4.0/5 (169 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Gerber Life Insurance

The Gerber Life Insurance Company has a mission to help families achieve financial protection and security. Gerber Life offers quality and affordable life insurance for children and adults. We offer a variety of insurance products for every stage of life and budget. Depend on Gerber Life, so your family can depend on you.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Gerber Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber Life Insurance?

Original review: April 4, 2020

What can I say? Been going over my checking statement, found multiple charges from Gerber Life on it, I call it, thievery. Taking money like that is underhanded. If I did that, I would probably go to jail. So, what makes it okay for them to do this!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I recently paid on my kids policy and tried to start a policy for myself and then end up taking way more money out my account than they should have. Then when I confronted them about it they kept giving me excuses. So I canceled mines and the kids policy. They release money back on to my card then told me my other payment had to be sent out in a check which they mailed to the wrong address when I updated my address with them. And now I gotta go through all these hoops to get my money back that they had no problem taking out of my acct.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My mother died in October 2019. Here it is almost 4 months after her death and Gerber has yet to pay my mother's life insurance claim out. It started with this "investigation" despite the company being supplied with all of the information that they have requested. My mother had a Gerber policy on herself and grandchildren for YEARS. She had to retire due to her health and because there was no income, her policies lapsed. However, she reinstated them within 6 months of them lapsing. Now, Gerber claims that since she died during their contestability period, they need to investigate. Investigate what exactly? Her cause of death is on her death certificate (which was supplied to them back in October).

I have made phone call after phone call and I speak with someone different each time and receive different answers from each representative that I call. They will not allow you to speak to the claims specialist that is handling the case directly. They put you on hold and possibly feign to contact them. I can only assume that this is what is happening because there is no other explanation for this nonsense. First they were blaming the hospitals and physicians for not responding to their requests for medical records. I asked who they were attempting to contact and I reached out to them myself. All parties ensured that they complied; even gave me dates that the information was submitted.

Just recently, I received another letter in the mail asking for more information because one particular hospital needed their own HIPPA form; those that I'd signed prior apparently were not good enough. I mailed that request on January 21st. The brother, who is the other beneficiary, gets the same letter about a week later. I called and spoke to a representative named Pam on January 31, 2020. She assured me that since my brother signed the original documents as a witness, he DID NOT need to submit the paperwork. Well, the reason why I am submitting this complaint today? I received a letter in the mail that is addressed to my brother (he doesn't live with me by the way and Gerber knows this and has his address on multiple documents) asking for another signature for the same paperwork that he, according to Pam, did not need to resubmit because I'd already done it. I am completely fed up.

When my mother died, the policies that she had on her grandchildren transferred over to my brother and myself. I WILL NOT be providing Gerber with another dime if this is how they handle affairs. Universe forbid that something did happen to one of my children and I have to endure this from a company that clearly has no integrity or cares about the fact that families have lost loved ones and the grieving period is not a time to play games. Their business practices and lack of empathy have left me irritated and appalled. I never write reviews like this but after four months of being misled and deceived, this review was warranted.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I am disheartened reading all these complaints here and many other places. My wife and I purchased the $20,000.00 Grow Up Plan for our son back when he was about 4 years old. Today he is 19 1/2 and going to college. My wife has been trying to deal with Gerber the last few weeks and only gets very spiteful, argumentative customer service people (manager even), and basically tell us, we have not paid enough into the plan and would only receive a few hundred dollars if we canceled the policy now! What the hell she said!

We were told way back then from Gerber the policy amount we started ($20K) would double at age 18 (to $40K), and that we could use that money for college for him at that time. Nothing of the sort. We have been diligently making bi-monthly payments on the $20K Gerber plan since October 2004, and have all the original docs, brochures, etc. They now tell us "we no longer have those docs or that plan available"...

There needs to be a Federal Insurance fraud investigation going on here. This is the problem with Insurance Industry & their Lobbyists and Government today, and has to stop, as they are committing fraudulent acts against millions of US citizens who trust & believe what they are given by Gerber, only to be told years later, "we no longer have that plan active"...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Please don't waste your time like I did. I thought choosing Gerber Life Grow-Up was the right thing for my kids. Turns out it was the worst decision made. Gerber life is a rip off. Take my advice and go elsewhere!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

"Grow Up Protection Plan," We too have tried to cash-out this ridiculous insurance policy that was taken out for each kid by a grandparent. Tried doing it on the phone. Customer NO Service Promised I would receive a form. Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Established an e-profile online but no way to execute the cancellation and cash-out online. I never write reviews but PLEASE don't invest $1 with Gerber Insurance. Although a separate entity from Gerber baby foods, a Nestle Company, Nestle makes money licensing its name to this insurance company of crooks. Don't buy Nestle products and go on Nestle's website to let them know why.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

No live person to communicate with. Been trying to cancel my policies for past year. It's like talking to a wall or a person who speaks different language.. I even send it certified mail. I have proof that they received it and still they did a half a job.. worst customer service!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I'm very ill, waiting and praying and hoping for a liver transplant. On July 20 I called Gerber requesting only 200.00 out of the amount I have. My families & doctors are trying to help me financially. I was in coma for 3 days just recently. I have called Gerber 3 times, three different agents promised me to send me a form. On August 20 rec the form, today I called and they said just received the form and maybe will take 7 days. Gerber is not human, customer service is the worst. They have no respect or sympathy or caring, they don't care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

My daughter is now 20, when I bought the policy back when she was 6 months old I was understanding that it doubled and she could cash it out for 20,000. This part is part my fault. I misunderstood and didn't research enough I guess. The policy they told me today is worth 173.00. That is what she gets 173.00 on what I paid for over 20 years. I don't write reviews but for any parent trying to do something right for your child, don't do this. It does not pay and it's a waste. I lost thousands and have nothing to give my daughter. I feel like I have been ripped off and let her down.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I bought several policies of the Grow Up Plans for my grandkids when they were born. Have paid on them for all this time, now they are reaching majority age where the policy amount doubles, and they take control of them. The kids had planned on filing claims for them at this point - now Gerber says they are not worth but a few hundred dollars instead of the thousands they should be worth.

I will be calling to get answers in the morning and then canceling the policies I can; and filing complaints with the State of Michigan (Gerber home state) and the State of Nevada (my home state) Insurance Divisions; for fraud and deceptive business practices. And any other entity I can, such as the BBB, etc.... You need to use all your avenues as a consumer to make sure these companies are held accountable for these things that are just not right. That is why I am on this website, Yelp, and others. Knowledge is key. Such a shame, all that money we thought was going towards a good thing, wasted. What a ripoff. I could use that money for other important things.

Original review: May 8, 2019

All a person has to do to change a life insurance beneficiary is request a form as though they are the person who owns the policy and fill it out. If they have access to a demented person's ID, no problem. Trace the signature from the ID and send a copy of the ID along with the forged form and Gerber Life will honor the change in beneficiary. Also, you can set up an new policy on the person and have the fee taken out of the person's account automatically. This is what happened to my Dad who had dementia. The non-family member is walking away with $7000+. Gerber Life could prevent this by requiring a witnessed signature or a notarized signature.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I’ve tried to submit this review multiple times, and it’s never been published. I’ll try again for the sake of future victims. My mother had a 20k life ins policy with Gerber which she paid on for over 20 yrs. She had a stroke at 57 and once she entered the nursing home she was not able to pay her policy. She contacted Gerber and was told she had a disability rider on her policy. All we would need to do was send in proof of disability. Although proper paper work was sent multiple times Gerber refused to Honor the rider. Dr paperwork and social security disability paperwork they requested somehow wasn’t good enough.

My poor mother stressed over this until her death a year ago. The policy was only meant to pay funeral costs. I don’t understand how Gerber Life insurance is getting away with these fraudulent practices. I see other complaints on consumeraffairs.com that should be addressed and Gerber hasn’t responded. What’s going on? My mother paid more into this policy than would have been paid out!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought my mother a life insurance policy and I had it for 8 months and she lost her battle from metastatic colon cancer that moved to her liver. When myself and my 5 brothers and sisters went to the funeral home to make the arrangements the director/manager asked me if I wanted him to file the claim or if I wanted to do it myself and with everything I was dealing with I told him to do it. It was 2 weeks later and I called the funeral home to see if they had heard from Gerber Life yet and he said, "No. I haven't got anything in the mail yet from them." I gave it another week and called back to funeral home and again I was told the same thing. So I called Gerber Life and asked them what was going on they said they had sent papers on 3 different days and they haven't heard back.

The representative gave me the dates they sent the forms out and told me everything they needed like death certificate etc...so I got the funeral home's address and asked them to repeat to me the address they had on file and they did indeed have the funeral home home's correct address. I was aware that since the policy had not matured I would only be getting what I paid in so I ended up paying for the funeral out of my own pocket so this funeral home had nothing to gain by lying about receiving the forms from Gerber.

I believe this man who owns this funeral home. Our whole family has used their services for years and he is very reputable so when he says he hasn't received anything I believe him. I asked the rep. On the phone if they could send the forms to me and I would take them to him to fill out and I would mail them myself and they said, "No. We only send the forms to the one who filed the claim." It has been 5 months and Gerber has not tried to contact me about my policy.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I applied for my four children two months ago. Three out of the four were approved after a month and I have received four phone calls requesting a payment to get coverage started. I told them all four times that I will not make a payment until I know if the fourth child will be approved as I want to make a bulk payment for all four.

Two months later, a total of eight phone calls (between them calling me and me calling them), also nine emails from them requesting a payment. Here I am with no more information than I had a month ago. Three children approved, the fourth still they claim to not know what's going on. TWO MONTHS OF WAITING. Anything can happen in that period of time. I am seriously going somewhere else. Getting tired of waiting and if it is taking this long it makes me wonder what kind of experiences I may have in the future with this company and if it's worth the headache...

Original review: March 26, 2019

Won’t carry a child that’s Type1 Diabetic even though their A1C level is perfect the entire time. They have you get all of this stuff together to just waste your time knowing that they aren’t going to cover in the first place. When you call them out on it they say they can’t tell you and the reasoning has to go to your doctor then they ask who your doctor is after I submitted countless doctor records. Hello! I’m the Mother and guardian, I think you can give me your Lame and unwarranted excuse, many we know will not sign up now and a few are canceling as well as future children in our family will not even consider them, that takes wonderful people who will stand up for your child in what’s right and what’s wrong, very immoral company when all I wanted to do was protect her in case something ever happened to me and she had trouble getting herself insurance.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I filed a complaint with the Oklahoma state attorneys general office against Gerber for hacking into my savings account and I don’t even have an account with Gerber. Contacting Gerber administration was with negative results only to be passed onto other phone lines. If you are having problems with theft of accounts please contact OKLAHOMA STATE ATTORNEYS GENERAL OFFICE, State of Oklahoma, 313 N.E. 21st, OKC, OK 73105, case number **. I also filed with Social Security OIG, FOR MEDICARE/MEDICAID fraud. Gerber has refused to discuss the hacking of banking account. Gerber admitted it was for Medicaid supplement payments. Even though I don’t have any accounts with them. Good luck guys and let’s put a stop to this type of fraudulent actions going on.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My experience with Gerber Life has always been positive, they have been quick to take care of any problem I've had and to work with me to keep my policy active if I had any financial difficulties. I would and do recommend them to anyone I know looking for a reliable life insurance company. You have a wonderful and reliable company Gerber.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought 3 policies, one for me, my wife and grand-daughter. When calling to inquire - they answer the phone right away and can quickly process your 'new sale'. However, later I found a better deal (name withheld so not to appear to be a plug for another company) and called to cancel. First attempt and getting to 'press X to cancel your policy' was met with 'we're unable to take your call at this time, please try again later'. So I emailed them and got the cancellation forms and faxed them to the number indicated. Still nothing, so I finally emailed the same form. They just today refunded the cheapest one for grand-daughter but the 2 more expensive policies are not only NOT refunded yet - but they've hit my bank twice on 2 premiums on one of the policies. I'm currently 'on hold' and it has been 47 minutes and still waiting. Good luck to anyone that chooses them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I provided the paperwork/death certificate as required noting to return the death certificate to me. The representative told me the death certificate would be returned to me in a couple of days and the check would take 7 to 10 business days. Gerber Life received the 2nd day delivery of this paperwork on 12/17/2018. After checking with them to make sure of receipt, I was again told the check would be sent in 7 to 10 business days but the accounting staff would not be working on 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, or 1/1/2019. On my 3rd (third) request, I was told the death certificate had already been mailed back and must be delayed due to the holiday mail. I was also told at that time it take 10-14 business days for the check and that the accounting department only worked 1/2 day on 12/24, out 12/25, only worked 1/2 day on 12/31 and out on 1/1/2019.

When I advised the rep that I had been told 7 to 10 business days, she told me that I was not told that and that it was in the record I was told 10-14 days. When I told her I was given that information on two occasions, she told me that wasn't what was on record. At that point I asked to speak with a supervisor and a young man spoke to me and apologized for any inconvenience, that everything had been received/approved, and the check may go out on 1/4/2019. As of tonight, 1/10/2019, I have not received the check and the death certificate was returned date stamped by the post office on 12/31/2018. Although some of the representatives were very polite, information provided varied and it appears Gerber Life is in no hurry to pay claims in a timely fashion.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have had a life insurance policy for my grandson for years. Now all of the sudden every other month Gerber tells me my auto payments are not going through. I've contacted my bank and they have confirmed there has been no attempt by Gerber to withdraw the funds. I work long hours every day and do not have the time to keep calling and wasting my time on hold and trying to fix their mistake. I think Gerber is trying to keep all of the years of payments I've made. I'm thinking about an investigation!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Never finished, I was told by your recording that all agents are on the line, and I should call back later. What a joke! I am going to cancel my policy. I could not even log in, I was asked for my e-mail address (which I have used for the last 6 years) and my policy # which I had next to me, but a prompt came up stating that the e-mail address and the policy# did not match your records.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

One of my worst experiences in customer service in a long time! To start off with, I called and was put on hold then given the option to be called back and not lose my place in line. I opted for the call back. I was informed through an automated message I would get a call back in 30 minutes, I waited 1 hour and never received a call. So I called back and sat on hold for 1 hour and 6 minutes before someone picked up, just to be told they can not give me any info in regards to the policies because all 3 of my children are over 21 and the policies are now in their names. Nice!!!

GERBER was more than happy to withdraw monies from my account for the past 11 yrs including after all the children turned 21, but; will not give me any info over the phone in regards to the policies because they belong to the adult/ children. SCAM!! 2 out of 3 adult/children are going to cash out on them!!! THANK YOU GERBER for nothing!! Here's a novel idea!! Leave the policy in the purchasers/parents name until the adult/child is willing to make the payment, otherwise it should be up to the purchaser to continue to pay on the policy or cash out. I WILL NOT recommend this insurance plan to anyone!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My mother purchased a 20,000 policy in 2001 in case of her passing that she wanted to leave me and my brother. Sad to say she passed away in August 2018. They sent me a check for 1000.00. I said that's not correct, it should be 20,000. The lady told me that my mother purchased a policy that is no longer used so they only pay 1000.00 on it. How do they get away with this legally. People spend their hard earned money on premiums to have peace of mind when they pass, and Gerber does this. When is someone going to step in and hold these insurance companies liable for doing this or preying on the elderly. Don't buy from Gerber, you are better off to take that premium per month and put it under your mattress like the olden days. Crooks.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I purchased the Gerber policies for both of my grandson when they were born. For the past 23 years for one and 19 years for the other I have paid the premium annually. Both grandsons have asked to have the policies surrendered. I called, and waited and waited, to speak with a person about the process...paperwork would be sent to me and I was to return the completed paperwork and a copy of my driver's license, a check would be issued in 7-10 business days. NO CHECK has been received. Again I call and wait and wait--- I am told the check was written on the 7th of March...and it would take 7-10 business days. AS of today March 28th there is still NO check.

OK--- so the other grandson wants to surrender his policy and he is over 21 so he needs to call. He tries and tries on his breaks at work and can't get through as he waits and waits. I call for him and of course I wait and wait also. Finally a person and yes we will send the paperwork to you to give to him... You got it nothing. The kicker today I receive the annual bill for the first grandson's policy that is due in JULY but the statement says due 3/01/2018 - postmarked 3/12/2018. This is the most screwed up company, mismanaged, understaffed and over advertised company I have ever dealt with. I would recommend that NO ONE purchases insurance from them.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I had a whole life insurance on my mom that was suppose to kick in after two years. I put my payment on auto pay quarterly. About 5 months to when the coverage would kick in, they suddenly said that the payment did not go through and I had no knowledge of it and my credit card denied declining it. I agreed to make the payment ASAP and they agreed but later refused and said I have to apply for reinstatement. I answered all the unending applications and sent 4 months payment in addition to the payment that I missed. They would not still reinstate it and stop picking my calls unless I call with a strange number then they would pick.

I contacted Dept of Insurance and the process was not progressing as I would want and decided to forget the policy. All the money that I paid before the two years was wasted cos they said it lost cash value because of the missed payment. Life Insurance policy is out for me; I will never go for it anymore; especially with Gerber. Maybe they are good with kid insurance but with adult insurance, Please do not have anything to do with Gerber.

Gerber Life Insurance response

We have received the concerns shared about the life insurance policy with our company and want to take this opportunity to respond.

We appreciate bringing these concerns to our attention. Our review has been completed and the case with the DOI has been closed at this time.

When premium payments presented for payment are not honored, notifications are sent to the address on file. There were three notices sent for this policy. When a policy has lapsed past the specified period, reinstatement forms are required with proof of insurability. When the forms are received, they are reviewed and processed with notification of results being sent back to the policy holder.

Gerber Life strives to provide excellent service and we are truly sorry if that was not your recent experience with us.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company does not seem to be very reliable. They make it look pretty and nice while they convince you to buy the policy. Then after that they won't answer the phone for information, and if they answer you they don't really know the answer to your questions. They leave you on hold and never answer back again. What a joke. First of all a good and serious company would never ever do such a disrespectful thing to their customers and second if they are that good they should have more workers to success the quality of customer service.

I started my policy in February 2016 the college plan for my Daughter. This policy is suppose to be paid in a period of 12 years so that means that I still have to do payments for 10 more years, but today Feb 22 of 2018 they sent me a piece of mail letting me know that I still have to pay for 11 more years? how come? Scammers. Gerber is stealing me a whole year of payments made and if I cancel the policy all I get is 1 thousand back, so that means they will keep more than half of the payments made. :) Be careful and do not make the same mistake.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

What a crock! Automated services can be such a load of horse **! When I have an issue that I want to discuss with a representative outside of the scope of the Automated services I should be able to get a real person. It's like the company is hiding something... Make a payment; NO. Change you policy; NO. Make a claim; NO. Talk to a real person; SORRY NOBODY WORKS THERE! Push seven to return back to the automated service menu to better serve you????

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My mother died June 2017 and I contacted the agent that issued my mom's life insurance policy. He stated he started a claim on my behalf. The agent provided the wrong name and address when filing the claim. I contact Gerber to correct the issue and I was told they had corrected their records. I am still receiving mail from Gerber stating they are unable to process my claim and it still has the incorrect name on the correspondence. When you call the wait time is 22 minutes. I have never experienced such incompetence with a business ever.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have Gerber Life’s Grow-Up plan for my daughter, which I’ve had for 21 years, and a life insurance for myself. And the value’s great considering the cost. With the one for my daughter though, after she reached 18, we’d go from $10,000 to $20,000, and it hasn’t done that. They advertised that on TV and things that I received in the mail.

When my daughter needed money for school, we were able to borrow against the policy and then pay it back, and it worked out well. We’ve done that twice, and the process is simple, there’s no delaying getting the check. It can either be paid back in full or monthly depending on what your circumstances are. And that’s a very good option. Everybody should have life insurance and I would recommend Gerber Life Insurance to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My grandmother had all of her grandchildren on an insurance policy until we made a certain age. She waited for us to graduate out of high school then she cashed them out and gave us the money to do what we had to do for graduation. I also started to apply with Gerber Life a month or two after I had my daughter. I signed up then they sent me back the paperwork to let me know what was available and what did I qualify for. I got the Grow-Up Plan and picked the $5000 to start it all off with. It was all done through mail and I didn't talk to anyone when I set it up. After a year or two, I upped it to the $10,000 value policy. I kept paying on it, making sure everything is correct, while her policy matures. I want to make sure that she can go and have money when she's ready to go to college.

I also got an Accidental Plan for myself and when I set that up, I talked to someone about everything that I needed to have and what part of my policy money will be distributed. They also told me how to set up the beneficiaries since my daughter was under the age of 18 and they were very knowledgeable about that. I love this company. Every time I have anything wrong, if I can't get it on the internet at home, they get everything I need done right then and there.

I tell my friends all the time, even my brothers, to go ahead and purchase from Gerber Life. I had one friend who just had a baby about three months ago and I told her, $3 a month is nothing for an insurance policy that her child can grow up into. By the time he graduates out of high school or need the money for college, or anything happens to her, he got something to fall back on. I also told her that she can pay for three or four months at a time and she doesn't have to pay Gerber until they are sending her a message telling her that she got a payment coming up.

Gerber Life Insurance Company Information