Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

1.8/5 (10 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About California FAIR Plan

California FAIR Plan is an insurance association made up of private companies in the California area. It’s specifically designed for home and property owners that struggle to find coverage due to the likelihood of natural disasters or crime in their area. It provides policies for commercial properties, mobile homes, traditional homes and other structures.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is California FAIR Plan?

California FAIR Plan is an insurance conglomerate that provides coverage for those living in high-risk areas (due to frequent wildfires, earthquakes, etc.) in California. It isn’t a state agency; instead, it's a private association that helps ensure all California residents get adequate coverage to protect their homes and property from natural disasters.

California FAIR Plan coverage

Applying for home insurance can be difficult if you live in an area vulnerable to natural disasters like wildfires and earthquakes. California FAIR Plan offers coverage for high-risk properties that private insurance companies might not be willing to cover. This insurance is available for any property in California, including mobile homes. Some of the coverages the FAIR Plan offers:

• Dwelling: Coverage for homeowners and tenants (the website lists stringent specifications for this), including owners who seasonally occupy a home, have a vacant property or own a condo unit, as well as renters and their personal property.
  • Commercial and course of construction: Covers losses due to fire, lightning or explosion; for buildings with five or more units, such as retail, office, manufacturing or commercial spaces.
  • Business owners: Designed for small- to medium-size businesses. It covers fire, lightning, explosions, windstorm, hail, smoke damage and more.
  • CEA-earthquake: Protects against earthquakes; designed for one- to four-family residential properties and condominiums. To apply for this coverage, you'll need to be a California FAIR Plan policyholder already.

California FAIR Plan rates

The California FAIR Plan website has info on its policies, coverages and application process, but it doesn’t disclose its rates or premiums. Because it’s an insurance provider for homeowners with properties that are difficult to insure, its policies could be on the pricier side. You can call or email the company to get further details about its coverage rates.

California FAIR Plan FAQ

What does a California FAIR Plan policy cover?
The California FAIR Plan covers high-risk homes, businesses and other property from damages due to natural disasters, but you can add optional policies for both residential and commercial properties.
Who owns California FAIR Plan?
California FAIR Plan is an association made up of all private insurers in the state of California.
What's the purpose of California FAIR Plan’s policies?
California FAIR Plan ensures that California residents are able to protect their residential or commercial property in high-risk areas.
What requirements must I meet to qualify for California FAIR Plan insurance?
To qualify for California FAIR Plan’s home insurance, you must have been denied by other insurance companies and live in an area that's considered high risk.

Is California FAIR Plan good insurance?

California FAIR Plan offers basic insurance for properties likely to be affected by wildfires or earthquakes. Its coverage isn’t comprehensive, but it’s ideal for those who’ve had a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. If you live in a high-risk property in California and are struggling to find a home insurance provider, we suggest checking out California FAIR Plan’s policies.

California FAIR Plan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about California FAIR Plan?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about California FAIR Plan?

Original review: June 26, 2021

The insurance covers for fire, internal explosion and external vandalism. Homeowners pay $1,166 per year, and it is a compulsory program which provides fair access to people who find it very difficult in insuring their property. The insurance is governed by board which includes the California insurance commissioner and insurance company executives. This year, 2021, it gave a fat discount for people to be involved and applied. One can apply directly or through a broker. Usually properties are inspected when completing your application form. Based in inspection, you may be advised to put in place fire extinguisher or at times clearing brush from property.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We had wind damage in Feb 2021. It's now late June 2021 and is still unresolved. I had 25 K in damage and the Fair Plan wants me to settle for 11.5 K. Dominique ** is my CFP rep. If you get this guy, God help you. He sound smooth and competent but If he is talking - he is lying. The claims process has been 1000% more traumatizing than the wind damage.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I have a cabin in the mountains. I have it insured with California FAIR Plan because it is a mountain cabin. Other companies like State Farm, Farmers, etc. will not insure it. I have been using California Fair Insurance for about 14 years, always pay on time and have never made a claim. I just received my policy billing for 2021 and found that they have increased my policy billing by over 55.5% over what I paid in 2020. As a comparison, this new rate makes my payment 198% the amount I pay for my primary home which is twice the size of the cabin and carries far more coverage.

Original review: July 29, 2020

When continuously getting cancelled or my rate tripling by other insurance companies, I was able to get covered by the Fair Plan. They did send an inspector out to the property and we were notified to replace the roof and paint the house and do wood repair. We were given 6 months to get the jobs completed, but then COVID hit, which caused delays. I emailed requesting an extension and a week later they gave us another month to complete the job. I sent off the documents to them via email, and my rate was renewed at the same rate. I appreciate being able to get this coverage considering the option of losing my home due to not being able to get insurance elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Cancelled reasons: did not remove all brush, trees within 15 feet of home. I removed everything to the neighbors’ property lines. Neighbors won’t let me remove anything on their property. Neighbors can still get Homeowners fire insurance with no problems. But I can’t even get CFP or buy a plan from either of the neighbors’ insurance companies. Anybody have any answers besides moving.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I was calling on behalf of the lender to have the Dec page and Mortgage clause corrected and they are neither willing to listen, do not have the patience nor are willing to help. They did even want to stand by the policy that apparently they follow when asked to send an email stating the same! I would not even give a star, but then there is nothing lesser to click on!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

Recently CFP canceled my hazard coverage because "no change in brush exposure." I got the "need to clear 200 ft of brush from house" also. So, I did. Their "special inspector" came out and reinspected; he said everything looks good and shouldn't be a problem. Three weeks later I get canceled. WTH--No change in brush exposure?! This has to be a friggin mistake.

I have a 200 ft ring of dirt, rocks and boulders around my house now and thousands in bills I paid to a contractor to mow down over 1 acre of brush 200 ft from my house as required by CFP. They too want me to cut down a small portion of my neighbors brush that was 156 ft from my house... really!!! San Diego County, CDF and Fire code is 50 ft radius cleared then thinned to 100 ft, that's all they need to defend a house. So, I called them up to let them know I thought there's an error in the report or got me mixed up with another property. They said "no and it is what it is... Sorry, have a nice day. Anything else we can help you with?"! No room for compromising with these clowns... "We don't have to insure and we're not going to." So, now I have no insurance.

Original review: May 16, 2014

I applied insurance and obtained it, California Fair Plan made me jump through hoops to keep it. They said I had a month to paint it, I did it. Then they gave me a time limit to cut the trees back and put fire extinguishers in, I met the time limit. Then they said, since they were not occupied they could not insure me and cancelled me. I had just purchased these 3 homes and wanted to make them safe for the new residents. Now that they are all rented they still refuse to insure them. I would have to insure them out of Arizona if I want them insured.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2011

We have several residents insured by California Fair Plan who do not understand the dangers that are not maintained can cause significant danger and cost to adjoining neighbor property.

My neighbors located at ** are insured by California Fair Plan. Both homeowners have trees on their properties that have been noted by certified tree arborist should not be growing in a major hillside fire zone. During the last major fire in the Sierra Madre hillside, I witnessed branches on trees burning. Those burned trees remain on the property. The new owner of this property is not educated on the safety and maintenance of trees. A major pine tree belonging to the owner continues to stand and pose a property danger to approximately four neighboring homes in its immediate proximity.

A certified arborist has recommended the removable of this pine tree due to the location, size and type of tree. The tree is noted to be so tall that there is a concern of the tree being struck by lighting. The arborist noted that it should never have been allowed to grow in its present location. Permission was requested to approve the removable of this tree. The owner notes that she wishes to keep the tree on her property because she moved in our area because, "she likes trees". She was informed of what the arborist recommended and she did approve a tree trimming.

At least, I will be able to remove the danger of falling and burning limbs on my home. Trees are great until you see them burning near your home. Another person insured by your company located at ** maintains the same uneducated thinking in the maintenance and planting of trees on his property. He recently planted a pine tree that has been deemed extremely dangerous and a high fire hazard in a high fire zone. An arborist at the Arcadia Arboretum did not recommend the planting of this tree for the same reasons as previously stated. What happens to the homeowners responsibility for the safety and danger that his/her trees present to their neighbor's properties?

Fire season is here and I do not wish to contribute towards the dangers of the fire season.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2011

Our premium was raised by 100%. The California Department of Insurance allowed the FAIR Plan to increase the rates with a cap of 100%. Our house is cleared of all brush, with gravel around the house. We are adjacent to Bailey Canyon, either owned by the city of Sierra Madre or LA County. Neither will clear their brush. I have not been given a reason for the increase.

This is not a fair rate increase. Their page on Facebook indicates that most people will see an increase of 6.7%, not 100%.

California FAIR Plan Company Information