Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.0/5 (15 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Chubb Auto Insurance

Chubb sells various types of insurance, including auto coverage. The company offers auto policies for vehicles of all kinds, including classic, specialty and collector cars. Its plans are customizable and geared toward luxury automobiles. Policyholders can choose their preferred repair shop.

Pros

• Customizable policies
  • Customer picks their repair shop
  • Classic car coverage

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Limited discounts

Bottom Line

Chubb offers premium auto coverage for high-income drivers with luxury vehicles. The company has plan options for specialty and classic cars, and it lets you work with the mechanic of your choice.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Chubb auto insurance

Chubb is a leading U.S. commercial lines insurer. With operations in 54 countries and territories worldwide, it provides insurance plans for individuals and businesses with classic cars and other vehicles. Its services include pre-claim restoration, collision repair and covered loss. It also offers rental reimbursement, rental damage reimbursement, international rental and roadside assistance. With comprehensive coverage, car value is guaranteed before a covered loss.

How does Chubb auto insurance work?

You can get a free quote by calling Chubb’s customer care line. With benefits like unlimited rental reimbursement of up to $15,000 a day, coverage for original manufacturer parts and removal of personal info in the event of a vehicle’s totaling, Chubb generally caters to more expensive vehicles. The Chubb Mobile Estimate App provides a convenient way to calculate damages and settle claims. The app also lets you pay bills and view your ID cards.

Chubb auto insurance quotes and costs

Chubb provides various coverage features and insurance policies not offered by many auto insurance companies. Its plans are generally geared toward drivers with a high net worth who can afford premium services, and the website doesn’t list rates, discounts or deals.

Chubb auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Chubb?
Evan Greenberg is the CEO of Chubb. In January 2016, ACE Limited acquired the company.
Where is Chubb located?
Chubb is currently headquartered in Warren, New Jersey.
Is Chubb an American company?
Yes, Chubb is an American company. The origins of Chubb go back to 1882, in the seaport district of New York City.
Where is Chubb available?
Chubb’s insurance is currently available in 54 countries and territories.

Is Chubb a good insurance company?

Chubb offers specialized services and coverage at a higher rate for those who can afford it. It’s good for drivers with a high net worth, especially those with collector or classic cars. It offers comprehensive coverage, rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance and original manufacturer part coverage. Policyholders also get unlimited mileage and their choice of repair shop. Ultimately, Chubb probably isn’t ideal for those looking to save money on car insurance.

Chubb Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chubb Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chubb Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

So, I've waited two years to see if my opinion on this has changed. It hasn't. I was a Chubb customer for over a decade. My lowest bill from them, monthly, was $400 and that's with a "pay in full yearly" discount. So, I paid these guys $48,000 at minimum. In 2018 my car, a 2016 WRX, was destroyed by a hail storm. This storm also caused a heavy Waste Management trash can to come floating down the road and smack the bumper. Also, keep in mind that this is the first claim I ever made with them in 10+ years of being a customer.

Now, Chubb called this "two incidents", each requiring an individual deductible. OK, whatever. But what really got me about this was that they wanted one of their "preferred" shops to do all the work. Also acceptable UNTIL I found out that they were going to do it all with Bondo rather than replacing the hood, roof, trunk, side panels, etc. Why? Because if they did the job correctly the car was totaled. So, Chubb's customer service folks tell me that they're going to cut me a check for $7000 and another check for $14,000, totalling $21,000 over this whole thing. That WOULD have been acceptable. I'd even have been willing to sign the title over to them for this and just gone out and purchased a new car for ~$8000. But instead what happens is that the second check for $14,000 never shows up. So, I call them and ask if it's been lost, or delayed or whatnot.

I'm then informed that this check is never coming because the incident has been "reviewed" and it's been found that they don't owe me that $14,000 unless I'm willing to agree that they can pay that money directly to their preferred shop (which is the one that wants to bondo the entire car and essentially wreck its value). Is this my insurance policy or is it some body shop's policy? So, I'm stuck with a choice; let them "fix" the car which is now essentially going to be a hair's breadth away from being a salvage title, which is to say take a massive loss on the value of the car because it will be reported to CarFax that its body was essentially destroyed and not repaired correctly, or take the $7000 and eat the loss. Either way, I lose and I lose in the five-digits price range.

Ultimately either way this goes I'm out the value of the car less $7000 which is to say that at this point I basically took a $19,000 loss at best. This, from a company that's taken, realistically, more than $50,000 from me in premiums and COULD take the car, repair it on the cheap, or part it out at auction for even more money to defray the cost (possibly even coming out ahead considering the engine with the mileage at the time was worth about $12,000 by itself and then there's the drive-train which is highly prized too) of totaling it out for me.

Suffice to say; I canceled that policy and went with another company with a small lizard for its mascot. If I'm going to be treated like garbage by an insurance company then I'm not going to pay premium prices for the privilege. Terrible company, awful service, deceitful policies and just generally not worth the prices they charge. Did they ever even try to make it right? No. They told me to kick rocks at every turn. Really, I should have sued them on principle.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I was told I would receive a refund on the stay at home credit (COVID) on my incredibly expensive insurance that I paid out even though I was going to cancel at my renewal but now I am told I was told wrong. All the other insurance companies that I know paid out by check already to refund on this. I am so disappointed and would never recommend this insurance company and will never use them again. They are 3 times the amount that I pay now with my new company and know I will receive any future credits from experience from other people.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2020

My husband was hit by one of their clients in a parking lot. We had a police report and insurance information. Submitted the claim to Chubb and they denied it saying their client denies being there. Awful company. We noted we had the police report and estimate and were still told they have to believe their client and they refuse to pay. Needless to say we will be speaking to a lawyer.

Original review: May 11, 2020

On two separate occasions over the course of different years the claims department approved wellness claims but failed to print and mail check. Online I tried to do self service claim one year for my son thinking I could avoid issues all together, WRONG, only part of the claim was paid mistakenly and he had to wait to get the second portion of the check. Since Covid-19 things are much worse! It has been over a week and no supervisor has called me back to address why the claim was approved but no check ever ordered to be printed. I know the check will come eventually that is not the real issue. The issue is why the same mistake keeps reoccurring and why NOTHING is being done to correct it. Since mergers OF Ace/Chubb issues have emerged!!!! Time for mandatory training Chubb for your claims department line staff and upper management alike to hold someone accountable for the breakdown in the system!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I am just beginning the wonderful experience of dealing with yet another irresponsible driver in the wonderful U.S. of A (shout out Aimee from Austin). The "team member" from Chubb Insurance already lying to me and then telling me to be quiet. Go ** yourself Eduardo or Carlos or whatever your name was. Peace and love, peace in love.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

They went from my favorite insurance company to worst ever. After a burst pipe and a hail claim all totaling under 75k, they declined to renew me with less than 30 days notice. I am a high net worth individual as well. Instead of continued recommendations to friends and associates, I will now be spreading the word to avoid them like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Chubb has been a terrible company to try and deal with. Their client hit me after she ran a red light on my dash cam. It is clear. I talked to 4 people before I could finally get someone on the phone who could help me. Then they wanted me to go to the lowest rated auto body shop near me to get the work done or they would have to send out an estimator. Oh no. You have to send someone out to do what your client pays you to do which is take care of ME. I’m so sorry. I care about ME right now. Me getting around. Me getting to work, my family getting fed, my family being safe. I spent two days calling numbers and talking to people before I could even get a rental car out of them. If you have Chubb insurance and hit me. From now on we are calling the cops right when I see it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

So my wife was in an accident 3 weeks ago with a customer of theirs who caused the accident, keep getting the runaround about a rental car saying, "Call back at end of week!" My wife is driving mine which is bad on gas, she has to pick up 3 kids as well as our own. We are tired of the no answer phone calls and need a rental. They keep telling us they can’t do anything until their team reviews it, 3 weeks ago it happened, **! Sorry we don’t drive a Tesla like the woman who hit my wife and can’t just get into another car.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have a claim after an accident in Mexico that was denied for a technicality reason. They are crooks. I fell into a huge hole in the street and damage the bike for a tune of $7K. Don’t buy from them anything.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Don't buy anything from these guys. I travelled to Mexico and had an accident on the way down. They offered me no help to get from the accident back to civilization. I ended up paying a private citizen to drive me and my belongings to my destination. I submitted a proper receipt and proof of payment. They sent me an email indicating that I was denied. They gave no coherent explanation as to why and they ignored all my questions. They are crooks in my opinion.

Chubb Auto Insurance Company Information