2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

The Gerber Life Insurance Company has a mission to help families achieve financial protection and security. Gerber Life offers quality and affordable life insurance for children and adults. We offer a variety of insurance products for every stage of life and budget. Depend on Gerber Life, so your family can depend on you.

Gerber Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2020

I signed my two children up for Grow-Up plans when they were tiny. My oldest is now an adult. I've paid on these plans for all these years, and what I've found is this company is either utterly incompetent or they're running a scam. I've signed up for auto-pay probably a dozen times, and I've signed up for paperless billing as often. A 'while I'm in here' sort of thing.

Auto-pay works for a while, then I'll get a letter telling me they've auto-opened a loan to cover my premiums because of missed payments. So I go through the process again, entering the same payment information. Then anywhere from a few months to a couple of years, and auto-pay stops again. It happened this week. I went into the system today, clicked to pay my past due balance, and the payment information on file is still good. I'm not entering anything new, just again setting up auto-pay. There's no set time for when it will run, and it doesn't fail on any schedule. I think the last time this happened was about 6 months ago. And just over a year the time before that.

While in the system today, as I always do, I tried again to sign up for paperless billing. Usually it tells me I've successfully completed the process, but the letters just keep coming in the mail. I'll log in, and it will show I'm signed up for paper billing. This time, I select paperless, open the new email to confirm, click the link, and their website opens to an error message; It can't complete the process. At least it told me this time. I've never received a paperless bill. Even when I sign up over the phone, and their rep tells me they've signed me up for paperless, they just keep coming in the mail.

Considering the website is barely functional, the payment practices are extremely questionable, and the company can't seem to figure out something so simple as paperless billing, I have serious concerns about how my and my children's information is secured, and what I can expect if tragedy leads to me needing to submit a policy claim. Based on other reviews, I'm not optimistic.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I had a policy 27 years. In that time my son had gotten diabetes. Type 1. I was sick for a few months, so when I tried to reinstate they gave me a runaround for MONTHS. They discriminate, doesnt matter if your diabetes is controlled or if you're young or if you've had the policy for decades. No reinstatement!!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2020

I have been trying to cancel 2 kids' policies for the past month. They keep refusing to cancel them saying they can not accept it and telling me my policies are about to lapse because of nonpayment. But I have sent in the proper paperwork and information several times! I found a better company to go with that can give me the same amount of coverage for half the price for my kids!

Original review: April 4, 2020

What can I say? Been going over my checking statement, found multiple charges from Gerber Life on it, I call it, thievery. Taking money like that is underhanded. If I did that, I would probably go to jail. So, what makes it okay for them to do this!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I recently paid on my kids policy and tried to start a policy for myself and then end up taking way more money out my account than they should have. Then when I confronted them about it they kept giving me excuses. So I canceled mines and the kids policy. They release money back on to my card then told me my other payment had to be sent out in a check which they mailed to the wrong address when I updated my address with them. And now I gotta go through all these hoops to get my money back that they had no problem taking out of my acct.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My mother died in October 2019. Here it is almost 4 months after her death and Gerber has yet to pay my mother's life insurance claim out. It started with this "investigation" despite the company being supplied with all of the information that they have requested. My mother had a Gerber policy on herself and grandchildren for YEARS. She had to retire due to her health and because there was no income, her policies lapsed. However, she reinstated them within 6 months of them lapsing. Now, Gerber claims that since she died during their contestability period, they need to investigate. Investigate what exactly? Her cause of death is on her death certificate (which was supplied to them back in October).

I have made phone call after phone call and I speak with someone different each time and receive different answers from each representative that I call. They will not allow you to speak to the claims specialist that is handling the case directly. They put you on hold and possibly feign to contact them. I can only assume that this is what is happening because there is no other explanation for this nonsense. First they were blaming the hospitals and physicians for not responding to their requests for medical records. I asked who they were attempting to contact and I reached out to them myself. All parties ensured that they complied; even gave me dates that the information was submitted.

Just recently, I received another letter in the mail asking for more information because one particular hospital needed their own HIPPA form; those that I'd signed prior apparently were not good enough. I mailed that request on January 21st. The brother, who is the other beneficiary, gets the same letter about a week later. I called and spoke to a representative named Pam on January 31, 2020. She assured me that since my brother signed the original documents as a witness, he DID NOT need to submit the paperwork. Well, the reason why I am submitting this complaint today? I received a letter in the mail that is addressed to my brother (he doesn't live with me by the way and Gerber knows this and has his address on multiple documents) asking for another signature for the same paperwork that he, according to Pam, did not need to resubmit because I'd already done it. I am completely fed up.

When my mother died, the policies that she had on her grandchildren transferred over to my brother and myself. I WILL NOT be providing Gerber with another dime if this is how they handle affairs. Universe forbid that something did happen to one of my children and I have to endure this from a company that clearly has no integrity or cares about the fact that families have lost loved ones and the grieving period is not a time to play games. Their business practices and lack of empathy have left me irritated and appalled. I never write reviews like this but after four months of being misled and deceived, this review was warranted.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I am disheartened reading all these complaints here and many other places. My wife and I purchased the $20,000.00 Grow Up Plan for our son back when he was about 4 years old. Today he is 19 1/2 and going to college. My wife has been trying to deal with Gerber the last few weeks and only gets very spiteful, argumentative customer service people (manager even), and basically tell us, we have not paid enough into the plan and would only receive a few hundred dollars if we canceled the policy now! What the hell she said!

We were told way back then from Gerber the policy amount we started ($20K) would double at age 18 (to $40K), and that we could use that money for college for him at that time. Nothing of the sort. We have been diligently making bi-monthly payments on the $20K Gerber plan since October 2004, and have all the original docs, brochures, etc. They now tell us "we no longer have those docs or that plan available"...

There needs to be a Federal Insurance fraud investigation going on here. This is the problem with Insurance Industry & their Lobbyists and Government today, and has to stop, as they are committing fraudulent acts against millions of US citizens who trust & believe what they are given by Gerber, only to be told years later, "we no longer have that plan active"...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Please don't waste your time like I did. I thought choosing Gerber Life Grow-Up was the right thing for my kids. Turns out it was the worst decision made. Gerber life is a rip off. Take my advice and go elsewhere!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

"Grow Up Protection Plan," We too have tried to cash-out this ridiculous insurance policy that was taken out for each kid by a grandparent. Tried doing it on the phone. Customer NO Service Promised I would receive a form. Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Established an e-profile online but no way to execute the cancellation and cash-out online. I never write reviews but PLEASE don't invest $1 with Gerber Insurance. Although a separate entity from Gerber baby foods, a Nestle Company, Nestle makes money licensing its name to this insurance company of crooks. Don't buy Nestle products and go on Nestle's website to let them know why.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

No live person to communicate with. Been trying to cancel my policies for past year. It's like talking to a wall or a person who speaks different language.. I even send it certified mail. I have proof that they received it and still they did a half a job.. worst customer service!!

Gerber Life Insurance author review by Neal Frankle

Gerber Life Insurance is an affiliate of the Gerber baby food company, although the two are financially independent from one another. Gerber has been providing life insurance since 1967 with a focus on children and young parents. They currently sell policies throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

• Insurance for children: They are best known for their Gerber Life Grow-Up Plan, which provides whole life insurance coverage for children. Parents, grandparents and legal guardians may apply for this policy on behalf of children between 14 days and 14 years of age.

• College savings plan: They also offer an endowment life insurance policy, which acts like a savings plan to pay for your child's college tuition while protecting you with coverage. You do not have to use it toward college expenses.

• Web-based account management: They provide access to your account and allow you to manage your policy through Gerber Life eService from any Internet-enabled device.

• Automatic payment discounts: They give up to a 10 percent discount to policyholders who set up automatic monthly payment deductions to be taken out of their bank account.

• Accident protection: They guarantee approval for applicants to their Accident Protection Insurance offering with no physical exam or medical questions. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 and 69.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Information