Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.09/5

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Foremost Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Never had a claim so I can not tell how their coverage is. Also they allow monthly payments, but not on a credit card. Got it. Hope I never need it. Never talked to an agent. And never got annoying phone calls.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Shopping for new insurance. We went to the site and followed the directions, then called the 800#. Talked to rep, he wanted to know what we pay now. We want a quote. He hung up on us. We call back want to speak to someone else. They said they would call us back. They didn't. After over 1 hour I called back, they hung up again.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: May 7, 2020

They will not cover any claims. They said we did not maintain our home when we had a water leak in the wall. I don't know how to you check inside your walls for leaks. They said we let the water leaks for months before reporting it. This is not true. We reported the leak as soon as we noticed it. Again how do you check for leaks in your walls. They tried to tell us this is standard practice with all insurance companies not to cover wall leaks. Great company if you want to give your hard earned money away.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was out of town and hospitalized and my insurance lapsed by 2 DAYS. FOREMOST AARP would not reinstate my insurance and I had to have a new policy rewritten, for the same insurance the price was over $300.00 more a year. I have had insurance with Foremost for over 12 years at this location and never filed a claim. I have excellent credit, and feel I was taken advantage of by FOREMOST AARP. I had to drop the coverage amount by 30%, to get a similar premium as last year. They did have my age and gender and I feel FOREMOST AARP is taking advantage of women and the elderly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I would like to warn Foremost customers and those looking to purchase insurance. My experience with Foremost isn't good. I purchased insurance 6 years ago thinking I was covered on my property. I didn't find out until I had a claim. The claim adjuster came out wrote the claim, then I am told a little later that the insurance agent wrote up my policy wrong. It was written up as a tenant policy whereas I didn't have any furniture in the mobile home when agent visited to inspect the home.

I appeal the denial of claim by Foremost. I was told that they would respond to me about my appeal, the 20 days passed. Had to call adjuster back asking why I hadn't received information about appeal. Foremost denied my appeal throwing it back on agent. My mistake was thinking that my agent and carrier (Foremost) were looking out for my best interest. They passed the buck so everyone can point fingers at others. Insurance is a necessary evil. So those with policies with Foremost are warned, and for those thinking about purchasing insurance beware.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My partner and I recently purchased an investment property that we plan to renovate and then rent out or occupy. Being long-time Geico customers, we decided to choose Foremost Insurance since it is a partner company. At first, all went smoothly. We were upfront about the repairs we were planning to do and the condition of the property (perfectly inhabitable, but in need of TLC). Having purchased our plan and paid our premium, we left town for a month on vacation and came home to a notice that the company had cancelled our policy.

The reasons for the cancellation were minor damage to the roof and the presence of appliances on the property, both of which the company had known about prior to our purchase. We never received so much as a phone call or email to inform us of the alleged issues with our coverage, and when I called after we had received the letter, I was told there was nothing they could do since the policy had been cancelled a week prior to my calling. The agent I spoke to recommended visiting someone local to discuss our situation and procure new insurance. I sincerely wish we had done so in the first place.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Had 5 properties on a policy. Added a 6th with the tenant wanting to know if they could have an above ground pool. I contacted my agent and she contacted Foremost and was told it was OK. I then allowed the above ground pool in a 2 year lease. I then get a notice that the pool would have to be removed or they were canceling my policy. My agent called back and went up the ladder and spoke to supervisors. She basically was told that "Small pools (up to 2 or 3 feet deep) were allowed" They are losing all of my properties of which the agent found comparable coverage for much less money. When I called, I got an "I'm sorry". No stars from me, but I had to give one to leave this review. Beware!!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Have had for years. Had a rep come out to look at a possible Leak. Turns out never had one and never made a claim. They o get a letter saying to fix a manufacturer default in my outside metal Awning that was installed before I bought the home some 20 years ago. Well now they refused to keep me as a customer because of the gap between my mobile home and the metal awning. Now I have no leaks. Have never had any leaks. No made any claims for leaks but they still cancelled my policy. Beware. They never even reached out to tell me. Just kept taking my money. Worst company ever.

Original review: March 22, 2019

In January 2019, I made a payment over the automated system for $76.78. When I got my bank statement at the end of the month, their system removed $151.76 for January and February. I quickly called them up and told them what their system did and that I did make my payment ON TIME. I told them just to reimburse me $76.78 back into my account so all my checks I have already paid won't bounce. I told them to keep the other part of the amount and put it towards my January premium, it's that easy. She told me that was too confusing for her and billing, she said that she will just return back to my account the complete $151.78.

I told her that don't make sense since you already have the money in your possession, and that this is going to make my January payment late, she did it anyway. She said once I get the full amount back into my account, then I should call her up and make my Jan. pmt. I told her this is going to back up two months payment because it takes time for the bank to clear the amount and you caused me to be late on two months because I can't give you two months premiums out of one month, not enough money in account. I sent her the payment the second week in February to take care of January. I called her up to see if she got the money, she told me now I'm considered late in paying and still owe February.

I told her she caused all this mess making me late first because of her stupid automated payment recording taking $151. Instead of just the normal payment of 76.78, and secondly, reimbursing back into the account the full amount instead of just sending me back 76.78 and keeping the other amount for my January premium. They sent me a Cancellation of Insurance notice and that I must pay the full amount owed for February by March 29, 2019, or they will close my insurance. They also threatened me that they will call the credit company and the bank that holds my mortgage. I'm worried sick over losing my home because the bank will take it back, I have no place to live, I'm alone with no family to help me. I have to start looking for a new insurance real quick, no time to waste.

I have been with this company since I bought this house in 2004. All this was not my fault at all, but they don't care. My roof was damaged and water leaking on my ceilings from Hurricane Irma. They refused to pay for a new roof, told me the cause is an old roof with no maintenance, not true. I got a lawyer and he worked on the case for me and won the case. He made Foremost pay for the whole roof, paint my ceilings and pay lawyer's fees. This company won't pay for anything, they keep finding excuses why they don't have to pay, they are just good at taking a person's hard earned money real quick. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We had a very bad wind storm and I had some shingles blown off my roof and the skirting on my home was blown loose. I knew when I saw them in my yard. I called Foremost, and asked Bessie what to do and can they send someone out. She said for me to take pictures with my phone and send them to her. I tried, but my roof is black so nothing would show up. So I call Bessie again. Now she says for me to have someone come out and give me an estimate. I did, and the contractor sent them a bid.

Next thing I know, now they can send a live person out to look at my roof (which was what I asked for in the FIRST PLACE). So Steve the "live" adjuster says since I had some seals repaired on my roof, they will pay NOTHING for my roof. Did not even address the skirting issue. I have been with this company for 29 years and this was my second claim. ** poor treatment was given to me all the way around. Now I want to change companies but they've reported me to a homeowner's database, making it hard for me to find a new carrier. If a class action for Missouri starts I will help get it going!!!

Foremost Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company specializes in writing policies for consumers with poor credit and covering high-risk homes, including older houses. It partners with local agents, so homeowners can always receive face-to-face answers for all their policy questions. The company has an A rating for financial strength from AM Best, as well.

• Cost: An average policy with Foremost costs $1,700 a year, depending on factors like the age of the home and its location.

• Plans and coverage: Foremost’s two plans are Foremost Classic ACV and Foremost Classic CL. The Classic CL plan has comprehensive coverage, while the Classic ACV plan covers older homes that would cost too much to completely replace.

• Discounts: Foremost offers discounts for bundling, high deductibles, seniors, no claims, new homebuyers and protective home devices.

• Availability: Foremost Insurance Group provides coverage in all 50 states. Quotes are only available in person.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor