Foremost Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After hurricane Mathew hit our home in North Carolina, we promptly had an inspection done on our roof after our tenants noticed water running down the walls of the home. We were informed that a few shingles were missing, there was a hole in the plywood, and that the sand on the shingles was off. Foy's Roofing Company explained that it looked more like hail damage than wind damage, however the shingles that were missing was from the hurricane. He also explained that the holes in the roof was more than likely made by the hail caused the water to run inside and damage the walls inside the home. We them proceeded to call and make a claim with Foremost, and received a quick response.

After the adjustor went out and looked at the damage, and made the call that the roof was completely destroyed, but we were not going to like the news. He then proceeded to tell us that Foremost will not pay but a small portion to have it fixed, and also explained that they will not pay for the inside for the house because it was hurricane related and the roof was from a previous hailstorm. We could make two claims if we choose. My husband tried to explain that even though there was no shingles missing from the valley that it was leaking from, that the hail could have possible cracked the flashing underneath, he was not listen to that claim.

At this time we were under the impression that our deductible was 500 dollars as stated on our policy. This obvious was not the case, and we were told there was changes done to our policy (that was in small print) that we now owed a percentage. Our deductible went from $500 to $5300, that was just for the roof to get fixed, and we were told that Foremost was taking their portion, deducting the depreciation cost, and the $5300 from their estimate they come up with then we would receive a check. A total replacement of the just the roof will cost us $9800 Foremost has given us $1598 for the repair of the whole roof, and the inside will cost us out of pocket at $3000. We are so disgusted and disappointed by Foremost, and believe we have certainly been taken advance of by this company.

I believe this insurance fraud at it finest, and at a time like this it makes it even harder to fathom there is people out there that would intentionally steal people's money. We are former military, and have several friends getting ready to rent their homes out, I have given them different companies other than Foremost, Farmers and Nationwide, to use for insurance to keep them from getting take advantage of.

Since Farmers Insurance joined up with Foremost, the coverage is worthless and it basically covers nothing except earthquakes or fires. I read my policy and looking for another insurance that will provide my home with proper coverage without all the exclusions. Before you purchase your coverage read the policy and then ask your agent "Where is my home actually covered, and why would I buy this policy?"

Foremost Insurance Company was introduce to me by Pearl Carroll & Associates LLC a broker who deals with my Union to provide a variety of insurance policies. I recently purchased a new vehicle and the insurance company I initially contracted was high. I wanted something more affordable. Pearl Carroll & Associates representative presented to me, after getting all of my insurance, personal information a deal far less than what I was paying. After confirming with them regarding price and assurance from them that this was the price $456, I signed the contract.

A month of after Foremost started asking me to provide them with pictures for car, which I went to Carauco to have taken and faxed them the number that revealed it was done and the pictures will be coming thereafter from Carauco. Nevertheless they cancelled the collision on my car. When I called them they stated that it takes time for them to process their faxes and then confirmed that they did get it and would be putting my collision back on my vehicle.

However the price of insurance went down that went up to approximately $500 and they said there was nothing they could do to correct. There after they began to ask for declaration pages from prior insurance carriers, items such as ABS, Anti-theft, defensive driving certificate. Information that they was fully aware of at the beginning, nevertheless everything they asked for I provided. Yet they still hiked up my insurance from $456 to $680 stated I changed insurance carriers which they were fully aware of before they quoted the initially price. Maybe for some that price gauge is okay but it totally caused havoc to my life and to Peter. You know Peter is the other bills I had to take money from in order to pay Paul since it is illegally to drive without insurance. It was to be for 6 mos. and I did not change insurance companies so that I did not give the future insurance carrier reason to rob me.

An accident occurred and the collision place. Checked my insurance to ensure rental coverage which there were and set up a rental with Enterprise car rental which the car they gave broke down and after asking for another rental they instead sent Triple A which jumped the car and the car broke down again. After I called my insurance explained this to them which they did nothing. I called again and explained this to them again and asked them to setup a rental with another car rental company such as Avis or Hertz. Again they did nothing.

I had to set up a rental myself and pay for it with my credit card. How is it right to pay so much money for car insurance yet when the service that they are suppose to provide is not being provided. I did not rate my experience with this company because it was HORRIBLE. I would not recommend them to a friend; I would not even recommend them to an enemy. If I could find a lawyer in my area that deals in breach of contract I would take the money that I barely have to pay this insurance company and give it to the lawyer to sue them.

It seems to be a great insurance company. I have had it for 6 years now, and have never made a claim against it. It has the best price rates that I have found to cover mobile homes. On the down side, my rates keep climbing! I realize that there have been many fires, tornadoes, mudslides, flooding and other natural disasters in the past several years. But, why should I be strapped with the burden of paying towards other unfortunate people's claims! It is hard enough these days for a disabled person to just barely be able to afford to get by. I also, every month have to deal with continuously rising insurance rates as well. That is why this country's economy is in the tank.

Pay our bill on time. Every month we are charged a late fee by our mortgage company. At the beginning of the year we always get our insurance dropped notice by our mortgage company because they are late with their payment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

I live in a hurricane zone in Louisiana, and a lot of insurance companies choose not to take people in our area on. Foremost has done so, and not at a crazy rate. The one time we did have to make a claim, they were very accommodating and really reached out to make sure we were comfortable until our home was fixed.

I actually have a mobile home and I obtained Foremost Homeowners Insurance through AARP. They are very easy to work with and offer affordable payments. I have not had any claims so I cannot speak to that. I was able to obtain immediate coverage over the phone. Because I went through AARP I also go a discount.

Way too expensive. Has went up every year for the last 15 years from $500 a year to over $1,000 a year. Really crazy. Been searching for a better company but haven't had any luck yet.

Foremost is a pretty good insurance. We been with them for a very long time. We only had to use the insurance one time so far. We had to put a new roof on. Call them and it wasn't too long after we call they sent us a check in the mail to put on a new roof. I would kind of recommend them. They are for mobile home trailers.

Since we live in a mobile home, our insurance does not come for your typical insurance company. There are very few companies that cover mobile homes due to the risk involved. Our rates are pretty high for the amount of coverage that we have but, we cannot afford to raise the coverage. My advice to others would be to try and build or purchase a stick built home. It is not only safer, the insurance is less.

This company is well worth the money - very accurate with billing, answering questions. We have had them for over 10 years. There has never been a problem. We have recommended to new residents in our trailer park. Everyone says the same thing. They are very happy. Their payment programs are very price efficient. They will recommend new things to you. New information comes all the time. The residents that we have referred feel the same way. I would not trade them for anyone else. Thank you very much.

They are easy to work with, just wish they had better policies that includes pre-existing damage coverage on pre-owned homes. They do not cover leaking roof or normal wear and tear. Thought my home was covered and it was not. Only windstorm such as if the roof blows off or a tree falls in. If there is a named storm the deductible is higher. I have been a customer for 9 years.

This insurance company is affordable. Their service is excellent too. You don't have problem talking to any representative. I am happy of being one of their customer.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Specializing in home insurance for people whose properties may not prove eligible for coverage with other companies, Foremost Insurance is licensed in all fifty states. Foremost partners with local agents so that homeowners can always receive face-to-face answers for all their policy questions.

• Primary homes and more: Foremost Insurance covers primary residences, as well as seasonal homes and secondary dwellings.
  • Flexible options: The company offers seven different options for flexible coverage, including comprehensive property coverage for physical losses not otherwise included in the policy and named peril and liability coverage for injury or accidents occurring to others in the home.
  • No depreciation deductions: Homeowners can elect coverage that provides for actual replacement without deductions for depreciation. This option can also include personal property and other structures on the property.
  • Extended replacement cost option: Extended replacement cost options increase money received after a loss by an additional 25%. Living expenses, replacement-cost coverage for personal property and additional coverage for high-dollar possessions are also available.
  • Higher deductibles, lower premiums: Foremost Insurance offers policies with higher deductibles and liability limits that lower premium costs. Convenient payment plans include electronic funds transfer and online payments, as well as mailing options.
  • Best for Individuals with older homes, traditional homeowners and properties that have some cosmetic damage.

Compare Homeowners Insurance