1.64/5
Based on 73 reviews that contain star ratings

Jacksonville, FL

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

75 Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

When we first bought our house, our windstorm insurance was approximately $1,500 per year. After the bad hurricane years, the Florida Legislature formed Citizen's Property Insurance and we were forced to insure through Citizen's. The Legislature said the new rates would help the residents of Florida. What a joke! We now pay over $17,000 per year for our 938 square foot house. We have never had a claim on our Citizen's policy. Our rates just go up and up. Because of this, we are planning to sell and move next year. By the time we do that, we will have paid nearly as much in insurance as we have for our mortgage. Why aren't our elected officials in Tallahassee protecting the consumers from this company?

Original review: June 8, 2015

Citizens Insurance Sucks! If you have a claim they will not cover you but they will send you a notice that they were unable to debit your account which is BS! There was plenty of money in the account and they simply cancelled policy. They suck and I would never, even if free, insure with them. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!! CITIZENS INSURANCE IS THE WORST COMPANY WE'VE EVER DEALT WITH!!!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 31, 2015

I live in MIchigan, customer for over 20 years, NO claims!!! They increased my rates from $800 to $1845, with a $200 discount = $1645 per year for being a GREAT customer. The increase was due to the homeowners in California having fires and such in so many words. Yes we left them and signed off that we have coverage with another company for one third the cost, NOW they are continuing to take money from my account. THAT'S JUST WRONG!!! That management team NEEDS TO FIRED!! Not the people being told how to stick it the customer. They forgot who the CUSTOMER IS, what is QUALITY SERVICE and where there paycheck comes from.. NOT let's give ourselves a raise and we double everyones prem. Bull.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have been a customer of Citizens Insurance in Michigan for almost 20 years. In just over 10 years, my homeowners coverage has gone from $700 to almost $1600 a year, with an increase in deductible of $250 to $2500. They had my homeowner's replacement cost over-inflated by $75,000 and would not change it. The insurance agent at HUB International was not willing to find or work for a better rate. Then Citizens apparently mandated that all claims go directly through them, bypassing my agent completely. And the agent gets a residual on my premium, why?

Needless to say I finally left and went with a different agent and insurance company. Now, I have a bill for the cancellation of my auto and homeowners of $6.46 for one day's worth of coverage on my auto. Citizens owes me a refund for two days of coverage on my homeowners! The fee they are charging is a 123 percent increase on what I was paying for my auto insurance if you broke it down on a daily basis. Huh? I let the agent know I would report this if it is not fixed. Just another insult to my wallet.

I am very unhappy with Citizens and how it does not reward its customers for their loyalty. They are well known for hiking rates on people every year and only giving first time incentives for signing up with their company. They like to charge highly inflated rates! Michigan really needs to look into their business practices as well as agents like HUB International. We should be held hostage this way and insurance agents need to do the job they are paid to do.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

In just over a year I've had to pay over $400.00 in shortages on my escrow account due to Citizens unwarranted, constant premium hikes. Two years ago I had to hire a licensed private Inspector to come in and inspect my home at Citizens request. The Inspector turned over his report to Citizens who was not satisfied because the following year they sent in their own bogus Inspector who didn't even know what the hell he was doing. My home was currently under renovation with all the necessary permits from the City Of Deerfield Beach. This clown claimed that my house didn't have the required hurricane straps simple because he was too lazy to get up into the attic during the summer. I had to provide him with a ladder and all the necessary lightings in order for me to get credit for the straps. He also claimed that my windows and doors were not impact resistant because he didn't see any labels on them.

I promptly showed him the product approvals for all the windows and doors plus the signatures of the City's Inspectors who signed off on the installations. Obviously this wasn't good enough for this guy as I did not get any credit for the impact resistant windows and doors that I am still paying for. They are now forcing my Mom who recently had a debilitating stroke and lives in a retirement community to carry flood insurance because the map in her neighborhood was redrawn, even though this area hasn't had any flooding in over a hundred years. Governor Scott and the Florida Legislatures are turning a blind eye while Citizens and other windstorm insurance companies are making it impossible for poor people to own a piece of the American dream. It is quite ironic how Citizens was created as a last resort to help the residents of Florida to have affordable windstorm coverage.

Now they are bullying and strong arming people out of their homes with high unsustainable premiums. How can these officials justify these outrageous premium hikes when we haven't even had any significant storms in South Florida for the past several years. I sincerely hope that my fellow Floridians remember this when they go to the ballot box in the Local Government Elections and not just in the General Elections.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Property Insurance Corporation?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

We noticed a crack on the side of our house just after we moved in about 5 years ago. When we noticed more cracks a few years later, we made a claim to Citizens. They asked when we first noticed the cracks and we told them we noticed a crack a few years ago, but just for one small crack in the house we are not going to make a claim. They had our home tested for sinkhole and it did have one. Now they said we did not report it in time, and they are not only not going to cover it, they are going to cancel us. We paid for sinkhole coverage all those years, if they won't cover it, then they are ripping us off. I WANT A REFUND OF OUR PREMIUM, THEN!! This must be illegal in some way!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

In 2013 I had laminate floors throughout my home. I noticed some damage in the kitchen and thought perhaps it was normal wear. At the same time we were going thru some major rainstorms in our area, so when the damage worsened I thought it was due to water damage from the rain. Turns out, there was a broken main drain from my kitchen wall, the water went into my family room, living room, dining room and needless to say the kitchen. Citizens was wonderful. They sent a inspector who noticed I also had a roof leak on my back open patio (which was not covered), but when it came to the interior, I have to say that Citizens and their employees were tremendously helpful and responsive. I did hire a public adjuster at the suggestion of the contractor and he was able to increase the amount a bit. Given the bad rep that Citizens has, I just felt I should say that I had a very positive experience with them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

I was bitten by the neighbor's dog in January 2014, I sought help from a attorney and the attorney did research on the homeowners home insurance. He found they didn't have insurance for the dog, so now months later I get a large bill for my treatment. These people should be held accountable for their dog's actions. I have a dog now for fifteen years and she won't leave the yard to go across the street to another neighbor's home to bite them. I think the owner should pay the whole bill, including me for my pain and suffering.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2014

Just received a complete policy with billing for Homeowners Insurance from Florida Peninsular Insurance Co., complete with billing. I have received no prior communication from Peninsular, giving me the chance to decline their coverage. I WANT TO STAY WITH Citizens Insurance, with which I am perfectly satisfied. I immediately contacted the Agent who originally sold me a policy from Citizens, ABC Dennis Insurance Inc., 1022 Land o' lakes Blvd, Lutz, FL 33549, 813-949-7765, but they informed me that this sort of "take-out" from Citizens is legal in Florida.

In the past I have issued the opt-out letter to a number of other fly-by-night insurers, but I may not have received notification from Peninsular giving me the opportunity to opt out. I feel completely resentful that this was done without any direct contact from Florida Peninsula informing me of their intention. DO THEY HAVE A CERTIFIABLY LEGAL DOCUMENT SHOWING THAT THEY MAILED ME AN OPPORTUNITY TO OPT OUT OF THEIR H.O. INSURANCE? In any case, I have never before encountered this way of doing business. "Opting-out" of agreements on the internet is one thing, but Florida's insane way of forcing THEIR insurance companies on Florida Homeowners is beyond being ethical - it is EVIL. Therefore, my reply to Florida Peninsula is simple:

1.- I am not going to pay the bill sent by Florida Peninsula.
2.- I will opt instead to do business with an insurance company of own choosing.
3.- I will join every group that seeks to sue the state of Florida for creating this insurance monster.

4.- I will contact the U.S. Government and relate my problems to their Consumer Protection Agency, with a copy to U.S. Atty. General Holder (in writing!).

I sincerely hope there is something you can do to spare me all this extra work. Thank you.

Original review: July 31, 2014

Last year around August I got dirty water overflow all over my kitchen & toilets did not flush. My first action was called a plumber. After various intents to unclog the kitchen sink he said the problem was under the kitchen floor. So it will be necessary to dig & look for the pipe with the problem. He suggest to call a company to removed the water overflowing, and homeowners insurance. My friend give me some #s for ins/adjusters and I got one that start the claim with the insurance. I got the plumbing part fix at least until the Citizen agent came a month later and denied the claim saying that this was a pre-existing problem. This is unreal. I have been living in this house for over 15 years and never had a problem. So the adjuster pass the case to the lawyer & every time I call the lawyer's office they said my case is in litigation & the worst part is that after all these inconveniences, big roaches and insects coming from the horrible hole in my kitchen floor, the ins/policy expired so, in order to renew it Citizens demand that the kitchen need to be fix completely.

Original review: July 23, 2014

I got my bill for homeowner's insurance on my modest 2-bedroom house in an ordinary neighborhood in Hollywood. It's almost 4,000 dollars. I had to cancel it. It's not affordable. I blame Rick Scott. I will be voting for Charlie Crist and I will be leaving Florida. Good riddance Citizens!!

Original review: July 4, 2014

In 2013 I submitted a claim to Citizens. Have my roof repaired, they requested an est. from a licensed roofer. I submitted this est. My claim was denied. They raised my premium, blacklisted and sent me a notice my policy will be cancelled 12/23/14.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I had a rental unit that had a renter that vandalized the bathroom sink and cut the water line flooding the entire bathroom and laundry room! I finally got them evicted after three months, causing mold as well. And when I turned in my claim to Citizens, they told me that my policy was a zone #1 and it didn't pay mold on that type of claim? Even though my agent and my guidelines said that it did? Up to $10k for mold alone? The estimator at Citizens told me to come back after hours and break out the bathroom window, throw a garden hose in the window, turn it on full blast and they would then pay the claim?? He told me his boss was an ** and just was after a big bonus at the end of the yr!! Anyway I did not do that of course.

So then my estimator told me to file a claim with a law group that he had worked in the past and then Citizens would pay! So I did, and after the heat was on his office, he called me back a month later and told me to stop the claim in writing and File a Vandalism claim without the mold and they would pay it!! His boss would be in a corner!! That was nine months ago. And it's still not paid! Oh and to make things worse, I hired a mold mediation company which my estimator told me as well as them to go ahead and start to remove the mold and all water damaged parts and now my bill is over $25k and still growing!

Original review: May 13, 2014

Bought the house in 2011. Citizens showed it was 764 square feet, but actual footage was 1400.... under all the same roof line. They refused to change the square footage so couldn't get full coverage on my property. Citizens had their own property appraiser come, took pictures, and proved that it was 1400 square feet-still refused to insure more than 764 sq ft. Had it reassessed by the county in 2014 for "proof" that it was 1400 square feet, but they still refuse to cover more than 764 square feet.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2014

Has anyone notice how Citizens is lowering the insurable worth of older mobile homes to the point where your coverage is far below what you still owe on your mobile? Citizens is the only insurance that older mobile home owners can get and this leaves us in a very tight situation with our lien holder. If the state of Florida didn't want to be in the insurance business why in the hell did they start Citizens? I would venture to guess that there are a lot of people on Citizens insurance rolls that could actually get insurance through a private carrier, but yet, Citizens allows them coverage. Citizens was founded on the premise of being the insurer of last resort. Insuring customers where that isn't the case is unacceptable and they should be removed... or as citizens calls it "depopulated" not the ones whose only insurance choice is Citizens. I feel we are getting screwed 6 ways to Sunday by the Florida legislature and Citizens. There has to be legalities involved here. The legislature and Citizens need to be called out on this.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2014

Where should I start? On October 1st 2013, a rep. from Miami Dade water and sewer came to our home and basically said that our meter was running non stop and that we have a leak somewhere between the meter and our home. He also advised us to contact a plumber to find out where exactly was the leak located. Cool, so I call my neighbor who happens to be a plumber amongst other things. He basically says that I need to call my insurance. Ok, so I call my insurance (Citizens) and they send someone out. The guy comes with his partner who he seems to be training and they basically talk amongst themselves while I stand there clueless as to what's going on. Keep in mind that it took approximately a week for Citizens to send out their adjuster.

In between all of the waiting, I get a bill for $2,600 from Miami Dade water and sewer. (My bill normally runs about $54 every three months.) The adjuster ask if I've contacted anyone regarding this, I said, "No, should I have?" He says, "Good, good, no you don't need to." I'm new to all of this. I've never had to file a claim before. I'm pretty much trusting that Citizens will follow through because this a pretty open shut case. Wrong! So my neighbor advised me to get my own adjuster so I DID. And my adjuster pretty much told me Citizens doesn't like to pay out on claims. Remember that this has been since October...... In the meantime, I hire a plumber to fix one of the leaks to find out where the remaining leaks were. Yes, there's more than one! The leak that's causing the damage is the pipe that runs under the house that feeds my laundry room, bathroom and kitchen. All of the damage is in the bathroom and kitchen.

Fast forward to December 19, 2013. My adjuster contacts me and says that Citizens had denied my claim stating "existing water damage". Are you serious? So now it's January and I now have a water bill of $5,700, plumbing damage totaling 11,000 not including the cost to redo the kitchen and bathroom after the walls have been torn down to fix the leak. I'm beyond angry!!!! I'm paying over $3,000 a year to Citizens for property insurance for absolutely nothing and ohhh, it gets better. I received a letter that they will be increasing the premium by 45% this year so I should shop around for a better insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2013

I just read an article in the Sunday TBT about sinkhole repairs. I found it rather interesting because my husband who is a 49 year old DISABLED veteran and I are in somewhat of the same situation with the exception of us not being able to live in our home due to it having a sinkhole and making us extremely ill. We have a VA loan on our home that is now in foreclosure and with my husband who received over 40 injuries while in the military needs the VA desperately for medical care. We will probably never be able to get another VA loan because of this either.

We bought our new dream home in February 2009 in Tarpon Springs, FL and within a year we noticed cracks, popping sounds at night and blocks blowing out of our garage wall. There were and are hundreds of cracks outside and tiles that were cracking and popping up in the house. We also noticed a smell in the house that was unrecognizable and couldn’t figure out what was going on. In June of 2011 we were pulling up the carpet in our back room because we have 2 large dogs and to our horror, we had large cracks which ran from one side of the house to the other. When the carpet was removed the smell got even worse. Smelled like plastic was burning. I was sick everyday for almost a year living there. Headaches turned into migraines, then vertigo and eventually cancer.

In 2011, we went on vacation and noticed that my symptoms got better being out of the house, and upon returning my symptoms returned within a day. Right then, we positively knew it was the house. My daughter woke up everyday with headaches and one of my dogs lost a lot of her hair as well. Not taking any more chances with our health, we decided that we should move out of our new home.

We moved out and it didn’t take long for all of us to start feeling better. A few months went by and we had verbal confirmation from Citizens that we definitely had a sinkhole but didn’t receive written confirmation until February, 2012.

Citizens has been playing a game with us since we moved out of our home in August 2011. They ordered us to pay for chemical testing of what was coming out of the ground and then denied Additional Living Expense coverage because they said that chemical exposure was not covered. They sent us (2) checks in the amounts of $4,900 and another one for $22,000. These checks are bogus as they don’t even cover anything, and besides they were never cashed. The $4,900 check was sent to our Public Adjuster after we fired him and it was never forwarded to us. We got estimates for repairs and they totaled $125,000 to repair our home plus an additional $100,000 for stabilization for a grand total of $225,000 to do it right. Citizens repair total was $123,000 for everything including stabilization. We are over $100,000 apart in repairs, how could this be??? Citizens ghetto rigs everything to their advantage.

In April 2012 I was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer, did the smells in the house trigger this?

Fast forward to today, December 3, 2013 we are now years into this and nothing has been done. Citizens took our money for our coverage and they haven’t done anything for us. We are now in foreclosure with our home as I stated earlier because we couldn’t afford to pay for 2 homes and only live in one. So Citizens wins, this is not right. They continue to postpone doing the right thing for us homeowners so they leave us vulnerable to these situations which results in us losing our homes and then they don’t have to pay ONE SINGLE PENNY. Who wins, CITIZENS every time of course!

This came from Charlie Crist who is a coward. I’ve written to him many times and he just ignores the facts.

“Citizens Property Insurance Corporation seems to have forgotten that it was created to serve people during their time of need. It seems to have forgotten that the people of Florida are the boss, and the corporation is there to serve them – not the other way around”. “It’s time we remind Citizens Property Insurance of its statutory and moral duty to the people of Florida”.

There should be a class action lawsuit against Citizens for people like us. We wish we could still be in our home. We asked them if they would put their own families in harms way and they all said that they wouldn’t, why should we?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2013

Neighbor claimed she was bitten by one of our dogs when her dogs (3) got into it with 2 of our dogs at the fence. Neighbor claims our dog bit her three times on the leg through the fence during the fence incident. Deputy came out, met our dogs involved in the fence incident. Neighbor would not let Deputy meet her dogs. My wife was at the fence the whole time and neighbor is 250 lb plus. She could not even get her leg close to fence because of her stature. Was bitten by her own dog Deputy even wrote report as such. Citizen settled case even after deposition from neighbor stating explicitly which dog of ours bit her. The dog she claims bit her has a canine tooth missing and vet took tooth out four years before. Bite mark shows canine teeth intact.

Insurance company lawyer and insurance company would not go to court "cheaper to pay", "in our best interest". Then letter from insurance company to euthanize the dog, they picked one dog and "since they could not determine which dog bit the neighbor", hers or ours, we were told to euthanize one of our dogs to maintain coverage with Citizen. The most PISS poor company ever.

Don't rely on this company, the lawyer representing "us" will not even let me have the case file and never asked us if we were willing to got to court and bear any additional costs to prove our innocence. We were removed from the process and decision making contrary to the law which states that lawyers paid by an insurance company are to represent the client's interest, not the insurance company's interest. Once again, beware of Citizen Insurance. They do not and will not defend you in your best interest.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

My windstorm nightmare began in May of 2013. First, I had a good State Farm homeowner policy, but my bank Third Federal changed the terms of my mortgage contract after 6 years and demanded that I provide them with windstorm coverage, giving me only 20 days to secure it. I stupidly went with Peoples Trust because they could issue a policy within 48 hours. The catch with them is that they get a whole lot of money upfront before an inspection. Then they did an inspection and made up a bunch of lies so they could cancel me. Like State Farm they want to cherry pick and I am east of U.S.

I applied to citizens and they took my money but are already picking apart my house and trying to cancel me, asking me if my windows are broken because my shutters are down on the east side of the house. Also they want to know why Peoples Trust cancelled me. I invited them to inspect my house. If I don't get this policy, my bank will force place insurance and I cannot afford the payments. I just want to get through the winter season and sell my house. With the money left over, I am going to move to central Florida and buy something cash. I would rather live in a trailer than subject myself to this crap, where banks can add thousands to your payment and foreclose you out.

I will go back to basic homeowners insurance. I don't need or want windstorm insurance. I grew up in Miami and our house went through 20 hurricanes with no damage. I will take my chances rather than pay $5,000 a year for nothing. The reason they charge so much is they have to pay no matter where the storm hits. I feel my chances of getting a direct hit is small. I live in Pompano Beach and had NO damage from Andrew and no damage from Wilma. The whole thing is a lot of hype so they can ** people. Anyone whose house is paid for should consider dropping windstorm and just keeping homeowners. Six years of premiums will pay for a new roof.

I want to sell and get out of Broward County. I don't know why anyone would want to buy here. I guess this place is just for the very rich anymore. Everyone

on this site is being forced out of their home. It is an outrage that our state allows this to happen. These insurance companies give huge campaign funds to the governor and insurance commissioner so they will let State Farm and others cherry pick and we are all at the mercy of Citizens. When they cancel you, you have no options. All I know is I can't wait to get out of So. Fla and buy something cash so I will never be forced out of my home again. I am so happy that I still have some equity in my house even if have to sell it quickly. I should have enough to modestly start over.

Central Florida will never get a cat 4 or 5 and the homes are much cheaper. A CBS home should withstand a cat 1-3 with little or no damage. I for one will stay off the coasts and take my chances. NEVER again will I borrow money on my home. Things are not the same as they were 20 years ago. The world has become a heartless, brutal, cruel place that will eat you alive. I am going into survival mode against the forces that be, whether state or federal. That's another story. Now we even have force placed health insurance. I hope that my rant will help some people and get them thinking of some of the options they still have left. Leave this godforsaken place. God bless everybody who had contributed to this site. I feel better just knowing that I am not alone and there are others with the same problems I have.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2013

After opening my letter, I was shocked to see the price for my Citizen Insurance. Nothing has been changed around my house and there has not been even any hurricanes. I also learned that Citizen has been sued by many Miami Lawyers and that those who sued Citizen raked in a lot of money... court fees, attorney fees and Citizen had to pay for their damages. Those who did not sue Citizen like myself, I have had no problems with my house and now I am paying for their lawsuit damage? I found another home insurance and I am switching. This is going to continue to go up and there is nothing we can do about it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

I don't understand why we are paying for an insurance commish. They do nothing to control this so-called company. It's a joke with what they get away with. I would like to know who does the audit on this so-called company. When our governor ran for office, he was going to fix this problem only to have gotten worse. I will remember this when we elect a new governor.

Original review: July 6, 2013

Citizens raised my premium by 140%, causing my mortgage company to raise my payment from $900.00 to $1,500.00. I cannot pay and I can’t sell my house with a $5,500.00 insurance tab. If I sell, I may lose $50k to $100k on the price of my home of 25 years. I am between a rock and a hard place. Desperate.

Original review: June 4, 2013

Every year, I had an increase on my policy. Last year an increase of $350, and this year an increase of $438. How can I pay this? I have to leave my house because of the higher cost of insurance!!

Original review: May 17, 2013

In November 2012, I received a Notice of Assumption from Citizens. They gave me 30 days to decline Citizens moving my policy to Homeowners Choice. I called my agency and they said Homeowners Choice is cheaper. I agreed to have my policy moved over to Citizens. Now I get the policy amount from Homeowners Choice and it is over 25% more than my Citizens policy. I now called Citizens and explained the situation, and they don't care. They will not continue my current policy. I've been deceived by both Citizens and Homeowners Choice insurance. If you are happy with your Citizens policy, don't agree to have them transfer you to another company. Total ripoff!

Original review: April 21, 2013

I have a rental property in which there was a theft that occurred twice within a month. I have tenants who signed a lease 15 days after the previous tenants were evicted. My property sustained so much damage, because the tenants were utterly disgusting. This resulted in me having to make the home habitable before my new tenants could move in. Needless to say, during the course of trying to make repairs, the home was destroyed. The thieves had taken the refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer, the kitchen sink, the copper pipes for the plumbing, the 3 ton a/c unit and the air handler, all the lighting fixtures in the home. Total cost to replace and repair is over $20,000. The claim was denied because my new tenants "were not physically in the home".

The second time the tenants were living in the home. In the police report it states that the tenants left for the evening to go to Port St. Lucie to return the following morning to find that the minor repairs were once again stolen (copper pipes). But further damage was done: the electrical panel was ripped out of the wall; the meter box was taken off the house; and the wires leading to the home for the electricity was cut.

Citizens Insurance stated in so many words that this was fishy. There were no signs of a break-in. The police stated that it was most likely the previous tenants, but I really could not do anything because I did not physically see them take the items out of the house. I don't know what to do! I am beyond frustrated. I've been told to obtain an attorney. That's more money that I don't have.

Original review: April 11, 2013

My policy more than doubled from last year to this year. We even had to put a new roof on the get covered. We have never filed a claim. How do we fight this increase?

Original review: March 27, 2013

Just seeing all these complaints about Citizens. I have owned my home in Florida for 22 years. I had water damage from a storm. An adjuster for FEMA claimed it was for sure coming from windblown rain and suggested I just make a claim with Citizens, my insurance company. The FEMA adjuster was an expert opinion, thanks to a friend. Before the Citizens adjuster even walked up the driveway, he said he knew where the water was coming from and it was due to my having sprinklers too close to the house. Twenty two years and they have been in the same place. The adjuster was about 5 foot tall, if that means anything to anyone.

Bottom line: I paid to have it repaired. Citizens is for sure a joke and everyone is at the mercy of this captive insurance. I will dance on its grave when it is all over. Sorry to see this 100% dissatisfaction score.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2013

Their flagrant use of premiums paid to live their lavish lifestyle is an insult to the intelligence of the people that pay their wages. Typical bureaucratic type mentality that causes these people to assume they can spend money on their lifestyles and collect huge salaries, while they continue to fund their lifestyles by raising rates and saying they don't have enough. Identical to any governmental agency. They should all be terminated. Go to the people that requested the investigation. Sickening.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2012

I received a letter from Citizens stating that they were going to “soon be conducting a home inspection of my property. The purpose was to verify that the structural characteristics of the home reflect what they have on record, and to insure that I was paying the appropriate premiums.” Just several months ago, I had given Citizens a list of items and forms which they requested answer these very questions. I gave them photos of the entire exterior of my home, photos of the hurricane strapping in the attic; I had cut holes in my walls to show them the hurricane strapping. I hired a certified builder to fill out their forms. They accepted this info and gave me a new policy.

Now, they want to have someone come into our homes and do whatever they want i.e., photos, etc. When I received the letter, I felt something was not right. They will find the smallest thing and use it as an excuse to justify raising out the premiums. The letter goes on to say, “If you refuse to make your property unavailable to an inspector or if the inspector is prevented from completing an adequate inspection, the policy will be adjusted to remove any credits for wind resistive features that cannot be verified by the inspector.” I had taken the phone call from an inspector whom was trying to set up a time to come and inspect. I spoke with him and he told me he did not know why they were inspecting and that he personally did not agree with what Citizens was doing. He said he was there to take pictures and look up permits for the work done on the home to verify items.

I asked him to get back with me in a couple of days; this is the holiday time and we (like everyone else) are busy running. I needed time to speak with my agent as well. Someone or a group needs to start a class action lawsuit against Citizens. If it where my expertise, I would lead the pack. I understand that they want to be accurate and fair to themselves, but the heart of what they are doing is completely wrong. When there is a monopoly like Citizens greed will set in and take root. Competition is healthy and secures integrity.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2012

I am a property manager of residential properties in the East Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area. About 90% of the properties that we manage are covered by Citizens Insurance. During the last year, not only has Citizens increased the premiums on all policies, but it also decreased the coverage and exclusions from their policies. I am currently working on three policies with Citizens where they are giving me all kinds of unreasonable reasons for cancellations and/or increases. I will detail just a few of the problems that I am going through.

Policy #1: Policy for a Palm Beach property - We filed for coverage and fulfilled all the requirements and processed payment online (it was accepted). The next day, our agent was advised that the application had been cancelled (even though the payment was accepted) because the payment had not been processed before a certain time of the morning. No problem, we re-filed the application, had to sign another form about a special assessment in case of a hurricane, etc. We did it. A week later, the agent receives a memo that the policy was being cancelled because they had no pictures of the new roof and copy of the paid invoice (which we had already sent the first time). We resubmitted the documents and they came back. Then they needed pictures of a washer hose that according to their inspector was leaking. We sent the pictures (not enough) and they requested a copy of the paid bill. Oh and by the way, they needed a copy of the roofer's paid invoice with a license # on it. Both were provided. This whole process goes into two weeks by now. We are waiting to see if they will be so kind as to reinstate/cancel their cancellation notice for 12/2/12.

Policy #2: Duplex in East Fort Lauderdale - Back in April of 2012, Citizens requested a mitigation report because they were reviewing the policy before renewal. We hired an inspection company, paid for the report, and submitted it to Citizens. Citizens agreed that we had been overcharged and gave us a credit on the policy. The renewal came up in June of 2012 and we renewed the policy. In August, we got a notice from Citizens requesting to make arrangements to have their inspector go to the property for an inspection. After the inspection, we received a letter advising us of a premium increase. I asked for a copy of the report and comparing it to the earlier report saw major differences. Since both inspectors were referred by the insurance co., I contacted our agent. She in return contacted the first inspector and his advise was to hire someone to re-nail every strap on the roof, as the latest inspector might have found the only weakest spot (insane) and then asked for a one-time free re-inspection. I can see that they will not do anything about this.

Policy #3: House East Fort Lauderdale - I just received a letter from Citizens advising us of an increase in the premium due to the fact that after several attempts, we did not cooperate to have the inspection required by Citizens done. Completely untrue. We set up the first appointment with their inspector, sat at the house for one hour and the inspector never showed up or called. We set up a second inspection with the inspector and had to cancel it the day before. No one returned our call or confirmed that the appointment was cancelled. We received a call the next day saying that the inspector had been there and there was no one to let him in. We advised that we had called the previous day to cancel and had left a message and were told that their schedule is busy and that they could not reschedule. These are just three of the many problems we are having with Citizens. All these owners have paid their premiums for years and had no claims and now Citizens is just trying to harass them with increase after increase. Someone needs to take some type of measurement about this.

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Company Information