Protect what matters most

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

57 Farm Bureau Homeowners Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

Avoid this insurance unless you enjoy paying increased premiums every year. When I asked they claimed I was getting a better deal, that other companies would charge me more. After 3 increases my premiums were double than when I first started. I stopped believing their lies and went directly to another insurance which quoted me a premium of about 70% less. I switched and now am trying to get my prepaid annual premium back from them. They claimed it was sent directly to my bank but my bank claims it should have been sent directly to me. When I call Farm Bureau they say "I have someone in my office I have to hang up".

Original review: May 14, 2019

I got insurance from these guys for my apt. I canceled on the SAME DAY! I still get charged and I got refunded $74 dollars less than they took from me. They didn't refund me right away because I they wanted to see if I was going with someone else and they can compare coverage. They don't need that because I had canceled when I signed, it didnt come into effect until weeks later. Called customer service and they said my account was activated for 6 days and I got charged $74 dollars! You kidding me? If I could rate you a 0 I would.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

This company is unbelievable. My sister caused a problem at the Union City, TN office because she was mad at my Mother and they cancelled all her insurance without any written notice. Wish I could sue them. I became her POA in January and we received NO written or verbal communication they just stopped taking her monthly payments out of her checking account. What is even worse Mom is in the nursing home and I found out Friday they had cancelled her supplemental Medicare insurance. No notice I was told by the nursing home.

Mom and my late Father were with Farm Bureau for almost 50 years. The more horrible thing is that they did NOT cancel my sister's insurances with them. What is that about? I am on a mission to stop anyone from buying Farm Bureau of any kind. I also have found that State Farm is 100% better. They do NOT prorate your roof when you need a new one. Hope that very soon there is no Farm Bureau because they always cheat their oldest customers. Horrible.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We expected our insurance company to protect us or represent us from a frivolous trespass claim with a slightly senile neighbor. Claim and representation was denied even though we have $1 million umbrella policy. We had to hire our own attorney. Then when our yacht moored in Lake Ponderay suffered engine room damage in spite of our best efforts to prevent freeze damage we were denied again with an agent who could care less about covering our loss and using an exclusion in our policy that essentially renders our boat insurance worthless and probably best we didn't suffer a total loss on the boat as it would not have been covered either… In short after two claims, both of which were denied and would've been covered by any other insurance I am spending my $4000 a year in policy coverage anywhere else! As far as I'm concerned, this insurance company is good only until you file a claim and then they have proved worthless…

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We have been with Farm Bureau since we bought our home in 2014. We didn't filed a claim until this year when a pipe burst under our home and caused water damage to the subflooring causing a huge weak spot on our floor in the kitchen. The linoleum flooring is the only thing keeping people from falling through. We filed a claim, we were low balled and sent a check for less than half of what it would cost to repair. We filed a supplemental claim and was told we would not be charged an additional deductible since it was a supplemental claim attached to the initial claim.

That was a lie. They charged us $1000 both times and deducted "depreciation" costs both times as well. The supplemental check was barely over $200. Icing on the cake the agent (Tucker) who was suppose to give his estimate, still has not sent it to us so we can send it with the check to our mortgage company to be signed and here we are 2 months later with a hole in the floor and a worthless check because a lazy agent is never able to be reached, never returns calls, allegedly is never in his office and has yet to do his actual job so we can fix our floor before one of us or or 6 kids falls through and gets hurt. I would not recommend this company or that agent to anyone. We will be switching to a more capable company with agents who have better work ethics. I would not even give this company a 1 star but I had to rate in order to submit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau Homeowners?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I didn’t think a company could disappoint me more than Comcast. I should have looked up reviews for Farm Bureau before purchasing my home, car and life insurance policies with them. They denied my roof claim two years ago. I had to come up with $10,000 to fix the roof and damage inside. I guess “it wasn’t storm damage” so it wasn’t covered. Today, I was informed that my basement flooding wasn’t covered. If a pipe burst and flooded it though, it would be. Favorite quote of the day (it’s early, there’s time for more) “ Your policy literally covers everything but the exclusions.”

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We have had Farm Bureau Homeowners insurance for at least 10 years. We never had any claims. This is the first time we have had a roof damage to fix and they are not willing to pay it. They claim it is not rain or wind damage, oh what could it be? Did the squirrels chew on it. I am very disappointed with the company and I am ready to switch insurance companies. For the years we have been paying and using it I thought we are entitled to getting our roof fixed. We are going to withdraw all our insurances with them. Car, home everything. What is the use of having an insurance company if they only suck up your money and fulfill their job when you need them. :(

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have had home insurance through GA Farm Bureau for over 30 yrs. My policy payment was due on a certain day. I asked if I could pay them 4 days later instead of that particular day. I had been sick but they would not take that into consideration. All they cared about was the money. What would have 4 days more mattered considering my situation.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Farm Bureau has good coverages and they have a best rating of A+ which is a top rated insurance company. It covers homes with wood stoves which is great. I just wish they have lower premiums carrying the same coverages, so that it does not cost me so much money. Since claim frequency is low, the premiums should be lower. Still, they have good customer service and quick claim service. They have the lowest price for home insurance in the area of my home, too.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I like Farm Bureau Insurance Company, we have used it and it has paid well. I chose this policy because it was a good value and a trusted company. Mom and dad had it so I got some for myself as well. We have been pleased with this company. However, if you do not live in a home they will not pay. This is not something you think would happen after paying them for so long. Please pay whether you are there living it all the time, we do pay our premiums. But other than that, Farm Bureau has been there when we needed it most. TRH insurance was very helpful when my mother was hurt and died because of it and had to be on a respirator for several days before she died.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

All in all I did have a good past with Farm Bureau Insurance. This was until I needed them. The adjustor came to look at the problem, glass broke on the storm door. Adjustor said he would replace the door, hard to find specialty size, etc. And pay for the glass clean up. Said it would be around 700 dollars, acted like it would all be paid. This is when I learned without my knowledge my deductible had been increased without my knowledge to 1000.00. I trust the insurance to be honest, but mistake. I called the agent and was told it was increased several years earlier due to some tornadoes hitting somewhere in the area 6 or 7 years earlier. Said I should have been notified, of course should of been never happened, that I remember.

They took it on their own to up the deductible price stayed the same for the year. I usually just pay and go on, you know you cannot trust the insurance, you hear so many bad things. Yes they were always nice to me when I paid my yearly auto, life, homeowners, and membership. Just do not file a claim. If the take it on their loan to change their deductible, it seems they would do it on any of their products, medical insurance, Medicare supplement policies, auto, it has been an awakening. Read all the print, I want to go over my policies to see if I have any coverage that is worth what I pay. I put my trust in them, so they feel they can do what they want. Lesson learned! I don't see where they have the right to change my deductibles, and not lower my homeowners.

The adjustor was arrogant, and had me under the impression that things were covered, then got smarty, and told me they up you decide titles in that area, and nothing was paid, had me going for over a month acting as thought payment, clean up, and replacement was happening, knowing all along nothing was going to be paid. When I called the office they were quick to tell me as though they had had many calls over the last year's of people that were not aware of the deductible Farm Bureau took on their own to increase.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have Farm Bureau and we had storms for 5 days where I live and it knocked my retaining wall out. They hired a engineer come out who was paid to help Farm Bureau come to conclusion that it was my fault. I've only been in my house 1 month and they won't fix my problem. Wonder how much they paid engineer to come up with for them. So if you read this people I say find another company that will actually be there when you need them. Instead Farm Bureau is just there to steal your money. Thank you Farm Bureau for not being there for me. What a wonderful company. You are a joke and scam artist.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

When I started with FB insurance they were very willing to write my policies and a great price that was in June 2018 and then in August 2018 I got a cancellation letter that they were cancelling my HO insurance, Due to "an existing hazard adjacent to the dwelling, outbuilding exposure on the premises, and physical condition that clearly present an extreme likelihood of significant loss." When I finally got an answer to why they told me I needed to paint my detached garage, they would only insure my house. Why it took them 2 1/2 months to decide this and had no problem taking my money.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have had insurance with Farm Bureau over 30 years. Very very few claims. They are all Kissy lovey when they’re taking your money. I had wreck September 2017 and right away they were showing your true colors. Had shingles blew off my house June 2018. In all those years I only had two roof claim on my house. Years ago they paid in full for a new roof. Now they want to fix one little area of my roof. I’m going to be out the $2000 deductible I’m sure. Next time something happens to my roof they’re going to consider roof as being damaged. I should’ve gotten a new roof and I’m really mad. I’m going to blog all over the Internet about how sorry Farm Bureau is!!! Should never be a loyal customer! When they kick you down it hurts more because you’ve been loyal! Stay away from Farm Bureau!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I was a member of Farm Bureau for over 30 years. Moved to the woods and had 3 claims in 3 years, when it came time to renew my policy they kicked me to the curb. 2 of the claims were small ones and should never have been filed but the agent told me to file them. One was my freezer went out and I lost everything, the other one I can't remember. The last one was a biggie due to a ice storm we had. But how can you take a client that has been with you for over 30 years and kick them to the curb, as far as I can remember these were the only claims I had on my home.

Because of this I had to go to high risk insurance thru my Mortgage Company for about a year before I could get someone else to take me as a client. I have been so so upset about this ever since this has happened. You pay and pay for the insurance but when it comes time to use it they don't want you to. This is for the Farm Bureau Insurance Company in TN.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been a faithful Farm Bureau member for over 14 years. I have only had two minor claims in all that time. This past spring, we had heavy snows followed by heavy winds - tornadoes touched ground less than 35 miles from me. I had wind damage to my garage top. The adjuster came out and said the roof was old, it didn't have a cap on it which allowed the wind to get under and rip it. In short, they denied my claim, and they have been super hard to catch up with since then. I made a counter offer that I'd pay for half the roof, and I still haven't heard from them. The counteroffer was made on June 8th, 2018, and it is now June 30th, 2018. They will not respond to my e-mails either. You can bet I will not purchase another policy from Farm Bureau. You think you have insurance coverage, and then when you need it, you don't have a dime's worth of coverage.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I never had a problem with a claim or anything with them. Great insurance reps and no hassles, they cover almost anything on and in your home. I will always use them.

Original review: June 5, 2018

In March of 2016, Direct line winds took the center of my flat roof off, it rained for the next 90 days causing my home to flood every single day. Everything I owned was soaked, dropped ceiling tiles soaked fell sending debris and belongings flying everywhere. April, a FB adjuster came out and spent 45 minutes on the roof and walking thru my home, then May 2016, I received his first estimate, WOW what a shock, his estimate including my $9,815.00 deductible came to 32,000 dollars, he left off 2 bedrooms, kitchen and a hallway. I complained of the facts and after awhile now June of 2016, I received his 2nd estimate, upped to 40,000 dollars, still left off the same 2 bedrooms, kitchen and hallway. He told me that 40,000 dollars was a lot of money for a 1200 square foot home. "Zack," I said, "I'm sure it is, but, I don't happen to have a 1200 square foot home, I have 3370 square feet."

The roofer and my adjuster got together, as he only had 10k in for the roof, the roofer gave him an invoice for 22,200 and agreed to do all the other repairs inside my home for the 6k on insurance estimate. WOW again! 3 Contractor's bids for $229K to $249K to make all the repairs, meanwhile, I am living in tubs, the brand new roof leaked and FB's adjuster refused to acknowledge the scope of damage and the quality of materials, my policy, replacement cost.

I wrote the VP in Waco a letter, the same day I received the 4th estimate, (the roofer brought me the 3rd), I sent all 4 to him along with my letter letting him know of the wide difference of damage, his adjuster's unwillingness to change his estimate and if this young man had done other folks like he had done me, then shame on them - adding this undue burden on top of living in total chaos for now going on 1 year, where was the good faith and willingness to make me whole again.

According to the VP it was not usual to change adjusters but they did not like hearing some of the reality of what was in my letter but they would assign a more qualified and experienced adjuster, he would be in touch. Oh he was, Guy made several trips to my house, he wanted to go over the estimate that was at 65k now. Trouble with the estimate, my 47 linear feet of kitchen cabinets only showed 12 and they were in the dining room, hall was included in the sitting room and still 2 bedrooms were missing along with my 5 inch stained baseboards, crown moldings and boxed beams, no ceiling tiles or insulation or paint for walls...hmmm.

I had given up trying to sort out my house line by line on this unreadable estimate. He never had the dimensions of a single room right. From looking at it, it wasn't my house they were estimating and combining rooms didn't help either. With the help of a friend we measured and drew a diagram, which I sent to the new adjuster. He NEVER made one change on the estimate, he would go back to his office and after couple of weeks call and come out again, replaced one bathroom, 6100, both bathrooms total 11,000. Here's the paid invoice, he left, still no change. 110 days before my time limit he came, sat down, "I've good news and bad news, we no longer want to go by the line items (they ruled everything). They are just too much, we want to negotiate." WOW. Well, I'm not in a negotiating mood, I want to be made whole, just like I was prior to the damage. Guess we will have to go to court.

He went back to his office going to see what could be done. A month passes, well we know where that's going, March case closed... So I sent a Demand for Settlement, damages 20% beyond insurance limit qualifies it, 4 weeks before his manager, Daniel invokes Appraisal, okay, I send him my adjuster's info, nothing, more nothing, I send email, haven't heard anything, him: he'll be in touch.

Day before deadline I have to file a lawsuit, 2 weeks later I hear from his adjuster, he will be out next week, WOW you should see his estimate, up 20K but still 120K apart. He didn't try to replace my damages with like products, Travertine countertops, nope, he said Formica. Don't know how he expects to pull cultured marble out of a bathroom and put it back, but I guess you can do anything on paper!

FB has been the worst experience ever. I wouldn't do business with them if they were the only game in town. They have not tried to make a decent estimate to repair my home. I paid them for 10 yrs. They have breached their duty and contract, adding unreasonable burden and expense. Their Appraisal adjuster's note sent with his estimate...ready to go to the umpire? Go figure, and he named the umpire! So we shall see, I have a lawsuit and all of this should have been taken care of within a timely manner, hmmm.

I only hope that they each and every one have something as devastating happen to them and walk in my footsteps for as long as they make me walk in theirs. Good faith, timely manner, they need to learn the definition. The public needs to know how these companies behave and cheat you. What a fraud the Tx Insurance Commission is, like the State Bar or Banking Commission. If you have a valid complaint of illegal performance from an entity, they write them a letter asking the culprit to make nice, waste your time another 30 to 45 days and send you a letter stating, There's nothing they can do, we ask them to make nice and they said no. False sense of security, so buyer beware, stand up for yourself, pray for honest help and not get raked over the coals in the meanwhile. Sad this country's sunk so low. How do people sleep at night or look themselves in the mirror, I don't know.

This is common practice I have found, Harvey swept thru and endless counties of people, thousands of people, 30 cents on the dollar, what can you do with that? Can't rebuild, struggle to pay the bills that keep coming, add expense to play the insurance companies game, add more to go to court, pay a lawyer and hope he's worth the money. Good luck with other companies but I say stay away from Farm Bureau, they don't care about anything but your money!

My reason for this review is to disclose Farm Bureau's full intent is to not fully pay their claims, to not communicate and drag out your claim, limiting your options; to sue if need be is over, they are experienced and count on your honesty, ignorance or goodwill, and know you are living in chaos while struggling to repair or rebuild without them dealing in a fair and prompt manner, deliberately letting weeks go by without contacting or following thru, making you the bad guy if you do. I would rate them a tip of a star if I could, they don't deserve a whole star.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been with this company since 1986 and all of my claims were handled promptly and fairly. The office staff makes me feel valued. I have a new agent, but so far I am pleased.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My mother-in-law had a catastrophic malfunction with her washing machine on April 5 that has required her to move out of her home, because her home has become a construction site. My husband and I have been living with her as we are in the middle of building a new home and moving across country. She has been a Missouri Farm Bureau customer for 30+ years without submitting a single claim. We have been told by contractors that they will not replace the tile floor without adding cement board. MFB has told us they will not pay for the cement board because it would be an upgrade. When the floor was installed, cement board was not used in this process and now no contractor will touch the job without it and MFB won't help us locate a contractor to follow their guidelines.

The kitchen is completely torn apart. MFB told us to eat out, then, after we turned in receipts, told us they would not pay for food in certain areas, at certain restaurants, and they don't pay for taxes. There is ONE restaurant in the small town near the home. It is not Burger King. We were also told that they may not pay for our hotel, have offered us minimal assistance in locating a home in our rural area, and refused certain housing accommodations. By contrast, we had a house fire last year in Minneapolis and State Farm is our insurance. They helped us every step of the way and they did not try to Nickel and dime us. When I spoke with Mike ** at the MFB home office he explained this by telling me how small MFB was compared to a nationwide company.

I have to say, my in-laws chose them because they were small and hoped for more personalized service. Once we get through this miserable experience, we will be changing companies. We will tell anyone who asks that we would never use Farm Bureau and cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone. By the way, the coverage for the house, over $450,000!!! Why this company doesn't allow their clients to remain whole through a crisis is beyond our imagining. Overall it has been an incredibly frustrating experience and it isn't anywhere near over.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I've been with Farm Bureau Louisiana for one year. I am a new homeowner and did not know if I report a claim it affects my credit. Stay on my report for five years even after I PAID the cost for repairing damages. They basically screwed me over and I will never recommend them to anyone. I had my car, home and five life insurance policies. Well they knew back in August 2017 they would drop my home. However the agent did not want to inform me because the company and him was getting my premiums money for life insurance.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had auto and home insurance. My payments (a set amount) were to be drafted out of my checking account. However, each month, my bill would be something different with no explanation. Finally out of frustration I asked them to stop drafting out of my account and to give me a total that would carry me to the end of the contract year. At that time, August, I was assured no more drafts would be made. I paid the amount to cover both auto and home thru the end of the contract, using THEIR figures. Even so, they still sent me another bill for something that was not explained.

On Sept. 30 I canceled my policies and asked for a refund of money owed me. The cancellation was official on Sept. 30 yet in November they drafted a random amount out of my checking account AFTER I had canceled my policies with them. I finally received a refund on the amount of the contract but did not receive a refund on money fraudulently drafted out of my bank account or for dues for 2018 (I canceled in 2017). I filed a complaint with the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner and finally received a determination that they had violated no statutes.

Farm Bureau pulled the same ploy in their response that they did with me: razzle dazzle 'em with reams of paperwork that no one is ever going to wade thru. So they are getting rich swindling little people like me $80, $35, $125 at a time. I was told by the Ins. Commissioner that I could hire an attorney. Yeah, I can surely afford an attorney to sue them for $88 when that $88 is the difference in me paying the gas bill or buying groceries. They count on us being defenseless. Shame on you, Farm Bureau of Louisiana.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We have been with Farm Bureau since we moved to this area 17 years ago. We had dogs when we moved in and still have dogs to this day (we are surrounded by woods, no nearby neighbors). We never had any issues with the dogs and we never filed a claim with Farm Bureau for any reason. In 2011 the area was hit by some tornadoes but we were not affected. Farm Bureau sent someone out to check our property and take pictures anyway. We never heard anymore at that time.

Recently, they sent someone out again to check the property and take pictures but there were no storms preceding this visit. Following the picture taking, they sent us a list with repairs which we had completed to the tune of over $400.00. I am not saying the repairs did not need to be done but I would have preferred to have them done at a time when I would have more money available. I called and told them the repairs were completed and they supposedly stopped by to check but I did not see them. I then received a letter stating they wanted me to call them about the dogs.

I called and assured them the dogs have never been an issue, they are fenced in the yard and I do not have any of the types of dogs that insurance companies do not want such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, etc. I thought everything was okay at that point and then I received a letter in the mail letting me know my insurance was cancelled. There was no explanation given in the letter. My husband and I went to the Farm Bureau office and asked what was wrong and we were told it was the dogs. I informed them we had dogs since we moved in so what had changed? They were there in 2011 taking pictures and nothing was ever mentioned at that time about the dogs and there were no problems. Again, I asked "what has changed"? I did not get an answer.

I found them to be very cold and secretive. I asked why they gave me a list of repairs to do if they already knew I was to be cancelled and again there was no reply. I gave 3 stars for the coverage because I liked the coverage I had written down on paper, however, I am grateful that I never had a reason to file a claim because I can see now that I would have had an uphill battle on my hands if I did.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I have Farm Bureau Ins for 25 years. This is first year I needed to use it. Paid them 877.00 dollars a year. Then the roof leaked and water poured down the light fixture in the kitchen only hole in ceiling. I called, made a claim, they told me what to do, had contractor did what claim adjuster suggested. Next rain roof leaked again pouring water on my counter and in my cabinets. I put a hole in ceiling with a knitting needle so the water would not leak down light fixture again. Called the claim department. They sent out an adjuster. He said water was blowing under the eaves and getting in. Then they had an engineer come out, he said it was the rafters coming apart and said it leaked over the sink which it did not.

They did not pay on it, didn't suggest taking out the soggy Sheetrock. Had the same contractor who repaired what the first adjuster said, to come out and fix the roof completely. A neighbor gave me the money since my husband had a stroke and can't do much. I showed the contractor what the adjuster and engineer said and he shook his head and said that is not at all why the roof leaked, it was just loose shingles. Now my cabinets are getting moldy, I think it's from where all the ceiling Sheetrock got wet.

Now they send us a statement to keep the insurance and it's 60 dollars higher and they did not even have to pay out. Please don't get cheated by Farm Bureau Insurance in Blount County TN. Like I did. I will be shopping for another insurance and hope and pray they are honest people. You would think soggy Sheetrock from a leaky roof should have been replace not by them. But the roofing contractor was outstanding.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with this company since the 3 years or so being with them. I own an older home that I'm remodeling. I was first hit with fees for not being insured for less than a year (had another company change in that time period) then had to become a member to be insured, then a $2.00 donation was added onto my membership fee (which I elected not to pay). This year I was hit with almost a $500 annual increase. Called the agent. He proceeded to tell me it was due to my credit obligations, I didn't have a multipolicy discount, a 2.7% annual inflation increase and then he solicited me to bundle my other insurances (auto etc) to save me some money?

Original review: April 12, 2017

I've had Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance for 6 SIX years, paying approx $200/month which equals over $14k and had NO ZERO claims, not even 1 speeding ticket, yet my insurance rates keep increasing - on my 11 yo vehicle! I am even over 50. Called my agent and he said "Well, I can't explain it. Sorry. I'll even shop around for you!" Now, with spring rain and hail, noticed water around my fireplace, wet drywall, damp and paint cracking. They send out THEIR Agent, who is being paid by them thus biased. Tells me leak is from hole in siding which I should have caulked and maintained. When I told him I had a contractor out before him who said it was flashing issue, then he said "Oh, maybe flashing too." He focused on what could be blamed on me - NOT an issue they would have to pay for! FED UP! Result: They won't pay $.01 on fireplace exterior, roof or siding damage but would write me a quote for drywall repair! Ha.

Won't pay for most expensive repair and if I let them pay out $300 for drywall, they will increase my rates. Asked about hail damage and roof. He said their policy states I would get 1% of insured value for roof which is $2407.00! That's all... After I've paid out over $13k. Worst insurance company I've ever had for 30 yrs of having home and auto insurance. Going with National company who won't scam their neighbors and community! Clearly our $$ is going toward White River Park and ticket profits! They should be out of business from scamming their neighbors in Indiana.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Extremely dissatisfied with Farm Bureau. We have paid additional to get residential home equipment breakdown coverage. Our heat and air unit outside needs replacement. It has been eleven days since we have filed our claim. We have tried to contact the insurance agent several times. He does not pick up his phone and neither does he answer back. We were supposed to have an answer latest by the Friday of last week and we have heard nothing yet (today is Monday). Additionally, we have called the agent repeatedly and left him messages but he cannot be bothered to return the calls. Very dissatisfied with their extremely unprofessional conduct and handling of my claim. I will not be renewing my insurance with this company. Very bad customer service and very ineffectual insurance agents.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My father-in-law has been paying Farm Bureau for over 20 years. I personally have never owned a home before. I've always rented. I was unaware of association dues that has to be paid. My mother-in-law was left with all his bills and she's disabled and cannot work. So I helped her with all her bills that I can. We fell on hard times and was running over a month late on our mortgage payment they were the bank called us they told her that we had to pay our association dues. I told them "I thought that was included with our payment." He said "everything is except that."

Unfortunately we were too late when I contacted them. They said as of 12:01 last night it was 9 a.m. in the morning they cancelled our insurance and when I asked them to reinstate it they said they had to send a insurance adjuster out to our house we've never made a claim before. They said because our house is 20 years old they will not redo our insurance. I hope this never happens to anybody else. I just want to warn everybody please do not use this company anymore because they are not there to help you. You have been warned. I don't know if this is legal or not but if anybody reading this please let me know.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

In September of 2013, 3 thugs broke into my apartment at 7: am while I was sleeping. They came in through my patio door. Fortunately a neighbor saw them and called 911. Before police arrived and I woke up, they had already carried out several items into the apartment behind me. I woke up as police chased them out my door and then around the neighborhood. It was a very traumatic experience. Not only for me but for my Himalayan cat who spent many days at the vet's office having glass removed from his fur and his body.

Most of my items were recovered, although not in the condition they left in. My 50 inch tv was damaged, my computer had to be taken to be repaired, my iPhone was completely trashed. When asked for a list of items by the police officers, I told them off the top of my head what looked to be missing. I didn't realize the iPad and digital camera were gone until three weeks later. When I mentioned it to someone they said I could turn it in on my renter's insurance.

Up until this point I wasn't really worried about the material items. I was too worried about my cat, the astronomical vet bills and emotional trauma of waking up to two strange men running out of my living room with cops behind them with guns drawn! (The other thug was their lookout, he stayed outside.) The cops also had no idea if I was part of the thieving thugs, although I was standing there in underwear, and ordered me to hit the floor. When five or six cops are pointing guns at you telling you to do something, you do it and ask questions later. So I did, right into a pile of busted glass.

At this point, three weeks later, I called the agent and explained it all to her. Her response was, "Oh, that's too bad. You should have called immediately. It's too late to file a claim now. Hope your kitty is ok." Their renter's insurance is just useless if you have to file a claim "immediately". What is immediately? The next hour, day, week? I paid on it for years and when I needed it, NOPE! I was satisfied with the auto insurance, but based on this experience, I would never suggest this company to anyone. At least not to anyone I liked very much.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

It must be a TX thing because anytime I've ever had to use Farm Bureau in Crossville, TN I can't find anything but good to say. I have to say there was one time I was pretty ticked off however. We had a bad storm and the neighbor's huge tree fell in our driveway damaging 2 vehicles. If we would have had comprehensive (which was like $10 month) they would have been covered. I blame that on my agent, not Farm Bureau. It was not covered under homeowners (theirs or ours) because it was considered an "act of God". Unfortunately, I have to use them again and I have no doubt everything will go as well as it has in the past.

Farm Bureau Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1939, Farm Bureau Financial Services has been providing homeowners insurance for nearly eight decades, and it offers plans for single-family dwellings, townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, mobile homes and condominiums. Farm Bureau Financial Services serves residents in the Western and Midwestern United States, including Arizona, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah.

• Customized plans: Plans can be customized to suit the homeowner's needs for personal belongings and high-value items such as jewelry, art collections and electronics that would not otherwise be covered under the policy.

• Additional structural coverage: Coverage is available for other buildings or structures on the property. These may include: storage sheds, unattached garages or carports, animal habitats and pet houses and potting sheds.

• Equipment breakdown coverage: Covered homeowners can have their home systems replaced in the event of irreparable breakdown. Such equipment includes air conditioners, hot water heaters, furnaces and electronic systems. Computers may also be covered.

• Replacement cost coverage: This coverage pays 100-125 percent of costs before depreciation consideration. The extra 25 percent helps cover the added expenses incurred by labor or material costs.

• Online access: Claims can be reported online, through the 24-hour claim center telephone number or directly to the homeowner's insurance agent.

• Best for: Homeowners in the West and Midwest states and those who require flexible coverage.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky