Farm Bureau Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

It must be a TX thing because anytime I've ever had to use Farm Bureau in Crossville, TN I can't find anything but good to say. I have to say there was one time I was pretty ticked off however. We had a bad storm and the neighbor's huge tree fell in our driveway damaging 2 vehicles. If we would have had comprehensive (which was like $10 month) they would have been covered. I blame that on my agent, not Farm Bureau. It was not covered under homeowners (theirs or ours) because it was considered an "act of God". Unfortunately, I have to use them again and I have no doubt everything will go as well as it has in the past.

I've had a terrible experience with Farm Bureau home insurance. I had a claim in the spring due to hail, and it's been nothing but a hassle. They did everything but call me a liar in regard to the quality of shingle that I had. It took multiple calls to get an adjuster out here. It takes forever for anyone to get back to you in regard to your questions. Nobody looks out for the customer.

My cabin sustained damage from a wind storm in July 2016. I appreciated that the adjuster arrived in a couple of days, but has been difficult to work with. Instead of pointing out areas of damage like window screens, window cracks, and lawn furniture, he avoided noting any damage that we didn't personally point out. Every communication is like begging. The 8 year old red roof on our cabin and shed sustained considerable tree damage. The adjuster will only cover half of the roofs, even though the roofing company said the color will be off. The roofing company eventually refused the job because Farm Bureau wants to patch the roof. The adjuster has been no help in getting our property back in shape. When you sustain property damage, you need some professional help, not being treated like we are the problem. So far we are fixing a lot of the damage ourselves since reputable contractors are so busy with storm damage in northern Minnesota.

My recommendation would be to: Ask a local roofing contractor which insurance company is easiest to work with before buying insurance. Beware of "stated coverage" because it's an excuse to underpay. Also, Farm Bureau will charge you for coverage they won't cover if there is a claim. They will replace with a depreciated value no matter the overall coverage value that they are billing you for.

When a neighbor's dead tree fell on our chain link fence, FB sided with the neighbor who also had FB insurance. I had video showing the tree was dead and had been dead for several years, but I had to go even further and hire an arborist to inspect it and he came up with the same conclusion we did. I believe FB was just trying to save the $1000 deductible by charging it to our policy instead of the owners of the dead tree. FB didn't even repay us for the cost of hiring an arborist. We continue to still have problems with dead limbs from another one of their trees which hangs over the property line and may hit our house when it finally comes down. We informed FB about it when we had two previous claims, but they didn't seem to care. We no longer have insurance with this company.

You all beware if you're thinking of insuring with Texas Farm Bureau. Think twice, do your homework unlike what I did. I have numerous homes that I normally insure through AAA or State Farm. A friend of the family went to work for Texas Farm Bureau and wanted to sell me homeowners insurance. He was an extremely nice person and worked extremely hard coming back multiple times trying to get close to what AAA was offering he came in and got within about $300 of AAA and advised it was Texas Bureau best policy and covered from the roof to the floor as good as AAA if not better. I signed up as a member and wrote him a check for the policy in June.

My son advised me that a family of possums had moved into the attic and it done unbelievable amounts of damage. I contacted Texas Farm Bureau and the lady that answered the phone was extremely nice she kind of laughed and said she'd only heard of two and the other one was her house. She said they thought they only had one possum but it turned out to be a family of 5. She advised that she would write the claim and there would be coverage. After numerous phone calls I was contacted by Peyton ** who advised there would be no coverage because my policy is a stated policy. I advised him I did not know what a stated policy was and he said the policy has to say exactly what it covers and possums are not in the policy. I told him that I was told that the policy was better if not equal to AAA. He advised that all of Texas Farm Bureau's policies are stated policies.

I advised him that AAA and State Farm would cover it I read him a section that State Farm's gives examples and covers bear damage and they used raccoons as an example. He advised that I should have went with one of those companies I ask for a supervisor and he advised I would have to call the 800 number. I got a hold of a gentleman by the name of Jim **, he said he would look into it. I have left probably 20 messages and I've only gotten two responses back. I told him that when I bought the policy I was advised that it was as good if not better than AAA and he said that they would have to call the old sales rep that was no longer with the company.

After numerous phone calls Peyton ** finally called back to interview me to get my recorded statement he said that they were trying to get ahold of the old agent which I have already given them his phone number and I reconfirm the number for them to contact him. They wanted to see if he stated that the policy was as good as AAA's. It is now been almost 3 months none of the damage has been repaired. We now have water damage because they damage the roof and it appears that they really don't care at one point I made contact with a subject by the name of Jim ** who was extremely rude and unprofessional if I were you I would seriously review your policy and think twice about buying through Texas Farm Bureau.

I was able to contact the original sales rep and he advised he did not even know what a stated policy was he said he felt that situation definitely would be covered I've yet to hear from Texas Farm Bureau and I would suggest you read your policy and do your homework. I am not the type of person to post stuff like this but I feel it is important that everyone know what they're buying in Texas Farm bureau's policies. I leave it open for them to deny claims.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau Homeowners?

I was a loyal customer for over 10 years and never made a claim until recently when my house roof suffered extensive damage from being in a catastrophic storm zone. Farm Bureau treated my family with contempt from the very first phone conversation with the insurance adjuster and the claim dragged on for 6 months. Four other neighbors had their roofs paid for and replaced within 1 month by their insurance companies. In the end Farm Bureau wasted a ton of my time, caused a ton of stress and only paid out 40% of the cost. Don't buy Farm Bureau and if you already have them, hope you never have to make a claim.

BEWARE! KYFB has small print that you NEED to read. If you have a major or total loss you're screwed. They'll only pay you your total insurance IF you rebuild on the same spot!! If you do not and build somewhere else they'll only pay you the depreciation value of your old house. THEY decide the value. Even if you rebuild on the same spot they only give you the depreciation value until AFTER you rebuild!! Doesn't matter how much you're insured for or how much you pay per year. You only get so much of your personal property money upfront. Once you turn in receipts for EVERY little item that you've repurchased they'll give you a little more. Be sure you repurchase the same items at the same price you gave for it ten years ago. It ALL has to add up the same and be the same or you won't get the insurance that you've been paying for. DO NOT USE FARM BUREAU. They're a rip off!!

My house caught fire this past January... on my son's birthday. It was an electrical fire that did a little over $50,000 in damage. My agent was amazing. He brought a birthday cake & gift cards for my son from their local office to the hotel they'd put us up in. The adjuster was quick & very efficient at getting the approvals needed as well as sending out the checks to cover the costs. He advised me regarding good companies to go with for the repair work.

It was just unfortunate for us that it happened in winter & the contractors couldn't get to work until the weather warmed up & the snows stopped. So we were living in a hotel room for about 5 months. But I think my insurance company did an above average job of handling our claim. The only complaint I have is that my premium went up outrageously as a result. My deductible is now outrageously high as well & I'm having great difficulty affording the premiums, but due to the fire, I can't find anyone else to insure me.

Farm Bureau has great competitive prices and 4 years ago when I had to put in a claim I found them to be very professional, very efficient and the customer service was very impressive. I was very satisfied with how quick my problem was taken care of. Because of the great service I will be a customer for a long time.

I can relate to my insurance person. She deals with me one on one.

I have had only one claim on my home insurance. I needed a new roof and new gutters. I felt like they did not provide enough funds to get a long-lasting roof. I did not have enough funds left to get new gutters. The customer service was nice and I guess I should have negotiated with the agent for higher proceeds but I did not.

We gave combined Farm Bureau Homeowners insurance with car insurance to get the best price. We shopped around before choosing Farm Bureau but with their competing pricing and friend recommendations, we chose them. We also liked having a personal agent that we met in person and can call and/or email anytime we need!

Our homeowners insurance company is Farm Bureau. Our agent is Brian **. He is great. He will even come to our house to cover policies with us. When you call his office, his associate, Nicole, is so sweet, intelligent and helpful. They work hard to get us the best rates. The only drawback to Farm Bureau insurance is that you have to pay an annual membership fee. This membership supposedly allows us to get discounts at certain places but we never shop at these places so the membership dues are a waste of money for us. Their 1-800 number service is great. You can actually get a real person who speaks English, knows what they are doing, and can help you right away. I would recommend Farm Bureau.

Have a bundled policy on our home and auto insurance. Great coverage, they are always very quick to handle any and all problems or questions we may have. Handles everything for us there so we never have to go there. Everything can be done over the phone or email if need be. Our agent comes to our home if anything is ever needed.

Farm Bureau has the cheapest premium around and believe me I did some shopping! I was unfortunate and had to make a claim, however they were quick to respond and were very helpful!

I have had to use them twice. The first time was a small kitchen fire. I was only expecting the kitchen top cabinet door repaired and the kitchen repainted. They went beyond what I was expecting and cleaned and painted my entire house because of smoke webs. They sent in cleaners to clean the furniture and all utensils, appliances and carpet. They also dry cleaned all my curtains. The second time was hail damage to the roof of my brand new house. The shingles were immediately replaced. They also painted and repaired a wall that got damaged from leakage.

Only have them a short time, but they seem ok. Haven't has a problem... so no claims filed and hope to never have to. Agent is educated in what we needed. Prices were competitive... options to pay, as well.

I haven't had a problem for many years but when I did, it was handled quickly and efficiently. I am very satisfied with my insurance. I've had this insurance for 30 years with no problems. The people at my insurance company are very knowledgeable and helpful.

No problems. Very fair premiums. Have not had to file any claims in the past twenty years but have met with agent and he was very helpful in keeping premiums low and competitive.

Solid no frills company that I've been with for over 40 years. I've had three claims in all the years I've been with them and each was handled very well.

I haven't really had an experience other than purchasing the policy. It is the same company who I have my auto insurance with and I have a great relationship with the agent and they provide me with a competitive cost.

I have such a wonderful group people that work at my Farm Bureau office. They have always been helpful when I go to the office. They are able to give me the information that I need.

When I got my Homeowner's Insurance (when we bought a new house in 2012) I asked for "the coverage that pays my mortgage if anything happens to my husband because I cannot afford to pay it myself." I was assured I had it. 6 months ago I was watching TV and found out it was called "mortgage protection" and I realized I did not have it when I read my policy again. Too bad for me my husband was diagnosed with cancer a year ago so now I am screwed. DO NOT TRUST THEM. I made that mistake and lived to regret it. I will now find another company to replace them but the damage is done.

Price was 1/2 of what I was paying to my previous provider with the exact same coverage. Agent was thorough and helpful throughout the transition process. Bill payment set up exactly as it was with the previous provider.

Great rates for the coverage amount that I need and great, clear, precise, accurate bill and customer service that makes you feel like part of the family.

I also have my auto insurance with this company. I highly recommend them. They are always available to help answer my questions and problems that I may have. The staff is super friendly and helps anyway they can. I have had this insurance for years and also a lot of my family and friends have it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Good company with good reputation and good representatives. Easy to work with and easy to get in contact with for service. Highly recommend to others and will continue to work with for years to come.

They are very reasonable, friendly and they work with you to get you the best policy. They also help offer other forms of insurance. They are also local. You can always find one close.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1939, Farm Bureau Financial Services has been providing homeowners insurance for nearly eight decades, and it offers plans for single-family dwellings, townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, mobile homes and condominiums. Farm Bureau Financial Services serves residents in the Western and Midwestern United States, including Arizona, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah.

• Customized plans: Plans can be customized to suit the homeowner's needs for personal belongings and high-value items such as jewelry, art collections and electronics that would not otherwise be covered under the policy.
  • Additional structural coverage: Coverage is available for other buildings or structures on the property. These may include: storage sheds, unattached garages or carports, animal habitats and pet houses and potting sheds.
  • Equipment breakdown coverage: Covered homeowners can have their home systems replaced in the event of irreparable breakdown. Such equipment includes air conditioners, hot water heaters, furnaces and electronic systems. Computers may also be covered.
  • Replacement cost coverage: This coverage pays 100-125 percent of costs before depreciation consideration. The extra 25 percent helps cover the added expenses incurred by labor or material costs.
  • Online access: Claims can be reported online, through the 24-hour claim center telephone number or directly to the homeowner's insurance agent.
  • Best for Homeowners in the West and Midwest states and those who require flexible coverage.

Compare Homeowners Insurance