2.33/5
Based on 24 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Foremost Homeowners

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

24 Foremost Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

On September 27, we had a fire in our laundry area. The entire mobile home sustained fire damage. It took five days for the first adjustor to come out. He was at the house four hours then told us he couldn't handle the claim because it was a large loss claim. So I don't know why they sent him out and what he did for four hours if he wasn't even qualified to be there. He also brought along an Origin of Fire expert who was also there four hours and said the fire started in my washing machine motor. Nothing at all for another week when they sent out a large claim adjustor. He spent about five hours in the home. He also brought along an engineer and the Origin of fire expert again. The two of them were there about five hours, moved the washer and dryer back into the house to take pictures then took them with them when they left. That was Monday and now here it is another week and still nothing.

Every time I call they say they are still investigating. It's been three weeks and I'm tired and stressed out. They did put us up in a hotel but it is no vacation. Our dogs who we love dearly are in a kennel which is breaking my heart. It just feels like they are trying to drag it out until they can find a reason not to pay the claim. Meanwhile, I have sent them receipts for 21 days of meals, replacement clothing, toiletries, etc. and I have gotten back $43. One receipt from October 6. This company is the biggest joke I've ever seen.

We've had homeowners insurance for over 30 years and prior to this filed one claim for tornado damage that was settled within a week. We had to switch to Foremost five years ago when we bought a mobile home in the country and they were the only company that would cover it. We purchased our policy through AARP/Foremost. I am just so disappointed in Foremost. They should have had a qualified adjustor at our property the day after the fire, not five days later, then another seven days to get someone qualified out there. They just keep dragging their feet. I have spent the past three days crying and no one at Foremost seems to care.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Had numerous policies for years with Foremost since they insure Mobile Homes. Finally had one claim, adjuster was brand new, her Supervisor finally took over due to incompetence but he was Swamped. Jumped through hoops, got a partial settlement and dropped all the insurance. That's it in a Nutshell... It's poor insurance, get rid of it as soon as you can. It's only gonna Work for you if you have A DISASTER.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We had paid this company for approx 20 years. When we had water damage by Hurricane Harvey they came out (private husband and wife team contracted to Foremost). She looked at the water damage on the ceiling and walls and door entrance, taken the pictures and left. She sent a letter saying the water came into our home due to foam that was placed where the two separate roofs meet. The roofs are metal with a overlap to the additional room added. She stated, that it acted like a sponge and she seen this before and that was our fault so we were denied denied denied.

Harvey happened Sept. 2017. We were sent a response letter stating not covered wind, hail side winds, hurricanes, typhoons, tornados, rising water, scorching (FIRE). Our insurance declaration was very vague when purchased from the agent. But in the Declaration it will say for further info about your policy see (A1partc Example). We and all are lead by deception. But when you have some damage and file a claim they are quick to show A1partc to us. YOU Turned out we never had insurance!!! Not covered scorching (Fire), tornados (wind), hail ect. THEY ARE AS BAD AS Bernie Madoff. YOU, WE AND I are truly being swindled. They use words of many meanings so it can be structured to benefit THEM (I will never have ins again). These are true criminals.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I moved from Michigan in 2009 and turned my former home into a rental property. An agent from Farmers Insurance, the parent company referred me to Foremost which handled landlord properties for them. In 2012, the renter called and said most of the siding had been ripped off one side of the home in a storm. He said he would do whatever he could but I should call the insurance company because it was severe. I pay $872.00 for my policy and have had it for nearly nine years. I live in Arizona so I rely on this company to keep my home from damages. They came out, took some pictures, and said there wasn't anything wrong with the house. The renter had tacked the paneling back up the best that he could but the underlying damage was never fixed. It has come off several times since 2012 and the renter would try to put it back in place. Recently he said that he couldn't get it to stay on anymore and that I better call the insurance again.

I made another claim online and they sent a claims adjustor out a few days later. They have never called me but I received a letter today denying my claim since they say the damage has occurred over the last five years since making the first claim. My house is small, only about a thousand feet and I estimated the cost of materials to fix it, excluding the labor, at about a thousand dollars total. I conservatively priced the cost of house wrap, plywood, lumber, vinyl siding, and drywall generously computing more material than needed. Just one insurance payment would have covered the cost of materials and they turned me down. It doesn't make sense to me but after seeing all the bad reviews, I can see why this company is getting extremely low ratings. They seem to place a higher priority on profit than customer relations.

I've already paid for another full year but you can rest assured that I will not be renewing. Let this be a warning to other Landlords if you have Foremost right now or may become a landlord. This company will not pay claims and their insurance is high compared to most other homeowner's policies. Why pay the big price when they avoid servicing claims? If you have this insurance right now, I would be very careful about considering a renewal.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It took me over 1.5 years to get a refund for my premium after I canceled the policy (months before it renewed and they charged me regardless). I wrote to them repeatedly. If they treat you this crappily when you pay them I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get them to pay out a claim. Utter garbage company, avoid at all costs. If I could leave fewer stars I would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I had a fire on 4/24/2017. My home was totally unlivable. Foremost sent Service Masters out that day to explain the "process" of drying out the water damage & cleaning and packing anything salvageable. SOUNDS GREAT HUH. Well Foremost paid this wonderful process out of my $30k contents coverage which maxed it out. So I don't get reimbursed for most of my contents. The adjusters and higher ups have been EXTREMELY RUDE. The $20k additional living expense was cut off on June 17. ALTHOUGH they did pay 4 months on an RV that is parked in my driveway. I live 12 miles out in the country with 6 dogs, two cats, and livestock. THEY said I was being unreasonable because I refused to have my animals boarded. So no additional living expenses for eating out, laundry, the extra trips I have to make to town because the RV has a tiny fridge.

BTW the insurance company also had a dry cleaner come and pick up anything cleanable. BOTH cleaning companies required me to sign an assignment of benefits that the insurance company would pay them direct. Foremost said that was a contract between me & the cleaners. However, the bills were sent directly to the insurance company without me having any idea how much they charged. The adjuster said they would review and pay what was allowed. A total of almost $40k. They paid $6300 for having $3000 worth of "cleanables" cleaned??? My entire pantry was burned out and those items were depreciated 50%. Everything else was depreciated 30%. Due to their creative accounting that depreciation is not recoverable.

I have $100k on my home but am using some of my savings trying to get everything back together. The contractor is progress billing me but Foremost is yet to make any additional payments. I hung up on the adjuster after five weeks when he continued to be rude and not allow me to speak. The adjuster's boss immediately called me back and I told him I was too angry to talk. Of course he wanted to TALK, I told him I was so angry I would drive 60 miles and beat the crap out of his adjuster if he didn't just let me cool off. My policy has been cancelled and now I can only talk to their attorney.

Foremost is owned by Farmers Group. If your insurance has FARM in it anywhere it's probably owned by Farmers. BEWARE if you have a significant loss... YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED as you would expect to be. IF I had a mortgage on my home I probably would have received better compensation and treatment. It's unfortunate that BIG COMPANIES are so willing to take your money but they don't stand by you when the chips are down.

Original review: July 24, 2017

In the past I had no problems with claims being looked at in a speedy fashion, but it is the hottest it has been and can't get someone to look at problem. Let me explains. Heat pump gets hit by lightning on Saturday. Sunday take camper to park to stay cooler and pay for a week. Call in claim on Monday tell them my story and they want to pay for a motel room not camp site which is lots cheaper. I have no cell service in campground and told them to text me and I would check phone and call them. So that set up an appointment on Friday from 1-5 in the afternoon and call Wednesday. Tell me the company that called couldn't come until Monday. I was a little upset, to say the least.

Well on Monday morning checked my phone and they tell me the person was at my home to check the heat pump. After telling me someone would call ahead of time to schedule or be there, I had no other phone call. So the mess was to call when I received the message and so I did and no one answered. So waited a while and called back. Young man explained he was sorry and he would schedule and let me know. So I wait in heat at home for someone to give me a time and called to find out that it will be Wednesday the day I have to have my camper moved back from campground at 8 am. And check out time at campground is at 10 am. Not enough time of take down and come home.

So called my adjuster back and they are out of office until Wednesday. And someone else would check phone call and call me back. Well it 4:40 and no one called. Even got a supervisor's # and no calls back before I go back to campground with no service. It's only 90 degrees people and I'm running out of money and time. My job don't work around you. Maybe they don't care. So my advice is maybe find you a different company to get your insurance with. Seems this one is washed up. Thanks for your time. If you do deal with them you should record it yourself.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Auto Insurance - Foremost County Mutual Insurance Company and affiliate of 21st Century Insurance company opened a false claim someone place on July 14, 2014 against me (claim # **), although my wife and I refuted the claim and proved that this was false and I was not even in town during the reported accident. A representative to company sent an email stating they agreed that the claim was false and not paid but this information is still being pulled up by different companies as a claim on my husband's record (it is now showing twice as two claims). My wife and I have been fighting this for two years and thought it was cleared up until recently when I attempted to get a quote from another insurance company. At this point I am getting desperate since this has caused my insurance premiums to skyrocket.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I made a claim a few year ago and there was no hassle. Someone came out and looks over the damage. Foremost Homeowners gave me money on the spot. It turned out it wasn't enough money for the repairs. They did give me more money with no hassle. I had a AARP membership so I didn't have to pay out of my pocket. They just deducted it from the amount of the claim. They have only raised my rates a small amount each year.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I called to get a declarations page on our vacation home for the bank. I was told that I hadn't had a policy since 2014, over two years ago. I have renters in the house, and I remembered talking to Foremost to add insurance for that, which doubled the cost of the insurance, which is why I distinctly remembered changing the policy. They could not find a policy, not by our names, told me they can't look it up by the address. I actually believed them for a little bit. After making me jump through the hoops of applying for new insurance, I finally found documentation that I had insurance all along. I give them the policy number, they confirm that yes, I have a policy, paid up to date, send me the declarations page... for the canceled policy from 2014.

Now they have a sales person bugging me about my new policy, which I don't need because I already had one! I am so frustrated with this company. When I called in 2014 to change the policy to have renters, I called my agent listed on my bill. He told me he hadn't been with the company for almost two years, his name is still listed as my contact on the bills 4 years later. We have a contract on the house and I am counting the days that I no longer have to deal with Foremost Insurance.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

They come with different ideas, every billing cycle, to steal more money from you. If you are late one minute before paying, they will raise your rate, and keep it there forever. If you move, they charge you around $70, just because they can. And by the way, the new charge become due after you pay your bill, just in case that you may think that the rate is still the same, so you pay your insurance bill, then boom, there comes the second bill with the new charges. Just stay away from them and you will save yourself, and your wallet, a big headache.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

After hurricane Mathew hit our home in North Carolina, we promptly had an inspection done on our roof after our tenants noticed water running down the walls of the home. We were informed that a few shingles were missing, there was a hole in the plywood, and that the sand on the shingles was off. Foy's Roofing Company explained that it looked more like hail damage than wind damage, however the shingles that were missing was from the hurricane. He also explained that the holes in the roof was more than likely made by the hail caused the water to run inside and damage the walls inside the home. We them proceeded to call and make a claim with Foremost, and received a quick response.

After the adjustor went out and looked at the damage, and made the call that the roof was completely destroyed, but we were not going to like the news. He then proceeded to tell us that Foremost will not pay but a small portion to have it fixed, and also explained that they will not pay for the inside for the house because it was hurricane related and the roof was from a previous hailstorm. We could make two claims if we choose. My husband tried to explain that even though there was no shingles missing from the valley that it was leaking from, that the hail could have possible cracked the flashing underneath, he was not listen to that claim.

At this time we were under the impression that our deductible was 500 dollars as stated on our policy. This obvious was not the case, and we were told there was changes done to our policy (that was in small print) that we now owed a percentage. Our deductible went from $500 to $5300, that was just for the roof to get fixed, and we were told that Foremost was taking their portion, deducting the depreciation cost, and the $5300 from their estimate they come up with then we would receive a check. A total replacement of the just the roof will cost us $9800 Foremost has given us $1598 for the repair of the whole roof, and the inside will cost us out of pocket at $3000. We are so disgusted and disappointed by Foremost, and believe we have certainly been taken advance of by this company.

I believe this insurance fraud at it finest, and at a time like this it makes it even harder to fathom there is people out there that would intentionally steal people's money. We are former military, and have several friends getting ready to rent their homes out, I have given them different companies other than Foremost, Farmers and Nationwide, to use for insurance to keep them from getting take advantage of.

Original review: June 14, 2016

Since Farmers Insurance joined up with Foremost, the coverage is worthless and it basically covers nothing except earthquakes or fires. I read my policy and looking for another insurance that will provide my home with proper coverage without all the exclusions. Before you purchase your coverage read the policy and then ask your agent "Where is my home actually covered, and why would I buy this policy?"

Original review: May 19, 2016

Foremost Insurance Company was introduce to me by Pearl Carroll & Associates LLC a broker who deals with my Union to provide a variety of insurance policies. I recently purchased a new vehicle and the insurance company I initially contracted was high. I wanted something more affordable. Pearl Carroll & Associates representative presented to me, after getting all of my insurance, personal information a deal far less than what I was paying. After confirming with them regarding price and assurance from them that this was the price $456, I signed the contract.

A month of after Foremost started asking me to provide them with pictures for car, which I went to Carauco to have taken and faxed them the number that revealed it was done and the pictures will be coming thereafter from Carauco. Nevertheless they cancelled the collision on my car. When I called them they stated that it takes time for them to process their faxes and then confirmed that they did get it and would be putting my collision back on my vehicle.

However the price of insurance went down that went up to approximately $500 and they said there was nothing they could do to correct. There after they began to ask for declaration pages from prior insurance carriers, items such as ABS, Anti-theft, defensive driving certificate. Information that they was fully aware of at the beginning, nevertheless everything they asked for I provided. Yet they still hiked up my insurance from $456 to $680 stated I changed insurance carriers which they were fully aware of before they quoted the initially price. Maybe for some that price gauge is okay but it totally caused havoc to my life and to Peter. You know Peter is the other bills I had to take money from in order to pay Paul since it is illegally to drive without insurance. It was to be for 6 mos. and I did not change insurance companies so that I did not give the future insurance carrier reason to rob me.

An accident occurred and the collision place. Checked my insurance to ensure rental coverage which there were and set up a rental with Enterprise car rental which the car they gave broke down and after asking for another rental they instead sent Triple A which jumped the car and the car broke down again. After I called my insurance explained this to them which they did nothing. I called again and explained this to them again and asked them to setup a rental with another car rental company such as Avis or Hertz. Again they did nothing.

I had to set up a rental myself and pay for it with my credit card. How is it right to pay so much money for car insurance yet when the service that they are suppose to provide is not being provided. I did not rate my experience with this company because it was HORRIBLE. I would not recommend them to a friend; I would not even recommend them to an enemy. If I could find a lawyer in my area that deals in breach of contract I would take the money that I barely have to pay this insurance company and give it to the lawyer to sue them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

It seems to be a great insurance company. I have had it for 6 years now, and have never made a claim against it. It has the best price rates that I have found to cover mobile homes. On the down side, my rates keep climbing! I realize that there have been many fires, tornadoes, mudslides, flooding and other natural disasters in the past several years. But, why should I be strapped with the burden of paying towards other unfortunate people's claims! It is hard enough these days for a disabled person to just barely be able to afford to get by. I also, every month have to deal with continuously rising insurance rates as well. That is why this country's economy is in the tank.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

Pay our bill on time. Every month we are charged a late fee by our mortgage company. At the beginning of the year we always get our insurance dropped notice by our mortgage company because they are late with their payment.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I live in a hurricane zone in Louisiana, and a lot of insurance companies choose not to take people in our area on. Foremost has done so, and not at a crazy rate. The one time we did have to make a claim, they were very accommodating and really reached out to make sure we were comfortable until our home was fixed.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I actually have a mobile home and I obtained Foremost Homeowners Insurance through AARP. They are very easy to work with and offer affordable payments. I have not had any claims so I cannot speak to that. I was able to obtain immediate coverage over the phone. Because I went through AARP I also go a discount.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Way too expensive. Has went up every year for the last 15 years from $500 a year to over $1,000 a year. Really crazy. Been searching for a better company but haven't had any luck yet.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Foremost is a pretty good insurance. We been with them for a very long time. We only had to use the insurance one time so far. We had to put a new roof on. Call them and it wasn't too long after we call they sent us a check in the mail to put on a new roof. I would kind of recommend them. They are for mobile home trailers.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

Since we live in a mobile home, our insurance does not come for your typical insurance company. There are very few companies that cover mobile homes due to the risk involved. Our rates are pretty high for the amount of coverage that we have but, we cannot afford to raise the coverage. My advice to others would be to try and build or purchase a stick built home. It is not only safer, the insurance is less.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

This company is well worth the money - very accurate with billing, answering questions. We have had them for over 10 years. There has never been a problem. We have recommended to new residents in our trailer park. Everyone says the same thing. They are very happy. Their payment programs are very price efficient. They will recommend new things to you. New information comes all the time. The residents that we have referred feel the same way. I would not trade them for anyone else. Thank you very much.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

They are easy to work with, just wish they had better policies that includes pre-existing damage coverage on pre-owned homes. They do not cover leaking roof or normal wear and tear. Thought my home was covered and it was not. Only windstorm such as if the roof blows off or a tree falls in. If there is a named storm the deductible is higher. I have been a customer for 9 years.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

This insurance company is affordable. Their service is excellent too. You don't have problem talking to any representative. I am happy of being one of their customer.

Foremost Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Specializing in home insurance for people whose properties may not prove eligible for coverage with other companies, Foremost Insurance is licensed in all fifty states. Foremost partners with local agents so that homeowners can always receive face-to-face answers for all their policy questions.

• Primary homes and more: Foremost Insurance covers primary residences, as well as seasonal homes and secondary dwellings.
    • Flexible options: The company offers seven different options for flexible coverage, including comprehensive property coverage for physical losses not otherwise included in the policy and named peril and liability coverage for injury or accidents occurring to others in the home.
    • No depreciation deductions: Homeowners can elect coverage that provides for actual replacement without deductions for depreciation. This option can also include personal property and other structures on the property.
    • Extended replacement cost option: Extended replacement cost options increase money received after a loss by an additional 25%. Living expenses, replacement-cost coverage for personal property and additional coverage for high-dollar possessions are also available.
    • Higher deductibles, lower premiums: Foremost Insurance offers policies with higher deductibles and liability limits that lower premium costs. Convenient payment plans include electronic funds transfer and online payments, as well as mailing options.
    • Best for: Individuals with older homes, traditional homeowners and properties that have some cosmetic damage.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky