Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Jacksonville, FL

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Three roofs on my home were damaged by the recent hurricane. I have spent ALL my free time trying to get them to pay what the roofing company needs to do the work. Sure I will pay my deductible which is more than half but they simply will not pay their share because they expect the work to be done at some ridiculously low rate. Because of their delays I cannot get a roofer do the rest of the work for months now and all the time the damage grows. I will be CANCELLING ALL PROPERTY INSURANCE IN ALL MY PROPERTIES COUNTRYWIDE NEXT YEAR AND PUTTING THE MONEY INTO SAVINGS. These people are a ridiculous bunch of time wasters.

As far as can see Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a bogus organization that lets seniors rot before they pay for a claim... I say criminal because I know of such a case. 86-year old widow, home flooded and roof down and claim denied. This case in the courts right now 4 months later... In the meanwhile the home is full of mold and she is still living in the home.

They're great service protection and I'd recommend them anytime to everyone and cheap to pay every month and very beneficial to me and my family. I'm very Happy with them now and will keep them for awhile.

They cut the valuation of my property; but I have to admit they did cut the premium. They no longer cover most things like the shed, screen porch carport. It's basic coverage. Unfortunately, no other insurance is available to us because we have a mobile home covered by Florida State insurance.

I have had Citizens for almost 6 years as my homeowner's insurance. I have only made 1 claim in those 6 years and they handled it fairly quickly. They were easy to deal with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Property Insurance Corporation?

Quick quote and awesome rates. Coverage vs. rate is very good. The agent has been very helpful answering all our answers and we receive our notice of changes on time.

After State Farm dropped me years ago - even after never making a claim - Citizens was the only one to pick me up. I appreciate having them but the rates are so very high. Have been a homeowner for over 30 years and have never made a claim. Could've bought a new home with all the insurance dollars I have spent. The rates continue to climb with no sign of relief.

Refused a claim stating it was too old for a water & mold damage although all the hoops were jumped. The adjuster was very nice helping as much as he could. The company doing the repair work left a mess & did not care at all. Part of the wood panel was left with a foot showing in the family room with another gaping hole in the kitchen. Molding was left undone.

They are great because I have never had to use them. Always a live person on the phone and willing to help. They work well with my mortgage provider and always provide the information needed. Insurance is expensive, but they have managed to keep our rates steady over 9 years.

Had the diamond come out of the setting and I lost it. They corrected the issue ASAP!! They required the estimate on the ring and the jewelry store provided that. Once verified the insurance company sent me a check for the amount needed in order to have my ring repaired and shined up as new!!!

They are always there, ready to help and take the time to answer any and all questions you may have about anything concerning your insurance policy. In a time where people feel disconnected to each other, this company connects with its customers well.

StateFarm came through for me when my house got flooded from septic tank. They replaced all my carpet and fixed all damage right away. Also when things got stolen from garage they covered that also.

Citizens' policy premiums goes up every time I renew my policy. Unfortunately it's the only insurance company that I could afford. Citizens' coverage isn't that great.

I have never had to use them but confident they would be if needed. As far as citizens they are a solid company with a good reputation and have been around a long time and will continue to be.

When we first bought our house, our windstorm insurance was approximately $1,500 per year. After the bad hurricane years, the Florida Legislature formed Citizen's Property Insurance and we were forced to insure through Citizen's. The Legislature said the new rates would help the residents of Florida. What a joke! We now pay over $17,000 per year for our 938 square foot house. We have never had a claim on our Citizen's policy. Our rates just go up and up. Because of this, we are planning to sell and move next year. By the time we do that, we will have paid nearly as much in insurance as we have for our mortgage. Why aren't our elected officials in Tallahassee protecting the consumers from this company?

Citizens Insurance Sucks! If you have a claim they will not cover you but they will send you a notice that they were unable to debit your account which is BS! There was plenty of money in the account and they simply cancelled policy. They suck and I would never, even if free, insure with them. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!! CITIZENS INSURANCE IS THE WORST COMPANY WE'VE EVER DEALT WITH!!!

I live in MIchigan, customer for over 20 years, NO claims!!! They increased my rates from $800 to $1845, with a $200 discount = $1645 per year for being a GREAT customer. The increase was due to the homeowners in California having fires and such in so many words. Yes we left them and signed off that we have coverage with another company for one third the cost, NOW they are continuing to take money from my account. THAT'S JUST WRONG!!! That management team NEEDS TO FIRED!! Not the people being told how to stick it the customer. They forgot who the CUSTOMER IS, what is QUALITY SERVICE and where there paycheck comes from.. NOT let's give ourselves a raise and we double everyones prem. Bull.

I have been a customer of Citizens Insurance in Michigan for almost 20 years. In just over 10 years, my homeowners coverage has gone from $700 to almost $1600 a year, with an increase in deductible of $250 to $2500. They had my homeowner's replacement cost over-inflated by $75,000 and would not change it. The insurance agent at HUB International was not willing to find or work for a better rate. Then Citizens apparently mandated that all claims go directly through them, bypassing my agent completely. And the agent gets a residual on my premium, why?

Needless to say I finally left and went with a different agent and insurance company. Now, I have a bill for the cancellation of my auto and homeowners of $6.46 for one day's worth of coverage on my auto. Citizens owes me a refund for two days of coverage on my homeowners! The fee they are charging is a 123 percent increase on what I was paying for my auto insurance if you broke it down on a daily basis. Huh? I let the agent know I would report this if it is not fixed. Just another insult to my wallet.

I am very unhappy with Citizens and how it does not reward its customers for their loyalty. They are well known for hiking rates on people every year and only giving first time incentives for signing up with their company. They like to charge highly inflated rates! Michigan really needs to look into their business practices as well as agents like HUB International. We should be held hostage this way and insurance agents need to do the job they are paid to do.

In just over a year I've had to pay over $400.00 in shortages on my escrow account due to Citizens unwarranted, constant premium hikes. Two years ago I had to hire a licensed private Inspector to come in and inspect my home at Citizens request. The Inspector turned over his report to Citizens who was not satisfied because the following year they sent in their own bogus Inspector who didn't even know what the hell he was doing. My home was currently under renovation with all the necessary permits from the City Of Deerfield Beach. This clown claimed that my house didn't have the required hurricane straps simple because he was too lazy to get up into the attic during the summer. I had to provide him with a ladder and all the necessary lightings in order for me to get credit for the straps. He also claimed that my windows and doors were not impact resistant because he didn't see any labels on them.

I promptly showed him the product approvals for all the windows and doors plus the signatures of the City's Inspectors who signed off on the installations. Obviously this wasn't good enough for this guy as I did not get any credit for the impact resistant windows and doors that I am still paying for. They are now forcing my Mom who recently had a debilitating stroke and lives in a retirement community to carry flood insurance because the map in her neighborhood was redrawn, even though this area hasn't had any flooding in over a hundred years. Governor Scott and the Florida Legislatures are turning a blind eye while Citizens and other windstorm insurance companies are making it impossible for poor people to own a piece of the American dream. It is quite ironic how Citizens was created as a last resort to help the residents of Florida to have affordable windstorm coverage.

Now they are bullying and strong arming people out of their homes with high unsustainable premiums. How can these officials justify these outrageous premium hikes when we haven't even had any significant storms in South Florida for the past several years. I sincerely hope that my fellow Floridians remember this when they go to the ballot box in the Local Government Elections and not just in the General Elections.

We noticed a crack on the side of our house just after we moved in about 5 years ago. When we noticed more cracks a few years later, we made a claim to Citizens. They asked when we first noticed the cracks and we told them we noticed a crack a few years ago, but just for one small crack in the house we are not going to make a claim. They had our home tested for sinkhole and it did have one. Now they said we did not report it in time, and they are not only not going to cover it, they are going to cancel us. We paid for sinkhole coverage all those years, if they won't cover it, then they are ripping us off. I WANT A REFUND OF OUR PREMIUM, THEN!! This must be illegal in some way!

In 2013 I had laminate floors throughout my home. I noticed some damage in the kitchen and thought perhaps it was normal wear. At the same time we were going thru some major rainstorms in our area, so when the damage worsened I thought it was due to water damage from the rain. Turns out, there was a broken main drain from my kitchen wall, the water went into my family room, living room, dining room and needless to say the kitchen. Citizens was wonderful. They sent a inspector who noticed I also had a roof leak on my back open patio (which was not covered), but when it came to the interior, I have to say that Citizens and their employees were tremendously helpful and responsive. I did hire a public adjuster at the suggestion of the contractor and he was able to increase the amount a bit. Given the bad rep that Citizens has, I just felt I should say that I had a very positive experience with them.

I was bitten by the neighbor's dog in January 2014, I sought help from a attorney and the attorney did research on the homeowners home insurance. He found they didn't have insurance for the dog, so now months later I get a large bill for my treatment. These people should be held accountable for their dog's actions. I have a dog now for fifteen years and she won't leave the yard to go across the street to another neighbor's home to bite them. I think the owner should pay the whole bill, including me for my pain and suffering.

Just received a complete policy with billing for Homeowners Insurance from Florida Peninsular Insurance Co., complete with billing. I have received no prior communication from Peninsular, giving me the chance to decline their coverage. I WANT TO STAY WITH Citizens Insurance, with which I am perfectly satisfied. I immediately contacted the Agent who originally sold me a policy from Citizens, ABC Dennis Insurance Inc., 1022 Land o' lakes Blvd, Lutz, FL 33549, 813-949-7765, but they informed me that this sort of "take-out" from Citizens is legal in Florida.

In the past I have issued the opt-out letter to a number of other fly-by-night insurers, but I may not have received notification from Peninsular giving me the opportunity to opt out. I feel completely resentful that this was done without any direct contact from Florida Peninsula informing me of their intention. DO THEY HAVE A CERTIFIABLY LEGAL DOCUMENT SHOWING THAT THEY MAILED ME AN OPPORTUNITY TO OPT OUT OF THEIR H.O. INSURANCE? In any case, I have never before encountered this way of doing business. "Opting-out" of agreements on the internet is one thing, but Florida's insane way of forcing THEIR insurance companies on Florida Homeowners is beyond being ethical - it is EVIL. Therefore, my reply to Florida Peninsula is simple:

1.- I am not going to pay the bill sent by Florida Peninsula.
2.- I will opt instead to do business with an insurance company of own choosing.
3.- I will join every group that seeks to sue the state of Florida for creating this insurance monster.

4.- I will contact the U.S. Government and relate my problems to their Consumer Protection Agency, with a copy to U.S. Atty. General Holder (in writing!).

I sincerely hope there is something you can do to spare me all this extra work. Thank you.

Last year around August I got dirty water overflow all over my kitchen & toilets did not flush. My first action was called a plumber. After various intents to unclog the kitchen sink he said the problem was under the kitchen floor. So it will be necessary to dig & look for the pipe with the problem. He suggest to call a company to removed the water overflowing, and homeowners insurance. My friend give me some #s for ins/adjusters and I got one that start the claim with the insurance. I got the plumbing part fix at least until the Citizen agent came a month later and denied the claim saying that this was a pre-existing problem. This is unreal. I have been living in this house for over 15 years and never had a problem. So the adjuster pass the case to the lawyer & every time I call the lawyer's office they said my case is in litigation & the worst part is that after all these inconveniences, big roaches and insects coming from the horrible hole in my kitchen floor, the ins/policy expired so, in order to renew it Citizens demand that the kitchen need to be fix completely.

I got my bill for homeowner's insurance on my modest 2-bedroom house in an ordinary neighborhood in Hollywood. It's almost 4,000 dollars. I had to cancel it. It's not affordable. I blame Rick Scott. I will be voting for Charlie Crist and I will be leaving Florida. Good riddance Citizens!!

In 2013 I submitted a claim to Citizens. Have my roof repaired, they requested an est. from a licensed roofer. I submitted this est. My claim was denied. They raised my premium, blacklisted and sent me a notice my policy will be cancelled 12/23/14.

I had a rental unit that had a renter that vandalized the bathroom sink and cut the water line flooding the entire bathroom and laundry room! I finally got them evicted after three months, causing mold as well. And when I turned in my claim to Citizens, they told me that my policy was a zone #1 and it didn't pay mold on that type of claim? Even though my agent and my guidelines said that it did? Up to $10k for mold alone? The estimator at Citizens told me to come back after hours and break out the bathroom window, throw a garden hose in the window, turn it on full blast and they would then pay the claim?? He told me his boss was an ** and just was after a big bonus at the end of the yr!! Anyway I did not do that of course.

So then my estimator told me to file a claim with a law group that he had worked in the past and then Citizens would pay! So I did, and after the heat was on his office, he called me back a month later and told me to stop the claim in writing and File a Vandalism claim without the mold and they would pay it!! His boss would be in a corner!! That was nine months ago. And it's still not paid! Oh and to make things worse, I hired a mold mediation company which my estimator told me as well as them to go ahead and start to remove the mold and all water damaged parts and now my bill is over $25k and still growing!

Bought the house in 2011. Citizens showed it was 764 square feet, but actual footage was 1400.... under all the same roof line. They refused to change the square footage so couldn't get full coverage on my property. Citizens had their own property appraiser come, took pictures, and proved that it was 1400 square feet-still refused to insure more than 764 sq ft. Had it reassessed by the county in 2014 for "proof" that it was 1400 square feet, but they still refuse to cover more than 764 square feet.

Has anyone notice how Citizens is lowering the insurable worth of older mobile homes to the point where your coverage is far below what you still owe on your mobile? Citizens is the only insurance that older mobile home owners can get and this leaves us in a very tight situation with our lien holder. If the state of Florida didn't want to be in the insurance business why in the hell did they start Citizens? I would venture to guess that there are a lot of people on Citizens insurance rolls that could actually get insurance through a private carrier, but yet, Citizens allows them coverage. Citizens was founded on the premise of being the insurer of last resort. Insuring customers where that isn't the case is unacceptable and they should be removed... or as citizens calls it "depopulated" not the ones whose only insurance choice is Citizens. I feel we are getting screwed 6 ways to Sunday by the Florida legislature and Citizens. There has to be legalities involved here. The legislature and Citizens need to be called out on this.

Where should I start? On October 1st 2013, a rep. from Miami Dade water and sewer came to our home and basically said that our meter was running non stop and that we have a leak somewhere between the meter and our home. He also advised us to contact a plumber to find out where exactly was the leak located. Cool, so I call my neighbor who happens to be a plumber amongst other things. He basically says that I need to call my insurance. Ok, so I call my insurance (Citizens) and they send someone out. The guy comes with his partner who he seems to be training and they basically talk amongst themselves while I stand there clueless as to what's going on. Keep in mind that it took approximately a week for Citizens to send out their adjuster.

In between all of the waiting, I get a bill for $2,600 from Miami Dade water and sewer. (My bill normally runs about $54 every three months.) The adjuster ask if I've contacted anyone regarding this, I said, "No, should I have?" He says, "Good, good, no you don't need to." I'm new to all of this. I've never had to file a claim before. I'm pretty much trusting that Citizens will follow through because this a pretty open shut case. Wrong! So my neighbor advised me to get my own adjuster so I DID. And my adjuster pretty much told me Citizens doesn't like to pay out on claims. Remember that this has been since October...... In the meantime, I hire a plumber to fix one of the leaks to find out where the remaining leaks were. Yes, there's more than one! The leak that's causing the damage is the pipe that runs under the house that feeds my laundry room, bathroom and kitchen. All of the damage is in the bathroom and kitchen.

Fast forward to December 19, 2013. My adjuster contacts me and says that Citizens had denied my claim stating "existing water damage". Are you serious? So now it's January and I now have a water bill of $5,700, plumbing damage totaling 11,000 not including the cost to redo the kitchen and bathroom after the walls have been torn down to fix the leak. I'm beyond angry!!!! I'm paying over $3,000 a year to Citizens for property insurance for absolutely nothing and ohhh, it gets better. I received a letter that they will be increasing the premium by 45% this year so I should shop around for a better insurance company.

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Company Profile