4.0/5 (84 ratings)

About Foremost Homeowners

Foremost is an insurance provider that specializes in home insurance for difficult-to-insure properties. It’s most ideal for those with older homes or homes in areas prone to natural disasters. It offers thorough coverage and customization options.

Pros

• Comprehensive flood insurance
  • Ideal for hard-to-insure homes
  • Specialized homeowners insurance

Cons

• No set pricing structure
  • No online quoting tool

Bottom Line

Foremost's home insurance is a solid option if you have an older or high-risk home and are unable to get a policy elsewhere. It offers thorough coverage and customization options so you can find the right fit.

Foremost Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Foremost Homeowners?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was out of town and hospitalized and my insurance lapsed by 2 DAYS. FOREMOST AARP would not reinstate my insurance and I had to have a new policy rewritten, for the same insurance the price was over $300.00 more a year. I have had insurance with Foremost for over 12 years at this location and never filed a claim. I have excellent credit, and feel I was taken advantage of by FOREMOST AARP. I had to drop the coverage amount by 30%, to get a similar premium as last year. They did have my age and gender and I feel FOREMOST AARP is taking advantage of women and the elderly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I would like to warn Foremost customers and those looking to purchase insurance. My experience with Foremost isn't good. I purchased insurance 6 years ago thinking I was covered on my property. I didn't find out until I had a claim. The claim adjuster came out wrote the claim, then I am told a little later that the insurance agent wrote up my policy wrong. It was written up as a tenant policy whereas I didn't have any furniture in the mobile home when agent visited to inspect the home.

I appeal the denial of claim by Foremost. I was told that they would respond to me about my appeal, the 20 days passed. Had to call adjuster back asking why I hadn't received information about appeal. Foremost denied my appeal throwing it back on agent. My mistake was thinking that my agent and carrier (Foremost) were looking out for my best interest. They passed the buck so everyone can point fingers at others. Insurance is a necessary evil. So those with policies with Foremost are warned, and for those thinking about purchasing insurance beware.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My partner and I recently purchased an investment property that we plan to renovate and then rent out or occupy. Being long-time Geico customers, we decided to choose Foremost Insurance since it is a partner company. At first, all went smoothly. We were upfront about the repairs we were planning to do and the condition of the property (perfectly inhabitable, but in need of TLC). Having purchased our plan and paid our premium, we left town for a month on vacation and came home to a notice that the company had cancelled our policy.

The reasons for the cancellation were minor damage to the roof and the presence of appliances on the property, both of which the company had known about prior to our purchase. We never received so much as a phone call or email to inform us of the alleged issues with our coverage, and when I called after we had received the letter, I was told there was nothing they could do since the policy had been cancelled a week prior to my calling. The agent I spoke to recommended visiting someone local to discuss our situation and procure new insurance. I sincerely wish we had done so in the first place.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Had 5 properties on a policy. Added a 6th with the tenant wanting to know if they could have an above ground pool. I contacted my agent and she contacted Foremost and was told it was OK. I then allowed the above ground pool in a 2 year lease. I then get a notice that the pool would have to be removed or they were canceling my policy. My agent called back and went up the ladder and spoke to supervisors. She basically was told that "Small pools (up to 2 or 3 feet deep) were allowed" They are losing all of my properties of which the agent found comparable coverage for much less money. When I called, I got an "I'm sorry". No stars from me, but I had to give one to leave this review. Beware!!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Have had for years. Had a rep come out to look at a possible Leak. Turns out never had one and never made a claim. They o get a letter saying to fix a manufacturer default in my outside metal Awning that was installed before I bought the home some 20 years ago. Well now they refused to keep me as a customer because of the gap between my mobile home and the metal awning. Now I have no leaks. Have never had any leaks. No made any claims for leaks but they still cancelled my policy. Beware. They never even reached out to tell me. Just kept taking my money. Worst company ever.

Original review: March 22, 2019

In January 2019, I made a payment over the automated system for $76.78. When I got my bank statement at the end of the month, their system removed $151.76 for January and February. I quickly called them up and told them what their system did and that I did make my payment ON TIME. I told them just to reimburse me $76.78 back into my account so all my checks I have already paid won't bounce. I told them to keep the other part of the amount and put it towards my January premium, it's that easy. She told me that was too confusing for her and billing, she said that she will just return back to my account the complete $151.78.

I told her that don't make sense since you already have the money in your possession, and that this is going to make my January payment late, she did it anyway. She said once I get the full amount back into my account, then I should call her up and make my Jan. pmt. I told her this is going to back up two months payment because it takes time for the bank to clear the amount and you caused me to be late on two months because I can't give you two months premiums out of one month, not enough money in account. I sent her the payment the second week in February to take care of January. I called her up to see if she got the money, she told me now I'm considered late in paying and still owe February.

I told her she caused all this mess making me late first because of her stupid automated payment recording taking $151. Instead of just the normal payment of 76.78, and secondly, reimbursing back into the account the full amount instead of just sending me back 76.78 and keeping the other amount for my January premium. They sent me a Cancellation of Insurance notice and that I must pay the full amount owed for February by March 29, 2019, or they will close my insurance. They also threatened me that they will call the credit company and the bank that holds my mortgage. I'm worried sick over losing my home because the bank will take it back, I have no place to live, I'm alone with no family to help me. I have to start looking for a new insurance real quick, no time to waste.

I have been with this company since I bought this house in 2004. All this was not my fault at all, but they don't care. My roof was damaged and water leaking on my ceilings from Hurricane Irma. They refused to pay for a new roof, told me the cause is an old roof with no maintenance, not true. I got a lawyer and he worked on the case for me and won the case. He made Foremost pay for the whole roof, paint my ceilings and pay lawyer's fees. This company won't pay for anything, they keep finding excuses why they don't have to pay, they are just good at taking a person's hard earned money real quick. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We had a very bad wind storm and I had some shingles blown off my roof and the skirting on my home was blown loose. I knew when I saw them in my yard. I called Foremost, and asked Bessie what to do and can they send someone out. She said for me to take pictures with my phone and send them to her. I tried, but my roof is black so nothing would show up. So I call Bessie again. Now she says for me to have someone come out and give me an estimate. I did, and the contractor sent them a bid.

Next thing I know, now they can send a live person out to look at my roof (which was what I asked for in the FIRST PLACE). So Steve the "live" adjuster says since I had some seals repaired on my roof, they will pay NOTHING for my roof. Did not even address the skirting issue. I have been with this company for 29 years and this was my second claim. ** poor treatment was given to me all the way around. Now I want to change companies but they've reported me to a homeowner's database, making it hard for me to find a new carrier. If a class action for Missouri starts I will help get it going!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We were insured by Farmers then turned over to the flunkies, Foremost. Had no warning of transfer. Have had Foremost for about 2 years, since I moved back to AZ to keep my house out of foreclosure, which was in Oct 2018, they have approved and canceled my policy 3 times. Every time it was something else that had to be done. I know when I came back, the outside was a mess, that has been totally cleaned up, not good enough. Then an incompetent inspector, reported that I have a garage door missing and has to be replaced, I don't and never had a garage.

Then I have to replace the roof on my PATIO, my patio does not have a roof. The roof they took a picture of is over a sun porch and another room, it has rolled roofing on it. The rest of the house has shingles. Then another boo boo was that there was some toys in the yard (two children live here), I really don't know where these idiots are from. We have had insurance with the 2 of them over 35 years, one claim, circuit breaker hit by lightning. Our payments have always been on time even when they increase price, for them doing nothing. Now my family of six is in a house without insurance. I am so glad others have had bad issues with this company also.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Stay away from these guys. Crooks. Filed a claim. The adjusters came out said he didn't see anything wrong but seen shingles replaced and water damage inside. This insurance company are crooked. Note people work hard for their money and don't want to messed over. So to make it simple and short if you can't honor what is rendered and due don't (BS) us the people.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Terrible insurance company. I had a small leak behind the wall in my laundry room. We found it when our subfloor started to bubble a little bit. They pretty much started to tell me that they were unlikely to cover it if it was old on the phone before showing up. The sheetrock was intact. There was a little mold that had begun to show. The floor was completely normal except that it had started to bubble. No mold, no rot, nothing. They said it was pre-existing and denied my claim. My cousin with a different company had almost the exact same thing happen and their company got them a hotel for 2 nights and got a water damage specialist in immediately. They were fixed and comfortable in 2 days. We are now having to do all of this ourselves. Don't use Foremost of Farmers. We are switching.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

The ONLY thing I can say about this Company is they are SORRY and WORTHLESS!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF AND NOT EVEN HAVE INSURANCE!!! Their employees should be ashamed to work for them!! WE have been a customer for 15 years and this was our first claim ever!!! My shower/garden tub was leaking underneath both of them and caused SEVERE BLACK MOLD!! They denied it and said it was a hairline crack from the tile in the shower!! So after they denied the Claim they dropped our insurance!! We have had an inspector come out for another opinion and he said, "How in the heck did they deny this claim and drop you!!!" But it is ok. We have a new insurance company and A LAWYER!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had noticed some roof shingles on the ground and called a roofer to examine the roof. The roofer stated that there was wind damage that blew 4 shingles off the front of the dwelling and 1 on the back roof. I submitted a claim to Foremost. The adjuster viewed the damage and said that the claim would be covered but only to repair, not replace the roof shingles. I said that it would look odd have some new shingles that would not match the older shingles. He said that they don't cover to match the other shingles. I spoke to a Supervisor and the first words out of his mouth before we even started to discuss the claim was that the adjuster basically wrote a great report and everything looks in line.

By the end of our conversation I learned that Foremost made an internal business decision to handle roof claims this way. So if you loose shingles off your roof don't expect a replacement, expect a repair only which will probably be under your deductible. Wish someone told me how they handled roof claims before I signed up for the policy. I will never use Foremost again and will let my family and friends know as well. So, if you have interior water damage to your ceiling is Foremost going to pay to repair the water damage and not paint the whole ceiling???

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. We recently moved out of our house in NC and still had to keep coverage until it sells. USAA set us up with Foremost. Even with the house empty of all our belongings it costs more to insure the house. We haven't had the policy a month and the refrigerator supply valve somehow opened itself and water got into the wall and down into the basement. The walls and wood flooring got wet. Just got off the phone with my claims contact and was told they don't cover it. If it burned or a car or plane crashed into it, it would be covered. Thanks for nothing. Avoid these shysters like the plague!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

Had Homeowners insurance for 9 months. No claims ever filed. Our mortgage company called and stated our Insurance was going from $2400 a year to $5900. I am thankful for Quicken Loans giving us heads up. They asked if we had filed claims and we had not filed even one. I can't get anyone from Foremost to respond on why this has happened. Outrageous. Shopping elsewhere and thankful once I find another company Quicken Loans will not pay them one more dime.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Foremost will not reveal what actually is covered. If you question them too many times, on top of being late due to emergency, they drop you, fearing a claim, and without notice. 30 years with them and boom theft in my opinion.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We have had this insurance for the last 10 years, living in a mobile home you are very limited as to what company you can find to insure with. Foremost is a horrible company, we had a power surge that resulted in our outside air conditioning unit to be damaged, and also had electric damage to the inside electrical panel. Our home was unlivable in this Texas heat in June. We made a claim on Tuesday and no one called until Thursday afternoon.

Sent all information and pictures as requested, was informed that no adjuster would be coming out to inspect the damages; that this claim would be handled via phone and email -- Foremost main office is in Michigan, first problem 1.) it's VERY HOT IN MY HOME, my thermometer is at 97 degrees inside of my home... 2) a air conditioning independent specialist would come and inspect the unit... well that's good but what about the electrical panel inside the home. This person comes -- looks things over, emails his report to Foremost who then sends that report to someone in North Carolina, who determines if the unit can be repaired. Really?

So this person in North Carolina has made the determination that this unit can be rebuilt, and only has allowed 1000.00 to do so, I am beyond angry... I still have to have the house panel wiring and wiring to the unit repaired. And Foremost has only offered 1000.00$ (after my 1000.00 deductible). DO NOT INSURE WITH FOREMOST.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Constant rate increases no claims. Always excuses as to why. Supposed to be affordable but not. Never send bill on time and don't post payments timely. I wouldn't recommend.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This Foremost Company has always been easy to work with and they have great customer service. Luckily, I have never had to file a claim with them but I am sure they would do great working with us. Also the price they charge is GREAT. We cannot get it for any less.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Want 2K deduction for claims. I got Foremost after I made 2 claims with Pekin Insurance over an 8 year period. They canceled me and I had to get new insurance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My experience with Foremost Insurance has been nothing but frustrating and a headache starting with the agent who does not return phone calls or the Adjusters who will not return phone calls and as well as the claim process. I have paid Foremost Insurance over $850 for 18 years and I made a claim due to lightning damage to my roof and to the back of my house I was told that my damage altogether would cost over $7,000. Foremost Insurance settled with me for less than $650 claiming that the depreciation was why I receive so little. It is useless to dispute the claims because Foremost Insurance Auditors itself on disputes you will not win in a dispute.

My agent will not return phone calls the adjuster will not return phone calls. Once they have talked to you they do not want to speak with you anymore concerning any disputes you have concerning the amount of the claim or the amount of the check that they will issue. I don't know why anyone would have insurance with Foremost because your house or trailer literally has to burn down to the ground in a pile of ashes before you can receive anything that's worth being compensated for. Don't make the same mistake I made by trusting these people. They mean you no good and they will deliver you nothing good. Stay away from Foremost Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

On September 27, we had a fire in our laundry area. The entire mobile home sustained fire damage. It took five days for the first adjustor to come out. He was at the house four hours then told us he couldn't handle the claim because it was a large loss claim. So I don't know why they sent him out and what he did for four hours if he wasn't even qualified to be there. He also brought along an Origin of Fire expert who was also there four hours and said the fire started in my washing machine motor. Nothing at all for another week when they sent out a large claim adjustor. He spent about five hours in the home. He also brought along an engineer and the Origin of fire expert again. The two of them were there about five hours, moved the washer and dryer back into the house to take pictures then took them with them when they left. That was Monday and now here it is another week and still nothing.

Every time I call they say they are still investigating. It's been three weeks and I'm tired and stressed out. They did put us up in a hotel but it is no vacation. Our dogs who we love dearly are in a kennel which is breaking my heart. It just feels like they are trying to drag it out until they can find a reason not to pay the claim. Meanwhile, I have sent them receipts for 21 days of meals, replacement clothing, toiletries, etc. and I have gotten back $43. One receipt from October 6. This company is the biggest joke I've ever seen.

We've had homeowners insurance for over 30 years and prior to this filed one claim for tornado damage that was settled within a week. We had to switch to Foremost five years ago when we bought a mobile home in the country and they were the only company that would cover it. We purchased our policy through AARP/Foremost. I am just so disappointed in Foremost. They should have had a qualified adjustor at our property the day after the fire, not five days later, then another seven days to get someone qualified out there. They just keep dragging their feet. I have spent the past three days crying and no one at Foremost seems to care.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Had numerous policies for years with Foremost since they insure Mobile Homes. Finally had one claim, adjuster was brand new, her Supervisor finally took over due to incompetence but he was Swamped. Jumped through hoops, got a partial settlement and dropped all the insurance. That's it in a Nutshell... It's poor insurance, get rid of it as soon as you can. It's only gonna Work for you if you have A DISASTER.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We had paid this company for approx 20 years. When we had water damage by Hurricane Harvey they came out (private husband and wife team contracted to Foremost). She looked at the water damage on the ceiling and walls and door entrance, taken the pictures and left. She sent a letter saying the water came into our home due to foam that was placed where the two separate roofs meet. The roofs are metal with a overlap to the additional room added. She stated, that it acted like a sponge and she seen this before and that was our fault so we were denied denied denied.

Harvey happened Sept. 2017. We were sent a response letter stating not covered wind, hail side winds, hurricanes, typhoons, tornados, rising water, scorching (FIRE). Our insurance declaration was very vague when purchased from the agent. But in the Declaration it will say for further info about your policy see (A1partc Example). We and all are lead by deception. But when you have some damage and file a claim they are quick to show A1partc to us. YOU Turned out we never had insurance!!! Not covered scorching (Fire), tornados (wind), hail ect. THEY ARE AS BAD AS Bernie Madoff. YOU, WE AND I are truly being swindled. They use words of many meanings so it can be structured to benefit THEM (I will never have ins again). These are true criminals.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I moved from Michigan in 2009 and turned my former home into a rental property. An agent from Farmers Insurance, the parent company referred me to Foremost which handled landlord properties for them. In 2012, the renter called and said most of the siding had been ripped off one side of the home in a storm. He said he would do whatever he could but I should call the insurance company because it was severe. I pay $872.00 for my policy and have had it for nearly nine years. I live in Arizona so I rely on this company to keep my home from damages. They came out, took some pictures, and said there wasn't anything wrong with the house. The renter had tacked the paneling back up the best that he could but the underlying damage was never fixed. It has come off several times since 2012 and the renter would try to put it back in place. Recently he said that he couldn't get it to stay on anymore and that I better call the insurance again.

I made another claim online and they sent a claims adjustor out a few days later. They have never called me but I received a letter today denying my claim since they say the damage has occurred over the last five years since making the first claim. My house is small, only about a thousand feet and I estimated the cost of materials to fix it, excluding the labor, at about a thousand dollars total. I conservatively priced the cost of house wrap, plywood, lumber, vinyl siding, and drywall generously computing more material than needed. Just one insurance payment would have covered the cost of materials and they turned me down. It doesn't make sense to me but after seeing all the bad reviews, I can see why this company is getting extremely low ratings. They seem to place a higher priority on profit than customer relations.

I've already paid for another full year but you can rest assured that I will not be renewing. Let this be a warning to other Landlords if you have Foremost right now or may become a landlord. This company will not pay claims and their insurance is high compared to most other homeowner's policies. Why pay the big price when they avoid servicing claims? If you have this insurance right now, I would be very careful about considering a renewal.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It took me over 1.5 years to get a refund for my premium after I canceled the policy (months before it renewed and they charged me regardless). I wrote to them repeatedly. If they treat you this crappily when you pay them I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get them to pay out a claim. Utter garbage company, avoid at all costs. If I could leave fewer stars I would.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I had a fire on 4/24/2017. My home was totally unlivable. Foremost sent Service Masters out that day to explain the "process" of drying out the water damage & cleaning and packing anything salvageable. SOUNDS GREAT HUH. Well Foremost paid this wonderful process out of my $30k contents coverage which maxed it out. So I don't get reimbursed for most of my contents. The adjusters and higher ups have been EXTREMELY RUDE. The $20k additional living expense was cut off on June 17. ALTHOUGH they did pay 4 months on an RV that is parked in my driveway. I live 12 miles out in the country with 6 dogs, two cats, and livestock. THEY said I was being unreasonable because I refused to have my animals boarded. So no additional living expenses for eating out, laundry, the extra trips I have to make to town because the RV has a tiny fridge.

BTW the insurance company also had a dry cleaner come and pick up anything cleanable. BOTH cleaning companies required me to sign an assignment of benefits that the insurance company would pay them direct. Foremost said that was a contract between me & the cleaners. However, the bills were sent directly to the insurance company without me having any idea how much they charged. The adjuster said they would review and pay what was allowed. A total of almost $40k. They paid $6300 for having $3000 worth of "cleanables" cleaned??? My entire pantry was burned out and those items were depreciated 50%. Everything else was depreciated 30%. Due to their creative accounting that depreciation is not recoverable.

I have $100k on my home but am using some of my savings trying to get everything back together. The contractor is progress billing me but Foremost is yet to make any additional payments. I hung up on the adjuster after five weeks when he continued to be rude and not allow me to speak. The adjuster's boss immediately called me back and I told him I was too angry to talk. Of course he wanted to TALK, I told him I was so angry I would drive 60 miles and beat the crap out of his adjuster if he didn't just let me cool off. My policy has been cancelled and now I can only talk to their attorney.

Foremost is owned by Farmers Group. If your insurance has FARM in it anywhere it's probably owned by Farmers. BEWARE if you have a significant loss... YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED as you would expect to be. IF I had a mortgage on my home I probably would have received better compensation and treatment. It's unfortunate that BIG COMPANIES are so willing to take your money but they don't stand by you when the chips are down.

Original review: July 24, 2017

In the past I had no problems with claims being looked at in a speedy fashion, but it is the hottest it has been and can't get someone to look at problem. Let me explains. Heat pump gets hit by lightning on Saturday. Sunday take camper to park to stay cooler and pay for a week. Call in claim on Monday tell them my story and they want to pay for a motel room not camp site which is lots cheaper. I have no cell service in campground and told them to text me and I would check phone and call them. So that set up an appointment on Friday from 1-5 in the afternoon and call Wednesday. Tell me the company that called couldn't come until Monday. I was a little upset, to say the least.

Well on Monday morning checked my phone and they tell me the person was at my home to check the heat pump. After telling me someone would call ahead of time to schedule or be there, I had no other phone call. So the mess was to call when I received the message and so I did and no one answered. So waited a while and called back. Young man explained he was sorry and he would schedule and let me know. So I wait in heat at home for someone to give me a time and called to find out that it will be Wednesday the day I have to have my camper moved back from campground at 8 am. And check out time at campground is at 10 am. Not enough time of take down and come home.

So called my adjuster back and they are out of office until Wednesday. And someone else would check phone call and call me back. Well it 4:40 and no one called. Even got a supervisor's # and no calls back before I go back to campground with no service. It's only 90 degrees people and I'm running out of money and time. My job don't work around you. Maybe they don't care. So my advice is maybe find you a different company to get your insurance with. Seems this one is washed up. Thanks for your time. If you do deal with them you should record it yourself.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Auto Insurance - Foremost County Mutual Insurance Company and affiliate of 21st Century Insurance company opened a false claim someone place on July 14, 2014 against me (claim # **), although my wife and I refuted the claim and proved that this was false and I was not even in town during the reported accident. A representative to company sent an email stating they agreed that the claim was false and not paid but this information is still being pulled up by different companies as a claim on my husband's record (it is now showing twice as two claims). My wife and I have been fighting this for two years and thought it was cleared up until recently when I attempted to get a quote from another insurance company. At this point I am getting desperate since this has caused my insurance premiums to skyrocket.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I made a claim a few year ago and there was no hassle. Someone came out and looks over the damage. Foremost Homeowners gave me money on the spot. It turned out it wasn't enough money for the repairs. They did give me more money with no hassle. I had a AARP membership so I didn't have to pay out of my pocket. They just deducted it from the amount of the claim. They have only raised my rates a small amount each year.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I called to get a declarations page on our vacation home for the bank. I was told that I hadn't had a policy since 2014, over two years ago. I have renters in the house, and I remembered talking to Foremost to add insurance for that, which doubled the cost of the insurance, which is why I distinctly remembered changing the policy. They could not find a policy, not by our names, told me they can't look it up by the address. I actually believed them for a little bit. After making me jump through the hoops of applying for new insurance, I finally found documentation that I had insurance all along. I give them the policy number, they confirm that yes, I have a policy, paid up to date, send me the declarations page... for the canceled policy from 2014.

Now they have a sales person bugging me about my new policy, which I don't need because I already had one! I am so frustrated with this company. When I called in 2014 to change the policy to have renters, I called my agent listed on my bill. He told me he hadn't been with the company for almost two years, his name is still listed as my contact on the bills 4 years later. We have a contract on the house and I am counting the days that I no longer have to deal with Foremost Insurance.

Foremost Homeowners Company Information