up paying for the funeral out of my own pocket so this funeral home had nothing to gain by lying about receiving the forms from Gerber.

I believe this man who owns this funeral home. Our whole family has used their services for years and he is very reputable so when he says he hasn't received anything I believe him. I asked the rep. On the phone if they could send the forms to me and I would take them to him to fill out and I would mail them myself and they said, "No. We only send the forms to the one who filed the claim." It has been 5 months and Gerber has not tried to contact me about my policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Original review: April 8, 2019

I applied for my four children two months ago. Three out of the four were approved after a month and I have received four phone calls requesting a payment to get coverage started. I told them all four times that I will not make a payment until I know if the fourth child will be approved as I want to make a bulk payment for all four.

Two months later, a total of eight phone calls (between them calling me and me calling them), also nine emails from them requesting a payment. Here I am with no more information than I had a month ago. Three children approved, the fourth still they claim to not know what's going on. TWO MONTHS OF WAITING. Anything can happen in that period of time. I am seriously going somewhere else. Getting tired of waiting and if it is taking this long it makes me wonder what kind of experiences I may have in the future with this company and if it's worth the headache...

Original review: March 26, 2019

Won’t carry a child that’s Type1 Diabetic even though their A1C level is perfect the entire time. They have you get all of this stuff together to just waste your time knowing that they aren’t going to cover in the first place. When you call them out on it they say they can’t tell you and the reasoning has to go to your doctor then they ask who your doctor is after I submitted countless doctor records. Hello! I’m the Mother and guardian, I think you can give me your Lame and unwarranted excuse, many we know will not sign up now and a few are canceling as well as future children in our family will not even consider them, that takes wonderful people who will stand up for your child in what’s right and what’s wrong, very immoral company when all I wanted to do was protect her in case something ever happened to me and she had trouble getting herself insurance.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I filed a complaint with the Oklahoma state attorneys general office against Gerber for hacking into my savings account and I don’t even have an account with Gerber. Contacting Gerber administration was with negative results only to be passed onto other phone lines. If you are having problems with theft of accounts please contact OKLAHOMA STATE ATTORNEYS GENERAL OFFICE, State of Oklahoma, 313 N.E. 21st, OKC, OK 73105, case number **. I also filed with Social Security OIG, FOR MEDICARE/MEDICAID fraud. Gerber has refused to discuss the hacking of banking account. Gerber admitted it was for Medicaid supplement payments. Even though I don’t have any accounts with them. Good luck guys and let’s put a stop to this type of fraudulent actions going on.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My experience with Gerber Life has always been positive, they have been quick to take care of any problem I've had and to work with me to keep my policy active if I had any financial difficulties. I would and do recommend them to anyone I know looking for a reliable life insurance company. You have a wonderful and reliable company Gerber.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought 3 policies, one for me, my wife and grand-daughter. When calling to inquire - they answer the phone right away and can quickly process your 'new sale'. However, later I found a better deal (name withheld so not to appear to be a plug for another company) and called to cancel. First attempt and getting to 'press X to cancel your policy' was met with 'we're unable to take your call at this time, please try again later'. So I emailed them and got the cancellation forms and faxed them to the number indicated. Still nothing, so I finally emailed the same form. They just today refunded the cheapest one for grand-daughter but the 2 more expensive policies are not only NOT refunded yet - but they've hit my bank twice on 2 premiums on one of the policies. I'm currently 'on hold' and it has been 47 minutes and still waiting. Good luck to anyone that chooses them.

Gerber Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

Gerber Life Insurance is an affiliate of the Gerber baby food company, although the two are financially independent from one another. Gerber has been providing life insurance since 1967 with a focus on children and young parents. They currently sell policies throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

• Insurance for children: They are best known for their Gerber Life Grow-Up Plan, which provides whole life insurance coverage for children. Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may apply for this policy on behalf of children between 14 days and 14 years of age.

• College savings plan: They also offer an endowment life insurance policy, which acts like a savings plan to pay for your child's college tuition while protecting you with coverage. You do not have to use it toward college expenses.

• Web-based account management: They provide access to your account and allow you to manage your policy through Gerber Life eService from any Internet-enabled device.

• Automatic payment discounts: They give up to a 10 percent discount to policyholders who set up automatic monthly payment deductions to be taken out of their bank account.

• Accident protection: They guarantee approval for applicants to their Accident Protection Insurance offering with no physical exam or medical questions. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 and 69.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Information