Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

1.7/5 (11 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About California FAIR Plan

California FAIR Plan is an insurance association made up of private companies in the California area. It’s specifically designed for home and property owners that struggle to find coverage due to the likelihood of natural disasters or crime in their area. It provides policies for commercial properties, mobile homes, traditional homes and other structures.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

California FAIR Plan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about California FAIR Plan?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about California FAIR Plan?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2011

Our premium was raised by 100%. The California Department of Insurance allowed the FAIR Plan to increase the rates with a cap of 100%. Our house is cleared of all brush, with gravel around the house. We are adjacent to Bailey Canyon, either owned by the city of Sierra Madre or LA County. Neither will clear their brush. I have not been given a reason for the increase.

This is not a fair rate increase. Their page on Facebook indicates that most people will see an increase of 6.7%, not 100%.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2010

California Fair plan wants us to clear brush 200 feet. The problem is that the brush is not on our property. The property is owned by the city of Sierra Madre, CA. We have contacted the city and city fire department but they say they don't have the money to clear the brush.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2010

I contacted California Fair Plan on October 21, 2009 regarding vandalism damage to my leased property to tenant. The adjuster and I made arrangements for assessment of damages when tenant was evicted. In the meantime, Fair Plan and Associates came around looking for faults in my property while the tenant had and left it a mess. I am to clean up, and I have begun to remedy all damages. Adjuster came out after eviction (approximately Nov. 28th, 2009). Damages were assessed by adjuster on Dec. 1, 2009.

Bad tenant damaged my home! Fair Plan will not remedy but want to stress for Fair Plan to stop its stress maneuvers and address the damages inside my home as follow: knocked out windows, attempted replacement with plastic, torn screens, damaged, busted security door, busted damaged interior doors and wall; cabinets, door jam/facing, floors, and ceiling fans hanging out of celling; ripped up vinyl and wood flooring, missing components, and altered locks on all doors which are security doors.

Tenant breached contract for her responsibilities avoiding me, and keeping me from my property work. Fair Plan needs to get business with what the tenant did. The outside is a distraction from the inside of my home. Work is being done but Fair Plan should stop creating havoc with vandalism on property! Fair Plan is deceptive!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2009

We Have cleared our property from brush, they said that we need to clear 200 feet. California code is 30-100 feet. They send inspector over, and We have brush at 173 feet on the left and 160 feet on the back not 200. It is not fair over 173 and 160 is not my property.

They charging us $900 more becouse of it . That A California Unfair Plan for you.
Original review: Sept. 2, 2009

California Property Insurance gave us notice of non-renewal, stating that they are not renewing our insurance for non-compliance with their recommendations. California Fair plan wants us to clear brush 200 feet. The problem with this is that the brush is not in our property. California Fair plan wants us to clear brush and cut trees from our neighbor's property. We provided them with the owner's name. California Fair plan responded that they could not locate any fair plan policy holders with the names we provided. They wanted us to be solely responsible for this. We stated that it's not lawful to just trespass and start cutting trees beyond our property line. Their answer to this issue was to not renew our property insurance.

It is not fair because we could not do anything at this point as the property they want us to clear is not ours. Please help me. I do not know where to go. There is no other insurance company that will insure our property. Our neighbor has received numerous citations from the fire department but they choose to ignore this. We do not know what else to do.

California FAIR Plan Company Information