Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Help me decide

2.1/5 (56 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Foremost Homeowners

Foremost is an insurance provider that specializes in home insurance for difficult-to-insure properties. It’s most ideal for those with older homes or homes in areas prone to natural disasters. It offers thorough coverage and customization options.

Pros

• Comprehensive flood insurance
  • Ideal for hard-to-insure homes
  • Specialized homeowners insurance

Cons

• No set pricing structure
  • No online quoting tool

Bottom Line

Foremost's home insurance is a solid option if you have an older or high-risk home and are unable to get a policy elsewhere. It offers thorough coverage and customization options so you can find the right fit.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

Foremost Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

Original review: June 17, 2019

Have had for years. Had a rep come out to look at a possible Leak. Turns out never had one and never made a claim. They o get a letter saying to fix a manufacturer default in my outside metal Awning that was installed before I bought the home some 20 years ago. Well now they refused to keep me as a customer because of the gap between my mobile home and the metal awning. Now I have no leaks. Have never had any leaks. No made any claims for leaks but they still cancelled my policy. Beware. They never even reached out to tell me. Just kept taking my money. Worst company ever.

Original review: March 22, 2019

In January 2019, I made a payment over the automated system for $76.78. When I got my bank statement at the end of the month, their system removed $151.76 for January and February. I quickly called them up and told them what their system did and that I did make my payment ON TIME. I told them just to reimburse me $76.78 back into my account so all my checks I have already paid won't bounce. I told them to keep the other part of the amount and put it towards my January premium, it's that easy. She told me that was too confusing for her and billing, she said that she will just return back to my account the complete $151.78.

I told her that don't make sense since you already have the money in your possession, and that this is going to make my January payment late, she did it anyway. She said once I get the full amount back into my account, then I should call her up and make my Jan. pmt. I told her this is going to back up two months payment because it takes time for the bank to clear the amount and you caused me to be late on two months because I can't give you two months premiums out of one month, not enough money in account. I sent her the payment the second week in February to take care of January. I called her up to see if she got the money, she told me now I'm considered late in paying and still owe February.

I told her she caused all this mess making me late first because of her stupid automated payment recording taking $151. Instead of just the normal payment of 76.78, and secondly, reimbursing back into the account the full amount instead of just sending me back 76.78 and keeping the other amount for my January premium. They sent me a Cancellation of Insurance notice and that I must pay the full amount owed for February by March 29, 2019, or they will close my insurance. They also threatened me that they will call the credit company and the bank that holds my mortgage. I'm worried sick over losing my home because the bank will take it back, I have no place to live, I'm alone with no family to help me. I have to start looking for a new insurance real quick, no time to waste.

I have been with this company since I bought this house in 2004. All this was not my fault at all, but they don't care. My roof was damaged and water leaking on my ceilings from Hurricane Irma. They refused to pay for a new roof, told me the cause is an old roof with no maintenance, not true. I got a lawyer and he worked on the case for me and won the case. He made Foremost pay for the whole roof, paint my ceilings and pay lawyer's fees. This company won't pay for anything, they keep finding excuses why they don't have to pay, they are just good at taking a person's hard earned money real quick. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We had a very bad wind storm and I had some shingles blown off my roof and the skirting on my home was blown loose. I knew when I saw them in my yard. I called Foremost, and asked Bessie what to do and can they send someone out. She said for me to take pictures with my phone and send them to her. I tried, but my roof is black so nothing would show up. So I call Bessie again. Now she says for me to have someone come out and give me an estimate. I did, and the contractor sent them a bid.

Next thing I know, now they can send a live person out to look at my roof (which was what I asked for in the FIRST PLACE). So Steve the "live" adjuster says since I had some seals repaired on my roof, they will pay NOTHING for my roof. Did not even address the skirting issue. I have been with this company for 29 years and this was my second claim. ** poor treatment was given to me all the way around. Now I want to change companies but they've reported me to a homeowner's database, making it hard for me to find a new carrier. If a class action for Missouri starts I will help get it going!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We were insured by Farmers then turned over to the flunkies, Foremost. Had no warning of transfer. Have had Foremost for about 2 years, since I moved back to AZ to keep my house out of foreclosure, which was in Oct 2018, they have approved and canceled my policy 3 times. Every time it was something else that had to be done. I know when I came back, the outside was a mess, that has been totally cleaned up, not good enough. Then an incompetent inspector, reported that I have a garage door missing and has to be replaced, I don't and never had a garage.

Then I have to replace the roof on my PATIO, my patio does not have a roof. The roof they took a picture of is over a sun porch and another room, it has rolled roofing on it. The rest of the house has shingles. Then another boo boo was that there was some toys in the yard (two children live here), I really don't know where these idiots are from. We have had insurance with the 2 of them over 35 years, one claim, circuit breaker hit by lightning. Our payments have always been on time even when they increase price, for them doing nothing. Now my family of six is in a house without insurance. I am so glad others have had bad issues with this company also.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Stay away from these guys. Crooks. Filed a claim. The adjusters came out said he didn't see anything wrong but seen shingles replaced and water damage inside. This insurance company are crooked. Note people work hard for their money and don't want to messed over. So to make it simple and short if you can't honor what is rendered and due don't (BS) us the people.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Terrible insurance company. I had a small leak behind the wall in my laundry room. We found it when our subfloor started to bubble a little bit. They pretty much started to tell me that they were unlikely to cover it if it was old on the phone before showing up. The sheetrock was intact. There was a little mold that had begun to show. The floor was completely normal except that it had started to bubble. No mold, no rot, nothing. They said it was pre-existing and denied my claim. My cousin with a different company had almost the exact same thing happen and their company got them a hotel for 2 nights and got a water damage specialist in immediately. They were fixed and comfortable in 2 days. We are now having to do all of this ourselves. Don't use Foremost of Farmers. We are switching.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

The ONLY thing I can say about this Company is they are SORRY and WORTHLESS!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF AND NOT EVEN HAVE INSURANCE!!! Their employees should be ashamed to work for them!! WE have been a customer for 15 years and this was our first claim ever!!! My shower/garden tub was leaking underneath both of them and caused SEVERE BLACK MOLD!! They denied it and said it was a hairline crack from the tile in the shower!! So after they denied the Claim they dropped our insurance!! We have had an inspector come out for another opinion and he said, "How in the heck did they deny this claim and drop you!!!" But it is ok. We have a new insurance company and A LAWYER!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had noticed some roof shingles on the ground and called a roofer to examine the roof. The roofer stated that there was wind damage that blew 4 shingles off the front of the dwelling and 1 on the back roof. I submitted a claim to Foremost. The adjuster viewed the damage and said that the claim would be covered but only to repair, not replace the roof shingles. I said that it would look odd have some new shingles that would not match the older shingles. He said that they don't cover to match the other shingles. I spoke to a Supervisor and the first words out of his mouth before we even started to discuss the claim was that the adjuster basically wrote a great report and everything looks in line.

By the end of our conversation I learned that Foremost made an internal business decision to handle roof claims this way. So if you loose shingles off your roof don't expect a replacement, expect a repair only which will probably be under your deductible. Wish someone told me how they handled roof claims before I signed up for the policy. I will never use Foremost again and will let my family and friends know as well. So, if you have interior water damage to your ceiling is Foremost going to pay to repair the water damage and not paint the whole ceiling???

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. We recently moved out of our house in NC and still had to keep coverage until it sells. USAA set us up with Foremost. Even with the house empty of all our belongings it costs more to insure the house. We haven't had the policy a month and the refrigerator supply valve somehow opened itself and water got into the wall and down into the basement. The walls and wood flooring got wet. Just got off the phone with my claims contact and was told they don't cover it. If it burned or a car or plane crashed into it, it would be covered. Thanks for nothing. Avoid these shysters like the plague!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

Had Homeowners insurance for 9 months. No claims ever filed. Our mortgage company called and stated our Insurance was going from $2400 a year to $5900. I am thankful for Quicken Loans giving us heads up. They asked if we had filed claims and we had not filed even one. I can't get anyone from Foremost to respond on why this has happened. Outrageous. Shopping elsewhere and thankful once I find another company Quicken Loans will not pay them one more dime.

Foremost Homeowners Company Information