3.52/5
Based on 1,298 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

04/11/2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

04/13/2019

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

5625 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

Updated on 05/09/2019: These guys again promised publicly to call and GUESS WHAT? NO PHONE CALL!! They notified ConsumerAffairs we have resolved dispute. No way, not even close! By The way they are on their 4th visit to fix my fridge and it still don't work. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I dare you to publicly answer instead of your private chats so people think you fixed or did something for your customer. I am sure they will offer me a small stipend to replace my quality fridge for a "similar", cheaper, not the same brand, "whatever is in our warehouse" to save money guarantee.

Original Review: These guys are a joke of a company. They lie and lie all the time, they do not call you back even after numerous promises to do so, even by a supervisor (which I was told by phone that supervisors do not make phone calls. Only take call transferred by an employee). THEY scheduled techs to come out at their convenience and even had a total stranger show up to your house, no concerns or cares that I work nights. They do not cover your appliances like they say, and even want to charge $75 per appliance when it is not necessary to do so. They will ask what brand you have because they need to send an EXPERT, which any expert can fix most appliances, but it gets better!!!!

When they can't fix your appliance you get a "Similar functional appliance", and not the same brand!!! So much for keeping your appliances the same brand!!! Even when they have to replace beware, they do not replace your same appliance and brand. I had a Whirlpool oven/range ($700 value on sale). They offered me $513 to cover a NEW range, or take cheap quality instead. Which in their eyes is OK because you're getting a similar appliance, even though cheaper in quality. I have had to make over 4 phone calls for my fridge and the same for electrical problems and start from scratch as employees never put work order. Hilarious that all calls are recorded but no one knows why order not put in 2x. Nor can they seem to listen to previous phone calls or read account noted from previous calls. Save your money and time and go elsewhere as these guys do not care one bit for their customers.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Richard. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We will have a representative reach out to you to discuss. Also, our records indicate that you have an appointment scheduled for today to diagnose your kitchen refrigerator. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Our home came with a premier plan to include Septic when we purchased. Our heat went down in December, it was under 20 degrees at night and low 20's during the day. 4-5 calls later and 4 days later, we got our heat fixed. It was exhausting and and frustrating. I have health conditions, this call was marked as "URGENT" per the claims agents. I told the tech that we had no airflow in our upstairs and he didn't do anything about it. I have a fireplace upstairs, so it was fine. Now it is May and 90 degrees outside, my A/C doesn't work upstairs. No airflow. 94 inside my home. I not only have to pay the deductible again, but I can't get anyone out until Monday.

I called Thursday before 10 am. My body doesn't regulate temperature, I have Reynaud's and Sjogren's. I can't be too cold because I get cold anyway and have broken my ankle due to losing feeling. I also don't sweat, and am prone to heat stroke. None of the agents seem to feel this is urgent and one told me, they just don't have many companies to work with. Well...that is a problem in itself!

While on the phone making my claim, I asked about renewal since my warranty ends next week. The price was $300 more than what it was originally. I checked around and found there are a lot of cons to this company and more consumer complaints than others. I found Select Home warranties, they called me immediately, gave me a veteran discount, provide better coverage with higher limits and were 1/2 the price. They provide same day emergency service or let you choose your own company and they reimburse.

First American said they may not reimburse if I choose my own company. They have to approve it. I just paid $2100 for a 6 year warranty with no cancellation fees and refund of unused portion should I not be happy with the service. That right there is a testament to their value. I also have a $45 service fee instead of the $95 per call I pay for First American. First American is AWFUL. They don't have the resources they need to provide technicians, no emergency service, bad customer service, and more expensive for less coverage. I am currently hot, cranky and I don't feel well. Goodbye First American.

Hi Heather,

Our records indicate that Charbonneau Refrigeration reported that the contactors and pressure switch located in the condenser has loose connections that have since been repaired.

Also, the ductwork located in the attic are cutting the air flow due to being too long. The ductwork would have to be replaced. Per your home warranty contract, improperly sized ductwork is not covered. Please refer to the contract, under Ductwork, Not Covered. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I used this company for 12 years for two properties. For first nine years, this company was very reliable and good. In last three years this company has become a rip off. They do not provide prompt or good service. They send technicians to look at each problem and collect their call out fee of $75 without performing a service. They must report back to company to verify if it is covered then set up another appointment to do actual work. This process is long, drawn out and at times I never heard from technician again once he got my money. So glad I have finally left this company. I kept waiting for things to go back to way it used to be but instead has progressively gotten worse.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I've had a home warranty before, and I liked the way First American looked. I've heard about them through a friend and then I chose them because the other provider I had would not pay and stick up to their rules. I even got my son signed up with the other provider and then they would not do what they were supposed to do when he had problems. So, I dropped them and took up First American. Submitting a claim is very easy and I'm still with First American because they send quality workers out. Everything has been great so far.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Klyce for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: May 1, 2019

We have First American for 9 years now. They do good work and they seem to get good people to take care of your issues. Their timeframe on claims and the ease of submitting one has gotten better over the years. The technicians I’ve worked with get back to me within the allowed time, which in many cases is one to two days and usually are ahead of that. I recently had a leaky toilet and NW Sundance Services came out for that. It started leaking again a little bit later and I just tightened it a little bit, seemed to stop it, then it started leaking again. So, I called and asked for somebody else that knew what they were doing. I had to pay the extra 70. The next company that they sent out did a fine job and the gentleman said it looked like the other company forgot to put something. So, I’ve not had any trouble since.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Chuck for your feedback and for choosing First American.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: April 30, 2019

After giving my "OK" to take on the MANY uncovered costs, First American waited 12 days to relay that information to the contractor. So here we are - late spring in Oklahoma - with no air conditioning unit. I called today for an explanation/compensation for the time wasted and had ZERO help. The first man to take my call was rude but forwarded me onto his supervisor - Eli **. Eli refused to give me anything other than his supervisor's first name (George). Evidently George is too important to be bothered. So, after 6 years of paying approx 45 dollars a month, my money spent and customer service isn't worth talking to the higher ups. Ditching this as soon as my A/C is EVENTUALLY repaired. I'll be paying nearly $3,300 out of pocket, btw. They don't cover any modifications, so God forbid you have an older home...

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Tiffany. We thank you for your feedback. At this time, the equipment has been ordered. Once received, the contractor will be contacting you to schedule an appointment for completion.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We signed up for First American five years ago when we first got our house and we had it for about two years. But every time I put in a claim, they would say that they don't cover that. It was like they cover electrical but not lighting or the outlet. But where else would electrical be if not the outlets? So I kinda got tired of them not dealing with anything I submit, and I let it go for a couple of years. But when I got my tax refund this year, I decided to restart the warranty.

If you have any issues, the warranty is not too bad for the price. It's $62.50 a month for me. It's funny because I asked the rep to go ahead and take out all of the money all at once. Instead, she just took out $62.50, and I didn't realize it until after a month. I still have an extra $650 in my account. I'm just paying a monthly fee and I asked to have it all taken care of with my tax refund money that I had in my bank.

We had a claim last week for a plumbing issue. My plumbing got backed up. One night, we heard a loud wobbling noise, and the toilet started having trouble flushing like it was stocked up. Also, it started leaking around the bottom. It was at 10 o'clock that night when I submitted the claim, and the contractor was out there the next afternoon. That was the first time we ever had a plumbing issue, and apparently, they were able to fix it outside. They said there was a port that they were able to access outside to unclog it. First American's warranty is worth it.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jeremy. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Our A/C went out during the night on 4.13.19. Placed a claim the following day, 1st time we've ever made a claim. The first contractor called 3 days later at 3pm and said they could be at my house in 10 minutes. I work further than 10 min from my home so I asked if I could meet them there at 4pm, "no we can't hold the tech up that long and not sure when we'll be back in your region". First of all, this appt was never made so to call someone and say we can be there in 10 min and then get upset like I did something wrong because I turned down being there because I don't fly a jet plane and can't make it there in that short of time.

Secondly, "my region", why would they contract someone that's 5 hours from my home when I live in a city of 90k and there are HVAC companies all over. That was Tues, she said ahead have to check availability and call me back, by Friday I had not heard from her and no answer on the number that I was called on. I called FA, to be told it's been routed to a company so had to wait for their availability. So I wait, Friday morning I call FA to say "Hey we are now 6 days down and no call/appt nothing and we are going into the weekend, I need service!".

They send out another company, this guy shows up with a helper, spends 10 min in my house, says "Yep your motherboard is fried. Need a new inside unit" proceeds to tell me that it's highly recommended to change both the inside and outside unit at the same time and that he could order the outside unit today and install it all at one time, my response was "but you just said it was my inside unit and the outside was fine so I'm sure home warranty won't pay for the outside". "Oh no maam. The outside will be at your expense but I can get you one for $4200". "Um no. If I could afford to pay you $4200 to replace something that isn't broke I wouldn't be paying for a home warranty".

So after I finally tell him no I'm buying anything above what my warranty is going to cover and what's broken he sends his helper in to look at the inside unit, the tech proceeds to walk around my front yard in circles talking on his phone "what sounded like a personal call", smoking cig and throwing his butts on my lawn for 45 MIN! So I finally go out and interrupt him to say, "Are ya done with this appt, if so you can smoke in your van because for the last 25 mins of your phone call me and your helper was inside making small talk waiting for you to wrap your call up." They leave, he calls again that evening asking if he could put me on a payment plan for the outside unit would I be interested in having it, "No I don't need a payment plan, no I don't need/want you to come take my functioning outside unit and replace it for a new one!"

I call Monday to check the status of the ordered new unit, he states he's waiting on the part. I place a call to the warranty co, at this point we are a week and 2 days with no A/C,(for the people that don't live here, 11 months out of the year is a/c weather). The warranty company says the parts been ordered, waiting for contractor to pick it up. I also make a complaint about their hired tech approaching me like a used car salesman trying to cram an outside unit down my throat and the poor customer service while he was at my home. They didn't seem to care about that.

So the tech calls at 6 pm on Tues saying he could be at my house in 30 min to install, my 1st question is how long is this going to take? His response 3-4 hours, so you are saying you want me let you install my inside a/c on a Tues night at 630 and could potentially be inside my home until 10pm. No, pretty sure my husband won't go for that being that he gets up at 3 am for work not to mention this doesn't even sound like real life at this point.

Well I don't have anything again until Sunday afternoon. Um ok I guess I'll take it at this point my warranty co has paid for the unit, you have picked it up and they are telling they won't send another company out to me. As odd as it sounds to have an a/c man installing at my home on Sunday afternoon it's better than during the week at night. "Oh and by the way it's going to be $350 not the $200 previous quote" my response was, "But you and the warranty company told me last week $200 so how has it nearly doubled?" His reply is "there are other things that needs to be done that your policy doesn't cover".

So called FA back, yes he submitted for more work and we don't cover that. So my question now is how did he submit for work, get approved and parts ordered and he's called in for more approval but hasn't been back to my house, I could see if he was in the middle of the install and came across something. He's now adding things because I won't buy the outside unit! FA only response was "Sorry maam but he's the professional and we go by his request". So Sunday comes, I call at 1 pm to see the status of my appt, he answers and his response "Oh Mrs. ** I've been meaning to call you today, we had to go out of town yesterday for an install and didn't get home until late last night and my guys are worn out, we aren't going to be able to make it".

So at this point I'm near boiling temps, I've gotten the runaround and no help from my home warranty, I've had to do all of the leg work to get this done and now he can't be here! I'm no longer a priority because he couldn't sell me a new outside unit! So after complaining to him about this whole disaster he says "let me see if I can't round up some help and get out there, I'll call you within an hour"...

430 PM and no return call so I call FA back talk to another supervisor. The supervisor reaches out to the tech, no answer. So I'm told by 1st American he's going to document all of this but unfortunately the tech already has the equip and was assigned to the job so I'm at the mercy of the contractor. So now it's Monday no install appt yet.

Moral of story First American Home Warranty contracts low grade companies for repairs and leaves you to do all of the communicating and when you don't feel you are getting proper treatment from a company that you've trusted your insurance to hire you are told "Sorry. Nothing we can do at this point". This morning I called another a/c company to see how much it would cost for a new indoor/outdoor unit $4200, new indoor unit $1200. So for what we are spending for this home warranty, the out of pocket $350, $75 service call and $500 portable a/c unit from Best Buy last week (because I came in after work to it 84° inside and my dogs overheated) I could have spent a little extra and had a/c weeks ago and a lot less headache. Can't wait for my contract to be over!

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Some friends recommended First American Home Warranty to us. We used them for 6 years and they did a great job. Then they got spotty, sometimes refusing to cover a repair that is clearly covered. Now they are really really bad. I have two houses on First American. Three summers ago, I went two months, yes two months with a broken a/c unit waiting for them to repair it. I didn't tell them that I have two units and live in the part of the house with the working unit. I dug my heels in and said I'm not paying a third company to fix the broken unit. I was very nice to them and called every week or so begging them to fix the broken unit. I finally broke down and paid another company #200 who fixed it the next day. I'm sure that's what they wanted.

Then when my friend's a/c went out recently, First American told them their account was cancelled and they wouldn't fix the unit. The excuse was too many claims. But, I looked over their claims and they looked normal to me. Not excessive. First American didn't wait until the contract was over, they just cancelled my friend's when they needed a repair.

Then my a/c unit went out a month ago and they claimed the repairman said it was all mangled on the inside, someone rewired it and put in parts that didn't belong. They refused to fix it. I called another repair company who said they were lying. The a/c unit had a broken part but was not mangled in any way. I've paid over $600 for my own repairs and am cancelling First American.

They have made a few decent repairs. The repair company came out and pushed us hard to pay out of pocket for useless heater cleanings. Another pushed dishwasher cleaner fluid monthly at $50 a bottle. But the repairs got done. Don't ever buy extras out of pocket for additional work. If you want a company to not do repairs or dump you when you need them call First American.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 29, 2019

Initially, First American was fine. We had a few bad experiences and right now, they're doing well. But I need them to do well for a long period of time. Back in November, we had an issue where something was going on with the sprayer leaking, and the plumbers that were sent out needed to order a part. It took them almost a month to order the part. In the meantime, we got a big leak going on. It caused a lot of damage to our subfloor and First American was not gonna cover any damages that occur because of something that happened. However, that damage wasn’t there until the leak occurred. We could’ve avoided that damage if the contractor had come and fixed the problem but then they left us hanging for a month. After that, we hired somebody else to fix the problem. First American reimbursed us for the contractor who we called in. But they did not reimburse us for the entire replacement of the subfloor. So, that was a huge issue.

Another issue with plumbing that we had before was that our hall toilet wouldn't flush. We called a plumber out. It was the same company that came out on both plumbing issues. The plumber said they couldn't do anything about it because it was possible that there was a toy stuck in it. My husband had to bend down and try to figure out how to fix it himself after that. We also had to buy a part.

We also had a small issue with our kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. I requested a different plumbing company because I did not want the same company coming back out again. First American sent out a different plumber and he was very respectful, courteous and cleaned up his mess. He came out and fixed the problem right away.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Khadijah. Thank you for your feedback. We value and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My mom had First American Home Warranty. I experienced her having it. I know that there were a few things that she used the insurance for and that was the only reason why I have it now. I have yet to submit a claim, but from when my mom had it, their reps were good at helping her out. They were great. My mom worked a lot when I was younger so every time that the technician showed up to do anything, I was always the one that let them in to do it. Almost every five years, we had an issue with our plumbing. This last time, they fixed it completely. But every time we were having issues, we’ve always been able to get ahold of them. They always helped us out in a timely manner.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Roland for your kind words. We value and appreciate your feedback!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2019

If I was to give First American a review for their performance over the last two years or so, it would be zero stars. Because, I assume, they pay their contractors so little, they are less and less able to find contractors to work for them, including for plumbing, pool/spa repair, and appliances. I had one repair that took about 4 months, and one recently that took over two months. That last one was for a pool filter pump during the winter, when a number of nights were below 20 degrees, which could have frozen the pipes. First American contractor a plumbing company, not a pool repair company, and that contractor replaced the wrong pump (no wonder they have an F rating with the BBB). To polish it off, First American did not renew my contract, I believe because I had to file complaints against them with the BBB and the NC Attorney General's Office. I highly recommend NOT doing business with First American.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We have had ongoing issues with our A/C unit for the last two years. The first contractor FAHM sent out just filled the unit with more Freon or "vented pressure". I never had to do this with my unit in Florida. Finally, when the "fix" failed to resolve the issue I reopened the service ticket with FAHM. Well, it takes 24 hours for your ticket to reopen in the system to which I got an email that it could take 48 hours for your contractor to call you. Not one of these times has a contractor ever called me. If you call FAHM about that all you ever hear is "You can call them yourselves". We never got a response from contractor, fortunately for us fall arrived and temperatures dropped. That ticket sat open for 6 months with no contact or follow-up from FAHM. I finally requested it be closed and opened a new one when spring arrived and we needed the air again. I requested a new contractor, which FAHM did oblige.

The new contractor came out and "vented pressure" again after telling me he could not find anything wrong with the unit. It worked for 1 day before the upstairs was registering 81 again instead of the set 72. We reopened the ticket and this time my wife called FAHM the day after we got the email that the ticket was reopened. She called to see if the other unit could be looked at since it was having to try and cool the whole house with the other unit failing.

In our first house, our old company used to let you add on as long as the additional issue could be worked on by the same contractor. The FAHM representative said no we could not request that since it was not in the written request my wife originally submitted. She also told my wife we just reopened the claim, despite getting the email the day before, and if we wanted someone to come out, we needed to call the contractor ourselves. It did not matter that my wife explained that our infant and 3 year old had to sleep in the basement just to stay cool.

I called the contractor and it went to voicemail saying that it was full and not accepting new voicemail. I logged into FAHM’s website and left this note, only to be reassigned back to the first AC company I didn’t want. There is still no resolution to my AC issue and no one has come out or called in the last week since I reopened the ticket.

Finally be aware the contract states you can only cancel 30 days after the start of the year renewal. FAHM does not send out notices about renewal so you will have to manage you’re the date, and if you have a claim during that time you’re stuck with a non-cancellable year-long contract and better luck next year per their contract.

Hello Jarret,

Thank you.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We’ve never dealt with a home warranty before but got one with the purchase of our most recent house. It seemed like the prudent thing to have so we continued it beyond the initial contract. Our first time using the service has been frustrating, time consuming and now disappointing. Around a month ago we had our HVAC cleaned and inspected as recommended by First American. Our service person identified leaks in the evaporator coils. We declined service and contacted First American since we have a warranty with them.

The warranty service designated professional came out and confirmed that both our indoor and outdoor evaporator coils were leaking. He was able to “bandage” our system by using a sealant & a step up capacitor to get us up & running until permanent repair could be authorized... First American closed the work order as completed.

After having our case re-opened, the same company, same technician came back out to verify what he had already documented. We eventually heard back (from the service provider, not from First American) that our system was beyond repair & required complete replacement. They also advised us of $1400 worth of “uncovered” expenses, which after our contract review was actually more like $860. We concurred with the $860 out of pocket and were told we were waiting on the equipment to be ordered & a call for the install.

After not hearing back for a couple days we called requesting an update. Our return call came & the First American employee informed us that our air handler exceeded their maximum so they are electing to give us cash out option instead of repair. This might be acceptable if the cash amount even came close to what our actual expense will be. Instead of fixing our air conditioning First American is paying us barely over $2700 for a complete 2 ton air conditioner split system with hydronic air handler. Our cost is likely to be around two to three times that. We are beyond disappointed in the service provided by this warranty & will be looking at other options for the future.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I submitted a claim with First American for my dishwasher and so far, my experience with them has been really bad. I wouldn't recommend them to a friend. The first time someone came out and looked at the dishwasher, the guy said he couldn't fix it because it was old. So, they ordered me a new dishwasher and I had to wait a week for that. Then, another tech came out and he said that he was not gonna be able to just take the old dishwasher out because a valve had to be put in or something in the house needed to be changed out. But he didn't fix that issue. After that, another technician came out on Friday. He said that he couldn't fix the problem because whoever came out should have taken a picture of the part because the part that he had did not fit.

Although different techs came each time, they talked with each other because when the first one initially told me what needed to be done, I wasn't gonna be able to explain it. So I let him tell the office about whatever needed to be done. Still, the issue hasn't been fixed and my new dishwasher has been sitting on my kitchen floor for about three weeks now. The techs are supposed to come out today and I had to take off work for that. And I don't work near my home.

Original review: April 25, 2019

DO NOT waste your money on one of these home warranties! I am a real estate professional and have sent them a lot of customers in the past. I got a home warranty for myself on my home, and after being in the home discovered a major plumbing backflow problem. I had a professional plumber take a look at it to explain to me exactly what the problem was. He told me to call my home warranty company to do the job since it was covered. They sent out a very unprofessional plumber who ignored my requests when I tried to explain the issue to her.

She did not complete the job and stated she would not charge me. However, about a month later I received a bill in the mail for a $75 service charge. On top of that, the problem worsened, and I now have sewage backing up into my sink. I called First American assuming they would be more helpful with the situation and at least remove the $75 service fee from my account, especially considering the worsened problem is going to cost me $1,000+ at this point. Their customer service representatives were very rude and kept interrupting me as I was trying to explain the story. They had no interest in helping whatsoever. They would rather make their $75.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2019

I had a different warranty company but I wasn’t very happy with them. Then I saw First American Home Warranty's advertisement saying that they were the number one company. I went with them and so far, I’ve been happy. I submit claims over the phone and the representatives are good. They’re knowledgeable and they’re aware of my needs. They are prompt too. I pretty much get a hold of somebody within 24 hours. But I wouldn’t be too happy about the people who come out. Although some of the contractors are good, some of them are not so good.

When my air conditioner broke, the guy who replaced it didn’t use a crane. He used a ladder then a couple of guys tied the unit with rope and hauled it up the ladder. That was how they dented my gutters. Then about a year later, when the air conditioner wasn’t working well, First American sent out a different guy who said the unit had been installed incorrectly. Other than that, I also had to have three people come out and look at the same issue with my toilet. The quality of the service people who come out needs to change. Completing the job to my satisfaction has been a problem. But other than that, the technicians have been all right and as far as the coverage, I’m happy with First American. They did pay for the unit when my air conditioner broke initially and I was appreciative of that. That was the reason I kept them as a warranty.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Josefina for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with a review. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Original review: April 23, 2019

The Heater system goes on and off correctly however it blows in cool air before the air warms. This was a real bother to me when sitting next to vent and getting cool air when temperature outside was low 30's! Serviceman checked everything thoroughly and explained cool air is normal part of the heat/mechanism. Heater mechanism does heat air coming in eventually.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Chet/Sue for your feedback.

Original review: April 23, 2019

First American Home Warranty covered a claim and had a new air cond. unit installed in 2009. We started having problems with leaks in our bathroom a few months later, coming from the roof where the unit was installed. We didn't even stop to think it could be the installation that was the problem. We tried to repair the roof several times the last few years to no avail. Finally, this last time we hired a roofer and he said the Air Conditioning unit was installed improperly and was causing the leaking. The roofer had to install a plank under the unit to even it out. In the mean time, we have major damage in the ceiling of our guest bathroom. The people responsible are Barry's Construction; 1732 Avo Way, Manteca CA 95337.

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you.

Original review: April 23, 2019

First American enrolls low-quality contractors and gives them an exclusive arrangement, so when poor quality work is done on your claim they simply refuse to send someone else. FA won't tell you this is how they operate and will instead repeatedly tell you the lousy contractor needs to be given 'another chance'. When the contractor for a garage door repair never returned to finish the job I spent 6 weeks calling FA going in circles. The phone reps are useless and no one at FA ever followed through to get my claim resolved. I gave up, cancelled my contract and called a handyman to install a $15 part I bought online.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Submitting a claim with First American over the phone is fine and their follow-up is thorough. Everything with the contractors who have come out has been fine as well. They've been respectful of my property when they come in. I've only had one issue where I had to wait a week for parts, but that was about it. I would recommend First American Home Warranty.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Julie for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: April 22, 2019

In December of 2018 I called to have a built in Ice Maker and Refrigerator repaired in my Bar area. It was covered under the additional Refrigeration addendum. After 4 months an multiple phone calls, First American decided that both units were not repairable. Our maximum payout for this addendum is $1000. First American quoted a section of the contract that states "Homeowner and Buyer may agree on payment of cash in Lieu of repair or replacement. Payment will be made based on Company's negotiated rates with its suppliers, which may be less than retail." "In accordance with this provision you will receive a check in the amount of $827.99."

This makes absolutely no sense. The cost of replacement is over $2500. It appears that someone randomly used this segment of the contract to justify reducing the payment by $172.01. There is no correlation between the above language and my payment reduction. First American will use whatever method they can to reduce your contractual payment. I intend to pursue all legal means to get my full payment at whatever cost. This is the only way that they will stop this predatory practice. Be very wary of using First American.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Someone recommended First American to me and I think he was pleased with them so I got them too for security in my property. So far, I have had a good experience when submitting a claim. It is easy especially when I do it online and I'm always contacted the next day. We have also been blessed with the contractors showing up in a timely manner. They have been all okay.

A couple of years ago, they sent out a contractor for the dishwasher and it took him a while before he could be here. When he did it, he had to order something which took him a couple more weeks. He said he couldn’t find the serial number or model number, so he wasn’t able to order the part and that he was gonna get with First American. He was bad about calling back if I called to ask him anything. I called and told First American not to use the contractor anymore and they never sent the guy back out. The next thing I know, First American told me that Sears will be coming and that the first contractor could not repair my dishwasher. I recommend First American. Their reps are professional, knowledgeable and easy to speak with if I have to call in.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Stacey for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to servicing you again in the near future.

Original review: April 21, 2019

When we purchased a house in North Carolina, the sellers gave us one year of the home warranty from First American as a gift. Our experience with them has been fine and the reps we worked with have all been wonderful. Two weeks into it, our dryer quit working. It was confusing at first because I didn’t realize that you couldn't just call your own person, that you have to go through First American and they assign someone. Once we figured it out, it was fine. The guy came out right away and fixed it in no time.

I then had another issue with the heating system and same thing, the one heating guy I had was right there in my town and they were highly recommended, but they're not one of the ones on the list. So, I had to use another which was fine, they did a fine job. But they were more expensive. While I'm gonna re-app with First American when my home warranty expires, I would suggest that if they have a homeowner that's familiar with their area and they have an issue, let them price it out. For instance, if they had someone that they wanna use, let them compare the two prices, and then, the homeowner could get their preference of the repair person.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Barbara for your review. We truly appreciate it.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I bought a house and one of my friends told me about First American. It’s easy to submit a claim. I usually do it online or call someone. The reps on the phone are professional. I have no problems with them. But it takes a while to get a response from the provider. But the few times I've used them, it hasn’t been a big problem and it was taken care of.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Dorrien. Thank you for your review and for choosing First American.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Updated on 04/30/2019: I wrote a review on April 20, 2019. Today is April 30, 2019. It is still not resolved. I keep getting the runaround. My case officer will not and has not answered a single call from me. They are suggesting fixing it by Friday May 3. This will make this claim about a month. This is the second “estimate” I have received. It will go over a month if not resolved by next Monday. This is not a good way to keep Tenants. I just want this resolved and it is very obvious that I am not a priority at all. If it goes to Monday this will equal two full months out of five for this year with no HVAC. This is a horrible experience.

Original Review: This company was provided with my rental home when I purchased it. So far I have had 4 calls on the same HVAC with only 9 months. The first time the company replaced my thermostat with a used thermostat. Then I had to have it replaced with another call. Each time I had to pay for the service fee. Then my HVAC went out in the winter time. It took a month to fix it. The average temperature during this time was below freezing. My tenants were furious. They finally got it fixed but now it is down again. This time I have been waiting 13 days.

It still is not fixed and they said it could be next week when they fix it. They say the part can take 5-7 days to get in. They just ordered it two days ago even though I started my quote 13 days ago. This company is totally inconsiderate of time. I believe they should take American out of their name because it provides a disservice to country. I have a strong feeling that this HVAC will break again after the bandaid repair and I will be waiting another 30 days for it to be fixed. The incompetence and unwillingness to fix something in a timely fashion is having a negative impact on my business.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Both of your servicemen who called on these two orders were punctual, polite and effective. I must give extra praise to Alex, who has now called on us twice and was able to manually repair the failed device without needing a second call. He is an amazing diagnostician of problems.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jane. Thank you for your review!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I use First American Home Warranty (FAHW) for my house and pool. During the year period, I had several issues with my AC and pool. More specific, the coils in the AC unit rusted and leaked metal flakes into the drain lines. This also caused the drain lines to clog and overflow. The overflow caused water to leak into my ceiling causing extensive damage. When the tech submitted a report to fix the coils, the total came to $3k. My out of pocket expense was $2k and the cost to FAHW was $900. I had to pay to install all the other parts necessary to get the unit to work with the coils including ductwork, disposal, Insulation, etc...

FAHW only covered the part, not the work to make the unit work correctly. This is NOT specified in their coverage and is up to interpretation on their end. They do not cover any secondary damage to the ceiling or other damage caused by the water leak. To me this is unacceptable. They refused to pay for getting the unit to "work" with the new coils.

When I tried to discuss this matter with FAHW the agent was rude and belittled me with responses like "You obviously don't understand your policy" and "if you had read this before had we wouldn't be having this conversation". I STRONGLY recommend choosing another company. This company does the least they can and have inconsiderate and apathetic agents. Obviously, we won't be renewing our policy with this company. STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 19, 2019

Samsung refrigerator repair. Bought house in November. Unit worked, after a month it partially worked. Would freeze then defrost every other day. Sears technician came, fixed what he thought was problem, he came back and suggested the main board was not working, ordered a new unit. Another tech came and installed it in February, it did not work, still another tech came and suggested that the board was not working, new board ordered and installed in March. It now works and has not defrosted once since then.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Richard for your review. We look forward to servicing your next claim.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had a very poor experience with First American. My water heater started leaking and their tech said it needs to be replaced. He said it will cost me $535 out of pocket because the modifications are not covered. FA said they are paying the plumber $622 for parts and labor. Plus I paid $75 for visit charges. So cost of replacement through warranty is $1232. My local plumber quoted $800 for replacement. Why should I keep warranty. When I asked how much they would pay me for cash out they said $501.50. So they would pay their customer less than the contractor. First American is total rip off. Stay away and hire your own contractor.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information