1.8/5 (20 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Brighthouse Financial

Brighthouse Financial is one of the largest life insurance companies in the United States. The company states its mission is to help clients achieve financial security, and it offers two core products: annuities and life insurance. The company is listed on the Nasdaq stock index under the symbol BHF.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Pros

• Competitive rates
    • Minimal fees
    • Extensive coverage
    • Cash value buildup

Cons

• Requires extra steps
    • Limited offerings

Bottom Line

Overall, Brighthouse Financial is a good choice for annuities or life insurance coverage. Consider the Brighthouse SmartCare product if you’re planning your financial future.

Brighthouse Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?

Original review: July 14, 2021

Agent was professional and found a time to meet with me that was convenient for me. The product is affordable. She found a plan that works for my budget. It was very easy to get things set up and my agent has followed thru with me on other products also.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Do not get a life insurance policy with Brighthouse Life Insurance Company. After taking my money for 10 straight years that mailed me a letter increasing the monthly amount by 1000% percent. No one will answer my questions, I was placed on hold for 45 minutes when I asked for the Legal department. The Customer Service here is awful! No one should have to FAX a complaint to them! There are better Life Insurance companies out there - don't buy from them. You are rewarding bad behavior.

Original review: April 25, 2021

Brighthouse is a great company. My family and I have had only positive experiences dealing with the representatives from Brighthouse. They have highly competitive rates and an easy purchase experience!

Original review: April 23, 2021

Brighthouse is a fantastic company! I own a Brighthouse Financial life insurance policy and am very happy with it. Very easy purchase experience and always easy to make routine updates like address changes!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Purchased an annuity thru Metlife in 2015, Metlife sold to Brighthouse. Payments always on time however for past 2 months payments have been late. Today is 1/22/2021 and still waiting for payment that was supposedly sent out on 1/5/2021. Spoke with representative who was no help but did say she was emailing me information regarding my contract. Still have not received the email. I am extremely dissatisfied with Brighthouse.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

On December 8, 2020 my checking account was deducted for a loan payment. The same draft number was deducted again for the same amount on December 9, 2020. I contacted customer support four times and Research and Resolution three times in an effort to have this problem corrected. To date this problem has not been handled satisfactorily. With each call I am told that "they" are working on it. I have asked for a manager's name and an email address and was not obliged. I was given a manager to speak to this morning (my 7th call) and he gave me an email address to send a copy of the draft from the bank as evidence that the money had been deducted 2 times. I emailed the requested information. It has been 2 hours since I sent that email and no response yet. I am extremely frustrated and stressed by the lack of action to correct this error that was discovered and reported to Brighthouse Financial/MetLife a month ago.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I purchased a 10 year term life insurance policy with MetLife. MetLife used to offer an affordable rollover to whole life insurance. Now that Brighthouse has taken over it seems this is no longer the case. After paying ten years of $63.81 per month for a $500k ten-year term policy, I expected to roll my insurance into a whole life policy for around $150 per month. That was the estimate when I bought the policy. With no explanation Brighthouse now wants $361 per month to continue the policy. I am 51 years old, fit and healthy. It seems we are simply numbers to Brighthouse. Don’t buy their insurance. I have another $50k policy that I purchased thirty years ago with MetLife, now Brighthouse. I will now be cancelling this policy too out of distrust and distain for this company. Don’t put up with corporate bad behaviour.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

After numerous calls, emails and even talking to a customer service representative I have still not been able to have two issues resolved. First, I haven't been able to log in and look at my account. Last month I was told there was an update and to try again in October. This is October 20 and there is still an 'error' while trying to log in. Secondly, I want to take advantage of the option in the CARES act this year an not take my RMD. No doubt it is as simple as completing a form but I haven't been able to speak to a live person who can help with this. I have been on hold today for 47 minutes so far this morning. As a customer I should not have to continue to reach out to get these issues resolved this many times!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Have had an annuity with Met Life for years, never a problem. Changed to Brighthouse Financial and nothing but problems. For over a week trying to get information regarding my annuity, computers are down, call customer service and they can't give us any information. Problem transferring computer system. This is absurd.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Ever since Brighthouse Financial took over Life insurance from Met Life, their service, quality and caliber of people has decline. We are on our 4th call after several disconnects and wait times to do something as simple as getting the billing address on a policy changed. The people are all polite and patronizing but not very competent or their systems are inefficient. You should not need to go through 20 questions on identity just for them to confirm their own records that they are sending the bills to the wrong place - They admitted that - just can't seem to fix it. I shudder to think how these people would handle a legitimate Claim when someone really needed help.

Brighthouse Financial Company Information