Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.66/5

The Gerber Life Insurance Company has a mission to help families achieve financial protection and security. Gerber Life offers quality and affordable life insurance for children and adults. We offer a variety of insurance products for every stage of life and budget. Depend on Gerber Life, so your family can depend on you.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

Gerber Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I am disheartened reading all these complaints here and many other places. My wife and I purchased the $20,000.00 Grow Up Plan for our son back when he was about 4 years old. Today he is 19 1/2 and going to college. My wife has been trying to deal with Gerber the last few weeks and only gets very spiteful, argumentative customer service people (manager even), and basically tell us, we have not paid enough into the plan and would only receive a few hundred dollars if we canceled the policy now! What the hell she said!

We were told way back then from Gerber the policy amount we started ($20K) would double at age 18 (to $40K), and that we could use that money for college for him at that time. Nothing of the sort. We have been diligently making bi-monthly payments on the $20K Gerber plan since October 2004, and have all the original docs, brochures, etc. They now tell us "we no longer have those docs or that plan available"...

There needs to be a Federal Insurance fraud investigation going on here. This is the problem with Insurance Industry & their Lobbyists and Government today, and has to stop, as they are committing fraudulent acts against millions of US citizens who trust & believe what they are given by Gerber, only to be told years later, "we no longer have that plan active"...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Please don't waste your time like I did. I thought choosing Gerber Life Grow-Up was the right thing for my kids. Turns out it was the worst decision made. Gerber life is a rip off. Take my advice and go elsewhere!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

"Grow Up Protection Plan," We too have tried to cash-out this ridiculous insurance policy that was taken out for each kid by a grandparent. Tried doing it on the phone. Customer NO Service Promised I would receive a form. Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Established an e-profile online but no way to execute the cancellation and cash-out online. I never write reviews but PLEASE don't invest $1 with Gerber Insurance. Although a separate entity from Gerber baby foods, a Nestle Company, Nestle makes money licensing its name to this insurance company of crooks. Don't buy Nestle products and go on Nestle's website to let them know why.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

No live person to communicate with. Been trying to cancel my policies for past year. It's like talking to a wall or a person who speaks different language.. I even send it certified mail. I have proof that they received it and still they did a half a job.. worst customer service!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I'm very ill, waiting and praying and hoping for a liver transplant. On July 20 I called Gerber requesting only 200.00 out of the amount I have. My families & doctors are trying to help me financially. I was in coma for 3 days just recently. I have called Gerber 3 times, three different agents promised me to send me a form. On August 20 rec the form, today I called and they said just received the form and maybe will take 7 days. Gerber is not human, customer service is the worst. They have no respect or sympathy or caring, they don't care about their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

My daughter is now 20, when I bought the policy back when she was 6 months old I was understanding that it doubled and she could cash it out for 20,000. This part is part my fault. I misunderstood and didn't research enough I guess. The policy they told me today is worth 173.00. That is what she gets 173.00 on what I paid for over 20 years. I don't write reviews but for any parent trying to do something right for your child, don't do this. It does not pay and it's a waste. I lost thousands and have nothing to give my daughter. I feel like I have been ripped off and let her down.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I bought several policies of the Grow Up Plans for my grandkids when they were born. Have paid on them for all this time, now they are reaching majority age where the policy amount doubles, and they take control of them. The kids had planned on filing claims for them at this point - now Gerber says they are not worth but a few hundred dollars instead of the thousands they should be worth.

I will be calling to get answers in the morning and then canceling the policies I can; and filing complaints with the State of Michigan (Gerber home state) and the State of Nevada (my home state) Insurance Divisions; for fraud and deceptive business practices. And any other entity I can, such as the BBB, etc.... You need to use all your avenues as a consumer to make sure these companies are held accountable for these things that are just not right. That is why I am on this website, Yelp, and others. Knowledge is key. Such a shame, all that money we thought was going towards a good thing, wasted. What a ripoff. I could use that money for other important things.

Original review: May 8, 2019

All a person has to do to change a life insurance beneficiary is request a form as though they are the person who owns the policy and fill it out. If they have access to a demented person's ID, no problem. Trace the signature from the ID and send a copy of the ID along with the forged form and Gerber Life will honor the change in beneficiary. Also, you can set up an new policy on the person and have the fee taken out of the person's account automatically. This is what happened to my Dad who had dementia. The non-family member is walking away with $7000+. Gerber Life could prevent this by requiring a witnessed signature or a notarized signature.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I’ve tried to submit this review multiple times, and it’s never been published. I’ll try again for the sake of future victims. My mother had a 20k life ins policy with Gerber which she paid on for over 20 yrs. She had a stroke at 57 and once she entered the nursing home she was not able to pay her policy. She contacted Gerber and was told she had a disability rider on her policy. All we would need to do was send in proof of disability. Although proper paper work was sent multiple times Gerber refused to Honor the rider. Dr paperwork and social security disability paperwork they requested somehow wasn’t good enough.

My poor mother stressed over this until her death a year ago. The policy was only meant to pay funeral costs. I don’t understand how Gerber Life insurance is getting away with these fraudulent practices. I see other complaints on consumeraffairs.com that should be addressed and Gerber hasn’t responded. What’s going on? My mother paid more into this policy than would have been paid out!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought my mother a life insurance policy and I had it for 8 months and she lost her battle from metastatic colon cancer that moved to her liver. When myself and my 5 brothers and sisters went to the funeral home to make the arrangements the director/manager asked me if I wanted him to file the claim or if I wanted to do it myself and with everything I was dealing with I told him to do it. It was 2 weeks later and I called the funeral home to see if they had heard from Gerber Life yet and he said, "No. I haven't got anything in the mail yet from them." I gave it another week and called back to funeral home and again I was told the same thing. So I called Gerber Life and asked them what was going on they said they had sent papers on 3 different days and they haven't heard back.

The representative gave me the dates they sent the forms out and told me everything they needed like death certificate etc...so I got the funeral home's address and asked them to repeat to me the address they had on file and they did indeed have the funeral home home's correct address. I was aware that since the policy had not matured I would only be getting what I paid in so I ended up paying for the funeral out of my own pocket so this funeral home had nothing to gain by lying about receiving the forms from Gerber.

I believe this man who owns this funeral home. Our whole family has used their services for years and he is very reputable so when he says he hasn't received anything I believe him. I asked the rep. On the phone if they could send the forms to me and I would take them to him to fill out and I would mail them myself and they said, "No. We only send the forms to the one who filed the claim." It has been 5 months and Gerber has not tried to contact me about my policy.

Gerber Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

Gerber Life Insurance is an affiliate of the Gerber baby food company, although the two are financially independent from one another. Gerber has been providing life insurance since 1967 with a focus on children and young parents. They currently sell policies throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

• Insurance for children: They are best known for their Gerber Life Grow-Up Plan, which provides whole life insurance coverage for children. Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may apply for this policy on behalf of children between 14 days and 14 years of age.

• College savings plan: They also offer an endowment life insurance policy, which acts like a savings plan to pay for your child's college tuition while protecting you with coverage. You do not have to use it toward college expenses.

• Web-based account management: They provide access to your account and allow you to manage your policy through Gerber Life eService from any Internet-enabled device.

• Automatic payment discounts: They give up to a 10 percent discount to policyholders who set up automatic monthly payment deductions to be taken out of their bank account.

• Accident protection: They guarantee approval for applicants to their Accident Protection Insurance offering with no physical exam or medical questions. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 and 69.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Information