1.65/5
Based on 72 reviews that contain star ratings

Jacksonville, FL

74 Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2018

Almost 20 years being with Citizens, just one I put a claim many years ago, there is not any other insurance in Florida that you can go to. This insurance was allowed in Florida due to our governor, and other "politicians." Just wonder how much Citizens paid them... When Hurricane Irma came, I had damages to my house, like I expected they denied my claim. I got two estimate paid by me sent to them, still they used a nonsense not to pay the water that damaged my house due to the winds, my wood fence was destroy my roof, they always find excuses. I have tried to check other insurances. No one wants to insured people in Florida. They should be investigated by the Insurance Board, enough is enough. They are pure scams. 20 years paying big payments when the times comes they denied the claim. Does any of our politicians in Florida care? Of course not...Miami is scam city.

I'm sick with liver problems with asthma and a damaged house, Fema did nothing for me, but of course they gave millions to Puerto Rico, most of the Puerto Rico had no insurance in their houses, they all came to Orlando and got between 5000 and 10,000, we the Floridians got nothing...in Miami Dade we have many mayors. All useless. They only concerned about how much they are going to get in their paycheck.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Hurricane IRMA left considerable damages to my small hotel, I had extensive roof damages, water leak, 6 AC condensers got sandblast & burned out, my 700sq.ft covered bar cafe got totally destroyed, my fence got damages, appliances at my cafe got destroyed, I got leak in several suites due to 58 roof tiles blown away. I had paid Citizens for 15 years $7000/year always on time. 1st Citizens Property Adjusters took 5 weeks after the Hurricane to show up, I called them on Sept 12 & they request to keep the damages & wait for inspection. 2nd I got a Property Adjuster who came Sept 13th, 2017 & after inspection estimated the total damages @ $241,900 not even counting the business interruption. 3rd, after 5 weeks Citizens adjuster showed up, wrote his report, took photos & took my report & estimates that several contractors came & to support my Property Adjuster claim.

I finally clean up the tons of debris 5 weeks after the storm & start fixing the max I could. Mid-November, Citizens sent me a denied claim from the $241,900 estimated damages, after depreciation, citizens estimated the damages at $9000 & since my deductible was $21,500 they paid $0. Case is now in litigation. My lawyer found out that Citizens insurance added an addendum for depreciation. 10% depreciation/year for wall/windows/roof. 20% depreciation/year for everything else.

Addendum: I never signed since I was their customer for 15 years & this was not agreed upon my initial policy. With their depreciation close, in fact for the past 5 years, I was paying insurance for nothing since wall, roof, impact windows were done in 2004 & 2008. AC were done in 2012, so after 5 years they were worth $0 upon their depreciation clause. Even my covered bar which was Hurricane Proof code in 2004 for winds 125 mph but got destroyed as we had gusts at 155 mph was too old. Case is in litigation.

My Lawyer talked to Citizens Adjuster who told him « "We got so many cases, you have very little chance to get anything," I am instructed to lowball & deduct the Max, we denied all claims & maybe we will settle in litigation for only the few cases that fight back & last, like Sandy, Citizens is paid to process claims & wait for the state or the federal Govt to pick up the tab. Since, Federal Govt has paid almost nothing, we just denied & delay. That's what Citizens adjuster told us. Crooks, white collar thieves, they collect & don't pay, why have an insurance?

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Citizens Inspectors- Wind Mitigation Inspection - I, like millions of homeowners in Florida received a letter in the mail in late 2012 from Citizens, stating that they were going to "soon be conducting a home inspection of my property. The purpose was to verify that the structural characteristics of the home reflect what they have on record, and to ensure that I was paying the appropriate premiums."

To the contrary of what they said in the letter, the Citizens inspectors did not have determining appropriate premiums in mind. They missed many credits that I was due. The inspector did not take the time to do the proper research/documentation to give the homeowner the proper credits. But that was to be expected since they were hired by Citizens, and had only Citizens' interests at heart. Does anyone else still have a copy of their 2012 letter from them- let me know **. As someone who has performed thousands of inspections on buildings in my life, it was very obvious why they sent out inspectors... not to be fair, but to perform inspections that benefit them and increase millions of Florida homeowner premiums. The sad part is that 99% of the public doesn't realize what was done to them and think there is nothing they can do about it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

This has to be the worst insurance company ever. I had property and auto insurance with them for 3 years and thankfully I never had to file a claim. I finally cancelled my policy because of increased premiums and horrible customer service. While I should have received a pro-rated credit, they send me a bill for $240 and tell my policy is billed in arrears which is false because I have never missed a payment. While I requested a breakdown/explanation for the billing miscalculation, they have yet to provide to me. They were very rude and threaten to send my account to collections. I do not recommend this company for any kind of insurance coverage.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Never send a payment into these guys early. My policy was due Feb 10 - cheques was dated for Feb 1 - they cashed it on Jan 10 - how can that be legal? How can a cheque be cashed 3 weeks before the date clearly presented on the cheque?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Property Insurance Corporation?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

At first we were thrilled that we found a company to insure our home as we were having a problem prior to this insurance company 'cause of a lapse in insurance. Now we have received a letter telling us that we are uninsurable due to disrepair. They sent someone to our home. No one announced that they were there and they saw that the house was under construction at this point and labeled it disrepair. Where do they come up with that! We are in the process of restoring the front and rear of our home with new roof and siding. If they would have bothered to knock on the door my husband would have went over all that is going on. Instead they jump to conclusions. Now after the 21st of January 2018 we are uninsured again!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

2017 - Hurricane Irma! We have had Citizens for years on two homes and never had we experienced anything like this. This company should be shut down NOW! We have never had a claim before and paid mega bucks for 2 homes for many years, and now we need help to put a back roof back on our home and with the service we got and the lies they tell you is so unreal! They refuse two claims to get our home fixed to replacement condition which states in our policy, and refuse to pay what our estimates stated it would cost to replace just part of our roof.

It was hard to find a contractor during this time since they were in such demand. And I went through two and even though the second one stated that the repairs are the same as the second and almost 1/2 price less, Citizens refuses to pay for our repairs. This company and their employees are all the most unprofessional people I have ever came in contact with. They string you alone lie after lie weeks after weeks and never had no intention in paying us anything on our claim! I am hiring a Lawyer asap, and calling it on your side to put a stop to this companies! Unbelievable tactic they used on us! Unlawful to no end!

Don't hire this company to Insurance anything! It's best to have no Insurance than pay a company that is suppose to be there for you when you need them most! Don't know how this company and their employees sleep at night. I hope they get what is coming to them! God be with them! They surely will rot in hell! First they said no they will not pay. The estimate is too large, they won't pay for the permit, they won't pay for two coats of paint, which require kilts and one coat of paint, they won't pay for clean-up, they nitpick on everything and you sit there and say, "How can they do this?"

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Unfortunately my husband and I made the grave mistake of entrusting Citizens with our insurance policy. Hurricane Irma hit and caused significant damage to our condo. We filed a claim immediately and mitigated as much of the damage as we could. We were aware the influx of claims so were understanding it took two weeks to even hear from someone after we called every day. Latoya ** was our adjuster and could not have been more rude nor more cruel. The wind was so strong it had bent the frame of our windows, even though they were boarded up, water poured in. The field adjuster who came and inspected our property explained that was how the water entered. We did not simply make this up. This was not a flood rather the winds damaged our structure allowing the water to come in.

Latoya agreed we were covered for such an instance however disagreed that wind had anything to do with our devastation now costing upwards of $20,000-$25,000. Walls, flooring, closets, furniture, etc. all had to be replaced and the mold is out of control. We called repeatedly ultimately speaking to another adjuster who helped us connect with Latoya. They had no issue accepting our payments but when push came to shove they left us in tears.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

This company said they would give us 3,000 dollars to fix an entire roof on a four-bedroom home. The 10,000 they were keeping from us was our deductible. How in the world can we fix a roof with 3,000 dollars? Last night we had a bad thunderstorm, my autistic son woke up with his shirt wet and cold and pillows from a new leak on our roof. My French Provential Furniture was ruined because another leak formed somewhere else in the house, not including the 3 other major leaks we have been dealing with since the storm. How can this happen!!!

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2017

"Wind driven rain," NOT Wind fornication rain? Stupid auto spell!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Citizens won't pay for damage to my home from wind fornication rainwater coming in from under entry doors, windows, and airconditioner. Also won't reimburse for lodging expenses for six days. Was in an evacuated area and due to health issues, could not return until power was restored. When I turned water back on, the hose on toilet leaked and carpet in hallway was ruined. Said not covered?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had Citizens insurance for over a year and I've never needed to open a claim with them till a leak from the upstairs apartment completely damaged my bathroom (my apartment is under the leak), so I called them to open a claim. It's been almost 3 months and nothing was done till this day. I call them and I get nowhere, my adjuster does not know how to do her job and does not contact me back at all. As soon as my policy expires I will change to any other insurance I can find, I don't think there can be a worse one than this one. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! COMPLETELY USELESS!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We were very happy with Citizens, when we had a claim a few years ago, it was quickly resolved and we got much more than we had anticipated. A few years later, somehow and without our consent, we were dropped and placed with SAFEPOINT Insurance company, the new company informed us it was for our own good because Citizens was planning on raising their premiums by 45%. It was all a lie, Safepoint is now charging us twice what Citizens was after forcing us to increase our DWELLING coverage by $36,000, but Personal Property remained the same as it was with Citizens.

We are in the process of getting back with Citizens but are now being required to inspect our property, which will cost us money and we expect to have to make some repairs to be approved, Citizens is also requiring to increase our Dwelling coverage to twice what it was originally, which will increase our premiums by twice what we were paying Citizens before we were moved to Safepoint, but at least our Personal Property coverage will be increased to 50% of Dwelling and many other benefits will be increased to very good amounts. I just wish I had known about what SAFEPOINT was doing and not allow them to kidnap us from Citizens. Be aware of other companies, such as SAFEPOINT INSURANCE, trying to get your business away from Citizens, under false pretenses and then raising your premiums to much more what Citizens charges.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I own a carpet cleaning and restoration business. We handle many floods that aren't fake. We provide the best services to handle the problem for the customer. I dealt with Citizens more since they're cheapest for people to pay. I would recommend switching Insurances. They don't pay for the and have a cap for our work. Like roof you need to pay for us to put a tarp which would cost you 1500$ which most people do not like to pay for. They fight contractors who are there to help you. We need to sue them to get money from them all the time so when you have Citizens expect to get the minion work from contractors. I wish you the best of luck.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I had two 2 bedroom villas insured with People's Trust Insurance company. The much larger villa was insured for 800 per year, while the 400 smaller square foot home was 500 dollars more which puzzled, however it was a multilevel home while the one with greater square footage was one floor. Anyway they sent an investigator, we sent them copies of the 30,000 we had spent 5 and 6 years earlier to have both homes completely reroofed. They sent contract which were signed and agreed upon.

After signing both contracts I was informed they wanted to do a SECOND inspection. A woman showed up and after crawling on both rooftops told me they were excellent. I had purchased a new in wall soap dish for a completely redone bathroom that cost 5,000 dollars and the soap dish had just arrived and I explained I would be using an industrial adhesive to replace the dish. The woman they sent then asked me if I would do a personal favor for her and rent my upper floor bedroom with private bathroom balcony fully furnished for 400 a month. She explained that was all he could afford and insinuated I might have issues with people's trust if I refused to rent. I told her I would consider it and asked her to come back with him. Naturally 400 a month is preposterous to a man I don't know and even had I been friends 600 was the minimum and would have been a generous deal with no other expenses.

She returned the next day and I had a recording device in my cargo pants pocket that recorded her threats and demand that I rent this room to her brother. I save the room for my long time female companion who has 5 years left until she can retire at 50 and live with me however she spends her vacations and personal time with me. I had a death in my family and returned to New Jersey with my Mother. We were there for almost 5 weeks and didn't come across People's Trust demand. We get the roof redone as well as the already done soap dish by a licensed company. The People's trust insurer was unethical and ultimately after my refusal mentioned the soap dish which I showed her on her visit the next day.

When we returned from New Jersey we went through several weeks of mail and eventually came across a letter from People's trust demanding the soap dish be replaced by a licensed plumber and the roof resurfaced by a licensed roofer. My Mother couldn't find the second roofing contract for 1631, which I had stated was the reason for the higher quote however after contacting Handyman Roofing, they questioned the woman's conclusions as did I when I went on the roof with them. We got a new copy of the original 14,000 roofing job as well as photos of the soap dish in question and sent them to People's Trust. We received a letter on Tuesday informing us we were being dropped for failure to comply, despite the fact we had complied, despite only having access for a week and had mailed their office contracts, photos and even the retarring.

People Trust's inspector blackmailed me to rent a room and their company acted as if they weren't sent a detailed large envelope of compliance. Like their inspector, they were unethical, albeit without the implied blackmail which after I refused to rent a threat she carried out. I am now complaining to State agencies and will sue People's Trust civilly for their inspector's threats as well as their refusal to acknowledge compliance. People's trust was supplied with email, address and phone numbers of Handyman roofing and could have called to substantiate the fact they had reroofed to building as well as retarred it regardless of no need.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

My home was hit by a twister during Hurricane Hermine causing significant damage. Had a residential/commercial contractor with over 40 years experience survey the damage and thereafter provided a proposal to restore my home to its pre-storm condition. His proposal included the material costs required pursuant to the Home Depot website. Following submission of my claim to Citizens Property Insurance Corp. the initial adjuster came on site and reviewed all the damage. He was very cooperative and I felt good as to his assessment. After that Citizens changed adjusters and assigned my case to a dumb desk jockey in Jacksonville who in my opinion probably needed help in finding his way home after work. How dumb - he approved a 5 foot sliding glass door unit to fit in a 6 ft opening. He disregarded totally several areas of significant damage and finally sent me a check with a letter that said "here is our check, we are closing your file."

My response was **. Moved for mediation thereafter pursuant to law and their representative at mediation was not concerned with the omitted damaged areas at all. It was his way or the highway. I walked out as I realized that Citizens in good faith was not concerned in resolving the issues but rather deploying the shaft. I now have to find a good attorney to file suit against Citizens, which I will, and in the meantime my home continues exposed to the elements. A suit can only be brought against Citizens for actual damages, not bad faith. Unfortunately here in Florida Citizens cannot be sued for bad faith as it was created by the legislature and protected by statute. You can sue other companies though for bad faith.

Following the recent hurricanes I would like to find an attorney who can put together a class action lawsuit against Citizens where a pattern of intentional infliction of emotional distress can be filed on behalf of myself and other homeowners screwed by Citizens. Intentional infliction of emotional distress is a viable action that can be filed against Citizens. If you have Citizens Insurance be prepared for a major headache and do not hesitate to hire an attorney. In my case I have conclusive evidence Citizens has breached their contract with me and in has such a motion to dismiss by Citizens in a lawsuit will not be dismissed. Thereafter Citizens will be subjected to my attorney's fees and court costs which will be more than that they would spend on resolving my claim. BEWARE OF CITIZENS IS ALL I CAN SAY.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

Three roofs on my home were damaged by the recent hurricane. I have spent ALL my free time trying to get them to pay what the roofing company needs to do the work. Sure I will pay my deductible which is more than half but they simply will not pay their share because they expect the work to be done at some ridiculously low rate. Because of their delays I cannot get a roofer do the rest of the work for months now and all the time the damage grows. I will be CANCELLING ALL PROPERTY INSURANCE IN ALL MY PROPERTIES COUNTRYWIDE NEXT YEAR AND PUTTING THE MONEY INTO SAVINGS. These people are a ridiculous bunch of time wasters.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

As far as can see Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a bogus organization that lets seniors rot before they pay for a claim... I say criminal because I know of such a case. 86-year old widow, home flooded and roof down and claim denied. This case in the courts right now 4 months later... In the meanwhile the home is full of mold and she is still living in the home.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

They're great service protection and I'd recommend them anytime to everyone and cheap to pay every month and very beneficial to me and my family. I'm very Happy with them now and will keep them for awhile.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

They cut the valuation of my property; but I have to admit they did cut the premium. They no longer cover most things like the shed, screen porch carport. It's basic coverage. Unfortunately, no other insurance is available to us because we have a mobile home covered by Florida State insurance.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I have had Citizens for almost 6 years as my homeowner's insurance. I have only made 1 claim in those 6 years and they handled it fairly quickly. They were easy to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Quick quote and awesome rates. Coverage vs. rate is very good. The agent has been very helpful answering all our answers and we receive our notice of changes on time.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

After State Farm dropped me years ago - even after never making a claim - Citizens was the only one to pick me up. I appreciate having them but the rates are so very high. Have been a homeowner for over 30 years and have never made a claim. Could've bought a new home with all the insurance dollars I have spent. The rates continue to climb with no sign of relief.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

Refused a claim stating it was too old for a water & mold damage although all the hoops were jumped. The adjuster was very nice helping as much as he could. The company doing the repair work left a mess & did not care at all. Part of the wood panel was left with a foot showing in the family room with another gaping hole in the kitchen. Molding was left undone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

They are great because I have never had to use them. Always a live person on the phone and willing to help. They work well with my mortgage provider and always provide the information needed. Insurance is expensive, but they have managed to keep our rates steady over 9 years.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

Had the diamond come out of the setting and I lost it. They corrected the issue ASAP!! They required the estimate on the ring and the jewelry store provided that. Once verified the insurance company sent me a check for the amount needed in order to have my ring repaired and shined up as new!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

They are always there, ready to help and take the time to answer any and all questions you may have about anything concerning your insurance policy. In a time where people feel disconnected to each other, this company connects with its customers well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

StateFarm came through for me when my house got flooded from septic tank. They replaced all my carpet and fixed all damage right away. Also when things got stolen from garage they covered that also.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

Citizens' policy premiums goes up every time I renew my policy. Unfortunately it's the only insurance company that I could afford. Citizens' coverage isn't that great.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I have never had to use them but confident they would be if needed. As far as citizens they are a solid company with a good reputation and have been around a long time and will continue to be.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

When we first bought our house, our windstorm insurance was approximately $1,500 per year. After the bad hurricane years, the Florida Legislature formed Citizen's Property Insurance and we were forced to insure through Citizen's. The Legislature said the new rates would help the residents of Florida. What a joke! We now pay over $17,000 per year for our 938 square foot house. We have never had a claim on our Citizen's policy. Our rates just go up and up. Because of this, we are planning to sell and move next year. By the time we do that, we will have paid nearly as much in insurance as we have for our mortgage. Why aren't our elected officials in Tallahassee protecting the consumers from this company?

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Company Information