Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

79 Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I received a letter from Citizens Insurance on July 30 stating my windstorm and homeowners policies would be canceled on Aug 14 if payment wasn't made by this date. Payment was already received by Citizens six weeks earlier on July 3. Upon speaking with my insurance agent as a follow up to the letter, my policy had been canceled weeks ago by Citizens for nonpayment. I did not receive any additional written notification of cancellation from Citizens and they just kept my first installment of $537.00! Apparently, the problem is a well known and long standing problem with Citizens Insurance and the State of tolerates this unethical practice. If you change your payments from annual payments to quarterly payments, Citizens just keeps your money and cancels your policy!

Apparently Citizens computer system is so very old they can not recognize the change in payment frequency from a single annual payment to quarterly payments and as such, and they consider the payment incomplete and past due.They simply accept the payment for which there was no service and cancel your policy without any further communication! This insurance company is our State of FL endorsed windstorm insurance policy carrier and the only place that you can purchase hurricane protection for your home. Therefore, without competition and State overstate ... FL is getting ripped off by Citizens Insurance!

Original review: July 31, 2019

Insured with Citizens Insurance since 2003 for My Property Business, survived 9 Storms with No Damages, My Insurance went from $3500/year to $14,800/year in 14 years. My Business got Hit Bad with Hurricane IRMA, I Lost my entire 1000 SF Bar-Cafe Roof, Got Roof Damages on entire Property, got Water damages as a result total $241,900 Damages estimated by my Property Adjuster.

Citizens Adjuster took 45 days to show up to my Property after IRMA to Inspect Damages, But Request by Phone Not to Clean up, Not to Repair before their Inspection. Their Delay Post Hurricane to Inspect cost even More Damages, With Roof Leaks, Mold, Electrical Damages & Appliances burned. Finally they Show up, Citizens adjuster contested $241,900 Damages with a Countered Estimate at $168,900.

My Coverage was for $250,000 max pay out with a deductible of $21,900. Then Citizens Adjuster came up with an New Calculation that Includes 10% Depreciation a Year on Roof/ Hurricane Impact Windows & everything else, so after Depreciation $168,900 damages estimated by Citizens Adjuster became $9,000 since my Deductible was $21,900 Citizens Insurance offered to Pay Nothing! $0 Nada, Niet, Rien! I hired an Attorney, after 2 years, got a miserable $35,000 out of $241,900 damages.

My Lawyer told Me, "You got a Very Bad Contract with the Depreciation Clause, You have Been paying $14,900/year insurance but they knew for the last 3 years the 10% depreciation/year put Your coverage at $0. + Citizens insurance Is back by the Federal Government, with Republicans in Power, 5 Big Hurricanes in 1 Year, Citizens insurance has instruction to litigate all cases & slow down pay off, as the Federal Government is not funding the Hurricane Recovery! You were paying, but You would be better saving 2 Years Premium & not wait 45 days for Citizens to show up & denied your claim no matter what!"

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I call claim department and report water damage in my kitchen. And they send this field adjuster name Jim **. This guy was very disrespectful and very unprofessional. When got that he start taking pictures all over outside and inside my house and my bedroom and my kids bedroom and I asked him what is my bedroom or my kids bedroom have to do with a kitchen claim damage. And at the end of the claim report he ask to me talk so he can record me. I told him, "No. If you want me to write a statement I will do it and sign it. You get a copy and I get a copy." He say no and he didn't finish my claim report. And it been almost 15 days since I been trying to call the Citizens insurance about this issue. I still have no answer. So if you at there you thinking about getting Citizens insurance don't do it. Bad customer service, very very very bad field adjuster name Jim **. Bad company period.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The worst insurance I’ve ever come across. They will not pay out for claims. Waited 3 months & they denied my claim for property damage saying that the owner was not there so he is not responsible & it happened on a property he owns. I said that’s why he carries property insurance so if something happens it will be covered. Might as well not have insurance than to waste your money on this company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

(Long story but needs to be told) I needed homeowners insurance on my mobile home. I dealt with Bart Borders, (the owner of Borders Insurance agency). He found a company that he said would insure my home, (Citizens Insurance Co). I told him that I needed coverage equivalent to my home equity loan of $65,000. He said that was no problem. First I need a 4 point inspection, which I got from his inspector and cost me $100. That inspection revealed that they would not insure me unless I re-piped my entire home to get rid of polybutylene pipes. So I hired a plumbing company to come do it for $3250 (Now I'm out $3350). All the while I kept telling Bart that I was under time constraint because I was using the loan proceeds to purchase property for my son & his family to have a place to live and I had a deposit of $4500 on the property that I could lose if I didn't have the funds in place by the rapidly approaching closing date.

So now Bart tells me they need an appraisal so they can raise the coverage from their standard $20,000 to the amount I needed, ($65,000) so I email him a copy of the electronic appraisal that I had acquired from the bank. Then he says that won't do because he needs a more comprehensive appraisal so I acquire the appraisal from the bank and forward it to him. He says that won't do either as he needs the "cost approach" on the appraisal. So now I have the bank contact the appraiser to provide the cost approach appraisal, which he did. So now I'm waiting day to day for the insurance binder from Citizens. Bart tells me he needs another photo of the water heater (in addition to the ones I've already took and sent him) so I took it and sent it.

Back to waiting, Bart says that they can't be rushed so, tired of waiting, I call them myself to find out that they were waiting for the signed application, so I told Bart what they said and so he emailed me the application which I signed. Keep in mind I'm already over a month into trying to get an insurance binder for the bank so they can fund my loan. Now Bart tells me that I must pay the policy in full, ($497) with the coverage at $20,000. I told him that I needed $65,000 coverage to which he tells me that I have to pay for the policy first and then re-submit it for processing for the higher coverage. I told him I was out of time, (which I was after ** around for a month!) He told me that every time he spoke with Citizens it was somebody different each time giving him different information each time. They are very un-organized and demand not to be rushed.

Fortunately during most this time I was wasting with Bart & Citizens, I found another insurance company that was more expensive but could do what I (& the bank) needed. I gave them the green light and had a binder in 3 days, no messing around, no inspections, no appraisals, fast & smooth. I'm sick that I spent all that money for a re-pipe job when I didn't have to, my plumbing was fine. I should have went with the other insurance company to begin with. Dealing with Bart & Citizens Insurance was an expensive nightmare. I was made to jump through all sorts of expensive & time consuming hoops for a big fat nothing. A waste of time & money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Property Insurance Corporation?

Original review: April 22, 2018

Almost 20 years being with Citizens, just one I put a claim many years ago, there is not any other insurance in Florida that you can go to. This insurance was allowed in Florida due to our governor, and other "politicians." Just wonder how much Citizens paid them... When Hurricane Irma came, I had damages to my house, like I expected they denied my claim. I got two estimate paid by me sent to them, still they used a nonsense not to pay the water that damaged my house due to the winds, my wood fence was destroy my roof, they always find excuses. I have tried to check other insurances. No one wants to insured people in Florida. They should be investigated by the Insurance Board, enough is enough. They are pure scams. 20 years paying big payments when the times comes they denied the claim. Does any of our politicians in Florida care? Of course not...Miami is scam city.

I'm sick with liver problems with asthma and a damaged house, Fema did nothing for me, but of course they gave millions to Puerto Rico, most of the Puerto Rico had no insurance in their houses, they all came to Orlando and got between 5000 and 10,000, we the Floridians got nothing...in Miami Dade we have many mayors. All useless. They only concerned about how much they are going to get in their paycheck.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Hurricane IRMA left considerable damages to my small hotel, I had extensive roof damages, water leak, 6 AC condensers got sandblast & burned out, my 700sq.ft covered bar cafe got totally destroyed, my fence got damages, appliances at my cafe got destroyed, I got leak in several suites due to 58 roof tiles blown away. I had paid Citizens for 15 years $7000/year always on time. 1st Citizens Property Adjusters took 5 weeks after the Hurricane to show up, I called them on Sept 12 & they request to keep the damages & wait for inspection. 2nd I got a Property Adjuster who came Sept 13th, 2017 & after inspection estimated the total damages @ $241,900 not even counting the business interruption. 3rd, after 5 weeks Citizens adjuster showed up, wrote his report, took photos & took my report & estimates that several contractors came & to support my Property Adjuster claim.

I finally clean up the tons of debris 5 weeks after the storm & start fixing the max I could. Mid-November, Citizens sent me a denied claim from the $241,900 estimated damages, after depreciation, citizens estimated the damages at $9000 & since my deductible was $21,500 they paid $0. Case is now in litigation. My lawyer found out that Citizens insurance added an addendum for depreciation. 10% depreciation/year for wall/windows/roof. 20% depreciation/year for everything else.

Addendum: I never signed since I was their customer for 15 years & this was not agreed upon my initial policy. With their depreciation close, in fact for the past 5 years, I was paying insurance for nothing since wall, roof, impact windows were done in 2004 & 2008. AC were done in 2012, so after 5 years they were worth $0 upon their depreciation clause. Even my covered bar which was Hurricane Proof code in 2004 for winds 125 mph but got destroyed as we had gusts at 155 mph was too old. Case is in litigation.

My Lawyer talked to Citizens Adjuster who told him « "We got so many cases, you have very little chance to get anything," I am instructed to lowball & deduct the Max, we denied all claims & maybe we will settle in litigation for only the few cases that fight back & last, like Sandy, Citizens is paid to process claims & wait for the state or the federal Govt to pick up the tab. Since, Federal Govt has paid almost nothing, we just denied & delay. That's what Citizens adjuster told us. Crooks, white collar thieves, they collect & don't pay, why have an insurance?

Original review: March 9, 2018

Citizens Inspectors- Wind Mitigation Inspection - I, like millions of homeowners in Florida received a letter in the mail in late 2012 from Citizens, stating that they were going to "soon be conducting a home inspection of my property. The purpose was to verify that the structural characteristics of the home reflect what they have on record, and to ensure that I was paying the appropriate premiums."

To the contrary of what they said in the letter, the Citizens inspectors did not have determining appropriate premiums in mind. They missed many credits that I was due. The inspector did not take the time to do the proper research/documentation to give the homeowner the proper credits. But that was to be expected since they were hired by Citizens, and had only Citizens' interests at heart. Does anyone else still have a copy of their 2012 letter from them- let me know **. As someone who has performed thousands of inspections on buildings in my life, it was very obvious why they sent out inspectors... not to be fair, but to perform inspections that benefit them and increase millions of Florida homeowner premiums. The sad part is that 99% of the public doesn't realize what was done to them and think there is nothing they can do about it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

This has to be the worst insurance company ever. I had property and auto insurance with them for 3 years and thankfully I never had to file a claim. I finally cancelled my policy because of increased premiums and horrible customer service. While I should have received a pro-rated credit, they send me a bill for $240 and tell my policy is billed in arrears which is false because I have never missed a payment. While I requested a breakdown/explanation for the billing miscalculation, they have yet to provide to me. They were very rude and threaten to send my account to collections. I do not recommend this company for any kind of insurance coverage.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Never send a payment into these guys early. My policy was due Feb 10 - cheques was dated for Feb 1 - they cashed it on Jan 10 - how can that be legal? How can a cheque be cashed 3 weeks before the date clearly presented on the cheque?

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Company Information