Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.05/5

Foremost is an insurance provider that specializes in home insurance for difficult-to-insure properties. It’s most ideal for those with older homes or homes in areas prone to natural disasters. It offers thorough coverage and customization options.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

Foremost Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Stay away from this company. From the top down it's structured in a way to extract maximum monetary gain from their customer while providing as little support as possible. They're structured like an onion. You peel layer after layer to get to the core that tells you you're not covered after a devastating storm. Or that you're being charged more than what's fair. Or they need you to do their job for them due to Covid. Or that no we won't work with you, because our company is structured in a way that demonstrates a lack of compassion towards human beings.

A derecho came through our area. Very devastating. I had 7 policies with Foremost at the time. Had. I paid them around $10k over nearly a 3 year period. The only time I filed a claim they left me hanging. Their adjuster found nearly $10k in damage to a property that had a few trees come down on and around it, and on the neighbor's house as well. Turns out my deductible is $2500 for Wind and Hail. This is frustrating because every time I signed up a policy with my agent was usually through email or phone, and I'd request a $1k deductible.

Apparently Foremost likes to sell "$1k deductibles" that are actually $1k for fire, and $2500 for wind and hail. Very unethical. So $10k in damage - $2500 deductible(I'm paying for $1k deductible though), and they're offering to pay $922 total claim. LOL! They're arguing that some of the $10k came from a different storm. They have no way of knowing this or proving this. It's just some bogus argument that they make to scam honest folks out of their insurance claim. So buyer beware.

Money paid to Foremost would be more effectively used as toilet paper. I've done my research by now. By far the best insurance company in my area is Country. My advice is go with a company that isn't trying to scam you. A company structured around treating humans with some semblance of compassion. Avoid Foremost at all costs. They're highly unethical and cold.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Foremost ins company is the worst organization I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I work in a hospital during this pandemic. Home should be the safe place to go. Not if Foremost is your company. They will take your money then lie and crap you out of any help on any type of repair. They should have any and all license they hold taken away immediately and their staff under a criminal investigation and review. It should not be legal for crooks like these to give you a legally binding contract to which your end is the only end to be held up to. Run as fast as you can and if you're looking for home ins please read all their reviews on several sites and please buyer beware. If I could give them negative stars I would. They probably didn’t earn the lousy couple they do have.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Never had a claim so I can not tell how their coverage is. Also they allow monthly payments, but not on a credit card. Got it. Hope I never need it. Never talked to an agent. And never got annoying phone calls.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Shopping for new insurance. We went to the site and followed the directions, then called the 800#. Talked to rep, he wanted to know what we pay now. We want a quote. He hung up on us. We call back want to speak to someone else. They said they would call us back. They didn't. After over 1 hour I called back, they hung up again.

Original review: May 7, 2020

They will not cover any claims. They said we did not maintain our home when we had a water leak in the wall. I don't know how to you check inside your walls for leaks. They said we let the water leaks for months before reporting it. This is not true. We reported the leak as soon as we noticed it. Again how do you check for leaks in your walls. They tried to tell us this is standard practice with all insurance companies not to cover wall leaks. Great company if you want to give your hard earned money away.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was out of town and hospitalized and my insurance lapsed by 2 DAYS. FOREMOST AARP would not reinstate my insurance and I had to have a new policy rewritten, for the same insurance the price was over $300.00 more a year. I have had insurance with Foremost for over 12 years at this location and never filed a claim. I have excellent credit, and feel I was taken advantage of by FOREMOST AARP. I had to drop the coverage amount by 30%, to get a similar premium as last year. They did have my age and gender and I feel FOREMOST AARP is taking advantage of women and the elderly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I would like to warn Foremost customers and those looking to purchase insurance. My experience with Foremost isn't good. I purchased insurance 6 years ago thinking I was covered on my property. I didn't find out until I had a claim. The claim adjuster came out wrote the claim, then I am told a little later that the insurance agent wrote up my policy wrong. It was written up as a tenant policy whereas I didn't have any furniture in the mobile home when agent visited to inspect the home.

I appeal the denial of claim by Foremost. I was told that they would respond to me about my appeal, the 20 days passed. Had to call adjuster back asking why I hadn't received information about appeal. Foremost denied my appeal throwing it back on agent. My mistake was thinking that my agent and carrier (Foremost) were looking out for my best interest. They passed the buck so everyone can point fingers at others. Insurance is a necessary evil. So those with policies with Foremost are warned, and for those thinking about purchasing insurance beware.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My partner and I recently purchased an investment property that we plan to renovate and then rent out or occupy. Being long-time Geico customers, we decided to choose Foremost Insurance since it is a partner company. At first, all went smoothly. We were upfront about the repairs we were planning to do and the condition of the property (perfectly inhabitable, but in need of TLC). Having purchased our plan and paid our premium, we left town for a month on vacation and came home to a notice that the company had cancelled our policy.

The reasons for the cancellation were minor damage to the roof and the presence of appliances on the property, both of which the company had known about prior to our purchase. We never received so much as a phone call or email to inform us of the alleged issues with our coverage, and when I called after we had received the letter, I was told there was nothing they could do since the policy had been cancelled a week prior to my calling. The agent I spoke to recommended visiting someone local to discuss our situation and procure new insurance. I sincerely wish we had done so in the first place.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Had 5 properties on a policy. Added a 6th with the tenant wanting to know if they could have an above ground pool. I contacted my agent and she contacted Foremost and was told it was OK. I then allowed the above ground pool in a 2 year lease. I then get a notice that the pool would have to be removed or they were canceling my policy. My agent called back and went up the ladder and spoke to supervisors. She basically was told that "Small pools (up to 2 or 3 feet deep) were allowed" They are losing all of my properties of which the agent found comparable coverage for much less money. When I called, I got an "I'm sorry". No stars from me, but I had to give one to leave this review. Beware!!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Have had for years. Had a rep come out to look at a possible Leak. Turns out never had one and never made a claim. They o get a letter saying to fix a manufacturer default in my outside metal Awning that was installed before I bought the home some 20 years ago. Well now they refused to keep me as a customer because of the gap between my mobile home and the metal awning. Now I have no leaks. Have never had any leaks. No made any claims for leaks but they still cancelled my policy. Beware. They never even reached out to tell me. Just kept taking my money. Worst company ever.

Foremost Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company specializes in writing policies for consumers with poor credit and covering high-risk homes, including older houses. It partners with local agents, so homeowners can always receive face-to-face answers for all their policy questions. The company has an A rating for financial strength from AM Best, as well.

• Cost: An average policy with Foremost costs $1,700 a year, depending on factors like the age of the home and its location.

• Plans and coverage: Foremost’s two plans are Foremost Classic ACV and Foremost Classic CL. The Classic CL plan has comprehensive coverage, while the Classic ACV plan covers older homes that would cost too much to completely replace.

• Discounts: Foremost offers discounts for bundling, high deductibles, seniors, no claims, new homebuyers and protective home devices.

• Availability: Foremost Insurance Group provides coverage in all 50 states. Quotes are only available in person.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor