Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Farm Bureau Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau Homeowners?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

Farm Bureau Insurance Central Florida, Purchased Home Owners Insurance in March of 2014, Great Agency, no problems until September 2020 when my mortgage company informed me that our Home Owners Policy had expired!!! Notified my agent & read letter sent. He checked policy & said that since I changed Primary coverage on our house to Secondary it was dropped as they only cover primary? (Reason changed is that my wife passed away & I would be going back and forth instead of staying full time + Covid19 conditions in Florida.) No notification, No letters, No phone calls ahead of this Mortgage Company Letter! So until then & had no problems?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The folks at Farm Bureau are friendly, helpful, and sincerely concerned with taking care of their customers. They prioritize service to the most severely impacted when necessary. For example, after a major storm when inspectors were spread thin, they took care of people who were out of their homes before inspecting my damaged outbuilding. I really appreciated that because if my home had been damaged I would want the process to go as fast as possible. The agent listened, was understanding, and offered good advice. Farm Bureau has always come through for me.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I just found out that Farm Bureau has overcharged me for 15 years. I submitted the square footage and price of my home when I purchased it for them to cover it with Home Owners insurance. They inflated my square feet from 1320 to 1800 and then use the square footage to plug into a program to determine the total coverage they put on the policy.

After getting to $203,000 on a $129,000 home I questioned the latest agent (seems like a new one every year as they pass my policy around) and they pointed to the 1800 sq ft as the reason my insurance amount was so high and thus my policy so expensive. Since they started charging 2% of total policy coverage for a deductible they have been jacking up the total coverage ever year. This is how they overcharged me $600 on my deductible to have my roof replaced. When all this was pointed out to Farm Bureau management, they basically told the agent they would "correct" the policy for the last 6 months at approximately $18 a month.

They think that is reasonable for overcharging me over $3750 over the years. They essentially said, you didnt catch it so too bad for you that we screwed you all these years. BEWARE of the this predatory practice!!! Check your square footage on your policies and watch as they jackup the total coverage amount every year to charge you more for your policy but more importantly to charge you higher deductibles on wind or storm damage!!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

All these years and y'all haven't done nothing extra for your customers. House insurance would not pay for heater fire accept 800$ 500$ was deductible! Our life is worth more than that. We replaced it ourselves. Roof no help! There, gonna miss match! Lady hit me in a parking lot! I got 3 insurance points and she was on a cell and told us it happened to her at the Olive Garden...a little suspicious to me. We got screwed! Now you send my regular high bill and everybody else giving discounts in this horrific time! SHAME ON YOU! Oh yea and others with your insurance gets checks for anything. Sick!

Original review: May 22, 2020

Do not waste your money and buy their Home Insurance. It is crap. I cannot believe they are an A+ company when I see all of the 1 star reviews. I had them for over 15 years and filed a claim and it was denied.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Avoid this insurance unless you enjoy paying increased premiums every year. When I asked they claimed I was getting a better deal, that other companies would charge me more. After 3 increases my premiums were double than when I first started. I stopped believing their lies and went directly to another insurance which quoted me a premium of about 70% less. I switched and now am trying to get my prepaid annual premium back from them. They claimed it was sent directly to my bank but my bank claims it should have been sent directly to me. When I call Farm Bureau they say "I have someone in my office I have to hang up".

Original review: May 14, 2019

I got insurance from these guys for my apt. I canceled on the SAME DAY! I still get charged and I got refunded $74 dollars less than they took from me. They didn't refund me right away because I they wanted to see if I was going with someone else and they can compare coverage. They don't need that because I had canceled when I signed, it didnt come into effect until weeks later. Called customer service and they said my account was activated for 6 days and I got charged $74 dollars! You kidding me? If I could rate you a 0 I would.

Original review: April 7, 2019

This company is unbelievable. My sister caused a problem at the Union City, TN office because she was mad at my Mother and they cancelled all her insurance without any written notice. Wish I could sue them. I became her POA in January and we received NO written or verbal communication they just stopped taking her monthly payments out of her checking account. What is even worse Mom is in the nursing home and I found out Friday they had cancelled her supplemental Medicare insurance. No notice I was told by the nursing home.

Mom and my late Father were with Farm Bureau for almost 50 years. The more horrible thing is that they did NOT cancel my sister's insurances with them. What is that about? I am on a mission to stop anyone from buying Farm Bureau of any kind. I also have found that State Farm is 100% better. They do NOT prorate your roof when you need a new one. Hope that very soon there is no Farm Bureau because they always cheat their oldest customers. Horrible.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We expected our insurance company to protect us or represent us from a frivolous trespass claim with a slightly senile neighbor. Claim and representation was denied even though we have $1 million umbrella policy. We had to hire our own attorney. Then when our yacht moored in Lake Ponderay suffered engine room damage in spite of our best efforts to prevent freeze damage we were denied again with an agent who could care less about covering our loss and using an exclusion in our policy that essentially renders our boat insurance worthless and probably best we didn't suffer a total loss on the boat as it would not have been covered either… In short after two claims, both of which were denied and would've been covered by any other insurance I am spending my $4000 a year in policy coverage anywhere else! As far as I'm concerned, this insurance company is good only until you file a claim and then they have proved worthless…

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We have been with Farm Bureau since we bought our home in 2014. We didn't filed a claim until this year when a pipe burst under our home and caused water damage to the subflooring causing a huge weak spot on our floor in the kitchen. The linoleum flooring is the only thing keeping people from falling through. We filed a claim, we were low balled and sent a check for less than half of what it would cost to repair. We filed a supplemental claim and was told we would not be charged an additional deductible since it was a supplemental claim attached to the initial claim.

That was a lie. They charged us $1000 both times and deducted "depreciation" costs both times as well. The supplemental check was barely over $200. Icing on the cake the agent (Tucker) who was suppose to give his estimate, still has not sent it to us so we can send it with the check to our mortgage company to be signed and here we are 2 months later with a hole in the floor and a worthless check because a lazy agent is never able to be reached, never returns calls, allegedly is never in his office and has yet to do his actual job so we can fix our floor before one of us or or 6 kids falls through and gets hurt. I would not recommend this company or that agent to anyone. We will be switching to a more capable company with agents who have better work ethics. I would not even give this company a 1 star but I had to rate in order to submit.

Farm Bureau Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company offers homeowners insurance for single-family dwellings, townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, mobile homes and condominiums. The company also sells auto insurance and has an A rating from AM Best.

• Cost: Farm Bureau doesn’t have prices immediately available on its website, and prices vary significantly by state. However, the average cost of homeowners insurance policies is $1,200 a year.

• Plans and coverage: Farm Bureau’s base policy covers dwellings, additional structures and personal property. Guaranteed replacement covers up to 125% of the policy’s limit for home repair or replacement. Additional coverage includes equipment breakdown and umbrella coverage.

• Discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts for bundling, new homes, roof replacements, home protection systems and customer loyalty.

• Availability: Farm Bureau Financial Services writes policies in Arizona, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor