3.2/5 (3061 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I work with insurance companies frequently as a motor vehicle dealership and financier, and have never had such a horrible experience as the one we are currently locked in with Esurance. A finance customer of ours wrecked their vehicle in late November 2021. The customer had full coverage insurance and loan/lease coverage. The vehicle was immediately towed to our property, and esurance was notified promptly of the location of and sustained damages to the vehicle, along with our daily storage fee. We obtained a third-party repair estimate as soon as possible, which clearly evidenced that the cost for repairs far exceeded the current value of the vehicle (total loss). This should have been an extremely simple claim, for which the process with any other insurance company may have taken a few weeks at most.

The agent we were initially in contact with, Ryan **, was virtually impossible to reach and almost never responded to our communication attempts. Copart calls our office daily inquiring about release of the vehicle; they have been ready to pick it up as a total loss since December 2021. It is now February 2022, and we are still attempting to get paid for this vehicle. It has been sitting on our lot accruing storage fees of $40/day which esurance is now omitting from payment documents. I'm losing confidence daily that they will be able to redeem themselves, causing me to no longer allow our finance customers to obtain insurance through them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I contacted Esurance to get my declarations page and what do I know, I get like a best friend out of the call. Darnay was the nicest person in customer service that I've spoke to! She could relate to life experiences and made life a little better today!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

We have been Esurance customers for around 6 years. Last year, we moved from a $200k house to a $400k house. In the midwest, most insurance claims are for roofs and wind/hail claims. When starting our new policy esurance valued our new (to us, not new construction) house at $900k (purchase price was $390k) so that our deductible would be $9k for wind/hail and $4k for all other peril. They told us there is not another option.

In KS, we would always have a higher wind/hail deductible and to price themselves out of having to pay any claims, they artificially inflated the value of our house. Adding a liability-only 16 year old driver to our account increased our bill by $1200/semiannually. We contacted State Farm and got MUCH better coverage (no separate wind/hail deductible, comparable premium, and larger loss of use amount). To top it off, esurance charged a CANCELLATION FEE to terminate their crappy coverage! Talk about sleazy. Stay far, far away.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I have been with Esurance for 3.5 years paying on time, No accidents and no claims. They still increased my premium exponentially without any reason. They do not care about existing customers at all. Thank god I didn't had any claims. They might have not done anything for me at that time as well.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I never had a problem with Esurance, probably because I never had a claim. But when I found much better coverage for over $25/month less, and went to cancel my policy, they charged me a $50 cancelation fee! (After 2 years of being a customer.)

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I purchased an auto policy online from ESURANCE. In the coverage options it lists CarMatch Rental Coverage. In the details under the heading “Why do I need it?” It states: “This coverage is particularly helpful for anyone who relies on having a particular size of vehicle (like a pickup truck or a minivan) for their daily routines. So if, say, you have a family of five and two dogs, CarMatch Rental Coverage will make sure you don't end up having to squeeze the whole family into a compact rental car if your everyday vehicle is stolen or in the shop after an accident.” Since I don’t drive a pickup truck or a minivan, I assumed this was not a coverage that I needed.

After a deer did extensive damage to my car, I was informed that I do not have rental reimbursement and that I would have had to opt for CarMatch Rental Coverage to have that. CarMatch Rental Coverage is NOT an upgrade from standard rental coverage. If you don’t choose this option you will not get a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Cancelled insurance policy back in January 2021. High monthly premiums. Switched to another more affordable insurance provider with better services. Meanwhile, Esurance kept deducting monthly payments from my account. Nine months later I receive an email from Esurance stating that I am still an active customer on their account. In shock, I immediately cancelled my policy and expected to get a refund for the past 9 months. Esurance refused to reimburse me due to backlogged information provided by the company. What Esurance did was pure robbery!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was hit by someone who said they were insured with them. I set up an appointment for the repairs. I needed to get a rental for the the time I would not have a car. I called Deon ** and left FIVE messages over two weeks. No response. I eventually got through their maze of options on the phone. You get the feeling it is intentional so that you don’t get a hold of anyone. Ultimately I got ahold of someone who told me that the individual in question had allowed his insurance to lapse during that time so my claim was being denied. I was told I would get an email saying that. That was 24 hours ago. Still no email stating that. If I ever decided to switch my insurance, then I would not go with them. How long does it take to send an email? Is Deon that overworked? If so, then hire some more people.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

A driver with Esurance coverage hit my daughter's car. The other driver was at fault per the police report. Months later they still haven't paid the claim. We called the representative in Phoenix and the phone line was not operating. We called the general number for the Phoenix office and they could not help us. Because they could not connect us to the specific claims representative. It's not a large claim and they are not paying in a timely manner. I should not have to wait like this.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have been with the Esurance for approximately 8 years - which means I have paid a lot of money into this company. I have full coverage on my newer vehicle and my daughter has liability on hers because her car is old with a very low value; so full coverage is not needed. My daughter's car was hit in a store parking lot last month by another vehicle. We immediately filed a claim with Esurance. Even with video proof showing that the other driver was 100% responsible for the accident, Esurance will not help us go after the other driver's insurance company. This is because my daughter's vehicle only has liability (we were finally told).

What is the sense in paying for car insurance at all? Clearly we are only paying for her liability insurance to satisfy our state law of needing to have it. I have been hit two different times in the past (I wasn't at fault either times), when we were still using Progressive (one of those times I only had liability myself) and Progressive got my car fixed immediately and even offered checks as an alternative; I was able to choose. I realize that Esurance is a humongous company where business is business and it's all about money, but I still feel like a fool and let down for paying so much money into this company for them to not have my back.

The other issue was that I was assigned a claims representative who ended up going on vacation and didn't pass on my claim. Then the second person that had my claim went on vacation and also left my claim with no one to pick it up where she left off. When you try to get a hold of anyone working on your claim, they do not answer the phone and only have an outgoing message, of which you are not able to leave a message on. In more words or less, you can't get a hold of a real person to discuss your claim.

I had been waiting a very long time and very patient in finding out what kind of help Esurance was going to offer us (as paying customers) only to find out that they will be doing nothing because my daughter doesn't have full coverage. The video proof was very difficult to obtain and I was led to believe (by Esurance) that it would be a great help, also only to find out (much later) that Esurance will not help. In fact, I think that they had me go on that quest to obtain the video just to kill time for them not tending to my claim.

-I waited for nearly a month, with a car that cannot be used until it's fixed because it's unsafe.
-I was tossed around by multiple claims representatives.
-I was unable to get a hold of an actual person (until I had to play detective and go on a mission to find someone to talk to).
-I was talked into (by the supervisor of the insurance claims department - who in itself was a part-time job trying to track down) to do some footwork such as getting the video and etc (essentially do their job).

-I was led to believe that everything would work out in our favor because the other driver was 100% at fault.

Now we have to go to court with our video because somebody has to be held responsible for the damages to my daughter's car. Esurance did not do their job and we paying customers are not getting provided with the service that we believe we are paying for. I'm going back to Progressive. My sincere advice: Reconsider doing business with Esurance.

I used to always talk so very highly of Esurance when discussing car insurance with family and friends. I have even convinced a couple of people to switch to Esurance in the past, sadly. I haven't had ANY problems with Esurance... until I needed them the most, so I know that they can be very deceiving until then. Other insurance companies, like Progressive, can be a little bit more pricier than Esurance but, from my experience now, it's worth it to pay more because at least you know that in the end, those pricier insurance companies have your back. And that's what we're going to do. Go back to Progressive. *Please note that my daughter and myself have never caused a car accident since we've been with Esurance (ever actually, in our driving history).

Original review: July 8, 2021

By far the WORST customer service I have ever had. I tried using their "Insta chat" while I was on hold. I received a response that the claims representative would reach out to me in one business day, when I asked for a supervisor I was told to continue to hold on the current phone call. When a person is on site at a rental location, one business day is not an acceptable response. When requesting a supervisor, being told to continue to wait on hold is also not acceptable. I am not exaggerating when I say I was there nearly 3 hours trying to get a hold of somebody from Esurance in order to rectify an issue that should have been taken care of along with the damage claims.

The only individual that I was able to actually speak to was a customer service agent from the sales side of the company. Understandably she was unable to actually assist me, but she provided me a number to the ‘rapid’ response team and transferred me to that number. No one ever picked up. I’ve worked in customer service most of my professional career, it takes a great deal for me to be this upset. My interactions with Esurance today is the very definition of lack of professionalism and customer service. Ultimately I had to pay out of pocket and hope that they reimburse me. Note: at the time of this review I have still not been able to get a hold of anyone to speak to regarding this claim.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I was involved in a hit and run on 2-10. I the adjuster with no response. I even emailed and called his supervisor. No luck with that either. This is unacceptable and no good paying customer should be treated this way. I'm not happy at all. I need transportation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

If I could give this company 0 stars I would!!! This is my awful experience with Esurance!! I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your company, and claims rep Destiny **!!! I first filed my claim of Dec 10, after that I spoke with Destiny about 3 times, until my claim was escalated into a fraud claim which was totally ridiculous!! In that time without exaggeration I had left at least 25 to 30 emails, and about 40 calls!!! With Destiny ** totally ignoring me and not returning any of my calls or emails!!! She should be ashamed of herself by the way she does her job and represents your company!!!! By, blowing me off, making me feel frustrated, very angry, and deserted!!

I will be leaving negative feedback and forwarding this email, and my dissatisfaction for Destiny **, on every feedback site I can!!! I'm dropping Esurance. In the 28 years I've been driving and had auto insurance I have never been treated and ignored this bad!! Last week finally, Pete **, released my claim, after speaking with him, it took Destiny ** 3 days to call me back, only to leave me a voice mail. Since last week I've called about 6 times, and email her at least 4 times!!!! To guess what? No response!!!!

She should be ashamed of herself and the way she so called does her job!!!! I know this is not the way you're supposed to be treated and through the years have dealt with Progressive and Geico, with excellent claims representative, always making me feel welcome and assisting me any way they could!! The total opposite of Destiny **!!!! She is shameful and sucks at her job!!!!

John **.

Claim # **.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Esurance is a horrible insurance company. I have an open claim from August 2020 that still has not been resolved, their gap insurance only covers 25% which was not disclosed to me during my purchase. Apparently my original claims adjuster no longer works for the company however I was never assigned a new one and was not aware that she left the company until December 2020. No one ever reached out to me, my vehicle was falsely declared a total loss because they are too cheap to get it repaired.

I was told in October 2020 I constantly reached out to them and was told numerous times that I would receive a call back in 1 business day. It took them today 1/25/2021 to actually get in contact with me. I am still without a vehicle 'til this day, I have racked up thousands of dollars of rental car bills. They were not helpful at all, no one ever answers the phone or has an answer for anything. I will never do business with them again, I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I cancelled my insurance on my due date and they still took money out of my account 11 days later. Esurance is overpriced! The customer service is very poor! Be very careful doing business with this ABUSIVE outfit!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Jennifer ** incorrectly reported my accident as my fault. She did not pick up her phone and gave me a disconnected phone number. They messed up my life by never getting any proof of an accident being my fault. They would not talk to me and ignore my emails and phone calls. You will need an attorney to get justice from Esurance! Esurance is a scam, they don't care if they incorrectly report an accident as your fault because they want to increase your car insurance costs to make more money! Stay way!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I love our Esurance car insurance! My husband and I had Allstate for many, many years. The premiums kept going up and up every 6 month renewal even though we never made an insurance claim. So, I shopped around and found Esurance. Thank goodness I did! I got to customize our policy to meet our needs and I saved so much money. Policy premium is Half of what we used to pay! Paying online is easy, and if you pay 7 days before due date, you even save the $3.00 installment fee. We haven't had to make a claim yet, so I don't know about their handling of claims as of yet.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

This company seems nice. But I hit a deer with my car. Totaled it and 3 weeks later no money so I can get out of the rental. I have a car waiting for me with deposit and can't get loan till payment happens. NEVER use Esurance.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have been with them for years and after an accident which was not our fault and two years has passed we are still paying the price or penalty of this with no end. Feels like they want us to leave them. Feeling pushed out or forced out by high pricing.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

This company took money from my account well after I was no longer a customer! 4 phone calls I made to the company, with no resolve! Only one person I spoke with actually had customer service skills! I did not authorize this debit on this date! Highly disappointed! The snowball effect this had on my account will hurt me for quite some time. Absolute blasphemy!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Been with Esurance for over eight years. Always been behind the technical side of business and lately their updates have created real problems. Cancellation notices twice after never having a missed payment date. They blamed their software. Happened three times with emails and a letter over a weekend. Now change your payment date a day due to Social Security payment date and they charge a late payment. After all the nonsense I will shop for new auto ins and leave this screwed up company. Their Renters insurance is overpriced and undervalued. Stay away from them just for good peace of mind. Too much trouble now doing business with them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

It was very easy to set up my policy at the beginning, and they even helped with a few kinks due to mortgage closing issues. The rate is very competitive for equal coverage. They have been easy to deal with. I have not had to make a claim yet, so don't know how that goes, but I don't expect any issues, should the need arise.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

By far the worst service from any insurance company I have ever had. Screwed me out of my car by totaling out my car which was still drivable after being in an accident and taking my $1,500 deductible that supposed to go towards damages and repairs subtracted from the total value of my car (almost 5,800) in order to not fix my car. The cost of damages was 4,500. Ended up being a difference of $200 all because they deducted $1,500 that supposed to go towards damages and repairs from the value of my car which after subtracting the 1500 is now 4300 value.. then they took forever to let me know how much it cost is going to be and then they tried to say I didn't return the rental car which is crazy because I ended up paying for my own rental after returning the rental car.

They even sent me the receipt confirming that they paid for the rental.. They left me in the hole with $7,500 still owed to my lienholder.. just got off the phone with one of the supervisors because they're trying to charge me for services that I don't even have with them anymore. I already paid them up in full and it happened at the end of my lease so I didn't have to renew my lease. They automatically renewed it for me and tried to charge me for it after they send me a cancellation notice to let me know that my policy was being canceled because I allowed it to end at the end of my policy terms and I didn't renew it... Don't trust Esurance... especially the claims department. They are nothing but Crooks but the regular employees they are nice. The claims department and the supervisors are all Crooks... Again I say stay away from Esurance.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

DO NOT USE!!! VERY BAD INSURANCE COMPANY!!! Multiple trees fell on my brand new house causing a lot of damage....Esurance offered me not even 5% of the damages....THE WORST!!!! DO NOT USE!!! They will send a company out to look at damages and write a report saying everything is normal wear and tear! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I had been a customer with Esurance both home and auto for 3+ years and had no claims be it either Auto or Home. We live in Mount Juliet, TN and this March 2020 we were unfortunately hit by the tornado that ripped through Nashville, TN all the way to Lebanon, TN. During this our home was also impacted with roof shingles damage at multiple areas on the roof. I had called in Esurance for a review; they came did review (in my opinion was quick and fast; I had to request the person to put a tarp which he was saying that he would not do normally - which again I felt weird; then I asked him to call the adjuster and then he agreed to do it).

The adjuster came back and said looking at the damages, the roof can be repaired, does not require a full replacement; further they gave an estimate of an amount less than my deductible. I agreed to this and took it to a roofer and this person came and verified and said the damage on your roof requires full replacement of shingles and not a repair. I took three other roofer's opinion and all had the same comment of full replacement and not repair.

I was in constant discussion after these with the esurance adjuster and also the manager, further there was another storm in May and this ripped away few more shingles from my roof. So the roofer whom I was working to get my roof fixed, started working with the esurance folks. In a call after the May storm, the adjuster happened to make a statement to roofer that this person is not going to get his roof replaced even before she had her person to come in and review the effect after the May storm. Which was totally biased and with no customer empathy. Additional fact is that there were other neighbors around me, some of them who had comparatively fewer damages than my roof. 3 of them had the roof replaced while this back and forth was happening with esurance.

Having all said and done, esurance stood their ground and did not pay a cent towards the damages on my roof. Given the COVID pandemic situation I did not have enough money to spend to replace the entire roof, as the quote for entire replacement was above $10K. Hence I got my roofer to repair the roof shingles (put new shingles to the places where the shingles got ripped off) and also fix some of the loose shingles. Given that I did not want any leak on my roof because of the ripped of shingles in multiple places and even on the ridge caps.

I am not sure what would be the situation if another storm or tornado were to hit, the money I have spent around $2K would be a waste. I have moved on from esurance (both auto and home to a new insurance company, I did not see any effort or empathy from them to seek and or understand any concern of a customer who has been long standing with them.

I feel bad that they are now a subsidiary of AllState, I have heard AllState has been fairly good. I am sure there reputation is set for a toss. NEVER EVER BUY AN INSURANCE OR ANY PRODUCTS FROM ESURANCE, STAY AWAY FROM SUCH MONEY MONGERS AND FOLKS WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY EMPATHY TO CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I thought like other insurance companies that Esurance actually cared about their customers. I received 10% back because of Covid like everyone else. My 6 month renewal just approached and was notified that my premium would increase over 10.00 a month. What could I do but shake my head. I felt that I should have known that they will get their money back and then some. They could care less about you.

I live less than a mile from work and walk most of the time. Esurance said that did not matter and no discount could be applied. I should probably add that I have never put in a claim with esurance. In fact the last claim I ever put in was 30 years ago with another company for a small fender bender. I should also add that I haven't even had esurance for a full year and they are already raising my rates during this time of crisis. Goodbye Esurance. I am in the process of switching over to Geico.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Esurance is the most disgusting, unethical insurance company I’ve ever been with. Don’t trust their whole Drivesense thing because they’ll kick you off right before you’re supposed to get your discount. I’ve been driving carefully logging every trip for my entire term. I was due for a 15% discount next term and won’t get it now because they don’t want to have to dish it out. I’ve had no crashes, tickets, nothing at all the entire time. Now I have to pay extra to another company to start a term with them. It’s despicable. Esurance will screw you over in the middle of a global pandemic to save a little money. That’s the kind of company they are.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I had to get another insurance for my daughter's car. I was not keen on not having control on making my payments but that is the way Esurance handles their accounts. I have been their customer for 2 years and they have been wonderful. Kind, professional, experienced, up-to-date, and in the know. Prices are affordable! That feels good!

Original review: July 16, 2020

If you are looking for an insurance company that rolls over and accepts fault in a car accident you are not at fault for then Esurance is right for you. If you are looking for an insurance company to fight for you and not blindly accept fault and twist reality to accept fault then I would keep looking. This insurance company is an absolute disgrace. I do not know how operating in this manner makes financial sense for the company unless it is entirely based on the one time payment to raise someone's rates. As soon as I find a better insurance company I will be tossing this one away where it belongs.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have been an Esurance auto insurance policy holder for 6 years. Now I need help to get my 2006 Honda Pilot repaired, and Esurance won't help me! I have made 7 phone calls in a row to Esurance tonight. NO HELP! I accidentally hit a parking lot pillar with my Honda Pilot. The driver's side front tire is flat and damaged, requiring replacement. Part of my left front bumper also needs to be repaired. One Esurance employee told me that the Esurance computer is declaring my vehicle a total loss. WHAT?! That's like saying a person with a sprained wrist has a fully broken body! I pay Esurance every month! I have full coverage including a rental car provision. If Esurance doesn't pay to repair my honda pilot, I will have to get an attorney for a lawsuit if Esurance won't help repair my vehicle!

I cannot reach roadside assistance by phone, and it is wrong for Esurance to force your customers to use a mobile app! You still have telephones! I want to speak with roadside assistance, and have my vehicle towed to replace the damaged tire and get body work! Again, I pay Esurance every month! I have full coverage including a rental car provision. If Esurance doesn't pay to repair my Honda Pilot, I will have to get an attorney for a lawsuit if Esurance won't help repair my vehicle!

Now Esurance customer service is closed. Terrible Esurance business practices! Just terrible. All you seem to care about is saving Esurance money instead of helping and honoring your customers!!! Shame on Esurance! ON GOOGLE: Esurance's CEO Jonathan Adkisson, has 21 employee ratings and a score of 60/100, placing them in the Bottom 15% of companies in the United States with 1,001-5,000 Employees and Bottom 10% of other companies.

Esurance Company Information